PDA

View Full Version : Official Michigan Game Thread

SigmaUte
09-07-2014, 07:40 PM
Well now that the Fresno State game is in the books I figured now is as good as anytime to start a thread for the Michigan game. If that is okay with the moderators

I'm glad we have a bye-week before heading to Michigan. This game is huge for both teams. It could be the launching point for a very successful season for this Utah team.

It is hard to get a full grasp of what this Michigan team is, but after the ND game it is very apparent they are vulnerable.

Player to watch on Michigan: No. 1 Devon Funchess, 6 ft 5 in, 235 lbs.

Devon appears to have it all, size, speed, and big play making ability. He is essentially their Dres Anderson. The secondary is going to have to improve if they plan to stop him, particulary Rowe.

Jarid in Cedar
09-07-2014, 10:19 PM
Funchess also left ND stadium in a boot, fwiw

NorthwestUteFan
09-07-2014, 10:30 PM
Michigan appears to have some weaknesses in the line, both Offense and Defense. This works to our strengths.

Our troubles in the secondary concern me. We have two weeks to train our corners to tackle the OTHER guys, and not their teammates.

I sincerely hope Clay is back
We need him. Ditto Jr Salt. If Wilson gets solid protection and the line can blast holes for our running game, then I like our chances.

Diehard Ute
09-08-2014, 05:10 AM
Michigan appears to have some weaknesses in the line, both Offense and Defense. This works to our strengths.

Our troubles in the secondary concern me. We have two weeks to train our corners to tackle the OTHER guys, and not their teammates.

I sincerely hope Clay is back
We need him. Ditto Jr Salt. If Wilson gets solid protection and the line can blast holes for our running game, then I like our chances.

First string db's played well IMO.

3/4 of Fresno's yards came against the backups. Now they obviously need to improve, but I thought our first string guys played pretty well (a couple bonehead plays by Rowe excluded)

Applejack
09-08-2014, 08:03 AM
First string db's played well IMO.

3/4 of Fresno's yards came against the backups. Now they obviously need to improve, but I thought our first string guys played pretty well (a couple bonehead plays by Rowe excluded)

I agree with Diehard. For as bad as the DBs and D-line looked against ISU, you have to give them a ton of credit for really improving in week 2. The healthy LBs are still what they are - solid and unspectacular. The real improvement that has to occur from Week 2 to Week 4 is in the offensive line. If they continue to get pushed around on pash protection and stuffed on 4th and short, we will lose. If we can give Travis time to throw and open up a little space for BookerPoole, I like our chances.

LA Ute
09-08-2014, 12:29 PM
And...we are all looking forward to the debut of Gionni Paul.

SigmaUte
09-08-2014, 05:26 PM
Funchess also left ND stadium in a boot, fwiw

He has two weeks to recover. Not to mention Clay was also in a boot, but I would expect him to play against Michigan.

Michigan's biggest weakness is their offensive line and with the way Utah's front 7 have played, with addition to Paul, I would be very worried were I a Michigan fan. Utah leads the Nation in TFL & is in the top 5 in sacks.

midnight shift
09-08-2014, 09:16 PM
I am looking forward to seeing what Gionni Paul can do. Also, is it just me or does it seem that Blechen is somewhat of a non factor so far. First road game of the year and this should show how far the Utes have improved over the last few years.

roseparkutes
09-09-2014, 09:52 AM
the addition of Paul should be huge. Michigan OL is crap, our dline should have a filed day. I cant wait to be singing UTAH MAN in the big house.

Applejack
09-09-2014, 11:35 AM
the addition of Paul should be huge. Michigan OL is crap, our dline should have a filed day. I cant wait to be singing UTAH MAN in the big house.

I'll be singing with you! Is Paul back for sure? I haven't seen much beyond conjecture.

U-Ute
09-09-2014, 12:33 PM
I'll be singing with you! Is Paul back for sure? I haven't seen much beyond conjecture.

Nothing official.

Whittingham was asked about that yesterday, and he basically said it is possible, but we have to wait and see.

The fact he didn't say "no" is very encouraging to me.

SoCalPat
09-09-2014, 04:10 PM
Hyped that this game is on a channel we actually broadcast here at work. I think it will go a long way in determining if we're ESPN/FS1 material for the rest of the season, or if we're relegated to P-12 Nets.

I don't think anything will keep us from being on P-12 Nets for the Wazzu game, but a 4-0 start would probably guarantee the next month's worth of games would be ESPN/FS1 broadcasts.

SigmaUte
09-09-2014, 04:25 PM
Hyped that this game is on a channel we actually broadcast here at work. I think it will go a long way in determining if we're ESPN/FS1 material for the rest of the season, or if we're relegated to P-12 Nets.

I don't think anything will keep us from being on P-12 Nets for the Wazzu game, but a 4-0 start would probably guarantee the next month's worth of games would be ESPN/FS1 broadcasts.

The Oregon State game is already slated for FoxSports 1. IIRC it was one of their first college football games and it turned out to be a very, very good game. That said, not only does our play factor into us being on tv, but those of our opponents as well. It is likely that the UCLA, USC, Oregon, and Stanford game are all televised nationally.

concerned
09-09-2014, 04:30 PM
Is the Michigan game a national telecast? I thought I read it is ABC Regional.

The OSU game is on Thursday; those games are never on the Pac network are they?

SigmaUte
09-09-2014, 04:33 PM

It will be on ESPN2 or regional ABC

SoCalPat
09-09-2014, 05:20 PM

ABC Regional/ESPN2 broadcasts are what are known as "reverse mirror" broadcasts. This is where Utah-Michigan falls under. The other broadcast is Texas A&M-SMU. My guess is it will be ABC Regional in SLC, Detroit and in the Pac-12/Big 10 states, but on ESPN2 everywhere else (everywhere south of the Mason-Dixon line).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_mirror

DrumNFeather
09-11-2014, 09:57 AM
It will be interesting to see how Michigan looks this week...if they don't respond well vs. Miami (OH), then it will probably spell the beginning of the end for Hoke...and perhaps we'll be another nail in that coffin.

SoCalPat
09-11-2014, 10:46 AM
It will be interesting to see how Michigan looks this week...if they don't respond well vs. Miami (OH), then it will probably spell the beginning of the end for Hoke...and perhaps we'll be another nail in that coffin.

If we blow out Michigan, it's 25-75 he doesn't coach the next game. If we shut them out (again), it's 75-25. Maybe higher. If Miami shuts out Michigan, we might not see Hoke.

If Michigan wins, they'll probably get to 7-8 wins in a weak Big 10, and UM can reassess after the season. FWIW, Hoke is 11th in the rankings at coacheshotseat.com.

Which is too bad, because you can't ignore what he did at Ball State and SDSU -- programs with far more inherent disadvantages than Michigan; the university president at Ball State openly loathed football and it took a lot for her to bite her tongue when Ball State got off to an 11-0 start in 2008 -- and say the man cannot coach. Hoke very well could travel the road at UM that Boylen did at Utah -- a wildly successful coach who did everything he could and the necessary support to succeed, but didn't. Lots of great coaches have that one stop where nothing goes right. Hell, Scotty Bowman won more Stanley Cups than any other coach, but in Buffalo, he led the franchise to the No. 1 pick in the draft by the end of his tenure. (Funny thing is, Scotty still lives in Buffalo and loves it there.) But sometimes, for whatever reason, the plan is unable to be executed.

Brian
09-11-2014, 11:44 AM
I didn't watch the game, but I had heard that Michigan's run defense was pretty stout. Stats bear this out as ND had 50 yards rushing on them. Passing was 226, not a lot....

Stats don't look like a blowout. But with 4 TOs, it didn't need to. What was the story of this game last week?

Will be watching this week's game with interest...

Applejack
09-12-2014, 11:23 AM
I didn't watch the game, but I had heard that Michigan's run defense was pretty stout. Stats bear this out as ND had 50 yards rushing on them. Passing was 226, not a lot....

Stats don't look like a blowout. But with 4 TOs, it didn't need to. What was the story of this game last week?

Will be watching this week's game with interest...

I just want to officially declare this week's game a MUST WIN GAME.

If we win, I like our chances of going bowling. We would need three conference wins (which is easier said than done), but with Colorado and WSU on the slate, we can do it.

If we lose, I think we're more likely to spend December looking at the marvelous ZCMI candy windows than in a bowl game.

Utah
09-12-2014, 11:26 AM
I don't know about "must" win. Winning would be amazing towards our goal, but we can win these games:

ASU
Arizona
OSU
WSU
Colorado
Michigan

We need to go 4-2 in those games.

That being said, I rather put that list up next Sunday minus Michigan saying we need to go 3-2 in the remaining ones. Ha ha.

Applejack
09-12-2014, 11:32 AM
I don't know about "must" win. Winning would be amazing towards our goal, but we can win these games:

ASU
Arizona
OSU
WSU
Colorado
Michigan

We need to go 4-2 in those games.

That being said, I rather put that list up next Sunday minus Michigan saying we need to go 3-2 in the remaining ones. Ha ha.

We agree! I think we can go 3-2 against ASU, UofA, OSU, WSU, Buffs. I'm not sure we will go 4-1 against them.

Utah
09-12-2014, 11:50 AM
We agree! I think we can go 3-2 against ASU, UofA, OSU, WSU, Buffs. I'm not sure we will go 4-1 against them.

Good point. That 4-1 looks daunting.

Scorcho
09-12-2014, 12:11 PM
maybe Michigan isn't that bad, and Notre Dame is just that good?

I base this off the last time Michigan was shutout (in 1984) they played for the National Championship. :)

U-Ute
09-12-2014, 01:18 PM
I just want to officially declare this week's game a MUST WIN GAME.

If we win, I like our chances of going bowling. We would need three conference wins (which is easier said than done), but with Colorado and WSU on the slate, we can do it.

If we lose, I think we're more likely to spend December looking at the marvelous ZCMI candy windows than in a bowl game.

I don't know about "must win", but I think this game will be a big predictor of how we will fare in conference play. Especially on the road. If we're going to win any road games that we have a chance in (@ASU, @CU, @OSU), we will know it after this game.

Applejack
09-12-2014, 01:21 PM
here are highlights from our last visit to the BIG HAUS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t66WM9vj0QE

I remember thinking after this game, "We've got a hell of a defense, but I'm not sure we can score points."

Utah
09-12-2014, 04:26 PM
This year might be different. We will think, "we've got a hell of an offense, but can we get key stops?"

Ma'ake
09-13-2014, 10:42 AM
A quick start is essential, in this game. Michigan will probably demolish Miami-OH today, which will satisfy nobody, and if we can get a good jump on them, I think they'll sag, and Brady Hoke will look like a 3 year old on the can with a 3 day "movement" in process.

I ready on some web site Michigan had a bunch of recruits at their game at South Bend. Ooops. The sheer gravity of expectations in Ann Arbor is a very, very large problem, in and of itself.

Utah
09-13-2014, 10:49 AM
A quick start is essential, in this game. Michigan will probably demolish Miami-OH today, which will satisfy nobody, and if we can get a good jump on them, I think they'll sag, and Brady Hoke will look like a 3 year old on the can with a 3 day "movement" in process.

I ready on some web site Michigan had a bunch of recruits at their game at South Bend. Ooops. The sheer gravity of expectations in Ann Arbor is a very, very large problem, in and of itself.

You are spot on. I heard a Michigan radio guy say that Michigan players have been looking "down" at Utah all summer long. He said that these players feel because they are "Michigan" players, they are bigger, faster, stronger. He said that these players don't realize how big Utah is and that Utah's OL and DL are SEC big (which has been echoed by David Shaw and Slick Rick) and if our edges have gotten faster like he was reading, he was worried Utah would come out and the players wouldn't be ready for us and put Michigan away early.

We need to Alabama these guys and they will quit on Hoke pretty quick.

