PDA

View Full Version : Off with their headsets! - Coaching hirings and firings

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Scorcho
01-12-2018, 10:38 AM
I agree, but that doesn't mean I want him at Arizona.

We've seen what Paul Johnson has done at GT. Turned them into a competitive pain-in-the-butt that can upset anyone in any given week. I don't think Coach Ken wins division titles in Tuscon, but I think he grabs a couple of quality surprise wins each year. And I think the triple option in our division would be a permanent thorn in our side, like AFA used to be for us and currently is for Boise State.

Ken N. suddenly seems like he has a little Majerusesque side to him. Likes to be wined and dined and flirted with by jobs with open vacancies. If I'm Navy, I would get weary of that.

sancho
01-12-2018, 10:44 AM
Ken N. suddenly seems like he has a little Majerusesque side to him. Likes to be wined and dined and flirted with by jobs with open vacancies. If I'm Navy, I would get weary of that.

I think the goal of almost every G5 coach is to move into the P5 ranks.

chrisrenrut
01-12-2018, 10:46 AM
I wonder if his shouted, animated, "WELL HIRE ME" didn't go over well? :cool:

:rofl::clap:

concerned
01-12-2018, 11:02 AM

Probably more weary after losing two in a row than they were when they had won 14 in a row.

Diehard Ute
01-12-2018, 04:58 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180112/763ad64a2f7824ce3e885611fbb6830f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sancho
01-12-2018, 05:18 PM

I love it. What a moron.

Diehard Ute
01-14-2018, 09:15 AM
Per Bruce Feldman, Ken Niumatololo has taken his name out of the running for Arizona and is staying at Navy

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-14-2018, 09:16 AM
Ken gives Tuscan the Provo treatment and tells Arizona thanks, but no thanks.

UTEopia
01-14-2018, 09:20 AM
Ken gives Tuscan the Provo treatment and tells Arizona thanks, but no thanks.

I wonder if Arizona gave Ken the BYU treatment by telling him, hey, we want you, but we don't want your offense and you need to hire the Arizona equivalent of Ty Detmer, Reno Mahe, Empey and whoever their terrible WR coach was.

Utah
01-14-2018, 12:36 PM
That's good. Arizona is what they are, and I'm not sure they will do better than Rich Rod-type coach...a gimmicky offense that gets you 5-7 wins most years, with a 10+ win season every so often.

Ken N fits that bill perfectly. Good to see him move on.

NorthwestUteFan
01-14-2018, 12:39 PM
I feel bad for my Wildcat fan friends. Their hoops team is about to get hammered in the FBI investigation, and the football team is getting rejected by every available coach. They are on the precipice of a bad place.

concerned
01-14-2018, 12:49 PM
Sporting News‏Verified account @sportingnews (https://twitter.com/sportingnews) 2m2 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/sportingnews/status/952627924494151680)More

Sources say Arizona will soon hire former Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin. http://bit.ly/2DcwqUo (https://t.co/tv9XjosSt7)

Dwight Schr-Ute
07-24-2018, 10:38 AM
Good, better Sumlin than Niumatololo. Not that Sumlin doesn't worry me, too, though.

Apparently Arizona is run by idiots and Tate's tweet carried more weight than it should have. It seems insane to make a hire based on the opinion of a player that will only be there for another season.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/7/24/17607060/khalil-tate-tweet-arizona-coach-search-ken-niumatalolo

snafu
07-24-2018, 03:58 PM
Gonna be fun to watch Tate regress this season.

Based on what? Just curious why you say that because I would love to see that happen.

mUUser
11-21-2018, 10:41 AM
Les Miles to Kansas. Won't get any better for the Jayhawks. Ever.

Sullyute
11-21-2018, 01:01 PM
Les Miles to Kansas. Won't get any better for the Jayhawks. Ever.

Great hire for them.

Applejack
11-21-2018, 02:39 PM
Gonna be fun to watch Tate regress this season.

Swish¡!!!!!!

