PDA

View Full Version : 2014 NCAA football

sancho
08-29-2014, 07:17 AM
Temple - yes Temple - plows through Vandy, handing the SEC its first G5 loss of the year.

(does this thread already exist - I didn't see it?)

Applejack
08-29-2014, 08:45 AM
Temple - yes Temple - plows through Vandy, handing the SEC its first G5 loss of the year.

(does this thread already exist - I didn't see it?)

I don't think so. I have to say, I was pleased to see Boise lose last night. I'm not sure why - I always root for the little guy. Something about Boise, I guess.

sancho
08-29-2014, 08:48 AM
I don't think so. I have to say, I was pleased to see Boise lose last night. I'm not sure why - I always root for the little guy. Something about Boise, I guess.

I think I'm the only Ute fan around who usually pulls for Boise. I've never understood the animosity.

Applejack
08-29-2014, 08:51 AM
I think I'm the only Ute fan around who usually pulls for Boise. I've never understood the animosity.

Frankly, I don't understand it either. I don't hate them, but I did root for an SEC team to beat them last night. :confused:

EutawStUtesFan
08-29-2014, 10:34 AM

You must have never worked with Boise St. fans.

Hot Lunch
08-29-2014, 03:43 PM

I pull for Boise. Mainly because I love how much BYU fans hate on them. Makes me laugh because they accomplished so much more than them over the past 15 to 18 years yet BYU fans still turn their noses up towards the men in Blue and Orange.

LA Ute
08-29-2014, 04:04 PM
I pull for Boise. Mainly because I love how much BYU fans hate on them. Makes me laugh because they accomplished so much more than them over the past 15 to 18 years yet BYU fans still turn their noses up towards the men in Blue and Orange.

Well, it's not academically elite like BYU.

NorthwestUteFan
08-29-2014, 05:25 PM
Well, it's not academically elite like BYU.

I think you meant to say "academically effete like byu".

LA Ute
08-29-2014, 06:44 PM
I think you meant to say "academically effete like byu".

:D.

sancho
08-30-2014, 05:53 PM
God gave us the internet so that we could stream football all Saturday while doing yard work. First football Saturday. What a great holiday.

The good: ISU goes down to an FCS team. Hee-hee. Oregon St and UCLA look weak in their openers.

The bad: UCLA and Oregon St hang on to win. Cal looks vastly improved.

The ugly: Did Nick Saban hire Lane Kiffen just to prove the point that it doesn't really matter who calls plays at Alabama or what system they use? The size, speed, and strength advantages are so wide that even people who take CU or Wazzu in an elimination league could win there.

sancho
09-08-2014, 08:40 AM
Bye week. Good time to squeeze an early Fall hike, fishing trip, or family outing.

For those of us stuck at home, here's what to watch:

UMass @ Vandy - can an SEC team schedule 3 automatic OOC games and still come out 0-3? Hope so!

West Va @ Maryland - classic Big12/Big10 showdown.

Iowa St @ Iowa - I bet there's a trophy, or a bucket, or a boot, or an axe on the line

Illinois @ UW - two P5 programs that are 2-0 by narrowly escaping horrible competition

UCLA @ Texas - Charlie Strong sacrificed the BYU game in order to send a message to his team. Find out if that message was received.

Tennessee @ Oklahoma - First test for Sooners

ASU @ CU - Buffs with the upset!

U-Ute
09-09-2014, 01:45 PM
:rofl:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/09/fed-up-vanderbilt-fan-throws-hat-and-shirt-on-the-field-and-leaves

Scorcho
09-09-2014, 01:47 PM
(week #3) is the worst schedule of College Football that I can remember.

Georgia is at South Carolina, but other than that lots of unwatchable.

LA Ute
09-13-2014, 12:29 PM
Maryland's uniforms carry the text of "The Star-Spangled Banner" today, in commemoration of the battle that began 200 years ago tonight, at Fort McHenry just outside Baltimore, that inspired Francis Scott Key to write the words. Cool.

sancho
09-15-2014, 09:35 AM
Games of the week:

Utah @ Michigan. Win here, Utes, and you may be playing spoiler in another Wolverine's head coaching debut next year.

Auburn @ Kansas State.
Bowling Green @ Wisconsin. This might be the toughest game left on GA's schedule.
Iowa @ Pittsburgh. B10's last shot at a good OOC win?
Tulane @ Duke. Sancho's two previous stops go head to head.
UVa @ BYU. One of 4 remaining losable games for BYU.
Florida @ Bama.
USU @ Ark St. How many times will USU go to SunBelt country before they take a 2-1 with Utah?
MSU @ LSU. Brian Johnson takes out SEC giant?
Clemson @ FSU. Last remaining losable game for FSU?
SUU @ Fresno. Poor Bulldogs finally get in the win column.
Cal @ Zona. Feels like a good game.
SDSU @ OSU.

sancho
09-22-2014, 08:59 AM
Games of the week:

UCLA @ ASU. Go Bruins. If Utah and UCLA win, next week's showdown will be hyped.
Vandy @ Kentucky. Battle for last in the SEC.
Arkansas @ Texas A&M
Stanford @ UW. First real opponent for UW.
Cincy @ Ohio State. Rare chance for an in state opponent to beat the Buckeyes.
OSU @ USC. Glad we don't have USC after their embarrassment @ BC.

Applejack
09-27-2014, 12:18 PM
Anybody watching Va. Tech v. Western Michigan? (Of course not). It's actually a good game (18-10 VT at half).

