PDA

View Full Version : Utah vs the Weber State purple cats.

Jarid in Cedar
09-02-2013, 01:28 PM
So, despite the rash of FCS victories this last weekend, I don't see one in this game on Saturday. Here are the list of things that I want to see.

1. Offensive domination, in the order of 45+ points.

2. Minimal first string participation after the 1st possession of the second half.

3. Schulz getting real reps, meaning, the full offense. No "we aren't going to pass" to avoid embarrassing them.

4. I hope WSU blitzes every. single. down.

5. Pray for no injuries.

6. Phillips with a chance to kick a 50+ yarder. This is a great game to see what his realistic range is in the flow of a game.

Applejack
09-02-2013, 02:20 PM
For those thinking of hosting friends to watch the football action, here is a tasty culinary suggestion from our Wildcat friends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JcicqWa1l8

Hot Lunch
09-02-2013, 10:18 PM
So, despite the rash of FCS victories this last weekend, I don't see one in this game on Saturday. Here are the list of things that I want to see.

5. Pray for no injuries.

This x10.

UTEopia
09-04-2013, 07:58 AM
I know to BYU RB Jamal Williams, a loss feels like a win, and apparently to many in the media and in Aggie land, Utah's win wasn't really win, but unless the totally unthinkable occurs and the Utes lose to Weber, how do you measure success against a team that you should beat by 4 touchdowns. I don't think point total or point differential will tell the whole story in this game.

I guess here are some things that I would look at:

Did the non-rotation 2's and 3's play all of the 4th quarter and did they hold their own against the Weber. If so, I think that tells me that the 1's took care of business and that the 2's and 3's are starting to develop.

Did the 1 offense average +5 per carry and score at least 30 points through the first 3 quarters. Did the OL clearly control the LOS.

Did the O score it more easily down by the goal line.

Did the 1 defense hold Weber to 3 or less per carry and not allow the Weber receivers to make any big plays downfield.

sancho
09-04-2013, 08:34 AM
I know to BYU RB Jamal Williams, a loss feels like a win, and apparently to many in the media and in Aggie land, Utah's win wasn't really win, but unless the totally unthinkable occurs and the Utes lose to Weber, how do you measure success against a team that you should beat by 4 touchdowns. I don't think point total or point differential will tell the whole story in this game.

I guess here are some things that I would look at:

Did the non-rotation 2's and 3's play all of the 4th quarter and did they hold their own against the Weber. If so, I think that tells me that the 1's took care of business and that the 2's and 3's are starting to develop.

Did the 1 offense average +5 per carry and score at least 30 points through the first 3 quarters. Did the OL clearly control the LOS.

Did the O score it more easily down by the goal line.

Did the 1 defense hold Weber to 3 or less per carry and not allow the Weber receivers to make any big plays downfield.

Apparently Weber has a QB who is a threat to run, so I would say we can look at how well we contain him. This is good practice for Stanford, Oregon, Arizona, BYU, and UCLA.

SoCalPat
09-04-2013, 08:58 AM
This was an average Utah team that throttled a weak FBS team, one probably on par with what we're facing this week.

Gimme a quick start, a stifling defense and a second unit that puts points on the board and I'll say we had a successful game.

http://utahutes.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/091606aaa.html

Applejack
09-04-2013, 09:35 AM
Guys, guys, we already have the OFFICIAL Weber St thread here http://www.utahby5.com/showthread.php?1054-Utah-vs-the-Weber-State-purple-cats! Let's all practice thread preservation!

LA Ute
09-04-2013, 09:52 AM
Guys, guys, we already have the OFFICIAL Weber St thread here http://www.utahby5.com/showthread.php?1054-Utah-vs-the-Weber-State-purple-cats! Let's all practice thread preservation!

Threads have been merged. UTEopia's question is excellent, however, and I hope it continues to generate discussion.

Applejack
09-04-2013, 11:19 AM
I don't think you can measure success against Weber St. In fact, it's the one game this year that I plan on not watching.

