PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about stadium expansion

Hadrian
02-20-2013, 10:04 PM
This deserves more discussion than it got. Here's the video released by the athletics department:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgRpMDttLoQ

And here's the render from the video:
http://s4.postimage.org/eers4kvfh/Rice_Eccles_Stadium_Expansion.png

What do you guys think? Do you like the plans that have been presented? Do you think it will happen anytime soon?

NorthwestUteFan
02-20-2013, 10:11 PM
Wow, is that the South End Zone? That brings a tear to my eye, it is so beautiful!

Devildog
02-20-2013, 10:14 PM
What do you guys think? Do you like the plans that have been presented? Do you think it will happen anytime soon?

I think that looks outstanding! I would love to see that get built.

I would like to see the game day locker rooms under the south stands be constructed nice enough to sway opinion in our direction, with recruits making the choice between Utah and other programs.

Leaving the bad-ass locker room and entering a sold out roaring Rice-Eccles sure wouldn't hurt recruiting.

LA Ute
02-20-2013, 10:56 PM
I think the basketball and football practice facilities will have an immediate impact on recruiting. That's not something very visible to us as fans but it is real.

Jarid in Cedar
02-20-2013, 11:09 PM
I know some don't like the luxury boxes in the end zone, but I think they will be successful. I really like the overall look.

San Diego Ute Fan
02-20-2013, 11:18 PM
Wow that's nice. Hope Dr Hill pulls the plans out of his drawer and makes it happen. Colorado just announced $170M in football facility upgrades.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=ncf&id=8968420

Hadrian
02-20-2013, 11:22 PM
I'm guessing that this SEZ expansion would be $50-$150 million by itself. The 1997 rebuild of Rice-Eccles cost $50 million and Hill said that this expansion would cost even more than that.

I get the feeling that we won't see this expansion anytime soon unless we have some really good seasons.

Jarid in Cedar
02-20-2013, 11:25 PM
I'm guessing that this SEZ expansion would be $50-$150 million by itself. The 1997 rebuild of Rice-Eccles cost $50 million and Hill said that this expansion would cost even more than that.

I get the feeling that we won't see this expansion anytime soon unless we have some really good seasons.

I know HeartlessUtes is well connected with the construction world and he has thrown out $70 Mil as a ball park number.

Devildog
02-20-2013, 11:52 PM
Wow that's nice. Hope Dr Hill pulls the plans out of his drawer and makes it happen. Colorado just announced $170M in football facility upgrades.

Colorado needs that money bad. Their facilities are way behind the curve. Folsom Field is cool though.

Our new football center is looking good and looks to be nearing completion.

OrangeUte
02-21-2013, 12:20 AM
Colorado needs that money bad. Their facilities are way behind the curve. Folsom Field is cool though.

Our new football center is looking good and looks to be nearing completion.

I heard from a buddy that it is ahead of schedule and looks impressive. Nicely done Dr. Hill.

Devildog
02-21-2013, 01:21 AM
I heard from a buddy that it is ahead of schedule and looks impressive. Nicely done Dr. Hill.

This football center is a big upgrade from what we had before. The new center looks great, it is much larger and nicer.

Now we should enclose the south stands at the stadium. Imagine how loud that would be down there.

Hell, I'm doing my part by renewing my season tickets. ;)

Edit*

Does anybody know how many seats that expansion would add to the seating capacity of Rice-Eccles?

Hill said that some teams were looking to reduce seating capacity in their stadiums and that Utah and Oregon were the only two consistently at capacity. I'm thinking around 55,000 seats sounds like a good PAC 12 average, and I think the Utes could get that filled for big games right now, let alone future growth.

hardcoreUTE
02-21-2013, 01:38 AM

I used to work with a company that worked a lot with FFKR. I saw these exact plans, and 5 others, during a meeting back in 07, this has long been on the drawing board (obviously since the footing is in place for expansion so there was foresight there). Nice to know what ones they went with, these weren't my favorite but they're better than the others I saw. I didn't get a lot of information because I was there for a different project but at the time I heard the plans ranged between $55-105mil. It's a large price range but one plan was just a remodel of the SEZ and one was closing the SEZ and adding an upperdeck and pressbox to the East side so I'd be inclined to go with the $70mil figure Jarid heard from HeartlessUte.

hardcoreUTE
02-21-2013, 05:13 AM
This football center is a big upgrade from what we had before. The new center looks great, it is much larger and nicer.

Now we should enclose the south stands at the stadium. Imagine how loud that would be down there.

Hell, I'm doing my part by renewing my season tickets. ;)

Edit*

Does anybody know how many seats that expansion would add to the seating capacity of Rice-Eccles?

Hill said that some teams were looking to reduce seating capacity in their stadiums and that Utah and Oregon were the only two consistently at capacity. I'm thinking around 55,000 seats sounds like a good PAC 12 average, and I think the Utes could get that filled for big games right now, let alone future growth.

I think The expansion is shooting for between 55,000 and 60,000. What Hill doesn't mention is that those other programs that are reducing their capacity is because they can't fill up all 85,000 seats and a packed house looks better on TV. I think if they set up a real waiting list for season tix, including new ticket holders and current ones wanting to expand, they would see there is demand for tickets. Though much will be said for ticket sales when renewal comes to a close and the remainder go on sale. Last year had a 98% renewal rate and after that season I think it'll drop a little.

big z
02-21-2013, 05:59 AM
If/When Utah decides to expand I think demand will be there for the tickets, our vistor's section right now is pathetic. These past two seasons i've seen more visiting fans than I had in previous years from MWC school.

With Michigan, U$C and Oregon coming to town the need for more seating will be there and right now we just don't have it.

I'm trying to track down the link for it, but my Oregon buddy told me last night that the Ducks are dropping another 150 Million on expanding their football facilities.

utefan
02-23-2013, 07:54 AM
It's nice to know this is really being discussed at a high level.

I'd seen lots of posters mention it was being discussed, but I hadn't seen anything official.

Maybe with Salt Lake pondering another Olympic bid, this gets put on the fast track.

It has to happen, and it needs to be soon. 45,000 is not big enough for a major program in a major conference. I'd like to see it go to around 65,000. There's no reason why the biggest city in the state shouldn't have the biggest stadium.

LA Ute
02-23-2013, 11:53 AM
My guess is we are going to top out at about 55,000.

Tacoma Ute
02-23-2013, 11:58 AM
It's nice to know this is really being discussed at a high level.

I'd seen lots of posters mention it was being discussed, but I hadn't seen anything official.

Maybe with Salt Lake pondering another Olympic bid, this gets put on the fast track.

It has to happen, and it needs to be soon. 45,000 is not big enough for a major program in a major conference. I'd like to see it go to around 65,000. There's no reason why the biggest city in the state shouldn't have the biggest stadium.

I think about 58,000 would be enough for now. We shouldn't factor in the size of the TDS' stadium into the equation. That's a different animal. Let's go quality over quantity.

Tutclub
02-23-2013, 12:04 PM
My guess is we are going to top out at about 55,000.

I hope your right, 53,000 (2k visitors) Ute fans would be a fantastic environment!! You go much bigger and it creates bad seats!!

OrangeUte
02-23-2013, 12:33 PM
I think about 58,000 would be enough for now. We shouldn't factor in the size of the TDS' stadium into the equation. That's a different animal. Let's go quality over quantity.

My thought exactly. 55K in the current configuration with the south endzone enclosed would be a beautiful and loud and good sized stadium.

utefan
02-23-2013, 12:49 PM

I'm not really factoring in TDS's stadium to get to that number. I'm mostly factoring in the size of the other PAC 12 stadiums. I think Utah should be right up there with rest of them.

I do think if TDS can support that number Utah can as well. However, I'm not saying Utah has to have it just because TDS has it.

I'll take 55,000 and be happy about it, absolutely. I would be even happier if they leveled off the north end zone so the top was level with the rest of the stadium, redid the south end zone so it was enclosed, and brought the capacity up to around 65,000.

Tacoma Ute
02-23-2013, 12:54 PM
I'm not really factoring in TDS's stadium to get to that number. I'm mostly factoring in the size of the other PAC 12 stadiums. I think Utah should be right up there with rest of them.

I do think if TDS can support that number Utah can as well. However, I'm not saying Utah has to have it just because TDS has it.

I'll take 55,000 and be happy about it, absolutely. I would be even happier if they leveled off the north end zone so the top was level with the rest of the stadium, redid the south end zone so it was enclosed, and brought the capacity up to around 65,000.

My only fear is that if they expand too much and we have a string of bad years and are not selling out it no longer becomes a "hot ticket". I'd rather see 55,000 in a 55,000 seat stadium than 57,000 in a 68,000 seat stadium.

utefan
02-23-2013, 05:45 PM
My only fear is that if they expand too much and we have a string of bad years and are not selling out it no longer becomes a "hot ticket". I'd rather see 55,000 in a 55,000 seat stadium than 57,000 in a 68,000 seat stadium.

From a business perspective you're probably right. From a fan's perspective, I'd rather be able to buy tickets at a decent price.

So I'd rather see 57,000 people in a 65,000 seat stadium. If they're not selling out then they will lower the prices, and I won't have to buy tickets from scalpers. I would also probably be able to get seats together if I have a few friends that want to go to a game on short notice.

Jarid in Cedar
02-23-2013, 09:39 PM
I hope that we build out to about 60-62,000. I think that gives the best balance between keeping an intimate feeling stadium and increasing ticket inventory for fans.

UTEopia
02-24-2013, 10:11 AM
I believe the buildout that has been talked about most will increase capacity to about 55 - 57k depending on whether they add bleachers or chairs. I have heard it discussed that they might take the student section on the east side, put in chair seats and move the students to the new south endzone on bleachers. Chair seats obviously demand a higher ticket price then bench seats behind the endzone. I fall in the category of people who would like to see expansion start in 3 or 4 years when we see how the demand really is after 4 or 5 years in the PAC12. Although I certainly believe that there are Ute fans who would like to be able to purchase more tickets, it also appears that tickets are being sold on the secondary market more then ever. I am really frustrated with the people around us who sell tickets to the majority of the games to fans of the opposing team. The BYU and USC guys were okay, but the Arizona guys and the Washington and ASU people the year before were total tools. Maybe the expansion will take care of that issue and if it does, I will be a happier camper.

utefan
02-24-2013, 10:37 AM
Expanding the stadium doesn't solve the secondary market problem unless the stadium isn't consistently selling out.

