PDA

View Full Version : The 2014 season football thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-10-2014, 03:42 PM
So now Whit has to choose between Wisc and Michigan?

:crazy:

NorthwestUteFan
12-10-2014, 03:42 PM
With? We still have a coach.

For now...

Diehard Ute
12-10-2014, 03:43 PM
For now...

I don't think we'll lose our coach. (When Dave Fox is the only guy with rumors it isn't saying much ;))

mpfunk
12-10-2014, 03:45 PM
So I guess we did have a chance to get Gary Anderson back if Whittingham left, well until he just took another job. Unreal, that is completely unexpected. By the way, I wouldn't have traded Anderson for Whittingham.

Pac-12 gets better. I wish Gary Anderson no success at Oregon State. Go Ducks.

Diehard Ute
12-10-2014, 03:48 PM
For now...

It's 1280 so take it with a grain of salt but they're reporting Gary was waiting to see if Kyle left for Michigan as he was going to pursue Utah.

Gary and Kyle talk frequently do perhaps he knows Kyle isn't leaving

LA Ute
12-10-2014, 03:50 PM
Ok, so Oregon State just hired Gary Anderson.

sancho
12-10-2014, 03:51 PM
This is a home run hire for OSU. Anderson has been successful at each step, and when you see some of the names OSU was expected to consider, this looks like pure gold in comparison.

mpfunk
12-10-2014, 03:54 PM
It's 1280 so take it with a grain of salt but they're reporting Gary was waiting to see if Kyle left for Michigan as he was going to pursue Utah.

Gary and Kyle talk frequently do perhaps he knows Kyle isn't leaving

I wouldn't doubt that for a minute. It makes a ton of sense.

I personally don't think Whittingham is going anywhere. If he is offered Michigan, he probably has to take the job. I just don't see him being offered the Michigan job.

Scratch
12-10-2014, 04:07 PM
While it's a very good hire for OSU, it's still a step back from Mike Riley.

Diehard Ute
12-11-2014, 11:14 AM
CBS and USA Today released All American teams.

CBS only released a first team. Hackett and Clay are on it. No Orchard to be found.

Hackett and Orchard find second team on USA Today. They put Washington DL Shelton on first team. Bama's punter got their first team spot.

Hard for me to buy Orchard anywhere but first team. His sack numbers alone are awesome. But as a DE he had over 80 tackles.

Brian
12-11-2014, 11:23 AM
What involvement with the team can Chase Hansen have now that he's home?
None, because he isn't enrolled?
No practice, but he can hang-out and observe, participate in meetings, etc?

Diehard Ute
12-11-2014, 11:27 AM
What involvement with the team can Chase Hansen have now that he's home?
None, because he isn't enrolled?
No practice, but he can hang-out and observe, participate in meetings, etc?

None. He'll enroll next month.

He said he'd be working with a personal trainer this month to get going then switch to the Ute strength guys in January

Applejack
12-11-2014, 12:15 PM
CBS and USA Today released All American teams.

CBS only released a first team. Hackett and Clay are on it. No Orchard to be found.

Hackett and Orchard find second team on USA Today. They put Washington DL Shelton on first team. Bama's punter got their first team spot.

Hard for me to buy Orchard anywhere but first team. His sack numbers alone are awesome. But as a DE he had over 80 tackles.

No Orchard? That is a mistake. I hope that Bama punter enjoys hanging up that clipping from USA today when Hackett brings home the RAY GUY award tomorrow.

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-11-2014, 12:19 PM
Isn't the Ray Guy today?

Applejack
12-11-2014, 12:22 PM
Isn't the Ray Guy today?

Yikes! It is! I'll have to rearrange my plans....

Diehard Ute
12-11-2014, 01:20 PM
Isn't the Ray Guy today?

Yup. Espn tonight

DrumNFeather
12-11-2014, 06:37 PM
Yup. Espn tonight
Hackett wins it!

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-11-2014, 06:39 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/11/6a8ddc290fe6cabfa6b770a8c8a168c9.jpg

OrangeUte
12-11-2014, 08:19 PM
That is an awesome award! Even though this season doesn't come with the glamour of 2004 or 2008, this ranks up there as one of my very favorite Utah football seasons.I think it is because all of the players on this team just seemed special for whatever reason. There were big plays, there were low moments, inexplicable losses, big wins, and it was a great ride!

hostile
12-12-2014, 11:36 AM
Per ESPN Pitt coach Paul Chryst is the next coach at Wisconsin.

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-12-2014, 11:41 AM
Per ESPN Pitt coach Paul Chryst is the next coach at Wisconsin.

Assuming Gary's jump to Oregon State was at all unexpected, that seems to be a super fast hire.

hostile
12-12-2014, 12:08 PM
Assuming Gary's jump to Oregon State was at all unexpected, that seems to be a super fast hire.
Yes. I would assume most AD's have a short list of potential coaches for events such as these. After Bielema leaving for Arkansas, Alvarez would be a fool not to.

Diehard Ute
12-12-2014, 12:57 PM
So Hackett has the Ray Guy and ESPN leaves him off their All American first team. Gives it to the Alabama kicker (who is behind Tom in every statistical category). Gotta love ESPN

Diehard Ute
12-12-2014, 06:53 PM
The Utes have sold all 7,500 Vegas Bowl tickets they were given. Also sold 1,600 tickets to the basketball game.