If our out-of-conference schedule is going to be (1) USU/BYU (2) Good BCS team (3) creampuff, who would you prefer to see as the creampuff game? Personally, I would do away with the FCS game and schedule a lower-tier MWC team instead, like New Mexico, Wyoming, UNLV, or SDSU (sorry, Aztecs, but it's the truth). I'm not sure they would give us a one-and-done, but I do have nostalgia for our WAC/MWC days.

sancho
09-04-2013, 11:30 AM
I don't think you can measure success against Weber St. In fact, it's the one game this year that I plan on not watching.

If our out-of-conference schedule is going to be (1) USU/BYU (2) Good BCS team (3) creampuff, who would you prefer to see as the creampuff game? Personally, I would do away with the FCS game and schedule a lower-tier MWC team instead, like New Mexico, Wyoming, UNLV, or SDSU (sorry, Aztecs, but it's the truth). I'm not sure they would give us a one-and-done, but I do have nostalgia for our WAC/MWC days.

I wouldn't mind that, but you never know what those teams will look like 5 years out. SDSU looks horrible right now, but they had a great season a couple years back. Eventually, UNM will have a good year again. What if our "creampuff" turns into something scary? Good for fans, I guess, but maybe not good for the season.

That's why the SEC is lucky to be in Sun Belt country. Even in their good years, Sun Belt teams cannot compete with SEC team. The Big10 has the MAC. We used to have the WAC, but BYU killed that thing.

Applejack
09-04-2013, 11:39 AM
I wouldn't mind that, but you never know what those teams will look like 5 years out. SDSU looks horrible right now, but they had a great season a couple years back. Eventually, UNM will have a good year again. What if our "creampuff" turns into something scary? Good for fans, I guess, but maybe not good for the season.

That's why the SEC is lucky to be in Sun Belt country. Even in their good years, Sun Belt teams cannot compete with SEC team. The Big10 has the MAC. We used to have the WAC, but BYU killed that thing.

True, there is some risk involved. But I hate scheduling D-2 teams. Having SOME chance of losing is necessary to make the game interesting, no? I feel like Saturday's game is about as interesting as the Red-White game.

How about Hawaii? USC has a good thing going with their first game of the year on the islands - they always suck.

sancho
09-04-2013, 11:47 AM
True, there is some risk involved. But I hate scheduling D-2 teams. Having SOME chance of losing is necessary to make the game interesting, no? I feel like Saturday's game is about as interesting as the Red-White game.

How about Hawaii? USC has a good thing going with their first game of the year on the islands - they always suck.

I'm fine with your plan. It is more entertaining for us as fans. But that's not really the point of the creampuff game, right? It's a tune up and a guaranteed W. When placed first in the season, it's also a safety valve for suspending players for any offseason behavior. You can't guarantee those things out of any MWC team 5 years out.

It would be very nice if we could all just agree not to schedule FCS team anymore. The Big10 is leading the charge on this. If the committee is smart and rewards them for this with multiple playoff spots, the other conferences will follow. If the committee just plows forward with SEC teams, nothing will change. The downside is that scheduling would become easier for BYU.

I know the committee's charge will be to pick the 4 best teams, but I think their charge should include incentivizing conferences to make the scheduling changes that everyone wants.

SoCalPat
09-04-2013, 04:17 PM
I'm fine with your plan. It is more entertaining for us as fans. But that's not really the point of the creampuff game, right? It's a tune up and a guaranteed W. When placed first in the season, it's also a safety valve for suspending players for any offseason behavior. You can't guarantee those things out of any MWC team 5 years out.

It would be very nice if we could all just agree not to schedule FCS team anymore. The Big10 is leading the charge on this. If the committee is smart and rewards them for this with multiple playoff spots, the other conferences will follow. If the committee just plows forward with SEC teams, nothing will change. The downside is that scheduling would become easier for BYU.

I know the committee's charge will be to pick the 4 best teams, but I think their charge should include incentivizing conferences to make the scheduling changes that everyone wants.

