PDA

View Full Version : The Trojans, the Ducks, the Bruins, and all those guys: The PAC-12 rivals thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

LA Ute
09-28-2018, 09:51 PM
I’m in a hotel, because I need to work out of town Saturday morning, and I am watching the Colorado-UCLA game. Colorado is looking pretty good. That might be deceptive, because UCLA seems to be pretty bad, but I think Colorado might give us all we can handle this year.

SoCalPat
09-29-2018, 12:09 AM
Did you hear Chris Fowler say that teams "wear down against Stanford's intellectual brutality"? I almost spit out my Coke.

Well, that’s a little over the top. Surprised Fowler was the author of that line.

LA Ute
09-29-2018, 05:34 AM
Well, that’s a little over the top. Surprised Fowler was the author of that line.

He may have been joking. If so, it is kind of funny.

Applejack
10-09-2018, 12:10 PM
Since we are now in the Pac-12 South hunt, let's track who we want to win this week:

Utah over UofA. Duh.
Washington vs. Oregon. Who cares? This is a pac-12 North battle.
Cal over UCLA. I know, UCLA is out of the picture (well, not yet) and you don't want them to be winless before Utah comes to the Rose bowl. But, we ALWAYS want South-North battles to go to the north when we are not playing and we ALWAYS like to see UCLA suffer.
Colorado over USC. Surprised? Don't be. We need USC to lose any game possible. Have you seen their schedule? They avoid Washington AND Oregon?!?!?!!? They already got blown out be Stanford so realistically this is one of the most likely losses for them left on their schedule.

concerned
10-09-2018, 01:40 PM
Since we are now in the Pac-12 South hunt, let's track who we want to win this week:

Utah over UofA. Duh.
Washington vs. Oregon. Who cares? This is a pac-12 North battle.
Cal over UCLA. I know, UCLA is out of the picture (well, not yet) and you don't want them to be winless before Utah comes to the Rose bowl. But, we ALWAYS want South-North battles to go to the north when we are not playing and we ALWAYS like to see UCLA suffer.
Colorado over USC. Surprised? Don't be. We need USC to lose any game possible. Have you seen their schedule? They avoid Washington AND Oregon?!?!?!!? They already got blown out be Stanford so realistically this is one of the most likely losses for them left on their schedule.

We want UCLA to beat Cal because we could be competing with Cal for a bowl slot.

Scorcho
10-09-2018, 02:31 PM
We want UCLA to beat Cal because we could be competing with Cal for a bowl slot.

I wouldn't think Cal would win the North and challenge us for a shot at the Rose Bowl, but you never know? ;)

sancho
10-09-2018, 03:00 PM

You are likely right, but the real answer here is that we don't know who to root for. CU certainly has a tougher schedule than USC. On the other hand, if USC beats CU this weekend, we control our own destiny for the south.

Scorcho
10-09-2018, 03:18 PM
You are likely right, but the real answer here is that we don't know who to root for. CU certainly has a tougher schedule than USC. On the other hand, if USC beats CU this weekend, we control our own destiny for the south.

what I think will happen to Colorado when Utah plays them

https://www.mwcboard.com/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=https://media.giphy.com/media/1wqqlaQ7IX3TXibXZE/giphy.gif&key=a6feb7da1ec44a8a882c28bcee1a7a71527bf91310c56f 3710d96e79082b102f

chrisrenrut
10-09-2018, 03:29 PM

https://www.mwcboard.com/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=https://media.giphy.com/media/1wqqlaQ7IX3TXibXZE/giphy.gif&key=a6feb7da1ec44a8a882c28bcee1a7a71527bf91310c56f 3710d96e79082b102f

Lol! I can’t stop watching that. I gotta go buy my wife a turtleneck now.

sancho
10-09-2018, 03:35 PM

And I'll be there to see it!

Anyone else going to Boulder this year? D'n'F?

sancho
10-11-2018, 08:07 AM
Evidence of actual corruption in Pac 12 officiating...to the surprise of no one.

Mormon Red Death
10-11-2018, 08:47 AM
Evidence of actual corruption in Pac 12 officiating...to the surprise of no one.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24957593/third-party-pac-12-instant-replay-command-center-influenced-non-targeting-call-usc-washington-state-game-report

Sullyute
10-11-2018, 10:11 AM
I don’t follow other conferences officiating but it seems that PAC12 officiating has been a joke for ever. Even back in the Mountain West days, I hated having PAC12 refs as they seemed to always favor the other team (I am sure every fan feels that way).

sancho
10-14-2018, 04:39 PM
Way too early for this, but I'm day dreaming. The following teams control their own destiny in the south:

USC at 3-1
Utah at 2-2

The other four teams can still tie for the division lead but lose tiebreakers:

Colorado at 2-1 has a loss to USC
Arizona at 2-2 has losses to USC and Utah
UCLA at 1-2 has a loss to Colorado
ASU at 2-2 has a loss to Colorado

UCLA lost to UW by just a TD last week, and they easily beat Cal yesterday. Sure would have been nice to play them at the beginning of the season when they were awful instead of on a short week on the road when they are good.

USC looked like USC last night. Athletic, strong, fast at every position...except RB. That was the key difference. The WR's are pretty scary, though. The freshman QB looked like a star freshman - plenty of bad throws, some really bad decisions, and a few perfect plays. Hopefully, Gustin is out on Sat.

sancho
10-14-2018, 07:11 PM
Hopefully, Gustin is out on Sat.

It's official - Gustin out for the season.

sancho
10-16-2018, 10:10 AM
It's official - Gustin out for the season.

And Penei Sewell out for Oregon with ankle sprain. He might miss his Utah homecoming game.

Applejack
10-16-2018, 01:35 PM
Too bad Penei and Gustin will be on the sidelines for their homecomings. They should ask Gabe Reid about the experience.

* They should not contact Ty Jones.

LA Ute
10-20-2018, 07:48 AM
This is a fun read:

Yahoo Sports exclusive: WSU's Mike Leach called out Pac-12 officiating via text after controversial USC game

https://sports.yahoo.com/yahoo-sports-exclusive-wsus-mike-leach-called-pac-12-officiating-via-text-controversial-usc-game-044605525.html

It’s by Pete Thamel, who’s no slouch as a writer.

Diehard Ute
10-20-2018, 08:40 AM
This is a fun read:

Yahoo Sports exclusive: WSU's Mike Leach called out Pac-12 officiating via text after controversial USC game

https://sports.yahoo.com/yahoo-sports-exclusive-wsus-mike-leach-called-pac-12-officiating-via-text-controversial-usc-game-044605525.html

I’m really not sure why Larry Scott is still employed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sancho
10-20-2018, 08:51 AM
This is a fun read:

The freedom of information act is a little creepy.

Coaches should know better, though.

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-20-2018, 09:48 AM
The freedom of information act is a little creepy.

Coaches should know better, though.

Knowing Mike Leach, he very likely did know better. It wouldn’t surprise in the least if he sent the texts with full intention of them becoming public. Great way to get your point across while avoiding the fine.

LA Ute
10-20-2018, 11:09 AM
I’m really not sure why Larry Scott is still employed.

I think it's just a matter of time.

LA Ute
10-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Knowing Mike Leach, he very likely did know better. It wouldn’t surprise in the least if he sent the texts with full intention of them becoming public. Great way to get your point across while avoiding the fine.

I have no doubt that is exactly what he was doing. He is a smart, cagy guy.

NorthwestUteFan
10-20-2018, 12:15 PM
Happy to see him put that Pepperdine education to use.

SoCalPat
10-24-2018, 09:06 PM

I've said this before, I'll say it again: We should all thank our lucky stars BYU can't hire Leach as HC.

chrisrenrut
10-24-2018, 09:10 PM
Cameron Smith not likely to play for USC against ASU due to knee issues. It would be a big help if ASU could pull out the win Saturday. I’m not too proud to win the south with 3 losses and a tie breaker.

Applejack
10-25-2018, 07:11 AM
Cameron Smith not likely to play for USC against ASU due to knee issues. It would be a big help if ASU could pull out the win Saturday. I’m not too proud to win the south with 3 losses and a tie breaker.

Given the remaining schedules, this is uscs best chance to lose. And with our schedule, I think the odds of us running the table are slim.

Go people of the sun!

sancho
10-27-2018, 05:13 PM
Well, how about that?

CU loses to OSU, and USC loses to ASU. All of sudden, we are alone in 1st.

Applejack
10-27-2018, 05:38 PM
Well, how about that?

CU loses to OSU, and USC loses to ASU. All of sudden, we are alone in 1st.

Lol, cu lost to the beavs? At home? I didn't even check that one because I assumed they won by 30.

Applejack
10-27-2018, 06:50 PM
Jake Browning benched against Cal for ineffectiveness! Chaos in the pac-12! I love it!

:jig:

Applejack
10-27-2018, 06:52 PM
Jake Browning benched against Cal for ineffectiveness! Chaos in the pac-12! I love it!

And the backup with a pick 6¡!!!!!!!!

Applejack
10-27-2018, 07:17 PM
And the backup with a pick 6¡!!!!!!!!

Now he's switched back to Browning. The great Chris Petersen doesn't look so good today.

hostile
10-27-2018, 07:42 PM
Now he's switched back to Browning. The great Chris Petersen doesn't look so good today.
Cal wins!

sancho
10-27-2018, 07:46 PM
Lol, cu lost to the beavs? At home? I didn't even check that one because I assumed they won by 30.

CU was up 31-3, and the Beavers came back to win in OT.

Applejack
10-27-2018, 07:58 PM
I really wanted to play UW again this season. I wanted revenge, and I thought we could take it. I also want WSU revenge, but I'm not as confident in taking it. I also worry about a Stanford rematch because it seemed they really figured our defense out in the 2nd half.

Lol @chrisp. You gave that one away.

Sullyute
10-29-2018, 08:33 PM
Apparently USC fired their line coach and Helton has taken over offensive play calling going forward. All is not well in Troy.

U-Ute
10-30-2018, 08:11 AM
Apparently USC fired their line coach and Helton has taken over offensive play calling going forward. All is not well in Troy.

