PDA

View Full Version : FresNO!!!!! The official Fsu game thread

Mormon Red Death
08-30-2014, 07:02 PM
We can beat fresneck st. USC however will be a game

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Mormon Red Death
08-30-2014, 07:08 PM
Btw if we can't defend a Schram offense then all those bitch sessions when he was or oc were uncalled for.

Mormon Red Death
08-30-2014, 07:43 PM
Btw me likey molly mcgrath

Applejack
08-30-2014, 08:17 PM
We can beat fresneck st. USC however will be a game

Our only hope against usc is for Sark to keep being racist.

Devildog
08-31-2014, 09:43 AM
Our only hope against usc is for Sark to keep being racist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMRrNY0pxfM

UtahsMrSports
08-31-2014, 10:25 AM
Yeah, we should beat fresno by a decent amount. They had some BYU-itis (celebrating each decent play like they just won the super bowl). And i think it tired them out a bit.

That and USC is just good. Really good.

UTEopia
08-31-2014, 11:47 AM
Throughout the year Fresno will play better and USC will play worse. Fresno has some good athletes who can challenge our players. The outcomes of the two games were my biggest fear. Fresno will be on a mission to prove that they are not that bad and will believe that this is the best opportunity to do that. I hope our players are smart enough to realize that Fresno is not that bad and that they will need to be better than they were against Idaho St. in order to convincingly beat Fresno. I will make this prediction, unless we beat Fresno by 28 points, there will be a bunch of posters posting and believing that we won't win another game.

jrj84105
08-31-2014, 01:21 PM
Fresno had a starting CB kicked off the team recently. They should get a LB back from suspension for us. Their secondary, however, is a problem. They have one good CB and a good safety who will both be tied up with stopping Dres. I'm looking for Scott to have a big game and maybe Tonga as well.

OrangeUte
08-31-2014, 10:56 PM
I'm just now watching Fresno v. USC. I think we win big. Our defensive and offensive lines should be much improved Saturday over game 1. The sluggishness and out of position problems should be fixed. I listened to Orchard post game and I think the defense is in good hands. I liked what I saw from our offense and I don't see anything from Fresno's D that makes me nervous.

Plus this will be the week that more of the offense is opened up. I look forward to that.

sancho
08-31-2014, 11:19 PM
I'm just now watching Fresno v. USC. I think we win big. Our defensive and offensive lines should be much improved Saturday over game 1. The sluggishness and out of position problems should be fixed. I listened to Orchard post game and I think the defense is in good hands. I liked what I saw from our offense and I don't see anything from Fresno's D that makes me nervous.

Plus this will be the week that more of the offense is opened up. I look forward to that.

Congrats on the big Syracuse win.

OrangeUte
08-31-2014, 11:32 PM
Congrats on the big Syracuse win.

Funny guy.

sancho
09-01-2014, 08:02 AM
Funny guy.

Sorry.

Ma'ake
09-01-2014, 08:57 AM
I will make this prediction, unless we beat Fresno by 28 points, there will be a bunch of posters posting and believing that we won't win another game.

Completely agree with your post, but this point is concerning.

From a football Xs and Os standpoint, Fresno will bounce back on Saturday. They're not as bad as it appeared in the Coliseum.

(USC vs Fresno revealed just how much damage had been done to the USC team's psyche under the Kiffin regime, as much as anything. Right now Sarkesian has them believing, and class after class of stellar recruiting is apparent. Hopefully they'll get worn down by the time we play them, but on Saturday they looked like a Top 5 team.)

But to your point, back to back 5-7 seasons have battered some Ute fans' psyches, apparently, but to anyone who really understands football, there was significant improvement in 2013 over a more sobering 2012 (which could have also been a bowl season).

Football players and coaches are competitive people who are optimistic by nature, or they wouldn't be in those positions. I don't see a mismatch between this optimism and our talent level. I would hope there are some players who think we could win 8 or 9 games, but realistically, we're quite capable of 6 or maybe 7 wins, which would be a solid step up. Anyone who knows football can see the improvement in depth, the upgrade in speed.

Like any population, there are going to be "glass-half-empty" people in the fanbase. But, I think the solid majority of Ute fans are essentially bullish on the Utes, otherwise we wouldn't pack the stadium for Idaho State on a 5:30 pm Thursday kickoff.

This more hopeful core of fans can weather some adversity - the lack of abandonment in the past two years is a GREAT sign, in my book.

Between 2004, 2008 and getting in the PAC, we've picked up a bunch of solid fans who are more resilient. We made the transition from BCS busters to a more sobered up part of the PAC landscape, but the fans have largely stayed on board, impressively. (The naysayers are annoying as hell, though, without a doubt.)

USS Utah
09-01-2014, 11:12 AM
After the overtime loss to Oregon State, I jumped on the "fire Sitake" bandwagon. I am not making that mistake again. The defense got better throughout the season last year, and I'm sure we will see a similar improvement this year.

Applejack
09-01-2014, 01:57 PM
Throughout the year Fresno will play better and USC will play worse. Fresno has some good athletes who can challenge our players. The outcomes of the two games were my biggest fear. Fresno will be on a mission to prove that they are not that bad and will believe that this is the best opportunity to do that. I hope our players are smart enough to realize that Fresno is not that bad and that they will need to be better than they were against Idaho St. in order to convincingly beat Fresno. I will make this prediction, unless we beat Fresno by 28 points, there will be a bunch of posters posting and believing that we won't win another game.

This is a bit much. 28 points or people will be chicken-littleing? We're a 7 point favorite.

We only have one style-point game on the schedule and it ended last Thursday. From here on out it's all about the Ws.

Applejack
09-01-2014, 03:04 PM
I didn't watch the USC-Frezno game, but I am an avid reader of the Fresno Bee (http://www.fresnobee.com/2014/08/31/4098758_fresno-state-football-in-aftermath.html?rh=1).

It sounds as if our real challenge on defense will be stopping the run. Frezno's offensive line did a decent job against USC's really good defensive line- I'm hoping for a much better performance from the middle of our line on Saturday. Apparently, the Bulldogs are going to stick with the QB-by-committee approach. I fully endorse that decision, since it never works.

Diehard Ute
09-01-2014, 04:56 PM
This is a bit much. 28 points or people will be chicken-littleing? We're a 7 point favorite.

We only have one style-point game on the schedule and it ended last Thursday. From here on out it's all about the Ws.

Think it's jumped to 10.5 now

LA Ute
09-01-2014, 06:39 PM
Someone who listened to KW's presser today said it sounded like Dominique Hatfield will start at corner this week.

Diehard Ute
09-01-2014, 06:44 PM
Someone who listened to KW's presser today said it sounded like Dominique Hatfield will start at corner this week.

He's now the co-starter with Orphey and will concentrate more on CB than WR (but will still play both ways)

concerned
09-01-2014, 06:45 PM
He's now the co-starter with Orphey and will concentrate more on CB than WR (but will still play both ways)

And Tavarus Williams moved to cb fulltime.

DrumNFeather
09-03-2014, 06:55 AM
It is sounding more and more like Paul will be back sooner rather than later. He could even suit up this week and then play vs. Michigan. Can't wait to see this guy on the field.

Scratch
09-03-2014, 09:26 AM
By the way, good job with the "FresNO" reference.

Applejack
09-03-2014, 09:35 AM
It is sounding more and more like Paul will be back sooner rather than later. He could even suit up this week and then play vs. Michigan. Can't wait to see this guy on the field.

Boy, that seems fast. I really want him to play soon, but I want to make sure he's healthy first.

U-Ute
09-03-2014, 09:36 AM
Fresno's kicker left the team for a family emergency of some sort.

http://www.fresnobee.com/2014/09/02/4101370/fresno-state-football-bulldogs.html?sp=/99/330/

UTEopia
09-03-2014, 10:11 AM

Where are you seeing this? I was told that he has not yet practiced.

DrumNFeather
09-03-2014, 10:23 AM
Where are you seeing this? I was told that he has not yet practiced.

I think it was in the notes in the trib...

Gionni geared up » Utah junior linebacker Gionni Paul sat out last season after transferring from Miami.He doesn’t want to sit out anymore.
Coaches have hinted that Paul could be back as early as Fresno State after breaking his foot in spring camp, but there was no update Monday. If he’s not back against the Bulldogs, they expect him to return after the bye week for Utah’s matchup with Michigan in Ann Arbor.
"He was in the locker room before the last game, pumping everyone up," said fellow junior linebacker Jason Whittingham. "I felt last year what he’s feeling right now, with my injury to start off the season."

UTEopia
09-04-2014, 07:23 AM
Fresno is a good opponent, not a great opponent. I heard the PAC 12 Network commentator say that the majority of their starters would be able to play on PAC 12 rosters and I agree with that. He compared their talent to what we had the first year in the PAC 12 and I would say that with the exception of OL, where we started Bergstrom (NFL), Brenner (NFL practice squad), Stevens (NFL practice squad), ? and Cullen, he is probably correct. Given that, what I hope to see in addition to a solid win:

1. Defensive turnovers. It needs to start this week. Creating turnovers leads to creating more turnovers.
2. Defensive havoc. Gap control is necessary but I also want to see guys really flying around and getting after it.
3. Improvement in pass coverage. The Idaho St. QB was a pretty accurate passer against us and in the previous year. We need to be better!
4. Continuation of special teams being special. Can we do what we did last week against a team with equal athleticism?
5. Run the ball. To do this, we will need much better play from the OL. We cannot have our guards grade in the 60's and expect to beat many people.
6. Big plays. Tougher to create against better athletes. 6 plays over 25 or more.
7. Smart QB play. Wilson does not need to be great, but he does need to play smart. No bad decisions.

roseparkutes
09-04-2014, 09:40 AM
can Saturday get here faster?
BEAT Fresno

DrumNFeather
09-06-2014, 12:19 PM
Watching some of the pregame, Jake Plummer kind of looks like a homeless guy who won a contest to be on the show.

LA Ute
09-06-2014, 01:12 PM
Interesting that FSU challenged us long on 2 of their first 3 attemps.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-06-2014, 01:17 PM
Interesting that FSU challenged us long on 2 of their first 3 attemps.

Nice to see Thomas back. The one pass should have been offensive pass interference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LA Ute
09-06-2014, 01:30 PM
That's exactly what we want K. Scott to do. Go up and get that ball!

LA Ute
09-06-2014, 01:32 PM
Nice to see Thomas back. The one pass should have been offensive pass interference.

I'm not sure I understand the rule. I guess the FSU player was going for the ball?

LA Ute
09-06-2014, 01:41 PM
This is the game where we should get a pick or two or three.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-06-2014, 01:54 PM
Damn. This offensive line is going to kill us. Travis is scrambling every play and we can't even get a single yard push on a fourth down.

LA Ute
09-06-2014, 01:54 PM
Feeling a little lonely in here....

LA Ute
09-06-2014, 01:55 PM
Damn. This offensive line is going to kill us. Travis is scrambling every play and we can't even get a single yard push on a fourth down.

FSU's #77 is in our backfield a lot. Can't tell who he's beating.

LA Ute
09-06-2014, 02:00 PM
Connete is making a difference for FSU. Suddenly our tackling stinks.

sancho
09-06-2014, 02:01 PM

Yeah, he's taking some kits.

Everyone should have a running QB for when they face Utah.

LA Ute
09-06-2014, 02:02 PM
Linebackers not filling their gaps.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-06-2014, 02:08 PM
Linebackers not filling their gaps.

Yep. After negative yardage for the first quarter, and overall stellar effort, the defense looked confused that last series.

Man. Travis needs to make that throw when Dres has a step on his guy. That was a sure six.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-06-2014, 02:12 PM
This is redundant, but these commentators are awful x2.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-06-2014, 02:18 PM
Ugh. Seeing Clay on the table after that bullshit hit.

DrumNFeather
09-06-2014, 02:35 PM
What a first half!

LA Ute
09-06-2014, 03:04 PM
I love the 3-headed monster we have in Dres, Scott and a Tonga. What a change from last season.

LA Ute
09-06-2014, 03:11 PM
First half stats

Mormon Red Death
09-06-2014, 03:14 PM
Andre has gotten older

Mormon Red Death
09-06-2014, 03:18 PM
Are you guys getting tech difficulties or is it just online?

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-06-2014, 03:25 PM
Curse of Wyoming! 😡

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-06-2014, 03:28 PM
Are you guys getting tech difficulties or is it just online?

Apparently there was a power outage at the stadium.

DrumNFeather
09-06-2014, 03:36 PM
Apparently there was a power outage at the stadium.

It seems to be impacting the Fresno St. Offense

Hot Lunch
09-06-2014, 04:00 PM
I have loved most of the things I have seen so far. The one thing I am still disappointed in is our O line. We still don't get any push and we allowed to many shots on Travis in the first half. We need to get that fixed.

UtahsMrSports
09-06-2014, 05:00 PM
Great win, still a lot to clean up. This offense is very good. If the oline hits a stride, wow.

justaute
09-06-2014, 05:10 PM
Yup.

