PDA

View Full Version : Busting Benny Beaver: Utah v. OSU 2013

Pages : [1] 2

sancho
09-09-2013, 08:53 AM
It seems strange to be playing a traditional pocket passer. Do they really still have those in football?

Seems to me that our pass rush is the key to this game. If I remember correctly from the old days of football, getting pressure on a pocket passer usually leads to good things (as opposed to modern football, where it just leads to getting burned on 20 yard scrambles).

Devildog
09-09-2013, 09:07 AM
I feel confident that if our Utes can play a balanced game with both the offense and defense playing near their potential... we will win this thing.

The Utes need to get this thing working in sync on both sides of the football (against strong competition) anyway... I'm hoping it starts this week. We are going to need it the entire remainder of the year.

Let's also hope we stay healthy.

LA Ute
09-09-2013, 10:58 AM

Bacana Ute
09-09-2013, 11:22 AM
With Oregon State not looking like a top 25 team in the first two weeks I am becoming more and more optimistic about this game. Getting our first win against a conference opponent needs to happen before the fourth game of the conference schedule. This game is lining up to be a perfect opportunity to accomplish that game one of the conference schedule. Win this one and the Utes are half way to 6 wins and bowl eligibility, something we desperately need as a program this year.

DrumNFeather
09-09-2013, 11:55 AM
We need clever titles for these game threads. For example, when we played Oregon St. in basketball, the thread title was "Thanks, I just Had it Stuffed - Utes vs. Beavers."

sancho
09-09-2013, 12:08 PM
We need clever titles for these game threads. For example, when we played Oregon St. in basketball, the thread title was "Thanks, I just Had it Stuffed - Utes vs. Beavers."

My bad. I don't really do clever. Someone more clever than me can change the name?

LA Ute
09-09-2013, 12:29 PM
My bad. I don't really do clever. Someone more clever than me can change the name?

I gave it a shot. Not easy to do. Complaints and suggestions welcome.

Devildog
09-09-2013, 12:54 PM
Wax those Beavers!

OrangeUte
09-09-2013, 12:59 PM
Wax those Beavers!

Perfect!

LA Ute
09-09-2013, 01:26 PM
Perfect!

Give me a break here, guys. It's tough to come up with a thread title about OSU that doesn't, well, produce something I don't want my daughter to know I authored. 783

Devildog
09-09-2013, 01:32 PM
Give me a break here, guys. It's tough to come up with a thread title about OSU that doesn't, well, produce something I don't want my daughter to know I authored. 783

Well... I'll be at the OSU game, you could introduce me to her and blame the whole thing on me. I'll accept the responsibility.

LA Ute
09-09-2013, 02:09 PM
Well... I'll be at the OSU game, you could introduce me to her and blame the whole thing on me. I'll accept the responsibility.

Do I at least get points for alliteration?

Hot Lunch
09-10-2013, 09:14 AM
We had better dominate this game in the trenches. Looks like OSU's oline is in their words "paper thin" right now because of injuries.

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2013/09/oregon_state_football_beavers_42.html

LA Ute
09-10-2013, 10:24 AM
We had better dominate this game in the trenches. Looks like OSU's oline is in their words "paper thin" right now because of injuries.

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2013/09/oregon_state_football_beavers_42.html

Both our o-line and d-line have something to prove. This would be a good game to do that.

U-Ute
09-10-2013, 12:45 PM
From the Wikipedia page concerning Corvallis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corvallis,_Oregon):

"Motto: Enhancing Community Livability"

Way to aim high.

Applejack
09-10-2013, 01:36 PM
I'm nervous about this game. With the way OSU has played, this game is a must win for bowl eligibility. OSU always starts slow and then has a confidence game where they blindside someone and play well for the rest of the season until the meet the dUcks.

P.S. I have no idea what this thread title means. But I appreciate the effort!

LA Ute
09-10-2013, 01:43 PM

Benny Beaver is the OSU mascot. I did not know this vital fact until yesterday.

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus

wally
09-10-2013, 03:46 PM

Pretty sure it is some sort of sexual innuendo.

LA Ute
09-10-2013, 03:49 PM

Very tough to avoid, given the circumstances.

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus

wally
09-10-2013, 04:00 PM
I'm nervous about this game. With the way OSU has played, this game is a must win for bowl eligibility. OSU always starts slow and then has a confidence game where they blindside someone and play well for the rest of the season until the meet the dUcks.

I am nervous about this game too. I don't like that the rivalry game is next week and that BYU has a bye this week, which sort of bumps rivalry banter and media chatter into this week. I don't like that OSU lost to EW in week 1, which might tempt players to overlook them especially after a 70 pt showing last week. I don't the idea of unkempt beavers in our stadium.

dfb32
09-10-2013, 09:09 PM
It looks like Oregon State will be down a running back for the first half. The Pac 12 suspended Jovan Stevenson for a late hit.

http://pac-12.com/article/2013/09/10/pac-12-suspends-oregon-state%E2%80%99s-jovan-stevenson

OrangeUte
09-10-2013, 10:31 PM
I'm ashamed of laute. He could have done something clean like "wax those beavers!" but instead went with a crude innuendo laden title.

LA Ute
09-10-2013, 10:52 PM
I'm ashamed of laute. He could have done something clean like "wax those beavers!" but instead went with a crude innuendo laden title.