As long as the stadium is sold out, the secondary market for selling tickets will continue to boom.

big z
02-24-2013, 10:43 AM
I'd like to see them put in seats over in the NEZ, too many games over the years when people have packed in and it causes problems.

Horikor
02-26-2013, 09:42 PM
Question about that rendering. Does anyone know what happens to the video board?

Hadrian
02-26-2013, 10:53 PM
Question about that rendering. Does anyone know what happens to the video board?
The render is merely a feasibility study, so they may have not taken the video board into account. Furthermore, I've heard rumors about a new, giant video board on the North side of the stadium.

hardcoreUTE
02-27-2013, 01:10 AM
If those new plans were in place I think the new board would go just to the left, so in the south east corner. I'm not much of a "must keep the view of the mountains" kind of guy but I think the board would look good in the south west corner between the towers.

I've heard the rumor about the north end as well but I don't think they want to take out the scrolling board so I think it'll stay on the south end.

Diehard Ute
02-27-2013, 02:26 AM
If those new plans were in place I think the new board would go just to the left, so in the south east corner. I'm not much of a "must keep the view of the mountains" kind of guy but I think the board would look good in the south west corner between the towers.

I've heard the rumor about the north end as well but I don't think they want to take out the scrolling board so I think it'll stay on the south end.

Guessing it would be in addition to the south. Those of us who sit in the south endzone can't see much of anything now, a second screen on the north end would be welcomed

Hot Lunch
02-27-2013, 08:52 AM
I'd like to see them put in seats over in the NEZ, too many games over the years when people have packed in and it causes problems.

Speaking of the NEZ, I would love to see them paint in red and in block letter UTAH on the roof of the field house. I think that would look pretty cool.

SavaUte
02-27-2013, 09:20 AM
Speaking of the NEZ, I would love to see them paint in red and in block letter UTAH on the roof of the field house. I think that would look pretty cool.

I've always thought that would look awesome. I was talking with a friend of mine about it one day (he was president of one of the lds fraternities, he was a bro) and got told that would be the dumbest thing ever. I always joke with another friend of mine who was there about how putting UTAH on the roof is the stupidest idea imagineable

Crimsonute
02-27-2013, 10:33 AM
Showed the still shot of the South stands to my friend who sits next me at the games. His question, "Where's my Jumbotron?" Hopefully it would be a big screen that would go above the roof. Right? Move the south screen above the NEZ. Hopefully.

LA Ute
03-07-2013, 09:35 PM
This article about PAC-12 football stadiums has been around for awhile but it's a nice compliment to RES.

http://www.azcentral.com/php-bin/commphotos/show.php?colid=20348&slide_nbr=1&fAZ=1&HTTP_REFERER=http://www.azcentral.com/#1

It's also an indicator of how truly fabulous the stadium will be when it is finally expanded.

Scorcho
03-07-2013, 09:53 PM
http://1280thezone.com/index.php/audio/listen/dj_pk_utah_ad_chris_hill_on_the_utes

Hill gave an interview this morning (audio link above). He mentioned again that adding 8,000 seats to the south end zone would cost more than the previous expansion for the Olympics. It sounds like its tabled for the time being.

Diehard Ute
03-08-2013, 01:09 AM
http://1280thezone.com/index.php/audio/listen/dj_pk_utah_ad_chris_hill_on_the_utes

Hill gave an interview this morning (audio link above). He mentioned again that adding 8,000 seats to the south end zone would cost more than the previous expansion for the Olympics. It sounds like its tabled for the time being.

It was never really on the table until 2014 or 2015, as a "ok, let's start fundraising". It will be an entirely separate financial campaign from the invest in athletics one going on now.

Jeromy in SLC
03-08-2013, 08:46 AM
It was never really on the table until 2014 or 2015, as a "ok, let's start fundraising". It will be an entirely separate financial campaign from the invest in athletics one going on now.

My season renewal this year has a section asking for donations devoted to football facilities. I also heard rumors of a season ticket waiting list (FINALLY!). The opportunity is there, so if folks want it, it is time to start ponying up the dough.

stretchiute
03-08-2013, 09:59 AM
I have always thought they should put the bench seats closer together. This coming from someone who has season tix in the East bleachers btw. One thing that stood out to me during my trip to South Bend was that the stadium didn't look that big but that it was mostly, if not all benches and that the seats were close together.

I bet if they did this, they could add at least 500-1000 tix. If they did it only in the student section, since they all cram down anyway, they could open up the last 5-10 rows to the general public and fill the corners, which make a sold out stadium look partially empty.

Quick fixes until expansion.

wally
03-08-2013, 10:12 AM
My season renewal this year has a section asking for donations devoted to football facilities. I also heard rumors of a season ticket waiting list (FINALLY!). The opportunity is there, so if folks want it, it is time to start ponying up the dough.

This is good to hear. Should one contact the ticket office for this waiting list or is there a better route? I am in the market for season tix.

Utah
03-08-2013, 10:26 AM
This is good to hear. Should one contact the ticket office for this waiting list or is there a better route? I am in the market for season tix.

I've spoken to the ticket office a lot about this. May 15th is the deadline to get on the waiting list.

You don't have to "donate" to get on there, but you are ordered on the list by donation size. $1500 guarantees you some form of season tickets this year (this means you will have a chance to buy season tickets. If you ask for 6, you may not get all six together, but you will get six season tickets. It might be 4 together in one section and 2 in another).

The rep told me that they do get a fair ways down the list, and that $500 donation would get you a very good shot at getting season tickets, but to guarantee tickets, you have to donate $1500.

The donation is a one time thing, meaning that if you donate $1500 for tickets, next year you don't have to donate that again to keep the tickets.

Some seats have a required donation every year. That is in addition to the waiting list donation.

Hope that helps.

UteBeliever aka Port
03-08-2013, 01:42 PM
I've spoken to the ticket office a lot about this. May 15th is the deadline to get on the waiting list.

You don't have to "donate" to get on there, but you are ordered on the list by donation size. $1500 guarantees you some form of season tickets this year (this means you will have a chance to buy season tickets. If you ask for 6, you may not get all six together, but you will get six season tickets. It might be 4 together in one section and 2 in another).

The rep told me that they do get a fair ways down the list, and that $500 donation would get you a very good shot at getting season tickets, but to guarantee tickets, you have to donate $1500.

The donation is a one time thing, meaning that if you donate $1500 for tickets, next year you don't have to donate that again to keep the tickets.

Some seats have a required donation every year. That is in addition to the waiting list donation.

Hope that helps.

A list that is not publicized is no better than no list at all for purposes of measuring demand and need for stadium. expansion.

Devildog
03-08-2013, 02:05 PM
I have always thought they should put the bench seats closer together. This coming from someone who has season tix in the East bleachers btw. One thing that stood out to me during my trip to South Bend was that the stadium didn't look that big but that it was mostly, if not all benches and that the seats were close together.

I bet if they did this, they could add at least 500-1000 tix. If they did it only in the student section, since they all cram down anyway, they could open up the last 5-10 rows to the general public and fill the corners, which make a sold out stadium look partially empty.

Quick fixes until expansion.

Uh... No thanks.

I am fortunate enough to sit in the seats on the lower West side with the older folks. The tickets are expensive and I'm packed in there like a sardine. I'm not overweight, but some in my section are and they "hang over" into others seats. I'm not bitchin', it's all part of the game day stadium experience, but damn... packing the seats in closer for the school to make 1000 additional seats from the existing benches seems like a shit deal for the fans.

http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww59/RuggedH2/100_2025_zps3df41a31.jpg

chrisrenrut
03-08-2013, 02:56 PM
A list that is not publicized is no better than no list at all for purposes of measuring demand and need for stadium. expansion.

Publicized to whom? Why would the public need to know the details about the list inorder to measure demand? I guarantee Chris Hill is well aware of the list. I would also think he shares that info with the university president.

Scratch
03-08-2013, 03:16 PM
Publicized to whom? Why would the public need to know the details about the list inorder to measure demand? I guarantee Chris Hill is well aware of the list. I would also think he shares that info with the university president.

I read that as meaning that the existence of the waiting list is publicized. In other words, to make it known that there is a waiting list that people should be getting on if they want tickets in the future.

big z
03-08-2013, 03:19 PM
When they expand they need to add more restrooms and add troughs

chrisrenrut
03-08-2013, 03:34 PM
I read that as meaning that the existence of the waiting list is publicized. In other words, to make it known that there is a waiting list that people should be getting on if they want tickets in the future.

Hmm. I'm not sure the knowledge of the existence of a list would generate more interest from the public. If someone is interested, they'll call or log on and find out the options. And anyone with basic internet skills can find out about the waiting process (https://tkt.xosn.com/tickets/TicketHome.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=1400&_MODE_=PERFORMERCATEGORY&SALE_TKT_PERFORMER_ID=1&SALE_TKT_SALE_CATEGORIES_ID=276).

Diehard Ute
03-08-2013, 03:53 PM
When they expand they need to add more restrooms and add troughs

Troughs are against the building code

big z
03-08-2013, 04:38 PM
Troughs are against the building code

Interesting

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Hadrian
05-02-2013, 12:04 AM
Unfortunately there's no news regarding our own stadium expansion, but I saw this in the news and thought I'd share:

A&M is spending $450 million to expand Kyle Field to 102,000.
www.kylefield.com (http://www.kylefield.com)

http://kylefield.com/sites/all/themes/field/images/parallax/slide_8/slide-8-nightshot.png

FountainOfUte
05-02-2013, 09:36 AM
Unfortunately there's no news regarding our own stadium expansion, but I saw this in the news and thought I'd share:

A&M is spending $450 million to expand Kyle Field to 102,000.
www.kylefield.com (http://www.kylefield.com)

I'm sure I'm a boob, but I'd rather watch the game at home on TV than watch it from half of those seats.

Crimsonute
05-06-2013, 11:20 AM
I'm sure I'm a boob, but I'd rather watch the game at home on TV than watch it from half of those seats.I'll call you, "a boob", but I entered the HD world last December, and I'd have to agree with you. Sporting events are Amazing in HD.

Diehard Ute
05-14-2013, 03:59 PM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865580023/Utes-football-No-changes-imminent-for-Rice-Eccles-Stadium.html

From the Deseret News. There are also articles about basketball and other facilities I'll post there

UTEopia
06-07-2013, 08:56 AM
When i received my season ticket notice in January I called my rep to see about getting two additional seats somewhere in the north endzone so that my kids would be able to go to games when they are in town. I was told I could jump to the head of the line by paying a one time $1,500.00 donation or that I could just take my chances based on my CC level. I said I would take my chances and low and behold I now have 2 tickets in N25 near the top. I post this here because it appears to me that the demand for tickets is not as high as it might have been for a couple of years and that the renewal rate might have gone down a bit. As a result, although I have always been on the cautious side of things when it comes to expansion, this makes me even more so.

gugstanley
06-07-2013, 09:52 AM
I think the renewal rate for season tickets was around 98% again this year. Doesn't sound like demand has dropped off even with the tough season. Luckily I was able to move a couple of rows closer this year.

Damage U
06-07-2013, 10:23 AM
I know there are many reasons for a drop off in renewals such as economy, winning/losing and so on, but because of the high demand and rareness of season tickets I wonder how many people have given up or don't even try. I think expansion needs to happen but in small steps. Start by filling in the south end then give it a few years to see if more expansion needs to happen or raise ticket prices.

LA Ute
06-07-2013, 02:31 PM
I tried to move to the West side of the stadium and could have done so, but only for much worse seats. I tried to get two more seats (we have 2) but no dice there either. FWIW.

FountainOfUte
06-07-2013, 04:43 PM
I wonder how many people have given up or don't even try.

This would be me. I've just kind of written off season tickets until they expand. The CC level or other fees that get you in a spot to get them aren't nearly worth it for me. My only shot at getting them is for expansion or for our football program to tank for a while. I'm really hoping it ends up being the former.

roseparkutes
06-25-2013, 07:06 PM
fully enclosing the NEZ would make it even louder and at least add a few thousand seats.

Crimsonute
07-22-2013, 12:28 PM
Showed the still shot of the South stands to my friend who sits next me at the games. His question, "Where's my Jumbotron?" Hopefully it would be a big screen that would go above the roof. Right? Move the south screen above the NEZ. Hopefully.
220So Chris Hill says we could see this in the next 2-5 years. I'd love to see the south end done by the 2015 season. That would be awesome hosting Michigan on their first Thursday night game, with a newly remodeled RES.
http://kutv.com/sports/features/talkin-sports/stories/vid_762.shtml

Jarid in Cedar
07-23-2013, 01:34 PM
Season ticket renewal is at 98% for the third straight season. Time to build it Dr. Hill

UteBeliever aka Port
07-24-2013, 09:39 PM
Season ticket renewal is at 98% for the third straight season. Time to build it Dr. Hill

Don't hold your breath.

DrumNFeather
07-26-2013, 09:05 AM
Can we at least shoot some fireworks from the Cauldron? That thing is severely under utilized.

roseparkutes
07-27-2013, 11:00 AM
Can we at least shoot some fireworks from the Cauldron? That thing is severely under utilized.
that's an awesome idea!

LA Ute
07-27-2013, 11:35 AM
"But the reality is, on our non-conference schedule BYU will be the highlight team." I'm surprised that statement hasn't gotten more attention.

LA Ute
05-26-2015, 08:56 AM
This will drive some of the folks at UteZone nuts:

Kragthorpe: Utes should enhance, not expand, Rice-Eccles Stadium
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2550109-155/kragthorpe-utes-should-enhance-not-expand

UtahsMrSports
05-26-2015, 09:27 AM
This will drive some of the folks at UteZone nuts:

Kragthorpe: Utes should enhance, not expand, Rice-Eccles Stadium

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2550109-155/kragthorpe-utes-should-enhance-not-expand

I agree with Kurt. I think we would be wise to improve the stadium; rather than expand it.

wally
05-26-2015, 11:14 AM
I agree with Kurt. I think we would be wise to improve the stadium; rather than expand it.

Totally agree. Don't get the obsession with stadium expansion.

utefan
05-26-2015, 11:36 AM
The obsession is it would be easier and cheaper to get tickets. That and we'd have an easier time scheduling big teams for home and homes. It could also help in recruiting.

We should improve it and also expand it. If we're in the major leagues now then we shouldn't be playing in a minor league stadium.

Old Standing ute
05-26-2015, 11:54 AM
It can't/won't be cheaper--or it makes no sense to spend the money.
They will want to add high end type seats, but hard to do without allowing booze in those new south end zone boxes.

Adding low end seats just for volume & ease of getting tickets will not pencil out.

NorthwestUteFan
05-26-2015, 12:21 PM
RES is officially on campus, isn't it? If so, the NCAA wouldn't allow alcohol during the games anyhow. Never mind the unlikelihood of getting a liquor license in the first place...

Mandatory(!!!) improvements include a better locker room, and more restroom facilities. Perhaps something to minimize the crowding around the food court areas.

Closing in the SEZ might accomplish all of these, but it will still require complete demolition of the stands and would be difficult to accomplish without impacting football. That is a lot of work to squeeze into the tine frame between late-November and mid-August, particularly over a cold winter and with school in session (although a few strategic road games would help buy a few weeks on either end).

NorthwestUteFan
05-26-2015, 12:41 PM
For reference, Martin Stadium's (WSU) 2011-2014 facelifts cost $141M and basically got them new locker rooms and an updated press box, club/loge seating, and their Football Operations Center (weight rooms, offices, locker rooms, training rooms, etc). The renovations only added a total of 1900 new seats.

The upgrades to RES cost ~$75M in current dollars. And that required a lot of money from donors AND money (guaranteed loans?) From the Fed Gubmint to fund the Winter Games.

Do we have the massively impressive genitals required to make the required private donations necessary to truly expand the stadium? It would seem that we would get into the $100M+ range pretty quickly.

That said, our 33 year old SEZ and locker rooms are dank and embarrassing, and will need to be replaced soon.

Diehard Ute
05-26-2015, 10:47 PM
1) The estimates just for the South end zone are more than $50 Million

2) Athletics does not own the stadium. It leases it. The U owns it and would have to be involved.

3) as many people try and point out the idea of expansion isn't a money maker no matter what price the seats are. Ticket sales are not a large revenue source, especially when most will be mid to lower revenue.

4) A larger stadium would not attract different or better opponents

Concourse renovations and expansions are on the table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UtahsMrSports
05-27-2015, 07:08 AM

2) Athletics does not own the stadium. It leases it. The U owns it and would have to be involved.

3) as many people try and point out the idea of expansion isn't a money maker no matter what price the seats are. Ticket sales are not a large revenue source, especially when most will be mid to lower revenue.

100% this.

NorthwestUteFan
05-27-2015, 09:34 AM
100% this.

Agreed.

wally
05-27-2015, 10:47 AM

U-Ute
05-27-2015, 04:11 PM

People who feel we need to keep up with the Jonses, or more likely in this case, the Youngs. Those who hold this belief haven't fully considered the situation that the Youngs bought their house 40 years ago and it is kind of drafty on thursday nights when the kids don't come round for Wagner night anymore.

mpfunk
05-27-2015, 05:02 PM
I agree with the sentiment that expansion is not necessary. Upgrades are certainly necessary.

LA Ute
05-27-2015, 05:33 PM
People who feel we need to keep up with the Jonses, or more likely in this case, the Youngs. Those who hold this belief haven't fully considered the situation that the Youngs bought their house 40 years ago and it is kind of drafty on thursday nights when the kids don't come round for Wagner night anymore.

Besides, that place looks like an aging aircraft carrier built with an Erector Set.

FountainOfUte
05-27-2015, 05:51 PM
People who feel we need to keep up with the Jonses, or more likely in this case, the Youngs.

This is basically how I interpret it, too. Sure, I'd love to see the SEZ closed off, if for no other reason than that I'd like to get some season tickets. I hear it's possible now, but it involves selling souls of myself and my children and a second mortgage on my house and car. That's too steep for me.

But I'm tired of the people who loudly deride Chris Hill on Twitter and other forums making him out to be some sort of idiot while they - the Internet savants - have all of the answers. I don't pretend to think Hill is above reproach, but on something like this I'm pretty sure he'll get it right.

In the meantime, these are VERY good days to be a Ute. There's too much good going on to worry about stuff that's not happening.

utefan
05-28-2015, 06:46 AM

You could say these same things about almost any improvements.

The new video board? All of that applies there too.

The new football facility? All of it applies.

Concourse renovations? Applies there too.

Kyle Whittingham's new contract? Yep, it applies there too.

At least stadium expansion will bring in some additional revenue, even if it's not enough to cover the entire cost of the project. Most of the other projects the U has been so proud of haven't brought in any extra revenue at all.

It's only going to get more expensive with time. I've seen a few posts mention how much cheaper it was back when BYU did it. Well interest rates are near all time lows right now. Expanding at some point is inevitable, so we should do it before it gets even more expensive.

We can't really expect to be taken seriously as a P5 when we have no intentions of ever expanding our 46,000 seat stadium.

The fact that a lot of people are forced to get tickets from scalpers may sound good to some people, and apparently Kragthorpe is one who likes that, but it also turns a lot of people off. A lot of would be fans tune out when they feel like they're excluded or not wanted.

Sure, the U students and grads will probably remain fans. But what about the 7th grader wearing a U sweatshirt? When he grows up and doesn't attend the U, do you want to keep him as a fan? If so, then you better make sure the games are accessible to him.

Directv doesn't think there are enough Pac 12 fans to warrant them paying to carry the network. When they see teams with a capacity of 46,000 in their stadium talking about how they won't be expanding, that certainly doesn't help things.

It's also detrimental to recruiting.

There are lots of good reasons to expand the stadium. The fact that it will also bring in some extra revenue to help pay for itself is just a bonus.

UtahsMrSports
05-28-2015, 08:51 AM
you could say these same things about almost any improvements.

Kyle whittingham's new contract? Yep, it applies there too.

At least stadium expansion will bring in some additional revenue, even if it's not enough to cover the entire cost of the project. Most of the other projects the u has been so proud of haven't brought in any extra revenue at all.

It's only going to get more expensive with time. I've seen a few posts mention how much cheaper it was back when byu did it. Well interest rates are near all time lows right now. Expanding at some point is inevitable, so we should do it before it gets even more expensive.

We can't really expect to be taken seriously as a p5 when we have no intentions of ever expanding our 46,000 seat stadium.

The fact that a lot of people are forced to get tickets from scalpers may sound good to some people, and apparently kragthorpe is one who likes that, but it also turns a lot of people off. A lot of would be fans tune out when they feel like they're excluded or not wanted.

Sure, the u students and grads will probably remain fans. But what about the 7th grader wearing a u sweatshirt? When he grows up and doesn't attend the u, do you want to keep him as a fan? If so, then you better make sure the games are accessible to him.

