PDA

View Full Version : Off with their headsets! - Coaching hirings and firings

Pages : [1] 2 3

Sullyute
12-02-2013, 01:45 PM
So it looks like Sark at Washington will be heading to USC. Also Wyoming fired their head coach, maybe they can bring back Joe Glen - "powder river let'r buck!"

mpfunk
12-02-2013, 03:48 PM
This Sark hiring could make the coaching carousel in the Pac-12 very interesting. Back when Jim Mora Jr was the head coach of the Falcons he said on a radio interview that his dream job was coaching the University of Washington and that he would leave Atlanta, even in the middle of a playoff run, if offered the job.

Mora has done a fantastic job with UCLA. Washington is stupid if they don't at least give Mora a call.

With Orgeron quitting so quickly, it isn't a stretch to think their is some bad blood with USC. Any Pac-12 school would be smart to snatch him up as an assistant to coach to help him enact some revenge on USC.

sancho
12-02-2013, 04:02 PM
With Orgeron quitting so quickly, it isn't a stretch to think their is some bad blood with USC. Any Pac-12 school would be smart to snatch him up as an assistant to coach to help him enact some revenge on USC.

I think Orgeron wants to be a head coach. Some small school will give him a shot. He just quit at USC and will not coach them in their bowl game. I don't think that's the kind of guy you want on your team. He seems to run mostly on emotion.

I'd be surprised if Mora goes to UW. I think they should promote DC Justin Wilcox.

I think Sark will be good at USC. He seemed to be a better candidate than other names I was hearing - Franklin, Orgeron, Del Rio.

Scratch
12-02-2013, 04:19 PM
I think Sark will be good at USC. He seemed to be a better candidate than other names I was hearing - Franklin, Orgeron, Del Rio.

Sorry, but I have no idea how you could say Sark would be better than Franklin. Franklin has done more with much less at Vandy than Sark at UW.

sancho
12-02-2013, 04:29 PM
Sorry, but I have no idea how you could say Sark would be better than Franklin. Franklin has done more with much less at Vandy than Sark at UW.

I don't know. Franklin has not finished above 4th in the SEC east. He's 11-13 in conference games. He is 12-0 in OOC games against typical pathetic SEC OOC schedules. His best OOC win is either Wake or NCState. His best win while at Vandy is this year's Georgia team. Sark has similar records in recent years against much tougher competition. Consider the familiarity with SoCal and USC a tiebreaker between the two.

I'm not saying Sark is Saban, but given the underwhelming list of available coaches this year, UW did alright.

chrisrenrut
12-02-2013, 08:21 PM
Sark to USC confuses me. I can see why Sark would want it, but I don't see why USC wants him. It seems like an underwhelming hire to me. Is there something on his resume that I'm not seeing?

Given the amount of talent that is attracted to the USC name, he'll probably do pretty well. But I don't see him taking them back to elite status. Especially with the rising programs in the south division (sadly, I'm talking about UCLA and the AZ schools).

sancho
12-02-2013, 08:36 PM
Sark to USC confuses me. I can see why Sark would want it, but I don't see why USC wants him. It seems like an underwhelming hire to me. Is there something on his resume that I'm not seeing?

Given the amount of talent that is attracted to the USC name, he'll probably do pretty well. But I don't see him taking them back to elite status. Especially with the rising programs in the south division (sadly, I'm talking about UCLA and the AZ schools).

Well, who would you want if you were a USC fan? Doesn't seem like any real candidates were slam dunks.

chrisrenrut
12-02-2013, 08:59 PM
Well, who would you want if you were a USC fan? Doesn't seem like any real candidates were slam dunks.

Guess it is bad timing for USC, he was the best option available at the time. But from everything I have read (in the last 5 minutes of perusing the web), most USC fans are also underwhelmed.

Homer Crimson
12-03-2013, 01:12 AM

It seems like Sark may be a placeholder coach until the full impact of the sanctions is over- a few years of recruiting with a restored allotment of schollies. I will be interested to see how many years he gets in his contract.

SoCalPat
12-03-2013, 08:26 AM

Washington was coming off an 0-12 season when it hired Sark.

SoCalPat
12-03-2013, 08:27 AM
I think Orgeron wants to be a head coach. Some small school will give him a shot. He just quit at USC and will not coach them in their bowl game. I don't think that's the kind of guy you want on your team. He seems to run mostly on emotion.

I'd be surprised if Mora goes to UW. I think they should promote DC Justin Wilcox.

I would not be surprised at all to see Orgeron end up at Wyoming.

Scratch
12-03-2013, 10:11 AM
Washington was coming off an 0-12 season when it hired Sark.

And Vandy was coming off back-to-back 2-10 seasons. And Vandy was Vandy. I don't see any way to argue that Franklin stepped into a situation where it would be easier to win.

sancho
12-03-2013, 10:19 AM
And Vandy was coming off back-to-back 2-10 seasons. And Vandy was Vandy. I don't see any way to argue that Franklin stepped into a situation where it would be easier to win.

They both took teams in a bad spot and raised them to the middle of tough conferences. I think either one would be fine. But Sark has USC/SoCal ties.

Scratch
12-03-2013, 10:42 AM
They both took teams in a bad spot and raised them to the middle of tough conferences. I think either one would be fine. But Sark has USC/SoCal ties.

Except the team Sark did it with is arguably the #2 team in the P12 in terms of history and "potential" (and if they're not #2 they're close to #2), while Franklin did it with either the traditionally worst or close to the worst SEC team (only Mississippi State has a worse all-time record, and it's very close).

sancho
12-03-2013, 10:55 AM
Except the team Sark did it with is arguably the #2 team in the P12 in terms of history and "potential" (and if they're not #2 they're close to #2), while Franklin did it with either the traditionally worst or close to the worst SEC team (only Mississippi State has a worse all-time record, and it's very close).

But this aint your grandpa's Pac-12 and SEC. UW has won a lot, but for decades the Pac-10 was really just the Pac-2. With a 14 team conference, the SEC is easier to win in now than any time in recent history.

Again, take a look at schedules and records. Franklin has finished no higher than 4th in his division. He has not recorded a win over anything close to a top 25 team. His best win in 3 years is against this year's struggling UGa team.

Both coaches have been bringing in good recruiting classes, but Sark's outrank Franklin's, and Sark does not get the inflated star rankings of SEC country.

I do think Franklin will be somewhere else in a few years (UCLA if Mora leaves), but if he isn't, he will continue to finish 4-7 in his division for the foreseeable future.

sancho
12-04-2013, 12:41 PM
Some coaching stuff:

Mora stays at UCLA. Hundley likely to stay now too.

Nussmeier apparently the frontrunner at UW over Peterson and Wilcox.

Matt Wells of USU is considering the Wake Forest job. Good move to cash in on USU's success. Who knows if they'll ever compete for a division title again?

DrumNFeather
12-04-2013, 12:49 PM
Some coaching stuff:

Matt Wells of USU is considering the Wake Forest job. Good move to cash in on USU's success. Who knows if they'll ever compete for a division title again?

I wonder if that would then send Sitake to USU.

Applejack
12-04-2013, 12:57 PM
Some coaching stuff:

Wake seems like a dead end job. But, since their last coach lasted 13 years before resigning, maybe its a long-term dead end job.

Rocker Ute
12-04-2013, 01:22 PM
Some coaching stuff:

I continue to wonder why people consider Chris Peterson as a legit option. Sure as an AD you float the question to him, but do we really think he passes on some of the offers he's had to end up in Washington?

Boise St must have some incriminating pictures of him.

sancho
12-04-2013, 03:10 PM
Wake seems like a dead end job. But, since their last coach lasted 13 years before resigning, maybe its a long-term dead end job.

A long-term, dead end job for more money in a beautiful location where the pulled pork is second to none vs Logan? Not a tough call, and I like Logan.

Yeah Sitake would be the next man up to try to use USU as a springboard to something bigger.

I continue to wonder why people consider Chris Peterson as a legit option. Sure as an AD you float the question to him, but do we really think he passes on some of the offers he's had to end up in Washington?

Situations change. The last time someone really made an effort to get Peterson, he was on top of the BCS busting world, one FG away from winning the national championship.

Sullyute
12-04-2013, 03:25 PM
Yeah Sitake would be the next man up to try to use USU as a springboard to something bigger.

That has to be absolutely frustrating for a program and fan base. Which is why I assume AD's love hiring alumni as coaches, hoping that they are more willing to stick around. I love having USU as a competive team in the state. I hope that Wells sticks around but understand that sometimes the money is just too good.

sancho
12-04-2013, 03:29 PM
I love having USU as a competive team in the state. I hope that Wells sticks around but understand that sometimes the money is just too good.

I hear this a lot, but I don't really share the sentiment. I always liked rooting for USU when they stunk. I like them to be bad, and I hope they are bad again soon.

Not just the money - Wake is a better job in a lot of ways to USU. It is also a tougher job. It's either the 1st or 2nd smallest school in the FBS, right? (Tulsa being the other?)

SoCalPat
12-04-2013, 03:38 PM

Wake has had four coaches since 1981, despite going 158-221-2 in that time. By comparison, Utah has had six coaches and has gone 229-149-2.

That said, Wake can lay claim to arguably the second-most famous real-life Hollywood football icon ever.

Rocker Ute
12-04-2013, 03:55 PM
Situations change. The last time someone really made an effort to get Peterson, he was on top of the BCS busting world, one FG away from winning the national championship.

Yeah but pass on USC for Washington? USC may have a slightly more fickle fanbase but Washington fans are expecting championships too. Other than high expectations (which most successful people don't really shy away from) I would think USC would be the better job all around.

Interestingly I had heard murmuring that while Sark had gotten them from being bottom dwellers he was soon to be on the hot seat.

Point being, I think and Peterson has indicated a number of times now that he is going to stay in his kingdom in Boise St where he'll remain royalty the rest of his days... or until he has to fake a heart attack and leave town overnight where he then becomes an ESPN analyst, the USC football coach for a day, an ESPN analyst who espouses that he isn't a 'Big Gay Guy', and eventually the football coach for the St Louis Billikens.

SoCalPat
12-04-2013, 04:01 PM
Yeah but pass on USC for Washington? USC may have a slightly more fickle fanbase but Washington fans are expecting championships too. Other than high expectations (which most successful people don't really shy away from) I would think USC would be the better job all around.

Interestingly I had heard murmuring that while Sark had gotten them from being bottom dwellers he was soon to be on the hot seat.

Point being, I think and Peterson has indicated a number of times now that he is going to stay in his kingdom in Boise St where he'll remain royalty the rest of his days... or until he has to fake a heart attack and leave town overnight where he then becomes an ESPN analyst, the USC football coach for a day, an ESPN analyst who espouses that he isn't a 'Big Gay Guy', and eventually the football coach for the St Louis Billikens.

Last Saturday marked one year since Big Rick's death. I feel like a lesser fan for not remembering this until you brought Rick's crowning moment in broadcasting.

concerned
12-04-2013, 04:54 PM

I don't think Peterson passed on USC; he didn't get the offer and was allowed to withdraw his name. I bet he would have taken it, and I bet he would have taken the Oregon job if offered when Kelly left. I bet he would take the UW job, but its play money.

Rocker Ute
12-04-2013, 05:08 PM
Last Saturday marked one year since Big Rick's death. I feel like a lesser fan for not remembering this until you brought Rick's crowning moment in broadcasting.

I had thought it was close to this time, mostly because it preceded the Boise St game last year (and was I think the boost that got us past them convincingly). I love Big Rick jokes, but I've got to say I miss him prowling the sidelines. Over the summer I was chatting with someone whose spouse worked for Rick. He had nothing but glowing things to say about him, including Rick being the first person to the hospital when his wife was ill to Rick getting him his current job when he had lost his by putting his neck out on the line for him and basically demanding that the employer hire him.

He was a flawed person, like us all I guess, but he certainly took good care of the people he cared about.

This conversation lead to some funny/disturbing Giac stories, but that is for another time.

sancho
12-05-2013, 04:37 PM
Chris Petersen interviews with UW tomorrow, according to pretty much everyone on Twitter. This would be interesting. I really like Petersen and want him to be successful if/when he makes a change. On the other hand, I have no love for UW.

Edit: Man, realignment really screwed up college football. I'm glad we got into a good conference before the ship went down, but overall, we have a worse product after all the money grabbing.