Anyone else and I might almost feel sorry for them.

SeattleUte
10-30-2018, 09:57 AM
I really wanted to play UW again this season. I wanted revenge, and I thought we could take it. I also want WSU revenge, but I'm not as confident in taking it. I also worry about a Stanford rematch because it seemed they really figured our defense out in the 2nd half.

If UW wins out, which is not at all far-fetched, it will win the North. If I were betting, I'd still pick the Huskies.

Applejack
10-30-2018, 11:12 AM
If UW wins out, which is not at all far-fetched, it will win the North. If I were betting, I'd still pick the Huskies.

Even with that trigger happy doofus as coach?

Mormon Red Death
11-17-2018, 09:19 PM
Oregon is bipolar. They look unbeatable at times, and they look completely hopeless at times. I want the hopeless version on Sat.14-3 for oregon in the second quarter

Sullyute
11-17-2018, 09:55 PM
14-3 for oregon in the second quarter

Oregon scores again. Things are looking good for Utah. [fingers crossed]

chrisrenrut
11-17-2018, 10:36 PM
WSU puts up 55 on Arizona. . . In the first half!

Lets go Ducks! Finish strong!

Diehard Ute
11-18-2018, 12:02 AM
Oregon seems to have no desire to win this game.

Diehard Ute
11-18-2018, 12:12 AM
Oregon only has one run play in the playbook to kill time.

UTEopia
11-18-2018, 01:31 PM
McIntyre out at CU. Jeff Tedford, who has done a nice rebuilding job at Fresno, would be an interesting hire.

SoCalPat
11-18-2018, 03:57 PM
McIntyre out at CU. Jeff Tedford, who has done a nice rebuilding job at Fresno, would be an interesting hire.

I will be shocked if Tedford isn’t hired by CU or USC. A proven winner in this league and a known commodity among California high school coaches.

LA Ute
11-19-2018, 08:05 AM
Here is a USC player outright punching a UCLA player in last weekend‘s game. I hear that Helton’s not good at enforcing discipline. (What is he good at?)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/uscs-brandon-pili-somehow-avoids-ejection-after-throwing-vicious-punch/ar-BBPOyMj?li=BBnb4R7

chrisrenrut
11-19-2018, 08:50 AM
Here is a USC player outright punching a UCLA player in last weekend‘s game. I hear that Helton’s not good at enforcing discipline. (What is he good at?)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/uscs-brandon-pili-somehow-avoids-ejection-after-throwing-vicious-punch/ar-BBPOyMj?li=BBnb4R7

Jaylon Johnson got away with one in our game as well.

Sullyute
11-19-2018, 09:12 AM
Jaylon Johnson got away with one in our game as well.

He did it in front of two referees, so they clearly didn’t think it was much of a punch.

LA Ute
11-19-2018, 10:09 AM
Or, they are incompetent. We have some body of evidence to support this alternative explanation.

:rofl:

Applejack
11-24-2018, 01:46 PM
Who to cheer for this week:

A lot of tough decisions. We wanted wazzu and Oregon State, but alas.

UCLA v Stanford: I think we want the bruins. Their season is in the crapper. But if they end their season on back to back wins against the Trojans and cardinal, they might have hope for next year. Still, always cheer against Stanford (Sancho's rule).
Asu v Arizona: easy call; with a win, Arizona becomes bowl eligible; thus, we want Arizona State to win.
Cal v Colorado: same. We want Cal to keep Colorado from bowling.
USC v Notre Dame: logic would say we want Notre Dame to keep USC from bowling. However, this list is not logical. Here a Notre Dame loss should keep them out of the playoffs, and while a win would enable USC to go bowling, their recruiting is not tied to acheiving bowl eligibility. Plus, a win might save helton.

hostile
11-25-2018, 01:03 PM
USC v Notre Dame: logic would say we want Notre Dame to keep USC from bowling. However, this list is not logical. Here a Notre Dame loss should keep them out of the playoffs, and while a win would enable USC to go bowling, their recruiting is not tied to acheiving bowl eligibility. Plus, a win might save helton.
Apparently losing by 7 is enough for Helton to maintain his job

chrisrenrut
11-25-2018, 01:47 PM
Apparently losing by 7 is enough for Helton to maintain his job

OCGreg on UF.N explained why he didn’t think they wouldn’t replace Helton this year:

Helton received a five-year extension 9 months ago, we have an interim President, large & multiple sexual assault settlements are coming, the E-Coli refurbishment is over budget, and why fire Helton only to hire Jack Del Rio - what difference would that make?

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-29-2018, 01:33 PM
Sounds like SC is going to get their first choice for a new OC. Could be trouble.

concerned
11-29-2018, 03:20 PM
Sounds like SC is going to get their first choice for a new OC. Could be trouble.

so much for my theory that a lame duck head coach would have trouble attracting qualified assts.

snafu
11-29-2018, 04:37 PM
Is USC really going to start throwing the ball 50 times per game? This seems like an odd fit.

LA Ute
11-29-2018, 05:15 PM
so much for my theory that a lame duck head coach would have trouble attracting qualified assts.

$$$$

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-29-2018, 05:25 PM
Matt Wells to Texas Tech is supposedly a done deal. It will be interesting to see where Utah State looks for his replacement. Seems like the obvious choice is Jay Hill or even promoting Yost. Does this move eventually trickle into the Utah program?

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-29-2018, 05:37 PM

NorthwestUteFan
11-29-2018, 06:18 PM
Is USC really going to start throwing the ball 50 times per game? This seems like an odd fit.TTU was very balanced and ran the ball a lot. They were about 55% pass 45% run, in terms of play calling. They had 350+ pass and 130+ rush per game. They were very potent, but just couldn't play Defense.

1068298424167088134It is a good thing we have depth at the DC position...

Rocker Ute
11-29-2018, 08:54 PM
Matt Wells to Texas Tech is supposedly a done deal. It will be interesting to see where Utah State looks for his replacement. Seems like the obvious choice is Jay Hill or even promoting Yost. Does this move eventually trickle into the Utah program?

It didn't used to be so, but actually I view USU as an upgrade from BYU (as long as they remain independent). They might want to put a feeler out to Sitake.

NorthwestUteFan
11-30-2018, 08:21 AM
Which also describes all the teams TTech has faced in the Kilngsbury tenure. Utah will be the best defense he's seen in...forever.I wish we had more Big 12 teams on the OOC schedule.

Applejack
12-06-2018, 04:20 PM
Caleb Wilson, tight end for UCLA and first team all pac 12, declares for the draft.

Let's keep them coming.

Sullyute
12-15-2018, 07:21 PM
ASU giving the PAC12 it’s first bowl loss this year. I think we expected that as ASU is pretty pedestrian without Harry.

chrisrenrut
12-26-2018, 01:26 PM
Herbert announces he is coming back to play for the Ducks next year. Here's to hoping it works out as well for him as it did Bryce Love.

concerned
12-26-2018, 01:54 PM
Herbert announces he is coming back to play for the Ducks next year. Here's to hoping it works out as well for him as it did Bryce Love.

its good for us, because we do not play Oregon in the regular season (nor does UCLA).

Applejack
12-27-2018, 07:04 AM
its good for us, because we do not play Oregon in the regular season (nor does UCLA).

Agreed. Here's to lots of ducks and trees sticking around this year.

SoCalPat
12-28-2018, 06:59 PM
I don't like Wazzu's chances at all tonight. Defenses have too much time to prepare, and Wazzu has scored 20, 17 and 12 points in its last three bowls -- all against P5 teams. Iowa State is probably better coached than Miami, Minnesota and Michigan State, and is used to seeing pass happy offenses in the Big 12. Cyclones in a rout.

LA Ute
12-28-2018, 08:36 PM
Watching the Washington State-Iowa State game, I’m reminded of how much unintended damage the targeting rule is causing. When the ball carrier is actually falling and the defender has already launched, how is the defender supposed to change direction in mid-air? I agree with Bill Riley that if the rule continues in force, the penalty should be something less than ejection. Maybe the guilty player should sit out for a period of time, like penalties in hockey.

SoCalPat
12-29-2018, 12:03 AM
I don't like Wazzu's chances at all tonight. Defenses have too much time to prepare, and Wazzu has scored 20, 17 and 12 points in its last three bowls -- all against P5 teams. Iowa State is probably better coached than Miami, Minnesota and Michigan State, and is used to seeing pass happy offenses in the Big 12. Cyclones in a rout.

This take didn’t age well. Good for Wazzu, and maybe for a day, the league can hold its gaze at something higher than floor level.

(EDIT: At least ISU covered!)

SeattleUte
12-31-2018, 04:16 PM
The Arizona State game and today have brought home to me that being an Oregon fan must be really frustrating. Super talented and super dumb team. And they’ve got to stop those cutesy hot dog calls that Chip used to do. They don’t work anymore.

NorthwestUteFan
12-31-2018, 04:21 PM
Did Aaron Roderick calls that last series for Oregon? Sheesh. 1st and 10 from own 30, up 1 pt, MSU with 3 TO remaining, and with 1:35 left. Lets run it up the middle three times, and then punt.
Ducks deserve to lose this one.

Scorcho
01-07-2019, 01:30 PM

well that didn't last long

https://twitter.com/JayGlazer/status/1082368611572887554

I’m hearing Kliff Kingsbury is interviewing with NFL teams, which likely means he has resigned as USC offensive coordinator. USC was blocking him from interviewing foe NFL head coaching openings

Scorcho
01-08-2019, 01:15 PM
This seems to be official now. Great news for us, I think. I wonder what would have happened if TTech had kept him. Would he still be NFL bound?

Classic college football story though. Tech gets too big for its britches and fires a coach who is immediately recognized as valuable by everyone outside of Lubbock.

hope its not bad news in that USC and Utah could potentially go after the same O.C.?

