PDA

View Full Version : Will the Cougars beat themselves again? Or, 4 in a row, Provo! Utah vs. BYU 2013

Pages : [1] 2

LA Ute
09-15-2013, 08:51 AM
OK, let's get started. We can change the thread title if we want. (Suggestions will be considered.)

We will win or lose at the line of scrimmage. If Wilson gets time to throw and the RBs can get some decent holes at the right times; and if we can stop their running game enough to make Hill try to beat us with his arm and actually pressure him a little, we can win.

OrangeUte
09-15-2013, 09:21 AM
1.I want to keep byu under 300total yards offense. If our defense can do that, we will exorcise demons from yesterday.

2. Tight ends need to combine for 100 yards receiving and 2 touchdowns. Van Noy is good, and using the TEs will keep him from free ranging on defense.

3. Our offensive and defensive lines must dominate. That's got to happen.

4. We need to get up early. My heart meds aren't strong enough to stave off a heart attack in another coaster come from behind game.

5. Steelblue and Bluegoose are my travel companions to the game. I don't want to drive back for 12 hours in a Honda Pilot with them gloating. If the Utes need motivation to win, they should win for me!

Solon
09-15-2013, 09:24 AM
OK, let's get started. We can change the thread title if we want. (Suggestions will be considered.)

We will win or lose at the line of scrimmage. If Wilson gets time to throw and the RBs can get some decent holes at the right times; and if we can stop their running game enough to make Hill try to beat us with his arm and actually pressure him a little, we can win.

I haven't watched the byu play this year, but my guess is that Hill will be the third best QB the Utes have faced this year.
On the other hand, this will be the best defense the Utes have faced. I like our speed guys on the outside - if Wilson can get them the ball. I just worry that Wilson will be on his back a lot.

Utah
09-15-2013, 09:50 AM
This is a must win. No if's ands or butts. I think most people aren't killing themselves over last night's loss. If Whitt wants to see the masses turn on him, lose next week. They HAVE to win this game. No excuses, get it done.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-15-2013, 01:10 PM
We need to come out throwing the ball. BYU's front 7 may be the stiffest we'll face this year. If we come out and try an run on them the first two plays, we're going to start the game the same way we've started every game this year. Three and out. Three and out. I know Utah's history is run to set up the pass, but it isn't working. We need first downs on our first possession. No excuses. I don't want to give BYU anything to get excited about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

LA Ute
09-15-2013, 01:16 PM
We need to come out throwing the ball. BYU's front 7 may be the stiffest we'll face this year. If we come out and try an run on them the first two plays, we're going to start the game the same way we've started every game this year. Three and out. Three and out. I know Utah's history is run to set up the pass, but it isn't working. We need first downs on our first possession. No excuses. I don't want to give BYU anything to get excited about.

I like this idea.

OrangeUte
09-15-2013, 02:20 PM
I like this idea.

Ditto. Throw it on them to let them know we are multi-dimensional. I'd like to stuff it down the middle of the field w Murphy or Fitzgerald so they know that their tight ends are going to have to pay attention there and can't just clog running lanes.

Snowman
09-15-2013, 03:03 PM
We must take BYU into the toolshed and make them suffer.

sancho
09-15-2013, 03:07 PM
We must take BYU into the toolshed and make them suffer.

Our recent history is to let hard losses effect our play the next week. That trend had better end now.

LA Ute
09-15-2013, 03:17 PM
Our recent history is to let hard losses effect our play the next week. That trend had better end now.

You're right but I hope that effect is limited to demoralizing beatdowns (TCU, e.g.). This Oregon State loss shouldn't cause that.

UtahDan
09-15-2013, 03:41 PM
We will win this going away. Our offense is fine. Our defense can't stop the pass. BYU doesn't have the forward pass in its arsenal.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

UteBeliever aka Port
09-15-2013, 03:44 PM
We will win this going away. Our offense is fine. Our defense can't stop the pass. BYU doesn't have the forward pass in its arsenal.

They don't have a consistent forward pass threat, but it is folly, IMO, to assume they can't get it down field. Hoffman is a special receiver and if Hill can hit even a couple of those downfield throws, it could spell trouble.

In spite of how bad Hill has looked, I don't think BYU's passing game should be written off. We still need to get some pressure on Hill to effect that passing game. That has been a problem so far.

sancho
09-15-2013, 03:59 PM
BYU doesn't have the forward pass in its arsenal.

It's not like we haven't struggled vs running QBs the past few years.

Jarid in Cedar
09-15-2013, 08:22 PM
The Target in American Fork is prepping for the inevitable conversion of ByU fans to the Utes new rival

OrangeUte
09-15-2013, 08:24 PM
The Target in American Fork is prepping for the inevitable conversion of ByU fans to the Utes new rival

Oh that's just awesome! Haha!

kccougar
09-15-2013, 08:38 PM

Did you really rip off the thread title directly from CUF? You can do better than that, I'm sure.

OrangeUte
09-15-2013, 08:57 PM
How about a thread title of "Roscoe and Flash: Bronco and Kyle lose a 4th straight"

OrangeUte
09-15-2013, 08:58 PM
How about a thread title of "Roscoe and Flash: Bronco and Kyle lose a 4th straight"

Or "...try to avoid a 4th straight loss"

Jarid in Cedar
09-15-2013, 09:05 PM
Or "...try to avoid a 4th straight loss"

"Call the HCO! Cougars Beat Themselves Again!"

LA Ute
09-15-2013, 09:13 PM
Did you really rip off the thread title directly from CUF? You can do better than that, I'm sure.

It's a placeholder but it is a play on that one, yes. Hey, a rivalry is a rivalry. Can't we have a board rivalry too? It's friendly on our side.

OrangeUte
09-15-2013, 09:14 PM
"Call the HCO! Cougars Beat Themselves Again!"

Nice! I dig it.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-15-2013, 09:27 PM
The Battle of (Happy) Valley Four'd.

LA Ute
09-15-2013, 09:48 PM
Jarid's idea wins.

Utah
09-15-2013, 10:21 PM
How about:

Home away from home: where Utah wins 70% of the time.

sancho
09-16-2013, 11:49 AM
I see this BYU offense as similar to GT or AFA. Those are triple option offenses, and BYU is a read option. But they are similar in that 90% of their offense comes on the ground. They will run all day then surprise with a pass. The bad news is that Utah has historically struggled with those types of teams. AFA used to set season records in passing against us since we would put everything into stopping the run. I think that has to be the game plan this week as well. Give them what they can get in the air, but make sure the ground is a dead end.

sancho
09-16-2013, 11:52 AM
So is BYU running a lot of plays this year? I know they were trying to "go Oregon". Have they been up-tempo?

How do Utah fans feel about faking injuries if our defense needs a substitution/breather?

SoCalPat
09-16-2013, 12:23 PM
I see this BYU offense as similar to GT or AFA. Those are triple option offenses, and BYU is a read option. But they are similar in that 90% of their offense comes on the ground. They will run all day then surprise with a pass. The bad news is that Utah has historically struggled with those types of teams. AFA used to set season records in passing against us since we would put everything into stopping the run. I think that has to be the game plan this week as well. Give them what they can get in the air, but make sure the ground is a dead end.

If by "struggling" you mean they failed in stopping both the pass AND run, you'd be right. But there's nothing out there, statistically or W-L, to suggest Utah has come even close to that. Yes, AFA has had some above-average days throwing the ball against us, but their big plays in the air have also resulted in AFA throwing more interceptions than they're used to.

Some of AFA's worst rushing performances have come against Utah. The 2008 game saw AFA rush for a school-record low 53 yards on 42 carries. Now I don't want to turn this thread into a history of what we've done against AFA, but we won seven of our last 8 against AFA (and the loss was with a backup QB making his first start) because we defended AFA fantastically. We never blew out AFA because the Falcons are well-coached and took exceptional advantage of every mistake we made on offense or special teams.

BYU can get its yards between the 20s, and I suspect they will. But inside the 20, they're gonna have to throw the ball with some success (much like we're going to have to run it when the role is reversed).

One caveat: Our biggest struggles in defending read-option teams have come against great teams (TCU 2009-10, Oregon 2009) that would've probably beaten us silly out of any kind of offensive formation. But BYU does not pose that kind of problem. The Georgia Tech bowl game is probably the best example to back up what you're saying, but I view that game as an outlier of sorts. After Saturday, I almost welcome playing an option offense like BYU's. Kyle will have us ready.

SoCalPat
09-16-2013, 12:24 PM
So is BYU running a lot of plays this year? I know they were trying to "go Oregon". Have they been up-tempo?

How do Utah fans feel about faking injuries if our defense needs a substitution/breather?

I'm all for it. Not only will it buy us some time, but BYU fans will boo such tactics and we can accuse them of heartless behavior for booing players who are legitimately injured. Win-win.

sancho
09-16-2013, 12:36 PM
I'm all for it. Not only will it buy us some time, but BYU fans will boo such tactics and we can accuse them of heartless behavior for booing players who are legitimately injured. Win-win.

At some point, someone will force the NCAA to do something about fake injuries by faking over and over again throughout a big game. Until, the faking will continue. We could be that team! Fake every time we want a substitution/rest, and there could be a "Utah rule" in the books next year!

Bacana Ute
09-16-2013, 01:55 PM
I haven't been able to get a good read on BYU so far this year. Against Virginia it was horrible conditions and Hill was unable to hit any of his receivers(maybe he can't in good conditions), when they played the team posing as Texas, Hill didn't have to pass. In what little I have watched of Hill it always appeared to me that he does not possess the accuracy to truly be an imposing passer. He can certainly throw the ball further than that long haired safety BYU played at QB the last two years but I'm not sold on Hill being anything more than a runner.
The Utah defense has been strong against the run up until this point and very vulnerable against the pass. Given the fact BYU is a running team and hasn't proven they can pass, I give Utah a great chance of holding BYU to under 30 points once again. The questions is how good is the BYU defense? Virginia doesn't have much on offense and Texas inexplicably was unable to adjust on both sides of the ball against BYU. I believe BYU does possess a great defense, but I'm not sold they are better than what Utah saw against Utah St. BYU relies heavily on getting pressure to the opposing QB since their DBs are depleted and probably not that great to begin with.
If Utah's OL gives Wilson the time to make passes, it will be a long day for the Cougars of Provo. Of course in the end this is a rivalry game and everything goes out the window as to predicting a victor unless one team is clearly better. Utah has the speed to beat BYU, but so did Texas.