Western Michigan's coach is wearing the most ridiculous outfit I've ever seen - missionary-style white, short-sleeve shirt, white tie, and a short-sleeve fleece pullover. I'll try to find a pic.

sancho
09-29-2014, 09:52 AM
Arizona @ Oregon. Revenge for the ducks?
A&M @ MSU. Brian Johnson win puts him at the top of the list for Coach Whittingham replacements.
ASU @ USC. Division hopes on the line?
Baylor @ Texas. One month later, Baylor decides to play a P5 team.
Oklahoma @ TCU. Big opportunity for the frogs.
Bama @ Ole Miss. Ole Miss is ranked for some reason. Enjoy it while it lasts, rebs!
Stanford @ Notre Dame. Cheer, cheer for old Notre Dame...
LSU @ Auburn. Go Tigers!
Nebraska @ Michigan State. Spartans to knock Nebraska off contender lists.

U-Ute
10-03-2014, 01:33 PM
An interactive map published by the New York Times of which parts of the country root for which school based on Facebook likes.

Article:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/03/upshot/ncaa-football-fan-map.html?_r=0&abt=0002&abg=1

Here's a direct link to the map:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/03/upshot/ncaa-football-map.html

It's interesting to see how small the UCLA footprint actually is.

OrangeUte
10-04-2014, 02:41 PM
I'm seriously pulling for ole miss to beat bama.

justaute
10-04-2014, 04:22 PM
Many Utes fans seem to like comparing Utah to TCU. Well, TCU and OU are tied at 31-31.

Mormon Red Death
10-04-2014, 04:56 PM
I'm seriously pulling for ole miss to beat bama.

Bama with the krumble (kick off return fumble) The most Devestating play in football.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

OrangeUte
10-04-2014, 05:07 PM
Come on ole miss.

justaute
10-04-2014, 05:11 PM
The way ND defended/rushed Stanford on that last play is what we should have done against WSU. Instead, we rushed 3, dropped 8, and prayed.

OrangeUte
10-04-2014, 05:20 PM
Shake ups in the top 10. I hope the utes can add a casualty!

justaute
10-04-2014, 05:28 PM
TCU wins. #2, #3, #4, and #6 all go down.

Utah? Couldn't beat WSU at home with a 21-point lead.

sancho
10-04-2014, 05:34 PM
Hard not to like the results of this week so far. BYU, Texas, Bama, A&M, Stanford, Oregon, Oklahoma, Wisconsin all lose.

U-Ute
10-04-2014, 05:51 PM
I am surprised we didn't see this from Boise St first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SdIYysJ3aA&feature=youtu.be

justaute
10-04-2014, 09:21 PM
ASU just beat USC on a hail-mary.

chrisrenrut
10-05-2014, 12:34 PM
I don't think "false start" is quite the right description, but that is what they called:

http://gif.mocksession.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/DUMPBRASKA.gif

chrisrenrut
10-05-2014, 12:44 PM
Georgia Tech's punter gets body slammed, WWE style. But more disturbing are Miami's uniforms:

https://vine.co/v/OKZ97TBnarx

LA Ute
10-05-2014, 06:12 PM
Hard not to like the results of this week so far. BYU, Texas, Bama, A&M, Stanford, Oregon, Oklahoma, Wisconsin all lose.

:clap:

sancho
10-06-2014, 09:17 AM
Everyone needs to see this trick play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SdIYysJ3aA

sancho
10-06-2014, 09:25 AM
Games of the bye-week:

Middle Tennessee @ Marshall. Probably the largest remaining hurdle to an undefeated season for the Herd
UGa @ Mizzou. Big SEC East (yes, it's still there) matchup
UMass @ Kent State. One of these teams will grab its first win of the year
Oregon @ UCLA. Not sure who to pull for here
Auburn @ MSU. #2 vs #3
TCU @ Baylor. #9 vs #5
UW @ Cal. First look at what a good defense can do to Cal
Ole Miss @ A&M. Let down game for the Rebs?
USC @ Arizona. Trojans take revenge on state of AZ?

Applejack
10-11-2014, 02:21 PM
Uh...is Mississippi State the best team in the nation? Up 21-0 on Auburn! I guess Brian Johnson was not the source of all of our problems.

LA Ute
10-11-2014, 02:30 PM
Uh...is Mississippi State the best team in the nation? Up 21-0 on Auburn! I guess Brian Johnson was not the source of all of our problems.

He's probably a good QB coach.

concerned
10-11-2014, 03:11 PM
and underneath an OC and an offensive hc. He was on his own here.

LA Ute
10-11-2014, 03:21 PM
And, I am convinced, that hiring decision lead directly to Kyle's seat getting warm.

justaute
10-11-2014, 05:04 PM
Mannnn.....TCU sure looks good.

justaute
10-11-2014, 05:54 PM
Hmmm...gave up three quick touchdowns.

DrumNFeather
10-11-2014, 07:49 PM
Man, not a lot of defense played today.

sancho
10-14-2014, 10:40 PM
Games of the week:

KState @ Oklahoma.
A&M @ Bama. Tide revenge?
Okie St @ TCU.
UGa @ Arkansas. Can the worst team in the SEC west beat the best team in the SEC east?
UW @ Oregon.
ND @ FSU. Two of the last 6 unbeatens.
Stanford @ ASU. Revenge game for the devils?

sancho
10-19-2014, 05:48 PM
Not a ton of intrigue this week:

Oregon @ Cal Friday night Pac-12 game? Okay.
Maryland @ Wisconsin. Could the Terps really win their division in year 1?
Ole Miss @ LSU. Lots of defense.
OSU @ Stanford. Hopefully Cardinals enter free-fall here

OrangeUte
10-19-2014, 07:10 PM
Could we get gameday given the lack of good matchups elsewhere? USC and utah are both very intriguing this year.

