PDA

View Full Version : The Trojans, the Ducks, the Bruins, and all those guys: The PAC-12 rivals thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

sancho
12-10-2014, 03:35 PM
This fits here too

Twitter (and the Portland Tribune) reporting Gary Andersen to Oregon State

This is not good for Utah recruiting. It's also not good for Gary Anderson's coaching career. He had 9 wins guaranteed each season in Madison. He will have 2-3 in Corvallis.

Diehard Ute
12-10-2014, 03:37 PM
This is not good for Utah recruiting. It's also not good for Gary Anderson's coaching career. He had 9 wins guaranteed each season in Madison. He will have 2-3 in Corvallis.

I don't think it's going to change recruiting. I don't think he's going to sway any more recruits to go to OSU then he did Wisconsin.

sancho
12-10-2014, 03:39 PM
I don't think it's going to change recruiting. I don't think he's going to sway any more recruits to go to OSU then he did Wisconsin.

Probably right, and he won't sway them for long because he's not going to win.

mpfunk
12-10-2014, 03:41 PM

The guy won at Utah St, he can win at Oregon State.

concerned
12-10-2014, 03:42 PM
so we all thought it would be a longshot for him to replace KW. I guess not.

sancho
12-10-2014, 03:45 PM
The guy won at Utah St, he can win at Oregon State.

I think it's harder to win at OSU. His wins at USU were against Utah and a bunch of WAC teams.

It'll definitely be interesting.

concerned
12-10-2014, 03:54 PM
I read thar Riley doubled his salary going to Nebraska, and that OSU was looking to pay his successor less b/c of a budget crunch. Even if they didnt nickel and dime GA, he cant be making close to what he made at Wis, I would think.

Scratch
12-10-2014, 04:04 PM
Barry Alvarez must be a real dick.

Diehard Ute
12-10-2014, 04:11 PM

Word is he liked Alvarez but didn't enjoy Wisconsin and wanted to get back to the west.

Scratch
12-10-2014, 04:14 PM
Word is he liked Alvarez but didn't enjoy Wisconsin and wanted to get back to the west.

I'm sure that would be his story either way (not disputing it, just saying it doesn't really prove anything).

sancho
12-10-2014, 04:14 PM

This is the general impression I've always had of Alvarez.

Diehard Ute
12-10-2014, 04:16 PM
I'm sure that would be his story either way (not disputing it, just saying it doesn't really prove anything).

That was coming from a Chicago reporter that covers the conference. Could it be a line. Sure. But with that source I think it's more likely to be true.

And if you look at his jump to SUU and back, it wouldn't be the first time he's decided he made a mistake in terms of location and changed it quickly

justaute
12-10-2014, 04:20 PM
I think it's a good hire. I like GA -- more so than a few on our coaching staff. Even though I'm a Utah fan, I try to stay objective as possible.

U-Ute
12-10-2014, 04:39 PM
BYU fans are furious at this sudden change in events.

How long until the conspiracy theories about Whittingham and the PAC-12 getting Anderson to OSU to somehow keep BYU out of the Big12 surface?

sancho
12-10-2014, 04:43 PM
BYU fans are furious at this sudden change in events.

Why? What does this have to do with them? Or, are they just mad that they have to keep Bronco Mendenhall?

U-Ute
12-10-2014, 04:44 PM
Why? What does this have to do with them? Or, are they just mad that they have to keep Bronco Mendenhall?

This. Many were certain OSU was the way to unload him.

That being said, these are the same ones that firmly believe Bronco is the problem to begin with.

utefan
12-10-2014, 09:26 PM
So the Big 10 raids the Pac 12 for a coach, and the Pac 12 raids the Big 10 for an even better coach. Ah, the off season. Good times.

justaute
12-11-2014, 10:32 AM
I like this quote.

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2014/12/goe_oregon_states_hire_of_wisc.html#incart_maj-story-1

""I'm a little flabbergasted," former Michigan offensive coordinator Al Borges said. "That is an amazing hire. Gary is real thorough, very smart. He's coached defense, but he knows offense too. He knows what it takes to win."

Applejack
12-17-2014, 12:27 PM
Do we have an official Pac-12 leaving early list? Let's start rooting our friendly rival underclassmen to try their luck in the draft!

Good luck Shaq Thompson (UW) and Jaelen Strong (ASU)! The first round awaits!

Applejack
12-17-2014, 12:29 PM
Also, it's been fun having Leonard Williams (USC) and Arik Armstead (ORegon) chasing our QBs for two years. See you guys in the NFL!

Applejack
12-17-2014, 12:31 PM
APparently Marcus Peters (db for Washington) was kicked off the team and will declare early. Good luck, Marcus! Please take all of those All-American defenders with you!

sancho
12-17-2014, 12:41 PM
APparently Marcus Peters (db for Washington) was kicked off the team and will declare early. Good luck, Marcus! Please take all of those All-American defenders with you!

This is fun, but remind me the rules. Can a redshirt sophomore go?

SoCalPat
12-17-2014, 01:11 PM

Yes. He's three years removed from his graduating class. It's what Manziel did and what Winston likely will do.

UtahsMrSports
12-17-2014, 01:12 PM

Yep. As long as you have been out of high school for three years, you are set.

Applejack
12-17-2014, 01:14 PM
Stanford has a lot of guys that could go, but I want them all to stay and finish their amazing education! You hear that, Andrus Peat, stick around. Imagine what another year at Stanford can do for you! This applies to all those Stanford players who are thinking about declaring next year too - don't do it. Stay in school!

But in two years, that program/school is going to be a dumpster fire. Get out in 2017.

sancho
12-17-2014, 01:23 PM
Time to move on, Cody Kessler. See ya later, Nelson Agholor.

Applejack
12-17-2014, 01:31 PM

Nelson is a goner - first rounder for sure (just like K. Strong!). I agree that Kessler has little to prove at the college level after keeping USC competitive against Utah on the road.

Applejack
12-17-2014, 01:44 PM

Also, don't forget Buck Allen!

Applejack
12-17-2014, 01:47 PM
If any of you non-Ute Pac-12er players reading this website need more incentive to leave, look no further than Brett Hundley who tumbled out of the first round by sticking around for an 8-4 season.

Also, Brett HUndley, you should go pro!~

Diehard Ute
12-17-2014, 02:50 PM
If any of you non-Ute Pac-12er players reading this website need more incentive to leave, look no further than Brett Hundley who tumbled out of the first round by sticking around for an 8-4 season.

Also, Brett HUndley, you should go pro!~

Mora has already said he expects Brett to declare for the draft

U-Ute
12-17-2014, 03:58 PM
I wouldn't mind if Royce Freeman left too. He looks too good to stick around.

UBlender
12-17-2014, 04:52 PM
I wouldn't mind if Royce Freeman left too. He looks too good to stick around.

You can't enter the NFL draft until you're three years removed from high school.

U-Ute
12-17-2014, 07:52 PM
You can't enter the NFL draft until you're three years removed from high school.

I think we can fake something.

Applejack
01-15-2015, 09:18 AM
The current list of players (http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/01/sec_leads_nation_with_21_under.html) declaring early for the NFL draft.

Our opponents:

USCNelson Agholor, wide receiver
Javorius Buck Allen, running back
George Farmer, wide receiver
Leonard Williams, defensive lineman
Oregon
Arik Armstead, defensive lineman
Marcus Mariota, quarterback
UCLA
Brett Hundley, quarterback
Ellis McCarthy, defensive lineman
Washington
Marcus Peters, cornerback
Shaq Thompson, linebacker

Michigan
Devin Funchess, wide receiver/tight end

California
Chris Harper, wide receiver

Arizona State
Jaelen Strong, wide receiver

sancho
01-15-2015, 12:33 PM
The current list of players (http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/01/sec_leads_nation_with_21_under.html) declaring early for the NFL draft.

Apparently Hogan of Stanford is trying to decide. This is the one player that I think we prefer stays. He's been keeping our QBs off the "worst in conference" list for the past two years.

Applejack
01-15-2015, 12:59 PM
Apparently Hogan of Stanford is trying to decide. This is the one player that I think we prefer stays. He's been keeping our QBs off the "worst in conference" list for the past two years.

Tough one. We have a two year break from Stanford, so we actually should be rooting for them to be good and tear up our southern neighbors. Sorry to break this news to you, sancho.

sancho
01-15-2015, 01:16 PM
Tough one. We have a two year break from Stanford, so we actually should be rooting for them to be good and tear up our southern neighbors. Sorry to break this news to you, sancho.

Set aside for a moment all the good reasons I have given you to root against Stanford. The Cards are still gunning for every decent recruit in the state of Utah. They keep that LDS DC around for this reason, and they just about stole the East High kid from us until they were done in by their own pride.

But I am running out of Pac-12 teams to root for. I guess UW is the north team I want to see beating up on our south friends.

LA Ute
02-03-2015, 06:09 PM
Looks like Mike Young is about to become an SEC president.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattlepolitics/2015/02/03/uws-michael-young-is-sole-finalist-to-be-texas-a-m-president/

DrumNFeather
02-09-2015, 02:32 PM
EWU QB Vernon Adams to transfer to Oregon: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12301149/fcs-all-american-vernon-adams-transfer-oregon-ducks

Don't worry guys, in three years at EWU, he's only thrown for 10,000 yards with 110 TDs and 31 INTs.

Dwight Schr-Ute
02-09-2015, 03:14 PM
EWU QB Vernon Adams to transfer to Oregon: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12301149/fcs-all-american-vernon-adams-transfer-oregon-ducks

Don't worry guys, in three years at EWU, he's only thrown for 10,000 yards with 110 TDs and 31 INTs.

Yep. My coworker has been pretty excited about this for the last week or so. I told him, "Lucky for him, he won't have to face the Utah defense until the conference championship game."