DrumNFeather
09-16-2013, 02:21 PM
The circumstances surrounding this game give the Cougars an advantage in all of the what you might call circumstantial areas. Late kick, home game, bye week, etc...So their fans will be jacked up and Bronco will be able to continue his cartoonish sideline antics and help get their defense fired up with the manufactured intensity that they seem to operate with.

The key for Utah to combat this, I think, is going to be going off script and really mixing up the play calling early and often. We've got to try to throw down field and get guys open in space. Let them prepare for the threat of Wilson to run and then use that against them to get the ball to Dres, Murphy, Denham etc. What we cannot do, and I'm looking at you Dennis and Brian, is run our plays right into the strength of their defense and the environment. The first two plays of overtime are a prime example of what I'm talking about here. We had all the momentum going into OT and we allow two runs up the middle and get stuffed. Those runs are set up by other plays. BYU will absolutely over pursue on defense, so we need to combat that and put long and sustained drives together.

Defensively, I actually think they will come out throwing as well. We will be prepared for Hill to run around, and I think they'll try to mix it up. Either way, we need solid sound assignment football. Gotta cut down on the third and longs, and get containment pressure on the QB.

Their fans are awfully confident, but I wouldn't believe much of what they say about our squad.

sancho
09-16-2013, 03:10 PM
I'm not sold on Hill being anything more than a runner.

I think that's a consensus, but a good runner is certainly enough to do damage, especially when you combine him with a good RB. They aren't trying to hide what they are. They are an option offense. They will run 75% of the time and throw when we aren't expecting it.

The Utah defense has been strong against the run up until this point and very vulnerable against the pass.

I'm not sure we can say that when USU ran very effectively against us.

If Utah's OL gives Wilson the time to make passes, it will be a long day for the Cougars of Provo.

I have little confidence that this will happen. Both USU and OSU pressured Wilson effectively, and BYU has a much much better pass rush than they do. What we did effectively against OSU is run screen plays and quick plays in order to neutralize the blitz. That has to happen again vs BYU, or it will be a long, tough game for the offense.

LA Ute
09-16-2013, 03:18 PM
This thread would not be complete without a reference to Kyle Van Noy calling this year's game BYU's Super Bowl.

DrumNFeather
09-16-2013, 03:22 PM
This thread would not be complete without a reference to Kyle Van Noy calling this year's game BYU's Super Bowl.

One of my thread title suggestions was going to be: "Rivals can be so Van Noying..."

LA Ute
09-16-2013, 03:26 PM
One of my thread title suggestions was going to be: "Rivals can be so Van Noying..."

There have been so many great ideas....

U-Ute
09-16-2013, 03:33 PM
8:15pm kickoff?

Ugh.... with the inevitable lightning delay the game won't end until 2am...

Bacana Ute
09-16-2013, 03:42 PM
Think of it this way, BYU can't play anymore once the game goes into Sunday right? So they will have to forfeit the game at that point.

LA Ute
09-16-2013, 07:21 PM

LA Ute
09-16-2013, 08:16 PM
RT @gregwrubell: Bronco: "We know if we can't catch (T. Hill), we probably won't be able to catch (T. Wilson), so it gives us a great point of reference."

Um, what??

UteBeliever aka Port
09-16-2013, 08:49 PM
Um, what??

I took it to be kind of a patronizing compliment about Wilson's speed. For the record, Hill is quicker and faster, but I think he was speaking coach speak and making a compliment here.

UteBeliever aka Port
09-16-2013, 08:50 PM

It would be fun to see that sign with the W in the same color script as "ise" & "P" with the block U in red.

Solon
09-16-2013, 09:39 PM
It would be fun to see that sign with the W in the same color script as "ise" & "P" with the block U in red.

So, talk me down, will someone?
Vs. Utah State & Oregon State, the Utes spotted their opponent early double-digit leads and I'm not sure why. Maybe the defense wasn't ready for game-speed. Maybe it was jitters. Maybe bad gameplanning. But, whatever it was, I don't think the Utes will be able to mount a second-half comeback vs. the byu's defense. Not as readily, anyway. I suppose I should be a glass-half-full kind of guy and trumpet the efficacy of the half-time adjustments, but I continue to return to the first half sluggishness. Any ideas?

roseparkutes
09-16-2013, 09:53 PM
Utah won't beat byu, byu beat its self and those PAC-12 refs will give it to them just like last time in Provo...
Utah needs to take byu to the wood shed. Stack 9 in the box, stop hill from running, get a big body on van noy, get the TE a lot of touches.
I really hate byu and everything about the school!

SoCalPat
09-16-2013, 10:17 PM
Vs. Utah State & Oregon State, the Utes spotted their opponent early double-digit leads and I'm not sure why. Maybe the defense wasn't ready for game-speed. Maybe it was jitters. Maybe bad gameplanning. But, whatever it was, I don't think the Utes will be able to mount a second-half comeback vs. the byu's defense. Not as readily, anyway. I suppose I should be a glass-half-full kind of guy and trumpet the efficacy of the half-time adjustments, but I continue to return to the first half sluggishness. Any ideas?

I said it after 54-10 and I'll say it this year: If you can weather BYU's best shot in the first half, you can dominate the second half. They knocked out Wynn and DVC of the game in 2011, but they came back into the game. That is demoralizing to any team. And all the good memories from Texas will fade with a couple of 3-and-outs. Is there a program in America that rides front-runner status as well as BYU? But get them in a hole and quite often they fold like a cheap suit. You know what I want to see? I wanna run read-option and have Bubba Poole absolutely truck Van Noy. And Bubba won't shy from contact in the open field, even though he gets a little cute with his feet. Let's see how BYU reacts to that.

LA Ute
09-16-2013, 10:23 PM

Solon, the last time we played BYU Utah came out smoking hot on its first offensive possession. I'm sure they will do that again this time.

hostile
09-16-2013, 10:51 PM
I said it after 54-10 and I'll say it this year: If you can weather BYU's best shot in the first half, you can dominate the second half. They knocked out Wynn and DVC of the game in 2011, but they came back into the game. That is demoralizing to any team. And all the good memories from Texas will fade with a couple of 3-and-outs. Is there a program in America that rides front-runner status as well as BYU? But get them in a hole and quite often they fold like a cheap suit. You know what I want to see? I wanna run read-option and have Bubba Poole absolutely truck Van Noy. And Bubba won't shy from contact in the open field, even though he gets a little cute with his feet. Let's see how BYU reacts to that.
:highfive:

LA Ute
09-17-2013, 07:17 AM
Fun factoids:

The press conference today is at noon in the Spence & Cleone Eccles Football Center. Please enter through the media entrance. Media observation at practices will be Tuesday and Wednesday from 5:10-5:30 with interviews following. Media policies at practice, as well as notes, depth chart, stats, etc., can found in the attached PDF document.

A few quick notes are below.

> Utah (2-1, 0-1 Pac-12) plays Brigham Young (1-1) in a Deseret Duel Rivalry Series game, Saturday, Sept. 21 in Provo, Utah. Kickoff is 8:15 p.m. MT in Lavell Edwards Stadium. The game will be televised on ESPN2. Radio is ESPN700 AM, Sirius 139 and XM 198.

> Utah leads the series with BYU 56-34-4, although the Cougars don’t recognize six games (split equally 3-3) when it was known as the Brigham Young Academy. With or without those six games, this is the second-longest rivalry in Utah history.

> Utah has won eight of the last 11 games with the Cougars—most recently by a 24-21 score last year in Salt Lake City. The Utes have won three straight against their rivals, including a 54-10 win in Provo the last time they visited Lavell Edwards Stadium in 2011. Utah’s last loss to the Cougars was in overtime (26-23) in 2009. For a complete series history and last year’s recap, see the boxed inset on page 2.

> Utah and BYU competed in the same conference for 113 years until the Utes joined the Pac-12 Conference in 2011 and the Cougars went independent.

> Saturday’s game is Utah’s first road game of the season after three-straight home games.

> Kyle Whittingham is 5-3 against BYU as the head coach. In his 19 years on the Utah staff, he has participated in 12 wins and seven losses to the Cougars. In the 15 years prior to Whittingham’s hiring in 1994 as the defensive line coach, the Utes were 2-13 vs. BYU.

Liz Abel
Sr. Associate Athletics Director
Director of Communications
University of Utah
label@huntsman.utah.edu

LA Ute
09-17-2013, 11:13 AM
The Angry Giraffe warms up fpr
The Angry Giraffe warms up for the TDS game.

http://i.imgflip.com/3oa1h.gif

Preparing for more of this:

http://i.imgflip.com/3oaig.gif

LA Ute
09-17-2013, 11:40 AM
In keeping with the Angry Giraffe theme, can someone with Photoshop skills convert this image to Utah Crimson on white?

Rocker Ute
09-17-2013, 04:07 PM
In keeping with the Angry Giraffe theme, can someone with Photoshop skills convert this image to Utah Crimson on white?

Here you go LA, never say I didn't do anything nice for you. ;)

wally
09-17-2013, 04:29 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/cougars/56884147-88/hadley-byu-senior-indefinitely.html.csp

Hadley suspended.

LA Ute
09-17-2013, 05:24 PM
Here you go LA, never say I didn't do anything nice for you. ;)

Excellent. Thank you! This should be the TW symbol henceforth!

SoCalCoug
09-18-2013, 02:54 AM
I just thought I'd pop over here and apologize in advance for the beating BYU is going to give the Utes.

See, Zoobs can be civil.

Brian
09-18-2013, 06:51 AM
only general authorities get the middle name treatment.
To me he's Kyle Noy.

LA Ute
09-18-2013, 06:51 AM
I just thought I'd pop over here and apologize in advance for the beating BYU is going to give the Utes.

See, Zoobs can be civil.

We appreciate this apology in a manner that is inexpressible.

Brian
09-18-2013, 06:55 AM
Re: Kyle's press conference (I refuse to call it a 'presser'.)
I've got to think that's a calculated move on KW's part to get the TDS over-emotional for the game. Get 'em overhpyed and see if Gaysom Hill has better ballet moves in the end zone.

NorthwestUteFan
09-18-2013, 07:18 AM
only general authorities get the middle name treatment.
To me he's Kyle Noy.