OrangeUte
10-19-2014, 07:12 PM
Nevermind. Lsu v ole miss.

sancho
10-27-2014, 09:15 AM
Great week ahead of us:

FSU @ Louisville. Thursday night. Last good chance to hand the 'noles a loss?
Auburn @ Ole Miss. Playoff elimination game.
Arkansas @ MSU. First place vs last in SEC West, and it still looks like a good game.
BYU @ MTSU. How far has BYU really fallen? Playing for their coach's job, do they even care?
TCU @ West Va. Do you like TDs?
Stanford @ Oregon. We need the Ducks to arrive fat and happy in SLC. Go O.
Arizona @ UCLA. Football game between basketball schools.
Cal @ OSU. Bowl elimination game?

U-Ute
10-27-2014, 11:08 AM
TCU @ West Va. Do you like TDs?

TCU says its stadium ran out of fireworks for the season after 82-27 win over Texas Tech (http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/10/tcu-says-its-stadium-ran-out-of-fireworks-for-the-season-after-82-27-win-texas-tech)

TCU isn’t really a high-scoring team. As a matter of fact, the Horned Frogs, like their namesake, have been pretty defensive under head coach Gary Patterson. They usually let the game come to them.

So when the Horned Frogs unexpectedly cut loose and made Texas Tech eat an 82-27 loss on Saturday, the stadium staff ran out of all of the celebratory fireworks that they had for the entire season, according to Assistant Athletics Director for Marketing and Licensing Drew Martin.

Something tells me that WVU has plenty available. They have to ignite all of those couches somehow.

On the ESPN crawler, when displaying the TCU/TTech score:

TCU's basketball team scored 82 points only once all of last season.

:rofl:

U-Ute
10-27-2014, 11:14 AM
Jared Lorenzen on his "Fattest man throwing a TD" record being broken...

https://twitter.com/jaredlorenzen22/status/526068996828041217

Congrats to the Arkansas OL that threw the TD. That's one record I'm happy to give up. #fatmanthrowingtd (https://twitter.com/hashtag/fatmanthrowingtd?src=hash) #BBN (https://twitter.com/hashtag/BBN?src=hash)

U-Ute
10-27-2014, 01:02 PM
What's better than breaking 7 tackles?

Doing it to Mario Bros music (http://www.forwhomthecowbelltolls.com/2014/10/26/7073471/josh-robinson-is-great-josh-robinson-set-to-super-mario-bros-is-even).

sancho
11-03-2014, 08:40 AM
Games of the week (three playoff elimination games this week):

Memphis @ Temple. Nobody thought these two would be 5-3 going into this game. There are 5 teams on top of the AAC at 3-1.
Presbyterian @ Ole Miss. The SEC SOS' start to go down in November with games like these.
Iowa @ Minnesota. These are two of the 4 teams on top of the Big10 west at 3-1.
Baylot @ Oklahoma. Sooners can play spoiler.
Notre Dame @ ASU. Elimination game #1. Go Irish!
Kansas State @ TCU. Elmination game #2. If TCU wins, they have an easy path to the playoff (@Kansas, @Texas, Iowa St).
Bama @ LSU. Gaeux Tigers.
OSU @ MSU. Elimination game #3.

UBlender
11-03-2014, 09:11 AM
Games of the week (three playoff elimination games this week):

Memphis @ Temple. Nobody thought these two would be 5-3 going into this game. There are 5 teams on top of the AAC at 3-1.
Presbyterian @ Ole Miss. The SEC SOS' start to go down in November with games like these.
Iowa @ Minnesota. These are two of the 4 teams on top of the Big10 west at 3-1.
Baylot @ Oklahoma. Sooners can play spoiler.
Notre Dame @ ASU. Elimination game #1. Go Irish!
Kansas State @ TCU. Elmination game #2. If TCU wins, they have an easy path to the playoff (@Kansas, @Texas, Iowa St).
Bama @ LSU. Gaeux Tigers.
OSU @ MSU. Elimination game #3.

I don't think the SEC's SOS will matter. The computers have been thrown out (at least as far as the official formula for determining consideration) and the committee will justify ESS EEE SEE in any way they need to, regardless of SOS formulas.

Why go Irish? I think an ASU win helps Utah in almost every way I can imagine (other than the Todd Graham is a douche factor). ASU losing OOC doesn't help Utah's divisional chances and an ASU win helps the PAC's profile and increases the chances for the PAC to get a second team into the NY6 which would improve Utah's bowl prospects.

sancho
11-03-2014, 09:35 AM
I don't think the SEC's SOS will matter. The computers have been thrown out (at least as far as the official formula for determining consideration) and the committee will justify ESS EEE SEE in any way they need to, regardless of SOS formulas.

True, mostly just an observation that the SEC SOS is inflated a little at this point. I don't think the committee has to stretch at all to justify putting 2 SEC teams in. It seems clear to me that the SEC West houses 4-5 really good teams.

Why go Irish? I think an ASU win helps Utah in almost every way I can imagine (other than the Todd Graham is a douche factor). ASU losing OOC doesn't help Utah's divisional chances and an ASU win helps the PAC's profile and increases the chances for the PAC to get a second team into the NY6 which would improve Utah's bowl prospects.

Mostly because I dislike ASU and don't want them to perform well. I don't want them in the playoff discussion anymore. I don't want all those great recruits that Graham has lined up to think that ASU is on the verge of becoming a national power. As for Utah's bowl prospects, I'm still just happy we are going.

utefan
11-03-2014, 01:00 PM
I can't buy into the sentiment that a lot of people seem to have.

"I set my expectations so low that I'm ecstatic the Utes are mediocre. I mentally prepared for us to totally suck, so I'm happy with a 6-6 finish."

Regardless of what anyone's expectations may have been before the season started, the fact of the matter is the Utes are only a couple of plays away from being undefeated. A few days ago the Utes were very much alive in the race for the 4 playoff spots. I don't see how just making a bowl game can be acceptable at this point.