LA Ute
01-08-2019, 03:45 PM
Kingsbury is the new HC of the Arizona Cardinals. A 4-year deal. Hey, if you're going to coach a pro team you might as well do it in the NFL instead of at U$C.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25715541/arizona-cardinals-hire-kliff-kingsbury?fbclid=IwAR3cf5KwdXZ-0FPLghqnv74UtW1RMlkOqn04o5-zKJFfoKP-5ENJEwthjY4

concerned
01-09-2019, 10:49 AM
Kingsbury is the new HC of the Arizona Cardinals. A 4-year deal. Hey, if you're going to coach a pro team you might as well do it in the NFL instead of at U$C.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25715541/arizona-cardinals-hire-kliff-kingsbury?fbclid=IwAR3cf5KwdXZ-0FPLghqnv74UtW1RMlkOqn04o5-zKJFfoKP-5ENJEwthjY4

I saw a tweet yesterday that Kingbury's tenure at USC was 6-times longer than Majerus's.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-10-2019, 06:18 PM

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-11-2019, 02:26 PM
Announced today that Bryce Love tore his ACL in their bowl game. I still can’t believe Moss is coming back.

Old Standing ute
01-11-2019, 02:29 PM
That sucks--no good deed goes unpunished.

LA Ute
01-11-2019, 05:12 PM
Interesting data from Jon Wilner:

The bowl ratings breakdown

Ratings for bowl games typically don't occupy a place of prominence on the Hotline's radar, but this is not a typical winter. Over the coming months, conferences will finalize the bowl arrangements for the cycle of games beginning with the 2020 season.

The partnerships -- both existing and potential -- are based on a variety of factors, and we're not suggesting a single ratings point for any given game will impact the Pac-12's future lineup.

That said, the viewership numbers occupy a place on the broader canvass that influences decisions made by the bowls and their communities, the conferences and the TV networks.

With that in mind, and with the data culled from sportsmediawatch (an invaluable site), the Hotline compiled the ratings for the Pac-12 bowl games over the past three years.

Notes:
• Ratings not available for all games.
• I have included, at bottom, the conference's one-off matchups games, such as Utah in the Heart of Dallas Bowl in 2017 or the New Year’s Six matchups, in addition to all the contracted games.)

• Keep in mind that ratings can be impacted by competition.

Rose Bowl

2016: 8.6 rating/15.7 million (USC vs. Penn State)

2017: 13.7 rating/26.9 million (Georgia vs. Oklahoma/CFP)

2018: 8.9 rating/16.8 million (Washington vs. Ohio State)

Alamo Bowl

2016: 2.6 rating/4.6 million (Colorado vs. Oklahoma State)

2017: 2.5 rating/4.4 million (Stanford vs. TCU)

2018: 3.2 rating/5.5 million (Washington State vs. Iowa State)

Holiday Bowl

2016: 2.4 rating/4.0 million (Washington State vs. Minnesota)
2017: not available/1.6 million (Washington State vs. Michigan State)
2018: 0.9 rating/1.8 million (Utah vs. Northwestern)

Redbox Bowl

2016: 1.6 rating/2.6 million (Utah vs. Indiana)
2017: 1.7 rating/2.8 million (Arizona vs. Purdue)
2018: 2.3 rating/3.8 million (Oregon vs. Michigan State)

Sun Bowl

2016: 1.9 rating/2.9 million (Stanford vs. North Carolina)
2017: 1.5 rating/2.2 million (Arizona State vs. N.C. State)
2018: 1.8 rating/2.6 million (Stanford vs. Pittsburgh)

Las Vegas Bowl

2016: no Pac-12 participant
2017: 2.3 rating/3.8 million (Oregon vs. Boise State)
2018: 2.25 rating/3.3 million (Arizona State vs. Fresno State)

Cheez-It Bowl

2016: no Pac-12 participant
2017: not available/3.3 million (UCLA vs. Kansas State)
2018: 1.6 rating/2.7 million (Cal vs. TCU)

Peach Bowl/CFP

2016: 10.7 rating/19.3 million (Washington vs. Alabama)

Cotton Bowl/NY6
2017: 5.3 rating/9.5 million (USC vs. Ohio State)

Fiesta Bowl/NY6

2017: 5.7 rating/10.2 million (Washington vs. Penn State)

Heart of Dallas
2017: not available/2.2 million (Utah vs. West Virginia)

We'll have more on the Pac-12's postseason lineup as the discussions deepen and contracts are finalized over the winter and spring. — Jon Wilner

concerned
01-11-2019, 05:55 PM
Announced today that Bryce Love tore his ACL in their bowl game. I still can’t believe Moss is coming back.

Didn't he miss their bowl game? I think the injury happened in their last regular-season game

LA Ute
01-16-2019, 03:34 PM
From Jon Wilner’s Hotline:

Crow speaks, and we should listen
(But context is required)

Arizona State’s Michael Crow, one of the most influential presidents in the Pac-12 — and commissioner Larry Scott’s staunchest supporter within the CEO group — addressed a slew of hot-button issues in an interview with the Arizona Republic that was published Monday.

Not surprisingly, Crow echoed many of the talking points Scott has hit in recent months and was optimistic about the Pac-12’s future: “By my standard, we’re on track, we’re doing well, we’re making progress and we’re positioning ourselves for greatness going forward."

As you read Crow’s comments -- and everyone in the Hotline community should, whether you agree with Crow or not -- keep a few things in mind:
1) Crow has a personal stake in the success of Scott’s leadership and the conference's strategies, since he was a key member of the group that hired Scott and signed off on Scott's compensation and the Pac-12 Networks' business model.

To admit missteps -- to acknowledge the potential for anything other than "greatness" -- would be to call his own judgment into question.

2) When addressing the revenue gap between the Pac-12 and other Power Five conferences, Crow noted:

“Conference income is a tiny part of everybody’s income. It’s just a piece of everybody’s income.”

That’s easy for him to say.

Arizona State’s athletic department is heavily subsidized by central campus — to a greater extent than its conference peers — and therefore isn't nearly as reliant upon Pac-12 distributions as the other schools.

Per the financial database compiled by USA Today, a whopping 22 percent of the Sun Devils’ athletic revenue in 2016-17 came from student fees and university support ($22 million in support and fees on $101 million in revenue).

For Utah, that figure was 14.5 percent.
For Colorado, it was 13 percent.
For Arizona, it was 11 percent.
For Oregon State, it was 9 percent.
For Washington State, it was 8 percent.
For Cal, it was 4.3 percent.
(Oregon, UCLA and Washington were miniscule.)

I cannot emphasize this point enough: Because of its massive enrollment (70,000+), sprawling system of online classes and Crow's underwriting model, the Sun Devils' economic challenges don't square with the realities faced by most of their public school peers.
3) A few of Crow’s comments require context. For instance:

• “What somebody will be writing about three years from now or four years will be, 'How did the Pac-12 get ahead of us?’”

It’s actually six years until the Pac-12’s new media rights deal kicks in (2024-25), unless the conference renegotiates early, and six years is an eternity on the front lines.

And before the next agreement takes hold, the Big Ten, already a full lap ahead of the Pac-12 on the revenue front, will have a mammoth new deal of its own; and the SEC, already a half-lap ahead, will have a colossal mega-jackpot of a new agreement with CBS. (More on that in the Media Landscape section below.)

I’d argue that Crow is actually doing Scott and the conference a disservice by ratcheting up expectations.

• On the topic of content control, Crow notes that the Pac-12 has retained 100 percent ownership of its network while other conferences have partners (the Big Ten with Fox; the SEC and ACC with ESPN):

“Others have sold their networks to commercial entities and thereby have lost control of their networks and lost control of their scheduling and other things, and we have not.”

Well, yes and no. The Pac-12 Networks set the schedule for the content on the national and regional networks. But when it comes to the most valuable content, the content that pays the bills for the Olympics sports — the premium football and men’s basketball games — the Pac-12 has zero control over the scheduling.

In fact, it sold that control to Fox and ESPN for cold, hard cash, with Crow's approval.

Bottom line: It’s good when the presidents and chancellors speak, whether their opinions are popular or not. But perspective is important.

— Jon Wilner

LA Ute
01-18-2019, 01:21 PM
The latest from Wilner.

Thunderous news, from afar

The most significant offseason development in Pac-12 football, one could argue, does not actually involve a Pac-12 player, coach or team.

It’s not Justin Herbert returning to Oregon or Mel Tucker taking over in Boulder. It's not the players leaving early for the draft or the recruits arriving early for spring practice.

Nope, the development that could have the greatest long-haul impact unfolded earlier this week, 2,500 miles away: Tosh Lupoi is leaving the Alabama coaching staff and heading to the NFL.

The conference's top adversary on the recruiting trails — on the west coast recruiting trails — will no longer be wreaking havoc on the Pac-12 talent pipeline.

Lupoi, a former assistant at Cal and Washington, has been convincing top prospects to leave the west coast and move to Tuscaloosa for several years, thereby reducing the quantity of elite talent in the conference.

Consider his handiwork:

Signed

Class of 2016

Jonah Williams: 5-star OT from Folsom

Class of 2017

Najee Harris: 5-star RB from Antioch
Tua Tagovailoa: 5-star QB from Honolulu

Class of 2018

Cameron Lua: 4-star DE from Salt Lake City

Tommy Brown: 4-star OT from Santa Ana

Ale Kaho: 4-star ILB from Reno
Recruiting

Class of 2019

Henry To’oto’o: 4-star OLB from Concord

Class of 2020

Kendall Milton: 5-star TB from Clovis

Class of 2021

J.T. Tuimoloau: 5-star DT from Sammamish

According to 247sports, Lupoi was the No. 1 ranked recruiter in the country for the 2019 signing cycle, and he served as the Crimson Tide's lead man on eight of the nine players listed above (the exception: Jonah Williams, with whom Lupoi played a secondary role to Mario Cristobal)

Lupoi wasn't exactly free of controversy during his employment in the Pac-12, but the end result is indisputable: He has been one of the most successful recruiters in the sport this decade.
Make no mistake: Alabama will continue to recruit the west coast and should be respected, if not feared from Seattle to Honolulu to Phoenix and all points in between.

(The Tide, as the Hotline explained recently, smells Pac-12 blood.)

But Lupoi was a recruiting dynamo with deep west coast ties who was employed by a dynasty outside the footprint.

The Pac-12 football product, in dire need of good news -- and desperate to keep its top talents at home -- got a load of it with Lupoi's departure.