DrumNFeather
12-06-2013, 07:39 AM
Sounds like Peterson to UW is a done deal.

LA Ute
12-06-2013, 07:42 AM
I understand Peterson is from the Northwest, so maybe that's why he's so interested in the UW job.

DrumNFeather
12-06-2013, 07:55 AM
I understand Peterson is from the Northwest, so maybe that's why he's so interested in the UW job.

I think you also have to wonder if he has taken Boise as far as they can go without being in a BCS conference.

concerned
12-06-2013, 08:02 AM
I don't think Peterson passed on USC; he didn't get the offer and was allowed to withdraw his name. I bet he would have taken it, and I bet he would have taken the Oregon job if offered when Kelly left. I bet he would take the UW job, but its play money.

Pats himself on the back, and collects his play money.

sancho
12-06-2013, 08:12 AM
I think you also have to wonder if he has taken Boise as far as they can go without being in a BCS conference.

Like I said, realignment has not improved college football. I think Petersen was a Boise lifer in the old system, and I love that that type of coach could exist and be successful. It's what we hoped we had in Kyle when we were in the MWC. But Petersen recognizes that under the new rules with new money those days are gone. It's really a shame.

I hope he is successful at UW, and I hope Boise manages to find someone who will get them back to BCS games. Of all schools, none were more wronged by realignment.

Scratch
12-06-2013, 08:48 AM
Well that whole carousel worked out pretty well for Washington.

concerned
12-06-2013, 09:01 AM

And they get to collect $1.5 million from USC, more if USC has to pay the assistants buyout. Sark and Peterson are going to be compared for a long time, like D Will and CP coming into the league at the same time, or Alex and Aaron Rodgers. Pat Haden's legacy will rest on whether he hired the right guy.

Rocker Ute
12-06-2013, 09:41 AM
I'm here to eat crow. I was certain given the jobs that Peterson had turned down that he was a Boise St lifer. Truth be told, I'm still puzzled by this in context of that, but there you go.

For the first time in my life I was wrong. There was another time when I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken.

My mortal enemy Scratch will never let me live this down.

Rocker Ute
12-06-2013, 09:43 AM
Pats himself on the back, and collects his play money.

I now view you as the alpha male and will look to you for direction before each post I make. ;)

You were absolutely correct and I was wrong. This is going to change the whole fight dynamic between me and my wife.

LA Ute
12-06-2013, 09:48 AM

I was wrong. He was raised in SoCal but spent his adult life, pre-Boise, in the Northwest.

concerned
12-06-2013, 09:52 AM
I now view you as the alpha male and will look to you for direction before each post I make. ;)

You were absolutely correct and I was wrong. This is going to change the whole fight dynamic between me and my wife.

First time for everything. I will now have to quit while I am ahead, or not as far behind as I was.

Devildog
12-06-2013, 09:57 AM

Looking at it from this moment in time it does.

Ask Colorado how they felt when they first hired Dan Hawkins... and then again, a few years later.

I'm not saying Petersen is Hawkins, just that there are very few absolute guarantees.

justaute
12-06-2013, 10:07 AM
I really like Peterson. He's kicked our a$$, he's won on big stages -- and he appeared to have done it all with class, on and off the field.

Scorcho
12-06-2013, 10:14 AM
I think Utah dodged a bullet, I'd much rather have Chris Petersen in the North than the South.

Sullyute
12-06-2013, 11:24 AM
I think Utah dodged a bullet, I'd much rather have Chris Petersen in the North than the South.

It is funny, but there are some really good coaches in the Pac12, so I don't know if it matters much which division he is in.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

sancho
12-06-2013, 12:21 PM
And they get to collect $1.5 million from USC, more if USC has to pay the assistants buyout. Sark and Peterson are going to be compared for a long time, like D Will and CP coming into the league at the same time, or Alex and Aaron Rodgers. Pat Haden's legacy will rest on whether he hired the right guy.

I wouldn't mind a few UW/USC championship games down the road, on the occasional off-year that doesn't have us in there, that is.

LA Ute
12-06-2013, 12:26 PM
I will be mildly curious to see how Peterson assembles his staff. I really don't like Kyle's inbred approach, and I am wondering if Peterson's will be similar.

sancho
12-06-2013, 12:29 PM
I will be mildly curious to see how Peterson assembles his staff. I really don't like Kyle's inbred approach, and I am wondering if Peterson's will be similar.

I think he should grab whichever of Kyle's friends we don't already have. Then we can see which head coach is better at evaluating the coaching prospects of Kyle's friends.

But really, Kyle's friend Christiensen is not a bad choice for OC.

concerned
12-06-2013, 12:31 PM
I think he should grab whichever of Kyle's friends we don't already have. Then we can see which head coach is better at evaluating the coaching prospects of Kyle's friends.

But really, Kyle's friend Christiensen is not a bad choice for OC.

according to the Pac 12 blog, there is going to be a fight over Wilcox. Both USC and Wash want him, and his buyout may price him out of USC. He could also be a candidate to replace Peterson at BSU. Does Sark then tap Sitake?

sancho
12-06-2013, 12:33 PM
according to the Pac 12 blog, there is going to be a fight over Wilcox. Both USC and Wash want him, and his buyout may price him out of USC. He could also be a candidate to replace Peterson at BSU. Does Sark then tap Sitake?

Why would Sark not keep Pendergast? He's the one thing that worked well in LA this year.

sancho
12-06-2013, 12:37 PM
So, in 4 years, at least one of these coaches will be have been fired: Shaw, Herlich, Petersen, Leach, Riley, Dykes. My guess is that Dykes and Riley are gone, plus one more who I can't decide on.

UBlender
12-06-2013, 02:07 PM
So, in 4 years, at least one of these coaches will be have been fired: Shaw, Herlich, Petersen, Leach, Riley, Dykes. My guess is that Dykes and Riley are gone, plus one more who I can't decide on.

Dykes for sure. I don't think we know if Helfrich can coach yet and expectations there are astronomical right now, so he could have tough sledding if he has some mere 8-9 win seasons. It will be interesting to see how well Petersen does in a BCS conference compared to past BSU coaches who made the jump. I see a lot of similarities between Riley at OSU and Whitt at Utah. He's their guy and they've stuck with him through some rough patches and it has worked out so far--it will be interesting to see how long that lasts if WSU overtakes OSU in the North division pecking order (which I think is a distinct possibility) and assuming UO, UW and Stanford hold their position. It will be fun to watch.

SoCalPat
12-06-2013, 03:02 PM
I was wrong. He was raised in SoCal but spent his adult life, pre-Boise, in the Northwest.

Negatory. Pete is from Yuba City, which is most decidedly NoCal and arguably part of the PNW.

SoCalPat
12-06-2013, 03:03 PM

You're forgetting Kyle, unless you're taking the optimist point of view he can win 7-8 games at least once in the next two years.

SoCalPat
12-06-2013, 03:08 PM

He'll take 1-2 from Boise, keep some from UW. Wilcox, as mentioned, is a significant domino that could affect several schools.

sancho
12-06-2013, 03:13 PM
You're forgetting Kyle, unless you're taking the optimist point of view he can win 7-8 games at least once in the next two years.

Oh, I was just looking at the North. They are all good coaches, but they can't all be successful in a zero-sum game.

In the South, the seat is hottest for Kyle right now.

LA Ute
12-06-2013, 03:15 PM
Negatory. Pete is from Yuba City, which is most decidedly NoCal and arguably part of the PNW.

My sole source is Dan Patrick, who said Peterson grew up in SoCal. Happy to concede the point to you. It's true, for someone from that area Southern California would be a pretty foreign place.

U-Ute
12-06-2013, 07:26 PM

Tosh Lupoi. From what I understand, this guy is an incredible recruiter.

This report says that Wilcox and Lupoi are proving difficult to extract out of UW.

http://larrybrownsports.com/college-football/justin-wilcox-tosh-lupoi-buyouts-usc/212929

sancho
12-07-2013, 08:11 PM
Wyoming hires the guy from North Dakota. Good move. If he's successful, he can replace Dykes in 2 years.

cald22well
12-07-2013, 10:22 PM
With the success that Fresno State has had the last two seasons, does Schramm get looks from bigger programs, or does he have to prove it without Carr first?

sancho
12-10-2013, 08:36 AM
Wake hires Bowling Green coach Dave Clawson.

Not sure there will be an opening for Matt Wells this year. He'll have to hope the Aggies are good again next season to find his ticket out of Logan.

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-11-2013, 09:48 PM
Lya reporting via Twitter that Weber State has hired Jay Hill to be their next head coach. How big of an impact does this have on the Utah program?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Brian
12-11-2013, 10:13 PM
Lya reporting via Twitter that Weber State has hired Jay Hill to be their next head coach. How big of an impact does this have on the Utah program?

I hear he is a very good recruiter.

Applejack
12-12-2013, 08:14 AM

He's been our best recruiter for the best couple of years. Almost all of our solid recruits this cycle are "Hill" recruits, so we had better lock those guys in. I'm not worried about Jackson Barton, but I am worried about Kenyon Frison. He's getting looks from top Pac-12 schools. We need to keep him or this class looks really bad,

sancho
12-12-2013, 08:29 AM
He's been our best recruiter for the best couple of years. Almost all of our solid recruits this cycle are "Hill" recruits, so we had better lock those guys in. I'm not worried about Jackson Barton, but I am worried about Kenyon Frison. He's getting looks from top Pac-12 schools. We need to keep him or this class looks really bad,

Plus, our special teams have been very good. Our kick returns are what kept us in games last year. Our punts kept us in many this year. Phillips has been great (just wish he could get it in the end zone on kickoffs).

We gave up some big returns to the guys who get big returns against everyone - DAT and Monty.

UTEopia
12-12-2013, 08:49 AM
Jay will do a great job at Weber if he is given the resources to be successful and is not required to play more than 1 money game a year. The key to winning at Weber is to do a great job recruiting the State of Utah and then add some skill players from other places. You should really be able to get most of your QB's, linemen, linebackers, TE's and safeties from Utah and then look elsewhere for CB's, RB's and WR's. Jay certainly knows Utah and Nevada recruiting and will do well. I would look for him to hire some current Utah GA's and maybe a couple of former GA's as well. Weber does not have a very large budget, so I wouldn't expect any other employed coaches to join him.

U-Ute
12-12-2013, 08:54 AM

The biggest impact would probably be felt on special teams. From the comments Whittingham has made in the past, a lot of the creative fakes/onsides kicks have been based on the research Hill did on the opposition to find tendencies and weaknesses.

The only other impact would be he is the primary recruiter on Bingham's Shultz. But, given the fact he is local and he is also being recruited by Notre Dame and Stanford, it is hard to gauge the impact this makes.

sancho
12-12-2013, 08:58 AM
The only other impact would be he is the primary recruiter on Bingham's Shultz. But, given the fact he is local and he is also being recruited by Notre Dame and Stanford, it is hard to gauge the impact this makes.

Does anyone believe that Shultz is not going to Stanford?

Diehard Ute
12-12-2013, 09:01 AM
Jay will do a great job at Weber if he is given the resources to be successful and is not required to play more than 1 money game a year. The key to winning at Weber is to do a great job recruiting the State of Utah and then add some skill players from other places. You should really be able to get most of your QB's, linemen, linebackers, TE's and safeties from Utah and then look elsewhere for CB's, RB's and WR's. Jay certainly knows Utah and Nevada recruiting and will do well. I would look for him to hire some current Utah GA's and maybe a couple of former GA's as well. Weber does not have a very large budget, so I wouldn't expect any other employed coaches to join him.

To this end, unless Weber found an infusion of cash, Hill is taking a pay cut.

Sears made about $75,000 less than Hill last year. Sears salary was comparable to Utah's most junior assistant.

wally
12-12-2013, 09:41 AM
To this end, unless Weber found an infusion of cash, Hill is taking a pay cut.

Sears made about $75,000 less than Hill last year. Sears salary was comparable to Utah's most junior assistant.

Assuming he took a cut, maybe this change was a "recommendation" by Kyle to Jay. If so, I gotta say that Kyle is pretty kind to his assistants.

Applejack
12-12-2013, 09:44 AM

No.

sancho
12-12-2013, 09:53 AM
Assuming he took a cut, maybe this change was a "recommendation" by Kyle to Jay. If so, I gotta say that Kyle is pretty kind to his assistants.