Utah
02-09-2015, 03:46 PM
Yep. My coworker has been pretty excited about this for the last week or so. I told him, "Lucky for him, he won't have to face the Utah defense until the conference championship game."

He won't even get that.

Utah vs Stanford for PAC-12 title

DrumNFeather
02-09-2015, 03:59 PM
Aren't we @Oregon in our Pac 12 opener?

U-Ute
02-09-2015, 04:25 PM

Yup. September 26 I think.

Trying to scrape together the $$$ for a roadie.

Dwight Schr-Ute
02-09-2015, 08:40 PM

Yup. September 26 I think.

Trying to scrape together the $$$ for a roadie.

Doh! Not sure how I missed that. (Aside from being a big dummy, of course.)

DrumNFeather
07-09-2015, 01:10 PM

Well here's a development...Adams didn't graduate this spring. Transfer in doubt.

sancho
07-09-2015, 01:18 PM
Well here's a development...Adams didn't graduate this spring. Transfer in doubt.

I wish it were true. They are saying that he is taking a summer course in order to graduate. It was apparently always part of the plan.

Dwight Schr-Ute
07-09-2015, 03:33 PM

Weird. My Oregon coworker just mentioned yesterday that Adams was on campus. Apparently not officially as he had inferred.

U-Ute
07-30-2015, 08:48 AM
Mike Leach wants a 64-team playoff. http://es.pn/1U7ohiI
(http://t.co/qhKQlYz5zG)

Of course he does. How else does Wazzu get in?

U-Ute
08-04-2015, 02:41 PM
Ok. I gotta admit to some coveting with this shot...

http://www.goducks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=500&ATCLID=210249890

That's pretty sweet looking.

U-Ute
08-09-2015, 06:33 PM
BREAKING: Oregon running back Thomas Tyner out for season following shoulder surgery

http://www.csnnw.com/ducks/breaking-oregon-running-back-thomas-tyner-out-season-following-shoulder-surgery

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-09-2015, 07:15 PM
BREAKING: Oregon running back Thomas Tyner out for season following shoulder surgery

http://www.csnnw.com/ducks/breaking-oregon-running-back-thomas-tyner-out-season-following-shoulder-surgery

I like our chances against Freeman more than Tyner. Not like they don't have 3 more 4* guys waiting to step in.

sancho
08-09-2015, 07:22 PM
I like our chances against Freeman more than Tyner. Not like they don't have 3 more 4* guys waiting to step in.

Really? Freeman looks great to me.

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-09-2015, 07:58 PM
Really? Freeman looks great to me.

My comment wasn't so much based on talent, but more on style. Freeman is a solid power back where opposed to Oregon's typical slight and shift backs. I like our defense better against the straight ahead guy than the around the edges guy.

sancho
08-09-2015, 08:07 PM
My comment wasn't so much based on talent, but more on style. Freeman is a solid power back where opposed to Oregon's typical slight and shift backs. I like our defense better against the straight ahead guy than the around the edges guy.

Yeah, but they have a million more run-around-the-edges-guys. There's only one Royce Freeman, and he's gonna set it all up for Oregon.

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-10-2015, 06:02 PM
Eastern Washington QB Vernon Adams takes his final test on Thursday to see if he can play for the Ducks this season. I bet that's one nervous kid. And fan base.

DrumNFeather
08-10-2015, 08:03 PM
Arizona's starting Center is out for the year. He started the fiesta bowl last year and was projected as the starter this year.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

DrumNFeather
08-13-2015, 08:27 AM
Per Bruce Feldman, today is the day that we find out if Vernon Adams will play at Oregon. :snack:

Diehard Ute
08-14-2015, 08:44 AM
Per Bruin Report Snoop Dogg's kid had failed to report for camp at UCLA and has quit the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hot Lunch
08-14-2015, 09:20 AM
Per Bruin Report Snoop Dogg's kid had failed to report for camp at UCLA and has quit the team.

Wow, all that hype and ESPN recruiting special and he doesn't even show up.

Solon
08-14-2015, 09:33 AM
Eastern Washington QB Vernon Adams takes his final test on Thursday to see if he can play for the Ducks this season. I bet that's one nervous kid. And fan base.
Eh. Eastern Eashington isn't exactly Harvard.
good for the kid. Go make the Big Sky proud!

Diehard Ute
08-14-2015, 09:38 AM
Wow, all that hype and ESPN recruiting special and he doesn't even show up.

Their full report indicates he's quitting football all together.

He participated in their summer session and is enrolled. Guess Snoop was the one who always pushed him to play ball and the speculation is he's done playing for his dad.

Hot Lunch
08-14-2015, 09:48 AM

He participated in their summer session and is enrolled. Guess Snoop was the one who always pushed him to play ball and the speculation is he's done playing for his dad.

Just found the article. At the end of the day, if you don't have the love for the game, beyond high school is very difficult to play. It just takes too much dedication.

Diehard Ute
08-14-2015, 09:53 AM
Just found the article. At the end of the day, if you don't have the love for the game, beyond high school is very difficult to play. It just takes too much dedication.

UCLA has since released a statement saying Mora was informed by Broadus he wants to follow his passion for film with his filmmaking company.

As you say I'd rather see someone say this isn't for me than fake it.

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-14-2015, 03:12 PM

I hope this means that they plan on renewing the TV show with him and his dad!

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-14-2015, 03:19 PM
Eh. Eastern Eashington isn't exactly Harvard.
good for the kid. Go make the Big Sky proud!

Officially added to the Oregon roster yesterday.

SoCalPat
08-23-2015, 12:35 PM
Sark gets blasted at alumni function, gets chewed out by Pat Haden. Hilarious.

http://deadspin.com/steve-sarkisian-apologizes-for-getting-liquored-up-and-1725988506

If I compiled rankings of the Pac-12 Coaches I'd be Most Embarrassed to Have Coaching My Team, it's tough to say whether Sark or Jim Mora would be No. 1. But there's no doubt they're in the Top 2. Pretty wide gap from there to the rest of the league.

sancho
08-23-2015, 03:10 PM

http://deadspin.com/steve-sarkisian-apologizes-for-getting-liquored-up-and-1725988506

If I compiled rankings of the Pac-12 Coaches I'd be Most Embarrassed to Have Coaching My Team, it's tough to say whether Sark or Jim Mora would be No. 1. But there's no doubt they're in the Top 2. Pretty wide gap from there to the rest of the league.

Here it is:

1. Leach
2. Sark
3. Mora
4. Graham
5. Anderson
6-12. Everyone else

Pressure's on for Sark. USC is back to full strength, full of big time recruits. Anything less than 9-4 lands Sark square on the hot seat.

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-23-2015, 04:41 PM
And here I thought that Whit kept a tight practice.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/22/oregon-called-the-cops-on-pac-12-network-camera-crew/related/

DrumNFeather
08-23-2015, 05:10 PM
Why Mora? I always kind of liked him.

LA Ute
08-23-2015, 11:19 PM
Whoops. Sarkisian's drunken rant at a booster event gets him in hot water.

http://www.abc15.com/sports/sports-blogs-local/usc-coach-steve-sarkisian-insults-arizona-state-other-schools-in-apparent-drunen-rant

#1 Utefan
08-24-2015, 06:15 AM

http://www.abc15.com/sports/sports-blogs-local/usc-coach-steve-sarkisian-insults-arizona-state-other-schools-in-apparent-drunen-rant

Sounds like the guy is in a downward spiral. Those excusing this away as poor judgement or isolated incident, I'm not sure I agree. You just don't make blunders like this when you are a HC at a major university and charged with setting an example and leading hundreds of young men. The fact is was a major university and booster event makes it even worse.

I don't pretend to know Sark but I think this is a big red flag and an indication he is turning to the bottle to deal with stress and problems.

chrisrenrut
08-24-2015, 07:35 AM

Wow, twice in one day? You think he would have learned his lesson after the incident Pat linked above ;)

SoCalPat
08-24-2015, 10:30 AM
Why Mora? I always kind of liked him.

Mora has kicked his own UCLA sports information people out of practice and was a total asshat to Bill Snyder after last year's Alamo Bowl. I don't expect Mora to be buddy buddy with the media, but he can't even be civil with them most of the time. Mark Helfrich at Oregon is a fast-climber, too, what with the police (?!?!?!?!?!) being called to get Pac-12 Network media people away from practice.

Leach is awesome. Stood up to a spoiled parent in Craig James and says whatever is on his mind without being inflammatory. If someone can point out a moment that contradicts this, I'd like to know (or be reminded) about it.

Scratch
08-24-2015, 10:55 AM
It's too bad Sark is now somewhere that won't just look the other way on his excessive drinking like when he was in college.

LA Ute
08-24-2015, 11:06 AM
It's too bad Sark is now somewhere that won't just look the other way on his excessive drinking like when he was in college.

:rofl:

mpfunk
08-24-2015, 07:42 PM

He got drunk taking shots of Fireball, easily the most embarrassing.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Ma'ake
08-24-2015, 10:18 PM
Bill Plaschke wrote a piece suggesting this wasn't an isolated incident in Sarkesian's past, just the highest profile:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/la-sp-0824-sarkisian-usc-plaschke-20150824-column.html

Might have to find a cheap flight to LA.

Conventional wisdom says USC will be primed for our game in the Coliseum, and they're always talented, but conventions wisdom also doesn't have a head coach at one of college football's more prestigious universities giving that "performance" before well healed boosters.

Devildog
08-24-2015, 10:24 PM
If the Trojans are good, nobody remembers this. If they lose, nobody will forget about it.

sancho
08-24-2015, 10:26 PM
If the Trojans are good, nobody remembers this. If they lose, nobody will forget about it.