Directv doesn't think there are enough pac 12 fans to warrant them paying to carry the network. When they see teams with a capacity of 46,000 in their stadium talking about how they won't be expanding, that certainly doesn't help things.

There are lots of good reasons to expand the stadium. The fact that it will also bring in some extra revenue to help pay for itself is just a bonus.

lol!

SoCalPat
05-28-2015, 09:05 AM
I've gone back and forth on RES expansion, but I've largely remained in the middle from an emotion standpoint. If we can expand it, great. If there are reasons not to, that's OK too. (I think everyone is on board with doing something about the SEZ.)

I am vaguely familiar with our efforts in luxury seating and group sales, and to me, that's where the real money is at. It's not in adding 20,000 more mediocre seats.

I would also ask myself how the U. stacks up with the Jazz in this matter. We're going to have to see real growth here from local companies -- if we had the alumni base for such growth, we would have seen it already. I'm afraid we're not getting close to maxing out our potential in this regard.

I will say this -- the pro-expansion people have consistently been on the wrong side in their attempts at justifying their argument. They're not asking the right questions, they defend their positions with generalities while appealing to emotion, rather than common sense, and they refuse to look at both sides of the coin. With the anti-expansion group, at least their arguments are more thought out.

wally
05-28-2015, 09:53 AM
lol!

Diehard Ute
05-28-2015, 11:05 AM
You could say these same things about almost any improvements.

Kyle Whittingham's new contract? Yep, it applies there too.

At least stadium expansion will bring in some additional revenue, even if it's not enough to cover the entire cost of the project. Most of the other projects the U has been so proud of haven't brought in any extra revenue at all.

It's only going to get more expensive with time. I've seen a few posts mention how much cheaper it was back when BYU did it. Well interest rates are near all time lows right now. Expanding at some point is inevitable, so we should do it before it gets even more expensive.

We can't really expect to be taken seriously as a P5 when we have no intentions of ever expanding our 46,000 seat stadium.

The fact that a lot of people are forced to get tickets from scalpers may sound good to some people, and apparently Kragthorpe is one who likes that, but it also turns a lot of people off. A lot of would be fans tune out when they feel like they're excluded or not wanted.

Sure, the U students and grads will probably remain fans. But what about the 7th grader wearing a U sweatshirt? When he grows up and doesn't attend the U, do you want to keep him as a fan? If so, then you better make sure the games are accessible to him.

Directv doesn't think there are enough Pac 12 fans to warrant them paying to carry the network. When they see teams with a capacity of 46,000 in their stadium talking about how they won't be expanding, that certainly doesn't help things.

It won't bring in any real extra revenue. Go look at the books. Ticket sales do nothing for the U's bottom line as more seats = more expenses.

To try and say we're not taken seriously in the conference due to stadium size is funny. Not a single AD would say to expand. Most wish they could drop back down. That's not just lip service from them. Large stadiums are a problem these days.

You haven't a clue if you think DirectTV doesn't think we have enough fans. That's never been their stance. They want to put the channel in a la carte instead of a package, or pay far less. That's not about fans, it's about the network being owned by the conference and not tied to ESPN or another network who forces them to package it.

Provide some proof of your recruiting statement. I'll be waiting.

Oh your interest rate comment got me chuckling. This is a large public institution. There's not going to be a home equity loan to do some work.

(PS, comparing stadium expansion to things like a coaches contract is good comedy, but has no basis in fact)

concerned
05-28-2015, 11:22 AM
Question: if a larger stadium does not attract better opponents, what does? Michigan agreed to come when they thought their was going to be a Pac12/Big 10 scheduling agreement.

Are we ever going to get opponents like Michigan again? Can we not afford to pay them? Is it a matter of being good enough to get a good ESPN or Fox time slot?

Or are we destined for the Northern Illinois's of the world. (I realize Baylor is coming in the far distant future.)

SoCalPat
05-28-2015, 01:22 PM
Question: if a larger stadium does not attract better opponents, what does? Michigan agreed to come when they thought their was going to be a Pac12/Big 10 scheduling agreement.

Are we ever going to get opponents like Michigan again? Can we not afford to pay them? Is it a matter of being good enough to get a good ESPN or Fox time slot?

Or are we destined for the Northern Illinois's of the world. (I realize Baylor is coming in the far distant future.)

Baylor is one of seven P5 schools with a stadium smaller than RES.

We got our share of H-H with schools with massive stadiums when we were in the MWC. Texas A&M and UCLA come to mind.

We're getting Michigan because it's a Thursday night and it's a near-exclusive TV audience. It's also been since 2003 since Michigan made a regular season visit to the Mountain or Pacific time zones (From 2001-03, Michigan played a road game vs. a Pac-12 school every year). In fact, I thought I read somewhere that this is Michigan's first non-Saturday regular season game ever.

UtahsMrSports
05-28-2015, 02:47 PM

Is attracting big name opponents even a priority anymore? Seems like we have enough coming in already during conference play. Sure, having a big name come in would likely get us a good tv spot and dollars that way, but I just don't know if we are going to focus on that. Seems like we will be content with bringing in a decent p5 team or byu each year.

SoCalPat
05-28-2015, 06:49 PM
Is attracting big name opponents even a priority anymore? Seems like we have enough coming in already during conference play. Sure, having a big name come in would likely get us a good tv spot and dollars that way, but I just don't know if we are going to focus on that. Seems like we will be content with bringing in any p5 team or byu each year.

Slight correction. And I'm happy with that. I've always thought of luring Ohio State or Florida here as pie-in-the-sky fanboy talk. It will probably be another 10-15 years before we get a traditional power to RES in the non-con.

utefan
05-28-2015, 07:45 PM
It won't bring in any real extra revenue. Go look at the books. Ticket sales do nothing for the U's bottom line as more seats = more expenses.

To try and say we're not taken seriously in the conference due to stadium size is funny. Not a single AD would say to expand. Most wish they could drop back down. That's not just lip service from them. Large stadiums are a problem these days.

You haven't a clue if you think DirectTV doesn't think we have enough fans. That's never been their stance. They want to put the channel in a la carte instead of a package, or pay far less. That's not about fans, it's about the network being owned by the conference and not tied to ESPN or another network who forces them to package it.

Provide some proof of your recruiting statement. I'll be waiting.

Oh your interest rate comment got me chuckling. This is a large public institution. There's not going to be a home equity loan to do some work.

(PS, comparing stadium expansion to things like a coaches contract is good comedy, but has no basis in fact)

So we can't do any improvements unless they immediately pay for themselves?

I keep reading how ADs want to decrease stadium size, and I think it's being taken way out of context. Sure, an AD might want to go down from an 80,000 seat stadium to a 60,000 seat stadium if they can increase luxury boxes in the process. I don't think anyone wants to go down to 46,000.

If Directv thought it was worth it, they'd carry the Pac 12 Network. Meaning, if Ditectv thought enough people wanted to watch it, they'd carry it.

Stadium expansion seems to be pretty important in the SEC.
http://www.foxsports.com/south/story/stadium-expansion-could-leave-some-sec-schools-behind-050713

Someone else mentioned Baylor as having a smaller stadium than us. Keep in mind, Baylor has a brand new 45,000 seat stadium that just opened last season, and they already have plans to expand it to 55,000.

Diehard Ute
05-29-2015, 12:11 AM
So we can't do any improvements unless they immediately pay for themselves?

I keep reading how ADs want to decrease stadium size, and I think it's being taken way out of context. Sure, an AD might want to go down from an 80,000 seat stadium to a 60,000 seat stadium if they can increase luxury boxes in the process. I don't think anyone wants to go down to 46,000.

If Directv thought it was worth it, they'd carry the Pac 12 Network. Meaning, if Ditectv thought enough people wanted to watch it, they'd carry it.

Stadium expansion seems to be pretty important in the SEC.
http://www.foxsports.com/south/story/stadium-expansion-could-leave-some-sec-schools-behind-050713

Someone else mentioned Baylor as having a smaller stadium than us. Keep in mind, Baylor has a brand new 45,000 seat stadium that just opened last season, and they already have plans to expand it to 55,000.

You still don't get it.

The stadium expansion will NEVER pay for itself.

Athletics would have to come up with the money, yet they'd never see ticket sales to pay for it. It's just not going to happen. It would require a very large donation campaign (the basketball center is being built because Jon Huntsman is willing to do whatever it takes to get that done)

Some improvements are worth the investment. Such as the restroom expansions, concourse remodel and new video board. Eventually the south end zone will be rebuilt. But that may not include a large size increase, instead it will likely include more luxury seating.

Stanford dropped from 85,000 seats to 50,000.

Cal incurred well over $300,000,000 in debt to rebuild their stadium. Something that's now consuming 20% of their athletic budget.

And if you truly believe the drivel you're spouting about DirecTV you cannot be convinced otherwise so there's really no point to a discussion.

utefan
05-29-2015, 06:51 AM
You still don't get it.

The stadium expansion will NEVER pay for itself.

Athletics would have to come up with the money, yet they'd never see ticket sales to pay for it. It's just not going to happen. It would require a very large donation campaign (the basketball center is being built because Jon Huntsman is willing to do whatever it takes to get that done)

Some improvements are worth the investment. Such as the restroom expansions, concourse remodel and new video board. Eventually the south end zone will be rebuilt. But that may not include a large size increase, instead it will likely include more luxury seating.

Stanford dropped from 85,000 seats to 50,000.

Cal incurred well over $300,000,000 in debt to rebuild their stadium. Something that's now consuming 20% of their athletic budget.

And if you truly believe the drivel you're spouting about DirecTV you cannot be convinced otherwise so there's really no point to a discussion.

My point that no improvements pay for themselves still stands. So why are you singling out stadium expansion for not paying for itself? It will certainly generate more revenue than the new football center.

Stanford dropped to 50,000 which is still more than we can fit into our stadium. And you have to remember, Stanford was not known as a football school. Harbaugh took them to new places, but that was short lived.

Stanford's new 50,000 seat stadium opened in 2006. The first time they sold it out was in 2008. That is definitely not the school to hold up as an example for how we should run our football program.

Here's an article from 2012 about Stanford's pathetic attendance. They finished 11-2 that year, won the Pac 12 Championship and a Rose Bowl berth, but their average attendance was only 43,343. That was good for 11th in the Pac 12, with Washington State behind them. They hosted the Pac 12 championship game that season and only had an announced attendance of 31,622 for it.

http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-football/2012/12/11/stanford-cardinal-attendance-woes-an-embarrassment-for-the-program/

We don't want to be like Stanford. We want to be like all those SEC teams that are expanding their stadiums.

I can't figure out what your issue is with what I said about DirecTV. It's a fact that if DirecTV thought enough people wanted to watch a network to make it worth their while to pay for it, then they'd carry that network. If they don't want to carry the Pac 12 network it's because they don't think it's worth it. How is this a controversial statement?

DrumNFeather
05-29-2015, 07:29 AM
I just hope that the restroom expansion is part of the recruiting pitch. "Imagine son, your family or friends not missing a minute of the action because of these new bathrooms!"

Scratch
05-29-2015, 09:51 AM
One small thing in the back of my mind is that we need to really establish ourselves as one of the more valuable western assets. The P12 (and our place therein) seems pretty stable right now, but who knows what will happen in the next 10, 20, or 30 years (especially with the rapidly changing media landscape). We'll never be as valuable as the California properties, Washington, or (probably) Oregon, but we need to establish that, in the college sports landscape, we're more important and valuable than Wazzu, OSU, and Arizona, and on par or close to on par with Colorado and ASU. It would also be nice to definitively establish ourselves as the premiere program in the state. We're certainly well on our way there, but we need to really bury BYU so that if the college athletics landscape gets turned on its head there's no way anyone could possibly BYU as an equal option to the U.

Does stadium expansion have anything to do with this? Maybe a little bit.

LA Ute
05-29-2015, 10:12 AM
One small thing in the back of my mind is that we need to really establish ourselves as one of the more valuable western assets. The P12 (and our place therein) seems pretty stable right now, but who knows what will happen in the next 10, 20, or 30 years (especially with the rapidly changing media landscape). We'll never be as valuable as the California properties, Washington, or (probably) Oregon, but we need to establish that, in the college sports landscape, we're more important and valuable than Wazzu, OSU, and Arizona, and on par or close to on par with Colorado and ASU. It would also be nice to definitively establish ourselves as the premiere program in the state. We're certainly well on our way there, but we need to really bury BYU so that if the college athletics landscape gets turned on its head there's no way anyone could possibly BYU as an equal option to the U.

I agree, and I think we will end up at over 50,000 seats, which ought to be enough to be at the level you describe.

NorthwestUteFan
05-29-2015, 10:56 AM
The SEZ must get rebuilt. That is mandatory and has to be in the near term.

The question is how much more would it cost to close in the corners as part of that renovation. They could even extend out into the South Plaza somewhat to give a nice open space for restrooms, food, shops, etc.

The Walk of Fame (whatever it was called) at Michigan Stadium was very nice, and honestly it was little more than a covered, open-ended, steel lean-to buttressed into the stadium that housed food, restrooms, trophies, etc . The U could open things up a bit like that.

Diehard Ute
05-29-2015, 11:59 AM

The question is how much more would it cost to close in the corners as part of that renovation. They could even extend out into the South Plaza somewhat to give a nice open space for restrooms, food, shops, etc.

The Walk of Fame (whatever it was called) at Michigan Stadium was very nice, and honestly it was little more than a covered, open-ended, steel lean-to buttressed into the stadium that housed food, restrooms, trophies, etc . The U could open things up a bit like that.

That's the reason the new scoreboard was delayed a year. They needed to ensure it was placed right so it would not have to be moved when the south end zone project is started.

DrumNFeather
05-29-2015, 12:08 PM

Do we have a hall of fame? Or is that stuff just all basically in the football facility?

NorthwestUteFan
05-29-2015, 03:33 PM
The thing at Michigan just had pictures of Tom Brady, Charles Woodson, Bo Schembechler, and other players and coaches, with blurbs about special seasons. It was very nice, especially in the downpour as 4 inches of rain fell on us.

U-Ute
05-29-2015, 03:34 PM
Do we have a hall of fame? Or is that stuff just all basically in the football facility?

I have yet to check out the football facility, but the pictures and videos I've seen have shown a historical part to it with names, faces, and helmets of players that have gone onto the NFL as well as the bowl trophy case.

Scorcho
05-29-2015, 08:58 PM

no, instead we have the Deseret Duel :Ashamed:

Diehard Ute
05-30-2015, 07:54 AM
no, instead we have the Deseret Duel :Ashamed:

The hall of fame is at the football center. Just as basketballs will be at the new basketball facility.

Part of the reason for that is the lack of control athletics has at the competition sites. People are always in and out of RES, it would be a bad place to keep anything of value.

NorthwestUteFan
05-30-2015, 08:03 AM
To be clear, Michigan Stadium didn't have any trophies or helmets or valuable memorabilia on display. They just had printed metal posters on the wall. I will try to find some pics. I only saw it during the downpour, so I probably didn't pull out the camera.

mUUser
06-15-2015, 09:30 AM
Can anybody tell me which rows are under the overhang in Rice-Eccles?

From my eye reading the .pdf chart it appears rows 58-63 but kinda hard to tell.

LA Ute
06-15-2015, 12:19 PM
Can anybody tell me which rows are under the overhang in Rice-Eccles?

From my eye reading the .pdf chart it appears rows 58-63 but kinda hard to tell.

Those are the most sought-after seats on the West Side. Not easy to get unless you have the right parents or grandparents!

DrumNFeather
06-24-2015, 01:05 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2656654-155/utah-football-2015-concept-may-provide?fullpage=1

jrj84105
06-24-2015, 08:11 PM

Spot on. I think complete BYU irrelevance pays a lot of dividends for us. In the off chance a future round of realignment results in big shifts like a B1G-PAC merger, I hope our athletics and more important, our academics make our inclusion a no brainer.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-15-2015, 02:24 PM
It was either here or the new uniforms thread. Football office releases the design for the new turf. Now with the field house, it will say Utah Utes in the north.

PS. My original reaction is that I don't love it, but will withhold final judgement until I see the real thing.

DrumNFeather
09-15-2015, 02:25 PM
I dig it.

LA Ute
09-27-2015, 05:34 PM
C. Hill acknowledging the South End Zone problem.

http://fox13now.com/2015/09/27/u-of-u-athletic-director-talks-about-pac-12-impact-on-universitys-sports/

I doubt we'll ever see more than 50,000 seat + change in RES.

utefan
09-28-2015, 10:11 PM
C. Hill acknowledging the South End Zone problem.

http://fox13now.com/2015/09/27/u-of-u-athletic-director-talks-about-pac-12-impact-on-universitys-sports/

I doubt we'll ever see more than 50,000 seat + change in RES.
We should have a stadium at least as big as Autzen. If a small town like Eugene can draw 57,000 to 59,000 every week, we shouldn't settle for anything less.

65,000 sounds about right. Seal off the south end zone and make the top level with the east and west sides. Then raise the top of the north end zone so it's also level with the east and west sides.

The result would be a nice looking bowl. It'd be super loud because it's sealed with the seats pretty close to the field. And it'd be super awesome looking as a perfectly symmetrical bowl.

I don't know what the capacity would be if they did this, but I would guess it'd be between 60,000 and 65,000.

It wouldn't be free, but nothing else is free either. Even that new turf going in right now costs money. And that new turf doesn't add extra seats to sell or bring in extra fans to buy more over priced stadium food.

That's my pipe dream.

Scratch
09-28-2015, 10:26 PM
We should have a stadium at least as big as Autzen. If a small town like Eugene can draw 57,000 to 59,000 every week, we shouldn't settle for anything less.

65,000 sounds about right. Seal off the south end zone and make the top level with the east and west sides. Then raise the top of the north end zone so it's also level with the east and west sides.

The result would be a nice looking bowl. It'd be super loud because it's sealed with the seats pretty close to the field. And it'd be super awesome looking as a perfectly symmetrical bowl.

I don't know what the capacity would be if they did this, but I would guess it'd be between 60,000 and 65,000.

It wouldn't be free, but nothing else is free either. Even that new turf going in right now costs money. And that new turf doesn't add extra seats to sell or bring in extra fans to buy more over priced stadium food.

That's my pipe dream.

I think the best way to get to 65,000 would be to add enormous end zones.

concerned
09-29-2015, 05:43 AM

The worst thing about byu's stadium is that so many seats are in the end zones.

Rocker Ute
09-29-2015, 08:14 AM
Keep RES weird. I personally think they should reduce the size and eliminate some bathrooms and add luxury suites above the NEZ that are just high enough above the existing that people sitting there have to bow their heads just a bit.

U-Ute
09-29-2015, 10:38 AM

Keep your hands off of the NEZ. We need to keep that awesome paint job on the Field House visible.

Keep RES weird. I personally think they should reduce the size and eliminate some bathrooms and add luxury suites above the NEZ that are just high enough above the existing that people sitting there have to bow their heads just a bit.

Make the SEZ enormous. Put 20,000 fans in there. Then put a giant scoreboard up above the SEZ so the 3,000 fans in the NEZ can see it.

Scratch
09-29-2015, 10:50 AM
The worst thing about byu's stadium is that so many seats are in the end zones.

That was the joke. Apparently my humor is too subtle. Or possibly just not funny.

Rocker Ute
09-29-2015, 11:52 AM
That was the joke. Apparently my humor is too subtle. Or possibly just not funny.

Luckily both! On a side note, good recommendation on Chronic Tacos.

Rocker Ute
09-29-2015, 02:09 PM
That's on the list, but the worst thing about byu's stadium is that it's full of byu fans.

This reminds me of a favorite story of mine. It has the added benefit of being true:

When my oldest son was just getting potty-trained we'd wave goodbye to his poop as he flushed and say, "See you in Provo!"

One day we were coming back from a trip in Moab and had just entered into the Provo area on the freeway. My sleeping son awoke and asked, "Where are we?" I said, "Provo." This was received with apparent stunned silence. After a minute he said, "This is where my poops go?!"
"Yup."
More silence.
"Where are they?"
"You see that big Y on the hill? They are in a giant bowl underneath it called Lavell Edwards Stadium." Satisfied with my answer he sat quietly looking at the mountains.
I look over to see my wife (who grew up watching BYU football) rolling her eyes.
"What?!! You've been there. Have you ever seen a larger collection of turds in your life?"
"How long have you been waiting to say that?"
"My whole life..."

wally
09-29-2015, 02:58 PM
Don't expand the stadium until we've had at least a couple of down years and still filled it. recent 4-8 years don't count, as the P12 inclusion afterglow was still in effect.