...and Serial Killers. Can't forget the Serial Killers. ;-)

Utah
09-18-2013, 08:09 AM
So, I just sauntered over to cougarboard...wow. Those people are messed up. I started to type up responses, and then I had a realization:

On my mission, I was assigned an area that included a University. The predominate religion in that area was Anglican. Put together Anglicans and education and you get a lot of bible bashing. It was great at first. I could waste hours every day tossing scriptures back and forth with all of the "learned". One day, I was just done. I knew it was a waste of time, they weren't convincing me and I wasn't convincing them. I knew it was waste of time to even bother, because they weren't listening anyways. I stopped the debating, and ended up with some baptisms.

Over there, they are complaining about the "baptism" video and how ALUF's aren't backing them up (which is hilarious in it's self). The funny thing is, they don't realize their own hypocrisy. No matter what I say or do, it will be wrong, and they won't listen, because it is wrong.

Take, for example, the USU game. It was great. There was banter back and forth, some debating, a little jovial mocking, and then after the game I went over to their website and it was nothing but congrats, good luck in the future and see you guys next year. It was great.

Those people have issues, and I am so over them. I don't care if Utah wins by 100 or loses by 100, I don't ever want to play those people again. It's a great game, that is completely ruined by their fans.

Its too bad, and a complete shame.

Rocker Ute
09-18-2013, 08:50 AM
So, I just sauntered over to cougarboard...wow. Those people are messed up. I started to type up responses, and then I had a realization:

On my mission, I was assigned an area that included a University. The predominate religion in that area was Anglican. Put together Anglicans and education and you get a lot of bible bashing. It was great at first. I could waste hours every day tossing scriptures back and forth with all of the "learned". One day, I was just done. I knew it was a waste of time, they weren't convincing me and I wasn't convincing them. I knew it was waste of time to even bother, because they weren't listening anyways. I stopped the debating, and ended up with some baptisms.

Over there, they are complaining about the "baptism" video and how ALUF's aren't backing them up (which is hilarious in it's self). The funny thing is, they don't realize their own hypocrisy. No matter what I say or do, it will be wrong, and they won't listen, because it is wrong.

Take, for example, the USU game. It was great. There was banter back and forth, some debating, a little jovial mocking, and then after the game I went over to their website and it was nothing but congrats, good luck in the future and see you guys next year. It was great.

Those people have issues, and I am so over them. I don't care if Utah wins by 100 or loses by 100, I don't ever want to play those people again. It's a great game, that is completely ruined by their fans.

For me, going to cougarboard is like going to Walmart. Every time I do I wonder, "Where did all of these weirdos come from, and where do they go when they are done here?"

DrumNFeather
09-18-2013, 09:16 AM

I have found that the rivalry is only really "fun" outside the state of Utah and off of the internet. If I lived in Utah, I wouldn't want to play them very often. As it stands, I'm surprised Hill pulled the trigger so quickly on locking up games in '17 and '18 as well...even though it's really like a 2 for 1. ;)

Brian
09-18-2013, 09:38 AM
...and Serial Killers. Can't forget the Serial Killers. ;-)

:)

USS Utah
09-18-2013, 11:30 AM
Rivalry week has devolved into some kind of Spanish Inquisition, which I did not expect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uprjmoSMJ-o

wuapinmon
09-18-2013, 12:35 PM
So, I just sauntered over to cougarboard...

When you hit your thumb with a hammer, do you blame the nail, the hammer, or yourself?

LA Ute
09-18-2013, 12:57 PM
Today, with the Hadley Honor Code thing and the Murphy "baptism" thing, has made me wish we never play BYU in football again.

Utah
09-18-2013, 01:32 PM
When you hit your thumb with a hammer, do you blame the nail, the hammer, or yourself?

Yeah. Point taken. I knew what that snake was...

Applejack
09-18-2013, 01:32 PM
Today, with the Hadley Honor Code thing and the Murphy "baptism" thing, has made me wish we never play BYU in football again.

You don't mean that. This is the best game ever. I am on pins and needles and its only Wednesday! I'm not sure I realized we were playing Colorado last year until mid-way thru the third quarter.

Utah
09-18-2013, 01:33 PM

ESPN's response to all this nonsense:

"The Pac-12 blog is not smart enough to figure out why this video of a couple of Utah players is controversial (http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/utes/56888178-89/utah-video-lds-players.html.csp), but it apparently is."

Lol. It is amazing how offended they can get over nothing.

Utah
09-18-2013, 01:54 PM
My post on cougarboard:

ESPN's response to BYU's outrage: Get over yourselves.

"The Pac-12 blog is not smart enough to figure out why this video of a couple of Utah players is controversial, but it apparently is."

My goodness you guys, you just look silly.

Also, if this is such a big deal, why wasn't it talked about when it was posted about a month ago? Why wait until the day Hadley gets suspended? Come on. Whoever started this firestorm got what he wanted. People not talking about Hadley, and instead running around screaming like Pharisees about nothing.

You guys succeeded. You ran around, ranting and screaming, throwing God around irrelevantly to show how righteous you are. You won. ESPN reported on it, even though they don't know why this is a story. You proved to yourselves that all Ute fans are of the devil, and you also proved that Elder Uctodorf and Holland's talks were necessary and probably need to be read from the pulpit again. I'll leave a couple of thoughts for you guys on my way out:

"At its core, pride is a sin of comparison, for though it usually begins with “Look how wonderful I am and what great things I have done,” it always seems to end with “Therefore, I am better than you.”

"When our hearts are filled with pride, we commit a grave sin, for we violate the two great commandments. 7 Instead of worshipping God and loving our neighbor, we reveal the real object of our worship and love—the image we see in the mirror.

"Pride is the great sin of self-elevation. It is for so many a personal Rameumptom, a holy stand that justifies envy, greed, and vanity. 8 In a sense, pride is the original sin, for before the foundations of this earth, pride felled Lucifer, a son of the morning “who was in authority in the presence of God.” 9

"For others, pride turns to envy: they look bitterly at those who have better positions, more talents, or greater possessions than they do. They seek to hurt, diminish, and tear down others in a misguided and unworthy attempt at self-elevation. When those they envy stumble or suffer, they secretly cheer." (Or in cougarboard's case, scream their cheers from the rooftops).

"The Laboratory of Sports

"Perhaps there is no better laboratory to observe the sin of pride than the world of sports. I have always loved participating in and attending sporting events. But I confess there are times when the lack of civility in sports is embarrassing. How is it that normally kind and compassionate human beings can be so intolerant and filled with hatred toward an opposing team and its fans?

"I have watched sports fans vilify and demonize their rivals. They look for any flaw and magnify it. They justify their hatred with broad generalizations and apply them to everyone associated with the other team. When ill fortune afflicts their rival, they rejoice.

"Brethren, unfortunately we see today too often the same kind of attitude and behavior spill over into the public discourse of politics, ethnicity, and religion."

The above quotations taken from a talk given by Elder Uchtdorf.

"My dear brethren of the priesthood, my beloved fellow disciples of the gentle Christ, should we not hold ourselves to a higher standard? As priesthood bearers, we must realize that all of God’s children wear the same jersey. Our team is the brotherhood of man. This mortal life is our playing field. Our goal is to learn to love God and to extend that same love toward our fellowman. We are here to live according to His law and establish the kingdom of God. We are here to build, uplift, treat fairly, and encourage all of Heavenly Father’s children."

The above quote taken from a talk given by Elder Holland.

Take home message:

"I have watched sports fans vilify and demonize their rivals. They look for any flaw and magnify it. They justify their hatred with broad generalizations and apply them to everyone associated with the other team. When ill fortune afflicts their rival, they rejoice." - Elder Uchtdorf

“Lesson number one for the establishment of Zion in the 21st century: You never ‘check your religion at the door.’ Not ever. My young friends, that kind of discipleship cannot be—it isn’t discipleship at all.” - Elder Holland

Be the people you tell everyone you are.

NorthwestUteFan
09-18-2013, 02:16 PM
Lol. It is amazing how offended they can get over nothing.

People who are upset by this are blinded by their zealotry. They are like jihadists in search of a fatwa.

chrisrenrut
09-18-2013, 03:28 PM
Anyone complaining about the nature of this rivalry, but spends even 1 second on cougarboard, is like a man complaining about the pain while he continues to punch himself in the nuts.

Utah
09-18-2013, 04:15 PM
One thing I will give props to this board:

It is full of a lot of normal people. I find myself here more often than UF.N. I'm not bagging on anyone, just complimenting you guys. Please, work with me as I pull away from some of the more extreme people, and return to normalcy.

Thank you.

ha ha.

LA Ute
09-18-2013, 04:19 PM

Hadrian
09-18-2013, 06:58 PM
^Ha! I've wanted something like that on a shirt for years.

LA Ute
09-18-2013, 07:01 PM

It is full of a lot of normal people. I find myself here more often than UF.N. I'm not bagging on anyone, just complimenting you guys. Please, work with me as I pull away from some of the more extreme people, and return to normalcy.

Thank you.

ha ha.

Please stay here with us. And bring others!

SoCalPat
09-18-2013, 08:52 PM

Sorry LA, but this is a textbook response by the self-loathing Ute fan who worries way too damn much about how his fans react to off field events.

Ask yourself this: Why do you care about what others are saying and why are you letting them shape your opinions?

LA Ute
09-18-2013, 09:23 PM
Sorry LA, but this is a textbook response by the self-loathing Ute fan who worries way too damn much about how his fans react to off field events.

Ask yourself this: Why do you care about what others are saying and why are you letting them shape your opinions?

It's not that complicated. This nonsense is boring, tedious and dispiriting. Focus your criticisms on the rival and stop trying to tell people how to be a Utah fan.

SoCalPat
09-18-2013, 09:26 PM
It's not that complicated. This nonsense is boring, tedious and dispiriting. Focus your criticisms on the rival and stop trying to tell people how to be a Utah fan.

I'm not the one advocating for halting one of the great rivalries in college football, so you're already battling a severe deficit in the credibility department.

LA Ute
09-18-2013, 09:37 PM
I'm not the one advocating for halting one of the great rivalries in college football, so you're already battling a severe deficit in the credibility department.

Oh, get over it.

Jarid in Cedar
09-18-2013, 09:43 PM
I am with SCP. People care far to much about how others view the degenerate portion of the fanbase. Why allow yourself to be defined by the actions of others? Who cares what the Yner's think?

