PDA

View Full Version : The Official Utah Utes postseason thread

Pages : 1 [2]

DrumNFeather
03-13-2014, 03:04 PM
Only one.

Renovation schedule for the JMHC won't allow any more per Steve Pyne.

What the...? Come on Chris, push it back a week!

Diehard Ute
03-13-2014, 03:14 PM
What the...? Come on Chris, push it back a week!

They can't and have it done on time. They're having to remove the scoreboard and floor first.

Graduation already costs them time as they have to put a temporary floor in.

DrumNFeather
03-13-2014, 03:30 PM
They can't and have it done on time. They're having to remove the scoreboard and floor first.

Graduation already costs them time as they have to put a temporary floor in.

Ah, makes sense. Still, I wonder if they could work something out at ESA or something if Utah was say, a 1 or 2 seed.

LA Ute
03-13-2014, 03:50 PM
Ah, makes sense. Still, I wonder if they could work something out at ESA or something if Utah was say, a 1 or 2 seed.

Maybe BYU would let us use...no, never mind.

concerned
03-13-2014, 03:56 PM
Maybe BYU would let us use...no, never mind.

My fondest wish is that BYU misses the bubble and gives us an NIT home game.

sancho
03-13-2014, 04:21 PM

Yes, must root for cal, other bubbles, and an upsets in the big east and mwc.

LA Ute
03-13-2014, 06:40 PM

You want to play BYU in the NIT?

concerned
03-13-2014, 07:16 PM

Absolutely, because I think we will crush them at home, beat them on the road, esp. without Collinsworth.

LA Ute
03-13-2014, 09:00 PM
Absolutely, because I think we will crush them at home, beat them on the road, esp. without Collinsworth.

That would indeed be a nice way to end the season.

Applejack
03-14-2014, 08:25 AM

Who doesn't? Utah-BYU was my favorite game of the season!

Utah
03-14-2014, 01:07 PM

Was, being the key word. ;)

I honestly think in 5-10 years most people will think about the BYU/Utah game the same way we do the USU/Utah game...BYU fans will live for it, and we will hope we can pull the starters by the third quarter so we don't have anyone hurt for the Arizona games coming up in a few weeks.

By the way, I really, really dislike those Arizona teams. Like, big time.

LA Ute
03-14-2014, 01:58 PM

See post No. 259.

sancho
03-14-2014, 10:41 PM
Who wants Utah vs Marshall Henderson in the NIT?

DrumNFeather
03-15-2014, 05:41 AM
UVU gets an auto bid as a regular season champ. I can see them taking a bus ride up I 15 for a first round NIT game.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk

Mormon Red Death
03-16-2014, 04:51 PM
When do the nit brackets come out? They start tomorrow

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

DrumNFeather
03-16-2014, 04:56 PM
When do the nit brackets come out? They start tomorrow

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

8:30 Eastern

DrumNFeather
03-16-2014, 04:56 PM
On ESPN U

DrumNFeather
03-16-2014, 06:42 PM
Number 1 seeds in the NIT: Minnesota, St. Johns, SMU, Florida St.

DrumNFeather
03-16-2014, 06:47 PM
Utah the #5 seed taking on St. Marys in the Minnesota Quadrant. Tueday, ESPN2

Mormon Red Death
03-16-2014, 06:48 PM
Utah the #5 seed taking on St. Marys in the Minnesota Quadrant. Tueday, ESPN2

I thought we were getting a home game??

kccougar
03-16-2014, 06:53 PM
I thought we were getting a home game??

Sorry. Utes' performance in your last game relegated you to playing in a high school gym :)

DrumNFeather
03-16-2014, 07:11 PM
Here's a quick search scouting report on St. Marys:

Record: 22-11
4th place team in the WCC
Key Wins: Louisiana Tech, NDSU, Boise St., American U, San Francisco
Key Losses: Gonzaga (3 times), BYU (twice), George Mason, Hawaii, S. Carolina

Leading scorer: B. Wadlow (15.9 ppg)

PPG: 72 (141)

RPI Rank: 60
BPI Rank: 62

sancho
03-16-2014, 07:21 PM
Here's a quick search scouting report on St. Marys:

Record: 22-11
4th place team in the WCC
Key Wins: Louisiana Tech, NDSU, Boise St., American U, San Francisco
Key Losses: Gonzaga (3 times), BYU (twice), George Mason, Hawaii, S. Carolina

Leading scorer: B. Wadlow (15.9 ppg)

PPG: 72 (141)

RPI Rank: 60
BPI Rank: 62

Bummed to not get a home game. Not sure we can play on the road. I don't mind our bracket though.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

LA Ute
03-16-2014, 07:45 PM
Sorry. Utes' performance in your last game relegated you to playing in a high school gym :)

The type of gym where you guys play almost every conference game...:p

tooblue
03-16-2014, 07:47 PM
I guess plastering PAC 12 stickers every where doesn't get you as much as one might think :) The poor non conference schedule coupled with weak in conference opponents adds up to an appropriate NIT bid for a Utah team that surprised and has a very bright future. Larry and the Utes are going to have to take some scheduling chances next year if they don't want a repeat of this year.

LA Ute
03-16-2014, 07:54 PM
So the only way we get a home game at all is of we play a lower seed? So Davidson, Toledo or High Point need to upset their opponents for that to happen? Wow.

SeattleUte
03-16-2014, 07:58 PM
Considering those of us who think clearly were all for firing Giacoletti and Boylen after year three for each of them and we love Kodiac, I see progress. I predict they handle St. Mary's.

SeattleUte
03-16-2014, 08:05 PM
I guess plastering PAC 12 stickers every where doesn't get you as much as one might think :) The poor non conference schedule coupled with weak in conference opponents adds up to an appropriate NIT bid for a Utah team that surprised and has a very bright future. Larry and the Utes are going to have to take some scheduling chances next year if they don't want a repeat of this year.

Utah didn't play a weak in-conference schedule you nit wit. Six Pac 12 teams are going to the NCAA playoffs, incuding a no. 1 seed Utah played three times, and a 4 seed it playing twice beat once.

Utah is a better team than BYU, killed BYU in the head to head, and Utah has beaten better teams. BYU got into the NCAA playoffs because it played tough teams in the preseason even though it lost to all of the good teams except Stanford, and has not beaten a ranked non-conference team in a hundred years. The NCAA has to reward teams like BYU for playing good teams and losing to them to encourage interesting scheduling in the pre-season or the pre-season which lasts for two months could get pretty boring. It's a business decision by the NCAA and a sweet deal for programs in patsy conferences who can pad their records with in-conference wins. Utah should have scheduled better in the pre-season.

kccougar
03-16-2014, 08:15 PM
The type of gym where you guys play almost every conference game...:p

That hadn't occurred to me at all.

tooblue
03-16-2014, 09:14 PM
Utah didn't play a weak in-conference schedule you nit wit. Six Pac 12 teams are going to the NCAA playoffs, incuding a no. 1 seed Utah played three times, and a 4 seed it playing twice beat once.

