PDA

View Full Version : The Devils Came Up To Salt Lake: Utah vs. ASU 2013

DrumNFeather
10-28-2013, 06:29 AM
This is mostly a placeholder as we have plenty of other threads to work from during the bye.

LA Ute
10-28-2013, 08:25 AM
This is mostly a placeholder as we have plenty of other threads to work from during the bye.

I am dreading this game. They are so fast, and we have such difficulty with speed, that I am afraid we are going to get boat raced in a big way. Of course, I hope I am terribly wrong.

DrumNFeather
10-28-2013, 08:34 AM
I am dreading this game. They are so fast, and we have such difficulty with speed, that I am afraid we are going to get boat raced in a big way. Of course, I hope I am terribly wrong.

Well, we just have to hope that KW can motivate them to get it done. They need to have a better game plan then they've had lately...or at least, not default to run up the middle or QB run when they can't get the edge.

sancho
10-28-2013, 08:51 AM
We should have plenty of motivation. I think we'll come out swinging. I wouldn't mind a few 15 yarders against us in the 1st if it means we are coming with energy and violence. That would be preferable to coming out dead like we did last year.

DrumNFeather
10-28-2013, 09:02 AM
We should have plenty of motivation. I think we'll come out swinging. I wouldn't mind a few 15 yarders against us in the 1st if it means we are coming with energy and violence. That would be preferable to coming out dead like we did last year.

Come out with a shot down field...or at least an accurate shot down field, not what Wilson tossed up against Arizona.

sancho
10-28-2013, 09:06 AM
Come out with a shot down field...or at least an accurate shot down field, not what Wilson tossed up against Arizona.

No. Shots downfield are wasted downs for us right now with Wilson. His strength is the short-to-medium range game. Come out throwing up tempo like we did against Alabama. Hope that it works and that it allows us to then establish the run.

If Shultz is the starter, yes, start with a shot downfield. His strength is his cannon arm.

DrumNFeather
10-28-2013, 09:25 AM
No. Shots downfield are wasted downs for us right now with Wilson. His strength is the short-to-medium range game. Come out throwing up tempo like we did against Alabama. Hope that it works and that it allows us to then establish the run.

If Shultz is the starter, yes, start with a shot downfield. His strength is his cannon arm.

Either way...do we have someone that can get open? Dres's play vs. Stanford was a great adjustment on an under thrown ball.

Diehard Ute
10-28-2013, 02:53 PM

Not when he needs 30 seconds to make the decision to throw it.

Schulz is slow. Making reads. Making decisions. With our O Line and his hesitation he's a sack waiting to happen IMO.

SeattleUte
10-28-2013, 02:57 PM
Save me Mr. Wizard!

sancho
10-28-2013, 03:19 PM

Schulz is slow. Making reads. Making decisions. With our O Line and his hesitation he's a sack waiting to happen IMO.

I think Wilson was slow last year. It takes time. I haven't seen enough of Schulz to say that he can't be good. It took Taysom Hill 4-5 games this year to get up to speed. Took Wilson 5-6 games too.

Of course, I hope we don't have to find out about Schulz. I hope Wilson is back to form.

Hot Lunch
10-29-2013, 09:05 AM

These are my exact thoughts on Schulz as a q.b. I pretty much texted these exact things to JIC yesterday morning.

Diehard Ute
10-29-2013, 11:07 AM
I think Wilson was slow last year. It takes time. I haven't seen enough of Schulz to say that he can't be good. It took Taysom Hill 4-5 games this year to get up to speed. Took Wilson 5-6 games too.

Of course, I hope we don't have to find out about Schulz. I hope Wilson is back to form.

It's a different type of slow

You can't teach the natural ability to multi task.

I see that training new people at work. Either you can or you can't. Now comfort and confidence are acquired and learned, but the natural ability to be able to decipher information and react is just that, IMO, natural.

I don't see it in Schulz.

And I too hope we don't ever need to find out if I'm right.

LA Ute
10-31-2013, 09:44 PM
Watching the ASU-WSU game is not making me feel very good about Utah avoiding a boat race with ASU. Then again, Sitake said on Riley's show that the Utes have a defensive plan for ASU and he feels like the team is ready for a turnaround. So we have that to hold on to.

DrumNFeather
11-01-2013, 05:20 AM
Watching the ASU-WSU game is not making me feel very good about Utah avoiding a boat race with ASU. Then again, Sitake said on Riley's show that the Utes have a defensive plan for ASU and he feels like the team is ready for a turnaround. So we have that to hold on to.

And we'll hold on to it at least through the first quarter!

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

LA Ute
11-01-2013, 07:30 AM
I'm setting a low bar. All I'm hoping for is that the Utes don't look hapless or embarrass themselves the way WSU did last night.

sancho
11-01-2013, 08:50 AM
I'm setting a low bar. All I'm hoping for is that the Utes don't look hapless or embarrass themselves the way WSU did last night.

Come on. It's not as bad as all that. So ASU ripped Wazzu apart - so what? Everyone does that to Wazzu. That's what Wazzu is for.

ASU is scoring like crazy, and they have a good defense. We definitely have our work cut out for us. But they say teams take on the personality of their coaches, so that makes ASU a bunch of whiny quitters. We hit em in the mouth in the first quarter, and they go down crying like little girls.

We need to come out like this is a BYU game. Maybe we need the local press to write ridiculous garbage about us all week like they do for the rivalry game. I don't know. Maybe we need to stomp the field after our 7-0 opening touchdown like Georgia did a few years ago. If we come out with that spark, we can beat ASU.

We are due against this team.

Besides, part of being a Ute fan is working yourself up to a genuine optimism about a game even when all evidence is suggesting you curb that enthusiasm.

LA Ute
11-01-2013, 08:56 AM
Come on. It's not as bad as all that. So ASU ripped Wazzu apart - so what? Everyone does that to Wazzu. That's what Wazzu is for.

ASU is scoring like crazy, and they have a good defense. We definitely have our work cut out for us. But they say teams take on the personality of their coaches, so that makes ASU a bunch of whiny quitters. We hit em in the mouth in the first quarter, and they go down crying like little girls.

We need to come out like this is a BYU game. Maybe we need the local press to write ridiculous garbage about us all week like they do for the rivalry game. I don't know. Maybe we need to stomp the field after our 7-0 opening touchdown like Georgia did a few years ago. If we come out with that spark, we can beat ASU.

We are due against this team.

Besides, part of being a Ute fan is working yourself up to a genuine optimism about a game even when all evidence is suggesting you curb that enthusiasm.

I've found that if I set low expectations I can only be pleasantly surprised.

SeattleUte
11-01-2013, 10:48 AM
ASU has bigger faster more skilled players than we do. But we have a chance because we're not playing them in Tempe. Tempe is a horrible place to play. We'd get mauled down there like the Huskies and USC did or worse. I knew this before last night. But last night makes me optimistic we might beat WSU, which will be gunning for us because we RUTS against them last year in SLC. (Don't forget WSU beat USC in LA.)

sancho
11-01-2013, 11:15 AM
(Don't forget WSU beat USC in LA.)

That game was actually quite similar to our game in LA. We both reached about 200 total yards against the USC defense. We both gave up about 200 yards to the USC offense. We both managed 1 FG. The primary difference is the turnover margin.

Jarid in Cedar
11-01-2013, 12:38 PM
That game was actually quite similar to our game in LA. We both reached about 200 total yards against the USC defense. We both gave up about 200 yards to the USC offense. We both managed 1 FG. The primary difference is the turnover margin.

Yep. And more than the turnovers was the field position that the T/O's happened. Two of them basically gifted them FG's, and the TD came on a ~50 yard drive(with one play being a 25 yard pass for the score) that happened off of the first pick.

DrumNFeather
11-04-2013, 08:48 AM
Alright here we go, let’s get some stats to fire this puppy up:

#22 (BCS) Arizona St 6-2, (4-1) vs. Utah 4-4 (1-4)

The QBs:

Travis Wilson: 127-216, 1706 yards, 14 TDs, 14 INTs, sacked 12 times, QB rating 133.6, Rushes – 64, 342, 5 TDs
Taylor Kelly: 195-310, 2511 Yards, 23 TDs, 8 INTs, sacked 17 times, QB Rating 150.3, Rushes – 70, 315 yards, 5 TDs

The RBs:

Bubba Poole: 106 rush, 495 yards, 1 TD, 26 Rec, 227 yards, 0 TDs
Lucky Radley: 36 rush, 236 yards, 2 TDs, 7 Rec, 57 yards, 1 TD
Kelvin York: 50 rush, 198 yards, 2 TDs,
Marion Grice: 129 rush, 647 yards, 12 TDs, 33 Rec, 333 yards, 6 TDs

The WRs:

Dres Anderson: 33 rec, 642 yards, 5 TDs
Sean Fitzgerald: 24 rec, 376 yards, 4 TDs
Jalean Strong: 49 rec, 720 yards, 5 TDs
DJ Foster: 43, 467, 3 TDs

The Defenses:

Utah: Sacks - #7 overall (27), INTs - #117 overall (2)
ASU: Sacks - #34 overall (20), INTs - #25 overall (12)

LA Ute
11-04-2013, 08:57 AM
Alright here we go, let’s get some stats to fire this puppy up:

#22 (BCS) Arizona St 6-2, (4-1) vs. Utah 4-4 (1-4)

The QBs:

Travis Wilson: 127-216, 1706 yards, 14 TDs, 14 INTs, sacked 12 times, QB rating 133.6, Rushes – 64, 342, 5 TDs
Taylor Kelly: 195-310, 2511 Yards, 23 TDs, 8 INTs, sacked 17 times, QB Rating 150.3, Rushes – 70, 315 yards, 5 TDs

The RBs:

Bubba Poole: 106 rush, 495 yards, 1 TD, 26 Rec, 227 yards, 0 TDs
Lucky Radley: 36 rush, 236 yards, 2 TDs, 7 Rec, 57 yards, 1 TD
Kelvin York: 50 rush, 198 yards, 2 TDs,
Marion Grice: 129 rush, 647 yards, 12 TDs, 33 Rec, 333 yards, 6 TDs

The WRs:

Dres Anderson: 33 rec, 642 yards, 5 TDs
Sean Fitzgerald: 24 rec, 376 yards, 4 TDs
Jalean Strong: 49 rec, 720 yards, 5 TDs
DJ Foster: 43, 467, 3 TDs

The Defenses:

Utah: Sacks - #7 overall (27), INTs - #117 overall (2)
ASU: Sacks - #34 overall (20), INTs - #25 overall (12)

Looks like ASU may be vulnerable to sacks. Maybe that's an opening for the Utes. A hurried Kelly may throw some picks. It's time we got a few of those.

DrumNFeather
11-04-2013, 09:09 AM
Looks like ASU may be vulnerable to sacks. Maybe that's an opening for the Utes. A hurried Kelly may throw some picks. It's time we got a few of those.

We'll need to have our LBs play well and not only pressure Kelly, but contain him.

I also think this will be one where we need to *try and run ball control, keep their offense off the field, control the clock, etc.

LA Ute
11-04-2013, 09:12 AM
We'll need to have our LBs play well and not only pressure Kelly, but contain him.

I also think this will be one where we need to *try and run ball control, keep their offense off the field, control the clock, etc.

It will be interesting to see what schemes Whitt and Co. come up with.

sancho
11-04-2013, 09:18 AM
ASU's two losses and should be loss were to tough, physical teams. We need to push these guys around, really beat them up.

Of course, one of their biggest wins came against a very physical team (UW).

Scorcho
11-04-2013, 09:52 AM
bummer, supposed to be 60 degrees on Saturday afternoon. So much for the elements playing a role in slowing down the SunDevils.

LA Ute
11-04-2013, 09:58 AM
bummer, supposed to be 60 degrees on Saturday afternoon. So much for the elements playing a role in slowing down the SunDevils.

We still have the altitude going for us.

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-04-2013, 10:54 AM

I don't know. The weather looked pretty cold in Pullman over the weekend and that didn't seem to slow ASU down any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

LA Ute
11-04-2013, 07:44 PM
I'm not sure why, but after reading the transcript of Kyle's press conference yesterday I worry more than ever that ASU is going to boat-race us.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865589837/Kyle-Whittingham-In-our-4-losses-in-the-Pac-12-weve-had-15-turnovers-That-cant-happen-this.html?pg=1

DrumNFeather
11-04-2013, 08:14 PM
I'm not sure why, but after reading the transcript of Kyle's press conference yesterday I worry more than ever that ASU is going to boat-race us.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865589837/Kyle-Whittingham-In-our-4-losses-in-the-Pac-12-weve-had-15-turnovers-That-cant-happen-this.html?pg=1

He's definitely managing expectations.

justaute
11-04-2013, 08:15 PM
I'm sure Whit is a really good person. However, at this point, I don't care what he says, I don't put any stock in his words, and I have no confidence in his administration ability. I am a fan of Utah Utes, not of Whit, and not of any coach in particular. Results and actions speak the loudest. Coaches are paid a lot of $$$ to do their job. If they don't, similar to my industry (up or out), then they should be replaced.

I'm not at a point where I believe Whit should be fired and replaced. Nonetheless, I want to see results and a meaningful, sustained improvement. Even prior to joining P12, we had a few embarrassing losses (e.g. TCU, BSU). The continuous carousel of ineffective personnel change on the offensive side is tiring. The incompetent defensive scheme/plays, at least before Whit had gotten more involved, is also disappointing. I didn't expect my Utes to contend in P12 immediately and just want the team to play smarter, better, and be able to recruit better players. I guess we'll see how the team performs for the remainder of this season and through next season.

Go Utes!

sancho
11-05-2013, 09:00 AM
Anyone have any Utah media connections? Can we get a Gordon Monson "Utah should have never been invited to the Pac-12" special this week? Or maybe a "Utah has no heart" article? These guys aren't trying hard enough. Do they realize that their job is 1000 times better when Utah is winning?

U-Ute
11-05-2013, 10:18 AM
My biggest concern: Our inability to protect the against the pass rush which forces Wilson into bad throwing decisions vs an NFL quality pass play disruptor named Will Sutton.

LA Ute
11-05-2013, 10:21 AM
I'm sure Whit is a really good person. However, at this point, I don't care what he says, I don't put any stock in his words, and I have no confidence in his administration ability. I am a fan of Utah Utes, not of Whit, and not of any coach in particular. Results and actions speak the loudest. Coaches are paid a lot of $$$ to do their job. If they don't, similar to my industry (up or out), then they should be replaced.

I'm not at a point where I believe Whit should be fired and replaced. Nonetheless, I want to see results and a meaningful, sustained improvement. Even prior to joining P12, we had a few embarrassing losses (e.g. TCU, BSU). The continuous carousel of ineffective personnel change on the offensive side is tiring. The incompetent defensive scheme/plays, at least before Whit had gotten more involved, is also disappointing. I didn't expect my Utes to contend in P12 immediately and just want the team to play smarter, better, and be able to recruit better players. I guess we'll see how the team performs for the remainder of this season and through next season.

Go Utes!

IMO the next step in Kyle's development will be to start thinking like a big-time coach and stop hiring from his inner circle. I'm hoping Dennis Erickson is a step in that direction, and that the DE hire is showing Kyle how beneficial it can be to think bigger. I really worry that if Kyle doesn't get that, the program will hit a cieling.

GarthUte
11-07-2013, 03:41 PM
Try as I might, I just can't see Utah coming close to winning this game. The only point of reference for thinking this comes from a common opponent. Utah scored 3 points and ASU put up 60+.

I know, every game is different, but ASU put up 60 points on USC and Utah only scored 3.

DrumNFeather
11-07-2013, 03:43 PM
Try as I might, I just can't see Utah coming close to winning this game. The only point of reference for thinking this comes from a common opponent. Utah scored 3 points and ASU put up 60+.

I know, every game is different, but ASU put up 60 points on USC and Utah only scored 3.

Hey, maybe we're due.

GarthUte
11-07-2013, 04:13 PM
Hey, maybe we're due.

That's a possibility, though with the outcome of the Stanford game, I wonder how due the Utes really are.

I need to get out of pessimist mode and into ridiculously cautious optimist mode: The Utes could win. Maybe. If hell freezes.

LA Ute
11-07-2013, 04:27 PM
That's a possibility, though with the outcome of the Stanford game, I wonder how due the Utes really are.

I need to get out of pessimist mode and into ridiculously cautious optimist mode: The Utes could win. Maybe. If hell freezes.

I feel relieved, having given up hope.

GarthUte
11-07-2013, 04:34 PM
I feel relieved, having given up hope.

When LA has given up, what chance do the rest of us have to hang on?

LA Ute
11-07-2013, 04:37 PM
When LA has given up, what chance do the rest of us have to hang on?

Well, I still hope we don't get boat raced. So there's that.

justaute
11-07-2013, 05:01 PM
I am not hopeful at all. The only positive thing I can come up with is that the probability of our winning is higher than 0 -- not much higher. Still better than 0. :)

Applejack
11-07-2013, 05:47 PM
This thread is a real downer. Mods, please delete the last page of posts.

sancho
11-07-2013, 05:55 PM

Well, I say it's a win. We are too good to lose 3 in a row. And ASU is not good enough to keep scoring 50+ points per game. And I dislike them.

LA Ute
11-07-2013, 06:00 PM
Well, I say it's a win. We are too good to lose 3 in a row. And ASU is not good enough to keep scoring 50+ points per game. And I dislike them.

If you will post another photo of your lucky button we'll have something to cling to.

sancho
11-07-2013, 06:05 PM
If you will post another photo of your lucky button we'll have something to cling to.

An idea - you know the Wazzu flag that makes it to every College Game Day? What if the button made it to every Utah game? We could mail that sucker around and always post a photo of it at the game. When we win, we can praise the button. When we lose, well, we aint losing.

Of course, we would need addresses to send it to, and who isn't a little afraid of Senioritis showing up one day with that van full of 18 kids looking for a place to crash?

justaute
11-07-2013, 06:09 PM
If deleting the last page will help our team, by all means.

sancho
11-07-2013, 06:48 PM
Here's someone picking Utah:

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegesports/2013/11/07/pac-12-football-picks-of-the-week-12/

OrangeUte
11-07-2013, 10:25 PM
Here's someone picking Utah:

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegesports/2013/11/07/pac-12-football-picks-of-the-week-12/

Wow. Wilner of all people. I believe he's right on at least one count. Wilson will come ready to play.

LA Ute
11-07-2013, 10:31 PM
Wow. Wilner of all people. I believe he's right on at least one count. Wilson will come ready to play.

True. The Angry Giraffe has something to prove.

DrumNFeather
11-08-2013, 07:40 AM
True. The Angry Giraffe has something to prove.

I just hope that everyone is being honest about his health. He has been "100%" going into the last two games and has absolutely sucked.

LA Ute
11-08-2013, 07:48 AM
I just hope that everyone is being honest about his health. He has been "100%" going into the last two games and has absolutely sucked.

Well, he's not wearing a glove anymore. A strand of hope.

sancho
11-08-2013, 09:02 AM

It's clearly more than just a health issue. Losing support on the line in the form of our TEs is part of it. Going up against USC's defense is part of it. Mental recovery is part. The offense that we spent all summer implementing became dysfunctional without a TE. Hopefully the bye week has been enough time to scrap something together.

U-Ute
11-08-2013, 09:40 AM

Q: Who has ASU beaten on the road?
A: Nobody

PAC-12 road wins are few and far between this year.

I'm starting to believe that we have a chance, especially if Wilson is really healthy, which it sounds like he is.

I'm going out on a limb and calling a Utah win this week.

DrumNFeather
11-08-2013, 09:53 AM
It's clearly more than just a health issue. Losing support on the line in the form of our TEs is part of it. Going up against USC's defense is part of it. Mental recovery is part. The offense that we spent all summer implementing became dysfunctional without a TE. Hopefully the bye week has been enough time to scrap something together.

Totally agree. My frustration with Wilson's play of late has more to do with the coaches throwing him out there knowing he is bagned up more than anything else. But I'm with you...he also needs to mentally recover.

GarthUte
11-08-2013, 12:34 PM
Q: Who has ASU beaten on the road?
A: Nobody

PAC-12 road wins are few and far between this year.

I'm starting to believe that we have a chance, especially if Wilson is really healthy, which it sounds like he is.

I'm going out on a limb and calling a Utah win this week.

Who has Utah beaten on the road? Nobody.

I'm just not as confident as you are about the Utes' chances.

Applejack
11-08-2013, 12:52 PM

First of all, this is not accurate. Second of all, the game on Saturday is at Rice Eccles Stadium, home of the Utah Utes. Victory!

GarthUte
11-08-2013, 02:44 PM
First of all, this is not accurate. Second of all, the game on Saturday is at Rice Eccles Stadium, home of the Utah Utes. Victory!