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-27-2018, 02:11 PM
USC may have decided to keep Helton around (ie can't afford to fire him), but they've just about gotten rid of everyone else today. DC is out. OC is out. QB coach, DL coach and DB coach are all out.

concerned
11-27-2018, 02:18 PM
USC may have decided to keep Helton around (ie can't afford to fire him), but they've just about gotten rid of everyone else today. DC is out. OC is out. QB coach, DL coach and DB coach are all out.

B/c none of these guys have $15 mil buyouts. No way Helton is around after next year, you have to think. somebody posted that Tee Martin was supposed to have an in-home with Sampson Nacua's little brother on Thursday.

And who would sign on there as an asst under these circumstances?

mUUser
11-28-2018, 12:38 PM
Paul Johnson at Georgia Tech set to retire. My now 17 y/o son's 4th grade football coach played for Johnson. He ran the same offense, and implemented about 110 plays into the offense. His son was the QB, and mine was a wingback. So fun, and unstoppable. Because of this, to this day, I'll stop down to watch a Georgia Tech game. Love watching Tech run the option.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/paul-johnson-to-retire-after-11-seasons-at-georgia-tech/ar-BBQdk0K?ocid=spartanntp

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-30-2018, 10:39 PM
This seems like it could be a solid hire.

NorthwestUteFan
11-30-2018, 11:38 PM
Wow. That could be a great hire for the Buffaloes. UGA had an impressive Defense.

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-04-2018, 10:09 AM
Kliff Kingsbury official to be USC’s new OC.

UBlender
12-04-2018, 02:07 PM
Everybody has probably already seen this, but I haven't seen it mentioned yet:

Urban Meyer retiring from coaching again. What are the odds he ends up as Notre Dame's head coach within five years?

UTEopia
12-04-2018, 02:40 PM
Everybody has probably already seen this, but I haven't seen it mentioned yet:

Urban Meyer retiring from coaching again. What are the odds he ends up as Notre Dame's head coach within five years?

hire
win
scandal
health problems
retire
hire
win
scandal
health problems
retire

Coastal Ute
12-05-2018, 05:03 PM
It looks like Gary Andersen to Utah State could be a real possibility.

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-09-2018, 04:39 PM
It looks like Gary Andersen to Utah State could be a real possibility.

Aggies make it official this afternoon. Rumors also circling that he takes Ena with him. Any thought on who our two replacements will be?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181209/31c4d6bf57e90f738b78bbe31fc16a9a.jpg

Sullyute
12-09-2018, 07:11 PM
I would love to bring back someone with Florida recruiting ties. Any former Urban coaching tree members that need a job and can recruit?

NorthwestUteFan
12-09-2018, 07:40 PM
We need big-time recruiters. Probably more than we need position coaches.

Diehard Ute
12-10-2018, 03:52 PM
Sione Po’uha returning as D-Line coach

https://utahutes.com/news/2018/12/10/ute-football-hires-sione-po-uha.aspx

Applejack
12-11-2018, 09:59 AM
Sounds good to me!

EHS 4eva!

Scorcho
12-13-2018, 03:55 PM
damnit, we're losing Justin Ena to Logan

https://twitter.com/FootballScoop/status/1073342026165436419

just when I thought Utah had this linebacker thing figured out

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-13-2018, 04:00 PM

Just like Sione. We reach out and tap one of our LB alumni with NFL experience and is coaching somewhere else.

Scorcho
12-13-2018, 04:06 PM
Just like Sione. We reach out and tap one of our LB alumni with NFL experience and is coaching somewhere else.

"former Utah linebacker with NFL experience"

https://www.utahby5.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2467&stc=1

concerned
12-13-2018, 04:10 PM

rumor going around that AROD will be the OC.

chrisrenrut
12-13-2018, 04:42 PM
"former Utah linebacker with NFL experience"

https://www.utahby5.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2467&stc=1

Trevor Reilly? Nate Orchard? Neither have coaching experience, and may not be ready to give up on their NFL prospects. Both are listed as linebackers on their Wikipedia pages.

concerned
12-13-2018, 04:51 PM
Trevor Reilly? Nate Orchard? Neither have coaching experience, and may not be ready to give up on their NFL prospects. Both are listed as linebackers on their Wikipedia pages.

Sly?

Scorcho
12-14-2018, 08:57 AM
soooo, we might need a new OC

Sources indicated there are four candidates Sac State strongly considered to replace Jody Sears, and all have strong local ties, either as Sacramento natives or as Sacramento State graduates. Those strong candidates, per sources, are Utah offensive coordinator Troy Taylor, Nevada assistant head coach/offensive line coach Angus McClure, American River College head coach Jon Osterhout and former Colorado co-offensive coordinator/offensive line coach Klayton Adams

http://footballscoop.com/news/update-sacramento-state-head-coaching-search/

NorthwestUteFan
12-14-2018, 09:06 AM
Damn. The Kliff Kingsbury hire as OC is looking pretty amazing right now.

I wonder if there is a chance we could convince Mike McCoy to come home to Utah at OC?

UTEopia
12-14-2018, 09:07 AM
soooo, we might need a new OC

Sources indicated there are four candidates Sac State strongly considered to replace Jody Sears, and all have strong local ties, either as Sacramento natives or as Sacramento State graduates. Those strong candidates, per sources, are Utah offensive coordinator Troy Taylor, Nevada assistant head coach/offensive line coach Angus McClure, American River College head coach Jon Osterhout and former Colorado co-offensive coordinator/offensive line coach Klayton Adams

http://footballscoop.com/news/update-sacramento-state-head-coaching-search/

That would be unfortunate.

NorthwestUteFan
12-14-2018, 09:59 AM
Sac State HC would be a substantial pay cut, while being in a more expensive location. But TT has taken lower-paying jobs before to enhance his career (he basically took a 50% drop in pay to leave his job at high school to be the OC at EWU).

concerned
12-14-2018, 10:34 AM
That was to get into the college game. I think that's different. He's in now. Presumably, his goal is HC at a DI or P5. I think the path to that goal is much longer and far less likely through Sac State than through Utah.

He may see it very differently, of course.

Somebody just tweeted that FCS head coaching jobs are a stepping stone to a P-5 coordinator position, not the other way around. That's why coaches take them. But who knows.

SoCalPat
12-14-2018, 11:04 AM
Somebody just tweeted that FCS head coaching jobs are a stepping stone to a P-5 coordinator position, not the other way around. That's why coaches take them. But who knows.

We scored 3 points in our last game. Let's leave open the idea that maybe Troy isn't a hot commodity, and that the success we saw on offense this year wasn't all about him.

SoCalPat
12-14-2018, 03:07 PM
Yeah, I don't think anyone is doing jumping jacks over Taylor. It won't be the end of the world if he leaves for Sac State. But it would be another turn through the carousel, which we really could do without.

Still, this season was statistically our best offensive season in a long time, right?

Nope. Last year's was noticeably better, both in scoring and total offense. 52nd in both last year, 68th and 69th this year.

Irving Washington
12-15-2018, 08:18 AM
Nope. Last year's was noticeably better, both in scoring and total offense. 52nd in both last year, 68th and 69th this year.
How did we rank before the Arizona State game, when Huntley went down?

concerned
12-15-2018, 08:24 AM

And Moss immediately thereafter

SoCalPat
12-15-2018, 05:28 PM

We lost our starting QB for stretches in both seasons, and had two stinker games of offense when Huntley came back last year. There are enough bad breaks in both years where we can't cherry-pick points in the season.

concerned
12-15-2018, 06:11 PM
We lost our starting QB for stretches in both seasons, and had two stinker games of offense when Huntley came back last year. There are enough bad breaks in both years where we can't cherry-pick points in the season.

TT's big mistake last year was bringing back huntley at least 2 games too early, esp. UO. Should have stuck with Troy Williams after USC. Big error in judgment, imho

Scratch
12-17-2018, 09:35 AM
Reports now starting to flow that Taylor accepted the Sac State job.

concerned
12-17-2018, 09:43 AM
Looks like I'm wrong again. I guess no one should be surprised at this point. I think the easier path to DI head coach is as a P5 coordinator. By far. Either he doesn't see it that way, he doesn't get along with Kyle, he doesn't believe in this program, or he really wants to live in Sacramento.

the timing two days before LOI day could not be worse

SoCalPat
12-17-2018, 10:00 AM
Looks like I'm wrong again. I guess no one should be surprised at this point. I think the easier path to DI head coach is as a P5 coordinator. By far. Either he doesn't see it that way, he doesn't get along with Kyle, he doesn't believe in this program, or he really wants to live in Sacramento.

Those that are surprised at this have forgotten who our HC is, that Troy is not part of Kyle's inner circle and that our offense wasn't very good in long stretches this year, especially against the top teams in the league, against whom we averaged about 11 PPG. There was no improvement from Tyler, and the first half of the BYU game was atrocious. I'm kinda lost where people are getting the idea that Troy's job wasn't in jeopardy, and that he wasn't getting encouragement to look elsewhere.

concerned
12-17-2018, 10:21 AM
Onlyu's take. Interesting the TT can put up big numbers in the Big Sky but not here:

While I’m surprised based on the money you guys pointed out last week I’m not at all surprised he took a head job. He has a tough time being told what to do and if you ever had the chance to listen to him on the headset during a game it would be better than watching the game itself. One exchange this year had Holliday respond with…”I’m not your son Troy, don’t tell me what to do.”TT randomly asked Lisk a few weeks back if he “had a Big Sky connection would you be interested in putting up some big numbers in that league.” Drew thought it was weird until he and Snoop were laughing about it last week when they heard he was thinking about the job.I heard a coach say “let’s hope so” semi-joking about the news last week. While it hurts offensive continuity we have a lot of experience coming back that will help with any transition. Not optimal of course but I’d rather change when you have a couple of QB’s that have experience vs. throwing a new kid in. We’ll be fine.

LA Ute
12-17-2018, 10:40 AM
I've given up hoping for anything about the offense. Kyleball will continue no matter what and I will just watch and cheer. :snack:

mpfunk
12-17-2018, 10:45 AM
I'd assume that Harding ends up getting promoted or do with look outside the program? I'd honestly be fine with that at this point. It isn't like Troy Taylor has been that impressive. He was supposed to be a QB guru and it isn't like our QBs have improved.

SoCalPat
12-17-2018, 11:00 AM
I'd assume that Harding ends up getting promoted or do with look outside the program? I'd honestly be fine with that at this point. It isn't like Troy Taylor has been that impressive. He was supposed to be a QB guru and it isn't like our QBs have improved.

You gotta make a call to Brian Johnson first, Mike McCoy second. It's coaching malpractice on Kyle's part if you don't.

mpfunk
12-17-2018, 11:09 AM
You gotta make a call to Brian Johnson first, Mike McCoy second. It's coaching malpractice on Kyle's part if you don't.

Sure you make those calls, but I think we know that answer will be no on both.

SoCalPat
12-17-2018, 11:19 AM
Sure you make those calls, but I think we know that answer will be no on both.

Would we really get a no from Brian? It would be a fast track to him stepping in for Kyle when he retires in the next 5-7 years.

As for Mike, he's in desperate need of a soft landing spot. Who's gonna hire him in the NFL right now? If he's ever gonna coach CFB, now's the time to strike.

LA Ute
12-17-2018, 11:46 AM
As for Mike, he's in desperate need of a soft landing spot. Who's gonna hire him in the NFL right now? If he's ever gonna coach CFB, now's the time to strike.

I don't think there's anything in Kyle's history suggesting that he'd hire a former NFL head coach to run his offense.

SoCalPat
12-17-2018, 12:11 PM
I don't think there's anything in Kyle's history suggesting that he'd hire a former NFL head coach to run his offense.

You mean like Dennis Erickson?

concerned
12-17-2018, 12:26 PM
I iwll bet Harding gets promoted. There is a lot of scuttlebutt that the offense improved when Harding stepped in Harding stepped in after Norther Illinois and the offense became more run-game oriented.

LA Ute
12-17-2018, 12:44 PM
You mean like Dennis Erickson?

Touche. I do see that as a different situation, since Erickson really made his name as a college coach. Also, from what I've heard I'm not sure how happy that relationship was.

LA Ute
12-17-2018, 12:45 PM
I iwll bet Harding gets promoted. There is a lot of scuttlebutt that the offense improved when Harding stepped in Harding stepped in after Norther Illinois and the offense became more run-game oriented.

That's my guess too. Harding is part of the "family" now.

SoCalPat
12-17-2018, 02:02 PM
Touche. I do see that as a different situation, since Erickson really made his name as a college coach. Also, from what I've heard I'm not sure how happy that relationship was.

I've heard this about Chow and Christensen. This is the first I've heard it with Erickson. But, as you and I like to say, what's the common denominator in all of this? Maybe Kyle is just a real asshole to work for.

Diehard Ute
12-17-2018, 02:10 PM
I've heard this about Chow and Christensen. This is the first I've heard it with Erickson. But, as you and I like to say, what's the common denominator in all of this? Maybe Kyle is just a real asshole to work for.

If that were the case I doubt Erickson would have stuck around as long as he did.

I’ve always heard Erickson just didn’t want to be the OC, that was never his desire.

concerned
12-17-2018, 02:24 PM
Maybe Kyle is just a real asshole to work for.

Then why has Scalley stuck around? All the defensive coaches? Why did Anderson come back? Why does Kalani love him?

Scorcho
12-17-2018, 03:20 PM
I think if you want Harding to stick around, you need to promote him. He's paid his dues, and is a decent recruiter and you don't need to change the offense. Then bring in a QB coach who's a solid recruiter.

LA Ute
12-17-2018, 03:49 PM
The OCs at Utah in the Pac-12:

Chow 2011
Johnson 2012
Johnson/Erickson 2013
Christensen 2014
ARod/Harding 2015-16
Troy Taylor 2017-18

I'm not sure what you mean by "family". I feel like you mean it negatively. On this list, only Johnson went to Utah. Johnson, ARod, and Harding were internal promotions. The other four were outsiders.

I really am at peace with Kyle as HC. (Even if I were not, it is OK to criticize a coach.) I am just doing some informed speculation based on what we have seen. What I meant is that Kyle likes to hire assistants with whom he has a personal connection. Nothing wrong with that; when I want to hire lawyers I am drawn to candidates I already know. Hiring mistakes are costly in multiple ways. I think all of the coaches you list fall into that personal connection category, some more proximately than others. I'd be surprised if Kyle hired someone like McCoy, unless he already knows him well (like Chow, A-Rod, Johnson, Erickson) or someone close to Kyle knows him well (like Christensen, Taylor). Kyle is by nature very cautious and conservative. That's a two-edged sword -- it's part of why he has been successful and also part of what sometimes holds him back, in the view of some fans.

UTEopia
12-17-2018, 05:03 PM
The questions Kyle needs to answer about the OC hire are:

Are we staying with a spread/RPO passing game with a QB who can run mixed with a power run game or are we going to change to a pro-style offense? I assume the answer is the former, but I really don't know. I hope we stay with the current system because part of our offensive problems can be attributed to changing styles.

Does Harding have a grasp of the current passing game (other than pass protection) that would allow him to be successful as OC? If not, does Holiday and could they be successful as Co-OC's (I hate the idea)?

Can we hire someone with more experience to come in and be the OC. I would look at Yost, Mike Sanford Jr. and Brian Johnson. I am sure there are others out there who fit the bill. Brian was not very successful his first stint as OC at Utah, but I think that was a combo of his inexperience and a general lack of offensive talent. I did not follow what he did as OC at Houston, but I don't believe he was fired.

mUUser
12-17-2018, 05:54 PM
Ty Freaking Detmer!

SoCalPat
12-17-2018, 06:03 PM
Then why has Scalley stuck around? All the defensive coaches? Why did Anderson come back? Why does Kalani love him?

Clearly, I forgot to put in a qualifier that should be obvious to everyone. Maybe Kyle is just a real asshole to work for if you're a coach on the offensive side of the ball.

concerned
12-17-2018, 06:26 PM
Clearly, I forgot to put in a qualifier that should be obvious to everyone. Maybe Kyle is just a real asshole to work for if you're a coach on the offensive side of the ball.

No speculation there. You are just blowing it out of somewhere.

LA Ute
12-18-2018, 04:57 AM
Scott Mitchell is tanned, rested and ready!

What’s Jim Fassel up to these days, anyway?

LA Ute
12-18-2018, 07:51 AM
Harding named interim offensive coordinator. I guess this means Taylor is not going to be involved with the bowl game. I think elevating Harding permanently could make a lot of sense, and I hope it works out.

concerned
12-18-2018, 07:58 AM
Harding named interim offensive coordinator. I guess this means Taylor is not going to be involved with the bowl game. I think elevating Harding permanently could make a lot of sense, and I hope it works out.

here is a stat:

Jim Harding started as Utah's OL coach in 2014. In his 5 years as OL coach, Utah has allowed the 2nd most tackles for loss in the NCAA. They have allowed the 9th most sacks in the NCAA. And they have only had one season where Utah was in the top 50 in yards per carry (2016).

and another
Utah’s last 7 offensive coordinators all went undefeated against BYU. Norm Chow Brian Johnson Dave Christensen Dennis Erickson Aaron Roderick Jim Harding Troy Taylor

UTEopia
12-18-2018, 09:09 AM

In an interview after practice yesterday, Kyle said it had not yet been determined and would depend on how much time Taylor could commit to Utah between now and the bowl game.

LA Ute
12-18-2018, 09:51 AM
here is a stat:

Jim Harding started as Utah's OL coach in 2014. In his 5 years as OL coach, Utah has allowed the 2nd most tackles for loss in the NCAA. They have allowed the 9th most sacks in the NCAA. And they have only had one season where Utah was in the top 50 in yards per carry (2016).

Well then. Maybe continuity isn’t the most important element in the hiring decision.

DrumNFeather
12-18-2018, 10:34 AM
This feels like the first real opportunity Harlan might have to have some influence on this program from an on-field perspective. Obviously, he trusts Kyle, but I do wonder how involved he'll be in helping Kyle narrow the list of names. Maybe he won't be at all, but he's got to have some contacts that Kyle doesn't on the east coast. For example, Sterlin Gilbert was Charlie Strong's OC at South Florida this year for an offense that averaged better than the Utes in passing and rushing per game.

Scorcho
12-18-2018, 02:29 PM
Taylor got 7-8 years guaranteed at Sac State

He also confirmed he will coach Holiday Bowl

NorthwestUteFan
12-19-2018, 08:06 AM
Taylor also said that Whitt asked him to stay and to not take the job at Sac State. That blows a lot of theories out of the water.

Scratch
12-19-2018, 08:18 AM
Taylor also said that Whitt asked him to stay and to not take the job at Sac State. That blows a lot of theories out of the water.

Do you think Taylor is going to say Whit wanted him gone? I'm not saying that either was the case, just that I don't see that statement as particularly compelling evidence.

concerned
12-19-2018, 09:07 AM
Do you think Taylor is going to say Whit wanted him gone? I'm not saying that either was the case, just that I don't see that statement as particularly compelling evidence.

He didnt have to say anything. I dont think he would have said it if there was a chance Whit would contradict it. He went out on a limb to some extent.

NorthwestUteFan
12-19-2018, 01:08 PM
Yeah, I think logic is still the strongest evidence against this conspiracy theory.The fact that TT is coaching in the bowl game, and not already out recruiting for Sacto State, is further proof. In fact, he might be damaging Sac State by NOT recruiting.