On the flip side, if it would marginalize their program, I would drop them in a heartbeat. Cut off the head of the snake.

LA Ute
09-18-2013, 09:47 PM
I am with SCP. People care far to much about how others view the degenerate portion of the fanbase. Why allow yourself to be defined by the actions of others? Who cares what the Yner's think?

On the flip side, if it would marginalize their program, I would drop them in a heartbeat. Cut if the head of the snake.

I get sick of the ugliness. Lots of people do. Deep down I think we should keep playing them, but I'm ready for a couple of years off. I see your point and SCP's, but you're not attacking anyone over it. Let's not eat our own. There are Cougars to skin.

OrangeUte
09-18-2013, 10:48 PM
I don't ever want to stop playing the cougs. I love the rivalry. Pure fun for me! Many of my good fiends are cougs and we have a lot of fun with the rivalry together.

I'm driving out for the game with 4 byu fans and looking forward to the time together and also the game.

On the other side, I love the idiots and hatred as part of the fun.

I loved seeing their fans misrepresent the context of the ice water pool video and then find out that it was explainable and not mockery at all. Yet many of their fans still can't let it go. That amuses me greatly!

I love the Max Hall rant and Lenny Gomes and the cheerleader fight and Eddie Johnson etc etc. I love 34-31, and I hate Harline is open and 4th and 19 etc etc. Our rivalry with the cougs is awesome!

Garbo
09-19-2013, 01:21 AM
First, glad I found this forum. Seems to be a lot more grounded than some other forums out there. To me, the key to this game is Eric Rowe. BYU is going to attempt to run early and often. Rowe has to be smart enough to come up in run support and limit breakaways, but also provide help on Hoffman. If Rowe can be double digits in tackles, break up a pass or two, and get a pick, I like where we end up. Normally I wouldn't love for a safety to get a ton of tackles, but against the read option against a run heavy team, it's ok.

To contradict myself a little bit, I think BYU's passing game is going to be good. I hope we prepare for it and respect it's potential. So far, T. Hill has thrown one game in the rain, and then had no need to throw against Texas. Hoffman was also out and I'm sure that altered game plans. So, I think the second most intriguing matchup is Hoffman/McGill. McGill is big and should be physical with Hoffman. Hoffman is an elite receiver so I'm curious to see if McGill can slow him down. We used to use Sean Smith against these big receivers with a lot of success. Should be an interesting game. If Utah weathers the emotional storm in the 1st quarter, I think we take it to the wire.

Viking
09-19-2013, 06:44 AM
This is going to be a good game. I worry about Hill getting injured but if not, I don't think Utah wins. Too many options on offense and the defense is solid.

BYU 34, Utah 29.

sancho
09-19-2013, 08:34 AM
This is going to be a good game. I worry about Hill getting injured but if not, I don't think Utah wins. Too many options on offense and the defense is solid.

BYU 34, Utah 29.

So, who is Hill's backup anyway? is he also a runner? Remember when every team had a wildcat QB to come in for a few plays per game? Do you think BYU has considered the inverse - having a passing QB come in for a few plays to throw the defense off?

OrangeUte
09-19-2013, 08:48 AM
So, who is Hill's backup anyway? is he also a runner? Remember when every team had a wildcat QB to come in for a few plays per game? Do you think BYU has considered the inverse - having a passing QB come in for a few plays to throw the defense off?

I think the backup is a pocket passer named Ammon Olsen. He's a big kid, I don't think he has wheels.

SoCalPat
09-19-2013, 09:25 AM
I get sick of the ugliness. Lots of people do. Deep down I think we should keep playing them, but I'm ready for a couple of years off. I see your point and SCP's, but you're not attacking anyone over it. Let's not eat our own. There are Cougars to skin.

It took me about five minutes to get over the whole baptism-gate. Once you see the outrage comes from the same 5-watt bulbs, it becomes easier to stomach:

I'm just not gonna allow a small segment of BYU fans to get under my skin like that. You don't go camping without mosquito repellent. Ute fans need to find their own repellent, and nuking the forest (ie discontinuing the rivalry) isn't an option. The mosquitoes will exist elsewhere.

utefan
09-19-2013, 09:43 AM
It took me about five minutes to get over the whole baptism-gate. Once you see the outrage comes from the same 5-watt bulbs, it becomes easier to stomach:

I'm just not gonna allow a small segment of BYU fans to get under my skin like that. You don't go camping without mosquito repellent. Ute fans need to find their own repellent, and nuking the forest (ie discontinuing the rivalry) isn't an option. The mosquitoes will exist elsewhere.

I'd rather just skip the mosquito infested forest and visit one of the many much prettier forests instead.

Why put up with the nonsense if the alternative is a game against a high profile team like Michigan?

Pudge's Pole
09-19-2013, 10:47 AM

Boo (but because you're a Sox fan, I'll forgive you). The Hadley honor code issue should have no bearing on the game for a Ute fan, but I understand how the baptism controversy makes the association less enjoyable and more tedious for both fanbases.
All this said, I think the two-year hiatus will be good for the rivalry...a sort of "absence makes the heart grow fonder" situation. The Cougs can lose every other game this season, as long as they win on Saturday. What other school could I say that for?

LA Ute
09-19-2013, 11:09 AM
Boo (but because you're a Sox fan, I'll forgive you). The Hadley honor code issue should have no bearing on the game for a Ute fan, but I understand how the baptism controversy makes the association less enjoyable and more tedious for both fanbases.
All this said, I think the two-year hiatus will be good for the rivalry...a sort of "absence makes the heart grow fonder" situation. The Cougs can lose every other game this season, as long as they win on Saturday. What other school could I say that for?

I go back and forth on whether we should keep playing annually. I've been listening via my iPhone to SLC sports radio (not a good idea, I've decided) and it was not the fans who bothered me, it was the idiots on the radio and in the sports news media. As JIC said, they feed on this stuff and it becomes a big deal. I just get sick of it. Two years off is probably a good idea.

USS Utah
09-19-2013, 11:28 AM

Or maybe we could just avoid going to that particular forest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfGpVcdqeS0

You got over baptism-gate in five minutes, I got over BYU 3 years ago.

USS Utah
09-19-2013, 11:30 AM
Dear BYU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_50-gOeBilc

Pudge's Pole
09-19-2013, 11:30 AM
Or maybe we could just avoid going to that particular forest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfGpVcdqeS0

You got over baptism-gate in five minutes, I got over BYU 3 years ago.

It doesn't really seem like it. ;)

UTEopia
09-19-2013, 12:16 PM
I go back and forth on whether we should keep playing annually. I've been listening via my iPhone to SLC sports radio (not a good idea, I've decided) and it was not the fans who bothered me, it was the idiots on the radio and in the sports news media. As JIC said, they feed on this stuff and it becomes a big deal. I just get sick of it. Two years off is probably a good idea.

I simply avoid listening to or reading the local media. I will sometimes listen to Bill and Hans, but my guess is because they are primarily pro Utah and do not seem intent on stirring the pot. I avoid the other places like the plague.

LA Ute
09-19-2013, 12:20 PM
I simply avoid listening to or reading the local media. I will sometimes listen to Bill and Hans, but my guess is because they are primarily pro Utah and do not seem intent on stirring the pot. I avoid the other places like the plague.

Bill and Hans strike me as quite professional. They lean towards Utah, of course, but they interview people from both sides and do it evenhandedly.

utefan
09-19-2013, 01:30 PM
I think BYU's passing game is much better than they've shown so far. They've only played 2 games, both with horrible weather and rain delays. If we have good weather Saturday night, it would not surprise me at all to see their passing game to make its first appearance of the season.

I also think Utah's passing defense is much better than they've shown so far. We have only seen them go against Weber State, where they played well against lower competition, and 2 absolutely great QBs who burned them. I expect the Utah pass defense to look at least respectable on Saturday night.

sancho
09-19-2013, 01:39 PM
I think BYU's passing game is much better than they've shown so far. They've only played 2 games, both with horrible weather and rain delays. If we have good weather Saturday night, it would not surprise me at all to see their passing game to make its first appearance of the season.

I also think BYU will have more success passing, primarily because we will be loading the box to stop the run. We will dare them to beat us in the air, and with our secondary, maybe they will. Who knows?

LA Ute
09-19-2013, 01:44 PM

Bill and Hans strike me as quite professional. They lean towards Utah, of course, but they interview people from both sides and do it evenhandedly.

SheriffCreg
09-19-2013, 02:45 PM
Utah needs to cause turnovers. If we can get 2-3 takeaways, I think everything else will more or less take care of itself. If we don't get turnovers though, I think we lose.

LA Ute
09-19-2013, 04:00 PM
Utah needs to cause turnovers. If we can get 2-3 takeaways, I think everything else will more or less take care of itself. If we don't get turnovers though, I think we lose.

I heard an impressive stat during Whitt's press conference, I think -- Utah has won 90% of the games in which it is +1 or more in the turnover margin, or something along those lines.

LA Ute
09-19-2013, 04:43 PM
This seems fitting for Rivalry Week: Today is

International Talk Like A Pirate Day.

https://www.facebook.com/InternationalTalkLikeAPirateDay

USS Utah
09-19-2013, 06:28 PM
It doesn't really seem like it. ;)

It's not my fault Chris Hill keeps scheduling BYU. I'd just as soon never play them again.

BYU and it's fans remain annoying. I'm over you, just go away already.

Viking
09-19-2013, 07:14 PM
It's not my fault Chris Hill keeps scheduling BYU. I'd just as soon never play them again.

BYU and it's fans remain annoying. I'm over you, just go away already.

I don't think you really believe that. It's a great rivalry and it's a fun annual event we'll be missing for the next few years.

uteinlogan
09-19-2013, 09:48 PM
I don't think you really believe that. It's a great rivalry and it's a fun annual event we'll be missing for the next few years.

The fans need 2 years off. This week has been awful for both fan bases. It used to be fun. Now it is just caustic.

USS Utah
09-19-2013, 11:09 PM

This week has been a train wreck. Last year and the year before were the most boring "rivalry" weeks ever.

No, I won't miss this.

If it were about the play on field, about athletic competition, then I could go along. But if it is about religion, I have no interest whatsoever.