-- Jon Wilner.

UTEopia
01-20-2019, 09:34 AM
I've recently read a number of posts on the topic of USC becoming an Independent in football ala ND. Any real likelihood of this?

concerned
01-20-2019, 10:06 AM
I've recently read a number of posts on the topic of USC becoming an Independent in football ala ND. Any real likelihood of this?

I would hope that the Pac-12 would not let them remain in the conference for all other sports besides football. If not, they would have to get a scheduling agreement with the big 10 or the Big 12 has Notre Dame has with the ACC. Otherwise they face the same problem as BYU, which is filling out a schedule every year. The good news might be that they can replace us is BYU's annual rival and we could go our own way.

SoCalPat
01-28-2019, 02:42 PM

Posts from who?

LA Ute
02-24-2019, 09:24 PM
Pac-12 hires independent firm to review officiating

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/23/pac-12-hires-independent-firm-to-review-officiating/

sancho
02-26-2019, 11:57 AM
Wilner says there has been talk of a scheduling partnership between the Pac-12 and Big-12. That would be great. They've talked about crazy things like playing all OOC games against each other and playing a conference championship game against each other. Hopefully, this is an "aim high to hit the mark" kind of thing. Arranging 1-2 OOC games per season against the Big12 would be the kickstart towards smart scheduling that college football (and the P5 in particular) needs.

Mormon Red Death
02-26-2019, 12:42 PM
Wilner says there has been talk of a scheduling partnership between the Pac-12 and Big-12. That would be great. They've talked about crazy things like playing all OOC games against each other and playing a conference championship game against each other. Hopefully, this is an "aim high to hit the mark" kind of thing. Arranging 1-2 OOC games per season against the Big12 would be the kickstart towards smart scheduling that college football (and the P5 in particular) needs.

Agreed... I'd love to have 2 games scheduled against the Big12 every year.

Here's what I would do.

Football
H-H vs Big 12 --- Remaining 6 games in the PAC12 I'd auction off. "Hey BYU you can pay for two November games (one home one away) and 3 home and 3 away basketball games for $3 million"

Basketball
3H-3A vs Big 12

Utebiquitous
02-26-2019, 02:49 PM
A few years ago the league engaged in a conversation like this with the Big 10 that couldn't be worked out. I hope this one does. Even just a single game at home or on the road in both football and basketball would make a significant difference and generate even greater fan interest.

concerned
02-26-2019, 03:14 PM
A few years ago the league engaged in a conversation like this with the Big 10 that couldn't be worked out. I hope this one does. Even just a single game at home or on the road in both football and basketball would make a significant difference and generate even greater fan interest.

one of the reasons was the USC and Stanford did not want to give up their game against ND, and didnt want to be in the position of scheduling 2 tough big 10 games, or basically 3 tough OOC games. Maybe an issue here, too.

sancho
02-26-2019, 03:24 PM
one of the reasons was the USC and Stanford did not want to give up their game against ND, and didnt want to be in the position of scheduling 2 tough big 10 games, or basically 3 tough OOC games. Maybe an issue here, too.

I'm sure it will be, which is ridiculous. The USC/ND "rivalry" means nothing. It has does have history, though, which is more than the Stanford/ND "rivalry". It's so small minded to pass on something great to hold on to something so meh.

sancho
02-26-2019, 03:36 PM
I'm sure it will be, which is ridiculous. The USC/ND "rivalry" means nothing. It has does have history, though, which is more than the Stanford/ND "rivalry". It's so small minded to pass on something great to hold on to something so meh.

Wikipedia says Stanford and Notre Dame have met just 33 times total. They are separated by thousands of miles. Surely, this is a series that can end without harming college football, the pac-12, or either of the schools involved.

USC is the big one. Nobody really gets up for the USC/ND game. There's no geographical dimension to the rivalry. Losing that game would be a lot less tragic than losing CU/Nebraska, Pitt/PSU, or Texas/A&M. Unfortunately, though, USC has a lot of clout.

Utebiquitous
02-26-2019, 04:24 PM
Perhaps football cannot be worked out because of the "rivalries" USC and Stanford have but I hope that doesn't prevent a basketball conversation. I would love a couple of Big 12 games every season - a home and an away for example. You would think it could create relationships that may bleed into football where some of the programs begin playing each other regularly.

chrisrenrut
02-26-2019, 06:40 PM
Wikipedia says Stanford and Notre Dame have met just 33 times total. They are separated by thousands of miles. Surely, this is a series that can end without harming college football, the pac-12, or either of the schools involved.

USC is the big one. Nobody really gets up for the USC/ND game. There's no geographical dimension to the rivalry. Losing that game would be a lot less tragic than losing CU/Nebraska, Pitt/PSU, or Texas/A&M. Unfortunately, though, USC has a lot of clout.

The conference should just move ahead with plans, and let Stanford and USC decide what is more important, the ND "rivalry", or an easier schedule. Or does a decision like this have to be unanimous?

sancho
02-26-2019, 08:41 PM
The conference should just move ahead with plans, and let Stanford and USC decide what is more important, the ND "rivalry", or an easier schedule. Or does a decision like this have to be unanimous?

I don't know, but it should be unanimous because it's clearly beneficial to the individual teams, the conference, and college football. USC, of course, can threaten to go independent, which is how Texas bullies the Big12 around.

UBlender
02-26-2019, 09:16 PM

There's an easy solution to this USC/Stanford dilemma. Teams in the PAC 12 = 12. Teams in the BigXII = 10. Two PAC 12 teams have to sit this out to make the numbers work anyway, so....there you go. Someone give Larry Scott my routing number so he can send me my fee for solving that.

UBlender
02-26-2019, 09:21 PM
Perhaps football cannot be worked out because of the "rivalries" USC and Stanford have but I hope that doesn't prevent a basketball conversation. I would love a couple of Big 12 games every season - a home and an away for example. You would think it could create relationships that may bleed into football where some of the programs begin playing each other regularly.

I remember an ongoing series (multiple home and homes) that the Runnin' Utes had with Texas in the '90s. It was a pretty good deal. Texas brought an athletic, talented team who loved to play fast and was generally fun and exciting. But Tom Penders was a terrible coach and Majerus would repeatedly pants him in front of everybody. Although I do remember the one game in Austin where Utah got completely robbed when the refs allowed a Texas player to catch, pivot and shoot a game winner with two tenths of a second on the clock. (That was before it was uniformly recognized that you had to have at least three tenths to catch and shoot).

Anyway, that was fun, let's get Texas again.

sancho
02-26-2019, 09:54 PM
I remember an ongoing series (multiple home and homes) that the Runnin' Utes had with Texas in the '90s. It was a pretty good deal. Texas brought an athletic, talented team who loved to play fast and was generally fun and exciting. But Tom Penders was a terrible coach and Majerus would repeatedly pants him in front of everybody. Although I do remember the one game in Austin where Utah got completely robbed when the refs allowed a Texas player to catch, pivot and shoot a game winner with two tenths of a second on the clock. (That was before it was uniformly recognized that you had to have at least three tenths to catch and shoot).

Anyway, that was fun, let's get Texas again.

I remember a home and away with Texas under Rick Barnes too. Am I making that up?

Utebiquitous
02-26-2019, 10:08 PM
I think you're right Sancho. To UBlender's memory - one of those games against Texas was the first time I saw Andre Miller throw a 3/4-court alleyoop to someone. I don't remember who I just remember he threw it. Awesome.

SoCalPat
02-28-2019, 11:56 AM

You speak for a very small minority on this matter (USC-Notre Dame). It's not even worth debating.

Worth debating: The insistence of the California schools playing each other H-H every year, which is the primary roadblock for the league going to an 8-game schedule while giving the North schools the requisite exposure in SoCal. I think it was Jim Mora who said it best one year when he was the Bruins' HC -- if UCLA-Cal is such a special game and one that needs to be played every year, why are we playing it on a Friday night?

I want to go back in time and round up the most vocal 9-game conference schedule proponents and strangle them. It's that insular mindset, just as much as geography, just as much as our lousy TV deal, just as much as the limited scope of the Pac-12 Networks, that has put this league in the position it's in. We created this purity checklist, marked off all the boxes and what has it gotten us? Ever-decreasing notoriety, an ever-increasing chest-pounding over national titles in sports nobody cares about and a league that's closer to the MWC than it is the SEC. In other words, we haven't gotten a damn thing out of the deal -- or nothing close to what was promised and envisioned, anyway.

But yeah, we'll keep waiting for the SEC and everyone else to go to 9 league games. And waiting. And waiting some more. So what if the Big 10 plays 9? They can afford to, because their network mints money. Ours does not. We need to get out on the road and get more exposure. With the inherited drawbacks we face (primarily in geography and fewer FBS leagues out west), it's a lot to ask coaches to upgrade their non-con schedules even more than they already have, under a 9-game slate (At Utah, we just need to stop being a millstone around the league's neck in this regard).

SoCalPat
02-28-2019, 12:01 PM
I remember a home and away with Texas under Rick Barnes too. Am I making that up?

You're not. We had two such series under Barnes, four games total.

sancho
02-28-2019, 12:12 PM
You speak for a very small minority on this matter (USC-Notre Dame). It's not even worth debating.

I don't care much about 8 vs 9 games, but I do care about conferences being on a level(ish) playing field. Since the NCAA and other P5 conferences can't push the SEC to 9, we should go to 8. This has been the greatest failure of the playoff committee. If, in year one, they had punished the SEC for playing only 8 games, the SEC would have been at 9 games in year 2.

As for USC, ND, "means nothing" was too strong. That game is expendable though, especially if it's replaced with something great. It's not like people are circling the USC/ND game on their calendar each year.

SoCalPat
02-28-2019, 06:00 PM
I don't care much about 8 vs 9 games, but I do care about conferences being on a level(ish) playing field. Since the NCAA and other P5 conferences can't push the SEC to 9, we should go to 8. This has been the greatest failure of the playoff committee. If, in year one, they had punished the SEC for playing only 8 games, the SEC would have been at 9 games in year 2.

