Oct 11 - BYE
Oct 16 @ Oregon St. (Thur)
Oct 25 - vs USC
Nov 1 - @ Arizona St.
Nov 8 - vs. Oregon
Nov 15 @ Stanford
Nov 22 vs. Arizona
Nov 29 @ Colorado

Full release here: http://pac-12.com/article/2014/01/08/pac-12-conference-releases-2014-football-schedule

SoCalPat
01-08-2014, 02:41 PM
Aug 28 - vs. Idaho St. (Thur)
Sept 6 - vs. Fresno St.
Sept 13 - Bye
Sept 20 @ Michigan
Sept 27 - vs. Washington St.
Oct 4 - @ UCLA
Oct 11 - BYE
Oct 16 @ Oregon St. (Thur)
Oct 25 - vs USC
Nov 1 - @ Arizona St.
Nov 8 - vs. Oregon
Nov 15 @ Stanford
Nov 22 vs. Arizona
Nov 29 @ Colorado

Full release here: http://pac-12.com/article/2014/01/08/pac-12-conference-releases-2014-football-schedule

Magic number for bowl eligibility is two road wins. I think we can get four at home, five if we can find a way to split the USC and Oregon games. Losing any of our first three home games borders on death.

Rocker Ute
01-08-2014, 02:48 PM
Magic number for bowl eligibility is two road wins. I think we can get four at home, five if we can find a way to split the USC and Oregon games. Losing any of our first three home games borders on death.

So if we do go 6 and 6 regular season next year does Whit save his job, at least for another year, or what does that mean? I'm not an advocate for letting him go next year unless it is absolutely disastrous, but I know that is a growing opinion I think. 6-6 is bowl eligibility but does it actually show improvement, or does it just mean that this year on one of our close games the ball bounced our way this time?

Or another way of putting this, what is the minimum record at the end of the regular season that Whit retains his job for sure.

DrumNFeather
01-08-2014, 02:57 PM
So if we do go 6 and 6 regular season next year does Whit save his job, at least for another year, or what does that mean? I'm not an advocate for letting him go next year unless it is absolutely disastrous, but I know that is a growing opinion I think. 6-6 is bowl eligibility but does it actually show improvement, or does it just mean that this year on one of our close games the ball bounced our way this time?

Or another way of putting this, what is the minimum record at the end of the regular season that Whit retains his job for sure.

As of right now, I think It would have to be 7-6 as the minimum. If they go to a bowl game at 6-6 and still finish under .500 with a loss that could still not be enough to save him, though it probably will be.

LA Ute
01-08-2014, 03:10 PM
If we go to a bowl next season I'll be delighted. A little surprised too. Makes me sad to say that.

Crimsonute
01-08-2014, 03:31 PM
If we go to a bowl next season I'll be delighted. A little surprised too. Makes me sad to say that.Looking at that Schedule, we'd all be delighted. But if Utah wants to show they belong, they've got to make one of those 8 spots.

Rocker Ute
01-08-2014, 03:40 PM
I'm making my call here:

We beat:

Idaho St
Fresno St
Michigan
Wazzu
Oregon St
AZ
Colorad9

USC sneaks past us in last second heroics, Oregon ASU and UCLA win easily... Stanford gets revenge in a brutefest, but it will leave people questioning Shaw there.

7-5 Regular Season 8-5 After a Fight Hunger Bowl win over BYU

concerned
01-08-2014, 03:42 PM
I'm making my call here:

We beat:

Idaho St
Fresno St
Michigan
Wazzu
Oregon St
AZ
Colorad9

USC sneaks past us in last second heroics, Oregon ASU and UCLA win easily... Stanford gets revenge in a brutefest, but it will leave people questioning Shaw there.

7-5 Regular Season 8-5 After a Fight Hunger Bowl win over BYU

Stanford has a bye the week before our game, which will make it even tougher. Wont be a trap game next year.

Applejack
01-08-2014, 04:14 PM
Man, the Pac-12 is brutal. I can't convince myself of six wins in there.

But I will be at the BigHaus. As the St Katherine's game demonstrated, if I'm in attendance, we win.

sancho
01-08-2014, 04:31 PM
So if we do go 6 and 6 regular season next year does Whit save his job

Yes, 6 wins and he's safe. He should be safe regardless, but fans don't work like that. One more win this year, and there would have never been any hot seat discussions.

LA Ute
01-08-2014, 04:36 PM

But I will be at the BigHaus. As the St Katherine's game demonstrated, if I'm in attendance, we win.

AJ, follow these directions for the Michigan game, and you might just restore your reputation and credibility after failing to fulfill this promise (http://www.utahby5.com/showthread.php?1267-Utes-vs-St-Katherine-s-of-the-Poor-Official-Game-Thread&p=28662&viewfull=1#post28662):

How to Paint Your Body in Your Team Colors (http://www.howcast.com/videos/2613-How-to-Paint-Your-Body-in-Your-Team-Colors)

FountainOfUte
01-08-2014, 04:53 PM
...what is the minimum record at the end of the regular season that Whit retains his job for sure.

I think he can survive another 5-7. Whether he should or not is a whole different debate.

LA Ute
01-08-2014, 04:56 PM
I think he can survive another 5-7. Whether he should or not is a whole different debate.

Another 5-7 season will bring this:

sancho
01-08-2014, 04:57 PM

If it's a 5-7 like this years without any horrible losses and with noticeable improvement on offense, then he should. If it's a 5-7 because we lose 12 starters to ACLs, then he should. I don't like that we fans work in absolutes with numbers.

