SoCalPat
02-24-2014, 07:41 PM
Boo-yah!

Dwight Schr-Ute
02-24-2014, 07:52 PM
Huge!

Jarid in Cedar
02-24-2014, 07:53 PM
8 possibly 9 wins before the bowl games. Mark it down.

tooblue
02-24-2014, 07:55 PM
8 possibly 9 wins before the bowl games. Mark it down.

Jordan Wynn 2.0

Diehard Ute
02-24-2014, 08:13 PM
And people kept wondering why I was posting to keep waiting.

Travis still has follow up and monitoring, but knowing who his physicians are, he's getting good care and advice.

Jarid in Cedar
02-24-2014, 08:36 PM
Jordan Wynn 2.0

Hardly.

sancho
02-24-2014, 09:02 PM
Is there reason to be concerned about Wilson getting the reps in the spring only to not be cleared in the fall? Or is eventual full clearance more or less a given now?

Either way, I'm happy for him and happy for the team.

LA Ute
02-24-2014, 09:22 PM
NBC Sports has picked this up, although their source is Lya and the SL Trib.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/24/report-utah-qb-travis-wilson-cleared-to-participate-in-spring-ball/

Utah
02-24-2014, 09:26 PM
We would have won 9 games last year with a healthy Wilson. We will be a force this fall.

Utah
02-24-2014, 09:29 PM
If he continues to improve, and can go this fall, our QB situation looks AMAZING. The best it ever has. We now look like this:

Wilson - JR starter
Manning/Cox - Backup RS Fresh
Isom - Redshirt
Hansen - Mission

Thomas - Safety
Schulz - starting QB for Weber State

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if Schulz and either Cox/Manning (the loser of the backup spot) transfer after spring ball.

LA Ute
02-24-2014, 09:33 PM
Utah team doctor confirms.

http://twitter.com/DSorensen/status/438169385698459649

Team Dr confirms Travis Wilson’s recent tests were stable; cleared for non-contact practice, per usual, in spring. July re-eval. #goutes

Not sure what the "July re-eval" means. If there is any uncertainty that is a problem.

Utah
02-24-2014, 09:39 PM
Think of this:

When Wilson was semi-healthy, we had a top 25 offense, we were 4-2 with a win over a top 25 program, a 7 point loss to a top 10 UCLA where Wilson threw 6 INT's, and an overtime loss to a very solid OSU team.

We just went from maybe winning 6 games to maybe winning 10 games.

Utah
02-24-2014, 09:40 PM

Not sure what the "July re-eval" means. If there is any uncertainty that is a problem.

Wilson doesn't need spring ball much anyways. He will be there to make the young guys look bad, and not much else.

LA Ute
02-24-2014, 10:24 PM
Longer, more detailed story from the Trib:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/utes/57593726-89/wilson-utah-condition-travis.html.csp

roseparkutes
02-24-2014, 10:26 PM
sweet news!!! lets hope he stays healthy and can win s some more games! GO UTES

Diehard Ute
02-24-2014, 11:41 PM

They're basically seeing what it looks like after certain time frames. Allows the doctors to determine if it's a stable anomaly or something that's likely to be affected by playing football.

That's the reason all the speculation was premature, and this news is a big better than was originally expected.

LA Ute
02-25-2014, 06:50 AM
They're basically seeing what it looks like after certain time frames. Allows the doctors to determine if it's a stable anomaly or something that's likely to be affected by playing football.

That's the reason all the speculation was premature, and this news is a big better than was originally expected.

So I'm guessing the coaches will give lots of attention to the backup spot, and whoever emerges will get
more reps than usual.

sancho
02-25-2014, 06:56 AM
Wilson - JR starter
Manning/Cox - Backup RS Fresh
Isom - Redshirt
Hansen - Mission

Thomas - Safety
Schulz - starting QB for Weber State

Don't forget the Wyoming transfer Thompson.

DrumNFeather
02-25-2014, 07:01 AM
So, it sounds like he's been cleared for non-contact drills and they will wait until July to give him some contact, but really, he won't take his first live hits until ISU or Fresno St.

Hopefully the coaches are getting rid of most of his designed runs.

Diehard Ute
02-25-2014, 07:16 AM
So, it sounds like he's been cleared for non-contact drills and they will wait until July to give him some contact, but really, he won't take his first live hits until ISU or Fresno St.

Hopefully the coaches are getting rid of most of his designed runs.

Doesn't really matter since QB's are off limits in spring ball anyway.

DrumNFeather
02-25-2014, 07:28 AM
Doesn't really matter since QB's are off limits in spring ball anyway.

Right.

crazyute
02-25-2014, 08:49 AM
Right.
according to utefans it does matter though?

Sullyute
02-25-2014, 09:24 AM
Wilson doesn't need spring ball much anyways. He will be there to make the young guys look bad, and not much else.

If we are installing a new offense under Christensen, don't we still want Wilson to get plenty of reps to understand all the ins and outs of the new offense?

U-Ute
02-25-2014, 09:57 AM
Think of this:

When Wilson was semi-healthy, we had a top 25 offense, we were 4-2 with a win over a top 25 program, a 7 point loss to a top 10 UCLA where Wilson threw 6 INT's, and an overtime loss to a very solid OSU team.

10 seems like a stretch. We still have Michigan on the road, USC, Oregon, and Stanford on our schedule. Not to mention ASU who just has our number right now.

I having a healthy Wilson gets us from 5 to 8 wins though.

U-Ute
02-25-2014, 09:58 AM
If we are installing a new offense under Christensen, don't we still want Wilson to get plenty of reps to understand all the ins and outs of the new offense?

I think where having him available will be positive is in primarily two areas:

Working with DC on timing, terminology, etc
Working with the receivers to get their timing down.

Hot Lunch
02-25-2014, 10:26 AM
So I was completely wrong about the TW situation. Still a little tentative on this. I really hope he is not jeopardizing his health. Having Travis for 2014 will be so important for this program. Travis when healthy is a stud. He makes plays and is a gamer. There is a lot of talent coming back on offense and if we can get the line situation fixed, we will have a great chance to win 7 or 8 games next year.

Applejack
02-25-2014, 10:26 AM
Think of this:

HAHA. I love you, Utah, but 10 wins!?!?! Good on you.

Applejack
02-25-2014, 10:27 AM
So I was completely wrong about the TW situation. Still a little tentative on this. I really hope he is not jeopardizing his health. Having Travis for 2014 will be so important for this program. Travis when healthy is a stud. He makes plays and is a gamer. There is a lot of talent coming back on offense and if we can get the line situation fixed, we will have a great chance to win 7 or 8 games next year.

I agree. I like our chances of competing SO much better with Travis around. We should be bowling next year and could break through with 8 wins or so.

sancho
02-25-2014, 10:44 AM
I agree. I like our chances of competing SO much better with Travis around. We should be bowling next year and could break through with 8 wins or so.

I hope so, but even with Wilson, it's tough to find 8 wins on the schedule:

Probable wins: Idaho State, Colorado

Toss Ups: Fresno St, Wazzu, OSU, Arizona

Probable losses: Stanford, Oregon, USC, UCLA, Michigan. ASU

I'm all for 8 wins, and I really hope the upsets include Stanford again and ASU/USC for the first time.

jrj84105
02-25-2014, 10:54 AM
With Travis I put the over under at 6.5, without Travis 3.5
In order of difficulty (Least to Most)
ISU
FrSU
CU
WSU
OSU
UA
Mich
ASU
Furd
USC
UCLA
UO

Utah
02-25-2014, 10:59 AM
Why does everyone put USC and Michigan and UCLA in the probable losses column? I think those three games are in the 50/50 arena. UCLA has not beaten us soundly once. We could have beaten UCLA with a true freshman QB, and even with 6 TO's. That game is a 50/50 game. USC has a new coach, and that coach hasn't exactly lit the world on fire. USC will have a new QB, their defensive coaches took a step down, and it will be in Utah and late in the year. 50/50 game. Michigan isn't a good team. We were a better team than Michigan last year. If this game was in Utah, we would be favored.

I'm the board optimist and applejack is the board pessimist. lol.

Utah
02-25-2014, 11:09 AM
With Travis I put the over under at 6.5, without Travis 3.5
In order of difficulty (Least to Most)
ISU
FrSU
CU
WSU
OSU
UA
Mich
UTAH UTES
ASU
Furd
USC
UCLA
UO

I agree with most of your list. I think you have UCLA up too high. We beat UCLA year one, we lost 14-21 in Wilson's second game on the road and Wilson threw a pick in that game. Last year we lost 34-27 and we had 6 INT's. For some reason, we play UCLA really, really well.

I would put them harder than Michigan, but easier than ASU. I'd even put ASU as harder than Stanford. We match up really well with Stanford.

So my list looks like this:

ISU
FrSU
CU
WSU
OSU
UA
Mich
UCLA
Stanford
ASU
USC
UO

I would then group the teams like this:

We are better than (win whether home or away): ISU, FrSU, CU, WSU

We are maybe better than (should win at home, could win on the road): OSU, UA, Michigan

We aren't as good as, but for some reason can beat these teams: Stanford, UCLA

We lost to 90 out of 100 times: USC, UO

For some reason they just own us: ASU

That means I think we should win the first four, win one out of the next three, split the next two. That puts us at six wins. I think the make or break games for us this season are Michigan, ASU and USC.

Win one of those three, it is a really, really good season. Win two, it is a great season. Win all three? Special.

Applejack
02-25-2014, 11:23 AM
Why does everyone put USC and Michigan and UCLA in the probable losses column? I think those three games are in the 50/50 arena. UCLA has not beaten us soundly once. We could have beaten UCLA with a true freshman QB, and even with 6 TO's. That game is a 50/50 game. USC has a new coach, and that coach hasn't exactly lit the world on fire. USC will have a new QB, their defensive coaches took a step down, and it will be in Utah and late in the year. 50/50 game. Michigan isn't a good team. We were a better team than Michigan last year. If this game was in Utah, we would be favored.

Hey, I just voted for 8 wins. [Sidenote: Sancho is right, 8 is high.]

Utah
02-25-2014, 11:33 AM

lol. Sorry.

Utah
02-25-2014, 11:36 AM

Full disclosure, I expect a bowl game next year. Our QB situation had better not be as bad as it has been so far in the PAC-12. An amazing season for me would be 8 wins in the season, end up with 9.

Actually, I would love to go to a bowl, play a one loss or undefeated BYU, and lay down another 54-10 on them.

SeattleUte
02-25-2014, 11:38 AM
Full disclosure, I expect a bowl game next year. Our QB situation had better not be as bad as it has been so far in the PAC-12. An amazing season for me would be 8 wins in the season, end up with 9.

Actually, I would love to go to a bowl, play a one loss or undefeated BYU, and lay down another 54-10 on them.

Applejack is full of shit. I'd stick with your ten wins.

Diehard Ute
02-25-2014, 11:39 AM

I can assure you he has been given a straight up, non football answer about what's his best interest health wise.

Applejack
02-25-2014, 11:50 AM
Applejack is full of shit. I'd stick with your ten wins.

At last we agree! :cheers:

U-Ute
02-25-2014, 12:04 PM

My reasons:

UCLA: Hundley and Mora.
USC: Sark and USC talent.
Michigan: Road game. I think this may be a tossup. It won't be an easy game.

LA Ute
02-25-2014, 01:28 PM

jrj84105
02-25-2014, 01:47 PM
[QUOTE=Utah;32346]I agree with most of your list. I think you have UCLA up too high. We beat UCLA year one, we lost 14-21 in Wilson's second game on the road and Wilson threw a pick in that game. Last year we lost 34-27 and we had 6 INT's. For some reason, we play UCLA really, really well.

I agree with your revision. I don't see a difference between ASU/Furd/UCLA/USC because of matchup (ASU-bad/Furd-Good) and prior history (vs UCLA-they underperform/vs USC-we underperform).

Gimme (1-0): ISU
Should Win (2-0): CU, FrSU
Toss Up (2-2): WSU, OSU, UA, Mich (people may call this pessimistic but we went 0-3 last year against this group)
Should Lose (1-3): ASU, Furd, UCLA, USC
Lose (0-1): UO

Jarid in Cedar
02-25-2014, 01:50 PM
ASU is going to be a shell of the team they were last season. Marion Grice was the motor of that offense, not Kelly. Look at how they played in the final 2 games without him (Pac-12 Champ and Holiday Bowl). Add that to replacing 8 or 9 defensive starters and you start to see them in a different light.

Utah
02-25-2014, 02:31 PM
I agree with your revision. I don't see a difference between ASU/Furd/UCLA/USC because of matchup (ASU-bad/Furd-Good) and prior history (vs UCLA-they underperform/vs USC-we underperform).

Gimme (1-0): ISU
Should Win (2-0): CU, FrSU
Toss Up (2-2): WSU, OSU, UA, Mich (people may call this pessimistic but we went 0-3 last year against this group)
Should Lose (1-3): ASU, Furd, UCLA, USC
Lose (0-1): UO

I can't believe we went 0-3 against that group. Especially Arizona. I get OSU, because it was early and Wilson was learning and Scott went down early. But that Arizona game, Wilson missed three receivers WIDE OPEN early in that game that would have gone for TD's. It could have easily been 28-14 at halftime for Utah. We need a QB SO DESPERATELY.

Hot Lunch
02-25-2014, 02:48 PM
ASU is going to be a shell of the team they were last season. Marion Grice was the motor of that offense, not Kelly. Look at how they played in the final 2 games without him (Pac-12 Champ and Holiday Bowl). Add that to replacing 8 or 9 defensive starters and you start to see them in a different light.

Defense is not what lost the game vs. ASU last year. That was probably our D's best performance of the season.

Utah
02-25-2014, 02:51 PM
Another thing, Stanford loses a TON this year, I wouldn't be surprised if they take a step back at all (which for Stanford is only 9-10 wins). We match up well against them and I could see us winning that game again. I'd put that game at 50/50.

One more thing to consider. Even if Wilson doesn't play, we have never been two deep at QB. We might be 3 deep without Wilson. And yes, Manning/Cox/Isom may not be BJ or Smith. Heck they might not be Wilson or Wynn when healthy. BUT, they are miles better (or had better be) than Schulz or Hays.

Getting ASU and Stanford late in the season benefits Utah.

Did anyone realize that ASU might not own us as much as we think? The three games we have had against them were against Hays, Hays, Wilson who couldn't throw. The scores were: 35-14 (Hays second game), 37-7 (Hays again), and 20-19.

I've said it 100 times and I'll keep saying it (unless we don't get to a bowl game this year, then I'm probably full of it): Except for QB, we are a top 3rd PAC-12 team. If we can get an average PAC-12 QB, then we win 8+ games a year and are right where we should be. We are THIS close.

Jarid in Cedar
02-25-2014, 02:53 PM
Defense is not what lost the game vs. ASU last year. That was probably our D's best performance of the season.

I agree, but Grice single-handedly beat us with his play in the 4th quarter.

concerned
02-25-2014, 03:08 PM
Another thing, Stanford loses a TON this year, I wouldn't be surprised if they take a step back at all (which for Stanford is only 9-10 wins). We match up well against them and I could see us winning that game again. I'd put that game at 50/50.

One more thing to consider. Even if Wilson doesn't play, we have never been two deep at QB. We might be 3 deep without Wilson. And yes, Manning/Cox/Isom may not be BJ or Smith. Heck they might not be Wilson or Wynn when healthy. BUT, they are miles better (or had better be) than Schulz or Hays.

Getting ASU and Stanford late in the season benefits Utah.

Did anyone realize that ASU might not own us as much as we think? The three games we have had against them were against Hays, Hays, Wilson who couldn't throw. The scores were: 35-14 (Hays second game), 37-7 (Hays again), and 20-19.

I've said it 100 times and I'll keep saying it (unless we don't get to a bowl game this year, then I'm probably full of it): Except for QB, we are a top 3rd PAC-12 team. If we can get an average PAC-12 QB, then we win 8+ games a year and are right where we should be. We are THIS close.

I would put Stanford at well less than 50-50 because of revenge factor, away game, and they have a bye the week before. Its not a trap game and they wont overlook us. That it is late in the year benefits them at least as much as it does us, given their turnover.

USS Utah
02-25-2014, 04:54 PM

At last, some good news.

LA Ute
02-25-2014, 05:25 PM
Travis's interview on KALL about two hours ago:

http://espn.kall700sports.com/travis-wilson-university-of-utah-qb-2-25-14/

Devildog
02-26-2014, 06:06 AM
Great news on Wilson's return. We might need to take it easy on the early board Kool-Aid though. !0 wins?

Travis is a gamer and he works his ass off, he should continue his maturing at the position... but with that said, he did have some games where he had way too many turnovers. DC needs to get that locked down.

LA Ute
02-26-2014, 09:19 AM
Great news on Wilson's return. We might need to take it easy on the early board Kool-Aid though. !0 wins?

Travis is a gamer and he works his ass off, he should continue his maturing at the position... but with that said, he did have some games where he had way too many turnovers. DC needs to get that locked down.

You're right about bad decisions being the big "I'm not so sure" factor about Travis. I'm interested to see how he does when he's not running for his life half the tim and has an extra second to throw, his receivers run their routes correctly, and he's not injured. Those things don't excuse his bad decisions but it would be nice to know how much they contribute to them.

Utah
02-26-2014, 12:01 PM
You're right about bad decisions being the big "I'm not so sure" factor about Travis. I'm interested to see how he does when he's not running for his life half the tim and has an extra second to throw, his receivers run their routes correctly, and he's not injured. Those things don't excuse his bad decisions but it would be nice to know how much they contribute to them.

Another reason I'm not too worried about the bad decisions is the fact that he was just a sophomore. Most sophomores don't make good decisions.

chrisrenrut
09-27-2015, 12:31 AM
I couldn't find a specific thread for Travis. Kind of sad, there is one for Booker, Chase Hansen, and even Kendal Thompson.

Anyways, Travis is currently ranked 8th in ESPN's QBR for the season. Goff comes in at #4, and Kessler at #6.

http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/qbr

LA Ute
09-27-2015, 12:42 AM
I couldn't find a specific thread for Travis. Kind of sad, there is one for Booker, Chase Hansen, and even Kendal Thompson.

