PDA

View Full Version : University of Utah: 2004 and 2008 National Champions

SoCalPat
01-31-2014, 08:38 AM
Screw what others think (and screw others who care what others think), we should declare ourselves national champions in those years. Auburn is going to certainly claim at least one national championship from past years, Utah should as well.

http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Auburn-may-recognize-more-National-Championships-174444

The 2008 team has the strongest case. It was No. 1 by what the NCAA considers a "major selector" by several groups, including half of the BCS computer polls. Why USC's 2002 team gets listed as a "national champion" because it finished atop Jeff Sagarin's poll, but Utah doesn't for doing likewise is beyond me.

The 2004 team is a bit trickier, but if Auburn wants to make that claim, it opens up the door for Utah to do likewise. Both Auburn and Utah had similar SOS (Auburn was 60th, Utah was 67th), and in Sagarin's Predictor rankings, Utah would be favored against Oklahoma AND Auburn on a neutral field. Interestingly enough, only USC, Louisville and Cal would have been favored over Utah in 2004. The latter two teams lost games (Cal lost twice) and USC cheated.

We're No. 1. Raise the banner, bitches.

Utah
01-31-2014, 09:40 AM
I have no problem with that. Just make sure that on the banner it reads "2008 National Champions" and on the next line something to the effect of "awarded by blah, blah, and blah".

Utah
01-31-2014, 09:43 AM
Anyways, how is that any different than every coffee shop saying, "world's best coffee"?

SoCalPat
01-31-2014, 10:48 AM
Anyways, how is that any different than every coffee shop saying, "world's best coffee"?

Find me the Jeff Sagarin or Peter Wolfe of coffee rankings and then I will answer your question.

SoCalPat
01-31-2014, 10:49 AM
I have no problem with that. Just make sure that on the banner it reads "2008 National Champions" and on the next line something to the effect of "awarded by blah, blah, and blah".

Screw that sentiment too. No apologies. No disclaimers. You're only trying to appeal to the self-loathing within your fanbase and your critics by doing that.

sancho
01-31-2014, 11:48 AM
Yes. When I'm president of the USA, I will give national titles to all unbeaten teams in history and invite them to the white house. Just remind everyone how much of a joke it all was.1998 Tulane might be first on the list.

Applejack
01-31-2014, 12:03 PM
All I know is that Rick Reilly agrees (http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3815656) with SoCalPat. That should be enough for a banner.

U-Ute
01-31-2014, 12:39 PM
All I know is that Rick Reilly agrees (http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3815656) with SoCalPat. That should be enough for a banner.

Maybe Reilly should award his own #1 every year, like the API and UP folks did. Then we could get his trophy.

roseparkutes
01-31-2014, 02:35 PM
2008 for sure. we should of been at least awarded the AP national championship.

SeattleUte
01-31-2014, 02:51 PM
I've always said this for 2008 because the computers back it up.

SoCalPat
02-01-2014, 09:21 AM
2008 for sure. we should of been at least awarded the AP national championship.

We got 17 first place votes without campaigning. An aggressive effort in that regard might have gotten us over the top. Think we couldn't use that kind of juice on the recruiting trail today? But our sports information people can't get Luther Elliss on the College Football Hall of Fame ballot, so clearly this was too big of a task and not one it could undertake successfully.

Utah
02-01-2014, 09:53 AM
We got 17 first place votes without campaigning. An aggressive effort in that regard might have gotten us over the top. Think we couldn't use that kind of juice on the recruiting trail today? But our sports information people can't get Luther Elliss on the College Football Hall of Fame ballot, so clearly this was too big of a task and not one it could undertake successfully.

In a lot of ways, we are still a MWC school. This is a problem that hopefully can be fixed as our resources grow. BUT, we have to start making bowl games. Bowl games are huge. When you play in a bowl game, no one cares if you are 10-2 or 6-6. Once postseason starts, perception changes and everyone is one of three levels, regardless of record: BCS Bowl team, bowl team or non-bowl loser.

We HAVE to get to Bowl games. I LOVE Whitt. I feel he is a great coach that was put in a really, really tough situation. There is a HUGE divide between non-BCS and BCS, and no, Utah winning three games against BCS teams a year and a crap schedule doesn't prove that non-BCS is just as good. We had no depth. BUT, we have to make a bowl.

NOW, I think that we actually have depth this year. We won't have walk-ons starting at the most important position anymore, and if we have an injury or two, we won't have no bodies left (TE last year). It might not be elite depth, but it is BCS depth.

Throw in the success of RS freshmen all over the country, Christensen's success with true freshmen, and Christensen's success as an OC, I think we surprise people this year. Whoever the QB will be, he will be an improvement over Schulz and Hays, and we will make a bowl this year.