PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Football Recruiting

Pages : [1] 2

Applejack
05-20-2014, 01:00 PM
Let's get started looking at the in-state kids. This is a critical year for Utah football because recruits have not seen on-field success from the Utes during their high school career.

The bad news is that we are already pretty behind on the in-state recruits. There is some good defensive talent and O-lineman in the state this year. The only problem is none have signed with us. Here's a look at the too-early top 10:

1. Porter Gustin, Salem Hills, LB: he has a bazillion offers, including everyone in the pac-12, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Florida State. He's USC's to lose - Utah is not in the running.
2. Osa Masina, Brighton, LB: offers from all of the Pac-12, Notre Dame, Michigan, Wisconsin, Oklahoma, Nebraska, BYU. He looks like a Utah lean (his two brothers are on the team now). But he's getting a big push from big names. What's with all of the talented polys going to Michigan and Wisconsin lately?
3. Andre James, Herriman, OT: offers from all of the Pac-12, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Nebraska. He's undecided, but Utah is not in play here either.
4. Christian Folau, East, LB: Stanford commit. (Sorry, Sancho).
5. Dayan Lake, Northridge, DB: BYU commit.
6. Branden Bowers, Corner Canyon, OT: offers from Utah, BYU, Colorado, Boise, Oregon St, Washington St.
7. Austin Kafentzis, Jordan, QB: Wisconsin commit. He committed a while ago to Gary A.
8. Mufi Hunt, Brighton, DE: He claims offers from the non-California Pac-12 schools, BYU, and Oklahoma.
9. Devin Kaufusi, Provo, DE: BYU commit.
10. T.J. Fehoko, Cottonwood, DE: Colorado commit. Utah asked his cousin VJ to play elsewhere this year, so the coaches had to know we would lose TJ.

It's really too bad that other schools have figured out the Utah football scene, because this year is stocked with LBs and O-lineman, two positions we can never seem to recruit well. Osa is priority Number 1 for the coaches covering Utah, with Bowers and Hunt as priority 1(a).

UBlender
05-20-2014, 01:17 PM
Let's get started looking at the in-state kids. This is a critical year for Utah football because recruits have not seen on-field success from the Utes during their high school career.

The bad news is that we are already pretty behind on the in-state recruits. There is some good defensive talent and O-lineman in the state this year. The only problem is none have signed with us. Here's a look at the too-early top 10:

1. Porter Gustin, Salem Hills, LB: he has a bazillion offers, including everyone in the pac-12, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Florida State. He's USC's to lose - Utah is not in the running.
2. Osa Masina, Brighton, LB: offers from all of the Pac-12, Notre Dame, Michigan, Wisconsin, Oklahoma, Nebraska, BYU. He looks like a Utah lean (his two brothers are on the team now). But he's getting a big push from big names. What's with all of the talented polys going to Michigan and Wisconsin lately?
3. Andre James, Herriman, OT: offers from all of the Pac-12, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Nebraska. He's undecided, but Utah is not in play here either.
6. Branden Bowers, Corner Canyon, OT: offers from Utah, BYU, Colorado, Boise, Oregon St, Washington St.
7. Austin Kafentzis, Jordan, QB: Wisconsin commit. He committed a while ago to Gary A.
8. Mufi Hunt, Brighton, DE: He claims offers from the non-California Pac-12 schools, BYU, and Oklahoma.
9. Devin Kaufusi, Provo, DE: BYU commit.
10. T.J. Fehoko, Cottonwood, DE: Colorado commit.Utah asked his cousin VJ to play elsewhere this year, so the coaches had to know we would lose TJ.

It's really too bad that other schools have figured out the Utah football scene, because this year is stocked with LBs and O-lineman, two positions we can never seem to recruit well. Osa is priority Number 1 for the coaches covering Utah, with Bowers and Hunt as priority 1(a).

What is the source for both your rankings and analysis on each recruit?

Applejack
05-20-2014, 01:26 PM
Rankings are composite scores from 247sports.com. They make a composite of a bunch of other recruiting sites.

The commentary is mine.

UBlender
05-20-2014, 02:28 PM
Rankings are composite scores from 247sports.com. They make a composite of a bunch of other recruiting sites.

The commentary is mine.

Interesting. i was just curious because I haven't seen any rankings that have anyone other than Masina as the top in-state prospect. Gustin has become a much better football player between November and now, based on the teams that have offered him and the revised rankings.

While I don't think Utah has a great chance at either Gustin or James, both have recently acknowledged that Utah is still in the running (James released his top six schools last week and Utah was one of them).

Diehard Ute
05-20-2014, 03:05 PM
Interesting. i was just curious because I haven't seen any rankings that have anyone other than Masina as the top in-state prospect. Gustin has become a much better football player between November and now, based on the teams that have offered him and the revised rankings.

While I don't think Utah has a great chance at either Gustin or James, both have recently acknowledged that Utah is still in the running (James released his top six schools last week and Utah was one of them).

Exactly. James has Utah in his final 6, Nebraska is not.

Gustin told the Trib last week that Utah is still in the running and he really likes the "coaches and facilities".

Applejack
05-21-2014, 10:51 AM

Thanks for the update on James and gustin. I think we are still a long shit with both, but winning changes things. All recruiting rankings are subjective, but the offer lists for the top 3 guys is really, really impressive.

sancho
05-21-2014, 11:25 AM

Stanford seems appropriate for an East High pretty boy. If I were an East High pretty dad, I would definitely tell my pretty son to go to Stanford.

Josh Grant went to East, right? I love Josh Grant. Who are other successful East High athletes? There must be a handful of football players.

Anyway, I hope this guy brings shame and mediocrity back to Stanford football when he and Dalton Shultz get caught in a cheating scandal going all the way to the top of the admin levels.

Applejack
05-21-2014, 12:00 PM
Stanford seems appropriate for an East High pretty boy. If I were an East High pretty dad, I would definitely tell my pretty son to go to Stanford.

Josh Grant went to East, right? I love Josh Grant. Who are other successful East High athletes? There must be a handful of football players.

Anyway, I hope this guy brings shame and mediocrity back to Stanford football when he and Dalton Shultz get caught in a cheating scandal going all the way to the top of the admin levels.

Parker Van Dyke?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-sFX4ZTrdHho/UGvTed28RmI/AAAAAAAAHvI/YlSQBqUNF9k/s1600/1.jpg

chrisrenrut
05-21-2014, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the update on James and gustin. I think we are still a long shit with both, but winning changes things. All recruiting rankings are subjective, but the offer lists for the top 3 guys is really, really impressive.

Love the typo :)

LA Ute
05-21-2014, 08:41 PM
Love the typo :)

I wasn't 100% sure it is a typo. Kinda makes sense either way, doesn't it?

Applejack
05-23-2014, 06:29 AM
I wasn't 100% sure it is a typo. Kinda makes sense either way, doesn't it?

I like it. I'll leave it up.

Damage U
05-31-2014, 10:09 AM
Kind of nice company to be in. 24/7s #2 Safety Deionte Thompson (Bama commit) tweets that he will officially visit Bama, USC, FSU, LSU and Utah.
http://247sports.com/Player/Deionte-Thompson-20516

Epic if we actually land him.

Applejack
06-17-2014, 03:21 PM
DeezNews says (http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865605318/Many-feel-this-years-in-state-football-recruiting-class-could-be-Utahs-best-ever.html) that 2015 is the best in-state recruiting class EVAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Interesting tidbits:

- "Most reports" say Osa Masina is looking to go out of state. Where did those reports come from?!?!!? I hate those reports.
- As Blender U correctly said, Andre James has Utah in his Top 6, with some really, really good programs.
- Mufi Hunt has "a lot of interest" in Utah and BYU.
- Branden Bowen has shares Mufi's "a lot of interest" in Utah. Sorry, BYU.
- James Empey, an offensive lineman for American Fork (go Cavemen!) is a Utah lean.

LA Ute
06-17-2014, 03:57 PM
- James Empey, an offensive lineman for American Fork (go Cavemen!) is a Utah lean.

I always thought American Fork's team name was the best ever.

UtahsMrSports
06-18-2014, 07:16 AM
DeezNews says (http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865605318/Many-feel-this-years-in-state-football-recruiting-class-could-be-Utahs-best-ever.html) that 2015 is the best in-state recruiting class EVAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Interesting tidbits:

- "Most reports" say Osa Masina is looking to go out of state. Where did those reports come from?!?!!? I hate those reports.
- As Blender U correctly said, Andre James has Utah in his Top 6, with some really, really good programs.
- Mufi Hunt has "a lot of interest" in Utah and BYU.
- Branden Bowen has shares Mufi's "a lot of interest" in Utah. Sorry, BYU.

Good read. Thanks for posting. Nice to know that even if we are not cleaning up in state, we are at least the favorites for a few of these guys.

This is such a big year. If we can manage to win some games we aren't expected to, it could really go a long way in helping some of these guys decide to stay home.

Oh, and I have now officially completed a comment about a Brandon C Gurney article without taking a jab at his homerism or credibility (the former he has in abundance, the latter he has almost none.)

Darn it, well, maybe next time........

UTEopia
06-18-2014, 07:55 AM
I think this year will be the longest recruiting year in recent Utah football history. It is no secret that KW is on the hot seat. Most prognosticators have again ranked the schedule as one of the toughest in the country and believe the Utes will again find themselves below .500. IMO, this will result in recruits being more cautious before committing and in more guys flipping (we just saw a highly regarded JC WR de-commit to commit to Kansas who is coming off a 3-9 season) if the season goes as is predicted and KW gets fired.

concerned
06-18-2014, 08:05 AM
I think this year will be the longest recruiting year in recent Utah football history. It is no secret that KW is on the hot seat. Most prognosticators have again ranked the schedule as one of the toughest in the country and believe the Utes will again find themselves below .500. IMO, this will result in recruits being more cautious before committing and in more guys flipping (we just saw a highly regarded JC WR de-commit to commit to Kansas who is coming off a 3-9 season) if the season goes as is predicted and KW gets fired.

That most of the top tier in state talent the last few years has left home is the most disturbing trend, and hard to reverse. If we cant keep a good share of the four stars, we will never be able to compete. I am starting to think that it is going to take a new infusion in the coaching staff to create a buzz among recruits, and give them a reason to stay home, sort of like when Urban arrived, or after his first year. If the offense struggles again this year, that may be the last nail in the coffin. I never thought I would say that, but it seems possible.

Applejack
06-25-2014, 07:38 AM
We just offered and received a commitment from Jackson Barton's (freshman O-line) brother Cody, a safety at Brighton. He's not a heavily recruited kid, especially compared to his brother. But he's a die-hard Ute and it's always nice to have a brother-brother combo on the team. http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865605759/Utah-football-Cody-Barton-to-join-brother-Jackson-at-Utah.html

sancho
07-10-2014, 05:19 PM

Sounds like Osa has crossed us off his list. "Man turns his back on his family, well he just ain't no good..."

justaute
07-10-2014, 07:08 PM
Well, football is business....and biz at Utah hasn't been so good as of late. And, a different environment for college isn't a bad thing.

Sounds like Osa has crossed us off his list. "Man turns his back on his family, well he just ain't no good..."

sancho
07-10-2014, 07:59 PM
different environment for college isn't a bad thing.

Depends on the environment. If the environment is below freezing 8 months of the year, that's a bad thing. Seriously, what are these Wisconsin fools thinking?

