PDA

View Full Version : The Competition: PAC-12 Hoops 2016-17

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

concerned
02-06-2015, 01:34 PM
What is the "triangle?" In my day we chilled at Top Stop - that was living.

There are two that I know of : on Yale right above 15th east, next to red butte gully, or on Oneida and Parleys, down the street from Two Utes.

Diehard Ute
02-06-2015, 01:38 PM
There are two that I know of : on Yale right above 15th east, next to red butte gully, or on Oneida and Parleys, down the street from Two Utes.

The first one doesn't get much use any more. The second is the busier one.

The McDonald's has been the busiest, although it seems the businesses and neighbors are growing tired of it.

Scratch
02-06-2015, 01:53 PM
He had pretty good success at East without much talent. I think he's pretty good at teaching fundamentals, especially on defense. He would always lose in the state tournament, however, to teams that had simply scouted and prepared for the motion offense. He reminds me a lot of Giacoletti, actually: deer in headlights during games.

He never had a ton of talent, but he had decent talent. One of his problems was he couldn't move away from a big-dominated scheme even when all of his talent was shooters and wings. Then again, even when he had a D-1 big on his big-oriented team he didn't do too much.

Also, I suppose if you're comparing him to Skip Lowe then Rupp probably seems like a complete genius.

By the way, when were you at East?

Senioritis
02-06-2015, 03:42 PM
Somehow I missed that Kerry Rupp is an assistant at Oregon St.

AAARRRGGHHH! Now they are poaching our Interim Head Basketball Coaches from 12 years ago. Damn that Kalani Sitake!

SoCalPat
02-06-2015, 05:52 PM
I'm sure.

I have watched more Kerry Rupp coached basketball games than I care to remember (4 years at East plus half a season at the U). The guy is dynamite at skills development, conditioning, and implementing a system on offense and defense. He is a total disaster at game prep and in-game adjustments. Maybe he's overcome those faults by now, but he would have been a train wreck post-Majerus.

My memories of Kerry's "in-game adjustment" boils down to three instances (just a trip down memory lane to probably the 3 straight most enjoyable games in the post-Big Rick Era):

MWC semifinal against BYU: Up 1, shot clock off, 6 seconds to play. Utah ball. Coming out of a timeout, Cleveland inexplicably leaves Araujo on the floor with four fouls and Utah not in the bonus. Utah runs an inbounds play to bait Araujo into fouling out. With one more foul to commit to get Utah to the line, BYU doesn't get their defense set and Cheney dunks with a second left (assist Bogut, who should've been guarded by Araujo, now on the bench) as Utah win by 3.

MWC final: UNLV hits a 3 with 18 seconds left to tie the game. 90 percent of college coaches call a timeout here. Kerry didn't and we know what happened. Bedlam when Nick hit the 3.

NCAA first round vs. Boston College: How we let the shot clock expire in the closing seconds here, coming out of a timeout, burned my hide.

Applejack
02-06-2015, 06:00 PM
My memories of Kerry's "in-game adjustment" boils down to three instances (just a trip down memory lane to probably the 3 straight most enjoyable games in the post-Big Rick Era):

MWC semifinal against BYU: Up 1, shot clock off, 6 seconds to play. Utah ball. Coming out of a timeout, Cleveland inexplicably leaves Araujo on the floor with four fouls and Utah not in the bonus. Utah runs an inbounds play to bait Araujo into fouling out. With one more foul to commit to get Utah to the line, BYU doesn't get their defense set and Cheney dunks with a second left (assist Bogut, who should've been guarded by Araujo, now on the bench) as Utah win by 3.

MWC final: UNLV hits a 3 with 18 seconds left to tie the game. 90 percent of college coaches call a timeout here. Kerry didn't and we know what happened. Bedlam when Nick hit the 3.

NCAA first round vs. Boston College: How we let the shot clock expire in the closing seconds here, coming out of a timeout, burned my hide.

That's impressive if you did it from memory. The only thing I remember about the Kerry Rupp era was that every time I looked at the bench Kerry Rupp was there instead of Rick Majerus.

:cry:

SoCalPat
02-07-2015, 02:55 PM
That's impressive if you did it from memory. The only thing I remember about the Kerry Rupp era was that every time I looked at the bench Kerry Rupp was there instead of Rick Majerus.

:cry:

I had to look up some of the details, but I knew those three games were close. I distinctly remember the BYU game because I was living in SoCal and was able to listen to the end of the game on KSL at work in my car radio. Wrubell was speechless over how Cleve could've made such a massive floor management blunder at that point in the game. And of course, UNLV and BC stand out for entirely different reasons. Had Utah beaten BC, I think you gotta strongly entertain the idea of having Rupp be Majerus' successor.

LA Ute
02-07-2015, 03:08 PM
I had to look up some of the details, but I knew those three games were close. I distinctly remember the BYU game because I was living in SoCal and was able to listen to the end of the game on KSL at work in my car radio. Wrubell was speechless over how Cleve could've made such a massive floor management blunder at that point in the game. And of course, UNLV and BC stand out for entirely different reasons. Had Utah beaten BC, I think you gotta strongly entertain the idea of having Rupp be Majerus' successor.I think you're right (although I don't think Hill would've hired Rupp), and Kerry as Maji's successor is an interesting idea to speculate about, just for grins. How would Utah basketball have fared if Rupp had been hired? I think he would have failed but I wonder if he would have done so as quickly as Giac did? Would Bogut have come back for another year? Etc. I was watching that UNLV game with my two sons and none of us will ever forget that final in-bounds play that led to the Jacobsen trey. A great Ute basketball moment.

DrumNFeather
02-07-2015, 03:38 PM
ASU up on Arizona at the half.

DrumNFeather
02-07-2015, 04:25 PM
Officials calling this one tight, holy cow, feels like half the guys have 4 fouls.

sancho
02-07-2015, 04:41 PM
Thank you, Herb! Utes back in 1st place!

DrumNFeather
02-07-2015, 04:51 PM
ASU pulls off a massive upset and really helps us in the race for the league crown.

They did their best to give it away though.

Man, that is huge.

SeattleUte
02-07-2015, 04:54 PM
Nice arizona state!! Thank you!

LA Ute
02-07-2015, 05:39 PM
Officials calling this one tight, holy cow, feels like half the guys have 4 fouls.

I wonder if Arizona isn't at a disadvantage when the game is called that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sancho
02-07-2015, 05:45 PM

Arizona has more depth than most teams. You get Hollis-Jefferson, there's still Stanley Johnson. You get Tarzsewski, they still have Ashley.

Mormon Red Death
02-07-2015, 05:57 PM

You mean Arizona isn't unstoppable when they can't go over the back every time? Hmmm

Applejack
02-07-2015, 07:34 PM
LOL @ the mildcats. ASU is terrible this year. That's a bad loss (117 RPI). Hopefully we don't pull the same mistake tonight.

DrumNFeather
02-07-2015, 08:08 PM
The middle gets a little muddled as Cal downs UCLA.

U-Ute
02-09-2015, 01:37 PM
Attendance issues are plaguing the PAC-12 (http://www.ocregister.com/articles/conference-650590-pac-attendance.html)

Nice to see the Utes at 99% capacity tho.

jrj84105
02-09-2015, 01:50 PM
Original PAC8: cumulatively 42,872/game
Expansion PAC: cummulatively 41,83/game.

Arizona, Colorado, Utah, and ASU draw as many fans combined as the original PAC8 schools combined. This is a Mountain-Centric conference.

SoCalPat
02-09-2015, 01:50 PM
Attendance issues are plaguing the PAC-12 (http://www.ocregister.com/articles/conference-650590-pac-attendance.html)

Nice to see the Utes at 99% capacity tho.

That's Arizona. Utah is at 87 percent capacity.

U-Ute
02-09-2015, 01:57 PM
That's Arizona. Utah is at 87 percent capacity.

Drat. Misread it. Or my mind read what it wanted to.

Still, 87% capacity is awesome given where we were 3 years ago.

Dwight Schr-Ute
02-09-2015, 02:25 PM

The guys calling the Colorado game mentioned that all of the remaining home games are "essentially sold out."

LA Ute
02-09-2015, 03:10 PM

We're one of the three smallest markets in the PAC-12 (not sure how "metro" Tucson and "metro" Pullman -- if there are such markets -- compare to SLC, population-wise) but we are putting more butts in seats by far than anyone but Arizona.

U-Ute
02-09-2015, 03:11 PM
We're one of the three smallest markets in the PAC-12 (not sure how "metro" Tucson and "metro" Pullman -- if there are such markets -- compare to SLC, population-wise) but we are putting more butts in seats by far than anyone but Arizona.

Probably a function of success and alternatives. The Jazz are pretty mediocre this year.

DrumNFeather
02-12-2015, 08:06 AM
Oregon & UCLA both win last night, setting up an interesting showdown for the two of them over the weekend. Joe Lunardi has both of them in his first and next four out, so I suspect the winner gets a bump back into the dance (for now).

If we take care of business this weekend, it is very likely that we head to the Northwest with a 3 game lead over teams 3-6, which would be huge in the event of a stumble down the stretch.

DrumNFeather
02-13-2015, 07:38 AM
Looking at the basketball schedule this week, we go Wed-Sunday with at least 2 Pac 12 games on each day. That's cool.

Old Standing ute
02-14-2015, 05:47 PM
Just watched portion of USC/Ore St. Painfully bad basketball. I realize OSU is tough at home, but they lack talent.

They are doing well because they do not have to come here & take there 20+ point beat-down.

Dwight Schr-Ute
02-15-2015, 03:10 PM
Just watched portion of USC/Ore St. Painfully bad basketball. I realize OSU is tough at home, but they lack talent.

They are doing well because they do not have to come here & take there 20+ point beat-down.

How many walk-ons are the Beavers playing with this year? Isn't like four? That's insanity. One could argue that even in Larry's first year, he had more talent than that.

sancho
02-15-2015, 05:29 PM
Arizona up 53-19 at the half against WSU? Wow.

sancho
02-19-2015, 09:07 AM
ASU beats UCLA. The devils have wins over UCLA and Arizona this season. At first, I worried that we were going to have to play ASU at their peak, but then I remembered that Herb has a minimum of one and a maximum of two upsets wins written into his contract.