Why would Whittingham want to get rid of Hill? He's one of our best recruiters and has done a good job with the special teams.

wally
12-12-2013, 10:00 AM
Why would Whittingham want to get rid of Hill? He's one of our best recruiters and has done a good job with the special teams.

??? I am just speculating as to reasons why Hill would leave for less pay, besides the shot a a head job.

Hot Lunch
12-12-2013, 03:27 PM
Is Dan Finn and BJ still on staff? Maybe Jay can take them with him to Weber. :)

UTEopia
12-12-2013, 05:23 PM
Hill was not asked to leave. Finn and BJ are still on the staff. Finn could find a lot of jobs. I doubt BJ could find many.

U-Ute
12-12-2013, 06:04 PM

He would be crazy not to.

U-Ute
12-12-2013, 06:06 PM
??? I am just speculating as to reasons why Hill would leave for less pay, besides the shot a a head job.

I believe that is the primary reason.

DrumNFeather
12-12-2013, 06:44 PM

If David Shaw gets an NFL job, then I could see him not going there.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

sancho
12-12-2013, 06:44 PM
He would be crazy not to.

No. There may be some reasons to go there over Utah, but Utah offers plenty that the Cardinals can't match. Keeping his soul, for example.

scottie
12-12-2013, 07:25 PM
I can't imagine it happens very often that someone gets their first college coaching gig (FBS or otherwise) without ever having been a coordinator. Nice job, Jay.

Sullyute
12-12-2013, 07:31 PM
I can't imagine it happens very often that someone gets their first college coaching gig (FBS or otherwise) without ever having been a coordinator. Nice job, Jay.

No it does not. Either way the Kyle Whittingham coaching tree expands a little bit more.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

SoCalPat
12-12-2013, 07:44 PM

Exactly. Can you imagine Kyle's replacement having the kind of resume Hill does? We'd revolt.

Re: the pay. I'm embarrassed sometimes for some of my media brethren. Steve Luhm at the Trib surmised on Twitter that Hill was in for a nice bump in pay from his $225K at Utah. Mike Kramer at ISU, who had won big at Montana State (but who did carry some baggage), can max out at ISU for just $216K. Ron McBride's initial deal at Weber gave him a base of around $120K, and I can guarantee you his incentives and media deal did not get him significantly over $200K, if at all. Like Diehard said, Hill is taking a sizable paycut, but he's doing so because he wants to be this generation's Mike Price -- a guy who started out at Weber and later led Wazzu to two Rose Bowls.

Applejack
12-15-2013, 05:13 PM
Mack brown out at Texas. That will open a whole new coach poach avalanche.

SoCalPat
12-16-2013, 04:08 PM
Mack brown out at Texas. That will open a whole new coach poach avalanche.

Keep it in-state, pay no attention to his record the last two years and go get Gary Patterson at TCU.

sancho
12-16-2013, 04:26 PM
Keep it in-state, pay no attention to his record the last two years and go get Gary Patterson at TCU.

Makes sense, but I wouldn't argue against Gus Malzahn either.

concerned
12-16-2013, 04:57 PM
Jim Mora to Texas twitter rumors heating up.

SoCalPat
12-16-2013, 07:14 PM
Makes sense, but I wouldn't argue against Gus Malzahn either.

His wife is a strange duck. She can pass for high society in a backwater like Auburn, not so sure about Austin. That stuff matters there, but she's managed to keep her mouth shut the last year or two.

Hot Lunch
12-16-2013, 07:45 PM
Hill was not asked to leave. Finn and BJ are still on the staff. Finn could find a lot of jobs. I doubt BJ could find many.

Ha. I still don't understand your love for Finn. He wouldn't be able to find many jobs at all. Both he seasons at Utah consisted of awful o line play. His only other experience is at Sdsu for 1 year. I am sure that wouldn't result in many schools banging down his door.

concerned
12-17-2013, 10:56 AM
Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN (https://twitter.com/McMurphyESPN)25m (https://twitter.com/McMurphyESPN/status/412998304310382592)
Texas coach odds: Strong 2/1, Briles 9/2, Franklin 5/1, Gundy 7/1, O'Brien 15/2; Kelly, Shaw, Mora 10/1 via @BovadaLV (https://twitter.com/BovadaLV)

Irving Washington
12-17-2013, 02:44 PM
Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN (https://twitter.com/McMurphyESPN)25m (https://twitter.com/McMurphyESPN/status/412998304310382592)
Texas coach odds: Strong 2/1, Briles 9/2, Franklin 5/1, Gundy 7/1, O'Brien 15/2; Kelly, Shaw, Mora 10/1 via @BovadaLV (https://twitter.com/BovadaLV)

Okay, who are Strong, Briles, Franklin and O'Brien? Gundy? You've got to be kidding.

concerned
12-17-2013, 03:26 PM
Okay, who are Strong, Briles, Franklin and O'Brien? Gundy? You've got to be kidding.

Louisville, Baylor, Vanderbilt, Penn State, Oklahoma State

U-Ute
12-17-2013, 03:57 PM
Louisville, Baylor, Vanderbilt, Penn State, Oklahoma State

Is that Charlie Strong? The guy that coached at Miami?

SoCalPat
12-18-2013, 10:19 PM
I don't think Charlie Strong ever coached at Miami. My first memory of him was he was DC at Florida when Urban took over, and Urban kept him, much like he did with Kyle at Utah.

U-Ute
12-19-2013, 09:33 AM
I don't think Charlie Strong ever coached at Miami. My first memory of him was he was DC at Florida when Urban took over, and Urban kept him, much like he did with Kyle at Utah.

I had to look it up. I was thinking of Florida. He took over for the bowl game the year Zook was fired.

I'm not sure why that minor piece of minutiae is sticking in my brain.

sancho
12-20-2013, 11:20 AM
Twitter says Utah has hired Dave Christiansen as a new solo OC. DE and BJ to stay in different roles.

Like having him. Hate having a new OC again.

concerned
12-20-2013, 11:25 AM
Twitter says Utah has hired Dave Christiansen as a new solo OC. DE and BJ to stay in different roles.

At least KW went outside his small circle of intimates to hire someone with Pac 12 experience, especially recruiting ties. (TIC)

Applejack
12-20-2013, 11:27 AM

I guess we won't be playing Air Force (and their "F'ing Howdy Doody" coach) any time soon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NTPPoltKXo

Sullyute
12-20-2013, 11:40 AM

Why are we hiring a new OC?! Was this expected? Does this mean that Dennis didn't like being up in the booth, and who will be calling the plays next year? What about BJ and Roderick with their coordinator titles?

Applejack
12-20-2013, 11:43 AM
Why are we hiring a new OC?! Was this expected? Does this mean that Dennis didn't like being up in the booth, and who will be calling the plays next year? What about BJ and Roderick with their coordinator titles?

Apparently BJ is now the QB coach and Dennis is the RB coach. I presume Roderick is just the WR coach, now.

sancho
12-20-2013, 11:44 AM

No one saw this coming.

Christenen - OC

DE - RBs

BJ - QBs

ARod - WRs

This is 7 OCs in the last 7 years - Christensen, DE, Johnson, ARod, Schramm, Chow, Ludwig.

We'd have been better off keeping Ludwig the whole time. Then the Chow thing, which looked so good, blew up on us and created a mess we are still trying to fix.

Applejack
12-20-2013, 11:47 AM
And I was hoping for coaching stability this offseason. Ugh.

mpfunk
12-20-2013, 11:53 AM
What in the fuck is Kyle Whittingham doing?

Hot Lunch
12-20-2013, 11:54 AM
Do some of you still think Kyle is the right person for the job?

mpfunk
12-20-2013, 11:58 AM
I don't think that we can fire Whittingham now, but I'm now convinced that the timetable has been moved up to next year for him to prove himself as a Pac-12 coach. His handling of his assistant coaching staff has been inexcusable. 7 offensive coordinators in 7 years. There was absolutely no reason to not retain Dennis Erickson as the OC, none whatsoever.

U-Ute
12-20-2013, 12:00 PM
I like this. I think this will bring long term stability.

Does anyone think DE would be here more than a year or two more? Would BJ be ready by then? Too much uncertainty there.

Christensen is a fantastic hire, and I believe this means Kyle has finally committed to the spread offense.

mpfunk
12-20-2013, 12:01 PM
I like this. I think this will bring long term stability.

Does anyone think DE would be here more than a year or two more? Would BJ be ready by then? Too much uncertainty there.

Christensen is a fantastic hire, and I believe this means Kyle has finally committed to the spread offense.

I have no reason to believe that Christensen will be at Utah more than 1 year. Whittingham's track record with his assistants speaks for itself.

U-Ute
12-20-2013, 12:07 PM
I have no reason to believe that Christensen will be at Utah more than 1 year. Whittingham's track record with his assistants speaks for itself.

I'm not sure that Chow, BJ, and DE are fair judgements. None of those feel permanent.

The guys that have left since the move to the PAC12 (Anderson, Hill, Chow) moved on to be head coaches. Hard to judge based on that as well. I suppose Christensen could leave for a HC gig, but he'd have to have some success at Utah before that happens.

Scratch
12-20-2013, 12:12 PM
Wow, I can't believe this is getting opposition. Hire someone without a great track record as a coach and Whit is screwing up by hiring someone who isn't experienced enough. Hire someone with a fantastic track record as an OC and it's a mistake because they probably won't be here long. What do we want here?

All along the concern with DE has been that he probably won't be here long; well, we just got someone with a better track record as an OC who is young enough to provide some stability and who is probably a ways away from another HC gig (not good enough for Wyoming, at least in Wyoming's eyes) doesn't exactly line someone up for a lot of great job offers.

I can also only assume that DE was fine with this, given the positives that I've been hearing. My assumption is that he'll still have a big role but he can focus more on other things. Great hire by Whit.

sancho
12-20-2013, 12:16 PM
Wow, I can't believe this is getting opposition. Hire someone without a great track record as a coach and Whit is screwing up by hiring someone who isn't experienced enough. Hire someone with a fantastic track record as an OC and it's a mistake because they probably won't be here long. What do we want here?

All along the concern with DE has been that he probably won't be here long; well, we just got someone with a better track record as an OC who is young enough to provide some stability and who is probably a ways away from another HC gig (not good enough for Wyoming, at least in Wyoming's eyes) doesn't exactly line someone up for a lot of great job offers.

I can also only assume that DE was fine with this, given the positives that I've been hearing. My assumption is that he'll still have a big role but he can focus more on other things. Great hire by Whit.

I don't think anyone questions Christensen's ability. I'm happy to have him. It's just that 7 OCs in 7 OCs is the reason we can't score. If we had any one of those 7 for 3-4 years, our offense would be fine. They are all capable - it just takes time. Now it feels like we have to do the whole "adjusting to a new offense" all over again.

Hot Lunch
12-20-2013, 12:19 PM

Stop drinking the Kool-Aid. The fact that Utah is on its 7th OC since 2008 is a joke. There is no other way of saying that. Dave Christensen has a great track record. Kyle does not when it comes to making the right hires for the program.

USS Utah
12-20-2013, 12:20 PM
I'm guessing that Whit asked DE if BJ would be ready next year or the year after to be the OC and the answer was no.

sancho
12-20-2013, 12:23 PM
Stop drinking the Kool-Aid. The fact that Utah is on its 7th OC since 2008 is a joke. There is no other way of saying that. Dave Christensen has a great track record. Kyle does not when it comes to making the right hires for the program.

But you have to put down the haterade then too. This could be great for us. If we could go back to last year and pick between DE and Christensen for OC, we would have picked Christensen. Now we have both on staff. I'm just bummed that it sets us back in learning a new offense yet again.

Kyle has made some good hiring decisions. Some have worked out (Anderson, Sitake), some have not (Chow), and the jury's out on many others (Shaw, BJ, DE, Christensen).

sancho
12-20-2013, 12:24 PM
I'm guessing that Whit asked DE if BJ would be ready next year or the year after to be the OC and the answer was no.

Lya tweeted that DE was surprised by this move and is not commenting. That is something to worry about. I like this a lot more if it's a situation of DE wanted to get back to a position group one last time before retiring.

Hot Lunch
12-20-2013, 12:26 PM
But you have to put down the haterade then too. This could be great for us. If we could go back to last year and pick between DE and Christensen for OC, we would have picked Christensen. Now we have both on staff. I'm just bummed that it sets us back in learning a new offense yet again.

