PDA

View Full Version : The Season Predictions Thread

DrumNFeather
08-22-2014, 01:14 PM
It is time to call your shot:

Post what you think the Utes 2014 record will be.

If you'd like, post your offensive MVP, Defensive MVP, and Breakout Stars.

Really, post any predictions you have for the 2014 season.

We'll all come back here at the end of the season and give a hardy pat on the back to the people whose bold predictions were right!

DrumNFeather
08-22-2014, 01:21 PM
Here are mine:

ISU - W
FSU - W
@ Michigan - L
WSU - W
@ UCLA - L
@ OSU - W
USC - W
@ ASU - L
Oregon - L
@ Stanford -L
Arizona - W
@ Colorado - W

7-5

Offensive MVP - Travis Wilson (he steps up this year)
Defensive MVP - Tevin Carter (he lives up to the hype)
Breakout Stars - (Carter, obviously) Tim Patrick, Gionni Paul

sancho
08-22-2014, 01:31 PM
6-6

Wins: ISU, FSU, WSU, OSU, CU, and UCLA

LossesL Mich, Oregon, Stanford, USC, ASU, and Arizona

SoCalPat
08-22-2014, 01:35 PM
8-4

Wins: ISU, Fresno, Michigan, Oregon State, Arizona, WSU, USC, Oregon

Losses: UCLA, ASU, Stanford, Colorado

Tied for third in in P-12 South with USC, behind UCLA and ASU.

I'm not held responsible for this prediction if Travis Wilson misses more than 1.5 games.

Jarid in Cedar
08-22-2014, 04:06 PM
8-4
Wins: ISU, FSU, Michigan, Wazzu, USC, ASU, Arizona, Colorado

Losses: UCLA, OSU, Stanford, Oregon

Offensive MVP: Travis Wilson
Defensive MVP: Jared Norris
Breakout: Hunter Dimick

UTEopia
08-22-2014, 05:26 PM
7-6 (I have a bowl win)
ISU - W
FSU - W
@ Michigan - L
WSU - W
@ UCLA - L
@ OSU - W
USC - W
@ ASU - L
Oregon - L
@ Stanford -L
Arizona - W
@ Colorado - W

Offensive MVP - Travis
Defensive MVP - Whittingham
Special Teams MVP - Phillips

UBlender
08-22-2014, 09:45 PM
7-6 (I have a bowl win)
ISU - W
FSU - W
@ Michigan - L
WSU - W
@ UCLA - L
@ OSU - W
USC - W
@ ASU - L
Oregon - L
@ Stanford -L
Arizona - W
@ Colorado - W

Offensive MVP - Travis
Defensive MVP - Whittingham
Special Teams MVP - Phillips

Actually looks like you have us with a bowl loss.

UTEopia
08-23-2014, 10:08 AM
Actually looks like you have us with a bowl loss.

Oh, I have us losing to OSU, USC or UA, I just can't decide which.

Applejack
08-23-2014, 11:29 AM
5-7. (Sorry, just being honest).

OffMVP: "What's the Frequency" Kenneth Scott
DefMVP: Orchard
BreakoutStar (darkhorse): 'Nique Hatfield

UTEopia
08-23-2014, 01:37 PM
5-7. (Sorry, just being honest).

OffMVP: "What's the Frequency" Kenneth Scott
DefMVP: Orchard
BreakoutStar (darkhorse): 'Nique Hatfield

I actually think 5-7 is probably the safest pick out there. It also means you will be that much happier when they win nos. 6,7 and 8.

Applejack
08-23-2014, 02:10 PM
I actually think 5-7 is probably the safest pick out there. It also means you will be that much happier when they win nos. 6,7 and 8.

Fortunately my happiness does not depend on my preseason predictions. It just depends on wins.

Applejack
08-23-2014, 02:12 PM
I notice that most of the people in this thread have us beating usc. What am I missing?

sancho
08-23-2014, 02:49 PM
What am I missing?

Fire in the belly. And enough hope to call it faith.

jrj84105
08-23-2014, 04:24 PM
6-6 with our loss at Michigan and win at UCLA sort of screwing up the playoffs for the PAC.
ISU - W
FSU - W
@ Michigan - L
WSU - W
@ UCLA - W
@ OSU - L
USC - L
@ ASU - L
Oregon - L
@ Stanford -L
Arizona - W
@ Colorado - W

sancho
08-23-2014, 05:15 PM
6-6 with our loss at Michigan and win at UCLA sort of screwing up the playoffs for the PAC.

We picked the same season. Let's hope we are both wrong on the low end of the win column. Though 6-6 would make me happy.

LA Ute
08-23-2014, 05:33 PM
ISU - W
FSU - W
@ Michigan - L
WSU - W
@ UCLA - W
@ OSU - L
USC - L
@ ASU - L
Oregon - L
@ Stanford -L
Arizona - W
@ Colorado - W

I can't argue with your win total or most of your predictions, but I think we beat OSU and lose to UCLA.

SigmaUte
08-23-2014, 05:38 PM
ISU - W
FSU - W
@ Michigan - W
WSU - W
@ UCLA - L
@ OSU - L
USC - W
@ ASU - W
Oregon - L
@ Stanford -L
Arizona - W
@ Colorado - W

8-4 (9-4 with bowl victory)

I'm read a lot of about Michigan this year. I guess I'm just not as afraid of them as the rest of you. I think they will be our second easiest road game this year.

Ma'ake
08-23-2014, 06:40 PM
ISU - Win
Fresno - Win
@ Michigan - L
WSU - Win
@ UCLA - L
@ OSU - Win
USC - Win
@ ASU - L
Oregon - L
@ Stanford -L
Arizona - Win
@ Colorado - Win

You guys are scaring me, depending on the last two games as victories to get bowl eligible, so I added an earlier win, hoping for 7-5, but I'd be very happy to go bowling.

I expect we'll play better this year, and by the time we play SC here, they'll be feeling their depth weakness. That will be our big win in RES this year.

The site that relies heavily on stats has us beating the Devils in Tempe. I'd take that one, in a heartbeat, and throw in an unexpected loss.

By the time Rich Rod and the Cats come to RES, I hope we have an early Siberian express. If we find some way to go 5-4 in the PAC, I'd be ecstatic.

sancho
08-23-2014, 07:54 PM
If we find some way to go 5-4 in the PAC, I'd be ecstatic.

If we go 5-4, we are all learning how to do cartwheels and then posting the video on this site.

SigmaUte
08-23-2014, 11:36 PM
I guess I just want to be optimistic in the pre-season. However, I honestly do believe that are team is improved form last year and that we are going to surprise people. We were close last year. If things go our way a little bit more and the team has improve we win 2-3 more games than last year.

Anyways, heres to an exciting season!

Go Utes!

roseparkutes
08-24-2014, 06:35 PM
isu w
fsu w
@mich w
wsu w
@ucla L
@osu W
usc L
@asu L
Oregon L
@ stan L
zona W
@colorao W

7-5
omvp: Anderson
dmvp: Paul
breakout carter

jrj84105
08-24-2014, 09:16 PM
We picked the same season. Let's hope we are both wrong on the low end of the win column. Though 6-6 would make me happy.
I'd be happy with this 6-6. I have a feeling about the UCLA game.

Utah
08-27-2014, 01:44 PM
First six games: 5-1
Next four games: 0-4
Last two games: 2-0

7-5

Win bowl game. 8-5. Big jump in recruiting.

chrisrenrut
08-27-2014, 02:00 PM
ISU - Win
Fresno - Win
@ Michigan - L
WSU - Win
@ UCLA - L
@ OSU - Win
USC - L
@ ASU - L
Oregon - L
@ Stanford -L
Arizona - L@
Colorado - Win

Sorry, I really wish I shared other's optimism, but I am not sure we are that much improved compared to our competition.
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lf5h51aMmH1qazn6h.gif (http://www.utahby5.com/gifs/484038-debbie-downer-unsocial-gif)

Applejack
08-27-2014, 02:24 PM
First six games: 5-1
Next four games: 0-4
Last two games: 2-0

7-5

Win bowl game. 8-5. Big jump in recruiting.

Of all the teams people are underestimating in this thread (and there are a lot of them), I think Arizona is the most egregious. Yes, we get them at home, but they are the darkhorse in the South, not ASU. I actually like our odds against ASU on the road more than I like our chances against U of A at home.

Utah
08-27-2014, 02:45 PM
Of all the teams people are underestimating in this thread (and there are a lot of them), I think Arizona is the most egregious. Yes, we get them at home, but they are the darkhorse in the South, not ASU. I actually like our odds against ASU on the road more than I like our chances against U of A at home.

I'm torn on Arizona. Great OL, great WR's. HUGE questions at RB and QB. No defense. It all comes down to if you think Rod can put up 35+ a game.

I think our defense holds them.

Here's how I see it:

Guaranteed wins:
ISU

Should win:
WSU
Colorado
Fresno

Can win:
ASU
Arizona
Oregon St
Michigan

Should lose:
USC
UCLA
Stanford
Oregon

I put us 4-0 on our should wins. I think we win a loss. That's 5 wins. That means we have to win two against ASU, Michigan, Arizona and OSU.

All of those teams have potential and HUGE holes. I think we go 2-2 in those games.

7-5.

Utah
08-27-2014, 02:48 PM
p.s. Anyone who thinks Fresno should have a shot to beat us didn't watch Fresno play last year. They are not very good and they lost their NFL QB. That game should be a beat down for Utah.

sancho
08-27-2014, 04:02 PM
I'm torn on Arizona. Great OL, great WR's. HUGE questions at RB and QB.

It would have been better to play them early. I don't think RichRod has ever failed to produce a decent RB, and by the time he plays us, the QB should know the system well.

I have seen others picking Zona #3 over ASU. I personally still think ASU will be tougher for us. They might have the best offense in the conference.

Utah
08-27-2014, 04:56 PM
It would have been better to play them early. I don't think RichRod has ever failed to produce a decent RB, and by the time he plays us, the QB should know the system well.

I have seen others picking Zona #3 over ASU. I personally still think ASU will be tougher for us. They might have the best offense in the conference.

I agree. There are two Rod's out there: WV Rod and Michigan Rod. I think we find out which one Arizona got this year. He lost a ton of talent and Carey was amazing. Was that Carey or scheme? If it was Carey, Arizona wins 5 games. If it was scheme, they could win 8.