LA Ute
12-12-2014, 07:11 PM
So Hackett has the Ray Guy and ESPN leaves him off their All American first team. Gives it to the Alabama kicker (who is behind Tom in every statistical category). Gotta love ESPN

Hey, we've heard a lot about Southern Speed. I guess there's Southern Leg too.

sancho
12-16-2014, 10:56 AM
OSU OC Tom Herman to Houston. The Baylor OC took the Tulsa job. So I think the only HC positions left out there are CSU and Michigan? Am I missing anyone? Funny year - we had 3 big time openings but relatively few openings in general. Poor Matt Wells. He's gotta be thinking "you mean I have to work USU magic AGAIN to get a job somewhere?" That guy at Memphis too.

U-Ute
12-16-2014, 11:17 AM
OSU OC Tom Herman to Houston. The Baylor OC took the Tulsa job. So I think the only HC positions left out there are CSU and Michigan? Am I missing anyone? Funny year - we had 3 big time openings but relatively few openings in general. Poor Matt Wells. He's gotta be thinking "you mean I have to work USU magic AGAIN to get a job somewhere?" That guy at Memphis too.

Rumors about Cincinnati and Memphis to the B12.

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-16-2014, 11:24 AM
Given their bowl game, I can understand the confusion. But you spelled BYU wrong.

UBlender
12-16-2014, 01:20 PM
I retweeted a tweet from Pat Forde a short while ago that listed the candidates for the CSU job. It was mostly the famous assistants that you keep hearing mentioned (Frost, Narduzzi, etc). No Sitake on the list. It is starting to seem that, barring another significant upheaval causing a major domino effect, Kilani will be a Utah man for another year. If he isn't being considered for CSU, I don't see him factoring in at Michigan or Pitt (and odds are those jobs will be filled by midwestern/eastern coaches where the programs will not look this far west for a replacement).

U-Ute
12-16-2014, 01:28 PM
Given their bowl game, I can understand the confusion. But you spelled BYU wrong.

Maybe it's "Winner Take All".

NorthwestUteFan
12-16-2014, 05:19 PM
CSU is Kalani's ceiling right now. There is no way he is on the list at Michigan or Pitt.

In a couple of more years, however, all bets are off.

utefan
12-16-2014, 07:13 PM
Hahahahaha!

#1 Utefan
12-16-2014, 08:06 PM
The Utes have sold all 7,500 Vegas Bowl tickets they were given. Also sold 1,600 tickets to the basketball game.

So does this mean most are buying their basketball tickets through different channels or the majority of Utah's fanbase still doesn't realize the bball team is ranked #14 and that Utah is rapidly becoming a basketball school again?

i bought my tickets for the football game through the U. but the bball tickets directly from Ticketmaster as they were $20 cheaper. Hopefully this is the case with a lot of other fans heading down this weekend as well.

Diehard Ute
12-16-2014, 08:07 PM
So does this mean most are buying their basketball tickets through different channels or the majority of Utah's fanbase still doesn't realize the bball team is ranked #14 and that Utah is rapidly becoming a basketball school again?

i bought my tickets for the football game through the U. but the bball tickets directly from Ticketmaster as they were $20 cheaper. Hopefully this is the case with a lot of other fans heading down this weekend as well.

The U was only given 1,600 basketball tickets I believe.

#1 Utefan
12-16-2014, 08:28 PM

i am pretty sure I got better seats for less going direct rather than going through the U. where you have no idea where you will end up sitting. Given the U. has apparently sold out their ticket allotments for both games, I wonder how many Ute fans will be in attendance at the football and basketball games? Hopefully 10-15k for football and at least 3-5k for bball.

Applejack
12-22-2014, 11:35 AM
OK, after the 3RD BEST UTE SEASON OF ALL TIME, I want to give some props to the much maligned offense.

1. We had a ton of big plays this year. In fact, most of our points came on big plays. That was not the case last year when we couldn't muster many plays of 30+.
2. We had the annual QB injury/demotion carousel and didn't let it bring us down. As much as people were talking about Utah's "slide" to end the season, that slide consisted of 3 losses to Top 20 teams.
3. Devontae BOOKER!
4. We had major injuries at WR. I think the staff did a pretty good job of rebuilding the offense around Kaelin Clay who, before the injuries, was an afterthought.
5. When we played crappy defenses (MWC) we dominated offensively.
6. We put up 30 points on a really good UCLA team on the road. With a backup QB.

Now, I still think the offense was hard to watch and, at times, putrid. But there were some nice moments this year.

SeattleUte
12-22-2014, 11:43 AM
ok, after the 3rd best ute season of all time, i want to give some props to the much maligned offense.

1. We had a ton of big plays this year. In fact, most of our points came on big plays. That was not the case last year when we couldn't muster many plays of 30+.
2. We had the annual qb injury/demotion carousel and didn't let it bring us down. As much as people were talking about utah's "slide" to end the season, that slide consisted of 3 losses to top 20 teams.
3. Devontae booker!
4. We had major injuries at wr. I think the staff did a pretty good job of rebuilding the offense around kaelin clay who, before the injuries, was an afterthought.
5. When we played crappy defenses (mwc) we dominated offensively.
6. We put up 30 points on a really good ucla team on the road. With a backup qb.

Now, i still think the offense was hard to watch and, at times, putrid. But there were some nice moments this year.

great post.

Two Utes
12-22-2014, 11:46 AM
i am pretty sure I got better seats for less going direct rather than going through the U. where you have no idea where you will end up sitting. Given the U. has apparently sold out their ticket allotments for both games, I wonder how many Ute fans will be in attendance at the football and basketball games? Hopefully 10-15k for football and at least 3-5k for bball.

I had great seats for the football game. It was really fun. Great day. I'm guessing there were at least 20k fans there. There HAD to be at least 5k at the basketball game.

LA Ute
12-22-2014, 12:11 PM
Ted Miller thinks we're on the rise in the PAC-12.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=pac12&i=FB&id=82349&w=1ep71&src=desktop

mpfunk
12-22-2014, 12:38 PM
OK, after the 3RD BEST UTE SEASON OF ALL TIME, I want to give some props to the much maligned offense.

2. We had the annual QB injury/demotion carousel and didn't let it bring us down. As much as people were talking about Utah's "slide" to end the season, that slide consisted of 3 losses to Top 20 teams.
3. Devontae BOOKER!
4. We had major injuries at WR. I think the staff did a pretty good job of rebuilding the offense around Kaelin Clay who, before the injuries, was an afterthought.
5. When we played crappy defenses (MWC) we dominated offensively.
6. We put up 30 points on a really good UCLA team on the road. With a backup QB.

Now, I still think the offense was hard to watch and, at times, putrid. But there were some nice moments this year.

I'd disagree that it was the third best season of all time. I would put it at 4th all time. I would rank the best seasons as follows: 2004, 2008, 1994, and 2014

SoCalPat
12-22-2014, 01:06 PM
I'd disagree that it was the third best season of all time. I would put it at 4th all time. I would rank the best seasons as follows: 2004, 2008, 1994, and 2014

Fifth best at best. And Applejack is trolling when he says that. No way in hell do you put it behind 2003, which included our first outright crown in a half-century, snapping BYU's scoring streak and paving the way for the greatest season in school history. If we're in the playoff next year, I might reconsider. Personally, I would still put this season behind 1995 and probably 1964. But taking a year in which we finished 5th out of 6 teams in our division and putting it ahead of a year in which we won a championship? That thinking comes from people who weren't around for the McBride days.

UtahsMrSports
12-22-2014, 01:18 PM
I dont know if anyone pointed this out or not, but we used 6 QBs this year.

sancho
12-22-2014, 01:27 PM
I dont know if anyone pointed this out or not, but we used 6 QBs this year.

I bet we can break that record next year!

sancho
12-22-2014, 01:41 PM
Fifth best at best.

So everyone agrees on top 5. That's pretty good. Let's give it a few years now and see how the season ages with time.

Coastal Ute
12-22-2014, 04:06 PM
Zoobs end their crap beach bowl with a fight. Nice!

Two Utes
12-22-2014, 04:18 PM
Zoobs end their crap beach bowl with a fight. Nice!

Follow twitter. Memphis guys were the aggressors. Not trying to justify one guy's sucker punch, but I would have fought back. Memphis was like a pack of wolves on BYU's center. That is is bullshit. One of the guys is swinging his helmet.

And they are running at the BYU sideline. Coach Fuentes obviously got these guys fired up about BYU. Old TCU guy.

Brian
12-22-2014, 04:37 PM
https://vine.co/v/OXtDFJQ5zVD
not if this was the first shot.

NorthwestUteFan
12-22-2014, 04:37 PM
Looks like a byu player (#56 Koroma, OL, wearing a helmet) headbutted a helmetless Memphis player who was talking smack at him.

Then the magic happened.

justaute
12-22-2014, 04:39 PM
Sucker punch.

https://v.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/4A808F8B211158950668296663040_3835905ccd1.1.4.4208 768107106160200.mp4?versionId=69yknkiw0RR_DxXKMhW_ n_zc5aP_ny9Z

Two Utes
12-22-2014, 04:44 PM
Looks like a byu player (#56 Koroma, OL, wearing a helmet) headbutted a helmetless Memphis player who was talking smack at him.

Then the magic happened. Didn't head butt, he pushed guy away.

Two Utes
12-22-2014, 04:53 PM
Didn't head butt, he pushed guy away.

I get fired up about this stuff. BYU guy pushes guy away and guy incites the brawl by almost ripping his head off. Then ,like a pack of dogs, five are on him with one swinging his god damn helmet (that dude should never play football again). Then you can see Memphis guys stomping on dudes on the ground. But we focus on the sucker punch after the melee ends (12 clearly gets hit earlier as he is welted under his eye). I hate BYU. But that brawl is pure bullshit. Memphis is fucking trash.

sancho
12-22-2014, 04:55 PM
I get fired up about this stuff. BYU guy pushes guy away and guy incites the brawl by almost ripping his head off. Then ,like a pack of dogs, five are on him with one swinging his god damn helmet (that dude should never play football again). Then you can see Memphis guys stomping on dudes on the ground. But we focus on the sucker punch after the melee ends (12 clearly gets hit earlier as he is welted under his eye). I hate BYU. But that brawl is pure bullshit. Memphis is fucking trash.

Give it up two. That was clearly a "two to tango" brawl. BYU is every bit as trash as Memphis is.

Two Utes
12-22-2014, 04:59 PM
Give it up two. That was clearly a "two to tango" brawl. BYU is every bit as trash as Memphis is.

it always takes two to tango, but watch the whole thing and tell me who is MORE at fault. Memphis is more trash than BYU. The only difference in any of that brawl if it is Utah is MAYBE no sucker punch at the end. You would be coming unglued as a Utah fan is it was the red instead of the Y. And you would be agreeing with me.

sancho
12-22-2014, 05:05 PM
You would be coming unglued as a Utah fan is it was the red instead of the Y. And you would be agreeing with me.

Yes, I will always defend Utah, right or wrong, just like BYU fans are trying to defend BYU right now.

I admit, I haven't seen everything out there. I've seen the BYU guy start it with a head butt or shove (depending on your perspective) against a helmet-less player. I've seen the helmet less player retaliate with a shove of his own. I haven't seen the complete map of what happened after that. I know a Memphis dude swung a helmet, and a BYU guy sucker punched someone. Based on the timeline available to me now, the scales of trash are evenly balanced.

Any bets on whether or not any BYU players are suspended for the season opener at Nebraska?

justaute
12-22-2014, 05:07 PM
As a Utah fan, I would not come unglued at all, even if Utah were involved. I'm a "fan" and don't take those things personally. If I were in the middle of it, obviously my response would be different -- in a measured way.

People are so easily manipulated.

it always takes two to tango, but watch the whole thing and tell me who is MORE at fault. Memphis is more trash than BYU. The only difference in any of that brawl if it is Utah is MAYBE no sucker punch at the end. You would be coming unglued as a Utah fan is it was the red instead of the Y. And you would be agreeing with me.

Two Utes
12-22-2014, 05:14 PM
As a Utah fan, I would not come unglued at all, even if Utah were involved. I'm a "fan" and don't take those things personally. If I were in the middle of it, obviously my response would be different -- in a measured way.

So you think I've been manipulated? Congrats on you being such an even keel guy.

I like to look at the actual hard evidence and evaluate. What people say usually isn't as good as the hard evidence. Biased people are usually not credible.

Congrats on being such a great fan and not being manipulated. I am very impressed.

NorthwestUteFan
12-22-2014, 05:14 PM
Didn't head butt, he pushed guy away.

...with his hat bouncing off the guy's chin. And also pushing with his hands.

#1 Utefan
12-22-2014, 05:16 PM

I'm with Two Utes on this one. Both teams are to blame but Memphis seems to be the side that escalated the trash talk and melee by throwing the first punch and attacking the guy. Nacua will pay for his part in the incident as well.

I know as Ute fans we like to pile on BYU and often it is deserved. Let's just not pretend some of these Memphis guys are angels. They are anything but.

justaute
12-22-2014, 05:16 PM
Dude...chill. I didn't, nor did I imply, that you are easily manipulated. Just saying people get worked up easily on many fronts outside of their control. Who knows how worked up are -- only you.

I assume you're an adult, so you can infer however you want.

So you think I've been manipulated? Congrats on you being such an even keel guy.

I like to look at the actual hard evidence and evaluate. What people say usually isn't as good as the hard evidence. Biased people are usually not credible.

Congrats on being such a great fan and not being manipulated. I am very impressed.

Two Utes
12-22-2014, 05:18 PM
Dude...chill. I didn't, nor did I imply, that you are easily manipulated. Just saying people get worked up easily on many fronts outside of their control. Who knows how worked up are -- only you.

I assume you're an adult, so you can infer however you want.

Not really worked up. More worked up by you suggesting I was manipulated. And again very impressed that you are such and even keel guy and not easily manipulated.

justaute
12-22-2014, 05:19 PM
Who knows exactly what happened? During the game? After the game?

Angels? What angels? Having played D1 sports and been around athletes all my life, there are plenty of scums inside the sports world -- and outside, as well. Pointing fingers without knowing all the details does what good? Nonetheless, it's a free world. People may do as they wish. I just made my observation.

I'm with Two Utes on this one. Both teams are to blame but Memphis seems to be the side that escalated the trash talk and melee by throwing the first punch and attacking the guy. Nacua will pay for his part in the incident as well.

I know as Ute fans we like to pile on BYU and often it is deserved. Let's just not pretend some of these Memphis guys are angels. They are anything but.

sancho
12-22-2014, 05:20 PM

Is there tape of a first punch? I haven't seen that yet. Just two dudes pushing each other, and then the next thing I've seen is the same two dudes throwing punches at each other with two other Memphis guys pushing and one swinging a helmet. Then there's a vine of the BYU sucker punch, which appears to come much later. The BYU guy is bloodied up - who knows what went on between the three 9 second videos that are circulating?

Nobody is pretending the Memphis guys are angels. Both sides are trash as far as this brawl is concerned.

justaute
12-22-2014, 05:20 PM
If you thought I suggested you were manipulated, so be it. I clarified it once and that's enough. Glad you are impressed.

Not really worked up. More worked up by you suggesting I was manipulated. And again very impressed that you are such and even keel guy and not easily manipulated.

utefan
12-22-2014, 05:29 PM
Hahahahaha! For a BYU hater like me, that was about as close to perfection as one could hope for. Lose a no name bowl game to a no name team, then an all out brawl after the game.

BYU football is in pretty bad shape.

#1 Utefan
12-22-2014, 05:30 PM
Is there tape of a first punch? I haven't seen that yet. Just two dudes pushing each other, and then the next thing I've seen is the same two dudes throwing punches at each other with two other Memphis guys pushing and one swinging a helmet. Then there's a vine of the BYU sucker punch, which appears to come much later. The BYU guy is bloodied up - who knows what went on between the three 9 second videos that are circulating?

Nobody is pretending the Memphis guys are angels. Both sides are trash as far as this brawl is concerned.

#97 on Memphis threw the first punch after he was pushed by the BYU center. I couldn't get the entire angle but BYU fans are claiming the guy that pushed the Memphis player was shoved from behind before the push.

It looked like #97 was talking trash before the shove but my guess is both players (and undoubtedly others) were flapping their gums during and after the game. The question becomes does a shove after an emotionally charged game warrant an ensuing sucker punch? Plentyy of blame to go around here but Memphis seems to be the team that escalated things and turned it into a full on street brawl.

sancho
12-22-2014, 05:37 PM
#97 on Memphis threw the first punch after he was pushed by the BYU center. I couldn't get the entire angle but BYU fans are claiming the guy that pushed the Memphis player was shoved from behind before the push.

If you are talking about the shove to the head, I can't count that as a first punch. It was a shove. But maybe you are talking about something after the shove?

NorthwestUteFan
12-22-2014, 05:44 PM
One team being more trashy then the other is merely a matter of degrees.

The Memphis players who were in it will probably get punished. The dude swinging his helmet should lose a few games next year, or even the whole season. Or even disqualified from playing entirely. The AAC will likely step in and ensure this will get remedied.

BYU won't do much of anything. Hopefully this is enough to keep them out of a Big Boy conference forever. The CULTure at byu (especially under Brinco) seems to propagate and celebrate this nasty behavior, and it is unlikely to change. They seem to go out of their way to injure other players, and there is a good example nearly every year ever since Bronco has been with the program. This was on display as recently as yesterday as Ziggy Ansah dropped his helmet to go helmet to helmet with a sliding QB.

#12 Nacua might get some sort of punishment, and then go on a mission next year. #56 Koroma won't have anything to worry about, just as after he got tossed in the Houston game.

I want to see the following letter:

"Dear Tom Holmoe,

What the actual fuck is wrong with you people? Can't you just shake hands like everybody else and sulk to your locker room after the game? Did somebody insult your Prophet? Why the constant state of Jihad surrounding your program?

Enclosed is a check buying out the 2016 and 2017 games. Find another team to cheap shot those years, and don't come begging to play us any time after that. Good luck, and may God have mercy on your miserable soul.

Very Respectfully Yours,

Chris Hill, PhD"

#1 Utefan
12-22-2014, 05:54 PM
[QUOTE=NorthwestUteFan;47849]One team being more trashy then the other is merely a matter of degrees.

The Memphis players who were in it will probably get punished. The dude swinging his helmet should lose a few games next year, or even the whole season. Or even disqualified from playing entirely. The AAC will likely step in and ensure this will get remedied.

BYU won't do much of anything. Hopefully this is enough to keep them out of a Big Boy conference forever. The CULTure at byu (especially under Brinco) seems to propagate and celebrate this nasty behavior, and it is unlikely to change. They seem to go out of their way to injure other players, and there is a good example nearly every year ever since Bronco has been with the program. This was on display as recently as yesterday as Ziggy Ansah dropped his helmet to go helmet to helmet with a sliding QB.

#12 Nacua might get some sort of punishment, and then go on a mission next year. #56 Koroma won't have anything to worry about, just as after he got tossed in the Houston game.

I want to see the following letter:

"Dear Tom Holmoe,

What the actual fuck is wrong with you people? Can't you just shake hands like everybody else and sulk to your locker room after the game? Did somebody insult your Prophet? Why the constant state of Jihad surrounding your program?

Enclosed is a check buying out the 2016 and 2017 games. Find another team to cheap shot those years, and don't come begging to play us any time after that. Good luck, and may God have mercy on your miserable soul.

Very Respectfully Yours,

Chris Hill, PhD"[/QUOT

NW Ute fan, your post was solid and you made some good points up until you lost your credibility with the diatribe disguised as a needed Chris Hill letter at the end. Not only will you never see that letter, Chris Hill would be embarrassed to have his name attached to it.

NorthwestUteFan
12-22-2014, 05:57 PM
To be fair, #56 probably felt like he was protecting his QB.

Hot Lunch
12-22-2014, 06:01 PM

This is true. Both teams are garbage and it was on full display by both sides at the end of the game. You can also see a Memphis player getting stomped by about 12 BYU players as well during the mess. He gets pulled away from the area where it all started and just gets destroyed. Huge black eye on both programs.

Diehard Ute
12-22-2014, 06:29 PM
Tom Holmoe tweets the following

"@TomHolmoe: We expect better of our athletes, even in the face of a difficult loss. We intend to fully review this matter. I apologize to Cougar Nation."

Three of the first four responses criticize the apology.

I can't understand a culture that feels it's OK for that. If it were Ute players I would be wanting heads to roll.

tooblue
12-22-2014, 07:15 PM
This is true. Both teams are garbage and it was on full display by both sides at the end of the game. You can also see a Memphis player getting stomped by about 12 BYU players as well during the mess. He gets pulled away from the area where it all started and just gets destroyed. Huge black eye on both programs.

Just a reminder of how a supposed classy fan base acts ...

http://media.ksl.com/NiNmZuOToidJHvFKvl2XFKouf4evr56D.jpg

U-Ute
12-22-2014, 07:29 PM
The BYU brawl is Christmas a few days early for Utah fans. It'll be fodder and we'll have fun.

That being said, swinging helmets and throwing full haymakers should get serious suspensions. I don't care what started it. There is no place in sports for that.

USS Utah
12-22-2014, 08:09 PM
Remember when Max Hall pushed Stevenson Sylvester in the back? I don't recall a brawl breaking out.

jrj84105
12-22-2014, 08:33 PM
So everyone agrees on top 5. That's pretty good. Let's give it a few years now and see how the season ages with time.
No way. 1930, 1964 at least were better.

hostile
12-22-2014, 08:54 PM

Good to hear from you tooblue. Were you able to see the BYU/Utah game on TV?

mUUser
12-22-2014, 09:24 PM
Entertaining double overtime victory by Memphis, and equally entertaining post game brawl. However, since the cleanest cheap shot was BYU 12 on Memphis 40, and barely caused 40 to notice, I'll have to give the fight to Memphis as well.

Not often you'll see a double loser in one game. Well done BYU, well done.

NorthwestUteFan
12-22-2014, 10:23 PM

One drunk frat boy does not a fan base make. In an alternate universe I would love to watch Bronco go BYU Football Player on Suspenders Boy. He would rock his trash for sure. I don't care how tough a 21 yr old thinks he is, he will simply not survive getting in the ring with a former D-1 athlete/Pro Football Player/Coach who works strength trains daily with D-1 athletes and professional strength coaches, and come out unscathed.

BYU football is known for three things under The Great Bronconi: 1) recievers with cat-like reflexes who run good routes seem to catch everything thrown their way, 2) QB who can stand tall in the pocket and throw a catchable pass, and 3) excessive amounts of celebrating, leading with the crown of the helmet, and being far-too Chippy.

Probably should add in an unnecessary and unearned sense of personal superiority and a belief that they are above the law because they do all their home teaching on time.

Hot Lunch
12-22-2014, 10:31 PM

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=26989461

he who lives in a glass house shouldn't throw stones. Stay on that high horse though. When you guys fall, you fall pretty hard.

SoCalPat
12-22-2014, 10:42 PM
Documented by a Madison paper, per an open records request: Bronco Mendenhall applied for the Wisconsin job.

LA Ute
12-22-2014, 10:51 PM
Documented by a Madison paper, per an open records request: Bronco Mendenhall applied for the Wisconsin job.

Wow. Turbulent times for Cougar Nation. I like being a Ute fan right now.

Hot Lunch
12-22-2014, 10:54 PM

very entertaining season for the Cougars with an epic ending.

sancho
12-22-2014, 10:58 PM

I'm impressed that he recognizes the situation clearly enough to want out. I didn't think he was that aware. On the other hand, he's not aware enough to know that Wisconsin was going to throw his application in the trash without reading it.

So, is he back next year? If not, who is the head coach down there?

Jarid in Cedar
12-22-2014, 11:14 PM

he who lives in a glass house shouldn't throw stones. Stay on that high horse though. When you guys fall, you fall pretty hard.

Simply because when they fall, they double, even triple down, with righteous indignation.

LA Ute
12-23-2014, 06:59 AM
He didn't really want the Wisconsin job anyway. Besides, jobs recruit Bronco, not the other way around.

UtahsMrSports
12-23-2014, 07:18 AM
I love this board. Best wishes for a happy holiday season to all of you!

tooblue
12-23-2014, 07:36 AM

Dramatic irony: see above

lol

tooblue
12-23-2014, 07:41 AM
Simply because when they fall, they double, even triple down, with righteous indignation.

Wait, now how many times have you and many others stated again and again how you just don't care about BYU? Yet y'all watched the game and then came here to pontificate? Lol the righteous indignation started with all y'all in this thread ;)

sancho
12-23-2014, 08:13 AM
Wait, now how many times have you and many others stated again and again how you just don't care about BYU?

For the record, I have never said this. Since I was old enough to be teased (by teachers, classmates, friends' parents, ward members) for wearing a Utah t-shirt, I have cared about BYU. I've always rooted against BYU, and I always will. I don't always watch their games, but if I see that they are going to lose, I usually turn it on to watch. Yesterday was a really fun day for Ute fans like me.

#1 Utefan
12-23-2014, 08:18 AM
Remember when Max Hall pushed Stevenson Sylvester in the back? I don't recall a brawl breaking out.

This a good point. What Hall did there was worse and could have led to an ugly post game incident had Sylvester not controlled himself and walked away like he did.

Plenty of blame to go around yesterday but once punches start flying, things escalate quickly.

U-Ute
12-23-2014, 09:03 AM
very entertaining season for the Cougars with an epic ending.

I know I am in the minority about this, but all this drama is exactly why I can't wait for the Utah/BYU rivalry to die. I won't deny that it is entertaining, but it is hard for Utah to be taken seriously when the school considered our biggest rival is a continuous freak show.

You are who you hang out with.