Kyle has made some good hiring decisions. Some have worked out (Anderson, Sitake), some have not (Chow), and the jury's out on many others (Shaw, BJ, DE, Christensen).

I will put it down when someone gives me a good reason to do so. Since all I am seeing right now is a program that is desperate and has no idea where it is going and how it is going to get there, I will continue to be concerned.

As as for hires, Anderson was Mcbrides guy. So take was hired because of Gary. I can't give Kyle credit on that one.

sancho
12-20-2013, 12:29 PM
As as for hires, Anderson was Mcbrides guy. So take was hired because of Gary. I can't give Kyle credit on that one.

He picked his staff. If you won't give him credit for his good moves, he will only ever make bad decisions in your eyes.

LA Ute
12-20-2013, 12:30 PM
Do some of you still think Kyle is the right person for the job?

I honestly do not know what to think.

Applejack
12-20-2013, 12:31 PM
I am concerned about this hire, not because I know the first thing about Wyoming football, but because we can't seem to get anyone to stick around for two years as an OC. If Ericksen was blindsided by this, that is a really, really bad sign.

I wonder if this signals that Travis Wilson isn't coming back next year. If we are starting over at QB, might as well move on to a new OC.

DrumNFeather
12-20-2013, 12:31 PM
Did anyone think DE or BJ would be the long term solution at OC?

Hot Lunch
12-20-2013, 12:34 PM
He picked his staff. If you won't give him credit for his good moves, he will only ever make bad decisions in your eyes.

Those guys were brought here by others not named Whitt. Until he proves me otherwise then yes, I will continue to see it that way.

It it is amazing the amount of credibility the Sugar Bowl won has given Whit.

mpfunk

Jury is not still out on Shaw and BJ. BJ is a terrible QB coach and was a terrible offensive coordinator. He was a bad hire for both positions. Shaw is a terrible coach and terrible hire.

DrumNFeather
Also, a little desperation never hurt anyone. What would've been more disturbing would be doing nothing on the staff.

crazyute
12-20-2013, 12:35 PM
unfortunately whittingham has not given a reason to believe otherwise.

mpfunk
12-20-2013, 12:36 PM
Did anyone think DE or BJ would be the long term solution at OC?

BJ was presented to everyone as the long term solution. Whittingham told us how he interviewed so many people and that it became clear that the best candidate for the job was already in his program. Talked about him being a superstar in the coaching ranks. He was sold to us as the savior and our long term OC. Obviously, Dennis Erickson was not considered a long term option.

sancho
12-20-2013, 12:36 PM
It it is amazing the amour of credibility the Sugar Bowl won has given Whit.

Yeah, well, success tends to do that. Seriously? He finished #2 in the nation and won COY. That should give anyone some credibility.

The worst thing he's done was hire Norm Chow. That hire has set us back 5+ years offensively. And it seemed like a good hire to pretty much everyone.

mpfunk
12-20-2013, 12:39 PM
Also, a little desperation never hurt anyone. What would've been more disturbing would be doing nothing on the staff.

I agree that things needed to be done with the staff, however, the right moves are not being made.

There was only one right move for Whittingham to do with the offensive staff. Go to Dennis Erickson, admit that he doesn't know what the fuck he is going on the offensive side of the ball (with schemes, players, and coaching hires) and tell Erickson that he had full control over schemes, players, and coaching hires on the offensive side of the ball. Let the coach with years of experience and success in offensive fix the problem and Whittingham could focus on the administrative side of being a head coach and on figuring out how to fix a defense that has been getting consistently worse.

I'm with Hot Lunch, it is clear that Whittingham is not the guy. I wanted him to be the guy, but it just isn't happening.

Sullyute
12-20-2013, 12:39 PM
Lya tweeted that DE was surprised by this move and is not commenting. That is something to worry about. I like this a lot more if it's a situation of DE wanted to get back to a position group one last time before retiring.

:TrainWreck1: I hope that isn't true as Kyle would have just burned a bunch of bridges and good will with his staff. I realize the buck stops with Kyle, but that seems like something you discuss with your current OC(s) if you plan on demoting him/them.

sancho
12-20-2013, 12:41 PM
Jury is not still out on Shaw and BJ. BJ is a terrible QB coach and was a terrible offensive coordinator. He was a bad hire for both positions. Shaw is a terrible coach and terrible hire.

You pull the trigger too quickly. Shaw has been here for only one year, and his position group did pretty well. BJ has not been dealt anything close to a full deck. He has had QB injury issues all over the place and has been forced to work with Wynn, Hays and Schultz. You are expecting a lot if you think he's going to transform those guys into Heisman contenders. We can't say definitively that he can't coach.

LA Ute
12-20-2013, 12:43 PM
http://m.trib.com/sports/college/wyoming/utah-hires-former-wyoming-coach-dave-christensen-as-offensive-coordinator/article_13c1fc78-1c3d-590c-9cf3-0470ad73eac8.html?mobile_touch=true

DrumNFeather
12-20-2013, 12:43 PM
BJ was presented to everyone as the long term solution. Whittingham told us how he interviewed so many people and that it became clear that the best candidate for the job was already in his program. Talked about him being a superstar in the coaching ranks. He was sold to us as the savior and our long term OC. Obviously, Dennis Erickson was not considered a long term option.

BJ was simply not ready, and he still isn't. It appears he is an effective recruiter, so I'm fine with having him around the program. Coaching? We'll see. He was hired in part because things broke down with guys like Steve Fairchild, if I'm remembering correctly.

Keep in mind fans of teams in the jello belt always want former stars to coach. Look at the Cougs and Doman and even our fans wanting Scalley to take over some day.

Applejack
12-20-2013, 12:46 PM
I do think people are overreacting a bit. We can argue on whether this is a smart move or not, but if this move alone moves the dial on whether you think Kyle is fit to be our head coach, you have a quick trigger.

I still think Kyle is our guy. I think this is a weird decision. I hope, however, that Christensen can figure out a way to keep our QBs healthy.

Diehard Ute
12-20-2013, 12:47 PM
I wonder if this signals that Travis Wilson isn't coming back next year. If we are starting over at QB, might as well move on to a new OC.

Trust me when I say no one knows if Travis can or can't play. That won't be learned until February when he's reevaluated.

LA Ute
12-20-2013, 12:47 PM
:TrainWreck1: I hope that isn't true as Kyle would have just burned a bunch of bridges and good will with his staff. I realize the buck stops with Kyle, but that seems like something you discuss with your current OC(s) if you plan on demoting him/them.

If he blindsided Erickson with this, I agree that is disturbing and hard to understand.

sancho
12-20-2013, 12:53 PM
There was only one right move for Whittingham to do with the offensive staff. Go to Dennis Erickson, admit that he doesn't know what the fuck he is going on the offensive side of the ball (with schemes, players, and coaching hires) and tell Erickson that he had full control over schemes, players, and coaching hires on the offensive side of the ball.

My guess is DE would just keep the staff as is, unless there's someone he doesn't get along with. He's 200 years old, he hasn't been a successful coach in a long time, he hasn't run a modern offense in a long time, and he's not trying to climb the ladder to the top. I'm glad he's here, and I was completely sold on him as our OC for the next few years, but he's not the kind who wants to deal with replacing everyone and spending 365 days of the year out on the recruiting trail. Maybe I've misread him, but I think he'd keep things more or less as is.

I'm not a program insider. You guys tell me. Does Kyle really get all that involved in the offense?

DrumNFeather
12-20-2013, 12:54 PM
My guess is DE would just keep the staff as is, unless there's someone he doesn't get along with. He's 200 years old, he hasn't been a successful coach in a long time, he hasn't run a modern offense in a long time, and he's not trying to climb the ladder to the top. I'm glad he's here, and I was completely sold on him as our OC for the next few years, but he's not the kind who wants to deal with replacing everyone and spending 365 days of the year out on the recruiting trail. Maybe I've misread him, but I think he'd keep things more or less as is.

I'm not a program insider. You guys tell me. Does Kyle really get all that involved in the offense?

Didn't DE recently tweet that Roderick was one of the better minds he's worked with?

mpfunk
12-20-2013, 12:55 PM
You pull the trigger too quickly. Shaw has been here for only one year, and his position group did pretty well. BJ has not been dealt anything close to a full deck. He has had QB injury issues all over the place and has been forced to work with Wynn, Hays and Schultz. You are expecting a lot if you think he's going to transform those guys into Heisman contenders. We can't say definitively that he can't coach.

He has had bad luck, I'll give him that, but he has absolutely sucked. He wasn't qualified for the position when he was hired and has looked like a deer in headlights the whole time. He should have been shown the door this offseason.

I don't know what games you are watching saying that our DBs played well this year.

Hot Lunch
12-20-2013, 12:55 PM
Yeah, well, success tends to do that. Seriously? He finished #2 in the nation and won COY. That should give anyone some credibility.

The worst thing he's done was hire Norm Chow. That hire has set us back 5+ years offensively. And it seemed like a good hire to pretty much everyone.

That was one year. Then you also have schools like Auburn, they fired their head coach 2 years after winning a national championship. Look at where they are now.

DrumNFeather
12-20-2013, 12:57 PM
That was one year. Then you also have schools like Auburn, they fired their head coach 2 years after winning a national championship. Look at where they are now.

Yeah, but that cost them a lot to buy that many players. :D

USS Utah
If he blindsided Erickson with this, I agree that is disturbing and hard to understand.

Pardon me for being skeptical just because Lya is the one reporting this.

concerned
Trust me when I say no one knows if Travis can or can't play. That won't be learned until February when he's reevaluated.

He is being reevaluated but I don't think anybody expects his condition to be better.

sancho
12-20-2013, 12:59 PM

There are examples on both sides. Look at programs stuck in a recurring nightmare where they fire their HC every 3-5 years and never get anywhere. Look at programs that have stuck it out through some bad years and been rewarded. The problem with all the examples on both sides is that every program and every situation is completely unique in many ways.

sancho
12-20-2013, 01:00 PM

Yeah, we need to wait to hear how this went down.

LA Ute
12-20-2013, 01:02 PM

I'm waiting for confirmation before getting upset. The operative word is "if" Kyle did that.

LA Ute
12-20-2013, 01:03 PM
"As one of the pioneers of the spread offense, Dave Christensen is an innovative coach and was the architect of one of the top offenses in the country during his time at Missouri," Whittingham said in a release. "We feel fortunate he was available and interested in joining our program, and he will be a great fit with our staff. We want an explosive offense and that's been a trademark of Dave's throughout his career as an offensive coordinator."

http://m.trib.com/sports/college/wyoming/utah-hires-former-wyoming-coach-dave-christensen-as-offensive-coordinator/article_13c1fc78-1c3d-590c-9cf3-0470ad73eac8.html?mobile_touch=true

Hot Lunch
12-20-2013, 01:05 PM
There are examples on both sides. Look at programs stuck in a recurring nightmare where they fire their HC every 3-5 years and never get anywhere. Look at programs that have stuck it out through some bad years and been rewarded. The problem with all the examples on both sides is that every program and every situation is completely unique in many ways.

Yep, we will just go ahead and hire a new OC every year and see how that works out.

crazyute
12-20-2013, 01:06 PM
You guys do realize that it is shah and not shaw, right?

mpfunk
12-20-2013, 01:07 PM
Yep, we will just go ahead and hire a new OC every year and see how that works out.

I'm sure there are lots of good examples of programs having success with hiring 7 OCs in 7 years.

mpfunk
12-20-2013, 01:08 PM
I'm waiting for confirmation before getting upset. The operative word is "if" Kyle did that.

With his dealings with assistant coaches over the past 7 years, I'm not sure why anyone would give him the benefit of the doubt on this.

concerned
12-20-2013, 01:11 PM
the most amazing thing about this news is that it makes me realizethat it has been 5 years since joe glenn flipped the bird. man time flies

crazyute
12-20-2013, 01:12 PM
With his dealings with assistant coaches over the past 7 years, I'm not sure why anyone would give him the benefit of the doubt on this.
This right here. kyle has given no hope in regards to his handling of assistants. especially on the offensive side.

Diehard Ute
12-20-2013, 01:18 PM
He is being reevaluated but I don't think anybody expects his condition to be better.

That's pure and unfounded speculation on your part or anyone else's.

concerned
12-20-2013, 01:20 PM

nope.