Utah is a better team than BYU, killed BYU in the head to head, and Utah has beaten better teams. BYU got into the NCAA playoffs because it played tough teams in the preseason even though it lost to all of the good teams except Stanford, and has not beaten a ranked non-conference team in a hundred years. The NCAA has to reward teams like BYU for playing good teams and losing to them to encourage interesting scheduling in the pre-season or the pre-season which lasts for two months could get pretty boring. It's a business decision by the NCAA and a sweet deal for programs in patsy conferences who can pad their records with in-conference wins. Utah should have scheduled better in the pre-season.

Sorry, just being honest. BYU lost to and beat good teams out of conference and was rewarded a 10 seed for it's aggressive scheduling and based upon the traditional strength of the teams in it's conference ... not to mention it's recent history in the tournament. The best "business" decision Utah can make going forward is to stop trying to convince itself and it's fan base that it's big time. Accept your place in the college athletics universe. Hades, consider how Utah is viewed by the NIT? That tells us everything we need to know about Utah basketball at this juncture.

LA Ute
03-16-2014, 09:20 PM
Sorry, just being honest. BYU lost to and beat good teams out of conference and was rewarded a 10 seed for it's aggressive scheduling and based upon the traditional strength of the teams in it's conference ... not to mention it's recent history in the tournament. The best "business" decision Utah can make going forward is to stop trying to convince itself and it's fan base that it's big time. Accept your place in the college athletics universe. Hades, consider how Utah is viewed by the NIT? That tells us everything we need to know about Utah basketball at this juncture.

Utah
03-16-2014, 09:27 PM

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

The fact that you are a cougar fan makes this so funny.

Recent history in the tournament? *snicker*

Too rich.

I think every sentence you wrote is very ironic. And funny.

Scorcho
03-16-2014, 09:29 PM
MWC's teams got a #4 and #7 seed, both better than the WCC seeds. Seems to me BYU would have been better off staying in the MWC. They would have played a much more difficult schedule.

tooblue
03-16-2014, 09:33 PM
MWC's teams got a #4 and #7 seed, both better than the WCC seeds. Seems to me BYU would have been better off staying in the MWC. They would have played a much more difficult schedule.

From the looks of it Utah is the team that would've benefited most by staying in the MWC ... The Utes might still be relevant in both basketball and football.

UTEopia
03-16-2014, 09:43 PM
Is there an ignore feature on this website?

UTEopia
03-16-2014, 09:51 PM
Although I would have enjoyed the opportunity of watching the Utes live once again this year, I think this gives the this team an opportunity to improve in at least one area they have been deficient in all season. The Utes have beaten NCAA bound teams at home this year, UCLA, Colorado, ASU and BYU. They have only one good road win, at Cal, and now have the opportunity to go on the road and get that monkey off their backs. St. Mary's is a decent team, but hardly unbeatable. I suspect that the Utes will be favored. Beat them and then a chance to go into the Big 10 and beat the Gophers.

LA Ute
03-16-2014, 09:52 PM
Yes. Go to Settings, My Settings, My Account, and then Edit Ignore List. You can add the user names of those you want to ignore.

Utah
03-16-2014, 10:04 PM
Tooblue - the definition of a troll. Lol.

Scorcho
03-16-2014, 10:13 PM
I feel bad for KC Cougar and Tooblue. They couldn't troll after football or basketball games with Utah and to my knowledge there is no scripture chase or clogging competitions between the two schools. Thats a lot of pent up frustration that needs an outlet.

You go girls.

kccougar
03-16-2014, 10:26 PM
I feel bad for KC Cougar and Tooblue. They couldn't troll after football or basketball games with Utah and to my knowledge there is no scripture chase or clogging competitions between the two schools. Thats a lot of pent up frustration that needs an outlet.

You go girls.

I was giving LA Ute an opportunity to make a WCC gym joke. He owes me one.

sancho
03-16-2014, 10:37 PM

They'd have finished fourth or fifth in the mwc and missed the tournament. No, the wcc is the perfect spot for them. Impossible to finish below second place in what has been deemed a two bid league.

SeattleUte
03-16-2014, 11:07 PM

Okay, using "it's" once in a post as the possessive means you get the beneift of the doubt that it's a typo and it's not that you're a functional illiterate. But when it's done three times in five lines its author is just a fucking idiot pure and simple. You graduated from BYU?

LA Ute
03-17-2014, 12:41 AM
I was giving LA Ute an opportunity to make a WCC gym joke. He owes me one.

Oh, bother.

Viking
03-17-2014, 05:03 AM
BYU in the tourney is an absolute joke. If and ONLY if they were to be in the dance, they should have to "play in". The team lacks heart, guts, skill and instinct.

tooblue
03-17-2014, 08:47 AM
Okay, using "it's" once in a post as the possessive means you get the beneift of the doubt that it's a typo and it's not that you're a functional illiterate. But when it's done three times in five lines its author is just a fucking idiot pure and simple. You graduated from BYU?

It's a message board counsellor. I often respond using a variety of devices such as a phone, an iPad etc. Like the rest of you I don't worry much about grammar and spelling, because only a dipshit who other wise lacks a cogent thought or argument on the subject at hand would choose to denigrate another poster because of the misuse of "the possessive."

lol

I did not attend BYU or the U of U. But you knew that. Hey, how's the novel coming? Have you reconsidered my suggestion to position it as the source for a graphic novel? Others thought I was being cheeky, but I was serious. The upward trend of graphic novels being used as source material for film and other media was readily apparent. Hollywood didn't even go to the original source material to make a movie about Noah instead opting to adapt a graphic novel "interpretation" for the narrative. You have a good piece of writing. Think outside the box.

Solon
03-17-2014, 09:02 AM
It's a message board counsellor. I often respond using a variety of devices such as a phone, an iPad etc. Like the rest of you I don't worry much about grammar and spelling, because only dipshit who other wise lacks a cogent thought or argument on the subject at hand would choose to denigrate another poster because of the misuse of "the possessive."

lol

I did not attend BYU or the U of U. But you knew that. Hey, how's the novel coming? Have you reconsidered my suggestion to position it as the source for a graphic novel? Others thought I was being cheeky, but I was serious. The upward trend of graphic novels being used as source material for film and other media was readily apparent. Hollywood didn't even go to the original source material to make a movie about Noah instead opting to adapt a graphic novel "interpretation" for the narrative. You have a good piece of writing. Think outside the box.

tooblue is a good guy even if he's a lousy troll.
In a way, I relate to him - he's really just an apostate Ute.
He can leave, but he can't leave the Utes alone.

U-Ute
03-17-2014, 09:36 AM

:blink:

U-Ute
03-17-2014, 09:41 AM
Bummed to not get a home game. Not sure we can play on the road. I don't mind our bracket though.

