PDA

View Full Version : Doing time in The Big House in 2014 - who's coming with me?

U-Ute
01-30-2014, 09:22 AM
Since we're planning on being there, I thought I'd start this thread early as a place to get tips on buying tickets, making travel arrangements, scheduling potential meetups, as well as scouting our opponent and relishing in our victory.

It should be a fun game.

My wife and I went to the Notre Dame game in 2010. While the game didn't turn out as good as we hoped, we had a blast (and even ended up in a shot on NBC). We got there early and spent the whole morning on the campus seeing the sights. Its an amazing place. You can taste the history on that campus.

We're looking forward to this adventure. So any helpful info you can give us on what to see and do while we are there would be much appreciated.

Applejack
01-30-2014, 11:36 AM
Since we're planning on being there, I thought I'd start this thread early as a place to get tips on buying tickets, making travel arrangements, scheduling potential meetups, as well as scouting our opponent and relishing in our victory.

It should be a fun game.

My wife and I went to the Notre Dame game in 2010. While the game didn't turn out as good as we hoped, we had a blast (and even ended up in a shot on NBC). We got there early and spent the whole morning on the campus seeing the sights. Its an amazing place. You can taste the history on that campus.

We're looking forward to this adventure. So any helpful info you can give us on what to see and do while we are there would be much appreciated.

I'll be there with bells on. Looking forward to visiting D-Troit!

LA Ute
01-30-2014, 11:43 AM
We are planning on making the trip. Not sure if "we" means the entire family of 5 or just 3 of us.

U-Ute
01-30-2014, 01:36 PM
We are planning on making the trip. Not sure if "we" means the entire family of 5 or just 3 of us.

Yeah. That's where we're at as well. Somewhere between 2 and 6 is how many will travel.

DrumNFeather
01-30-2014, 01:45 PM
I'm "thinking" about it.

Applejack
01-30-2014, 02:47 PM
I'm "thinking" about it.

C'mon. You're an East Coast guy, right? This is the closest the Utes are coming to you in your lifetime.

hostile
01-30-2014, 02:52 PM
I need to check with my road trip buddies but I'm a tentative yes at this point.

Mormon Red Death
01-30-2014, 03:01 PM
I will be there

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

UTEopia
01-30-2014, 03:16 PM
My wife and I went the last two times and really had an enjoyable time. Ann Arbor is a great town and Michigan knows how to do game day. I don't think I can use the once in a lifetime chance again so I won't be going this time.

Diehard Ute
01-30-2014, 03:29 PM
My wife and I went the last two times and really had an enjoyable time. Ann Arbor is a great town and Michigan knows how to do game day. I don't think I can use the once in a lifetime chance again so I won't be going this time.

I can't use my once in a lifetime chance, so I give it to you.

tooblue
01-30-2014, 06:01 PM
I will be there

So, if I want to go and bring one of my sons are you going to get me seats at the opposite end of the stadium from you and Solon again? I wore red. My son and I cheered for the Utes. We don't stink.

Mormon Red Death
01-30-2014, 06:12 PM
So, if I want to go and bring one of my sons are you going to get me seats at the opposite end of the stadium from you and Solon again? I wore red. My son and I cheered for the Utes. We don't stink.

Only if your car doesnt break down before the game.

tooblue
01-30-2014, 06:19 PM
Only if your car doesnt break down before the game.

It didn't break down, it needed rear brakes. But I am looking forward to going to the game and actually watching the Utes play, at least once next season. Will they have a QB? How's that recruiting class? Has helping to pay for the limo paid dividends yet?

Mormon Red Death
01-30-2014, 06:23 PM
It didn't break down, it needed rear brakes. But I am looking forward to going to the game and actually watching the Utes play, at least once next season. Will they have a QB? How's that recruiting class? Has helping to pay for the limo paid dividends yet?

Did we drive it to the v game? No.... Therefore it was broken down

tooblue
01-30-2014, 06:36 PM
Did we drive it to the v game? No.... Therefore it was broken down

What are you talking about? We got to Ann Arbor and we were 5 minutes away from the stadium.

Mormon Red Death
01-30-2014, 08:13 PM
What are you talking about? We got to Ann Arbor and we were 5 minutes away from the stadium.