This "rivalry" is not healthy, and the disease gets worse with every passing year. Maybe a two year break will help it heal, but I won't hold my breath.

LA Ute
09-19-2013, 11:17 PM
I haven't been following it - did the "baptism" horseplay have anything to do with BYU? Someone told me it happened in August.

USS Utah
09-19-2013, 11:20 PM
http://www.artifacting.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/trainwreck.gif

LA Ute
09-19-2013, 11:21 PM
This week has been a train wreck. Last year and the year before were the most boring "rivalry" weeks ever.

No, I won't miss this.

If it were about the play on field, about athletic competition, then I go along. But it it is about religion, I have no interest whatsoever.

This "rivalry" is not healthy, and the disease gets worse with every passing year. Maybe a two year break will help it heal, but I won't hold my breath.

Sigh. Another self-hating Ute fan. ;)

USS Utah
09-19-2013, 11:22 PM
Sigh. Another self-hating Ute fan. ;)

This makes no sense to me.

(I know it's not your argument, but of others).

LA Ute
09-19-2013, 11:28 PM
This makes no sense to me.

(I know it's not your argument, but of others).

That's because it's an ad hominem slam, not a real argument.

USS Utah
09-19-2013, 11:31 PM
That's because it's an ad hominem slam, not a real argument.

To the man! -- logic need not apply.

Diehard Ute
09-19-2013, 11:35 PM
I haven't been following it - did the "baptism" horseplay have anything to do with BYU? Someone told me it happened in August.

Had nothing to do with them. It happened before the season even started.

But when you're that full of yourself, everything has to do with you...and everyone is out to offend you (the YouTube posting which labeled it as a baptism was done by a BYU fan this week)

Viking
09-20-2013, 05:21 AM
The fans need 2 years off. This week has been awful for both fan bases. It used to be fun. Now it is just caustic.

The Kate Charipar incident is definitely a low blow. She's a compliance officer for pete's sake. Of-age drinking is not a violation of NCAA rules and had no cause--other than to be a total scumbag--to forward the picture.

Some BYU donor should print hundreds of Kate Charipar fatheads with "NARC" on her forehead for the game and distribute them in the student section.

LA Ute
09-20-2013, 07:43 AM
I think the rivalry jumped the shark this week. Everything is just nuts right now. Tomorrow's game can't come soon enough.

DrumNFeather
09-20-2013, 07:55 AM
I think the rivalry jumped the shark this week. Everything is just nuts right now. Tomorrow's game can't come soon enough.

To be fair, nobody cares about your opinion. ;)

UBlender
09-20-2013, 08:01 AM
The Kate Charipar incident is definitely a low blow. She's a compliance officer for pete's sake. Of-age drinking is not a violation of NCAA rules and had no cause--other than to be a total scumbag--to forward the picture.

Some BYU donor should print hundreds of Kate Charipar fatheads with "NARC" on her forehead for the game and distribute them in the student section.

It was alleged to be an NCAA violation due to the involvement of a booster. By forwarding the information she is both doing BYU a favor and doing the ethical thing. It was clear that the "fan" who sent her the pictures was going to see to it that this story got out. By forwarding it to BYU, she gives them a chance to handle it internally rather than have it come out first in the media or from the NCAA.

Compliance is a watchdog position. It is their job to either investigate every allegation they hear about or to notify the appropriate party to investigate. The idea that any compliance officer would hear of this type of thing and neither investigate or notify the interested party is unconscionable. "Looking the other way" is not an option for that position, it is like a police officer learning of a crime and deciding to do nothing.

BYU fans should be upset at Hadley, the booster and "Darren Lucy", but anyone who thinks Ms Charipar acted inappropriately is simply a fool.

LA Ute
09-20-2013, 08:08 AM
It was alleged to be an NCAA violation due to the involvement of a booster. By forwarding the information she is both doing BYU a favor and doing the ethical thing. It was clear that the "fan" who sent her the pictures was going to see to it that this story got out. By forwarding it to BYU, she gives them a chance to handle it internally rather than have it come out first in the media or from the NCAA.

Compliance is a watchdog position. It is their job to either investigate every allegation they hear about or to notify the appropriate party to investigate. The idea that any compliance officer would hear of this type of thing and neither investigate or notify the interested party is unconscionable. "Looking the other way" is not an option for that position, it is like a police officer learning of a crime and deciding to do nothing.

BYU fans should be upset at Hadley, the booster and "Darren Lucy", but anyone who thinks Ms Charipar acted inappropriately is simply a fool.

Agree 100%.

LA Ute
09-20-2013, 08:11 AM
To be fair, nobody cares about your opinion. ;)

You forgot to say you're telling me that as nicely as you can, just before slinging a cuss word at me. ;)

DrumNFeather
09-20-2013, 08:25 AM
Let's go back on the field and go over keys to victory:

1) Third down - we have to convert, we have to stop them from converting
2) Spread 'em out - I think we need to make their LBs cover our TEs as well as Poole and Radley out of the backfield so that we can open up the offense
3) Limit the conservative play calls - Your on the road, it's a night game, everything favors the home team, don't let your play calling help them
4) Throw the ball down field - Dres, Denham, Murph, Fitzgerald. We've got to throw down the field (which means we also have to give Wilson time).

What else?

LA Ute
09-20-2013, 08:34 AM

2) Spread 'em out - I think we need to make their LBs cover our TEs as well as Poole and Radley out of the backfield so that we can open up the offense
3) Limit the conservative play calls - Your on the road, it's a night game, everything favors the home team, don't let your play calling help them
4) Throw the ball down field - Dres, Denham, Murph, Fitzgerald. We've got to throw down the field (which means we also have to give Wilson time).

What else?

I think 2 and 4 must already be in the game plan. I hope so, anyway. As for third downs, I hope we have a lot of second and short situations. But that will depend on how well the running game goes, and whether Dennis mixes things up on first down. I'd love to see us pass a few times on first down.

But everything depends on the line of scrimmage. This will be our offensive line's first real test since Utah State. I think they still have a lot to prove. The defensive line has got to show they can actually penetrate and put some pressure on Hill when he does try to pass. That ought to take the pass away from BYU's offense completely. I think if we battle BYU to a draw at the line of scrimmage we win the game.

sancho
09-20-2013, 08:34 AM

What else?

On regular 4 man rushes, we have to give Wilson time. On blitzes, we have to get the ball out quickly. Our screens have to be effective again like they were last week.

We need yards on 1st down.

sancho
09-20-2013, 08:41 AM

This makes no sense to me. She, and the Utah fan who sent the photo, are heroes. They are living the rival fan's dream. How many times have I daydreamed about being able to sabotage the enemy? Superfans. They should wear this like a badge of honor. I would question the loyalty and dedication of any fan on either side who would not try to use this kind of information.

A NARC has to get in good with the bad guys and then rat them out. A Ute fan NARC would be amazing. Can you imagine all the dirt? But these two aren't NARCs, they were just good fans in the right place (wrong place?) at the right time.

LA Ute
09-20-2013, 08:47 AM
This makes no sense to me. She, and the Utah fan who sent the photo, are heroes. They are living the rival fan's dream. How many times have I daydreamed about being able to sabotage the enemy? Superfans. They should wear this like a badge of honor. I would question the loyalty and dedication of any fan on either side who would not try to use this kind of information.

A NARC has to get in good with the bad guys and then rat them out. A Ute fan NARC would be amazing. Can you imagine all the dirt? But these two aren't NARCs, they were just good fans in the right place (wrong place?) at the right time.

The compliance officer was only doing her job. It is ridiculous that she is being vilified in this situation. I don't think I would have handled the incident the same way this Utah fan did, but ultimately, this is all Hadley's fault. He is the one responsible for what has happened. He is the one who had complete control over avoiding it.

sancho
09-20-2013, 08:53 AM
TI don't think I would have handled the incident the same way this Utah fan did, but ultimately, this is all Hadley's fault.

I would be disappointed in a fan who passes on a chance to help Utah win this game. Or in a fan who would pass on a chance to increase BYU's odds of losing in any game. I don't know any details of how this fan handled the situation, but I know he got the photo to the right people. Can we honor him in between quarters of a game?

Dawminator
09-20-2013, 09:08 AM
Memo to everyone: we dont know if the person who sent the email to the compliance office is a Utah fan. Could be, but we don't know. They claimed they were, but on monday someone with the same name got on cougarboard and claimed to be a BYU fan. So my advice is that we stop saying it was a Utah fan until we know.

I don't get why a BYU fan would contact the Utah compliance office, but I also have a hard time believing that a Utah fan would recognize Spencer Hadley at a strip club in Vegas. I know that I wouldn't and I know more about BYU football then the average Utah fan.

So before we start throwing stones at our own let's make sure we know the facts.

Viking
09-20-2013, 09:11 AM
The compliance officer was only doing her job. It is ridiculous that she is being vilified in this situation. I don't think I would have handled the incident the same way this Utah fan did, but ultimately, this is all Hadley's fault. He is the one responsible for what has happened. He is the one who had complete control over avoiding it.

I respectfully disagree with you that she "was only doing her job." It would be ridiculous to believe that BYU has ever asked the Utah compliance team to send evidence of students breaking the honor code. Hadley was not doing anything illegal or in violation of NCAA rules. She was not doing her job. If the allegations are true, she was simply being a petty person and has now created a precedent that is pretty scary.

I agree with you that Hadley would not be in this situation had he not done whatever he did.

But this gal deserves to be--and will be--vilified for a long, long time, if what she did is true. A BS move.

She's basically put a bounty on every Utah athlete to be caught doing something in violation of team and NCAA rules.

UtahDan
09-20-2013, 09:14 AM

I have not followed this but given how proud BYU is of its honor code, not to mention protective of their integrity and perception of the same, I assume they are grateful this has been brought to their attention. I don't think they should make any effort to forfeit their win, but I can certainly see why many of them would believe their integrity demands it.

sancho
09-20-2013, 09:16 AM
But this gal deserves to be--and will be--vilified for a long, long time, if what she did is true. A BS move.

You go ahead and vilify. To me, she's a winner.

She's basically put a bounty on every Utah athlete to be caught doing something in violation of team and NCAA rules.

Right, because prior to this incident, no BYU fan would have ever thought of turning in a Utah athlete for a violation.

You know that OSU scandal story that SI.com ran last week? It was all investigated and authored by a Sooners fan. Is that Sooners fan in the wrong? No, he has every right to investigate and publish what he did. He brought some bad things to light.