I'm not sure any location where the home school draws a little over 2000 is really considered a "road game".

sancho
03-17-2014, 09:45 AM
I'm not sure any location where the home school draws a little over 2000 is really considered a "road game".

Road woes have to do with more than just the crowd (though my understanding is that St Mary's is a "loud" 2,000). Refs are a big reason road games are tough. They say that new gyms are hard to adjust to, though I don't understand why.

LA Ute
03-17-2014, 10:04 AM
I am not optimistic about beating Minnesota and Missouri on their home floors (assuming we get past St. Mary). They're not bad teams at all and have some good wins.

Minnesota took Michigan state to OT before losing; beat Ohio State, Wisconsin and Indiana.

Missouri has a win over UCLA. They lost to Florida 74-49 in their final game. (Hey, they look kind of like us.)

That's tough pathway for us, especially on the road. But we're sports fans. How cool would it be if the Utes figured out how to win on the road and got to Madison Square Garden?

SeattleUte
03-17-2014, 10:19 AM
It's a message board counsellor. I often respond using a variety of devices such as a phone, an iPad etc. Like the rest of you I don't worry much about grammar and spelling, because only a dipshit who other wise lacks a cogent thought or argument on the subject at hand would choose to denigrate another poster because of the misuse of "the possessive."

lol

Not sure which novel you mean, but I have one coming out on November 15, issued by an independent literary press in Connecticut.

LA Ute
03-17-2014, 02:31 PM
In the "small world" category, my daughter, age 16, is flying home to L.A. from Utah today. She called me from SLC Airport to say, "Dad, guess who's here with me?" I couldn't guess, so she told me: Kodiak and the team are on her flight. Also that Kodiak himself is sitting next to her. I didn't get a chance to tell her what to say to him or ask him. I just thought it was great. She was soooo excited.

Report coming later.

concerned
03-17-2014, 02:38 PM
why is the team flying to LA instead of SF? Are they on Malaysian Arilines (too soon, I know.)

Scorcho
03-17-2014, 02:41 PM
why is the team flying to LA instead of SF? Are they on Malaysian Arilines (too soon, I know.)

guessing - last minute flight they took what they could get which might mean a stop in LA ???

concerned
03-17-2014, 02:44 PM
guessing - last minute flight they took what they could get which might mean a stop in LA ???

Either that or LA Ute is so cheap he made his daughter go through Oakland on Southwest.

DrumNFeather
03-17-2014, 03:06 PM
In the "small world" category, my daughter, age 16, is flying home to L.A. from Utah today. She called me from SLC Airport to say, "Dad, guess who's here with me?" I couldn't guess, so she told me: Kodiak and the team are on her flight. Also that Kodiak himself is sitting next to her. I didn't get a chance to tell her what to say to him or ask him. I just thought it was great. She was soooo excited.

Report coming later.

"Something to drink for you...?"

"I'll have a diet coke, and a rebounding coach for him." (I kid, I kid).

LA Ute
03-17-2014, 04:06 PM
Either that or LA Ute is so cheap he made his daughter go through Oakland on Southwest.

She was on a direct Southwest flight from SLC to LAX. (Minors can't go on connecting flights unaccompanied.) I don't know why the Ute team went through LA. I can say that direct flights from SLC to CA cities are hard to find this time of year, especially on short notice. (They're also very expensive, thank you very much.) So maybe all those factors are at work.

LA Ute
03-18-2014, 12:00 PM
Nice summary/analysis on pachoops.com:

http://pachoops.com/2014/03/cal-utah-oregon-state-in-a-tournament/

Read the whole thing. Here's a tidbit:

Oh, that’s just wins you say? Well I’ve long said it’s my favorite statistic and it doesn’t lie very often. Utah is headed in the right direction, a post-season invite is proof of it. A five seed in the NIT is proof they hadn’t been in the right direction. But that’s what March is for. Prove somebody wrong.

chrisrenrut
03-18-2014, 01:16 PM
Nice summary/analysis on pachoops.com:

http://pachoops.com/2014/03/cal-utah-oregon-state-in-a-tournament/

Read the whole thing. Here's a tidbit:

There is some "lies, damn lies, and statistics" in that graph, with our pre-conference schedule this year. A more accurate trajectory may be to look at PAC 12 wins each year (including tournament):

2011-2012- 3 wins
2012-2013- 7 wins
2013-2014- 10 wins

LA Ute
03-18-2014, 01:37 PM
There is some "lies, damn lies, and statistics" in that graph, with our pre-conference schedule this year. A more accurate trajectory may be to look at PAC 12 wins each year (including tournament):

2011-2012- 3 wins
2012-2013- 7 wins
2013-2014- 10 wins

Hold on just a second. If you use just PAC-12 wins, isn't the line going in the same direction? Also, our entire non-con schedule doesn't deserve to be thrown out. Pre-season cupcakes are part of the landscape for major conference programs. Minnesota, a 1 seed in the NIT, had a pretty good strength of schedule -- 9th, according to CBS Sports at one point: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology/sos. And yet their first 7 games were against Cardinal Stritch, Concordia-St. Paul, Lehigh, Montana, Richmond, Coastal Carolina, and Wofford. Then they got into the Maui Invitational and played Syracuse, Arkansas and Chaminade. The next five were Florida State, New Orleans, Nebraska-Omaha, and Texas A&M Corpus Christi. Then they had their Big 10 schedule. Our non-con schedule was terribly weak but it was not meaningless.

sancho
03-18-2014, 01:47 PM
Hold on just a second. If you use just PAC-12 wins, isn't the line going in the same direction? Also, our entire non-con schedule doesn't deserve to be thrown out. Pre-season cupcakes are part of the landscape for major conference programs. Minnesota, a 1 seed in the NIT, had a pretty good strength of schedule -- 9th, according to CBS Sports at one point: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology/sos. And yet their first 7 games were against Cardinal Stritch, Concordia-St. Paul, Lehigh, Montana, Richmond, Coastal Carolina, and Wofford. Then they got into the Maui Invitational and played Syracuse, Arkansas and Chaminade. The next five were Florida State, New Orleans, Nebraska-Omaha, and Texas A&M Corpus Christi. Then they had their Big 10 schedule. Our non-con schedule was terribly weak but it was not meaningless.

Again, the difference maker as far as RPI SOS is concerned is not playing good teams, it's playing "less bad" teams. It's playing #175 instead of #275.

tooblue
03-18-2014, 02:12 PM
Not sure which novel you mean, but I have one coming out on November 15, issued by an independent literary press in Connecticut.

It was a historical fiction piece: Rome, young man from a good family in love being sent away to war or to the provinces etc. ... sounds like you may have moved on with other works. Congratulations on being published.

SoCalPat
03-18-2014, 02:29 PM

The first two games are non-D1, and don't count toward RPI.

Of the rest of Minnesota's non-con, the team with the worst RPI was New Orleans, which was 260th. Utah had SIX games against worse teams, and it would certainly had been 7 if Grand Canyon wasn't forced to play a disproportionate number of road games (an RPI booster if there ever was one).