Diehard Ute
12-20-2013, 01:21 PM
nope.

Unless you're the neurosurgeon nope

Sullyute
12-20-2013, 01:23 PM

I think that concerned is just not getting his hopes up, as noboby would want Wilson to choose football over his long term health, if it came to that. I would love to have have a healthy Wilson back next year, either as a starter or a good back up. He have been really hurt by not having a good depth at QB.

Diehard Ute
12-20-2013, 01:27 PM
I think that concerned is just not getting his hopes up, as noboby would want Wilson to choose football over his long term health, if it came to that. I would love to have have a healthy Wilson back next year, either as a starter or a good back up. He have been really hurt by not having a good depth at QB.

Which is fine. But the constant statements that a medical decision has been made or there are odds one way or the other isn't true

sancho
12-20-2013, 01:41 PM
Worst part of this move? We can't say DC for Dave Christensen because of the defensive coordinator ambiguity. We will all have to type Christensen all the way out until someone gives us a nickname. And there are about 500 spellings of Christensen.

concerned
12-20-2013, 01:43 PM
Which is fine. But the constant statements that a medical decision has been made or there are odds one way or the other isn't true

I beg to differ, but we will see.

sancho
12-20-2013, 01:43 PM
I'm sure there are lots of good examples of programs having success with hiring 7 OCs in 7 years.

There's a first time for everything!

Seriously, no one thinks it's good to have so much turnover. The Chow hire hurt us the worst. The ARod/Schramm and the BJ hires were the most questionable. The BJ hire is the only one that seemed like a reach at the time.

concerned
12-20-2013, 01:46 PM
Kragthorpe certainly thinks it is ominous, a little like Custer?

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/utes/57291757-89/whittingham-coach-utah-christensen.html.csp

U-Ute
12-20-2013, 01:56 PM
Unless you're the neurosurgeon nope

My biggest concern with Wilson isn't his physical status, but now his mental status.

Say the doctors give him the "full steam ahead". Now suppose you're Wilson, it's 4th and 3 in a critical moment against USC and you're scrambling for the first down with 2 LB's coming at you.

Do you take that chance?

U-Ute
12-20-2013, 01:57 PM
Worst part of this move? We can't say DC for Dave Christensen because of the defensive coordinator ambiguity. We will all have to type Christensen all the way out until someone gives us a nickname. And there are about 500 spellings of Christensen.

You're right. What a horrible hire. KW clearly hasn't thought through how this would impact the online world.

mpfunk
12-20-2013, 02:03 PM
This doesn't sound good coming from BJs agent and from an NFL agent that has ties to lots of Utah players.

David Canter @shadjoe panic move from a coach on his last year / leg

https://twitter.com/davidcanter/status/414100402305765376

Sullyute
12-20-2013, 02:08 PM
Kragthorpe certainly thinks it is ominous, a little like Custer?

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/utes/57291757-89/whittingham-coach-utah-christensen.html.csp

Kragthorpe has some great one liners in there:

By hiring former Wyoming coach Dave Christensen as offensive coordinator and demoting Brian Johnson and — more significantly — Dennis Erickson, Whittingham is acting desperately, boldly or some combination of those descriptions.

Utah’s staff would be the only one in college football history that included three of its former play-callers, with Aaron Roderick, Johnson and Erickson.

The Utes are getting a coach whose offense posted seven points and 190 total yards against the Aggies, and who embarrassed himself and his program with a tirade directed at Air Force coach Troy Calhoun after a 2012 game.

sancho
12-20-2013, 02:12 PM
Pac-12 blog on ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id/67172/whittinghams-six-coordinator-itch

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-20-2013, 02:20 PM
Maybe Whit should use a term like "explosive offense" until we get our offensive line fixed. Watching the offense get blown up every other play wasn't my favorite.

concerned
12-20-2013, 02:20 PM
Kragthorpe has some great one liners in there:

it does seem like this is KW's last chance--if this doesn't work out (and it may take more than one year make that determination), you cant trust KW an 8th time to get it right; you have to start over. Since it sounds like there is a very good chance that C Hill will retire this year, a new AD is starting over anyway.

sancho
12-20-2013, 02:22 PM
it does seem like this is KW's last chance--if this doesn't work out (and it may take more than one year make that determination), you cant trust KW an 8th time to get it right; you have to start over. Since it sounds like there is a very good chance that C Hill will retire this year, a new AD is starting over anyway.

Agreed. 1-2 more years with no bowl, and it's over for Coach Whitt. Next year's schedule is brutal, too.

wally
12-20-2013, 02:38 PM
Weird.

This move smells like a "hail mary." I REALLY want Whit to succeed but I am continually finding myself thinking that he could be a great coach if only he could figure out how to hire the right people. Unfortunately, that is probably the most important job of a head coach.

wally
12-20-2013, 02:39 PM
Since it sounds like there is a very good chance that C Hill will retire this year, a new AD is starting over anyway.

Where is this written? I really hope we are not in the position of replacing both our AD and FB HC in a few year span.

concerned
12-20-2013, 02:48 PM
Where is this written? I really hope we are not in the position of replacing both our AD and FB HC in a few year span.

subject of ongoing rumors on the hill.

wally
12-20-2013, 02:56 PM
Having had a few moments to soak this in, I am happy with this move as it at least solidifies our defense going forward. After successfully demoting so many coordinators, Whit will be happy to be demoted back to DC when his replacement is hired. Sitake can go back to LB coach, too. If we bring in an offensive minded HC for 2015, we will be an effing coaching powerhouse.

UtahDan
12-20-2013, 03:30 PM
Pac-12 blog on ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id/67172/whittinghams-six-coordinator-itch

This is a good hire in many ways. Erickson wasn't the long-term answer, and Christensen's availability and willingness to come to Salt Lake probably was too alluring to pass up for Whittingham. Yet six coordinators in six years is pretty extreme turnover. While there are reasonable explanations for each change, it's impossible to not at least raise an eyebrow.

NorthwestUteFan
12-20-2013, 03:40 PM
If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try, try, try, try again.

LA Ute
12-20-2013, 03:48 PM
My guess as to the KW thought process:

I only have another season or two to get this thing turned around.
I guess offense really is important and we can't win just by emphasizing defense over offense. Man, those PAC-12 offenses are really athletic and potent!
The offense has been awful, and the program and I look ridiculous because of the musical chairs at OC.
DE isn't going to stick around very long and I really don't think Brian will be ready to take over when DE does leave. (Man! Why did I give that OC spot to BJ???)
Then there was Schroderick and Chow. Why did I -- oh, I don't want to think about those mistakes any more.
Christensen will give us a decent shot at an OC who will stay long enough to install an offensive identity. Besides, he's been successful as an OC. And he runs a spread!
I'll bring Christensen on and we'll give this a shot. Yeah, I might lose DE, but he was going to leave soon anyway. I hope BJ stays because I like the kid, but it won't kill the program if he leaves. He might just kill it if he stays and I let him be OC.

[Kyle picks up the phone to call Christensen and make the offer.]

Viewed this way the decision at least makes sense. Now we all watch to see what unfolds. I wouldn't be surprised to see both DE and BJ gone by spring. I just hope their replacements aren't Kyle's former players or teammates.

jrj84105
12-20-2013, 05:24 PM
I don't understand how you blame your failure on a lack of talent and then demote your best recruiter. We saw versus Oregon State what DE could do with a decent 11 man lineup (even minus Scott at that point). DE struggled with the crap depth he inherited from KW's legacy of bad OC hires. If anyone on the staff deserves a demotion it's KW. If DE and BJ are gone by spring, I anticipate they could land a better offensive recruiting class at UVU than we will in SLC.

LA Ute
12-20-2013, 06:52 PM
More tea leaves to read: David Canter's tweet this afternoon. https://twitter.com/davidcanter/status/414161454422839296

Finally was able to connect with client @BDJohnson3 (https://twitter.com/BDJohnson3) regarding today’s news. All is well and positive. Bright things ahead at the U! Go Utes

NorthwestUteFan
12-20-2013, 08:06 PM
More tea leaves to read: David Canter's tweet this afternoon. https://twitter.com/davidcanter/status/414161454422839296

I am very happy to see Brian act as the voice of reason in this instance. The offense will be better off with another very experienced and successful offensive coach on staff. This is exactly the level of maturity to expect from him, regardless of the rumblings from his agent. I am thrilled to have somebody with Dave Christensen's level of experience AND CONNECTIONS FROM OUTSIDE THE PROGRAM, rather than somebody who played on the team two years ago.

And before anybody complains about Christensen's Whittingham-esque record over the last few years at Wyoming, realize that he took that dumpster fire of program to two bowl game wins in his tenure.

I think this will be a good long-term move for the program. And it may be the last, best hope for Whitt's tenure at the U.

Homer Crimson
12-20-2013, 08:07 PM
My guess as to the KW thought process: Feels dead on to me. At this point, I'm throwing my hands up and saying, "Why not?" what do we have left to lose? It's not like DE and BJ were going to build an offensive juggernaut together.

I just hope their replacements aren't Kyle's former players or teammates. This is my biggest concern. I really want Finn and A-rod gone and hope Whitt or even Christensen can bring in more outside hires. Whitt's incestuous hiring practices are lazy at best and incompetent at worst. Hiring/managing is a huge part of the HC position and has proven to be a chink in Kyle's armor.

USS Utah
12-20-2013, 08:13 PM
I'll just say it, this new hire confuses me. It's not that Christensen might not be a good OC, I just don't see why it was necessary to make this move.

Homer Crimson
12-20-2013, 08:37 PM
I just don't see why it was necessary to make this move. Of all the changes to be made on the coaching staff, this was the last thing I expected. Well, Sitake getting fired would surprise me the most I guess.

I think LA has it right and KW really is feeling the heat and is trying anything to turn the O around. I'm starting to think that KW was explicitly told that his job was not as safe as his supporters think it is.

It does reek of desperation, but could be enough to save his hide. I still doubt the Utes will achieve a winning record next season.

jrj84105
12-20-2013, 08:42 PM
I agree that things needed to be done with the staff, however, the right moves are not being made.

There was only one right move for Whittingham to do with the offensive staff. Go to Dennis Erickson, admit that he doesn't know what the fuck he is going on the offensive side of the ball (with schemes, players, and coaching hires) and tell Erickson that he had full control over schemes, players, and coaching hires on the offensive side of the ball. Let the coach with years of experience and success in offensive fix the problem and Whittingham could focus on the administrative side of being a head coach and on figuring out how to fix a defense that has been getting consistently worse.

I'm with Hot Lunch, it is clear that Whittingham is not the guy. I wanted him to be the guy, but it just isn't happening.
I'm entirely with you here. We've gone through enough OC's, including some who had a lot of success before coming to Utah and a few who have done well after leaving, to know that another OC change is not the answer.

If TW is done, we are going to really struggle next year. If we lose to Fresno State, it will be time for KW to be fired- as in the same day. Then we can see whether or not Sitake has the chops to run a defense and whether or not DE/Christensen/et al can run an offense without KW's interference. That will make the ultimate decisions of the successor a lot clearer.

sancho
12-20-2013, 08:54 PM
Of all the changes to be made on the coaching staff, this was the last thing I expected. Well, Sitake getting fired would surprise me the most I guess.

I didn't want any coaches to go, but for those who were demanding change, you can't get better than this. This is way bigger than a couple of position coaches whose firings would have a negligible effect. A new coordinator could actually result in something.

NorthwestUteFan
12-20-2013, 10:25 PM
Jay Hill started the ball rolling, so Hill and Whitt had to hire SOMEBODY. Rather than think of Christensen replacing Erickson, instead think of Christensen replacing Jay Hill and retaining Erickson for his offensive acumen and put him in charge of developing one of the most important positions in this offense (RB). Also, Christensen shared duties as O Line coach during his 19 years(!) as OC.

This is a good hire in the long run.

jrj84105
12-20-2013, 10:33 PM
Jay Hill started the ball rolling, so Hill and Whitt had to hire SOMEBODY. Rather than think of Christensen replacing Erickson, instead think of Christensen replacing Jay Hill and retaining Erickson for his offensive acumen and put him in charge of developing one of the most important positions in this offense (RB). Also, Christensen shared duties as O Line coach during his 19 years(!) as OC.

