PDA

View Full Version : Drizzy Dres - Best Utah wideout while at Utah since???

Sisyphus
09-26-2013, 05:44 PM
It's bye week and we gotta talk football...

404 yards so far in 4 games. Freakin' 22.5 yards per reception and a big play machine.

He already has more yardage and equal TDs compared to his entire 2010 and 2011 seasons.

The only guys I think that are even in the conversation @ the U compared to what we're seeing this year out of Dres would be:

Brian Rowley
Carl Harry
Steve Smith
Kevin Dyson
David Reed
Steve Savoy
Paris Warren

Rowley, Harry, Warren & Reed are the only WRs who have had over 1,000 yd receiving seasons. Dres does that this year and probably next if he doesn't go early...

Applejack
09-26-2013, 05:48 PM
It's bye week and we gotta talk football...

404 yards so far in 4 games. Freakin' 22.5 yards per reception and a big play machine.

He already has more yardage and equal TDs compared to his entire 2010 and 2011 seasons.

The only guys I think that are even in the conversation @ the U compared to what we're seeing this year out of Dres would be:

Brian Rowley
Carl Harry
Steve Smith
Kevin Dyson
David Reed
Steve Savoy
Paris Warren

Rowley, Harry, Warren & Reed are the only WRs who have had over 1,000 yd receiving seasons. Dres does that this year and probably next if he doesn't go early...

Kevin Dyson never had 1000 yards in a season? :uzi: McBride

DrumNFeather
09-26-2013, 06:32 PM

Same for Cliff Russel, he never got to 40 Rec in a season and had 600 and 500 yard receiving seasons with 3 TDs each year.

Utah
09-26-2013, 08:41 PM
Imagine if he would fight for/catch more balls. Wilson only has 1 INT this year, we beat OSU, Dres has at LEAST 3 more TD's.

So much talent. But he could be so much better as well.

utefan
09-26-2013, 08:54 PM
Imagine if he would fight for/catch more balls. Wilson only has 1 INT this year, we beat OSU, Dres has at LEAST 3 more TD's.

So much talent. But he could be so much better as well.

Imagine how good he'll be next year. Wilson too, for that matter.

Scott should be back then too. That will be a scary good offense.

SoCalPat
09-26-2013, 09:23 PM

You can't blame McBride for this one. Blame Terrance Keehan (who averaged more YPC than Dyson and had 617 yards on just 39 catches in 1996), a talented RB duo in Chris Fuamatu Ma'afala and Juan Johnson (who were together for THREE years with Dyson), and 11-game regular seasons.

hostile
09-26-2013, 11:16 PM
You can't blame McBride for this one. Blame Terrance Keehan (who averaged more YPC than Dyson and had 617 yards on just 39 catches in 1996), a talented RB duo in Chris Fuamatu Ma'afala and Juan Johnson (who were together for THREE years with Dyson), and 11-game regular seasons.

Terrance is my BIL. Great guy. He had some big catches that year as well as a killer block against AFA, if I remember correctly.

codered
09-27-2013, 03:15 AM
Selective memory Pat. RB's aside, our offensive scheme was absolutely horrible that year. It definitely picked up as the year progressed. But it was pretty much off tackle right, left, try and convert 3rd and long (while being blitzed) and punting for the first half of that season. Though blaming Mac directly may not be appropriate, he was the chief in charge.

Applejack
09-27-2013, 05:54 AM
Selective memory Pat. RB's aside, our offensive scheme was absolutely horrible that year. It definitely picked up as the year progressed. But it was pretty much off tackle right, left, try and convert 3rd and long (while being blitzed) and punting for the first half of that season. Though blaming Mac directly may not be appropriate, he was the chief in charge.

Agreed. I am the biggest MAFU lover you'll ever encounter, but Ronnie Mac wasted a LOT of offensive talent over the years. Of course, he is responsible for bringing that talent here in the first place, so it's hard to pick on him too much. We should have been so much better offensively with Russel, Maafala, and JuanJ. We were just average, if I recall.

And don't even get me started about pulling Jamaal Anderson whenever we got to the goal line. :uzi: Harold Lusk running the daffy

SoCalPat
09-27-2013, 08:32 AM
Agreed. I am the biggest MAFU lover you'll ever encounter, but Ronnie Mac wasted a LOT of offensive talent over the years. Of course, he is responsible for bringing that talent here in the first place, so it's hard to pick on him too much. We should have been so much better offensively with Russel, Maafala, and JuanJ. We were just average, if I recall.

And don't even get me started about pulling Jamaal Anderson whenever we got to the goal line. :uzi: Harold Lusk running the daffy

Mac's issues weren't much different from what Kyle has experienced with regard to braintrust on the offensive side of the ball. You could make the argument that Rick Rasnick was the best OC Utah ever had. After that, we were pretty vanilla in a lot of ways. Some of that was out of necessity, some of it was Ron bringing in "his guys" and some of it was Ron's own belief in how an offense should be run. Trust me when I say Ron knows he didn't utilize certain guys better. He told me as such with Steve Smith, and I related that conversation in my book.

All I'm saying was there were more factors in Dyson not getting a 1,000-yard receiving season than just McBride.

Applejack
09-27-2013, 09:14 AM
Mac's issues weren't much different from what Kyle has experienced with regard to braintrust on the offensive side of the ball. You could make the argument that Rick Rasnick was the best OC Utah ever had. After that, we were pretty vanilla in a lot of ways. Some of that was out of necessity, some of it was Ron bringing in "his guys" and some of it was Ron's own belief in how an offense should be run. Trust me when I say Ron knows he didn't utilize certain guys better. He told me as such with Steve Smith, and I related that conversation in my book.