U-Ute
02-19-2015, 10:42 AM
ASU beats UCLA. The devils have wins over UCLA and Arizona this season. At first, I worried that we were going to have to play ASU at their peak, but then I remembered that Herb has a minimum of one and a maximum of two upsets wins written into his contract.

ASU beat them at home.

Utes should take note: road wins are precious few.

justaute
02-19-2015, 11:03 AM
Agreed. Of course, I'm sure K3 and the players are acutely aware of this. It's up to the players to execute and play hard.

ASU beat them at home.

Utes should take note: road wins are precious few.

chrisrenrut
02-21-2015, 08:51 PM
UCLA giving Arizona a game in Tucson. Arizona was up 14 at the half, but then only scored 4 points in the first 10 minutes of the 2nd half.

DrumNFeather
02-25-2015, 09:43 AM
I'll be interested to see what happens in the Oregon @ Cal game tonight. Cal to me is a really sneaky team, and I think they might be able to jump up and get someone in the conference tourney. Sitting at 6-8 in league play (8th spot), I could easily see them going 3-1 down the stretch to finish at 9-9. That would mean a sweep of the Oregon schools and a road win at ASU, but they seem to be on the rise a little bit (despite recently losing to us and Stanford).

On the Oregon side of the match up, they can all but guarantee themselves a first round bye with a win at Cal, and keep that strong momentum going into the conference tourney where, if the seeds all held, we'd get them in the semi-finals.

DrumNFeather
02-26-2015, 06:48 AM
So, Oregon UCLA and Wazzu win, which helps to clarify the bottom of the standings with USC clinching the 12 spot. Oregon can clinch a bye with a win over Stanford over the weekend, and really the only way they don't get there is to lose out. I don't see that happening.

sancho
03-01-2015, 01:58 PM
OSU and Cal neck and neck. Go bears. I want Larry K to win COY, so I hope Tinkle loses out.

Later today - go Ducks. I want our worst loss to be a top 50 RPI team, so I will root for Oregon and UCLA. Plus, I want BYU's win over Stanford to not count as top 50. Also, I just dislike Stanford.

sancho
03-02-2015, 08:42 AM
Any coaches on the hot seat in the conference this year?

Enfield? I'd fire him yesterday, but then I again, I would have never hired him.

Romar? He's had just enough tournament and recruiting success to hang around.

Dawkins? Hard to fire a guy who went to the sweet 16 just a year ago, even if he didn't lose anyone and is on the outside of the bubble.

311ute
03-02-2015, 09:07 AM

Enfield? I'd fire him yesterday, but then I again, I would have never hired him.

Dawkins? Hard to fire a guy who went to the sweet 16 just a year ago, even if he didn't lose anyone and is on the outside of the bubble.

Something to watch is the law suit up in Oregon… if it turns ugly Dana Altman could be out. You could make the case that he should’ve already been fired for it.

Other than that I don’t see anyone getting canned this offseason…. Enfield will get at least one more year (but I agree with you 100% on him), I think Dawkins and Romar are probably back next year (doesn’t Romar have some ridiculously long/big contract?).

SoCalPat
03-02-2015, 09:49 AM

USC has nine losses decided by 5 points or less or in OT on a team with no seniors. Enfield has everyone back next year and a highly-ranked incoming class (albeit only two players). He needs a top 8 finish in league and an NIT bid or he's gone.

Romar is safe. Has his big guns back and they'd be better if Upshaw didn't get booted from the team.

Dawkins should be safe. I think Stanford overachieved last year with the Sweet 16 bid and might underachieve this year by missing the Dance. Even under Monty they were wildly inconsistent, so this year shouldn't get Dawkins fired. But unless they're bringing in some studs, they're going to have a huge freefall next year by losing Randle, Nastic and Brown.

SoCalPat
03-02-2015, 09:53 AM

Quickie Hot Seat Ranking of Pac-12 hoops coaches:

12. Enfield, USC
11. Dawkins, Stanford
10. Alford, UCLA
9. Martin, Cal
8. Sendek, ASU
7. Romar, UW
6. Kent, WSU
5. Boyle, Colorado
4. Altman, Oregon
3. Tinkle, OSU
2. Miller, Arizona
1. Krystkowiak, Utah

311ute
03-02-2015, 09:59 AM
I know we’ll have all offseason to debate this, but looking ahead to next year I think we’re in great shape relative to our conference peers.

Arizona- Clearly the favorite heading into next year, but will take a step back. McConnell gone, Stanley Johnson gone, RHJ most likely gone. Outside chance Zeus and/or Ashley jumps. They reload however… have 4 commitments from top-100 guys. But still, I don’t see them being as good as they have been the last two years.

Oregon- Unless things blow up this offseason and Altman is fired (see my above post), I think Oregon will be a Tournament team next year. Lose Young and Abdul-Bassit, get everyone else back plus a couple big time recruits. They should be top-4 in conference.

UCLA- Lose Powell and Looney, bring back everyone else. But who else there is better than mediocre? With Parker, Alford, Hamilton, Welsh and a solid (currently 2 top-100 commits) recruiting class coming in, I expect them to be in the top half of the conference next year, but I don’t think they’ll be that much better than they’ve been this year.

Oregon St- Don’t lose anyone, bring in the two coaches’ sons. Tinkle can coach, I expect OSU to take that next step next year and compete for a NCAA Tourney bid, which would be their first since Gary Payton (the first) was around.

Cal- Kravish gone, and Tyrone Wallace most likely gone. Matthews and Bird are really good players though. I think Cal will be middle of the conference next year.

Stanford- Will take a big hit losing Randle, Brown and Nastic. Have some nice freshmen in Reid Travis, Michael Humphrey and Cartwright. But I see the Cardinal taking as big a step back next year as anyone in the conference.

Colorado- Will be a telling season for Tad Boyle. No one’s disappointed more than CU this year. They lose Booker, but are still a very young team. Josh Scott, X Johnson and Wesley Gordon are all nice players, but as bad as they’ve been this year it’s hard to pick them in the top half of the conference.

ASU- They lose McKissic, Gilling and Barnes, but return everyone else. They’ve been better than I expected them to be, but with Herb running the show I don’t see them being any better than middle to bottom in the league.

UW- Assuming Williams-Goss comes back, they should be better next year. Without Upshaw this year, they’re probably the second worst team in the league. They lose Kemp and Mike Anderson. Bottom half of the conference.

Wazzu- Losing Lacy will hurt. They also lose their big man, Railey, as well as Kernich-Drew. Bottom half of the conference.

USC- No seniors on the roster, and have two top-100 guys coming in next year. But will it matter? Enfield has shown to be just an awful coach, they play with no purpose whatsoever. From a talent perspective it appears that USC is due for a breakout year next year, but I’ll believe it when I see it. They’ve been by far the worst team in the conference for the past two years.

Now obviously A LOT can and will change before next season (spring signing period, transfers, draft entrees). But assuming Poeltl comes back, I really like our chances at being a top-4 team in the conference next year, and possibly competing for a championship.

I think Poeltl and Chapman make huge strides from this year to next. I think a frontcourt of Chapman/Poeltl with Reyes, JO and Mawien off the bench will be very solid. Senior class of Taylor, Tucker, Loveridge and JO will anchor us. I’m excited/interested to see what I. Wright, Ogbe, Kuzma and Bealer can give us. If one or two of those guys can step up and give us some good production next year, I think we have the chance to as good as this year, if not better.

justaute
03-02-2015, 10:19 AM
Yah...I thhink P12 will get tougher in the coming years. Just about every program seems to be recruiting pretty well. It'll be interesting to see how our young Utes develop and what recruits K3 will be able to bring in.

DrumNFeather
03-05-2015, 12:57 PM
In an interesting move, Tad Boyle said that any players who don't live on campus during the summer will not be welcomed back to the team.

"As a coach, I trust these players and maybe I've trusted them too much," he said. "Now, that leash is going to be tightened."For those players who want to remain on the team, their summer is going to be spent in Boulder.
"Their summertime is my summertime," Boyle said. "This year they're here and they're going to be with (strength coach James) Hardy and they're going to be two hours a week in the gym with the coaching staff. We're going to use the time allowed by the NCAA to get better and to commit to making sure that we don't go through another year like this. That's what's going to change."

U-Ute
03-05-2015, 02:36 PM
In an interesting move, Tad Boyle said that any players who don't live on campus during the summer will not be welcomed back to the team.

[/FONT][/COLOR]

This is where the "Cost Of Attendance" issue gets interesting. Do ultimatums like this get calculated in because they don't get scholarship checks in the summer.

DrumNFeather
03-05-2015, 08:22 PM
Arizona up 20, looks like they will capture the regular season crown. Well deserved, they are a heck of a team.

Washington is trying to erase a double digit lead vs. Colorado...they've hit back to back threes to cut it to 8.

DrumNFeather
03-05-2015, 08:57 PM
Apparently Hollis Jefferson, who has the stupidest free throw routine in college basketball, took a shot to his shoulder against Cal tonight and went straight to the locker room. He's back on the bench now but has a big wrap on his shoulder.

sancho
03-05-2015, 08:59 PM
Apparently Hollis Jefferson, who has the stupidest free throw routine in college basketball, took a shot to his shoulder against Cal tonight and went straight to the locker room. He's back on the bench now but has a big wrap on his shoulder.

I think he should take 10 days off to recover.

DrumNFeather
03-05-2015, 09:07 PM
I think he should take 10 days off to recover.
You can't be too careful!

DrumNFeather
03-05-2015, 10:03 PM
ASU handing it to Stanford right now.

DrumNFeather
03-05-2015, 10:54 PM
ASU handing it to Stanford right now.

Stanford starts the second half on a 21-10 run.