Mormon Red Death
09-13-2014, 10:49 AM
Espn is now saying 3:30 pm est start

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

DrumNFeather
09-13-2014, 02:11 PM
Funchess went on the field to celebrate their first score and limped off...possibly tweaking his injured leg.

Ma'ake
09-13-2014, 04:04 PM
I'd be really interested in what TCU insiders think of their program a few years after their promotion, but in my experience, Utah is noticeably deeper in every position, the overall speed is better. This team would mow through a MWC schedule like a machete.

One thing that's really interesting is our interior DL all seem significantly lighter, quicker, I'm sure a response to the lighter OL throughout the league (in the Oregon mold). Things change when we go up against Stanford and SC, but most of our league is lighter, finesse O-linemen.

Applejack
09-14-2014, 08:24 PM
Vegas has the Utes as a touchdown underdog. That sounds about right.

Utah
09-14-2014, 08:58 PM
Yeah. It does seem right. Michigan gives the ball up a lot. Utah never takes the ball from anyone. If we don't get TO's, it will be very close.

Applejack
09-14-2014, 09:01 PM
Yeah. It does seem right. Michigan gives the ball up a lot. Utah never takes the ball from anyone. If we don't get TO's, it will be very close.

Plus, there is nothing impressive yet about either team's resume:

1. Michigan has beaten up on Appalachian State (whoop), and Miami of Ohio (yay), and been stomped by Notre Dame.
2. Utah has beaten up on Idaho State (whoop) and a really bad Fresno team.

Without knowing who these teams really are, you have to give the benefit of the doubt to the home team.

DrumNFeather
09-14-2014, 09:05 PM
I wouldn't call this a MUST win...but I feel like it's a can't lose either. So for me it's a "really gotta find a way to win."

Hopefully the timing of the bye helps us come out firing.

Hot Lunch
09-14-2014, 09:42 PM
I wouldn't call this a MUST win...but I feel like it's a can't lose either. So for me it's a "really gotta find a way to win."

Hopefully the timing of the bye helps us come out firing.

I will call it a must win. We have a down Michigan team and the strength of our schedule starting in 3 weeks. Some of the teams aren't looking as dominate as we thought at the beginning of the season but it is going to be tough. I think we have to come out of Ann Arbor with a W.

Utah
09-14-2014, 09:43 PM
Plus, there is nothing impressive yet about either team's resume:

1. Michigan has beaten up on Appalachian State (whoop), and Miami of Ohio (yay), and been stomped by Notre Dame.
2. Utah has beaten up on Idaho State (whoop) and a really bad Fresno team.

Without knowing who these teams really are, you have to give the benefit of the doubt to the home team.

Yeah. Utah, Michigan and Notre Dame all beat up their mid-major/FCS opponents fairly similarly. Yet, Notre Dame destroyed Michigan. I hope Utah will win. I think Utah will win. I think Utah is very good and much better than the last two years. YET, who knows what will happen this week. Utah can win. Michigan can win.

All in all, this is why I LOVE where we are. Every week is a HUGE week.

hostile
09-14-2014, 09:54 PM
I will call it a must win. We have a down Michigan team and the strength of our schedule starting in 3 weeks. Some of the teams aren't looking as dominate as we thought at the beginning of the season but it is going to be tough. I think we have to come out of Ann Arbor with a W.

My thoughts as well.

justaute
09-14-2014, 11:52 PM
Oh great...got away from UFN to read more sane, logical postings here. Alas, good fortune does not last.

U-Ute
09-15-2014, 09:51 AM

My fleeting optimism for 7 wins will be dashed and revised down to 6 if we lose. Down to 5 wins if we lose by more than a TD.

-Matt

DrumNFeather
09-15-2014, 10:13 AM

I guess where I'm coming from here is that we're still so early in the season that we could potentially overcome a loss at Michigan. I believe most of us would've taken a 3-1 record in our first four with wins over ISU, Fresno, and Wazzu. The problem now is that Michigan has performed so poorly that a loss on the road will spell doom (In a lot of people's eyes - which, again, I don't fully buy). So that is why I label it as a "gotta find a way to win" game - semantics, right?

I believe the wins are out there on our schedule for us to see the post-season no matter what happens this weekend, but of course the march to 6 is made easier with a win in the big house.

wally
09-15-2014, 11:07 AM

I'm with HL. I hear what DnF is saying about it not TOTALLY dooming the postseason hopes, but after 2 weeks of game prep, and time to get bodies healed, to go into Michigan and lose would be a psychological killer. Especially to Michigan team that looks down right now.

sancho
09-15-2014, 11:34 AM
The bowl plan has always been (and still is)

1) Beat ISU, @CU (so far, so good)

2) 3 of 4 vs FSU, WSU, @OSU, Arizona (so far, so good)

3) Take 1 from @Mich, USC, @ASU, @UCLA, Oregon, @Stanford.

So, no, it's not a must win as far as bowl hopes go. Next week's game is more of a must win than this one.

roseparkutes
09-15-2014, 11:57 AM
a 3-0 start would be great. I think we can do it. come out and play hard nose football. cant wait to be signing Utah man at the big house

UtahsMrSports
09-15-2014, 01:22 PM
The Michigan press release is out. Most interesting to me are the changes at linebacker. With Jason Whittingham likely on the shelf for a while (if not the rest of the year), Gionni Paul gets the start in the middle right off the bat. Also, as others have mentioned, when we go to a base 4-3, it looks like Orchard will be at the stud spot. I expect that the vast majority of the time this season, we will only have two linebackers on the field and at the moment, it looks like Norris and Paul will get the majority of those reps (Lets pray they stay healthy).

The only other change I noticed was that Kaelin Clay has taken over for Delshawn the Roadrunner as the starter in the "The Ball Never Comes My Way, But Its Cool That I Get My Name Down As A Starter!" receiver position.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/utah/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2014-15/release/release_20140915aaa.pdf

Applejack
09-15-2014, 03:12 PM
The Michigan press release is out. Most interesting to me are the changes at linebacker. With Jason Whittingham likely on the shelf for a while (if not the rest of the year), Gionni Paul gets the start in the middle right off the bat. Also, as others have mentioned, when we go to a base 4-3, it looks like Orchard will be at the stud spot. I expect that the vast majority of the time this season, we will only have two linebackers on the field and at the moment, it looks like Norris and Paul will get the majority of those reps (Lets pray they stay healthy).

The only other change I noticed was that Kaelin Clay has taken over for Delshawn the Roadrunner as the starter in the "The Ball Never Comes My Way, But Its Cool That I Get My Name Down As A Starter!" receiver position.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/utah/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2014-15/release/release_20140915aaa.pdf

Whittingham is down!?!??!! You are the bearer of bad news, MyUtahSports!

Man, depth is a killer.

Solon
09-15-2014, 04:30 PM

Man, depth is a killer.

I think that the Utes are going to roll on Saturday.

Michigan is in turmoil after the ND loss - some voices in the crowd are clamoring for Hoke's head. (WARNING - Language: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fire-Brady-Hoke/447174595319438).

Historically, Whittingham's teams have been pretty good coming out of bye-weeks. Overall, Whit is 6-3 coming out of a bye. Granted, those 3 losses are the last 3 years, but 2012 was a pretty good effort vs a darn good USC team (Utah went up 14-0, and SC led 24-21 after 3 quarters), and last year was the Interception Bowl vs UCLA (a pretty winnable game if Wilson only throws, say, 5 INTs). I think this year's Michigan team is a step down from those opponents, and the Utes are better this year. The only real dud was vs. Washington in 2011, and that was the game where we lost Wynn for the season and were introduced to the Jon Hays era, otherwise referred to as "the starving time."

I've seen the Utes play twice in the Big House. In 2002, we were a Lance Rice pass or two away from a win vs. a ranked Michigan team. The other was the opener of that improbable '08 season.

I would love to see a result similar to Utah's game vs. Iowa State in 2010 (also after a bye week). The Utes rolled the Cyclones 68-27.
Also, the famous 50-0 Wyoming-is-burning-Joe-Glenn-flip-the-bird game was coming out of a bye week.

Take it to the bank!

UtahsMrSports
09-15-2014, 09:24 PM

Man, depth is a killer.

I apologize for the role I have taken on, OrangeJohn. I was thinking about how our linebacking core turned out like this.....

-VJ Fehoko and LT Filiaga were not as good as we thought they would be.
-Reshawn Hooker retired.
-Just to fill out the depth chart, we had to move a defensive end (Pita) and a running back (Sanders-Williams).

Hopefully (knock on wood) we can get Hale and Whittingham back soon-ish and everyone else stays healthy.

Utah
09-15-2014, 09:35 PM
I was so hopeful for Hooker. That story was a tragedy. He would have been perfect for us this year. Fast LBer...dang.

Devildog
09-16-2014, 12:29 AM
Utah wins at Michigan... period. Quote me.

OrangeUte
09-16-2014, 08:17 AM
Utah wins at Michigan... period. Quote me.

Done. I believe this too.

Brian
09-16-2014, 08:20 AM
"Utah wins at Michigan."
-Devildog

DrumNFeather
09-16-2014, 09:48 AM
Hoke and Whittingham - Reunited and it might not feel so good for the losing coach: http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id/77001/whittingham-hoke-reunite-in-ann-arbor

Utah
09-16-2014, 10:17 AM
Funniest line from the article:

"However, after beating up on FCS teams, BYU and Mountain West teams the last three years in nonconference play, this is Utah's biggest non-league test since joining the Pac-12."

Utah
09-16-2014, 10:21 AM
Another classic:

"Both coaches concede the obvious -- that the weekly grind in the Power 5 is significantly harder. In the Mountain West, Utah's season usually came down to one big game against TCU. This year they face a four-game stretch of USC, at ASU, Oregon and at Stanford -- four teams currently ranked in the AP top 20."

Mormon Red Death
09-16-2014, 11:24 AM

"However, after beating up on FCS teams, BYU and Mountain West teams the last three years in nonconference play, this is Utah's biggest non-league test since joining the Pac-12."

Its funny cause its true.

LA Ute
09-16-2014, 11:40 AM
Another classic:

"Both coaches concede the obvious -- that the weekly grind in the Power 5 is significantly harder. In the Mountain West, Utah's season usually came down to one big game against TCU. This year they face a four-game stretch of USC, at ASU, Oregon and at Stanford -- four teams currently ranked in the AP top 20."

That one is an overstatement as far as our prior schedule is concerned, but it's basically true. However, it's kind of ironic in light of the other statement below.

It's arguably true but it assumes this year's Michigan is as good as Georgia Tech in 2011. I'm not so sure about that. The point is, our conference games are pretty good tests as it is (the point made in the quote above, in the same article).

EutawStUtesFan
09-16-2014, 12:04 PM
I like our chances, but one game sticks in the back of my head, the 2010 Utah (8-1) vs Notre Dame (4-5) game. The talk I hear about Utah and Michigan is similar to what I heard about Utah and Notre Dame (Utah expected to beat a down Notre Dame team) and we went into South Bend and fell flat on our faces. I know the talent we have now is a lot better than the 2010 team so I am cautiously optimistic that Utah will win.

concerned
09-16-2014, 12:18 PM
I like our chances, but one game sticks in the back of my head, the 2010 Utah (8-1) vs Notre Dame (4-5) game. The talk I hear about Utah and Michigan is similar to what I heard about Utah and Notre Dame (Utah expected to beat a down Notre Dame team) and we went into South Bend and fell flat on our faces. I know the talent we have now is a lot better than the 2010 team so I am cautiously optimistic that Utah will win.

I had the same thought, but ND was right after we got crushed by TCU and we never recovered. UCLA in 2006 might be a good indicator, talk was also the same.

Is that Eutaw St in Baltimore? When I lived there, I used to chuckle at the spelling every time I saw a street sign.

EutawStUtesFan
09-16-2014, 12:33 PM
Is that Eutaw St in Baltimore? When I lived there, I used to chuckle at the spelling every time I saw a street sign. Yup, Eutaw St at Camden Yards.

jrj84105
09-16-2014, 02:45 PM

Going into that ND game I was worried that we'd be revealed to be as weak as I feared. Going into Michigan, I'm anxious to be revealed as being as good as I hope.