Anyways, Travis is currently ranked 8th in ESPN's QBR for the season. Gift comes in at #4, and Kessler at #6.

http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/qbr

Great idea. This thread has been renamed and is now the official TW thread.

concerned
09-27-2015, 06:47 AM
Somebody was tweeting last night with the hashtag #davechristensenisanidiot.

Travis and a rod sure seemed in sync last night.

LA Ute
09-27-2015, 07:53 AM
Somebody was tweeting last night with the hashtag #davechristensenisanidiot.

Travis and a rod sure seemed in sync last night.

DC's approach to Travis looks pretty idiotic after these first four games.

LA Ute
09-27-2015, 01:54 PM
Was DC's approach very different that the approach we've taken this season? We are mostly conservative offensively, just like last season. We are still using him in the read option (which he's very good at). Most throws are short, and we mix in some downfield stuff. I do think things are clicking in ways that they didn't last season.

One thing Travis may have learned from DC is how to be smart with the ball. In his best games, we are getting 200-250 yards in the air and 50+ yards on the ground, and we have seen over the past few years that that can be enough.

One of the offseason goals was to get TW's completion percentage up. So far, mission accomplished. That has been a big deal for us so far.

Anyway, I loved some of Travis' throws last night (the TD to Scott, I thought, was great).

I was referring to the obvious lack of confidence in Travis, pulling him mid-game, not allowing throws over the middle, etc., plus generally alienating not only Travis but also the entire offensive squad, according to multiple reports.

concerned
09-27-2015, 05:02 PM
Brian Johnson had a nice tweet last night celebrating both of Mississippi State and the Utah wins.

Solon
09-27-2015, 08:26 PM
Was DC's approach very different that the approach we've taken this season? We are mostly conservative offensively, just like last season. We are still using him in the read option (which he's very good at). Most throws are short, and we mix in some downfield stuff. I do think things are clicking in ways that they didn't last season.

One thing Travis may have learned from DC is how to be smart with the ball. In his best games, we are getting 200-250 yards in the air and 50+ yards on the ground, and we have seen over the past few years that that can be enough.

One of the offseason goals was to get TW's completion percentage up. So far, mission accomplished. That has been a big deal for us so far.

Anyway, I loved some of Travis' throws last night (the TD to Scott, I thought, was great).
An underrated feature of TW's game is that he is very good at maintaining possession. Very few INTs the past couple of years. After the 6-pick debacle vs UCLA in 2013, I think TW has really improved on this. It's a luxury I have started to take for granted.

U-Ute
09-27-2015, 08:34 PM
Travis #1 on ESPN's QBR today.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/qbr

LA Ute
09-27-2015, 09:16 PM
Travis #1 on ESPN's QBR today.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/qbr

Nice! 4 of the top 10 are in the PAC-12.

Devildog
09-28-2015, 12:50 AM
I wasn't an initial fan of the rape shack mustache Travis is rolling with... However now that we have seen a measure of success with it. I'm down with it.

DrumNFeather
09-28-2015, 06:10 AM
The thing I've noticed about Travis this year is how poised and smart he appears to be out on the field. Crowd is going nuts at Autzen, clock is running down, and he is as cool as the other side of the pillow (RIP Stuart Scott) in getting everyone in the right place, communicating with his lineman, receivers, and backs and then he goes out and executes the play. I'm really impressed with how he has improved in this area.

Perhaps we need another Ute-Crowd-Funded operation to send Kevin Sumlin a fruit basket for taking DC out of this program.

Diehard Ute
09-28-2015, 06:19 AM
The thing I've noticed about Travis this year is how poised and smart he appears to be out on the field. Crowd is going nuts at Autzen, clock is running down, and he is as cool as the other side of the pillow (RIP Stuart Scott) in getting everyone in the right place, communicating with his lineman, receivers, and backs and then he goes out and executes the play. I'm really impressed with how he has improved in this area.

Perhaps we need another Ute-Crowd-Funded operation to send Kevin Sumlin a fruit basket for taking DC out of this program.

DC was gone one way or the other and he knew it. His new job wasn't accidental.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrumNFeather
09-28-2015, 07:40 AM
DC was gone one way or the other and he knew it. His new job wasn't accidental.

Still...it might be a nice gesture... :)

U-Ute
09-28-2015, 08:02 AM
Still...it might be a nice gesture... :)

It is always nice to let people know how much you appreciate their absence.

Applejack
09-28-2015, 08:18 AM
Day 3: still ecstatic!

Irving Washington
09-28-2015, 08:33 AM
That probably was Travis' best game. What impressed me the most was that I don't remember a single WTF throw at someone's feet or three feet over their outstretched arms.

Keep it up!

UtahsMrSports
09-28-2015, 08:37 AM
Day 3: still ecstatic!

Absolutely!

UTEopia
09-28-2015, 01:25 PM
I think the progression we are seeing from Travis is what you see when your OC is helping you be a better player and giving you confidence instead of looking for every reason to play his guy. I hope we continue to see the confident, in control Travis the rest of the season.

U-Ute
09-28-2015, 06:31 PM
I think the progression we are seeing from Travis is what you see when your OC is helping you be a better player and giving you confidence instead of looking for every reason to play his guy. I hope we continue to see the confident, in control Travis the rest of the season.

Just watched the DVR replay and nothing could faze Travis Saturday. He knew exactly what to do based on what he was seeing.

LA Ute
09-28-2015, 07:17 PM
Just watched the DVR replay and nothing could phase Travis Saturday. He knew exactly what to do based on what he was seeing.

Was Oregon's D just bad?

DrumNFeather
09-28-2015, 07:32 PM
Was Oregon's D just bad?

Even if they are not on par with where they've been, that stadium consistently got louder and louder as the clock wound down.

Diehard Ute
09-28-2015, 07:41 PM
Was Oregon's D just bad?

They made mistakes. The Pac12 Network guys broke down some of them.

That being said, Travis exploited all of those mistakes. He knew which routes to hit, when to let Booker have the ball and when to pull it back and keep it. He also sold his fakes, causing some of their mistakes.

The other thing I noticed on the replay is just how quickly Travis identified what to do and executed it. There wasn't any hesitation.

chrisrenrut
09-28-2015, 07:44 PM
Was Oregon's D just bad?

I think it was the old formula of success=preparation+opportunity. They may not be great, you know they have talent but not much experience. And Travis and the offense had studied them and we're confident and loose enough to execute almost perfectly.

U-Ute
09-28-2015, 08:04 PM
Was Oregon's D just bad?

It seemed to me that their biggest mistake was over pursuing. All of the big plays we made were exploiting guys who would leave their assignments to make a play.

- Safety leaves Covey to chase Booker on the halfback pass.
- Punt return team chasing Covey without finding the ball
- The first TD pass to Covey after the safety and corner bite on the pump fake to KScott.
- Chasing Booker when Travis and KT keep on the read option.

Diehard Ute
09-28-2015, 08:14 PM
It seemed to me that their biggest mistake was over pursuing. All of the big plays we made were exploiting guys who would leave their assignments to make a play.

- Safety leaves Covey to chase Booker on the halfback pass.
- Punt return team chasing Covey without finding the ball
- The first TD pass to Covey after the safety and corner bite on the pump fake to KScott.
- Chasing Booker when Travis and KT keep on the read option.

When the Pac12 guys broke it down almost all of the breakdowns came when someone didn't stay with their assignment or job.

The analyst, who was a head coach (his name is escaping me) said basically too many Oregon players wanted to be the hero.

There was also a design flaw on Repp's second TD. Their defense design had the LB blitz and the DE try to drop back into coverage. Something he has no chance of doing on a guy like Repp. Utah used their personnel wisely to create a matchup problem.

U-Ute
09-28-2015, 08:26 PM
There was also a design flaw on Repp's second TD. Their defense design had the LB blitz and the DE try to drop back into coverage. Something he has no chance of doing on a guy like Repp. Utah used their personnel wisely to create a matchup problem.

Yeah. That one was definitely a scheme issue. I guess they underestimated Repp's speed. I have heard Whit after that say Repp is a size/speed matchup
issue. It'll be interesting to see how much time he gets against Cal.

Diehard Ute
09-28-2015, 08:34 PM
Yeah. That one was definitely a scheme issue. I guess they underestimated Repp's speed. I have heard Whit after that say Repp is a size/speed matchup
issue. It'll be interesting to see how much time he gets against Cal.

Kenneth Scott talked about him today.

Said he's too fast for a LB (4.5), too strong for most Safeties and too tall and athletic for most CB's. He also praised his hands. He was very high on his ability to create mismatches.

concerned
09-28-2015, 08:40 PM
At his press conference, kW called him a tweener. A little too small to be a tight end a little too slow to be a WR. Highlighted that is what creates the matchup problems

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-29-2015, 09:12 AM
For fun.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/29/922ffaddd3e31f55bb77c4c51a16836e.jpg

wally
09-29-2015, 09:58 AM
I am not going to fall on the sword just yet, but I have been a TW critic. Previously having stated that I would rather have have Taysom Hill as QB than TW (I know, I know), I am going to have to fall on the sword big time if TW keeps proving me wrong. I will, however, never have been happier to eat crow.

I am sure that this rhetorical question has been mused a lot lately, but I wonder just how much having an OC that believes in you does for a QB? Another question is, I wonder just how well we'll respond when we face a really physical defensive team and have to grind out our points? The best part of PAC 12 participation is that we get to find out.

Rocker Ute
09-29-2015, 10:41 AM
I've been largely neutral if not negative on TW (I never wanted KT but was never enamored with TW) and pretty much remain that way. My problem is while part of my brain feels like this is a breakout and exposure of who we really are, I also recognize that history is not favorable for us with these sort of 'awakening' sort of games.

The meltdown will be epic if we struggle against Cal or even lose.

I've said it before: If we continue to play like we did against OU we are contenders... but I'm afraid of reality setting back in.

U-Ute
09-29-2015, 10:44 AM
I've said it before: If we continue to play like we did against OU we are contenders... but I'm afraid of reality setting back in.

Beyond anything else you have said and done, this proves the depth of your Ute fandom.

I too have felt this pain.

LA Ute
09-29-2015, 10:45 AM
Beyond anything else you have said and done, this proves the depth of your Ute fandom.

The calluses in our nether regions are constant reminders to all of us.

DrumNFeather
09-29-2015, 10:56 AM
I've been largely neutral if not negative on TW (I never wanted KT but was never enamored with TW) and pretty much remain that way. My problem is while part of my brain feels like this is a breakout and exposure of who we really are, I also recognize that history is not favorable for us with these sort of 'awakening' sort of games.

The meltdown will be epic if we struggle against Cal or even lose.

I don't necessarily think it has to be one way or the other.

With a pretty vanilla offense, we grinded out a win over Michigan by a TD. Nobody cares whether or not we looked good doing it, the point now that people are making is "Hey, Utah beat Michigan, and Michigan seems pretty good."

I suspect we will regress back to the mean a little bit, but that doesn't change the narrative for this team in the least. In fact, we probably should expect a WTF performance from Travis at some point this year. I think the difference is, this team seems to be built to withstand some of that pressure, more so than in seasons' past, and we have some depth to be able to overcome some bad throws or plays by our team. It's certainly not all going to be 62-20 the rest of the way, but I think this team will hold up.

Rocker Ute
09-29-2015, 11:50 AM
If nothing else this is should be a confidence booster for this team that we can not only play with but beat anybody.

No this isn't the Marriotta Oregon but it isn't Savannah St either and we sure made them look like Savannah St.

You are exactly right about this team. I hope they just keep playing with a chip on their shoulder and it should be a memorable season.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-29-2015, 04:12 PM
I was watching some clips from last year earlier today. Travis would line up three yards behind center, take a quick scan of the defense, and then hike the ball. Every. single. time. Almost to the point to where he looks disinterested in the defense because he wouldn't be able to do anything about it anyway. This season it makes me happy whenever he takes a step or two forward and changes the play to counter what the defense has shown. Especially when it works.

chrisrenrut
09-29-2015, 05:05 PM
I was watching some clips from last year earlier today. Travis would line up three yards behind center, take a quick scan of the defense, and then hike the ball. Every. single. time. Almost to the point to where he looks disinterested in the defense because he wouldn't be able to do anything about it anyway. This season it makes me happy whenever he takes a step or two forward and changes the play to counter what the defense has shown. Especially when it works.The rumor was that Christensen wouldn't let him audible last year. His only decision making on the field was in his read progression of read option.

jrj84105
09-29-2015, 05:33 PM
I think it was the old formula of success=preparation+opportunity. They may not be great, you know they have talent but not much experience. And Travis and the offense had studied them and we're confident and loose enough to execute almost perfectly.

That was probably one of the easiest games he's played in his four years here because it was a perfect gameplan, designed to take advantage of Oregon's tendency for missed assignments by incorporating a ton of plays that were designed to create assignment confusion. TW knew where the assignments were going to breakdown before it happened. Now, we hope that watching tape of this game makes opponents assignment hypersensitive to the point where it slows their ability to react to plays or to break off assignment a little too late when it's called for.

U-Ute
09-29-2015, 06:07 PM
It should make things easier for Booker since the safeties have to pay attention more.

Rocker Ute
09-29-2015, 06:36 PM
DC was known to have said that both of his QBs last year were 'too stupid' to run his offense. Seems he was wrong about that too.

Diehard Ute
09-29-2015, 07:25 PM
DC was known to have said that both of his QBs last year were 'too stupid' to run his offense. Seems he was wrong about that too.

Anyone who has paid a little bit of attention would know how stupid he was to say this.

Travis and Kendall both have limitations (as everyone does) but neither are remotely close to stupid.

Guessing DC thinks so highly of himself he can't get out of his own way

chrisrenrut
09-29-2015, 10:30 PM
That was probably one of the easiest games he's played in his four years here because it was a perfect gameplan, designed to take advantage of Oregon's tendency for missed assignments by incorporating a ton of plays that were designed to create assignment confusion. TW knew where the assignments were going to breakdown before it happened. Now, we hope that watching tape of this game makes opponents assignment hypersensitive to the point where it slows their ability to react to plays or to break off assignment a little too late when it's called for.

Dead on. And Travis was confident and calm enough to make the throws. The Travis of years past probably overthrows 1 or 2 of the touchdown passes he had on Saturday. The pass to Scott and the first to Repp were beautiful throws.

I rewatched the 60 Minuter replay last night, and I was impressed with how even the team was emotionally. They expected good things to happen. There were not a lot of big celebrations, it was brief and the. Back to business. I noticed on both interceptions, the defenders handed the ball to the ref. They bought into "giant against a giant".

Devildog
10-11-2015, 11:26 AM
Travis didn't look great last night. We won against a strong Cal team anyway. Travis doesn't have to be a world beater for these Utes to have success and win games. He just has to be capable and competent. The defense is outstanding and Booker is a complete beast. If Travis can keep his completion percentage above 60% we will compete in every game. If we expect to win the PAC 12 South, he is gonna have to produce some strong games along the way.

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-23-2015, 12:43 PM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-travis-wilson-utah-20151022-story.html

LA Ute
11-10-2015, 10:37 PM
I think this is a free article:

https://utah.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1823822

U-Ute
11-11-2015, 09:03 AM
I like Travis. I really do. I think he's a tough kid who has come through some hard times with his head held high. He is going to be a great husband and father one day.

I think his biggest downfall on the football field is his best personality trait: his ability to let things roll off of him.

His footwork and mechanics just aren't what they should be for a senior QB. Those things as well as the fact he wasn't voted a captain by his team are flags that he doesn't have that mental edge to push himself and others to be the best. He just has a little too much of "this is good enough" in him, which is why he is so inconsistent.

Not a knock on the kid as a person. Like I said, I think he comes across as a wonderfully fun guy and he'll succeed in the "real world" once football is done with him.

LA Ute
11-16-2015, 03:54 PM
Britain Covey on Travis's travails (stolen from Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10208363218861114&set=gm.942697072491797&type=3&theater)):

U-Ute
11-17-2015, 08:58 AM
Britain Covey on Travis's travails (stolen from Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10208363218861114&set=gm.942697072491797&type=3&theater)):

That kid is a damn fine leader. Whittingham better meet him in the airport when he returns.

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-17-2015, 11:11 PM
Stolen from FB which was stolen from Twitter.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/17/950d03f845759e94cd7763c6b26dba3c.jpg

Diehard Ute
11-17-2015, 11:28 PM
Didn't Andy break some kind of fg record too?

Yeah he broke King Louie's career FG mark

DrumNFeather
12-21-2015, 11:32 AM
Travis posted the following on Instagram:

travis_wilson7The journey back home and the start of a new chapter in my life. Thank you to everyone who has helped me during my time at Utah, friends, neighbors, fans, and coaches and a special thanks to the wonderful people @parkcafeslc I will have many great memories of my time spent in Salt Lake and all the adversity I have faced during my 4 years has only helped me grow as a person and as an athlete. I know I had a lot of criticism towards my football career but one thing is I was always going to give it everything I could for Utah football and play every snap with toughness, heart, and confidence. Blessed and grateful I had the opportunity to play with these teammates and they are all friendships that will last a lifetime. Thanks again for all the great people I have crossed paths with at Utah and I will forever be a proud Ute!

Sullyute
12-21-2015, 11:49 AM
I cannot disagree. The kid definitely gave it his all. We should be proud that he was a Ute.

GarthUte
12-21-2015, 11:50 AM
Travis posted the following on Instagram:

While I've been critical of his play the last half of the season, I like Travis as a man and think he's a great person. I wish him well in his endeavors.

SeattleUte
12-21-2015, 01:08 PM
I think Travis might make an NFL tight end. Gronk/Graham style. Big tall tight ends are very much in style now.

LA Ute
12-21-2015, 04:17 PM
I'm always going to look back on TW fondly. I love the kid. I'll always wonder why some coach, early in his life as a football player, didn't fix his throwing mechanics before it was too late. But that's all in the past. He is a great Ute, and really was the QB who really brought us into the PAC-12. And who beat USC in a thrilling 60-second drive as time ran out!