Yeah solon had to pay $20 to some Chinese guy to give us a ride over to the stadium.

DrumNFeather
01-30-2014, 08:14 PM
C'mon. You're an East Coast guy, right? This is the closest the Utes are coming to you in your lifetime.

They came to Pitt and UNC, but I hear ya!

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

Mormon Red Death
01-30-2014, 08:40 PM
They came to Pitt and UNC, but I hear ya!

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

Don't forget Louisville

roseparkutes
01-31-2014, 02:34 PM
we will be there. not sure how many of us are going, we also went to ND in 2010 one of the best sporting experiences of my life. can't wait BEAT BIG BLUE and GO UTES!

UTEopia
01-31-2014, 05:17 PM
I can't use my once in a lifetime chance, so I give it to you.

I appreciate that but we are really going on a once in a lifetime trip in late October to Israel, Egypt and Jordan. Unfortunately, we will miss both the USC and the Oregon games.

UteBeliever aka Port
01-31-2014, 06:47 PM
I went to the game last time the Utes played in Ann Arbor in 2008. I'd like to make the trip again. Not sure its in the cards this year. A lot of changes happening this year. I've got a lot of irons in the fire.

U-Ute
05-03-2014, 06:11 PM
Any tips on tickets? I see that they're available on StubHub for around $70, but I see that our athletic department is selling them for $80.

roseparkutes
07-01-2014, 09:22 AM
I just bought my tickets to the big house! who else is going? would love to get together and tailgate with some of you guys. GO UTES!!!

LA Ute
07-01-2014, 09:25 AM
We are hoping to go. Did you buy your tix directly from Michigan?

U-Ute
07-01-2014, 09:31 AM
Doing time in The Big House in 2014 who's coming with me (http://www.utahby5.com/showthread.php?1375-Doing-time-in-The-Big-House-in-2014-who-s-coming-with-me)

Thread dup.

We will have 7 there: 4 from my family, and 3 friends who live in Chicago.

We bought our tickets through the U. Michigan appears to sell theirs through StubHub, and I found that the U was only $5-$10 more per seat. A premium I am happy to pay to celebrate with my fellow Ute fans.

U-Ute
07-01-2014, 09:34 AM
An interesting tidbit we found concerning accommodations:

On football weekends, the hotels reserve a certain number of rooms for locals. I tried booking a room online, and anything within a 10 mile radius was listed as "full". One of the friends we are going with knows someone in Ann Arbor (which is how we found out about this trick) who called around for us and found a hotel 2 miles from the stadium.

concerned
07-01-2014, 09:47 AM
my family was considering it, but plane fare so far is astronomical.

Applejack
07-01-2014, 11:29 AM
Any tips on tickets? I see that they're available on StubHub for around $70, but I see that our athletic department is selling them for $80.

In my opinion, there is almost no reason to buy tickets now. Their price on stubhub is going to come down. I'm planning on scalping on game day - and I'm looking for 9 tickets.

Mormon Red Death
07-01-2014, 11:36 AM
In my opinion, there is almost no reason to buy tickets now. Their price on stubhub is going to come down. I'm planning on scalping on game day - and I'm looking for 9 tickets.

I bought tickets in 03 for $50 6 row 50 yardline

Mormon Red Death
07-01-2014, 11:39 AM
I'm going but I'm not sure if I will take my 7 year old son. 3+hours might be too much for him. Any thoughts on, this? He does OK at baseball games and great at college bball games.

sancho
07-01-2014, 11:47 AM
I'm going but I'm not sure if I will take my 7 year old son. 3+hours might be too much for him. Any thoughts on, this? He does OK at baseball games and great at college bball games.

I took my 6 year old to Stanford last year and to CU the year before. We'll go to CU this year too. He does alright, and it's really fun to celebrate with him (storm the field vs Stanford!). Bring some candy. My son loves peanuts, so a bag of unshelled peanuts keeps him busy for a while. I say go for it, but know there's a chance you'll have to visit the restroom in the middle of a crucial drive.

NorthwestUteFan
07-01-2014, 08:58 PM
I will be there with my 12 yr old son. My brother will bring either his 12 yr old daughter or 9 yr old son. I think either my sister or my BIL (the Aggie fan) will come and bring their 8 yr old daughter, and my parents will round out to 8.