Applejack
09-16-2014, 02:52 PM
Going into that ND game I was worried that we'd be revealed to be as weak as I feared. Going into Michigan, I'm anxious to be revealed as being as good as I hope.

That Notre Dame game revealed 2010 Utah as a paper tiger. This year's squad is not any sort of tiger yet, because we haven't beaten anybody (did anyone see the Fresno-Nebraska score last week? Yikes!). Now, that doesn't mean we aren't good; it just means we are unproven. I'm really hoping for a win, but I think people are down on Michigan more than they ought to be and high on Utah with no proof of greatness.

Saturday is going to be wild!

SigmaUte
09-16-2014, 02:55 PM

I think the big difference here is that in 2010 we were playing an injured QB (something we didn't find out until later that year) and were coming off a embarrassing loss on National TV to TCU that really shook the team's spirits. The 2010 team wasn't that great either. They struggled too look good against bad teams. After the Iowa State game (the game Wynn initially injured his shoulder) the offense went down hill and never recovered.

This team is talented from top to bottom and has done what it was supposed to do against bad teams. It's at the beginning of the season as opposed to at the end so the team should be relatively healthy. Michigan is going to get %100 of what this team has to offer. Notre Dame faced a weakened, injured, and dispirited team on a rainy mucky field no less.

2014 Utah Utes >2013 Utes > 2011 Utes > 2012 Utes > 2010 for the record.

SoCalPat
09-16-2014, 03:17 PM
I think the big difference here is that in 2010 we were playing an injured QB (something we didn't find out until later that year) and were coming off a embarrassing loss on National TV to TCU that really shook the team's spirits. The 2010 team wasn't that great either. They struggled too look good against bad teams. After the Iowa State game (the game Wynn initially injured his shoulder) the offense went down hill and never recovered.

This team is talented from top to bottom and has done what it was supposed to do against bad teams. It's at the beginning of the season as opposed to at the end so the team should be relatively healthy. Michigan is going to get %100 of what this team has to offer. Notre Dame faced a weakened, injured, and dispirited team on a rainy mucky field no less.

2014 Utah Utes >2013 Utes > 2011 Utes > 2012 Utes > 2010 for the record.

Don't agree at all the 2010 team is the worst of the five you mentioned. That team flat-out crushed fools until Wynn's shoulder went south. There was a reason we were ranked as high as No. 5 in the country. That 2010 team (in 2009) also took eventual Rose Bowl champ Oregon to the wire in Eugene and crushed a good Cal team in the Poinsettia Bowl. In a midseason game, the 2010 Utes steamroll the 2011-12 editions.

SigmaUte
09-16-2014, 03:52 PM
Don't agree at all the 2010 team is the worst of the five you mentioned. That team flat-out crushed fools until Wynn's shoulder went south. There was a reason we were ranked as high as No. 5 in the country. That 2010 team (in 2009) also took eventual Rose Bowl champ Oregon to the wire in Eugene and crushed a good Cal team in the Poinsettia Bowl. In a midseason game, the 2010 Utes steamroll the 2011-12 editions.

I'm not talking about the 2009 team. Using their wins or almost wins to strengthen the argument for the 2010 team would be like using 2011 team to describe the 2012 team. They aren't the same team regardless of who may have played both years. As for the #5 ranking, Utah was obviously overrated when they played TCU. Maybe they deserved to be ranked, but they certainly didn't after the season was done. As someone else said that 2010 team was a "Paper Tiger".

I suppose they are tough to compare, because the 2010 teams SOS was horrendous and since then all of the Utes teams have been more plagued by injuries. I really believe that the past two Utah teams would easily have been 10 win teams had they played in the MWC & the same type of schedule that the 2010 team had played.

If you think this years team can't at least be competitive with that TCU team at home or wouldn't beat a 4-5 Notre Dame team on the road then we are doomed.

To be fair, we don't know anything about this years team so maybe I got a little overzealous with the rankings. I just feel like since 2010 the teams have become faster and deeper each year in the PAC12.

woot
09-18-2014, 06:33 AM
Hey gang. I'm looking forward to this game quite a bit. Michigan isn't great this year, but they're a lot better than they showed against ND. They're definitely better this year than they were last year, when M had little trouble with them. After breaking down the ND tape, it seems that 9/11 of the D played great, but the other 2 were backup CBs that got lit up bad enough to not only allow their guys to be open, but to also obviate the pass rush.

The storyline on offense wasn't simple either. They outgained ND but just consistently found ways to not score.

Last week is a better representation. Physically dominant, but enough mental errors to make things chaotic at times. The D switched to almost full time cover 4 against Miami after an off season of nothing but press-man, but they looked really good doing it. Now that it's on tape, KW will have a chance to install some cover 4-beaters and it's so new I'd expect to see a few busts. If the D can avoid mental errors though they could be elite.

So, I'm not sure what to think. Utah is tough to get a read on, having not played anybody yet. M has had 8 different starters miss time so far, and Hoke is no longer talking about injuries. Funchess (WR, best player on offense) is probably still out, Desmond Morgan (starting MLB) is definitely still out, and Raymon Taylor (starting CB) is probably still out. I'm less worried about the latter two, since I think the D has replaced them with players of similar ability. Funchess has no replacement though -- in addition to being a game changer, he's also Devin Gardner's binky.

Gardner has all the skills to be Vince Young, but after a couple years behind a bad offensive line, he's developed a lot of bad habits. He's not a check-first-read-then-tuck-it guy but would probably be better if he were. As it is, he stares down the first read for too long, then finally tries to come off him and look for somebody else, by which point he has no pocket and will proceed to scramble around and maybe get sacked and maybe fumble or maybe throw it to a wide open safety. Even when the first read is open he's often late, keeping the pass rush relevant and impairing YAC. He's had several virtuoso performances, and they've all come at home. The new OC isn't asking him to do as much due to his penchant for huge blunders, so that should lower his amplitude.

If it gets sloppy, Utah might have a good chance. Regardless of how good the D is, they tend to wear down late if the O isn't holding up their end. If M can take care of the ball and get a few scores, the D should be good enough to keep things in hand.

Jarid in Cedar
09-18-2014, 07:44 AM
Thanks for the update Woot. It is always good to get the perspective of fans of our opponents. I am assuming that you will be attending the game?

concerned
09-18-2014, 08:17 AM
If it gets sloppy, Utah might have a good chance. Regardless of how good the D is, they tend to wear down late if the O isn't holding up their end. If M can take care of the ball and get a few scores, the D should be good enough to keep things in hand.

Thanks for the analysis. For the less sophisticated of us, who is "M"? I can guess, but don't understand the reference.

Mormon Red Death
09-18-2014, 08:20 AM
Thanks for the analysis. For the less sophisticated of us, who is "M"? I can guess, but don't understand the reference.

The "M" here would stand for Michigan... Like "U" would stand for Utah.

concerned
09-18-2014, 08:33 AM
The "M" here would stand for Michigan... Like "U" would stand for Utah.

I misread the reference to M in the first paragraph; I didn't realize he was talking about last year's ND game.

Utah
09-18-2014, 08:58 AM
Our DL is going to destroy UM's OL. Orchard and Dimick will be household names after this game and we will lead the country in sack's.

woot
09-18-2014, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the update Woot. It is always good to get the perspective of fans of our opponents. I am assuming that you will be attending the game?

Nah I've moved out of state. I didn't really enjoy attending all that much past the first few anyway. The Big House is awesome but I'm too interested in the other games to want to turn a 3-hour event into a 5 hour ordeal with inferior viewing conditions, and despite my super fandom I kinda hate watching games with other football fans. I guess I'm weird that way.

Regarding the OL, it's true that they've not been great, but they're actually much improved from last year despite having lost both tackles to the NFL and replacing them with a true freshman and a guy who hadn't yet seen game action. A lot of the issue was bad coaching, it seems, as last year's offense was an incoherent smorgasbord that never allowed them to get good at anything. This year it's just inside and outside zone, with only the occasional power or pin-and-pull mixed in to keep defenses honest. They're still not great, but the errors are usually mental rather than physical, so I think they'll continue to get better as they get comfortable with the new offense. The RBs have both missed several giant holes, so that has contributed to making the OL look worse than they are this year, whereas last year there were no holes miss. Gardner's pocket antics also serve to make the pass blocking seem worse than it is, but they're not actually great on that front either.

I'm not confident about any aspect of this team, but if they get everything figured out there's no reason they shouldn't compete for a B10 championship (especially given the sorry state of the conference) unless the injuries continue to mount. Safety is perhaps the thinnest position on the team and 2 of the 3 viable options for the 2 spots have missed time, including the best of the 3 that missed last week with some unknown injury. If he's also out for this game the prospects dim substantially.

Applejack
09-18-2014, 01:02 PM
Good omen #1: Spence eccles is in line with me at DCA! Big money!!!

Update: he ordered a turkey sandwich on a bagel and an Apple juice.

hostile
09-18-2014, 01:18 PM

Be sure to wish him a belated happy birthday

LA Ute
09-18-2014, 06:01 PM
This is a very interesting breakdown from a long-time Michigan fan and analyst:

http://lighttheu.com/2014/09/utah-utes-michigan-wolverines-preview-wdrew-hallett-maize-n-brew/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+LightTheU+%28Light+The+U%29

jrj84105
09-18-2014, 08:36 PM
Nah I've moved out of state. I didn't really enjoy attending all that much past the first few anyway. The Big House is awesome but I'm too interested in the other games to want to turn a 3-hour event into a 5 hour ordeal with inferior viewing conditions, and despite my super fandom I kinda hate watching games with other football fans. I guess I'm weird that way.

Regarding the OL, it's true that they've not been great, but they're actually much improved from last year despite having lost both tackles to the NFL and replacing them with a true freshman and a guy who hadn't yet seen game action. A lot of the issue was bad coaching, it seems, as last year's offense was an incoherent smorgasbord that never allowed them to get good at anything. This year it's just inside and outside zone, with only the occasional power or pin-and-pull mixed in to keep defenses honest. They're still not great, but the errors are usually mental rather than physical, so I think they'll continue to get better as they get comfortable with the new offense. The RBs have both missed several giant holes, so that has contributed to making the OL look worse than they are this year, whereas last year there were no holes miss. Gardner's pocket antics also serve to make the pass blocking seem worse than it is, but they're not actually great on that front either.

I'm not confident about any aspect of this team, but if they get everything figured out there's no reason they shouldn't compete for a B10 championship (especially given the sorry state of the conference) unless the injuries continue to mount. Safety is perhaps the thinnest position on the team and 2 of the 3 viable options for the 2 spots have missed time, including the best of the 3 that missed last week with some unknown injury. If he's also out for this game the prospects dim substantially.
Woot has a great perspective on Utah too (from MGOBlog)

"This will probably be Kyle Whittingham's last year as Utah's HC. In addition to all the losing, word has it that the locker room is very divided. The O and D players hate each other, and neither faction seems to like the coaching staff.

Of course that doesn't necessarily mean much, but when UM last played Utah in 2008, it was a very good year for them and a very bad year for us, and they still barely won that game (30-28? Something like that). If M loses to them this year, it will signal a very bad year indeed."

What a load of shit.

Utah
09-18-2014, 08:46 PM

"This will probably be Kyle Whittingham's last year as Utah's HC. In addition to all the losing, word has it that the locker room is very divided. The O and D players hate each other, and neither faction seems to like the coaching staff.

Of course that doesn't necessarily mean much, but when UM last played Utah in 2008, it was a very good year for them and a very bad year for us, and they still barely won that game (30-28? Something like that). If M loses to them this year, it will signal a very bad year indeed."

What a load of shit.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

It cracks me up hearing a lot of Michigan fans talk. We have an absolutely amazing DL. Dimick, and Orchard will eat their freshmen tackles alive.

The question is whether our OL will perform or not. If they do, we win in a landslide. If our OL sucks, it will be a close game.

Their OL can't handle our DL and their secondary can't handle our Receivers. The question is if our OL can give Wilson time to get them the ball.

woot
09-18-2014, 09:11 PM

What a load of shit.

I'm not interested in getting into the typical hyperbolic boosterism that drags down so much of sports discussion, but what's the problem, exactly? Michigan went 3-9 that year, Utah went undefeated, and yet Utah didn't exactly dominate against a Michigan team playing their first game in a radically different system for which their personnel were entirely wrong. I recognize that any individual game is a poor representation of respective team quality, but that's all we've got in football.

Utah does seem to have a couple really good receivers, but the trouble in M's secondary has been due to injured starters more than anything else. They're all 4 or 5-star talent that have been impressive so far this year when they're out there. So if the starters play I figure that should be a pretty even matchup. I don't know anything about Utah's linemen, but a strong DL is perhaps the best asset to have against this Michigan offense. M's OTs are definitely vulnerable -- I've been surprised at how good they've been under the circumstances, but they're still probably the weak point of the offense. A lot will depend on how well the coordinators can scheme to take advantage/mitigate.

Utah
09-18-2014, 09:23 PM
I'm not interested in getting into the typical hyperbolic boosterism that drags down so much of sports discussion, but what's the problem, exactly? Michigan went 3-9 that year, Utah went undefeated, and yet Utah didn't exactly dominate against a Michigan team playing their first game in a radically different system for which their personnel were entirely wrong. I recognize that any individual game is a poor representation of respective team quality, but that's all we've got in football.

Utah does seem to have a couple really good receivers, but the trouble in M's secondary has been due to injured starters more than anything else. They're all 4 or 5-star talent that have been impressive so far this year when they're out there. So if the starters play I figure that should be a pretty even matchup. I don't know anything about Utah's linemen, but a strong DL is perhaps the best asset to have against this Michigan offense. M's OTs are definitely vulnerable -- I've been surprised at how good they've been under the circumstances, but they're still probably the weak point of the offense. A lot will depend on how well the coordinators can scheme to take advantage/mitigate.

The good news is, Sitake and Whitt are as good as it gets.

I'm torn on what Hoke does. This game is irrelevant to his career. If he wins and stinks up conference play, he's done. If he loses and wins the B1G, he probably keeps his job.

Makes me wonder if he sits his secondary and Funchess to get ready for B1G play.

Either way, I think Michigan will be surprised at how big and fast we are.

I also think everyone is overrating the Big House effect. This isn't 2008. It won't intimidate Utah like it did last time.

If Utah can come out quick like they did against Alabama, we can kill Michigan's drive and stomp them. If we come out sluggish and give Michigan some momentum, we could lose this game.

SoCalPat
09-18-2014, 10:11 PM

Please. We dominated Michigan from scrimmage in that game. Go look at the box score. We outpassed Michigan by a nearly 2-1 margin and Asiata ran with authority. We hurt ourselves with a bad turnover in the red zone, two blocked kicks and 15 penalties (one of which came on a punt that extended a Michigan drive that resulted in a TD). I don't think that's hyperbolic boosterism to say we should've won by more; it's definitely so to say Utah wasn't dominant in a game where it outscored Michigan 25-3 over three-plus quarters (early first through mid-fourth) and completely silenced your crowd. If we throw the ball as well Saturday as we did in 2008, this game is a blowout. We won't be sloppy again in the kicking game to let UM back into it.

UBlender
09-18-2014, 10:47 PM
Please. We dominated Michigan from scrimmage in that game. Go look at the box score. We outpassed Michigan by a nearly 2-1 margin and Asiata ran with authority. We hurt ourselves with a bad turnover in the red zone, two blocked kicks and 15 penalties (one of which came on a punt that extended a Michigan drive that resulted in a TD). I don't think that's hyperbolic boosterism to say we should've won by more; it's definitely so to say Utah wasn't dominant in a game where it outscored Michigan 25-3 over three-plus quarters (early first through mid-fourth) and completely silenced your crowd. If we throw the ball as well Saturday as we did in 2008, this game is a blowout. We won't be sloppy again in the kicking game to let UM back into it.

I looked up the boxscore today. UM scored (3TDs and a FG) on drives of 26, 17, 33 and 31 yards. Utah had 15 penalties and stunk in the red zone. Special teams were also a disaster, aside from the awesomeness of Louie Sakoda. Turnovers were even but Utah's turnovers and special teams play set Michigan up with everything they got.

LA Ute
09-18-2014, 10:56 PM

What a load of shit.

Some people post in a more restrained way on an opponent's board, and in a more partisan way on their own team's board. This is often more a matter of being polite than being duplicitous. Even so, in other places we have seen hysterical feeding frenzies result from such well-intentioned behavior. (Ahem.)

NorthwestUteFan
09-19-2014, 09:06 AM
I <3 woot, and appreciate his posts on a wide variety of subjects. But it seems his inner byu fan took over and forced him to post that rectal extrusion of a quote on MGo about having 'insider information' Whitt being on the hot seat for this game and the locker room being divided. That part was a copy and paste from cougarboard/CUF.

His breakdown on Michigan is probably quite accurate, though.

I am on my way to the airport right now. See you guys at the game tomorrow. Go Utes!

tooblue
09-19-2014, 09:25 AM
I <3 woot, and appreciate his posts on a wide variety of subjects. But it seems his inner byu fan took over and forced him to post that rectal extrusion of a quote on MGo about having 'insider information' Whitt being on the hot seat for this game and the locker room being divided. That part was a copy and paste from cougarboard/CUF.

I am on my way to the airport right now. See you guys at the game tomorrow. Go Utes!

I hit the highway later this evening after my son's first high school football game of the season. Can't wait to have a National Coney Island Hani. Anything y'all want me to pass on to the 100 or so Ute faithful that will be in attendance? A thunderstorm is in the forecast. It will be a midwest humid and wet day, unlike the picturesque conditions they played under in 2008 ... coincidently—basically—the last time I saw the Utes play because they are never on tv, or at least on a channel accessible to the vast majority of football fans in the US. But I digress. It will be great to see a live college football game.

Scorcho
09-19-2014, 09:47 AM
my worries:

- first road game of the year.

- Utah hasn't played well away from home for quite some time.

- it's been years since we won on the road against a quality opponent.

- please, please let us be injury free in this game.

I had this game penciled as a loss pre-season, I would love a win, but I'm not feeling as confident as some.

LA Ute
09-19-2014, 10:37 AM

I really enjoyed woot's breakdown of Michigan, and I don't care if he's more partisan on a Michigan board than he is here.. That just means he's not a troll. Woot and I don't agree on much, but I respect that about him.

My son and I decided not to go to Ann Arbor after all and now we are feeling wistful. It would be fun to be there, and to meet some of you person. In terms of the game's outcome I am ready for anything, but wouldn't it be great if the Utes finally played well again on the road and started their PAC-12 turnaround with this game?

concerned
09-19-2014, 10:39 AM
I really enjoyed woot's breakdown of Michigan, and I don't care if he's more partisan on a Michigan board than he is here.. That just means he's not a troll. Woot and I don't agree on much, but I respect that about him.

My son and I decided not to go to Ann Arbor after all and now we are feeling wistful. It would be fun to be there, and to meet some of you person. In terms of the game's outcome I am ready for anything, but wouldn't it be great if the Utes finally played well again on the road and started their PAC-12 turnaround with this game?

As i have mentioned many times, whenever I show up at a road game, the team doesn't. So it is a good sign that I will be watching on tv, I hope.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-19-2014, 02:14 PM
As i have mentioned many times, whenever I show up at a road game, the team doesn't. So it is a good sign that I will be watching on tv, I hope.

I don't tend to be a superstitious person, but my "recent" game attendance have caused me to become a little bit stitious. Here's a list of the last several games I've attended:

'11 Colorado
'10 TCU
'09 @UNLV
'07 @UNLV

Three of the four have been horrible memories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LA Ute
09-19-2014, 02:21 PM
OK, knowing that concerned, Dwight and I are all staying home from this game has me much more optimistic!

concerned
09-19-2014, 02:26 PM
OK, knowing that concerned, Dwight and I are all staying home from this game has me much more optimistic!

I am going to the Oregon State game in Corvallis, of all away games, b/c it is UEA break and I am taking my son and a friend to tour UO in Eugene and L&C in Portland. That alone could kill our chance at a bowl game.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-19-2014, 02:30 PM
One thing that I've read in the last few days has made me feel a little more confident. I'm not sure where it was, but Whittingham was asked if he had been in touch with Urban or Gary Anderson recently for any Michigan insight. Whittingham's responded with a curt "no." It's nice to know that he has confidence in this team and doesn't feel the need to pull out the Rolodex looking for trade secrets.

LA Ute
09-19-2014, 02:42 PM
I am going to the Oregon State game in Corvallis, of all away games, b/c it is UEA break and I am taking my son and a friend to tour UO in Eugene and L&C in Portland. That alone could kill our chance at a bowl game.

Well, at least you are up-front about your activities and taking responsibility for their likely consequences.

jrj84105
09-19-2014, 02:53 PM

Going full zoob in the first part ["This will probably be Kyle Whittingham's last year as Utah's HC. In addition to all the losing, word has it that the locker room is very divided. The O and D players hate each other, and neither faction seems to like the coaching staff."] tells me that you ARE occasionally interested in getting into typical hyperbolic boosterism.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-19-2014, 02:58 PM

For the record, the curse seems to be only connected to the football team as I had no problems when I attended the tourney game vs Washington this spring. So don't get too nervous when I show up to the UNLV and Wichita State games in a few months.

Utah
09-19-2014, 04:21 PM
One thing to think about. If you take out Wilson's first two games as a starter and the games we had a walkon start, we are 2-1 on the road since joining the PAC-12.

The sime truth is, even the best football team will suck on the road with a walkon QB or a 18 year old.

What I'm trying to say is, yes we've sucked on the road, BUT, we've never had a QB situation like this. Two highly recruited JR's as our QB's. Utah football has NEVER had a 1-2 punch like that.

Diehard Ute
09-19-2014, 05:21 PM
It's interesting perusing other teams fan boards

Michigan fans seem to really like to do long statistical breakdowns with film etc. which is all well and good, but the people who put those together either don't do all their homework, or leave info out on purpose

One large breakdown say Tyler Wilson was benched due to his poor play last season. (no mention of any of his injuries) Went on to say Utah isn't a good passing team.

A common thread in all of the posts and breakdowns seems to be Michigan's fans feeling that we lack quality talent at almost every position. More than one poster has stated Utah and Miami (OH) are the same talent level wise. It's an interesting thing to watch fans take on things.

The game will be interesting, I think it's a toss up myself.

utefan
09-19-2014, 05:40 PM

Michigan fans seem to really like to do long statistical breakdowns with film etc. which is all well and good, but the people who put those together either don't do all their homework, or leave info out on purpose

One large breakdown say Tyler Wilson was benched due to his poor play last season. (no mention of any of his injuries) Went on to say Utah isn't a good passing team.

A common thread in all of the posts and breakdowns seems to be Michigan's fans feeling that we lack quality talent at almost every position. More than one poster has stated Utah and Miami (OH) are the same talent level wise. It's an interesting thing to watch fans take on things.

Those guys are in for a rude awakening. Utah is about to let the rest of the country know what most of us in the western states already know.

SoCalPat
09-19-2014, 06:03 PM

Point out the blog that says Utah isn't a good passing team, please.

Diehard Ute
09-19-2014, 06:38 PM
Point out the blog that says Utah isn't a good passing team, please.

http://mgoblog.com/content/preview-2014-utah#more

Praise Dres, call Tyler Wilson "wobbly"

Utah
09-19-2014, 09:48 PM
Michigan's defense isn't nearly as good as advertised. You'd think some local "expert" would look into this, but I guess it's above their pay raise.