Agreed, and well said.

execUTEioner
08-25-2015, 11:31 AM
USC’s Sarkisian to enter treatment; mixed alcohol with medicine (http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20150825/uscs-sarkisian-to-enter-treatment-mixed-alcohol-with-medicine)
So does this mean Sark has a medical cannabis card?

U-Ute
08-25-2015, 01:38 PM
USC’s Sarkisian to enter treatment; mixed alcohol with medicine (http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20150825/uscs-sarkisian-to-enter-treatment-mixed-alcohol-with-medicine)
So does this mean Sark has a medical cannabis card?

Maybe he hasn't kicked a habit he picked up during his time in Provo.

DrumNFeather
08-28-2015, 04:13 PM
Oregon names Vernon Adams its starting QB. In other news, water is wet.

DrumNFeather
08-31-2015, 02:46 PM
UCLA CB Ishmael Adams arrested on robbery charges. Bail set at $100k.

Damage U
08-31-2015, 10:34 PM
I believe it's been reduced down to $50k. I guess when Satan is attacking you the Justice System gives you a break. https://twitter.com/ishadams/status/636276837706919936

I hope this is OK with board admin and fellow posters, If not, feel free to delete this.
There are still a few spots open for the pac12board pick'em. If you're interested, you can also get the opinions of other PAC12 fans. Kinda broaden your knowledge of other PAC fans so to speak. http://www.pac12board.com/

Redbird
09-06-2015, 10:24 AM
P12 power rankings after week 1:

1. Oregon: Vernon Adams puts up good numbers against his former FCS program. 42 points allowed, though?
2. UCLA: True freshman Rosen looks confident against UVA.
3. Arizona: Some very nervous moments for the Cats, but they pull out the win, and Scooby Wright is expected back after a month.
4. USC: A very easy home win over Arky St.
5. Utah: Not perfect, but they looked comfortable against a much-hyped Michigan team.
6. ASU: No shame in losing to TAMU 95 miles from the Aggie campus, but they gave up too many big plays.
7. Oregon St: Andersen's debut wasn't impressive, but compared to some of their P12N foes, they aren't complaining.
8. Cal: 35 first-quarter points, even against Grambling, is impressive.
9. Stanford: It's very difficult to travel across two time zones and play in the early games, but there's no excuse for how poor David Shaw's team played.
10. Washington: Had a chance to force OT at Boise, but outgained almost 2-1 and only produced 6 points offensively.
11. Colorado: 23/40 for 158 yards and 1 INT from your 3rd-year QB against a poor G5 team is a bad omen for CU's season.
12. Wazzou: oh boy.

Week 2 games to watch:
the undercard has promise, with Utah hosting USU and Oregon St going to Michigan. The eyes of the nation, however, will be in East Lansing, as the Ducks take on the Spartans.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-06-2015, 12:31 PM

1. Oregon: Vernon Adams puts up good numbers against his former FCS program. 42 points allowed, though?
3. Arizona: Some very nervous moments for the Cats, but they pull out the win, and Scooby Wright is expected back after a month.
5. Utah: Not perfect, but they looked comfortable against a much-hyped Michigan team.
6. ASU: No shame in losing to TAMU 95 miles from the Aggie campus, but they gave up too many big plays.
7. Oregon St: Andersen's debut wasn't impressive, but compared to some of their P12N foes, they aren't complaining.
9. Stanford: It's very difficult to travel across two time zones and play in the early games, but there's no excuse for how poor David Shaw's team played.
10. Washington: Had a chance to force OT at Boise, but outgained almost 2-1 and only produced 6 points offensively.
11. Colorado: 23/40 for 158 yards and 1 INT from your 3rd-year QB against a poor G5 team is a bad omen for CU's season.

Week 2 games to watch:
the undercard has promise, with Utah hosting USU and Oregon St going to Michigan. The eyes of the nation, however, will be in East Lansing, as the Ducks take on the Spartans.

I assume that these are you rankings, right? Or is this something national that you can link to?

Redbird
09-06-2015, 12:38 PM
I assume that these are you rankings, right? Or is this something national that you can link to?

Subjective.

NorthwestUteFan
09-06-2015, 04:23 PM
Hoo boy. The WSU game perhaps shows just how good Connor Halliday was and how much they will miss him this year.

Win or lose I want to put 50+ points on Oregon this year. Whatever Oregon had to do to convince EWU to allow Vernon Adams to take his Final Exam three times until he passed will be worth it in the end. He is a tremendous player.

Oregon State had a weak start but their qb looks like a younger, pre-injury Chuckie Keaton (faster/quicker) That could make our game a bit more interesting.

Washington will get their stuff together. They will get to 5+ wins this year based on talent alone. I watched the game with die-hard Boise State fans and they seemed to believe that UW is tying Chris Petersen's hands somehow, I think he is still out of his range a bit but that will come. He Mike Riley-ed the end of that game on Fri.

Cal will be fun. I hope we can keep up. I think we can, and want Tom Hackett to see the field only once in the game.

UCLA will be a big challenge. Good thing that game is at home.

I didn't watch the USC game, but I suspect they will be improved this year. Always a dangerous team to play.

Copper gonna copper. I wonder how long Mike McIntyre will last. If they don't steamroll CSU and UMass in the next two games I wonder if he will start hearing heavy footsteps in the hall coming his way...

Arizona without Scooby would be doable.

ATM looked solid, and I want with every fiber of my being to beat ASU this year. I suspect they will be better than they looked vs the Aggies.

Redbird
09-06-2015, 08:05 PM
It happens. A team loses to an FCS team, the whole world thinks they will be awful, and they end up being alright. I think WSU will be about as good as they were last year.

Outside of maybe 2007 Michigan, who turned out to be okay, decent teams do not lose to FCS teams.

Wazzou is at Rutgers this week. They also have Wyoming and Colorado at home. They would need to upset someone along the way to match their 3 wins from last year.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-06-2015, 10:53 PM
UCLA loses star DE Vanderdoes for the season.

He didn't want to give BYU the satisfaction.

LA Ute
09-16-2015, 04:43 PM
This is about our conference mate UCLA, not BYU. It is from a Bruin board and I imagine it will get some Cougar fans all lathered up. It's an impressively comprehensive collection.

BYU: The Dirtiest Team In College Football (http://gojoebruin.com/2015/09/15/byu-the-dirtiest-team-in-college-football/)

Damage U
09-16-2015, 05:06 PM
I was just listening to the Petros and Money show and they have a radio spot for the Bruins game and is being billed as the "Cover Your Testicles" game.

LA Ute
09-16-2015, 05:19 PM
I was just listening to the Petros and Money show and they have a radio spot for the Bruins game and is being billed as the "Cover Your Testicles" game.

I wonder if any of this wonderful publicity is making its way inside the front door here?

NorthwestUteFan
09-16-2015, 05:23 PM
They will get around to it eventually, just like they finally did with Julie Rowe and the Mormon apocalyptic 'Preppers' movement.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-16-2015, 05:33 PM
The Ducks (1-1) and Utes will play their Pac-12 Conference opener in one of three television windows: 5:22 p.m. PT on ABC, 5:45 p.m. on FOX or 7:30 p.m. on ESPN. The respective networks will announce which games have been chosen for each slot after the weekend, UO senior associate athletic director Craig Pintens said.

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2015/09/ducks_closer_to_learning_utah.html#incart_river

Adams has been playing with a broken finger in his throwing hand. I doubt they play him much this weekend against Georgia State. I didn't see any of the Michigan State-Oregon game but I saw something on Twitter where he's currently graded as the #12 QB in the Pac. So there's that.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-16-2015, 05:34 PM
They will get around to it eventually, just like they finally did with Julie Rowe and the Mormon apocalyptic 'Preppers' movement.

Doh.

Redbird
09-16-2015, 05:35 PM

Week 2 games to watch:

Subjective power rankings after week 2.
1. UCLA: Crushed UNLV in Vegas. Josh Rosen continues to look impressive. They have a big opportunity this week against BYU.
2. USC: Did what they needed to do against an inferior opponent. They are double-digit favorites over Stanford, a team they've beaten two years in a row after losing 4 in a row.
3. Oregon: Hard to get too down on a team that loses at Michigan St, but they just don't have the same speed and tenacity of previous Oregon teams. They can right some wrongs this week at home against Georgia St.
4. Arizona: won comfortably in Reno, and they get to host FCS opponent NAU this week.
5. Utah: Nothing pretty about their victory against USU, but Kendall Thompson will likely lead them on the road this week against Fresno.
6. ASU: Pulled away in the 4th quarter against FCS competition. They host UNM this week.
7. Cal: Down 7-0 to SDSU after the first quarter, they scored 35 unanswered points. They are road favorites at Texas this week in a statement game for Sonny Dykes.
8. Stanford: A convincing win at home against UCF, but a stiff test at the Coliseum this week.
9. Washington: Didn't break a sweat after beating FCS Sacramento St. They get the punchless Aggies at home.
10. Oregon St: OSU look overmatched in every aspect at Michigan. They face a much easier test against SJSU.
11. Wazzou: a big comeback win at Rutgers. They have a chance to be above .500 at home to Wyoming.
12. Colorado: they follow up a big win against UMass with the Rocky Mountain Showdown in Denver.

Viking
09-16-2015, 07:55 PM
This is about our conference mate UCLA, not BYU. It is from a Bruin board and I imagine it will get some Cougar fans all lathered up. It's an impressively comprehensive collection.

BYU: The Dirtiest Team In College Football (http://gojoebruin.com/2015/09/15/byu-the-dirtiest-team-in-college-football/)

None of us have lathered up, I suspect. Well, maybe CJ, but I digress.

How about JoeBruin (what?) actually do some quantitative analysis about dirty play? Such analysis should focus on penalties attributed to "dirty play", namely personal fouls and unsportsmanlike conduct penalties. So, how do the data read (yes, I know this is only through 2012)?