And thanks for the tip on hotels. We already have tickets but might need to work some magic to get hotels.

roseparkutes
07-03-2014, 07:25 AM
sorry about the DUP thread. I bought my tickets from Michigan's website, after taxes and fees each ticket was about $75 got 5 together. cant wait till September, that weekend will be amazing for me with the utes winning in the big house and the packers beating the lions!

U-Ute
07-07-2014, 02:10 PM
Merged threads.

SigmaUte
07-14-2014, 12:21 PM
I'll be making the trip to Ann Arbor for the game. I live in Iowa City so I'm trying to decide whether to fly or drive. Any advice on getting hotels rooms?

roseparkutes
07-15-2014, 09:24 AM
I'll be making the trip to Ann Arbor for the game. I live in Iowa City so I'm trying to decide whether to fly or drive. Any advice on getting hotels rooms?

we are staying in Ann Arbor other then Detroit. it seems like Ann Arbor is quite more expensive but a lot safer.

Applejack
07-15-2014, 09:39 AM

If you drive there are some CHEAP hotels. Kayak tells me that you can stay for $42. I don't vouch for the cleanliness of the rooms, but I do vouch for the price.

You can also look into renting an apartment via airbnb among others. That's what we are doing.

Diehard Ute
07-15-2014, 03:06 PM
If you drive there are some CHEAP hotels. Kayak tells me that you can stay for $42. I don't vouch for the cleanliness of the rooms, but I do vouch for the price.

You can also look into renting an apartment via airbnb among others. That's what we are doing.

I know what rooms in Salt Lake that go for $45 are like.....you'd probably rather sleep in a park.

Mormon Red Death
07-15-2014, 04:14 PM
You can get $110 a night Holiday Inn Express in Farmington or Dearborn which is only 20 minutes from the stadium pretty easily

roseparkutes
07-25-2014, 10:11 AM
got my tickets in the mail today!

MountVanCott
07-29-2014, 09:47 AM
Is it pretty decent in Farmington or Dearborn? I would like to return from my trip with a win and my life.

Applejack
07-29-2014, 09:51 AM
Is it pretty decent in Farmington or Dearborn? I would like to return from my trip with a win and my life.

You'll survive. But bring a bow staff just in case.

Mormon Red Death
07-29-2014, 10:25 AM

Yes you will be fine plus some great middle Eastern food.

Mormon Red Death
07-29-2014, 10:26 AM

Farmington Hills mi = Farmington ut

Applejack
07-29-2014, 11:02 AM
Farmington Hills mi = Farmington ut

It's What Fun Is!

SigmaUte
08-04-2014, 08:39 PM
Does anyone have any idea what time this game is supposed to start yet? I haven't seen anything announced, but wasn't sure if there was information floating around that I wasn't aware of.

Mormon Red Death
08-04-2014, 09:53 PM
Does anyone have any idea what time this game is supposed to start yet? I haven't seen anything announced, but wasn't sure if there was information floating around that I wasn't aware of.

I bet it will start at noon Eastern

SigmaUte
08-08-2014, 08:03 PM
Bought my tickets and booked my hotel. Will be in Michigan Stadium on Sept. 20th too see the Utes & will be signing Utah Man after they win. Hope to see you guys there.

Applejack
09-12-2014, 09:12 AM
I am so stoked for next week! Any suggestions on Ann Arbor meals/activities/farmers markets? High class establishments only, please.

Mormon Red Death
09-12-2014, 10:01 PM
I am so stoked for next week! Any suggestions on Ann Arbor meals/activities/farmers markets? High class establishments only, please.

The Gandy dancer brunch on Sunday.

Zinger man's deli in Kerry yown

Mexicantown (detroit) has great Mexican food

Applejack
09-13-2014, 12:25 PM
The Gandy dancer brunch on Sunday.

Zinger man's deli in Kerry yown

Mexicantown (detroit) has great Mexican food

Thanks! I knew I could count on you for a brunch spot!

Mormon Red Death
09-13-2014, 04:36 PM
Thanks! I knew I could count on you for a brunch spot!

Since you wanted classy