PDA

View Full Version : Recruitment - an athlete's perspective

U-Ute
06-11-2014, 03:28 PM
Sometimes it is easy to forget that these are 18 year old kids making big decisions, and there are many people who want to take advantage of them.

Part 1 (http://www.athletesltd.com/thesource/mfennell1#.U5jJWSj7Hbg=)

After I received the letters, the recruiting process became very hectic and very confusing very quickly. I began to field phone calls, D-1 coaches visiting me on campus, and tons of letters. As an elite student-athlete at Poly high, there weren’t many weeks that I didn’t see or shake the hand of at least five Division 1 coaches. I know you’re probably thinking of school such as Sacramento State University and Cal Poly, but I am speaking of powerhouse programs such as Nebraska University and the University of Southern California. As a high school kid, the thought of having a coach that has won multiple national championships let me flabbergasted.

Part 2 (http://www.athletesltd.com/thesource/mfennell2#.U5hkpmTwJkg=)

After they won me, I arrived on campus in Moscow, ID and everything had changed. I was just another athlete who had to deal with many stereotypes and issues on and off campus. The hostesses? Gone. Players’ Lounge? Disappeared. Aside from that, I struggled with the politics of being an NCAA student-athlete for the next four years. (I look forward to talking more about this.) So food for thought, never make a decision based on emotion, make sure you do your research.

Damage U
06-14-2014, 11:43 AM
There has got to be more to this story. How do you go from being recruited by Texas, USC, Nebraska and Miami to signing with the "Mighty Vandals" of Idaho because they assigned you two hostesses? And when were the Idaho Vandals, "Mighty"?

But, yes there is a lot of head scratching with recruiting.

SoCalPat
06-17-2014, 05:58 PM
There has got to be more to this story. How do you go from being recruited by Texas, USC, Nebraska and Miami to signing with the "Mighty Vandals" of Idaho because they assigned you two hostesses? And when were the Idaho Vandals, "Mighty"?

But, yes there is a lot of head scratching with recruiting.

I saw this a lot when I covered high school sports for 15 years. Kids (and their parents) would wildly overstate the interest level various schools were showing in them (Make no mistake; the lie is perpetuated often after one's playing days are through. If anything, it's easier to do after the fact because it's tougher to discredit, although I suspect with the Internet, it will become tougher to do). I once had a kid claim he got a letter from Nebraska or some other Big 8 school after his junior year. This kid was a good player for our area, but not D-1 material. Turns out, it was a letter from admissions because he had marked one of those schools as ones he'd like information on because he checked it off when taking the ACT. That one stands out most, but dozens of those stories run together and paint the same narrative -- recruitable athletes and their parents simply have no clue in dealing with the recruiting process, and more importantly, what that process means.

I never believed what a parent or athlete said about their Division I/FBS recruitment without corroboration (The parents of future stars and contributors are never offended by asking to prove it; the wanna-bes and future washouts are offended that you don't think their son is the next Reggie Bush). The player's high school coach will rarely outright lie about his player's recruitment; the player's opposing coaches will verify his talent.

Part of what makes the bevy of recruiting web sites available today so annoying is that they are all too quick to rely on a parent as a source. Gimme a break ... they'll be evasive with coaches about their college choice, but they'll be honest with a third-class citizen in the media world? C'mon now ...

On the flip side, it's possible there was some over-estimation of his talent by some assistant coaches. (EDIT: I know personally of one kid at my last sports writing gig who had interest from Utah, Boise State and Oregon in his sophomore year; he ended up signing with Weber out of high school). That is entirely believable for someone who played at Long Beach Poly, where a first glimpse at any 7-on-7 or scrimmage would appear to reveal 40 FBS prospects. He also could have gotten injured in his senior season and the big schools backed off.

sancho
06-17-2014, 09:42 PM
I saw this a lot when I covered high school sports for 15 years. Kids (and their parents) would wildly overstate the interest level various schools were showing in them (Make no mistake; the lie is perpetuated often after one's playing days are through. If anything, it's easier to do after the fact because it's tougher to discredit, although I suspect with the Internet, it will become tougher to do).

I just had dinner with an LDS missionary who says he committed to ASU. Says his little brother has been offered by Utah. I don't know why he wouldn't be telling the truth, but it bothers me that I can't find his name anywhere on any ASU/scout/rival website. I guess I'll find out if I hear his named called when we are beating the Sun Devils in 2016.