SoCalPat
01-08-2014, 05:06 PM

Short of 3 wins or less, I think Kyle is our coach in 2015, but that year is set up where we have to win at least 7 games. Then again, the 2015 slate is so favorable for us (7 home games, right end of the 5-4 split in league games, likely either Oregon or Stanford comes off schedule, UCLA and ASU at RES), wouldn't that be the best scenario in which to break in a new coach?

I think Kyle deserves 5 years in the Pac-12, and Utah is the kind of program where we can afford to fire a coach a year late, and we can't afford to fire one a year early. Kyle has no excuses in 2015. It makes the decision that much easier. If we're debating whether or not he's fired at 5-7 vs. 6-6, then you err on the side of caution and give him another year when (presumably) he's got everything in place two years running AND the schedule is noticeably easier.

Jarid in Cedar
01-08-2014, 05:56 PM
Short of 3 wins or less, I think Kyle is our coach in 2015, but that year is set up where we have to win at least 7 games. Then again, the 2015 slate is so favorable for us (7 home games, right end of the 5-4 split in league games, likely either Oregon or Stanford comes off schedule, UCLA and ASU at RES), wouldn't that be the best scenario in which to break in a new coach?

I think Kyle deserves 5 years in the Pac-12, and Utah is the kind of program where we can afford to fire a coach a year late, and we can't afford to fire one a year early. Kyle has no excuses in 2015. It makes the decision that much easier. If we're debating whether or not he's fired at 5-7 vs. 6-6, then you err on the side of caution and give him another year when (presumably) he's got everything in place two years running AND the schedule is noticeably easier.

If you look at the rotation, I would guess that Wazzu and OSU are the teams we miss in 2015-16. I based this on the fact that they are the only 2 northern division teams that we will have played the first 4 seasons in the conference.

Utah
01-08-2014, 06:46 PM
Yes, 6 wins and he's safe. He should be safe regardless, but fans don't work like that. One more win this year, and there would have never been any hot seat discussions.

This. I don't think highly of people who want Whitt gone. There is a reason Utah is ranked so high by Sagarin with 7 losses.

And it's not because Whitt is a bad coach.

Respect the process. This will be the first year we have any semblance of PAC-12 depth. It takes time.

Utah
01-08-2014, 06:50 PM

2015 is when we can really start to judge Whitt. By the his first PAC-12 QB class would have 4 years in the program (which isn't true because of Wilson and Hansen). As long as the team fights, doesn't quit and competitive, the fire Whitt calls are silly until then.

Rocker Ute
01-08-2014, 06:56 PM

I think he is as well, and I think he should be too. I've gone over a few times why he deserves all 5 years to execute his plan and my guess is that Hill is on board with this plan. Most importantly, I am unaware of any real boosters calling for Whittingham to go, just the standard FB, UF.n and Twitter knuckleheads.

But I don't think it matters, I think we go 7-5 in the regular season anyway, 8-5 after the bowl.

sancho
01-08-2014, 07:25 PM
Respect the process. This will be the first year we have any semblance of PAC-12 depth. It takes time.

It takes time, ability, and luck. Whitt has the ability - we have to see if he has the time and luck.

sancho
01-09-2014, 08:54 AM
No consecutive road games in 2014, except the UCLA/OSU games which are broken up with a bye. That's nice.

Oregon (Nov 8), Arizona (Nov 22), and @ CU (Nov 29) are the potential cold weather games.

The USC, @ASU, OU, @Stanford stretch is brutal. Will any team in the nation have a tougher four game stretch?

U-Ute
01-09-2014, 08:54 AM

Oh good. Maybe you'll overpower my Kiss Of Death presence.

SoCalPat
01-09-2014, 10:54 AM
If you look at the rotation, I would guess that Wazzu and OSU are the teams we miss in 2015-16. I based this on the fact that they are the only 2 northern division teams that we will have played the first 4 seasons in the conference.

Before Oregon and Stanford were added, we all were told we'd be losing WSU and Cal. Instead it was UW and Cal. I think we catch another break and Oregon is dropped from the schedule (it would be Stanford's turn to come to RES in 2015 as things stand now), along with Wazzu.

sancho
01-09-2014, 11:01 AM
Before Oregon and Stanford were added, we all were told we'd be losing WSU and Cal. Instead it was UW and Cal. I think we catch another break and Oregon is dropped from the schedule (it would be Stanford's turn to come to RES in 2015 as things stand now), along with Wazzu.

I don't get this. How can they not do a regular rotation on this? WSU and OSU are the two teams we have not had off the schedule yet. It has to be them.

SoCalPat
01-09-2014, 12:32 PM
I don't get this. How can they not do a regular rotation on this? WSU and OSU are the two teams we have not had off the schedule yet. It has to be them.

I don't think it's that simple. What if us losing Wazzu and OSU gave another South team Wazzu, OSU, Cal, Utah and Colorado on the schedule?

This is the one benefit of the 5-4 split. You have to give your lesser teams a concession or two in scheduling. Not everything can be cast in stone. Additonally, for the benefit of our TV partners, it's in the league's best interests to create as many appealing games as possible. If you can do that by not staying true to a rotation, you do it.

SeattleUte
01-09-2014, 04:01 PM
2008 guarantees Kyle lifetime employment as Utah's coach.

Signed SeattleUte.

PS, see AJ's list of who's getting the Utah recruits.

roseparkutes
01-10-2014, 01:56 PM
last year I projected 8-4, a few balls fall in our favor we hit that mark. this year we need to get bowl eligible there is no tds for a give me win. I'm hoping for 6-6 or 7-5.

Scorcho
05-13-2014, 04:06 PM
looks to me lke there is an unofficial scheduling agreement between the Pac-12 and the B1G

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10927448/arizona-state-sun-devils-michigan-state-spartans-announce-home-home-series-2018-2019

I like it.