SoCalPat
03-09-2015, 08:31 AM
My all-league honors:

POY: Delon Wright

COY: Dana Altman

First-team all-Pac 12 (10 players): Wright, Stanley Johnson (AZ), Joseph Young (Oregon), T.J. McConnell (AZ), Chasson Randle (Stanford), Askia Booker (Colorado), Norman Powell (UCLA), Josh Hawkinson (Wazzu), Nigel Williams-Goss (UW), Rondae Hollis-Jefferson (AZ)

Defensive POY: Delon Wright

Newcomer of the year: Stanley Johnson, AZ

Most improved: Josh Hawkinson, Wazzu

concerned
03-09-2015, 09:08 AM
My all-league honors:

POY: Delon Wright

COY: Dana Altman

First-team all-Pac 12 (10 players): Wright, Stanley Johnson (AZ), Joseph Young (Oregon), T.J. McConnell (AZ), Chasson Randle (Stanford), Askia Booker (Colorado), Norman Powell (UCLA), Josh Hawkinson (Wazzu), Nigel Williams-Goss (UW), Rondae Hollis-Jefferson (AZ)

Defensive POY: Delon Wright

Newcomer of the year: Stanley Johnson, AZ

Most improved: Josh Hawkinson, Wazzu

I had forgotten until this morning that UO had several players, including starters, kicked off the team last summer for legal reasons, and UO was left for dead. Altman did more with less and should be COY. LK lost it the last three weeks.

sancho
03-09-2015, 09:18 AM
I had forgotten until this morning that UO had several players, including starters, kicked off the team last summer for legal reasons, and UO was left for dead. Altman did more with less and should be COY. LK lost it the last three weeks.

Larry did lose it.

With Altman, it was more a case of the media overestimating the effect of off-season turmoil. They always seem to think arrests will affect how a team plays, despite a million counterexamples. Altman had plenty to work with.

I guess it's either Altman or Miller.

UtahsMrSports
03-09-2015, 09:47 AM
Altman is under major fire for allowing players to finish the season despite being investigated for gang rape. That will cost him votes. But at the same time, Utah has fizzled a little bit. OSU didn't win enough and Miller is a boring choice.

Mormon Red Death
03-09-2015, 11:29 AM
The honors (http://pac-12.com/article/2015/03/09/2014-15-pac-12-conference-mens-basketball-honors) are out.

Joe Young POY
Altman Coach of they Year

SoCalPat
03-09-2015, 11:35 AM
The honors (http://pac-12.com/article/2015/03/09/2014-15-pac-12-conference-mens-basketball-honors) are out.

Joe Young POY
Altman Coach of they Year

That's some bullshit right there on Young as POY.

SoCalPat
03-09-2015, 11:38 AM
Brandon Taylor voted second-team All-Pac-12. Well done! I didn't think he'd get that kind of recognition, but he did. Also honorable mention all-defense.

Poeltl all-frosh, Delon all-defense.

mpfunk
03-09-2015, 12:41 PM

It really looks like the Pac-12 outsourced the POY vote to the BBWAA. The COY absolutely went to the right coach. Altman was much more deserving of the award.

DrumNFeather
03-09-2015, 12:56 PM

I wonder how much the final game played into it.

I'll give Young some credit here, ever since his proclamation that they were going to the tourney, Oregon has been on a tear. That said, feels like a career award more than anything if you're going to give it to him.

SoCalPat
03-09-2015, 01:13 PM
I wonder how much the final game played into it.

I'll give Young some credit here, ever since his proclamation that they were going to the tourney, Oregon has been on a tear. That said, feels like a career award more than anything if you're going to give it to him.

He's been at Oregon as many years as Delon at Utah.

DrumNFeather
03-09-2015, 01:24 PM
He's been at Oregon as many years as Delon at Utah.

Is that right? I didn't know that. Awarding it to him just doesn't make any sense to me, so I just figured that might be it. You either give it to Delon or someone on Arizona.

sancho
03-09-2015, 03:01 PM

One little win against UW, and Utah wins both COY and POY. Maybe? When were the votes cast?

Diehard Ute
03-09-2015, 03:10 PM
Pat is right. Two years for Young at Oregon. It's a poor choice.

The only statistical categories Young really wins are PPG, and FT%.

Young has less assists with 18 more turnovers and a lower FG % (and he took far more 3's)

Also seems odd a guy who makes 1st team and 1st team defense loses out.

While Oregon won their home game against Utah. Wright out played Young by a large margin.

DrumNFeather
03-17-2015, 08:54 PM
Colorado's Booker essentially quits the team in advance of the CBI...refusing to play in the postseason tournament.

311ute
03-24-2015, 08:17 AM
Looks like Sendek could be out at ASU. He's meeting with the AD at 9:45 this morning to discuss the future of the program. Interesting considering they gave him a one-year extension before the year started. Plus, IMO this year was his best coaching job since he's been at ASU.

That being said I really hope they don't fire him. A competent coach could have some success in Tempe.

NorthwestUteFan
03-24-2015, 02:24 PM
They should hire Archie Miller. That would be fun. Plus, he used to be am assistant to Sendek.

DrumNFeather
03-24-2015, 09:06 PM
They should hire Archie Miller. That would be fun. Plus, he used to be am assistant to Sendek.
Wouldn't that be something?

SoCalPat
03-25-2015, 08:04 PM

That alone would probably keep either side from pursuing each other.

NorthwestUteFan
03-25-2015, 08:29 PM
That alone would probably keep either side from pursuing each other.

Dayton is a better job right now. It certainly would be better to avoid always competing with his big brother, as he would at ASU.

Mormon Red Death
03-25-2015, 08:37 PM
Dayton compeats with Xavier and Cincinnati and to a little later extent Louisville.

DrumNFeather
03-27-2015, 12:44 PM
Steve Lavin and St. Johns are parting ways. Gotta wonder if he jumps to the top of ASU's list.

chrisrenrut
04-03-2015, 06:29 AM
Stanford beats Miami in OT to win the NIT. So that's something, I guess.

DrumNFeather
04-03-2015, 08:33 AM

Sweeping the NIT champs...put that in the media guide for next year!

Two Utes
04-03-2015, 10:06 AM

21012 Stanfor is NIT champ
2014 they make it to the sweet sixteen.
2015 they are NIT champ.

Would anybody here not take that 4 year run?

Scratch
04-03-2015, 10:33 AM
21012 Stanfor is NIT champ
2014 they make it to the sweet sixteen.
2015 they are NIT champ.

Would anybody here not take that 4 year run?

You mean from where we are right now? If we only make the tournament once in the next 4 years I will be incredibly disappointed, even if we can claim to win the tournament establishing the 47th best team in the country.

Two Utes
04-03-2015, 11:02 AM
You mean from where we are right now? If we only make the tournament once in the next 4 years I will be incredibly disappointed, even if we can claim to win the tournament establishing the 47th best team in the country.

I meant the last four years. That would be a very nice run. Don't think that Dawkins is going to get fired any time soon.

311ute
04-03-2015, 12:24 PM
I meant the last four years. That would be a very nice run. Don't think that Dawkins is going to get fired any time soon.

As a Ute fan, I hope they keep Dawkins as long as possible. Stanford made the Tournament 13 of the previous 14 years before they hired him. Since he's been HC... they've made one NCAA Tourney appearance in 7 years. Talk about underachieving.

Just like with Herb Sendek, I say we start the #keepDawkins campaign!

BTW, they're going to take a big step back next year.... Randle, Nastic, and Brown all gone. Good luck with that.

Scratch
04-03-2015, 12:25 PM

Yes, I'd have been ecstatic with that for the Utes of the last 4 years. However, 4 years ago Stanford and Dawkins were in a much better position than Utah and LK. At that point, Dawkins was three years in, so the program was just about all his with players he had brought in (and that was after he had replaced Trent Johnson, who took Stanford to the tournament 3 times in 4 years, including the Sweet Sixteen in his last year. Given that background, I would not be satisfied with one NCAA tournament appearance and two NIT championships in 4 years. I'm not terribly impressed with Dawkins; if had done that at Utah he'd be on a very hot seat.

SoCalPat
04-03-2015, 05:02 PM
As a Ute fan, I hope they keep Dawkins as long as possible. Stanford made the Tournament 13 of the previous 14 years before they hired him. Since he's been HC... they've made one NCAA Tourney appearance in 7 years. Talk about underachieving.

Just like with Herb Sendek, I say we start the #keepDawkins campaign!

BTW, they're going to take a big step back next year.... Randle, Nastic, and Brown all gone. Good luck with that.

95 percent of Stanford's notable hoops history came under Mike Montgomery. They didn't earn their first non-wartime NCAA win until 1995. That 1997 team we beat in the Sweet 16? First time Stanford ever won two games in the NCAA tournament.

Two Utes is right. Dawkins ain't getting fired anytime soon.

DrumNFeather
04-07-2015, 05:38 PM
Capel turns down ASU.

311ute
04-08-2015, 08:47 AM
That's probably good news for us. Capel is a recruiter, and he may have been able to convince some of those kids to swing back to ASU.

I wonder who their next target is.

According to ESPN (Jeff Goodman), they're now talking to New Mexico State's HC Marvin Menzies and former ASU assistant (current Rice assistant) Scott Pera.

Not exactly brand names.

Old Standing ute
04-09-2015, 12:51 PM
Bobby Hurley?

U-Ute
04-09-2015, 04:02 PM
Bobby Hurley to ASU.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25142538/arizona-state-hires-bobby-hurley

LA Ute
04-09-2015, 04:27 PM
Bobby Hurley to ASU.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25142538/arizona-state-hires-bobby-hurley

I think the competition in our conference just got a little tougher.

U-Ute
04-09-2015, 04:59 PM
I think the competition in our conference just got a little tougher.

The level of competition in all sports seems to have skyrocketed since we joined the league.

I like to think we can take some credit for that.

concerned
04-09-2015, 05:10 PM
Bobby Hurley to ASU.

I wonder if there is a provision in his contract that requires him to keep the distraction curtain on opposing free throws.

SoCalPat
04-09-2015, 08:20 PM
Someday, someone from the Coach K tree will become a great head coach. It's just the law of averages.

Mike Brey already qualifies.

Jarid in Cedar
04-09-2015, 09:25 PM
Mike Brey already qualifies.

As does Tommy Amaker, IMO. He was decent at Seton Hall and Michigan, and has had a stellar run at Harvard.

DrumNFeather
04-10-2015, 06:13 AM
As does Tommy Amaker, IMO. He was decent at Seton Hall and Michigan, and has had a stellar run at Harvard.

Chris Collins will probably get Northwestern to the big dance and if he does that, they might just build a statue of him.

LA Ute
04-10-2015, 03:15 PM
Nigel WG transferring from uw. A couple other players too.

I wonder if Romar is finally in some deep trouble.