As for USC, ND, "means nothing" was too strong. That game is expendable though, especially if it's replaced with something great. It's not like people are circling the USC/ND game on their calendar each year.

This ain't the year to be saying the game is expendable or that it's easily replaceable. ... https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2018/11/notre-dame-usc-ratings-abc/

We can get USC (and the other Cali schools) to listen to arguments for an 8-game schedule. But asking USC drop Notre Dame from the schedule so the rest of the league can achieve a cross-scheduling arrangement with the Big 12? That idea is DOA. All they have to do is tell the rest of the league that if they want to strengthen their schedules, to stop playing FCS teams -- something USC (and UCLA) already adhere to.

sancho
03-01-2019, 09:22 AM
We can get USC (and the other Cali schools) to listen to arguments for an 8-game schedule. But asking USC drop Notre Dame from the schedule so the rest of the league can achieve a cross-scheduling arrangement with the Big 12? That idea is DOA. All they have to do is tell the rest of the league that if they want to strengthen their schedules, to stop playing FCS teams -- something USC (and UCLA) already adhere to.

Okay, but if USC wants to call the shots for the conference, they better start acting like a flagship program. A flagship program does't retain Clay Helton after multiple disastrous seasons (a flagship never hires Helton to begin with). A flagship program has no problem buying out a dud coach. If USC wants to be big time, they better start acting big time. I don't think the rest of the conference has the inclination to defer indefinitely to a program that is content to sit in the middle. USC is still our top dog in football, and no one else is close, but that won't last forever if they don't get their act together.

LA Ute
03-01-2019, 06:46 PM
This is just Wilner spitballing but it’s fun to contemplate.

Imagining a Pac-12/Big 12 alliance

How might a scheduling partnership between the Pac-12 and the Big 12 play out?

We know a proposed model, in which each team would play three non-conference games against opponents from the other league, isn’t practical. But the Hotline has considered more realistic options, because an alliance makes sense for both conferences: Quality content would help engage fans, sell tickets and please TV partners.

The basics of my plan:

• The math is a bit tricky, because one conference has 12 teams and the other has 10. Roughly speaking, each Pac-12 team could play a Big 12 team twice in a three-year span -- not the same team, mind you -- while each Big 12 team would play a Pac-12 team four times in five years.

• The matchups would change every year, but teams would be guaranteed a home game in seasons their conference rivalry game is on the road.

When Bedlam is in Norman, for example, Oklahoma State would play its Pac-12 opponent at home.

When the Civil War is in Eugene, Oregon would play its Big 12 opponent on the road.

• For optimum flexibility with matchups — and to allow teams to fill out in the rest of their non-conference dates years in advance — an partnership would require dates to be blocked out ahead:
Four teams in each conference would be told to block out Week Two in the 2024 season, for example, and four would block out Week Three in 2024.

• Each spring, after rosters and expectations are established, the matchups would be set from the groups of four teams that have the same week blocked off.

Exceptions would be made:

Stanford and USC would be guaranteed a home game against their Big 12 opponent in the years they play Notre Dame on the road.
Teams involved in neutral-site matchups on Labor Day weekend — those are booked years in advance — would be guaranteed home games against their Big 12/Pac-12 opponent in Week Three, so as to allow for a cupcake in Week Two.

• The partnership would feature quadruple-headers each season in Week Two and Week Three, with the Big 12 hosting the first and third games and the Pac-12 hosting the second and fourth.

Sample schedule (all times Pacific)

Week Two

9 a.m.: Arizona State at West Virginia
12:30 p.m.: Kansas State at Utah
4 p.m.: UCLA at Texas Tech
7:30 p.m.: Oklahoma at Oregon

Week Three

9 a.m.: Washington State at Oklahoma State
12:30 p.m.: Iowa State at Washington
4 p.m.: Stanford at Texas
7:30 p.m.: TCU at USC

The key is buy-in from the coaches; they would have to give up control, which runs counter to their every fiber.

For both conferences, a partnership would create more challenges for individual programs — depending on the year and the matchup, of course — but benefit the collective. — Jon Wilner.

sancho
03-05-2019, 12:56 PM
Vegas Bowl change announced. The game will be Pac-12 vs Big10/SEC. There will be a new Los Angeles Bowl for Pac-12/MWC.

LA Ute
03-12-2019, 03:13 PM
U$C fires administrator and coach arrested in college admissions fraud scheme

A USC official speaking on condition of anonymity confirmed that senior associate athletic director Donna Heinel and men’s and women’s water polo coach Jovan Vavic (http://articles.latimes.com/2012/feb/16/sports/la-sp-adv-coach-of-champions-20120217) were fired after allegedly receiving bribes totaling more than $1.3 million and $250,000, respectively, to help parents take advantage of the relaxed admissions standards for athletes at USC even though their children were not legitimately being recruited as athletes.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/la-sp-college-admission-scam-coaches-usc-20190312-story.html

Things just keep getting better for the Trojans.

concerned
03-12-2019, 06:24 PM
U$C fires administrator and coach arrested in college admissions fraud scheme

https://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/la-sp-college-admission-scam-coaches-usc-20190312-story.h (https://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/la-sp-college-admission-scam-coaches-usc-20190312-story.html)

Things just keep getting better for the Trojans.

As Jon Wilner tweeted, USC the only school named in both the bb scandal and this one. Don't even mention their med school scandal or their president scandal.

LA Ute
03-12-2019, 06:53 PM
As Jon Wilner tweeted, USC the only school named in both the bb scandal and this one. Don't even mention their med school scandal or their president scandal.

This has been a pretty big deal in L.A. too:

Patients flood USC with reports about doctor accused of misconduct; LAPD set to review cases
https://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-usc-doctor-firings-20180518-story.html

It's a sickening case. The physician is losing his license and I think he will go to prison. USC settled the resulting class action for $215 million (https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-usc-settlement-lawsuits-former-patient-gynecologist-20190213-story.html). There's legislation pending in Sacramento (I got to testify before the State Senate committee about the matter).

concerned
03-12-2019, 09:20 PM
And USC is more deeply implicated than any other college. Its associate athletic director of long standing took $1.3 million in bribes??? How is that possible? How can Lynn Swann survive that?

Sullyute
03-13-2019, 01:22 PM
USC is a mess.

LA Ute
03-15-2019, 06:51 AM
USC, UCLA Make List Of Fastest-Growing ‘Sugar Baby’ Schools In America

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2019/03/14/college-students-turn-sugar-daddies-help-pay-bills/

LA Ute
03-16-2019, 02:19 PM
Any bets on how long Swann remains in his job?
(http://nsl.latimes.com/T/v40000016984af625abeea566e96c66058/0100749b27ae43bd0000021ef3a0bcc3/0100749b-27ae-43bd-8fec-eb23397bdec0)
Lynn Swann says USC was 'blindsided' by the alleged bribery of a senior staffer in the college admissions scandal (http://nsl.latimes.com/T/v40000016984af625abeea566e96c66058/0100749b27ae43bd0000021ef3a0bcc3/0100749b-27ae-43bd-8fec-eb23397bdec0)
(http://nsl.latimes.com/T/v40000016984af625abeea566e96c66058/0100749b27ae43bd0000021ef3a0bcc3/0100749b-27ae-43bd-8fec-eb23397bdec0)

Friday, March 15, 2019, 9:05 PM PT

Swann, who took over as USC’s athletic director a little under three years ago, has come under fire for not being aware this scheme was taking place within his department and for giving so much power to one person with seemingly little to no oversight from anyone else.

Read the latest (http://nsl.latimes.com/T/v40000016984af625abeea566e96c66058/0100749b27ae43bd0000021ef3a0bcc3/0100749b-27ae-43bd-8fec-eb23397bdec0)

sancho
03-16-2019, 02:31 PM
Any bets on how long Swann remains in his job?
Lynn Swann says USC was 'blindsided' by the alleged bribery of a senior staffer in the college admissions scandal (http://nsl.latimes.com/T/v40000016984af625abeea566e96c66058/0100749b27ae43bd0000021ef3a0bcc3/0100749b-27ae-43bd-8fec-eb23397bdec0)

Friday, March 15, 2019, 9:05 PM PT

Swann, who took over as USC’s athletic director a little under three years ago, has come under fire for not being aware this scheme was taking place within his department and for giving so much power to one person with seemingly little to no oversight from anyone else.

Read the latest (http://nsl.latimes.com/T/v40000016984af625abeea566e96c66058/0100749b27ae43bd0000021ef3a0bcc3/0100749b-27ae-43bd-8fec-eb23397bdec0)

I have a hard time blaming Swann for all this. It happened at a bunch of different schools under a bunch of different ADs. Why is nobody calling for the Stanford AD's job? Yale? I do, however, think Swann should be fired for holding onto Helton this year.

Did anyone else see that Cal released a statement about the admissions scandals? "Even though we weren't implicated in any way, we want to release a statement to let everyone know that we consider ourselves to be just as prestigious as Stanford and Yale."

Applejack
03-16-2019, 05:41 PM
I have a hard time blaming Swann for all this. It happened at a bunch of different schools under a bunch of different ADs. Why is nobody calling for the Stanford AD's job? Yale? I do, however, think Swann should be fired for holding onto Helton this year.

Did anyone else see that Cal released a statement about the admissions scandals? "Even though we weren't implicated in any way, we want to release a statement to let everyone know that we consider ourselves to be just as prestigious as Stanford and Yale."

The USC stuff is worse than those other schools. At Georgetown, the crew coach was in on it. At Yale, the swim coach. At usc an ass. Athletic director was in on it as well as the water polo coach and other coaches. They all look bad, but usc looks rotten to throw core.

If you read the complaint, there are some great quotes. My favorite from Lori loughlin: "can you help get my daughter into a good school so that she doesn't end up at Arizona State."

Sullyute
03-16-2019, 06:02 PM
I read that the Loughlin daughter was actually in the Caribbean for spring break partying on a yacht with a member of USC’s board of trustees. Optics on this all look bad.

LA Ute
03-16-2019, 07:35 PM
I read that the Loughlin daughter was actually in the Caribbean for spring break partying on a yacht with a member of USC’s board of trustees. Optics on this all look bad.