Personally, I hope ASU beats Notre Dame by 50 points, and then loses all the rest of their conference games. And I hope all the SEC teams beat up on each other and somehow they all end up with 2 losses.

justaute
11-03-2014, 01:32 PM
Can we find another like this? Pretty please...

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/vahe-gregorian/article3529947.html

Applejack
11-03-2014, 01:50 PM

"I set my expectations so low that I'm ecstatic the Utes are mediocre. I mentally prepared for us to totally suck, so I'm happy with a 6-6 finish."

Regardless of what anyone's expectations may have been before the season started, the fact of the matter is the Utes are only a couple of plays away from being undefeated. A few days ago the Utes were very much alive in the race for the 4 playoff spots. I don't see how just making a bowl game can be acceptable at this point.

Personally, I hope ASU beats Notre Dame by 50 points, and then loses all the rest of their conference games. And I hope all the SEC teams beat up on each other and somehow they all end up with 2 losses.

This is a bizarre post. Why are the Utes mediocre? Because we've lost two games? Because we are 2-1 against ranked opponents? If you are distraught because we won't be taking a playoff spot this year, I don't know what to tell you.

Sure, the Utes are a couple of plays from being undefeated. They are also a couple of plays away from being 0-5 in the Pac-12. We are very competitive in a very competitive conference - tough wins and losses are the name of the game.

Personally, if the Utes finish 8-4 I will be over the moon. That is a hugely over-achievement given our talent and schedule.

SoCalPat
11-03-2014, 02:14 PM
This is a bizarre post. Why are the Utes mediocre? Because we've lost two games? Because we are 2-1 against ranked opponents? If you are distraught because we won't be taking a playoff spot this year, I don't know what to tell you.

Sure, the Utes are a couple of plays from being undefeated. They are also a couple of plays away from being 0-5 in the Pac-12. We are very competitive in a very competitive conference - tough wins and losses are the name of the game.

Personally, if the Utes finish 8-4 I will be over the moon. That is a hugely over-achievement given our talent and schedule.

There is a segment of Ute fans who truly believe we're playing with house money because the team has already met their rather mediocre standard -- getting to six wins and a bowl game. That's the point utefan is trying to make. Wonder if they'd remain as upbeat if we lost 6 straight to end the season and finished 6-7.

Applejack
11-03-2014, 02:20 PM
There is a segment of Ute fans who truly believe we're playing with house money because the team has already met their rather mediocre standard -- getting to six wins and a bowl game. That's the point utefan is trying to make. Wonder if they'd remain as upbeat if we lost 6 straight to end the season and finished 6-7.

Granted, that would be a crappy ending to the season. But the fact that we are 6-2 right now is outstanding, sorry, it just is. We have beaten Michigan, UCLA, and Oregon State on the road and we beat USC. We just lost a heartbreaker to a top 15 team (also on the road) and we crapped the second half bed against Wazzu.

I just don't get the manic up and downs associated with losing/winning coin toss games. If we had won on Saturday everyone would be stoked, and rightfully so. But the difference between losing and winning that game is essentially random chance. We're a really good team so enjoy the ride. It's going to be bumpy the next few weeks.

chrisrenrut
11-03-2014, 02:53 PM
Granted, that would be a crappy ending to the season. But the fact that we are 6-2 right now is outstanding, sorry, it just is. We have beaten Michigan, UCLA, and Oregon State on the road and we beat USC. We just lost a heartbreaker to a top 15 team (also on the road) and we crapped the second half bed against Wazzu.

I just don't get the manic up and downs associated with losing/winning coin toss games. If we had won on Saturday everyone would be stoked, and rightfully so. But the difference between losing and winning that game is essentially random chance. We're a really good team so enjoy the ride. It's going to be bumpy the next few weeks.

Amen, and amen. Preach on, brother AJ.

utefan
11-03-2014, 04:38 PM
Exactly. Thank you.

LA Ute
11-03-2014, 07:41 PM

I don't think anyone here sees it that way. Do you?

Diehard Ute
11-03-2014, 07:45 PM

And I'd add that where this team is right now isn't a sign of being mediocre anyway.

You'd think we got blown out the way some fans are acting. I'd always rather win. But I'm not naive enough to pretend we should expect to win every tough road game either.

LA Ute
11-03-2014, 07:45 PM

Do you think anyone here sees it that way?

Rocker Ute
11-03-2014, 08:32 PM
And I'd add that where this team is right now isn't a sign of being mediocre anyway.

You'd think we got blown out the way some fans are acting. I'd always rather win. But I'm not naive enough to pretend we should expect to win every tough road game either.

Agreed, this is actually a very good Utah team. I was joking with friends yesterday that it would have been better to get beat by 20 then lose how we did because then fans might give ASU some credit for making us look 'bad'. I'll just say I'm glad that a lot of Ute fans don't have their finger on the nuke button, because a slight wind change might trigger them to blow it all up.

utefan
11-03-2014, 09:58 PM
I've seen a few posts where people said, "I expected us to be at..." or "We're still exceeding my preseason expectations."

I don't think we should judge every week by the record we expected the Utes to have in the preseason.

If the Utes have a 4th quarter lead and lose in OT after missing a 35 yard fg, with only 57 yards passing for the entire game, and only 8 pass attempts in the entire second half and OT combined, that is disappointing to me.

I don't care how good ASU is or what the preseason expectations were. The Utes were 1 play away from winning and securing sole possession of first place in the south. Coming up short is incredibly disappointing.

OrangeUte
11-03-2014, 09:59 PM
I am absolutely enjoying the ups and downs of this season. This team is intriguing, and exciting, and frustrating. This is why we enjoy sports. There are 4 games left and so much could happen - good and bad. I hope for the good and believe that we can find success.

SoCalPat
11-03-2014, 10:28 PM
I've seen a few posts where people said, "I expected us to be at..." or "We're still exceeding my preseason expectations."

I don't think we should judge every week by the record we expected the Utes to have in the preseason.

If the Utes have a 4th quarter lead and lose in OT after missing a 35 yard fg, with only 57 yards passing for the entire game, and only 8 pass attempts in the entire second half and OT combined, that is disappointing to me.

I don't care how good ASU is or what the preseason expectations were. The Utes were 1 play away from winning and securing sole possession of first place in the south. Coming up short is incredibly disappointing.

Bingo. I've been to the Fiesta and Sugar bowls. I've also been to the Armed Forces Bowl as well. And I know that Arizona has never been in the Rose Bowl and that Cal hasn't been in it in nearly 60 years.

So when the opportunity is there for a special season and it passes by the wayside, saying we're 6-2 is nice but doesn't change the fact that we're two points from being undefeated and in the top 10. If Oregon beats us, I hope they do it decisively so I can get off this kick that were somehow an exceptional team that was thisclose from doing something special.

Jarid in Cedar
11-03-2014, 11:41 PM
The loss Saturday was a rip your heart out of your chest and watch it beat the last few beats kind of loss. And exactly because of what a win would have meant for the season's finish. We would have had a strangle hold on the division with wins over the preseason top 3.

That said, I don't think we are quite a division winning team yet. I picked 8-4 to start the season. I think 9-3 is well within reason at this point.

Oregon is going to be tough, but we have more than a punches chance at home.

Stanford is a perfect match for us, one of the few teams that we have superior athletes, our defense is going to shut them down (they kick 3 field goals against us).

Arizona? I don't get why so many fans can't look at this team objectively. Our defense is far superior to UCLA'S and the Bruins just held them to 7 and shut them out in the second half. Booker is going to dominate the 3-3-5. He is going to get to the second level all game long. Their secondary is going to refuse to tackke him by the end of the game. At home, we are going to win going away.

Finish this year strong and next year begins with us ranked in the top 15, with a favorable home slate. If we can get just average passing production, we will be in the conference and national race from start to finish.

scottie
11-04-2014, 01:26 AM
The loss Saturday was a rip your heart out of your chest and watch it beat the last few beats kind of loss. And exactly because of what a win would have meant for the season's finish. We would have had a strangle hold on the division with wins over the preseason top 3.

That said, I don't think we are quite a division winning team yet. I picked 8-4 to start the season. I think 9-3 is well within reason at this point.

Oregon is going to be tough, but we have more than a punches chance at home.

Stanford is a perfect match for us, one of the few teams that we have superior athletes, our defense is going to shut them down (they kick 3 field goals against us).

Arizona? I don't get why so many fans can't look at this team objectively. Our defense is far superior to UCLA'S and the Bruins just held them to 7 and shut them out in the second half. Booker is going to dominate the 3-3-5. He is going to get to the second level all game long. Their secondary is going to refuse to tackke him by the end of the game. At home, we are going to win going away.

Finish this year strong and next year begins with us ranked in the top 15, with a favorable home slate. If we can get just average passing production, we will be in the conference and national race from start to finish.

Like.

SoCalPat
11-04-2014, 08:41 AM
Do you think anyone here sees it that way?

http://www.utahby5.com/showthread.php?1599-A-Short-Stay-in-Hell-18-Utes-visit-14-Sun-Devils&p=43585#post43585

sancho
11-04-2014, 08:48 AM
http://www.utahby5.com/showthread.php?1599-A-Short-Stay-in-Hell-18-Utes-visit-14-Sun-Devils&p=43585#post43585

It's true. We are playing with house money. Recognition of that fact seems to be off-putting to some. I think they are confusing it with an admission of defeat or a complacency or something. You still want to win even when you are playing with house money. You still like gravy even though turkey is good on its own.

Winning out is a possibility for us. So is losing out. I'm afraid of what I would have to read here and elsewhere if we lose out.

SoCalPat
11-04-2014, 09:00 AM
It's true. We are playing with house money. Recognition of that fact seems to be off-putting to some. I think they are confusing it with an admission of defeat or a complacency or something. You still want to win even when you are playing with house money. You still like gravy even though turkey is good on its own.

Winning out is a possibility for us. So is losing out. I'm afraid of what I would have to read here and elsewhere if we lose out.

I would not be content with losing out. Hill is sharpening his blade to plunge into Kyle's back if we end up 6-7.

concerned
11-04-2014, 09:06 AM
I would not be content with losing out. Hill is sharpening his blade to plunge into Kyle's back if we end up 6-7.

Really? This year is a two-edged sword. We are showing that we can be competitive and are not at a permanent, institutional disadvantage that cant be overcome.

SoCalPat
11-04-2014, 09:08 AM

As one in the gambling biz, I love it when people play with house money. They end up giving it all back to us (and usually then some) because they haven't changed their expectations. There's also a sense of remorse that they didn't get up and walk. Being afraid of what will be said if we lose out shouldn't be off-putting to you for the same reasons you believe we're playing with house money. Breaking even is breaking even, isn't it?

SoCalPat
11-04-2014, 09:10 AM
Really? This year is a two-edged sword. We are showing that we can be competitive and are not at a permanent, institutional disadvantage that cant be overcome.

I know our fanbase too well. The clamor for Kyle's head will be significant if we don't win another game this year.

(I personally don't think it will happen, but I didn't dream we'd lose 5 straight after beating Stanford last year, either)

Rocker Ute
11-04-2014, 09:12 AM
I know our fanbase too well. The clamor for Kyle's head will be significant if we don't win another game this year.

(I personally don't think it will happen, but I didn't dream we'd lose 5 straight after beating Stanford last year, either)

Fans are already passively calling his head for getting us into an OT away loss against a top 15 team.

justaute
11-04-2014, 09:13 AM
To me, "how" we win/lose is also a meaningful data-point.

sancho
11-04-2014, 09:23 AM
As one in the gambling biz, I love it when people play with house money. They end up giving it all back to us (and usually then some) because they haven't changed their expectations. There's also a sense of remorse that they didn't get up and walk. Being afraid of what will be said if we lose out shouldn't be off-putting to you for the same reasons you believe we're playing with house money. Breaking even is breaking even, isn't it?

I don't see how any of this matters. We're all staying up late to watch games. We all want Utah to win. We all hate losing. To be honest, I don't know what I will feel like if we finish 6-7.

I do know that I told myself that this season was about getting to a bowl game, and we are there. So that's at least something.

Applejack
11-04-2014, 09:58 AM
I don't see how any of this matters. We're all staying up late to watch games. We all want Utah to win. We all hate losing. To be honest, I don't know what I will feel like if we finish 6-7.

I do know that I told myself that this season was about getting to a bowl game, and we are there. So that's at least something.

My goal for the Utes (now that we are BOWLING!) is to finish with a winning record in the PAC. That involves (a) taking care of business in Boulder and (b) knocking off yet another ranked team. Or Stanford. Finishing 5-4 in the PAC with our schedule (not to mention the Wazzu egg) would be thrilling.

I know that for some that is loser talk - we should instead be discussing how we will celebrate when we shutout Oregon this week - but if you can't recognize 8-4 (5-4 in conference) as a wildly successful season, you are going to be very disappointed during your lifetime.

Mormon Red Death
11-04-2014, 10:39 AM
My goal for the Utes (now that we are BOWLING!) is to finish with a winning record in the PAC. That involves (a) taking care of business in Boulder and (b) knocking off yet another ranked team. Or Stanford. Finishing 5-4 in the PAC with our schedule (not to mention the Wazzu egg) would be thrilling.

I know that for some that is loser talk - we should instead be discussing how we will celebrate when we shutout Oregon this week - but if you can't recognize 8-4 (5-4 in conference) as a wildly successful season, you are going to be very disappointed during your lifetime.

My goal is to finish the season 12-2 winning the Fiesta Bowl.

mpfunk
11-04-2014, 10:59 AM

I won't be calling for Whittingham's head no matter what happens the rest of the way. We are bowl eligible and that gets him to next season. If he does 7-5 or 6-6, I think it is time to hold off talking extension for now.

Rocker Ute
11-04-2014, 12:00 PM
I won't be calling for Whittingham's head no matter what happens the rest of the way. We are bowl eligible and that gets him to next season. If he does 7-5 or 6-6, I think it is time to hold off talking extension for now.

There are no gimmes left, we could easily win out but being a Ute fans I have that feeling like maybe we used up all of our positive Karma on 3 wins in a row and we'll somehow end at 6-6.

That being said here are my bold predictions, written down so you can all mock me for them:

Oregon W
Stanford W
AZ L
CO W - barely, possibly an L

I think this is the type of team to come out pissed about the ASU loss and surprise Oregon... and by virtue of that also knock the PAC12 out of the playoffs, earning us the ire of the PAC12 (but who cares about that). Stanford I think we match up well, will be able to exploit this despite this being a game likely circled by Stanford since the summer.

Riding high after those two wins we'll somehow lay an egg against AZ after our defense spends a lot of time out on the field.

CO seems to have our number each year, never the blowout it should be.

Rocker Ute
11-04-2014, 12:38 PM
Also, I love that we are FINALLY doing stuff like this:

http://vimeo.com/110916467

U-Ute
11-06-2014, 09:47 AM
How the hell does UCLA end up on this list?

The 10 best student sections in college football (http://fanindex.usatoday.com/2014/11/03/the-10-best-student-sections-in-college-football/)

LA Ute
11-06-2014, 10:58 AM
How the hell does UCLA end up on this list?

The 10 best student sections in college football (http://fanindex.usatoday.com/2014/11/03/the-10-best-student-sections-in-college-football/)

I didn't notice any student section when I was at the UCLA game this year.

U-Ute
11-06-2014, 11:19 AM
I didn't notice any student section when I was at the UCLA game this year.

Their justification seemed to be "they gained ticket sales while everyone else is losing them".

:blink:

LA Ute
11-08-2014, 05:26 PM
This Auburn-aTm game has been amazing. Two Auburn fumbles in the final 2-3 minutes of the game are going to cost them the game and their playoff hopes. The game-sealing fumble was just a bonehead mistake -- a premature snap. Wow.

sancho
11-08-2014, 05:31 PM
This Auburn-aTm game has been amazing. Two Auburn fumbles in the final 2-3 minutes of the game are going to cost them the game and their playoff hopes. The game-sealing fumble was just a bonehead mistake -- a premature snap. Wow.

Fire Mahlzan!!

LA Ute
11-08-2014, 06:00 PM
Fire Mahlzan!!

Right! Obviously he's doing a poor job of making his players error-free.

sancho
11-10-2014, 09:13 AM
Games of the week:

ECU @ Cincy - first place in AAC at stake
Cal @ USC
Auburn @ UGa. 5 days ago, this looked like the undercard for game of the week. Now it's an afterthought.
OSU @ Minnesota. Yes, the gopher is 7-2.
MSU @ Bama. Game of the week. The last two SEC teams with fewer than 2 losses.
UW @ Arizona. I'd really like Utah to finish 3rd in the south. Go Huskies.
Nebraska @ Wisconsin.
Missouri @ A&M. Tigers, Bulldogs, and Gators fighting for the SEC east title and a chance to spoil someone's playoff hopes.
FSU @ Miami.
ASU @ OSU. Please someone wake up Sean Mannion.

DrumNFeather
11-10-2014, 11:15 AM
One ESPN Projection has The U squaring of against....The U!

http://espn.go.com/college-football/bowls/projections

Applejack
11-11-2014, 01:11 PM
One ESPN Projection has The U squaring of against....The U!

http://espn.go.com/college-football/bowls/projections

Is Jake Heaps quarterbacking for them? It would be nice, for once, to have the best quarterback on the field. Well, I guess it happened at Michigan.

hostile
11-11-2014, 05:22 PM
Is Jake Heaps quarterbacking for them? It would be nice, for once, to have the best quarterback on the field. Well, I guess it happened at Michigan.
I believe he is the back-up. Not sure how much game time he has seen this year.

NorthwestUteFan
11-11-2014, 05:24 PM
Jake Heaps has more attempts but fewer total yards than Brandon Cox this year.

DrumNFeather
11-11-2014, 05:35 PM
Ranked 23 in the selection committee rankings, the only 6 win team in the rankings.

LA Ute
11-11-2014, 09:26 PM
Ranked 23 in the selection committee rankings, the only 6 win team in the rankings.

Cool. It also looks like Oregon is getting credit for a quality win over us. In an odd way that's a nice feeling.

DrumNFeather
11-11-2014, 09:27 PM
Cool. It also looks like Oregon is getting credit for a quality win over us. In an odd way that's a nice feeling.
When you consider that our last two losses are to #2 and #6, that makes us 2-1 in moral victories on the year. :)

concerned
11-11-2014, 09:32 PM

I thought for sure Oregon would be demoted for being the lucky beneficiary of the Kaelin 14 point swing. But Marioata was a man among boys in the 4th quarter, and Oregon got rewarded for that, I guess.

NorthwestUteFan
11-11-2014, 10:08 PM
I have a nagging feeling that had we begun the 4th quarter with a 10 point lead rather than trailing by 3, that the play calling would have gone back to 'Run Booker up the middle three times then pray for Hackett to attempt to pin them deep', followed by Mariota scoring three TDs and a field goal.

sancho
11-17-2014, 08:41 AM
A week off for the SEC. This should either be banned, or we should be doing it too. Only a couple games between ranked teams, and we already are aware of one of them.

KState @ West VA. TCU tore Snyder's defense apart. Will West Va do the same?
UNC @ Duke. For the bell.
Marshall @ UAB. Looking more and more like a NY6 game for the Herd.
Minnesota @ Nebraska. Both coming off losses, trying to make the west division interesting.
Wisconsin @ Iowa. Again, trying to make the west interesting.
Ole Miss @ Arkansas. Razorbacks finally got an SEC win. Two in a row?
Louisville @ Notre Dame. Notre Dame free fall?
Maryland @ Michigan. Wolverines last chance at bowl game?
BC @ FSU. Can Eagles log another big upset?
Stanford @ Cal. The big game. Both teams are going for win #6.
USC @ UCLA. By the time it starts, we will know whether or not we have to root for the Bruins.
OSU @ UW. Beavers' last shot at a bowl game?

sancho
11-24-2014, 09:07 AM
Rivalry week! So many great games:

TCU @ Texas. Can frogs bounce back after Kansas "win"?
Arkansas @ Mizzou. Last in the SEC west vs first in the SEC east.
ASU @ Zona. Please, football gods, may the winning coach move to Gainsville
UVa @ VT. Winner goes bowling. Loser stays home.
Illinois @ Northwestern. Winner goes bowling. Loser stays home.
GT @ UGa. Part 1 of ACC/SEC challenge
SC @ Clemson. Part 2.
Minnesota @ Wisconsin. Winner gets OSU in title game.
MSU @ Ole Miss. Rebs look to play spoiler.
Florida @ FSU. Gators look to play spoiler.
BYU @ Cal. Does Pac-12 get a 9th bowl team?
Auburn @ Bama. Revenge for the Tide.
USU @ BSU. Aggies to play spoiler? Wells moves up on coaching rumor lists with a win.

Applejack
11-28-2014, 01:52 PM
Marshall is tied with Western Kentucky 59-59 with :36 to go. WKU has the ball near midfield.

I'm not a Marshall fan (are there such things outside of West Virginia), but it would be sad to see their dream season die on the last day of the regular season.

Applejack
11-28-2014, 02:38 PM
Marshall is tied with Western Kentucky 59-59 with :36 to go. WKU has the ball near midfield.

I'm not a Marshall fan (are there such things outside of West Virginia), but it would be sad to see their dream season die on the last day of the regular season.

They lose in OT. Now it looks like either Boise or CSU is going to a NY6 bowl.

sancho
11-28-2014, 03:11 PM
They lose in OT. Now it looks like either Boise or CSU is going to a NY6 bowl.

Or USU, right? Winner of the MWC gets in?

Applejack
11-28-2014, 03:41 PM
Or USU, right? Winner of the MWC gets in?

Can USU still win the MWC? I'm not sure they'd get in over a 12-1 Marshall, but maybe.

sancho
11-28-2014, 03:49 PM
Can USU still win the MWC? I'm not sure they'd get in over a 12-1 Marshall, but maybe.

To be honest, I don't know. I can check though...USU can win if they beat BSU tonight and if CSU loses to AFA today (AFA is up by 7 in the 3rd).

I think MWC winner has to be the NY6 team. Matt Wells can punch his ticket to the P5 tonight.

Applejack
11-28-2014, 03:59 PM
To be honest, I don't know. I can check though...USU can win if they beat BSU tonight and if CSU loses to AFA today (AFA is up by 7 in the 3rd).

I think MWC winner has to be the NY6 team. Matt Wells can punch his ticket to the P5 tonight.