Applejack
12-23-2014, 09:28 AM
Fifth best at best. And Applejack is trolling when he says that. No way in hell do you put it behind 2003, which included our first outright crown in a half-century, snapping BYU's scoring streak and paving the way for the greatest season in school history. If we're in the playoff next year, I might reconsider. Personally, I would still put this season behind 1995 and probably 1964. But taking a year in which we finished 5th out of 6 teams in our division and putting it ahead of a year in which we won a championship? That thinking comes from people who weren't around for the McBride days.

Not around for the McBride days? How insulting. Ron McBride is the sole beneficiary of my will!

In reality, I think that this is probably our 4th best season of all-time. I think 1994 is still at #3. Here's my argument for this year as #4 ALL TIME (not a troll).

1. We are going to end this season ranked around somewhere around #20, depending on who loses their bowl games.
2. We will have two wins against teams ranked in the Top 25 at the end of the season (assuming USC wins their bowl game).
3. We also beat Michigan and Stanford on the road. Michigan sucks this year, but Stanford doesn't.
4. Three of our four losses were to teams ranked in the Top 15.
5. We had one bad loss, Wazzu.

Compare to the two other contenders, 2003 and 1995 (I don't consider 1964 because it predates me):

2003:

1. Outright MWC championship. Caveat: the MWC was at an all-time low; second place went to an 8-5 New Mexico team.
2. Two good home wins against the pac-10: Oregon (3rd place in Pac) and Cal (4th place in the Pac).
3. The only other teams we beat with winning records were CSU, Air Force, and Southern Miss (bowl game).
4. Lost to New Mexico (at home). This was UNM's peak in football. They came in second in the MWC and went to the Vegas Bowl (losing to Oregon State by 41).
5. Lost to Texas A&M. This was A&M's trough, they were bad. They only won four games all year.
6. I don't give any points for "setting up" the following year. This is all about the particular year's resume.

This year was better than 2003 - we beat more ranked teams, we only had one bad loss (same as 2003), and we beat a slew of goliaths. We also did it without any weeks off, other than the first and last week. 2003 had a really soft schedule (no ranked teams) and the MWC was really bad that year.

But, I don't think it tops 1994 (my favorite Ute team, including 2004 and 2008):

1. That team ended ranked in the top 10. For those of us who survived the 80s, such an outcome seemed about as likely as a us joining the Pac-10. This season, and this season alone, is why Ron McBride deserves a statue on campus.
2. This was a high-point for the WAC. Both BYU and CSU ended the year in the top 20, and both lost to Utah.
3. Outside of the conference, we beat a very good Oregon team that would go to the Rose Bowl.
4. In the Freedom Bowl we beat Arizona (#2 in the Pac) and Teddy Bruschi.
5. We lost to Air Force in Colorado Springs. They were a solid team.
6. We lost to new Mexico in ABQ. They sucked. Classic McBride loss. Remember trying a game-winning 64 yard field goal?

Ultimately, 1994 is better because (a) the team ended in the Top 10, (b) it beat 4 top 25 teams, (c) it beat two of the top three teams in the Pac-10, (d) had a really memorable bowl win against a top team.

Applejack
12-23-2014, 09:29 AM

We agree! (Almost). I would rank it:

1. 2008
2. 2004
3. 1994
4. 2014
5. 2003

SoCalPat
12-23-2014, 09:33 AM
I know I am in the minority about this, but all this drama is exactly why I can't wait for the Utah/BYU rivalry to die. I won't deny that it is entertaining, but it is hard for Utah to be taken seriously when the school considered our biggest rival is a continuous freak show.

You are who you hang out with.

What a pile of sanctimonious claptrap. You're the one I'm having a hard time taking seriously if you really believe what happened in Miami is reflective upon Utah. Dramatize much?

Applejack
12-23-2014, 09:33 AM
Dramatic irony: see above

lol

ToolBlue! Were you able to watch Utah's bowl victory? It was on ABC.

Mormon Red Death
12-23-2014, 09:59 AM
Too blue watched the whole Vegas bowl with me.

UtahsMrSports
12-23-2014, 10:01 AM
Tom Holmoe tweets the following

"@TomHolmoe: We expect better of our athletes, even in the face of a difficult loss. We intend to fully review this matter. I apologize to Cougar Nation."

Three of the first four responses criticize the apology.

I can't understand a culture that feels it's OK for that. If it were Ute players I would be wanting heads to roll.

I am confused as to why he is apologizing to "Cougar Nation". Wouldn't this have been better directed at the bowl organizers and ESPN for embarassing them? Maybe to Memphis for BYU's role in it? Oh wait, that would take some humility..........

USS Utah
12-23-2014, 10:19 AM
Yesterday was a really fun day for Ute fans like me.

I enjoyed Saturday more, much, much more.

tooblue
12-23-2014, 10:49 AM
ToolBlue! Were you able to watch Utah's bowl victory? It was on ABC.

Mormon Red Death and family came for a visit. We watched the game. CSU was no match for Utah from the kickoff. It was nice to see Travis Wilson play so well. Too bad he'll likely transfer :shakes head: What was a good season could've been a great one if not for poor coaching.

sancho
12-23-2014, 10:54 AM
It was nice to see Travis Wilson play so well. Too bad he'll likely transfer :shakes head: What was a good season could've been a great one if not for poor coaching.

Come on blue. It's just not the same without a Pac-12 Network complaint. Sigh.

LA Ute
12-23-2014, 10:59 AM
I enjoyed Saturday more, much, much more.

Yep. By a factor of 10 or more.

SoCalPat
12-23-2014, 09:49 PM
This year was better than 2003 - we beat more ranked teams, we only had one bad loss (same as 2003), and we beat a slew of goliaths. We also did it without any weeks off, other than the first and last week. 2003 had a really soft schedule (no ranked teams) and the MWC was really bad that year.

Well, the 2004 team faced the same number of AP ranked opponents as the 2003 team -- one. The 2014 team should beat some "goliaths" as you're bound to do when you face one nearly every week. I'm not going to hold that against the 2003 team (we certainly don't hold it against the 2004 team), which with perhaps the exception of the 1982 team, played the toughest schedule in school history to that point.

Also, your caveat borders on quite the exercise in self-loathing. If the MWC was at an all-time low in 2003 (only BYU fans agree with you here, seeing they went 4-8 that year), it was only because the rest of the league wet its pants over what was going on in SLC with Urban. The MWC was at an all-time low in 2007, when injuries took out the league's top offensive and defensive players (Brian Johnson, Tommy Blake) and the team with the most talent (New Mexico) decided to turn the ball over 4 times at home to a BYU team that had no business winning a league title. However, that spawned the Quest for Perfection, and the jokes that came out of that more than made up for the previous year's happenings.

UTEopia
12-24-2014, 04:02 PM

You had to say it. Now look what you did.

LA Ute
12-24-2014, 06:25 PM
You had to say it. Now look what you did.

Rats.

Coastal Ute
12-25-2014, 12:02 AM
Follow twitter.

I just can't. Never got into Twitter.

When I posted about there being a fight it was right after said fight started taking place. It was still unclear as to who started it. I definitely wasn't sure but needless to say it looked awful for both programs. I don't think one team was more innocent than the other. But that's just my opinion.

Scorcho
01-04-2015, 07:57 PM
http://texags.com/s/15550/infographic-2014-college-football-tv-ratings

were #47

sancho
01-04-2015, 08:16 PM

were #47

Right next to our new rival Oregon State. You're going down, beavers!

U-Ute
01-05-2015, 04:38 PM

were #47

BYU at 60. Where'd that massive national TV audience we keep hearing about go?

LA Ute
01-13-2015, 12:49 PM
We finish ranked 21st.

http://collegefootball.ap.org/poll

Nice! Very few of us predicted anything like this.

DrumNFeather
01-13-2015, 01:21 PM
We finish ranked 21st.

Agree. There was a lot of hand wringing during the season, but it was still a 9-4 season with some big wins.

LA Ute
01-13-2015, 04:12 PM
And...we are one of only six D1 universities whose teams are ranked in the AP Top 25 in both football and basketball.

NorthwestUteFan
01-13-2015, 04:26 PM
And...we are one of only six D1 universities whose teams are ranked in the AP Top 25 in both football and basketball.

How many of those schools also have more than a handful of National Academy of Science members? Utah has several hands full...

chrisrenrut
01-13-2015, 06:01 PM

Screw that, Booooo Chris Hill!

How many of those schools also have more than a handful of National Academy of Science members? Utah has several hands full...

Screw that, Boooo Pershing!

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-14-2015, 01:42 PM
Mariota officially declared for the NFL today. To be expected, but my connected Oregon coworker said he was hearing whispers that the kid would return for his last year.

Applejack
01-14-2015, 01:54 PM
Mariota officially declared for the NFL today. To be expected, but my connected Oregon coworker said he was hearing whispers that the kid would return for his last year.

Great choice, Marcus! You will be a huge success in the NFL, along with all of your buddies on the D-line that you are currently convincing to turn pro with you.

SeattleUte
01-14-2015, 04:01 PM
We finish ranked 21st.

20th on the USA Today poll.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings

Solon
08-23-2015, 01:29 PM
So, I've been laid up in bed for the weekend while my severed vas tries to cope with me being made into a recreational vehicle. I've been able to re-watch several condensed games from 2014 on the pac-12 network. some thoughts, nearly a year on:

1. It's amazing how much the newcomers contributed right away. Tevin carter, Gianni Paul, Kaelin clay, and -of course- devontae Booker. I expect there will be some new bodies who will make a splash this year. Hopefully at WR.

2. Jared Norris might be my favorite LB at the U in a decade. Tons of fun to watch him. I also think hunter dimmick is going to be this year's Nate orchard, if he can avoid double-teams. When dimmick went out vs AZ, it got ugly pretty fast.

3. The cheap TD vs USC (when Orphey returned the lateral that nobody knew was a lateral) was a key play, but I had forgotten how Booker fumbled on the 1 in the first half. The last 2 minutes of that game might be the best moment Wilson ever has as a Ute. It was an all-time performance.

4. I know UCLA was overrated, but beating the then-#8 team on the road was a great win, even if the Utes did give the ucla kid 2 chances to hit a game winning FG.

5. Being solid in the kicking game was such a luxury. I will never take that for granted.

6. Winning the 2OT games vs Oregon State & Stanford (both on the road) almost makes up for losing to Wazzou. Almost. Aside from the collapse vs the Cougars, the Utes either trailed in the 4th quarter or went to OT in all five conference wins (Oregon state, ucla, usc, Stanford, Colorado). That's coming through under pressure.

7. I'd like to see one lopsided conference win for the Utes in 2015. Just one. Is that asking too much?