Get your mind out of the gutter. This is Benny Beaver:

sancho
09-10-2013, 10:57 PM
Get your mind out of the gutter. This is Benny Beaver:

Hey, i look at this site in my office! How bout a warning next time!

OrangeUte
09-11-2013, 07:24 AM
Sick mind LA Ute.

Devildog
09-11-2013, 07:36 AM
What a prissy little beaver thread we have going here.

I did enjoy Wally's comment about disliking the idea of unkept beavers in our stadium though.

DrumNFeather
09-11-2013, 07:54 AM
Utah opened as a 2.5 favorite and now they are getting the full 3 at home. Pretty typical for two teams we still don't know a lot about I would suspect.

Oregon St. is really going to test our corners and safeties, so it'll be interesting to see how they respond.

LA Ute
09-11-2013, 08:02 AM
Be careful. You guys don't want to upset him.

Bacana Ute
09-11-2013, 08:02 AM
Utah opened as a 2.5 favorite and now they are getting the full 3 at home. Pretty typical for two teams we still don't know a lot about I would suspect.

Oregon St. is really going to test our corners and safeties, so it'll be interesting to see how they respond.

Getting pressure on Mannion is going to be huge. The Oregon St. O-Line is depleted with injuries and at times they are only sending 2 or 3 players out on routes in passing plays to keep protection. I don't like what I've seen out of our secondary up to this point so the pressure needs to be there all night long from the defensive front.

LA Ute
09-11-2013, 08:09 AM
News you need to know about our opponent: The Benny logo has been controversial!

Editorial: New Beaver logo draws sharp response (http://www.gazettetimes.com/news/opinion/editorial/editorial-new-beaver-logo-draws-sharp-response/article_3b2e9500-8632-11e2-90c0-0019bb2963f4.html)

But it’s the logo itself that has sent the online fur flying.

One commenter didn’t think it looked like a beaver and asked, “Nutria Nation?”

Others noted its resemblance to a rabid hamster. One said it looked more like a walnut with teeth.

Today’s editorial cartoon by Corvallis artist Jack Compere sums up a lot of reaction from fans who lament the 40-year evolution of the Beaver logo from friendly buck-toothed, hat-wearing Bennie to a fierce menace of undetermined species.

And if you notice a fanciful swoosh as part of his 2020 incarnation, it reflects the speculation over how much Nike — which designed the new look of uniforms, helmets and logo — strictly controlled the official rollout Monday. The question is whether that kind of control means it is Nike and not OSU that is controlling the OSU brand.

And we thought we had problems with Swoop.

Bacana Ute
09-11-2013, 08:23 AM
News you need to know about our opponent: The Benny logo has been controversial!

Editorial: New Beaver logo draws sharp response (http://www.gazettetimes.com/news/opinion/editorial/editorial-new-beaver-logo-draws-sharp-response/article_3b2e9500-8632-11e2-90c0-0019bb2963f4.html)

And we thought we had problems with Swoop.

At least their mascot is still a Beaver. Oh how I long for the return of the Crimson Warrior.

LA Ute
09-11-2013, 08:30 AM
At least their mascot is still a Beaver. Oh how I long for the return of the Crimson Warrior.

I wish we could pull that off.

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus

LA Ute
09-11-2013, 08:40 AM

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus

Diehard Ute
09-11-2013, 08:42 AM
Be careful. You guys don't want to upset him.

I'm going to make waffles in his tail

Bacana Ute
09-11-2013, 08:58 AM

I've always wondered how Florida State has been able to pull it off for all these years. Is it a matter of the Seminole tribe not caring and the Ute tribe caring? Is it a matter of Florida State just not caring to be PC? I'm sure someone could give me an in depth explanation, not that I want one, but if Florida State can do it, what can't we?

LA Ute
09-11-2013, 09:10 AM
I've always wondered how Florida State has been able to pull it off for all these years. Is it a matter of the Seminole tribe not caring and the Ute tribe caring? Is it a matter of Florida State just not caring to be PC? I'm sure someone could give me an in depth explanation, not that I want one, but if Florida State can do it, what can't we?

FSU has a deal with the Seminoles that we don't have with the Utes. IIRC the Seminoles are just more willing to exploit their intellectual property rights (for $$$) than the Utes are. I could be remembering this wrong, however.

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus

Scorcho
09-11-2013, 09:34 AM
I heard an interesting stat yesterday. Over the last decade the football teams with the most wins in conference are: USC, Oregon and then Oregon St (it's possible that I missed Stanford, but the Beavs are either top 3 or 4).

NorthwestUteFan
09-11-2013, 09:37 AM

Does Jamal have the call this week? I can't wait to heard about the authority with which we insert our will against the Beavers...

Diehard Ute
09-11-2013, 09:51 AM
Does Jamal have the call this week? I can't wait to heard about the authority with which we insert our will against the Beavers...

No, it's Fox Sports 1 on the broadcast this week

utebehindenemylines
09-11-2013, 09:52 AM
It looks like Oregon State will be down a running back for the first half. The Pac 12 suspended Jovan Stevenson for a late hit.

http://pac-12.com/article/2013/09/10/pac-12-suspends-oregon-state%E2%80%99s-jovan-stevenson

This guy doesn't even play. 1 carry for 1 yard on the season. Woods and Ward. Stevenson, however is the father of one of Riley's grandkids.