This is a good hire in the long run.
Or we can think of it as it really is- Whittingham again taking the reins to enforce his misguided vision of a turnover-free, play-not-to-lose, ball control offense that is better for his defense than it is for the team. KW has done an amazing job of providing continuity for this same ineffective offense through 6 separate OC's from all different backgrounds and coaching philosophies.

Hill made a smart move to distance himself from KW's continued mismanagement of the program.

LA Ute
12-20-2013, 10:34 PM
On reflection, the Christensen hire is actually the first OC hire since Ludwig left that makes sense. You have to look at it a certain way, but it shows (1) forethought, (2) long-term thinking, and (3) regard for both credentials and proven success. When you think about the prior six hires, none of them had all three of those elements. This one might be the first solid OC hire Kyle has made yet. We'll see.

LA Ute
12-20-2013, 10:44 PM
Or we can think of it as it really is- Whittingham again taking the reins to enforce his misguided vision of a turnover-free, play-not-to-lose, ball control offense that is better for his defense than it is for the team. KW has done an amazing job of providing continuity for this same ineffective offense through 6 separate OC's from all different backgrounds and coaching philosophies.

Hill made a smart move to distance himself from KW's continued mismanagement of the program.

Like you, I have no confidence in Kyle's ability to understand offense. But Christensen's resume is not about the kind of offense you describe above:

Christensen devised and implemented one of college football's most exciting no-huddle, spread offenses at Mizzou, where he was named the 2007 National Offensive Coordinator of the Year by Rivals.com and was runner-up for the 2007 Frank Broyles Award, honoring the nation's top assistant coach. Missouri played in the Big 12 Championship game in both 2007 and 2008 as the champion of the Big 12 North.

Missouri finished the 2007 season with a No. 4 Associated Press ranking and Christensen's offense ranked No. 5 in the nation in total offense (490.3 yards per game), No. 8 in scoring offense (39.9) and No. 9 in passing offense (314.1).

Missouri quarterback Chase Daniel finished fourth in the Heisman Trophy balloting in 2007, when Christensen masterminded an offense that scored a school-record 558 points, far surpassing the previous Missouri single-season record of 399 points. Also that season, tight end Martin Rucker and freshman wide receiver Jeremy Maclin were Consensus first-team All-America selections, marking the first time Missouri had two Consensus first-team All-Americans in the same season. Senior center Adam Spieker was named a finalist for the Rimington Award, which honors the nation's best center.

I'm not playing rah-rah, just trying to see the thinking here. It is discernible!

concerned
12-20-2013, 11:03 PM
in an interview this afternoon, I heard Christensen say that he wants to run a play every 20 seconds.. Later on the news I heard that BYU ran the most plays this year per game, and at Wyoming ran the second most. Sounds like we're in for go fast go hard redux. Hope it works.

DrumNFeather
12-20-2013, 11:06 PM
One of our glaring weaknesses this year was a lack of offensive identity. It seemed like the offenses' production hinged very closely on Wilson's ability and availability to play. I think we will see Christiansen bring some clarity to that and perhaps the drop off and results won't be nearly as dramatic.

He did well with Chase Daniel at Missouri, whose measurables nearly mirror those of Schultz and Manning.

I agree that this is likely Whit's last move as HC if it doesn't work out. He knows that one of the big differences between a bowl game this year and not was the offense essentially being shut down in at least two winnable games if not more. He believes Christiansen is the answer. We'll find out, and if he's wrong then those that want blood will get it.

jrj84105
12-20-2013, 11:27 PM
Like you, I have no confidence in Kyle's ability to understand offense. But Christensen's resume is not about the kind of offense you describe above:

I'm not playing rah-rah, just trying to see the thinking here. It is discernible!
The offenses our OC's have run per-KW and post-KW are much more diverse than the offenses they have run under KW. The moment Christensen became available I have said he is absolutely the guy we need. He is a great fit for Utah. But that was based on DE being given the reigns and making the hire. Christensen enters the program now to manage his three previously demoted predecessors. That is a situation virtually guaranteed to fail.

LA Ute
12-20-2013, 11:42 PM
The offenses our OC's have run per-KW and post-KW are much more diverse than the offenses they have run under KW. The moment Christensen became available I have said he is absolutely the guy we need. He is a great fit for Utah. But that was based on DE being given the reigns and making the hire. Christensen enters the program now to manage his three previously demoted predecessors. That is a situation virtually guaranteed to fail.

That does suggest to me a lack of management savvy on Kyle's part. I hope everyone can get past it.

sancho
12-21-2013, 07:13 AM
I can understand a lot of the gripes about Kyle, even if I don't agree with them. But the "Kyle doesn't want to score. Kyle meddles too much with the offense. Kyle won't let his OCs open the playbook" gripe is unfounded and simple-minded. Our offensive strategies have made sense given the QB situations we have been in.

It's a fine line between success and failure. One play in either the OSU, the ASU, the UCLA, the Arizona, or the WSU game, and we are in a bowl game and singing Kyle's praises. Take away one injury to either Murphy or Wilson, and we are in a bowl game feeling good about our progress.

jrj84105
12-21-2013, 08:07 AM
I can understand a lot of the gripes about Kyle, even if I don't agree with them. But the "Kyle doesn't want to score. Kyle meddles too much with the offense. Kyle won't let his OCs open the playbook" gripe is unfounded and simple-minded. Our offensive strategies have made sense given the QB situations we have been in.

It's a fine line between success and failure. One play in either the OSU, the ASU, the UCLA, the Arizona, or the WSU game, and we are in a bowl game and singing Kyle's praises. Take away one injury to either Murphy or Wilson, and we are in a bowl game feeling good about our progress.
That's just it. We improved substantially on offense. The correct system was in place. We had a lot of injuries, zero depth, and a true sophomore QB. The system was the only part if the offense that was good, and DE was more than anyone else on the staff IMO doing the right things in the offseason to fix the real problems. KW has now thrown out the system without addressing the actual deficiencies. KW can want all the scoring in the world, but he's unwilling to break a few eggs to make an omelette (or however the saying goes). After the 6 int game versus UCLA (which was an issue with receivers not DE) I knew that would be the last aggressive performance from the offense regardless of the injuries that followed. That's just KW's m.o. We're stuck with for one more year. It's unfortunate that DE won't be in the drivers seat next year when our biggest new impact players will be on the team solely through his recruiting efforts in the South/Fla.

OrangeUte
12-21-2013, 08:12 AM
I've been away from a computer for several days and last night got told about this by a few buddies who are cougar fans. I had heard it happened but didn't know much. My head is still spinning trying to decide if this is a good decision or bad.

I would think the only really worrisome part is if Erickson is pissed about it and leaves. That will be embarassing and a loss to the continuity of the staff. Using the word demotion sucks because players hear that and it can make these coaches look like failures in the eyes of the guys they are coaching. Plus, you have to figure they it's going to impact recruiting somewhat with a "wtf" response from some recruits. Kwhit clearly mishandled the roll out and announcement. There were ways to use Dennis Erickson to support this and have a group speak mentality among the staff. whit is a bull in the china shop and that doesn't help the perception.

UTEopia
12-21-2013, 08:14 AM
Christensen enters the program now to manage his three previously demoted predecessors. That is a situation virtually guaranteed to fail.

As opposed to DE entering the program to manage the two previously demoted predecessors? Just as when Erickson came aboard, if the other guys don't like it, they can leave. I am sure ARod and Erickson can find other jobs if they want. Not so sure about BJ. They are big boys and professionals. With the exception of Erickson, who doesn't really need to work, the others have a lot riding on what happens next year. Fair or not fair (I am in the two more years camp), I think the writing is on the wall. Make a bowl game in 2014 or find a new HC.

U-Ute
12-21-2013, 08:17 AM
My guess as to the KW thought process:

I only have another season or two to get this thing turned around.
I guess offense really is important and we can't win just by emphasizing defense over offense. Man, those PAC-12 offenses are really athletic and potent!
The offense has been awful, and the program and I look ridiculous because of the musical chairs at OC.
DE isn't going to stick around very long and I really don't think Brian will be ready to take over when DE does leave. (Man! Why did I give that OC spot to BJ???)
Then there was Schroderick and Chow. Why did I -- oh, I don't want to think about those mistakes any more.
Christensen will give us a decent shot at an OC who will stay long enough to install an offensive identity. Besides, he's been successful as an OC. And he runs a spread!
I'll bring Christensen on and we'll give this a shot. Yeah, I might lose DE, but he was going to leave soon anyway. I hope BJ stays because I like the kid, but it won't kill the program if he leaves. He might just kill it if he stays and I let him be OC.

[Kyle picks up the phone to call Christensen and make the offer.]

Viewed this way the decision at least makes sense. Now we all watch to see what unfolds. I wouldn't be surprised to see both DE and BJ gone by spring. I just hope their replacements aren't Kyle's former players or teammates.

This is pretty much how I see it.

Devildog
12-21-2013, 11:22 AM
I suspect Dennis Erickson may have wanted to step it down. BJ still isn't ready for the lead, and he remains focused on coaching QB's (he has his hands full with this task alone).

I hate the 7 OC's in 7 years... but, Dennis (or Chow) wasn't ever going to be a long(er) term solution.

Successful programs lose coaches to promotion... we've lost even more looking for answers.

I want to be optimistic... but, it's damn difficult.

jrj84105
12-21-2013, 12:10 PM
I suspect Dennis Erickson may have wanted to step it down. BJ still isn't ready for the lead, and he remains focused on coaching QB's (he has his hands full with this task alone).

I hate the 7 OC's in 7 years... but, Dennis (or Chow) wasn't ever going to be a long(er) term solution.

Successful programs lose coaches to promotion... we've lost even more looking for answers.

I want to be optimistic... but, it's damn difficult.
If this is a voluntary consensus decision, then DE and BJ and BJ's agent have prepared statements to that effect. This change doesn't happen at the beginning of a critical recruiting blackout period- a period were BJ and DE are not allowed to contact their recruits and provide reassurance.

No doubt Christensen is a great OC, but this hiring with the timing at the front end of a recruiting blackout, the lack of a unified public front, and given our OC carousel is just another in a long string of bad executive decisions.

LA Ute
12-21-2013, 02:37 PM
I'll give Kyle one thing: his management style is not boring. You never know what he'll do next.

LA Ute
12-22-2013, 04:02 PM
Q: What do you know about Utah’s current personnel?

A: “I’ll get started the next couple of weeks studying the personnel. I know they’ve got a number of players, excellent players, on their football team. I just don't know a lot about them yet until I can watch the video and study them, watch them in workouts and get to know the kids. But I certainly know that they have capable players. They proved when they played both teams in the Pac-12 championship game this year — in beating Stanford and playing extremely close versus ASU — that they have players that are very capable.”

Q: Do you anticipate running a spread offense, or will the scheme be more catered to personnel?

A: “We’ll run a spread offense but we’ll run an up-tempo spread offense where exactly what we’ll do will be based upon what our strengths are from a personnel standpoint. So until I get a chance to get in and study the personnel and see where we’re at, you know, we won’t make all of my own decisions on what we’re going to do. We will be a spread, up-tempo offense.”

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865592849/Utah-football-Dave-Christensen-talks-about-becoming-the-Utes-new-offensive-coordinator.html

Mormon Red Death
12-22-2013, 04:37 PM
I hope DC gets rid of the volleyball offense where our receiver have to bump the football straight up into the air 3 times a game.

UTEopia
12-22-2013, 06:08 PM
If this is a voluntary consensus decision, then DE and BJ and BJ's agent have prepared statements to that effect. This change doesn't happen at the beginning of a critical recruiting blackout period- a period were BJ and DE are not allowed to contact their recruits and provide reassurance.

No doubt Christensen is a great OC, but this hiring with the timing at the front end of a recruiting blackout, the lack of a unified public front, and given our OC carousel is just another in a long string of bad executive decisions.

Talks have been going on with Christensen when he was fired from Wyoming. The hiring and the decision were not a surprise, in fact, I was told by some on the staff that they thought the announcement was going to be made before it actually came down. BJ's agent might have been out of the loop, but the others were not.

I haven't heard reports from anyone who really matters, other than BJ's idiot agent who does not really count (who apparently spoke before talking to his client) that the way they received their information has bothered them. I know there are people on message boards who think everything should go through them and those in the media who when told someone was surprised that it was done today makes it sound like they had no knowledge that there was even a person named Dave Christensen and that he was a football coach.

sancho
12-22-2013, 06:20 PM
Talks have been going on with Christensen when he was fired from Wyoming. The hiring and the decision were not a surprise, in fact, I was told by some on the staff that they thought the announcement was going to be made before it actually came down. BJ's agent might have been out of the loop, but the others were not.