Here are some numbers:

- Michigan has 4 sacks through 3 games. They have no pass rush. In comparison (and remember, both Utah and Michigan have played two patsies and Michigan has played 3 games vs Utah playing two) Utah has 8 sacks by my count.

- Michigan has 1 TO in 3 games.

- In the first half, Notre Dame averaged 6 yards per play. Their first two drives of the second half yielded over 5 yards per play and 1 TD. Then ND shut down their offense. From that point on (remember, ND averaged 6 yards per play in the first half and first two drives of the second half), ND average 1 yard per play.

- Yes, ND only averaged 2.6 yards per carry rushing vs Michigan in the first half and the first two drives of the second half. But, Michigan gave up 8.1 yards per pass attempt and 13.5 yards per completion. Oh, and Michigan also gave up 28 points.

So, why does Michigan's defense look so good? It's not their defense. They gave up 6 yards per play to ND when ND tried and were down by 28 points when ND stopped playing. That isn't stout defense at all.

What covers up Michigan's defense is their offense. And no, their offense isn't good. It's just SLOW. BIG TIME. In Michigan's three games, they have averaged 2 plays/min vs ND, 1.96 plays per minute vs Miami (no, not that Miami), and 1.82 plays per minute vs App St.

They are old school slow. Huddle up, take a deep breath, relax, run the clock down, go run a play.

Compare that to Utah's offense this year. We averaged 3 plays per minute vs ISU and 2.63 plays per minute against FSU.

Michigan struggled BIG TIME vs hurry up teams last year. We will score points tomorrow. Throw in that Michigan ran a 6 man front vs ND, which ND ate up, and two of their 4 starting DB's are hurt....Well, you decide how great their defense is.

Call me a homer, but the numba's don't lie.

http://simplemanslifeutahutes.blogspot.com/2014/09/michigans-defense-mirage.html

hostile
09-19-2014, 10:06 PM

Man, he gets around. Saw him at the Highland/East game tonight.

Sullyute
09-20-2014, 12:54 AM
Michigan's defense isn't nearly as good as advertised...

That was a great write up. Thanks.

U-Ute
09-20-2014, 05:25 AM
Game day is here!

NorthwestUteFan
09-20-2014, 05:32 AM
The last Utah game I attended (vs.UW in the CLink, 2012) was the single worst-prepared team I have ever witnessed from Kyle Whittingham. In that game it was apparent that only John White IV and Jake Murphy got on the bus, and the entire rest of the team stayed home.

Today will be a different story. Utah has played two patsies, but in doing so they worked out all the kinks in their offense and defense. Special Teams is once again 'Special', and in a good way. This game will be a slugfest and it is a game that Utah CAN win, if they can bring their A game.

Utah has a number of outstanding offensive weapons with one legit NFL player at WR (Dres) and two others with NFL potential, a solid stable of running backs, and one of the most explosive KR/PR/WR Michigan will see all year (Kaelin Clay).

On Defense I have my concerns. The D line is always a strength and Nate Orchard will likely shock the hell out of a very young Michigan O line. The LBers will need to prove something today and I hope to see some athleticism out of Gionni Paul and to see Jarid Norris play like his usual self. Losing Whittingham will hurt, so I want to see somebody else step up. Utah's secondary was bad last year in terms of interceptions, but the were very near the best team in the nation in Passes Defended. Hopefully a few of those knockdowns will become Picks today.

But if the Defense gives up nearly 600 yards to Michigan the way Ohio State did last year then it will be a long day.

I want to see 325-375+ yards passing, 170+ yards rushing and to be at least +1 on turnovers. I want Hackett to drop every punt inside the Michigan 7 yard line, and I don't want to give up more than 15 yards on any punt return. No KR longer than 30 yards, and preferably all should be touchbacks.

On KR/PR I want to cheer for Clay as he busts off a few big returns, and perhaps even see a KRTD...

If we can get off to a fast start and score on 2 of the first 3 drives, plus get stops on D early in the game, then Michigan will have a hard time keeping up. Even the local sports hacks out here give Utah's offense a healthy bit of respect. Having a respected offense is new territory for me, but unexpected praise is still praise.

U-Ute
09-20-2014, 06:17 AM
Gionni Paul playing well is a big key. I think we underestimate JWhit's impact because he isn't flashy. I believe that he is assignment sound and doesn't make mistakes. If Paul makes mistakes, Gardner or their RB could gash us.

I am not worried about anything else on the defensive side of the ball.

We win if we are not negative in turnover margin. We win big if we are +2 or more. This team is ready to have a statement game.

U-Ute
09-20-2014, 06:29 AM
We are heading over to the stadium early to check out the area.

NorthwestUteFan
09-20-2014, 07:22 AM
We are heading over to the stadium early to check out the area.

We will go to a friend's house for a tailgate before the game. The campus for UM is nice enough, but it isn't as impressive of a gameday experience as Notre Dame. Still, I want to check it out.

My dad nearly chose UM for his Residency so I am interested to see where I could have grown up.

Mormon Red Death
09-20-2014, 08:01 AM
We will go to a friend's house for a tailgate before the game. The campus for UM is nice enough, but it isn't as impressive of a gameday experience as Notre Dame. Still, I want to check it out.

My dad nearly chose UM for his Residency so I am interested to see where I could have grown up.

They have great tailgating. I'll be in town early as v well.

NorthwestUteFan
09-20-2014, 08:03 AM
Yes, the tailgating will be outstanding and the fans are all wicked cool so far. I expect the overall experience to be memorable.

I just meant that the campus itself is pretty, but kind of ho-hum compared to ND.

MRD my brother who went to HS with you is here too.

U-Ute
09-20-2014, 09:07 AM
The campus is more spread out and separated by residential areas. But it is still a nice campus. The number of students and fans in the area already is impressive. It reminds me of SLC about an hour before game time and we still have over 4 hours to go.

Mormon Red Death
09-20-2014, 10:56 AM
Yes, the tailgating will be outstanding and the fans are all wicked cool so far. I expect the overall experience to be memorable.

I just meant that the campus itself is pretty, but kind of ho-hum compared to ND.

MRD my brother who went to HS with you is here too.

He's not at the c reunion?

NorthwestUteFan
09-20-2014, 11:24 AM
He's not at the c reunion?

Priorities, man!

EutawStUtesFan
09-20-2014, 11:30 AM
Looks like Funchess, Taylor and Wilson may play today.
http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2014/09/20/michigan-football-utah-utes/15952061/

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-20-2014, 12:16 PM
Looks like Funchess, Taylor and Wilson may play today.
http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2014/09/20/michigan-football-utah-utes/15952061/

Good. No excuses.

Mormon Red Death
09-20-2014, 12:53 PM
Priorities, man!

Priorities indeed 1243

LA Ute
09-20-2014, 01:48 PM
OK, they bent but didn't break on that first UM series. Let's see how the offense can do.

LA Ute
09-20-2014, 02:02 PM
I hope we can do better than a 3 and out this series.

LA Ute
09-20-2014, 02:08 PM
Too bad Bubba didn't cut back to the right. Woulda been six.

chrisrenrut
09-20-2014, 02:18 PM
CLAY!!! Unreal!

chrisrenrut
09-20-2014, 02:30 PM
Zero rushing yards in the first quarter.

Then Travis decides to go airborne to go out of bounds with no chance for a first down. Ugh.

mpfunk
09-20-2014, 02:31 PM
That looked terrible. Inexcusable that the Michigan player that was taunting him wasn't flagged.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

justaute
09-20-2014, 02:36 PM
yah...not sure why he jumped.

Zero rushing yards in the first quarter.

Then Travis decides to go airborne to go out of bounds with no chance for a first down. Ugh.

mpfunk
09-20-2014, 02:39 PM
yah...not sure why he jumped.

No clue. He had to be smarter. With his medical issues. Not sure you can let him play the rest of the game.

chrisrenrut
09-20-2014, 02:41 PM
Offensive line seems to be struggling so far. No holes for running, not much time for passing.

chrisrenrut
09-20-2014, 02:43 PM
Defense is pretty stout. Norris, Paul, Rowe, and Hatfield seem to be everywhere.

chrisrenrut
09-20-2014, 02:48 PM
First interception of the year! Blechen with the tip-drill.

chrisrenrut
09-20-2014, 02:50 PM
Shit! Maybe Thompson is the second coming of Tommy Brady, but with legs instead of an arm.

mpfunk
09-20-2014, 02:52 PM
That may have been one of the worst plays I have ever seen. Not sure how we can put any points on the board without Wilson

chrisrenrut
09-20-2014, 02:53 PM
Ok, nice. Some easy throws to get Thompson in a rhythm.

chrisrenrut
09-20-2014, 02:59 PM
Kendall hasn't "totally redeemed" himself, but the 4th down conversion is big, keeping the drive alive and not giving the ball back to Michigan at midfield with 3 minutes left in the half.

chrisrenrut
09-20-2014, 03:02 PM
Barring disaster, we'll go into half with the lead. Hopefully by 7.

chrisrenrut
09-20-2014, 03:05 PM
Barring disaster, we'll go into half with the lead. Hopefully by 7.

Crap. Incredible play by The Michigan linebacker, hurdling our midget running back. Come on, Andy!

chrisrenrut
09-20-2014, 03:08 PM
Crap. Incredible play by The Michigan linebacker, hurdling our midget running back. Come on, Andy!

Automatic Andy! Leading at the half, and relieving the ball in the 2nd.

concerned
09-20-2014, 03:12 PM
Should be 21-3 if Poole catches that pass.

chrisrenrut
09-20-2014, 03:14 PM
Should be 21-3 if Poole catches that pass.

And if Scott makes a block on the long pass play.

concerned
09-20-2014, 03:17 PM
And if Scott makes a block on the long pass play.

Fred too. That guy never should have been able to come across the field

chrisrenrut
09-20-2014, 03:24 PM
Fred too. That guy never should have been able to come across the field

Fred? Is that an autocorrect of Dres?

chrisrenrut
09-20-2014, 03:30 PM
Travis is back. Hopefully his confidence is not shaken.

chrisrenrut
09-20-2014, 03:32 PM
Travis to Dres!!! Made it look easy.

chrisrenrut
09-20-2014, 03:44 PM
Defense is fired up. Sitake looks excited.

So strange to hear Filipo Mokofisi's name get called. It takes me back 25 years or so.

mpfunk
09-20-2014, 03:45 PM
Time to make this a blowout.

concerned
09-20-2014, 03:48 PM
Fred? Is that an autocorrect of Dres?

Yes

chrisrenrut
09-20-2014, 04:09 PM
Special teams continue to live up to their name. 48 yarder by Automatic Andy.

chrisrenrut
09-20-2014, 04:14 PM
Gionni Paul with the INT! We are just one away now from our total for last season.

chrisrenrut
09-20-2014, 04:17 PM
Ugh, offensive face mask penalty results in a 31 yard difference.

chrisrenrut
09-20-2014, 04:20 PM
Andy is good. I wonder what he did before he played football?

chrisrenrut
09-20-2014, 04:25 PM
Boom! 3rd INT. Then a stupid penalty.

chrisrenrut
09-20-2014, 04:28 PM
Weather delay. Time to watch Florida vs Bama for a bit. Go Gators!

NorthwestUteFan
09-20-2014, 04:42 PM
This is a huge storm, and it is just starting to get here. The storm stretches almost all the way to Ft Wayne, IN. Probably will be shut down for a few hours. Dammit.

NorthwestUteFan
09-20-2014, 04:48 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/09/21/jyha5ene.jpg

Good times!

concerned
09-20-2014, 04:57 PM
This is a huge storm, and it is just starting to get here. The storm stretches almost all the way to Ft Wayne, IN. Probably will be shut down for a few hours. Dammit.

on tv, they said the Minnesota and illinois games have been suspended too. I'll bet they call it.

chrisrenrut
09-20-2014, 05:08 PM
on tv, they said the Minnesota and illinois games have been suspended too. I'll bet they call it.