Utes, you have lots of 'splainin' to do

http://ak-hdl.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/webdr01/2013/9/17/3/enhanced-buzz-14934-1379403518-11.jpg

Hey, Joe, why are you ahead of, gasp, Utah?

LA Ute
09-16-2015, 08:01 PM

How about JoeBruin (what?) actually do some quantitative analysis about dirty play? Such analysis should focus on penalties attributed to "dirty play", namely personal fouls and unsportsmanlike conduct penalties. So, how do the data read (yes, I know this is only through 2012)?

http://ak-hdl.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/webdr01/2013/9/17/3/enhanced-buzz-14934-1379403518-11.jpg

BYU just does it in a more spectacular fashion.

Viking
09-16-2015, 08:08 PM
BYU just does it in a more spectacular fashion.

Don't penalize us for having style.

Redbird
09-16-2015, 08:28 PM
http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2015/09/ducks_closer_to_learning_utah.html#incart_river

Adams has been playing with a broken finger in his throwing hand. I doubt they play him much this weekend against Georgia State. I didn't see any of the Michigan State-Oregon game but I saw something on Twitter where he's currently graded as the #12 QB in the Pac. So there's that.

What is that grade based on? I highly doubt he's graded worse than Liufau and Collins. I don't know that Hogan or Bercovici have been much to speak of either.

UBlender
09-16-2015, 09:42 PM

I don't know that the correlation between flags for personal fouls and unsportsmanlike conduct is as strong as you would like. On the one hand, you can have a penalty for an inadvertent face mask or late hit where a player was trying to make a legitimate football play but erred. These would be considered "dirty" according to that line of thinking, but an alligator roll or diving at the knees of a player when the ball has already fallen incomplete are not "dirty" because the ref missed the call.

UBlender
09-16-2015, 09:43 PM
1. UCLA: Crushed UNLV in Vegas. Josh Rosen continues to look impressive. They have a big opportunity this week against BYU.
2. USC: Did what they needed to do against an inferior opponent. They are double-digit favorites over Stanford, a team they've beaten two years in a row after losing 4 in a row.
3. Oregon: Hard to get too down on a team that loses at Michigan St, but they just don't have the same speed and tenacity of previous Oregon teams. They can right some wrongs this week at home against Georgia St.
4. Arizona: won comfortably in Reno, and they get to host FCS opponent NAU this week.
5. Utah: Nothing pretty about their victory against USU, but Kendall Thompson will likely lead them on the road this week against Fresno.
6. ASU: Pulled away in the 4th quarter against FCS competition. They host UNM this week.
7. Cal: Down 7-0 to SDSU after the first quarter, they scored 35 unanswered points. They are road favorites at Texas this week in a statement game for Sonny Dykes.
8. Stanford: A convincing win at home against UCF, but a stiff test at the Coliseum this week.
9. Washington: Didn't break a sweat after beating FCS Sacramento St. They get the punchless Aggies at home.
10. Oregon St: OSU look overmatched in every aspect at Michigan. They face a much easier test against SJSU.
11. Wazzou: a big comeback win at Rutgers. They have a chance to be above .500 at home to Wyoming.
12. Colorado: they follow up a big win against UMass with the Rocky Mountain Showdown in Denver.

Why aren't BYU and USU in this ranking? I'm so confused.

Brian
09-16-2015, 10:29 PM
I wonder if any of this wonderful publicity is making its way inside the front door here?

Given the intense PR-ness, I'm assuming they are well aware.
The last second finishes and this are certainly giving them clicks of many flavors.

Then again, maybe they're encouraging it as a way to get back at them damn Missourians.

Brian
09-16-2015, 10:32 PM

Who's getting all the press?
[HINT] Nobody on that list.

utefan
09-17-2015, 07:19 AM

Unsportsmanlike Conduct? Seriously? So celebrating after a big play, or taunting a player. That's the same as an alligator roll, low hit from behind after a dead play, or a punch to the head or groin?

Pudge's Pole
09-17-2015, 08:41 AM
I was about fifteen yards from the Preator hit on Sutton at Nebraska. While I don't think it was intentionally dirty, it was exceptionally stupid, and I'd be pissed if I were a Nebraska fan (and they were!). My take is that he had no idea where the ball was. All he knew was that he was beat. That play should have been flagged. No doubt about it. I'll note that Preator has not played much since that play.

I don't have a problem with Bronson's alligator roll. Every college football player practices that move to bring down an opponent. What exactly did you want him to do?

I won't defend or condone the nutpunch, even if it is common when there's a scrum for a loose ball.

I do find it humorous that I hear more chatter from Utes about BYU's dirty play than your big matchup against MWC foe Fresno State. Since you guys chose a Fresno game over a BYU game, our play has zero impact on your season.

U-Ute
09-17-2015, 08:46 AM
Since you guys chose a Fresno game over a BYU game, our play has zero impact on your season.

This is a mischaracterization. We chose Michigan over BYU. We replaced Idaho State with Fresno State.

Pudge's Pole
09-17-2015, 08:46 AM
This is a mischaracterization. We chose Michigan over BYU. We replaced Idaho State with Fresno State.

*wink, wink*

U-Ute
09-17-2015, 08:50 AM
*wink, wink*

I'm not sure I understand this response. Are you saying I'm wrong?

Pudge's Pole
09-17-2015, 08:50 AM
Is the red sox bandwagon still a thing?

The alligator rolls are weird. They aren't hurting people, so they don't bug me. But they're weird, man. It's not a natural motion at all, and it's not a proper tackling move. That's why it stands out and gets sent around - because you just don't see it every day.

BYU's play always impacts Utah, and vice versa. We compete for the same recruits every year. Plus, if Utah can manage 6 wins, we are a near lock to meet in the Vegas Bowl.

I grew up in New England, so I don't have my finger on the pulse of Utah MLB bandwagon.

How's that Fresno defense looking?

Pudge's Pole
09-17-2015, 08:56 AM
I'm not sure I understand this response. Are you saying I'm wrong?
No, you're totally right. *wink*

U-Ute
09-17-2015, 09:38 AM
No, you're totally right. *wink*

The *wink* obviously implies sarcasm about your statement.

I was giving BYU credit in comparing them to Michigan. You seem to disagree with the implication being we wanted to step down our competition level. With that in mind, which powerhouse did we decide not to play in order to step down to Michigan if it wasn't BYU?

Applejack
09-17-2015, 10:29 AM
Edit: someone ought to move these last few over to the BYU thread. Containment, as senioritis said.

This is all LAUTe's fault! Trying to act like this is about the Bruins? For shame.

Pudge's Pole
09-17-2015, 12:30 PM
Oh, I can assure you it's pretty bad. And they all claim to have grown up in New England. *wink*

Good thing I don't live in Utah.

LA Ute
09-17-2015, 12:47 PM
This is all LAUTe's fault! Trying to act like this is about the Bruins? For shame.

I put it here because this is a thread about our conference rivals. UCLA is in our conference and has a high-profile game this Saturday against BYU. So I think I am well within accepted rules. If you want relief, you're going to have to go to a court of equity.

Hey, Pudge, welcome to our board. I'll have you know that I grew up in Salt Lake City and have been a Red Sox fan since 1967. No bandwagon for me. It is too bad that they are so terrible this year. I am taking solace from my Dodgers' fine season, but it's early. There is still time for them to choke.

Scratch
09-17-2015, 03:40 PM
Hey, Pudge, welcome to our board. I'll have you know that I grew up in Salt Lake City and have been a Red Sox fan since 1967. No bandwagon for me.

So you became a fan the year Yaz won the triple crown? sounds like a bandwagoner to me.

LA Ute
09-17-2015, 04:25 PM
So you became a fan the year Yaz won the triple crown? sounds like a bandwagoner to me.

Yep, I was in 7th grade. But I've remained a Red Sox fan through thick and thin every since. (There was a lot more thin than thick.) These guys who jumped on in 2004 are not real Red Sox fans.

Redbird
09-17-2015, 04:43 PM
Yep, I was in 7th grade. But I've remained a Red Sox fan through thick and thin every since. (There was a lot more thin than thick.) These guys who jumped on in 2004 are not real Red Sox fans.

I took a lot of Red Sox smack for wearing Cardinals stuff in October of 2004 when I didn't know those same people even liked baseball a month before.

Diehard Ute
09-17-2015, 06:30 PM
I was raised a Red Sox fan. My dad started following the Sox in the late 50's and passed it on to me.

UTEopia
09-18-2015, 02:57 PM
Pick the winner and who beats the spread.

UNM @ ASU -26 - ASU wins but does not cover
UNLV @ Mich - 34.5 - Michigan wins but does not cover.
Ga. St. @ Oregon - 44.5 - Oregon wins and covers
USU @ UW - 7.5 - UW wins but does not cover
CSU vs CU - 3.5 - CSU wins
Cal - 7 @ Texas - Texas wins
SJSU @ Ore. St. -7 - Ore. St. wins and covers
Stanford @ USC - 9.5 - USC wins and covers
WYO @ WSU - 24.5 - WSU wins and covers
BYU @ UCLA -16 - UCLA wins but does not cover
Utah - 14 @ Fresno - Utah wins and covers.
N Ariz @ UA - no line

NorthwestUteFan
09-19-2015, 02:07 PM
Oregon is winning but they look horrible today. And the uniforms are hideous, of course. They very nearly gave up a safety on a kickoff. Very poor decisions right now.

Applejack
09-19-2015, 06:28 PM
Cal looking alright against Texas. Goff is for real, but their defense is spotty.

Look for usc over stanford. Big.

Applejack
09-19-2015, 06:57 PM
Dalton Schultz getting time on the field for stanford. Should be a Ute.

Applejack
09-19-2015, 07:11 PM
Not sure you are correct. The kid gets more catches a game than our tight ends and he'll get better.

Applejack
09-19-2015, 07:21 PM
There are two linebackers for usc that don't see the field. Silver linings.

Applejack
09-19-2015, 07:22 PM
Oregon state on upset alert. It's early, but the Gary Anderson era is off to a slow start.

Applejack
09-19-2015, 07:46 PM
Too many good games going on at once right now!

Twitter says Cooper Bateman is starting for Bama tonight.
6-6 so far. I guess he's not going to transfer.

DrumNFeather
09-19-2015, 08:30 PM
Buffs encroaching on our kick off time...

DrumNFeather
09-19-2015, 09:21 PM
USC falls to Stanford.

U-Ute
09-19-2015, 09:28 PM
Northwestern must be amazing.

NorthwestUteFan
09-19-2015, 10:00 PM
Not necessarily . But they are on the rise. Nice few wins for them.

U-Ute
09-19-2015, 10:43 PM
Sark #1 on conference hot seat list?

Sark has to wait until he gets home to drown his sorrows.

scottie
09-19-2015, 10:52 PM
Sark #1 on conference hot seat list?

Easily #1

U-Ute
09-19-2015, 11:31 PM
Mora remembers that he can run the football. Unfortunately he just put UCLA up by 1 with 3 minutes to go.

BYU has UCLA right where they want them.

mpfunk
09-19-2015, 11:41 PM
Just keep dreamin,' dreamin.'

U-Ute
09-20-2015, 12:07 AM
Hearty shout out to Stanford and UCLA. They really helped us.

LA Ute
09-20-2015, 12:26 AM
Mora remembers that he can run the football. Unfortunately he just put UCLA up by 1 with 3 minutes to go.

BYU has UCLA right where they want them.

The magic didn't happen. But the BYU fans are still projecting 11-1 and a Final Four slot.

Diehard Ute
09-20-2015, 04:03 AM
The loss today sealed BYU's Vegas bid. Now we have to do our part and get to bowl eligibility. I do still think we will play each other in December.

? They have an either or bid to Hawaii or Vegas this year.

U-Ute
09-20-2015, 09:23 AM
How does it work? I thought they were locked in?

That has changed the last two years.

Last year it was Miami Beach, this year Hawaii. They still have Vegas. I'm not sure who chooses first.

Redbird
09-20-2015, 10:18 AM

Helluva week for the conference.
1. UCLA: despite finishing -2 in turnovers and Rosen crashing to earth, the defense held when necessary and the ground game was massive.
2. Oregon: plenty of questions about the defense, and they'll be answered this week against Utah.
3. Arizona: they've put their week 1 yips behind them.
4. USC: Stanford continues to be a thorn in the side of the Trojans.
5. Utah: did what they had to do against Fresno.
6. Stanford: very impressive win on the road.
7. Cal: wild game in Austin. they managed to hold on at the end.
8. ASU: nothing to learn from a home win against the Lobos.
9. Washington: Jake Browning had a solid performance.
10. Colorado: a gutsy win over their in-state rival, and CU is primed to win 3 games in a row.
11. Oregon St: a big 3rd quarter against SJSU earned them the victory.
12. Wazzou: easy win against Wyoming.

conference play starts this week, and there are some doozies. USC/ASU and Utah/Oregon will be very good, but neither live up to the potential of UCLA at Arizona. Other P12N match-ups include favorites Cal and Stanford travelling to the Pacific Northwest to take on Washington and Oregon St, respectively.

U-Ute
09-20-2015, 11:08 AM
GameDay going to Tucson for the UCLA game next week.

Damage U
09-21-2015, 11:15 AM
Things may be starting to crack in the land of Troy.
TMZ reporting that two USC players had a little tussle after the loss to the Trees.

NorthwestUteFan
09-21-2015, 11:30 AM
Seven-win Sark strikes again. I hate to see it because I like him, but then again f*@# U$C.

LA Ute
09-21-2015, 11:56 AM
Seven-win Sark strikes again. I hate to see it because I like him, but then again f*@# U$C.

I have never understood that USC hire but I am happy they made it.

Sullyute
09-21-2015, 11:58 AM
I have never understood that USC hire but I am happy they made it.

The University of Washington probably is too. ;)

NorthwestUteFan
09-21-2015, 02:03 PM
The University of Washington probably is too. ;)

UW was on the edge of firing him before his last season. He was their MAFU. He rebuilt the team but couldn't take them any higher. They were OK with him leaving. (Not that ChrisPete is any better)

Old Standing ute
09-21-2015, 05:41 PM
Wash, AZ & Az St are all home dogs this week.

Cal by 1, USC by 4 & UCLA by 5----

hard to believe all the road teams win.

SoCalPat
09-22-2015, 11:12 AM
Helluva week for the conference.
1. UCLA: despite finishing -2 in turnovers and Rosen crashing to earth, the defense held when necessary and the ground game was massive.
2. Oregon: plenty of questions about the defense, and they'll be answered this week against Utah.
3. Arizona: they've put their week 1 yips behind them.
4. USC: Stanford continues to be a thorn in the side of the Trojans.
5. Utah: did what they had to do against Fresno.
6. Stanford: very impressive win on the road.
7. Cal: wild game in Austin. they managed to hold on at the end.
8. ASU: nothing to learn from a home win against the Lobos.
9. Washington: Jake Browning had a solid performance.
10. Colorado: a gutsy win over their in-state rival, and CU is primed to win 3 games in a row.
11. Oregon St: a big 3rd quarter against SJSU earned them the victory.
12. Wazzou: easy win against Wyoming.

conference play starts this week, and there are some doozies. USC/ASU and Utah/Oregon will be very good, but neither live up to the potential of UCLA at Arizona. Other P12N match-ups include favorites Cal and Stanford travelling to the Pacific Northwest to take on Washington and Oregon St, respectively.

No way Cal deserves to be this low. They're undefeated, so they should be ahead of USC and Stanford. Their win at Texas is more impressive than anything Utah has done, and they crushed the MWC team they played more convincingly than we beat USU. Honestly, you could make an argument that their resume lags only behind UCLA's.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-22-2015, 11:46 AM
Mora reinstates Ishmael Adams but also loses Moreau to a lisfranc. http://www.insidesocal.com/ucla/2015/09/22/ucla-reinstates-db-ishmael-adams-lose-cb-fabian-moreau/

LA Ute
09-22-2015, 11:58 AM
No way Cal deserves to be this low. They're undefeated, so they should be ahead of USC and Stanford. Their win at Texas is more impressive than anything Utah has done, and they crushed the MWC team they played more convincingly than we beat USU. Honestly, you could make an argument that their resume lags only behind UCLA's.

I wish we had a QB like Goff.

Applejack
09-22-2015, 12:19 PM
That's an insult to MAFU. UW is the easiest rebuild ever. The rebuild at Utah was a huge task that would have seemed impossible to many.

Truly! Never besmirch the good name of Saint Ronnie Mac ever again! By the way, in preparation for the game last week, I watched the youtube version of the 1999 Vegas Bowl featuring Fresno and Utah (lots of time on my hands). Classic McBride team. Future NFL rookie of the year Mike Anderson and RB, great D-line, Andre dyson at corner, and Steve Smith at WR. The team was stacked! But because we didn't field a QB that year, our O-line was middling, and we had a kicker named Cletus we lost some games that we had no business losing. MAFU!

Applejack
09-22-2015, 12:42 PM
I was there. Mike Anderson ran for 200+ yards, and they kept showing the beautiful new bride of the QB (was it Croshaw? I can't remember) on the jumbotron all game long.

"Worst-name-ever" TD Croshaw and Darnell Arcenaux (sic) shared the qb duties that year. 0 for the price of 2!

U-Ute
09-22-2015, 01:48 PM
"Worst-name-ever" TD Croshaw and Darnell Arcenaux (sic) shared the qb duties that year. 0 for the price of 2!

I remember when someone dubbed them Croshenaux.

DrumNFeather
09-23-2015, 10:11 AM
It appears the Miles Jack is now out for the season with an injury.

concerned
09-23-2015, 10:13 AM

I thought Croshenaux was the thing that Lord Voldemort was trying to get.

Applejack
09-23-2015, 10:30 AM
It appears the Miles Jack is now out for the season with an injury.

That's what happens when you intercept TheChosenOne.

Applejack
09-23-2015, 10:32 AM

No, they were distinguishable. Croshaw couldn't run to save his life, and he was a poor thrower; Arcenaux couldn't pass to save his life and he was a poor runner.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-24-2015, 12:39 PM
Some fun rumors floating around regarding Lane Kiffen this morning.

U-Ute
09-24-2015, 12:44 PM
Some fun rumors floating around regarding Lane Kiffen this morning.

Indeed.

http://www.utahby5.com/showthread.php?1822-2015-NCAA-Football&p=61191&viewfull=1#post61191

Redbird
09-26-2015, 11:01 PM
Week 4
1. Utah: emphatic, assertive, overwhelming. A signal to the rest of the conference, and to the nation.
2. UCLA: started fast on the road and cruised to a dominant win. They get the reeling Sun Devils next week.
3. USC: convincing road win.
4. Cal: maybe not the 4th-best team in the conference, but they should be ranked in the top 20 and 5-0 when they come to SLC in two weeks.
5. Stanford: comfortable win in Corvallis, and they host a banged-up Arizona team.
6. Oregon: this could be an 8-win team. They've got a lot of deficiencies.
7. Arizona: brutal home loss to UCLA on a big stage, and it doesn't get easier this week at Stanford.
8. ASU: two unimpressive wins and two deflating losses. They'll need a huge turnaround to win at UCLA next week.
9. Washington: tough loss at home to Cal.
10. Colorado: they host a vulnerable Oregon team this week. I expect them to cover the spread.
11. Oregon St: not the start Gary Andersen envisioned in Corvallis.
12. Wazzou: got the week off, and hope to play spoiler in Berkeley.

chrisrenrut
09-26-2015, 11:10 PM
Week 4
1. Utah: emphatic, assertive, overwhelming. A signal to the rest of the conference, and to the nation.
2. UCLA: started fast on the road and cruised to a dominant win. They get the reeling Sun Devils next week.
4. Cal: maybe not the 4th-best team in the conference, but they should be ranked in the top 20 and 5-0 when they come to SLC in two weeks.
5. Stanford: comfortable win in Corvallis, and they host a banged-up Arizona team.
7. Arizona: brutal home loss to UCLA on a big stage, and it doesn't get easier this week at Stanford.
8. ASU: two unimpressive wins and two deflating losses. They'll need a huge turnaround to win at UCLA next week.
10. Colorado: they host a vulnerable Oregon team this week. I expect them to cover the spread.

I would probably swap Stanford and Cal. Stanford has two league road wins, and their loss to Northwestern isn't looking so bad now. Their remaining road games are Colorado and WSU, and they have UCLA, Oregon, and Cal at home.

Redbird
09-27-2015, 08:47 AM
I would probably swap Stanford and Cal. Stanford has two league road wins, and their loss to Northwestern isn't looking so bad now. Their remaining road games are Colorado and WSU, and they have UCLA, Oregon, and Cal at home.

It's really, really tight. At this point you have to give the slight nod to the undefeated team, even though Stanford's best win is better than Cal's.

Ma'ake
09-27-2015, 09:02 AM
I haven't really watched the Arizona schools this year, but my gut impression has been for awhile that Todd Graham and Rich Rod, both, have a coaching style that's not conducive to sustained success. Intensity that wears you out, and I suspect even college kids will get to the point where it's "not today, coach. Leave it alone, today".

We owe both of those schools.

Damage U
09-28-2015, 09:35 PM
Here's this week's episode of Podcasts of Champions.

http://pac12podcast.com/?powerpress_pinw=103-podcast

They power rank the PAC and discuss this week's games.

Solon
09-28-2015, 10:32 PM
That's what happens when you intercept TheChosenOne.
I believe that it was Jack who notched a late pick vs Wilson in 2013, (wilson's 6th of the day), effectively ending the game.

Redbird
10-03-2015, 03:39 PM
Wazzou feeling frisky against Cal.

NorthwestUteFan
10-03-2015, 04:23 PM
WSU is working hard in this one. And frankly Luke Falk is looking as good as Goff today.

The drive after the fake punt-fumble-TD was an amazing recovery.

DrumNFeather
10-03-2015, 05:16 PM
Cal looking to hang on here.

NorthwestUteFan
10-03-2015, 05:59 PM
I am thrilled that WSU hung in there, and that the difference in the game was the fumble-td on that ill-advised fake punt, the miseed FG, and Falk taking about 6 sacks. I think Wilson has a field day next week.

Their WRs have hands the size of Andre the Giant and seem to catch everything thrown their way.

Thank goodness we have Tom Hackett.

LA Ute
10-03-2015, 08:59 PM
Wow -- UCLA has the ball with 4:30 to go and down by 6 -- a chance to go ahead with a TD. And they give up a SAFETY. Ballgame, barring a miracle.

NorthwestUteFan
10-03-2015, 09:00 PM
Good move, ans it was intentional. They need a TD anyway, and don't want to punt out of their own end zone.

LA Ute
10-03-2015, 09:10 PM
Good move, ans it was intentional. They need a TD anyway, and don't want to punt out of their own end zone.

I see. I was just watching ESPN's website and didn't know what had happened. Final: 38-23 ASU. Kind of a surprising result.

AnestheUte
10-03-2015, 10:45 PM
So if Colorado takes care of the Ducks, does that diminish our win last week? Or does the fact that we blew Oregon out of the water make up for them not being very good?

DrumNFeather
10-03-2015, 10:54 PM
So if Colorado takes care of the Ducks, does that diminish our win last week? Or does the fact that we blew Oregon out of the water make up for them not being very good?
Maybe a little, but it served its purpose by vaulting us up in the rankings and putting us in the national discussion. Now we have Gameday coming in for a top 20 showdown, then ASU who has more respect now. Bottom line is that if we take care of business, it shouldn't much matter how Oregon turns out.

U-Ute
10-04-2015, 03:09 PM
Right now the P12 is the only conference in FBS and FCS with all teams with a .500 or better overall record.

U-Ute
10-06-2015, 09:04 AM
The Onion on point, as usual.

University Of Oregon Debut Controversial Fly-Ridden Duck Flesh Uniforms

(http://www.theonion.com/article/university-of-oregon-debut-controversial-fly-ridde-30434)

Redbird
10-06-2015, 10:51 AM
Week 4

Week 5
1. Utah: the Oregon win means nothing if you don't win this week. CGD on campus against a ranked team should make RES a cauldron of noise and intensity.
2. USC: Sark goes against his former team at home on Thursday night.
3. Stanford: that Northwestern loss doesn't look so bad, and the Cardinal look like a 10-win team.
4. Cal: didn't make it easy on themselves against Wazzou, but got the job done. A huge opportunity for them in Salt Lake.
5. UCLA: a young, banged-up team took their lumps at home to Sparky. They'll cherish the bye week.
6. ASU: a season-saving win in Pasadena, and they get the hapless Buffs at home.
7. Oregon: a decent bounce-back W on the road in Boulder. Wazzou plays the Ducks tough.
8. Washington: they're lightly-regarded, but a win at USC would cause the nation to sit up and take notice.
9. Wazzou: played Cal very tough, and they have an opportunity to catch the Ducks sulking.
10. Arizona: a Top-25 team when healthy, but minus Solomon and Wright they're quite poor.
11. Oregon St: a long road ahead for Andersen, but this is a great time to catch the Wildcats.
12. Colorado: hanged tough with Oregon, but couldn't finish.

U-Ute
10-06-2015, 01:52 PM
SEC schools hoping to cash in on Utah's crushing defeat of Oregon by stealing their recruits.

http://www.oregonlive.com/recruiting/index.ssf/2015/10/sec_schools_to_oregon_ducks_co.html#incart_2box_

chrisrenrut
10-06-2015, 02:07 PM
Myles Jack withdraws from school at UCLA and has declared for the NFL draft next year.

mpfunk
10-06-2015, 02:24 PM
Myles Jack withdraws from school at UCLA and has declared for the NFL draft next year.

Without a doubt the smart decision to make.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
10-08-2015, 05:52 PM
Choosing to foot his own bill for rehab, lodgin, food, etc for the next 9 months? Some agent talked his way into a great loan to Jack.

Applejack
10-08-2015, 07:43 PM
Choosing to foot his own bill for rehab, lodgin, food, etc for the next 9 months? Some agent talked his way into a great loan to Jack.

No doubt. These kids get bad advice all the time, but someone should have said "hey, you can get ready for the pros AND get free food AND not go to class." Missed opportunity.

chrisrenrut
10-08-2015, 07:53 PM
No doubt. These kids get bad advice all the time, but someone should have said "hey, you can get ready for the pros AND get free food AND not go to class." Missed opportunity.

I read somewhere that he had purchased an insurance policy against injury at the beginning of the season. Not sure if that would be helping him financially or not.

DrumNFeather
10-08-2015, 08:17 PM
Pretty ugly game between USC and Washington here so far.

Devildog
10-08-2015, 08:58 PM
Pretty ugly game between USC and Washington here so far.

Yeah it is. USC doesn't look impressive here. They both look beatable.

Devildog
10-08-2015, 09:16 PM
Well, these are two of the best defenses in the conference, and we have them both on the road.

OK... I'm still not impressed.

SoCalPat
10-09-2015, 09:48 AM
The finish was an almost identical replay of our 2013 game against Arizona. That late in the game, one timeout left, down 4-7 points, you never settle for a FG. Never. And on 3rd and 6, you gotta know you're in four-down territory. You've been running the ball very well, so why call a pass play when so much can happen that makes 4th down more difficult? How does a QB as experienced as Kessler take a sack there? It's one thing to take it on fourth down, because there's little to no difference between a sack, incomplete pass or interception. But that play there shows to me he's regressed big time.

What do the numbers say?

With 3rd and 6 from the Washington 25, 4:23 left, USC had a 32 percent chance of winning.

With 4th and 9 from the Washington 28, 3:44 left, USC had a 22 percent chance of winning.

Let's assume the FG is good, Washington ball, 1st and 10 from its own 20. USC only had a 25 percent chance of winning. We can see here that kicking the FG borders on statistically insignificant. You're only increasing your chances of winning by 3 percent.

When the FG missed, Washington ball, 1st and 10 from its own 28, USC only had a 14 percent chance of winning.

Now, let's say USC goes for it on 4th down, and has 1st and 10 from the UW 19 with 3:30 left. It now has a 51 percent chance of winning.

4th and 9 is not the best situation to be in with regard to a must-convert situation, but you'll convert this play about 35 percent of the time (I used this study for 4th down conversion probability rates ... http://archive.advancedfootballanalytics.com/2009/09/4th-down-study-part-3.html ). That's a significant enough difference that going for it on 4th down is clearly the right call. Sark's bad decision to go for a FG was compounded by not running on 3rd and 6 and getting to 4th and makeable. Even a modest 2-yard run, leaving USC with 4th and 4 puts you in a spot where you'll convert almost 55 percent of the time.

Coaches do not spend nearly enough time thinking about these do-or-die situations. For the money they make, the personnel available at their disposal and for what's on the line, it's inexcusable.

chrisrenrut
10-09-2015, 04:42 PM
The finish was an almost identical replay of our 2013 game against Arizona. That late in the game, one timeout left, down 4-7 points, you never settle for a FG. Never. And on 3rd and 6, you gotta know you're in four-down territory. You've been running the ball very well, so why call a pass play when so much can happen that makes 4th down more difficult? How does a QB as experienced as Kessler take a sack there? It's one thing to take it on fourth down, because there's little to no difference between a sack, incomplete pass or interception. But that play there shows to me he's regressed big time.

What do the numbers say?

With 3rd and 6 from the Washington 25, 4:23 left, USC had a 32 percent chance of winning.

With 4th and 9 from the Washington 28, 3:44 left, USC had a 22 percent chance of winning.

Let's assume the FG is good, Washington ball, 1st and 10 from its own 20. USC only had a 25 percent chance of winning. We can see here that kicking the FG borders on statistically insignificant. You're only increasing your chances of winning by 3 percent.

When the FG missed, Washington ball, 1st and 10 from its own 28, USC only had a 14 percent chance of winning.

Now, let's say USC goes for it on 4th down, and has 1st and 10 from the UW 19 with 3:30 left. It now has a 51 percent chance of winning.

4th and 9 is not the best situation to be in with regard to a must-convert situation, but you'll convert this play about 35 percent of the time (I used this study for 4th down conversion probability rates ... http://archive.advancedfootballanalytics.com/2009/09/4th-down-study-part-3.html ). That's a significant enough difference that going for it on 4th down is clearly the right call. Sark's bad decision to go for a FG was compounded by not running on 3rd and 6 and getting to 4th and makeable. Even a modest 2-yard run, leaving USC with 4th and 4 puts you in a spot where you'll convert almost 55 percent of the time.

Coaches do not spend nearly enough time thinking about these do-or-die situations. For the money they make, the personnel available at their disposal and for what's on the line, it's inexcusable.

I'm guessing Sark didn't feel like normal odds or percentages applied to his offense last night. Dropped passes, and a shaky Kessler gave him less confidence making that 2 down territory at that point. But that is probably giving Sark too much benefit of the doubt, and doesn't explain his not choosing to attempt to run on 3rd down.

Rocker Ute
10-09-2015, 10:35 PM
The most important stat in that if you are preserving your job is screwing up like he did with a missed FG means all USC fans sit and question the decision making. Whereas had he gone for it on 4th down nobody would be saying, "He should have gone for a FG and tried to get the ball back and drive the field again."

I work with some USC alum (they flew down to the game) and they all want him gone.

Mormon Red Death
10-10-2015, 07:06 AM
I read somewhere that he had purchased an insurance policy against injury at the beginning of the season. Not sure if that would be helping him financially or not.
ever since maghee blew out his knees guys who are going to be top picks get subsidized insurance with the ncaa. Im sure he had this option

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

NorthwestUteFan
10-10-2015, 02:42 PM
RichRod is embarrassing a Kalani Sitake defense.

In other news, water is wet.

Diehard Ute
10-10-2015, 03:28 PM
RichRod is embarrassing a Kalani Sitake defense.

In other news, water is wet.

The iPhone autocorrects Kalani to Kalamazoo. It might be more fitting.

Oregon State looks awful.

NorthwestUteFan
10-10-2015, 03:33 PM
The iPhone autocorrects Kalani to Kalamazoo. It might be more fitting.

Oregon State looks awful.

Elon Musk is correct, Apple is made up of people who washed out at Tesla.

Oregon State has decent athletes. Seth Collins has a very high ceiling. But they are completely outclassed today.

Diehard Ute
10-10-2015, 03:35 PM
Elon Musk is correct, Apple is made up of people who washed out at Tesla.

Oregon State has decent athletes. Seth Collins has a very high ceiling. But they are completely outclassed today.

Poor fundamentals.

Tackling has been poor.

Collins inexperience shows. Locking on one receiver.

Arizona is already playing some of their backups.

Rocker Ute
10-10-2015, 04:05 PM
My brother who is tapped in pretty good with HS sports and somewhat by extension the local college teams never had a high opinion of Sitake. Not that he wasn't a good guy or that he was awful, he just used to always say he was basically a puppet of Whit's, and noted the drop off on defense from GA to KS.

When he left he reiterated that thinking and noted that he'd probably struggle as a DC without Whit behind him.

It's his first year at OSU and these aren't his guys so I'll give him a pass, but I'm not slightly surprised our D has maintained here.

I think this sort of thinking about KS might be true in the coaching community too because he seemed to have been overlooked for some HC positions last year that he probably should have picked up.

This all sounds 'neener-neener-ish' and I don't mean that. I still like Sitake and hope they do well against everyone but us.

And while I'm at it, I don't want GA to replace Whit.

NorthwestUteFan
10-10-2015, 04:11 PM
I am with you there. I appreciate Gary Andersen and know that he is a Utah man, but I don't after with the people who wanted him to replace Whitt this year.

NorthwestUteFan
10-10-2015, 04:14 PM
If Oregon keeps rushing only three against WSU they will get killed. Luke Falk will pick them apart all day long.

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-10-2015, 04:16 PM
Poor fundamentals.

Tackling has been poor.

Collins inexperience shows. Locking on one receiver.

Arizona is already playing some of their backups.

And Collins going out with a knee injury. If it's serious, the crappy season just completely submerged.

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-10-2015, 04:21 PM
And Collins going out with a knee injury. If it's serious, the crappy season just completely submerged.

Scratch that.

Diehard Ute
10-10-2015, 04:28 PM
Scratch that.

If I'm GA I don't put Collins back in this game. I don't see anything to gain. Guess he does.

NorthwestUteFan
10-10-2015, 04:35 PM
Diehard, did you live in the neighborhood below Highland at about 36th south? My SIL lived 3 houses down from Ty Corbin when he lived there.

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-10-2015, 04:36 PM
If I'm GA I don't put Collins back in this game. I don't see anything to gain. Guess he does.

No kidding. He's not running, but he's still been hit a couple times this second half.

Diehard Ute
10-10-2015, 04:39 PM
Diehard, did you live in the neighborhood below Highland at about 36th south? My SIL lived 3 houses down from Ty Corbin when he lived there.

Yup. We were the first house if you came in from Highland. Only lived there two years. HOA got weird and the subsidized housing behind us caused some issues (such as a knife being thrown at my dad once)

NorthwestUteFan
10-10-2015, 04:49 PM
My SIL lived around the corner, about 2nd house on the right. They were there between about '93-'96.

I like the black ribbon with and UCC on the field at Autzen. Classy move to support the community after a tragedy. They are also giving free tickets and swag to students and family from UCC.

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-10-2015, 05:07 PM
You guys are a wealth of classic Jazz tales. My only rubs are the time Mark Eaton played hoops in my driveway for a commercial or something. Then being the only patron probably in the history of the eating establishment known as Brown Bear's Burgers and Dogs. It wasn't great dining, but it was located next door to Movies 10, where I was gainfully employed during high school.

NorthwestUteFan
10-10-2015, 08:15 PM
Great come from behind, 2OT win by WSU.

Now lets put a beatdown on the Care Bears!

Ma'ake
10-11-2015, 10:31 AM
There's just not a lot of separation in the PAC. Wazzu played Cal tough in Berkeley, then beat Oregon, in Eugene, revealing Oregon as nowhere near what they were last year. Washington is tough. Oregon State is getting roughed up, but they'll be primed when they come to SLC.

UCLA and USC have issues, but are still very talented. USC's internal issues were revealed a little on Thursday, after Kessler threw his first pick, Sarkesian tried to get in his grille, and Kessler said "relax coach", and walked away, according to the sideline reporter.
They'll be playing for pride in 2 weeks when we visit the Coliseum, but Sarkesian is in serious trouble.

Neither Arizona school will be easy, and Colorado is still fighting. By ranking and record, we're the favorites, but we could easily just be in the middle of a pretty even PAC south, by December.

Diehard Ute
10-11-2015, 03:24 PM
Per multiple Twitter reports, Pat Haden sent Sark home today.

Team has been told Clay Helton is the 'interim' coach and Sark is on a 'leave of absence' at Haden's request.

Diehard Ute
10-11-2015, 03:27 PM
Further reports indicate Sark "showed up in no condition to work"

Hoping USC can get him some help. He obviously has some demons.

U-Ute
10-11-2015, 03:52 PM
CBS reporting Sarkisian taking an indefinite leave of absence.

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-11-2015, 03:57 PM
Tastes way too much like 2013 with the Utes rolling into the Colosseum in two weeks.

hostile
10-11-2015, 03:58 PM
CBS reporting Sarkisian taking an indefinite leave of absence.
Here's the ESPN article
http://espn.go.com/losangeles/college-football/story/_/id/13864229/usc-trojans-head-coach-steve-sarkisian-take-leave-absence

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-11-2015, 04:25 PM
Kinda wish this had happened last year when we were in recruiting battles with usc.

I wonder if there's any kids that look out way because of this.

utefan
10-11-2015, 04:35 PM
Kinda wish this had happened last year when we were in recruiting battles with usc.
I kinda wish it didn't happen for a couple more weeks..

LA Ute
10-11-2015, 05:11 PM
Tastes way too much like 2013 with the Utes rolling into the Colosseum in two weeks.

Yes! What is the deal wth USC/Haden fixing head coach issues just in time for the Trojans to re-group for a game against us??

U-Ute
10-11-2015, 05:33 PM
@InsideUSC: BREAKING: #USC players said they smelled alcohol on Steve Sarkisian's breath during team meeting this morning

Viking
10-11-2015, 07:04 PM
get better, steve.

the byu community is 100% behind you.

Redbird
10-11-2015, 07:56 PM
Week 5
1. Utah: the Oregon win means nothing if you don't win this week. CGD on campus against a ranked team should make RES a cauldron of noise and intensity.
2. USC: Sark goes against his former team at home on Thursday night.
3. Stanford: that Northwestern loss doesn't look so bad, and the Cardinal look like a 10-win team.
4. Cal: didn't make it easy on themselves against Wazzou, but got the job done. A huge opportunity for them in Salt Lake.
5. UCLA: a young, banged-up team took their lumps at home to Sparky. They'll cherish the bye week.
6. ASU: a season-saving win in Pasadena, and they get the hapless Buffs at home.
7. Oregon: a decent bounce-back W on the road in Boulder. Wazzou plays the Ducks tough.
8. Washington: they're lightly-regarded, but a win at USC would cause the nation to sit up and take notice.
9. Wazzou: played Cal very tough, and they have an opportunity to catch the Ducks sulking.
10. Arizona: a Top-25 team when healthy, but minus Solomon and Wright they're quite poor.
11. Oregon St: a long road ahead for Andersen, but this is a great time to catch the Wildcats.
12. Colorado: hanged tough with Oregon, but couldn't finish.

Week 6
1. Utah: defense is swarming, and the offense did just enough. ASU is a huge monkey on Utah's back, and they come to town.
2. Stanford: follow up their bye week with a massive Thursday night game against UCLA.
3. UCLA: also coming off of a bye week, they can get back on track in the P12 with a win in Palo Alto.
4. Cal: Plenty of opportunities, but hard to overcome 6 turnovers. They'll use the bye to get on track.
5. USC: 0-2 in the P12 at home, and now they're without their HC. Big rivalry game in South Bend.
6. ASU: comfortable victory against the Buffs, and they throw the P12 south into chaos with a win in SLC.
7. Washington: Big win for Petersen at USC. Beating Oregon for the first time in 12 years would make the season for the Husky fan base.
8. Wazzou: what a circuitous route to 3-2. They're almost certain to be 4-2 against the hapless Beavs.
9. Arizona: convincing victory at home, and they have an easy road trip to Boulder.
10. Oregon: yikes. Two ten-point leads blown, and it doesn't get easier this week in Seattle.
11. Colorado: still significantly behind the rest of the P12 south.
12. Oregon St: I don't see another win on the schedule. Andersen has a lot of work to do.

chrisrenrut
10-11-2015, 08:04 PM
Week 6
1. Utah: defense is swarming, and the offense did just enough. ASU is a huge monkey on Utah's back, and they come to town.
2. Stanford: follow up their bye week with a massive Thursday night game against UCLA.
3. UCLA: also coming off of a bye week, they can get back on track in the P12 with a win in Palo Alto.
4. Cal: Plenty of opportunities, but hard to overcome 6 turnovers. They'll use the bye to get on track.
5. USC: 0-2 in the P12 at home, and now they're without their HC. Big rivalry game in South Bend.
6. ASU: comfortable victory against the Buffs, and they throw the P12 south into chaos with a win in SLC.
7. Washington: Big win for Petersen at USC. Beating Oregon for the first time in 12 years would make the season for the Husky fan base.
8. Wazzou: what a circuitous route to 3-2. They're almost certain to be 4-2 against the hapless Beavs.
9. Arizona: convincing victory at home, and they have an easy road trip to Boulder.
10. Oregon: yikes. Two ten-point leads blown, and it doesn't get easier this week in Seattle.
11. Colorado: still significantly behind the rest of the P12 south.
12. Oregon St: I don't see another win on the schedule. Andersen has a lot of work to do.

IMHO, you have USC 2 spots too high.

NorthwestUteFan
10-11-2015, 08:06 PM

They will likely be in a state of great disarray, just in time to travel to South Bend to get their butts whipped.

Redbird
10-11-2015, 08:09 PM

it's tough, because USC has h2h against ASU, but UW has h2h against USC.

Top 3 are locked in, and the bottom 2 won't change. Those middle 7, though, there isn't much separation between 4 and 10.

Viking
10-11-2015, 08:26 PM
get better, steve.

the byu community is 100% behind you.

merged into an existing thread?? come on...

LA Ute
10-11-2015, 09:44 PM
get better, steve.

I'll join in this wish.

mUUser
10-11-2015, 11:46 PM
Based on preseason hype, I'd think the average SC fan feels like the season is scrap metal now. Don't see Sark surviving this with his job intact. Guessing Whittingham and a few other elite coaches are on being loaded on Haden's speed dial.

SoCalPat
10-12-2015, 09:24 AM
Based on preseason hype, I'd think the average SC fan feels like the season is scrap metal now. Don't see Sark surviving this with his job intact. Guessing Whittingham and a few other elite coaches are on being loaded on Haden's speed dial.

I don't let Haden make this call, but he's insulated by a lot of "his guys" -- J.T. McKay being one. Until we know Haden's future, it seems premature to guess on who they'll go after.

U-Ute
10-12-2015, 10:25 AM

Never underestimate their talent level.

SoCalPat
10-12-2015, 02:36 PM
Sark fired

http://www.usctrojans.com/blog/2015/10/sarkisian-terminated-as-usc-football-coach.html

Applejack
10-12-2015, 02:42 PM
Sark fired

http://www.usctrojans.com/blog/2015/10/sarkisian-terminated-as-usc-football-coach.html

Yowzas. The game in two weeks will be the new coach's first home game.

Solon
10-12-2015, 02:47 PM

I can't decide if that helps or hurts the Utes.
I lean towards hurt, if only because I think USC has really good talent that might actually receive some direction now.

Applejack
10-12-2015, 02:54 PM
How big a winner is UW in all this?

I think that they thought they got the better of the deal when the swapped Peterson for Sark. Now, they are just counting their blessings.

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-12-2015, 03:14 PM

My hope is that the Notre Dame game turns into one big emotional loss that carries over into the Colosseum.

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-12-2015, 03:15 PM
Is having your head coach fired mid season for public intoxication and alcoholism enough ground for the NCAA to allow current players to transfer without penalty?

SeattleUte
10-12-2015, 03:19 PM
Sark fired

Is Helton the one who decided in that last drive against Washington to start passing, and then kick a field goal? Those were smart calls.

NorthwestUteFan
10-12-2015, 03:24 PM
Is Pat Haden packing his office yet?

LA Ute
10-12-2015, 03:38 PM
Is Pat Haden packing his office yet?

Maybe. He's made two horrible head-scratcher hires in a row for a storied high-profile program with lots of money and very demanding fans.

SeattleUte
10-12-2015, 03:46 PM
He's made two horrible head-scratcher hires in a row for a storied high-profile program with lots of money and very demanding fans.

So you are saying an AD should get fired for making two horrible head-scratcher hires in a row for a storied high-profile program with lots of money and very demanding fans?

NorthwestUteFan
10-12-2015, 04:01 PM
So you are saying an AD should get fired for making two horrible head-scratcher hires in a row for a storied high-profile program with lots of money and very demanding fans?

If you hang a sign in the window which says "Athletic Director Wanted, Inquire Within" and you get 9,647 well-qualified applicants in 4 days, then the answer is a resounding Yes!

Otherwise the answer requires more finesse.

Jarid in Cedar
10-12-2015, 04:06 PM
Maybe. He's made two horrible head-scratcher hires in a row for a storied high-profile program with lots of money and very demanding fans.

Hayden didn't hire Kiffen. Garrett hired him. Hayden fired him.

SeattleUte
10-12-2015, 04:06 PM
If you hang a sign in the window which says "Athletic Director Wanted, Inquire Within" and you get 9,647 well-qualified applicants in 4 days, then the answer is a resounding Yes!

Otherwise the answer requires more finesse.

What else do they do besides hire coaches? I could do that.

Diehard Ute
10-12-2015, 04:10 PM

I didn't know you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

NorthwestUteFan
10-12-2015, 04:23 PM

Do you want to relocate to slc and lead fundraisers?

FWIW I love Whitt and largely respect Hill, but the program has to be seen as bigger than both of them. I fully expect Whitt will get offers, and Hill needs to match or beat everything if possible.

But if we move on, then I hope we can hire a solid coach next year. And I also realize that we could hire a complete dumpster fire of a coach.

Scary times...

LA Ute
10-12-2015, 04:27 PM

LA Ute
10-12-2015, 04:28 PM
Hayden didn't hire Kiffen. Garrett hired him. Hayden fired him.

I stand corrected. I still think Sark was a very strange hire for USC.

Sullyute
10-12-2015, 04:28 PM
I didn't know you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Lol.

LA Ute
10-12-2015, 04:31 PM
I wonder if there are any opportunities for us right now?

Top recruit Daelin Hayes decommits from USC, new allegations against Sarkisian surface (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/top-recruit-daelin-hayes-decommits-from-usc--new-allegations-against-sarkisian-surface-001333506.html)

mpfunk
10-12-2015, 04:44 PM

Top recruit Daelin Hayes decommits from USC, new allegations against Sarkisian surface (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/top-recruit-daelin-hayes-decommits-from-usc--new-allegations-against-sarkisian-surface-001333506.html)

I'm not going out on a limb when I say, no way in Hell.

LA Ute
10-12-2015, 04:55 PM
I'm not going out on a limb when I say, no way in Hell.

Your seeming familiarity with Hell, in light of our discussion Saturday night about your deal with the devil, worries me.

mpfunk
10-12-2015, 06:13 PM
Your seeming familiarity with Hell, in light of our discussion Saturday night about your deal with the devil, worries me.

Look, I'm not going to make any deals with the forces of evil to assist the Utah Utes. I love the Utes, but I'm saving any evil contracts to assist the Chicago Blackhawks.

Viking
10-12-2015, 06:47 PM

And apparently supporting a guy, even if a former coug, with an addiction problem, gets buried in these pages. That's too bad.

My grandfather was a Trojan. My great great grandfather, was president of the U. Both would agree it's better to support the person than the school. Not here, I guess.