I don't think FCS teams should be scheduled after October. But to say there should be a blanket ban on scheduling FCS teams is overreaching. What made the opening weekend of college football exciting? It was the rash of FCS upsets of FBS teams. And quite frankly, with the 12-game schedule and excessive bowl schedule, you'll never see games against FCS teams go away. It's why teams can count one FCS win toward bowl eligibility every year, instead of every four.

The best way to rid schools of scheduling FCS teams is to go back to the 11-game schedule, and that'll happen over the dead bodies of ADs and school presidents.

sancho
09-04-2013, 04:25 PM
I don't think FCS teams should be scheduled after October. But to say there should be a blanket ban on scheduling FCS teams is overreaching. What made the opening weekend of college football exciting? It was the rash of FCS upsets of FBS teams. And quite frankly, with the 12-game schedule and excessive bowl schedule, you'll never see games against FCS teams go away. It's why teams can count one FCS win toward bowl eligibility every year, instead of every four.

The best way to rid schools of scheduling FCS teams is to go back to the 11-game schedule, and that'll happen over the dead bodies of ADs and school presidents.

I think there's a chance it could go away. It depends on the selection committee. It would take something dramatic from that committe against the SEC, though.

If there were no FCS games, there would still be exciting week 1 upsets of MAC/CUSA/SunBelt teams over Big5 teams.

Utah
09-05-2013, 12:31 PM
I think there's a chance it could go away. It depends on the selection committee. It would take something dramatic from that committe against the SEC, though.

If there were no FCS games, there would still be exciting week 1 upsets of MAC/CUSA/SunBelt teams over Big5 teams.

If you take away lower division teams, you would get more upsets week one than you currently have now.

roseparkutes
09-05-2013, 02:04 PM
#5 pray for no injereies is probably the best on the list. I wish teams would stop playing the fcs. I'd be all for a low leave mwc or even a low level BCS team

Applejack
09-05-2013, 02:08 PM
If you take away lower division teams, you would get more upsets week one than you currently have now.

Sounds awesome!

U-Ute
09-05-2013, 02:21 PM
Per Lya: Pita Taumoepenu cleared to play by the NCAA.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsutahsports/56830744-59/taumoepenu-utah-timpview-utes.html.csp

codered
09-05-2013, 04:04 PM
This is big. My vote would be to RS him unless it becomes evident we need him out there.

As for this week, I'm hoping that by about 12:30 pm on Saturday, we will all be bored and wondering if Shultz will get to throw the ball at all. Weber can put up the points, but hopefully we're taking them seriously and can throw a bunch up ourselves. That way we can leave the starting DB's in against what appears to be a pass happy team and get them lot's of live practice experience.

Per Lya: Pita Taumoepenu cleared to play by the NCAA.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsutahsports/56830744-59/taumoepenu-utah-timpview-utes.html.csp

LA Ute
09-05-2013, 04:51 PM
I have three tickets to the Weber State game that I can't use. These are the extra ones I bought for my kids - so not as good as the others. Section 32, Row 58. Face value is $36. If interested, PM me!

wally
09-06-2013, 12:25 PM
One other thought is that we need York or Poole to really emerge in this game.

Applejack
09-06-2013, 12:30 PM
One other thought is that we need York or Poole to really emerge in this game.

What is the status on York? Is he playing?

Jarid in Cedar
09-06-2013, 12:50 PM
I hope we redshirt Pita. I think that Orchard basically wasted his 2011 season for a handful of plays, and I would really like to have Nate around for 2015.

Unless a guy projects as an NFL 1-3 rounder by his third year of college, he should redshirt unless pressed into service because of depth issues. :sigh:

Applejack
09-06-2013, 12:56 PM
I hope we redshirt Pita. I think that Orchard basically wasted his 2011 season for a handful of plays, and I would really like to have Nate around for 2015.

Unless a guy projects as an NFL 1-3 rounder by his third year of college, he should redshirt unless pressed into service because of depth issues. :sigh:

I completely agree. But this might be a depth issue year. Pita seems so raw (much like Orchard), however, that maybe he doesn't help our depth. We certainly shouldn't waste him as a special teamer.