LA Ute
07-30-2014, 05:10 PM
This is interesting but not surprising.

Penn State drops recruit because of social media actions (http://247sports.com/Bolt/Penn-State-drops-recruit-because-of-social-media-actions-29941068)

Crimsonute
08-04-2014, 12:05 AM
This is interesting but not surprising.

Penn State drops recruit because of social media actions (http://247sports.com/Bolt/Penn-State-drops-recruit-because-of-social-media-actions-29941068) I believe Utah dropped a guy last year from LA for a twitter post. I was following him, and and thought WHAT? Who am I following. A couple days later, Brian Swinney said Utah had dropped him, and thought it was because of a twitter post.

UtahsMrSports
08-04-2014, 07:30 AM
I believe Utah dropped a guy last year from LA for a twitter post. I was following him, and and thought WHAT? Who am I following. A couple days later, Brian Swinney said Utah had dropped him, and thought it was because of a twitter post.

Twitter is a loaded gun. Some people can handle it well, others can not. When I had it, I tried following some of our players/potential recruits. That lasted two days before I unfollowed them all.

Damage U
08-16-2014, 10:14 AM
http://lighttheu.com/2014/08/utah-gets-commit-taylor-thomas/

Utes pick up another from the Sunshine State. His highlights remind me of the wolfman.

sancho
08-23-2014, 05:18 PM
Just picked up a transfer from UCLA. Kyle Fitts, DE.

https://rivals.yahoo.com/LSU/football/recruiting/player-Kylie-Fitts-125710

Was very highly regarded out of high school. Did not play much as a freshman last year. He was not going to start this year as a sophomore, but was listed on the two deep. He can play in 2015.

LA Ute
08-23-2014, 05:30 PM

Was very highly regarded out of high school. Did not play much as a freshman last year. He was not going to start this year as a sophomore, but was listed on the two deep. He can play in 2015.

I've got to give this coaching staff credit for hustling. They're getting talent in the door in whatever way they can.

Applejack
08-24-2014, 06:48 AM

I remember him from recruiting (he was one of that year's many almost-huge signings). It looks like he got minimal action as a freshman for the Bruins last year. I wonder why he decided to leave? Anyway, it looks like a nice pick-up.

sancho
08-24-2014, 07:33 AM
I remember him from recruiting (he was one of that year's many almost-huge signings). It looks like he got minimal action as a freshman for the Bruins last year. I wonder why he decided to leave? Anyway, it looks like a nice pick-up.

Plus, no disrespect to Mora and co, but nobody can squeeze the talent out of a DE like Kyle and Kalani. In recruitng, there are right and wrong answers, and Utah is the right answer for a DLine recruit.

Applejack
08-24-2014, 12:58 PM
Plus, no disrespect to Mora and co, but nobody can squeeze the talent out of a DE like Kyle and Kalani. In recruitng, there are right and wrong answers, and Utah is the right answer for a DLine recruit.

Fully agree. In fact, someone on this board reassured me last year that our D-line would always be a strength under K&K, regardless of the players involved - I've now fully adopted that philosophy.

One more question on Fitts - does he really have three years eligibility left? I thought that intra-conference transfers lost a year. Is that not the case anymore?

Diehard Ute
08-24-2014, 02:47 PM
Fully agree. In fact, someone on this board reassured me last year that our D-line would always be a strength under K&K, regardless of the players involved - I've now fully adopted that philosophy.

One more question on Fitts - does he really have three years eligibility left? I thought that intra-conference transfers lost a year. Is that not the case anymore?

He won an appeal, conference waived the penalty. He will redshirt this year then have 3 to play 3. (And that appeal is rare and helps debunk the UCLA fans who claim it was about playing time)

Utah
08-27-2014, 01:46 PM
Whitt said Fitts was a 3 to play 2 kid. He did also say that if a third year is needed, they will apply for a medical hardship because he was injured last year and feel he would get a third year.

But it sounds like his third year will be spent making dolla dolla bills.

Applejack
11-28-2014, 12:17 PM
Now that the season consists only of only two more opponents (Colorado and bowl victim to be named later), let's revisit the ugly state of in-state recruiting this year. As always, rankings are from 247.com, commentary is mine.

1. Osa Masina, Brighton, LB: offers from all of the Pac-12, Notre Dame, Michigan, Wisconsin, Oklahoma, Nebraska, BYU. He's been in-person for most of the big Utah wins this year. But, it still looks like he's going elsewhere. Visiting USC this weekend.
2. Porter Gustin, Salem Hills, LB: he has a bazillion offers, including everyone in the pac-12, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Florida State. He looks like a USC guy, but he's made some comments about Utah being "in the running" lately
3. Andre James, Herriman, OT: UCLA commit. Visiting Ohio State this weekend, Utah next.
4. Christian Folau, East, LB: Former Stanford commit, now down to Utah, Oklahoma State (what?), and Wisconsin. Wisky is the favorite.
6. Austin Kafentzis, Jordan, QB: Wisconsin commit.
7. Mufi Hunt, Brighton, DE: Top three is Utah, Cal, Wazzu. I like our chances with that bunch.
8. Branden Bowers, Corner Canyon, OT: Ohio State commit. Former Utah commit.
9. Jeremiah Ieremia, Hurricane, LB: BYU commit.
10. Gabe Reid, Timpview, DE: Offers from the Arizona schools, Stanford, UW, Utah, BYU. A DE from Timpview with the last name Reid? Sounds like a Cougar.
11. T.J. Fehoko, Cottonwood, DE: Colorado commit.
12. James Empey, American Fork, Guard: Offers from the Washington schools, Utah schools, Boise, and Oregon State. I've heard he's a Utah lean, but he's been quiet lately.
13. Kody Wilstead, Pine View, QB: BYU commit. A pro-style QB at BYU? This isn't the 1990s.
14. Bailey Kenter, Layton, Punter: Yes, a punter. He's a Boise State lean. Until Hackett wins the Ray Guy award, that is.
15. Devin Kaufusi, Timpview, DE: BYU commit.
16. Quinn Fabrizio, Alta, Safety: Utah commit. Finally!
17. Zayne Anderson, Stansbury, USU commit.
18. Houston Heimuli, Bountiful, FB : Stanford commit. I don't think Utah or BYU offered this guy. Weird signing.
19. Riley Burt, Box Elder, Athlete: BYU commit.
20. Chayden Johnston, Bingham, Kicker: Utah commit. Hopefully he's working hard on his teammate, Osa.

Overall, Utah is not raking in the in-state recruits. There are still some big names out there, but we're long shots for all of them. We really need some of the LB talent in this class.

Diehard Ute
11-28-2014, 03:38 PM
Doubt Utah will go after Kenter with a punter already committed.

Applejack
11-28-2014, 03:40 PM
Doubt Utah will go after Kenter with a punter already committed.

As this year has proved, punter may be a more valuable position than QB. And we have 4 QBs!

Diehard Ute
11-28-2014, 03:41 PM
As this year has proved, punter may be a more valuable position than QB. And we have 4 QBs!

Everyone has 4 QB's. Half the schools don't even recruit punters

Applejack
11-28-2014, 03:42 PM
Everyone has 4 QB's. Half the schools don't even recruit punters

I know. Just playing. I think we're done with punters for a while. Sure would like some of those linebackers, though.

Applejack
12-12-2014, 06:14 PM
So, with Gary leaving the frozen tundra of Wisconsin, what are our chances with their Utah recruits. Christian folau seems like a no-brainer: it's between us and Oklahoma state. But he seems really intent on not coming to Utah. Austin kafentzis has been a wisci commit for two years now, so I figure he might stick it out with the new staff.

Diehard Ute
12-12-2014, 06:17 PM
So, with Gary leaving the frozen tundra of Wisconsin, what are our chances with their Utah recruits. Christian folau seems like a no-brainer: it's between us and Oklahoma state. But he seems really intent on not coming to Utah. Austin kafentzis has been a wisci commit for two years now, so I figure he might stick it out with the new staff.

Folau is a good possibility based on his reaction.

Word is Kafentzis will only go somewhere where he can play QB and word is that's not Utah.

Diehard Ute
12-12-2014, 06:31 PM

Folau just tweeted his official visit pic from the U out FWIW

concerned
12-12-2014, 09:48 PM
My son says both folau and Toulatau will commit to the U. But he doesnt know a damn thing

justaute
12-12-2014, 10:20 PM
That would be nice. Though, like Whit's offense, I'll believe it when I see it -- ok, seeing these kids sign likely has higher probability than seeing Utah getting an offense.

My son says both folau and Toulatau will commit to the U. But he doesnt know a damn thing

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-13-2014, 01:11 AM
Folau is a good possibility based on his reaction.

Word is Kafentzis will only go somewhere where he can play QB and word is that's not Utah.

What was his reaction?

Diehard Ute
12-13-2014, 01:13 AM
What was his reaction?

Said Wisconsin was out and it was down to us and Oklahoma State.

LA Ute
12-13-2014, 07:50 AM
Said Wisconsin was out and it was down to us and Oklahoma State.

I haven't followed the Kaufentzis (sp?) drama. Does Utah want him? Is he really all that and a bag of chips?

UTEopia
12-13-2014, 08:26 AM
I haven't followed the Kaufentzis (sp?) drama. Does Utah want him? Is he really all that and a bag of chips?

Kafentzis has had an amazing high school career. He started as a freshman and has been outstanding. He is a gamer. He was reportedly offered by the Utes very early and told that the offer was there if he committed immediately. His father did not like that, and as a father, I can understand that. From that point on, there has never been any interest between the two. As with Chase Hansen, I think there is some question as to whether he can be a D1 QB. He is 6' 200 and a very good athlete who could play safety.

justaute
12-13-2014, 08:42 AM
Why would a "good" QB sign with Utah? Is there a compelling reason? Obviously, there are a variety of reasons to commit/sign with a program, such as playing-time, a place to show-case skills, win, development, etc -- Utah might offer one or two.

LA Ute
12-13-2014, 09:39 AM
Why would a "good" QB sign with Utah? Is there a compelling reason? Obviously, there are a variety of reasons to commit/sign with a program, such as playing-time, a place to show-case skills, win, development, etc -- Utah might offer one or two.

An excellent question.

#1 Utefan
12-14-2014, 08:38 AM
An excellent question.

I'm not convinced Kafenztis is a high D1 caliber QB. Maybe Gary offers him a chance to come to OSU to play QB but my feeling all along has been that GA was recruiting him as a QB with the intent of switching him to another position once he has him. I just don't see a lot of schools banging down the kids door wanting him to play QB but what do I know.

On another note, was Folau's interest in Wisconsin because of GA or the school? If it is GA, my guess is GA is still trying to get him to OSU. That may be a tougher sell as OSU isn't Wisconsin (or Utah for that matter).

utefan
12-14-2014, 10:31 AM
I'm not convinced Kafenztis is a high D1 caliber QB. Maybe Gary offers him a chance to come to OSU to play QB but my feeling all along has been that GA was recruiting him as a QB with the intent of switching him to another position once he has him. I just don't see a lot of schools banging down the kids door wanting him to play QB but what do I know.

On another note, was Folau's interest in Wisconsin because of GA or the school? If it is GA, my guess is GA is still trying to get him to OSU. That may be a tougher sell as OSU isn't Wisconsin (or Utah for that matter).