Dawminator
09-20-2013, 09:16 AM
The title of the guys email to the compliance woman was: "NCAA VIOLATIONS" so you better believe there were violations in the email and not just honor code stuff.

Seriously dude, did you not read the trib story?

U-Ute
09-20-2013, 09:18 AM

Thank you.

ha ha.

If we're the standard for "normal", you're in bigger trouble than you think.

Viking
09-20-2013, 09:34 AM
The title of the guys email to the compliance woman was: "NCAA VIOLATIONS" so you better believe there were violations in the email and not just honor code stuff.

Seriously dude, did you not read the trib story?

There may have been alleged violations, but it would be presumptuous to "better believe" that there were in fact violations and "not just honor code stuff."

The NCAA has deflected the alleged allegations and is referring the media to BYU. That seriously implies that the "violations" were a red herring and an excuse to send a picture of an honor code violation.

We are on different sides of the aisle, so I don't expect you to agree, but the information at present suggests this was a BS move by your compliance department.

Dawminator
09-20-2013, 09:38 AM
I agree that there probably wasn't a violation. My above post didn't make that clear, but there was allegations of an NCAA violation. She did the right thing by letting BYU get in front of it before the NCAA would have found out. She did nothing wrong. Even some BYU fans are starting to admit this on, of all places, Cougarboard. When Lya says something nice about the Utes you know it is good. What the compliance person did is called professional courtesy and seriously anybody who can't see that either doesn't want to or is stupid.

LA Ute
09-20-2013, 09:40 AM
If we're the standard for "normal", you're in bigger trouble than you think.

This is very bad marketing. Please be careful before you post further comments along these lines. Otherwise I'll have to go to Compliance.

LA Ute
09-20-2013, 09:41 AM
Here's the person who was doing her job in this case. She doesn't seem very evil to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX-rVs1bprU

U-Ute
09-20-2013, 09:50 AM
I respectfully disagree with you that she "was only doing her job." It would be ridiculous to believe that BYU has ever asked the Utah compliance team to send evidence of students breaking the honor code. Hadley was not doing anything illegal or in violation of NCAA rules. She was not doing her job. If the allegations are true, she was simply being a petty person and has now created a precedent that is pretty scary.

I agree with you that Hadley would not be in this situation had he not done whatever he did.

I've always liked your posts in the past. You've always seemed fairly level headed. So I feel it my obligation to tell you that you're way off base on your criticism of the Charipar.

What do you suggest she should've done? Bury the photo? The person who sent it to her was obviously going to make sure it was going to be made public one way or another, so it was going to come out eventually. As others said, I think she did BYU a favor in giving them a chance to get in front of it, which they did the best they could.

To the point of every Utah athlete being a target: there is nothing new here. Who do you think was stalking the Twitter feeds of Utah football players and publicizing the training room video? I doubt it was Ute fans. So they are already targets. Every D1 athlete is. That is the nature of the beast.

If you want to direct your anger at anyone, it should be Hadley. He put himself and BYU in this position. You're just trying to shoot the proverbial messenger with this.

Jarid in Cedar
09-20-2013, 10:10 AM
The reason that no violation was found is because Stocking had a preexisting relationship with Hadley. He is a booster who was giving impossible benefits to an athlete. But, the preexisting relationship voids that. The snitch likely wasn't aware of that and simply saw a booster with an athlete. The relationship was discovered by BYU when they made their investigation into the matter.

UtahDan
09-20-2013, 10:18 AM
The reason that no violation was found is because Stocking had a preexisting relationship with Hadley. He is a booster who was giving impossible benefits to an athlete. But, the preexisting relationship voids that. The snitch likely wasn't aware of that and simply saw a booster with an athlete. The relationship was discovered by BYU when they made their investigation into the matter.

The more I learn about this....holy smokes are BYU fans psychologically scarred by the events if the last few years. It's made them really, really angry and irrational. This kid doesn't belong at BYU. At least wait until you lose before claiming victim status. I honestly don't get the attachment people feel for this game or the former rivalry. There's just nothing positive about it.

UBlender
09-20-2013, 10:30 AM

Nailed it. The fact that it didn't turn out to be an NCAA violation is immaterial. It was alleged that there was an NCAA violation in the email sent to Ms Charipar. She had no way of knowing if that were true without launching a full investigation of her own (which of course is preposterous). The only ethical option is exactly what she did: forward it to BYU and let them sort it out. If you're going to be mad at someone for failing to look the other way, you may as well be mad at BYU's compliance office--they could have swept it under the rug, since that seems to be what Viking wanted Utah to do with it.

I don't work in compliance but I work closely with that function. Receiving such information (even about a rival company) and failing to act on it is against everything these people are taught to do in their jobs. They are taught to check every nook and cranny for potential violations because one slip up is a major lawsuit waiting to happen.

Viking
09-20-2013, 10:41 AM
Jarid, what was shown in the picture? Unless they found Hadley's equivalent of "The Hangover" ending credits, it seems implausible that a photo could have given obvious evidence to believe a violation was occurring.

My presumption was that he was at a strip club drinking a beer with at worst a donor, but what does that prove?

LA Ute
09-20-2013, 10:45 AM
I don't work in compliance but I work closely with that function. Receiving such information (even about a rival company) and failing to act on it is against everything these people are taught to do in their jobs. They are taught to check every nook and cranny for potential violations because one slip up is a major lawsuit waiting to happen.

Not to mention fines and jail for many of them.

DanielLaRusso
09-20-2013, 11:07 AM
Jarid, what was shown in the picture? Unless they found Hadley's equivalent of "The Hangover" ending credits, it seems implausible that a photo could have given obvious evidence to believe a violation was occurring.

My presumption was that he was at a strip club drinking a beer with at worst a donor, but what does that prove?

My presumption is that he was doing blow, getting a lapdance, had a stolen bonobo in a babybjorn, and was shooting a pair of revolvers like Yosemite Sam. WHAT DOES THAT PROVE?!?!?!?!?!?!?

U-Ute
09-20-2013, 11:13 AM

It proves that Hadley was out partying it up with a booster, in another city, at a time when there were no obvious football reasons to do so.

That's much more than enough smoke to get the attention of a compliance officer.

USS Utah
09-20-2013, 11:13 AM

If you don't want to hear it from LA Ute or any other Ute fan, that's fine. Here are some local members of the media defending her:

Dan Sorenson:

https://www.facebook.com/perfectlyrounded/posts/10151956225106522

Lya Wodraska:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsutahsports/56897605-59/byu-utah-ncaa-nothing.html.csp

Viking
09-20-2013, 11:26 AM
We, of course, will not agree on this matter.

I bow out with the following:

I hope you win every game starting a week from tomorrow. But on September 21, may your pain be excruciating, your wounds deep, and your suffering everlasting.

Go Cougars. Beat Utah.

Solon
09-20-2013, 11:48 AM
We, of course, will not agree on this matter.

I bow out with the following:

I hope you win every game starting a week from tomorrow. But on September 21, may your pain be excruciating, your wounds deep, and your suffering everlasting.

Go Cougars. Beat Utah.

I hope Hadley was getting a lap dance at a strip club in Vegas, enjoying a cigar & an adult beverage (all legal for 21-year-olds). He's young and should have some fun.
I would welcome him to Utah's team for 2014. After his year-long NCAA-mandated repentance process is carried out.

The people publicizing the name of the compliance officer should be ashamed. I'm sure she's getting a bunch of hate-mail right now from byu-fans.
Kind of like when that byu DL Fuga blew out his knee vs. Nevada a few years ago and the fans went after the social-media pages of the guy who injured him. Completely ridiculous. Let the teams & administrators work it out on their own.

Viking
09-20-2013, 01:12 PM
I hope Hadley was getting a lap dance at a strip club in Vegas, enjoying a cigar & an adult beverage (all legal for 21-year-olds). He's young and should have some fun.
I would welcome him to Utah's team for 2014. After his year-long NCAA-mandated repentance process is carried out.

The people publicizing the name of the compliance officer should be ashamed. I'm sure she's getting a bunch of hate-mail right now from byu-fans.
Kind of like when that byu DL Fuga blew out his knee vs. Nevada a few years ago and the fans went after the social-media pages of the guy who injured him. Completely ridiculous. Let the teams & administrators work it out on their own.

I think the emails are public record for some reason.

I just read the email exchange. I got it wrong, most likely. The fellow made some pretty damning accusations and I see now why one could have felt the need to contact a counterpart.

That said, I think my response, if in her shoes, would be to send Mr. Lucy the email address of her counterpart at BYU and state, "Thank you for contacting me. This individual in question is not a student at the University of Utah and the matter is one you should address with BYU, as that is where the individual is enrolled. The director of compliance at BYU is [ ], his email is [ ] and telephone is [ ]. I strongly urge you to make contact with Mr. [ ]".

LA Ute
09-20-2013, 01:30 PM
I think the emails are public record for some reason.

I just read the email exchange. I got it wrong, most likely. The fellow made some pretty damning accusations and I see now why one could have felt the need to contact a counterpart.

That said, I think my response, if in her shoes, would be to send Mr. Lucy the email address of her counterpart at BYU and state, "Thank you for contacting me. This individual in question is not a student at the University of Utah and the matter is one you should address with BYU, as that is where the individual is enrolled. The director of compliance at BYU is [ ], his email is [ ] and telephone is [ ]. I strongly urge you to make contact with Mr. [ ]".

I don't know how the compliance world of intercollegiate athletics works. In the absence of that knowledge, your suggestion as to how she should have reacted makes sense. I don't know of any reason why she was obligated to act as she did, apart from custom and practice, and perhaps professional courtesy among the fraternity of collegiate compliance officers. I would be interested to know more about that.

But still. We don't know if the complaint went straight to BYU too. I don't think we can ever know that. Also, I am not clear on how is the Tribune learned of this, and how they knew to ask the U./Ms. Charipar for the documents. In light of all of this, I don't see how it's fair to make her the villain.

What does seem fair to say is that whoever Mr. Lucy is, he has rolled one heck of a giant rivalry week stinkbomb into the room.

Jarid in Cedar
09-20-2013, 01:49 PM
i disagree with the assertion that we need to spread BYU out. Take a page from what Oregon State did to BYU last year, and to us this year. Oregon State ran max protect, allowing their receivers time to find openings and allowing their QB to remain upright. BYU pass rush got to the QB as much as we did against the Beavers.