Applejack
09-06-2013, 02:55 PM
This thread is moribund - that says something about the excitement of playing D-2.

Let's stop navel gazing and talk about Weber State for a moment. What are we to make of a school that lists both Boyd K. Packer and Fawn Brodie as alums?

Jarid in Cedar
09-06-2013, 03:01 PM
This thread is moribund - that says something about the excitement of playing D-2.

Let's stop navel gazing and talk about Weber State for a moment. What are we to make of a school that lists both Boyd K. Packer and Fawn Brodie as alums?

This kindled the fire. My anger now boils for Purple Blood. DIE! DIE! DIE!

Applejack
09-06-2013, 03:05 PM
This kindled the fire. My anger now boils for Purple Blood. DIE! DIE! DIE!

Then I should probably not tell you that they also claim the founder of Dos Hermanos as one of theirs.

Jarid in Cedar
09-06-2013, 03:10 PM
Then I should probably not tell you that they also claim the founder of Dos Hermanos as one of theirs.

:swear: :finger1: :finger:

Jarid in Cedar
09-07-2013, 07:37 AM
On the road with a 3 hour eta

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/07/qegy4ury.jpg

kccougar
09-07-2013, 11:17 AM
On the road with a 3 hour eta

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/07/qegy4ury.jpg

JIC racking up the miles this weekend. Drive safe on the way home this afternoon.

kccougar
09-07-2013, 11:19 AM
Is the radio broadcast available on FM radio?

LA Ute
09-07-2013, 11:20 AM
Is the radio broadcast available on FM radio?

I think so, but I always listen on AM - the TuneIn Radio app works great.

http://tunein.com/

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus

Applejack
09-07-2013, 11:24 AM
Keep me updated, team. I don't think I'll be watching, but I expect witty updates from all of you.

Jarid in Cedar
09-07-2013, 11:46 AM
JIC racking up the miles this weekend. Drive safe on the way home this afternoon.

Thanks KC. I will honk as we drive by. If you tell loud enough I might hear you through the radio.

Solon
09-07-2013, 12:07 PM
Thanks KC. I will honk as we drive by. If you tell loud enough I might hear you through the radio.

Judging by the TV picture, it's a lot nicer day in SLC than it is in southern Utah.

Jarid in Cedar
09-07-2013, 12:07 PM
It is a, well, late arriving crowd

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/08/hema3u8u.jpg

OrangeUte
09-07-2013, 12:11 PM
It is a, well, late arriving crowd

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/08/hema3u8u.jpg

Nice photo. That corner by the miss often looks emptier than it is bc of the students.

Stupid roughing the kicker penalty. Dumb.

LA Ute
09-07-2013, 12:11 PM
Bubba's got to hang on to that ball.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

LA Ute
09-07-2013, 12:12 PM
Our kick return teams haven't been good for three seasons now.

Solon
09-07-2013, 12:13 PM

Looks like it's York again. Did we ever find out why he disappeared in the 2nd half last week?

OrangeUte
09-07-2013, 12:14 PM
Terrible 3 and out by the Utes. Wilson has a gun but dres should have caught that.

LA Ute
09-07-2013, 12:14 PM
Looks like it's York again. Did we ever find out why he disappeared in the 2nd half last week?

Minor injury.

"It's men in shorts." -- Rick Majerus

OrangeUte
09-07-2013, 12:15 PM

I do not like using him there. Keep him at rb. Especially if he's going to be a little buttery w his fingers.

Solon
09-07-2013, 12:18 PM
I do not like using him there. Keep him at rb. Especially if he's going to be a little buttery w his fingers.

I thought the Utes had the monopoly on throwing the 5-yard-out on 3rd and forever. Guess Weber knows tht trick too.

LA Ute
09-07-2013, 12:19 PM
It's getting so I am holding my breath every time the Utes receive a kick.

OrangeUte
09-07-2013, 12:21 PM
I thought the Utes had the monopoly on throwing the 5-yard-out on 3rd and forever. Guess Weber knows tht trick too.

I noticed that too. Glad to have company in that misery.