Utah's non-con wasn't meaningless? Seriously? It's what kept us out of the tournament. Sounds pretty meaningful to me, just not for the reasons we would have liked.

chrisrenrut
03-18-2014, 02:45 PM

Yes, both are still trending up. But there is an difference in trajectory. You have to admit, there is much more consistency in playing the teams within your conference than the pre-conference schedules from year to year.

LA Ute
03-18-2014, 03:46 PM
Yes, both are still trending up. But there is an difference in trajectory. You have to admit, there is much more consistency in playing the teams within your conference than the pre-conference schedules from year to year.

That makes sense.

Utah's non-con wasn't meaningless? Seriously? It's what kept us out of the tournament. Sounds pretty meaningful to me, just not for the reasons we would have liked.

Yes, seriously. Don't get worked up, not every idea that you don't necessarily accept is moronic. I'm not defending the schedule. I'm saying it's not reasonable to pretend the non-con games were not played and to measure progress only against conference games. But it's not an important point because there is a clear upward trend even if you limit the standard to conference games. I'm just saying Utah's 2014 record doesn't get an asterisk.

Utah
03-18-2014, 04:31 PM

You keep saying that the whole point of the RPI is to encourage "top rated" matchups early in the year. Basically, what you are saying is Utah should be held out of the tournament because they played Lamar, Cal Davis, Texas State, Idaho State, Savannah State instead of the Citadel, Tennessee St, Tennessee Tech, South Carolina Upstate, and Moorehead State (Tennessee's OOC big time foes).

Ridiculous. Yeah, the RPI really created some terrific matchups there.

Let's look at BYU's bottom five games:

Prairie View A&M, Santa Clara, Santa Clara, North Texas, Mount St. Mary's, Loyola Marymount.

Basically, because BYU played: North Texas (195), Mount Saint Mary's (189), Portland (178), Pepperdine (159), and San Diego (156) instead of Lamar (344), Cal Davis (326), Ball St (309), Texas State (307), Idaho St (287) BYU is more worthy than Utah of a tournament bid.

Despite the fact that Utah destroyed BYU earlier in the year? That Utah doesn't have as many bad losses as BYU?

I, for one, am glad that BYU fans were able to enjoy more high quality games than Utah fans that were brought about by the RPI encouraging teams to schedule up their OOC schedule with interesting matchups such as Mount St. Mary's, Mesa, North Texas, and Prairie View.

One win for the RPI right there. I am totally convinced of it's worth in keeping college basketball interesting (I'm really not).

Rocker Ute
03-18-2014, 04:48 PM
Regardless of the stupidity behind RPI, it is the game that gets played and everybody knows it... it isn't as if the NCAA sprung this fact out mid-season... it has been the same game for years.

Now those in the know better than me can probably tell you how far out the schedule gets done, but I imagine a lot of what we got this year was when we really had no idea how good we could be this year, and not just Larry, but Hill knew they needed to start showing some W's to the fan base. Breaking into the tournament was probably far from mind considering where we have been. That was their mistake.

I might argue that as ridiculous as it is, getting guys in the 150-200 range would be a better OOC schedule strategy if your goal is to beat patsies and gain some confidence. The problem is that for all we knew we might be a 150-200 range team ourselves.

I went to all of these patsy games and they were embarrassing. It was like watching Utah play high school teams often out there, an entirely different class. Utah's winning ways this year got me in the seats (okay, I've been in the seats the whole time except Boylen's last part of his last year - I just couldn't bare it) but if we repeat the scheduling strategy it gets hard to justify tickets to games where it isn't the slightest bit interesting to watch.

But really despite the schedule weaknesses that were the big contributor, we held our fate in our hands a number of times to do things that would have overridden it and we never did. Puzzling losses against WSU, but also if we could have pulled of the OT win against Oregon, or not choked away the AZ home game... beat Boise State... virtually any combo of two wins out of those 4 games gets us into the tournament.

So we can wring our hands about the schedule keeping us out, but as far as I can tell, we really are an NIT worthy team, and not a team in the NIT that really should be in the NCAA but for some unfortunate scheduling. We are what we are.

sancho
03-18-2014, 05:05 PM
Regardless of the stupidity behind RPI, it is the game that gets played and everybody knows it... it isn't as if the NCAA sprung this fact out mid-season... it has been the same game for years.

True. This is the system, and everyone knows it. I'm just saying that the system should be changed. There is no point in using a hatchet when you have a chainsaw just lying there. I do wish the media would stop pretending that we are going for the best teams available when there are clearly other considerations involved. And I would like to see a system where a team like Green Bay can get in with a lot of wins but not a tough schedule.

virtually any combo of two wins out of those 4 games gets us into the tournament.

I believed this two weeks ago, but now I'm not sure. Give us those 2 wins, and our RPI is still in the 50s or 60s. Our OOC SOS is not any better. The 5 seed in the NIT shows just how far away we were from the bubble. On the other hand, we would have finished 3rd in the conference, and I'm not sure the committee is shameless enough to deny entrance in that case.

we really are an NIT worthy team, and not a team in the NIT that really should be in the NCAA but for some unfortunate scheduling. We are what we are.

This is definitely true. We clearly do not belong this year. We just aren't good enough. There is only one at-large team in the field that is clearly not as good as Utah, and that team - BYU - did not deserve a bid either.

Utah
03-18-2014, 05:05 PM
So we can wring our hands about the schedule keeping us out, but as far as I can tell, we really are an NIT worthy team, and not a team in the NIT that really should be in the NCAA but for some unfortunate scheduling. We are what we are.

What we are is a bubble team. We are better than BYU. We are very comparable to Tennesse and every other bubble team out there, and in some cases, maybe more deserving (for example, BYU has more bad losses and we beat them).

BUT, the RPI kept us out of the conversation.

SoCalPat keeps saying that the RPI is good because it encourages teams to schedule up, and precludes teams from having horrible OOC schedules from getting into the tournament.

My point is that Tennessee's OOC still wasn't very good, they didn't have a lot of top flight games, and yet they are in...because they beat teams ranked 150-200 vs 200+. Same with BYU.

We are a bubble team that is more deserving of being in the tournament than some teams that actually made it. That is reality. Had we won a game or two, we might even be in...just like every other bubble team.

I fully believe that had we scheduled the teams I listed for BYU or Tennessee instead of our teams, we would be in the tournament. So, I disagree with your statement. I believe we are a team that should be in the NCAA's but for some unfortunate scheduling.

FountainOfUte
03-18-2014, 05:15 PM

^^^This.

I've come to peace with our crap non-conf schedule a long time ago. It is what it is (or, was). We had our chances to overcome it and nearly did, time, and time, and time again. But, we didn't.

Prior to the season I just wanted NIT. More is always better, but my dashed hopes in Ute hoops in the last decade pile up higher than Mount Van Cott, so in this rebuild I've consciously tried to temper my hopes. Admittedly, once we were in the thick of the non-conf and I saw not just that we won, but how we were absolutely destroying these patsies (the way an NCAA-tourney-bound team should) I started to let my hopes inflate.

Well, here we are, a couple hours from hoping we can take care of business against a middling WCC team. It is what it is. I hope we win tonight, probably for more bad reasons than good ones (insert the zoob smack factor here:___________).

Still, I'm bullish on this Ute team. I EXPECT an NCAA berth next year. I expect LK to pull in some good recruits for 2015. My hope is that starting next year we begin a long run of being a) a top-half PAC team, and b) an annual Dance invitee.

FountainOfUte
03-18-2014, 05:23 PM
On the other hand, we would have finished 3rd in the conference, and I'm not sure the committee is shameless enough to deny entrance in that case.

Ooooh. I'm not so sure about this. Their leaving out of Top 25 SMU this year, and their dissing of Washington a couple years ago when they were the reg season champ of the PAC-12 (though down as is was) showed me how dogmatic this committee can be.

Had Utah gotten in this year as an at-large, it would have set a bad precedent for power conf teams to apply the SEC football method to their basketball schedules. If we're the sacrificial lamb to ensure that doesn't become the trend, I'm okay with it. We made our bed and slept in it. I think our weak non-conf was a one-year aberration that bit us in the butt when we were (gasp!) better than we thought we'd be -- a pleasant change for once. I'm not worried about it going forward.

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-18-2014, 09:00 PM
Utes by +10!

LA Ute
03-18-2014, 09:19 PM
So as soon as I start watching they start making stupid TOs.

LA Ute
03-18-2014, 09:40 PM
How many rebounds does Dallin have? Guy's on fire on the glass.

Senioritis
03-18-2014, 09:49 PM
I've never paid much attention to the High School Gym talk vis a vis the WCC. I have held that particular bit of jive as equivalent to a PAC 12 sticker on an automobile. However, boy howdy, that really is a High School Gym the Utes are competing in this evening. It looks like Woods Cross. For reals.

Is it possible that BLEACHERDOME! holds more fans than the rest of the conference combined? I know it holds more dickheads, but I'm talking about total capacity.

Also, love the Utes. Seem to have adjusted and dealing with the pressure OK. I used to covet Randy Bennett, but now he reminds me of the Mayor on Waiting For Guffman.

LA Ute
03-18-2014, 09:49 PM
Love Taylor but man, PGs can't make those sloppy passes. 11 TOs. Amazing we are winning but if we cut those we slaughter these guys.

Utah
03-18-2014, 09:56 PM
Love Taylor but man, PGs can't make those sloppy passes. 11 TOs. Amazing we are winning but if we cut those we slaughter these guys.

This shows the difference between a PAC-12 team (middle of the road) and a WCC team. Heck, we are probably closer to really good MWC team than we are really good PAC-12 team. The talent disparity is HUGE.

If anyone thinks BYU is a better team and deserves the tourney more than us....smh....

Senioritis
03-18-2014, 09:58 PM
A couple other things.

00 is my favorite opposing player of the entire year. Fat, rec league guy. Teeth on his mouthguard. Marc Ivaroni style breakaway dunk.

35 is doing a really nice job on Wright. Moves well the feets, and Delon has had trouble getting to the lane.

sancho
03-18-2014, 10:00 PM
I used to covet Randy Bennett, but now he reminds me of the Mayor on Waiting For Guffman.

I got caught in numerous Randy Bennett arguments back in the day. I just never wanted that guy. I hate the idea of being dependent on an Australian pipeline. I don't know how close we were to landing him, but let's all breathe a sigh of relief.

LA Ute
03-18-2014, 10:01 PM
No. 00's mouthguard is epic.

sancho
03-18-2014, 10:02 PM
This shows the difference between a PAC-12 team (middle of the road) and a WCC team.

This aint over yet. That was a pretty horrible way for us to end the half. Let's not get cocky.

But, yeah, St Mary's looks completely overmatched.

chrisrenrut
03-18-2014, 10:08 PM
I feel bad for their big guy. The one replay from the first half they keep showing is his missed dunk. At least he hustled back after the miss.

Senioritis
03-18-2014, 10:09 PM
This aint over yet. That was a pretty horrible way for us to end the half. Let's not get cocky.

But, yeah, St Mary's looks completely overmatched.

Yeah, I think we've lost to worse teams than this one.

Senioritis
03-18-2014, 10:11 PM
00 is like a young, awkward Kevin Duckworth vampire.

LA Ute
03-18-2014, 10:12 PM
Yeah, I think we've lost to worse teams than this one.

Yep. We can never feel safe with any lead.

Senioritis
03-18-2014, 10:15 PM
Steve holt!

Senioritis
03-18-2014, 10:16 PM
I'm not going to look it up, but has Delon Wright made a 3 point field goal during this basketball season?

LA Ute
03-18-2014, 10:18 PM
I'm not going to look it up, but has Delon Wright made a 3 point field goal during this basketball season?

He did make one. I saw it. The broadcast guys were amazed.

Senioritis
03-18-2014, 10:19 PM
Is it possible that 00 is related to Sinbad?

LA Ute
03-18-2014, 10:20 PM
With a few more bites of his Wheaties this morning Jordan would be finishing at the rim.

Senioritis
03-18-2014, 10:21 PM
Vampire Sinbad is a master of playing through contact. Also, Randy Bennett is permanently looking into the sun a la George W Bush.

Senioritis
03-18-2014, 10:25 PM
What is the school record for failed lob passes in a game? I count four so far.

LA Ute
03-18-2014, 10:26 PM
We are going through one of our periodic doofus stretches.

Senioritis
03-18-2014, 10:27 PM
Kovacevic now in. Get ready for the boooommmm!!!

Utah
03-18-2014, 10:28 PM
Is this how Arizona fans felt watching the cats play the Utes this year? Like we should be up 30 but are playing so freaking ugly?

LA Ute
03-18-2014, 10:28 PM
Our beloved Utes are agonizing to watch sometimes.

Senioritis
03-18-2014, 10:31 PM
I have to be honest. This is not the most beautiful offensive output I have ever seen.

Utah
03-18-2014, 10:31 PM
I wish we would bury Bennett. Make him regret not interviewing for the Utah job a couple years ago.

LA Ute
03-18-2014, 10:32 PM

Senioritis
03-18-2014, 10:32 PM
Is this how Arizona fans felt watching the cats play the Utes this year? Like we should be up 30 but are playing so freaking ugly?

Yes, but you only get the full Arizona fan sensation after you've fully immersed yourself in Aqua Velva.

Senioritis
03-18-2014, 10:33 PM
I really like 35. Is he being recruited to play anywhere after he graduates from Saint Mary's?

sancho
03-18-2014, 10:34 PM
This is awful basketball.

I know RPI would disagree strongly, but I'm not sure this St Mary's team would finish ahead of USC and Wazzu in the Pac-12. I dunno, maybe this is an off game for them.