I haven't heard reports from anyone who really matters, other than BJ's idiot agent who does not really count (who apparently spoke before talking to his client) that the way they received their information has bothered them. I know there are people on message boards who think everything should go through them and those in the media who when told someone was surprised that it was done today makes it sound like they had no knowledge that there was even a person named Dave Christensen and that he was a football coach.

I don't know you or your sources, but I'm taking your version as truth because I like it. Thanks.

Diehard Ute
12-22-2013, 07:09 PM

Beyond that let's also remember that an assignment as a beat writer does not mean you're given great info. If writers do something to alienate coaches and staff their access and information is often limited, even if they don't realize it.

LA Ute
12-22-2013, 07:26 PM
Beyond that let's also remember that an assignment as a beat writer does not mean you're given great info. If writers do something to alienate coaches and staff their access and information is often limited, even if they don't realize it.

This is why Gordon Monson never has any inside info and must always be an opinion writer.

Newbomb Turk
12-22-2013, 07:30 PM
This is why Gordon Monson never has any inside info and must always be an opinion writer.

Haven't read his opinion in years. But I assume it still stinks.

jrj84105
12-22-2013, 07:50 PM

Don't think you know so much dude. I had Christensen in my top three when the BJ hire went down two years ago and I posted elsewhere that he would be a great addition for the Utah staff this year BEFORE his firing was announced (my insider knowledge in CFB isn't with Utah's staff), and it was known that he had discussions with KW. I'm not sure if we'll get the real story with DE, but I don't think it's as rosy as some people would like to believe.

UTEopia
12-22-2013, 08:32 PM
Don't think you know so much dude. I had Christensen in my top three when the BJ hire went down two years ago and I posted elsewhere that he would be a great addition for the Utah staff this year BEFORE his firing was announced (my insider knowledge in CFB isn't with Utah's staff), and it was known that he had discussions with KW. I'm not sure if we'll get the real story with DE, but I don't think it's as rosy as some people would like to believe.

Okay dude. Here's a proposition. I won't read your posts and you won't read mine. You won't miss much because I don't know much. I know I will miss out on a great deal of information, but I am willing to live with that.

UtahDan
12-22-2013, 10:29 PM
Okay dude. Here's a proposition. I won't read your posts and you won't read mine. You won't miss much because I don't know much. I know I will miss out on a great deal of information, but I am willing to live with that.

Lol.

Scratch
12-22-2013, 10:35 PM

Wait, you had Christensen in your top 3 two years ago? Right after he was named the MWC coach of the year? Why on Earth would a conference head coach of the year have even been on anyone's radar as a coordinator two years ago?

Hadrian
12-23-2013, 02:30 AM
Is there any chance Christensen could bring Brett Smith with him? Apparently Smith is graduating and has a year of eligibility left. He could transfer to Utah and play immediately.

sancho
12-23-2013, 07:09 AM
On the topic of conservative play calling with a lead: the Cowboys and Lions just lost their way out of the playoffs by passing with a lead in the 4th quarter. Instead of trying to run out the clock, they both threw picks that allowed their opponent to get back into the game. Sometimes running out the clock with a lead is the best approach. That said, I was yelling for a pass on a 2nd and 6 in the 4th against ASU.

LA Ute
12-23-2013, 09:18 AM
Utah football: Christensen determined to give Utah an up-tempo offense (http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/utes/57298824-89/christensen-offense-utes-utah.html.csp)

Interesting comments from Christensen.

concerned
12-23-2013, 10:08 AM
Utah football: Christensen determined to give Utah an up-tempo offense (http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/utes/57298824-89/christensen-offense-utes-utah.html.csp)

Interesting comments from Christensen.

Does it seem as though there is nothing new under the sun? Haven't we heard all of this before? Didn't Kyle say halfway through the season that our tempo (about 70 plays per game) was just right, that we didn't want too much tempo? As BYU and Wyoming proved this year, an up tempo offense guarantees nothing; you have to have the personnel to run it. A bad up tempo offense just wears your defense out, and gives the opponent the chance to run more plays too. Hopefully it gives us an identity and stability that we can recruit to, but there are going to be a lot of hiccups next year I would guess.

Utah
12-23-2013, 11:48 AM
This is what Utah needs:

"We’ll run my offense, coach it the way I want it coached and taught the way I want it taught," he said. "We’re going to take this in the direction I want it to go, which will be an up-tempo, spread-attack based offense."

Someone to come in, tell everyone else to shut up and do what they are told on offense.

I'm not worried about tempo. Christensen has been successful at this before. Even this last year, Wyoming put up over 30 points per game, with Nebraska, USU, Boise and Fresno on the schedule. Good teams on their level. He isn't Anae, who went fast to go fast but forgot about spacing, formations, scheme, etc. Anae went fast to go fast. Christensen goes fast with a purpose.

Everyone has been bitching about how this is bad for the team because of continuity, but I see this as a positive. Someone to come in and say, "this is my offense, it works amazing, I'll put WR's, TE's, QB's in the NFL, and I'll make you all americans. Do what I say, and do it now."

There are no jobs safe here. I LOVE that F-bomb rant of his against AFA. We need a guy like that. We haven't had someone like that since Andersen. Our offense needs fire. He has fire. He has been successful. He will make our TE, WR and OL better through scheme and coaching.

This is a good hire.

Utah
12-23-2013, 03:51 PM
Hans Olsen tweets about DE:

DE wasn't as surprised about this move as people are believing him to be."

"DE didn't call as many plays as people think. BJ had more say and pull than what has been reported."

Is this why our offense resorted back to what it was under BJ alone? - my thought

"More of a demotion for BJ than Erickson. There is a very good chance DE stays on staff. He knows Dave well."

Once again, drama created out of nowhere.

SoCalPat
12-23-2013, 03:55 PM
There are no jobs safe here. I LOVE that F-bomb rant of his against AFA. We need a guy like that. We haven't had someone like that since Andersen. Our offense needs fire. He has fire. He has been successful. He will make our TE, WR and OL better through scheme and coaching.

This is a good hire.

This is a good hire, but in a vacuum, only a jackass would appreciate what Christensen said on Military Appreciation Night to an AFA graduate and coaching peer, and only a moron would use that moment as an example of what we need at Utah. Christensen was suspended for a game for that and was nearly fired over it. Do you really advocate actions that gets coaches suspended? I also strongly doubt Gary Anderson would agree with your comparison.

Take the big picture into account, however, and Christensen is a good hire for us because he'll NEVER be a head coach in FBS again after that rant. If he can deliver results, I'll always have his back. Odds are also good if that happens, that he's here for a while and allows Kyle to fill the goodwill tank with Ws.

sancho
12-23-2013, 04:19 PM
Take the big picture into account, however, and Christensen is a good hire for us because he'll NEVER be a head coach in FBS again after that rant.

If we are successful and score a lot, he will get offers. Coaches have done worse and come out okay. I just hope we are in a position to find out.

Utah
12-23-2013, 04:47 PM
This is a good hire, but in a vacuum, only a jackass would appreciate what Christensen said on Military Appreciation Night to an AFA graduate and coaching peer, and only a moron would use that moment as an example of what we need at Utah. Christensen was suspended for a game for that and was nearly fired over it. Do you really advocate actions that gets coaches suspended? I also strongly doubt Gary Anderson would agree with your comparison.

Take the big picture into account, however, and Christensen is a good hire for us because he'll NEVER be a head coach in FBS again after that rant. If he can deliver results, I'll always have his back. Odds are also good if that happens, that he's here for a while and allows Kyle to fill the goodwill tank with Ws.

LOL. Serious? What Christensen did was nothing a lot of other coaches do all the time. His only problem was he did it on camera and not in a locker room. Don't pretend like he is an anomaly here. Urban is 100x's worse than that, and all he gets is buckets of money thrown at him.

If Christensen comes out and turns the offense around, and we go out and win 10+ games because of that, he is probably gone. That rant is irrelevant to his future job prospects. He was in Wyoming for heaven's sakes.

Utah
12-23-2013, 04:53 PM
And going along with that, didn't an Oregon coach have a big meltdown this year? If Christensen cuts out a couple of F-bombs, or does it off camera, or the AFA isn't involved (with DC questioning their ethics), then no one cares. It was a perfect storm of events that happened in that situation. The F-bombs, the AFA, questioning of ethics. Take one of those elements out and no one cares.

How did that hurt Gundy at OK St?

Seriously, not a big deal at all.

SoCalPat
12-23-2013, 08:22 PM
And going along with that, didn't an Oregon coach have a big meltdown this year? If Christensen cuts out a couple of F-bombs, or does it off camera, or the AFA isn't involved (with DC questioning their ethics), then no one cares. It was a perfect storm of events that happened in that situation. The F-bombs, the AFA, questioning of ethics. Take one of those elements out and no one cares.

How did that hurt Gundy at OK St?

Seriously, not a big deal at all.

Gundy owned up to it immediately and played along with people joking about it at his expense for many years. I have witnessed this first-hand.

What Christensen got suspended for, you applaud. What Christensen did to embarrass Wyoming, you're think Utah needs more of. You don't deserve to be taken seriously.

crazyute
12-23-2013, 08:37 PM
One of our glaring weaknesses this year was a lack of offensive identity. It seemed like the offenses' production hinged very closely on Wilson's ability and availability to play. I think we will see Christiansen bring some clarity to that and perhaps the drop off and results won't be nearly as dramatic.

He did well with Chase Daniel at Missouri, whose measurables nearly mirror those of Schultz and Manning.

I agree that this is likely Whit's last move as HC if it doesn't work out. He knows that one of the big differences between a bowl game this year and not was the offense essentially being shut down in at least two winnable games if not more. He believes Christiansen is the answer. We'll find out, and if he's wrong then those that want blood will get it.

oh hell please don't even indicate that shulz is the guy next year!!!!!!!!!!:Ashamed::anger:

crazyute
12-23-2013, 08:47 PM
sorry but this seems to be a pretty sensative comment.

not everyone has to agree with you. don't let your feeling get hurt so bad on a interent message board.

DrumNFeather
12-23-2013, 08:50 PM
oh hell please don't even indicate that shulz is the guy next year!!!!!!!!!!:Ashamed::anger:

"Who did well with a shrimpy QB?....hey Dave, it's Kyle...."

Utah
12-23-2013, 09:27 PM
Gundy owned up to it immediately and played along with people joking about it at his expense for many years. I have witnessed this first-hand.

What Christensen got suspended for, you applaud. What Christensen did to embarrass Wyoming, you're think Utah needs more of. You don't deserve to be taken seriously.

Uhhhhh. Christensen owned up to it immediately.

Again, come on now. What would you do if the opposing team faked injuries. Not sort of, or might of, but actually faked injuries. Beyond a shadow of doubt faked injuries and owned up to it after the game. Would you just shrug it off and shake the guy's hand? Or would drop an F bomb or two? Probably drop an F bomb.

Did he hit anyone? Did he make insensitive remarks? Heck, was anything he said not true? So, other than get caught, what did he do wrong?

He got mad, and cussed someone out.

Big deal. I'll take more of that any day of the week.

p.s. He wasn't almost fired after the incident and initially Wyoming did nothing to punish him. It wasn't until the video went viral did they do anything about it. He was suspended after they had played their next game.

Again. Much adieu about nothing. I'll listen to people talk about how terrible he is after college football players aren't getting paid and taking PED's.

This is Sunday school stuff here. A couple of "F" bombs? Come on.

SoCalPat
12-23-2013, 09:50 PM
Uhhhhh. Christensen owned up to it immediately.

Again, come on now. What would you do if the opposing team faked injuries. Not sort of, or might of, but actually faked injuries. Beyond a shadow of doubt faked injuries and owned up to it after the game. Would you just shrug it off and shake the guy's hand? Or would drop an F bomb or two? Probably drop an F bomb.

Did he hit anyone? Did he make insensitive remarks? Heck, was anything he said not true? So, other than get caught, what did he do wrong?

He got mad, and cussed someone out.

Big deal. I'll take more of that any day of the week.

p.s. He wasn't almost fired after the incident and initially Wyoming did nothing to punish him. It wasn't until the video went viral did they do anything about it. He was suspended after they had played their next game.