What about the statement is not accurate?

U-Ute
11-08-2013, 03:03 PM

My point is that we're playing at home. Home teams are predominately winning in the league. We play better at home than on the road as well.

There's every reason to think that if we play like we did against Stanford and UCLA (sans turnovers of course), we have a decent chance.

GarthUte
11-08-2013, 03:11 PM
My point is that we're playing at home. Home teams are predominately winning in the league. We play better at home than on the road as well.

There's every reason to think that if we play like we did against Stanford and UCLA (sans turnovers of course), we have a decent chance.

Okay, I'm with you now. Still, considering that Utah has more conference losses at home than wins, I just can't see a win. But I certainly hope I'm wrong.

Applejack
11-08-2013, 03:14 PM
who has utah beaten on the road? Nobody.

I'm just not as confident as you are about the utes' chances.

what about the statement is not accurate?

:byu:

GarthUte
11-08-2013, 03:22 PM
:byu:

I don't really consider BYU a road game, considering the distance between the two campuses.

U-Ute
11-08-2013, 03:25 PM
Okay, I'm with you now. Still, considering that Utah has more conference losses at home than wins, I just can't see a win. But I certainly hope I'm wrong.

Our conference home games have been against Oregon State, Stanford, and UCLA, with a combined record of 13-5 (.722)

Their home conference games have been against USC, Colorado, and Washington. Combined record, 5-10 (.333)

Jarid in Cedar
11-08-2013, 04:24 PM
Teams like ASU and Oregon try to use momentum to steam roll you off of the field. We need to dominate the ball. Don't turn it over after they get a score. Don't go 3 and out after they get a score. Stanford won the game last night by playing keep away. Two 90+ yard drives that kept Oregon sitting on the sideline.

I feel better about our defense than I did last year. Our linebackers are much better. As troubling as our safeties are right now, last year we started Blechen at SS(his first game after the suspension) and Chappius at FS :blink:. Rowe and Walker are quicker than that pair. We need to tackle well in space, and keep Kelly in the pocket. He is not as fast as UofA's QB but is a much better passer. Carey is a better runner than Grice, but Grice is a threat to catch the ball on a Swing, Screen or Wheel and take it to the house.

On offense, we need to attack Bradford. He is best when he is pursuing from the backside, but he is an average run defender when you power right at him. I worry more about him against the tackles than Sutton against the interior Line. They are not as good at LB as last year. They use Ibahor on the Corner blitz from the boundary side, especially when the boundary is on the QB's blind side. In the game against USC, he did not disguise his blitz very well so it should be easier for Wilson to see him from the shotgun(USC was under center almost that whole game).

wally
11-09-2013, 12:00 AM
Well, he's not wearing a glove anymore. A strand of hope.

We've got a chance. We are probably the best 4-4 team in the nation right now!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

sancho
11-09-2013, 07:02 AM
We've got a chance. We are probably the best 4-4 team in the nation right now!!

According to Sagarin, we are the third best 4-4 team, after Florida and Kansas State.

OrangeUte
11-09-2013, 09:21 AM
I hope the team watched the Oregon Stanford game and realize that they beat a very very good team a few weeks ago. It's time to get our heads on straight and play better.

I understand the issues with tight ends missing and Scott out. But, we need to adjust and then start clicking. Hopefully Tonga is back at TE and whit is being coy about his status. I want to see us chew up the clock and convert on 3rd downs to keep sustained drives alive. We do not want a shoot out with these guys.

Crowd needs to be loud and involved. Weather won't be a factor at all in this game. Sunny and warm. So, altitude may help especially if we can grind them and keep their offense on the sideline - not bc they score quickly but because we are taking our time.

Diehard Ute
11-09-2013, 10:15 AM
Weather won't be a factor at all in this game. Sunny and warm. So, altitude may help especially if we can grind them and keep their offense on the sideline - not bc they score quickly but because we are taking our time.

Please. If it were this temperature in Tempe they'd be in parkas and snow boots ;)

DrumNFeather
11-09-2013, 11:38 AM
What is Kyle's motivational speech today? ASU isn't quite a giant...so "let's go slay us a tall-ish person"

Diehard Ute
11-09-2013, 11:41 AM
What is Kyle's motivational speech today? ASU isn't quite a giant...so "let's go slay us a tall-ish person"

Vanquish the devil from the face of the earth?

LA Ute
11-09-2013, 02:10 PM
Late hit call there looked a little questionable to me.

I was hoping they wouldn't score on their first possession, but....

Mormon Red Death
11-09-2013, 02:14 PM
Late hit call there looked a little questionable to me.

A little? It was a Shittty call

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

LA Ute
11-09-2013, 02:15 PM
Well, we had the end zone covered!

Jarid in Cedar
11-09-2013, 02:21 PM
Holy shit that was a great first series

Mormon Red Death
11-09-2013, 02:22 PM
Holy shit that was a great first series

Two weeks to prepare and we get that?

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-09-2013, 02:35 PM
How long until Travis completes a pass? How long until he throws one at a receiver?

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-09-2013, 02:36 PM
I like that call. It shows that we're scared of getting down here again.

LA Ute
11-09-2013, 02:37 PM
Glad we got it but I don't like that gamble. Too much like USC.

LA Ute
11-09-2013, 02:38 PM
If we keep running Wilson like that he's going to get hurt.

LA Ute
11-09-2013, 02:42 PM
Well, that took a lot of work but we got it.

But, why not just kick the doggone extra point?

Mormon Red Death
11-09-2013, 02:43 PM

What the hell are we doing? ????

Mormon Red Death
11-09-2013, 02:45 PM
Does asu have a penalty?

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-09-2013, 02:46 PM

Hoping for a final 8-7 defensive struggle! Duh!

LA Ute
11-09-2013, 02:46 PM
Holy Fred Whittingham, a turnover!

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-09-2013, 02:47 PM
Does asu have a penalty?

The off sides that have us 4 and 1.

LA Ute
11-09-2013, 03:01 PM
I just hope Travis makes it to the end of this game without an injury.

Mormon Red Death
11-09-2013, 03:05 PM
I wish we were up 10-7 but any lead will do right now

OrangeUte
11-09-2013, 03:21 PM
Just caught up to real time.

Could be that the best defense to a high tempo spread offense is a grinding offense yourself and chewing up clock.

Stupid York foul.

LA Ute
11-09-2013, 03:21 PM
Drive-killing stupid foul.

Mormon Red Death
11-09-2013, 03:22 PM
Good hell York

Mormon Red Death
11-09-2013, 03:23 PM
How is that not a shot to the head?

OrangeUte
11-09-2013, 03:23 PM
We need to get a passing game of some sorts.

LA Ute
11-09-2013, 03:35 PM
This has been of of the most bizarre games I've ever seen. But we're winning.

LA Ute
11-09-2013, 03:36 PM
Am I listening to my inner cynic, or did the Utes spread a ton of misinformation about Travis' hand being all better?

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-09-2013, 03:53 PM
Am I listening to my inner cynic, or did the Utes spread a ton of misinformation about Travis' hand being all better?

Hand better. Head...

LA Ute
11-09-2013, 03:56 PM
Hand better. Head...

Yes, but 8 pass attempts in the first half? Wowzer.

ASU will not let us get away with Travis running so much in this half.

Whoops, now we are throwing it.

OrangeUte
11-09-2013, 04:06 PM
We are not a good kick off team.

We need to convert on 3rd and keep that clock running down.

Defense playing great.

OrangeUte
11-09-2013, 04:11 PM
If we don't get some offense going...

Horrible qb keeper there for absolutely nothing.

OrangeUte
11-09-2013, 04:12 PM
3 and out there came at a bad time. But great punt by Hackett.

OrangeUte
11-09-2013, 04:18 PM
I would like to see some Karl Williams.

Nevermind! DRES!!!!

OrangeUte
11-09-2013, 04:21 PM
Fitzgerald w a great catch! Td and now up by 12 points!!!

OrangeUte
11-09-2013, 04:24 PM
Grice is coming to life now.

OrangeUte
11-09-2013, 04:27 PM
Saved by the pylon.

OrangeUte
11-09-2013, 04:28 PM
Defense is playing huge this game.

OrangeUte
11-09-2013, 04:36 PM
Asu offense showing a spark. Grice picking up 1st downs. Come on D!

Crap. Asu inside 5.

OrangeUte
11-09-2013, 04:38 PM
Kelly burns us for the TD.

Pressure is on the offense now to keep it a 2 score game. We need to drain time off the clock and score. 3 or 6 will do.

LA Ute
11-09-2013, 04:43 PM
With the lousy protection Wilson is getting it's amazing we are in this game, let alone leading in it.

OrangeUte
11-09-2013, 04:44 PM
Terrible possession and now all pressure on the D to get a stop or turnover.

OrangeUte
11-09-2013, 04:48 PM
Almost picked.

OrangeUte
11-09-2013, 04:48 PM
Come on D!!!!!

OrangeUte
11-09-2013, 04:49 PM
Great sack after many misses!!!!

LA Ute
11-09-2013, 04:55 PM
This will be a crucial stop for us.

OrangeUte
11-09-2013, 04:55 PM
The 3 and out bug bites again. That 1st would have been huge.

OrangeUte
11-09-2013, 05:01 PM
Defense comes up huge!!!!!

OrangeUte
11-09-2013, 05:02 PM
Only 4 yards so far in the 4th quarter. That's horrible. We need to add to that.

OrangeUte
11-09-2013, 05:02 PM
This is where a tight end would be helpful.

OrangeUte
11-09-2013, 05:03 PM
Pathetic.

OrangeUte
11-09-2013, 05:06 PM
Grice coming up big. They have patiently waited for this. Gotta hold them here.

OrangeUte
11-09-2013, 05:09 PM
Offense is ice cold. Their D is rested. Ought to be interesting.

LA Ute
11-09-2013, 05:11 PM
Sigh. Travis.

Mormon Red Death
11-09-2013, 05:11 PM
Geez

OrangeUte
11-09-2013, 05:13 PM
That's brutal offense. You fell apart the 4th quarter.

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-09-2013, 05:20 PM
As predictable as that was, still pretty heartbreaking. I saw nothing encouraging from the offense today.

OrangeUte
11-09-2013, 05:24 PM
As predictable as that was, still pretty heartbreaking. I saw nothing encouraging from the offense today.

Exactly. This is not a good offensive team.

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-09-2013, 05:28 PM
Exactly. This is not a good offensive team.

As unthinkable as the question should be, is this offense currently worse than last year's?

SoCalPat
11-09-2013, 05:31 PM
As unthinkable as the question should be, is this offense currently worse than last year's?

We're so compromised personnel wise. That's the biggest difference from last year. And Wilson hasn't taken the next step, for whatever reason.

LA Ute
11-09-2013, 05:33 PM
Our defense held an incredible offense to 20 points. Good for them. That gem of a defensive performance was more than enough to win. We simply got beat by a better team that was able to make plays when they needed them.

I am not sure Wilson had a pocket once tonight. So it is not all on him. He has become a head case, however. If he can overcome that, I think he still has a lot of good football ahead of him. At the same time, I hope Manning works hard in the off-season and gets ready for what might be an important role for him next year. It is not at all clear that Travis can perform effectively and consistently at this level.

SoCalPat
11-09-2013, 05:37 PM
Our defense held an incredible offense to 20 points. Good for them. That gem of a defensive performance was more than enough to win. We simply got beat by a better team that was able to make plays when they needed them.

I am not sure Wilson had a pocket once tonight. So it is not all on him. He has become a head case, however. If he can overcome that, I think he still has a lot of good football ahead of him. At the same time, I hope Manning works hard in the off-season and gets ready for what might be an important role for him next year. It is not at all clear that Travis can perform effectively and consistently at this level.

Yep. Even when Travis was running great, he still threw a lot of INTs. He's got 16, which amounts to over 2 per game when you consider the time he's missed and one game being against Weber State. Without a doubt, the starting job as we speak is up for grabs next season.

GarthUte
11-09-2013, 05:44 PM

Agreed. The defense did its job and played much better than I thought they would.

One of Wilson's biggest problems is his throwing mechanics. His elbow is too low when he throws the ball. He needs to get it up to at least shoulder level. If his elbow is up the ball would be higher as it goes past the line of scrimmage and that last pick most likely wouldn't have happened.

Still, it's not all on Wilson. If I heard correctly, the offense generated less than 20 yards in the 4th quarter. There is no way the team can win when that happens, particularly against a team like ASU.

concerned
11-09-2013, 05:45 PM
as we were leaving the stadium, we try to remember the last game we had a first down in the 4th quarter. We couldn't remember. Certainly wasn't Stanford or any game since then, except maybe garbage time.after today I really have doubts the Travis is going to be a QB. He doesn't make a decision fast enough or his reads.we had this game won and to lose it was very discouraging. each time we came on the field in the 4th quarter, our group would start a pool as to whether York or pool would get the call on 1st and 2nd down, and whether he would gain more than the yard. Pretty much everybody predicted it would be a yard or less. We were right on the play call every single time

GarthUte
11-09-2013, 05:46 PM
Yep. Even when Travis was running great, he still threw a lot of INTs. He's got 16, which amounts to over 2 per game when you consider the time he's missed and one game being against Weber State. Without a doubt, the starting job as we speak is up for grabs next season.

You make an excellent point about Wilson's interceptions; not only are they numerous, but they seem to happen at the most inopportune times.

SoCalPat
11-09-2013, 05:56 PM
You make an excellent point about Wilson's interceptions; not only are they numerous, but they seem to happen at the most inopportune times.

And "inopportune" is a very, very kind choice of words. We've wasted two "miracles" on Wilson this year -- the recovered onside kick vs. UCLA, and our defensive effort today against ASU. You can't win 'em all, so I guess I'll give Wilson a pass for throwing a pick 6 in an OT loss in the highest scoring home game in school history vs. Oregon State.

LA Ute
11-09-2013, 06:07 PM
And "inopportune" is a very, very kind choice of words. We've wasted two "miracles" on Wilson this year -- the recovered onside kick vs. UCLA, and our defensive effort today against ASU. You can't win 'em all, so I guess I'll give Wilson a pass for throwing a pick 6 in an OT loss in the highest scoring home game in school history vs. Oregon State.

I hate to pile on but he has become sort of a "reverse clutch" player. When we need a great play he makes a disastrous error.

GarthUte
11-09-2013, 06:09 PM

Yeah, I was trying to be nice about it, mostly because I need to make more of an effort to clean up my language. (When the youngest kid in the family asks me why I swear so much, it's time to stop swearing.)

As for that pick 6, that may have been the worse pass he's thrown all year. I'd rather forgive him for one of the weird bounces off a receiver against UCLA.

sancho
11-09-2013, 06:43 PM
I just chopped wood until my hands blistered. I am really taking this loss hard. I really did think that the 2nd TD would be enough for us.

Ironically, Wilson had one the best throws I've ever seen him make today - the long one to Dres. It seems we have abandoned the short passing game? I keep reliving a 2nd and 6 in the 4th quarter when we desperately needed a first down. It was, of course, a run for no gain. Once UCLA stopped giving our WRs any cushion at all, the blueprint against us was printed.

sancho
11-09-2013, 06:47 PM

If we are going to give up a TD on every opening drive, I would prefer we give them the yardage in 15 yard chunks through a series of cheap shots on opponents' knees.

hostile
11-09-2013, 06:55 PM
Ugh!!! That sucked. So frustrating to watch. Too many mistakes. O-line play continues to be a glaring problem.

UTEopia
11-09-2013, 07:15 PM
There were a lot of things to be discouraged about offensively, but the defense was excellent. I was encouraged by the effort on both sides of the ball and hopefully this loss will motivate as opposed to deflate the team going forward. Unfortunately it seems that we are good enough to play competitive games but not good enough to finish them out. My sense as I watched this game is that we became more conservative offensively when we went ahead 19-7 and then I looked at the play chart. Through the 3rd quarter we had only completed 5 passes, so I would not say that we had played an extremely aggressive game to that point. After looking at the play chart, I would have to say that we did not change anything we were trying to do. ASU ramped things up and the Utes could not finish.Here are our last 4 drives:

Utah 20; 1:35 of 3rd Q
Poole for 3 yards
Poole for 1 yard
Wilson for 1 yard on a scramble

Utah 24; 13:05; 19-14
Sack
York for 1
Incomplete to Dres.

Utah 16; 9:05; 19-14
York for 2
York for 5
York for -2 ** This play call really puzzled me because it was the same play as the previous play. Maybe Travis should have pulled it, I don't know. But this was the play call that I wonder about.

Utah 23; 6:07; 19-14
Travis 4 yards on scramble
Poole for 0
Travis incomplete to Dres. Dres stops and Travis throws down the sideline.

Utah 23; 2:32; 19-20
Travis hit trying to throw out of bounds and ASU defender makes great INT.

Utah 11; 1:20; 19-20
10 yard completion to Fitz
Interference on ASU
Incomplete to Fitz
Int. Looked like both a bad decision and bad execution. Dres was crossing and was well covered. Sutton didn't even need to jump.

It is becoming more and more clear to me that the QB race should be wide open next spring. Travis is not getting any better and in some ways appears to be regressing.

I hope the coaches can keep these guys together and get to 6 wins.

Oh, Trevor's inexplicable decision to go for two in the first quarter when it is clear you don't have the numbers is magnified in a one point loss. However, it really didn't cost the game as ASU would have just kicked the extra point on the final touchdown as opposed to going for 2.

hostile
11-09-2013, 07:24 PM
We really miss having an effective TE.

Hot Lunch
11-09-2013, 08:00 PM
There were a lot of things to be discouraged about offensively, but the defense was excellent. I was encouraged by the effort on both sides of the ball and hopefully this loss will motivate as opposed to deflate the team going forward.

How on earth can you be encouraged by what you saw offensively? The effort that was given on that side was awful. It seems to be that not only do our offensive lineman take plays off, they also take entire series off.

Unfortunatley, there were zero positives from the offensive side of the ball. All positions groups on the offensive side of the were bad today.

Hats off to the defense. It is unfortunate that such a good performance was all for nothing this afternoon.

OrangeUte
11-09-2013, 08:01 PM
We really miss having an effective TE.

Did I see Tonga in the game?

A good TE or fullback who could catch (Shawn Asiata) would have been nice in the 4th quarter to mix things up a little bit on offense.

We get 2 first downs in the 4th and get a little momentum on offense, we chew up 2 more minutes if clock, we win this game.

Our game plan in the first half was to take momentum away from asu through grinding it out and keeping them off the field. That worked great but then they start stuffing us on running plays so we take a few shots down field and get the td by Fitzgerald. After that, out passing game went completely stale. Nobody on offense gets a pass.

Great defense is what we can take from this win. 6-0 is not looking easy.

Hot Lunch
11-09-2013, 08:03 PM

A good TE or fullback who could catch (Shawn Asiata) would have been nice in the 4th quarter to mix things up a little bit on offense.

We get 2 first downs in the 4th and get a little momentum on offense, we chew up 2 more minutes if clock, we win this game.

Our game plan in the first half was to take momentum away from asu through grinding it out and keeping them off the field. That worked great but then they start stuffing us on running plays so we take a few shots down field and get the td by Fitzgerald. After that, out passing game went completely stale. Nobody on offense gets a pass.

Great defense is what we can take from this win. 6-0 is not looking easy.

Tonga is trying to get a medical redshirt. We won't be seeing him again this season. He tore his MCL vs BYU.

OrangeUte
11-09-2013, 08:08 PM
Tonga is trying to get a medical redshirt. We won't be seeing him again this season. He tore his MCL vs BYU.

I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me.

20 first downs for asu v. 12 for the Utes. That's a problem that has plagued us all year on offense. What's the answer? Using more screen passes (effective against Stanford and hardly used at all today), tight ends, full back power runs, I have no idea. I do know that running York and Poole and Wilson today did nothing.

Hot Lunch
11-09-2013, 08:21 PM

20 first downs for asu v. 12 for the Utes. That's a problem that has plagued us all year on offense. What's the answer? Using more screen passes (effective against Stanford and hardly used at all today), tight ends, full back power runs, I have no idea. I do know that running York and Poole and Wilson today did nothing.

I personally feel like it is the o line. I am amazed that how bad they execute blocking for both the run and pass game. It all starts upfront. Utah gets zero push on runs plays and can't protect the passer. It doesn't help that when we do throw the ball, it is usually 3rd and long and our receivers can't get open vs man coverage.

The offense has so many problems. I get that we lost 3 key contributors, none of which were to starting o lineman, but injuries are part of the game. The personal on offense is not good enough.

SoCalPat
11-09-2013, 08:21 PM

Find a way to clone Shawn Asiata for this year's team. He was our offensive MVP in 2011, but we don't have that battering ram player who can block, catch out of the backfield and mindjack with opposing defenses by lining him up everywhere.

With Shawn, we still played 11 vs. 11 on offense in 2011. (With an above average QB, it would have been 12 on 11.)This year, minus our TEs and tackles who are better suited for guard, we're playing 10 on 11 on offense. Or so it seems. We're so compromised in what we can do because of the absence of Scott, Murphy and Tonga.

UTEopia
11-09-2013, 08:26 PM
How on earth can you be encouraged by what you saw offensively? The effort that was given on that side was awful. It seems to be that not only do our offensive lineman take plays off, they also take entire series off.

Unfortunatley, there were zero positives from the offensive side of the ball. All positions groups on the offensive side of the were bad today.

Hats off to the defense. It is unfortunate that such a good performance was all for nothing this afternoon.

Talent level, execution and effort are three different things. I thought that unlike the UA game, the offense fought their asses off the entire game. The fact that the OL is unable to complete their blocks and the WRs are unable to get separation from the DBs is an issue of talent level not effort and not necessarily execution. Sometimes you lose because of lack of effort. Sometimes you lose because you don't execute. Sometimes the other players are simply better even when you do execute. The Utes lost the UA game due to lack of effort which resulted in poor exectution. IMO, that was not the case today so that was a positive is a sea of offensive negatives.

UTEopia
11-09-2013, 08:30 PM
Find a way to clone Shawn Asiata for this year's team. He was our offensive MVP in 2011, but we don't have that battering ram player who can block, catch out of the backfield and mindjack with opposing defenses by lining him up everywhere.

With Shawn, we still played 11 vs. 11 on offense in 2011. (With an above average QB, it would have been 12 on 11.)This year, minus our TEs and tackles who are better suited for guard, we're playing 10 on 11 on offense. Or so it seems. We're so compromised in what we can do because of the absence of Scott, Murphy and Tonga.

Not to mention that in 2011 our offensive line had 1 all conference and 1 honorable mention tackle and Stevens and Brenner who are both on NFL practice squads as we speak. We also had a healthy John White IV.

DrumNFeather
11-09-2013, 08:48 PM
In hindsight, and even at the time, how big was York's personal foul? Now, the ref allowed that situation to get out of hand, but still, we have to have better discipline than that.

Hot Lunch
11-09-2013, 08:50 PM
Talent level, execution and effort are three different things. I thought that unlike the UA game, the offense fought their asses off the entire game. The fact that the OL is unable to complete their blocks and the WRs are unable to get separation from the DBs is an issue of talent level not effort and not necessarily execution. Sometimes you lose because of lack of effort. Sometimes you lose because you don't execute. Sometimes the other players are simply better even when you do execute. The Utes lost the UA game due to lack of effort which resulted in poor exectution. IMO, that was not the case today so that was a positive is a sea of offensive negatives.

Actually, effort does effect the way the line completes their blocks. It plays a huge role in that.

hostile
11-09-2013, 09:09 PM
In hindsight, and even at the time, how big was York's personal foul? Now, the ref allowed that situation to get out of hand, but still, we have to have better discipline than that.

That was just plain stupid. Right in front of the ref. Gotta be smarter.

UTEopia
11-09-2013, 09:25 PM
Actually, effort does effect the way the line completes their blocks. It plays a huge role in that.

I should have said that tonight the inability of the OL to complete their blocks was the result of talent level and not effort. Against UA I thought it was effort not talent level.

LA Ute
11-09-2013, 09:26 PM
I am just curious. Has any information come out about Travis Wilson's hand? Was that the reason the offense was so weird tonight and so few passes were attempted - and those that were attempted seemed like floaters?

sancho
11-09-2013, 09:26 PM
What's the answer? Using more screen passes (effective against Stanford and hardly used at all today), tight ends, full back power runs, I have no idea.

With the defense crashing through the left side every down, maybe we could have Wilson roll right on occasion.

Besides screens, we also seem to have abandoned play action, misdirection, end arounds, and runs to the edges.

Like you, I don't know what can work. Maybe nothing can work without the proper pieces.

hostile
11-09-2013, 09:34 PM
I am just curious. Has any information come out about Travis Wilson's hand? Was that the reason the offense was so weird tonight and so few passes were attempted - and those that were attempted seems like floaters?
Everyone is saying the hand is fine, 100%.

The offensive line play and inability to protect the passer is probably why so few passes were attempted and why less than 1/3 of those were completed.

UTEopia
11-09-2013, 10:00 PM
I think the hand is fine. Wilson almost never gets a chance to set his feet and make a proper throw and I think that is the biggest problem with him. We were in max protection a lot of the night and ASU was still able to collapse the pocket and make him uncomfortable.

OrangeUte
11-09-2013, 10:38 PM
Jacoby Hale gives a great post game interview. Emotional and honest.

http://espn.kall700sports.com/category/recent-interviews/

UtahDan
11-10-2013, 07:49 AM
I think the hand is fine. Wilson almost never gets a chance to set his feet and make a proper throw and I think that is the biggest problem with him. We were in max protection a lot of the night and ASU was still able to collapse the pocket and make him uncomfortable.

I need to rematch but I thought there were plenty of times where he did get set and was no where in the neighborhood. To my eyes there is something wrong with him, whether hand or something else.

Applejack
11-10-2013, 07:59 AM
I need to rematch but I thought there were plenty of times where he did get set and was no where in the neighborhood. To my eyes there is something wrong with him, whether hand or something else.

A lot of throws off his backfoot yesterday. Including that backbreaker of an INT into double coverage.

sancho
11-10-2013, 08:11 AM
A thought from ESPN to torture us:

3. ASU almost had a problem: First, give credit to Utah’s defense, which once again came to play. And with the ASU offense struggling, it was the defense that stepped up and kept the Sun Devils in the game. Over the last four games, the Sun Devils are allowing fewer than 20 points per game. And they were clutch in the fourth quarter in the 20-19 win over Utah. The ASU defense held Utah to a three-and-out or a turnover in all five of the Utes' fourth-quarter possessions. And here’s a fun note from our Stats & Info folks: According to ESPN’s win probability model, Arizona State had a 7.1% chance of winning at the end of the third quarter. Entering this weekend, only 17 FBS teams have come back to win after having a win probability of 7.1% or lower. The offense finally came alive and scored 13 points in the fourth. Utah had won 49 straight games when leading at halftime.

concerned
11-10-2013, 09:01 AM

More torture: they posted the statement that Utah had won 40 straight games when leading at halftime on the scoreboard about halfway through the 3rd quarter (right after we went up 19-7, IIRC), which probably was the kiss of death.

LA Ute
11-10-2013, 09:01 AM

Ouch.

LA Ute
11-10-2013, 09:09 AM
A lot of throws off his backfoot yesterday. Including that backbreaker of an INT into double coverage.

Yes, but I still blame the OL. When the pocket falls apart immediately all game long I'm not sure we can expect Travis to be perfectly poised in the 2-3 plays when he's not running for his life. He has his own problems but his OL has to give him a chance.

I think we just lack the horses on the OL. Whose responsibility is that? Finn hasn't been around long enough to be blamed for recruiting.

USS Utah
11-10-2013, 11:48 AM
How on earth can you be encouraged by what you saw offensively?

Utah ran the ball well until ASU stacked the box.

USS Utah
11-10-2013, 11:51 AM
as we were leaving the stadium, we try to remember the last game we had a first down in the 4th quarter. We couldn't remember. Certainly wasn't Stanford or any game since then, except maybe garbage time.after today I really have doubts the Travis is going to be a QB. He doesn't make a decision fast enough or his reads.we had this game won and to lose it was very discouraging. each time we came on the field in the 4th quarter, our group would start a pool as to whether York or pool would get the call on 1st and 2nd down, and whether he would gain more than the yard. Pretty much everybody predicted it would be a yard or less. We were right on the play call every single time

I honsestly don't know what people expect from a QB who is getting no protection from his offenisve line. It's not like Travis had a lot of time to make reads and decisions.

USS Utah
11-10-2013, 11:53 AM
I hate to pile on but he has become sort of a "reverse clutch" player. When we need a great play he makes a disastrous error.

Late in the game, trying to make plays to set up a game winning field goal, and the two ASU defenders made great plays.

SeattleUte
11-10-2013, 11:54 AM
We have a pretty good team! We've been in every game in what may be the toughest conference in the nation. We beat one of the five best teams in the nation, and it's between us and Stanford as to who in the nation has beaten the best team. Our defense is top tier. We have an enviable running game and an elite receiver who heads up a quality corps. We may have the best kicker in the conference. We have one problem, and it's been that way since 2009 -- quarterback. Unfortunately, qb is the most important position in team sports, and prospects are wildly unpredictable.

LA wants to scapegoat the O line. But based on our running game I'm skeptical it's all the O line's fault. This staff has lost confidence in this qb. Yesterday was the football equivalent of a half court Princeton style offense. Then when we had to get a field goal (with our awesome kicker) to win the game, two INTs ensued.

USS Utah
11-10-2013, 11:57 AM

That was someone else whose last name is somethingsomethingtonga.

USS Utah
11-10-2013, 12:01 PM
I am just curious. Has any information come out about Travis Wilson's hand? Was that the reason the offense was so weird tonight and so few passes were attempted - and those that were attempted seemed like floaters?

I'm pretty sure the reason was the offensive line, or the lack thereof.

USS Utah
11-10-2013, 12:11 PM
I understand people being unhappy, but outside of a nonexistant O-line, Utah is better this year than last, and depsite all the players lost to injury. Last year Utah would have been blown out by OSU, UCLA, USC, Arizona, And probably Stanford. It's painful, but these close losses are a sign of progress. Being this close, we can breakout next year and win some of these games if we keep improving.

Before joining the Pac, we discounted the "week-in-week-out" arguments. But we have learned that those arguments were more right than wrong. After losing Scott, Murphy and Tonga, it should be clear that we still need to close the gap on Pac-12 depth.

The magnitude of the challenge facing Whittingham and the Utes has become more clear each of the last three years. Has Kyle made mistakes? Yes. But I will continue to argue that he should get two more years because of the difficulty of making the transition from a mostly weak MWC to one of the best conference in the nation.

Again, no offensive line, no tight ends, no depth, only 2 receivers (Fitz & Denham only combine to be one), but a Very good defense. Oh, and the toughest schedule in the nation.

Yes,, this sucks, but short term pain, long term gain.

SeattleUte
11-10-2013, 01:56 PM
I understand people being unhappy, but outside of a nonexistant O-line, Utah is better this year than last, and depsite all the players lost to injury. Last year Utah would have been blown out by OSU, UCLA, USC, Arizona, And probably Stanford. It's painful, but these close losses are a sign of progress. Being this close, we can breakout next year and win some of these games if we keep improving.

Before joining the Pac, we discounted the "week-in-week-out" arguments. But we have learned that those arguments were more right than wrong. After losing Scott, Murphy and Tonga, it should be clear that we still need to close the gap on Pac-12 depth.

The magnitude of the challenge facing Whittingham and the Utes has become more clear each of the last three years. Has Kyle made mistakes? Yes. But I will continue to argue that he should get two more years because of the difficulty of making the transition from a mostly weak MWC to one of the best conference in the nation.

Again, no offensive line, no tight ends, no depth, only 2 receivers (Fitz & Denham only combine to be one), but a Very good defense. Oh, and the toughest schedule in the nation.

Yes,, this sucks, but short term pain, long term gain.

I don't sense that anyone here is too upset.

LA Ute
11-10-2013, 02:05 PM
Late in the game, trying to make plays to set up a game winning field goal, and the two ASU defenders made great plays.

As I said, I don't want to be too hard on the guy. But the QB needs to avoid mistakes like that. I really do think he still has some very good football ahead of him, but we'll see.

We have a pretty good team! We've been in every game in what may be the toughest conference in the nation. We beat one of the five best teams in the nation, and it's between us and Stanford as to who in the nation has beaten the best team. Our defense is top tier. We have an enviable running game and an elite receiver who heads up a quality corps. We may have the best kicker in the conference. We have one problem, and it's been that way since 2009 -- quarterback. Unfortunately, qb is the most important position in team sports, and prospects are wildly unpredictable.

LA wants to scapegoat the O line. But based on our running game I'm skeptical it's all the O line's fault. This staff has lost confidence in this qb. Yesterday was the football equivalent of a half court Princeton style offense. Then when we had to get a field goal (with our awesome kicker) to win the game, two INTs ensued.

Not scapegoating just calling the way it looks, and it looks pretty obvious. If you recorded the game, watch our offensive series and see how often the O-line actually gave Wilson a pocket.

I'm still optimistic. I think this is probably "the year before the year." We could be pretty decent next year.

SoCalPat
11-10-2013, 02:54 PM
As I said, I don't want to be too hard on the guy. But the QB needs to avoid mistakes like that. I really do think he still has some very good football ahead of him, but we'll see.

Not scapegoating just calling the way it looks, and it looks pretty obvious. If you recorded the game, watch our offensive series and see how often the O-line actually gave Wilson a pocket.

I'm still optimistic. I think this is probably "the year before the year." We could be pretty decent next year.

I think that's the toughest thing about this year. The O-line was supposed to be an unquestioned strength. If I'm Kyle, I feel betrayed to some extent with how he talked that unit up in the preseason. Instead, it's regressing. Meanwhile, our secondary has gotten noticeably better after the OSU debacle.

As for Travis, we've seen him at his best, but no Utah QB at his worst has thrown as many INTs as Wilson has in what ... 30 years?

U-Ute
11-10-2013, 05:24 PM

Travis looked scared to throw it for the first half of the game. It is a hard enough gig with guys flying all around, but he wasn't getting any time at all either. He wasn't going to try and guess so he either ran or threw the ball away nearly every time instead of trying to make a play. Once he was forced to throw under those circumstances late in the game, bad things happened.

My biggest concern is that Wilson is a total head case right now. He doesn't trust anything that is going on. His confidence seems completely shot.

I am not sure I can blame him.