LA Ute
12-20-2018, 11:45 AM
From Kragthorpe's newsletter today:

Utah football coach Kyle Whittingham’s latest search for an offensive coordinator already has lasted longer than the process that landed Troy Taylor two years ago. Whittingham named Taylor soon after firing Aaron Roderick (http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=2047676&msgid=233716&act=5OV6&c=1417275&destination=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.sltrib.com%2Fsports% 2Futah-utes%2F2018%2F12%2F17%2Freport-utah-offensive%2F%3Futm_source%3DiContact%26utm_medium% 3Demail%26utm_campaign%3Dred-all-over%26utm_content%3DRed%2BAll%2BOver%2B12%252F20% 252F18), following the Utes' win over Indiana in the 2016 Foster Farms Bowl. Taylor will complete his Utah stay in the Dec. 31 Holiday Bowl vs.Northwestern (http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=2047676&msgid=233716&act=5OV6&c=1417275&destination=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.sltrib.com%2Fsports% 2Futah-utes%2F2018%2F12%2F02%2Futes-are-holiday-bowl%2F%3Futm_source%3DiContact%26utm_medium%3Dema il%26utm_campaign%3Dred-all-over%26utm_content%3DRed%2BAll%2BOver%2B12%252F20% 252F18), having received a seven-year, guaranteed contract to become Sacramento State’s head coach. The deal is “unusual at any level of football,” Taylor told ESPN 700, citing the school’s “major commitment to me.”

Before studying Whittingham's hiring pattern, I'll define the terms: “Play-caller” is the best job title, because he often has used co-coordinators.
Of the eight play-callers since Andy Ludwig’s four-year tenure ended in the 2009 Sugar Bowl, four have been in-house promotions: Dave Schramm, Roderick, Brian Johnson and Roderick again. Two were veteran coaches: Norm Chow and Dennis Erickson. Dave Christensen is in his own category, as an old friend. And then there’s Taylor, who had ties to Ute assistant coach Freddie Whittingham during his time at Folsom High School near Sacramento, and improved his credentials in one year at Eastern Washington.

So history shows there’s a 50-50 chance of Kyle Whittingham’s promoting offensive line coach Jim Harding (http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=2047676&msgid=233716&act=5OV6&c=1417275&destination=http%3A%2F%2Farchive.sltrib.com%2Farti cle.php%3Fid%3D2963332%26itype%3DCMSID).If that happened, Utah would add a quarterbacks coach.

And based on the same history there's a 100% chance the new OC will be someone with whom KW has a personal connection. Nothing wrong with that, it just narrows down the list of possible candidates. We'll see if I am right.

LA Ute
12-20-2018, 04:35 PM
I think that's a pretty safe bet.

I wonder what percentage of coordinator hires in college football are people with no personal connection to the coaching staff. It must be a very small number.

I am inclined to hire people that I either know, or who are well known by someone I do know.

SoCalPat
12-21-2018, 09:25 AM
I am inclined to hire people that I either know, or who are well known by someone I do know.

I've come to the realization that whoever carries the title of OC is largely irrelevant. Kyle Whittingham is Utah's OC in spirit and influence.

UTEopia
12-21-2018, 10:29 AM
I've come to the realization that whoever carries the title of OC is largely irrelevant. Kyle Whittingham is Utah's OC in spirit and influence.

Kyle was as clear as I have ever heard him after the first Washington game when he said that he wants an offense that has a physical run game and a mobile QB with big play capability. The offense certainly improved when TT got the message that we needed to run more.

concerned
12-21-2018, 10:59 AM
Kyle was as clear as I have ever heard him after the first Washington game when he said that he wants an offense that has a physical run game and a mobile QB with big play capability. The offense certainly improved when TT got the message that we needed to run more.

Yep. It also improved last year, after Huntley got injured and Troy Williams handed the ball off to Moss a lot more, and didn't keep it himself.

LA Ute
12-22-2018, 09:21 AM
Taylor expressed excitement at returning to his home area to coach. It was a strange move in some ways. Outgoing Sacramento State coach Jody Sears earned a reported $175,000. Taylor’s salary was $525,000 at Utah, with an $87,500 bonus, according to USA Today.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900047022/brad-rock-utah-utes-need-an-offensive-coordinator-that-can-live-in-kyle-whittinghams-world.html

Applejack
12-22-2018, 10:16 AM
https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900047022/brad-rock-utah-utes-need-an-offensive-coordinator-that-can-live-in-kyle-whittinghams-world.html

Yeah, the strange thing in all of this is the money. Maybe he really wanted to be in Sacramento? :dunno:

Diehard Ute
12-22-2018, 11:13 AM
Yeah, the strange thing in all of this is the money. Maybe he really wanted to be in Sacramento? :dunno:

I think a 7 year guaranteed contract is just as strange.

Scorcho
01-13-2019, 12:01 PM
I guess this was inevitable ...

As Freddie Kitchens keeps putting together his staff, the #Browns (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Browns?src=hash) interviewed Utah OL coach Jim Harding, source said. Considered one of the best at the college level.

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1084465552339468289

NorthwestUteFan
01-13-2019, 12:15 PM
I want one year of Ludwig's power run game and spread passing with Harding's O Line coaching prowess. Is that too much to ask?

UTEopia
01-13-2019, 12:55 PM
I want one year of Ludwig's power run game and spread passing with Harding's O Line coaching prowess. Is that too much to ask?

Charlie Dickie, former Ute OL coach, was not retained in the latest coaching change at K State. He left Utah the same year as Lud and has been at K State ever since. He is a very good coach.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-13-2019, 06:49 PM

Ask and ye shall receive.

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-10-2019, 06:45 PM
Seems like an over reaction for poor coaching but I guess when it comes to Southern cuisine, when in Rome...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191111/c657cdaafd929ac611542efaacf3da52.jpg

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-04-2019, 04:15 PM
Clay Helton's retention is official.

Sullyute
12-05-2019, 10:22 AM
I am happy with his retention.

chrisrenrut
12-06-2019, 09:13 AM
Tangential to Utah, Troy Taylor has Sacramento State in the FCS playoffs for the first time in over 30 years.

https://www.sacbee.com/sports/high-school/joe-davidson/article237815814.html

concerned
12-10-2019, 09:35 AM
Beau Baldwin, Troy Taylor's former boss at Eastern Washington and currently Cal's oc, set to return to FCS as head coach at Cal Poly. Apparently being shut out by Utah did not go over well, among other things. The Eastern Washington/FCS offensive guru experiment is officially over.

mUUser
02-12-2020, 12:50 PM
Mel Tucker to Michigan State -- at twice the salary. I guess money CAN buy everything.....

https://www.mlive.com/sports/2020/02/michigan-state-officially-announces-colorados-mel-tucker-as-new-football-coach.html

Drew Pearson isn't impressed.....

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2020/02/12/cowboys-drew-pearson-mel-tucker-con-man-taking-spartans-job/4738248002/

Sullyute
02-12-2020, 01:54 PM
Double the money for going 5-7 in one season? Good for Mel Tucker.

UTEopia
02-12-2020, 10:20 PM
Dave Schramm has moved from OC at Weber to RB coach at USU. Probably doubled his money. His replacement at Weber is Matt Hammer. He is a very good offensive coach.

Sullyute
06-05-2020, 06:21 PM
Dang, looks like we may have just lost our head coach in waiting.

Dwight Schr-Ute
06-05-2020, 10:56 PM
Dang, looks like we may have just lost our head coach in waiting.

It sure does. I just hope this only costs us one coach, at this point.

Dwight Schr-Ute
07-01-2020, 12:26 PM
Morgan Scalley to stay on staff with penalties.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200701/49cd1af2228d5900ebdc352d8321ab69.jpg