The chairman of the board of trustees. A very prominent LA businessman and power broker. The most powerful man at USC.

hostile
03-16-2019, 07:56 PM
The chairman of the board of trustees. A very prominent LA businessman and power broker.
Yikes!

concerned
03-16-2019, 09:28 PM
The chairman of the board of trustees. A very prominent LA businessman and power broker. The most powerful man at USC.

It was his yacht but I don't think he was there. The Laughlin girl was long time friends with his daughter. A bunch of girls were on daddy's yacht for spring break. She left after news broke.

Diehard Ute
03-16-2019, 10:11 PM
It was his yacht but I don't think he was there. The Laughlin girl was long time friends with his daughter. A bunch of girls were on daddy's yacht for spring break. She left after news broke.

Laughlin’s daughter is on video during her senior year talking about how hard college will be with her travel schedule. She went on to say she doesn’t care about academics but is going to college to go to football games and parties

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LA Ute
03-17-2019, 09:25 AM

Food reminder. Whether he was there or not, no one is suggesting any impropriety by his presence. I think his daughter was there with the Laughlin girl. It was he himself who had to issue the statement about her decision to return home after the news broke.

I feel kind of a connection to these young students. I knew some kids in college who knew people who had water skiing boats. Never got a chance to ride on them. And we all knew where the Caribbean is!

UTEopia
03-21-2019, 08:34 AM
I feel kind of a connection to these young students. I knew some kids in college who knew people who had water skiing boats. Never got a chance to ride on them. And we all knew where the Caribbean is!

It's the Island off Long Beach, right?

LA Ute
03-21-2019, 09:13 AM
It's the Island off Long Beach, right?

I thought it was connected to Antelope Island.

LA Ute
04-04-2019, 01:47 PM
What’s Life Like as a Student at U.S.C.? Depends on the Size of the Bank Account

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/03/us/usc-admissions-scandal-students.html#nws=mcnewsletter

LOS ANGELES — Spring breaks in Bali, resort-style apartment buildings with rooftop pools and tanning beds and regular dinners out at Nobu, where a tab for four roommates could easily stretch into four digits. This is life as a student at the University of Southern California.

This is also life as a U.S.C. student: working an overnight shift to earn money for books, going hungry when the campus meal plan runs out and seething as friends presume that a $20 glass of wine is affordable.

The divide between rich and poor students could hardly be more vivid than it is at U.S.C., where the children of celebrities and real estate moguls study alongside the children of nannies and dishwashers....

LA Ute
04-15-2019, 02:02 PM
From Jon Wilner's Hotline e-mail this week:

• A damning report late last week from the L.A. Times' Nathan Fenno indicates UCLA athletic officials knew years ago about the pay-for-admissions scam (http://enews.email.bayareanewsgroup.com/q/aa3kMs_-oH0kie4igOSxVKhun8F7o-IhZiPmVtKkxf5FK1je4JDqeojI_8lg), in which rosters sports were given to unqualified players in exchange for huge donations to athletics. In fact, the university conducted its own investigation and concluded the findings remove "any reasonable doubt that the contribution from the parents was obtained quid pro quo for the daughter’s admission."

• In response to the news, UCLA offered a statement to Inside Higher Ed (http://enews.email.bayareanewsgroup.com/q/JdWWYP62l5OsExLv6iYpRVVjXESsB_dZiTpP1IgN0f6pJmNdSH DO7m6EmW9g) in which it "largely confirmed the report" and offered details of its actions.

• Given what we know, should Guerrero and a lieutenant involved in the unseemly plot, Josh Rebholz, be allowed to remain in their current roles (http://enews.email.bayareanewsgroup.com/q/nWG-qqSHFruWtFv1UyjAGLn08F_mBAuJTFW9gHgwjdJdcXVy-lDUUXqRJqYw)? (And just wondering: What else might surface in coming weeks?)

UTEopia
04-15-2019, 02:18 PM
From Jon Wilner's Hotline e-mail this week:

• A damning report late last week from the L.A. Times' Nathan Fenno indicates UCLA athletic officials knew years ago about the pay-for-admissions scam (http://enews.email.bayareanewsgroup.com/q/aa3kMs_-oH0kie4igOSxVKhun8F7o-IhZiPmVtKkxf5FK1je4JDqeojI_8lg), in which rosters sports were given to unqualified players in exchange for huge donations to athletics. In fact, the university conducted its own investigation and concluded the findings remove "any reasonable doubt that the contribution from the parents was obtained quid pro quo for the daughter’s admission."

• In response to the news, UCLA offered a statement to Inside Higher Ed (http://enews.email.bayareanewsgroup.com/q/JdWWYP62l5OsExLv6iYpRVVjXESsB_dZiTpP1IgN0f6pJmNdSH DO7m6EmW9g) in which it "largely confirmed the report" and offered details of its actions.

• Given what we know, should Guerrero and a lieutenant involved in the unseemly plot, Josh Rebholz, be allowed to remain in their current roles (http://enews.email.bayareanewsgroup.com/q/nWG-qqSHFruWtFv1UyjAGLn08F_mBAuJTFW9gHgwjdJdcXVy-lDUUXqRJqYw)? (And just wondering: What else might surface in coming weeks?)

I don't typically care what other schools do administratively unless it somehow impacts the U. I'm guessing giving the cluster that has been around UCLA during the PAC 12 era that we don't want these guys to leave. I hope Holmoe has a lifetime contract at BYU.

Dwight Schr-Ute
05-27-2019, 09:57 AM
This is amazing.

Dwight Schr-Ute
06-13-2019, 10:42 PM
I want this to be mostly true.

UTEopia
06-20-2019, 11:25 AM
I don't typically care what other schools do administratively unless it somehow impacts the U. I'm guessing giving the cluster that has been around UCLA during the PAC 12 era that we don't want these guys to leave. I hope Holmoe has a lifetime contract at BYU.

Harlan was at UCLA - was it during this timeframe? What did he know and when did he know it?

chrisrenrut
08-24-2019, 07:36 PM
WAshington recently picked Eason as their starter. The backup has now decided to transfer effective immediately. Bad news for them if Eason gets injured.

sancho
08-24-2019, 09:39 PM
WAshington recently picked Eason as their starter. The backup has now decided to transfer effective immediately. Bad news for them if Eason gets injured.

We still have fans and media who believe in relaxing transfer rules even further. We are bound and determined to make college football an official minor league.

On the bright side, though, Hawaii is up 21-7 over Arizona as the Tate curse continues. He whined about Ken Niumatalolo, the best possible coach for his skill set.

Applejack
08-25-2019, 06:13 AM
LOL@arizona. Sumlin's seat just got red hot.

sancho
08-25-2019, 07:04 PM
LOL@arizona. Sumlin's seat just got red hot.

Does anyone in the world think that Coach Niumatalolo would have had a hot seat in Tuscon this early?

hostile
09-01-2019, 03:30 PM
JT Daniels out for year with ACL/meniscus tear.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-01-2019, 05:06 PM

Sucks for the young man. Really makes me appreciate the games we won last year with Shelley. USC fans are ready to give up on their season already. Actually, I just pulled up their roster expecting to see another 2-3 4* qbs in the wing, but they actually seem to be in pretty bad shape. And by pretty bad shape, I mean some 3* qbs like the rest of us. Jack Sears May be regretting his entrance to the transfer portal last week.

Does Clay Helton survive until the Utah game?

Applejack
09-01-2019, 05:46 PM
Sucks for the young man. Really makes me appreciate the games we won last year with Shelley. USC fans are ready to give up on their season already. Actually, I just pulled up their roster expecting to see another 2-3 4* qbs in the wing, but they actually seem to be in pretty bad shape. And by pretty bad shape, I mean some 3* qbs like the rest of us. Jack Sears May be regretting his entrance to the transfer portal last week.

Does Clay Helton survive until the Utah game?

Hopefully. So we can close out the helton era (God bless the helton era).

Applejack
09-01-2019, 05:53 PM

Pac 12 looking soft, ready for the picking: UCLA losses at Cincy, Arizona poops at Hawaii, Oregon State man handled at home. Add to that shaky performances by Stanford, USC, and Cal and I say we go and get ours. Uw and Oregon looked legit (I turned that game off in the third certain that Oregon had it in the bag) and there were a lot of n/a's: asu, wsu, Colorado. I think we've got a good shot.

LA Ute
09-02-2019, 07:03 AM

FWIW, I heard a report from a USC insider that the Trojan administration loves Helton because he runs a clean program, and scandal-ridden USC really needs that right now. Who knows if this is true, but I hope it is. Go Clay! Keep that program clean and mediocre!

sancho
09-02-2019, 08:59 AM
Multiple coaching errors in Oregon/Auburn made me glad we have Kyle. Oregon should have punted on 4th and 1 after the timeout mistake. Auburn should have gone for 2 even after the false start. And Oregon, of course, should have run the play clock down on each play during their clock killing drive.

Kyle has made some bad decisions (UW two years ago), but he generally knows when to punt. And he definitely knows how to run clock.

Applejack
09-02-2019, 01:49 PM
FWIW, I heard a report from a USC insider that the Trojan administration loves Helton because he runs a clean program, and scandal-ridden USC really needs that right now. Who knows if this is true, but I hope it is. Go Clay! Keep that program clean and mediocre!

:highfive:

U-Ute
09-03-2019, 11:07 AM

Somewhere, Jack Sears sobs.

LA Ute
09-03-2019, 06:58 PM
With news like this it’s easy to see why U$C might want to keep Helton despite their mediocrity under him, because he runs a clean program.

‘Father is Surgeon,’ ‘1 mil pledge’: The Role of Money in USC Admissions

BOSTON—Emails among athletics, admissions and fundraising officials at the University of Southern California show the school explicitly weighed how much money applicants’ families could donate when determining whether to admit students.
The messages were filed Tuesday in a Boston federal court by a lawyer for two parents accused in the nationwide college-admissions cheating scandal (https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-tip-the-yale-coach-and-the-wire-how-the-college-admissions-scam-unraveled-11552524237?mod=article_inline&mod=article_inline). He claims USC wasn’t a victim of any scheme, but rather based admission decisions in part on expectations of donations from well-heeled families.
There is a long-held assumption that money influences college admissions, but the 18 previously undisclosed documents, obtained during the discovery process in the case, appear to make the direct connection in stark terms.
They include intricate spreadsheets color-coded by university officials to track “special-interest applicants”—applicants flagged for their connections to USC officials, trustees, donors or other VIPs—with direct references to past and prospective dollar amounts of gifts from their families.
Also included are email exchanges about specific candidates whose qualifications were portrayed as questionable by admissions and other officials but whose family ties and bank funds won out.
“VIP” students were described in spreadsheets with references like “given 2 million already,” “1 mil pledge,” “Previously donated $25k to Heritage Hall” and “father is surgeon,” the filings show....

https://www.wsj.com/articles/father-is-surgeon-1-mil-pledge-the-role-of-money-in-usc-admissions-11567548124?mod=hp_lead_pos4

Solon
09-04-2019, 04:57 AM
With news like this it’s easy to see why U$C might want to keep Helton despite their mediocrity under him, because he runs a clean program

USC is gross. Tuition alone is north of $57K.
The school unapologetically lists yearly costs at over $77,000. That's $300K for 4 years (hopefully, you can finish in 4 years)

https://admission.usc.edu/learn/cost-financial-aid/

The situation with its Master's in Social Work program will be a case-study in dumpster-fire mismanagement for business and higher-ed students for years to come.
https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-usc-social-work-20190606-story.html

Rocker Ute
09-04-2019, 07:54 AM
With news like this it’s easy to see why U$C might want to keep Helton despite their mediocrity under him, because he runs a clean program.

‘Father is Surgeon,’ ‘1 mil pledge’: The Role of Money in USC Admissions

[/FONT][/COLOR]https://www.wsj.com/articles/father-is-surgeon-1-mil-pledge-the-role-of-money-in-usc-admissions-11567548124?mod=hp_lead_pos4[/FONT]
[/FONT][/COLOR]

I used to work with a trust funder USC grad who was not very bright. Since this whole scandal broke I've wondered if he was one of these students, sounds like it was a lot more prevalent than I thought.

sancho
09-04-2019, 08:37 AM
USC is gross. Tuition alone is north of $57K.
The school unapologetically lists yearly costs at over $77,000. That's $300K for 4 years (hopefully, you can finish in 4 years)

Yes, but this is a higher ed problem, not just a USC problem.

Sullyute
09-04-2019, 09:18 AM

I agree. Ridiculous what college costs these days.

Solon
09-04-2019, 09:25 AM

To a point, yes. USC is one of the worst offenders, though, and so that's why I picked on them.
The most expensive school in the country is Harvey Mudd, and it's within about $1000 of USC's per annum cost.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/11/it-costs-almost-80000-to-go-to-the-most-expensive-college-in-the-us.html

Now, the rebuttal is that "most students don't actually pay that" to which I have a two-fold reply:

1. Student Loans aren't exactly "financial aid" in the same sense as a pell grant or scholarship.
2. If "nobody" really pays that price, why is that the listed price? I suspect that some poor soul (sap?) actually ends up paying the full-price.
Whether or not the person can afford it isn't really the same issue as why the price is so high.

There are still plenty of affordable college opportunities out there, especially at the regional / in-state level (the school where I work is about $7K a year in tuition, and the math professors are amazing).

I know this is a sports thread, but USC in general kinda makes me sick.

Nice Marmot
09-04-2019, 09:34 AM

I have a friend who is a huge USC fan. He's convinced USC is going to dump Helton to hire Urban.

LA Ute
09-04-2019, 11:26 AM
I have a friend who is a huge USC fan. He's convinced USC is going to dump Helton to hire Urban.

If the USC Board of Trustees does that they are fools and deserve all the problems Urban will bring them.

sancho
09-04-2019, 01:20 PM
If the USC Board of Trustees does that they are fools and deserve all the problems Urban will bring them.

Sure, all those problems like winning national titles.

LA Ute
09-04-2019, 06:10 PM
Sure, all those problems like winning national titles.

Yeah, but I'm thinking of other problems like NCAA sanctions (they still haven't recovered fully from the last time) and serious hits to their already-tattered reputation. The Trustees may not care about that but they're fools if they don't.

SeattleUte
09-04-2019, 07:03 PM
Yeah, but I'm thinking of other problems like NCAA sanctions (they still haven't recovered fully from the last time) and serious hits to their already-tattered reputation. The Trustees may not care about that but they're fools if they don't.

Sanctions? What are you talking about? Did Utah or Florida or Ohio State suffer any sanctions because of Urban Meyer?

LA Ute
09-04-2019, 07:16 PM
Sanctions? What are you talking about? Did Utah or Florida or Ohio State suffer any sanctions because of Urban Meyer?

You haven't been reading the L.A. papers. If you had you would see that USC is in a precarious position and has taken PR hit after PR hit. Their trustees are smart enough to know how careful they need to be. The school has "target" written all over it.

SeattleUte
09-04-2019, 10:52 PM
LA, I know all about UCS’s checkered reputation. Just today there were stories implicating the institution in the academic bribery scandals. But I was talking about Urban Meyer. The only whiff of scandal he’s had is that an assistant coach’s wife allegedly told Urban’s wife that the assistant was abusing her—and Ohio State cleared him. Unless you count Florida fans’ conspiracy theory that he faked health problems so he could get out of his contract with Florida.

Rocker Ute
09-05-2019, 04:02 AM
LA, I know all about UCS’s checkered reputation. Just today there were stories implicating the institution in the academic bribery scandals. But I was talking about Urban Meyer. The only whiff of scandal he’s had is that an assistant coach’s wife allegedly told Urban’s wife that the assistant was abusing her—and Ohio State cleared him. Unless you count Florida fans’ conspiracy theory that he faked health problems so he could get out of his contract with Florida.

Ohio State cleared him? They suspended him for three games.

He also had at least 31 players arrested while he was in Florida for some pretty serious stuff.

SeattleUte
09-05-2019, 07:29 AM
Ohio State cleared him? They suspended him for three games.

He also had at least 31 players arrested while he was in Florida for some pretty serious stuff.

He is currently the assistant Athletic Director at Ohio State.

Here is what Wikipedia says about the arrests: “Meyer has been criticized by some commentators because 31 of his players were arrested during his six years as the Gators' coach.The seriousness of the charges varied widely, from minor offenses such as possession of alcohol by a minor to the charges of possession of a concealed weapon, "aggravated stalking, domestic violence by strangulation, aggravated assault, burglary, larceny and fraudulent use of credit cards." Many of the charges were ultimately dismissed.”

what about those sanctions, LA?

Rocker Ute
09-05-2019, 08:17 AM
He is currently the assistant Athletic Director at Ohio State.

Here is what Wikipedia says about the arrests: “Meyer has been criticized by some commentators because 31 of his players were arrested during his six years as the Gators' coach.The seriousness of the charges varied widely, from minor offenses such as possession of alcohol by a minor to the charges of possession of a concealed weapon, "aggravated stalking, domestic violence by strangulation, aggravated assault, burglary, larceny and fraudulent use of credit cards." Many of the charges were ultimately dismissed.”

what about those sanctions, LA?

So we agree he wasn't cleared at Ohio State and while he was coach at Florida there were significant off the field problems with players. Thank you.

I don't believe LA accused Meyer of sanctions if you read what he wrote, he is talking about USCs sanctions (and potential for more) which is why they would want to potentially steer clear of Meyer - who we all admit did not run squeaky clean programs as HC.

SeattleUte
09-05-2019, 04:05 PM
So we agree he wasn't cleared at Ohio State and while he was coach at Florida there were significant off the field problems with players. Thank you.

I don't believe LA accused Meyer of sanctions if you read what he wrote, he is talking about USCs sanctions (and potential for more) which is why they would want to potentially steer clear of Meyer - who we all admit did not run squeaky clean programs as HC.

So why are Utah fans of all people going out of their way to look for reasons to trash Urban Meyer with extremely debatable allegations? Most the world considers his record exemplary. Of course he makes enemies. He's super successful. But are WE really his enemies? I think that's a super ignorant perspective.

Rocker Ute
09-05-2019, 04:11 PM
So why are Utah fans of all people going out of their way to look for reasons to trash Urban Meyer with extremely debatable allegations? Most the world considers his record exemplary. Of course he makes enemies. He's super successful. But are WE really his enemies? I think that's a super ignorant perspective.

Who is trashing Urban Meyer? Your interpretation of things is interesting to me. Meyer is a HOF coach and critical to getting Utah where it is today. I'm grateful. I like Meyer and I like he has shown interest in helping our program.

USC has some serious problems hanging over it while also recently coming out of sanctions. Urban has some less than ideal issues in his coaching history. That would likely not make them a great match right now.

I think that is all anyone is saying. That's all I'm saying.

LA Ute
09-05-2019, 07:32 PM

Controversy has followed him everywhere he has gone after Utah, as Rocker notes. USC is a controversy magnet anyway, for many reasons, including their booster base. They don't need any more controversy. That's reportedly why they like Helton -- he runs a clean program. I think their Board members should be wary of hiring Urban. This isn't about him personally or an attack on his honor. You need not defend him. I'm just looking at the history surrounding him. I know you disagree.

mUUser
09-05-2019, 09:17 PM
If I was a USC guy I’d be doing backflips over the prospect of Urban. Not only would he bring the Trojans back into the national picture, but school donations would triple the moment he’s announced. He doesn’t have enough baggage to discard.

SeattleUte
09-06-2019, 12:34 AM
If I was a USC guy I’d be doing backflips over the prospect of Urban. Not only would he bring the Trojans back into the national picture, but school donations would triple the moment he’s announced. He doesn’t have enough baggage to discard.

Unfortunately, LA’s hatred for USC cancels his gratitude to Urban Meyer for starting a football tradition at Utah.

LA Ute
09-06-2019, 12:34 PM
Unfortunately, LA’s hatred for USC cancels his gratitude to Urban Meyer for starting a football tradition at Utah.