311ute
04-15-2015, 03:26 PM
Here are the season attendance numbers for the conference. Overall, attendance was up 2%. For the second straight year we come in second in overall attendance. OSU saw the biggest jump (34.52%) in year-over-year attendance. We went up over 18% for the second straight year.

Capacity
2014-15
% of capacity
2013-14
% increase(decrease)

UA
99.6%
1.65%

Utah
80.7%
18.52%

Colorado
87.0%
0.76%

Cal
67.3%
6.70%

UCLA
55.9%
-3.57%

UW
63.6%
-0.26%

Oregon
50.3%
-16.56%

ASU
55.7%
-12.44%

OSU
54.8%
34.52%

Stanford
69.2%
1.69%

USC
34.6%
-19.50%

WSU
27.3%
12.93%

NorthwestUteFan
04-15-2015, 06:08 PM
Nigel WG transferring from uw. A couple other players too.

I will be supremely disappointed in NWG if he transfers to UNLV. He turned down Harvard for UW, and UNLV is barely a community college by comparison. Even Texas (his other option) is well below UW academically.

I wonder if Romar is finally in some deep trouble.

It is about time. He is a good guy and is an alum, but despite the two Sweet-16 appearances a few years ago he seems to underachieve. Losing to WSU in the Hec this year perhaps should have been the final straw.

U-Ute
04-18-2015, 03:18 PM
Bogus. I don't believe that Stanford has ever hosted a sporting event at 69.2% capacity.

Every person counts as two since their ego takes up a seat as well.

311ute
04-23-2015, 04:14 PM
Tyrone Wallace announces he's staying at Cal. Cal should be a top 5 team in the conference next year, and a likely Tournament team.

Stanley Johnson will (reportedly) announce that he's entering the NBA Draft. Arizona also lost out on the nation's #1 recruit (from Drexel) earlier today. He was expected to be Johnson's replacement.

Arizona will still be loaded with talent next year, but losing 4 of 5 starters will hurt. I still expect them to be the favorite in the conference, but the door is certainly more open now than it has been in some time for the Utes to grab a conference championship.

LA Ute
05-04-2015, 11:00 AM
I changed the thread name so it is now current.

Diehard Ute
05-13-2015, 11:54 AM
Pac-12 in China article:

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/05/12/pac-12-basketball-china-washington-texas-2015

I'm not a fan of this.

I can't wrap my mind around the conference talking about kids being students first and athletes second and then endorsing games in China and bowl games in Australia. (At least the bowl game usually occurs during winter break)

The conference claiming it's about giving kids a chance to go to China makes me laugh.

justaute
05-13-2015, 12:03 PM
That's a good one, sancho.

SoCalPat
05-13-2015, 03:39 PM
I'm not a fan of this.

I can't wrap my mind around the conference talking about kids being students first and athletes second and then endorsing games in China and bowl games in Australia. (At least the bowl game usually occurs during winter break)

The conference claiming it's about giving kids a chance to go to China makes me laugh.

The hypocrisy espoused by athletics administrators and the NCAA was evident long before these games were announced. Trouble is, the only thing #realfans want to know is if these games will start at a decent enough hour in China to be broadcast in primetime hours here in the States.

justaute
05-13-2015, 04:00 PM
Absolutely agree.

The hypocrisy espoused by athletics administrators and the NCAA was evident long before these games were announced. Trouble is, the only thing #realfans want to know is if these games will start at a decent enough hour in China to be broadcast in primetime hours here in the States.

NorthwestUteFan
05-13-2015, 08:30 PM
I agree, but the Mark Twain quote is not 100% a joke. A trip to China may very well be worth more to a student than a week of class. Athletes, especially basketball players, miss a lot of class, but they don't necessarily have a hard time getting jobs. Their experiences as athletes are impressive and cool, and I think a lot of employers understand that.

100% agree. They will have the experience of a lifetime in China. Maybe they will take some of the tutors with them so they can also have the experience of a lifetime.

LA Ute
11-04-2015, 12:15 PM
The very entertaining and insightful Pac-12 Hoops blog is active again:

2015-16 Stanford Basketball Preview: The same but the same (http://pachoops.com/2015/11/2015-16-stanford-basketball-preview-the-same-but-the-same/)

311ute
11-04-2015, 03:30 PM
Some injury updates around the conference, there have been some major ones:

Stanford has lost two starters: PG Robert Cartwright is out of the year after suffering a compound fracture in his arm. Marcus Allen is out (probably not for the year, but a good amount of time) with a stress fracture in his foot.

Oregon is also down two starters: PG (Villanova transfer) Dylan Ennis is out for "awhile" according to Dana Altman. Appears to be a broken foot. Jordan Bell is also out for an undisclosed amount of time.

Arizona lost potential starter and top-30 recruit Ray Smith for the year with an ACL tear.

Colorado will most likely be without Xavier Johnson for most the year. He tore his Achilles in the off-season.

Old Standing ute
11-04-2015, 09:51 PM
Cartwright was a really strange player.

LA Ute
11-05-2015, 09:42 AM
The PAC-12 Hoops preview of Cal:

http://pachoops.com/2015/11/2015-16-california-basketball-preview-the-great-golden-hype/

U-Ute
11-27-2015, 08:11 PM
Cal loses to Richmond 94-90. They have now lost 2 in a row.

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-03-2015, 03:22 PM
Oh goody! Look who our coaching staff gets to face off with on January 17.

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2015/12/noah_togiai_to_join_oregon_sta.html

Old Standing ute
12-03-2015, 09:12 PM
UCLA 87 KY 77.

Thomas Welsh who Poeltl dominated last year played out of his mind.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
12-08-2015, 02:19 AM
Very cool game today at Pearl Harbor joint base. I'm not sold on this Oregon team being deep enough to make noise in the P12, but they play with a lot of heart. Aloha.

chrisrenrut
12-08-2015, 08:16 AM
Very cool game today at Pearl Harbor joint base. I'm not sold on this Oregon team being deep enough to make noise in the P12, but they play with a lot of heart. Aloha.

That sounds like an awesome experience. Plus, once the game is over, hey! your in Hawaii!

Tickets to the games were not available for public purchase. Most of the crowd was made up of service members -- either active duty or retired, including a number of Pearl Harbor survivors. They were honored with standing ovations during numerous television timeouts.

SoCalPat
12-08-2015, 09:16 AM

You of all people, down on Dana. I'm surprised. Oregon overachieving every year is pretty much the safest bet on the board when handicapping the Pac-12.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
12-08-2015, 09:21 AM
You of all people, down on Dana. I'm surprised. Oregon overachieving every year is pretty much the safest bet on the board when handicapping the Pac-12.

No not down on Dana in the least, right now he's playing 6 guys. If Enis and Bell aren't back and in shape by P12 you can't coach a 6 man rotation to the top of the conference. You can see that 8 games into the season the guys are already getting gassed, get to 20 with no relief? Yikes.

Dana is as good of coach as exist in college basketball. I thank the Lord and Uncle Phil for him daily.

LA Ute
12-29-2015, 12:10 PM
PAC-12 Hoops has us ranked 2nd in the conference, with the point guard caveat we are all aware of:

Poeltl is the clear cut favorite for Pac-12 Player of the Year which presumably would have these guys as serious contenders to win the Pac. But Brandon Taylor’s woes don’t seem to be particularly improving which really just means we need to start paying closer attention to Lorenzo Bonam (his 127 Ortg and 10/3/3 are roughly equal to Taylor’s 2015 118 10/3/3).

http://pachoops.com/2015/12/week-7-pachoops-pac-12-power-rankings-from-abroad/

LA Ute
12-30-2015, 01:00 AM
Interesting Goon article on the overal strength of, and parity in, the PAC-12. Snippet:

Big-time non-conference results are driving the Pac-12's rise in prestige this year. Ranked the No. 2 conference by RPI, No. 2 in non-conference win percentage (.779) and the No. 3 conference by KenPom ratings, the Pac-12 has proven to be bursting with dangerous teams capable of knocking off top 25 programs on any given night.

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/3359615-155/utah-mens-basketball-pac-12s-depth-better

DrumNFeather
01-01-2016, 09:00 PM
USC goes to +1 with a road win at Wazzu.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

LA Ute
01-03-2016, 10:16 PM
Ucla joins us at 0-2.

And they are ranked #25, IIRC. There's perspective in those facts.

DrumNFeather
01-04-2016, 07:16 AM
My kids were sick this weekend, so I nerded out a little bit and put together a spreadsheet of the entire Pac 12 Standings and schedule. Teams get a +1 for a road win and a -1 for a home loss. Here are the results so far:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YVa1klXB1HU3c8w88VYA10JPXd5O8jGFUr--iFc3F-s/edit?usp=sharing

(Let me know if that doesn't work)

Bottom line:

Teams at +1 after this weekend:

Arizona, Colorado, USC

Teams at -1 after this weekend:

WSU, Stanford, ASU

As the season wears on, I'll probably add RPI and SOS to this to evaluate each team's chance at the big dance.

LA Ute
01-04-2016, 08:50 AM
I don't care if it's on the road, Stanford is at least a -1. In this year's brutal Pac 12, that's one game a contender must win.

That Stanford choke is going to come back to haunt us, I'm afraid.

DrumNFeather
01-04-2016, 09:25 AM
That Stanford choke is going to come back to haunt us, I'm afraid.

It may, but it's early. We've got a huge home stand coming up against the Oregon duo after the Colorado game that will be big. UCLA sitting at 0-2 makes me wonder if yet again it's going to be Arizona and everyone else.

DrumNFeather
01-05-2016, 09:27 AM
As of today, everyone in the league save WSU is in the RPI top 100 and 8 of them are in the RPI Top 50 (long ways to go).

Best RPI: Oregon - 19
Worst RPI: WSU - 122

Utes: 31

Best SOS: Stanford - 12
Worst SOS: Arizona - 206

Utes: 52

It's early.

DrumNFeather
01-06-2016, 09:11 PM
Oregon wins at home vs. Cal.

Stanford at OSU just tipped.

DrumNFeather
01-07-2016, 06:09 AM
Stanford wins @ OSU, so that technically for now cancels out their home loss vs. the Buffs.

Arizona schools visit UCLA, USC tonight.