I have loved most of the things I have seen so far. The one thing I am still disappointed in is our O line. We still don't get any push and we allowed to many shots on Travis in the first half. We need to get that fixed.

DrumNFeather
09-06-2014, 05:13 PM
Well, Travis can't run that much and take that many shots and make it through the season either.

Diehard Ute
09-06-2014, 05:37 PM
Salt missed most of the game with an unknown injury. Aiono went out before halftime

LA Ute
09-06-2014, 06:53 PM
Hackett will ensure that barring turnovers, we will give our opponents very few short fields this season. Gotta love that.

DrumNFeather
09-06-2014, 06:59 PM
Hackett will ensure that barring turnovers, we will give our opponents very few short fields this season. Gotta love that.
As I said to UD during the game, he looks like a guy who's got a party going on in his head at all times. He's a serious weapon.

Hot Lunch
09-06-2014, 09:07 PM
Did we get a report on Clay's injury or is it not season ending so we aren't going to talk about it? Any other injuries today?

I have to say that some of Whit's rules with the media are pretty lame.

sancho
09-06-2014, 09:15 PM
I have to say that some of Whit's rules with the media are pretty lame.

I love coaches who mess with the media. The whiny, gripey is fun to watch. But it usually ends poorly for the coach. Media are very protective of each other, and they never forget a slight, real or perceived.

UtahsMrSports
09-07-2014, 12:39 AM
I just want to say that Idaho St gained over 400 yards on Utah St today. And the aggies only won by 20.

Applejack
09-07-2014, 11:48 AM
Great game yesterday. I turned it off at halftime because it was boring-I love boring games!

The three main receivers are great. We're going to throw on a lot of teams this year. I agree with hotlunch and others that the o line still looks suspect. Travis won't survive the year taking that many shots. We get very litlle push in the run game. I'm hoping that the salt/aiono things are temporary and that their presence fixes the problem.

Special teams is going to win us a game this year. Any word on clay?

Lastly, great adjustments on d. The dline looked reborn. I'm not sure what they did there, but it worked. As for dbs, Thomas and Hatfield are going to put orphey out of a job. Nice to have good, young, short dbs.

NorthwestUteFan
09-07-2014, 01:43 PM
13 points are in Rowe for being out of position. Those points made me mad.

D line were FLYING to the ball. I loved what I saw there. Our LBs looked revitalized somewhat.

The Oh-Fense (in the Rick Majerus sense of the word) looked exciting. I love having so many quick, strong, and sure-handed receivers on the field. Add in the solid rushing efforts including some impressive running by the QBs and we appear to have ourselves a nice team this year. Even our 'role player' receivers this year are better than some starters last year.

Salt is a monster on the line and we need him back for Michigan.

USS Utah
09-07-2014, 04:43 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t4GHj59sKc&list=UUOZJeIxFaGm9-czFb9t59PQ

Solon
09-07-2014, 07:28 PM
Did we get a report on Clay's injury or is it not season ending so we aren't going to talk about it? Any other injuries today?

I think Clay was out to receive FSU's kickoff in the 2nd quarter, pretty soon after the injury, but the kick went out of bounds. I have the thing recorded - I'll double-check later.
On TV, the trainer was clearly wrapping Clay's ankle.

The defense has a few soft spots, but I thought Rowe made some nice plays as a squat corner against the run.

Diehard Ute
09-07-2014, 07:31 PM
I think Clay was out to receive FSU's kickoff in the 2nd quarter, pretty soon after the injury, but the kick went out of bounds. I have the thing recorded - I'll double-check later.
On TV, the trainer was clearly wrapping Clay's ankle.

The defense has a few soft spots, but I thought Rowe made some nice plays as a squat corner against the run.

Pretty sure Clay was in a boot at the end of the game (so was Salt), Aiono was walking with crutches in his hand but not using them except as swinging sticks.

Now days boots don't mean much, they're used as a precautionary treatment a lot more, and Kyle seemed to hint that the week off would help with the "bumps and bruises"

concerned
09-07-2014, 09:15 PM
Clay definitely came back in and called fair catch on a punt in the second half after his injury.

U-Ute
09-09-2014, 12:35 PM
Whittingham 9/8 press conference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71WiTWrlcao

U-Ute
09-09-2014, 01:10 PM
Crimson Corner from KSL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUYkrQ3nGks