Senioritis
03-18-2014, 10:34 PM
The font that Saint Mary's uses reminds me of Ye Lion's Den in Ogden. Is that still open? So authentic.

LA Ute
03-18-2014, 10:37 PM
This is awful basketball.

I know RPI would disagree strongly, but I'm not sure this St Mary's team would finish ahead of USC and Wazzu in the Pac-12. I dunno, maybe this is an off game for them.

Well, we're letting them hang around.

Senioritis
03-18-2014, 10:37 PM
And what's up with the NIT logo on the floor? It looks like it belongs on a bottle of Pace Picante Sauce.

Utah
03-18-2014, 10:38 PM
If it wasn't for that pesky PG on St Mary's, Brandon Taylor I think, Utah would be up 30. Ugly game.

p.s. Going to get the Aqua Belva out of my bedroom closet at my parents house...I think it's between my letterman jacket and yearbooks...

sancho
03-18-2014, 10:38 PM
Well, we're letting them hang around.

Yes, we are horrible tonight. This is worse then our loss to Wazzu. So lazy with the ball.

Senioritis
03-18-2014, 10:39 PM
Someone named Matt Hodgson is eating our lunch. He just forced a timeout. This pavilion is rocking. It hasn't been this crazy since the assembly last Friday.

Utah
03-18-2014, 10:40 PM
You are hitting it out of the park tonight. Great stuff. It's like Mystery Science Theater in here.

mpfunk
We have to win this game. Losing to a 4th place WCC team would be an embarrassment.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Senioritis
Foul on Hodgson. Zoinks!

Senioritis
03-18-2014, 10:43 PM
We have to win this game. Losing to a 4th place WCC team would be an embarrassment.

I would look at it as just another notch in our long road to recovery. A scar of bravery. Stop hanging out with the Zoobs and you'll care a lot less what our losses say about us.

Senioritis
03-18-2014, 10:44 PM
Hodgson is turning a bright shade of pink. He's like a walking ad for breast cancer awareness.

LA Ute
03-18-2014, 10:45 PM
I feel like I'm watching a depressing movie I've seen before. It's called "El Foldo."

Utah
03-18-2014, 10:48 PM
Steve Holt fouls out. The second worst moment of his life after kissing his cousin.

Senioritis
Steve Holt! Nice knowing you.

Senioritis
Steve Holt fouls out. The second worst moment of his life after kissing his cousin.

I've made a terrible mistake.

Senioritis
03-18-2014, 10:49 PM
I feel like I'm watching a depressing movie I've seen before. It's called "El Foldo."

Is that the name of the grocery store hot sauce the NIT is pimping?

Utah
Poor kid. He definitely gave his all. I wish him nothing but success in life...except for tonight.

LA Ute
That missed blocking call was huge. Let's see now if these guys will just fall apart or if they can find something inside and win. I'm not optimistic.

Utah
03-18-2014, 10:50 PM
The good news is, Wright ain't going pro. Pathetic.

Senioritis
03-18-2014, 10:50 PM
I hate Hodgson. He's keeping 00 on the bench with his lurpy, inspiring play.

Senioritis
03-18-2014, 10:51 PM
Gail now up 2. What a pisser.

sancho
There is absolutely no quality in this St Mary's team. I don't think any team we've played in the past 2 months would give a scholarship to any of these guys. And we are somehow worse.

Utah
How many TO's for us tonight? Yikes. At least there is football this Saturday.

Time for a big run.

Hadrian
03-18-2014, 10:52 PM
This is embarrassing.

LA Ute
03-18-2014, 10:54 PM
So who's our go-to guy? Who pulls this game out for us in the final minutes? I'm struggling to think of who that is because we haven't seen him all season. This is tough to watch. Over and over again, all season long. Ugh.

Utah
03-18-2014, 10:54 PM
So who's our go-to guy? Who pulls this game out for us in the final minutes? I'm struggling to think of who that is because we haven't seen him all season. This is tough to watch. Over and over again, all season long. Ugh.

Chapman or Kuzma.

Senioritis
03-18-2014, 10:55 PM
We've got spirit, yes we do. We've got spirit, how 'bout you?

Senioritis
03-18-2014, 10:55 PM

Brandon Taylor. Just you watch.

Utah
03-18-2014, 10:56 PM
We've got spirit, yes we do. We've got spirit, how 'bout you?

We may have spirit but the offense was left in Reno.

LA Ute
03-18-2014, 10:57 PM
It has happened. We've blown this game. We're going to lose by double digits. Pathetic.

Utah
Brother Bobby, the new teacher's quorum secretary, with the dagger.

Senioritis
This game would have been totally different if Marco hadn't started bleeding.

OrangeUte
03-18-2014, 10:58 PM
This sucks. Looks like we have gone completely cold.

kccougar
03-18-2014, 10:59 PM
Those small gyms can be tricky environments, LA.

Utah
Did this game cost Coach K an extension? The last two games really reminded us that we are still rebuilding. Ouch.

Senioritis
There is simply nothing on earth like the passion of the NIT.

Senioritis

Don't be a dickhead.

Utah
03-18-2014, 11:00 PM

The good news is, we will never have to play in one again.

mpfunk
03-18-2014, 11:00 PM
This is why I'm still not sold on Krystkowiak. This is an atrocious loss.

Another year with the Utes doing next to nothing.

sancho
03-18-2014, 11:01 PM
Did this game cost Coach K an extension? The last two games really reminded us that we are still rebuilding. Ouch.

I really wanted him to get a T after that silly charge call on Delon. Something to wake the team up. Once they took a double digit lead in the first half, they shut down all effort and never could turn the switch back on.

NorthwestUteFan
The good news for me? My son's basketball team beat the #1 team in the quarterfinals tonight, winning by 36 points.

concerned
how did we not win this game by 20? This is the first time I have really questioned Larry K. This is pathetic.

LA Ute
03-18-2014, 11:02 PM
I really am ready for this season to end for us. They've shown great progress and that's terrific. But there is a serious problem with this team and I hope something changes by next season. I can't take any more of this loss of composure routine.

Time for football.

Not it that I am upset or anything.

Senioritis
03-18-2014, 11:04 PM
This really was a pretty crappy loss. Not the worst of the year, but a pretty nasty end. Like eating a sour cream and onion potato chip right before bed.

LA Ute
03-18-2014, 11:04 PM

It isn't easy to play in them, you're right. But I doubt the gym had much to do with this loss.

By the way, you've made classier posts in your time.

Senioritis
03-18-2014, 11:05 PM
Hodgson to the locker room. Ice up, son. And damn you.

LA Ute
03-18-2014, 11:06 PM
This really was a pretty crappy loss. Not the worst of the year, but a pretty nasty end. Like eating a sour cream and onion potato chip right before bed.

Oddly enough, I feel worse about this one than any other.