According to NOAA, there is a severe thunderstorm watch in Ann Arbor effective until 11:00 pm ET tonight. I wonder how long they go before deciding to call the game.

Snowman
09-20-2014, 05:15 PM
Good grief. Nobody has ever been killed by a lightning strike ever in the history of college football. For God's sake quit making up things to be afraid of and play the game.

NorthwestUteFan
09-20-2014, 05:21 PM
Good grief. Nobody has ever been killed by a lightning strike ever in the history of college football. For God's sake quit making up things to be afraid of and play the game.

I am standing under a huge lightning rod of a stadium.

chrisrenrut
09-20-2014, 05:22 PM
The only thing I can find is that when the referee declares the game Is ended, the score is final.

i would guess the referee will be in consultation with coaches and/or administrators of each team, and will decide when to call it.

chrisrenrut
09-20-2014, 05:26 PM

Um, you think the reason for the "fact" you mention above is due to the precautions taken?

If I remember right, there was someone struck by lightning at a Utah high school stadium a while back at a graduation.

Snowman
09-20-2014, 05:33 PM
Um, you think the reason for the "fact" you mention above is due to the precautions taken?

If I remember right, there was someone struck by lightning at a Utah high school stadium a while back at a graduation.

Wow. You can think of one incident! How many do you think have been killed driving to the games? Maybe we should just outlaw the game altogether.

Utah
09-20-2014, 05:35 PM
There was a Michigan official on the radio with Riley and they said that they have no plans to call the game and are fully planning on waiting the storm out. Either way, it's going to be a long time before the game is over or not.

Utah
09-20-2014, 05:36 PM
They are showing the field and it is flooded. Call it. End Hoke's career.

Utah
09-20-2014, 05:45 PM
How does Sean O'Connell keep getting jobs. He is terrible. He is almost as pessimistic as most Ute fans. Or is that why he has a job? Because a lot of you guys love hearing how terrible Utah is?

Terrible.

chrisrenrut
09-20-2014, 05:49 PM
Wow. You can think of one incident!

No, because the current policy has been in place since at least 1997. Tough to have an incident if they clear the stadium.

How many do you think have been killed driving to the games? Maybe we should just outlaw the game altogether.

:blink:

LA Ute
09-20-2014, 06:05 PM
I don't think the game will be back on ABC. Just a hunch. They have other games to carry.

Some things to like about what we've seen:

Gionni Paul. I think I hear Riley say Gionni has 10 tackles. Really? Plus the pick.Travis coming back after a spectacular self-inflicted faceplant and starting right off with a TD drive.
No. 41, Jared Norris.
Our weaponized kicking game.

chrisrenrut
09-20-2014, 06:38 PM
KALL 700 is saying maybe a restart about 6:55 pm MT.

NorthwestUteFan
09-20-2014, 06:42 PM
I want to see a Utah team actually plunge in the dagger at the end of the game, rather than take it easy and run out the clock.

NorthwestUteFan
09-20-2014, 06:46 PM
End of the game will only broadcast on ESPN3, online only.

OrangeUte
09-20-2014, 06:58 PM
Utes miss a fg. We are in hang onto the lead mode just to run down clock and win. Giving up yardage though.

OrangeUte
09-20-2014, 06:58 PM
I think that was a pick by hatfield.

OrangeUte
09-20-2014, 06:59 PM
Fumble recovery.

OrangeUte
I'd like to see a touchdown here. Just to beef up our offensive stats.

chrisrenrut
I can't get ESPN3 with my current providers, so I am having to listen on KALL. Dolce hurts my ears.

NorthwestUteFan
09-20-2014, 07:14 PM
Impressive win.

chrisrenrut
09-20-2014, 07:21 PM
Nice win. i don't think Michigan is a good team, but they are a step or two up from Idaho St. And Fresno, and it was on the road. We now have experience against a team that at least has athletes that are bigger and faster.

The team should be pretty confident going into next week's game.

Snowman
09-20-2014, 07:41 PM
Winning in Ann Arbor is a big deal for any program any year.

AnestheUte
09-20-2014, 07:43 PM
After this win, I'm hopeful that this season will yield a bowl game. I know we've got a tough schedule, but we're taking care of business to this point. The team looks confident and the offense seems much improved. Washington St. Here we come!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Snowman
09-20-2014, 07:55 PM
If we can't go 3-6 in conference I'll be borderline suicidal.

AnestheUte
09-20-2014, 08:19 PM
I know that we have winnable games ahead, but I'm looking at the schedule and wondering where they'll come from... Wash St., Oregon St., Colorado all seem like they *should* be wins. I suspect that we'll win one that we shouldn't and lose one that we shouldn't. What do you think?

sancho
09-20-2014, 08:23 PM
Well, I really enjoyed that. So much fun to see the Utes play well.

Blechen with the hard, legal hit.
Clay with the return.
Wilson's first down, tough guy run.
Scott, Dres, and Patrick each with some big grabs.
Sitake really getting into it on the sideline (looked a lot like a future head coach right there)
Paul looking like the player we all hoped for.
KT with the strong recovery after the disastrous pick-6.
Big stop on 4th and 3

We still have not played a good offense. Wazzu is many bad things, but they can definitely move the ball in the air. That will be the first real test of our defense.

chrisrenrut
09-20-2014, 08:42 PM
I know that we have winnable games ahead, but I'm looking at the schedule and wondering where they'll come from... Wash St., Oregon St., Colorado all seem like they *should* be wins. I suspect that we'll win one that we shouldn't and lose one that we shouldn't. What do you think?

i was doing the same thing. I would add Arizona as a "should win", and could see us going 3-1 with those 4 teams. I think we lose to Oregon and Stanford. The rest are toss-ups that I think we can steal one or two wins.

This schedule is set up for us to get our hopes up, with the potential to see them dashed as we get into the meat of the schedule. If this team is as good as I hope they are, we won't reel off 5 straight losses like we did last year.

AnestheUte
09-20-2014, 08:59 PM
I hope you're right. Each year we've played in the PAC 12 I get thinking that we'll have a great year, and then we start laying eggs. Hopefully Wilson has gotten some sense knocked into him today and he'll stop trying to fly for no reason.

Jarid in Cedar
09-20-2014, 09:17 PM
8-4 at least. GET ON THE BUS!

Ma'ake
09-20-2014, 09:44 PM
A few thoughts:

- Nice to shake the interception mind-block. Gionni is a stud, Blechen's ricochet INT was a GREAT start to the festivities, and Tevin Carter not only held onto the ball, but looked like the track star he's supposed to be, in that return. Just as last year we found novel and innovative ways to drop passes that should have been picks, I think Rowe, Hatfield, Justin Thomas, Orphey, Norris and possibly Orchard will want to join the action that started today.

- Not Booker's best day, but really nice to see Poole have the game he had. If he ever gets another chance like that reception + YAC run, he'll look for the cut back. No doubt he'll get crap for that one, in the film room.

- I guarantee that's the last time we see Travis go airborne, unless a 1st down or TD are on the line. He's lucky as hell, he dodged a huge bullet. Thompson is certainly replaying every snap he got, in his mind, on the plane home right now. UM has a pretty solid defense, those were quality snaps and he had some success, after the gift wrapped pick-six.

- Hackett and Phillips will be instrumental in our success. Wow.

- When the game got back underway, the TV guys were talking about the difference in "tone" between the Utah coaches and UM's coaches when they talked yesterday. Confidence vs tension. Kyle and the coaches know what they have, and they're bullish on this team.

- Maybe the best part of Clay's punt return TD was his good decision-making after that big play. Really easy for a guy in his position to get greedy, but he stayed within what was given to him. Really, really good sign.

- GREAT to see Tim Patrick making a difference. He's not going to run away from PAC CBs, but he's a LOT faster than our big WRs last year.

- It's always great to get a win on the road against a P5 team, because Sitake has to fix the problems in the outside run D, and I think the O-Line still has a ways to go. Michigan has a pretty stout front 7, granted, but we've got to improve.

justaute
09-20-2014, 10:07 PM
Good observation. In addition, Patrick seems to be pretty sure-handed, based on the few passes thrown his way. He's a "hands" type of receiver -- something I'm hoping Dres can address. Really like Patrick so far.

It will be interesting to see how our D handles an offense with good passing QB. It was a good thing Gardner couldn't pass well.

Also, didn't see Tonga or any other TE get involved. Did I miss anything here?

A few thoughts:

- Nice to shake the interception mind-block. Gionni is a stud, Blechen's ricochet INT was a GREAT start to the festivities, and Tevin Carter not only held onto the ball, but looked like the track star he's supposed to be, in that return. Just as last year we found novel and innovative ways to drop passes that should have been picks, I think Rowe, Hatfield, Justin Thomas, Orphey, Norris and possibly Orchard will want to join the action that started today.

- Not Booker's best day, but really nice to see Poole have the game he had. If he ever gets another chance like that reception + YAC run, he'll look for the cut back. No doubt he'll get crap for that one, in the film room.

- I guarantee that's the last time we see Travis go airborne, unless a 1st down or TD are on the line. He's lucky as hell, he dodged a huge bullet. Thompson is certainly replaying every snap he got, in his mind, on the plane home right now. UM has a pretty solid defense, those were quality snaps and he had some success, after the gift wrapped pick-six.

- Hackett and Phillips will be instrumental in our success. Wow.

- When the game got back underway, the TV guys were talking about the difference in "tone" between the Utah coaches and UM's coaches when they talked yesterday. Confidence vs tension. Kyle and the coaches know what they have, and they're bullish on this team.

- Maybe the best part of Clay's punt return TD was his good decision-making after that big play. Really easy for a guy in his position to get greedy, but he stayed within what was given to him. Really, really good sign.

- GREAT to see Tim Patrick making a difference. He's not going to run away from PAC CBs, but he's a LOT faster than our big WRs last year.

- It's always great to get a win on the road against a P5 team, because Sitake has to fix the problems in the outside run D, and I think the O-Line still has a ways to go. Michigan has a pretty stout front 7, granted, but we've got to improve.

Sullyute
09-20-2014, 11:09 PM

One ticket please. I am coming on board.

SoCalPat
09-20-2014, 11:29 PM

This team should not lose more than one game at home. That leaves two more road victories to get to 8-4. Why not?

Snowman
09-20-2014, 11:31 PM
I'm on the bus, too. I don't know which games we'll win but if we approach all these games with the same intensity and focus as we did Fresno and Michigan (and Whit will see to it) 5 conference wins is on the table.

LA Ute
09-20-2014, 11:39 PM
One ticket please. I am coming on board.

I'm moving from cautiously optimistic to optimistic. And hopeful. And delighted. But not quite on board yet.

LA Ute
09-20-2014, 11:45 PM
BTW, during the break John Pease was commenting, TIC, on ESPN700 about what he would do if he were still coaching the Utes. He would give Travis a ball and tell him to sprint down the field for 10 yards and then slide, and then to repeat that routine every 10 yards for about an hour.

Mormon Red Death
09-21-2014, 03:18 AM
A little Michigan perspective. Against Utah and Notre Dame Michigan hasn't reached the red, zone and had 8 turnovers

justaute
09-21-2014, 10:46 AM
It's a good thing that, unlike Utah fans on UFN and Facebook, the team/Whit didn't look-down on Michigan's defense. Besides match-up issues, I'm hopeful our offense will continue to improve and make adjustments. Same with our defense...we'll be facing much better QBs in coming weeks.

Some people only look at stats and don't consider context and how the game is played. Clearly, TDS doesn't have the exclusivity on zoob-ish behavior.

UtahsMrSports
09-21-2014, 10:54 AM
-On Clays punt return TD, michigan had ten guys on the field. Incredible blunder.

-Gionni Paul with 14 tackles, 1 pick, and 1FR was named athlon player of the week on defense.

-Im glad we stuck with the run. We got a couple decent runs later in the game.

-If KT, is ever forced into being the starter, im not sure we will win a single game.

U-Ute
09-21-2014, 11:15 AM
Belchen...

http://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/1222336/michit.0.gif

U-Ute
09-21-2014, 11:18 AM
I'm moving from cautiously optimistic to optimistic. And hopeful. And delighted. But not quite on board yet.

Is there a section in the back for 7 wins?

LA Ute
09-21-2014, 11:26 AM

I'm there too. Maybe we can both be strapped on top of the bus?

U-Ute
09-21-2014, 11:29 AM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/21/52a8b41d630ed0e0ea034a15ce63f849.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/21/5264c872dcec8c6cd6ad02cc17f09c55.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/21/2b5629260f5fdf0cc31182e3b3ddd88d.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/21/275ce9ad0d1e0a025b547261559e8bcc.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/21/e44723479ea04a3630e068c344ec5f86.jpg

Solon
09-21-2014, 11:38 AM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/21/15dac7259af38a826f4d0594a9e94796.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/21/52a8b41d630ed0e0ea034a15ce63f849.jpg

someone over on one of the Michigan boards lamented that "standing water" had made more red-zone appearances than Michigan.

I thought it it was a pretty shrewd line.
Poor bastards. I hope they can get better.

Damage U
09-21-2014, 12:10 PM

Coward! Get onboard the crimson Kool-Aid is great! :)

chrisrenrut
09-21-2014, 12:42 PM
Dirk Facer reports that Travis went to the locker room after his 'facial' to get stitches inside his nose. :shudder:

chrisrenrut
09-21-2014, 01:32 PM
Some gifs from the game:

Sorry, can't figure this out on the iPad. Links and descriptions only:

Blechen doesn't think Funchess and the ball belong together
http://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/1222336/michit.0.gif

Travis goes "pterodactyl" according to Dres
http://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/utah-quarterback-flipped-and-loses-helmet-against-michigan-b.gif?

chrisrenrut
09-21-2014, 02:05 PM
Clay takes advantage of a short handed Michigan punt team, does a poor heisman impression
http://giant.gfycat.com/HideousImpracticalAustraliankestrel.gif

Sitake seems satisfied with a recent defensive performance:
http://wearethereids.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/KilaniSitake-FiredUP.gif

LA Ute
09-21-2014, 02:12 PM
Here's Colin Cowherd's tweet during the game: "Utah, the 13th best team in the PAC 12, leads Michigan at half. Oh boy."

Seems a bit harsh. The only way to get past all that is for the Utes to keep winning and to prove they belong.

Diehard Ute
09-21-2014, 02:16 PM
Here's Colin Cowherd's tweet during the game: "Utah, the 13th best team in the PAC 12, leads Michigan at half. Oh boy."

Seems a bit harsh. The only way to get past all that is for the Utes to keep winning and to prove they belong.

Or glue Cowherds fingers together so the world is free of his Twitter drivel

chrisrenrut
09-21-2014, 02:41 PM
Block by lineman gets us an extra 65 yards, missed block by receivers prevents a touchdown:

http://wearethereids.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

UtahsMrSports
09-21-2014, 11:09 PM

I like Colin. But he definitely beats a dead horse over the big ten. He likely doesnt know a thing about Utah, but taking a shot furthers his agenda.

LA Ute
09-21-2014, 11:18 PM
I like Colin. But he definitely beats a dead horse over the big ten. He likely doesnt know a thing about Utah, but taking a shot furthers his agenda.

He was incredibly dismissive of the Utes back in 2008 prior to the Sugar Bowl. I've always enjoyed that memory.

Utah
09-22-2014, 12:00 AM

Colin does/says nothing unless he thinks he can get a response. Every post, every quote, every minute is about getting clicks and re-tweets. He is very smart in that aspect. Keeps himself relevant and us talking about him.

Utah
09-22-2014, 01:06 AM
Michigan's defense isn't nearly as good as advertised. You'd think some local "expert" would look into this, but I guess it's above their pay raise.

Here are some numbers:

- Michigan has 4 sacks through 3 games. They have no pass rush. In comparison (and remember, both Utah and Michigan have played two patsies and Michigan has played 3 games vs Utah playing two) Utah has 8 sacks by my count.

- Michigan has 1 TO in 3 games.

- In the first half, Notre Dame averaged 6 yards per play. Their first two drives of the second half yielded over 5 yards per play and 1 TD. Then ND shut down their offense. From that point on (remember, ND averaged 6 yards per play in the first half and first two drives of the second half), ND average 1 yard per play.

- Yes, ND only averaged 2.6 yards per carry rushing vs Michigan in the first half and the first two drives of the second half. But, Michigan gave up 8.1 yards per pass attempt and 13.5 yards per completion. Oh, and Michigan also gave up 28 points.

So, why does Michigan's defense look so good? It's not their defense. They gave up 6 yards per play to ND when ND tried and were down by 28 points when ND stopped playing. That isn't stout defense at all.

What covers up Michigan's defense is their offense. And no, their offense isn't good. It's just SLOW. BIG TIME. In Michigan's three games, they have averaged 2 plays/min vs ND, 1.96 plays per minute vs Miami (no, not that Miami), and 1.82 plays per minute vs App St.

They are old school slow. Huddle up, take a deep breath, relax, run the clock down, go run a play.

Compare that to Utah's offense this year. We averaged 3 plays per minute vs ISU and 2.63 plays per minute against FSU.

Michigan struggled BIG TIME vs hurry up teams last year. We will score points tomorrow. Throw in that Michigan ran a 6 man front vs ND, which ND ate up, and two of their 4 starting DB's are hurt....Well, you decide how great their defense is.

Call me a homer, but the numba's don't lie.

http://simplemanslifeutahutes.blogspot.com/2014/09/michigans-defense-mirage.html

Just for clarification, here are my out of context stats.

I mean, you can look at those stats, which we taken after watching games and analyzing what was done on the field, or you can do what justaute did, and look at the boxscore and see Michigan out gained ND and claim Michigan's defense is out of this world.

My goodness, even on the day of the game, ESPN posted and blurb about how Michigan's defense hasn't been very impressive this year.

Brian
09-22-2014, 08:04 AM
I really like this team. Loved the toughness of the defense. I thought it would be a long night after that first Michigan drive, but they adjusted and completely shut them down. G. Paul, what a dude. Can't wait to see him once he gets his game legs at 100%.
At dinner last night, my daughter reminded me of the toughness difference between Wynn and Wilson. Ya, that was a stupid move, but you have to love the drive in the kid. He wore that busted-up-face smile very well.
Loved the all-red crowd in the big house after the rain delay. That was pretty cool looking. Other than the band, how many michigan fans stayed?

Bring the bus by my stop JIC, I've got the fare if my hand.

UBlender
09-22-2014, 08:15 AM
-If KT, is ever forced into being the starter, im not sure we will win a single game.

While I think it is painfully obvious to anyone who thought otherwise that Travis Wilson is and always has been the guy at QB, I think you're a little harsh on Thompson. He had a very rough start, but the next drive where he bounced back and led the team down for the FG was huge at that point in the game. It established a rhythm for our offense and brought momentum back to our side after the pick six. Thompson was poised and made good throws, including one that could have/should have been a TD. I think Utah still wins a closer game if Thompson plays the entire second half. As backup QBs go he is not bad and he will get better.

sancho
09-22-2014, 08:42 AM
While I think it is painfully obvious to anyone who thought otherwise that Travis Wilson is and always has been the guy at QB, I think you're a little harsh on Thompson. He had a very rough start, but the next drive where he bounced back and led the team down for the FG was huge at that point in the game. It established a rhythm for our offense and brought momentum back to our side after the pick six. Thompson was poised and made good throws, including one that could have/should have been a TD. I think Utah still wins a closer game if Thompson plays the entire second half. As backup QBs go he is not bad and he will get better.

I'm with you. Also, give credit to our coaches. When KT came in, Michigan pinned back their ears. This is the defense that has killed us for 3 years now with backup QBs. It killed us again initially, but we finally made some adjustments that worked. The ball was out of KT's hands immediately after the snap that entire FG drive. Check it out:

Matt Wile (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/511702/matt-wile) kickoff for 65 yds for a touchback

1st and 10 at UTAH 25
Devontae Booker (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/3122866/devontae-booker) run for 3 yds to the Utah 28

2nd and 7 at UTAH 28
Kendal Thompson (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/514737/kendal-thompson) pass complete to Dres Anderson (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/503036/dres-anderson) for 8 yds to the Utah 36 for a 1ST down

1st and 10 at UTAH 36
Kendal Thompson (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/514737/kendal-thompson) pass complete to Kaelin Clay (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/504726/kaelin-clay) for 13 yds to the Utah 49 for a 1ST down

1st and 10 at UTAH 49
Kendal Thompson (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/514737/kendal-thompson) run for a loss of 1 yard to the Utah 48

2nd and 11 at UTAH 48
Kendal Thompson (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/514737/kendal-thompson) pass complete to Devontae Booker (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/3122866/devontae-booker) for 3 yds to the Mich 49

3rd and 8 at MICH 49
Kendal Thompson (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/514737/kendal-thompson) pass complete to Kenneth Scott (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/503054/kenneth-scott) for 9 yds to the Mich 40 for a 1ST down

1st and 10 at MICH 40
Kendal Thompson (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/514737/kendal-thompson) run for 1 yd to the Mich 39

2nd and 9 at MICH 39
Kendal Thompson (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/514737/kendal-thompson) pass incomplete to Kenneth Scott (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/503054/kenneth-scott)

3rd and 9 at MICH 39
Kendal Thompson (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/514737/kendal-thompson) run for 12 yds to the Mich 27 for a 1ST down

1st and 10 at MICH 27
Devontae Booker (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/3122866/devontae-booker) run for 9 yds to the Mich 18

Timeout MICHIGAN, clock 02:14

2nd and 1 at MICH 18
Kendal Thompson (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/514737/kendal-thompson) pass incomplete to Bubba Poole (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/537727/bubba-poole)

Timeout UTAH, clock 02:07

3rd and 1 at MICH 18
Devontae Booker (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/3122866/devontae-booker) run for 1 yd to the Mich 17 for a 1ST down

1st and 10 at MICH 17
Kendal Thompson (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/514737/kendal-thompson) run for a loss of 1 yard to the Mich 18

2nd and 11 at MICH 18
Devontae Booker (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/3122866/devontae-booker) run for 5 yds to the Mich 13

Timeout UTAH, clock 00:59

3rd and 6 at MICH 13
Kendal Thompson (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/514737/kendal-thompson) sacked by Frank Clark (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/511704/frank-clark) for a loss of 13 yards to the Mich 26

4th and 19 at MICH 26
MICHIGAN Penalty, Sideline Interference (5 Yards) to the Mich 21

Timeout UTAH, clock 00:03

4th and 14 at MICH 21
Andy Phillips (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/531041/andy-phillips) 38 yd FG GOOD

Applejack
09-22-2014, 08:58 AM
Hey party people! It was a great weekend in Ann Arbor - lots of pageantry, hoopla, and "sister wife" taunts. It was a lot of fun to be in that huge, empty stadium with about 2,000 Ute fans and about 300 Michigan fans. It felt like a Utah 2A high school game. I agree with a lot of what has been posted, but here is my take on the game.

Michigan
- Michigan is going to struggle to score this year. Gardner was just awful. Funchess is the real deal and is a huge weapon, but after the first couple of drives we just started putting a linebacker underneath him and a db/safety over the top. Gardner can't make teams pay for that.
- On the other hand, Michigan's D is good. Their front 7 are really stout and their DBs were all over Kenny and Dres. I think this was Dres' quietest game in a couple of years, but that is largely due to the Michigan defense. Most of our success game in running slow drag routes (Dres' touchdown) and screens to Bubba.

Offense
- Our offensive line really got manhandled in the first half. But give them and the coaches a ton of credit for coming out on the first drive of the second half and dominating. That first quick drive was amazing - the O-line was opening holes for Bubba/Booker and giving Travis a ton of time to think. I think Michigan was surprised by how physical we started that second half.
- Travis is a fighter. He needs to stop jumping.
- I'm not as down on Kendall T. as a lot of people. Yes, his TD pass was redonkulous, but he put together a nice drive right away that resulted in a field goal. He is actually a pretty accurate passer, but he takes about four seconds to wind up. I think he'll live on the short outs. As a runner, he dances too much for my taste, but he usually gets positive yards.

Defense
- This was the coming out party for Tevin Carter. I hadn't really noticed him in the first two games, but he was all over the field on Saturday. He was a killer on the wide sweeps and played great pass defense. He and Blechen make up a big-hitting safety combo.
- Jionni Paul does not look like a football player. He's short, round, and walks like he just got off of a horse. But he has a nose for the ball. I think he's the most instinctive linebacker that we've had at Utah since Sly. He came up limping on his foot on a couple of plays, though. I hope he's fully healed because we need him.
- Domo is going to be our lockdown corner for the next two years.
- I love Justin Thomas. The kid is tiny, but he's a fighter. He must have been involved in three or four scuffles with guys twice his size. Late in the game when Michigan was trying to come back they brought in a 5'6' slot receiver. I don't think Thomas knew how to guard someone his own size.
- Jason Fanaika has a lot of speed. On one of Michigan's longer runs (12ish yards), he tracked down the running back from behind. Impressive for a bowling ball d-lineman.

Special Teams
- A+

concerned
09-22-2014, 09:07 AM
Did Shepard ever come back in the game? Is he seriously injured?

UtahsMrSports
09-22-2014, 09:24 AM
I'm with you. Also, give credit to our coaches. When KT came in, Michigan pinned back their ears. This is the defense that has killed us for 3 years now with backup QBs. It killed us again initially, but we finally made some adjustments that worked. The ball was out of KT's hands immediately after the snap that entire FG drive. Check it out:

Matt Wile (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/511702/matt-wile) kickoff for 65 yds for a touchback

1st and 10 at UTAH 25
Devontae Booker (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/3122866/devontae-booker) run for 3 yds to the Utah 28

2nd and 7 at UTAH 28
Kendal Thompson (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/514737/kendal-thompson) pass complete to Dres Anderson (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/503036/dres-anderson) for 8 yds to the Utah 36 for a 1ST down

1st and 10 at UTAH 36
Kendal Thompson (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/514737/kendal-thompson) pass complete to Kaelin Clay (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/504726/kaelin-clay) for 13 yds to the Utah 49 for a 1ST down

1st and 10 at UTAH 49
Kendal Thompson (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/514737/kendal-thompson) run for a loss of 1 yard to the Utah 48

2nd and 11 at UTAH 48
Kendal Thompson (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/514737/kendal-thompson) pass complete to Devontae Booker (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/3122866/devontae-booker) for 3 yds to the Mich 49

3rd and 8 at MICH 49
Kendal Thompson (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/514737/kendal-thompson) pass complete to Kenneth Scott (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/503054/kenneth-scott) for 9 yds to the Mich 40 for a 1ST down

1st and 10 at MICH 40
Kendal Thompson (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/514737/kendal-thompson) run for 1 yd to the Mich 39

2nd and 9 at MICH 39
Kendal Thompson (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/514737/kendal-thompson) pass incomplete to Kenneth Scott (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/503054/kenneth-scott)

3rd and 9 at MICH 39
Kendal Thompson (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/514737/kendal-thompson) run for 12 yds to the Mich 27 for a 1ST down

1st and 10 at MICH 27
Devontae Booker (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/3122866/devontae-booker) run for 9 yds to the Mich 18

Timeout MICHIGAN, clock 02:14

2nd and 1 at MICH 18
Kendal Thompson (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/514737/kendal-thompson) pass incomplete to Bubba Poole (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/537727/bubba-poole)

Timeout UTAH, clock 02:07

3rd and 1 at MICH 18
Devontae Booker (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/3122866/devontae-booker) run for 1 yd to the Mich 17 for a 1ST down

1st and 10 at MICH 17
Kendal Thompson (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/514737/kendal-thompson) run for a loss of 1 yard to the Mich 18

2nd and 11 at MICH 18
Devontae Booker (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/3122866/devontae-booker) run for 5 yds to the Mich 13

Timeout UTAH, clock 00:59

3rd and 6 at MICH 13
Kendal Thompson (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/514737/kendal-thompson) sacked by Frank Clark (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/511704/frank-clark) for a loss of 13 yards to the Mich 26

4th and 19 at MICH 26
MICHIGAN Penalty, Sideline Interference (5 Yards) to the Mich 21

Timeout UTAH, clock 00:03

4th and 14 at MICH 21
Andy Phillips (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/531041/andy-phillips) 38 yd FG GOOD

Yes, I agree. He did a good job on that drive.

My point is, Ive seen this episode before. Terrance Cain looked awesome running and throwing quick screens. What happens when we get a holding penalty and are faced with a 3rd and 14? I need to see more. But as others have pointed, as far as backups go, he is adequate.

sancho
09-22-2014, 09:45 AM
My point is, Ive seen this episode before. Terrance Cain looked awesome running and throwing quick screens. What happens when we get a holding penalty and are faced with a 3rd and 14? I need to see more. But as others have pointed, as far as backups go, he is adequate.

Yes, we've seen this horror movie too many times. My point, though, is that drive represented progress above what we were capable of with Shultz last year. It's not just TK > Shultz either. The entire offense is just in a better place.

3rd and 14 is still a problem (and is it just me, or does KT have way too many carries for loss in each of his appearances this year?). But at least there's some hope on 1st and 10.

LA Ute
09-22-2014, 10:43 AM

All things considered, I felt even better about Thompson after this game than I did before. Whatever might be said about the horrific pick six, he shook that off (which shows mental toughness all by itself) and led a very nice and important drive, as you note.

mpfunk
09-22-2014, 10:44 AM

Colin Cowherd molests goats. No one should ever give a damn what the goat molester says or ever pay any attention to him.

The only good thing about Colin Cowherd is that he spawned one of the greatest fjm.com posts of all time.
http://www.firejoemorgan.com/2006/01/12-minutes-of-hell-with-colin-cowherd.html

LA Ute
09-22-2014, 10:58 AM
The only good thing about Colin Cowherd is that he spawned one of the greatest fjm.com posts of all time.
http://www.firejoemorgan.com/2006/01/12-minutes-of-hell-with-colin-cowherd.html

:clap:

LA Ute
09-22-2014, 11:51 AM
Pac-12 Announces Football Players of the Week

SAN FRANCISCO - Wide receiver Cayleb Jones of ARIZONA, linebacker Gionni Paul of UTAH and kicker Andy Phillips of UTAH have been named offensive, defensive and special teams Pac-12 Players of the Week in football.

Jones, a sophomore from Austin, Texas, gave the Wildcats life in a 22-point second-half rally to stun California, 49-45, in Tucson. Jones hauled in a career-high 13 receptions for 186 yards and three second-half touchdowns, including a pair of scoring grabs in the fourth quarter. Jones had nine catches for 127 yards and 3 TD in second half alone (5-59, 2 TD in fourth quarter). His two fourth quarter touchdown grabs (16 and 15 yards) brought UA within eight and two-point margins to keep the hopes for Austin Hill’s winning Hail Mary catch alive. Of Jones’ 13 catches, nine resulted in first downs or touchdowns. The 13 receptions are second-most in school single-game history, one shy of Jeremy McDaniel’s record of 14 set against California in 1996. McDaniel’s performance came in a four-overtime affair, leaving Jones’ 13-catch output as the most in regulation.. The 186 receiving yards for Jones set a new career-high and rank No. 12 in single-game history at Arizona. Jones topped the 100-yard mark for the third-straight game.

Paul, a junior from Winter Haven, Fla., made his first appearance as a Ute since transferring from Miami (Fla.), and helped Utah take down Michigan on the road, 26-10. Paul, a redshirt last year who missed the first two games of this season while recovering from a foot injury suffered in the spring, had a game-high 14 tackles at Michigan, along with an interception and a fumble recovery. In the fourth quarter, his interception stopped Michigan’s first drive. Much later, after a two-hour, 24-minute weather delay, he recovered a fumble to halt the Wolverines on their first series out of the break. Paul led a Utes defense that never allowed the Michigan offense to enter the red zone.

Phillips, a sophomore from Draper, Utah, accounted for more than half of Utah’s points in its 26-10 win over Michigan, making 4-of-5 field goals and 2-of-2 PATs for a total of 14 points. His clutch performance in the Big House featured makes from 35, 38, 48 and 50 yards. His only miss came after a lengthy rain delay, when his 41-yard attempt bounced off the upright. Phillips became the first Ute to make four field goals in a game since 2011 (Coleman Peterson). Phillips also had five touchbacks on six kickoffs.

Also nominated for Offensive Player of the Week: Nelson Spruce, WR, COLO; Sean Mannion QB, OSU; Connor Halliday, QB, WSU; Also nominated for Defensive Player of the Week: Scooby Wright III, LB, ARIZ; Greg Henderson, CB, COLO; Michael Doctor, LB, OSU; Jeremiah Allison, LB, WSU; Also nominated for Special Teams Player of the Week: Darragh O’Neill, P, COLO;

U-Ute
09-22-2014, 02:12 PM
One thing this game probably did was to convince everyone that Wilson should be our starting QB.

Thompson had a few early miscues, which I can attribute to a bit of jitters and rust, but then he then bounced back and played well. When Wilson came in at the beginning of the second half and just dominated Michigan, it should have cemented his position as the #1 QB in the minds of Ute fans.

LA Ute
09-23-2014, 10:49 PM
Watching a bit of the replay tonight, I'm struck by the difference between UM's uniforms and Utah's. I like our whites, but they look a little busy. UM's, in contrast, are simpler and more iconic. I think Under Armor tries to do too much sometimes.

Mormon Red Death
09-24-2014, 06:08 AM
Watching a bit of the replay tonight, I'm struck by the difference between UM's uniforms and Utah's. I like our whites, but they look a little busy. UM's, in contrast, are simpler and more iconic. I think Under Armor tries to do too much sometimes.

We looked like Wisconsin with the White helmets.

LA Ute
09-24-2014, 03:48 PM
Blechen wins this for his hit on Funchess:
(http://pac-12.com/videos/usa-football-fundamental-play-week-sept-15-21?utm_source=HootSuite&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=JustinKarpPosts)
USA Football 'Fundamental Play of the Week' for Sept. 15-21 (http://pac-12.com/videos/usa-football-fundamental-play-week-sept-15-21?utm_source=HootSuite&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=JustinKarpPosts)

concerned
09-24-2014, 06:33 PM

highly preferable to looking like SDSU with the black helmets

LA Ute
09-24-2014, 07:17 PM
highly preferable to looking like SDSU with the black helmets

Yessir.

sancho
09-24-2014, 08:20 PM

I was thinking how I prefer two-color uniforms and I got to wondering about whether the great looks in college football tend to involve two or three colors.

For two colors, you have Michigan, Alabama, Penn St, Texas, Oklahoma, Penn State, Michigan St, Wisconsin, A&M, Tennessee

For three, USC, Notre Dame, LSU, UCLA, UW, Oregon, Clemson, FSU

I don't really have a point, but I do prefer two color combos for the Utes:

All white with red numbers/trim.

All black with white numbers/trim.

Red/white combos.

Applejack
09-25-2014, 07:28 AM

I thought we looked like Nebraska. I like the all-white helmet, but hate the all-white unis.

sancho
09-25-2014, 08:34 AM
I thought we looked like Nebraska.

Nebraska, Wisconsin. Both classic looks. Both much much better than looking like SDSU or the Atlanta Falcons.

U-Ute
09-29-2014, 11:52 AM

Is there an emergency exit on this bus?