Solon
09-07-2013, 12:21 PM
It's getting so I am holding my breath every time the Utes receive a kick.

Relax. It'll be alright.

The PR team is getting some nice reps here. I expected to see Weber punt a lot in this game, but not necessarily 4 times in its first 2 possessions.

OrangeUte
09-07-2013, 12:22 PM
That was awesome!!!!!

OrangeUte
09-07-2013, 12:24 PM
That black flag waving behind the uprights needs to be unfurled.

That Kyle Whitt commercial is lame. But it made me laugh.

LA Ute
Travis reminds me of a galloping stork when he runs.

Solon
That was awesome!!!!!

Great play (not sure if it was a true read or a called keep).
It's not really an option if the QB never keeps (attn: Jordan Wynn).

OrangeUte
09-07-2013, 12:25 PM
Travis reminds me of a galloping stork when he runs.

A giraffe. Much faster than he seems bc it looks like slow motion.

OrangeUte
09-07-2013, 12:25 PM
Great play (not sure if it was a true read or a called keep).
It's not really an option if the QB never keeps (attn: Jordan Wynn).

Good point. Looks like it may have been a scripted play.

LA Ute
09-07-2013, 12:27 PM
I'm liking how Orchard is playing backfield beast today.

Solon
09-07-2013, 12:28 PM
I'm liking how Orchard is playing backfield beast today.

I'll bet we see the TEs on the next possession. Seems like they're next in line for a featured series.

OrangeUte
09-07-2013, 12:28 PM
Jeez. The whole defense got burned on that one.

Solon
09-07-2013, 12:32 PM
I'll bet we see the TEs on the next possession. Seems like they're next in line for a featured series.

What are we to make of the font-choice for the front of Weber's uniforms?

What is that, Kristen ITC?

http://www.identifont.com/samples/itc/Kristen.gif

OrangeUte
09-07-2013, 12:33 PM
Not a great series for the Utes' defense.

OrangeUte
09-07-2013, 12:34 PM
Jamal is a good color man.

OrangeUte
09-07-2013, 12:35 PM
Glad they got no points.

Solon
09-07-2013, 12:35 PM

Crazy punt formation.

Solon
09-07-2013, 12:36 PM

I don't see color.
Just the person.

OrangeUte
09-07-2013, 12:38 PM
Huge pass!!!! Defender doesn't stumble it is still a huge play.

OrangeUte
09-07-2013, 12:38 PM
I don't see color.
Just the person.

Sorry. Racism has no place here. I will clean it up.

Solon
09-07-2013, 12:39 PM
Huge pass!!!! Defender doesn't stumble it is still a huge play.

To paraphrase Happy Gilmore, the Utes should try to score in just one play every time.

Solon
09-07-2013, 12:43 PM
To paraphrase Happy Gilmore, the Utes should try to score in just one play every time.

Not a fumble.

LA Ute
09-07-2013, 12:43 PM
That TD pass went over 50 yards in the air. Nice.

OrangeUte
09-07-2013, 12:44 PM
Not a fumble.

Ground caused.

OrangeUte
09-07-2013, 12:44 PM
That TD pass went over 50 yards in the air. Nice.

Wilson has a huge arm.

LA Ute
09-07-2013, 12:46 PM
It also helped that the DB fell down.

Applejack
09-07-2013, 12:46 PM
I would put York on the shelf for today. Why risk his injury?

Also, I would like to see the D-line look a little stronger against Weber. They are spreading us out pretty well.

LA Ute
09-07-2013, 12:47 PM
Pardon my ignorance and bad memory, but did Jamal play for the U?

OrangeUte
09-07-2013, 12:49 PM

Great running back in the early 90s but he wasn't as features as he should have been. Good nfl career.

LA Ute
09-07-2013, 12:49 PM
I'm still not thrilled with Travis's throwing motion but it does look better this season.

LA Ute
09-07-2013, 12:51 PM
What are we to make of the font-choice for the front of Weber's uniforms?

What is that, Kristen ITC?

http://www.identifont.com/samples/itc/Kristen.gif

It looks terrible. Like high school.

Solon
09-07-2013, 12:51 PM
Great running back in the early 90s but he wasn't as features as he should have been. Good nfl career.

HE INVENTED THE DIRTY BIRD!!!!
(#9 on the list)

http://sports.photos.usatoday.com/gallery/Top-10-touchdown-celebrations/slideshow/Dirty_Bird_%28Atlanta_Falcons%29/0eu99xOb7mbi1#.Uit1hT9elJs

(http://sports.photos.usatoday.com/gallery/Top-10-touchdown-celebrations/slideshow/Dirty_Bird_%28Atlanta_Falcons%29/0eu99xOb7mbi1#.Uit1hT9elJs)

LA Ute
09-07-2013, 12:52 PM
The Wildcat QB has had Ute rushers in his face all day. Good.

Solon
09-07-2013, 12:53 PM
The Wildcat QB has had Ute rushers in his face all day. Good.

Good push by the DL. They had 5 to block Utah's 4.

Solon
09-07-2013, 12:54 PM
Good push by the DL. They had 5 to block Utah's 4.

Utes had 2 first downs in the quarter. Weber had 3.
TOP: Utah 3:39. Weber: 11:21.

Defense is going to get tired if the offense can't start running the ball.

Applejack
09-07-2013, 12:55 PM

Of course! Although, it was hard to tell sometimes because McBride insisted on running the daffy formation on the goal line when we had a future NFL Pro Bowler in the backfield. :moron:

LA Ute
09-07-2013, 12:57 PM
HE INVENTED THE DIRTY BIRD!!!!
(#9 on the list)

http://sports.photos.usatoday.com/gallery/Top-10-touchdown-celebrations/slideshow/Dirty_Bird_%28Atlanta_Falcons%29/0eu99xOb7mbi1#.Uit1hT9elJs

(http://sports.photos.usatoday.com/gallery/Top-10-touchdown-celebrations/slideshow/Dirty_Bird_%28Atlanta_Falcons%29/0eu99xOb7mbi1#.Uit1hT9elJs)

LOL. Now I remember. A California Ute like me, back in Jamal's day, had a tough time watching a lot of games. Orange may not realize how good he has it!

Solon
09-07-2013, 12:58 PM
LOL. Now I remember. A California Ute like me, back in Jamal's day, had a tough time watching a lot of games. Orange may not realize how good he has it!

Is York in there as the other back, or is it all Poole? My screen is too small to see the numbers.

Applejack
09-07-2013, 12:58 PM
Poole needs to hit the whole harder. He dances too much,

OrangeUte
09-07-2013, 12:59 PM
Too many 3 and outs.

OrangeUte
09-07-2013, 01:00 PM

I'm a child of the 70s and 80s. I've been through plenty of hellish years.

OrangeUte
09-07-2013, 01:00 PM
Too many 3 and outs.

Not 3 and outs. I meant punts by the Utes.

Applejack
09-07-2013, 01:01 PM
Anyone else's Pac-12.com feed jumping back and forth?

Solon
09-07-2013, 01:01 PM
Too many 3 and outs.

Punt from the opponent's 42 on 4th and 3? Seriously?

LA Ute
09-07-2013, 01:03 PM

Mine is.

Solon

Yeah. It's sharper picture for me than last season, but still intermittent. I hate the Pac-12 network.

OrangeUte
Punt from the opponent's 42 on 4th and 3? Seriously?

We need to put a dagger in these guys this quarter. They should not be in the game in the next half.

LA Ute
09-07-2013, 01:04 PM
Hate to be so demanding but this WSU team should not be able to grind it out against us like this.

LA Ute
09-07-2013, 01:07 PM
Yeah. It's sharper picture for me than last season, but still intermittent. I hate the Pac-12 network.

I have a good HD picture on Dish, but it is acting a little weird now and then.

I'd like to see some picks. Our DBs need the practice and the confidence.

If Poole hangs onto the ball, he looks like a pretty dangerous kick returner.

Solon
09-07-2013, 01:08 PM
Hate to be so demanding but this WSU team should not be able to grind it out against us like this.