Senioritis
03-18-2014, 11:06 PM
I really am ready for this season to end for us. They've shown great progress and that's terrific. But there is a serious problem with this team and I hope something changes by next season. I can't take any more of this loss of composure routine.

Time for football.

Not it that I am upset or anything.

It really is fascinating that the last two games have made football look like a promising proposition, but I feel the same way.

sancho
03-18-2014, 11:07 PM
By the way, you've made classier posts in your time.

On this board?

LA Ute
03-18-2014, 11:07 PM
On this board?

Somewhere, I'm sure. But I've never known him to taunt at a time like this.

sancho
03-18-2014, 11:11 PM
Somewhere, I'm sure. But I've never known him to taunt at a time like this.

Are you serious? He only shows up to taunt after losses. Then we call him a dick for a while, and then someone comes in and says he's really a good guy at heart.

sancho
03-18-2014, 11:14 PM
I just can't get over how bad this St Mary's team is. An inexcusable loss and a very bad sign.

Utah
03-18-2014, 11:15 PM
Utah has come miles from where they were a couple years ago. BUT the 2014 season is HUGE for K and Whitt. Both have had excuses up to this point. Both won't have those same excuses next year.

Just relive the good moments from this year, hype up the incoming players and go catch some football this week.

Life is good and it's good to be a Ute.

Senioritis
03-18-2014, 11:15 PM
What a pisser. Work to do. It's been worse, but hooooo boy, this was a doozy.

Utah
03-18-2014, 11:17 PM
I think any NBA dreams were crushed tonight.

LA Ute
03-18-2014, 11:18 PM
Are you serious? He only shows up to taunt after losses. Then we call him a dick for a while, and then someone comes in and says he's really a good guy at heart.

Guess I haven't noticed.

Anyway, I feel like concerned. This loss reflects on Krysko. When a team repeatedly loses its composure, cannot win close games, and can't win on the road -- in conference or out -- that reflects on the head coach.

Now we all will have to try not to think about this game for the next 6-7 months. I hope the team will be thinking about it, and that they develop whatever it is they need to develop in order to progress.

NorthwestUteFan
03-18-2014, 11:19 PM
Bring on Kuzma, Chapman, Wright, Reyes, etc. time to cut some dead wood.

sancho
03-18-2014, 11:19 PM
There is no leadership on this team. Someone will have have to become a floor leader next season, and none of our guys have that personality.

LA Ute
03-18-2014, 11:25 PM
There is no leadership on this team. Someone will have have to become a floor leader next season, and none of our guys have that personality.

I can think of a time when that happened once before, long ago and in a Ute program far, far away. The Vranes-Chambers Utes lacked leadership in that pair's junior year. The difference in their senior year was remarkable.

justaute
03-19-2014, 12:02 AM
LA, I'm with you here. I think it's our worst game of the year. I posted the below comments on Facebook's Utenation.

Some people focus solely on wins/losses and margin of losses. Some people focus on how the game is played and assess how the players respond/react to situations.

Oddly enough, I feel worse about this one than any other.

justaute
03-19-2014, 12:05 AM
In regard to Wright, for someone who's played so much basketball, including against NBA-level competition, he really has a terrible, far-below-average perimeter game. How does someone like him doesn't even have an average outside game? To me, it's partially mental. Mental issues are not always easy to fix.

LA Ute
03-19-2014, 12:09 AM
Having had some time to reflect, I remind myself that these are really young guys. I'm sure they feel horrible. A year from now I'd love for all of us to be reflecting on how far they've progressed from this dark moment and what tough-minded "eye of the tiger" competitors they've become.

DrumNFeather
03-19-2014, 07:01 AM
I am encouraged by the progress that was made by Larry K. and the squad this year. I believe this year marks the last year where we (hopefully) have a non D1 player getting significant minutes (Lenz).

All that said...Larry needs to work on the physical and mental toughness of this team. This team has shown to have no or very little killer instinct, and we witnessed it again in last night's game. Up 11-0, you jam the ball down their collective throats and you do not allow them to get back in the game. Too often, we settle for poor shots or wild drives hoping to get bailed out. The sequence at the end of the first half really signaled disaster for the Utes. What could've been a 14+ point lead heading into the locker room ended up being a 7 point lead, and it was all down hill from there.

Against good competition this year (outside of Arizona in the tourny and the second half vs. UCLA), the margins were very thin between a good year and a great year. Next year, with the majority of the scoring coming back, another influx of young talent, and a JC kid known to be a rebounder, Larry needs to be able to flip those margins over and win the close games. He needs to significantly improve the pre-season schedule, so that this team can gain some experience winning and losing on the road to be fully ready for Pac 12 play.

Senioritis
03-19-2014, 07:13 AM
I'm already talking myself into next year, but I'm still irate that Vampire Sinbad got so little floor time in the second half.

Damn you, Hodgson!!

Scorcho
03-19-2014, 08:44 AM
the only silver lining to last nights loss (and the Arizona beat down) is that I'd rather this team and staff enter the offseason a little more humble and embarrassed than thinking with a little more work they'll be where they want to be next year.

sancho
03-19-2014, 08:50 AM
I'm already talking myself into next year

I wrestled all night with the basketball angel of pessimism, and I lost.

I just can't look at this team as a good team that was a few breaks away from being very good. I have to see them as a mediocre team that caught a few lucky breaks to get to 9-9. There is no way a good team can play as they just did against such poor competition. Combine that with the Arizona debacle, and there couldn't have been a worse possible way to end the season.

Delon has disappeared completely in the past few weeks. He must have a face officials love to hate because every time he went aggressively to the rim the past two weeks, he was called for a charge.

The offense disappeared in long stretches all season.

All that said...Larry needs to work on the physical and mental toughness of this team.

How does a coach instill physical and mental toughness?

So, who on this team can step into the leader role? Who has the work ethic, the skill, the attitude, the ability to get in someone's face, the give-me-the-ball mentality? I'm not sure we have anyone. The candidates are:

Wright: He has the skill, so it should be his role by default. I'm not sure he can do it.

Loveridge: Has the "first to work, last to leave" ethic, but I can't see him getting in someone's face or pumping someone up. He seems very steady emotionally. Plus, for as hard as he works off the court, he has a tendency to be lazy on the court (especially with passes).

Taylor: Tony Jones suggested that he's the best candidate. I don't know.

Bach: He has the emotion and energy for the job, but I don't know about the rest.

Anyone else?

I don't know if Coach K has that ability either. I haven't seen him really light a fire in the team mid-game.

He needs to significantly improve the pre-season schedule, so that this team can gain some experience winning and losing on the road to be fully ready for Pac 12 play.

Obviously, the schedule will be improved. I'm not sure that alone will make a difference in how we play. It's possible that a tougher schedule this year would have sunk our confidence and landed us at 6-12 in the conference. But we don't have to worry about it because there is no way we will have such a poor schedule again.