Bacana Ute
09-11-2013, 09:54 AM
I heard an interesting stat yesterday. Over the last decade the football teams with the most wins in conference are: USC, Oregon and then Oregon St (it's possible that I missed Stanford, but the Beavs are either top 3 or 4).
No you heard it right. Bill Riley made that comment during the coaches show last night. Remember it is over the last decade, Stanford wasn't so good 5-10 years ago.

wally
09-11-2013, 05:06 PM

I have been thinking more about this, and it is alleviating my nervousness. IF our DL can pressure the QB with only a 3-4 man rush, I like our odds a bit more.

LA Ute
09-11-2013, 06:53 PM
I have three tickets to the OSU game, East 32, Row 58. Face value, $36 each. Anyone want them? Just PM me.

jdart
09-12-2013, 12:07 PM
From the Wikipedia page concerning Corvallis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corvallis,_Oregon):

"Motto: Enhancing Community Livability"

Way to aim high.

I thought this must be a joke so I went to the town's website. It's really their motto:
http://www.corvallisoregon.gov/

LA Ute
09-12-2013, 12:41 PM
I have three tickets to the OSU game, East 32, Row 58. Face value, $36 each. Anyone want them? Just PM me.

Tickets are taken.

uteinlogan
09-12-2013, 10:31 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id/61530/utes-beavers-seeking-momentum?ex_cid=espnapi_public

Utah Utes, Oregon Beavers seeking momentum

Utah
09-12-2013, 10:44 PM
Subject: Whitt on the Stanford game in 1996: "If you force someone to become one dimensional and give up the run game, well, that's when you can really start to dial up the blitzes and attack the QB."

Welcome to Utah's gameplan this weekend.

Take away the run. Force Oregon State to the air. Send the farm. Good luck inexperienced OL.

DrumNFeather
09-13-2013, 08:16 AM
I'm rocking my Utah polo at the office today, so I'm getting pretty excited for the game. I'd like to see us use Lucky Radley a little more in the offense, like a split backfield with James Poole and Lucky would be kind of interesting. We also need to see a lot more Jake Murphy. Anthony Denham was good early vs. USU, but I feel like we didn't look his way a lot, he's a big receiver that should create match up problems for many of the teams we face. As I've said before, I'd like to see us go down field early and often. This is a big recruiting weekend from a visitor standpoint, so let's show 'em what we got!

Defensively I look for us to get some pressure on Manion and continue to get the young guys good experience. It sounds like Sam Tevi is joining the rotation along the d-line, so I think that is a positive. Our secondary will be tested by this passing attack, so I'd like to see some good man coverage and a few turnovers as a result. I still think we don't totally know what we have at LB, despite some folks being down on them, so let's get some big hits and big plays.

I'm feeling more and more positive about this game. I hope I'm right.

LA Ute
09-13-2013, 09:44 AM
I'm rocking my Utah polo at the office today, so I'm getting pretty excited for the game. I'd like to see us use Lucky Radley a little more in the offense, like a split backfield with James Poole and Lucky would be kind of interesting. We also need to see a lot more Jake Murphy. Anthony Denham was good early vs. USU, but I feel like we didn't look his way a lot, he's a big receiver that should create match up problems for many of the teams we face. As I've said before, I'd like to see us go down field early and often. This is a big recruiting weekend from a visitor standpoint, so let's show 'em what we got!

Defensively I look for us to get some pressure on Manion and continue to get the young guys good experience. It sounds like Sam Tevi is joining the rotation along the d-line, so I think that is a positive. Our secondary will be tested by this passing attack, so I'd like to see some good man coverage and a few turnovers as a result. I still think we don't totally know what we have at LB, despite some folks being down on them, so let's get some big hits and big plays.

I'm feeling more and more positive about this game. I hope I'm right.

:clap:

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-13-2013, 10:51 AM
Not just more of Murphy, but does Tonga even have a reception yet this year? I know he had the overthrow early in the USU game but I can even think of another pass his way since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-13-2013, 10:57 AM
I can't believe this hasn't been posted yet. If you need a good measurement between Oregon am Oregon State, look no further than their cheerleaders.

http://youtu.be/tCMDAhG9QjM

Griz
09-13-2013, 11:35 AM
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT!!!

The views and stunts shown in this video are for entertainment purposes only. Please follow proper safety instructions when starting, aka cranking, a chainsaw. Safety glasses should always be worn, and the chainsaw should always be securely placed on the ground. Failure to do so may result in loss of limbs and or life. The people in this video are paid professional chainsaw crankers. Please do not try this at home.

I can't believe this hasn't been posted yet. If you need a good measurement between Oregon am Oregon State, look no further than their cheerleaders.

http://youtu.be/tCMDAhG9QjM

U-Ute
09-13-2013, 11:45 AM
I happened to catch the replay of the OSU/Hawaii game on the PAC-12 network and noticed that the Beavers have white stripes in their face mask which gives the impression of giving the players giant buck teeth.

o.O

U-Ute
09-13-2013, 11:51 AM
I thought this must be a joke so I went to the town's website. It's really their motto:
http://www.corvallisoregon.gov/

Inspiring!

USS Utah
09-13-2013, 11:59 AM
I happened to catch the replay of the OSU/Hawaii game on the PAC-12 network and noticed that the Beavers have white stripes in their face mask which gives the impression of giving the players giant buck teeth.

o.O

OSU's new unis might just be the ugliest I have ever seen.