Score a TD here (preferably on the ground) and we're in firm control.

Applejack
09-07-2013, 01:08 PM

I agree. THe only thing I've taken away from this game so far is that our D has a LONG way to go.

OrangeUte
09-07-2013, 01:10 PM
Much better.

Solon
09-07-2013, 01:11 PM
Score a TD here (preferably on the ground) and we're in firm control.

Well, there we go.

Solon
09-07-2013, 01:11 PM
Well, there we go.

My feed is going bye-bye.
Man, I hate the pac-12 network.

LA Ute
09-07-2013, 01:12 PM
Up until that York TD we had 11 rushing yards.

USS Utah
09-07-2013, 01:14 PM
21-0.

OrangeUte
09-07-2013, 01:14 PM
I'd like to see thretton more.

OrangeUte
09-07-2013, 01:15 PM
My feed is going bye-bye.
Man, I hate the pac-12 network.

I've had a few fluctuations on dish network. But it's smooth now. Maybe a glitch that's effecting those on computers or mobile.

LA Ute
09-07-2013, 01:15 PM
Orchard continues to be a beast.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-07-2013, 01:18 PM
Maybe we'll see some TE's this series.

Applejack
09-07-2013, 01:20 PM
The play-by-play guy has now referred to Wilson as "Travis Davis" and "Whittingham." Great work!

Dwight Schr-Ute

Glad they're paying attention.

LA Ute

Your wish has been granted!

USS Utah
09-07-2013, 01:21 PM
28-0

OrangeUte
09-07-2013, 01:21 PM
Good passing downs there. I want 35 points by halftime.

Applejack
09-07-2013, 01:27 PM
I missed the 4th TD. Who scored it?

LA Ute
09-07-2013, 01:27 PM
Do we have a pick yet this season?

LA Ute
09-07-2013, 01:28 PM
Why did Bubba field that punt?

USS Utah
09-07-2013, 01:29 PM
35-0

LA Ute
09-07-2013, 01:30 PM
I missed the 4th TD. Who scored it?

Pass from Wilson to Dres, about a 60-yard play IIRC.

Applejack
When do we pull the starters?

LA Ute
The giraffe scores again!

USS Utah
09-07-2013, 01:31 PM
42-0

OrangeUte
09-07-2013, 01:32 PM
Defensive score in stripped ball.

LA Ute
09-07-2013, 01:33 PM
This got ugly fast. I'm looking for Schultz now.

OrangeUte
09-07-2013, 01:33 PM
Good. Now the game is out of hand and we can get 2nd and 3rd string some reps for most of the second half.

OrangeUte
09-07-2013, 01:38 PM
We need to clean up hanging onto the ball.

LA Ute
09-07-2013, 01:39 PM
Punt return team getting lots of practice almost blocking kicks.

USS Utah
09-07-2013, 01:42 PM
49-0

OrangeUte
09-07-2013, 01:43 PM
Fitzgerald looks like the guy in the dr pepper commercials.

LA Ute
Time for scrubs.

Dwight Schr-Ute
I agree with LA. How many balls have hit our DBs in the hands without them pulling it in?

LA Ute
09-07-2013, 01:47 PM
I agree with LA. How many balls have hit our DBs in the hands without them pulling it in?

I hope they stay in for the second half even if the offensive second team comes in. Our DBs need the practice.

Jarid in Cedar
09-07-2013, 01:51 PM
Well that escalated quickly.

OrangeUte
09-07-2013, 02:00 PM
3rdd quarter we need our starters in for defense. 4th quarter we can bring in the 3rd and 4th stringers.

Good practice time for Schultz and Karl Williams especially on offense.

USS Utah
09-07-2013, 02:08 PM
56-0

OrangeUte
09-07-2013, 02:11 PM
56-0

Awesome.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-07-2013, 02:24 PM
I got bumped for Martha Speaks. (We apparently have a 50 pts mercy rule in our house.) Weber staging a come back?!

LA Ute
09-07-2013, 02:32 PM
I got bumped for Martha Speaks. (We apparently have a 50 pts mercy rule in our house.) Weber staging a come back?!

We're on their 11 now. Over 500 yards in offense.

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-07-2013, 02:32 PM
I hope that Lucky gets a handful of those. Might be his last chance.

LA Ute
09-07-2013, 02:33 PM
I hope that Lucky gets a handful of those. Might be his last chance.

62-7 now, TD run by lucky.

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus

LA Ute
09-07-2013, 02:34 PM
62-7 now, TD run by lucky.

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus

Whoops, 63-7.

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus

OrangeUte
09-07-2013, 02:45 PM
I would like to see Schultz throw more passes. Radley is having a good game.

LA Ute
09-07-2013, 02:54 PM
I would like to see Schultz throw more passes. Radley is having a good game.

I haven't watched the 2nd half closely (I was sent grocery shopping) but from what I did see Schultz's passing looked sharp.

Solon
09-07-2013, 02:59 PM
I haven't watched the 2nd half closely (I was sent grocery shopping) but from what I did see Schultz's passing looked sharp.

I like getting the subs some reps in this type of game.
I also think BJ is probably getting some reps calling the plays - that has to be a good thing.

Solon
09-07-2013, 03:07 PM
I like getting the subs some reps in this type of game.
I also think BJ is probably getting some reps calling the plays - that has to be a good thing.

That's 70 points. when's the last time the Utes scored 70?

LA Ute
09-07-2013, 03:08 PM

I think it has been quite a long time.

LA Ute
09-07-2013, 03:10 PM
I think it has been quite a long time.

Since UTEP, 1973: Utah scored 82. (!)

LA Ute
09-07-2013, 03:12 PM
All in all, a pretty good scrimmage for both the offense and defense. Should be good for confidence-building.

Solon
09-07-2013, 03:13 PM
All in all, a pretty good scrimmage for both the offense and defense. Should be good for confidence-building.

As an SUU fan, I'm extra pleased. Take that, Weber!!!!

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-07-2013, 03:21 PM
As an SUU fan, I'm extra pleased. Take that, Weber!!!!

Seriously. I think that will substantially cut down on the smack talk from all of the Weber State fans in my FB feed.

hostile
09-07-2013, 04:08 PM
Wow. I left home in the first quarter for kids football/soccer with the score 14-0. By the time I got home it was 63-7. I'm assuming everyone got in.

Utah
09-07-2013, 04:29 PM

Did we score 70 pts all of last season?

A nice change from the last couple of years.

Applejack
09-07-2013, 05:17 PM

Does someone want to give me a summary of the second half? Who got in, who looked good, who looked lost, etc.

wuapinmon
09-07-2013, 06:01 PM

Come on! Yall can't brag about this win too much. It's like beating your nephew at HORSE.

LA Ute
09-07-2013, 06:07 PM
Come on! Yall can't brag about this win too much. It's like beating your nephew at HORSE.

Well, we did what we were expected to do - gave them a beatdown - but in doing so exceeded even our fondest expectations. In the process the team got good practice and executed very well. So we're happy as we head into next week's game, which will be a serious test.

Utah
09-07-2013, 06:39 PM
Travis Wilson currently the #1 QB in the nation with his QBR rating.

Utah
09-07-2013, 06:40 PM
Utah averaged 1.1 points per play against Weber St.

Diehard Ute
09-07-2013, 07:52 PM
Good point. Looks like it may have been a scripted play.

Watching the replay now and I'd say it was the read option, not a called keeper.

Utah
09-08-2013, 08:44 AM
ESPN on Wilson:

His raw QBR rating was 99.7...still, he averaged 16.2 yards per play, accounted for five touchdowns and his rating of 99.7 is the eighth-ranked single-game score by any quarterback with at least 25 action plays since 2004 (fifth in the last five seasons). It’s the highest total QBR with that many action plays since Andrew Luck posted a 99.9 versus Cal back in November 2010.

LA Ute
09-09-2013, 05:06 PM
The Baby Giraffe thanks his offensive line:

http://emoticoner.com/files/emoticons/smileys/giraffe-smiley.gif