The trib did this story.

Thoughts?

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/utes/58198766-89/yards-season-iframe-utah.html.csp

DrumNFeather
07-29-2014, 08:31 AM
The trib did this story.

Thoughts?

Andre Dyson not being on the list is a bit of a surprise. No Paul Kruger either.

Applejack
07-29-2014, 08:32 AM
The trib did this story.

Thoughts?

Harold Lusk? That seems like an odd inclusion, even if he is the all-time INT leader. I would have gone with Star or Chris Fuamatu.

I also think they overrank the Rowley/Mtichell era. I love that era, but their stats were inflated from the style of offense we ran. Brian Johnson should not be rated behind any quarterback not named Alex Smith.

concerned
07-29-2014, 08:37 AM
Harold Lusk? That seems like an odd inclusion, even if he is the all-time INT leader. I would have gone with Star or Chris Fuamatu.

I also think they overrank the Rowley/Mtichell era. I love that era, but their stats were inflated from the style of offense we ran. Brian Johnson should not be rated behind any quarterback not named Alex Smith.

No Roy Jefferson, Larry Wilson, Marv Fleming, Lee Groscup?

sancho
07-29-2014, 08:45 AM

For all-time lists in any sport, all-time should mean the modern era, and the modern era should mean the past 25 years. It's impossible to make fair comparisons between athletes across too many generations.

concerned
07-29-2014, 08:57 AM
For all-time lists in any sport, all-time should mean the modern era, and the modern era should mean the past 25 years. It's impossible to make fair comparisons between athletes across too many generations.

So Babe Ruth Ty Cobb Joe Dimaggio Ted Williams Willie Mays Hank Aaron Sandy Koufax are not all time greats?

Applejack
07-29-2014, 09:54 AM
So Babe Ruth Ty Cobb Joe Dimaggio Ted Williams Willie Mays Hank Aaron Sandy Koufax are not all time greats?

It's too hard to compare them to the likes of Robin Yount, Jeff Bagwell, and Andres Gallaraga. Let's call it a draw.

Also, baseball never changes (always boring) whereas football does (was boring before Jim Fassell invented the forward pass, now it's not boring).

SoCalPat
07-29-2014, 09:59 AM
It's too hard to compare them to the likes of Robin Yount, Jeff Bagwell, and Andres Gallaraga. Let's call it a draw.

Also, baseball never changes (always boring) whereas football does (was boring before Jim Fassell invented the forward pass, now it's not boring).

There are two eras in college football, with the modern era starting in 1964 and the implementation of unlimited substitution. After the forward pass, it's the single biggest contribution to what the game looks like today.

SoCalPat
07-29-2014, 10:06 AM
Andre Dyson not being on the list is a bit of a surprise. No Paul Kruger either.

Dyson's omission is a tough call, but it's equally tough to place three defensive backs on this list if you're restricted to 10 names, and I don't think Dyson surpasses Lusk. That Errol Tucker (another DB) is not on here is flat-out criminal.

I know the arguments for Kruger being on this list, but I would've liked to see more production from him in 2008. He's certainly no Luther Elliss, that's for sure.

SoCalPat
07-29-2014, 10:08 AM

All of those guys played in limited substitution eras and would be easy choices for whatever Top 10 list you want from that era.

concerned
07-29-2014, 10:15 AM
All of those guys played in limited substitution eras and would be easy choices for whatever Top 10 list you want from that era.

Jefferson, Wilson, and Grosscup were all All-Americans, I think. How many on this list can claim that? You measure all time greats by comparing them to their competition not to what players are doing today. Babe Ruth hit 60 home runs when everybody else hit 15; not like McGuire and Sosa or even Mantle and Maris.

sancho
07-29-2014, 11:16 AM
Part of the reason to restrict lists to the past 25 years is that none of us remember seeing Babe Ruth play. And those who remember seeing Sandy Koufax play are too tainted by "in my day"-itis to make fair comparisons.

I know all those old Utah guys were great because they were all-americans, but I don't really know anything about them. I know for a fact that Luther Ellis was incredible because I watched him destroy people over and over again.

Even if SoCal calls the 60s and 70s the modern era, it's impossible to compare a player from those decades to a current player. The game has changed, and the players have changed.

concerned
07-29-2014, 11:21 AM
Part of the reason to restrict lists to the past 25 years is that none of us remember seeing Babe Ruth play. And those who remember seeing Sandy Koufax play are too tainted by "in my day"-itis to make fair comparisons.

I know all those old Utah guys were great because they were all-americans, but I don't really know anything about them. I know for a fact that Luther Ellis was incredible because I watched him destroy people over and over again.

Even if SoCal calls the 60s and 70s the modern era, it's impossible to compare a player from those decades to a current player. The game has changed, and the players have changed.

those who restrict the lists to the last 25 years are most tainted by "in my day-itis" because they disrespect and discount everything else.

Applejack
07-29-2014, 11:38 AM
those who restrict the lists to the last 25 years are most tainted by "in my day-itis" because they disrespect and discount everything else.

I agree. Everyone just wants their lifetime to count. It's natural. For me sports began around 1985-86 - anything earlier seems premodern.

Solon
07-29-2014, 03:15 PM
I agree. Everyone just wants their lifetime to count. It's natural. For me sports began around 1985-86 - anything earlier seems premodern.

Erroll Tucker & Steve Smith?
I'm not sure how their stats stack up, but these were two of my all-time favorite Utes.

SoCalPat
07-30-2014, 10:11 AM
BYU fans seem just as puzzled, even outright peeved, at their list. No BYU fan alive could justify Max Hall ahead of Jim McMahon and Steve Young, let alone be No. 2 overall.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/cougars/58225009-88/yards-byu-touchdowns-iframe.html.csp

UtahsMrSports
07-30-2014, 12:58 PM
BYU fans seem just as puzzled, even outright peeved, at their list. No BYU fan alive could justify Max Hall ahead of Jim McMahon and Steve Young, let alone be No. 2 overall.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/cougars/58225009-88/yards-byu-touchdowns-iframe.html.csp

I found 2-4 somewhat laughable.

I really hate to see the trib resort to this. The des news new model has been to hire "talent" for free and crank out endless lists like these (as well as other sub-par content). I hope the trib doesn't fall into the same thing.

Nothing against an occasional list, but, lets have someone who has been on the payroll for a while put some real time and thought into this. Talk to former players/coaches, etc. These lists are just darts at a dartboard.

BTW, a gripe I had on ours..........I wish a 1994 Utah-CSU highlight reel existed the 1995 highlights were cool, but not the same to me. That was my first ever ute experience and ill never forget it.

Applejack
07-30-2014, 01:12 PM
BTW, a gripe I had on ours..........I wish a 1994 Utah-CSU highlight reel existed the 1995 highlights were cool, but not the same to me. That was my first ever ute experience and ill never forget it.

:highfive:

That was my favorite non-BYU, non-Sugar Bowl victory of all time.

U-Ute
08-04-2014, 11:39 AM
:highfive:

That was my favorite non-BYU, non-Sugar Bowl victory of all time.

Agreed. We had some great games against CSU.

mUUser
08-04-2014, 12:27 PM
Eddie Johnson out. Filipo Mokofisi in. Easy call.