Jarid in Cedar
09-13-2013, 10:13 PM
The anticipation of this game is starting become unbearable. The late start just adds to the build up. Here are the keys to the game as I can see them.

1. Sean Mannion and Brandin Cook against the Ute Secondary.

Mannion has been as prolific passer as there is in the nation. He is averaging just shy of 400 yards/game on the season and is completing nearly 80% on the season, albeit against questionable competition. The Ute secondary was shaky against USU giving up about 350 yards to the Aggies. They tightened things up last week, but how much can you gauge against the Wildcats. Utah will likely bracket Cook with Rowe and a corner. I don't see that we will see the Utes assign a specific Cb against Cook( eg. as they would pair Brandon Burton vs the other teams best receiver regardless of formation), unless one of them appears to be having success against him. The remainder of the OSU's passing game is more possession type passes; screens, tight end delay's, etc. So the LB's and Walker will be called upon to lock up that portion of the game plan. Mannion will present different challenges than Keeton did. He will not be a the same threat to extend the play, but throws with excellent anticipation and can fit the ball into tight spots.

2. Tenny Palepoi and LT Tuipulotu against OSU's interior line.

There has been plenty of press about the injuries to the Beaver's front 5. IMO, the biggest development is that the starting center, Isaac Seumalo, has been moved out to RT due to injuries. Josh Mitchell will now be the center. He played the second half of the Hawaii game at center. Their RG, rFr Grant Bays, will be making his first collegiate start. If Tenny and LT can get great push against this trio, and force Mannion to bring his eyes down to avoid the rush, then Orchard and Reilly will have a heyday, as Mannion is not a very mobile quarterback.

3. Utah's Oline vs OSU's front 7

It is time for the Ute line to put up or shut up about how much improved they are over last season. The Beaver's line is somewhat undersized and better pass rushers than they are against the run. If we are going to establish a potent running attack at any time this season, we need to see tomorrow. I want to see a consistent push. I would rather see six 6 yard gains for 36 yards than get five 2 yard gains and a 26 yard gain for 36 yards. We need to be able to run effectively to have success in the conference, and if we don't this game, it will be tough sledding the rest of the year.

4. Travis Wilson vs the OSU secondary

The Beaver's secondary is suspect as is their LB crew in coverage. If the running game can keep the Beaver's DLine honest, Murphy, Anderson, and crew may have another banner day. Their safeties are susceptible to being beat over the top, which should keep their attention on Anderson and Denham. With that, I think Murphy and Tonga will have break out games. The Beaver's are going to have a hard time staying with these two if they try to cover with Linebackers. As long as the offense is not one dimensional, the passing game is going to have its choice of targets all night long.

I hate to label the third game of the season as a must win game, but that is how I feel about this one. If we don't come out on top, it is going to be very difficult for this team to accomplish what we all want to see from them.

bopahull
09-14-2013, 12:19 AM
805UTE DOG is ready to chew benny beaver.

OrangeUte
09-14-2013, 08:31 AM
One of the key matchup a we need to watch is against OSU's split end Richard Mullaney. Even if we double up on Cooks sounds like this kid could be a weapon to watch out for.

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2013/09/oregon_state_football_split_en.html#incart_river

OrangeUte
09-14-2013, 08:51 AM
The anticipation of this game is starting become unbearable. The late start just adds to the build up. Here are the keys to the game as I can see them.

Mannion has been as prolific passer as there is in the nation. He is averaging just shy of 400 yards/game on the season and is completing nearly 80% on the season, albeit against questionable competition. The Ute secondary was shaky against USU giving up about 350 yards to the Aggies. They tightened things up last week, but how much can you gauge against the Wildcats. Utah will likely bracket Cook with Rowe and a corner. I don't see that we will see the Utes assign a specific Cb against Cook( eg. as they would pair Brandon Burton vs the other teams best receiver regardless of formation), unless one of them appears to be having success against him. The remainder of the OSU's passing game is more possession type passes; screens, tight end delay's, etc. So the LB's and Walker will be called upon to lock up that portion of the game plan. Mannion will present different challenges than Keeton did. He will not be a the same threat to extend the play, but throws with excellent anticipation and can fit the ball into tight spots.

There has been plenty of press about the injuries to the Beaver's front 5. IMO, the biggest development is that the starting center, Isaac Seumalo, has been moved out to RT due to injuries. Josh Mitchell will now be the center. He played the second half of the Hawaii game at center. Their RG, rFr Grant Bays, will be making his first collegiate start. If Tenny and LT can get great push against this trio, and force Mannion to bring his eyes down to avoid the rush, then Orchard and Reilly will have a heyday, as Mannion is not a very mobile quarterback.

It is time for the Ute line to put up or shut up about how much improved they are over last season. The Beaver's line is somewhat undersized and better pass rushers than they are against the run. If we are going to establish a potent running attack at any time this season, we need to see tomorrow. I want to see a consistent push. I would rather see six 6 yard gains for 36 yards than get five 2 yard gains and a 26 yard gain for 36 yards. We need to be able to run effectively to have success in the conference, and if we don't this game, it will be tough sledding the rest of the year.