I think if CSU loses and Boise loses, that the MWC will have a tough time making the NY6. Utah State ranks really, really low in computer polls. Memphis and Cincinnati are way ahead of them, for instance. If the choice is between a 9-3 USU team, an 12-1 Marshall, and whoever wins the American, the MWC is in trouble.

sancho
11-28-2014, 04:05 PM
I think if CSU loses and Boise loses, that the MWC will have a tough time making the NY6. Utah State ranks really, really low in computer polls. Memphis and Cincinnati are way ahead of them, for instance. If the choice is between a 9-3 USU team, an 12-1 Marshall, and whoever wins the American, the MWC is in trouble.

Oh. I didn't check the computer polls. In that case, I'm rooting for Memphis to get the spot. Here's what I want to see:

USU beats BSU tonight. CSU loses to AFA today. USU loses in the title game to whoever next week. Marshall loses title game next week. Memphis wins out. Side benefit? It would knock BYU's Miami Bowl opponent down a notch. With some luck, they might play Temple in the least interesting bowl game of all time.

sancho
11-28-2014, 04:12 PM
UCLA's loss today means last year's Stanford upset will remain our single biggest victory as a Pac-12 team.

Applejack
11-28-2014, 05:30 PM
UCLA's loss today means last year's Stanford upset will remain our single biggest victory as a Pac-12 team.

Which is as it should be. I was not impressed with UCLA. I still haven't been able to determine how they keep winning.

Stanford's 2013 squad was a legitimate title contender.

Mormon Red Death
11-28-2014, 07:26 PM
If utah st beats Boise and Sdsu they are going Fiesta bowl

sancho
11-29-2014, 06:48 PM
So, the P5 title games are set:

Oregon vs Arizona. Can Wildcats make it three in a row?
Wisconsin vs OSU. Will OSU have Barrett? Battle of two ex-Ute coaches.
Alabama vs Missouri. Regardless of how they do against Auburn, Bama is in the playoff with a win here.
GT vs FSU. So hard to watch GT with the triple option. Last chance to expose FSU before Oregon does it.

concerned
11-29-2014, 06:54 PM
with Mississippi State losing and Ohio State losing its quarterback, it is entirely possible that both TCU and Baylor can make the playoffs. That is some irony considering they're the one conference it doesn't have a championship game.even If Ohio State beats Wisconsin, I could see the committee downgrading them because they're playing their 3rd string quarterback.

justaute
11-29-2014, 06:56 PM
I'm pulling for TCU. Not only do I live 1/2 mile from its campus, but also I'm a fan of the way Patterson runs the program. A few of the Utah fans kept on comparing TCU's recent struggles to those of Utah. Well, I disagree, and that's not just because of TCU's success this year. It goes all the way back to the days when TCU kicked the $hit out of Utah in SLC.

sancho
11-29-2014, 07:04 PM
with Mississippi State losing and Ohio State losing its quarterback, it is entirely possible that both TCU and Baylor can make the playoffs.

Possible, but it's still more likely that the committee has to chose one of them, which is a lose-lose proposition.

concerned
11-29-2014, 07:12 PM
Possible, but it's still more likely that the committee has to chose one of them, which is a lose-lose proposition.

yeah. I forgot that Florida state would also have to lose

concerned
11-30-2014, 10:05 AM
Dont know if it means anything, but four ACC teams beat SEC teams yesterday. (GT over GA, FSU over FL, Lou over KY, and Clem over SC).

Maybe the SEC isnt almighty after all. Or maybe it means you shouldnt play out of conference rivalry games the last week of November. (Words to the wise.)

LA Ute
11-30-2014, 11:18 AM
Or maybe it means you shouldn't play out of conference rivalry games the last week of November. (Words to the wise.)

It does give one pause. Imagine how it would have been, after fighting and scratching our way through that PAC-12 schedule, now to be facing another season-finale Holy War rivalry game with all it brings. No, thanks.

concerned
11-30-2014, 11:37 AM
BTW, I read somewhere that Cal had three gay marriage proposals as part of the halftime show yesterday. Is that true? If so, that obviously cannot have been a coincidence. Somebody is making a statement to somebody else.

(maybe this should be in the marriage equality thread.)

LA Ute
11-30-2014, 12:24 PM
BTW, I read somewhere that Cal had three gay marriage proposals as part of the halftime show yesterday. Is that true? If so, that obviously cannot have been a coincidence. Somebody is making a statement to somebody else.

(maybe this should be in the marriage equality thread.)

I don't recall -- was it Cal, Stanford, or UCLA that was the only vote standing between a certain religious university and PAC-12 membership?

sancho
11-30-2014, 04:11 PM
UAB announces that it is dropping football. Is this the future of the G5?

SeattleUte
11-30-2014, 08:01 PM
Did Gary Andersen coach under Urban Meyer? It's interesting they're playing each other in the Big Ten Title. The Utah tree is getting ubiquitous.

Mormon Red Death
11-30-2014, 08:05 PM
Did Gary Andersen coach under Urban Meyer? It's interesting they're playing each other in the Big Ten Title. The Utah tree is getting ubiquitous.

He was the Def line coach

U-Ute
12-12-2014, 02:57 PM

That girl is on fiiiiirrrrrrre....

Seriously... someone help her...

Ohio State coach Urban Meyer's wife, Shelley, celebrated her 50th birthday and her hair caught on fire

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dfzTh?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=college-football

U-Ute
12-16-2014, 11:34 AM
The Orange Bowl: now with more cowbell! (http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2014/12/16/orange-bowl-allow-cowbells-inside/)

Remember: Ring responsibly!

Diehard Ute
12-16-2014, 12:54 PM
The Orange Bowl: now with more cowbell! (http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2014/12/16/orange-bowl-allow-cowbells-inside/)

Remember: Ring responsibly!

Apparently they moonlight at the Salt Lake Airport

http://www.sltrib.com/opinion/1938065-155/op-ed-escalation-in-lds-missionary-welcome-home