PDA

View Full Version : The 2013 Season Review Thread

Pages : 1 [2]

Devildog
12-04-2013, 06:23 PM
I was pretty sure that's what you meant.

As I am sure you are aware, the enemy gets a vote. The other teams are working toward the same end.

More successfully than we are.

I think we are covering some of the same ground over and over. What we see depends on where we stand, our vantage points are obviously different on this... but believe it or not... I think we are still on the same side.

Progress might mean Kyle gets uncomfortable and some of his assistants might need to find employment elsewhere. There are many millions involved here and this game is high stakes... we wanted it and we got it.

I hope Kyle is the guy to lead our team. I like him and really respect what he has done for the program in the past, but it hasn't looked good lately.

I want to see our Utes expecting to beat the competition... I'd like to begin by seeing us consistently win the home field, and start to steal some road games and build up from there.

Hopefully 2-7 is as far as we fall.

LA Ute
12-04-2013, 06:47 PM
It occurs to me that those who really want to help Utah Athletics press forward should consider joining the Crimson Club. We're in an arms race and the U. needs money.

End of pitch. :D

sancho
12-05-2013, 08:41 AM
Ugh - list of starting QBs in the Pac-12 next season: Mariota, Hundley, Mannion, Halliday, Kelly, Hogan, Goff, Kessler

The only question marks are at Utah, UW, Arizona, and CU

DrumNFeather
12-05-2013, 09:35 AM
It occurs to me that those who really want to help Utah Athletics press forward should consider joining the Crimson Club. We're in an arms race and the U. needs money.

End of pitch. :D

Fat chance. Every spare nickel I have is going to my healthcare. Thanks Obama! :cry:

LA Ute
12-05-2013, 09:40 AM
Ugh - list of starting QBs in the Pac-12 next season: Mariota, Hundley, Mannion, Halliday, Kelly, Hogan, Goff, Kessler

A healthy Wilson, up through the Stanford game, would match up well with the other names on that list.

Jut another example of how close we are. It's maddening. After the UCLA game I thought 2013 would be "the year before the year." It still could be that, but it's more likely the year before the year before the year we start winning a lot of PAC-12 games.

concerned
12-05-2013, 09:59 AM

Have Mannion and Halliday announced they are staying? I thought they might go, esp. if Mariota and Hundley dont.

sancho
12-05-2013, 10:09 AM
Jut another example of how close we are. It's maddening. After the UCLA game I thought 2013 would be "the year before the year." It still could be that, but it's more likely the year before the year before the year we start winning a lot of PAC-12 games.

We should just start making bumper stickers that say "the year before the year" and make it a permanent slogan.

sancho
12-05-2013, 10:11 AM
Have Mannion and Halliday announced they are staying? I thought they might go, esp. if Mariota and Hundley dont.

No, and I don't think Hundley has made an official announcement yet either. But I bet Mora convinced him before deciding to turn down UW.

I'll cross my fingers on those guys leaving.

SoCalPat
12-05-2013, 12:52 PM
Interesting story on Devontae Booker. Apparently, he was ruled ineligible because he attempted to forge his transcript.

http://www.arcurrent.com/sports/2013/11/22/forged-transcript-costs-running-back-devontae-booker-division-i-scholarship/

Diehard Ute
12-05-2013, 12:54 PM
Interesting story on Devontae Booker. Apparently, he was ruled ineligible because he attempted to forge his transcript.

http://www.arcurrent.com/sports/2013/11/22/forged-transcript-costs-running-back-devontae-booker-division-i-scholarship/

Yeah, the Trib had a story on this a week or two ago

Hadrian
12-08-2013, 01:50 AM
If Finn is gone, we could pick up Tim Davis as a the new (old) OL coach. He just got fired from Florida.

UTEopia
12-08-2013, 10:07 AM
If Finn is gone, we could pick up Tim Davis as a the new (old) OL coach. He just got fired from Florida.

Davis isn't coming back to Utah.

sancho
12-09-2013, 09:07 AM
I think this is a fun article on playoff possibilities:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/12/9/5191512/college-football-playoff-bracket-2013

Which do you prefer?

DrumNFeather
12-09-2013, 09:42 AM

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/12/9/5191512/college-football-playoff-bracket-2013

Which do you prefer?

8 is probably the max number that would work. 6 is interesting.

cald22well
12-09-2013, 09:57 AM

Which do you prefer?

I think that 1 of 2 things needs to happen. Either the Big 5 Conferences need to split off and form a new division or every conference champion needs to have an automatic spot. I like the 16 team model because 6 at large spots give plenty of openings for all of the teams that believe that they still deserve a shot, even though they didn't win their conference.

I like the idea of home field advantage to give incentive and also let the losers in the first round go to a bowl game.

If the Big 5 split off, then 5 auto bids with 3 at large would be very simple.

Jarid in Cedar
01-06-2014, 12:04 PM
VJ Fehoko and LT Filiaga both transferring out of the program today.

DrumNFeather
01-06-2014, 12:12 PM
VJ Fehoko and LT Filiaga both transferring out of the program today.

Some writing on the wall for them at the LB position.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-06-2014, 04:31 PM
Bill Riley mentioned that the football program is holding a press conference tomorrow. Anyone have any insight into what this is about?

Scorcho
01-06-2014, 04:43 PM
Bill Riley mentioned that the football program is holding a press conference tomorrow. Anyone have any insight into what this is about?

guessing introducing Dave Christensen (which they mentioned they would do after the holidays)

Diehard Ute
01-06-2014, 05:06 PM
guessing introducing Dave Christensen (which they mentioned they would do after the holidays)

Yes. Kyle declined to comment on DC today preferring to wait till tomorrow.

Utah
01-07-2014, 04:00 AM
After seeing all the RS Freshman QB's have success this bowl season, and knowing Auburn only had 3 wins last year, I have high hopes for 2014.

We will almost be a full fledged PAC-12 team, and if Wilson can play, we may actually be one, we have a great defense, and we have a great HC that has the ability to win big games. If our offense would catch up to the rest of the team, watch out. Yay for DC.

I think we are bowling next year.

jrj84105
01-07-2014, 08:28 AM
8 is probably the max number that would work. 6 is interesting.
It would be best if the conferences would consolidate down to 8 FBS conferences. I think you could do an eight team playoff with losers' brackets (but no way to play back into the winner's bracket). That would give every team 3 post season games. Just eliminate the majority of OOC play (leave one game) and then have every team participate in one of these 8 team/three game post season tournaments based on conference standings.

SoCalPat
01-07-2014, 09:06 AM
I'd say last night easily makes my lifetime top 5 when it comes to games that decided the national championship. In no particular order ...

1983, Miami vs. Nebraska. Every superlative you can think of applies to this game. Historically significant in that it ushered in the era of Florida dominance in college football.

1987, Miami vs. Penn State. When you think of the BCS, this is the game that started it all, IMO. An arranged 1 vs. 2 that fell outside of the four major bowls of the day. Brilliant.

2005, Texas vs. USC. Easily the greatest game of the BCS era

2013, Florida State vs. Auburn. Right up there with Texas-USC, minus the established star power

2002, Ohio State vs. Miami. The only overtime BCS title game (it actually went double OT) with about a half-dozen "plays of the game." The more I think about it, probably closer to Texas-USC than last night's game was.

Scratch
01-07-2014, 09:44 AM
Plus, this happened last night:

http://player.ooyala.com/iframe.html#ec=NteHZsajpmj4Hm9myfzG5VouPMmToaRt&pbid=e7e908eebffd4efeb96a3096aa9b4bd0&docUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nydailynews.com%2Fsports%2 Fcollege%2Fespn-brent-musberger-introduces-kirk-herbstreit-article-1.1568079

U-Ute
01-07-2014, 10:25 AM
Plus, this happened last night:

http://player.ooyala.com/iframe.html#ec=NteHZsajpmj4Hm9myfzG5VouPMmToaRt&pbid=e7e908eebffd4efeb96a3096aa9b4bd0&docUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nydailynews.com%2Fsports%2 Fcollege%2Fespn-brent-musberger-introduces-kirk-herbstreit-article-1.1568079

Hahaha... I can't believe I missed that. The bemused look on Kirk's face is priceless.

GarthUte
01-07-2014, 10:46 AM
I only saw the last 5 minutes of the game last night (I had it in my head that the game was tonight).

In truth, I saw all I needed to see.