The Beaver's secondary is suspect as is their LB crew in coverage. If the running game can keep the Beaver's DLine honest, Murphy, Anderson, and crew may have another banner day. Their safeties are susceptible to being beat over the top, which should keep their attention on Anderson and Denham. With that, I think Murphy and Tonga will have break out games. The Beaver's are going to have a hard time staying with these two if they try to cover with Linebackers. As long as the offense is not one dimensional, the passing game is going to have its choice of targets all night long.

I hate to label the third game of the season as a must win game, but that is how I feel about this one. If we don't come out on top, it is going to be very difficult for this team to accomplish what we all want to see from them.

Great stuff Jarid! This summarizes the key issues very nicely.

We need to come out of the gate aggressively and hopefully get up 2 scores heading into the second half. I want to see a killer attitude from the team that doesn't let up until the game is out of hand. No conservative "hang on to the lead" mentality like against USC last year. We need to keep pressuring on D and playing to score on offense from the start.

Hot Lunch
09-14-2013, 09:20 AM

Good write Jarid!

Two big things that I am watching tonight and expect to be the difference in the game. First, is the ability of Orchard and Riley to disrupt the pass game. Mannion is good. He needs to get hit early and often. Nate Orchard walks away tonight with 3 sacks.

Like you, the O line needs to step up and shut up. I know we ran for some yards last week against Weber St. I still didn't see a mean and nasty o line blocking in the run game. We have to see that tonight. If we can't do that against this defensive front, we will struggle running the ball for the rest of the year.

GO Utes.

Utah 31
The Beavs 17

U-Ute
09-14-2013, 06:51 PM
I watched a bit of the Hawaii/OSU replay yesterday, and it seemed like the right tackle was having a really tough time. Unless they change things, Orchard and Reilly could have a field day against him.

OrangeUte
09-14-2013, 07:59 PM
Lets get this bad boy started!

OrangeUte
09-14-2013, 08:02 PM
I dig the black face masks. Not a fan of the black plants.

Mormon Red Death
09-14-2013, 08:07 PM
Did Bolerjack just get out of bed?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

OrangeUte
09-14-2013, 08:08 PM
Good pass. That coverage was not bad.

OrangeUte
09-14-2013, 08:08 PM
Did Bolerjack just get out of bed?

Bed head?

OrangeUte
09-14-2013, 08:10 PM
Haven't seen us get much pressure after those first few downs.

OrangeUte
09-14-2013, 08:12 PM
Cummings and Mullaney with big plays. Gotta watch those guys. I'd like to see us going man more.

OrangeUte
09-14-2013, 08:14 PM
Manning getting very good coverage from his line.

LA Ute
09-14-2013, 08:17 PM
We finally started getting some pressure on Mannion. Encouraging.

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus

LA Ute
09-14-2013, 08:19 PM
I wish our colors could just be red and white.

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus

UtahDan
09-14-2013, 08:19 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/15/ydyzy4a9.jpg

LA Ute
09-14-2013, 08:23 PM
Not an auspicious start. I'm worried already about our O-line.

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus

LA Ute
09-14-2013, 08:23 PM
In fact, our first series was pathetic.

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus

OrangeUte
09-14-2013, 08:24 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/15/ydyzy4a9.jpg

I love that! Wilson!

Crappy first possession. Defense!!!

Jarid in Cedar
09-14-2013, 08:26 PM
The Oline is not making good decisions on who to block. The first play both Murphy and Aiono just let the guy right between them to blow up the play

OrangeUte
09-14-2013, 08:28 PM
Great defensive stand boys! Nate orchard was all over that second down play. Blazing speed to catch up with the runner. Nice play!

I'd like to see some Fitzgerald here to start out.

OrangeUte
09-14-2013, 08:31 PM
Helmet to helmet.

OrangeUte
I want to see that again. Looked like PI to me.

Jarid in Cedar
Geez. WTF line.

Mormon Red Death
09-14-2013, 08:32 PM
We can't depend on the D to win the game for us

OrangeUte
09-14-2013, 08:33 PM
Geez. WTF line.

Way way way too much pressure on Wilson. We need to change things up w audibles amd some misdirection.

LA Ute
Second offensive series better. Wilson needs more time to throw.

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus

OrangeUte
We can't depend on the D to win the game for us

Exactly.

Jarid in Cedar
09-14-2013, 08:34 PM
Thomas slips in the coverage. Big gain. Need to hold to another field goal.

OrangeUte
09-14-2013, 08:36 PM
Good coverage to force 3rd and long. Big down here.

Jarid in Cedar
09-14-2013, 08:37 PM
Norris playing well at LB. Good coverage by him so far.

OrangeUte
09-14-2013, 08:37 PM
Mannion is spreading the ball around. We have to hurry him.

Jarid in Cedar
09-14-2013, 08:38 PM
We are getting absolutely zero push on the pass rush.

mpfunk
09-14-2013, 08:39 PM
For a must win game, we sure aren't looking good right now. Lose this game and bowl eligibility is looking very remote.

LA Ute

A season-long problem so far.

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus

OrangeUte

It's like we get some push but only when it's too late.

OrangeUte
09-14-2013, 08:40 PM
Ugh!!!!!

Mormon Red Death
Does orphry ever know when the ball is coming?

OrangeUte
Playing out of a hole.

God dammit Utes. We need the killer attitude we had in 2004 and 2008.

Jarid in Cedar
09-14-2013, 08:41 PM
Lets look for a first down :babysteps:

DrumNFeather
Inauspicious start

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

LA Ute
I know our DBs are taught never to turn around and to watch the receiver's eyes instead but sometimes I wonder about that....

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus

LA Ute
09-14-2013, 08:43 PM
Good grief.

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus

Mormon Red Death
09-14-2013, 08:43 PM
Hey Fox Sports 1 why the hell are you giving us that angle? Like to see what the hell is going on on the play

OrangeUte
09-14-2013, 08:44 PM
Baby steps. Lets just pick up a first down.

Jarid in Cedar
Aiono and Murphy don't block Crichton again. That can't be how that play is designed.

LA Ute
Wow. Our O-line being owned. Wilson's gonna get hurt if this keeps up.

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus

OrangeUte
09-14-2013, 08:45 PM
Thank you lord for a huge punt.

LA Ute
09-14-2013, 08:45 PM
We could use a big play or two from the D here.

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus

DrumNFeather
09-14-2013, 08:46 PM
9 offensive plays...

Jarid in Cedar
09-14-2013, 08:47 PM
Why does OSU even try to run? I guess to try to get a big pass on 3rd down.

LA Ute
09-14-2013, 08:47 PM
Looks like the O-line coach (forgot his name) is trying to get the guys oriented a bit.

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus

OrangeUte
09-14-2013, 08:49 PM
Lucky drop there. Mannion is passing on us at will.

LA Ute
09-14-2013, 08:50 PM
It seems like the only time we get to Mannion is on screens.

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus

OrangeUte
09-14-2013, 08:50 PM
Shit! Wide open middle field. We are getting killed on 3rd downs.

Mormon Red Death
09-14-2013, 08:51 PM
Where is the pic flag there

OrangeUte
09-14-2013, 08:51 PM
Why was Reilly back on pass coverage there?

LA Ute
09-14-2013, 08:52 PM
I don't want to be Eeyore here but we are headed for a beatdown unless something changes radically. Wow. We are better than this, I hope.

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus

OrangeUte
Third down stop! Finally!

Mormon Red Death
We have had a lot of third and longs and they are converting them

LA Ute
Well not a TD. Progress.

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus

Jarid in Cedar
09-14-2013, 08:53 PM
Still only a 2 score game, but feels like 30.

Mormon Red Death
09-14-2013, 08:55 PM
How about a first down this time

Dwight Schr-Ute
Just got home and turned the game on. Ugh.

LA Ute
Still only a 2 score game, but feels like 30.

Right. They have more scores than we have first downs. In fact, it's a shutout on first downs, isn't it?

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus

Jarid in Cedar
09-14-2013, 08:56 PM
Might be time to put Asiata in for Aiono. I just rewatched all nine plays and I he has thrown 1 block at the line of scrimmage. Either he doesn't know who to block or he doesn't want to man up and hit Crichton. Not sure what is going on there.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-14-2013, 08:57 PM
Hey fellas. Take a knee=best field position of the night!

LA Ute
09-14-2013, 08:59 PM
Crucial series.

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus

Jarid in Cedar
09-14-2013, 08:59 PM
Who is going to step up and make a play? Who is going to sack up and throw a block?

OrangeUte
09-14-2013, 09:00 PM
2 brilliant play calls. Maybe setting up for a huge 3rd down play?

Jarid in Cedar
Our line is poo.

OrangeUte
Good blocking there. First down!!!

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-14-2013, 09:01 PM
Lucky!

OrangeUte
Where is the no huddle?

Jarid in Cedar
Lucky!

Jarid in Cedar
09-14-2013, 09:02 PM
And with that, some life.

LA Ute
09-14-2013, 09:02 PM
Could it be we are figuring it out?

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus

Jarid in Cedar
09-14-2013, 09:03 PM
Hell yeah!!!!!

Dwight Schr-Ute
First downs baby!

DrumNFeather
Welcome to the game Utes

OrangeUte
Where is the no huddle?

There it is.

LA Ute
09-14-2013, 09:04 PM
We really, really needed that.

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus

OrangeUte
09-14-2013, 09:04 PM
Now lets get some pressure on mannion.

mpfunk
09-14-2013, 09:06 PM
We can turn this around quickly. A quick stop and another good series by the offense and this is a different game.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-14-2013, 09:07 PM
Now lets get some pressure on mannion.

Yep. Notice how after 2 first downs, OSU eased off the rush and finally gave Wilson a chance. Now our D needs to do the opposite.

3 and out!

OrangeUte
09-14-2013, 09:07 PM
OSU is running a little too easily on us.

OrangeUte
09-14-2013, 09:08 PM
Beavers have at least 3 false starts.

Jarid in Cedar
Keep them pinned and flip the field.

NorthwestUteFan
need a big stop here

OrangeUte
I am not happy w our rush defense here.

OrangeUte
09-14-2013, 09:09 PM
Watch out for a big pass play here.

Jarid in Cedar
09-14-2013, 09:10 PM
Keep them pinned and flip the field.

Nope

NorthwestUteFan
I hear people complain about Wilson's throwing motion, but that pass was a bullet

OrangeUte
Defense!!!!!!

OrangeUte
09-14-2013, 09:11 PM
Offensive PI.

NorthwestUteFan
Looks like Storm Woods decided to play this season. He was irrelevant the first two games

LA Ute
Surprised at how poorly the D line is playing. OSU getting lots of yards on second efforts by their RBs.

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus

Jarid in Cedar
09-14-2013, 09:12 PM
We have got to get some pressure. If we need to blitz 11, something has to give.

OrangeUte
09-14-2013, 09:13 PM
Ugh!!!!! He has all day.

LA Ute
09-14-2013, 09:13 PM
Wasn't that one on McGill?

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus

Jarid in Cedar
09-14-2013, 09:14 PM
Rowe was out of position. Dammit.

OrangeUte
09-14-2013, 09:14 PM
Wasn't that one on McGill?

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus

And the terrible pass rush. Lots of time.

LA Ute
09-14-2013, 09:19 PM
Those stats are ugly, ugly. 263 yards total offense already?

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus

LA Ute
09-14-2013, 09:19 PM
Pretty dumb penalty by orchard.

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus

mpfunk
09-14-2013, 09:20 PM
That stupid play by Orchard could end up being huge. They score a TD right here and we don't answer, this game could get ugly fast.

OrangeUte
09-14-2013, 09:20 PM
Fetch this is tense.

OrangeUte
09-14-2013, 09:23 PM
Groan! We are getting handled!

LA Ute
09-14-2013, 09:23 PM
That's what happens when a QB like Mannion has all that time. Plus our short DBs.

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus

Mormon Red Death
09-14-2013, 09:24 PM
Good job Mgill with half ass ing it and not even going for the ball

Jarid in Cedar
09-14-2013, 09:24 PM
Enough time to get a score. Need to get some momentum going into the locker room. if we can score, we get the ball out of the half as well.

OrangeUte
09-14-2013, 09:25 PM
enough time to get a score. Need to get some momentum going into the locker room. If we can score, we get the ball out of the half as well.

yes!!!

mpfunk
09-14-2013, 09:25 PM
We have got to score. The past couple of years this team has a history of giving up against Pac-12 teams and getting absolutely destroyed. We don't answer and this may end being a 30+ point blowout loss.

OrangeUte
09-14-2013, 09:26 PM
He had that! Ugh!

LA Ute
09-14-2013, 09:27 PM
Dres has been the only money all night.

OrangeUte
Dres w a huge 3rd down.

Jarid in Cedar
Lets get some points. Any points.

OrangeUte
Offense scores here and we are right where we need to be.

LA Ute
With just a few seconds Wilson is very good.

Jarid in Cedar
09-14-2013, 09:28 PM
Murphy!

OrangeUte
Jake Mutphy!!!

Jarid in Cedar
Need at least one more first down.

Mormon Red Death
09-14-2013, 09:29 PM
Do you think the announcers are obligated to mention once a game that that Murphy and Anderson have fathers who played professional sports?

OrangeUte
09-14-2013, 09:29 PM
Great play Poole!

OrangeUte
09-14-2013, 09:30 PM
Horribly broke play there.

Jarid in Cedar
09-14-2013, 09:30 PM
Screw the FG. We need a fucking TD.

OrangeUte
09-14-2013, 09:31 PM
Flag for roughing the passer? Holding! Ugh!

OrangeUte
09-14-2013, 09:32 PM
Go for it god dammit!

mpfunk
09-14-2013, 09:33 PM
Classic Ute meltdown when things are going well on a drive.

DrumNFeather
Bad play calling in the redzone

Utah
Dres has been the only money all night.

Wrong. He has a good catch and two killer drops and a misread w/Wilson. I've never seen a #1 drop so many balls as Dres does. Unreal.

Mormon Red Death
09-14-2013, 09:34 PM
Again Fox Sports 1 do not show us that angle anymore we'd like to see the play happen

LA Ute
Well. 20-10 is much better than 20-7. Let's see some half-time adjustments. We are damn lucky not to be down by 30.

DrumNFeather
We get the ball to start the second half...we needed the points, let's not get crazy fellas.

mpfunk
09-14-2013, 09:36 PM
We get the ball to start the second half...we needed the points, let's not get crazy fellas.

Except that our offense sucks and our defense sucks. We needed a TD there.

Jarid in Cedar
09-14-2013, 09:37 PM

The negative play on first down sealed that drives fate. We shoudl have just kept passing. I have zero faith in our OLine to get a push in the redzone(or anywhere at this point)

DrumNFeather
09-14-2013, 09:41 PM
Well, this isn't a video game and we have a whole half to play. We needed the points. Our offense has now had consecutive scoring drives and gets the ball. It was the right call given the circumstances.

We agree that the D needs to make some serious adjustments.

LA Ute
09-14-2013, 09:41 PM
Looking at the statistical disparity it is a bleeping miracle we are not down by more. So let's thank our lucky stars for that.

Jarid in Cedar
09-14-2013, 09:42 PM
Well, this isn't a video game and we have a whole half to play. We needed the points. Our offense has now had consecutive scoring drives and gets the ball. It was the right call given the circumstances.

We agree that the D needs to make some serious adjustments.

Oh I agree. We aren't down enough, late enough to go for it. Esp from the 9!

OrangeUte
09-14-2013, 09:44 PM
We are in a position where we need a huge defensive takeaway or multiple forced punts.

OrangeUte
09-14-2013, 09:45 PM
TP is doing a Star. Drawing double teams a lot of the time. We need to take advantage of that.

