PDA

View Full Version : Off with their headsets! - Coaching hirings and firings

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Scratch
01-11-2014, 05:02 PM
Coachingsearch.com is reporting that Finn is out and former Wyoming assistant Jim Harding is a candidate for the spot:

https://twitter.com/intent/user?original_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.coachingsea rch.com%2F&profile_id=389880635&screen_name=coachingsearch&tw_i=422150833200173056&tw_p=embeddedtimeline&tw_w=347473093188546560

Devildog
01-11-2014, 05:48 PM
Just saw 1280 reporting on twitter that Dan Finn is out at the U. If true, no surprise here.

Better line play is required if we are going to move forward in this conference... gotta break some eggs.

SoCalPat
01-11-2014, 06:13 PM
Better line play is required if we are going to move forward in this conference... gotta break some eggs.

To use boxing terms, this move is a KO 1 victory for the fans and a unanimous decision victory for Kyle. Even us armchair QBs could see something was horribly amiss on the O-line and demanded change. Kyle, who touted the O-line as a strength in the preseason, apparently thought likewise and broke the necessary eggs.

concerned
01-11-2014, 06:17 PM
To use boxing terms, this move is a KO 1 victory for the fans and a unanimous decision victory for Kyle. Even us armchair QBs could see something was horribly amiss on the O-line and demanded change. Kyle, who touted the O-line as a strength in the preseason, apparently thought likewise and broke the necessary eggs.

I wonder if Kyle broke the eggs, or Christensen broke the eggs. May mean that dc really is in charge of the offense

or

SoCalPat
01-11-2014, 06:19 PM
I wonder if Kyle broke the eggs, or Christensen broke the eggs. Mane mean that dc really is in charge

or Christensen broke the eggs.

I doubt it was something that Kyle hadn't thought of prior to today. Whatever Christensen had to say was probably just to validate Kyle's thinking on the matter.

Damage U
01-11-2014, 06:35 PM
Coachingsearch.com is reporting that Finn is out and former Wyoming assistant Jim Harding is a candidate for the spot:

https://twitter.com/intent/user?original_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.coachingsea rch.com%2F&profile_id=389880635&screen_name=coachingsearch&tw_i=422150833200173056&tw_p=embeddedtimeline&tw_w=347473093188546560

Looks like Harding has followed DC around a bit. Toledo, Mizzou and Wyo.
http://www.gowyo.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/harding_jim00.html
Kind of scares me that Wyoming is Utah's hotbed for football lately.

Hot Lunch
01-11-2014, 06:39 PM

Totally agree. I was calling for his head all year. Our o line play was pathetic the past two years.

LA Ute
01-11-2014, 06:51 PM
I hope this means that DC really is running the offense and that he made the call with Kyle's approval. That's not really an implausible scenario.

I'm also hoping the next OL coach has some decent big-conference experience. Harding, the guy from Wyoming, was only a graduate assistant at Missouri with Christensen for three seasons prior to going to Wyoming.

Harding began his coaching career as an offensive graduate assistant at the University of Missouri where Christensen was then the offensive coordinator. Harding served in that role for the 2002, 2003 and 2004 seasons.

crazyute
01-11-2014, 07:09 PM
I hope this means that DC really is running the offense and that he made the call with Kyle's approval. That's not really an implausible scenario.

I'm also hoping the next OL coach has some decent big-conference experience. Harding, the guy from Wyoming, was only a graduate assistant at Missouri with Christensen for three seasons prior to going to Wyoming.

You mean someone who doesn't have the small conference mind that 6'2" tackles are ok at this level?

LA Ute
01-11-2014, 07:38 PM
You mean someone who doesn't have the small conference mind that 6'2" tackles are ok at this level?

Yep. None of our assistant coaches should be coaching at the major conference level for the first time.

jrj84105
01-11-2014, 07:44 PM
Yep. None of our assistant coaches should be coaching at the major conference level for the first time.
I don't get why Christensen wouldn't just take over the O-Line himself. I thought that was a major selling point with his hire?

KW gets a lot of crap for hiring from within his circle, but Baxter out of USC seems like a really good potential addition.

UTEopia
01-11-2014, 10:34 PM
Looks like Harding has followed DC around a bit. Toledo, Mizzou and Wyo.
Kind of scares me that Wyoming is Utah's hotbed for football lately.

I would hope that if the Utes are going to start firing coaches that they would bring in somebody with a more impressive resume than the guy just fired and with recruiting ties in areas where the Utes typically recruit.

Hot Lunch
01-12-2014, 10:33 AM
I don't get why Christensen wouldn't just take over the O-Line himself. I thought that was a major selling point with his hire?

KW gets a lot of crap for hiring from within his circle, but Baxter out of USC seems like a really good potential addition.

Does Baxter coach the O line? From my understanding, Baxter is one of the best special teams coordinators out there. We need help there but I want a great o line coach. Our o line was so pathetic the last two year and if we want to compete, we need some major improvements up front.

Utah
01-12-2014, 11:17 AM
Does Baxter coach the O line? From my understanding, Baxter is one of the best special teams coordinators out there. We need help there but I want a great o line coach. Our o line was so pathetic the last two year and if we want to compete, we need some major improvements up front.

We currently do not have a ST coach. I would assume Christensen would take over OL and Baxter would take over ST.

LA Ute
01-14-2014, 12:37 PM
Dirk Facer:

Utah officially hires former Wyoming offensive line coach Jim Harding.

https://twitter.com/DirkFacer/status/423139736467677186

So Kyle gives another young, inexperienced guy the best job that guy's ever had. Maybe Kyle can't afford more experienced people?

sancho
01-14-2014, 12:41 PM
Dirk Facer:

So Kyle gives another young, inexperienced guy the best job that guy's ever had. Maybe Kyle can't afford more experienced people?

Wait, I thought we wanted him to give personnel control to the OC? We don't know what we want. Well, we know we want to win.

LA Ute
01-14-2014, 01:10 PM
Wait, I thought we wanted him to give personnel control to the OC? We don't know what we want. Well, we know we want to win.

Fair point. I just hate to see guys come here for their first major-conference job. Oh well, at least DC has been an OC in a major conference program. And maybe that's just who Utah is right now.

Diehard Ute
01-14-2014, 01:19 PM
Fair point. I just hate to see guys come here for their first major-conference job. Oh well, at least DC has been an OC in a major conference program. And maybe that's just who Utah is right now.

So you'd rather have someone who was canned at a major conference job?

Just not sure that where you coach is as important as what and how you coach.

LA Ute
01-14-2014, 03:04 PM
So you'd rather have someone who was canned at a major conference job?

Yeah, that was exactly what I meant! 1008

Just not sure that where you coach is as important as what and how you coach.

IMO we've been burned already by KW's penchant for hiring not only friends and family but people who don't have the experience to do the job.

Diehard Ute
01-14-2014, 03:05 PM
Yeah, that was exactly what I meant! 1008

IMO we've been burned already by KW's penchant for hiring not only friends and family but people who don't have the experience to do the job.

To some degree yes.

I don't think a 5 year coach at a D1 school should be compared to hires with no experience however.

LA Ute
01-14-2014, 03:22 PM
To some degree yes.

I don't think a 5 year coach at a D1 school should be compared to hires with no experience however.

We don't disagree all that much. Maybe the new OL coach will have a good sense of what the PAC-12 is like just by watching a lot of game film. I earnestly hope he turns out to be a star coach.

jrj84105
01-14-2014, 03:28 PM
This is probably a good enough hire. The O-line sucked and Finn was the least valuable recruiter on staff so not much is lost from either a coaching or recruiting perspective. We also have to adjust expectations based on where KW is right now. He has two years left on his contract, and he will be on pretty much every top 20 hot seat list going into next season. It's not an ideal position for recruiting coaching talent (although it's likely a step ahead of having a 25 yo OC).

Utah
01-14-2014, 05:07 PM
I still think it is absolutely NUTS to have Whitt on the hot seat this year. Crazy. You want to show an unstable, Washington Redskins-type run team? Put Whitt on the hotseat.

This year will be our FIRST year having any sort of semblance of depth. This is the FIRST year that he will have a chance to compete for a whole season.

Crazy. Absolutely Crazy.

SoCalPat
01-14-2014, 05:19 PM
I still think it is absolutely NUTS to have Whitt on the hot seat this year. Crazy. You want to show an unstable, Washington Redskins-type run team? Put Whitt on the hotseat.

This year will be our FIRST year having any sort of semblance of depth. This is the FIRST year that he will have a chance to compete for a whole season.

Crazy. Absolutely Crazy.

I think Kyle gets two more years, minimum, but that we don't even know who our staring QB is already makes me nervous that this year could be bad enough (3-9 or worse) where he only gets one.

concerned
01-14-2014, 05:22 PM
I think Kyle gets two more years, minimum, but that we don't even know who our staring QB is already makes me nervous that this year could be bad enough (3-9 or worse) where he only gets one.

Two uncertainties: (i) do you have to extend KW after next year, so he is not a lame duck recruiter; and (2) where will C Hill be next year or the year after, and does finding his successor take precedence and buy KW more or less time?

SoCalPat
01-14-2014, 05:30 PM
Two uncertainties: (i) do you have to extend KW after next year, so he is not a lame duck recruiter; and (2) where will C Hill be next year or the year after, and does finding his successor take precedence and buy KW more or less time?

1. My understanding is that Kyle's contract is good through the 2016 season, so the two-year timetable doesn't worry about extending Kyle. If he's fired, it will be done with 1 or 2 years left on his deal. If this information is wrong, I extend him the year, but I lower the buyout the U. pays for firing him.

2. That's a damn good question, if only for the fact that nobody talks specifics about Hill's potential replacement. Is that person even on campus? You could probably get equal money on both sides of a who-lasts-longer-at-the-U. bet involving Hill and Kyle.

UTEopia
01-14-2014, 05:38 PM
1. My understanding is that Kyle's contract is good through the 2016 season, so the two-year timetable doesn't worry about extending Kyle. If he's fired, it will be done with 1 or 2 years left on his deal. If this information is wrong, I extend him the year, but I lower the buyout the U. pays for firing him.

2. That's a damn good question, if only for the fact that nobody talks specifics about Hill's potential replacement. Is that person even on campus? You could probably get equal money on both sides of a who-lasts-longer-at-the-U. bet involving Hill and Kyle.

I think you are right on Kyle's contract. I think it extended one year for winning 8 games in 2011. As for Hill's replacement, I sure hope that person is not at the U because there is nobody in the Athletic Administration who impresses me as an up and comer.

ATCUte
01-14-2014, 06:41 PM

Crazy. Absolutely Crazy.

Yes, let's step back from the edge. Kyle is a great coach, and he wants to be at Utah, not just use it as the next career stop. Those two things are huge to me as a fan. I give Kyle AT LEAST two more years, even if we have losing seasons. He has shown how well he can coach, and considering how close several of our eventual losses last season were, it seems like we should think carefully before we let him go.

Look at the coaches the big name schools hired this year: I would argue that Kyle is a better coach than both Sarkisian and Strong, and we are paying him significantly less. So, yeah, give Kyle a chance. Great things are ahead!

jrj84105
01-14-2014, 06:45 PM
Every preseason piece on PAC12 football is going to discuss the heat of KW's seat. He's going to appear on most every top 25 list for hottest seats preseason, and will crack a few top tens. I don't think it's a reality or deserved, but people had better get used to hearing it, because it's going to be the first thing discussed by outsiders when Utah football is brought up and it's going to stay that way until we hit 6 wins or KW gets the boot.

Edit: if TW comes back that will be a stronger narrative than KW's hot seat, but sans TW, the lazy blurb about Utah will be KW's hot seat. Expect to hear it as often as the lazy blurb about Dres being Flipper's kid.

LA Ute
01-14-2014, 06:51 PM
As for Hill's replacement, I sure hope that person is not at the U because there is nobody in the Athletic Administration who impresses me as an up and comer.

Amen, brother.

But now that I think about it, there are at least a dozen guys who post on Utezone who probably think they are qualified to be Hill's successor. I hope they apply. ;)

NorthwestUteFan
01-14-2014, 07:30 PM
If money is an issue perhaps Kyle should 'invest' $500k of his salary into a fund to hire better assistants to atone for some of his bad hires the last few years.

SoCalPat
01-14-2014, 10:13 PM
I think you are right on Kyle's contract. I think it extended one year for winning 8 games in 2011. As for Hill's replacement, I sure hope that person is not at the U because there is nobody in the Athletic Administration who impresses me as an up and comer.

I would interview Greg Marsden if he was interested. If he could do across the athletic department like he did with a fringe sport in gymnastics, we'd be impact players in the Pac-12. Plus, it would allow Megan full control of the gym program and that's something that probably should have happened years ago.

LA Ute
01-14-2014, 11:16 PM
Bill Riley and Hans Olson's interview of Jim Harding - about 9 minutes long.

http://espn.kall700sports.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Jim-Harding-1-14-14.mp3 (http://espn.kall700sports.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Jim-Harding-1-14-14.mp3)

SoCalPat
01-15-2014, 08:20 AM
Every preseason piece on PAC12 football is going to discuss the heat of KW's seat. He's going to appear on most every top 25 list for hottest seats preseason, and will crack a few top tens. I don't think it's a reality or deserved, but people had better get used to hearing it, because it's going to be the first thing discussed by outsiders when Utah football is brought up and it's going to stay that way until we hit 6 wins or KW gets the boot.

Edit: if TW comes back that will be a stronger narrative than KW's hot seat, but sans TW, the lazy blurb about Utah will be KW's hot seat. Expect to hear it as often as the lazy blurb about Dres being Flipper's kid.

Coaches Hot Seat, which is pretty reasonable with this kind of thing, has Kyle 43rd in FBS. Only Pac-12 coaches on hotter seats are Mike McIntyre (39th), Mike Riley (29th) and Sonny Dykes (9th). However, I've never seen a more outlandish ranking from CHS than what it has done with Nick Saban, whose seat is 11th hottest.

sancho
01-15-2014, 09:00 AM
Coaches Hot Seat, which is pretty reasonable with this kind of thing, has Kyle 43rd in FBS. Only Pac-12 coaches on hotter seats are Mike McIntyre (39th), Mike Riley (29th) and Sonny Dykes (9th). However, I've never seen a more outlandish ranking from CHS than what it has done with Nick Saban, whose seat is 11th hottest.

Reasonable? Lazy "hot seat" journalism shares a lot of the blame for the current crazy culture of firing your coach every other year. "Well, I need to update my hot seat power ranking, who didn't go to a bowl game last year?" If we didn't let the media tell us what to think, this kind of Whittingham hot seat talk would be laughed at like it should be. We have a good coach who wants to be here. He should have a lifetime contract. I wish sports journalists could be held to the same high standard - two uninspiring articles in a row and you're gone - I don't care if you did break your hand and can't type.

I would interview Greg Marsden if he was interested. If he could do across the athletic department like he did with a fringe sport in gymnastics, we'd be impact players in the Pac-12. Plus, it would allow Megan full control of the gym program and that's something that probably should have happened years ago.

No offense, but all other sports are secondary to football in this hire. ADs, from what I understand, have 3 duties that I care about: raising money, scheduling football games, and organizing new hires. We would need someone with strong football ties for the scheduling and the hiring (especially if we fire Whittingham and join the new coach every 3 years program).

SoCalPat
01-15-2014, 09:23 AM
Reasonable? Lazy "hot seat" journalism shares a lot of the blame for the current crazy culture of firing your coach every other year. "Well, I need to update my hot seat power ranking, who didn't go to a bowl game last year?" If we didn't let the media tell us what to think, this kind of Whittingham hot seat talk would be laughed at like it should be. We have a good coach who wants to be here. He should have a lifetime contract. I wish sports journalists could be held to the same high standard - two uninspiring articles in a row and you're gone - I don't care if you did break your hand and can't type.

No offense, but all other sports are secondary to football in this hire. ADs, from what I understand, have 3 duties that I care about: raising money, scheduling football games, and organizing new hires. We would need someone with strong football ties for the scheduling and the hiring (especially if we fire Whittingham and join the new coach every 3 years program).

That role goes to boosters, hands down. And what college program fires its coach every other year? And while I like Kyle and would love to see him another 10 years, the idea that he should have a lifetime contract is absurd.

As for the "important" AD duties, I could pick a dozen people on this board to schedule games and lead hiring committees. (Our previous AD of Ticket Operations led our scheduling efforts). How much football experience did Chris Hill have before getting his position? But he could raise money and that's largely why he got the job.

sancho
01-15-2014, 09:31 AM
That role goes to boosters, hands down. And what college program fires its coach every other year? And while I like Kyle and would love to see him another 10 years, the idea that he should have a lifetime contract is absurd.

As for the "important" AD duties, I could pick a dozen people on this board to schedule games and lead hiring committees. (Our previous AD of Ticket Operations led our scheduling efforts). How much football experience did Chris Hill have before getting his position? But he could raise money and that's largely why he got the job.

The boosters often get their impatience from the media. The media needs hot seat lists, controversies, etc, to stay alive, especially in the off season. They create a good portion of it all.

I think we agree that fund raising is #1-100 on the list for an AD. Go ahead and put scheduling at #101 if you like. But fund raising doesn't really matter to me as a fan, and scheduling does.

More programs should do the lifetime contract thing. It's always a little hard at the end when the coach is 85 and doesn't want to stop, but it's a great ride for players and fans.

jrj84105
01-15-2014, 10:16 AM
More programs should do the lifetime contract thing. It's always a little hard at the end when the coach is 85 and doesn't want to stop, but it's a great ride for players and fans.

I disagree with the lifetime hiring thing. There's a reason why successful corporations/football programs have fairly constant turnover at the top and it's not all attributable to fussy shareholders and donors. The leadership demands for an organization change as the competitive environment changes. Every leader has personal strengths and weaknesses and unless somebody is basically the complete package, even most top notch executives (and coaches) will eventually find that their skillset is no longer a great fit for the current environment. Then they move on to another company/team that does need their skillset. Moving up and down the career ladder and making horizontal moves are an expected and necessary component of these jobs.

Applejack
01-15-2014, 10:35 AM
I disagree with the lifetime hiring thing. There's a reason why successful corporations/football programs have fairly constant turnover at the top and it's not all attributable to fussy shareholders and donors. The leadership demands for an organization change as the competitive environment changes. Every leader has personal strengths and weaknesses and unless somebody is basically the complete package, even most top notch executives (and coaches) will eventually find that their skillset is no longer a great fit for the current environment. Then they move on to another company/team that does need their skillset. Moving up and down the career ladder and making horizontal moves are an expected and necessary component of these jobs.

Agreed. I love Kyle, but I don't want anyone on a lifetime deal. I understand the angst among Utah fans over the football team, but I'm still of the opinion that we are a reliable QB away from good things. We'll never be a top dog in the Pac, but I think Kyle can win the South every 5 years or so if given a chance. That would be great.

LA Ute
01-15-2014, 11:34 AM
Getting back to the neW OL coach, my only fear is that he might be in over his head. We'll see.

Diehard Ute
01-15-2014, 11:43 AM
Getting back to the neW OL coach, my only fear is that he might be in over his head. We'll see.

Again, I have to ask why?

Is there really some magical skill learned by coaching at Washington State versus Wyoming? Is OL really different in the Pac12 vs MWC?

I really liked his analogy that the difference is really about who you're playing versus how you play.

I thought he gave a decent interview considering he has all of 8 hours around the program.

USS Utah
01-15-2014, 12:45 PM
Dirk Facer:

I thought this guy was with DC at Mizzou.

Edit: he was a grad assistant at Mizzou, 2002-2004.

LA Ute
01-15-2014, 12:49 PM
Again, I have to ask why?

Is there really some magical skill learned by coaching at Washington State versus Wyoming? Is OL really different in the Pac12 vs MWC?

I really liked his analogy that the difference is really about who you're playing versus how you play.

I thought he gave a decent interview considering he has all of 8 hours around the program.

I liked his interview and I liked that answer. My worry is that he will be seeing PAC-12 size and speed (other than the Utes' size and speed) for the first time when the season actually starts. (Baseball analogy: Can a minor-leaguer hit big-league pitching? Only way to find out is to let him try.) That's why I hope the new OC can learn what he's in for by watching film.

LA Ute
01-15-2014, 12:50 PM
I thought this guy was with DC at Mizzou.

He was, but as a graduate assistant.

USS Utah
01-15-2014, 12:55 PM
He was, but as a graduate assistant.

Stiil, it's not like his only experience is at Wyoming.

LA Ute
01-15-2014, 12:58 PM
Stiil, it's not like his only experience is at Wyoming.

True. My point is that this job is a step up for him and we don't know if he's up to it. We'll see.

Utah
01-15-2014, 01:00 PM
That's why I hope the new OC can learn what he's in for by watching film.

He was the OC for a top 5 offense at Missouri (Big 12 team). He was also OL coach while at Missouri. SOOOOO, whoever the new hire is, whatever his experience, Christensen has shown he can coach an ELITE BCS offense and OL.

This is all MUCH ado about NOTHING. We have upgraded our coaching at the WR, TE and OL positions with the Christensen hire, and yet, all we do is whine.

Amazing.

LA Ute
01-15-2014, 01:05 PM
He was the OC for a top 5 offense at Missouri (Big 12 team). He was also OL coach while at Missouri. SOOOOO, whoever the new hire is, whatever his experience, Christensen has shown he can coach an ELITE BCS offense and OL.

This is all MUCH ado about NOTHING. We have upgraded our coaching at the WR, TE and OL positions with the Christensen hire, and yet, all we do is whine.

Amazing.

I'm not worked-up about it. Just underwhelmed. (BTW, he wasn't the OL coach at Missouri.) Like I said, I hope he's a star and I am optimistic about Dave Christensen.

USS Utah
01-15-2014, 01:10 PM
True. My point is that this job is a step up for him and we don't know if he's up to it. We'll see.

Not like with BJ, though. He's done the job before, just at a non-BCS school.

LA Ute
01-15-2014, 01:41 PM
Not like with BJ, though. He's done the job before, just at a non-BCS school.

Right. The BJ hire was in an entirely different universe from this one, and was crazy.

Utah
01-15-2014, 03:01 PM
I'm not worked-up about it. Just underwhelmed. (BTW, he wasn't the OL coach at Missouri.) Like I said, I hope he's a star and I am optimistic about Dave Christensen.

Ok, I see where I misunderstood you. I thought you were talking about Christensen, but you weren't. You were talking about Harding. Anyhow, my point still stands. When Christensen was at Missouri, he was the OL coach. Missouri's team had a top 5 offense, with their TE's and WR's being All-Americans.

I don't care who the OL coach is. Christensen is coaching the TE's, which overlaps with the OL a ton. They could put me in as the OL coach and our OL would be better off than it was before the DC/Harding hire.

Christensen has been an OL coach before and is now coaching the TE's, which again, has a ton of overlap.

Under Christensen as OC, Missouri's TE's and WR's were All-Americans.

This hire upgrades the WR, TE and OL positions. We should all be ecstatic about this. This is a great hire on paper. A no-brainer.

LA Ute
01-15-2014, 03:15 PM
Ok, I see where I misunderstood you. I thought you were talking about Christensen, but you weren't. You were talking about Harding. Anyhow, my point still stands. When Christensen was at Missouri, he was the OL coach. Missouri's team had a top 5 offense, with their TE's and WR's being All-Americans.

I don't care who the OL coach is. Christensen is coaching the TE's, which overlaps with the OL a ton. They could put me in as the OL coach and our OL would be better off than it was before the DC/Harding hire.

Christensen has been an OL coach before and is now coaching the TE's, which again, has a ton of overlap.

Under Christensen as OC, Missouri's TE's and WR's were All-Americans.

This hire upgrades the WR, TE and OL positions. We should all be ecstatic about this. This is a great hire on paper. A no-brainer.

What I like about the DC hire is that we have a guy who is clearly in charge of the offense, no "co-" anything. He was pretty emphatic about that in his comments to the news media. He's also someone who's done the same job at a major program and was successful. What's not to like about all that? As far as Harding goes, I'm just quibbling. DC will be responsible for the offense, including the O-line, and I'm good with that. Besides, I keep hearing that Finn, DE, and BJ were not on the same page last season. That won't happen now.

jrj84105
01-15-2014, 04:53 PM
I feel like there is a little more urgency now with the DC hire. If we had brought in a lights out recruiter instead, I think KW would have the fallback position of saying that time is needed for the new guy to work his recruiting magic, close the talent gap, etc. There's a delayed payoff to point to. DC's hire, on the other hand, is being sold as a strictly and X and O's decision, so there isn't a delayed playoff. Either the offense improves, or it doesn't. In that sense, I think KW by hiring DC has sort of accelerated the timeline for demonstrating success and made the metric of success very concrete terms of W-L.

sancho
01-15-2014, 04:57 PM
There's a delayed payoff to point to.

Fans and delayed payoffs don't mix well. If they did, we could argue that it might take a few seasons to implement a new offense. Instead, we are saying that it's now or never.

SoCalPat
01-15-2014, 05:13 PM
I feel like there is a little more urgency now with the DC hire. If we had brought in a lights out recruiter instead, I think KW would have the fallback position of saying that time is needed for the new guy to work his recruiting magic, close the talent gap, etc. There's a delayed payoff to point to. DC's hire, on the other hand, is being sold as a strictly and X and O's decision, so there isn't a delayed playoff. Either the offense improves, or it doesn't. In that sense, I think KW by hiring DC has sort of accelerated the timeline for demonstrating success and made the metric of success very concrete terms of W-L.

I think Kyle already knew he was being judged in that matter anyway. Three years into the Pac-12 ... no way could Kyle preach patience with a straight face.

Hadrian
01-15-2014, 11:08 PM
The more I think about it, the more I like the hire of DC.
Pros
-One guy is in charge, and there's a clear hierarchy
-He is experienced and proven
-He brings outsider perspective
-His scheme is very similar to what was already in place
-The OL coach is on the same page and knows the scheme
Cons
-Coaching inconsistency
-Hurt egos

LA Ute
01-21-2014, 06:07 PM
Q&A: Utah OC Dave Christensen (http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id/68274/qa-utahs-dave-christensen)

Utah head coach Kyle Whittingham made a splash last year by hiring Dennis Erickson to be his co-offensive coordinator with Brian Johnson. After one season, he’s made another change, bringing in former Wyoming head coach Dave Christensen to run the show on offense and moving Erickson to running backs coach. Christensen took a few minutes this week to chat with the Pac-12 blog about his plans for fixing the Utes offense, the hierarchy of the coaching staff and his transition back to being a coordinator....

sancho
01-24-2014, 03:27 PM
Stanford promotes Lance Anderson to DC. He's LDS and is the jerk responsible for stealing all those Utah/Idaho kids to Stanford. May his defense give up 50 per game next season.

Utah
02-07-2014, 08:09 AM
BJ interviewing for OC spot at Ole Miss.

Mormon Red Death
02-07-2014, 08:14 AM

That would be great experience for him.

Utah
02-07-2014, 08:22 AM
That would be great experience for him.

I wouldn't mind it if he left. He gets a promotion, can get away from the offensive debacle at Utah, Christensen gets another one of "his" guys in there, BJ gets to get more experience in the south before he takes over for Whitt in 10 years and leads us to our next NC.

Win, win for all.

sancho
02-07-2014, 08:29 AM
I wouldn't mind it if he left. He gets a promotion, can get away from the offensive debacle at Utah, Christensen gets another one of "his" guys in there, BJ gets to get more experience in the south before he takes over for Whitt in 10 years and leads us to our next NC.

Win, win for all.

If he has success in the south, that's where he'll stay. He's already doing a great job recruiting in SEC country.

concerned
02-07-2014, 08:32 AM

Miss. State, not Ole Miss--the Dan Mullen connection.

Utah
02-07-2014, 08:37 AM
Miss. State, not Ole Miss--the Dan Mullen connection.

Good call.

Utah
02-07-2014, 08:38 AM
If he has success in the south, that's where he'll stay. He's already doing a great job recruiting in SEC country.

No way! He will come back after Whitt leads us to a NC, then Whitt will go to the NFL, then GA will come back and take us to another, then retire, then BJ will come back and take us there again! It has begun. ;)

UBlender
02-07-2014, 10:22 AM
Win, win for all.

Not quite. There is a long-term upside in the idea that he can go get good experience elsewhere and possibly come back here in the future as a better coach.

The downside is that Utah just lost one of its best recruiters in Jay Hill. Brian has really come into his own as a recruiter and losing him on top of Hill would be a recruiting blow, which is where I believe we still lag behind our conference-mates. If he does go, I hope he is replaced with a great recruiter.

Scorcho
02-07-2014, 10:23 AM

like most things in a married man's life this will probably come down to how the lovely Mrs. Brian Johnson feels about moving to Mississippi

concerned
02-07-2014, 10:30 AM
like most things in a married man's life this will probably come down to how the lovely Mrs. Brian Johnson feels about moving to Mississippi

Dan Mullen married a Salt Lake girl, and look where she is now.

jrj84105
02-07-2014, 10:35 AM

Win, win for all.
Agreed!

Hadrian
02-07-2014, 10:38 AM
This would certainly hurt our depth at offensive coordinator.

Hot Lunch
02-07-2014, 11:41 AM
Dan Mullen married a Salt Lake girl, and look where she is now.

Are you sure about that? It is my understanding that she wasn't from Utah. Followed him here when he came from Bowling Green.

Sullyute
02-07-2014, 11:52 AM
This would certainly hurt our depth at offensive coordinator.

:clap:OC depth is one spot that I am pretty sure we lead the Pac-12 in.

concerned
02-07-2014, 12:45 PM
Are you sure about that? It is my understanding that she wasn't from Utah. Followed him here when he came from Bowling Green.

you might be right, now that I think about it. I just remember she was a reporter at Channel 13.

Utah
02-07-2014, 12:52 PM
Not quite. There is a long-term upside in the idea that he can go get good experience elsewhere and possibly come back here in the future as a better coach.

The downside is that Utah just lost one of its best recruiters in Jay Hill. Brian has really come into his own as a recruiter and losing him on top of Hill would be a recruiting blow, which is where I believe we still lag behind our conference-mates. If he does go, I hope he is replaced with a great recruiter.

I would call Tupoi or whoever from Washington. He is looking for a job. Big time recruiter. Orgeron (dreaming, I know) is still available as well. If you lose BJ, replace home with a guy who recruits Cali masterfully. That would give us Sitake/Erickson down south, Scalley in Texas and a presence in Cali.

mpfunk
02-07-2014, 01:08 PM
I don't think we are nearly lucky enough for BJ to actually get the job. I'm glad that someone else is considering hiring him though. This would be a huge win for the program and if we ever want to bring him back, it can be someone else dealing with training him on the job while he is sucking it up.

U-Ute
02-07-2014, 08:58 PM
@coachingsearch: Confirmed: Utah quarterbacks coach Brian Johnson will join the Mississippi State staff. http://t.co/kZM7v8rDLX

Utah
02-07-2014, 09:43 PM
This is a win/win for everyone. I don't think Whitt's seat is as hot as some believe. I do think BJ has done a really, really good job at OC, especially considering how terrible the QB situation has been. BUT, I think BJ has been unfairly blamed for no depth when he took over, and Whitt the BJ hire didn't work out as well as both parties had hoped.

This move allows BJ to take a promotion, and head back to the south and make a name for himself, and not be Whitt's prodigy. This move also allows Whitt to remove the whole BJ "youngest coordinator experiment" from the equation and fully give the team over to Christensen. He can have no one looking to take his job and do what he wants to do, as it doesn't sound like Erickson has too much fight left.

This is a good move for all parties. All QB's will now start out on even ground, the OC gets a fresh start, and we can get back to Utah football, which is getting to, and winning bowl games.

Things look bright for the future of Utah football and Brian Johnson.

Now we need to hire Tosh Lupoi.

jrj84105
02-07-2014, 10:12 PM
Tosh is a piece of shit and won't be worth much as a recruiter with the NCAA watching his pocketbook.

Utah
02-07-2014, 11:28 PM
Tosh is a piece of shit and won't be worth much as a recruiter with the NCAA watching his pocketbook.

Wow. Let's look at actual facts here:

"The Seattle Times reported "Davis and his wife met with a UW official and two NCAA investigators for a combined five hours in Seattle on Dec. 20, two days after the allegations first surfaced in a Los Angeles Times report." It appears, however, that Davis was unable to produce compelling evidence beyond his inflammatory accusation."

Man, I hope no one ever falsely accuses you of anything wrong, because then it would be true.

We whine and moan about winning, and we have a chance to add a proven guy, and we whine and moan about that (Christensen first, and Tosh would be second, if it even happened).

LA Ute
02-07-2014, 11:36 PM
What Ute fan doesn't love Brian Johnson? Still, I can't think of any evidence that he has the potential to be a PAC-12 level OC -- or even QB coach. That's not necessarily his fault, but I'm not going to feel terrible about his departure. I hope whatever impact this change has on recruiting is minimal. I also hope Brian does really well at MSU. Who knows, maybe he will someday return to Utah in triumph and contribute to our program again.

sancho
02-08-2014, 07:25 AM
What Ute fan doesn't love Brian Johnson?

MVP of the happiest moment of a Ute fan's life. As far as I'm concerned he can have a lifetime contract along with Coach Whittingham. By the way, the lifetime contract eliminates the "he's on the hot seat" negative recruiting from competitors.

Still, I can't think of any evidence that he has the potential to be a PAC-12 level OC

That's crazy. He has had moments of brilliance in play calling and in recruiting, the two biggest components of an OC's job. And he did it in the midst of a storm of terrible bad luck in terms of injuries.

Diehard Ute
02-08-2014, 07:38 AM
MVP of the happiest moment of a Ute fan's life. As far as I'm concerned he can have a lifetime contract along with Coach Whittingham. By the way, the lifetime contract eliminates the "he's on the hot seat" negative recruiting

Yes, cause coaches with valid contracts are never canned.

sancho
02-08-2014, 07:48 AM
Yes, cause coaches with valid contracts are never canned.

Look, we all know it aint happening, and I'm the only one who wants it (maybe senioritis?), but just as an exercise, imagine Chris Hill announces 1 month ago that Kyle has been signed to a lifetime contract. Do you think anyone believes a "he'll be gone in a year" narrative in another school's negative recruiting pitch?

That's not the real reason for the lifetime contract, but it would be a side benefit.

Utah
02-08-2014, 09:11 AM
That's crazy. He has had moments of brilliance in play calling and in recruiting, the two biggest components of an OC's job. And he did it in the midst of a storm of terrible bad luck in terms of injuries.

I agree with you. BJ was a good OC. If he wasn't, the SEC wouldn't have come calling.

Also, Whitt is a great coach. I'm so pumped to see what he can do with finally having depth, finally having 2 QB's, and having an OC that can FULLY run his offense.

BJ was put in a bad situation with no QB depth, and trying to transition us from Chow's offense to his offense, and he had to do it with only one QB each year, and each year that guy was hurt. Chip Kelly would look like crap with Hays and Schulz as his QB's. I don't get why that is so hard to understand.

Hot Lunch
02-08-2014, 10:07 AM
That's crazy. He has had moments of brilliance in play calling.

No he didn't. Come on now.

Utah
02-08-2014, 10:40 AM
No he didn't. Come on now.

Go rematch the games and see how many TD's were dropped by Dres, White, etc. Then look at how many WR's were wide open and the QB missed the throws.

He may not be the best at developing QB's, but he can call a game.

Utah
02-08-2014, 10:41 AM
Whitt's offered a job to Guy Holliday, WR coach at BYU.

Holliday has been at BYU one year, has spent the rest of his career in the south.

If he takes the job, it's a solid hire. If not, that's ok as well.

If he takes the job, Roderick is probably gone.

LA Ute
02-08-2014, 11:37 AM
MVP of the happiest moment of a Ute fan's life.

No doubt.

That's crazy. He has had moments of brilliance in play calling.

That's a surprising statement. Can you find any reasonably objective analyst who agrees with you?

SoCalPat
02-08-2014, 11:58 AM

This is an apologist view if there ever was one. The terrible bad luck with injuries came under DE, and that offense was 20 spots higher nationally than it was under Brian, who by and large played with a full deck in 2012 and was the benefactor of one of the greatest teams in Utah history with regard to touchdowns that came from outside the offense.

That said, I think Dan Mullen does not get nearly enough credit for making Brian into an exceptional D-1 quarterback. If he can have the same affect on him as a coach, this will be a huge positive for Brian and could lead to his being HC at Utah someday, a move I would totally support in the future.

NorthwestUteFan
02-08-2014, 12:13 PM
Didn't Dan Mullen leave when Urban left? I would think Ludwig had much more influence on BJ's development as a QB since he was coaching him for 4 full years.

LA Ute
02-08-2014, 12:15 PM
Didn't Dan Mullen leave when Urban left? I would think Ludwig had much more influence on BJ's development as a QB since he was coaching him for 4 full years.

I think Mullen coached BJ as a freshman.

NorthwestUteFan
02-08-2014, 12:24 PM
I think Mullen coached BJ as a freshman.

Yes, just the one year. And Mullen did recruit Brian.

SoCalPat
02-08-2014, 12:40 PM

I would agree with this, but the groundwork Mullen laid made Ludwig's job a bit easier. Brian was fourth in the nation in total offense as a sophomore, running an offense that wasn't a whole lot different than what we ran under Urban. What really would've put Mullen over the top in regard to Brian's development was something we never saw -- Brian being forced into extensive, meaningful snaps because Alex was hurt. I believe the offense wouldn't have suffered much, if at all, in such a scenario.

Hot Lunch
02-08-2014, 02:36 PM
Go rematch the games and see how many TD's were dropped by Dres, White, etc. Then look at how many WR's were wide open and the QB missed the throws.

He may not be the best at developing QB's, but he can call a game.

I don't need to go back and watch the games. There wasn't a lot of dropped tds. Brian Johnson was a horrible play caller. He had no business having that position. You need to take your live for Brian as a player out of the equation here.

Utah
02-08-2014, 03:53 PM
I don't need to go back and watch the games. There wasn't a lot of dropped tds. Brian Johnson was a horrible play caller. He had no business having that position. You need to take your live for Brian as a player out of the equation here.

Yeah, you do. Your post is so off base. Brian called great games. Especially last year. If White could catch wide open TD's we win 2 more games.

Hot Lunch
02-08-2014, 05:45 PM
Yeah, you do. Your post is so off base. Brian called great games. Especially last year. If White could catch wide open TD's we win 2 more games.

Oh brother.

sancho
02-08-2014, 05:50 PM
Can you find any reasonably objective analyst who agrees with you?

Does Dan Mullen count? Maybe not objective but certainly knows more about offense than this board combined.

There's no objectivity on a fan board. Objectivity is overrated anyway. I admit to being a biased fan of Whitt and Johnson. I think BJ has had some great calls and some not great calls. Stanford was a work of art. Getting anything out of Shultz is more than many would think possible. The giraffe option at the start of the season against OSU was great. The end around pitch to Dres Anderson in 2012 should have won the game for us (it was dropped). Considering the disaster of QB/OL/WR line play in 2012, we were fortunate to win the few games we did.

To call BJ a horrible play caller is just an easy exercise in blamethrowing. Things are more complicated than that.

Another thought experiment. Imagine we have just an average Pac-12 QB in 2012. What is our record? 7-5? 9-3? Either way, the entire BJ story is different. Instead of being blamed for everything that went wrong, he is hailed as a young offensive genius. Articles are written in SI. Recruits come flocking. It's a fine line between success and failure. But history is written by the winners. Or sometimes, by the whiners.

Hot Lunch
02-08-2014, 06:07 PM
Does Dan Mullen count? Maybe not objective but certainly knows more about offense than this board combined.

There's no objectivity on a fan board. Objectivity is overrated anyway. I admit to being a biased fan of Whitt and Johnson. I think BJ has had some great calls and some not great calls. Stanford was a work of art. Getting anything out of Shultz is more than many would think possible. The giraffe option at the start of the season against OSU was great. The end around pitch to Dres Anderson in 2012 should have won the game for us (it was dropped). Considering the disaster of QB/OL/WR line play in 2012, we were fortunate to win the few games we did.

To call BJ a horrible play caller is just an easy exercise in blamethrowing. Things are more complicated than that.

Another thought experiment. Imagine we have just an average Pac-12 QB in 2012. What is our record? 7-5? 9-3? Either way, the entire BJ story is different. Instead of being blamed for everything that went wrong, he is hailed as a young offensive genius. Articles are written in SI. Recruits come flocking. It's a fine line between success and failure. But history is written by the winners. Or sometimes, by the whiners.

BJ called the Stanford game?

LA Ute
02-08-2014, 06:43 PM
I love BJ for what he is to Utah football. I'm just not going to lose any sleep over his departure from our coaching staff at this point in the program's history.

LA Ute
02-08-2014, 07:08 PM
For what it's worth:

Utah: Utah head coach Kyle Whittingham is moving quickly to try to fill the opening created by the departure of Brian Johnson to Mississippi State. CoachingSearch.com has learned that Whittingham has extended an offer to BYU wide receivers coach Guy Holliday, who is considering his options. No decision has been made.

From Pete Roussel's Coaching Search Ticker. (http://coachingsearch.247sports.com/Article/Coaching-Transactions-Coaching-Seach-Ticker-174892) Is he a credible guy?

EDIT: I'm behind the curve on this. A bunch of others (credible folks) are reporting this is a totally groundless rumor. Some think it was started just to make touble.

Hot Lunch
02-08-2014, 07:23 PM
For what it's worth:

From Pete Roussel's Coaching Search Ticker. (http://coachingsearch.247sports.com/Article/Coaching-Transactions-Coaching-Seach-Ticker-174892) Is he a credible guy?

The editors for Utezone swear it is not true. The have posted this on twitter as well so it is public.

sancho
02-08-2014, 07:34 PM
BJ called the Stanford game?

That was my understanding. At the least, the game plan was a group effort.

sancho
02-08-2014, 07:37 PM
I love BJ for what he is to Utah football. I'm just not going to lose any sleep over his departure from our coaching staff at this point in the program's history.

Now I can agree with you. I'm happy for him, and I'm glad he's going to a team I can feel good rooting for.

LA Ute
02-08-2014, 07:37 PM
The editors for Utezone swear it is not true. The have posted this on twitter as well so it is public.

Yeah, I was a few hours behind the web traffic on this. My bad.

sancho
02-08-2014, 07:43 PM
Yeah, I was a few hours behind the web traffic on this. My bad.

Hope the poor guy didn't hear the rumors and get his hopes up.

tooblue
02-11-2014, 10:58 AM
Gary Andersen: Didn't pursue Browns

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10437008/gary-andersen-wisconsin-badgers-interviewed-cleveland-browns-job

Applejack
02-11-2014, 12:02 PM
Gary Andersen: Didn't pursue Browns

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10437008/gary-andersen-wisconsin-badgers-interviewed-cleveland-browns-job

Pursue them! Pursue them!

Crimsonute
02-11-2014, 12:24 PM
Utah should go after Brett Elliott. Former Utah QB and Mississippi St Grad Assistant. Take one of Mullen's guys.

concerned
02-11-2014, 12:38 PM
Utah should go after Brett Elliott. Former Utah QB and Mississippi St Grad Assistant. Take one of Mullen's guys.

Why do you suppose Mullen hired BJ rather than promote Elliott?

DrumNFeather
02-11-2014, 01:27 PM
Football Scoop as retweeted by Dan Sorensen: Taylor Stubblefield a leading candidate for the WR job at Utah. He accepted the same position for Eastern Michigan last week. http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/taylor_stubblefield_843222.html

SoCalPat
02-11-2014, 01:53 PM
Why do you suppose Mullen hired BJ rather than promote Elliott?

Because Mullen ain't Kyle Whittingham? GA to OC is a massive jump. Additionally, there are rules and contracts for GA coaches, high among them completing a graduate program at the school.

DrumNFeather
02-11-2014, 01:55 PM
Because Mullen ain't Kyle Whittingham? GA to OC is a massive jump. Additionally, there are rules and contracts for GA coaches, high among them completing a graduate program at the school.

That situation seems almost as fun as ours. BJ and Billy Gonzalez to be Co OCs, with Mullen calling the plays.

concerned
02-11-2014, 02:09 PM

BJ isnt the OC--Billy Gonzalez is (along with Hevesy). BJ is the QB coach. BJ made that jump, so did Jordan Wynn.

LA Ute
02-11-2014, 02:56 PM
Ted Miller's take on the Brian Johnson/Utah offense saga. (http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/93551/johnsons-move-good-for-him-utah)

SoCalPat
02-11-2014, 03:39 PM
BJ isnt the OC--Billy Gonzalez is (along with Hevesy). BJ is the QB coach. BJ made that jump, so did Jordan Wynn.

Then the second sentence potentially applies. Ratliff possibly hasn't completed his graduate courseload and cannot be promoted as a result.

Sullyute
02-11-2014, 03:40 PM
Football Scoop as retweeted by Dan Sorensen: Taylor Stubblefield a leading candidate for the WR job at Utah. He accepted the same position for Eastern Michigan last week. http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/taylor_stubblefield_843222.html

Hey, you cannot go wrong with a coach who is not afraid to wear a bowtie.

SoCalPat
02-11-2014, 03:44 PM
Ted Miller's take on the Brian Johnson/Utah offense saga. (http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/93551/johnsons-move-good-for-him-utah)

Leaving now is good for Brian if he ever hoped to advance his career at Utah. He could never be considered for a job here if he went down with a sinking ship this year or next. It's good for Utah now in that it is a sign Kyle is truly handing over the offense to DC.

concerned
02-11-2014, 04:08 PM
Leaving now is good for Brian if he ever hoped to advance his career at Utah. He could never be considered for a job here if he went down with a sinking ship this year or next. It's good for Utah now in that it is a sign Kyle is truly handing over the offense to DC.

He should always have been in a situation where he had an offensive mentor like Mullen (Dennis Erickson notwithstanding). He should never have been OC for a defensive HC. This should be a great move for him.

Utah
02-11-2014, 07:59 PM
He should always have been in a situation where he had an offensive mentor like Mullen (Dennis Erickson notwithstanding). He should never have been OC for a defensive HC. This should be a great move for him.

This is bullshit. I agree with Ted Miller. Had Wynn and Wilson stayed healthy BJ would be a GOD around here.

concerned
02-11-2014, 08:15 PM
This is bullshit. I agree with Ted Miller. Had Wynn and Wilson stayed healthy BJ would be a GOD around here.

You're right.. He was a brilliant coordinator in command of the offense without the need for any mentoring from anyone, done in by unfortunate injuries alone, and Wittingham was too stupid to recognize it and give him another chance.

UTEopia
02-11-2014, 08:42 PM
That was my understanding. At the least, the game plan was a group effort.

Game plan is always a group effort. I was told that BJ became more involved in calling plays after Stanford and that it increased as the year went on.

UTEopia
02-11-2014, 08:44 PM
Then the second sentence potentially applies. Ratliff possibly hasn't completed his graduate courseload and cannot be promoted as a result.

A graduate assistant does not have to obtain his graduate degree in order to be hired as a coach. He simply needs to be enrolled in graduate school to be a graduate assistant.

chrisrenrut
10-22-2016, 11:05 PM
Who will be on the hot seat in the PAC-12 this year? Mora? Rodriguez? Helfrich? Fans bases and media for each seem to be turning on them a bit.

Anderson and Shaw are having crappy seasons. But Anderson is still in rebuild mode, and Shaw probably has enough goodwill to survey. Helton seems to have the Trojans improving, and Dykes is winning just enough and in exciting fashion at home, to keep fans happy. Graham is in abut of a gray area.

Peterson, Whittingham, Mcintyre, and Leach are all solid now, with their teams on the rise and outperforming expectations.

SoCalPat
10-23-2016, 12:06 AM
Who will be on the hot seat in the PAC-12 this year? Mora? Rodriguez? Helfrich? Fans bases and media for each seem to be turning on them a bit.

Anderson and Shaw are having crappy seasons. But Anderson is still in rebuild mode, and Shaw probably has enough goodwill to survey. Helton seems to have the Trojans improving, and Dykes is winning just enough and in exciting fashion at home, to keep fans happy. Graham is in abut of a gray area.

Peterson, Whittingham, Mcintyre, and Leach are all solid now, with their teams on the rise and outperforming expectations.

I think Mora has enough goodwill to survive this year. But he has to win 8 or more next year.

I've heard Helfrich is safe, but that was 3 weeks ago. Not a lot of wins left on the Ducks' schedule. If they pull an 0-fer in league play, how do you not fire him?

NorthwestUteFan
10-23-2016, 08:38 AM
Helfrich has a $11M buyout this year. He isn't going anywhere unless a lot of wealthy people pony up.

UBlender
10-23-2016, 09:53 AM
Helfrich has a $11M buyout this year. He isn't going anywhere unless a lot of wealthy people pony up.

So in other words it probably comes down to whether Phil Knight wants him back.

concerned
10-24-2016, 11:15 AM
Tough spot for Oregon. If they fire Helfrich, aren't they really firing the whole Win The Day system that Belotti and Kelley started? They would have to hire an Oregon outsider.

How is Scott Frost doing in Florida?

mpfunk
10-24-2016, 11:35 AM
Tough spot for Oregon. If they fire Helfrich, aren't they really firing the whole Win The Day system that Belotti and Kelley started? They would have to hire an Oregon outsider.

What makes you think that they won't end up with Chip Kelly again? I really think he ends up back at Oregon either this year or they hold off one more year. Uncle Phil will make that happen. At least for the sake of our good friend HFN, I hope he makes it happen.

mUUser
02-07-2017, 02:12 PM
Sark to Atlanta Falcons as OC. Strong rumors of Chip Kelley to Bama as OC.

The rich get significantly richer.

Utah
02-07-2017, 07:02 PM
Why would Kelly go be an OC? I'd think he'd have any job he wants next November.

Dwight Schr-Ute
02-07-2017, 07:14 PM
I guess this is a good thing. Especially if he was as good of a recruiter as they say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mUUser
10-09-2017, 05:13 PM
Gary Anderson out......

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/20970001/oregon-state-parts-ways-head-coach-gary-andersen

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-10-2017, 02:29 PM
I just realized that a better thread title for this would be "Off With the Headsets!"

Anyway, a bit more insight into the Gary Anderson exit.
http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2017/10/canzano_gary_andersens_exit_ro.html

DrumNFeather
11-29-2017, 07:06 PM
ASU to hire Herm Edwards.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mUUser
11-29-2017, 08:31 PM
ASU to hire Herm Edwards.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

UCLA hits a tater with its choice. ASU fouls off a strike three bunt.

Applejack
11-30-2017, 07:08 AM
Gary Anderson out......

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/20970001/oregon-state-parts-ways-head-coach-gary-andersen

Gary Andersen in?

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2017/11/gary_andersen_heading_back_to.html

Diehard Ute
11-30-2017, 07:33 AM
Gary Andersen in?

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2017/11/gary_andersen_heading_back_to.html

Man, you could have at least given the local guys the credit

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-utes/2017/11/29/kyle-whittingham-gary-andersen-a-potential-candidate-to-join-utes-staff/

concerned
11-30-2017, 07:54 AM
It apparently is widely known/assumed within the athletic dept. that ga is joining the team.

U-Ute
11-30-2017, 10:37 AM
ASU AD was also Herm Edwards's agent.

UTEopia
11-30-2017, 11:17 AM
It apparently is widely known/assumed within the athletic dept. that ga is joining the team.

This will be interesting to watch. Gary has a lot of great qualities as a recruiter and a coach. I don't know how well he and Morgan get along.

mUUser
11-30-2017, 12:18 PM
Washington OC Jonathan Smith to Oregon State. Uninspiring choice, but, I know nothing about the guy so we'll see I guess......Hoping it doesn't go the way of Kalani Sitake for OSU. I've not bought into the theory that its necessary to hire someone closely "connected" with the university.

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2017/11/oregon_state_to_hire_jonathan.html

Applejack
11-30-2017, 12:19 PM

Yeah, the day he resigned (and turned down the $$$$$) I knew that the U was a likely landing spot for him. I mean, he's had success and apparently is a good recruiter. Plus he needs a job after turning down all that cash!

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-30-2017, 12:51 PM
Yeah, the day he resigned (and turned down the $$$$$) I knew that the U was a likely landing spot for him. I mean, he's had success and apparently is a good recruiter. Plus he needs a job after turning down all that cash!

At least until the USU job opens up again.

sancho
11-30-2017, 01:59 PM
I've not bought into the theory that its necessary to hire someone closely "connected" with the university.

We at Utah know better. We've had success with McBride, Meyer, and Majerus.

NorthwestUteFan
11-30-2017, 10:00 PM
ASU AD was also Herm Edwards's agent.

936023783470780417And the assistant AD was also his agent at another time frame. At least they are doing well representing Herm.

We shall see if the same can be said for the Sun Devils.

NorthwestUteFan
11-30-2017, 10:01 PM
And it looks as though The Pirate of the Palouse will move his comedy show (and record-breaking Offense) to Knoxville.

LA Ute
12-01-2017, 06:19 AM
And it looks as though The Pirate of the Palouse will move his comedy show (and record-breaking Offense) to Knoxville.

I love that guy. It will be interesting to see what he can do with “SEC speed.”

Brian
12-01-2017, 06:28 AM
Volnation is in bad shape here in Knoxville. They feel like an awkward 15 year old who keeps getting turned down for prom dates. And, a lot of people are mad that Miles wasn't target #1.

With the recruits that TN gets year in and year out, I'm excited to see what he can do.

sancho
12-01-2017, 08:12 AM
I love that guy. It will be interesting to see what he can do with “SEC speed.”

If I saw a teaser headline about a coaching scandal in the Pac-12, my mind would instantly go to Leach. He always seems a little creepy to me. He tries to joke about everything (hit or miss), he has a weird pirate fetish, and he locked a dude in an equipment shed in the west Texas desert as a form of punishment.

Anyway, I hope he goes. WSU has started stealing recruits from Utah in recent years.

Knoxville is not an upgrade over many college towns, but it probably is an upgrade over Pullman. I have no idea how things would go there. Even though he's turned two programs around, he doesn't feel like a sure thing.

The Pac-12 North was going to be interesting with UW, Oregon, WSU, and Stanford. No way a division can sustain four good teams for an extended time.

I've seen people recommend that WSU promote their DC. I think they are giving this guy too much credit. I watched WSU 3 times this season, and I think Hercules is 90% of that defense. He's a total wrecking ball and a once-in-a-generation type player for WSU. If they want to keep the ball rolling, they should replace Leach with another Air Raider.

NorthwestUteFan
12-01-2017, 08:16 AM
And now Tennessee has fired their AD. This is getting to be hilarious at this point.

They have a losing streak against every team in the SEC, including two in a row to Vanderbilt. The coaching search has been an embarrassment, and they are bleeding money on top of beginning a $340M stadium renovation.

One of the big problems appears to be the control exerted by a big booster, who happens to own the Cleveland Browns. We all know what a marvellous job he does managing that team. I believe the Browns now have two wins since they drafted Johnny Manziel...

sancho
12-01-2017, 08:21 AM
And now Tennessee has fired their AD. This is getting to be hilarious at this point.

So...not Mike Leach. Bummer.

Twitter says Phil Fullmer has been sabotaging the process in order to become the new AD.

Crazy thing is...Tennessee could still return to glory within a few years if it gets lucky.

NorthwestUteFan
12-01-2017, 09:35 AM
I've seen people recommend that WSU promote their DC. I think they are giving this guy too much credit. I watched WSU 3 times this season, and I think Hercules is 90% of that defense. He's a total wrecking ball and a once-in-a-generation type player for WSU. If they want to keep the ball rolling, they should replace Leach with another Air Raider.

Take a look at the stats. Wazzu is #15 in total defense, top 20 in interceptions, sacks, and defensive TDs; top 10 in turnovers gained, TFL, fumble recoveries, passing yards allowed, and 1st down defense; #1 in 3rd down defense, etc.

Their Defense was very good this year overall, and not just due to Mata'afa. The entire defense was extremely disruptive.

sancho
12-01-2017, 09:40 AM
Take a look at the stats. Wazzu is #15 in total defense, top 20 in interceptions, sacks, and defensive TDs; top 10 in turnovers gained, TFL, fumble recoveries, passing yards allowed, and 1st down defense; #1 in 3rd down defense, etc.

Their Defense was very good this year overall, and not just due to Mata'afa. The entire defense was extremely disruptive.

I know the defense is good. I just don't think it's top 25 in anything without Hercules. I think he's that good. The secondary in particular really has a hard time whenever Herc doesn't get pressure on the QB (which is not often).

sancho
12-01-2017, 11:24 AM
So, I guess it's official. Jimbo moves from FSU to A&M. Crazy.

Now, we get to see if Taggart is an FSU target.

sancho
12-01-2017, 12:00 PM
Meanwhile, the rest of the Pac-12 is holding their breath, hoping ASU makes the Herm Edwards hire before they come to their senses.

Scorcho
12-01-2017, 12:23 PM
BYU insiders just put lines through the names Taggart and Jumbo Fisher on BYU's next OC list

mUUser
12-01-2017, 12:24 PM
Jimbo. Gonzo.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21631488/jimbo-fisher-leaving-florida-state-accept-coaching-job-texas-am

mUUser
12-01-2017, 12:27 PM
I'm not obsessed with Oregon State, but, did anyone else catch the press conference/Q&A on Jonathan Smith yesterday? I don't know, but I've got a baaaaaaad feeling this isn't gonna go well for the Beavs. Deers & headlights come to mind.

sancho
12-01-2017, 12:51 PM
I'm not obsessed with Oregon State, but, did anyone else catch the press conference/Q&A on Jonathan Smith yesterday? I don't know, but I've got a baaaaaaad feeling this isn't gonna go well for the Beavs. Deers & headlights come to mind.

I didn't see it, but, really, who is OSU going to get that would turn that program around?

mUUser
12-01-2017, 01:38 PM
I didn't see it, but, really, who is OSU going to get that would turn that program around?

Great question. Personally, I'd go after Bronco with everything I had. The guy can coach.

sancho
12-01-2017, 01:45 PM
Great question. Personally, I'd go after Bronco with everything I had. The guy can coach.

Maybe, but that would be a downward move for him, right? In the ACC, you can rack up 6 wins and go bowling every year. In the Pac-12 north, he'd go against Stanford, Oregon, UW, Cal, and WSU every year. Plus, how do you convince someone living in C-ville to pack it up for Corvallis?

sancho
12-03-2017, 07:47 PM
The internet is claiming that Willie Taggart is leaving Oregon for Florida State. Seems like good news. Now the Ducks need to hire Chip Kelly away from UCLA!

sancho
12-03-2017, 10:04 PM
hoping ASU makes the Herm Edwards hire before they come to their senses.

It happened!

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-03-2017, 10:17 PM
It happened!

IT did happen. The next question is, WTF is “IT?!”

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171204/8c13f2c3e1226882021e0c6bb0f97eab.jpg

U-Ute
12-04-2017, 10:18 AM
They have a losing streak against every team in the SEC, including two in a row to Vanderbilt.

This is why college football needs an equivalent of soccer's promotion/demotion between P5/G5

U-Ute
12-04-2017, 10:18 AM
Meanwhile, the rest of the Pac-12 is holding their breath, hoping ASU makes the Herm Edwards hire before they come to their senses.

:rofl:

U-Ute
12-04-2017, 10:21 AM
IT did happen. The next question is, WTF is “IT?!”

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171204/8c13f2c3e1226882021e0c6bb0f97eab.jpg

WTF kind of release is this?

This sounds more like a series 2 or 3 round of funding for a startup kind of PR than a college football PR.

:moron:

Scorcho
12-04-2017, 11:14 AM
WTF kind of release is this?

This sounds more like a series 2 or 3 round of funding for a startup kind of PR than a college football PR.

:moron:

if I had the first name "Herman", I'd probably go with Herm as well. Rolls of the tongue

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-04-2017, 12:26 PM
Today Herm learned what ASU's mascot is.

Scorcho
12-04-2017, 12:51 PM
Today Herm learned what ASU's mascot is.

I don't always like or agree with Jon Wilner, but this article is excellent.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/12/04/asu-hires-herm-edwards-restructures-football-program-sun-devils-make-a-bold-play-but-it-is-the-right-play/

Old Standing ute
12-04-2017, 01:57 PM
It seems odd to me that Todd Graham was let go or was it fired, but he will still coach Az St in their bowl game.?

I guess it will get his full attention, but I am not sure why.

UTEopia
12-04-2017, 02:13 PM

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/12/04/asu-hires-herm-edwards-restructures-football-program-sun-devils-make-a-bold-play-but-it-is-the-right-play/

Winner generally has good insight and is unafraid to state an opinion. His takes are usually entertaining.

concerned
12-04-2017, 03:00 PM

What, are we the patsy on their schedule? We don't make their schedule difficult?

LA Ute
12-04-2017, 03:02 PM

First, a language police moment for me: He said, "Credit Arizona State for trying a different tact." Doesn't he have an editor? https://brians.wsu.edu/2016/05/25/take-a-different-tact/ Next he''l be saying ASU should of handled this differently.

Second, I thought this was interesting:

I do have serious questions about the model itself, with Edwards as a CEO responsible for vision and leadership and motivation … and not for much hands-on coaching.
The Sun Devils have two solid coordinators in Billy Napier and Phil Bennett, but Anderson seems to be devaluing the role of the head coach when it comes to, you know, coaching.
(Maybe that’s the ex-NFL executive in him.)

On that topic:

* When was the last time a team won the Pac-12 with a hands-off head coach? I’ll give you a few minutes, because you’ll need it …

Think Pete Carroll was hands off with the USC defense? Think Chip Kelly was hands off with the Oregon offense? Think David Shaw is hands off with Stanford?

concerned
12-04-2017, 03:06 PM
lavell was always said to be hands-off, CEO type HC, so maybe it will work. But if it does, you are going rotate thru a lot of coordinators, because they are going to get the credit. And you are putting your fate in their hands, for better or worse.

NorthwestUteFan
12-05-2017, 12:08 AM
More PAC-12 dramms... Willie Taggart is leaving Eugene for Florida State.

Diehard Ute
12-05-2017, 12:11 AM
And word is there are shakeups coming at Colorado.

DrumNFeather
12-05-2017, 08:31 AM
More PAC-12 dramms... Willie Taggart is leaving Eugene for Florida State.

I saw something on the Twitter that he's trying to get Jim Levitt to come with him as well. Please yes.

NorthwestUteFan
12-05-2017, 08:41 AM
I saw something on the Twitter that he's trying to get Jim Levitt to come with him as well. Please yes.That would be great. I am sure Colorado wants him back, but let's get him out of the Conference.

sancho
12-05-2017, 08:57 AM
Rice to steal Stanford's Offensive ​coordinator. Not sure what they've been watching for the past 5 years. How does Stanford's OC get hired before their DC?

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-05-2017, 08:58 AM
Pac-12 losing another coach. And it isn't Taggart. Yet.

chrisrenrut
12-05-2017, 09:09 AM
Will this be a year of no changes to utah’s Coaching staff? Not sure we have anyone proven enough to be sought after, and I don’t think anyone underperformed enough to be let go. Could Harding get a coordinator offer somewhere?

Sullyute
12-05-2017, 09:18 AM
Will this be a year of no changes to utah’s Coaching staff? Not sure we have anyone proven enough to be sought after, and I don’t think anyone underperformed enough to be let go. Could Harding get a coordinator offer somewhere?

We get to add another coach this year, so that will be a change. But hopefully nobody leaves.

UTEopia
12-05-2017, 09:27 AM
Rice to steal Stanford's Offensive ​coordinator. Not sure what they've been watching for the past 5 years. How does Stanford's OC get hired before their DC?

Rice's academic standing is similar to Stanford. Maybe they think the answer to creating a winner at Rice is emulating what is done at Stanford. Not the worst reasoning for hiring a particular coach. While Stanford's offense is not flashy, it is consistent and gives some protection to the defense. If I am hiring a HC today, I am going with a guy who has a strong offensive as opposed to defensive background.

UTEopia
12-05-2017, 09:29 AM

I think Harding did a great job last year and probably did a very good job this year. It is my understanding that because he spent so many years with Christensen, his overall offensive knowledge is limited. He is a very good OL coach, but probably not ready to move up to OC. I know he was co-OC at Utah, but I don't think that is a feather in his cap.

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-05-2017, 09:38 AM
Colorado's co-OC and Arizona's offensive line coach both headed to the north division.

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-05-2017, 01:51 PM
Taggart officially headed home to FSU.

sancho
12-05-2017, 01:57 PM

Woo-hoo! Now, how does one start a Chip Kelly to Oregon rumor on the internets?

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-05-2017, 03:38 PM

And taking Jim Leavitt with him, as well.

sancho
12-05-2017, 04:49 PM
Some Oregon names.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/12/05/oregon-football-seven-names-and-one-lesson-for-the-coaching-vacancy/

I hope Oregon is not good, so I hope they hire someone other than Harsin. He's the best name on that list.

I think they should look at Fuentes at VaTech and Norvell and Memphis.

Edit: changed my mind, Campbell is the one I'm most afraid of.

NorthwestUteFan
12-06-2017, 12:12 AM
This is interesting. Mark Richt at Miami it's the longest longest-tenured FBS coach in Florida. He was hired just before the 2016 season.

concerned
12-07-2017, 12:23 PM
Mike riley going back to corvallis as asst. head coach.

Applejack
12-07-2017, 12:24 PM
Mike riley going back to corvallis as asst. head coach.

Damn it! He is the best OSU could have hoped for!

Scorcho
12-08-2017, 10:53 AM
Oregon promoting Cristobal?

http://www.utahby5.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2302&stc=1

sancho
12-08-2017, 11:00 AM
Oregon promoting Cristobal?

I hope so. He's less scary than most names on their list. The ole' promote from within. Oregon tried that last time around, and it failed.

Thing is, whoever gets the job is set up to succeed. Herbert is great, and the recruiting class is very good. It will take true failure to botch it. I hope Mario is up to the task.

Utah
12-08-2017, 11:07 AM
Oregon is a scary job if I’m a head coach. They are the BYU of the PAC-12. Unrealistic expectations.

Oregon should win 8+ games a year. Much like a Whitt led Utah (Utah without Whitt has potential to turn into WSU or OSU).

BUT, their fans think Oregon is much better than that. It’s not. Oregon has no recruits, which always hampers a program. It’s not fair to expect a coach to pull in a top 25 class every year when all your recruits come from out of state.

And, a lot of Oregon’s advantages, on tv, fancy uniforms, nice facilities, aren’t that much better than everyone else.

Then, you toss in Petersen, Leach, Shaw...the North is tough.

Oregon fans expect USC results, when Oregon the school is a notch down. Tough to be successful as a HC with those expectations.

Scorcho
12-12-2017, 02:27 PM
http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/12/12/utah-hires-urban-meyer-assessing-the-impact-on-the-15th-anniversary-plus-the-hotlines-ranking-of-greatest-coaching-hires/

Scorcho
12-15-2017, 11:49 AM
First, a language police moment for me: He said, "Credit Arizona State for trying a different tact." Doesn't he have an editor? https://brians.wsu.edu/2016/05/25/take-a-different-tact/ Next he''l be saying ASU should of handled this differently.

Second, I thought this was interesting:

In the last 10 days Herm Edwards has lost his DC and OC, so much for keeping the band together

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-20-2017, 08:31 AM
Because it would be hard to make the ASU off-season any better. Dave Christensen to join the staff. Awesome.

https://247sports.com/college/arizona-state/Article/Sources-Arizona-State-expected-to-hire-former-Wyoming-coach-Dave-Christensen-as-offensive-line-coach-112475586

concerned
12-20-2017, 08:31 AM
and if you thought ASU has screwed the pooch before . . . .

https://247sports.com/college/arizona-state/Article/Sources-Arizona-State-expected-to-hire-former-Wyoming-coach-Dave-Christensen-as-offensive-line-coach-112475586

Damn. Dwight beat me by seconds.

DrumNFeather
12-20-2017, 09:43 AM
Because it would be hard to make the ASU off-season any better. Dave Christensen to join the staff. Awesome.

and if you thought ASU has screwed the pooch before . . . .

Damn. Dwight beat me by seconds.

He was on the staff last year in some capacity. He was on the field talking to Harding and others in ASU gear this year when they came to SLC.

Diehard Ute
12-20-2017, 04:16 PM
He was on the staff last year in some capacity. He was on the field talking to Harding and others in ASU gear this year when they came to SLC.

He was a defensive consultant

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-20-2017, 08:16 PM

I doubt he had any interaction with players in that role. That’s where he seems to really “shine.”

Scorcho
12-30-2017, 05:10 PM
Jordan Raanan‏Verified account @JordanRaanan (https://twitter.com/JordanRaanan)FollowFollow
@JordanRaanan

More

Giants coaching job is coveted. Some names I've heard in recent days: Dave Toub (Chiefs), Kirk Ferentz (Iowa) and Kyle Whittingham (Utah).

8:36 AM - 30 Dec 2017

Utah
12-30-2017, 05:19 PM
I never want to see Whitt leave. But I’ve always been interested to see how he’d do at another program.

Utah has so many weird quirks here. I think Whitt would kill it in a more professional environment.

sancho
12-30-2017, 06:19 PM
Jordan Raanan‏Verified account @JordanRaanan (https://twitter.com/JordanRaanan)FollowFollow
@JordanRaanan

More

Giants coaching job is coveted. Some names I've heard in recent days: Dave Toub (Chiefs), Kirk Ferentz (Iowa) and Kyle Whittingham (Utah).

8:36 AM - 30 Dec 2017

Blech. Serious step down. A team in New Jersey with huge roster problems? Whoever takes that job should be warned that it is a 2-year position only.

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-31-2017, 08:54 PM

I’m not a member, but I imagine we hear an official announcement on Gary soon.

concerned
01-02-2018, 08:36 PM
And now rich rod. What an offseason

Diehard Ute
01-02-2018, 08:41 PM

Reports of a hostile work environment claim

concerned
01-02-2018, 08:50 PM
Somebody just tweeted: Herm Edwards is now the longest tenured coach in Arizona.

Maybe this is like the Y going independent. UA just had to act after ASU hired Edwards--they coulnt let their bitter rival make a crazy hire alone.

sancho
01-02-2018, 08:58 PM

Wow. Who's gonna be the new guy? I'd try to get Norvell from Memphis. He's already worked in Arizona, right?

sancho
01-02-2018, 09:08 PM

LA Ute
01-02-2018, 10:21 PM
Wow. Who's gonna be the new guy? I'd try to get Norvell from Memphis. He's already worked in Arizona, right?

I'll bet Dave Christensen is available.

NorthwestUteFan
01-02-2018, 10:50 PM
DC is the new OC at ASU.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-03-2018, 12:12 AM
DC is the new OC at ASU.

(O-line coach.)

NorthwestUteFan
01-03-2018, 02:54 AM
(O-line coach.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk(Run game coordinator).

Diehard Ute
01-03-2018, 04:27 AM
(Run game coordinator).

(Director of morale and happiness)

NorthwestUteFan
01-03-2018, 07:12 AM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkSowing mistrust and discord since 1992. I am so happy for the Sun Devils' predicament!

Ma'ake
01-03-2018, 07:28 AM
Just after the 2011 season, the PAC-12 turned over 33% of their HCs.

This year is even crazier, with the same teams turning over in our division.

PAC-South
School 2012 2018
ASU - Erickson > Graham > Edwards
UA - Mike Stoops > RichRod > ??
UCLA - Neuheisal > Mora > Kelley

PAC-North

Oregon - Taggart > Cristobal
OSU - Andersen > Jonathan Smith
Cal - Dykes > Wilcox (last year)

USC has had even more turnover over the past decade, and their fans have been grumbling about Clay Helton since Day 1.

2018 might be the best opportunity yet to make a run. If we can get Mitch and Matt to stay, with Gary playing a Dennis Erickson-like role, we might be positioned to poach some recruits from other PAC schools and make a serious run.

snafu
01-03-2018, 11:05 AM
2018 might be the best opportunity yet to make a run. If we can get Mitch and Matt to stay, with Gary playing a Dennis Erickson-like role, we might be positioned to poach some recruits from other PAC schools and make a serious run.

How dare you try to get me excited for next season! I won't stand for it. :p

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-03-2018, 11:07 AM

I was tempted to make a similar joke yesterday with Gary Andersen’s hiring to be in charge of media communications.

LA Ute
01-03-2018, 02:25 PM
DC is the new OC at ASU.

I know. Doesn’t mean he’s not available.

Utah
01-03-2018, 03:49 PM
Les Miles to Arizona? Rumors are flying. Wowza.

If he goes to Arizona and if Darnold stays, I’d rank the south for next year like this (at this point):

1 - USC
1 a and b - Utah and Arizona
4 - UCLA
6 - ASU and Colorado

NorthwestUteFan
01-03-2018, 10:03 PM
Texas A&M apparently went after LSU DC Dave Aranda (former coach at Utah, and DC at USU and Wisconsin with Gary Andersen).

LSU responded by giving Dave a $2.5M/yr, 4- year, guaranteed contract. He is now by far the highest paid coordinator in the nation. Way to go, Dave!

Wow. The sheer amount of money in CFB is incredible.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-09-2018, 01:52 PM

Sullyute
01-09-2018, 02:48 PM

Great for him, bad for us.

SoCalPat
01-09-2018, 02:52 PM
Texas A&M apparently went after LSU DC Dave Aranda (former coach at Utah, and DC at USU and Wisconsin with Gary Andersen).

LSU responded by giving Dave a $2.5M/yr, 4- year, guaranteed contract. He is now by far the highest paid coordinator in the nation. Way to go, Dave!

Wow. The sheer amount of money in CFB is incredible.

He's never coached at Utah. But his ties to GA and the state immediately make him a top-of-the-list candidate to replace Kyle if we needed to within the next 3-5 years.

Utah
01-09-2018, 07:00 PM
Harding would do really well in the NFL.

NorthwestUteFan
01-09-2018, 11:59 PM
Harding would do really well in the NFL.I like Harding a lot, and tend to agree.

And, coaching the O line to block for RPO plays is not really a good fit for his style.

Utah
01-10-2018, 07:33 AM
I like Harding a lot, and tend to agree.

And, coaching the O line to block for RPO plays is not really a good fit for his style.

Bingo. It would be nice for Taylor to have an OL coach that knows RPO.

UTEopia
01-10-2018, 10:33 AM
He's never coached at Utah. But his ties to GA and the state immediately make him a top-of-the-list candidate to replace Kyle if we needed to within the next 3-5 years.

He did coach at USU I believe.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-10-2018, 04:38 PM
Sounds like it’s time to bring in Empey!

UTEopia
01-10-2018, 05:19 PM
Sounds like it’s time to bring in Empey!

Empey was a bad hire by BYU and would be a worse hire at Utah.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-11-2018, 12:23 AM

I was just making a dumb joke to cap of my previous joke I made when he was fired that we should hire him just to spite his son.

In other coaching news...what the hell is this?!

Sullyute
01-11-2018, 07:41 AM
I assume that is Mike Sanford “Jr.” and not the old Utah OC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sancho
01-11-2018, 09:06 AM

Wasn't there another coach in Provo that people thought highly of though? The guy from SUU? Maybe we should poach that guy if Harding leaves.

DrumNFeather
01-11-2018, 09:22 AM
Wasn't there another coach in Provo that people thought highly of though? The guy from SUU? Maybe we should poach that guy if Harding leaves.

Are you thinking of Ed Lamb?

sancho
01-11-2018, 09:31 AM
Are you thinking of Ed Lamb?

Yeah, that guy. Is he still a rising star, or did Provo's season ruin him?

DrumNFeather
01-11-2018, 02:43 PM
Bengals went in another direction. Harding stays...for now.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-11-2018, 07:24 PM

Scorcho
01-11-2018, 08:13 PM
Bengals went in another direction. Harding stays...for now.

I wonder if his shouted, animated, "WELL HIRE ME" didn't go over well? :cool:

Utah
01-11-2018, 08:15 PM
I was just making a dumb joke to cap of my previous joke I made when he was fired that we should hire him just to spite his son.

In other coaching news...what the hell is this?!

Arizona has no money. I think they will be sorely disappointed with who they hire. They can’t afford anyone.

UTEopia
01-12-2018, 08:29 AM
Arizona has no money. I think they will be sorely disappointed with who they hire. They can’t afford anyone.

This is the son of the Mike Sanford who coached at Utah, right?

Scorcho
01-12-2018, 09:46 AM
Anthony Gimino‏ @AGWildcatReport (https://twitter.com/AGWildcatReport) 2h2 hours ago (https://twitter.com/AGWildcatReport/status/951832757658828802)More

Navy coach Ken Niumatalolo -- an emerging name in the Arizona coaching search, according to @FootballScoop (https://twitter.com/FootballScoop) -- was a QB at Hawaii in the 1980s, first under Dick Tomey. Niumatalolo in the foreward to Tomey's book, Rise of the Rainbow Warriors:

:blink:

sancho
01-12-2018, 09:47 AM
Anthony Gimino‏ @AGWildcatReport (https://twitter.com/AGWildcatReport) 2h2 hours ago (https://twitter.com/AGWildcatReport/status/951832757658828802)More

Navy coach Ken Niumatalolo -- an emerging name in the Arizona coaching search, according to @FootballScoop (https://twitter.com/FootballScoop) -- was a QB at Hawaii in the 1980s, first under Dick Tomey. Niumatalolo in the foreward to Tomey's book, Rise of the Rainbow Warriors:

Ugh, please no. I hated playing Air Force every year.

concerned
01-12-2018, 09:50 AM

I've seen several tweets from national writers saying this would give UA a poly pipeline. thoughts?

sancho
01-12-2018, 09:57 AM
I've seen several tweets from national writers saying this would give UA a poly pipeline. thoughts?

I don't see why not. I don't want this hire to happen. Bad for Utah all around.

Diehard Ute
01-12-2018, 10:04 AM
I don't see why not. I don't want this hire to happen. Bad for Utah all around.

I don’t know if it would be or not.

I think the jury is still out on Ken at a P5 school.

Honestly I think his going to BYU was a more dangerous thing for Utah.

sancho
01-12-2018, 10:08 AM
Honestly I think his going to BYU was a more dangerous thing for Utah.

I agree, but that doesn't mean I want him at Arizona.

We've seen what Paul Johnson has done at GT. Turned them into a competitive pain-in-the-butt that can upset anyone in any given week. I don't think Coach Ken wins division titles in Tuscon, but I think he grabs a couple of quality surprise wins each year. And I think the triple option in our division would be a permanent thorn in our side, like AFA used to be for us and currently is for Boise State.

Diehard Ute
01-12-2018, 10:12 AM
I agree, but that doesn't mean I want him at Arizona.

We've seen what Paul Johnson has done at GT. Turned them into a competitive pain-in-the-butt that can upset anyone in any given week. I don't think Coach Ken wins division titles in Tuscon, but I think he grabs a couple of quality surprise wins each year. And I think the triple option in our division would be a permanent thorn in our side, like AFA used to be for us and currently is for Boise State.

Well, the early reaction from Arizona fans is “oh hell no” so this could be interesting.