Question: How were we able to hang in the tough games when things got rough? When we were down 6-8 in the 2nd half but came back to make it a tight game, how did that happen? Somewhere in that question is the spark we need, and I can't identify it. Was it defense? Was there a particular player who always stepped up? Was is calmness? Something Larry said? We did it over and over again all year, and I want to know how it happened.

SoCalPat
03-19-2014, 09:09 AM
I watched the first half, which was more than I had planned on watching since an allergy attack usually lays me to waste and I'm in bed before 9. The first half was encouraging enough, so I went to bed at halftime fully expecting to win this game.

Wow.

I kinda feel like a schmuck for insisting we play looser on offense, take shots earlier in the clock and be more aggressive. We did those things last night and had double-digit turnovers in the first half (we also shot a high percentage). There's a line between playing loose and playing carelessly, and we did plenty of both in the first half.

We take care of the ball, we're up 15-plus at halftime. We're one 8-2 or better run early in the second half of putting this game away. Everyone had a hand in turnovers, but especially Wright and Taylor, who combined for 11? We had just six total against Cal. Taylor does a lot of good things, but from Stanford on, averaged over 4 turnovers per game. You're a PG, that's a stat you're going to lose minutes over.

Jordan Loveridge either cannot finish with, or does not trust his left hand at the rim. He probably never had to develop that skill in high school, but he needs to now. He does not have the spring in his legs nor the dominant size to get his shots off inside, but having a good left hand changes a lot of that. Against St. Mary's, he gets the ball at the top of the key, coming off a screen. He has his man clearly beat, but as Jordan gets to the basket, he drifts right so he doesn't have to use his left hand. But he doesn't move right far enough, and his shot hits the bottom of the rim. I don't know what's more embarrassing -- hitting the bottom of the rim on a layup, or not having a left hand to finish what was a deuce in the book as soon as you got the ball.

I can't really comment on how this game got away from us, since I didn't watch the second half. But I saw enough in the first half to know that SMC was a step below in talent and athleticism. To get outscored by 20 over the final 10 minutes has to take a team effort, but in our last three losses (over four games), we've lost a one-possession game, been blown out and blown a big lead late. That's troubling -- now we're all over the map when we lose, rather than just consistently failing in close games.

sancho
03-19-2014, 09:14 AM
I can't really comment on how this game got away from us, since I didn't watch the second half. But I saw enough in the first half to know that SMC was a step below in talent and athleticism. To get outscored by 20 over the final 10 minutes has to take a team effort, but in our last three losses (over four games), we've lost a one-possession game, been blown out and blown a big lead late. That's troubling -- now we're all over the map when we lose, rather than just consistently failing in close games.

It was one of those things where we thought we had the game in the bag. We knew we were better, and we let it make us lazy. Then, when they came back, we could not flip the switch again. We've all seen it before in big upsets.

Yes, the fact that we are not just losing tough games anymore is adding significantly to my pessimism.

Utah
03-19-2014, 09:16 AM
I watched the first half, which was more than I had planned on watching since an allergy attack usually lays me to waste and I'm in bed before 9. The first half was encouraging enough, so I went to bed at halftime fully expecting to win this game.

Wow.

I kinda feel like a schmuck for insisting we play looser on offense, take shots earlier in the clock and be more aggressive. We did those things last night and had double-digit turnovers in the first half (we also shot a high percentage). There's a line between playing loose and playing carelessly, and we did plenty of both in the first half.

We take care of the ball, we're up 15-plus at halftime. We're one 8-2 or better run early in the second half of putting this game away. Everyone had a hand in turnovers, but especially Wright and Taylor, who combined for 11? We had just six total against Cal. Taylor does a lot of good things, but from Stanford on, averaged over 4 turnovers per game. You're a PG, that's a stat you're going to lose minutes over.

Jordan Loveridge either cannot finish with, or does not trust his left hand at the rim. He probably never had to develop that skill in high school, but he needs to now. He does not have the spring in his legs nor the dominant size to get his shots off inside, but having a good left hand changes a lot of that. Against St. Mary's, he gets the ball at the top of the key, coming off a screen. He has his man clearly beat, but as Jordan gets to the basket, he drifts right so he doesn't have to use his left hand. But he doesn't move right far enough, and his shot hits the bottom of the rim. I don't know what's more embarrassing -- hitting the bottom of the rim on a layup, or not having a left hand to finish what was a deuce in the book as soon as you got the ball.

At the end of the day, it comes down to talent. When we play tough defense and limit the offense, we play well. When we play out of control, we just aren't talented enough to do that. We still need talent. As crazy as it sounds to say this, our best position on this team is the Center position right now.

With all the transfers, I don't think we have Olsen, Bachinski or Kova leave. That is a good threesome going into next year.

It would not surprise me if Delon goes pro at all. I think he has hit his ceiling and his stock won't be higher than it is now. He isn't going to learn how to shoot. Strike while the iron is hot.

FountainOfUte
03-19-2014, 09:50 AM
With all the transfers, I don't think we have Olsen, Bachinski or Kova leave. That is a good threesome going into next year.

It would not surprise me if Delon goes pro at all. I think he has hit his ceiling and his stock won't be higher than it is now. He isn't going to learn how to shoot. Strike while the iron is hot.

I get what you're saying, but the problem is that the iron isn't that hot. Even if he's hit a ceiling (which I don't necessarily think he has -- but might be closer than I'd like to admit) I still think he could use another year just to build some pub. I don't think he'll be worse next year, and by season's end he was just getting on the radars that matter. I think another full season on those radars giving us about what he gave this year would still help his stock.

As for the centers, that's interesting. Not sure I agree, but I could be wrong. I've been assuming that Kova was top of the list of expendables. Truth is, I'm not sure who the expendables are now. Fields?

justaute
03-19-2014, 10:19 AM
I think Fields is certainly a transfer possibility. After watching Tucker play, I can see why he lost his minutes. His D just isn't good -- what baffles me is that I think he has pretty good athleticism. At barely 6'1 and with 35" vertical, I didn't have the best athleticism, but I could D-up, box-out, and read passing lanes like nobody's business. It just bothers me when people have the "assets", but don't maximize them. Of course, mental acuity/fortitude is also an asset/talent.

I get what you're saying, but the problem is that the iron isn't that hot. Even if he's hit a ceiling (which I don't necessarily think he has -- but might be closer than I'd like to admit) I still think he could use another year just to build some pub. I don't think he'll be worse next year, and by season's end he was just getting on the radars that matter. I think another full season on those radars giving us about what he gave this year would still help his stock.

As for the centers, that's interesting. Not sure I agree, but I could be wrong. I've been assuming that Kova was top of the list of expendables. Truth is, I'm not sure who the expendables are now. Fields?

sancho
03-19-2014, 12:23 PM
Utah professor Ken Pomeroy on the difficulty of evaluating teams based on little information:

http://regressing.deadspin.com/is-a-no-11-seed-actually-among-the-best-teams-in-the-c-1547060812?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitte r&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow