PDA

View Full Version : WR thoughts after Game One

Ma'ake
09-01-2014, 09:26 AM
A-Rod is coaching the QBs, Stubblefield looks like a very nice addition as WR coach, and DC's imprint is yet to be fully manifested as the offense develops, but we certainly appear to have some nice WR depth.

Last year we had the big WRs Fitzgerald and Denham, who were a bit "deficient" in the speed & quickness category. This year we have a proven talent in Dres, who was also voted to be a captain. My hunch is the added leadership responsibilities will drive Dres to tighten up the weak spot in his game, dropping catchable balls.

Nice to see Ken Scott make it through the first game, and hopefully he stays healthy and provides a big WR body who is definitely more athletic than Fitz or Denham, with a lion's heart to go with it.

Tim Patrick looks promising, but unproven, McClellon is a year more mature and he's a jet, Kaelin Clay is an obvious talent who still needs to absorb the playbook.

Depending on how things go, I can see Dominique Hatfield being a serious X factor, perhaps at both corner and WR. Very limited snaps last year as a true freshman, but in the spring it was apparent Domo has the heart of a lion, he's a warrior, and it's evident very early he's a serious leader, even as a Soph. Clay's remarks that Domo is his big brother, even though he's three years younger, reveal a player who can magnify his contribution beyond his own role in the Xs and Os.

He's a fighter, he's a leader, his story coming out of the hood is compelling, and he's talented enough, with enough upside as a player (and a leader) to cause a serious tug-of-war between the offensive and defensive coaches, and Whitt being impressed enough to let the 2-way player idea play out, which is saying a lot. Hard to say how things will go here, but this kid is positioned to lead other younger, emerging players on both sides of the ball, even if it's just setting the warrior example and being a positive vocal presence.

UTEopia
09-01-2014, 11:00 AM
The main thing I took away from game 1 is that they got good production from Tonga, which makes it more likely that they will stick with primarily 3 WR sets. I believe that as Clay and Patrick get more involved and Kenric Young as well, that Hatfield will shift over to DB full-time. The way practice works, it is very hard to get him the reps he needs at CB and still keep him involved at WR.

I may be wrong, but I don't think we saw any motions or shifts with the WR's against Idaho St.. I bet we see some of that stuff this week and those are the things that take practice time.

Ma'ake
09-01-2014, 11:48 AM
Good point on the practice time challenge of having a two-way player. Offenses & defenses are getting so sophisticated it's hard to cover both.

Tonga looked really good. Siale didn't show well, but he showed solid potential, last year. Good news on Evan Moeai, if it really did turn out to just be a hyper-extension, although it looks like he won't be depended upon much, this year.

We didn't show much of the playbook, which should be a net advantage for us, in DC vs a pretty experienced Fresno D with good coaching.

There has been enough time passed since Dave Schramm was here, and enough wrinkles off our base 4-3 that whatever advantage he may have had in knowing our defensive coaches and their tendencies has diminished... I would hope. Three years of PAC offenses has forced Sitake to evolve, in addition to the normal evolution of football, in general.

Applejack
09-01-2014, 01:24 PM
Frankly, I didn't learn much about our WRs in the Idaho State game other than Dres is good, which I already knew. I wanted to see more out of K Scott. I think we have a great Big Three with Scott, Dres, and Tonga. I'm not sure what we have after that.

But, I would like to see Clay get the ball on some non-double-reverse plays.

SigmaUte
09-02-2014, 09:42 AM
But, I would like to see Clay get the ball on some non-double-reverse plays.

I would expect to see this kind of play ran, as we have in the past, with our fastest WR(s). I know last year we ran it a few times with Dres, but I would like to see Kaelin or Kenric run it. Both are blazing fast.

UTEopia
09-02-2014, 10:02 AM
I would expect to see this kind of play ran, as we have in the past, with our fastest WR(s). I know last year we ran it a few times with Dres, but I would like to see Kaelin or Kenric run it. Both are blazing fast.

I am sure we will run that sort of stuff. I don't think we ran any type of motion the other night and I know we have worked on it quite a bit.

Diehard Ute
09-02-2014, 11:04 AM
I am sure we will run that sort of stuff. I don't think we ran any type of motion the other night and I know we have worked on it quite a bit.

Based on TW comments after the game, it sounded as if we used very little of the playbook.

jrj84105
09-02-2014, 01:33 PM
Yeah- the lack of motion/misdirection was very evident. The only chance we have of losing this game is for TW to go on an interception spree courtesy of Derron Smith. The rest of their DBs are bad and give a huge cushion. I hope we isolate Dres on the short side of the field to commit Derron to that side then just bubble screen the far side of the field all day. We still wouldn't have to show all our playbook.

Utah
09-03-2014, 04:59 PM
I think we will see a little more this weekend, but I also this Utah hopes they get up big and shut it down in the second half. Try to score 24 in the first half, get Poole and Booker 100 yards each in the second.

I think Michigan we will see what this offense can do.