Damage U
09-29-2015, 03:50 PM
Then we'll be waiting a long, long time.��

Applejack
09-29-2015, 03:57 PM
Don't expand the stadium until we've had at least a couple of down years and still filled it. recent 4-8 years don't count, as the P12 inclusion afterglow was still in effect.

Agreed. Nothing worse than an empty stadium.

chrisrenrut
09-29-2015, 05:06 PM
Then we'll be waiting a long, long time.��

:highfive:

utefan
09-30-2015, 04:09 AM
Or we could expand it and just keep winning.

Devildog
09-30-2015, 10:21 AM
We should expand this stadium. The South end zone needs rebuilt anyway. The building should have the stadium locker-rooms expanded and brought up to a better standard. Completing the bowl makes sense. Our stadium doesn't really need to be bigger than around 55 thousand, which would be average for a decent P5 school. The added fans next to the MUSS would make the South end zone crazy... maybe even louder than the North.

DO this Chris Hill!

Devildog
09-30-2015, 10:33 AM

Yep... This right here with the Jumbotron on top of the box seating... Brilliant plan. Do this Chris Hill!

Rocker Ute
10-30-2015, 07:38 AM
So I'm not a proponent of stadium expansion, particularly because I believe completing the end zone doesn't bring in high enough dollar return or donations from who would be buying those seats, but a thought:

Watching the Oregon v ASU game last night, their student section was behind the endzone. We know that whether the muss shows up or not the ASUU buys all the tickets, so that is a guaranteed sale. If they do complete the stadium why not move the Muss and visiting fans into the endzone and fetch higher dollar for those seats on the side?

Of course moving students next to visitors may not be the wisest thing... But the point is if they're gonna do it move the guaranteed sold and non season tickets into the endzone and sell the sidelines to season ticket holders who might be higher dollar and higher donor?

Diehard Ute
10-30-2015, 09:36 AM
So I'm not a proponent of stadium expansion, particularly because I believe completing the end zone doesn't bring in high enough dollar return or donations from who would be buying those seats, but a thought:

Watching the Oregon v ASU game last night, their student section was behind the endzone. We know that whether the muss shows up or not the ASUU buys all the tickets, so that is a guaranteed sale. If they do complete the stadium why not move the Muss and visiting fans into the endzone and fetch higher dollar for those seats on the side?

Of course moving students next to visitors may not be the wisest thing... But the point is if they're gonna do it move the guaranteed sold and non season tickets into the endzone and sell the sidelines to season ticket holders who might be higher dollar and higher donor?

Cause a lot of us like the end zone seats

I would be very pissed off to lose my end zone seats I've held for 33 years and get stuck on the side where I don't enjoy the view.

I think a lot of other people who sit in the south end zone would feel the same way. We sit there because we like it.

mUUser
10-30-2015, 09:56 AM
Cause a lot of us like the end zone seats

I would be very pissed off to lose my end zone seats I've held for 33 years and get stuck on the side where I don't enjoy the view.

I think a lot of other people who sit in the south end zone would feel the same way. We sit there because we like it.

You know I've tried the south end zone on a number of occasions and just can't acclimate to the depth beyond midfield. Was that a 2 yard gain or a 4 yard loss? I feel like maybe I'm missing something. What about the SEZ do you like so much?

Diehard Ute
10-30-2015, 10:00 AM
You know I've tried the south end zone on a number of occasions and just can't acclimate to the depth beyond midfield. Was that a 2 yard gain or a 4 yard loss? I feel like maybe I'm missing something. What about the SEZ do you like so much?

I love watching the play unfold. I can see the entire play and watch how it develops.

I've sat there for so long I have no issues seeing where the ball is etc.

The only thing that would be nice is a screen in the North Endzone so we could see replays etc.

(And the new sound system design would be nice. The current sound system is annoyingly loud)

Diehard Ute
11-09-2015, 10:56 AM
Board of Regents votes on new 118 x 66 video board and distributed sound system tomorrow. Expected to be approved. ($13.8 million total)

Scratch
11-09-2015, 11:26 AM
Board of Regents votes on new 118 x 66 video board and distributed sound system tomorrow. Expected to be approved. ($13.8 million total)

Interesting dimensions. Lots of video boards are wider than 118', but I don't think anyone in CFB has a 66-foot tall board.

concerned
11-09-2015, 11:59 AM
Interesting dimensions. Lots of video boards are wider than 118', but I don't think anyone in CFB has a 66-foot tall board.

Maybe we are on an old tv format, like your Sony Trinitron.

U-Ute
11-09-2015, 01:13 PM

They were toying with the idea of having a double sided one that faced 500 south. Is that still on the table?

Diehard Ute
11-09-2015, 02:37 PM

They went for the true 16 x 9 aspect ratio from what has been said. And per Wikipedia there are only about 5 college stadiums with wider screens.

Diehard Ute
11-09-2015, 02:38 PM
They were toying with the idea of having a double sided one that faced 500 south. Is that still on the table?

Nope. 500 South side will be a static U.

I think they are spending that money to get the upgraded sound system. There will be speakers around the entire stadium rather than in the scoreboard.

Diehard Ute
11-09-2015, 02:40 PM
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_college_football_stadium_video_boards

8 longer. Ours would appear to be the tallest.

U-Ute
11-29-2015, 09:13 AM
During the UCLA game, they showed a visualization of what the new board will look like. Is that available online?

U-Ute
05-29-2016, 11:22 AM
Drove past the stadium today. The scoreboard is huge.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160529/edb5f72fcf3f2f17ff65469cf560ac5f.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160529/5f0577d274ac10e2dbeb4ce4398bc072.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160529/252c410eb840c67162280554e34945c0.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160529/31bef8a4c1302b150c3bbf104fb91faf.jpg

U-Ute
06-03-2016, 05:32 PM
Perhaps Hill is getting advice from the UW AD?

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-huskies/uw-athletic-department-projects-budget-deficit-of-14-million-for-2016-fiscal-year/

U-Ute
06-13-2016, 11:31 AM
New stadium lighting! I didn't know they were doing this.

https://twitter.com/bjammin9/status/742095020820287490

Dwight Schr-Ute
06-13-2016, 11:37 AM
New stadium lighting! I didn't know they were doing this.

https://twitter.com/bjammin9/status/742095020820287490

That's just illumination from the score board. Am I missing something?

LA Ute
06-13-2016, 12:48 PM
I was up at 11th Avenue Park on the north side of SLC last night and the scoreboard looked huge even from that far away. There seemed to be a lot of testing going on, with color changes and so forth.

Scorcho
06-13-2016, 01:09 PM
from what I understand, Utah's RES locker rooms are by far the worst in the PAC-12 and among the worst in the West. I believe Hill has mentioned the locker rooms are a priority, so I think the South End Zone will be the next major athletic dept. project. I think the projections for that are North of $40 million for that section. which is nearly what it cost for the total renovation back in 1999.

Diehard Ute
06-13-2016, 01:11 PM
from what I understand, Utah's RES locker rooms are by far the worst in the PAC-12 and among the worst in the West. I believe Hill has mentioned the locker rooms are a priority, so I think the South End Zone will be the next major athletic dept. project. I think the projections for that are North of $40 million for that section. which is nearly what it cost for the total renovation back in 1999.

Last I saw it was well over $50 Million. That's one of the reasons Chris Hill hasn't rushed into it. We have had a lot of infrastructure upgrades, he's been reluctant to ask the same donors for a huge sum for the stadium when the other projects were more necessary for program health

DrumNFeather
06-13-2016, 01:25 PM
Last I saw it was well over $50 Million. That's one of the reasons Chris Hill hasn't rushed into it. We have had a lot of infrastructure upgrades, he's been reluctant to ask the same donors for a huge sum for the stadium when the other projects were more necessary for program health

Star is a free agent next year and should get paid...so let's get that donation in!

Scorcho
06-13-2016, 01:29 PM

I thought part of that was the scoreboard price too, but I could be mistaken

Diehard Ute
06-13-2016, 01:39 PM
I thought part of that was the scoreboard price too, but I could be mistaken

It may have been, but given the prices paid for other construction projects locally these days I'd be surprised if they could do it under $50,000,000.

With the locker rooms and the need for field access through that area it's more than just concrete bleachers which will up the cost. Needless to say it's not going to be cheap one way or the other

We're down to smaller projects other than this, with the new baseball field being the largest so that helps. A

Scorcho
06-28-2016, 02:15 PM
Based on the article by Kyle Goon on 6/24 it sounds like the south end zone project is still in the we dont know what we want to do phase? It sounds like building a baseball and golf facility are higher priorities. :(

Diehard Ute
06-28-2016, 02:49 PM
Based on the article by Kyle Goon on 6/24 it sounds like the south end zone project is still in the we dont know what we want to do phase? It sounds like building a baseball and golf facility are higher priorities. :(

Those aren't mutually exclusive projects. The golf facility has been in the talking stage for some time, it's a matter of where it will be built (not on campus). The baseball field will be built. Smith's Ballpark is not a good situation for the team or for the Bees. It needs to change.

The debate regarding the south end zone is what is to be included and then how to fund it.

People need to keep in mind the football and basketball practice facilities were huge projects, and the end zone will cost more. It will happen, but what ultimately is included and when it's done are still up for debate.

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-27-2017, 08:58 AM
Another feasibility study!

http://www.utahutes.com/news/2017/3/21/football-u-to-study-feasibility-of-stadium-expansion.aspx

Scorcho
03-27-2017, 01:03 PM
Another feasibility study!

http://www.utahutes.com/news/2017/3/21/football-u-to-study-feasibility-of-stadium-expansion.aspx

lesson learned - if you wait 5 years after the initial feasibility study, your numbers are stale

UTEopia
10-21-2017, 10:22 AM
Today will be the first non- sellout for several years. Have been trying to sell 2 NEZ tickets for below cost and have had 0 offers. A lot of other tickets on secondary market with no takers. Oh, if you want the tickets, go to flashseats.com and look for N25, R39, 18 and 19 and put in a bid.

Scratch
10-21-2017, 09:46 PM
UEA. Lots of people are out of town, flooded the secondary market.

LuckyUte
10-22-2017, 03:30 PM
UEA. Lots of people are out of town, flooded the secondary market.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JSNr9NxOdA

UTEopia
10-30-2017, 03:11 PM
Utes offering buy one get 1 free for UCLA game.

sancho
10-30-2017, 03:13 PM
Utes offering buy one get 1 free for UCLA game.

Should I buy CU tickets now or wait until the week of? Dilemma.

noneyadb
10-30-2017, 10:34 PM
Where are you seeing this offer?

UTEopia
10-31-2017, 08:20 AM
Where are you seeing this offer?

It was an e-mail to me from the Crimson Club.

UTEopia
11-15-2017, 10:07 AM
I assume most of you received a link asking you to participate on a survey about stadium expansion. In many ways I feel the same about stadium expansion as I do about the growth in my little hamlet of Holladay, which interestingly, also sent a survey about growth and taxes. I don't believe current season ticket holders/tax payers should foot the majority of the bill for future expansion/growth. We have already participated in paying for the current infrastructure. The majority of the costs of expanded infrastructure should be funded by impact fees for building new homes and seat fees for those buying new seats. My residential/game day experience will not improve one bit by additional growth and in fact, may become less enjoyable by having more people around. I know my beliefs are unrealistic since State and local government in Utah is controlled by real estate developers and all ticket purchasers are going to pay the price.

U-Ute
11-15-2017, 10:23 AM
I assume most of you received a link asking you to participate on a survey about stadium expansion. In many ways I feel the same about stadium expansion as I do about the growth in my little hamlet of Holladay, which interestingly, also sent a survey about growth and taxes. I don't believe current season ticket holders/tax payers should foot the majority of the bill for future expansion/growth. We have already participated in paying for the current infrastructure. The majority of the costs of expanded infrastructure should be funded by impact fees for building new homes and seat fees for those buying new seats. My residential/game day experience will not improve one bit by additional growth and in fact, may become less enjoyable by having more people around. I know my beliefs are unrealistic since State and local government in Utah is controlled by real estate developers and all ticket purchasers are going to pay the price.

Anyone who has had to exit through the north concourse after a close game would vehemently agree with you.

Diehard Ute
11-15-2017, 04:40 PM
After taking the survey I’m a bit concerned.

As a south endzone season ticket holder for 30+ years I feel like the U is trying to eliminate the passionate fan and replace them with a rich fan.

The entire survey was geared to people who could afford fancy stuff.

Sadly I’m worried come 2021 my seat will be gone and I’ll be watching on TV, because my seat was taken away for a restaurant

NorthwestUteFan
11-15-2017, 08:24 PM
Unfortunately the passionate fans like Diehard are going to be replaced by more fans who are content to leave in the 3rd quarter when we are down by one TD to a top 20 team.

Goodbye home field advantage, hello overly-expensive tickets.

DrumNFeather
03-26-2018, 11:05 AM
Hill said we need to raise about 25 million for the stadium, and he wants to get about 20 million taken care of in the next two months before he walks away.

U-Ute
03-26-2018, 12:52 PM
Hill said we need to raise about 25 million for the stadium, and he wants to get about 20 million taken care of in the next two months before he walks away.

Someone go shake out the couches at the Eccles and Huntsman households.

Scorcho
04-24-2018, 01:19 PM
surveys have all come in, Hill says we'll know capacity and have artist renderings within the next 6 months

https://espn700sports.com/news/chris-hill-university-of-utah-athletic-director-4-24-18/

Scorcho
05-23-2018, 01:15 PM
I was just it a meeting where they project that the population of Utah will rise from 3 million today to 5 million by 2030

U-Ute
05-23-2018, 01:54 PM
I was just it a meeting where they project that the population of Utah will rise from 3 million today to 5 million by 2030

Primarily St. George or Wasatch Front?

Scorcho
05-23-2018, 02:31 PM

they didn't specify

Diehard Ute
05-23-2018, 03:39 PM

Mostly the wasatch front.

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-09-2018, 09:02 AM

NorthwestUteFan
11-09-2018, 09:32 AM
$80M? Sounds cheap. Maybe just a rebuild of the south end zone? It seems low if the intention is to close in the SE and SW corners. Either way, this is a move in the right direction. The SEZ should have been condemned a decade ago.

Scorcho
11-09-2018, 10:08 AM

Trump tariffs probably made a $65 million dollar project and $80 one

Scratch
11-09-2018, 10:32 AM
$80M? Sounds cheap. Maybe just a rebuild of the south end zone? It seems low if the intention is to close in the SE and SW corners. Either way, this is a move in the right direction. The SEZ should have been condemned a decade ago.

I was thinking the opposite. My memory was that they had been talking about something in the $35-45M range previously, but I could certainly be wrong. I also don't have a great frame of reference for what $80M buys you in the football stadium renovation market.

NorthwestUteFan
11-09-2018, 01:54 PM
At work we just rebuilt a building to upgrade for seismic, and keep the historic brick facade. The total bill is $78M.

I just can't see what $80M gets now. Maybe Utah is cheap for construction costs? I seem to recall the original bid for closing in the SEZ was on the order of $75M, but that was almost 8 years ago now. I would love to have that, and extend to 55k+ seats. But maybe my numbers are way off.

Or maybe I just expect to see huge cost overruns.

Diehard Ute
11-09-2018, 05:46 PM
At work we just rebuilt a building to upgrade for seismic, and keep the historic brick facade. The total bill is $78M.

I just can't see what $80M gets now. Maybe Utah is cheap for construction costs? I seem to recall the original bid for closing in the SEZ was on the order of $75M, but that was almost 8 years ago now. I would love to have that, and extend to 55k+ seats. But maybe my numbers are way off.

Or maybe I just expect to see huge cost overruns.

I think you’re off on your memory

They were saying $50M a few years ago....which is what the entire stadium cost when we rebuilt it

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-13-2018, 10:38 AM
The University just announced a press conference for tomorrow at 10 am MST regarding stadium expansion.

Diehard Ute
11-13-2018, 10:46 AM
The University just announced a press conference for tomorrow at 10 am MST regarding stadium expansion.

Kragthrope says 51,000 seats, completed in 2021

LA Ute
11-13-2018, 11:15 AM

I was told construction would start after the 2019 season. One of Harlan’s staff told me the lockers under the SEZ ought to be condemned. Sewage actually leaks through the ceiling and their constantly dealing with that. 😳

concerned
11-13-2018, 11:27 AM

$80 mil for 4000 seats? I realize that the locker rooms need to be replaced, and Harlan really wants luxury boxes, but still. That seems like a poor ROI. I thought it would be 55-57K. And why would anybody buy a luxury box in an end zone?

Diehard Ute
11-13-2018, 11:39 AM
$80 mil for 4000 seats? I realize that the locker rooms need to be replaced, and Harlan really wants luxury boxes, but still. That seems like a poor ROI. I thought it would be 55-57K. And why would anybody buy a luxury box in an end zone?

Well, it’s probably more like 8,000 seats since you have to completely replace the existing ones as well.

I honestly think Hill was the one pushing the boxes. The survey sent out under his administration was almost entirely about luxury high priced options.

As someone who sits in the south end zone and has for 35 years, I’m concerned I’ll be out of a seat with the expansion as I won’t be able to afford it.

That being said, luxury seating in endzones is popular (and the end zone is a great place to watch a game)

My guess is beyond locker rooms, seating and restrooms there will be infrastructure upgrades (LED lighting for the field, WiFi etc) included along with things for all the food trucks etc. I also would guess the plaza gets a big change

concerned
11-13-2018, 11:43 AM
Well, it’s probably more like 8,000 seats since you have to completely replace the existing ones as well.

I honestly think Hill was the one pushing the boxes. The survey sent out under his administration was almost entirely about luxury high priced options.

As someone who sits in the south end zone and has for 35 years, I’m concerned I’ll be out of a seat with the expansion as I won’t be able to afford it.

That being said, luxury seating in endzones is popular (and the end zone is a great place to watch a game)

My guess is beyond locker rooms, seating and restrooms there will be infrastructure upgrades (LED lighting for the field, WiFi etc) included along with things for all the food trucks etc. I also would guess the plaza gets a big change

I was told by somebody that Harlan really wants luxury boxes. I am just surprised that we are not increasing capacity by more than that. Hope you are right about end zone luxury suites; that is what it will be.

Diehard Ute
11-13-2018, 12:06 PM
I was told by somebody that Harlan really wants luxury boxes. I am just surprised that we are not increasing capacity by more than that. Hope you are right about end zone luxury suites; that is what it will be.

I’m not. 55,000 was the top I thought we’d see, but I figured that was not likely.

They’re balancing accessibility with exclusivity.

I just hope they realize they need passionate fans as much as rich ones.

LA Ute
11-13-2018, 12:20 PM

I was told just last weekend that all the consultants in the world (I exaggerate) say that with so much TV available 51,000 is the upper limit without guaranteeing lots of empty seats. FWIW. And yes, according to this person, there will be luxury boxes more attractive than those now above the west side.

U-Ute
11-13-2018, 12:25 PM
Boom

Diehard Ute
11-13-2018, 12:34 PM
I hope so too, but I think they are being smart. Football attendance is in decline almost everywhere. It makes no sense to expand by many seats. But luxury boxes will probably find sponsors. There are always rich people and/or corporations to fill those boxes.

Not always. When the economy goes south those boxes often sit empty.

Rocker Ute
11-13-2018, 01:34 PM
I hope so too, but I think they are being smart. Football attendance is in decline almost everywhere. It makes no sense to expand by many seats. But luxury boxes will probably find sponsors. There are always rich people and/or corporations to fill those boxes.

Having worked in Park City for a couple of decades now, I'm always amazed at what people will tolerate or pay for if they believe it is "luxury".

At the U and Jazz games when I've had the opportunity to sit in box seats I've always enjoyed sitting closer with the commoners more.

That's my 2 cents.

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-13-2018, 02:02 PM
Growing up, my uncle was an advertising big wig for RC Willey. Because of that, he'd get lots of kickbacks in the form of tickets to events around the valley. One day he threw a couple suite tickets to my dad and I for a Jazz game. My excitement diminished significantly when I looked around to realize that the catered food was sandwiches. Seeing my disappointment, my dad looked at me and said, "It will never cease to surprise me how much people are willing to spend for mediocre free food."

Having worked in Park City for a couple of decades now, I'm always amazed at what people will tolerate or pay for if they believe it is "luxury".

At the U and Jazz games when I've had the opportunity to sit in box seats I've always enjoyed sitting closer with the commoners more.

That's my 2 cents.

LA Ute
11-13-2018, 02:11 PM

That's my 2 cents.

I agree. It’s always harder to enjoy the game from one of those boxes. My firm has one at Staples and its really for entertaining clients, not for watching the game — which is pretty much going on in the background.

Utebiquitous
11-13-2018, 02:35 PM
There's a hybrid experience now at Jazz games. I don't know what they are officially called but there are now "bunker" suites immediately under the seats along both sidelines. You go into the suite and can have a meal and watch the game or other television on a large screen. The suites come with 12 seats on the sixth and seventh rows at midcourt. It's quite an experience. You can come and go from the seats into the suite. I've attended a couple of games and it's a great mix. Most of the guests I've hosted just prefer to come early, eat a meal and then go out to their seats coming inside the suite quickly at quarter breaks and then for a longer period at halftime to eat/drink. Some have been more social wanting to be in and out.

Anyway, it's a new part of Jazz game day experience that a handful of corporations have bought into.

concerned
11-13-2018, 02:46 PM
I agree. It’s always harder to enjoy the game from one of those boxes. My firm has one at Staples and its really for entertaining clients, not for watching the game — which is pretty much going on in the background.

I attended a game in one of the suites on a Saturday after Xmas, and the NFL playoffs were on the tv. Everybody watched the football games, especially those in fantasy football, and nobody watched the bb game.

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-13-2018, 02:58 PM
Sneak peak.

Rocker Ute
11-13-2018, 03:20 PM
There's a hybrid experience now at Jazz games. I don't know what they are officially called but there are now "bunker" suites immediately under the seats along both sidelines. You go into the suite and can have a meal and watch the game or other television on a large screen. The suites come with 12 seats on the sixth and seventh rows at midcourt. It's quite an experience. You can come and go from the seats into the suite. I've attended a couple of games and it's a great mix. Most of the guests I've hosted just prefer to come early, eat a meal and then go out to their seats coming inside the suite quickly at quarter breaks and then for a longer period at halftime to eat/drink. Some have been more social wanting to be in and out.

Anyway, it's a new part of Jazz game day experience that a handful of corporations have bought into.

A vendor took me to the Utah/BYU basketball game at BYU a couple of years ago and the experience was similar. We had pretty good seats and a wristband that gave us access to some lounges under the stadium for some pretty nice food and big TVs (and gasp! caffeinated beverages before they were allowed on campus).

That I actually enjoyed. It helped that Utah won that night too. Seems like a smarter, more enjoyable and economic way to handle corporate sponsors and miscellaneous big wigs.

Diehard Ute
11-13-2018, 03:30 PM
Sneak peak.

So, I should just plan on watching games on TV from 2021 on. Got it.

Scratch
11-13-2018, 03:51 PM
So, I should just plan on watching games on TV from 2021 on. Got it.

Why? There will still be plenty of standard seats; in fact, there will be more. They aren't going to convert all of those seats into "luxury" items and still increase the total capacity by 5K.

Diehard Ute
11-13-2018, 03:59 PM
Why? There will still be plenty of standard seats; in fact, there will be more. They aren't going to convert all of those seats into "luxury" items and still increase the total capacity by 5K.

Maybe, maybe not....they’ll likely move my 7th row seat much higher and into the corner....and charge more for it.

I haven’t talked to anyone who sits in the south endzone who isn’t concerned about being priced out.

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-13-2018, 04:13 PM
Maybe, maybe not....they’ll likely move my 7th row seat much higher and into the corner....and charge more for it.

I haven’t talked to anyone who sits in the south endzone who isn’t concerned about being priced out.

Yes. That has to be a huge concern. Likely for people in the North as well, albeit to a lesser extent.

LA Ute
11-14-2018, 05:50 AM
Yes. That has to be a huge concern. Likely for people in the North as well, albeit to a lesser extent.

Everyone’s season tickets are going to get more expensive. We’re all bracing ourselves — $80 million is a big bill to pay.

Diehard Ute
11-14-2018, 07:10 AM
Everyone’s season tickets are going to get more expensive. We’re all bracing ourselves — $80 million is a big bill to pay.

Especially when they’re projecting only 44% will be covered via donations.

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-14-2018, 08:06 AM
Gulp. Here we go. I don’t see your seats Diehard. 😞

Diehard Ute
11-14-2018, 09:51 AM
Gulp. Here we go. I don’t see your seats Diehard. 😞

Yup. My good seat is gone.

Looks like the best I could hope for is 30 rows up on a 45 degree angle.

Chances are at the price my family will give up our tickets.

Scorcho
11-14-2018, 10:28 AM
missed opportunity to take the seating to 51,666.

I'm always looking for an opportunity to fortify BYU fans belief that the U is of the devil.

Utebiquitous
11-14-2018, 10:32 AM
Diehard,
I've always thought that if they enclose the stadium they'll move students to the south and season ticket holders to where the Muss is now. Any discussion about this?

Utebiquitous
11-14-2018, 10:38 AM
I guess the answer to my question is a resounding no. Looking at the graphics they're going with a what looks like a higher end experience in the south endzone.

Scorcho
11-14-2018, 10:53 AM
Harlan said in an interview with Bill Riley the bounce house car wash entrance days are numbered

Diehard Ute
11-14-2018, 10:57 AM
Diehard,
I've always thought that if they enclose the stadium they'll move students to the south and season ticket holders to where the Muss is now. Any discussion about this?

That’s not happening

And again, I really didn’t like the idea of trading my endzone view for a seat 5 yards deep in the endzone.

My biggest complaint is the lack of information the U has given to those of us who have been faithful fans for 30+ years. It became obvious when the survey came out last year they really only care about people with $$$$$$$

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-14-2018, 11:04 AM
I guess the answer to my question is a resounding no. Looking at the graphics they're going with a what looks like a higher end experience in the south endzone.

In the press conference they said that current south end zone ticket holders will have the option to move up and to the corners, which is the same, right?!

I'm disappointed that I don't see any mention of a beach.

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-14-2018, 11:06 AM
missed opportunity to take the seating to 51,666.

I'm always looking for an opportunity to fortify BYU fans belief that the U is of the devil.

Someone on Twitter mentioned that the target number should have been 54,210.

LA Ute
11-14-2018, 11:16 AM
This is a very nice video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL8MOS_RExU&feature=youtu.be

I don't quite understand the SEZ seating. Looks like special (expensive) extensions right out to the edge of the end zone. The sight lines seem awful on the east and west sides of those extensions, but I'm sure I am not seeing how everything is supposed to work.

concerned
11-14-2018, 11:57 AM
Especially when they’re projecting only 44% will be covered via donations.

I'm hoping we will get Mexico to pay for it.

Old Standing ute
11-14-2018, 01:04 PM
This is a very nice video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL8MOS_RExU&feature=youtu.be

I don't quite understand the SEZ seating. Looks like special (expensive) extensions right out to the edge of the end zone. The sight lines seem awful on the east and west sides of those extensions, but I'm sure I am not seeing how everything is supposed to work.

I especially liked the sound track to that video.

And yes it does look weird.

Rocker Ute
11-14-2018, 01:25 PM
Bring back the Olympic Cauldron.

U-Ute
11-14-2018, 01:34 PM
I've been trying to figure out what the hell is going on with this weird, boxy, tiered seating arrangement.

Unrealistic. Nobody is wearing red.

Diehard Ute
11-14-2018, 01:52 PM
I've been trying to figure out what the hell is going on with this weird, boxy, tiered seating arrangement.

It’s kind of like movie theater luxury seating I believe, probably has food service etc

Diehard Ute
11-14-2018, 01:56 PM
Bring back the Olympic Cauldron.

Why, we’re too cheap to light it.

And I’m guessing if we get 2026 or 2030 they’ll build a new one.

chrisrenrut
11-14-2018, 02:29 PM
Why, we’re too cheap to light it.

And I’m guessing if we get 2026 or 2030 they’ll build a new one.

The old one is an eye-sore anyways. It was ugly new, and didn't age/weather well.

Scorcho
11-14-2018, 02:44 PM

those bar stool seats appear to be all the rage in sports these days, Folsom field added those last year. I guess now you can bring your homework to the game, or a crossword

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site21/2015/0828/20150828__30DCSFOLw~1.jpg

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/marino_cipriano-300x300.jpg?quality=90&strip=allhttp://i.imgur.com/Q8MjQ3o.jpg?1

U-Ute
11-14-2018, 03:59 PM
those bar stool seats appear to be all the rage in sports these days, Folsom field added those last year. I guess now you can bring your homework to the game, or a crossword

Well, I can see why you'd have to find something to do while at a CU game.

NorthwestUteFan
11-14-2018, 06:46 PM
Well, I can see why you'd have to find something to do while at a CU game.It helps to have a solid surface to roll joints.

Diehard Ute
11-14-2018, 07:59 PM
The U has confirmed what most of us thought.

Those of us who have south endzone tickets will be “given the opportunity” to upgrade to premium seats, or be moved to the “new bleacher seats”.

They’ve given no indication of the cost of the new bleacher seats....but they’re certainly taking a beating online from angry fans who have had seats since the south endzone was built.

I get they want money....just wish they’d realize the lowest paid assistant coach on the football team makes almost what my wife and I make....combined.

concerned
11-14-2018, 09:57 PM
The U has confirmed what most of us thought.

Those of us who have south endzone tickets will be “given the opportunity” to upgrade to premium seats, or be moved to the “new bleacher seats”.

They’ve given no indication of the cost of the new bleacher seats....but they’re certainly taking a beating online from angry fans who have had seats since the south endzone was built.

I get they want money....just wish they’d realize the lowest paid assistant coach on the football team makes almost what my wife and I make....combined.

To me, the problem with the design is that the seats, esp. The bleacher seats, are so far away from the field. Its almost like the old days when there was a track between the seats and the field.

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-07-2019, 02:38 PM
The Athletic Program launched a new site for the new south end zone today. The site has a bunch of information and a place to submit your info to secure your space. Dollar, dollar bills.

https://www.kengarffperformancezone.com/?fbclid=IwAR3Pz1JCt5Hp9GiS_B2FswjHbDwBXJSFfKsK3-uGvtsdSGg8JptFnmiTkys

Diehard Ute
11-07-2019, 03:03 PM
The Athletic Program launched a new site for the new south end zone today. The site has a bunch of information and a place to submit your info to secure your space. Dollar, dollar bills.

https://www.kengarffperformancezone.com/?fbclid=IwAR3Pz1JCt5Hp9GiS_B2FswjHbDwBXJSFfKsK3-uGvtsdSGg8JptFnmiTkys

Doesn’t really give any new info

But the more info they put out the more I feel like our seats are in jeopardy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro