PDA

View Full Version : The Trojans, the Ducks, the Bruins, and all those guys: The PAC-12 rivals thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

LA Ute
12-15-2016, 09:32 AM
I'm failing to see the issue.

My iPhone is the only way I ever access anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's simple. I am too lazy to check entire threads before posting something using my iPhone. You're all just going to have to deal with it.

UtahsMrSports
12-15-2016, 09:56 AM
After being asked about getting calls on other college coaching jobs on Outkick the coverage with Clay Travis, Mike MacIntyre got mad and hung up on him. Then, his AD sent a profanity-laced tirade to Clay's show booker. This should all go over well.

Just listened to it (its clay travis' current pinned tweet, about 100 minutes in is where the interview starts, its a pretty short interview.). I don't think that Clay's question deserved that response. However, after he got the 'No Comment', he should have just moved on and then given his opinion after the interview. His reaction was kind of funny. I don't think Mike was 'rattled', as much as I think he was annoyed and didn't want to keep getting poked.

Kudos to clay, he is going to get a few more people to listen to hid podcast with this.

DrumNFeather
12-15-2016, 10:03 AM
Just listened to it (its clay travis' current pinned tweet, about 100 minutes in is where the interview starts, its a pretty short interview.). I don't think that Clay's question deserved that response. However, after he got the 'No Comment', he should have just moved on and then given his opinion after the interview. His reaction was kind of funny. I don't think Mike was 'rattled', as much as I think he was annoyed and didn't want to keep getting poked.

Kudos to clay, he is going to get a few more people to listen to hid podcast with this.

He seemed annoyed the entire interview...starting with all the questioning about Louisville. Clay didn't ask one question about the Buffs, which was kind of funny. By contrast, Kyle went on there a few weeks ago and was very pleasant and clay was very respectful about Kyle and about the program.

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-15-2016, 06:30 PM
Washington State may not have an opponent for their bowl game.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-football-players-plan-to-threaten-boycott-of-bowl-game/406928136/

U-Ute
12-16-2016, 09:37 AM
Washington State may not have an opponent for their bowl game.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-football-players-plan-to-threaten-boycott-of-bowl-game/406928136/

They've already tapped N. Illinois to replace them if they need to. I would guess that decision will be made in the next few days as the game is only 11 days away.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/news/northern-illinois-holiday-bowl-washington-state-minnesota-boycott/a66o0uvinfbh1r4jlkb20t2tz

sancho
12-16-2016, 10:00 AM
They've already tapped N. Illinois to replace them if they need to. I would guess that decision will be made in the next few days as the game is only 11 days away.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/news/northern-illinois-holiday-bowl-washington-state-minnesota-boycott/a66o0uvinfbh1r4jlkb20t2tz

This is funny. I hope it happens and that NIU beats Wazzu on zero time for game prep. That would be the most amusing outcome.

LA Ute
12-18-2016, 05:15 AM
This is funny. I hope it happens and that NIU beats Wazzu on zero time for game prep. That would be the most amusing outcome.

Looks like the Gophers blinked:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/minnesota-football-players-end-boycott-resume-holiday-bowl-preparations/2016/12/17/16263182-c468-11e6-8422-eac61c0ef74d_story.html?utm_term=.9133bef80748

NorthwestUteFan
12-20-2016, 09:23 PM
Hopefully they read the victim's account and were horrified at the kind of actions they were defending.

chrisrenrut
12-21-2016, 09:04 AM
Gary Anderson's contract is extended through 2021. I mean, why not?

Oregon State doubled its wins total from two to four this season.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18324887/gary-andersen-agrees-contract-extension-oregon-state-beavers-2021-season

mUUser
12-26-2016, 12:16 PM
Gary Anderson's contract is extended through 2021. I mean, why not?

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18324887/gary-andersen-agrees-contract-extension-oregon-state-beavers-2021-season

You know, after watching a season of OSU The Drive, I really don't feel like he's the right candidate for Utah. He just doesn't have the "presence" of KW that I'm used to now. I don't know who the next best candidate will be, but, it isn't Anderson and it isn't Sitake.

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-26-2016, 02:05 PM
You know, after watching a season of OSU The Drive, I really don't feel like he's the right candidate for Utah. He just doesn't have the "presence" of KW that I'm used to now. I don't know who the next best candidate will be, but, it isn't Anderson and it isn't Sitake.

They both seem to want to be buddy coaches.

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-26-2016, 02:06 PM
In other conference news, Luke Falk coming back as a senior.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/wsu-cougar-football/wsu-qb-luke-falk-will-return-for-his-senior-season-says-mike-leach/

justaute
12-26-2016, 07:43 PM
Just read this ESPN article about Chris Petersen at UW. Really like the below quote.

"[Petersen and his staff] are so fundamentally oriented, more than any system that's been here since Don's,"

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18332478/washington-huskies-college-football-playoff-appearance-versus-alabama-crimson-tide-only-beginning-chris-petersen

U-Ute
12-27-2016, 03:46 PM
Just read this ESPN article about Chris Petersen at UW. Really like the below quote.

"[Petersen and his staff] are so fundamentally oriented, more than any system that's been here since Don's,"

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18332478/washington-huskies-college-football-playoff-appearance-versus-alabama-crimson-tide-only-beginning-chris-petersen

I hope you don't mind that I fixed the link.

sancho
12-30-2016, 09:21 AM
I hope everyone else enjoyed the Mike MacIntyre spaz cam as much as I did last night. Looked like Rich Rod out there.

It's probably not a coincidence that the three best coaches in the Pac-12 (Whitt, Shaw, and Petersen) are also the three calmest coaches in the Pac-12.

The Pac is now 1-2, with WSU and CU completely laying eggs in their games. Here's hoping Stanford and USC lose as well. Go Huskies, though!

sancho
12-30-2016, 09:31 AM
It's probably not a coincidence that the three best coaches in the Pac-12 (Whitt, Shaw, and Petersen) are also the three calmest coaches in the Pac-12.

Coaching tiers:

Do and say the right thing all the time tier: Whitt, Shaw, Petersen

Good coach, weird guy, locks guys in the shed tier: Leach

X's and O's and I wouldn't let my kid play for this guy tier: Rodriguez, Graham, MacIntyre

I want out sooo bad tier: Dykes

Right place, right time tier: Helton

Too boring for a tier tier: Anderson, Mora

New guy needs to make the playoffs in order to surpass the guy they just fired tier: Taggart

Applejack
12-31-2016, 12:27 PM
In Stanford's victory yesterday, Dallas Lloyd of Utah had two picks, including one pick six. If you just put Stanford's Utahns on the Utes, I think we are rose bowling.

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-31-2016, 01:55 PM
Seems oddly familiar.

http://thebiglead.com/2016/12/31/alabamas-captains-refused-to-shake-hands-with-washingtons-captains-after-coin-toss/

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-31-2016, 02:45 PM
In Stanford's victory yesterday, Dallas Lloyd of Utah had two picks, including one pick six. If you just put Stanford's Utahns on the Utes, I think we are rose bowling.

Interesting enough. My father-in-law was in town for several hours on Wednesday. The bowl game came up and the conversation eventually turned to Stanford where I was encouraged to keep an eye on their tight end. (For whatever reason, he forgets that I pay too much attention to this stuff.) Dalton Schultz is his sister's kid. I told him that I was still kissed at him for not pushing Dalton harder to go to Utah. My fil then claimed that Dalton was pretty high on Utah but that the coaches didn't even show much interest in him until he verbaled to Stanford. I'm not going to take him literally on this, since I remember him committing to the Cardinal pretty late in the process but if we take the comment metaphorically, is it possible that Dalton felt Utah wasn't giving him the same amount of attention as some of the other schools? I don't know the answer and so just shrugged my shoulders and said, I guess that's what happens when you have so much change in your offensive personnel from year to year.

sancho
01-02-2017, 05:30 PM
Penn St just made USC look like a bunch of clowns on that return. Go lions!

If not for stinking Stanford, we would have a chance to be the only Pac-12 bowl win.

sancho
01-02-2017, 06:26 PM
TDs on 7 consecutive drives for PSU. Shot of sad Stevie T moping on the sideline wishing he had played in the Foster Farms.

Can you imagine the outcry had OSU been in PSU's position and not made the playoff?

sancho
01-02-2017, 07:38 PM
Shot of sad Stevie T moping on the sideline wishing he had played in the Foster Farms.

Shot of sad sancho wishing he were still watching the Foster Farms.

mUUser
01-03-2017, 12:55 PM
It's probably not a coincidence that the three best coaches in the Pac-12 (Whitt, Shaw, and Petersen) are also the three calmest coaches in the Pac-12.....

Until KW seals the deal, I wouldn't put him in the same class as Shaw and Petersen. He's a lifer and will end up as a legend at Utah, but, he's still a rung below Shaw and Pete.

concerned
01-08-2017, 11:39 AM
What do you think sonny dykes did? He's not chip kelly?

NorthwestUteFan
01-08-2017, 01:29 PM
What do you think sonny dykes did? He's not chip kelly?
Chip Kelly suddenly being without steady employment perhaps plays into this?

Cal probably won't even need to pay relocation expenses..

Diehard Ute
01-08-2017, 03:29 PM
Chip Kelly suddenly being without steady employment perhaps plays into this?

Cal probably won't even need to pay relocation expenses..

Wilner seems to think Chip would have no interest in the job.

sancho
01-08-2017, 04:04 PM

I wonder if fleck wishes he had waited a few days.

mUUser
01-08-2017, 05:01 PM
I wonder if fleck wishes he had waited a few days.

At the bowl game I took some time to tour both Cal and Stanford. I'm kind of a college junkie and have a habit of checking out college campuses and towns, with a special visit to their baseball field. Berkeley is probably one of the scummiest college towns I've visited. The campus is ok, but the town? Pretty bad. Surprised me a bit.

NorthwestUteFan
01-08-2017, 10:22 PM

Probably correct.

I think Justin Wilcox might have a shot. He was DC at Boise and at UW, and now is the DC at Wisconsin.

LA Ute
01-09-2017, 07:31 PM
I am in the Portland airport. If any of you want me to buy you some Ducks gear...you can forget it.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170110/e8a943842fc11903bf58f9b1992c8376.jpg

sancho
01-09-2017, 07:35 PM
I am in the Portland airport. If any of you want me to buy you some Ducks gear...you can forget it.

Can't believe there isn't beaver gear everywhere. They went to a rose bowl once and have a good baseball team.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-13-2017, 10:02 PM
Oregon gets someone from the Alabama program that is considered one of the best recruiters in the country.

http://www.csnnw.com/oregon-ducks/mario-cristobal-leaving-alabama-oregon

U-Ute
01-14-2017, 09:40 AM
Oregon gets someone from the Alabama program that is considered one of the best recruiters in the country.

http://www.csnnw.com/oregon-ducks/mario-cristobal-leaving-alabama-oregon

That's a specious claim. How hard is it to recruit to Alabama?

Applejack
01-18-2017, 09:07 AM
Adoree Jackson is going pro! Don't include the Tim Patrick TD catch on your highlight package, Adoree!

DrumNFeather
01-18-2017, 09:22 AM
Adoree Jackson is going pro! Don't include the Tim Patrick TD catch on your highlight package, Adoree!

Who was it that tossed Domo like a rag doll? Was that Adore or JuJu?

concerned
01-18-2017, 09:27 AM

JuJu

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-18-2017, 09:28 AM

The best.

https://youtu.be/ILAV4LPpjSE

concerned
02-17-2017, 09:02 AM
Hear on the radio this morning:

Paul Finebaum (the SEC homer) ripped Jim Harbaugh yesterday fro trying to hire Michael Johnson as an assistant coach, because Johnson's son is one of the highest rated qb's in the class of 2019. Said it was unethical, etc. (even though it happens all the time, esp. in basketball, and Johsnon is a former oc at UCLA and pro coach). Harbaugh tweeted back at Finebaum calling him "Pete," and they generally got into it.

The significance? While they were yelling back and forth, yesterday Johnson became the wide receivers coach at Oregon.

Utah
02-17-2017, 09:33 AM
Ha ha. So smart of Oregon. I don't like a lot of what Oregon does, but they do a lot of things really, really well. Having Nike definitely helps, but you then have to go and do something with those resources. There are a lot of teams with tons of resources that don't do much.

Harbaugh is starting to enter into that realm.

He did rebuild Stanford, and he deserves all the credit for that.

BUT, he's never won a conference title. He had the most experienced talent in the country last year and couldn't even make the playoffs. Does he have a big win, other than USC in 2009? He had a dominant SF team and he benched Smith for Kaepernick, possibly costing his team two superbowls.

The man is Trump in football form. Well, at least Harbaugh did do really good things at Stanford, even though he could never close the deal.

Harbaugh seems to be the kind of guy that can build things quickly, but people tire of him before he can ever finish what he started.

Finally, why would Harbaugh need to do something like this? He isn't at Stanford or BYU (and when I say Stanford, I mean Stanford pre-Harbaugh. Stanford doesn't need gimicks like this anymore. Stanford is edging on becoming a national powerhouse). He is at freaking Michigan. He can take whoever he wants. One kid isn't going to make or break you, like it might at BYU. He doesn't need to do stuff like this.

He will end up with a top 10 class no matter what. Then, it is up to coaching to make that top 10 class into a top 10 football team. Then, you pray for a little luck with scheduling and injuries and hope you become a top 4 football team.

Scorcho
02-17-2017, 04:23 PM
thought this was interesting from Ted Miller

Peter from Auburn, Washington, writes: The program arcs of the Pac-12 South's 2011-12 coaching hires (Jim Mora/UCLA, Rich Rodriguez/Arizona, Todd Graham/Arizona State) seem remarkably similar. Each took over a losing team from 2011, turned the program around, peaking in a 2014 season in which all three won 10 games, then took a step back in 2015 before a 2016 season in which all three declined further, each missing a bowl game for the first time in his tenure. What do you think the likelihood is that their arcs remain the same, and if so, which direction might that be? How plausible is it that all three will be fired/resign by the end of 2017?

Ted Miller: It's notable that the program arcs are even more aligned than in your observations about the three coaches in question. Each of these three teams would be hiring its fifth head coach since 2000 if it made a change after the 2017 season.

Hmm. Extrapolate as you will on that factoid.

I'd be surprised if all three are fired/resign/leave at the end of the season. But I wouldn't be surprised if one of the three isn't back in 2018. In fact, my perhaps jaded expectation is that some turnover is likely among that troika, in large part because inhabiting the same division means that -- 2014 notwithstanding -- one's success probably comes at the others' expense.

That's the coaching profession. It's not easy to rebuild a struggling program, but it's far more difficult to sustain excellence, particularly when said program isn't a national brand name (think Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Florida State, USC, etc.).

What went wrong? Well, all three coaches could point to notable injury issues, but it's more than that.
Rich Rodriguez might be the best offensive coach in the nation, but the Wildcats' recruiting has fallen short. Jim Mora's fortunes took a downturn with schematic and staff issues. Todd Graham blends together those two problems but also has dug himself a hole with rhetorical flourishes that promised more than he delivered. Only Mora will be working this fall for the athletic director who hired him.
Arizona State and UCLA, on paper, look like they have the talent to turn things around this fall, though no one will pick either to eclipse USC in the South. The Sun Devils must get smarter on defense. The Bruins need a healthy, more mature Josh Rosen (http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/3886377/josh-rosen) living up to his potential behind center. Arizona seems to have issues on both sides of the ball, though the Wildcats' improving offensive line is a foundation for hope.

The caveat we always offer up, however, to fan bases eager to see their coach fired is this: Be careful what you wish for. All three of these programs have longstanding patterns of moderate-to-impressive upticks, followed by increased expectations and then downturns that quickly douse any previous goodwill and immediately surround the program in negativity.

As Bonagura said in the obscure Shakespeare play "Dick Tomey, Bruce Snyder and Bob Toledo Send Their Regards," “O! beware, my message board denizens, of negativity; it is the green-eyed monster which doth mock the meat it feeds on.”

http://www.espn.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id/108513/mailbag-coaching-woes-in-pac-12-south

LA Ute
02-17-2017, 05:28 PM
Great stuff, scorcho.

Scorcho
02-17-2017, 06:04 PM
Great stuff, scorcho.

there are some interesting stories out there today. This one sounds sketchy for those hated Buffs

http://footballscoop.com/news/mike-macintyre-contract-extension-delayed-promotion-domestic-abuser/

:shocker:

Utah
02-17-2017, 06:31 PM
That's what you took from that mailbag? This is what caught my eye:

Hector writes: Utah consistently sends players to the NFL. The Utes have proven they know how to develop "lesser" talent. What will it take for Utah to become a national powerhouse?

Ted Miller: Efficient, productive play at quarterback. References: 2004 and 2008.
See? I'm not always long-winded.

sancho
06-19-2017, 08:42 AM
Hot seat ratings:

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/06/19/college-hotline-pac-12-football-coaches-hot-seat-update-with-contract-info/

Utah’s Kyle Whittingham
Contract: Signed through 2021 (Source: Salt Lake Tribune (http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5386559-155/utah-football-kyle-whittingham-signs-contract))
Hot Seat rating: Frigid
Comment: Yes, there’s a faction of disgruntled Ute fans, but it’s small and doesn’t realize Whittingham is a top-notch coach … and that Utah is unlikely (highly unlikely) to do any better.

Utah
06-19-2017, 09:32 AM
I agree. Any fan who wants Whitt gone immediately loses all credibility.

concerned
06-19-2017, 09:53 AM

Nobody is going to be disgruntled until they see how well Troy Taylor's offense works, esp. with Tuttle.

sancho
06-19-2017, 10:21 AM

I don't hear people calling for his job. At least not recently. I do hear a lot of whiny grumbling. Like Wilner said, there is a small, loud contingent that doesn't see how lucky we are.

Like concerned alluded to, as soon as our offense struggles (inevitable), that grumbling will get loud. "The common denominator through every issue we've ever had is Kyle Whittingham!"

sancho
06-19-2017, 10:29 AM
Nobody is going to be disgruntled until they see how well Troy Taylor's offense works, esp. with Tuttle.

No way our fans are patient enough to wait for Tuttle. If the offense is a disaster this season, the complaining will be loud. We've seen that over and over again with our OC carousel.

LA Ute
06-19-2017, 10:55 AM
No way our fans are patient enough to wait for Tuttle. If the offense is a disaster this season, the complaining will be loud. We've seen that over and over again with our OC carousel.

True. A disastrous offense this season would be, well a disaster for the program.

I think that if in 2017 Utah is in the middle of the PAC or higher, offensively; we are not miserable in the red zone; and our offense can put close games away in crunch time; people will be happy. I certainly will be.

sancho
06-19-2017, 11:28 AM
True. A disastrous offense this season would be, well a disaster for the program.

It depends on what you mean by disaster. When was the last time we had a "disastrous" offense? We have finished in the top25 three seasons in a row. Clearly, a top 25 finish is not a disaster for the program.

I think that if in 2017 Utah is in the middle of the PAC or higher, offensively; we are not miserable in the red zone; and our offense can put close games away in crunch time; people will be happy. I certainly will be.

So, the status quo over the past few seasons, basically. I will also be happy with that. I think you overestimate the whiny faction, though. I think that faction will find things to complain about unless we are an absolute offensive juggernaut.

SoCalPat
06-19-2017, 11:32 AM
I don't hear people calling for his job. At least not recently. I do hear a lot of whiny grumbling. Like Wilner said, there is a small, loud contingent that doesn't see how lucky we are.

Like concerned alluded to, as soon as our offense struggles (inevitable), that grumbling will get loud. "The common denominator through every issue we've ever had is Kyle Whittingham!"

Kyle ranks 94th out of 128 coaches in FBS at coacheshotseat.com. Meanwhile, three Pac-12 coaches, all in the South, are in the top 15, two in the top 5.

http://www.coacheshotseat.com/CoachesHotSeatRanking.htm

Interesting point of note: There are four coaches currently at schools in our previous league who are on cooler seats than Kyle, and I'm surprised Craig Bohl at Wyoming doesn't rate colder (or nearly as cold) as Kyle's. That's stability the MWC needs and never really had once you got past Utah, BYU and TCU.

SoCalPat
06-19-2017, 11:35 AM
As for people wanting Kyle fired, it's a very small minority, but I think people who brush aside his repeated November failures and want us to be over the moon over the last three years are incurable apologists.

sancho
06-19-2017, 11:41 AM
want us to be over the moon over the last three years are incurable apologists.

How many times in our football history have we finished in the top 25 in three consecutive seasons? I don't know if I'm over the moon or if I'm an apologist, but I like having a ranked team. This definitely doesn't feel old to me yet.

Utah
06-19-2017, 12:10 PM
A bowl game this year is a good year.

What worries me is that if we win 6 games, which isn't bad with this schedule, people will call for Whitt, and that's just dumb.

LA Ute
06-19-2017, 12:57 PM
It depends on what you mean by disaster. When was the last time we had a "disastrous" offense? We have finished in the top25 three seasons in a row. Clearly, a top 25 finish is not a disaster for the program.

I meant that if we end up something like 10th or worse in the conference, which we have done recently but I don't expect to happen again, that would be a disaster for the program. It would hurt recruiting and fan support. Even non-whiny people would start losing hope. Now, programs do recover from disasters. I just don't want to see one.

So, the status quo over the past few seasons, basically. I will also be happy with that.

Not quite status quo. Last season we were 8th in scoring offense, 7th in total offense, 4th in rushing offense (yay!), 9th in passing offense, 10th in passing efficiency. But that was an improvement over the prior 2-3 years. (In 2015 we were 9th, 11th, 4th -- yay! again-- 11th, and 10th in those categories.) I'd like us to be 6th or better in every category, or at least hovering around 6th. I think that's a modest hope.

Rocker Ute
06-19-2017, 01:29 PM
Any list like this is invalid if they don't automatically have Texas in the top 10 at all times.

Utah
06-19-2017, 01:36 PM
As for people wanting Kyle fired, it's a very small minority, but I think people who brush aside his repeated November failures and want us to be over the moon over the last three years are incurable apologists.

Lol. Three years ranked = ok = incurable apologists?

Lol.

This is Utah, not Oregon or USC or Alabama.

What has happened the last three years hasn't been perfect, but has been our best three year run ever.

sancho
06-19-2017, 03:05 PM
Not quite status quo. Last season we were 8th in scoring offense, 7th in total offense, 4th in rushing offense (yay!), 9th in passing offense, 10th in passing efficiency.

Fair enough. Just remember that scoring offense, total offense, etc, are stats biased towards the types of systems we don't (or didn't) run.

If we end up 10th in scoring offense this season, and if we stink as a team, I'll be just as bummed as you. But if we end up 10th in scoring offense yet finish in the top 25, I'll be fine.

Concerned highlighted the need for patience with a new OC. If we bail on him after one bad season, we are back to the OC carousel. Anything good that happens offensively this season is a bonus. If we are bowl eligible, that's great. Let Taylor have Tuttle and co. for a few years, and we'll see what we think.

SoCalPat
06-19-2017, 03:12 PM
Lol. Three years ranked = ok = incurable apologists?

Lol.

This is Utah, not Oregon or USC or Alabama.

What has happened the last three years hasn't been perfect, but has been our best three year run ever.

No, our best three-year run ever was 2007-09, and it's not even close.

SoCalPat
06-19-2017, 03:16 PM
How many times in our football history have we finished in the top 25 in three consecutive seasons? I don't know if I'm over the moon or if I'm an apologist, but I like having a ranked team. This definitely doesn't feel old to me yet.

I will trade 3 years of an average ranking of 20.3 for one year of a top 10 ranking and Pac-12 title game appearance.

Also, we had season-ending rankings in 2008-10.

LA Ute
06-19-2017, 03:34 PM
Concerned highlighted the need for patience with a new OC. If we bail on him after one bad season, we are back to the OC carousel. Anything good that happens offensively this season is a bonus. If we are bowl eligible, that's great. Let Taylor have Tuttle and co. for a few years, and we'll see what we think.

I completely agree, except that I need more than "anything good" to be happy with the offense.
:onalimb:

sancho
06-19-2017, 03:40 PM
I will trade 3 years of an average ranking of 20.3 for one year of a top 10 ranking and Pac-12 title game appearance.

No doubt.

Still, the past three seasons mark an historically good run for us.

LA Ute
07-23-2017, 12:10 PM
Trouble in paradise.

USC received more than a year of questions about former medical school dean's conduct before scandal broke

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-usc-dean-ethics-20170723-story.html

The L.A. healthcare community is in an uproar about this scandal.

"Rise and shout!"

sancho
08-07-2017, 10:05 AM
Best/worst case for each south team:

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/08/07/pac-12-south-preview-best-case-worst-case-for-each-team/

Applejack
08-26-2017, 05:03 PM
Too bad we miss out on the beavs this year. They get steamrolled by csu.

sancho
08-30-2017, 11:03 AM
Shorter games in the Pac-12?

http://pac-12.com/article/2017/08/29/pac-12-set-pilot-shorter-football-game-length-program?amp

Sounds like Utah did not agree to the shortened halftime?

Utah
08-30-2017, 01:40 PM
The problem is tv breaks. That's it. Some day the money will lessen and the games will shorten. But until then, bleed that piggy dry. Daddy wants a new south end zone.

U-Ute
09-02-2017, 07:18 PM
Blind USC long snapper makes final PAT snap in game against Western Michigan.

What a great story.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-03-2017, 07:09 PM
A running back with the last name Williams is running all over the Bruins. Imagine that.

NorthwestUteFan
09-03-2017, 07:42 PM
Blind USC long snapper makes final PAT snap in game against Western Michigan.

What a great story.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThat is a great story. I am glad USC honored Sark's promise of putting Jake on a football scholarship, suiting up, and playing in a game.

sancho
09-03-2017, 08:17 PM
A running back with the last name Williams is running all over the Bruins. Imagine that.

Think Guerrero has called Chip Kelly yet?

sancho
09-03-2017, 09:20 PM
Think Guerrero has called Chip Kelly yet?

Nevermind. Wow. UCLA just scored 35 unanswered to take a lead after being down 44-10. Now they need to play 43 seconds of defense to win.

Edit - and UCLA wins.

sancho
09-03-2017, 10:21 PM
Nevermind. Wow. UCLA just scored 35 unanswered to take a lead after being down 44-10. Now they need to play 43 seconds of defense to win.

Edit - and UCLA wins.

This is, like many comebacks, a story of clock mismanagement. A&M continued to pass in the 2nd half, when a conservative run approach would have surely resulted in a win.

UTEopia
09-04-2017, 08:21 AM

Edit - and UCLA wins.

That is the kind of win that can propel a team to a special season.

Applejack
09-04-2017, 08:30 AM
That is the kind of win that can propel a team to a special season.

Or, since we are talking about UCLA, a mediocre season!

NorthwestUteFan
09-04-2017, 09:30 AM
This is, like many comebacks, a story of clock mismanagement. A&M continued to pass in the 2nd half, when a conservative run approach would have surely resulted in a win.This is correct. If they could eat ~5 minutes each off the clock with a pair of run-heavy drives, even without scoring, they steal away a few possessions from UCLA and win easily.

It is a fine balancing act. But Whitt's logic makes sense.

NorthwestUteFan
09-04-2017, 09:35 AM
I enjoyed watching people point out to the 'SEC! SEC! PAC-12 Sucks!' mouth-breathing chest thumpers that UCLA was 2-7 last year in conference.

U-Ute
09-08-2017, 12:26 PM
I love this.

Cal marks the location of the Hayward fault line that runs through the stadium.

http://scout.com/college/california/Article/Cal-football-turns-Memorial-Stadiums-literal-fault-into-an-asset-105674353

They also give visitors a helpful tip: DO NOT FALL INTO THE FAULT LINE

sancho
09-10-2017, 07:47 AM
Boise had Wazzu 31-17 with the ball and 6 minutes to go. Ended up losing in OT. Was there a pick 6 involved, you ask? Yes, yes there was.

sancho
09-10-2017, 07:55 AM
RichRod and Graham are coaching their last seasons in the desert. What about Gary? Is he done at OSU?

Applejack
09-10-2017, 08:48 AM
RichRod and Graham are coaching their last seasons in the desert. What about Gary? Is he done at OSU?

Gary is done.

Applejack
09-10-2017, 08:49 AM
Boise had Wazzu 31-17 with the ball and 6 minutes to go. Ended up losing in OT. Was there a pick 6 involved, you ask? Yes, yes there was.

Pick 6 AND a fumble on a punt (not by the returner; a blocker).

sancho
09-11-2017, 01:18 PM
Who does our Pac-12 power rankings?

Utah
09-11-2017, 11:44 PM
Gary is done.

Didn't Gary just get a big raise from the AD, his buddy? I think that almost guarantees him at least one more year.

NorthwestUteFan
09-12-2017, 12:23 AM
I thought Gary was on a 6 year contract with a large buyout. OSU paid $3M to Wisconsin for Gary's last buyout, and he will owe OSU $2.5M to $3M if he leaves for another job elsewhere.

If they fire him without cause (i.e. fire him for a losing record) it seems they will owe him the rest of his contract, which would be $11.2M after this year.

Seems like a hefty cost. But then again Oregon thought it a bargain to pay Mark Helfrich that much to GTFO of Eugene.

NorthwestUteFan
09-12-2017, 12:44 AM
For kicks I looked up the cost to fire certain coaches. This is the cost to fire the following coaches this year:
RichRod - $8.9M
Todd Graham - $14.3M
Matt Wells - $2.7M
Jim Mora - $15.1M
Bronco Mendenhall - $14.5M

Nick Saban - $23.3M and a lifetime of serious-as-a-heartattack death threats against the AD

Chris Petersen - $16M
The Pirate from Pullman - $4.9M
Kyle Whittingham - $12.3M

Kalani Sitake - $27k in food from the Bishops Storehouse and a calling as a mission president

sancho
09-13-2017, 08:44 AM
Who does our Pac-12 power rankings?

Wilner does:

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/09/13/power-ratings-usc-takes-over-the-top-spot-oregon-rises-and-the-bottom-takes-shape/

8. Utah (2-0)Last week: 8
Result: Won at Brigham Young 19-13
Next up: vs. San Jose State
Comment: Not enough cupcakes left on the schedule (inside or outside the Pac-12) for the Utes to glide into the postseason. To reach six wins, they’ll need to beat at least one of Stanford/Oregon/Colorado/L.A.s/Washingtons.

Applejack
09-13-2017, 09:07 AM
Wilner does:

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/09/13/power-ratings-usc-takes-over-the-top-spot-oregon-rises-and-the-bottom-takes-shape/

Wilner takes a dig at byu there.

And I think he's wrong about one thing: I'll guarantee we beat one of those teams listed; I just worry about pooping the bed against one of the arizonas.

U-Ute
09-13-2017, 09:12 AM
Wilner takes a dig at byu there.

And I think he's wrong about one thing: I'll guarantee we beat one of those teams listed; I just worry about pooping the bed against one of the arizonas.

I can't imagine why you'd worry about that.

*eye starts twitching*

Utah
09-13-2017, 09:58 AM
One the one hand, I want to rip Wilner for hating on Utah for doubting us going bowling.

On the other hand, freaking score some TD's.

We should have beaten ND by more and we should have beaten BYU by 3 TD's.

If we can't score TD's, we may be in trouble. Who would have thought the problem is our run game and the pass game looks good?

Ha ha.

Where is DHC? I think Shyne is a bigger blow than we realize.

Applejack
09-13-2017, 11:57 AM
One the one hand, I want to rip Wilner for hating on Utah for doubting us going bowling.

On the other hand, freaking score some TD's.

We should have beaten ND by more and we should have beaten BYU by 3 TD's.

If we can't score TD's, we may be in trouble. Who would have thought the problem is our run game and the pass game looks good?

Ha ha.

Where is DHC? I think Shyne is a bigger blow than we realize.

Yeah, moss doesn't impress me much (thanks, Shania!). I think teams will load up the backfield with dbs against us.

Utah
09-13-2017, 11:59 AM
That would be my strategy. Load the box, let us pass and then expect us to fall on our faces in the red zone.

Applejack
09-13-2017, 12:00 PM
That would be my strategy. Load the box, let us pass and then expect us to fall on our faces in the red zone.

It's worked so far! I still haven't seen enough of our offense to conclude that we will be bowl eligible.

NorthwestUteFan
09-13-2017, 05:19 PM
It's worked so far! I still haven't seen enough of our offense to conclude that we will be bowl eligible.Just enjoy the rebuilding year.

Diehard Ute
09-16-2017, 10:18 AM
UCLA's defense is more porous than a colander .

Applejack
09-16-2017, 10:32 AM
Arizona put up 50 something points against Tim hardaway and the UTEP Miners. Next week will be interesting.

But I'll be there in THE FLESH!

Diehard Ute
09-16-2017, 11:10 AM
Arizona put up 50 something points against Tim hardaway and the UTEP Miners. Next week will be interesting.

But I'll be there in THE FLESH!

Everyone has put up points on UTEP

sancho
09-16-2017, 12:07 PM

True, but how could any Utah fan not be nervous about Arizona?

sancho
09-16-2017, 02:02 PM
UCLA's defense is more porous than a colander .

And Memphis wins! Hee hee.

LA Ute
09-16-2017, 02:40 PM

There is no way.

Applejack
09-16-2017, 02:48 PM

:Jig:

Should have left last year, Josh.

Scorcho
09-16-2017, 03:47 PM

thats a bad loss for the PAC12

sancho
09-16-2017, 03:49 PM
thats a bad loss for the PAC12

Which means almost nothing for me as a Utah fan. Pac12 fans are probably devastated, though.

Sullyute
09-16-2017, 04:34 PM
Which means almost nothing for me as a Utah fan. Pac12 fans are probably devastated, though.

:applause:

USS Utah
09-16-2017, 06:09 PM

Nice one.

Applejack
09-16-2017, 07:25 PM

:Clap:

Go Texas!

DrumNFeather
09-17-2017, 12:13 AM
Cal beats Ole Miss.

About 10 minutes later, SDSU knocks off Stanford.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

sancho
09-17-2017, 12:30 AM
Cal beats Ole Miss.

About 10 minutes later, SDSU knocks off Stanford.

Down go UCLA, ASU, and Stanford. Two of them to G5 teams. Love it. OSU loses too.

Decent chance Utah is ranked going into Tuscon.

U-Ute
09-19-2017, 03:42 PM

I agree with Sancho. Those words should strike fear in the hearts of any long time Utah fan.

sancho
09-23-2017, 12:05 PM
Got an email from CU athletics this morning: "tickets still available for CU vs UW tonight!"

How do you not sell that game out?

sancho
09-24-2017, 07:45 AM
Conference standings:

2-0: USC
1-0: Utah UW, ASU, WSU
1-1: Stanford
0-1: UCLA, Cal, Zona, CU, Oregon, OSU

Who else watching Stanford last night? Their line was opening massive holes in the run game. Oline vs Dline is the key matchup for us in two weeks.

Sullyute
09-24-2017, 08:53 AM
Stanford is 1-1, USC is 2-0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sancho
09-24-2017, 10:33 AM
Stanford is 1-1, USC is 2-0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Oops

UTEopia
09-24-2017, 01:59 PM
Watching USC struggle for a while against Cal and Oregon lose to ASU on the road remind me that winning in the PAC is easier said than done. The Utes have a lot of room for improvement, two weeks to heal up a bit and prepare for two very physical games in the following weeks. I like our chances against Stanford and am hopeful we go into the USC game 5-0.

sancho
09-24-2017, 03:35 PM
Watching USC struggle for a while against Cal and Oregon lose to ASU on the road remind me that winning in the PAC is easier said than done. The Utes have a lot of room for improvement, two weeks to heal up a bit and prepare for two very physical games in the following weeks. I like our chances against Stanford and am hopeful we go into the USC game 5-0.

I feel worse about the Stanford game than I did two days ago. They looked strong last night, and Love is sooo quick.

I think Utah will come in with a conservative offensive plan, we will have a lot of 3 and outs, and we will manage to score a few times. The key match up is our Dline vs their Oline. The Oline has been the clear secret of the Cards success for a long time.

I think we make every attempt to shut down the run and force their mediocre QBs and their loser TE to beat us. With that type of game plan, you accept that they will burn us a few times in the pass game. It would be really nice to shut Shultz down in his homecoming game.

Utah
09-24-2017, 05:18 PM

That is what makes me happy about the Arizona game. How many teams can lose their QB and still win on the road? Vs a team that is about to lose their HC? And is top 5 in rushing in the country?

We had so many injuries, and for whatever dumb reason Troy W decided to look away from Carrington in the second half and yet we still won.

We could have folded and we won.

That is a good thing.

U-Ute
09-26-2017, 01:33 PM
If you want to hang your hat on anything: good teams find a way to win.

sancho
09-29-2017, 09:41 PM
I hope we get USC with 3/5 of their starting Oline out.

hostile
09-30-2017, 12:09 AM
Down goes USC.

chrisrenrut
09-30-2017, 06:28 AM
Down goes USC.

ESPN’s headline: Washington St joins the playoff conversation with win over USC.;)

LA Ute
09-30-2017, 06:50 AM
I thought WSU looked very impressive last night. And, try as I might, I just cannot dislike Mike Leach.

sancho
09-30-2017, 07:09 AM
I thought WSU looked very impressive last night. And, try as I might, I just cannot dislike Mike Leach.

I should like him because he's funny, and funny carries a lot of weight. I just can't get past a suspicion that he uses funny to hide being a creep.

sancho
09-30-2017, 04:14 PM
I just watched Stanford create a hole 2 miles wide for Love. That is a scary line.

sancho
09-30-2017, 08:40 PM
I just watched Stanford create a hole 2 miles wide for Love. That is a scary line.

Love is a main story of the early season. Utah has a real opportunity next week. If we manage to contain Love, everyone will notice.

sancho
09-30-2017, 09:15 PM
Oregon up 17-0 over Cal. Last season, when people argued for Helfrich to keep his job, they said the Ducks were going to be loaded this season. Maybe they were right.

sancho
10-01-2017, 10:00 AM
Oregon up 17-0 over Cal. Last season, when people argued for Helfrich to keep his job, they said the Ducks were going to be loaded this season. Maybe they were right.

Herbert has a broken collarbone. Probably won't be back to face us at the end of the month.

LA Ute
10-06-2017, 12:29 PM
I like Mike Leach. This is hilarious.

https://twitter.com/SWXLindsayJoy/status/915663238913654784/video/1

DrumNFeather
10-14-2017, 03:34 PM
Oregon state with a pulse. Up 19-14 on the Buffs.

hostile
10-14-2017, 10:07 PM
UW looking pretty anemic against ASU. Down 13-0 going in to halftime

chrisrenrut
10-15-2017, 12:00 AM
Down goes UW. As well as my level of confidence for an easy win next week.

concerned
10-15-2017, 01:46 PM
BI'll moos, the wsu ad, named at Nebraska. Does he take leach with him?

sancho
10-15-2017, 01:51 PM

I sure hope so.

justaute
10-15-2017, 03:03 PM
Hope not.

#1= He's funny.
#2= P12 needs to be a stronger P5 conference and be more competitive with other P5 conferences.

sancho
10-15-2017, 03:16 PM
Hope not.

#1= He's funny.
#2= P12 needs to be a stronger P5 conference and be more competitive with other P5 conferences.

I'm all for P12 strength...as long as it comes from Utah. Wazzu has reached a level where they are regularly competing with us for recruits. I'd be happy to see them return to form.

justaute
10-15-2017, 03:47 PM
IMO, if Utah can't compete -- recruiting or playing -- then it does not belong in a P5 conference. If the opponents are strong, then wins against them mean that much more. It's my perspective. When I competed in college, and after, I always wanted my opponents to be at their best.

I'm all for P12 strength...as long as it comes from Utah. Wazzu has reached a level where they are regularly competing with us for recruits. I'd be happy to see them return to form.

sancho
10-21-2017, 09:54 PM
Cal goes for two and the win instead of kicking for OT. Fails and loses.

concerned
10-21-2017, 10:10 PM
Who besides me thinks USC ruined UW's chance at the playoff? If UW beats USC in the championship game (or anyone else from the South), it will be so devalued, UW will lose out to another one-loss team.

concerned
10-22-2017, 08:28 PM
Kyle Bonagura tweeted out some telling stats; we are last in the conference in % of drives that end in a touchdown; and last in points per drive

her is a link

https://twitter.com/BonaguraESPN

DrumNFeather
10-23-2017, 11:12 AM
Heading into this week, 11 of the 12 teams in the league have four wins or more:

WSU: 7-1 bowl eligible
Stanford: 5-2
Washington: 6-1 bowl eligible
Oregon: 4-4
Cal: 4-4

USC: 6-2 bowl eligible
ASU: 4-3
Arizona: 5-2
UCLA: 4-3
Utah: 4-3
Colorado: 4-4

Can all 11 get there?

Stanford most certainly will
Oregon has 3 of 4 remaining at home (Utah, Arizona, Oregon St.) and are @ Washington
Cal has 3 of 4 remaining on the road (@CU, @Stanford, @UCLA) and are home vs. Oregon St.
ASU has 3 of 5 remaining at home (vs. USC, vs. Colorado, vs. Arizona) with UCLA and Oregon St. on the Road
Arizona has 3 of 5 remaining on the road (@USC, @Oregon, @ASU) with WSU and Oregon St. at home
Utah has 3 of 5 remaining at home (vs. UCLA, vs. Wazzu, vs. Colorado) with Oregon and Washington on the road
Colorado has 2 at home (Cal, USC) and 2 on the road (ASU, Utah)

So, basically Cal vs. Colorado could be an elimination game for bowl eligibility this week.

sancho
10-29-2017, 08:45 AM
How 'bout the pirate last night? Benches Luke Falk in a spasm of rage, proceeds to double down on stubborn, refuses to put Falk back in, and dies on his hill as the backup throws pick after pick after pick.

I sure hope "lesson" he taught Falk was worth sacrificing a shot at a NY6 game.

UTEopia
10-29-2017, 09:08 AM
Happy to see ASU lose. Their fans that I have encountered are the worst in the PAC, although it may be a tie with Arizona. Their players stood around the U at midfield after the win and put their pitchfork in the U. Oh, and their coach is a dick.

Diehard Ute
10-29-2017, 11:16 AM
Happy to see ASU lose. Their fans that I have encountered are the worst in the PAC, although it may be a tie with Arizona. Their players stood around the U at midfield after the win and put their pitchfork in the U. Oh, and their coach is a dick.

Seems it’s a school thing....ASU gymnastics has the same reputation.

DrumNFeather
10-30-2017, 08:42 AM
Updated look at the bowl eligible teams and those fighting to get there...

Bowl Eligible:

Washington (7-1)
Washington St. (7-2)
USC (7-2)
Arizona (6-2)
Stanford (6-2)

One More Win:

Oregon (5-4) @Wash, vs. Arizona, vs. Oregon St.
Colorado (5-4) @ASU, vs. USC, @Utah

Work left to do:

Utah (4-4) vs. UCLA, vs. Wazzu, @ Wash, vs. CU
UCLA (4-4) @Utah, vs. ASU, @USC, vs. Cal
ASU (4-4) vs. CU, @. UCLA, @OSU, vs. Arizona
Cal (4-5) vs. OSU, @Stanford, @UCLA,

Out:

Oregon St. (1-7)

SoCalPat
10-30-2017, 02:08 PM
Arizona at USC for all the marbles in the South. Who could've envisioned this?

If Arizona wins and Khalil Tate dominates, you have to put him and Barkley as your top 2 Heisman candidates.

concerned
10-30-2017, 02:27 PM
Arizona at USC for all the marbles in the South. Who could've envisioned this?

If Arizona wins and Khalil Tate dominates, you have to put him and Barkley as your top 2 Heisman candidates.

Except nobody has seen him play. He is a heisman phantom. I suspect USC shuts him down anyway.

sancho
10-30-2017, 02:55 PM
Except nobody has seen him play. He is a heisman phantom. I suspect USC shuts him down anyway.

I saw him! For the first time this season, I watched him vs WSU. The best part of the game was watching Leach sabotage his own team out of stubbornness, but Tate was great.

DrumNFeather
11-06-2017, 09:13 AM
Updated with Week 10 results:

Bowl eligible:

Washington (8-1)
Wazzu (8-2)
USC (7-2)
Arizona (6-3)
Stanford (6-3)

One more win:

Utah (5-4) - vs. Wazzu, @Wash, vs. CU
Cal (5-5) - @Stanford, @UCLA,
Colorado (5-5) - vs. USC, @Utah
ASU (5-4) - @UCLA, @OSU, vs. Arizona
Oregon (5-5) - vs. Arizona, vs. Oregon St.

Work to do:

UCLA (4-5) - vs. ASU, @USC, vs. Cal

Gone Fishing:

Oregon St. (1-8)

UTEopia
11-06-2017, 09:32 AM
Updated with Week 10 results:

Bowl eligible:

Washington (8-1)
Wazzu (8-2)
USC (7-2)
Arizona (6-3)
Stanford (6-3)

One more win:

Utah (5-4) - vs. Wazzu, @Wash, vs. CU
Cal (5-5) - @Stanford, @UCLA,
Colorado (5-5) - vs. USC, @Utah
ASU (5-4) - @UCLA, @OSU, vs. Arizona
Oregon (5-5) - vs. Arizona, vs. Oregon St.

Work to do:

UCLA (4-5) - vs. ASU, @USC, vs. Cal

Gone Fishing:

Oregon St. (1-8)

CU vs Utah looking like a probable bowl game play-in.

DrumNFeather
11-06-2017, 10:10 AM
CU vs Utah looking like a probable bowl game play-in.

Yeah - would sure be nice if we somehow could just take care of that 6 win mark this weekend.

U-Ute
11-19-2017, 12:15 PM
Mora booted.

NorthwestUteFan
11-19-2017, 12:48 PM
Mora booted.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkChip Kelly to Westwood confirmed.

That is a terrifying thought.

Mormon Red Death
11-19-2017, 01:06 PM
Chip Kelly to Westwood confirmed.

That is a terrifying thought.Where are you seeing it confirmed for chip?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

LA Ute
11-19-2017, 01:35 PM
Where are you seeing it confirmed for chip?

CBS Sports sources it only to Bruin Report Online, so it’s not time to panic yet;

UCLA is paying Jim Mora a lot of money to not be the Bruins head coach next season and beyond -- about $12 million, according to USA Today's buyout database. To eat that kind of money, especially in the wake of massive facility improvements, implies UCLA is going for broke on a splashy coaching hire.
Per 247Sports' Bruin Report Online, that big name is former Oregon coach Chip Kelly.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ucla-is-reportedly-already-in-pursuit-of-chip-kelly-to-replace-jim-mora/

sancho
11-19-2017, 02:13 PM
Chip Kelly to Westwood confirmed.

That is a terrifying thought.

Yeah, but he's walking into a tough division. He can't really take the world by storm with a new offense anymore. The offense is 15 years old now. Like any big name hire at a big name school, he'll get a strong infusion of talent. If he has immediate success with it, he'll be golden for years.

USC, once again, looks around and realized they could have done much better than Helton.

NorthwestUteFan
11-19-2017, 09:28 PM
Where are you seeing it confirmed for chip?

Sent from my SM-G930T using TapatalkJust a joke. But I imagine Corey Wasserman wants to put a coach like Chip Kelly in his shiny new Wasserman Football Center at UCLA.

And Kelly's agent is meeting with the selection committee tomorrow, which conveniently happens to include one Corey Wasserman.

Mormon Red Death
11-20-2017, 03:56 PM
Please make this happen instead of chip Kelly

https://twitter.com/GainesTweets/status/932626920902152192

LA Ute
11-25-2017, 08:53 AM
UCLA buying in to a high-stakes game,playing with big Chip Kelly (http://e.latimes.com/a/hBaGYWGB8hLWGB9XIsIAAAqAUpc/lat3-2?MD5=8084dc22712b7b999a0be7a406bda924) Saturday, Nov 25

"Although UCLA was playing California in its final home game ofthe season, those at the Rose Bowl were on Chip Kelly Watch. Kelly might ormight not end up in Westwood, but their pursuit of him alone is confirmationthat UCLA athletics have enter a new era...."

Applejack
11-25-2017, 09:23 AM
UCLA buying in to a high-stakes game,playing with big Chip Kelly (http://e.latimes.com/a/hBaGYWGB8hLWGB9XIsIAAAqAUpc/lat3-2?MD5=8084dc22712b7b999a0be7a406bda924)

Saturday, Nov 25

"Although UCLA was playing California in its final home game ofthe season, those at the Rose Bowl were on Chip Kelly Watch. Kelly might ormight not end up in Westwood, but their pursuit of him alone is confirmationthat UCLA athletics have enter a new era...."

He's coming. It's official. The Pac12 South just got real.

LA Ute
11-25-2017, 10:08 AM
Pretty historic moment for UCLA. They’ve never hired anyone of Chip’s caliber.

UCLA hires Chip Kelly as football coach for 5-year, $23.3-million contract

http://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/la-sp-ucla-chip-kelly-20171125-story.html

LA Ute
11-25-2017, 10:49 AM
USC fans are going to suffer head coach envy.

sancho
11-25-2017, 01:56 PM
The Pac has 6 head coaches who have been in national title contention in the last week or so of a season.

Throw in a promising newbie or two, a jerk who steals signs, and an underwhelming Helton, and it's quite a conference.

NorthwestUteFan
11-25-2017, 03:48 PM
The Pac has 6 head coaches who have been in national title contention in the last week or so of a season.

Throw in a promising newbie or two, a jerk who steals signs, and an underwhelming Helton, and it's quite a conference.Rumor has it that the sign-stealer will be seeking new employment after today.

concerned
11-25-2017, 04:36 PM
Rumor has it that the sign-stealer will be seeking new employment after today.

Speaking of which, I just heard a rumor this afternoon. Apparently there was some sort of issue after the ASU game. Troy Taylor was warned that ASU knew our signals and would steal them. He didn't believe it and didn't prepare for it. They knew all our signals and the rest is history. Apparently, people were p***** off at Taylor after the game for that reason. Fwiw.

sancho
11-25-2017, 05:04 PM
Rumor has it that the sign-stealer will be seeking new employment after today.

After finishing 7-5?

USS Utah
11-25-2017, 05:25 PM
Speaking of which, I just heard a rumor this afternoon. Apparently there was some sort of issue after the ASU game. Troy Taylor was warned that ASU knew our signals and would steal them. He didn't believe it and didn't prepare for it. They knew all our signals and the rest is history. Apparently, people were p***** off at Taylor after the game for that reason. Fwiw.

This sounds recycled, with the name of the oc changed.

Mormon Red Death
11-25-2017, 07:00 PM
This sounds recycled, with the name of the oc changed.https://twitter.com/thebrianswinney/status/934490248381308928

chrisrenrut
11-25-2017, 09:22 PM
I know Sancho won’t agree, but it’s nice to see Stanford beating Notre Dame.

sancho
11-26-2017, 07:45 AM
I know Sancho won’t agree, but it’s nice to see Stanford beating Notre Dame.

I have no idea why you care about this, especially in a year like where the Pac is out of the playoff. Nobody saw or cared about that game yesterday.

chrisrenrut
11-26-2017, 07:58 AM
I have no idea why you care about this, especially in a year like where the Pac is out of the playoff. Nobody saw or cared about that game yesterday.

I have never liked the special treatment Notre Dame gets, going back to the BCS days. They are treated as unique and elite, and I like to see them get knocked down a notch.

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-26-2017, 09:49 AM
Todd Graham official. What have the Sun Devils done to think they deserve better than 7-5 when it includes an $11M buyout?

NorthwestUteFan
11-26-2017, 09:53 AM
After finishing 7-5?Yup.

Applejack
11-26-2017, 10:45 AM
I have never liked the special treatment Notre Dame gets, going back to the BCS days. They are treated as unique and elite, and I like to see them get knocked down a notch.

Notre Dame and Stanford think they are really important. Nice that somebody has to lose

Mormon Red Death
11-26-2017, 06:59 PM
Wow, 7-5 and 2nd in the division. Do they have someone in mind?They are going for chip Kelly... if not him dennis Erickson

Utah
12-04-2017, 12:02 PM
So, anyone want to argue scheduling up OOC anymore or the virtues of a 9 game conference schedule?

Ha ha. Once again old uncle Utah was right.

Every conference champ with an 8 game conf schedule has made the playoffs.

40% if conference champs with a 9 game conf schedule have made the playoffs.

https://twitter.com/picksixpreviews/status/937744180369125376

Smart teams, Alabama/Washington, schedule down.

Not smart teams, USC and Stanford, schedule up and miss the playoffs.

Utah
12-04-2017, 12:05 PM
For the record, I think two rules should be in place:

- No playoff team can have played a G5 or FCS team after Nov 1.

- No playoff team can play less than 10 P5 schools (not counting conference championship).

Those two rules would even out the playing field really fast.

Until then, schedule down.

concerned
12-04-2017, 12:10 PM
So, anyone want to argue scheduling up OOC anymore or the virtues of a 9 game conference schedule?

Ha ha. Once again old uncle Utah was right.

Every conference champ with an 8 game conf schedule has made the playoffs.

40% if conference champs with a 9 game conf schedule has made the playoffs.

https://twitter.com/picksixpreviews/status/937744180369125376

Smart teams, Alabama/Washington, schedule down.

Not smart teams, USC and Stanford, schedule up and miss the playoffs.

Yep. It sends the wrong message. I would have voted for OSU for scheduling Oklahoma and playing a 9 game conference schedule, even though it was destroyed at Iowa. Alabama played nobody, and didnt make its title game. Teams that played title games got punished, those that didnt--including UW--got rewarded.

However, Standford lost to USC twice and WSU once. It lost to SDSU; that is not scheduling up.

USC also lost to WSU and got destroyed at Notre Dame. Should they not schedle the Irish anymore?

Utah
12-04-2017, 01:05 PM
Yep. It sends the wrong message. I would have voted for OSU for scheduling Oklahoma and playing a 9 game conference schedule, even though it was destroyed at Iowa. Alabama played nobody, and didnt make its title game. Teams that played title games got punished, those that didnt--including UW--got rewarded.

However, Standford lost to USC twice and WSU once. It lost to SDSU; that is not scheduling up.

USC also lost to WSU and got destroyed at Notre Dame. Should they not schedle the Irish anymore?

I brought up Stanford in reference to the year they lost to Northwestern to start the year.

They missed the playoffs that year. Had they played SJSU instead, they would have been in.

concerned
12-04-2017, 01:11 PM
I brought up Stanford in reference to the year they lost to Northwestern to start the year.

They missed the playoffs that year. Had they played SJSU instead, they would have been in.

at the time they scheduled NW, they probably thought they were scheduling SJSU.

Utah
12-04-2017, 04:02 PM
at the time they scheduled NW, they probably thought they were scheduling SJSU.

Ha ha. True. Don’t risk it. Just schedule New Mexico.

NorthwestUteFan
12-04-2017, 10:19 PM
Nope. Schedule up every year. Make it interesting.

Looking at our OOC, we already need to schedule up quite a bit before our opponents are on par with teams that 'schedule down'. We would need to go undefeated to even be considered for the CFP, and any more than a close loss to a top 10 team will likely keep us out of NY6 games.

Our OOC schedule is already hopelessly weak as it is.

concerned
12-15-2017, 12:10 PM
Sure looks like ASU screwed the pooch. What a mess.

LA Ute
12-18-2017, 02:21 PM
From Jon Wilner's email update today:

Pac-12 has signed a satellite radio agreement to create the 'SiriusXM Pac-12 Radio' channel, the conference announced this morning. It’s 24/7 news, talk (call-in shows) and game coverage of the conference that's scheduled to launch in early 2018. It will be available on the Sirius XM app and on channel 373 on select satellite radios. (Hmmmm. Not quite sure what 'select' means.) It seems like good news for fans with long commutes and satellite radio. But how will the call-in show field complaints about the Pac-12 Networks? Should be interesting. — Jon Wilner.

I will probably listen to this often.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-17-2018, 12:01 AM
Washington State’s QBs was found dead today with a self inflicted gun shot wound. Suicide is awful. For everyone involved. My wife’s biological father shot himself i. Front of my MIL’s house about six years ago after she had kicked him out for blowing up in the middle of my daughter’s third birthday party. Then my wife’s sister’s fiancé intentionally drove his car into the side of a mountain near the mouth of Parley’s Canyon on Christmas Day about four years ago.

I hate it. I hate that it has seemed like a viable solution to several people close to me. Those who have attempted it, and those who fortunately have yet to.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-17-2018, 12:03 AM

Applejack
01-17-2018, 12:44 AM

So tragic.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-17-2018, 08:32 AM
When rivaling goes a few hundred steps too far. 😶

LA Ute
01-17-2018, 09:52 AM
When rivaling goes a few hundred steps too far. 😶

Has he had the decency to take the tweet down?

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-17-2018, 10:26 AM
Has he had the decency to take the tweet down?

Last I saw of it, he was defending and doubling down. "Sorry for not being politically correct." Because the definition of that now apparently means: being a dick.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-17-2018, 06:00 PM
The day after his brother's suicide, little brother gets an offer from Utah.

LA Ute
01-17-2018, 06:45 PM
Last I saw of it, he was defending and doubling down. "Sorry for not being politically correct." Because the definition of that now apparently means: being a dick.

I've been trying to find words. Can't do it.

hostile
01-17-2018, 08:11 PM
I've been trying to find words. Can't do it.
As Dwight indicates, “dick” is an appropriate place to start. What a moron.

LA Ute
01-17-2018, 09:58 PM
Heartless, soulless nincompoop.

concerned
01-18-2018, 10:18 AM
Wilner early division race predictions:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/01/18/never-too-early-projecting-the-pac-12-division-races-in-2018-could-this-be-arizonas-year/

The good: have Wilner's other contenders--USC and UA--at home. The bad; still no Cal or OSU for another year, and 5 road games.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-29-2018, 02:49 PM
Yikes.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180129/0facf22d6f1b19ea1ff55f6b258fbf64.jpg

Diehard Ute
01-29-2018, 03:09 PM
Yikes.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180129/0facf22d6f1b19ea1ff55f6b258fbf64.jpg

People aren’t happy.

After the announcement the USC band started playing the only song they know....a fan shouted from the back that he wasn’t cheering for that.

U-Ute
01-29-2018, 09:02 PM
RIP Traveler.

U-Ute
02-01-2018, 12:47 PM
This thread is brilliant.

SoCalPat
04-25-2018, 09:27 AM
Arizona State schedules H-H with Mississippi State, beginning in 2024, with ASU hosting first.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/mississippi-state-arizona-state-schedule-first-meeting-in-upcoming-home-and-home-series/

Dwight Schr-Ute
05-04-2018, 09:58 AM
New Oregon State coaches making an early impression. Get busted sending recruiting letters to current University of Hawaii players. To their campus addresses. Get called out on Twitter by the UH head coach. Who also happened to tag the NCAA. And Lavar Ball. Because.

tooblue
05-15-2018, 01:57 PM
Cracks are forming in the Pac-12: Will they be patched before it's too late?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/cracks-are-forming-in-the-pac-12-will-they-be-patched-before-its-too-late/

Is it time to start calling it the Power Four? Now four years into the College Football Playoff era and 20 years since the Bowl Championship Series started, the Pac-12 has the Power Five's fewest total appearances (five).

sancho
05-15-2018, 02:55 PM

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/cracks-are-forming-in-the-pac-12-will-they-be-patched-before-its-too-late/

They write this article every year about one of the P5 conferences. Three years ago, they wrote it about the ACC. The past two years, they wrote it about the Big12. Guess it's our turn.

LA Ute
05-15-2018, 04:19 PM

This might be helpful to you:

Treating hyperventilation

It’s important to try to stay calm in acute cases of hyperventilation. It may be helpful to have someone with you to coach you through the episode. The goal of treatment during an episode is to increase carbon dioxide levels in your body and work to slow your breathing rate.

Home care

You can try some immediate techniques to help treat acute hyperventilation:

Breathe through pursed lips.
Breathe slowly into a paper bag or cupped hands.
Attempt to breathe into your belly (diaphragm) rather than your chest.
Hold your breath for 10 to 15 seconds at a time.

You can also try alternate nostril breathing. This involves covering your mouth and alternating breathing through each nostril. For instance, with mouth covered, close the right nostril and breathe in through the left. Then alternate by closing the left nostril and breathing in through the right. Repeat this pattern until breathing has returned to normal.
Some people may find that vigorous exercise, such as a brisk walk or jog, while breathing in and out of your nose, helps with hyperventilation.

Stress reduction

If you have hyperventilation syndrome, you will want to figure out what is causing it. If you suffer from anxiety or stress (https://www.healthline.com/health/stress), you may want to see a psychologist to help you understand and treat your condition. Learning stress reduction and breathing techniques will help to control your condition.

Acupuncture

Acupuncture may also be an effective treatment for hyperventilation syndrome. Acupuncture is an alternative treatment based on ancient Chinese medicine. It involves placing thin needles into areas of the body to promote healing. One preliminary study (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1755-5949.2011.00254.x/full) found that acupuncture helped reduce anxiety and the severity of hyperventilation.

Medication

Depending on the severity, your doctor may also prescribe medication. Examples of medications for hyperventilation include:

alprazolam (https://www.healthline.com/drugs/alprazolam/oral-tablet) (Xanax)
doxepin (https://www.healthline.com/drugs/doxepin/oral-capsule) (Silenor)
paroxetine (https://www.healthline.com/drugs/paroxetine/oral-tablet) (Paxil)

https://www.healthline.com/symptom/hyperventilation

tooblue
05-15-2018, 04:36 PM
This might be helpful to you:

https://www.healthline.com/symptom/hyperventilation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdT4a3kdLTg

U-Ute
05-22-2018, 11:06 AM
Jon Wilner on why the Arizona Schools won't jump ship.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/05/22/answering-the-latest-expansion-buzz-why-the-arizona-schools-wont-join-the-big-12/

Dwight Schr-Ute
06-04-2018, 02:34 PM
PAC-12 has made a rule that you have to win 6 games to accept a bowl invitation.

https://www.thescore.com/ncaaf/news/1553879?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

sancho
06-07-2018, 09:17 AM

No more MWC in Vegas Bowl.

Sullyute
06-07-2018, 10:41 AM

No more MWC in Vegas Bowl.

Depending on when the game is played, it could be a premier bowl game (closer to New Year’s Day) or still stink (before Christmas)

SoCalPat
06-11-2018, 10:14 AM
Depending on when the game is played, it could be a premier bowl game (closer to New Year’s Day) or still stink (before Christmas)

It's all about the money and the matchup. And putting this game in the Raiders' stadium will increase the former, and attract better candidates for the latter. As long as you have both, it doesn't matter when the game is played.

LA Ute
06-26-2018, 12:32 PM
This is disturbing and heart-breaking. This 21 year-old WSU QB had the brain of a 65 year-old. CTE again.

A College QB's Suicide. A Family's Search for Answers.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/06/26/tyler-hilinski-suicide-washington-state-qb-cte

concerned
06-26-2018, 01:36 PM
If anybody listens to Malcolm Gladwell's Revisionist History, his new season has a podcast titled "Burden of Proof" about suicide among college football players and CTE. It is really disturbing. He mentions Hilsinki in passing, but the focus in on other suicides.

LA Ute
06-26-2018, 02:42 PM
Seems to me that unless technology finds a solution, football as we know it is eventually going away.

concerned
06-26-2018, 02:51 PM
Seems to me that unless technology finds a solution, football as we know it is eventually going away.

I think so too. Gladwel's premise is that the correlation between playing football and CTE is about the same as the correlation between mining and black lung disease in 1918, or cigarettes and cancer in the 1960's. His question is "what is the burden of proof before correlation becomes causation?"

sancho
06-26-2018, 03:14 PM

Really sad. Football is such a great sport.

If it does go away, I can envision one of three replacements on campus:

1) Nothing replaces it. University athletics in general fade away.
2) Soccer becomes big.
3) E-sports become big.

The U should have a men's soccer team. It's a great sport, and it may be big someday. We just added lacrosse, which has no potential to become big as a spectator sport.

Sullyute
06-26-2018, 03:20 PM
If anybody listens to Malcolm Gladwell's Revisionist History, his new season has a podcast titled "Burden of Proof" about suicide among college football players and CTE. It is really disturbing. He mentions Hilsinki in passing, but the focus in on other suicides.

Fantastic podcast in general. I loved his McDonalds French fry episode.

UTEopia
07-03-2018, 05:42 PM
USA Today recently published the revenues and expenses of public University athletic departments. The Utes trailed everyone in the PAC except OSU and WSU and the differences there are the result of Utah getting about $12 mil in student fees and other school aid while OSU gets about 8 and WSU 5. The revenue category where the Utes lag the most is Contributions. Utah gets $9 mil. Cal and Arizona, who both have about $7mil more in revenues received $20 mil and $18 mil respectively. How can the Utes compete when the funding level is $30 - $40 mil per year less than the guys at the top?

LuckyUte
07-03-2018, 07:23 PM
USA Today recently published the revenues and expenses of public University athletic departments. The Utes trailed everyone in the PAC except OSU and WSU and the differences there are the result of Utah getting about $12 mil in student fees and other school aid while OSU gets about 8 and WSU 5. The revenue category where the Utes lag the most is Contributions. Utah gets $9 mil. Cal and Arizona, who both have about $7mil more in revenues received $20 mil and $18 mil respectively. How can the Utes compete when the funding level is $30 - $40 mil per year less than the guys at the top?

Not sure if any of you saw this article, but it lays out the situation for WSU and their deficit spending and how it is affecting the University as a whole.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2018/06/28/college-football-overspending-catching-up-these-big-time-schools/736222002/

PULLMAN, Wash. – A few weeks before the football season last August, a Washington State University vice president sent an urgent message to the athletic director. The topic was deficit spending in the athletic department, which had ballooned to a cumulative debt to the university of $67 million. “Understand the magnitude of the problem,” WSU vice president Stacy Pearson wrote in an e-mail to Bill Moos, WSU’s athletic director last year. “Athletics has by far the largest cumulative deficit than all other campus areas combined. … The entire University has to work to reduce this deficit, and it can't be done if Athletics continues to spend millions into deficit each year. I obviously have come to understand your challenges, but you simply must make progress to reduce these deficits.”

LA Ute
07-11-2018, 09:25 AM
Fascinating Dan Sorensen article about how Utah joined the PAC-12:

The Right Fit: An Oral History of How Utah Joined the Pac-12

https://247sports.com/college/utah/Article/The-Right-Fit-An-Oral-History-of-How-Utah-Joined-the-Pac-12-119713965/

This will be important for historians who are looking back at these events.

sancho
07-11-2018, 09:48 AM
Fascinating Dan Sorensen article about how Utah joined the PAC-12:

The Right Fit: An Oral History of How Utah Joined the Pac-12

https://247sports.com/college/utah/Article/The-Right-Fit-An-Oral-History-of-How-Utah-Joined-the-Pac-12-119713965/

This will be important for historians who are looking back at these events.

Nothing new, but it's a nice summary. Utah was just the perfect fit in all three categories - athletically, academically, and geographically.

DrumNFeather
07-11-2018, 10:04 AM
Nothing new, but it's a nice summary. Utah was just the perfect fit in all three categories - athletically, academically, and geographically.

AND Chris Hill deserves a lot of credit...per Michael Young!

Sullyute
07-11-2018, 10:28 AM
I liked that the only requirements/stipulations the PAC12 had for Utah to come in was the staggered share the first few years and playing on Sunday.

LA Ute
07-11-2018, 11:15 AM
AND Chris Hill deserves a lot of credit...per Michael Young!

Summon Seattle Ute!

Dwight Schr-Ute
07-25-2018, 08:08 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180725/78ece4cf6d10b7f88313eabeb5877727.jpg

Sullyute
07-25-2018, 11:28 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180725/78ece4cf6d10b7f88313eabeb5877727.jpg

I am glad to see a little respect coming to Utah. I hope we live up to the hype and then some.

PS- who is the UCLA/Chip Kelly homer that gave them the one PAC12 conference champion vote?

concerned
07-25-2018, 04:34 PM
I am glad to see a little respect coming to Utah. I hope we live up to the hype and then some.

PS- who is the UCLA/Chip Kelly homer that gave them the one PAC12 conference champion vote?

it always seems to me that when we have hype, and I expect us to do well, we fall flat. When I have no expectations, we exceed them, sometimes dramatically. Now we have hype. This has me concerned, of course.

snafu
07-25-2018, 05:23 PM
it always seems to me that when we have hype, and I expect us to do well, we fall flat. When I have no expectations, we exceed them, sometimes dramatically. Now we have hype. This has me concerned, of course.

There have been a couple of years previously that we were expected to do well and we ended up finishing with 3-6 conference records. Your fear is certainly warranted. The pressure that comes with expectations isn't something we handle very well. I do think if we can have some luck with avoiding injuries we will have a good year. Also, if we can avoid day games at home that would be nice. Aside from a couple of unimpressive wins against lowly CU, we are 0-7 in day games at home over the last 5 seasons. Many of these games were horrible blowouts.

LA Ute
07-25-2018, 08:00 PM

Spot on. I will have Utes Fan PTSD for the rest of my days.

sancho
07-26-2018, 09:58 AM
There have been a couple of years previously that we were expected to do well and we ended up finishing with 3-6 conference records. Your fear is certainly warranted. The pressure that comes with expectations isn't something we handle very well. I do think if we can have some luck with avoiding injuries we will have a good year. Also, if we can avoid day games at home that would be nice. Aside from a couple of unimpressive wins against lowly CU, we are 0-7 in day games at home over the last 5 seasons. Many of these games were horrible blowouts.

I think part of the deal is that blowouts have been rare. Most of our conference games are close. There is a tightrope walking act that can leave us anywhere from 3-6 to 7-2. We can have teams of comparable quality finish in vastly different places in the conference.

I think we have a good team this season - a team that could win the south. A handful of little things goes wrong, though, and we aren't even bowl eligible. One key thing for a successful season is that we get good at burying inferior opponents. Leave nothing to chance in those games that we really should win. That's kind of counter to our style, but it has to happen.

U-Ute
07-30-2018, 09:47 PM

Even more questionable: who gave CU one?

U-Ute
08-31-2018, 12:21 PM
I wonder what Jack Sears is thinking now.

concerned
08-31-2018, 01:30 PM
I wonder what Jack Sears is thinking now.

"Where can i transfer to, and when do I have to leave by to keep my eligibility"

sancho
09-01-2018, 05:14 PM
UW shoots themselves in the feet one too many times, and a crucial missed targeting call in the 4th quarter seals the deal. Would have been nice to have a 2-0 UW in SLC in two weeks.

NorthwestUteFan
09-01-2018, 05:46 PM
I wish the Huskies won but I'm glad that pick play got called as an offensive PI.

sancho
09-01-2018, 06:07 PM
I wish the Huskies won but I'm glad that pick play got called as an offensive PI.

Yeah, that one was clear. I still think it's worth running that play; it gets called so infrequently.

Applejack
09-01-2018, 07:44 PM
UCLA struggling with Cincinnati. I love it!

sancho
09-01-2018, 08:20 PM
UCLA struggling with Cincinnati. I love it!

Gutsy 'cats. Up 2 with 2 minutes to go, they go for it on 4th and goal. Fortune favors the bold!

Applejack
09-01-2018, 08:21 PM
Gutsy 'cats. Up 2 with 2 minutes to go, they go for it on 4th and goal. Fortune favors the bold!

And UCLA helped out with a stupid substitution penalty when Cincy was lined up for a fg. Sometimes, fortune favors the team that's not stupid.

U-Ute
09-02-2018, 09:09 PM
USC gives up 308 rushing yards to the REEEEE-BELS!

sancho
09-04-2018, 11:34 AM
Wilner's power rankings:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/09/04/power-ratings-week-one-wasnt-half-bad-for-the-pac-12-at-least-compared-to-the-acc-and-big-12/

5. Utah (1-0)
Result: Beat Weber State 41-10
Next up: at Northern Illinois
Comment: Dangerous game this week with Washington around the corner, but this is not the Northern Illinois team of a few years ago. The Huskies were thumped by Iowa in Week One.

U-Ute
09-04-2018, 12:35 PM
Arizona offensive line has some "unique" blocking techniques.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-06-2018, 01:50 PM
Oregon State will no longer be scheduling good teams.

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/06/after-getting-beat-77-31-by-ohio-state-oregon-state-no-longer-going-to-schedule-good-teams/

U-Ute
09-06-2018, 02:35 PM
Oregon State will no longer be scheduling good teams.

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/06/after-getting-beat-77-31-by-ohio-state-oregon-state-no-longer-going-to-schedule-good-teams/

They're moving to FCS?

l0HlUxUu3CqVAbees

NorthwestUteFan
09-06-2018, 06:35 PM
Oregon State has H-H games with both Oklahoma State and Purdue coming in the next few years. Utah's future OOC schedule is embarrassingly bad, if not laughable, by comparison.

We do appear to have schedule openings at the same time as Iowa about 4 years out, so hopefully we can do something there.

sancho
09-22-2018, 07:55 PM
Justin Herbert, 11-12 in the first half. Just carving up Stanford.

Applejack
09-22-2018, 09:14 PM
USC beats wazzu; Arizona beats the beabers; and uw is struggling with asu?

What an awful bye week.

sancho
09-22-2018, 09:39 PM
USC beats wazzu; Arizona beats the beabers; and uw is struggling with asu?

What an awful bye week.

And Oregon gives away an insurmountable lead. Stinks to see Stanford win, but it is comforting in a weird way to see someone else with a massive choke job.

SoCalPat
09-22-2018, 09:50 PM
And Oregon gives away an insurmountable lead. Stinks to see Stanford win, but it is comforting in a weird way to see someone else with a massive choke job.

Game of the Year in college football so far. Stanford had no business winning that game, but some really horrific decision making at key points in that game gave them life. I never feel bad when Oregon loses. That they lost in such idiotic, moronic fashion to the smart kids was even more glorious.

sancho
09-24-2018, 03:41 PM
to the smart kids was even more glorious.

Did you hear Chris Fowler say that teams "wear down against Stanford's intellectual brutality"? I almost spit out my Coke.

sancho
09-24-2018, 03:43 PM
I'm sure we all saw replays of the blatant, obvious targeting by Porter Gustin of USC that went uncalled.

This rule is a complete joke and an insult.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-25-2018, 10:31 PM
I'm sure we all saw replays of the blatant, obvious targeting by Porter Gustin of USC that went uncalled.

This rule is a complete joke and an insult.

Welcome to Trump’s America.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180926/d42e29e122dd57210028bcfcc8687f70.jpg

LA Ute
09-26-2018, 04:55 AM
Welcome to Trump’s America.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180926/d42e29e122dd57210028bcfcc8687f70.jpg

I don’t know. I think George W. Bush shares a lot of the blame for this.