All I'm saying was there were more factors in Dyson not getting a 1,000-yard receiving season than just McBride.

I revere Ronnie Mac as the creator of Utah football. But MAFU's genius was in general attitude and atmosphere which brought unprecedented athleticism to the team. His weakness was Xs and Os. The 1995 team was one of my favorite teams - it featured a future NFLer at WR (Dyson), RB (Ma'afala), and TE/FB (Henry Lusk)! When has that ever happened at Utah. And still our offense was meh. That should have been a breakout year - instead it was a 4-way tie for the WAC title.

But, as I said, without Ronnie, we are still in the WAC throwing out scrubs from Olympus High.

SoCalPat
09-27-2013, 10:15 AM
I revere Ronnie Mac as the creator of Utah football. But MAFU's genius was in general attitude and atmosphere which brought unprecedented athleticism to the team. His weakness was Xs and Os. The 1995 team was one of my favorite teams - it featured a future NFLer at WR (Dyson), RB (Ma'afala), and TE/FB (Henry Lusk)! When has that ever happened at Utah. And still our offense was meh. That should have been a breakout year - instead it was a 4-way tie for the WAC title.

But, as I said, without Ronnie, we are still in the WAC throwing out scrubs from Olympus High.

I think you're forgetting how much we lost from the 1994 team. Dyson and Ma'afala were young. Brandon Jones was our starting QB, yet Mac pulled that plug pretty quickly in favor of Mike Fouts, probably one of the most underrated players ever at Utah. We had NOBODY on defense that year, in fact, our number of returning starters, which was about 7 or 8, was among the fewest in the country.

We did have a few things going for us. In an 11-game slate, we had seven home games for just the second time in school history. And Mac had built the program up to the point to where maybe we shouldn't have expected a huge falloff from the 1994 team. That's easy to say in hindsight, but we were in unchartered waters as a program. But winning the WAC that year truly was a breakout season for Utah. Yeah, the SDSU loss was a killer. But after that, we crushed expectations. The wins vs. Fresno and AFA were epic comebacks. We kicked the shit out of BYU. We went undefeated on the road for the first time since Ike Armstrong was coach.

The 1995 team is also one of my favorites, but it's for what they did, not for what they didn't do.

Two Utes
09-27-2013, 10:31 AM

Love Mac, but I will never forgive him for not getting the ball in Steve Smith's hands. Every time Smith touched the ball he had a chance to score. But inexplicably Mac didn't use him all that much. I spent the whole season screaming "get Smith the F'ing Ball." For 3 or 4 years, Smith may have been the best football player in the world, pound for pound. And he's still a monster in the NFL to this day.

It also took Mac to the seventh game of his senior year to to start using Jamaal Anderson a lot. How in the world do you not give that guy the ball 20-30 times a game? He ended up being fucking NFL MVP one year.

But Mac could recruit.

I get frustrated thinking about this to this day.

Applejack
09-27-2013, 11:57 AM
Love Mac, but I will never forgive him for not getting the ball in Steve Smith's hands. Every time Smith touched the ball he had a chance to score. But inexplicably Mac didn't use him all that much. I spent the whole season screaming "get Smith the F'ing Ball." For 3 or 4 years, Smith may have been the best football player in the world, pound for pound. And he's still a monster in the NFL to this day.

It also took Mac to the seventh game of his senior year to to start using Jamaal Anderson a lot. How in the world do you not give that guy the ball 20-30 times a game? He ended up being fucking NFL MVP one year.

But Mac could recruit.

I get frustrated thinking about this to this day.

Jamal averaged 5.7 yds per carry during his Utah career. And for that production he was given slightly over 10 carries per game. :swear:

DrumNFeather
09-27-2013, 12:17 PM
Mac had two big blunders towards the end that I remember. One was burning Smith's redshirt vs. SDSU and the other was keeping Marty Johnson in that Indiana game when it was well in hand.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

Sisyphus
09-27-2013, 12:30 PM
RE: Smith/Mac

I recall it took Mac about a year before he just went with "Steve" instead of "Steve One"

Always have, always will love Mac. When Mac was hired the football goal was "we just don't want to be embarrassed"

SoCalPat
09-27-2013, 01:33 PM

Clarification: In Jamal's monster year of 1998, Terrell Davis ran for over 2,000 yards and Randall Cunningham led perhaps the most devastating offense since the merger. By all accounts, those two are your NFL MVPs that year. Jamal was first-team All-Pro that year (along with Davis at RB), but not MVP.

Two Utes
09-27-2013, 02:14 PM
Clarification: In Jamal's monster year of 1998, Terrell Davis ran for over 2,000 yards and Randall Cunningham led perhaps the most devastating offense since the merger. By all accounts, those two are your NFL MVPs that year. Jamal was first-team All-Pro that year (along with Davis at RB), but not MVP.

I stand corrected. He had over 1800 yards rushing that year.

Hot Lunch
09-27-2013, 03:39 PM
Mac had two big blunders towards the end that I remember. One was burning Smith's redshirt vs. SDSU and the other was keeping Marty Johnson in that Indiana game when it was well in hand.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

The burning of Alex's redshirt didn't end up hurting Utah in the long run. He didn't stick around for his senior year anyway. :)

SoCalPat
09-27-2013, 04:03 PM
I stand corrected. He had over 1800 yards rushing that year.

And his 410 carries that season was an NFL record, since broken by the 416 by Larry Johnson for KC in 2006. It's still No. 2 all-time single-season.