Again. Much adieu about nothing. I'll listen to people talk about how terrible he is after college football players aren't getting paid and taking PED's.

This is Sunday school stuff here. A couple of "F" bombs? Come on.

We've already determined that your standard for conduct is on the level of a junior high boys locker room. Speak for yourself, but don't ever think you speak for me.

If anyone ever talked to me like Christensen did Calhoun at my place of employment, they would be kicked out immediately. And my workspace can be just as highly charged emotionally as a football field. I would also say there are many other workplaces that are not as emotionally charged that would react in a similar fashion. The idea that athletics is different and that we excuse civility is neanderthal. You can be angry, still be a good sport and do your venting without making a complete ass out of yourself. Clearly, you believe making an ass out of one's self can be justified.

Utah
12-23-2013, 10:42 PM
We've already determined that your standard for conduct is on the level of a junior high boys locker room. Speak for yourself, but don't ever think you speak for me.

If anyone ever talked to me like Christensen did Calhoun at my place of employment, they would be kicked out immediately. And my workspace can be just as highly charged emotionally as a football field. I would also say there are many other workplaces that are not as emotionally charged that would react in a similar fashion. The idea that athletics is different and that we excuse civility is neanderthal. You can be angry, still be a good sport and do your venting without making a complete ass out of yourself. Clearly, you believe making an ass out of one's self can be justified.

Lol.

Utah
12-23-2013, 10:47 PM
First, you don't work on a football field.

Second, as high and mighty as you believe you are, reality is reality.

If you don't want to believe it, good for you, but to pretend that a couple of F bombs is offensive in/on a football field/locker room/practice is ignorant. Sorry.

If he does this against any other team, or doesn't question AFA's ethics, then this is a non-issue.

justaute
12-23-2013, 11:02 PM
haha...this place is UFN-ing it up again. Yup, I'm using that as a transitive verb. Just because one person doesn't agree with another, then it's bad and unacceptable; name-calling and other inane comments start to be meted out. Just because something happens that would mean it's ok to accept it. Do people prefer drama to sports? No wonder people start fights and stab each other. LOL

crazyute
12-23-2013, 11:05 PM
haha...this place is UFN-ing up again. Yup, I'm using that as a transitive verb. Just because one person doesn't agree with another, then it's bad and name-calling and other inane comments start coming out. Just because something happens that would mean it's ok to accept it. LOL
I agree. please don't turn into that cesspool.

SoCalPat
12-23-2013, 11:57 PM
First, you don't work on a football field.

Second, as high and mighty as you believe you are, reality is reality.

If you don't want to believe it, good for you, but to pretend that a couple of F bombs is offensive in/on a football field/locker room/practice is ignorant. Sorry.

If he does this against any other team, or doesn't question AFA's ethics, then this is a non-issue.

This is truly funny for the few people who know my past professional background.

I must commend you on your backtracking. You've gone from defending one of the more deplorable acts of sportsmanship and saying that's just the kind of attitude we need at Utah, to tossing out qualifiers and trying to reduce it to a brief bout of profanity.

SoCalPat
12-24-2013, 12:17 AM
haha...this place is UFN-ing it up again. Yup, I'm using that as a transitive verb. Just because one person doesn't agree with another, then it's bad and unacceptable; name-calling and other inane comments start to be meted out. Just because something happens that would mean it's ok to accept it. Do people prefer drama to sports? No wonder people start fights and stab each other. LOL

Not sure whether you're referring to me, Utah or both, but this isn't about first-guessing whether or not Brian Johnson would make a good OC or if Kyle Whittingham deserves one more season or two. There's plenty of room for debate on both sides of that coin. I simply don't agree with stupid, brain-dead opinions and I will call them out as such. (There's certainly some I made about Larry Krystkowiak in his first year, but I'll own those.)

Attempting to defend Dave Christensen for what he did two years ago after the AFA game is one of them. Sue me. You want to say he's not going to do that again or that he's learned his lesson -- that's an opinion I won't challenge. I hope that's the case. You can be passionate, emotional and fire up your team without being a complete jackass and bringing embarrassment upon the school.

LA Ute
12-24-2013, 01:41 AM
sorry but this seems to be a pretty sensative comment.

not everyone has to agree with you. don't let your feeling get hurt so bad on a interent message board.

I don't think his feelings were hurt at all.

USS Utah
12-24-2013, 11:34 AM
I agree. please don't turn into that cesspool.

There's a thin line, apparently, between a cesspool and . . . not a cesspool.

LA Ute
12-24-2013, 11:38 AM
There's a thin line, apparently, between a cesspool and . . . not a cesspool.

Cesspools forbidden here. Grown-ups post on UB5!

cald22well
12-24-2013, 11:51 AM
Even this last year, Wyoming put up over 30 points per game, with Nebraska, USU, Boise and Fresno on the schedule. Good teams on their level.

Nebraska was a great game for Wyoming. But they put up a combined 24 points against USU, Boise, and Fresno State. If you're using their offense this year to show why DC is a good hire, then you're not makeing a very strong case.

Brian
12-24-2013, 12:15 PM
Hans Olsen tweets about DE:

DE wasn't as surprised about this move as people are believing him to be."

"DE didn't call as many plays as people think. BJ had more say and pull than what has been reported."

Is this why our offense resorted back to what it was under BJ alone? - my thought

"More of a demotion for BJ than Erickson. There is a very good chance DE stays on staff. He knows Dave well."

Once again, drama created out of nowhere.

thanks for posting this. I really like listening to Olsens take on things. He seems a reasonable zoob.
I didn't have time to catch his radio show after the hire. Did he elaborate on air about anything?

LA Ute
12-24-2013, 12:21 PM
Good info. I generally trust Hans as a guy who sometimes has too rosy a view but who tries to get it right and has no agenda.

My attitude about the Christensen hire now is (1) that I can make sense of it (unlike too many of Kyle's other OC hires), and (2) that there's nothing to do about it now but watch and hope for the best. And make a year-end donation to the Crimson Club. No amount too small, guys!

crazyute
12-24-2013, 01:15 PM
I don't think his feelings were hurt at all.
just though he got ultra sensative in his response. thought it was pretty weak.

LA Ute
12-24-2013, 01:34 PM

He was ticked off. That happens on message boards. We all feel strongly about our teams, which is why we devote so much of our lives to these boards. My wife considers me an overgrown adolescent in that regard. She's at least a little bit right!

Devildog
12-24-2013, 01:48 PM
Get off my lawn!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7X2_V60YK8

Diehard Ute
12-24-2013, 02:46 PM

I didn't

Frankly the original post attempting to call him out (the "I don't know you but I'm more connected than you are" crap) was the problem.

Utah
12-24-2013, 04:53 PM
This is truly funny for the few people who know my past professional background.

I must commend you on your backtracking. You've gone from defending one of the more deplorable acts of sportsmanship and saying that's just the kind of attitude we need at Utah, to tossing out qualifiers and trying to reduce it to a brief bout of profanity.

Lol. Love it. Love it.

Anyhow...I think a lot of the DE/BJ stuff is overblown. Drama made up to drive ratings. It's what we love. DC is a great hire. He is a great OC, he does good things with wide outs and TE's and I think we will see more of those athletes on the field more this year. One nice thing about spreading things out is that you dictate more, taking pressure off the QB and OL.

If Wilson is able to come back, watch out. If he isn't, I think 6-6 is a very good goal.

Utah
12-24-2013, 04:55 PM
Nebraska was a great game for Wyoming. But they put up a combined 24 points against USU, Boise, and Fresno State. If you're using their offense this year to show why DC is a good hire, then you're not makeing a very strong case.

I love posts like this. When we want to defend Utah's 2008 and 2004 seasons, Fresno St, Boise and USU are all BCS caliber teams and deserve BCS recognition. When we want to prove that DC is a bad hire, they are just crappy mid-majors.

crazyute
12-24-2013, 10:57 PM
I didn't

Frankly the original post attempting to call him out (the "I don't know you but I'm more connected than you are" crap) was the problem.
I understand that. he probably could have worded it better than he did. but I also thought he was basically saying that he has heard different.

but to come back after one measly disagreement and say ignore me and I will ignore you was pretty sensative on his part. that is what I am getting at. seemed his feelings were hurt that someone else had inside info that differed. then his pitty party of your better than me and I know nothing (after admitting to talk to inside people) was a show of sensative hurt feelings.

Diehard Ute
12-24-2013, 10:58 PM
I understand that. he probably could have worded it better than he did. but I also thought he was basically saying that he has heard different.

but to come back after one measly disagreement and say ignore me and I will ignore you was pretty sensative on his part. that is what I am getting at. seemed his feelings were hurt that someone else had inside info that differed. then his pitty party of your better than me and I know nothing (after admitting to talk to inside people) was a show of sensative hurt feelings.

I think it was sarcasm

crazyute
12-24-2013, 11:00 PM

If only we were all lucky enough to know!!!:jig:

crazyute
12-24-2013, 11:01 PM
I think it was sarcasm
alright...but I didn't see the colored text?

cald22well
12-26-2013, 11:04 AM
I love posts like this. When we want to defend Utah's 2008 and 2004 seasons, Fresno St, Boise and USU are all BCS caliber teams and deserve BCS recognition. When we want to prove that DC is a bad hire, they are just crappy mid-majors.

A couple of things: 1) I think DC is a very good hire given his success at Mizzou. 2) I think that USU, Boise, and Fresno are all very good teams. 3 of the top 5 mid-majors in my opinion.

My point was that if you are going to use this past season as a defense of DC, it is silly to point out Wyoming's ppg that included these tough teams. Wyoming performed terribly against those teams. I'm on your side of the debate, I just think that you used a very poor argument.

jrj84105
12-26-2013, 11:42 AM
The hiring and the decision were not a surprise, in fact, I was told by some on the staff that they thought the announcement was going to be made before it actually came down... I know there are people on message boards who think everything should go through them and those in the media who when told someone was surprised that it was done today makes it sound like they had no knowledge that there was even a person named Dave Christensen and that he was a football coach.

Wow- so that escalated quickly and hasn't gone away. My biggest pet peeve on these boards is people who claim insider knowledge, and then are condescending towards everyone who doesn't- acting like having a connected friend makes them smarter than everyone else. So yeah, when someone pullls the connection card, is patronizing to the entire board, and to anyone who engages in discussion based on the best information available to them, I think responding in a less than passive fashion including letting him/her know that his/her insider info isn't the only info out there, is appropriate. If that results in temborary butthurt, so be it.

That said, my panties were/are still in a bunch because I don't like the continued redirection of the offense. A PM (I now know how those work) would have been more appropriate.

Devildog
12-26-2013, 11:55 AM
Well... whatever,

I hope this works.

If our offense catches fire and our team produces a winning record next year... we go to a decent bowl game (or even better)... then all will be well.

If not... it will be much worse. Patience is a virtue, but it is not easily achieved... especially on football message boards.

LA Ute
12-26-2013, 12:00 PM
Wow- so that escalated quickly and hasn't gone away. My biggest pet peeve on these boards is people who claim insider knowledge, and then are condescending towards everyone who doesn't- acting like having a connected friend makes them smarter than everyone else. So yeah, when someone pullls the connection card, is patronizing to the entire board, and to anyone who engages in discussion based on the best information available to them, I think responding in a less than passive fashion including letting him/her know that his/her insider info isn't the only info out there, is appropriate. If that results in temborary butthurt, so be it.

That said, my panties were/are still in a bunch because I don't like the continued redirection of the offense. A PM (I now know how those work) would have been more appropriate.

You and UTEopia are excellent members of this board. I'm sure you'll both be singing Kumbaya before too long.

And yes, PMs are an excellent way to clarify misunderstandings. Don't ask me how I know this.... ;)

scottie
12-27-2013, 02:58 PM
Tosh Lupoi. From what I understand, this guy is an incredible recruiter.

This report says that Wilcox and Lupoi are proving difficult to extract out of UW.

http://larrybrownsports.com/college-football/justin-wilcox-tosh-lupoi-buyouts-usc/212929

USC: Justin Wilcox will be named USC's defensive coordinator after Washington's bowl game tonight according to Bruce Feldman.

http://www.footballscoop.com/the-scoop

Hot Lunch
01-11-2014, 05:02 PM
Just saw 1280 reporting on twitter that Dan Finn is out at the U. If true, no surprise here.