My personal opinion is Kafentzis is a much better QB than Chase Hansen. That doesn't mean he's good enough to play QB at a P5 school, but if either of them is good enough it's Kafentzis.

sancho
12-14-2014, 12:43 PM
My personal opinion is Kafentzis is a much better QB than Chase Hansen. That doesn't mean he's good enough to play QB at a P5 school, but if either of them is good enough it's Kafentzis.

The good news here is that even the paid experts are wrong about QBs far more often than they are right. So your guess regarding Hansen, Kafentzis, or any other QB is pretty much as good as my two year old daughter's.

sancho
12-14-2014, 01:01 PM

I don't know. The kid is considering Oklahoma State, so who knows what he wants or where he'll end up. Maybe he should think about how badly Gary Anderson wants to be associated with Utah football and realize there is something here that is hard to get elsewhere.

sancho
12-14-2014, 01:03 PM
my feeling all along has been that GA was recruiting him as a QB with the intent of switching him to another position once he has him. I just don't see a lot of schools banging down the kids door wanting him to play QB but what do I know.

This is a winning tactic. We should be telling him (and anyone else) that he can be a QB here.

utefan
12-14-2014, 01:59 PM
The good news here is that even the paid experts are wrong about QBs far more often than they are right. So your guess regarding Hansen, Kafentzis, or any other QB is pretty much as good as my two year old daughter's.
I don't know about that. Sure, they don't get them all right. But I wouldn't say they're wrong more often than they're right. Is not a blind crap shoot. They generally have a pretty good idea who will pan out and who won't.

sancho
12-14-2014, 02:06 PM
I don't know about that. Sure, they don't get them all right. But I wouldn't say they're wrong more often than they're right. Is not a blind crap shoot. They generally have a pretty good idea who will pan out and who won't.

Ok, let's just agree that they are wrong about qb more often than for any other position.

utefan
12-14-2014, 02:24 PM
Ok, let's just agree that they are wrong about qb more often than for any other position.
I can probably agree with that, but it depends on what you mean by it.

If a guy stays planted on the bench behind a solid starter, it doesn't necessarily mean they were wrong about him. He may be a solid starter as well, but the other guy gets the nod because he's slightly better at something the coaches want.

U-Ute
12-15-2014, 10:04 AM
We should get on this Jack Lenihan guy right away..

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2122944/highlights/206727383

He makes things happen.

LA Ute
12-15-2014, 12:05 PM
We should get on this Jack Lenihan guy right away..

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2122944/highlights/206727383

He makes things happen.

Kind of rude of you to link to a pay site. 5 demerits, buddy!

U-Ute
12-15-2014, 01:17 PM

Huh? You can watch the video without paying anything. At least I'm able to and I don't have an account with them.

Then again, I am a 1337 13v31 h4x0rz.

justaute
12-15-2014, 01:24 PM
Check your flash setting/blocking. In Chrome (Mac), I have to allow Flash for the video to ok.

LA Ute
12-15-2014, 01:26 PM
Huh? You can watch the video without paying anything. At least I'm able to and I don't have an account with them.

Then again, I am a 1337 13v31 h4x0rz.

Now you're just being cruel.

Sullyute
12-15-2014, 01:43 PM

Even if you had to pay it would be worth it. The kid is something to behold. Just like in Rudy, I cannot wait for the MUSS to chant "Lenihan, Lenihan, Lenihan!"

UTEopia
12-23-2014, 10:56 PM
Now that the season consists only of only two more opponents (Colorado and bowl victim to be named later), let's revisit the ugly state of in-state recruiting this year. As always, rankings are from 247.com, commentary is mine.

1. Osa Masina, Brighton, LB: offers from all of the Pac-12, Notre Dame, Michigan, Wisconsin, Oklahoma, Nebraska, BYU. He's been in-person for most of the big Utah wins this year. But, it still looks like he's going elsewhere. Visiting USC this weekend.
2. Porter Gustin, Salem Hills, LB: he has a bazillion offers, including everyone in the pac-12, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Florida State. He looks like a USC guy, but he's made some comments about Utah being "in the running" lately
3. Andre James, Herriman, OT: UCLA commit. Visiting Ohio State this weekend, Utah next.
4. Christian Folau, East, LB: Former Stanford commit, now down to Utah, Oklahoma State (what?), and Wisconsin. Wisky is the favorite.
6. Austin Kafentzis, Jordan, QB: Wisconsin commit.
7. Mufi Hunt, Brighton, DE: Top three is Utah, Cal, Wazzu. I like our chances with that bunch.
8. Branden Bowers, Corner Canyon, OT: Ohio State commit. Former Utah commit.
9. Jeremiah Ieremia, Hurricane, LB: BYU commit.
10. Gabe Reid, Timpview, DE: Offers from the Arizona schools, Stanford, UW, Utah, BYU. A DE from Timpview with the last name Reid? Sounds like a Cougar.
11. T.J. Fehoko, Cottonwood, DE: Colorado commit.
12. James Empey, American Fork, Guard: Offers from the Washington schools, Utah schools, Boise, and Oregon State. I've heard he's a Utah lean, but he's been quiet lately.
13. Kody Wilstead, Pine View, QB: BYU commit. A pro-style QB at BYU? This isn't the 1990s.
14. Bailey Kenter, Layton, Punter: Yes, a punter. He's a Boise State lean. Until Hackett wins the Ray Guy award, that is.
15. Devin Kaufusi, Timpview, DE: BYU commit.
16. Quinn Fabrizio, Alta, Safety: Utah commit. Finally!
17. Zayne Anderson, Stansbury, USU commit.
18. Houston Heimuli, Bountiful, FB : Stanford commit. I don't think Utah or BYU offered this guy. Weird signing.
19. Riley Burt, Box Elder, Athlete: BYU commit.
20. Chayden Johnston, Bingham, Kicker: Utah commit. Hopefully he's working hard on his teammate, Osa.

Overall, Utah is not raking in the in-state recruits. There are still some big names out there, but we're long shots for all of them. We really need some of the LB talent in this class.

Now I know that recruiting is more then the guys in the area but I find it a little ironic that some people are predicting the demise of Utah football because Sitake and Tuiaki are going to Oregon St. and also bemoaning the fact that the Utes are doing terribly in-state when the two coaches responsible for in-state recruiting are Sitake and Tuiaki.

I tend to believe that in the very short term the loss of these guys will hurt recruiting but that Kyle understands that unlike with other hires he will need to make good and quick decisions with the replacements in order to calm the nerves of both current players and recruits.

LA Ute
01-25-2015, 11:14 AM
Interesting article from the OC Register about Kevin Dixon, but the list of Orange County recruits and their commitments is interesting too.

http://epaper.ocregister.com/Olive/Tablet/OrangeCountyRegister/SharedArticle.aspx?href=Orange%2F2015%2F01%2F24&id=Ar05302

DrumNFeather
01-26-2015, 10:49 AM
Chris Barr decommits.

Applejack
01-26-2015, 11:03 AM
Chris Barr decommits.

Ouch. Most decommits are a blah, but that one hurts.

LA Ute
01-26-2015, 11:12 AM
Yes, it does hurt. I wonder what happened?

Reports of a falling sky should be hitting any second now.

UtahsMrSports
01-26-2015, 11:25 AM
Did he do what all the cool kids do and de-commit via twitter, thanking the fans for everything (exactly what did we do?), saying he wants what is best for he and his family (another cliche that cracks me up..........exactly how is a college choice, that is being paid for, better or worse than another for the family? traveling maybe? beyond that, you got me.)

I am also going to guess that a long list of people lined up to say "Ute nation is sorry to see you go, but we wish you nothing but the best!"

tooblue
01-26-2015, 11:26 AM

I wonder if there is a service like http://www.invisibleboyfriend.com for Kyle to use, except for recruits and assistant coaches. Something like: invisible5starrecruts.com, or invisibleoffensivecoordinators.com ... I think that would help make the fan base less antsy.

Applejack
01-26-2015, 11:40 AM
I wonder if there is a service like http://www.invisibleboyfriend.com for Kyle to use, except for recruits and assistant coaches. Something like: invisible5starrecruts.com, or invisibleoffensivecoordinators.com ... I think that would help make the fan base less antsy.

Hey, toolblue! Thanks for stopping in. This is top shelf stuff.

Applejack
01-26-2015, 11:41 AM
Togiai too? https://twitter.com/noahtogiai_04

UTEopia
01-26-2015, 11:44 AM

Kids change their minds all of the time. My daughter wanted to go to BYU-Hawaii out of high school. She got over there and decided after a week that it wasn't for her. She returned to SLC and went to the U. It worked out fine. I asked her what happened several times over the years and her response has always been the same "I hate all BYUs". No, not really. She said that once she got over there she felt like it was just too far away from home and wasn't ready for that.

I can understand a kid thinking he wants to get away from home but in the end deciding that Florida to Utah is just too far away from home.

I don't think the coaches did anything wrong or could have done anything different. I believe some kids just feel better being a little closer to home.

tooblue
01-26-2015, 11:44 AM
Hey, toolblue! Thanks for stopping in. This is top shelf stuff.

Don't you live in the northeast? Did you get snowed in? The storm of the century passed us by thank goodness.

Utah
01-26-2015, 12:02 PM
Is anyone else worried that the top 5 in state kids are leaving, our recruiting class is closer to Colorado's than ASU, Arizona, UCLA, and USC?

Love Whitt. He is an amazing coach. One of the best X and O's guys out there.

But his recruiting is TERRIBLE. This isn't good. Whitt's a good enough coach to get us to bowl games every year. But unless our recruiting gets a lot better really quick, we will be stuck between 7-9 wins a year.

Far from terrible, but not great either.

LA Ute
01-26-2015, 12:20 PM

I am far from a recruiting maven, but it does seem to me that Kyle is pretty ingenious at cobbling together recruiting classes. His use of JC kids seems pretty effective. Booker is an example, and John White IV before him. Kaelin Clay, Tevin Carter, Tim Patrick are others. Andy Phillips and Tom Hackett are other under-the-radar gets. The coaches seem to have been moving very quickly. We lose Cedric Poutasi with no new OTs coming in. Somehow they came up with Capra (a Cal flip) and Dixon Jr. Both are PAC-12 OT size, over 6'5'' and reportedly athletic. Those who follow recruiting closely can probably give other examples. Maybe KW really was working on stuff like this back when we were all freaking out over his delay in to coming out with a statement.

UTEopia
01-26-2015, 12:51 PM
Is anyone else worried that the top 5 in state kids are leaving, our recruiting class is closer to Colorado's than ASU, Arizona, UCLA, and USC?

Love Whitt. He is an amazing coach. One of the best X and O's guys out there.

But his recruiting is TERRIBLE. This isn't good. Whitt's a good enough coach to get us to bowl games every year. But unless our recruiting gets a lot better really quick, we will be stuck between 7-9 wins a year.

Far from terrible, but not great either.

I think it is a mistake to look at rankings alone. They are misleading.
OSU 82/2.38
CU 62/2.72
Utah 39/2.9
Arizona 37/ 2.84
Cal 32/ 3.05
Stanford 31/3.19
WSU 26/2.92
Wash 24/3.04
ASU 24/3.22
UCLA 19/3.59
Oregon 15/3.35
USC 2/3.85

Some others of interest:

BYU 71/2.47
TCU 27/2.96
Wisconsin 22/2.88

To me, our 2.9 puts us in the same group as Cal, Wash., WSU and UA. Stanford and ASU are a step ahead and USC, Oregon and UCLA are a couple more steps ahead.

Obviously, I would rather have USC's class but we don't and never will. The reality is that we will be between 6 and 9 wins a year with a few years now and then when we are young and worse and a few years when we are seasoned and better. The reality is that other than USC and Oregon, that is the same boat that everyone else is in and has been in for the past 25 years.

sancho
01-26-2015, 01:01 PM
I think it is a mistake to look at rankings alone. They are misleading.

To me, our 2.9 puts us in the same group as Cal, Wash., WSU and UA. Stanford and ASU are a step ahead and USC, Oregon and UCLA are a couple more steps ahead.

I'm with you. Look at the stars, not the team rankings.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-26-2015, 01:03 PM

Sure is a lot of beaver on that page. Which isn't all that uncommon on Twitter, but still...

Utah
01-26-2015, 01:17 PM
It's good to hear. And, to be fair to Whitt, this last year was the first year he had a "PAC-12" team depth wise.

It's exciting to see where we go from here. 2015 should be a fantastic year.

It's too bad we couldn't land more in state kids. We have a great state talent wise, if we could keep 3 of the top 5 every year...watch out.

LA Ute
01-26-2015, 02:10 PM

If that's his way of announcing his decision then he may be a candidate for the "turd" category that Larry has made famous.

Diehard Ute
01-26-2015, 03:40 PM
Barr committed to Southern Florida. Tells me a couple things.

1 he didn't want to be far from home

2 we may have backed off

LA Ute
01-26-2015, 04:02 PM
Barr committee to Southern Florida. Tells me a couple things.

2 we may have backed off

Well, he is 5'8" tall.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-26-2015, 06:00 PM
Barr committed to Southern Florida. Tells me a couple things.

2 we may have backed off

If we did back off, I can only imagine that it was because of him expressing #1. We're short on receivers and the kid is talented, so I doubt we wanted to let him go if he was still willing to give the Utes a shot.

sancho
01-26-2015, 08:58 PM
Another offensive lineman - James Empey.

James Empey ‏@JEmpey66 (https://twitter.com/JEmpey66) 5m (https://twitter.com/JEmpey66/status/559921798389567488)5 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/JEmpey66/status/559921798389567488)
Committed to the University of Utah! I want to thank all the programs and coaches for recruiting me! #GoUtes (https://twitter.com/hashtag/GoUtes?src=hash)!

hostile
01-26-2015, 09:04 PM
Another offensive lineman - James Empey.

Nice.

UtahsMrSports
01-26-2015, 10:49 PM
A good solid offensive line can mask a lot of deficiencies elsewhere (to an extent). Welcome aboard, James!

I read that Porter Gustin will be taking an official visit up to campus on Wednesday. Gosh dang it, now im getting my hopes up.

Where are we on Christian Folau?

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-27-2015, 12:01 AM
Where are we on Christian Folau?

Apparently he'd isn't get an Oregon offer, so he's down to two. Utah and the Beavs. I like our chances.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-27-2015, 12:06 AM
I was thinking today as signing day draws closer. Okay, I was watching the Snoop Dog and Son show about his kid's senior year here in Vegas. I started wondering if Whittingham has changed his signing day strategy when it comes to straight mission kids after the whole Langi fiasco. Has Whitt decided that it's better to take the scholarship hit up front or continue to risk losing kids without penalty to other programs upon their return?

UBlender
01-27-2015, 07:53 AM
I was thinking today as signing day draws closer. Okay, I was watching the Snoop Dog and Son show about his kid's senior year here in Vegas. I started wondering if Whittingham has changed his signing day strategy when it comes to straight mission kids after the whole Langi fiasco. Has Whitt decided that it's better to take the scholarship hit up front or continue to risk losing kids without penalty to other programs upon their return?

I think I would probably make that decision on a kid-by-kid basis. A guy like Empey could have gone a lot of places, so you may want to lock him up, same with guys like Christian Folau and Simi Moala, if they were to commit. On the other hand, there's a kid named Kautai from Texas that is going on a mission and has no other offers besides Utah--I think you'd roll the dice with a kid like that and not have him sign an LOI.

concerned
01-27-2015, 08:07 AM
My son told me that, as of last week, Folau really wanted to go to Oregon. My son said he would have gone to Utah if Sitake were still there. He said Folau was not going to go to Oregon State. Sounds like since then, his mission plans have screwed up his offer to Oregon. I hope that Sitake hasn't changed his mind about OSU. FWIW. BTW, my son hears this second hand from other poly players on the team; he is not close to Folau at all.

UtahsMrSports
01-27-2015, 08:36 AM
My son told me that, as of last week, Folau really wanted to go to Oregon. My son said he would have gone to Utah if Sitake were still there. He said Folau was not going to go to Oregon State. Sounds like since then, his mission plans have screwed up his offer to Oregon. I hope that Sitake hasn't changed his mind about OSU. FWIW. BTW, my son hears this second hand from other poly players on the team; he is not close to Folau at all.

Thanks for the info!

Do you think we have any shot?

UTEopia
01-27-2015, 09:03 AM

There are a couple of different things at play.

The rules have changed in the last couple of years so that a school can only have 25 LOI's in a year. Last year the Utes had all of the sign and sends sign LOI's. This only means that they are not recruitable by any other school for the following 12 months. This limit puts schools that recruit missionaries at real disadvantage. Say a kid signs an LOI in Feb 2015 and leaves on his mission in Oct. 2015. The school could tie him up by having him sign again again in Feb. 2016, but that would only tie him up until Feb. 2017 and the kid is not scheduled to return until Oct. 2017. I guess what I would consider doing if I were the U, is have a kid sign in Feb. 2015 and again in Feb. 2017. The Feb. 2017 LOI would tell them if they should really count on a guy returning. Of course, there will be some guys that they really hope return and others that they might want to move on down the road. It will be interesting to see if the Utes have any of the sign and sends from a year ago sign LOI's this year. Last year's sign and sends were Pita Tonga, Howard Pututau, Thor Katoa, Amone Finau and Kyle Christianson. It seems that Katoa did not go on a mission and there was some question on whether Christianson did.

In addition to the LOI limit, there is also a limit on the number of initial scholarships a team can actually provide in a given year. That limit is also 25 and an initial scholarship is not counted until a player actually attends school and receives financial aid.

The Utes already have a number of enrolled kids who count for the 25 initials for 2015: Kylie Fitts, Jameson Field, Tim Patrick and Wallace Gonzalez, guys who joined the Utes last August and were immediately given scholarships. They also have mid-year enrollees Ahmad Christian, Sunia Tauteoli, Vaha Vaenuku, Austin Lee and Jake Jackson. This means that they can only have another 16 or so. If Covey commits, my guess is that he will not sign and LOI and will show up next August and immediately get a scholarship. I will bet that they also do this with the Barton kid.

The final number to be aware of is the 85 scholarship limit. Counting the 9 guys already initialed in the 2015 class, my unofficial count of scholarships is at 70. That would give us only 15 more unless players transfer out. I think we can guess on 2-3 players transferring at the end of spring ball. My most likely candidates are: Friel and D Nielson (seniors to be that I don't see playing much and will have graduated), D Young who seems too small and to be buried on the depth chart at RB, C Smith who seems to have been recruited over at DE and at least 1 QB.

Diehard Ute
01-27-2015, 03:03 PM
Covey just committed

hostile
01-27-2015, 03:14 PM
Covey just committed

To which school?

Diehard Ute
01-27-2015, 03:14 PM
To which school?

To Utah.

hostile
01-27-2015, 03:20 PM
To Utah.
:highfive:

LA Ute
01-27-2015, 03:59 PM
He's 5'9" and 170 lbs. So he'll be a WR or DB, I guess?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scorcho
01-27-2015, 04:07 PM
He's 5'9" and 170 lbs. So he'll be a WR or DB, I guess?

wes walker/Brandon weeks type receiver :rockon:

LA Ute
01-27-2015, 04:23 PM
What Light the U said:

"Timpview High School athlete Britain Covey has committed to the University of Utah. Covey is an explosive, extremely quick athlete that is very shifty and made tremendous plays for Timpview over the past few seasons. Covey is fairly small, but has elite quickness and shiftiness. It will be fun to watch how his game translates at the next level. Covey’s commitment represents another in state get for the Utes, after just landing talented OL James Empey. Both Empey and Covey are BYU legacy recruits, with family that played for BYU. They will both now suit up for Utah. I can imagine him as a pretty dynamic punt returner and will probably see time as a slot receiver as well. His film is pretty fun to watch if you haven’t already."

chrisrenrut
01-27-2015, 04:24 PM
wes walker/Brandon weeks Jereme Brooks/Brent Casteel type receiver :rockon:

:rockon:

Scorcho
01-27-2015, 04:37 PM
:rockon:

he's a quicker, smaller version of Travis LaTendresse and he surely knows 7 effective ways of getting into the end zone

LA Ute
01-27-2015, 05:23 PM
COVEY IS A UTE (http://recruiting.scout.com/story/1506695-covey-is-a-ute)

"I'm so fired up. Everyone in my family is wearing red right now. We are all really excited. They are all in with Utah and couldn't be happier for me."

:jig:

SeattleUte
01-27-2015, 09:35 PM
COVEY IS A UTE (http://recruiting.scout.com/story/1506695-covey-is-a-ute)

:jig:

:confused: Is this mostly about upstaging BYU?

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/202775/britain-covey

Diehard Ute
01-27-2015, 09:39 PM

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/202775/britain-covey

I think he can be a good speedster in the slot as well as a good return guy.

He did account for 7,000+ yards and 100 touchdowns in HS

sancho
01-27-2015, 09:42 PM
I think he can be a good speedster in the slot as well as a good return guy.

He did account for 7,000+ yards and 100 touchdowns in HS

He's gonna be our version of Christian McCaffrey at Stanford. I hope.

LA Ute
01-27-2015, 11:07 PM

No, that part's just icing on the cake. He is a much sought-after recruit, "Mr. Football" in Utah. Brekott Chapman and Jordan Loveridge (I think) were both Mr. Basketball. It's good for our programs to get such guys.

justaute
01-28-2015, 12:15 AM
Regarding Covey, I'm just hopeful our OC/QB/O-line will know what to do with him -- or any other offensive weapon we may be able to secure/keep.

SeattleUte
01-28-2015, 01:15 AM
No, that part's just icing on the cake. He is a much sought-after recruit, "Mr. Football" in Utah. Brekott Chapman and Jordan Loveridge (I think) were both Mr. Basketball. It's good for our programs to get such guys.

Well, the national publications don't rate him anywhere near best in Utah. And his ESPN rating that I linked is about at WAC level.

SeattleUte
01-28-2015, 01:18 AM
Rivals has him as our only two star. I'm not being mean or negative, just wondering what's really going on.

LA Ute
01-28-2015, 06:41 AM
I have had the same questions. Maybe it's his size - 5'9", 170 lbs. for some reason our coaches recruited him hard.

sancho
01-28-2015, 07:05 AM
Rivals has him as our only two star. I'm not being mean or negative, just wondering what's really going on.

Scout says three stars.

Brian
01-28-2015, 08:03 AM
Is covey mission bound? Ditto for Empey?

concerned
01-28-2015, 08:08 AM
Is covey mission bound? Ditto for Empey?

Empey is leaving directly out of hs. Covey to play a year and then go.

Applejack
01-28-2015, 09:44 AM
Covey is a great athlete. He is also 5'7 140 or something. He's not going to change any program. He can, however, be an effective piece on offense (sorry, la, he's never going to play defense) IF we can get someone who can make use of his uniqueness.

justaute
01-28-2015, 09:58 AM
Yah...if Covey has the potential of Beasley(Dallas Cowboys) -- not that I'm a Cowboys/NFL fan -- I think that'd be terrific. Again, of course, Utah has to have the right scheme/personnel/etc.

Covey is a great athlete. He is also 5'7 140 or something. He's not going to change any program. He can, however, be an effective piece on offense (sorry, la, he's never going to play defense) IF we can get someone who can make use of his uniqueness.

LA Ute
01-28-2015, 10:35 AM

Did I say he'd play defense? If so I take it back. (But we do seem to have our share of midget corners.) He'd be an interesting slot receiver who can also throw the ball well. Just think of the trick plays!

Applejack
01-28-2015, 11:45 AM
Can I also say I'm relieved that Osa is going to usc? Of course he should have stayed home, but I'd rather have him on the bench in la than starting for asu for four years.

sancho
01-28-2015, 12:07 PM
Can I also say I'm relieved that Osa is going to usc? Of course he should have stayed home, but I'd rather have him on the bench in la than starting for asu for four years.

Yeah, if I have to pick a spot for great Utah recruits to go when they abandon their brothers, I pick USC. They already have a billion 4 and 5 star athletes there. What's one more? None of our recruits can have a transformative effect on USC because USC is already a superpower.

Applejack
01-28-2015, 12:22 PM
Yeah, if I have to pick a spot for great Utah recruits to go when they abandon their brothers, I pick USC. They already have a billion 4 and 5 star athletes there. What's one more? None of our recruits can have a transformative effect on USC because USC is already a superpower.

Plus, we can always hope he gets injured in fall practice gets behind and starts thinking of tranferring home before the semester is over.

sancho
01-28-2015, 12:27 PM
Plus, we can always hope he gets injured in fall practice gets behind and starts thinking of tranferring home before the semester is over.

I always hope our enemies get injured. They say this makes me classless, but it's not like I want them to die! Just a little sprained ankle.

Utah
01-28-2015, 02:47 PM

Isn't this BYU's strategy? Recruit injured/buried on the depth chart/mission kids? That plus a weak schedule is what that program is built on.

Scorcho
01-28-2015, 02:59 PM

sadly, I've heard that ASU is loaded at LB with underclassmen.

sancho
01-28-2015, 04:11 PM
sadly, I've heard that ASU is loaded at LB with underclassmen.

I can't wait to see Devontae Booker bulldoze every one of them.

LA Ute
01-28-2015, 04:52 PM
I agree that we shouldn't get too excited about Covey but his highlight reel is fun to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5r9W3NCCbs

DrumNFeather
01-28-2015, 05:45 PM
I agree that we shouldn't get too excited about Covey but his highlight reel is fun to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5r9W3NCCbs
Did I see him do the superman celebration? Great, file this kid under "character issues." :)

U-Ute
01-29-2015, 12:28 PM

Yeah. It'll be interesting to see how he does when he isn't the fastest guy on the field.

Diehard Ute
01-31-2015, 05:18 PM
No huge surprise, Folau is going to Oregon State.

sancho
01-31-2015, 05:26 PM

This is the first one that hurts. Can't trust a Leopard.

Diehard Ute
01-31-2015, 05:31 PM
This is the first one that hurts. Can't trust a Leopard.

Shouldn't. He's an Andersen follow, he was all about Wisconsin until GA left and immediate removed them from his list and added Oregon State.

I honestly don't think he really had much intention of going anywhere but where GA was coaching.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-31-2015, 05:44 PM
@trevorphibbs: Just spoke with Christian Folau on his commitment to Oregon State: "The coaching staff was a huge factor." #TribPreps

Only, maybe?

Applejack
01-31-2015, 09:07 PM
Only, maybe?

Well, screw Oregon state. We need to beat them down by 40 next year and make sure that these Utah recruits families don't get tickets. You want to watch your boy play, drive to Corvallis.

DrumNFeather
01-31-2015, 10:16 PM
Well, screw Oregon state. We need to beat them down by 40 next year and make sure that these Utah recruits families don't get tickets. You want to watch your boy play, drive to Corvallis.
That's the spirit!

Utah
01-31-2015, 10:54 PM

You mean BYU after he comes home. He seems like the kind of kid to realize BYU is the only way to stay a chosen one.

That and most likely GA isn't the HC by then either.

I really think both OSU fans and GA are going to be shocked at how hard it is to win in the new PAC-12. Colorado is the only "easy" game. OSU might be the next "easiest".

sancho
02-01-2015, 02:01 PM
You mean BYU after he comes home. He seems like the kind of kid to realize BYU is the only way to stay a chosen one.

That and most likely GA isn't the HC by then either.

I really think both OSU fans and GA are going to be shocked at how hard it is to win in the new PAC-12. Colorado is the only "easy" game. OSU might be the next "easiest".

He might be a good BYU target. He certainly has no idea what he wants or what to look for.

I think (and hope) GA will struggle too, but he would have to go 2-10 each year to get fired after two seasons. He'll be there at least 3 years.

Utah
02-01-2015, 02:40 PM
He might be a good BYU target. He certainly has no idea what he wants or what to look for.

I think (and hope) GA will struggle too, but he would have to go 2-10 each year to get fired after two seasons. He'll be there at least 3 years.

I'm very interested to see what happens with GA. He just lost Mannion, and that was off a 5 win team. You look at their schedule and you'd say they have three wins next year. GA is a great coach, so I put them at 4-5. Their recruiting class is terrible = their future isn't bright.

A lot of people here in Oregon-land were happy to see Reilly leave because they feel like they should be competing with Oregon and were sick of losing 4+ games every year.

That's not a good spot to be walking into if you are GA.

I wonder how fans react to GA after they only get 3-5 wins and next year's recruiting class is worse than their 80-ish ranked class this year.

I've already heard people in influential spots complain about how all of GA's coaches are Mormon and the contracts they are getting. OSU can't afford to make mistakes here.

This just really seems a no win situation for GA. He wants back to Utah. I think he wants to stay afloat in Oregon for a year or two then hopes Whitt leaves/gets promoted elsewhere so he can come back to Utah and leave KS as HC at OSU.

He won't get fired, as OSU can't afford to fire him.

I don't think they do well enough to get KS a HC job.

What happens if GA comes back to Utah after a couple years, and struggles at OSU, and doesn't bring KS back? Does KS end up a coordinator at BYU?

Crazy. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

I'd love to have GA back at Utah if Whitt ever left.

Applejack
02-01-2015, 02:49 PM
I'm very interested to see what happens with GA. He just lost Mannion, and that was off a 5 win team. You look at their schedule and you'd say they have three wins next year. GA is a great coach, so I put them at 4-5. Their recruiting class is terrible = their future isn't bright.

A lot of people here in Oregon-land were happy to see Reilly leave because they feel like they should be competing with Oregon and were sick of losing 4+ games every year.

That's not a good spot to be walking into if you are GA.

I wonder how fans react to GA after they only get 3-5 wins and next year's recruiting class is worse than their 80-ish ranked class this year.

I've already heard people in influential spots complain about how all of GA's coaches are Mormon and the contracts they are getting. OSU can't afford to make mistakes here.

This just really seems a no win situation for GA. He wants back to Utah. I think he wants to stay afloat in Oregon for a year or two then hopes Whitt leaves/gets promoted elsewhere so he can come back to Utah and leave KS as HC at OSU.

He won't get fired, as OSU can't afford to fire him.

I don't think they do well enough to get KS a HC job.

What happens if GA comes back to Utah after a couple years, and struggles at OSU, and doesn't bring KS back? Does KS end up a coordinator at BYU?

Crazy. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

I'd love to have GA back at Utah if Whitt ever left.

I think right now Sitake has to be the front-runner to replace Bronco, whenever that tragic day arrives.

sancho
02-01-2015, 02:58 PM
I think right now Sitake has to be the front-runner to replace Bronco, whenever that tragic day arrives.

Probably true. Sitake limited himself with this move (and HC options are already rather limited for DCs).

concerned
02-01-2015, 03:39 PM
Anae will replace Bronco

Dwight Schr-Ute
02-02-2015, 12:34 AM
The Stanford Rivals guy posted on Twitter that Gabe Reid is set to announce tomorrow night. 7 p.m. my time. Surprise!

Applejack
02-02-2015, 08:17 AM
The Stanford Rivals guy posted on Twitter that Gabe Reid is set to announce tomorrow night. 7 p.m. my time. Surprise!

Monday night? That's family night. Looks like it's byu

UtahsMrSports
02-02-2015, 10:20 AM
Does there exist a spot, or can someone briefly provide here, the main remaining targets and where we stand?

DrumNFeather
02-02-2015, 11:04 AM
Does there exist a spot, or can someone briefly provide here, the main remaining targets and where we stand?

Gabe Reid is set to announce his decision tonight, and it will be between Us, BYU, and Stanford, with most of the smart money being put right now on Stanford.

Porter Gustin is set to announce his decision tomorrow. Utah being chosen by Gustin would probably be a massive, massive surprise. Most people seem to think that it is down to USC and Ohio St.

There are a few other's I believe we are in the mix with, but those are the two that have announced when they will officially announce.

Applejack
02-02-2015, 11:21 AM

Let's crowd source this. From the thread so far:

- Gabe Reid (Mon night): Stanford (favorite), Utah, BYU
- Porter Gustin: USC, Ohio State
- George Wilson: Utah (commit), but Boise is pushing
- Jaylinn Hawkins: Arizona St (favorite), Utah, Uw, Cal

Who else?

UtahsMrSports
02-02-2015, 11:37 AM
What about the kid with the unique name who was allegedly down to us and notre dame?

UBlender
02-02-2015, 11:37 AM
Let's crowd source this. From the thread so far:

- Gabe Reid (Mon night): Stanford (favorite), Utah, BYU

Who else?

Noah Togiai: Utah or OSU (turning his back on Larry and staff after how long they've stuck with him would be, uh, not a nice move)
Darrin Paulo: Utah or Nebraska (visited Nebraska this weekend, probably head there but it's close)
JayJay Wilson: Very likely going to either USC or ASU but Utah is in it
Simi Moala: Utah or OSU (another sign and send)
There's also a JC safety named Simmons who may or may not be sort of committed but it sounds like he has academic issues and may be a 2016 guy instead of 2015.

I think it would be a great class if Utah could hang onto George Wilson, Noah Togiai, pry Jaylinn Hawkins and land one of Reid, Paulo and Moala.

Applejack
02-02-2015, 11:38 AM
What about the kid with the unique name who was allegedly down to us and notre dame?

ACcording to Sancho, he's a golden domer.

UBlender
02-02-2015, 11:38 AM

Don't get your hopes up.

Applejack
02-02-2015, 11:39 AM
Gabe Reid (Mon night): Stanford (favorite), Utah, BYU
Noah Togiai: Utah or OSU (turning his back on Larry and staff after how long they've stuck with him would be, uh, not a nice move)
Darrin Paulo: Utah or Nebraska (visited Nebraska this weekend, probably head there but it's close)
JayJay Wilson: Very likely going to either USC or ASU but Utah is in it
Simi Moala: Utah or OSU (another sign and send)

Here's our update

UtahsMrSports
02-02-2015, 12:00 PM
Here's our update

Sweet!

Thanks one and all.

Scorcho
02-02-2015, 01:26 PM
twitter says Thor has decommitted and looks to be leaning towards the Beavers. I hate following recruiting even loosely

Utah
02-02-2015, 01:40 PM
twitter says Thor has decommitted and looks to be leaning towards the Beavers. I hate following recruiting even loosely

It sounds like Thor came home early and we didn't have a scholarship open for him.

It's too bad but probably not a big deal in the long run.

Diehard Ute
02-02-2015, 07:36 PM
Utes pick up Darrin Paulo 6'5" 344 pound OL, had offers from Nebraska, Wisconsin and most P12 schools, with interest from Oregon (or an offer depending on which recruiting site you believe)

https://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Darrin-Paulo-155217

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/191368/darrin-paulo

jrj84105
02-02-2015, 07:45 PM
Utes pick up Darrin Paulo 6'5" 344 pound OL, had offers from Nebraska, Wisconsin and most P12 schools, with interest from Oregon (or an offer depending on which recruiting site you believe)

https://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Darrin-Paulo-155217

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/191368/darrin-paulo
Very happy about this one.

LA Ute
02-02-2015, 07:46 PM
I think Utah wanted Paulo a lot. That's what I gathered from the Rivals folks, anyway.

DrumNFeather
02-03-2015, 07:32 AM

On Paper, we've definitely improved our OL in recruiting this year. If DC brought nothing else to Utah (evidence suggests so), he brought us Jim Harding, and we should all be grateful for that!

UtahsMrSports
02-03-2015, 07:40 AM
I dont see that anyone else mentioned it, but Gabe Reid chose Stanford to the surprise of no one.

Anyway, Porter Gustin will announce his final decision at 11 am Mountain time. I want him to pick Utah for the following reasons:

-terrific player, not sure we have ever landed someone rated as highly as him.
-stick it to Urban and Sark
-finally, and absolutely my number one reason: I want to be the "neener-neener" guy to AppleJack.

sancho
02-03-2015, 08:20 AM
I dont see that anyone else mentioned it, but Gabe Reid chose Stanford to the surprise of no one.

Good for him. I heard their communications major is way better then everyone else's.

Applejack
02-03-2015, 09:09 AM

Anyway, Porter Gustin will announce his final decision at 11 am Mountain time. I want him to pick Utah for the following reasons:

-terrific player, not sure we have ever landed someone rated as highly as him.
-stick it to Urban and Sark
-finally, and absolutely my number one reason: I want to be the "neener-neener" guy to AppleJack.

If we're shooting for neener-neeners, I'm in the driver's seat. But I would definitely tune into that press conference if I were you!

Applejack
02-03-2015, 09:11 AM
On Paper, we've definitely improved our OL in recruiting this year. If DC brought nothing else to Utah (evidence suggests so), he brought us Jim Harding, and we should all be grateful for that!

Agreed. This class right now is kind of a bust, except for the O-line haul. A haul that has really only materialized over the past week or two.

The crazy thing for me about Utah recruiting is that we REALLY struggle to get linebackers. That's crazy! Utah churns out a ton of good linebackers; there are a lot of good mormon linebackers; we have linebackers in the NFL; yet we can't get our mitts on any of them. I will never understand this.

concerned
02-03-2015, 09:12 AM
I cant imagine that Porter Gustin would announce at a school assembly in southern Utah County that he is going to the U. Most students would boo, probably.

DrumNFeather
02-03-2015, 09:20 AM
Agreed. This class right now is kind of a bust, except for the O-line haul. A haul that has really only materialized over the past week or two.

The crazy thing for me about Utah recruiting is that we REALLY struggle to get linebackers. That's crazy! Utah churns out a ton of good linebackers; there are a lot of good mormon linebackers; we have linebackers in the NFL; yet we can't get our mitts on any of them. I will never understand this.

Well, we've been snake bit at that position a little as well...I mean, Rashaun Hooker was as big a 4 star get as we've had, and he had to retire due to concussions. Feheko never really panned out, and was also supposedly a huge get at LB...I'm sure there are others.

On the flip side, Tevin Carter was on his way to being the next urban legend that never made it on the field, and he (when healthy) was an absolute stud for us.

I guess the point here is we just need to see how this all plays out. I have visions of fast crossing routes with Tarzan and Covey. Who knows, maybe A-Rod's the guy that gets us there.

Applejack
02-03-2015, 09:22 AM
Well, we've been snake bit at that position a little as well...I mean, Rashaun Hooker was as big a 4 star get as we've had, and he had to retire due to concussions. Feheko never really panned out, and was also supposedly a huge get at LB...I'm sure there are others.

On the flip side, Tevin Carter was on his way to being the next urban legend that never made it on the field, and he (when healthy) was an absolute stud for us.

I guess the point here is we just need to see how this all plays out. I have visions of fast crossing routes with Tarzan and Covey. Who knows, maybe A-Rod's the guy that gets us there.

Carter is a safety and people knew Fehoko was overrated when he signed (it came down to us and Utah State). I'll give you Hooker, though; that one hurt.

DrumNFeather
02-03-2015, 09:24 AM
Carter is a safety and people knew Fehoko was overrated when he signed (it came down to us and Utah State). I'll give you Hooker, though; that one hurt.

I'd have to go back in the archives and look at all the hits and misses, but you get the point. How about Weddle? He was a 2 star no? Inexact science my friend!

Also, I'm calling my shot...Gustin will go to the U...or someplace else. You heard it here first!

Applejack
02-03-2015, 09:30 AM
I'd have to go back in the archives and look at all the hits and misses, but you get the point. How about Weddle? He was a 2 star no? Inexact science my friend!

Also, I'm calling my shot...Gustin will go to the U...or someplace else. You heard it here first!

Yeah, I'm not blaming the coaches here. It just seems like there are a lot of highly rated linebackers with some Utah connection (local kid, mormon, polynesian, etc) and we rarely get them. Contrast that with defensive line where we get most of the local talent or defensive backs where we have little natural recruiting pool yet do pretty well. This year Utah pumped out a ton of legit D1 linebackers (Gustin, Masina, Folau, Ieremia) and our best signee is Cody Barton. It's just a mystery to me.

DrumNFeather
02-03-2015, 09:32 AM
Yeah, I'm not blaming the coaches here. It just seems like there are a lot of highly rated linebackers with some Utah connection (local kid, mormon, polynesian, etc) and we rarely get them. Contrast that with defensive line where we get most of the local talent or defensive backs where we have little natural recruiting pool yet do pretty well. It's just a mystery to me.

I think that one thing we've struggled with is exactly how to play our hand in recruiting as a member of the Pac 12, but hopefully a guy like Erickson will help us focus that a little, and we start getting some of those guys.

U-Ute
02-03-2015, 09:40 AM
Yeah, I'm not blaming the coaches here. It just seems like there are a lot of highly rated linebackers with some Utah connection (local kid, mormon, polynesian, etc) and we rarely get them. Contrast that with defensive line where we get most of the local talent or defensive backs where we have little natural recruiting pool yet do pretty well. This year Utah pumped out a ton of legit D1 linebackers (Gustin, Masina, Folau, Ieremia) and our best signee is Cody Barton. It's just a mystery to me.

It just seems to me that with the 4-3, this defense highlights the defensive line, so we haven't had to heavily recruit linebackers. We got by with guys like Hackenbruck, Wright, and Whittingham who could play behind an amazing D-line which absorbed blockers, and figure out which hole the RB was going through, plug it up, and occasionally cover the slow, white slot receivers that were in the MWC. In the PAC-12, with all of these crazy NFL tight ends and slot receivers, that has changed. We now need athletic guys that can cover, and I think we're starting to see that with guys like Hooker, Paul, Hale, and Norris.

UtahsMrSports
02-03-2015, 09:44 AM
Lol, this kid is trolling. on the official "announcement" for the announcement cermemony, they list ASU, OSU, USC, Utah, and..........Dixie State.

I have resigned myself to the fact that he will choose Ohio State. Or USC. So I won't be disappointed. And when I say that, what I really mean is I really want him to pick Utah, I dont care what anybody else says, and my heart will be broken should he choose to go elsewhere.

Just please, for the sake of my fragile feelings, please kid, dont do the fake out hat routine. Just go right to your choice.

concerned
02-03-2015, 09:49 AM
For what it is worth:

Chris Dougherty @draftinsider (https://twitter.com/draftinsider)
Follow (https://twitter.com/draftinsider)
5-Star LB Porter Gustin (Utah) who's considering #UTAH (https://twitter.com/hashtag/UTAH?src=hash) #USC (https://twitter.com/hashtag/USC?src=hash) #ASU (https://twitter.com/hashtag/ASU?src=hash) #Buckeyes (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Buckeyes?src=hash), reportedly notified Trojan coaches that he's committing to #OSU (https://twitter.com/hashtag/OSU?src=hash)
9:26 AM - 3 Feb 2015 (https://twitter.com/draftinsider/status/562648391784869888)

UtahsMrSports
02-03-2015, 09:54 AM
For what it is worth:

5-Star LB Porter Gustin (Utah) who's considering #UTAH (https://twitter.com/hashtag/UTAH?src=hash) #USC (https://twitter.com/hashtag/USC?src=hash) #ASU (https://twitter.com/hashtag/ASU?src=hash) #Buckeyes (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Buckeyes?src=hash), reportedly notified Trojan coaches that he's committing to #OSU (https://twitter.com/hashtag/OSU?src=hash)
9:26 AM - 3 Feb 2015 (https://twitter.com/draftinsider/status/562648391784869888)

ugh.................................

Applejack
02-03-2015, 09:56 AM
ugh.................................

This is the best outcome for us: Ohio State > USC >>>>> ASU

Utah
02-03-2015, 09:59 AM
I don't think Whitt values LBers as much. His defense is pretty simple, aka Seattle. Control the line of scrimmage, and put your CB's on islands.

Last year we ran a 4-2-5 most of the time. Whitt needs smart LB'ers who play their assignments. I don't think he thinks they are worth really going hard after.

He'd rather bring in 10 lineman a year and some solid LB'ers than 8 linemen and 1 really highly rated LB'er.

UtahsMrSports
02-03-2015, 10:04 AM
For what it is worth:

I dont want to get everyones hopes up, but this guy has all of 303 followers and lists himself as an nfl draft expert; not exactly a profile that screams "I LEGITIMATELY HAVE ACCESS TO USC COACHES!!!!!!!"

UtahsMrSports
02-03-2015, 10:13 AM
Doug Kimmel is reporting that Gustin has not notified anyone of his intentions.......

sancho
02-03-2015, 10:13 AM
I dont want to get everyones hopes up, but this guy has all of 303 followers and lists himself as an nfl draft expert; not exactly a profile that screams "I LEGITIMATELY HAVE ACCESS TO USC COACHES!!!!!!!"

It's over, man. It's always been over. It never even really started.

Folau and Masina are the fish that got away. Gustin never seriously considered staying home.

DrumNFeather
02-03-2015, 10:19 AM
Doug Kimmel is reporting that Gustin has not notified anyone of his intentions.......

The only thing I don't want to see is him do the ole switcharoo where he picks up the Utah hat first and then discards it for another. Bad form indeed!

sancho
02-03-2015, 10:25 AM
The only thing I don't want to see is him do the ole switcharoo where he picks up the Utah hat first and then discards it for another. Bad form indeed!

Booooooo! Booooooo!

UtahsMrSports
02-03-2015, 10:30 AM
It's over, man. It's always been over. It never even really started.

Folau and Masina are the fish that got away. Gustin never seriously considered staying home.

I know. Ive always known. But I just cant help it.

UtahsMrSports
02-03-2015, 10:31 AM

Hopefully that Eubank kid can let him know that curse that is sure to follow should he pull this maneuver. Eubank can tell him this from wherever he has washed out to.

DrumNFeather
02-03-2015, 10:32 AM
Matthew Piper just tweeted that Urban Meyer introduced himself to some other kid at the basketball game thinking it was Gustin...Kyle would never do that Porter! :D

Dwight Schr-Ute
02-03-2015, 10:43 AM
Matthew Piper just tweeted that Urban Meyer introduced himself to some other kid at the basketball game thinking it was Gustin...Kyle would never do that Porter! :D

Wow. Just how many kids were wearing red, white and blue overalls?

DrumNFeather
02-03-2015, 10:58 AM
Wow. Just how many kids were wearing red, white and blue overalls?

Well, he was 6'8....

DrumNFeather
02-03-2015, 11:13 AM
Looks like it is USC.

sancho
02-03-2015, 11:22 AM
Looks like it is USC.

Coulda been worse.

LA Ute
02-03-2015, 11:27 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlM3CKXJs5k

UtahsMrSports
02-03-2015, 11:32 AM
Well dang.

DrumNFeather
02-03-2015, 11:34 AM
So that leaves us in play really for two guys:

Hawkins & Togiai

Applejack
02-03-2015, 11:39 AM
On the bright side, now the odds that either Masina or Gustin gets fed up with riding the pine in Southern California just went up! Keep in touch with Justin Ena, boys.

UtahsMrSports
02-03-2015, 11:48 AM
Well, i guess it should be a fairly quiet and uneventful signing day.

I am hoping that Hawkins and (especially) Togiai go our way. And of course, hoping that we don't have any signing day flips (at least away from us!)

NorthwestUteFan
02-03-2015, 11:57 AM
On the bright side, now the odds that either Masina or Gustin gets fed up with riding the pine in Southern California just went up! Keep in touch with Justin Ena, boys.

Luckily that 2 year waiting period lines up nicely with a mission...

UtahsMrSports
02-03-2015, 12:07 PM
I was talking to a coworker about this, I am genuinely curious.........

I wonder if there is a correlation (likely small) between grandiose commitment announcements and being a bust at the college level.

I am sure that my experience is anecdotal, but these are the "commitment ceremonies" that i remember......

-Simi fili: Picked oregon, had legal problems, bust.
-Harvey Langi:Jury still out, looks like a solid player.
-Iggy's 3: 2 absolute busts, one good player.
-Michael Eubank: Bust

Im sure there are others. But I am just genuinely curious if there is any connection there.

Utah
02-03-2015, 12:23 PM

I wonder if there is a correlation (likely small) between grandiose commitment announcements and being a bust at the college level.

I am sure that my experience is anecdotal, but these are the "commitment ceremonies" that i remember......

Im sure there are others. But I am just genuinely curious if there is any connection there.

Is it the mentality of the kid? Big announcements come from more coddled kids, they've had less hurdles in life, etc. so when they get to college and they aren't as good as the two star SR who is 75 lbs heavier, they don't know how to fight through that adversity?

I dunno.

Applejack
02-03-2015, 12:26 PM

Yes, there is a strong correlation between big announcement ceremonies and being an excellent college player. We want more announcement kids, not fewer.

UtahsMrSports
02-03-2015, 12:37 PM
Is it the mentality of the kid? Big announcements come from more coddled kids, they've had less hurdles in life, etc. so when they get to college and they aren't as good as the two star SR who is 75 lbs heavier, they don't know how to fight through that adversity?

I dunno.

Im sure whatever correlation there is is small, but I think if you were to look at 4 and 5 star kids who have grandiose ceremonies and kids who just say "thanks one and all, I cant wait to suit up for......" I think the grandiose ceremony kids would have a higher probability of going bust, for the reasons you listed. Just a conjecture, but I would be curious to study it out.

UtahsMrSports
02-03-2015, 12:38 PM
Yes, there is a strong correlation between big announcement ceremonies and being an excellent college player. We want more announcement kids, not fewer.

You caught the spirit of what I was saying exactly, Orangejohn.

concerned
02-03-2015, 12:46 PM
So that leaves us in play really for two guys:

Hawkins & Togiai

What happened to Wilson?

Utah
02-03-2015, 01:00 PM
What happened to Wilson?

He's been named our starting QB headed into spring ball, but KT will have a shot to take it away from him.

😄

Diehard Ute
02-03-2015, 01:01 PM
What happened to Wilson?

Will announce tomorrow at 1220 mountain time. Us, Boise and Wazzu.

concerned
02-03-2015, 01:02 PM
He's been named our starting QB headed into spring ball, but KT will have a shot to take it away from him.

I assume you are making a funny, but I meant George Wilson the WR who is getting the rush from Boise State.

concerned
02-03-2015, 01:07 PM
Will announce tomorrow at 1220 mountain time. Us, Boise and Wazzu.

gracias

Dwight Schr-Ute
02-03-2015, 03:44 PM
Im sure whatever correlation there is is small, but I think if you were to look at 4 and 5 star kids who have grandiose ceremonies and kids who just say "thanks one and all, I cant wait to suit up for......" I think the grandiose ceremony kids would have a higher probability of going bust, for the reasons you listed. Just a conjecture, but I would be curious to study it out.

I think all 4 and 5 star kids have "grandiose" ceremonies when they announce. Unfortunately, we're only on that table a small fraction of the time, so these are the only ones that we remember. The reality is, few high rated kids from Utah and decide to leave the state make much of a splash once they get there, regardless of what sort of selection ceremony was organized for them.

concerned
02-03-2015, 03:47 PM
I think all 4 and 5 star kids have "grandiose" ceremonies when they announce. Unfortunately, we're only on that table a small fraction of the time, so these are the only ones that we remember. The reality is, few high rated kids from Utah and decide to leave the state make much of a splash once they get there, regardless of what sort of selection ceremony was organized for them.

If you had to pick the most successful, I suppose it would be Ngata. Maybe Xavier X next. None of the Utah players so far have had much of an impact at USC. Martinez lost his starting spot his senior year; Havili filled a role, but was fungible.

LA Ute
02-03-2015, 03:50 PM

Utah
02-03-2015, 06:38 PM
There has been a lot of talk about the kids we've missed out on.

Let's not forget, this is a very, very solid class this year. Very solid. Might be our best PAC-12 class yet.

We are trending in the right direction.

DrumNFeather
02-03-2015, 06:58 PM
Togiai to announce after his game tonight. Larry is in attendance.

sancho
02-03-2015, 07:18 PM
Togiai to announce after his game tonight. Larry is in attendance.

If I'm Larry, I'm sitting front and center in the announcement ceremony. If a kid wants to bail on me after I've been with him for a year, I'm making him do it to my angry face.

DrumNFeather
02-03-2015, 07:19 PM
If I'm Larry, I'm sitting front and center in the announcement ceremony. If a kid wants to bail on me after I've been with him for a year, I'm making him do it to my angry face.

And holding a sign that says "Where's Wayne Tinkle?"

Utah
02-03-2015, 07:55 PM
p.s. Michigan only has about 5 players committed so far...

Diehard Ute
02-03-2015, 10:09 PM
Togiai to Oregon State. Not really surprised, his retweet of Katoa's tweets the last few days seemed telling. Especially the retweet of his decommitment.

LA Ute
02-03-2015, 10:15 PM
Togiai to Oregon State. Not really surprised, his retweet of Katoa's tweets the last few days seemed telling. Especially the retweet of his recommitment.

The kid revealed himself as the type LK doesn't want. Starts with "T," ends with "d."

sancho
02-03-2015, 10:23 PM
Togiai to Oregon State. Not really surprised, his retweet of Katoa's tweets the last few days seemed telling. Especially the retweet of his decommitment.

Really ticks me off. I hope he collides with Sitake in practice, resulting in 4 torn ACLs.

NorthwestUteFan
02-03-2015, 10:36 PM
The kid revealed himself as the type LK doesn't want. Starts with "T," ends with "d."

"Testicle-challenged"?

Diehard Ute
02-03-2015, 10:43 PM

After reading this, I'd say you are correct.

@trevorphibbs: Spoke to Togiai. Said he hasn't informed Utah of his decision. "I was planning on it, but my phone has been going off. I haven't had time."

Haven't had time? Good luck with him Gary

Diehard Ute
02-03-2015, 10:46 PM
The above post is especially telling as word on the internets is Utahs hoops coaches are the only reason he's eligible. Guided him down an academic path that saved him

LA Ute
02-03-2015, 10:46 PM
"Testicle-challenged"?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/turd

NorthwestUteFan
02-04-2015, 12:03 AM
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/turd

I like my definition better. The only reason he is even at a university instead of a JC is due to Larry's staff helping him with academic issues. He could at least nut up and have a heart to heart with LK before blowing him off like that.

Diehard Ute
02-04-2015, 12:11 AM
I like my definition better. The only reason he is even at a university instead of a JC is due to Larry's staff helping him with academic issues. He could at least nut up and have a heart to heart with LK before blowing him off like that.

And here's the latest tweet from same reporter

@trevorphibbs: Togiai's decision not to call Utah was a lack of judgment, which we have all made in youth. Harassing a teen on Twitter is in the same boat.

Don't disagree. Although it would seem tweeting that information out in the first place would also be a lack of judgement.

Utebiquitous
02-04-2015, 12:19 AM
Disappointing news. I'm actually a little angry the basketball coaches for not having a scholarship available. I know nothing of Togiai the football player. It sounds to me like that is all potential; but Togiai the basketball player could be a special Pac-12 player and a potential answer for the physical 2/3 the Utes really need.

That said, I thought Diehard's comment last week about the pounds Noah will certainly put on for football will change a potentially outstanding basketball player into a role player. The same would have happened at Utah.

Tough loss tonight but not signing him in the fall and keeping him focused on basketball started us down this odd path. Good luck to the young man.

Diehard Ute
02-04-2015, 12:35 AM
Disappointing news. I'm actually a little angry the basketball coaches for not having a scholarship available. I know nothing of Togiai the football player. It sounds to me like that is all potential; but Togiai the basketball player could be a special Pac-12 player and a potential answer for the physical 2/3 the Utes really need.

That said, I thought Diehard's comment last week about the pounds Noah will certainly put on for football will change a potentially outstanding basketball player into a role player. The same would have happened at Utah.

Tough loss tonight but not signing him in the fall and keeping him focused on basketball started us down this odd path. Good luck to the young man.

Wasn't the coaches fault from what I've pieced together.

Noah filed his paperwork late and was likely ineligible to sign during the early period. You're more connected than I but I've seen enough people who would know mention the Ute staff getting him academically back on track that I think his academic status was an issue.

I'm guessing by his junior year he's no longer playing basketball.

justaute
02-04-2015, 12:55 AM
Quickly browsed comments made by a few Utah fans in response to Togiai's tweet....wow. Irrespective of Togiai's communication, or lack of, with Utah coaching staff, the thought of "grown" men (I'm assuming they are men and grown--at least physically) bashing a 17-yo on twitter is unappetizing. Though, I suppose that wasn't unexpected.

Diehard Ute
02-04-2015, 01:11 AM
Quickly browsed comments made by a few Utah fans in response to Togiai's tweet....wow. Irrespective of Togiai's communication, or lack of, with Utah coaching staff, the thought of "grown" men (I'm assuming they are men and grown--at least physically) bashing a 17-yo on twitter is unappetizing. Though, I suppose that wasn't unexpected.

That's a big assumption, and it's pretty much across the board in sports these days.

A lot of the vocal folks on Twitter are in the same age group as the "kids" committing.

mUUser
02-04-2015, 06:48 AM
Given how these kids are scrutinized (e.g. Clay & Togiai), I'm grateful I made my youthful boneheaded mistakes in the non-internet age. I look at my kids today and think, "God help you if you publicly screw up."

Dwight Schr-Ute
02-04-2015, 06:54 AM
On to the good news. The first letters of the day has been sent. Both from the same Florida high school.

1. Tyson Cisrow, Safety.
2. Chris Hart, DE.

LA Ute
02-04-2015, 07:05 AM
I wish Togiai well. muuser is right, he's a kid. I'm guessing that LK sensed character/ maturity issues, hence his somewhat half-hearted approach to getting Noah signed. Not really ready to be a Ute, perhaps.

DrumNFeather
02-04-2015, 07:12 AM
On to the good news. The first letters of the day has been sent. Both from the same Florida high school.

1. Tyson Cisrow, Safety.
2. Chris Hart, DE.

I think these two signings in particular are huge...let's keep that Florida pipeline open.

UtahsMrSports
02-04-2015, 07:14 AM
Anyone here a fan of "Shark Tank"? Kevin Oleary is the "mean guy" on the show, and whenever someone tries to jerk him around, he always says "youre dead to me, I already forgot your name" as they are leaving. That is how I am starting to feel for these kids.

Togiai is a kid who is excited to be making his college choice. It's pretty clear that whoever it was who has been helping him through this process, be it his coaches, parents, ecclesiastical leaders, whoever, were not as experienced with this as maybe youd hope. Somebody should have told him to call Whitt and or the other coaches. But it didn't happen. I remain thoroughly unconvinced that someone can play two sports and do well at both. Losing him sucks though, particularly to Oregon State.

But, I have that off my chest now and I can say to him, "youre dead to me. I already forgot your name."

Reading our list, it looks like a "Utah class". We got some speed, a lot of bulk, and hopefully some hard, hungry workers. Go Utes!

And oh yes, lets hope for only good signing day surprises..............

remember Dj Law last year?

DrumNFeather
02-04-2015, 07:22 AM
Anyone here a fan of "Shark Tank"? Kevin Oleary is the "mean guy" on the show, and whenever someone tries to jerk him around, he always says "youre dead to me, I already forgot your name" as they are leaving. That is how I am starting to feel for these kids.

Togiai is a kid who is excited to be making his college choice. It's pretty clear that whoever it was who has been helping him through this process, be it his coaches, parents, ecclesiastical leaders, whoever, were not as experienced with this as maybe youd hope. Somebody should have told him to call Whitt and or the other coaches. But it didn't happen. I remain thoroughly unconvinced that someone can play two sports and do well at both. Losing him sucks though, particularly to Oregon State.

But, I have that off my chest now and I can say to him, "youre dead to me. I already forgot your name."

Reading our list, it looks like a "Utah class". We got some speed, a lot of bulk, and hopefully some hard, hungry workers. Go Utes!

And oh yes, lets hope for only good signing day surprises..............

remember Dj Law last year?

I was just thinking about what it must be like for the Alabama and USC types who legitimately have 5 or 6 big time players doing these hat ceremonies that could go one way or another. We're hanging off of every last word from George Wilson and Jaylinn Hawkins, I can't imagine these programs waiting on a ton of guys.

Applejack
02-04-2015, 07:36 AM

1. Tyson Cisrow, Safety.
2. Chris Hart, DE.

3. Nick Carman, ol from Tempe. First of a big o-line class.

Dwight Schr-Ute
02-04-2015, 07:59 AM

With Harding's talent recruiting big guys, this might be what the offense looks like a couple years from now.

http://youtu.be/MWGwA3Lu3vo

concerned
02-04-2015, 08:02 AM
on the radio, talking heads said Wilson is going to BSU and Hawkins to ASU, in all probability. Except for the o line, this appears to be a very mediocre class. Weak at skill positions. DJ and PK are having Gary Anderson on in a bit as they have become the new pr men for OSU. OSU really is going to be our rival in the Pac 12.

While I am in a pessimistic mood, I wonder what the Pease hire means--if it means KW is a short timer, and is going to look at every job next year too. Or does it just mean he didnt get others he asked first, as when he promoted BJ.

UtahsMrSports
02-04-2015, 08:11 AM
on the radio, talking heads said Wilson is going to BSU and Hawkins to ASU, in all probability. Except for the o line, this appears to be a very mediocre class. Weak at skill positions. DJ and PK are having Gary Anderson on in a bit as they have become the new pr men for OSU. OSU really is going to be our rival in the Pac 12.

While I am in a pessimistic mood, I wonder what the Pease hire means--if it means KW is a short timer, and is going to look at every job next year too. Or does it just mean he didnt get others he asked first, as when he promoted BJ.

Yeah, I think that once a "committed" player decided to do an announcement, hes probably going elsewhere. I dont think we are going to get anybody new today.

utefan
02-04-2015, 08:13 AM

We should never, ever, lose a recruit to Boise State. Somebody dropped the ball on that one if it turns out to be true.

UtahsMrSports
02-04-2015, 08:21 AM
We should never, ever, lose a recruit to Boise State. Somebody dropped the ball on that one if it turns out to be true.

I'd argue that these three things killed us during the stretch run:

1. Head coach who spent two weeks with his status up in the air.
2. No coordinators for more than a month.
3. After a big delay, there was no big name hire, it was just internal promotions.

3 would have been fine if not for 2.

DrumNFeather
02-04-2015, 08:22 AM
#4 Kyle Fulks

Interesting note from the tweeter...Masina's listing on the welcome page at USC lists him as a LB/TE.

DrumNFeather
02-04-2015, 08:22 AM

3. After a big delay, there was no big name hire, it was just internal promotions.

On the other hand, some of our biggest gets have come in the last 2 weeks.

mUUser
02-04-2015, 08:24 AM

That's what USC, Stanford & Oregon say about us. But, there's reasons, even if as red-tinted goggle fans we don't like it.

DrumNFeather
02-04-2015, 08:25 AM
#5 Johnny Capra - a nice flip in our favor this week.

DrumNFeather
02-04-2015, 08:26 AM
Caleb Repp will play DE...I hadn't heard that.

Dwight Schr-Ute
02-04-2015, 08:27 AM

4. Kyle Fulks, DB.
5. Johnny Capra, OT.

In.

EDIT: Refresh button before posting. Now in!

UtahsMrSports
02-04-2015, 08:29 AM
On the other hand, some of our biggest gets have come in the last 2 weeks.

Thats true. I just hate to see so many kids we had planned on flipping to other programs. It happens, i get it. Still frustrating.

utefan
02-04-2015, 08:31 AM
That's what USC, Stanford & Oregon say about us. But, there's reasons, even if as red-tinted goggle fans we don't like it.
They probably don't say that about us anymore. It was true when we were in the MWC though.

Oregon has no business being included with Stanford and USC. The only advantage they hold over us is they win more games. That is probably going to change this season.

Dwight Schr-Ute
02-04-2015, 08:34 AM
They probably don't say that about us anymore. It was true when we were in the MWC though.

Oregon has no business being included with Stanford and USC. The only advantage they hold over us is they win more games. That is probably going to change this season.

Here we go again...

Dwight Schr-Ute
02-04-2015, 08:36 AM
#5 Johnny Capra - a nice flip in our favor this week.

6. Caleb Repp, DE (First time I've even heard this kid's name.
7. Kevin Dixon, OT

UtahsMrSports
02-04-2015, 08:38 AM
Rivals currently has our class ranked 39, scout has it 50.

Dwight Schr-Ute
02-04-2015, 08:41 AM
6. Caleb Repp, DE (First time I've even heard this kid's name.
7. Kevin Dixon, OT

8. Alfred "Tarzan" Smith, WR

utefan
02-04-2015, 08:43 AM
Our class is actually looking pretty good. Lots of 3 star talent. Especially impressive, considering all the drama with the coaching staff.

sancho
02-04-2015, 08:44 AM

It makes about 1000 times more sense to lose a recruit to Boise than to lose one (or four) to Oregon State.

Boise has more football tradition and is a better program than OSU. Boise has a better coaching staff than OSU. Boise just won the Fiesta Bowl for the 3rd time. I'm not sure OSU has ever won a big bowl game. Boise is a nicer place than Corvallis, and they let you pump your own gas in Boise. Boise has better uniforms than OSU, and Nike spends a lot of time on Boise St.

The only advantage of OSU is that you get to play a much better schedule.

sancho
02-04-2015, 08:47 AM

I don't think these things hurt us much. We lost Masina and Gustin, but we were never landing those two. We lost four guys to Oregon State, and that had everything to do with the backstabbers GA and Sitake and nothing to do with our lack of coordinators. And we are losing a kid to Boise, which is just the kind of random flip that always happens.

I hate losing Noah to OSU. I really wanted the two sport thing here. And I really wanted an athletic, stud TE. And an extra body on the basketball team without costing a scholarship would be nice.

UtahsMrSports
02-04-2015, 08:49 AM
I don't think these things hurt us much. We lost Masina and Gustin, but we were never landing those two. We lost four guys to Oregon State, and that had everything to do with the backstabbers GA and Sitake and nothing to do with our lack of coordinators. And we are losing a kid to Boise, which is just the kind of random flip that always happens.

I hate losing Noah to OSU. I really wanted the two sport thing here. And I really wanted an athletic, stud TE. And an extra body on the basketball team without costing a scholarship would be nice.

I think it hurt more than the staff will let on, but yeah, I agree with your general sentiment and taking a second look, Im more impressed with our class than I had initially pictured.

utefan
02-04-2015, 08:50 AM
It makes about 1000 times more sense to lose a recruit to Boise than to lose one (or four) to Oregon State.

Boise has more football tradition and is a better program than OSU. Boise has a better coaching staff than OSU. Boise just won the Fiesta Bowl for the 3rd time. I'm not sure OSU has ever won a big bowl game. Boise is a nicer place than Corvallis, and they let you pump your own gas in Boise. Boise has better uniforms than OSU, and Nike spends a lot of time on Boise St.

The only advantage of OSU is that you get to play a much better schedule.
Well it goes without saying that we shouldn't be losing recruits to Oregon State either. Except they have good recruiters, with coaching ties to our program, so we can expect to lose a few recruits to them.

mUUser
02-04-2015, 08:56 AM
...Boise just won the Fiesta Bowl for the 3rd time. I'm not sure OSU has ever won a big bowl game...

I was there when OSU kicked the crap out of Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl. Seems like a dozen years ago or more though. Anyway, that was a great team, coached by Erickson. I think they finished 3rd in the final polls.

But on the whole, you're right.