But I still love you. That's got to mean something.

chrisrenrut
09-07-2019, 04:23 PM
Colorado not showing well against their biggest non-conference rival, both in score and home game attendance.

chrisrenrut
09-07-2019, 05:26 PM
Colorado not showing well against their biggest non-conference rival, both in score and home game attendance.

Lol, Colorado comes back to win in OT, sending thousands of Nebraskans back home disappointed. Not a bad win for the PAC-12.

chrisrenrut
09-07-2019, 05:27 PM
Meanwhile in Pasadena, dozens of UCLA fans go home disappointed. Not a great loss for the PAC-12.

Applejack
09-07-2019, 06:52 PM

Lol. Love it! Has the ucla-version of Chip Kelly ever won a non-conference game? Methinks he is 0-5 staring down Oklahoma next week.

:high five:

UTEopia
09-07-2019, 08:06 PM
Lol, Colorado comes back to win in OT, sending thousands of Nebraskans back home disappointed. Not a bad win for the PAC-12.

I would say it is easily the best win in the conference yet this year.

Sullyute
09-08-2019, 08:11 AM
The PAC12 just got interesting. Oregon scoring 77, Arizona scoring 62, Cal knocking of Washington, and USC laying the wood to Stanford.

Applejack
09-08-2019, 10:47 AM
The PAC12 just got interesting. Oregon scoring 77, Arizona scoring 62, Cal knocking of Washington, and USC laying the wood to Stanford.

Bad news for us of usc woke up. It's not as important as byu winning, but if the Trojans are good (and they look it) that makes the south very hard to win. That game at the coliseum in two weeks is uber important. Good thing I'll be there!

chrisrenrut
09-08-2019, 02:28 PM
Bad news for us of usc woke up. It's not as important as byu winning, but if the Trojans are good (and they look it) that makes the south very hard to win. That game at the coliseum in two weeks is uber important. Good thing I'll be there!

On the flip side of the PAC-12 South, ASU didn’t look good while beating an inferior team.

Scorcho
09-09-2019, 02:04 PM
Lynn Swann song

https://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/story/2019-09-09/lynn-swann-resigns-as-usc-athletic-director

He's out, very odd timing.

LA Ute
09-09-2019, 02:48 PM
Lynn Swann song

https://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/story/2019-09-09/lynn-swann-resigns-as-usc-athletic-director

He's out, very odd timing.

AD at USC is a tough job.

Sullyute
09-15-2019, 04:29 AM
Chip Kelly has now lost 26 of his last 31 games as a head coach (college and NFL)

sancho
09-15-2019, 09:05 AM

The whole "Helton runs a clean program" thing is going to wear out quickly if he keeps blowing games he should easily win.

LA Ute
09-15-2019, 10:06 AM
The whole "Helton runs a clean program" thing is going to wear out quickly if he keeps blowing games he should easily win.

If I were a USC fan, I would be wondering how we wound up in a position where all we had was a 3-star freshman quarterback as our primary backup, and he was in a situation yesterday where he threw a pick during overtime that ended the game — against a team with less talent and with defensive backs and linebackers known for their lack of speed. Hard to find good answers for those questions.

As a Utah fan I think Helton is terrific and I hope he stays in his job a long time.

Applejack
09-15-2019, 02:36 PM
If I were a USC fan, I would be wondering how we wound up in a position where all we had was a 3-star freshman quarterback as our primary backup, and he was in a situation yesterday where he threw a pick during overtime that ended the game — against a team with less talent and with defensive backs and linebackers known for their lack of speed. Hard to find good answers for those questions.

As a Utah fan I think Helton is terrific and I hope he stays in his job a long time.

I'm a well known supporter of clay. Unfortunately, I think his obit was written yesterday.

Scorcho
09-15-2019, 06:50 PM
Not sure USC will make a change with Helton with an interim AD.

LA Ute
09-16-2019, 01:47 PM
Pretty horrible mistake by PAC-12 refs.

FOX College Football (@CFBONFOX) Tweeted:
Turns out Michigan State should've had a 3rd try at the game-tying field goal.

@DeanBlandino explains [emoji3596] https://t.co/0G7x9vEqoN https://twitter.com/CFBONFOX/status/1173024048261079040?s=17

Scorcho
09-19-2019, 01:49 PM
Dan Guerrero is retiring from UCLA next June. I wonder if they'll be looking Mark Harlan's way? if I recall I think he worked with him in Westwood previously.

Scorcho
09-19-2019, 04:21 PM
I don't even know what to say anymore? KSL is just flat out embarrassing

https://twitter.com/kslsports/status/1174778931875995648 (https://twitter.com/kslsports/status/1174778931875995648)

Sullyute
09-19-2019, 04:58 PM
I don't even know what to say anymore? KSL is just flat out embarrassing

https://twitter.com/kslsports/status/1174778931875995648 (https://twitter.com/kslsports/status/1174778931875995648)

They are writing/posting for their audience.

LA Ute
09-19-2019, 05:15 PM
They are writing/posting for their audience.

An audience that LOVES to be relevant.

chrisrenrut
09-22-2019, 12:29 AM
Ho Lee Chit! UCLA down 32, and comes back to win at Wazzu. Wazzu QB throws 9 TD’s in a game and loses.

LA Ute
10-05-2019, 08:13 AM
UCLA’s attendance woes could take a ‘record’ turn against Oregon State

When the opening kickoff sails into the air Saturday evening at the Rose Bowl, UCLA will be on nearly equal footing with Oregon State, the blight of the Pac-12 Conference. The Bruins (1-4 overall, 1-1 Pac-12) are just six-point favorites over the Beavers (1-3, 0-1) in a game that could be played before a record-low crowd.

The number to “beat” is 32,513. That was the attendance on Nov. 7, 1992, when UCLA edged Oregon State before what still stands as the smallest gathering for a Bruins game in their 37 years at the Rose Bowl. The three smallest UCLA crowds (https://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/story/2019-09-05/ucla-football-attendance-issues-crowded-sports-field) at the stadium have all involved the Beavers, who don’t travel well or have a large alumni base in Southern California.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/story/2019-10-04/ucla-football-worst-attendance-record-rose-bowl-oregon-state?fbclid=IwAR0cajmrbPxkjlzP2KXRD2blKSo2QB_IMsw WvIwqSsyviALtQvyGxtgT720

Sullyute
10-06-2019, 05:24 AM
Dang, the PAC12 really knows how to cannibalizes itself! I love the parity, makes every game interesting.

Still a little confused on how UCLA beat WSU as they are a terrible team.

U-Ute
10-07-2019, 08:36 AM
As if the PAC-12 season wasn't weird enough already.

LA Ute
11-03-2019, 05:21 AM
Summon Seattle Ute, who thinks Urban Meyers’s warts are irrelevant.

Column: Mike Bohn brings USC integrity, which means he can’t hire Urban Meyer

https://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/story/2019-11-01/bill-plaschke-mike-bohn-urbane-meyer-usc-football

sancho
11-03-2019, 06:59 AM
It's not clear that Urban wants back in. If he does, I still think the job is his.

Plaschke, as usual, is not convincing. He does list a few good options, though, in case Urban doesn't want back in. Franklin and Rhule seem like good hires. Or maybe Bohn steals Fickrell from Cincy.

concerned
11-03-2019, 07:31 AM
It's not clear that Urban wants back in. If he does, I still think the job is his.

Plaschke, as usual, is not convincing. He does list a few good options, though, in case Urban doesn't want back in. Franklin and Rhule seem like good hires. Or maybe Bohn steals Fickrell from Cincy.

Obviously I could be very wrong, but I don't see why Urban would be interested.

FWIW, Pete Thamel agrees with Plashke, and includes a KW reference. He points out that Brohn has no close ties to Urban, and that USC could have but did not hire an AD with close ties, if Urban were their choice.

https://sports.yahoo.com/10-takeaways-in-the-wake-of-another-humiliating-loss-whats-next-at-usc-062436192.html

sancho
11-03-2019, 08:53 AM
Obviously I could be very wrong, but I don't see why Urban would be interested.

FWIW, Pete Thamel agrees with Plashke, and includes a KW reference. He points out that Brohn has no close ties to Urban, and that USC could have but did not hire an AD with close ties, if Urban were their choice.

https://sports.yahoo.com/10-takeaways-in-the-wake-of-another-humiliating-loss-whats-next-at-usc-062436192.html

I think they've probably felt out the Urban situation, and he has told them he's not interested. James Franklin would be a home run. As would Kyle. Anyone else on Thamel's list comes with at least some risk. Still amazing that USC fell for the old interim coach trap.

Applejack
11-04-2019, 01:23 PM
I think they've probably felt out the Urban situation, and he has told them he's not interested. James Franklin would be a home run. As would Kyle. Anyone else on Thamel's list comes with at least some risk. Still amazing that USC fell for the old interim coach trap.

Urban will be roommates with LAUte next year.

sancho
11-05-2019, 01:21 PM
Rumors....

https://insideusc.blog/2019/11/05/morning-buzz-mike-bohn-may-back-out-of-usc-deal/

If Urban wants to be there, they should hire him. He's the closest thing to a sure bet that exists.

Scorcho
11-05-2019, 02:29 PM
Rumors....

https://insideusc.blog/2019/11/05/morning-buzz-mike-bohn-may-back-out-of-usc-deal/

If Urban wants to be there, they should hire him. He's the closest thing to a sure bet that exists.

I'm not sure USC can afford anything else that closely resembles a scandal in athletics. I can see why the school president would shy away from Urban.

concerned
11-05-2019, 03:13 PM
I'm not sure USC can afford anything else that closely resembles a scandal in athletics. I can see why the school president would shy away from Urban.

Bohn didn't know until AFTER he agreed to take the job? I find that impossible to believe. That is the first thing they should of discussed--is there anybody I cant hire? Especially if other applicants were told BEFORE. If true, both Bohn and the school pres are incompetent.

And why would Urban accept the job under these circumstances? I still cant believe he would be interested.

sancho
11-05-2019, 04:35 PM

I'm not sure USC can afford another botched hire either, though. Urban's scandals are pretty small time.