LA Ute
09-14-2013, 09:46 PM
It's going to be very interesting to see what the coaches come up with during halftime.

OrangeUte
09-14-2013, 09:53 PM
I'm more interested in the team leaders getting this team fired up.

Jarid in Cedar
09-14-2013, 09:55 PM
Our defense is too passive. We are going more hold and read instead of penetrate and disrupt. I want to see the second half, but I am discouraged on a couple of levels.

mpfunk
09-14-2013, 09:55 PM
The negative play on first down sealed that drives fate. We shoudl have just kept passing. I have zero faith in our OLine to get a push in the redzone(or anywhere at this point)

It is sad how long it has been since we could rely on our offense to score in the red zone. It has basically been a big play or nothing offense for too long.

OrangeUte
09-14-2013, 09:57 PM
Wow.

LA Ute
Disaster.

Jarid in Cedar
:swear: :swear: :swear:

Utah
These officials are terrible. Absolutely terrible.

mpfunk
09-14-2013, 09:58 PM
I just lost my stream. Damnit.

Utah
09-14-2013, 09:58 PM
I just lost my stream. Damnit.

You're lucky. Wilson threw a TD...to Oregon St.

OrangeUte
09-14-2013, 10:03 PM
Nicely done!

DrumNFeather
09-14-2013, 10:04 PM
D, give us _something_ now

Jarid in Cedar
09-14-2013, 10:04 PM
Wilson is running away from DB's. He has more scoot than he get credit for.

So basically a reset of halftime, but they get the ball instead. Our defense better come out foaming at the mouth because they got owned in the first half.

OrangeUte
09-14-2013, 10:05 PM
I want to see a pissed off defense looking nasty.

Jarid in Cedar
09-14-2013, 10:10 PM
Passive on 3rd down. End result, long completion. :sigh:

OrangeUte
09-14-2013, 10:10 PM
Come on defense! We need a turnover!

LA Ute
09-14-2013, 10:11 PM
I want to see a pissed off defense looking nasty.

D-line just can't get to Mannion. Crucial 3rd down and he had all night.

Jarid in Cedar
09-14-2013, 10:12 PM
Get some pressure, get a dump off throw. Amazing.

OrangeUte
09-14-2013, 10:17 PM
Poole having a good game.

Jarid in Cedar
09-14-2013, 10:18 PM
Tonga!!

OrangeUte
09-14-2013, 10:19 PM
I love tight ends that can catch!

Jarid in Cedar
09-14-2013, 10:19 PM
The pace forces a timeout. Grind out another score baby!

OrangeUte
09-14-2013, 10:20 PM
We are moving at a good clip.

LA Ute
09-14-2013, 10:21 PM
Where's York?

Jarid in Cedar
09-14-2013, 10:21 PM
The Oline needs to sack up here and get us into the endzone.

Jarid in Cedar
09-14-2013, 10:22 PM
Where's York?

Must be hurt. He hasn't played a down.

OrangeUte
09-14-2013, 10:22 PM
What the what?

OrangeUte
09-14-2013, 10:23 PM
Poole!!!!!

OrangeUte
Travis Wilson w a great first down!

Jarid in Cedar
Poole is having a game. Nice read by Wilson for another first down.

OrangeUte
09-14-2013, 10:24 PM
Yikes Poole!!!!

LA Ute
09-14-2013, 10:25 PM
Let's see our O-line do its job and open just a tiny hole for someone.

Jarid in Cedar
09-14-2013, 10:25 PM
He is short

mpfunk
09-14-2013, 10:26 PM
Sad that I have no confidence in our team's ability to get a TD with 2nd and goal at the 1.

OrangeUte
09-14-2013, 10:28 PM
Wilson is serious. Our defense has got to step up.

Utah
09-14-2013, 10:28 PM
Wilson is a stud and Dan Finn should be unemployed. This OL is pathetic.

Jarid in Cedar
09-14-2013, 10:29 PM
I want to see Dres on the fly sweep that close. Something different.

Mormon Red Death
09-14-2013, 10:31 PM
Why does foxsports1 continue to give us that shitty angle on the kickoffs?

LA Ute
Maybe that's kind of a monkey off the O line's back.

Mormon Red Death
another 3rd and long.... we need a stop

OrangeUte
3rd. Watch the middle of the field Utes.

OrangeUte
09-14-2013, 10:32 PM
Nice pressure and coverage!

Jarid in Cedar
09-14-2013, 10:34 PM
Need to convert here.

OrangeUte
09-14-2013, 10:35 PM
Wheels on that boy!!!

Jarid in Cedar
great run by travis.

OrangeUte
great run by travis.

Escapism. That was a great play!

OrangeUte
09-14-2013, 10:36 PM
Crap!

mpfunk
09-14-2013, 10:37 PM
Damnit Wilson. Not what we needed with the momentum swinging in our favor.

Jarid in Cedar
Bad throw by Travis. Anderson needs to become a defender there.

Utah
Dres has now hit DVC status. Dude doesn't care.

OrangeUte
Back to 10 points.

LA Ute
09-14-2013, 10:38 PM
I like it that the opponent has to respect his running ability. But who'd have thought Travis throwing picks would be so deadly to us?

mpfunk
09-14-2013, 10:38 PM
Fuck

mpfunk
09-14-2013, 10:39 PM
Well now we have to answer.