Here is what I would do:

1. Run double tight ends(Murphy and Tonga) and split flankers(Dres and fitz/denham), with a single back. Keep the formation balanced so that BYu can't overload one side without exposing the other side.

2. Identify KVN on pass plays, and initally keep his TE in to block. If KVN rushes, then help with protection, if he drops into coverage, drag that TE across the formation. Use the running back to pass pro initially, then drift into the flat if he doesn't have anyone to pick up. Make BYU rush 4-5 against 7. Dres is good enough and their corners bad enough that he will find openings if given 3-4 seconds in the pattern.

3. Run play action pass with Murphy hitting the seam(we have seen this play multiple times already). But run Dres on a post towards the safety on that side. The ILB on that side has to respect and react to the dive fake, so he should be pulled towards the LOS. The read is then the safety, if he stays back, take murphy and the 8-10 yards every play, if he bites on the seam, then hit dres crossing the field behind him.

4. On running plays, we need to protect from the offside LB scraping down the line to get into the play. He just needs slowed for a 1 1/2 count.

5. Attack Van Noy with the pass. Use the WR on his side to run to CB off deep, then send the TE into the intermediate flat and Poole into the shallow flat. Make him choose who he is going to cover. The TE won't get covered if they try to use the play side ILB to cover the flat, and Van Noy takes the back. If Van Noy takes the TE, then you have the back 1 v 1 with the ILB, which is a good match up.

6. Don't give upu on the run, even if we are not making much headway. We make a ton of big plays on play action. We can't give up on that part of our game.

U-Ute
09-20-2013, 01:54 PM
For what it is worth, DeadSpin has posted an article (http://deadspin.com/this-is-the-photo-that-got-a-byu-football-player-suspen-1356566456), along with the photo and emails.

Frankly, outside of BYU, it seems innocuous.

Although I find it interesting that the photo isn't some sort of "gotcha" photo shot in secret. Everyone is posing for the camera, including Spencer.

USS Utah
09-20-2013, 02:02 PM
I don't know how the compliance world of intercollegiate athletics works. In the absence of that knowledge, your suggestion as to how she should have reacted makes sense. I don't know of any reason why she was obligated to act as she did, apart from custom and practice, and perhaps professional courtesy among the fraternity of collegiate compliance officers. I would be interested to know more about that.

But still. We don't know if the complaint went straight to BYU too. I don't think we can ever know that. Also, I am not clear on how is the Tribune learned of this, and how they knew to ask the U./Ms. Charipar for the documents. In light of all of this, I don't see how it's fair to make her the villain.

What does seem fair to say is that whoever Mr. Lucy is, he has rolled one heck of a giant rivalry week stinkbomb into the room.

We do have two local reporters saying that what she did is a standard practice.

Solon
09-20-2013, 02:13 PM
For what it is worth, DeadSpin has posted an article (http://deadspin.com/this-is-the-photo-that-got-a-byu-football-player-suspen-1356566456), along with the photo and emails.

Frankly, outside of BYU, it seems innocuous.

Although I find it interesting that the photo isn't some sort of "gotcha" photo shot in secret. Everyone is posing for the camera, including Spencer.

I know it's time to move on, but it seems unlikely to me that he got suspended for the photo. Maybe he confessed to an HC indiscretion when confronted, but there's nothing in the Honor Code that prohibits a visit to a night club (is there?).

Solon
09-20-2013, 02:14 PM
i disagree with the assertion that we need to spread BYU out. Take a page from what Oregon State did to BYU last year, and to us this year. Oregon State ran max protect, allowing their receivers time to find openings and allowing their QB to remain upright. BYU pass rush got to the QB as much as we did against the Beavers.

Here is what I would do:

1. Run double tight ends(Murphy and Tonga) and split flankers(Dres and fitz/denham), with a single back. Keep the formation balanced so that BYu can't overload one side without exposing the other side.

2. Identify KVN on pass plays, and initally keep his TE in to block. If KVN rushes, then help with protection, if he drops into coverage, drag that TE across the formation. Use the running back to pass pro initially, then drift into the flat if he doesn't have anyone to pick up. Make BYU rush 4-5 against 7. Dres is good enough and their corners bad enough that he will find openings if given 3-4 seconds in the pattern.

3. Run play action pass with Murphy hitting the seam(we have seen this play multiple times already). But run Dres on a post towards the safety on that side. The ILB on that side has to respect and react to the dive fake, so he should be pulled towards the LOS. The read is then the safety, if he stays back, take murphy and the 8-10 yards every play, if he bites on the seam, then hit dres crossing the field behind him.

4. On running plays, we need to protect from the offside LB scraping down the line to get into the play. He just needs slowed for a 1 1/2 count.

5. Attack Van Noy with the pass. Use the WR on his side to run to CB off deep, then send the TE into the intermediate flat and Poole into the shallow flat. Make him choose who he is going to cover. The TE won't get covered if they try to use the play side ILB to cover the flat, and Van Noy takes the back. If Van Noy takes the TE, then you have the back 1 v 1 with the ILB, which is a good match up.

6. Don't give upu on the run, even if we are not making much headway. We make a ton of big plays on play action. We can't give up on that part of our game.

I haven't watched the byu play this year. Do they have someone who can run with Dres, or will it likely be a schemed defense (i.e., alignment & double-coverage)?
I trust Erickson will be able to exploit Dres's speed and the TEs' size/speed. Assuming, of course, that Wilson will get a few seconds to throw (perhaps a big assumption).

Senioritis
09-20-2013, 02:18 PM

Here is what I would do:

This is like the best XOXOXO thing I've read all week. For all of the talk about the Ute D line underperforming, not much talk has been given about OSU having 7 guys in to protect on almost every play. When you are rushing 5 on 7, you aren't getting to the QB. You just aren't.

Dres Anderson can beat these Cougars outside, but the only way he's going to have time is if Utah goes max protect. I hate the matchup of Utah's tackles straight up against BYU's OLBs.

Jarid in Cedar
09-20-2013, 02:21 PM
I haven't watched the byu play this year. Do they have someone who can run with Dres, or will it likely be a schemed defense (i.e., alignment & double-coverage)?
I trust Erickson will be able to exploit Dres's speed and the TEs' size/speed. Assuming, of course, that Wilson will get a few seconds to throw (perhaps a big assumption).

Not on the outside they don't. I think that they will stay with their base zone coverage until it is beaten. BYU's mo for attacking the pass is to attack the quarterback. If they can't get there with their front, they will try to get there by bringing the house.

U-Ute
09-20-2013, 02:47 PM
I know it's time to move on, but it seems unlikely to me that he got suspended for the photo. Maybe he confessed to an HC indiscretion when confronted, but there's nothing in the Honor Code that prohibits a visit to a night club (is there?).

It is obvious that Hadley came clean with whatever happened when confronted with the photo. That's the only reason BYU would suspend him for 5 games before all of this became public. Denials would've forced an investigation into it, and I doubt they would've suspended him until all of the information was in.

U-Ute
09-20-2013, 02:48 PM
Not on the outside they don't. I think that they will stay with their base zone coverage until it is beaten. BYU's mo for attacking the pass is to attack the quarterback. If they can't get there with their front, they will try to get there by bringing the house.

I think we'll see a lot of deep crossing routes, which are difficult to defend with a zone.

If Wilson can get time that is.

sancho
09-20-2013, 04:15 PM

He also made our job on the field a little easier, for which I am grateful.

sancho
09-20-2013, 04:17 PM
Assuming, of course, that Wilson will get a few seconds to throw (perhaps a big assumption).

This is THE key issue in the game. I am encouraged by what we did to beat the rush vs OSU after getting burned a few times in the first quarter, but I believe BYU's pass rush is much better.

uteinlogan
09-20-2013, 07:04 PM
Here's the person who was doing her job in this case. She doesn't seem very evil to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX-rVs1bprU

She seems like a sweet lady. A zoob wished her cervical cancer but to each their own I suppose.

SoCalCoug
09-21-2013, 07:54 AM

I, personally, blame the Utes' compliance director.

DrumNFeather
09-21-2013, 10:24 AM
Everyone on the gameday set picked the Cougs, and just about every circumstantial component favors them. So, can they hold up to that pressure?

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

LA Ute
09-21-2013, 10:27 AM
Exterior, LA Ute home, this morning:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/22/2atajadu.jpg

U-Ute
09-21-2013, 05:32 PM
Rumors of Hoffman being out?

EDIT: Nevermind. People are reading too much into tweets:

@ESPN700Hans: @JazzHoops I never said he was a no go, just very concerned about his hammy. Heard it was hurting him. He's a tough kid!

redpatty
09-21-2013, 05:45 PM
Strained hamstrings are a tough injury. Always at risk for a tear, then you're out for the rest of the season.

SoCalPat
09-21-2013, 06:39 PM

Can athletic departments drug test their student-athletes for cause at any time? If they can, what do you do with Hadley if he tests positive for something more besides alcohol? If that's the case, and speaking purely hypothetically, if you're Hadley you fess up to having some drinks if there's something bigger you can get busted for.

U-Ute
09-21-2013, 06:47 PM
1. Stop BYU's rushing attack. Make Hill beat you with his arm

2 Turnovers. We can't give BYU multiple chances.

3. Balance in offense.

4. No special teams mistakes.

Diehard Ute
09-21-2013, 07:06 PM
Can athletic departments drug test their student-athletes for cause at any time? If they can, what do you do with Hadley if he tests positive for something more besides alcohol? If that's the case, and speaking purely hypothetically, if you're Hadley you fess up to having some drinks if there's something bigger you can get busted for.

Yes they can. Most schools do their own testing on top of what the NCAA does.

What happens with those tests is up to the school (Utah has an athletic dept wide policy, 2nd positive is 3 game suspension, third is loss of scholarship and dismissal from the team)

UtahDan
09-21-2013, 07:42 PM
1. Stop BYU's rushing attack. Make Hill beat you with his arm

2 Turnovers. We can't give BYU multiple chances.

3. Balance in offense.

4. No special teams mistakes.

I think we just need to show up. They're not very good.

Viking
09-21-2013, 07:50 PM
i think we just need to show up. They're not very good.

Sent from my mb865 using tapatalk 2

lol.

Jarid in Cedar
09-21-2013, 08:30 PM
Solid defensive start. Can't run away without chipping the pursuit. Could be set up for some counter action against the over pursue

Jarid in Cedar
09-21-2013, 08:41 PM
Winning field position 10 yards per possession. Now, keep them deep.

Jarid in Cedar
09-21-2013, 08:56 PM
Nice to draw first blood. Defense needs to stay disciplined on play action

Sullyute
09-21-2013, 08:58 PM
Ute defense looking good right now

DrumNFeather
09-21-2013, 09:00 PM
Solid first quarter, gotta finish drives fellas

Jarid in Cedar
09-21-2013, 09:09 PM
Can't float the ball up there like that. Lucky that Fitz played some defense

Jarid in Cedar
09-21-2013, 09:12 PM
Nice play by Whittingham.

Jarid in Cedar
09-21-2013, 09:13 PM
That. Was. Close.

Sullyute
09-21-2013, 09:16 PM
York is playing with fire.

Jarid in Cedar
09-21-2013, 09:16 PM
I think York is pissed at losing his job. He is flat destroying fools.

DrumNFeather
09-21-2013, 09:18 PM
Hit him into Spanish Fork

DrumNFeather
09-21-2013, 09:19 PM
Can't l let them hang around...gotta get these TDs

Jarid in Cedar
09-21-2013, 09:27 PM
New year, same Sorenson

DrumNFeather
09-21-2013, 09:40 PM
Big score there. We needed that. Very solid first half.

Jarid in Cedar
09-21-2013, 09:40 PM
Great sequence for Erickson. Bronco is a good defensive coach, but Erickson is toying with him.

DrumNFeather
09-21-2013, 09:47 PM
Great sequence for Erickson. Bronco is a good defensive coach, but Erickson is toying with him.

Yep. The Cougs have speed, but they over pursue.

sancho
09-21-2013, 09:47 PM
BYU has wasted the career of Kyle Van Noy with years of bad offense. Kind of like us with Star.

Sullyute
09-21-2013, 09:49 PM
After last week, huge turn around for the utah defense. Bad throws by hill help too.

sancho
09-21-2013, 09:50 PM
After last week, huge turn around for the utah defense. Bad throws by hill help too.

And don't forget the drops. You can't drop a good Hill pass! Who knows when you might get another?

Jarid in Cedar
09-21-2013, 10:13 PM
Good coverage by Thomas on that last play

DrumNFeather
09-21-2013, 10:14 PM
Good coverage by Thomas on that last play

Yep, need a drive now.

DrumNFeather
09-21-2013, 10:19 PM
Run that under center

LA Ute
09-21-2013, 10:25 PM
Can anyone tell what's happening on offense up the middle in the 2nd half? Looks like they're stuffing us there right now.

DrumNFeather
09-21-2013, 10:29 PM
Can anyone tell what's happening on offense up the middle in the 2nd half? Looks like they're stuffing us there right now.

Their line is getting a good push, and we are calling plays that go to their strength.

LA Ute
09-21-2013, 10:29 PM
I hope Williams is OK.

Sullyute
09-21-2013, 10:31 PM
I hope Williams is OK.

Agree.

Sullyute
09-21-2013, 10:33 PM
Got to stop this momentum

DrumNFeather
09-21-2013, 10:34 PM
We have to respond

LA Ute
09-21-2013, 10:35 PM
Yep, need a score.

LA Ute
09-21-2013, 10:36 PM
Bad decision on that return.

LA Ute
09-21-2013, 10:38 PM
Their line is getting a good push, and we are calling plays that go to their strength.

DE must think we can still run up the gut.

LA Ute
09-21-2013, 10:40 PM
I wonder if the D can come up with a TO. That would be a great momentum change. No TO in the game yet.

DrumNFeather
09-21-2013, 10:46 PM
We need to chip KVN.

LA Ute
09-21-2013, 10:47 PM
We need to chip KVN.

Certainly can't let a guy like him run free.

Mormon Red Death
09-21-2013, 10:54 PM
Great drive

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

DrumNFeather
09-21-2013, 10:54 PM
Wilson is tough...love this kid.

LA Ute
09-21-2013, 10:55 PM
Feeling much better now....

Jarid in Cedar
15 play drive for the td. Just what this Dr. ordered :bump:

Sullyute
Feeling much better now....

The breathing room is nice

DrumNFeather
09-21-2013, 11:01 PM
Nice stop

Hot Lunch
09-21-2013, 11:03 PM
15 play drive for the td. Just what this Dr. ordered :bump:

Let's get one more and end it right here.

LA Ute
Just saw the stats. They are relatively even. We are just making the plays, I guess.

Jarid in Cedar
What we need here is a big, long drive to rip their hearts out

LA Ute
09-21-2013, 11:07 PM
Let's get one more and end it right here.

Yes.

LA Ute
09-21-2013, 11:09 PM
Pretty bad call.

DrumNFeather
09-21-2013, 11:09 PM
What...?

Jarid in Cedar
09-21-2013, 11:10 PM
Out kicked his coverage

LA Ute
09-21-2013, 11:10 PM
And that, my friends, is how a bad call can turn the momentum of a game.

LA Ute
09-21-2013, 11:12 PM
Karma is on our side.

Jarid in Cedar
09-21-2013, 11:13 PM
Walker had had a fabulous game in coverage. He has had about 3-4 pbu's.

UtahDan
09-21-2013, 11:13 PM
I think we just need to show up. They're not very good.

I wasn't kidding. Outside of Van Noy, the talent gap has become significant. I guess it's nice to have kind of a "gimme" game where you can play sort of flat and still get the win. But this game has lost all its former luster. BYU is just a shell of what it used to be.

LA Ute
09-21-2013, 11:15 PM
Now we need a long, time-consuming drive with a score. A TD would be great, a FG would be fine.

wuapinmon
09-21-2013, 11:17 PM
Anyone who whines about how y'all won this game should hide his head in shame. You dominated from the get go and your QB is better than ours. Hill chokes. Congrats, seriously, but please don't warm your hands over the coming self-immolation.

Idon'tgnawonmywife
09-21-2013, 11:18 PM
I wasn't kidding. Outside of Van Noy, the talent gap has become significant. I guess it's nice to have kind of a "gimme" game where you can play sort of flat and still get the win. But this game has lost all its former luster. BYU is just a shell of what it used to be.

As a Byu fan (though waning over the years), all I can say is: "yep"

LA Ute
09-21-2013, 11:18 PM
Anyone who whines about how y'all won this game should hide his head in shame. You dominated from the get go and your QB is better than ours. Hill chokes. Congrats, seriously, but please don't warm your hands over the coming self-immolation.

I'm not relaxing until the clock shows 0:00 and we are still ahead.

Sullyute
09-21-2013, 11:19 PM
Byu winning the field position right now. Thare is still lotd of time on the clock. Utes need to hold on.

wuapinmon
09-21-2013, 11:20 PM
If BYU wins this, I'll get the cute logo tattoed on my butt

LA Ute
09-21-2013, 11:22 PM
A turnover would be nice right about now. And that was a stupid and costly penalty. He at least seems remorseful.

Sullyute
09-21-2013, 11:22 PM
I am surprised that there have been turnovers so far.

DrumNFeather
09-21-2013, 11:23 PM
Rowe

Hot Lunch
09-21-2013, 11:24 PM
That was a pretty piss poor personal foul call on Rowe. Horrible call.

GarthUte
09-21-2013, 11:25 PM
When the hell is Whittingham going to start kicking the ass of the dumbass little punks who think they need to taunt the opposition after making a good play? If I was Whittingham, Rowe would spend all next week running his ass off until he pukes.

Freaky Girl
09-21-2013, 11:25 PM
Gah! Terrible time for that taunting. :(

UtahDan
09-21-2013, 11:26 PM
That was a pretty piss poor personal foul call on Rowe. Horrible call.

These are the guys that screwed up Wisc v. ASU last week.

We'll tack on another score.

sancho
09-21-2013, 11:27 PM
To be fair to Rowe, the refs had let similar levels of taunting go all night long. How are we supposed to know what's allowable? Of course, if you just do nothing, there's no risk.

LA Ute
09-21-2013, 11:29 PM
Now we just need to get first downs.

LA Ute
09-21-2013, 11:34 PM
Time for some leadership. Keep your heads, guys.

LA Ute
09-21-2013, 11:38 PM
Sparkling D. Ball game on the line now.

LA Ute
09-21-2013, 11:39 PM
Woot

LA Ute
09-21-2013, 11:40 PM
1st pick of the year came at a great time.

LA Ute
09-21-2013, 11:47 PM
Whew.

sancho
09-21-2013, 11:49 PM
These are the guys that screwed up Wisc v. ASU last week.

Can't wait to see who these guys ref next week.

DrumNFeather
09-21-2013, 11:50 PM
3-1 heading into the bye, i'll take it.

Sullyute
09-21-2013, 11:50 PM
It wasn't pretty but we will take the win. Go Utes!

Freaky Girl
09-21-2013, 11:51 PM
Whew!!! Go Utes!!

UtahDan
09-21-2013, 11:52 PM
Stay classy Van Noy. #nohandshake

GarthUte
09-21-2013, 11:52 PM
I can understand Van Noy's frustration. He gets to live the rest of his life knowing that he couldn't beat the rival.

UtahDan
09-21-2013, 11:53 PM
I can understand Van Noy's frustration. He gets to live the rest of his life knowing that he couldn't beat the rival.

Former rival. We really need to get over the CU hump.

Jarid in Cedar
09-21-2013, 11:53 PM
That was more tense than it needed to be. Time to take a walk to cool off.

GarthUte
09-21-2013, 11:54 PM
Former rival. We really need to get over the CU hump.

CU is Utah's rival. Utah is still BYU's rival.

GarthUte
09-21-2013, 11:57 PM
That was more tense than it needed to be. Time to take a walk to cool off.

That's a good idea. The first 5 minutes or so of the 3rd quarter really ticked me off, especially giving up that 3rd and long for a first down. Then Hill got the long run. I can't enjoy the win because I'm still ticked about those two plays.

concerned
09-21-2013, 11:58 PM
CU is Utah's rival. Utah is still BYU's rival.

wilson had no turnovers on the road. the boy is growing up, and survived Eric Rowe's brain dead penalty.