DrumNFeather
01-07-2016, 08:49 PM
Meanwhile in Los Angeles...

UCLA leading Arizona by 8 with 3:29 to go...

DrumNFeather
01-07-2016, 08:56 PM
Meanwhile in Los Angeles...

UCLA leading Arizona by 8 with 3:29 to go...

And UCLA blows the lead tie game with 40 seconds to go.

DrumNFeather
01-07-2016, 09:04 PM
Alford at the Buzzer!

UCLA 87
Arizona 84

The number 1 seed in the Pac 12 tourney may have at least 3 losses, if not 4.

EutawStUtesFan
01-07-2016, 09:15 PM
Road wins are going to be hard to come by in this conference.

U-Ute
01-08-2016, 09:00 AM
I heard there was an epic take by Walton on Alford: "That is one of the 5 worst possessions in UCLA history."

That's awesome.

DrumNFeather
01-08-2016, 09:44 AM
3 games in...just three games in, everyone has a loss except for Washington. This league is going to cannibalize itself, but when looking at RPIs and SOS rankings, I expect a number of teams in our league to get in the dance, including the Utes baby!

DrumNFeather
01-09-2016, 08:06 PM
USC tops Arizona in 4 OT. What a wild year so far.

justaute
01-09-2016, 08:53 PM
I still remember when many on UFN made fun of USC and its new coach. People are so quick to judge. Well, fan(atics) clearly know better.

justaute
01-09-2016, 09:28 PM
That hire had about a 5% chance of working, but even lottery tickets pay off sometimes. If it does work, Haden is more lucky than smart.

I didn't have a clue what his success rate was at the time of Enfield's hire, nor do I have any idea now. That said, what he did at FGCU, however brief, was quite impressive. If ADs only hired proven talent, then that would be myopic and parochial. Now, Enfield might still fail -- life goes on. Hill had a couple of duds after Maj. As if the general population would know that much better; perhaps a few individuals did. Maybe you are of them. Oh well.

DrumNFeather
01-09-2016, 09:51 PM
Cal loses again.

justaute
01-09-2016, 09:52 PM
I am one of them, but we are legion.

Curious...if Haden does indeed get "lucky", then what was the lucky part? Haden's hiring decision or Enfield's performance? Or both?

DrumNFeather
01-11-2016, 06:59 AM
After this past weekend, here's how things look:

Washington (3-0) (+1 - Road win @WSU) @ASU, @Arizona this week.
USC (3-1) (+1 - Road win @WSU, home win vs. Arizona should be valuable as well) vs. UCLA this week.
Oregon (2-1) (0 - Held serve at home vs. Cal/Stanford) @ Utah, Colorado this week.
OSU (2-1) (-1 - Lost to Stanford at home) @ Utah, Colorado this week
Cal (2-2) (0 - Won two contests at home, lost two on the road) @ Stanford this week
UCLA (2-2) (0 - Won two at home, lost two on the road - home win vs. Arizona) vs. USC this week
Stanford (2-2) (0 - Lost a home game, won a road game) vs. Cal this week
Arizona (1-2) (+1 won at ASU, swept by UCLA/USC) vs. Wash, WSU this week
Utah (1-2) (+1 won at Colorado) vs. Oregon, OSU this week
Colorado (1-2) (0 - won at Stanford, lost at home to Utah) vs. Oregon, OSU this week
WSU (1-2) (-2 - lost two games at home so far) @ASU, Arizona this week
ASU (0-3) (-1 - lost at home to Arizona) vs. Wash, WSU this week.

The Pac 12 currently has 9 teams in the RPI top 50, and one of the teams that's not, Washington, should make a jump with the Arizona schools up this week.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YVa1klXB1HU3c8w88VYA10JPXd5O8jGFUr--iFc3F-s/edit?usp=sharing

DrumNFeather
01-11-2016, 09:35 AM
How did this happen? All of a sudden, we have an extremely strong group of coaches in this conference. Krystko, Miller, Alford, Altman, Tinkle, Hurley, Boyle, Enfield. Maybe Kent. Plus Romar and Martin who are known as recruiters. Only Dawkins is on anything close to a hot seat.

If we hold serve at home this week, I will be back to believing in our tournament potential. 0-2, and I will start hoping we at least make the NIT.

The latest bracketology has 8 Pac 12 teams in the dance, and I think two more among the first or next four out. Has Utah as a #7 seed.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-13-2016, 09:59 PM
With Arizona's injuries, maybe it would have been better had the Cats pulled off the win against USC. The Trojans giving the Bruins the business. Up by 18 at the half.

justaute
01-13-2016, 10:31 PM
USC is still handling the Bruins at Pauley. 64-52 with ~12 minutes left.

Jarid in Cedar
01-13-2016, 11:21 PM
Colorado put a beat down on Oregon State. Led by Josh Scott with 25

SeattleUte
01-14-2016, 12:02 AM
Trojans up to 4-1. Wow.

This is not surprising, and get used to it. USC has been recruiting like crazy for three years--a constellation of blue chippers. It is loaded with athleticism and basketball ability. Three years ago its new coach was a great get who had taken a tiny Florida school most of us had never heard of to the Sweet 16. USC has every natural advantage, so it will continue to out-recruit most of the Pac 12. I'm worried about Alford's job security, scared of USC, and LAUte is once again wrong. The giant is stirring!

LA Ute
01-14-2016, 07:12 AM
This is not surprising, and get used to it. USC has been recruiting like crazy for three years--a constellation of blue chippers. It is loaded with athleticism and basketball ability. Three years ago its new coach was a great get who had taken a tiny Florida school most of us had never heard of to the Sweet 16. USC has every natural advantage, so it will continue to out-recruit most of the Pac 12. I'm worried about Alford's job security, scared of USC, and LAUte is once again wrong. The giant is stirring!

LOL I was waiting for this. You may be right. I'm probably less credulous than you are when it comes to USC basketball. In a way both you and I need to be more open to the possibility of change. You think Utah must continue to win and recruit "the way we have for the last 40 years," and I don't think USC basketball will be any more of a sleeping giant that it has been for the last 40 years. Maybe some things just aren't as static as you and I both think they are.

NorthwestUteFan
01-14-2016, 07:38 AM
The difference is this time around, USC has a coach with a smoking hot wife. That makes all the difference.

DrumNFeather
01-14-2016, 08:29 AM
USC is in a good position to hit the turn at 7-2 (outside shot at 8-1). They are 4-1 now with 2 of those wins being on the road. They'll be off this weekend before heading to the Oregon schools where, even if they get a split they come home and have a very good shot at a 3-o stretch vs. the Washington Schools and UCLA.

DrumNFeather
01-15-2016, 06:47 AM
This weekend marks the last of the first group of byes, and then after that we'll go two weeks (4 games) where everyone plays before starting up the byes again. 4 teams are above .500 in league play and the rest are at or below .500, so there's a ton of work for everyone left to do. We continue to have a strong conference RPI, with 8 teams in the RPI top 50, and only one team (Arizona) with a SOS over 100.

This weekend's games won't add a ton of clarity, though I'm interested to see if Oregon goes into Colorado and does what they did to us. I'm also interested to see how Washington bounces back vs. ASU.

Oregon St. is a must win.

DrumNFeather
01-18-2016, 09:06 AM
Big week in league play as everyone is in action for both sets of games.

USC/UCLA visit Oregon/Oregon St.
Utah/Colorado visit Wash/WSU
Arizona/ASU visit Cal/Stanford

The league continues to have strong RPIs across the board with 9 teams in the top 50 of the RPI (and Washington is sitting at #51).

Wazzu has a terrible RPI in the 140s...which really makes that a game we can't/should not lose. They hung in with Arizona for a while, but Arizona ultimately pulled away.

USC/Oregon will be a huge game atop the standings, and it feels like Arizona has a great opportunity with two winnable road games.

DrumNFeather
01-21-2016, 06:29 AM
UCLA picks up a road win and is now 3-3 in the league and CU drops to 3-3, with Washington going to 5-1.

OSU may be on the verge of a serious skid in league play (vs. USC, @ASU, @Arizona). Could easily be 2-7 when we head there in a few weeks.

chrisrenrut
01-21-2016, 11:14 PM
So we are +1, with two road wins and one home loss. We are in a 5-way tie for 5th place right now.

After the Orgon loss, I was about to abandon my PAC-12 tournament ticket order. I'm feeling a bit better about it now, hopefully on a trajectory that has us avoiding a Wednesday game and a good chance to win one on Thursday.

DrumNFeather
01-22-2016, 07:23 AM
Of all the teams that have traveled to Pullman, each has won except for UCLA...talk about losses that come back to haunt you.

This weekend should be interesting. You would think Arizona would beat a wounded Cal (which would put them at 5-2 and +3 for Road wins. Oregon Should beat UCLA at home (5-2). Colorado should get the win in Pullman (4-3). ASU @ Stanford looks like a toss up to me. USC visits OSU (They should win that). The Utes probably have the biggest opportunity of the weekend if they can somehow find a way to win in Seattle. Otherwise we stay muddled in the middle.

Diehard Ute
01-22-2016, 09:51 AM
Oregon should be forced to forfeit every home game so we don't have to see that god awful court

NorthwestUteFan
01-22-2016, 03:02 PM
Oregon should be forced to forfeit every home game so we don't have to see that god awful court

That court is so bad that God says, "Yeah, before you call that court 'god-awful' just know that I didn't have anything to do with it..."

DrumNFeather
01-23-2016, 08:38 PM
Cal beats Arizona. Both now 4-3.

DrumNFeather
01-24-2016, 05:41 PM
Osu beats usc. If we win tonight, 50% of the conference will be 4-3.
Big opportunity, especially with Cal and Stanford coming to town.

DrumNFeather
01-25-2016, 06:12 AM
And cal without Wallace, right?

Yep.

DrumNFeather
01-27-2016, 08:49 AM
DNF Standings projection and +/- at the turn:

Oregon: 6-3 (+2)
Arizona: 6-3 (+2)
USC: 6-3 (+2)
Colorado: 6-3 (+1)
Utah: 6-3 (+2)
Wash: 5-4 (+1)
UCLA: 5-4 (0)
Cal: 4-5 (0)
Stan: 4-5 (-1)
OSU: 3-6 (-2)
ASU: 2-7 (-3)
WSU: 1-8 (-4)

Mormon Red Death
01-28-2016, 07:55 PM
I gotta be honest... I love the curtain of distraction

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

DrumNFeather
01-28-2016, 08:51 PM
Washington blowing UCLA out in the first half.

DrumNFeather
01-28-2016, 09:00 PM
And, Oregon is about to pick up a big road win in Tuscon.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-28-2016, 09:26 PM
Michael Phelps makes an appearance in the Curtain of Distraction tonight. Kid went 0-2.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160129/9fdcb40d6310f5076a0854fcf5753d67.jpg

DrumNFeather
01-28-2016, 09:59 PM
Washington blowing UCLA out in the first half.

Game is tied with 3 min to go.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
01-28-2016, 10:36 PM
And, Oregon is about to pick up a big road win in Tuscon.

I'm so in love with this team. Deep, smart, athletic, well coached and they play fun basketball.

SoCalPat
01-29-2016, 09:07 AM
If the Pac 12 gets just 7 teams into the tournament, we'll look at this weekend as the tipping off point. OSU losing at Arizona State and the two leaders each winning on the road is starting to create some separation. We can get Stanford ready to be thrown off the bandwagon with a win tonight -- their schedule the rest of the way might be good for two wins.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-29-2016, 11:43 AM
If the Pac 12 gets just 7 teams into the tournament, we'll look at this weekend as the tipping off point. OSU losing at Arizona State and the two leaders each winning on the road is starting to create some separation. We can get Stanford ready to be thrown off the bandwagon with a win tonight -- their schedule the rest of the way might be good for two wins.

Unfortunately, it looks very improbable that we beat Stanford tonight.

Mormon Red Death
01-29-2016, 01:10 PM
Unfortunately, it looks very improbable that we beat Stanford tonight.

Why? someone get injured?

Jarid in Cedar
01-29-2016, 01:47 PM
Why? someone get injured?

He is saying that we won't win tonight, given that the game is tomorrow

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-29-2016, 08:04 PM
He is saying that we won't win tonight, given that the game is tomorrow

:highfive:

Mormon Red Death
01-29-2016, 08:06 PM
Hardy har Har

LA Ute
01-30-2016, 12:35 AM
Sean Miller in action:

https://www.facebook.com/AriAlexanderTV/videos/1561155207541736/

justaute
01-30-2016, 07:42 PM
U$C beat UW tonight, 98-88. UCLA just smoked WSU, 83-50.

U$C's athleticism is something else.

LA Ute
01-30-2016, 09:33 PM
U$C beat UW tonight, 98-88. UCLA just smoked WSU, 83-50.

U$C's athleticism is something else.

Argh. Maybe SU's fears about the awakening of U$C, a sleeping giant, are being realized.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
01-30-2016, 11:45 PM
Offense to spare in the P12 this weekend, SC with 98 in regulation, Utah 96 in reg, UCLA and Zona both go 80 or more. Wow.

Jarid in Cedar
01-31-2016, 12:43 AM
Offense to spare in the P12 this weekend, SC with 98 in regulation, Utah 96 in reg, UCLA and Zona both go 80 or more. Wow.

The conference has been fun this year. The conference tourney is going to be nuts.

DrumNFeather
01-31-2016, 07:08 PM
ASU giving the Ducks a game.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
01-31-2016, 07:12 PM
ASU giving the Ducks a game.

Looked like it was going to be a route 5 mins in. ASU breaking Oregon's press and getting easy looks.

Solon
01-31-2016, 08:37 PM
The conference has been fun this year. The conference tourney is going to be nuts.
Amen to that!

:cheers:

DrumNFeather
02-01-2016, 08:54 AM
Oregon is now +3 heading into the turn and plays 5 of the next 7 at home, with Stanford and Cal being the road trip in the middle and the LA Schools at the end of the season. They are positioned well to put some distance between themselves and the rest of the league this week. With two of the 6-3 teams, Utah and Colorado coming to Eugene this week, and Washington hosting Arizona, there's a fair chance that when the week is over they've got a two game lead over everyone (except USC, who only has 1 game this week - UCLA).

Unless Utah/CU jumps up and gets them at home this week, I'm not sure I see the Ducks dropping a game the rest of the way (unless USC is playing for a bye the last week of the season and Oregon has wrapped up the top seed by that point.)

For our part, we've got to get a split on this road trip to stay in the top four.

DrumNFeather
02-01-2016, 11:01 AM
Every Monday from here on out (you're welcome) you get the official DrumAtology P12 Tourney Bracket Projection:

1. Oregon (15-3)
2. USC (13 -5)
3. Utah (13 - 5)
4. Arizona (13 - 5)

5. Washington (11-7) vs. 12. WSU (1-17)
6. Colorado (10-8) vs. 11. ASU (4-14) - Upset alert
7. Cal (9-9) vs. 10. OSU (5-13)
8. Stanford (7-11) vs. 9. UCLA (7-11)

This was done quickly and not very scientifically, so cut me some slack.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
02-01-2016, 12:53 PM
The schedule is favorable for Oregon with 5 of the next 7 at home and the road trip being Cal/Stanford who appear to be heading in the wrong direction. However I never assume Oregon will do well on that trip since they have been swept on that trip many times.

By next Friday there could be some clarity in the race as Oregon play Colorado and Utah. Utah has Oregon and then hosts Washington. Washington hosts Zona then @ Utah. USC only has UCLA.

LA Ute
02-02-2016, 12:42 PM
PAC-12 Blog power ranking has Utah second:

http://pachoops.com/2016/02/week-12-pachoops-pac-12-power-rankings-halfway-home/

Is he right? I wonder if USC shouldn't be 2nd, and Utah 3rd.

DrumNFeather
02-02-2016, 12:44 PM
PAC-12 Blog power ranking has Utah second:

http://pachoops.com/2016/02/week-12-pachoops-pac-12-power-rankings-halfway-home/

Is he right? I wonder if USC shouldn't be 2nd, and Utah 3rd.

Well, if you look at the DNF bracket projection...you'll note that I have them finishing with the same record in conference as us, but they'll get the tie breaker on the head to head. Either way, if Oregon runs away with this as I suspect they might, 2-3 with USC wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, especially if Arizona lands at #4.

Utebiquitous
02-02-2016, 01:08 PM
Sancho,
I'm with you. I was really bagging on our Utes after that stretch and the Oregon loss. Suddenly, I'm dreaming again. I hate to admit it but I'm such a typical fan. I'll be close to beating my wife and children or jumping off a bridge if we get swept this week.

On a serious note - if they stay committed to running the offense through the bigs (both Jakob and Kuzma) they'll be all right.

SoCalPat
02-02-2016, 02:21 PM
Well, if you look at the DNF bracket projection...you'll note that I have them finishing with the same record in conference as us, but they'll get the tie breaker on the head to head. Either way, if Oregon runs away with this as I suspect they might, 2-3 with USC wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, especially if Arizona lands at #4.

This. Especially since a rematch in Vegas amounts to nearly a home game for us.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
02-02-2016, 02:24 PM
This. Especially since a rematch in Vegas amounts to nearly a home game for us.

It'll be interesting to see how SC fans show up in Vegas with a good team. SC/Wazzu/Beav fans have been basically nonexistent the last 3 years.

Mormon Red Death
02-02-2016, 07:40 PM
It'll be interesting to see how SC fans show up in Vegas with a good team. SC/Wazzu/Beav fans have been basically nonexistent the last 3 years.
It's pretty much azholes, Utah and Oregon fans. The azholes get there for the weekend. I hate the azholes

HuskyFreeNorthwest
02-03-2016, 01:22 PM
It's pretty much azholes, Utah and Oregon fans. The azholes get there for the weekend. I hate the azholes

UCLA fans have been pretty prevalent too. The Zoo people can be rough to be around.

Applejack
02-03-2016, 01:28 PM
UCLA fans have been pretty prevalent too. The Zoo people can be rough to be around.

The thing I hate most about living on the east coast (more than the lack of good mexican food) is the infeasiblity of a quick Vegas trip for the Pac tourney.

Diehard Ute
02-03-2016, 02:13 PM
The thing I hate most about living on the east coast (more than the lack of good mexican food) is the infeasiblity of a quick Vegas trip for the Pac tourney.

Just for that, they're expanding Red Iguana 2. Soon locals will have killer food and no line.

Mormon Red Death
02-03-2016, 03:01 PM
I live on the east coast and I go every year. Priorities brother.... it's all about priorities

Applejack
02-03-2016, 03:43 PM
I live on the east coast and I go every year. Priorities brother.... it's all about priorities

The tourney is just a terrible time for me to get travel. But I'm in for the byu game next year (but I'll hardly be paying attention, more concerned with wazzu)

HuskyFreeNorthwest
02-03-2016, 05:16 PM
The tourney is just a terrible time for me to get travel. But I'm in for the byu game next year (but I'll hardly be paying attention, more concerned with wazzu)

If you aren't murdered in the stands please share your experience with us!

Applejack
02-03-2016, 05:26 PM
If you aren't murdered in the stands please share your experience with us!
Sure thing. I doubt I'll be killed in my own stadium, but the rivalry has gotten toxic recently so who knows.

DrumNFeather
02-04-2016, 08:35 AM
No real surprises last night (ultimately) Arizona wins on the Road and ASU crumbles in OT to Washington.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
02-04-2016, 10:39 PM
For about 30 minutes tonight Oregon looked like the best team in the conference, for about 10 minutes they looked like a bottom 4 team in the conference. Luckily they had built up enough of a lead that those 10 minutes didn't matter.

Boucher appeared to sprain his ankle coming down on Scott's foot. That could be a huge blow Sunday against Utah's size.

DrumNFeather
02-04-2016, 10:52 PM
For about 30 minutes tonight Oregon looked like the best team in the conference, for about 10 minutes they looked like a bottom 4 team in the conference. Luckily they had built up enough of a lead that those 10 minutes didn't matter.

Boucher appeared to sprain his ankle coming down on Scott's foot. That could be a huge blow Sunday against Utah's size.
That ankle injury serious on the big fella? (read: will he miss the Utah game?)

HuskyFreeNorthwest
02-04-2016, 11:05 PM
No, he looked fine walking off.

He was walking at the end of the game, but it was gingerly. I'd suspect he plays Sunday, but a rolled ankle is always worse the next couple of days. The one time I wish we were a Wednesday home game.

DrumNFeather
02-05-2016, 06:30 AM
I think it is safe to say at this point you are looking at 5 teams for 3 spots in the top four (Oregon is in no matter what, I think).

That puts us up against USC, Wash, Colorado, and Arizona in tiebreakers, which could be good, as we have an opportunity to sweep CU and Wash and have the lone head to head win at home over Arizona. Probably won't beat USC.

I don't think anyone realistically gets back in the race...

HuskyFreeNorthwest
02-06-2016, 04:48 PM
Big road win for Zona in Seattle today.

DrumNFeather
02-06-2016, 06:56 PM
Oregon state with 10 points through 10 min..go figure.

Dwight Schr-Ute
02-06-2016, 08:44 PM
Oregon state with 10 points through 10 min..go figure.

As I hate Hell, all Beavers.

DrumNFeather
02-08-2016, 07:37 AM
DNF-Atology Pac 12 Tournament bracket projection:

1. Oregon (15-3) - Same
2. USC (13 - 5) - Same
3. Arizona (13 - 5) Up 1
4. Utah (11-7) Down 1

5. Washington (10-8) vs. 12. WSU (17-1) Same for both
6. Cal (10-8) vs. 11. ASU (5-13) Cal up 1, ASU same
7. Colorado (9-9) vs. 10. OSU (6-12) Colorado down 1, OSU same
8. UCLA (7-11) vs. 9. Stanford (7-11) UCLA and Stanford swap places (based on the head to head)

Of the teams we are competing with for spots 2, 3, and 4, I think Arizona has the most favorable schedule, and Colorado probably has the least. Washington also has some losses coming...two of them likely this week @Utah and @Colorado.

My projection assumes the Utes go 5-0 at home including a win over Arizona and 0-2 on the road.

311ute
02-08-2016, 03:46 PM
DNF-Atology Pac 12 Tournament bracket projection:

1. Oregon (15-3) - Same
2. USC (13 - 5) - Same
3. Arizona (13 - 5) Up 1
4. Utah (11-7) Down 1

5. Washington (10-8) vs. 12. WSU (17-1) Same for both
6. Cal (10-8) vs. 11. ASU (5-13) Cal up 1, ASU same
7. Colorado (9-9) vs. 10. OSU (6-12) Colorado down 1, OSU same
8. UCLA (7-11) vs. 9. Stanford (7-11) UCLA and Stanford swap places (based on the head to head)

Of the teams we are competing with for spots 2, 3, and 4, I think Arizona has the most favorable schedule, and Colorado probably has the least. Washington also has some losses coming...two of them likely this week @Utah and @Colorado.

My projection assumes the Utes go 5-0 at home including a win over Arizona and 0-2 on the road.

This is almost identical to what I see happening as well. Which, at this point, I'd take. I'd love to be on the opposite side of the Ducks, but I don't see that happening unless we win @ USC. I think If we go 11-7 with a win in Vegas, we'd be on track for a 6 seed which would be great, all things considered.

I keep wondering how much will the Stanford and OSU games cost us in terms of seeding in the NCAA Tourney (I usually don't play such "what-if" scenarios, but those two games were literally ours for the taking, and the unthinkable happened in each). If we had won both of those (i.e. if BT/JL had made ONE of four FTs, and if BT didn't foul the desperation half-court heave), I think we'd be sitting pretty for a 4 seed. We'd be 8-3, 19-5 right now....

311ute
02-08-2016, 03:52 PM
I will say that I'd MUCH rather play Washington on Thursday than Cal. I think I'd rather play Colorado over both of them, though.

DrumNFeather
02-09-2016, 08:59 AM
Each of the top 3 teams in the standings right now is on the road this weekend, and the next four teams are all at home, so we could see a bit of a shake up after this weekend. The big one to watch will be Oregon on that Cal/Stanford swing. I've got the Ducks winning both games, but the Bears have shown some fight as of late and with a sweep of Oregon/OSU could get themselves back into the hunt for a top four spot with Wallace getting healthy down the stretch.

DrumNFeather
02-11-2016, 09:38 AM
So who are we pulling for tonight? Is it time to move accept Oregon as conference champs and root for them to beat Cal to improve our seeding? Or do we think Cal is doing us a favor by beating Oregon?

I would say Cal because they've still got a handful of losses in front of them and I don't think they are any real threat to crack the top four. Now, they could do some damage in the 6-7 spot in the tournament, but that's a different story.

SoCalPat
02-11-2016, 11:12 AM
I would say Cal because they've still got a handful of losses in front of them and I don't think they are any real threat to crack the top four. Now, they could do some damage in the 6-7 spot in the tournament, but that's a different story.

Brah. Cal is tied with us in the loss column, and is one of four teams with five losses and vying for the No. 4 seed. By beating Oregon, Cal would hold a tiebreaker over Utah. They've also got a potential tiebreaker over us having defeated Arizona. They've got two road games against the worst teams in the league, and host the SoCal schools. They also get Tyrone Wallace back, but not in time for this game. No Ute fan in their right mind is rooting for Cal tonight.

DrumNFeather
02-11-2016, 11:23 AM
Brah. Cal is tied with us in the loss column, and is one of four teams with five losses and vying for the No. 4 seed. By beating Oregon, Cal would hold a tiebreaker over Utah. They've also got a potential tiebreaker over us having defeated Arizona. They've got two road games against the worst teams in the league, and host the SoCal schools. They also get Tyrone Wallace back, but not in time for this game. No Ute fan in their right mind is rooting for Cal tonight.

I don't see them winning @Arizona or @Washington, which would put them at 7 losses (where I have us if we win out at home and get swept in LA next weekend). At present they are 5 and 5 with 5 wins at home and 5 losses on the road. I'll give you Wazzu, but ASU could easily win that game. I see Cal as a serious threat in the conference tourney, but for me they've been too inconsistent to climb back into the top four...and until they prove otherwise, that's where they'll stay.

In the official DNF bracket projection, I think I've got them losing tonight to Oregon and finishing 10-8 overall.

Jarid in Cedar
02-11-2016, 11:39 AM

Root for the Ducks. They essentially have a 4 game lead over us. IOW, it ain't happenin'. Any chance of catching them died on the floor in Eugene.

More losses for the teams around us the better

DrumNFeather
02-11-2016, 11:47 AM
Root for the Ducks. They essentially have a 4 game lead over us. IOW, it ain't happenin'. Any chance of catching them died on the floor in Eugene.

More losses for the teams around us the better

Oh fine.

...Bunch of Dillon Brooks fan boys here.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
02-11-2016, 01:42 PM
Bunch of Dillon Brooks fan boys here.

Lots to love!

chrisrenrut
02-11-2016, 07:48 PM
Cal taking the Ducks to the woodshed in the first half.

DrumNFeather
02-12-2016, 06:47 AM
Oregon St. nabs a road win @ Stanford...might be moving off of the 10 seed in the next DNF bracket projection.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
02-12-2016, 07:32 AM
Ugh, the only thing that could've made last nights game worse was if I got to stay in suspense about the game while attending a country music concert and not getting to watch until about 11 last night when I got home. Brutal game. This road trip has historically been the worst in the conference for the Ducks. Saturday is a big one now.

DrumNFeather
02-12-2016, 07:42 AM
Ugh, the only thing that could've made last nights game worse was if I got to stay in suspense about the game while attending a country music concert and not getting to watch until about 11 last night when I got home. Brutal game. This road trip has historically been the worst in the conference for the Ducks. Saturday is a big one now.

On the bright side, Stanford is falling apart.

Mormon Red Death
02-12-2016, 09:31 AM
Lets look at some schedules (of teams I think we need to worry about) and standings to see where we fall:

Ore 9-3 - @ Stan, Ore st, Wash Wazzu @ UCLA @ USC
USC 7-3 - @ASU, @Ariz, Colo, Utah, @Stan, @Cal, Ore St, Oregon
Az 7-4 - UCLa, USC, ASU, @colo, @Utah, Cal, Stan
Utah 7-5 - Wazzu, @UCLA, @USC, ASU, AZ, Colo
Colo 7-5 - Wash, @USC, @UCLA, AZ, ASU @Utah
Wash 7-5 - @Colo, Cal, Stan, @ Ore st, @Ore, Wash
Cal 6-5 - Ore St, @Wash, @Wazzu ,UCLA, USC @AZ @ASU
Ore st 6-6
UCLA 4-6
Stan 4-7
ASU 3-8
Wazzu 1-11

Best case scenario Utah wins out Oregon loses to Wash and USC and USC also loses to Colo and we end up in tie for 1st with Oregon but get the 2 seed cause we lost twice to them

Worst case scenario: We lose @usc, AZ and Colo and get the 5th or lower seed

Likely scenario: Utah loses one more game (probably AZ seeings how we haven't beat them while in the Pac12) USC ends up losing to Zona, Colo, Utah and @AZ. AZ wins out and ends up 2 Utah ends up 3

Senioritis
02-12-2016, 10:10 AM

Having not seen the game, I would guess Cal is the toughest matchup in the conference for the Ducks. Lots of length and quickness, may be able to match Oregon's strengths better than most. Truth? Or just a sucky game, as the kids say?

HuskyFreeNorthwest
02-12-2016, 10:42 AM
Having not seen the game, I would guess Cal is the toughest matchup in the conference for the Ducks. Lots of length and quickness, may be able to match Oregon's strengths better than most. Truth? Or just a sucky game, as the kids say?

Cal is a tough matchup for Oregon I agree. I think the first 5 minutes of the game Oregon was 2-12 from the field and Cal was 10-11. When you don't create stops it is hard to win. Jaylen Brown is a stud, I wouldn't mind him being 1 and done.

DrumNFeather
02-12-2016, 07:53 PM
Some interesting things going on in Arizona tonight.

Jarid in Cedar
02-12-2016, 07:58 PM
Some interesting things going on in Arizona tonight.

Yep. Hate to jinx it but it looks like USC is going down. ASU up 7 with the ball, under a minute left.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
02-12-2016, 07:59 PM
Yep. Hate to jinx it but it looks like USC is going down. ASU up 7 with the ball, under a minute left.

That was a big offensive bird after SC played D instead of fouling.

Jarid in Cedar
02-12-2016, 08:01 PM
That was a big offensive bird after SC played D instead of fouling.

Probably sealed the game. As long as Goodman doesn't shot another free throw, ASU has this one.

DrumNFeather
02-12-2016, 08:05 PM
Probably sealed the game. As long as Goodman doesn't shot another free throw, ASU has this one.
Certainly helps the cause.

Jarid in Cedar
02-12-2016, 08:10 PM
Certainly helps the cause.

I can't see USC beating Arizona(despite their poor showing so far tonight). Win Sunday, and they will be looking up at us heading into next week

DrumNFeather
02-12-2016, 08:14 PM
I can't see USC beating Arizona(despite their poor showing so far tonight). Win Sunday, and they will be looking up at us heading into next week
If UCLA manages to hang on here that would be something.

Jarid in Cedar
02-12-2016, 09:05 PM
If UCLA manages to hang on here that would be something.

Nope

DrumNFeather
02-12-2016, 09:27 PM
Nope
Ha...yep thanks for nothing. Please play poorly next week.

Jarid in Cedar
02-12-2016, 09:32 PM
Ha...yep thanks for nothing. Please play poorly next week.

Alford needs to win just enough to keep his job. But not next Thursday.

UBlender
02-13-2016, 01:22 PM
Alford needs to win just enough to keep his job. But not next Thursday.

UCLA is a major underachiever in both major sports right now. We need to take advantage of that.

DrumNFeather
02-13-2016, 02:18 PM
Buffs hang on for an 81-80 win over Washington.

SoCalPat
02-13-2016, 03:29 PM
Buffs hang on for an 81-80 win over Washington.

The rare big game against top 4 contenders in which there was no clear rooting interest.

SoCalPat
02-13-2016, 09:03 PM
The top 6 teams in the pac-12 (Oregon, USC, Zona, CU, Utah, Cal) are

83-3 at home

and

19-27 on the road

Oregon is responsible for 2 of the 3 home losses. Utah for the third.

DrumNFeather
02-15-2016, 08:41 AM
DNF-Atology Bracket Projection #3

1) Oregon (13 - 5)
2) Arizona (13 -5)
3) USC (12-6)
4) Utah (12-6)

5) Washington (11-7) vs. 12 WSU (1-17) (Both teams stay the same in this week's projection. Washington would hold a tiebreaker over Cal)
6) Cal (11-7) vs. 11 ASU (4-14) (Both teams stay the same in this week's projection, but Cal earns one more win than I had them at last week)
7) Colorado (9-9) vs. 10) Stanford (7-11) (The buffs remain the same (I have them going 1-4 down the stretch, and Stanford drops a spot - mostly due to how I think the tiebreakers will shake out)
8) UCLA (7-11) vs. 9 Oregon St (7-11) (OSU moves up one)

The last few weeks could be a real battle of the haves vs. have nots in the league, as I have five teams (Arizona, Oregon, Utah, USC, and Wash) all with 1 loss down the stretch. Oregon will still earn the top seed by virtue of the head to head win over Arizona, and USC likewise will earn the #3 seed with a head to head win over us.

DrumNFeather
02-17-2016, 09:32 AM
Rooting interests tonight:

ASU over Arizona

Colorado over USC (One of these two takes a 6th loss, which is good for us - Colorado still has to come to SLC, so if they were to somehow beat USC, that'd still be alright for us).

SocalPat, JIC, how'd I do?

Jarid in Cedar
02-17-2016, 09:59 AM

ASU over Arizona

Colorado over USC (One of these two takes a 6th loss, which is good for us - Colorado still has to come to SLC, so if they were to somehow beat USC, that'd still be alright for us).

You have been trained well young padawan

HuskyFreeNorthwest
02-17-2016, 08:22 PM
The Bay is so bad to Oregon and always has been. Hopefully 3 in a row at home will be the answer. Last time Oregon won the league they were undefeated at home and swept the LA schools on the road in the final weekend. Here's to history repeating itself!

Dwight Schr-Ute
02-17-2016, 09:48 PM
Colorado hanging with the Trojans so far. Should go into the half with a lead.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
02-17-2016, 11:10 PM
Colorado hanging with the Trojans so far. Should go into the half with a lead.

Huge 2nd half by SC.

SoCalPat
02-18-2016, 06:55 PM

ASU over Arizona

Yeah, that's good. I was ambivalent with CU/USC. Your point is valid, but what are the odds USC gets swept at home? That was my thinking last night -- kinda glad SC pulled it out. But it wouldn't have been disastrous if they didn't.

DrumNFeather
02-19-2016, 06:30 AM
All three road teams win last night.

DrumNFeather
02-20-2016, 01:18 PM

OSU (Sorry HFN)

The other two games really impact the middle of the standings heading into the tourney down in Vegas. If Stanford and UCLA both win, you could end up with a big log jam of teams hovering just above .500 in league play.

I think we for sure want UCLA to win, unless we want Colorado to have the best possible resume by the time we play them.

I think Washington probably beats Stanford, but they'll have a tough roadie next week in Oregon before finishing up with WSU.

Speaking of WSU, they've got a chance to clinch the #12 seed with a loss tomorrow (even if ASU loses out, they swept WSU)...so that's something.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
02-20-2016, 02:37 PM

OSU (Sorry HFN)

You gotta do what you gotta do. Tonight should be fun, finally a sell out. Hopefully (for me at least) Oregon can refund that rythym they've had at home and shake off the disaster of last week.

DrumNFeather
02-22-2016, 08:54 AM
DNF-ATology Bracket Projection #4

#1 Oregon 13 - 5 (finishes 3-1) (Same as last week)
#2 Utah 13 - 5 (finishes 3-0) (Up two spots)
#3 Arizona 13 - 5 (finishes 3-1) (Down 1)
#4 Cal 12-6 (finishes 3-1) (Up 2)

#5 USC 11-7 (finishes 3-1) (Down 2) vs. #12 WSU 1-17 (finishes 0-4) (Same)
#6 Colorado 9-9 (finishes 1-2) (Up 1) vs. #11 ASU 4-11 (finishes 1-3) (Same)
#7 Washington 9-9 (finishes 1-2) (Down 2) vs. #10 Stanford (finishes 0-4) (Same)
#8 UCLA 8-10 (finishes 2-2) (Same) vs. #9 OSU 8-10 (finishes 2-2) (Same)

If I understand the tie breakers correctly in this scenario, Oregon gets it over us, but we get it over Arizona. Assuming Washington loses @Oregon, Colorado would have the tiebreaker over the Huskies by virtue of beating the Ducks once (vs. Wash being 0-1 and the two schools going 1-1 against each other). UCLA owns the tiebreaker over OSU by sweeping them head to head (assuming they win on the last day of the regular season).

WSU is locked into the #12 seed. Congrats to Ernie Kent!

DrumNFeather
02-22-2016, 09:46 AM
This is also the last weekend that all 12 teams will be in action on both sets of days (Wed/Th), (Sat/Sun).

HuskyFreeNorthwest
02-22-2016, 04:05 PM
P12 POY should be down to Poeltl and Brooks. Utah holding serve at home this week with a big Saturday game from JP could seal the deal for him. Brooks could shove his way back in front with a huge performance and road win at SC, but that isn't as meaningful as it would've been before SC's recent slide.

Obviously I'm biased, but both are good players with bright futures. The way DB plays I have to be honest and say I wouldn't mind the idea of him playing with a perceived chip on his shoulder next year.

chrisrenrut
02-22-2016, 04:53 PM
P12 POY should be down to Poeltl and Brooks. Utah holding serve at home this week with a big Saturday game from JP could seal the deal for him. Brooks could shove his way back in front with a huge performance and road win at SC, but that isn't as meaningful as it would've been before SC's recent slide.

Obviously I'm biased, but both are good players with bright futures. The way DB plays I have to be honest and say I wouldn't mind the idea of him playing with a perceived chip on his shoulder next year.

Do you think he is coming back next year? Honest question. I'm no NBA expert, so I don't know how he would project at the next level. I notice Boucher on a couple of mock drafts, but didn't see Brooks' name.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
02-22-2016, 06:31 PM
Do you think he is coming back next year? Honest question. I'm no NBA expert, so I don't know how he would project at the next level. I notice Boucher on a couple of mock drafts, but didn't see Brooks' name.

From what I've been told Brooks is pretty committed to return next year. Now if he believes he's a mid to high 1st round pick he should leave. The team very strongly believes that Boucher will get an additional year and be back next year. He is listed as a Senior and making appearances in a few mocks though.

U-Ute
02-23-2016, 10:38 AM

If Utah wins/ties for first at the end of the regular season, Poeltl will get it.

sancho
02-23-2016, 10:41 AM
From what I've been told Brooks is pretty committed to return next year. Now if he believes he's a mid to high 1st round pick he should leave. The team very strongly believes that Boucher will get an additional year and be back next year. He is listed as a Senior and making appearances in a few mocks though.

I don't know where Brooks ranks, but his stock is probably never going to be higher. He's coming off a POY type season.

311ute
02-23-2016, 12:26 PM
I don't know where Brooks ranks, but his stock is probably never going to be higher. He's coming off a POY type season.

Brooks isn't in the top 100 prospects according to Chad Ford and DraftExpress. I did find him on nbadraft.net as the 41st ranked prospect.

Poeltl is currently #6 on DraftExpress and nbadraft.net, and #7 on Chad Ford's.

sancho
02-23-2016, 01:37 PM
Brooks isn't in the top 100 prospects according to Chad Ford and DraftExpress. I did find him on nbadraft.net as the 41st ranked prospect.

I guess he's one of those guys who can excel in college but just isn't NBA material. Still, I imagine his stock is as high now as it will ever be.

LA Ute
02-23-2016, 02:15 PM
I guess he's one of those guys who can excel in college but just isn't NBA material. Still, I imagine his stock is as high now as it will ever be.

I just wish we didn't have to play him. Dude's good.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
02-23-2016, 04:34 PM

He's got to be a better outside shooter for the league as he has to be a 2 there. Watching his jump from fresh to soph, he can play in the league for sure but still needs some work.

Jarid in Cedar
02-24-2016, 09:08 PM
Shit just got real. Buffs down Arizona by 3.