PDA

View Full Version : The wheels have come off - where do we go from here?

UTEopia
10-26-2013, 05:15 PM
Here is my take on the USC game

Dres can’t catch the short pass- USC scores 7
Bad call on 4th and 1 - why run wide when USC has great pursuit
Wilson throws into coverage - USC scores 3
Utes don’t tackle on 2nd and 22 - USC scores 3
Shulz throws into double coverage and gets picked - USC scores 3
Our corners cannot press cover PAC 12 WRs
PAC 12 DBs can press cover our WRs
Andy Phillips is now a typical kicker

But where do we go from here?

OL - We know we have some players playing out of position and from what I have seen we do not have players who can come in and do a better job than those guys. I am surprised that we have not used a FB or TE to help more on edge.

WR - We lack speed and the ability to make press coverage pay. Hatfield and McClellon have speed, but they are small guys. I'm not sure we have guys who can do what we need them to do.

QB - Is Wilson the guy? He has been hurt but the mistakes that have hurt most are bad decisions. I am not as sure as I once was that Wilson is the guy.

Defense: We have played solid defense but we cannot get to the QB without blitzing and blitzing leaves us vulnerable to underneath routes. Our CB's do not have the talent or physicality to play press coverage underneath.

Ute_In_Texas
10-26-2013, 05:46 PM
I think it's pretty difficult to complain about the defense. In general they have played pretty well, and it's unfair to expect perfection.

I agree that the WR's don't get any separation, the O-line has done a poor job in pass protection, and the QB situation remains unresolved.

Where do we go from here? Hopefully beat Colorado and Washington State and go bowling. Although at this point, I don't think either victory is a given.

Utah
10-26-2013, 06:03 PM
The defense has been fine. They are not the issue at all. The issue is the OL and Dres "it's either a TD or a pick" Anderson.

The WR suck on this team and so does the OL. That is 100% of the problem.

Dan Finn was a terrible hire.

USS Utah
10-26-2013, 06:15 PM
I'm thinking the problem was losing Scott and Murphy to injury.

Brian
10-26-2013, 08:55 PM
I'm thinking the problem was losing Scott and Murphy to injury.

And not having any depth behind them.
Hopefully time will fix this.....