PDA

View Full Version : The Crazy Pirate Comes to Rice-Eccles: Utah v. Wazzu, 2014

LA Ute
09-21-2014, 09:32 AM
Fire away. I expect a wild game with the Utes dropping at least 40 on the Cougars. The team will have the eye of the tiger and this will be fun to watch.

NorthwestUteFan
09-21-2014, 09:45 AM
I am nervous of the fact Mariota was sacked FIVE TIMES IN THE FIRST HALF vs WSU. Yes, Oregon has a bunch of new O linemen this year. But Michigan State's stellar defense couldn't manage that feat against the same O linemen.

That said, Michigan's pass defense is better than WSU's and I expect we will see more offensive production from the passing game. I want to see more explosive plays out of Patrick and Dres, some big running plays, and to limit turnovers.

I worry about big #1 for WSU. He is huge, strong, fast, and has great hands. He is a bit like Funchess at Michigan.

And I only want to see Travis Wilson jumping on a basketball or volleyball court. Never, ever, ever again on the football field.

Dawminator
09-21-2014, 09:49 AM
Oregon's OL was almost completely different against WSU than MSU due to injury.

USS Utah
09-21-2014, 10:22 AM
And I only want to see Travis Wilson jumping on a basketball or volleyball court. Never, ever, ever again on the football field.

http://a.espncdn.com/media/motion/2014/0920/dm_140920_ncf_utah_traviswilson/dm_140920_ncf_utah_traviswilson.jpg

Travis "Bulldog" Wilson.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ByBVm_FCYAAtIFe.jpg

According to Kaelin Clay, that's the nickname the team gave its starting QB.

SoCalPat
09-21-2014, 10:30 AM
Early stab at an opening line is Utah -11.5

SoCalPat
09-21-2014, 10:46 AM
Washington State is a very prolific passing team, but Utah is both more efficient and deadly, with a higher yards-per-attempt and yards-per-completion numbers than Wazzu.

I will be very interested to see the role Gionni Paul plays in this game. He adds a new dimension to the kind of pressure we bring on a QB.

If we can get a lead, we should be able to control clock with Booker and Poole. Those two should have a big day.

UTEopia
09-21-2014, 12:12 PM
Fire away. I expect a wild game with the Utes dropping at least 40 on the Cougars. The team will have the eye of the tiger and this will be fun to watch.

Unfortunately, I expect this to be very much like the Oregon St. game from last year. It looks like our DBs have learned how to catch and they will not let the ball go through their hands for the winning touchdown in overtime.

Ma'ake
09-21-2014, 02:57 PM
Similar situation this week with Leach having a fair amount of disgruntled Wazzu fans to deal with.

The Cougs looked pretty competitive with Oregon, they were amped up, but didn't get it done.

It would be really big to get some passes tipped at the LOS, early, turn it into a pick fest, make them fold.

SigmaUte
09-21-2014, 04:00 PM
I worry about big #1 for WSU. He is huge, strong, fast, and has great hands. He is a bit like Funchess at Michigan.

There is no way that WSU's #1 is as good as Michigan's #1 Devon Funchess. That being said, I am cautiously optimistic this game. I hope Utah settles down after the win over Michigan and focuses on WSU. Nobody can be overlooked.

It is at home and Utah is an entirely different beast at home. Utah might be the most difficult team to play at home in the PAC12 outside of Oregon. WSU bring a completely different challenge than Michigan does. I think this one will be high scoring either a shootout or (optimistically) a blowout by Utah.

sancho
09-21-2014, 04:03 PM
There is no way that WSU's #1 is as good as Michigan's #1 Devon Funchess.

No, but Cracraft + Halliday > Funchess + Gardner.

Plus, WSU has more than just one receiving option.

Diehard Ute
09-21-2014, 04:10 PM
It will be interesting to see Wazzu's mental state.

They could either be bolstered by their game last week, or could take a mental hit for giving it such a good shot and coming up short.

There is no doubt they're talented in the passing game, but they do seem to be rather one dimensional.

I like the Utes chances at home

FountainOfUte
09-21-2014, 04:11 PM
While WSU is improved (and beat us last year) I think we roll in this one. We win by a couple of TDs.

DrumNFeather
09-21-2014, 07:05 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/media/motion/2014/0920/dm_140920_ncf_utah_traviswilson/dm_140920_ncf_utah_traviswilson.jpg

Travis "Bulldog" Wilson.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ByBVm_FCYAAtIFe.jpg

According to Kaelin Clay, that's the nickname the team gave its starting QB.
I kinda wish he would've hollered out a "yo Adrienne! "

justaute
09-21-2014, 07:35 PM
Definitely agree with you here, sancho. And, all those crossing routes by Leach do concern me a bit.

No, but Cracraft + Halliday > Funchess + Gardner.

Plus, WSU has more than just one receiving option.

SoCalPat
09-21-2014, 09:29 PM
Early stab at an opening line is Utah -11.5

Swish! Although line is now Utah -10.

chrisrenrut
09-22-2014, 09:32 AM
Swish! Although line is now Utah -10.

I'm curious, what is the over/under for this game? I'm guessing 70 or higher.

Sorry for appearing too lazy to look on my own. I can't access gambling sites from work.

SoCalPat
09-22-2014, 09:34 AM
I'm curious, what is the over/under for this game? I'm guessing 70 or higher.

Sorry for appearing too lazy to look on my own. I can't access gambling sites from work.

Totals for college games are never released at the same time as the opening line. Probably won't be a total issued until tomorrow.

concerned
09-22-2014, 09:37 AM
Totals for college games are never released at the same time as the opening line. Probably won't be a total issued until tomorrow.

so how did you figure the spread at 10?

Scorcho
09-22-2014, 09:38 AM
horrific missed PI call on Oregon in the 4th Quarter of that game. If Wash. St ties it on that drive who knows what happens?

I think WSU is dangerous but still believe Utah is the better team. Utah settled for far too many field goals on Saturday, that won't work against WSU

SoCalPat
09-22-2014, 09:54 AM
so how did you figure the spread at 10?

The line was posted yesterday afternoon. But with all the NFL action going on Sunday-Monday, plus the next week's NFL lines that need to be up Sunday, books don't have time to issue sides AND totals for 50-60 college games.

mpfunk
09-22-2014, 10:34 AM
I'm really nervous about this game. I'm still concerned about the Utes ability to defend the pass and Wazzu can certainly air it out. I also don't think that Wazzu can stop our offense. I see this as a shootout and I'm really hoping the Utes can pull this one out. If we can get this win, I'll finally be confident that the Utes can make a bowl this year.

Also, with Paul and Norris (with Orchard playing some LB) and the Utes running primarily a 4-2-5 this year, I'm finally confident in our LBers. I'm not sure the last time I wasn't really worried about the Utes LBers.

Senioritis
09-22-2014, 10:41 AM
I'm really nervous about this game. I'm still concerned about the Utes ability to defend the pass and Wazzu can certainly air it out. I also don't think that Wazzu can stop our offense. I see this as a shootout and I'm really hoping the Utes can pull this one out. If we can get this win, I'll finally be confident that the Utes can make a bowl this year.

Also, with Paul and Norris (with Orchard playing some LB) and the Utes running primarily a 4-2-5 this year, I'm finally confident in our LBers. I'm not sure the last time I wasn't really worried about the Utes LBers.

Funk, you sure you're feeling OK? This is probably the most positive thing I've seen from you about the Mighty Utes in about two seasons. I like it! If we can get you on board, perhaps my overly-cynical father is next, and he will stop bitching every time any opponent has the audacity to get a first down.

Applejack
09-22-2014, 11:40 AM
This will be the first real test for the DBs. They've steadily improved each game, but this is a real test. I think we'll have to give Orphey some run since WSU really loads up with wideouts. That alone makes me nervous. I like Domo, Rowe, and J.T., but after that we're really untested. The offense will definitely get more space to work than it had last week.

I just hope that we can get a few INTs - hopefully they fold since they are almost ineligible for a bowl at this point.

Dawminator
09-22-2014, 01:32 PM
I am curious as to what our defense will look like in this game.

I think a 3-3-5 could cause some serious issues for pass happy WSU. Put Fanaika-Mokofisi-Dimick on the DL with Norris-Paul-Orchard in middle and Rowe-Thomas-Carter-Blechen-Hatfield in the back. You could bring some interesting pressures with LB/DE hybrid Orchard just floating around and Paul and Norris have shown the ability to cause all sorts of havoc. Regardless, I am excited to see what Whit and Sitake have in store for the WSU offense.

Dawminator
09-22-2014, 01:34 PM

I think a 3-3-5 could cause some serious issues for pass happy WSU. Put Fanaika-Mokofisi-Dimick on the DL with Norris-Paul-Orchard in middle and Rowe-Thomas-Carter-Blechen-Hatfield in the back. You could bring some interesting pressures with LB/DE hybrid Orchard just floating around and Paul and Norris have shown the ability to cause all sorts of havoc. Regardless, I am excited to see what Whit and Sitake have in store for the WSU offense.

I will add my predictions for the defense:

6 sacks (add another 2 for Orchard)
3 picks (Paul/Blechen/Carter)
9 TFLs
350 yards in the air
25 yards on the ground

Applejack
09-22-2014, 01:49 PM

I'm also excited to see Pita in this game. At the end of the Michigan game he had a couple of nice QB hurries with the same move he always does - outside rush.

Jarid in Cedar
09-22-2014, 02:43 PM
I think the key to this game is that our backs are going to run wild. I expect to see big yards from Wilson, Poole, and especially Booker. Wazzu only stayed in the game because of the sacks. Despite the sack yards, Oregon still had 172 yards on 42 carries(the 7 sacks counted in the carries). The red cougars are 99th in rushing defense(173.5 yds/gm). The other thing is that Wazzu has 4 new starters in the secondary. They are 98th in passing defense yards(247 yds/gm) and 114th in passing rating(149.6).

Basically, Wazzu got the crowd and its team into the game blitzing Oregon's patchwork line with reckless abandon. Once they had some emotion, they were able to hang.

The key is to get out to an early lead. Last year we were down 21-0 less than 10 minutes into the game. Not going to go down that way this year.

We are going to hang a big offensive number this week. i am curious to see how our back 7 will compete as compared to last season.

LA Ute
09-22-2014, 04:23 PM
Todd McShay:

Who is the most underrated team in the country?Todd McShay: The past two weeks, I've felt as though Oklahoma was the most underrated team in the country. Now that the Sooners have ascended to No. 1 in the ESPN Power Rankings and No. 4 in the AP poll, it's time to jump off that soapbox. Two other teams that I feel are undervalued are West Virginia and Clemson, because their losses have come against really good teams, and I think they're a lot better than some undefeated ranked teams that haven't really played anybody yet.
But I'm going to go outside the box here and pick Utah (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/254/utah-utes). I get it; the Utes' first two games were against underwhelming opponents. But while Michigan is struggling, it is still a talented team, and the fact that Utah was able to fly across the country and earn a convincing 26-10 victory in front of 100,000-plus opposing fans is really impressive.

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11566890/michigan-state-spartans-nation-most-underrated-teams-college-football?src=mobile&rand=ref~%7B%22ref%22%3A%22https%3A%2F%2Fwww.faceb ook.com%2F%22%7D

SigmaUte
09-22-2014, 07:33 PM
The key is to get out to an early lead. Last year we were down 21-0 less than 10 minutes into the game. Not going to go down that way this year.

BINGO. We win last year without the Pick-sixes and giving them an early 21-0 lead. We win big this year al la 2012; at home, with a healthy Travis Wilson, better overall receivers, one-two punch with Booker and Poole, and another tough, Utah defense.

LA Ute
09-22-2014, 10:14 PM
I'm watching the replay of WSU-Oregon. The red Cougars don't look bad at all. It'll be interesting to see how Utah deals with Halliday's quick delivery of the ball. The WSU receivers can get downfield fast too. Oregon seems a little shocked.

Solon
09-22-2014, 10:38 PM
I'm watching the replay of WSU-Oregon. The red Cougars don't look bad at all. It'll be interesting to see how Utah deals with Halliday's quick delivery of the ball. The WSU receivers can get downfield fast too. Oregon seems a little shocked.

Win or lose, I love the chance to see the Utes compete in games like this.
I am with JIC. This will be a game to run the ball.

Devildog
09-22-2014, 10:42 PM
Utes beat Wazzu, Period. Quote me.

Jarid in Cedar
09-22-2014, 11:10 PM
Utes beat Wazzu, Period. Quote me.

LA Ute
09-22-2014, 11:16 PM

Halliday's good. I think Utah will stop him in the end but he's fun to watch. WSU looks pretty bad against the run, though. Oregon, with not much of an O-line, seems to be running well on them. Man, Mariota is fast.

SigmaUte
09-23-2014, 08:17 AM

I am interested to see if Utah's pass rush will be able to get to Halliday in time considering how fast he can get the ball out and to a reciever.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-23-2014, 02:44 PM

I think we run the ball loads on Saturday. Not just because we'll be able to, but because it will eat up clock and the best way to stop Halliday is to keep him off the field. I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with more rushing yards than passing. A little disappointed, but not surprised.

I'd also be a lot more worried about this game if WSU was more balanced. But since they are 90% through the air, I have confidence in Sitake scheming against a one dimensional offense. Especially at home. Utes by 17.

U-Ute
09-23-2014, 03:32 PM
I am interested to see if Utah's pass rush will be able to get to Halliday in time considering how fast he can get the ball out and to a reciever.

The way we press up on receivers, their timing will be thrown of.

Where we got burned last year was in the middle of the field with the slot receivers. IIRC, Honeycutt had a long day.

I think Thomas and Carter are a huge upgrade, not to mention Paul. I think we're more equipped to handle it this year.

Applejack
09-23-2014, 03:33 PM
What are these nasty rumors that Nate O. might not play on Saturday?

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-23-2014, 03:38 PM
What are these nasty rumors that Nate O. might not play on Saturday?

Only rumors I've heard are that he's been spotted today wearing a boot. I reached out to a friend who texted him and his mom and is waiting to hear any news. I'll stick the info in the Uby5 SE. I have not seen any rumors that question his ability to play on Saturday.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-23-2014, 04:44 PM
Well, this (https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/5066F9102E1126325256643379200_212c80b9687.5.1.1715 6432889595121485.mp4?versionId=B1k5idlrMOcu14._5YK Xbmq6qxL2TqwM) solves the question. (Is there a way to embed Vines?)

https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/5066F9102E1126325256643379200_212c80b9687.5.1.1715 6432889595121485.mp4?versionId=B1k5idlrMOcu14._5YK Xbmq6qxL2TqwM

Diehard Ute
09-23-2014, 08:11 PM
The boot stuff is silly. Boots are used as treatment and prevention these days.

sancho
09-24-2014, 09:54 PM

Since most of WSU's pass attack are quick outs, do we rush only 3-4 and put a lot of guys in the holes in the zone? I don't mind giving up 100 yards rushing to these guys if it means we disrupt their air raid.

Or, is that what they want us to do? I don't know much about air raids and how to stop them.

LA Ute
09-24-2014, 11:05 PM
Orchard himself says he's fine and playing:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsutahsports/58452972-59/football-blechen-game-coach.html.csp

Applejack
09-25-2014, 07:19 AM
I'm starting to get a little nervous about this game - classic trap game. WSU is looking at a long season - they are essentially out of bowl contention. Even worse, they may not win a single game (I don't count Portland State); they don't have Colorado on the schedule.

I think they have this game (and Arizona at home) circled on their calendars as "must wins", in the sense that if they don't win one of those, they are looking at an 0-11 record against FBS. They are going to pull out all of the junk plays, tricks, and pirate booty that they have for us.

Diehard Ute
09-25-2014, 07:56 AM
I'm starting to get a little nervous about this game - classic trap game. WSU is looking at a long season - they are essentially out of bowl contention. Even worse, they may not win a single game (I don't count Portland State); they don't have Colorado on the schedule.

I think they have this game (and Arizona at home) circled on their calendars as "must wins", in the sense that if they don't win one of those, they are looking at an 0-11 record against FBS. They are going to pull out all of the junk plays, tricks, and pirate booty that they have for us.

I hope their coaching staff follows their fans (I know that's unlikely)

Their fans believe they have vastly superior talent and gameplans. They believe utah doesn't have any ability to stop their running game (what running game?) or stay with their receivers.

They also believe Utah hasn't played any quality opponents and haven't played a good defense (apparently they didn't watch michigan game)

It's interesting reading their scout board. Their mostly dismissive saying they've proven their legit and utah hasn't.

SoCalPat
09-25-2014, 08:23 AM

That's a very myopic view of WSU. They're not that bad, and the home slate going forward isn't that tough. They'll get at least two at home and can probably get three. But they're not winning this week.

Applejack
09-25-2014, 08:28 AM
That's a very myopic view of WSU. They're not that bad, and the home slate going forward isn't that tough. They'll get at least two at home and can probably get three. But they're not winning this week.

Maybe. I guess it depends on how good Arizona and Cal are. Those are both winnable games, for sure.

UtahsMrSports
09-25-2014, 08:31 AM
Since most of WSU's pass attack are quick outs, do we rush only 3-4 and put a lot of guys in the holes in the zone? I don't mind giving up 100 yards rushing to these guys if it means we disrupt their air raid.

Or, is that what they want us to do? I don't know much about air raids and how to stop them.

The defensive line will all do a bull rush, nothing fancy just try to push the line back and get the hands up. There is absolutely no time for different stunts or fancy footwork. Just push 'em back and get those hands up. We likely won't see any 3-LB sets on saturday, and quite frankly, probably not many 2-LB sets. The LB's and safeties have to read the QB well to jump routes and break up/intercept these quick passes.

sancho
09-25-2014, 08:32 AM
I'm starting to get a little nervous about this game - classic trap game. WSU is looking at a long season - they are essentially out of bowl contention.

I've been nervous ever since the 2nd half vs Rutgers. Halliday was awful in the first half, but he came back and was great at the end. Seemed like they were scoring (easily) every time they touched the ball. Halliday was very precise, and his WRs were blocking very well. He basically won the game for his team, only to have his RB fumble the game away while trying to run out the clock.

You and I know they are eliminated from bowl contention, but they still believe that if they can win this game, they will be back on track. Dangerous team.

UtahsMrSports
09-25-2014, 08:33 AM
I hope their coaching staff follows their fans (I know that's unlikely)

Their fans believe they have vastly superior talent and gameplans. They believe utah doesn't have any ability to stop their running game (what running game?) or stay with their receivers.

They also believe Utah hasn't played any quality opponents and haven't played a good defense (apparently they didn't watch michigan game)

It's interesting reading their scout board. Their mostly dismissive saying they've proven their legit and utah hasn't.

That is so adorable.

DrumNFeather
09-25-2014, 08:44 AM
In watching/listening to all the player and coach interviews, it seems to me like this team is acutely aware that it cannot afford to overlook anyone. They very much seem to have a "take care of business" approach to this season and I think that will carry them through in this game. The first few drives will be critical for setting the tone, and then Kyle needs to keep his foot on the accelerator (which he probably won't because he and Leach are friends). I could see Utah having a 3 score lead heading into the 4th Quarter, and then winning by 14 or 10 after Wazzu outscores us 21-7 or 17-7 in the 4th. I think we win this game because we are the better team, playing at home, and we know we need this win for momentum's sake.

SoCalPat
09-25-2014, 09:01 AM
No point rehashing all of the horrors from last years game, but in spite of it all, we have 2nd and 2 from our own 37, mid-fourth down 6, and Kelvin York gets stuffed for no gain on back-to-back plays. Utah has to punt, the defense gets Wazzu into 3rd and 7, but Halliday goes 71 yards for a TD to Dom Williams, who had a career day against us. Ballgame.

I can guarantee you that if we're in a similar situation this year, we'll let Travis carry the water on at least one such play. If we don't turn the ball over, we win and probably cover. We're at home and I expect our crowd to carry us in moments like Wazzu had last week in Pullman.

SoCalPat
09-25-2014, 09:12 AM
In watching/listening to all the player and coach interviews, it seems to me like this team is acutely aware that it cannot afford to overlook anyone. They very much seem to have a "take care of business" approach to this season and I think that will carry them through in this game. The first few drives will be critical for setting the tone, and then Kyle needs to keep his foot on the accelerator (which he probably won't because he and Leach are friends). I could see Utah having a 3 score lead heading into the 4th Quarter, and then winning by 14 or 10 after Wazzu outscores us 21-7 or 17-7 in the 4th. I think we win this game because we are the better team, playing at home, and we know we need this win for momentum's sake.

I am amazed at the number of people who buy into this. Kyle and Leach ain't brothers, and you can bet Kyle didn't want WSU to avoid being shut out by scoring on the last play of the game. And Kyle's history is full of instances in where he's letting 2s and 3s play as if it's a tie game, rather than just piling into the line on three downs and then punting.

Here's one such example: In 2012, we're up 42-0 vs. Kyle's lifelong blood-brother Mike Leach, mid-fourth when we have the following play:

3rd and 5 at UTAH 47
Adam Schulz (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/518526/adam-schulz) pass complete to Sean Fitzgerald (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/482322/sean-fitzgerald) for 44 yards to the WshSt 9, tackled by Tyree Toomer for a 1ST down.

DrumNFeather
09-25-2014, 09:23 AM
I am amazed at the number of people who buy into this. Kyle and Leach ain't brothers, and you can bet Kyle didn't want WSU to avoid being shut out by scoring on the last play of the game. And Kyle's history is full of instances in where he's letting 2s and 3s play as if it's a tie game, rather than just piling into the line on three downs and then punting.

Here's one such example: In 2012, we're up 42-0 vs. Kyle's lifelong blood-brother Mike Leach, mid-fourth when we have the following play:

3rd and 5 at UTAH 47
Adam Schulz (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/518526/adam-schulz) pass complete to Sean Fitzgerald (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/482322/sean-fitzgerald) for 44 yards to the WshSt 9, tackled by Tyree Toomer for a 1ST down.

It has less to do with Leach and Kyle being friends and more to do with the point that he just doesn't seem willing to pile it on with a lead. If we go up by 2-3 scores on Wazzu, I'd love to see the offense still rolling, but Kyle plays a very conservative game with the lead. Plus, your example from 2012 was like 4 OCs ago. :)

sancho
09-25-2014, 09:28 AM
It has less to do with Leach and Kyle being friends and more to do with the point that he just doesn't seem willing to pile it on with a lead. If we go up by 2-3 scores on Wazzu, I'd love to see the offense still rolling, but Kyle plays a very conservative game with the lead.

I don't agree with this. Kyle has run up the score many times as a head coach. He does (or his OCs, not sure) play conservatively when the situation demands it, though.

LA Ute
09-25-2014, 09:35 AM
If it's possible (and it's not really likely, IMO) I'd love to see another beatdown and to see the Utes pile up some style points.

One thing I've heard Kyle say more than once about this game: It will be a top priority for the Utah defense (especially the Dline but also the DBs) to "shed blocks" in order to be ready for screen passes and to harass Halliday, even if they can't get to him very often because of his quick releases. Lots of those short pass plays are tantamount to running plays and the DL can't be tied up with a blocker, trying to get to Halliday, when he suddenly dumps the ball off to a RB that's right next to them. Or something like that.... Maybe better football minds can help.

DrumNFeather
09-25-2014, 09:58 AM
I don't agree with this. Kyle has run up the score many times as a head coach. He does (or his OCs, not sure) play conservatively when the situation demands it, though.

Still, you can't just shut down your offense to protect a lead. The most glaring example of this off the top of my head is the ASU game last year. Up 19-7 going into the fourth quarter, we went into run, run, pass, punt mode and allowed those guys to come back and win that game. They really had no business winning that game (given the circumstances). That's mostly what I'm talking about here...don't change the game plan, or change what is working if the result of the game could still be in doubt. To slightly paraphrase Dan Hawkins..."It's the Pac 12 Brother!" :)

The Utes had 5 drives in the 4th quarter of that game, none of them went more than three plays and two resulted in turnovers, with the other three being punts.

Even in the 4th quarter of the Stanford game the drives were three and out, allowing the Cardinal to make that game closer than it probably should have.

I believe that (at times) Kyle has become very conservative in protecting the lead...and over the last two 5-7 campaigns, that has proven to be a detriment. I'm not saying let's go out there and throw it all over the yard, but figure out a way to move the chains, keep the clock moving, and keep scoring to reduce the opportunity for the opposition to get back in the game.

DrumNFeather
09-25-2014, 10:02 AM
In other news, 4 of 5 ESPN writers pick the Utes this weekend. :rockon:

Diehard Ute
09-25-2014, 10:12 AM
Seriously, those who are better at rebuttals than I should go check out that WSU Scout thread "Is Utah Legit". There's some good stuff.

Some posters are recognizing they're on the road....others seem to think that won't matter. Many think Travis is soft, and think their defensive line will have a heyday.

I'm looking forward to the game.

USS Utah
09-25-2014, 10:14 AM

I don't think I've actually seen Whit take his foot of the accelerator yet this season.

USS Utah
09-25-2014, 10:26 AM
Seriously, those who are better at rebuttals than I should go check out that WSU Scout thread "Is Utah Legit". There's some good stuff.

Some posters are recognizing they're on the road....others seem to think that won't matter. Many think Travis is soft, and think their defensive line will have a heyday.

I'm looking forward to the game.

Diehard Ute
09-25-2014, 10:29 AM

Yeah, don't have to tell us.

They think he can easily be knocked out of a game as his head isn't right (which is kind of funny. His head probably has more medical endorsements for being sound than any in football)

sancho
09-25-2014, 11:39 AM
Still, you can't just shut down your offense to protect a lead. The most glaring example of this off the top of my head is the ASU game last year.

That game was the most frustrating for me to watch in years. I was actually yelling at my TV during the 4th quarter. I remember screaming for a pass play on a particular 2nd and short. It was a run for no gain.

Still, it's not like we lit up ASU for three quarters and then went away from what was working. What was working went away from us. By that point in the game, it was clear that we could not buy even 1 full second of protection on any pass play. And just one rushing first down may have been enough to seal the deal. It wasn't a horrible strategy, all things considered.

In fact, if you got one of those fancy football win probability calculators and entered the exact parameters of that situation, it would not surprise if simply taking a knee throughout the 4th quarter actually had a higher win probability than throwing the ball. Remember to tell the calculator that we had absolutely shut ASU's offense down up to that point and that our offense had started to completely stall. And that's really why the loss was so awful - we had it in hand. Running out the clock at that point in the game would probably work over 95% of the time.

Finally, how many times over the years have we seen teams blow it by passing in the 4th quarter when simply running out the clock would have likely sealed the deal? Cal @ Arizona this past weekend is the most recent example. Had Cal switched from air raid mode to sit-on-the-clock mode, they win the game. I think your Redskins came from far behind vs Tony Romo last season when Romo threw a bunch of picks in the 4th? Maybe it was the Eagles.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-25-2014, 12:25 PM
still, you can't just shut down your offense to protect a lead. The most glaring example of this off the top of my head is the asu game last year. Up 19-7 going into the fourth quarter, we went into run, run, incomplete pass, punt mode and allowed those guys to come back and win that game. They really had no business winning that game (given the circumstances). That's mostly what i'm talking about here...don't change the game plan, or change what is working if the result of the game could still be in doubt. To slightly paraphrase dan hawkins..."it's the pac 12 brother!" :)

fify

USS Utah
09-25-2014, 01:12 PM
Still, you can't just shut down your offense to protect a lead. The most glaring example of this off the top of my head is the ASU game last year.

Utah built its lead against ASU by running the ball right at the Sun Devils. The passing game, outside of a few plays, was bad.

NorthwestUteFan
09-25-2014, 01:17 PM
WSU should have beat CSU in their bowl game last year but they stayed in Air Raid mode and went 3-and-out with 3 incomplete passes, while stopping the clock, and gave up a quick score to finish the first half. That TD was the difference at the end of the game iirc. Had they run the ball into the line a few times to burn the clock, they would have left CSU without enough time to score.

DrumNFeather
09-25-2014, 01:40 PM
fify

Utah built its lead against ASU by running the ball right at the Sun Devils. The passing game, outside of a few plays, was bad.

All fair points...my observation has just been that we've lacked a killer instinct over the last several seasons and that starts at the top. I'm a Whit guy, and I believe that swagger is back, I'm just pointing out that I would love to see it manifest itself on Saturday and beyond.

Applejack
09-25-2014, 01:47 PM
All fair points...my observation has just been that we've lacked a killer instinct over the last several seasons and that starts at the top. I'm a Whit guy, and I believe that swagger is back, I'm just pointing out that I would love to see it manifest itself on Saturday and beyond.

I'm with DnF on this. In fact, outside of the Urban era, how can fans who have watched Utah football in the last 25 years think otherwise? McBride and Kyle are both run-out-the-clock guys. There is nothing inherently wrong with that - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. And when you have a defensive oriented mindset, you would prefer to lose on defense than on offense.

If you don't have the offensive horses, running out the clock is often the best strategy. Fortunately, I think we have the horses.

sancho
09-25-2014, 01:55 PM
If you don't have the offensive horses, running out the clock is often the best strategy.

My argument is that Whitt is neither a "run-out-the-clock" guy or a "keep-foot-on-accelerator" guy. I think he's just a guy who evaluates the situation and tries to do what's best. He often has not had the horses, and a rush for no gain and 45 seconds off the clock has been the smart thing to do. He sometimes has had the horses, and we pass on 3rd and 6 in the 4th quarter with an 11 point lead vs Alabama in New Orleans. Shoot, sometimes getting that 45 seconds off the clock is the best way to go, even when you do have the horses (again, see Cal).

Applejack
09-25-2014, 01:59 PM
My argument is that Whitt is neither a "run-out-the-clock" guy or a "keep-foot-on-accelerator" guy. I think he's just a guy who evaluates the situation and tries to do what's best. He often has not had the horses, and a rush for no gain and 45 seconds off the clock has been the smart thing to do. He sometimes has had the horses, and we pass on 3rd and 6 in the 4th quarter with an 11 point lead vs Alabama in New Orleans. Shoot, sometimes getting that 45 seconds off the clock is the best way to go, even when you do have the horses (again, see Cal).

Agree completely. McBride and Whit have built their teams around defense. It makes sense that they have been perfectly comfortable protecting leads defensively. I think Whit is adjusting with all of the new firepower in college football/Pac-12.

Jarid in Cedar
09-25-2014, 02:08 PM

I endorse this post. That folks constantly bring up the conservative play calling, rarely have given examples of what should have been done outside of "be more aggressive" or "pass more". Frankly, Whitt plays the end of the game the way that NFL head coaches play the end of the game. In fact, I am going to give a few scenarios and see what everyone wants to do.

Scenario 1:

Team A is up 21-17 with 2:42 left in the fourth quarter. Team A has the ball on their own 25. Team B has 3 timeouts left. Tell me how you want to call the offensive series.

Scenario 2:

Team A is up 21-19 with 4:12 left in the game. Team A has the ball on their own 37. Team B has 2 timeouts. Call the first 3 offensive plays.

Scenario 3:

Team A is up 24-14 with 6:15 left in the game. Team A has the ball on their own 17. Call the first 3 offensive plays.

Besides something vague, I want you to call the first 3 plays, but also list your 3 primary objectives in each scenario, be specific.

Ready, GO!

LA Ute
09-25-2014, 02:13 PM
I endorse this post. That folks constantly bring up the conservative play calling, rarely have given examples of what should have been done outside of "be more aggressive" or "pass more". Frankly, Whitt plays the end of the game the way that NFL head coaches play the end of the game. In fact, I am going to give a few scenarios and see what everyone wants to do.

Scenario 1:

Team A is up 21-17 with 2:42 left in the fourth quarter. Team A has the ball on their own 25. Team B has 3 timeouts left. Tell me how you want to call the offensive series.

Scenario 2:

Team A is up 21-19 with 4:12 left in the game. Team A has the ball on their own 37. Team B has 2 timeouts. Call the first 3 offensive plays.

Scenario 3:

Team A is up 24-14 with 6:15 left in the game. Team A has the ball on their own 17. Call the first 3 offensive plays.

Besides something vague, I want you to call the first 3 plays, but also list your 3 primary objectives in each scenario, be specific.

Ready, GO!

My plan: Text Jarid and ask him what to do.

DrumNFeather
09-25-2014, 02:31 PM

Scenario 1:

Scenario 2:

Scenario 3:

Ready, GO!

That didn't work out too well for Joe Gibbs 2.0 here in D.C.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-25-2014, 02:42 PM

I think Whit, especially given the last few years of injuries, is a "get my #1's off the field as soon as I can. Or, at least try not to put them in risky positions. I'm not sure if this is what people mean by "horses," but the #2's rarely get the same high reward play calls that the 1's get. Therefore, the end result is some clock grinding.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-25-2014, 03:29 PM
Just listened to the Coach Shah interview from practice on the ESPN700 webpage. This part made me laugh.

Of course we want more sacks. Everyone always wants more sacks. We hope to have a lot of sacks on Saturday.

SoCalPat
09-25-2014, 03:45 PM

Scenario 1:

Scenario 2:

Scenario 3:

Ready, GO!

A. If I'm in the NFL, I run on first down 100 percent of the time. With three timeouts, Team B might be content to run the clock to the 2 minute warning. If I'm in college, I still run because that's too early for teams to be using a timeout.

B. I'm gonna pass on first down here, because I've got uncertainty on my side and a successful pass play could really put the screws on the defense. I've also got two downs thereafter to run and get the defense to burn their timeouts.

C. My bread-and-butter run play. I would really like to burn some clock AND flip field position here.

I can't say what I'd do on my next two plays without seeing how I fare on my first.

Scratch
09-25-2014, 03:49 PM

Scenario 1:

Scenario 2:

Scenario 3:

Ready, GO!

Depends a lot on your offense and the opposing team's offense, but given the scores in your hypotheticals I'm assuming slightly below average offenses, or at least slightly below average due to a good opposing defense.

1: Run, run, and either run or a safe pass with a very high likelihood of a completion depending on yards left to gain.

2. Not calling the exact plays, but I would run my normal offense, while limiting anything too risky. Here you have to gain 35 yards, kick a field goal, and eat up 3 minutes.

3. Again, sorry for being too imprecise, but run your standard offense without taking any big risks. I play this a bit more conservatively than scenario 2 due to a 2-score lead (and having to give up 2 TDs to lose) against an anemic offense, but you're not quite in full burn the clock mode yet. Maybe run, screen pass, and then whatever you think is most likely to convert your third down depending on yards remaining.

Jarid in Cedar
09-25-2014, 04:21 PM
For me:

Scenario 1: 1. Run, 2. Run, 3. Run/high percentage pass. My goals are in this sequence:

1. Don't turn it over
2. Burn clock/or make other team burn TO's
3. Get a first down.

Here you have the chance to force a team to use all of their time outs, punt and force them to go 75-80 yards to beat you. Get one first down and the game is over, but I don't think you risk goals 1 or 2. College has the advantage of stopping the chains with a first down, but there is not many teams that run 2 minute offense with any real efficiency.

concerned
09-25-2014, 04:28 PM
For me:

Scenario 1: 1. Run, 2. Run, 3. Run/high percentage pass. My goals are in this sequence:

1. Don't turn it over
3. Get a first down.

Here you have the chance to force a team to use all of their time outs, punt and force them to go 75-80 yards to beat you. Get one first down and the game is over, but I don't think you risk goals 1 or 2. College has the advantage of stopping the chains with a first down, but there is not many teams that run 2 minute offense with any real efficiency.

Scenario 1 assumes you trust your punter and your defense; if the other team has only scored 17 you probably do. What if the score is 41-37?

USS Utah
09-25-2014, 05:25 PM
I endorse this post. That folks constantly bring up the conservative play calling, rarely have given examples of what should have been done outside of "be more aggressive" or "pass more".

It doesn't actually matter what you do: it's "brilliant" if it works and "conservative" if it doesn't. Thus, the "four minute offense" against Utah State last year was brilliant, even though every play was a run, and the play calling in the 4th quarter against ASU was conservative, even though the running game was what had been working the most in the first three quarters.

LA Ute
09-25-2014, 05:57 PM
Interesting read from Light the U. Intro:

You know that feeling you get after you do something great, you know, that feeling of success and achievement? You feel so good, you can’t help but keep that smile off your face? Well, I don’t know about you, but I’ve had that feeling now going on five days! The Utah Utes victory over Michigan, in THE Big House, was like getting an 800 lb monkey off of our backs! Sure, Michigan may not be as good as 99% of the sports world thought they would be, but Utah has been even worse on the road, 1-8 outside of Utah the last two seasons to be exact. So again, this was a big time monkey off the backs of our Utah Utes.

This week, we have an opportunity to get another monkey off our backs. The Utes have yet to win their Pac-12 opener since joining the league three years ago. Yup, the Utes have gone 0-3 versus USC, ASU, and OSU… And I do apologize to bring up old wounds, especially that massacre in Tempe, which I unfortunately witnessed first hand, but anyways… Starting off conference play up 1-0 would be a huge victory, not only in the W/L column but also on the outlook for the rest of the season. I personally think the Utes will protect home field, in a 38-27 victory, but to get a better idea of the Washington State Cougars, we teamed up with Andy Crookston of Coug Center (http://www.cougcenter.com/) in a little Q&A session. So, without further adieu lets get to it… Enjoy!

Read the rest here:

http://lighttheu.com/2014/09/washington-state-cougars-utah-utes-preview-wandy-crookston-coug-center/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+LightTheU+%28Light+The+U%29

Diehard Ute
09-25-2014, 06:03 PM
I think after doing some more reading I understand why some fans from our opponents think our defense isn't as good as it is

Most seem unaware Whitt pulled the starters for the final half of both of the first two games.

Their rational is often "if idaho state can rush for X we can easily do that". Not realizing we pulled players and, according to opposing coaches, played vanilla base defense.

concerned
09-25-2014, 08:26 PM
Is there any reason to think that a 90% chance of t-storms throughout the game doesn't help us more than it helps them?

LA Ute
09-25-2014, 08:55 PM
Is there any reason to think that a 90% chance of t-storms throughout the game doesn't help us more than it helps them?

Someone asked KW about that. He said it's easier to run in the rain than to pass in it. Makes sense to me, so it should help us if our O line can block.

DrumNFeather
09-25-2014, 09:21 PM
What the Giants did to my Redskins tonight...THAT is what I want to see us do on Saturday.

Solon
09-25-2014, 10:50 PM
For me:

1. Don't turn it over
3. Get a first down.

I run to the edges: a sweep burns more clock than a dive. Coach the players to stay inbounds. Huddle between plays. Etc.
I think whit has shown pretty good clock-management. I still have nightmares about Lance Rice running out the clock vs Air Force in 2001.

LA Ute
09-26-2014, 07:37 AM
I run to the edges: a sweep burns more clock than a dive. Coach the players to stay inbounds. Huddle between plays. Etc.
I think whit has shown pretty good clock-management. I still have nightmares about Lance Rice running out the clock vs Air Force in 2001.

I listened to that game via the Internet. At the end I sat by my computer stunned. I could not believe what had just happened. Bill Marcroft couldn't either.

LA Ute
09-26-2014, 08:29 AM
I think after last night's beat down of ASU by UCLA, our game with UCLA on October 4 will be getting
an excellent TV time slot. A great opportunity for Utah if they can take care of business tomorrow.

DrumNFeather
09-26-2014, 09:00 AM
I think after last night's beat down of ASU by UCLA, our game with UCLA on October 4 will be getting
an excellent TV time slot. A great opportunity for Utah if they can take care of business tomorrow.

Any chance we slip into the top 25 with a convincing win?

SoCalPat
09-26-2014, 09:23 AM
Any chance we slip into the top 25 with a convincing win?

Against Wazzu? A lot depends on what the teams ahead of us do.

If we're ranked going into the UCLA game, our game would be the 7th game on Oct. 4 that pits two Top 25 teams against one another.

DrumNFeather
09-26-2014, 09:25 AM

If we're ranked going into the UCLA game, our game would be the 7th game on Oct. 4 that pits two Top 25 teams against one another.

I guess it'd be more likely in the AP than in the coaches where we only had 8 votes, but yeah, a long shot for sure.

LA Ute
09-26-2014, 10:03 AM

I was thinking that UCLA is looking pretty attractive to ESPN right now. But if all those games are available on Oct. 4 then maybe not so much.

Damage U
09-26-2014, 10:21 AM
I'm seeing on Scouts wazzu site that they will be starting a true freshman at safety. Could be interesting...

U-Ute
09-27-2014, 08:00 AM
Weather report for the game: wind and rain.

http://youtu.be/QPq5Mk4ixWk

sancho
09-27-2014, 08:37 AM
Going with the SDSU look today - red jersey, black pants, white trim.

concerned
09-27-2014, 09:10 AM

Red helmet I presume. I hate black pants personally. Hope we are not doomed. If it keeps raining like this all day long, the stadium may just float away

LA Ute
09-27-2014, 11:04 AM

It's also the Cal State Northridge look. I run on that campus almost every day. The Matadors are red and black, baby! Another reason that seeing the Utes use black as a primary uniform color makes my skin crawl.

utefan
09-27-2014, 01:44 PM
I love the black and red. Black pants with red trim, black jerseys with red trim, and black helmets with red trim. That would be perfect.

concerned
09-27-2014, 01:47 PM
I love the black and red. Black pants with red trim, black jerseys with red trim, and black helmets with red trim. That would be perfect.

It may be perfect, but it wouldn't be Utah.

Damage U
09-27-2014, 02:21 PM
Guess I wore the correct color combo scrubs to work today. Must be another sign that the Utes win big.

LA Ute
09-27-2014, 05:35 PM
Heard Jason Fanaika on the pregame show with Riley. He's a very articulate young man with a good attitude.

Mormon Red Death
09-27-2014, 06:04 PM
Hey dumbasses at the PAC 12 network. You have seven f****** channels. You should have the Utah game on the pac-12 mtn

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

OrangeUte
09-27-2014, 06:17 PM
Stupid penalty ruins that opening drive.

OrangeUte
09-27-2014, 06:20 PM
Awesome Rowe w the pick 6!

Applejack
09-27-2014, 06:21 PM
Pick 6!

Applejack
09-27-2014, 06:28 PM
Kaelin clay just saw his last punt of the year. No one will ever kick to him again.

Applejack
09-27-2014, 06:36 PM
Ok, time to drop the hammer, offense.

OrangeUte
09-27-2014, 06:37 PM
Offense has to lay it down. Absolutely. Can't stall here.

OrangeUte
09-27-2014, 06:38 PM
Booker!!!!!

OrangeUte
09-27-2014, 06:38 PM
That was beautiful.

NorthwestUteFan
09-27-2014, 06:39 PM
That will work...

DrumNFeather
09-27-2014, 06:39 PM
This is fun.

OrangeUte
09-27-2014, 06:40 PM
Football in the rain is awesome.

Applejack
09-27-2014, 06:41 PM
Mike leach is having a team meeting during the game. I hope he's talking about Blue Beard.

Applejack
09-27-2014, 06:47 PM
Rowe limps off holding his knee. Uh-oh

Applejack
09-27-2014, 07:00 PM
Rowe limps off holding his knee. Uh-oh

He's back

NorthwestUteFan
09-27-2014, 07:09 PM
Is WSU's D better than advertised, or is our O just anemic this year?

NorthwestUteFan
09-27-2014, 07:14 PM
The wind makes it tough.

Applejack
09-27-2014, 07:19 PM
Is it weird that a punter is one of my favorite players?

chrisrenrut
09-27-2014, 07:19 PM
Offense, not good.

OrangeUte
09-27-2014, 07:33 PM
This is better but it's all booker. Dres hasn't touched the ball tonight - has he?

OrangeUte
09-27-2014, 07:38 PM
Feels like the USC game 2 years ago. Go up and then hang on. We need a killer attitude on offense.

OrangeUte
09-27-2014, 07:38 PM
Gionni Paul!

Gotta score here offense.

Applejack
09-27-2014, 07:41 PM
I'm sure the weather is a big reason, but Wilson has looked awful tonight

OrangeUte
09-27-2014, 07:43 PM
I'm sure the weather is a big reason, but Wilson has looked awful tonight

I think you're right. But that last drive Halliday looked good despite the weather.

AnestheUte
09-27-2014, 07:44 PM
How many drives today have been killed by penalties? Holy moley...

Applejack
09-27-2014, 07:52 PM
How many drives today have been killed by penalties? Holy moley...

We haven't even been penalized that much, but they have been total drive killers.

USS Utah
09-27-2014, 07:55 PM
One stupid penalty after another. The lead would be much bigger except that every Utah drive -- with the exception of Booker's long run -- has been killed by penalties.

LA Ute
09-27-2014, 08:04 PM
I hope the coaches can get the team to refocus. OL needs to block, protect Travis. Also stop making the mental errors (penalties).

Applejack
09-27-2014, 08:06 PM
I have been very impressed by the improvement at linebacker and db since game 1. Kudos to Kyle and kalani.

I have not been impressed by our o line. They are the weakness of this team.

AnestheUte
09-27-2014, 08:15 PM
I have been very impressed by the improvement at linebacker and db since game 1. Kudos to Kyle and kalani.

I have not been impressed by our o line. They are the weakness of this team.

Exactly. We have made great strides in the secondary from last year to this year.

OrangeUte
09-27-2014, 08:27 PM
Looks like a fumble.

OrangeUte
09-27-2014, 08:32 PM
Lots of standing around in the secondary.

Applejack
09-27-2014, 08:36 PM
No Carter, no orchard and Paul hobbled off on that drive and didn't come back. Things looking shaky right nkw

OrangeUte
09-27-2014, 08:51 PM
We have nothing but booker in this game.

OrangeUte
09-27-2014, 08:56 PM
I mean offensively. Passes have been awful.

A wasted opportunity. Field goal is nice but not enough of a buffer in this game.

We have Phillips too.

OrangeUte
09-27-2014, 08:59 PM
3rd downs are huge for Halliday tonight.

OrangeUte
09-27-2014, 09:11 PM
Halliday is huge on 3rd and 4th downs. DB slipped and fell on that td but have gotten burned on big downs a lot tonight. Offense - this is time to come to life.

sancho
09-27-2014, 09:11 PM
I've liked the three man rush all game, but not on 4th and 14.

AnestheUte
09-27-2014, 09:18 PM
Yep, we have not been able to bother Halliday much today. What happened to our scoring offense from earlier this season? Were we never really that good on offense in the first place? If we choke this one, I feel a long and terrible season coming on...

DrumNFeather
09-27-2014, 09:30 PM
This is absolutely inexcusable.

mpfunk
09-27-2014, 09:33 PM
Well. It was great run for Whittingham, but it is time to move on. We blew a 21 point lead at home to a bad team.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

DrumNFeather
09-27-2014, 09:40 PM
How many drops did Anderson have tonight?

AnestheUte
09-27-2014, 09:40 PM
Vomit

NorthwestUteFan
09-27-2014, 09:41 PM
How many drops did Anderson have tonight?

All of them.

Solon
09-27-2014, 09:42 PM
Well. It was great run for Whittingham, but it is time to move on. We blew a 21 point lead at home to a bad team.

Well, hell. I don't know what to say. That's a deflating loss.
Gotta win those at home.

mpfunk
09-27-2014, 09:44 PM
Well, hell. I don't know what to say. That's a deflating loss.
Gotta win those at home.

I would be thrilled to defend Whittingham, but I can't do it. This is as bad or worse than the unlv debacle.

USS Utah
09-27-2014, 09:47 PM
Utah is better this year. So what?

More speed. So what?

21-0. So what?

4 and 10. So what?

4 and 14. So what?

3 takeaways. So what?

LA Ute
09-27-2014, 09:50 PM
Truly a team loss. It is hard to point the finger at any individual. Still, I wish that Dres Anderson would make clutch catches. Especially when the ball hits him in the hands.

mpfunk
09-27-2014, 09:50 PM
Utah needs to get our ducks in a row for Whittingham's firing. We need to get Chris Hill's "retirement" taken care of soon.

DrumNFeather
09-27-2014, 09:51 PM
Welp, all of my fears came to fruition in this one. We got up big early, and then sat on our lead for much of the game and got very little out of our offense. Horrible games from Dres, Wilson, and Blechen in coverage letting #21 keep WSU drives alive, the O-Line allowing their D-Line to dictate much of what happened in the second half...what else here? We also lost out on a lot of the effort plays. Those last couple of drives by Wazzu included runs where they picked up 3-4-5 extra yards on effort alone and we didn't wrap up.

No. Killer. Instinct.

LA Ute
09-27-2014, 09:52 PM
Did Anderson have any catches at all tonight?

mpfunk
09-27-2014, 09:54 PM
Truly a team loss. It is hard to point the finger at any individual. Still, I wish that Dres Anderson would make clutch catches. Especially when the ball hits him in the hands.

I disagree. It is really easy to point the finger at one individual with this loss.

DrumNFeather

Nope. It was basically Scott and Clay.

LA Ute
Welp, all of my fears came to fruition in this one. We got up big early, and then sat on our lead for much of the game and got very little out of our offense. Horrible games from Dres, Wilson, and Blechen in coverage letting #21 keep WSU drives alive, the O-Line allowing their D-Line to dictate much of what happened in the second half...what else here? We also lost out on a lot of the effort plays. Those last couple of drives by Wazzu included runs where they picked up 3-4-5 extra yards on effort alone and we didn't wrap up.

No. Killer. Instinct.

The one statistic no one can argue with: two touchdowns by the offense in the last two games.

utefan

I want to defend him, but that decision to punt on 4th and inches was questionable at best.

Midway through the 4th quarter, midfield, up 6, against a team that had been moving the ball very well the second half, and you punt it on 4th and inches?

I'm not really surprised Washington State scored the game winning touchdown on the ensuing possession.

AnestheUte
09-27-2014, 09:55 PM

None

USS Utah
09-27-2014, 09:58 PM
That didn't look like a team with nothing to play for. WSU, I mean. Utah, OTOH, did look like they had nothing to play for.

Old Standing ute
09-27-2014, 10:04 PM
UCLA scored 62 at ASU, what will do against this mess next week--do I hear 100?

Solon
09-27-2014, 10:05 PM
That didn't look like a team with nothing to play for. WSU, I mean. Utah, OTOH, did look like they had nothing to play for.
This feels like a McBride loss.
We really needed this win.

DrumNFeather
09-27-2014, 10:20 PM

We play those guys relatively tough, so I suspect it'll be closer than the experts think.

LA Ute
09-27-2014, 10:34 PM
Riley noted in the post game show that the Utes did not get to the Red zone on offense once tonight. Wow.

Mormon Red Death
09-27-2014, 10:36 PM
I want to defend him, but that decision to punt on 4th and inches was questionable at best.

Midway through the 4th quarter, midfield, up 6, against a team that had been moving the ball very well the second half, and you punt it on 4th and inches?

I'm not really surprised Washington State scored the game winning touchdown on the ensuing possession.

He should have called time out. Got In the face of all the offensive lineman and said "ichallenge you to win this game"

Instead we fraidy cat punted it

concerned
09-27-2014, 10:39 PM
Riley noted in the post game show that the Utes did not get to the Red zone on offense once tonight. Wow.

Well, Booker's TD. But to have that horrific offensive performance when Booker gets 178 yards is mind boggling. Could be the most discouraging game I've ever watched. I don't know how a program recovers from that. Wilson is a head case. Dres is a head case. the offensive line is atrocious. The play calling is atrocious. It is hard for me to imagine how we ever get more competitive in the conference as is.

As bad as Dres's drop was, he was open several times in the first half on the same route essentially and Wilson missed the throw every time. The last pass that was short on 4th and 8 (to Scott???) was horrific too.

concerned
09-27-2014, 10:41 PM
He should have called time out. Got In the face of all the offensive lineman and said "ichallenge you to win this game"

Instead we fraidy cat punted it

He couldnt call time out because we had already wasted one when the defense was out of position earlier. The only thing I can think is that he thought if they score, we only have to get Phillips in position to get the win. We didnt do that either. No way in a million years Urban Meyer would have punted there. No way he wold not have got it.

jrj84105
09-27-2014, 10:46 PM
Utah needs to get our ducks in a row for Whittingham's firing. We need to get Chris Hill's "retirement" taken care of soon.

I agree.

I even miss BJ as OC. What I wonder is why DC didn't get the ball to Dres with something other than the long ball. It's like a basketball player who just has to get to the line a few times to get out of the slump. Get Dres some easy catches- get him a reverse even if they are no gainers. Just get him the first catch. You can't let your best weapon finish with no catches.

utefan
09-27-2014, 10:48 PM
He couldnt call time out because we had already wasted one when the defense was out of position earlier. The only thing I can think is that he thought if they score, we only have to get Phillips in position to get the win. We didnt do that either. No way in a million years Urban Meyer would have punted there. No way he wold not have got it.
No way in a million years 75% or more of the college coaches would have punted there.

The defense had been getting killed the entire second half. Up by less than a touchdown with time becoming more of a factor, he killed what little confidence the offense may have had. They only needed 1 foot. Instead he gave the ball to the Washington State offense, who promptly scored the game winning touchdown.

That's a blunder of epic proportions. I hope Kyle mentions it and takes responsibility.

hostile
09-27-2014, 10:49 PM
Well, that was a kick in the nuts. I was running late from work and by the time a got to my seat we were up 21-0. It was all downhill from there. Very frustrating game to watch. So many things to be upset about. Ugh!

concerned
09-27-2014, 10:49 PM

Nope. It will be just like every other game we play. The defense will keep us competitive and in the game for a while, then fall apart because they have been on the field
far too long and the offense hasn't done its share at all.

LA Ute
09-27-2014, 10:52 PM
6 dropped passes. Where's the killer instinct? We punt on 4th and 6 inches. Same question.

Homer Crimson
09-27-2014, 11:43 PM
There's still a lot of football to be played, but I think Kyle has to know he's out of here if he only gets 2 conference wins again. Where's the urgency?!

Devildog
09-28-2014, 12:39 AM
I am so sick of losing conference games. I love Kyle... I wish he could win. But he can't. Losing at home to Washington State? You gotta be fawkin' kidding me. Nope... we suck this bad. We belong in the basement with Colorado. Fawkin' sad this is.

SoCalPat
09-28-2014, 01:11 AM
This is the second year in a row in which Kyle has totally screwed the pooch on a fourth down decision that a Pop Warner coach would get right 100 percent of the time, in a loss that foreshadowed worse things to come.

These are the decisions for which we pay Kyle $2.5 million to get right and he keeps screwing them up. I need an immediate bounceback to change my mind on this.

Jarid in Cedar
09-28-2014, 01:41 AM
This is the second year in a row in which Kyle has totally screwed the pooch on a fourth down decision that a Pop Warner coach would get right 100 percent of the time, in a loss that foreshadowed worse things to come.

These are the decisions for which we pay Kyle $2.5 million to get right and he keeps screwing them up. I need an immediate bounceback to change my mind on this.

This will be written on Coach Whitt ' s Utah tombstone:

Lost 5 4th quarter leads since joining Pac-12:

Arizona 2012
Oregon State 2013
Arizona 2013
Arizona State 2013
Washington State 2014

Of note, only games we have win after being behind in the 4th

Georgia Tech 2011 and Colorado 2012

LA Ute
09-28-2014, 06:03 AM
It looks like we are who we feared we were.

NorthwestUteFan
09-28-2014, 06:52 AM
WSU found a stout defense to match their video game Offense. Oregon won in Pullman based on the heroic efforts of a Heisman candidate and a number of home run plays.

One graphic stood out last night. In Leach's 12 years as a Head Coach, his teams have been the #1 offense team in the nation 11 times. That is impressive. However this isn't the late-1980s WAC where a team could sell out to build the offense. WSU has also put together a tough defense to match.

Kudos to the Cougars and to Leach. They gritted out this win based on talent, determination, and by executing a scheme to perfection

concerned
09-28-2014, 07:38 AM

Arizona 2012
Oregon State 2013
Arizona 2013
Arizona State 2013
Washington State 2014

I didn't realize it was that many. You are absolutely right.

And it is the way we lose those leads--by not being able to generate any 4th q offense and collapsing on defense.

Solon
09-28-2014, 07:48 AM
WSU found a stout defense to match their video game Offense. Oregon won in Pullman based on the heroic efforts of a Heisman candidate and a number of home run plays.

One graphic stood out last night. In Leach's 12 years as a Head Coach, his teams have been the #1 offense team in the nation 11 times. That is impressive. However this isn't the late-1980s WAC where a team could sell out to build the offense. WSU has also put together a tough defense to match.

Kudos to the Cougars and to Leach. They gritted out this win based on talent, determination, and by executing a scheme to perfection

This game wasn't as close as the score - Washington State outplayed the Utes. The big run, the pick-6, and the punt return were fantastic, but they obscure the offensive struggles just a bit. As at Michigan, the Utes struggled to run consistent offense. Sure, the big plays are great, but the 4-yards-at-a-time drives are the way to rest the defense & grind out wins.

WSU racked up nearly 500 yards of offense.
WSU was 10-20 on 3rd down conversions (that might be all we need to know right there).
The Utes had 78 yards in penalties.
Wilson was 18-40 for only 165 yards, right around 4 yards per attempt.

Interestingly, Utah was even on rushes & passes, at 40 of each.

I think the Fire Whittingham chants are still premature, but - like SoCalPat suggests, it might all depend on how the Utes bounce back. Momentum & trajectory mean a lot. This, IMO, is the kind of loss that can lose a staff the locker room. It's still early enough in the season to turn it around, but this one hurts. As MRD pointed out to me earlier, the Utes have never been above .500 in Pac-12 play.

sancho
09-28-2014, 08:29 AM
This game wasn't as close as the score

Yes, we just were not (are not) the better team. They outplayed us. Change any number of individual plays (a 3rd down stop, Dres' drop, the 4th and inches), and we might win that game. But it would be a somewhat undeserving win.

The offense has returned to form. It's been years since we've been able to get into a crisp rhythm on offense. This time, there are no excuses. No hurt QB, no missing starters. Just the same poor throws, the same drops, the same bad decisions, and the same approach from our opponents - rush 5, pressure the WRs. Like a broken record.

It really is a strong reminder that QB is the most important position. Give Michigan a good QB, and they are conference contenders. They just whiffed on their recent QB recruits. I think the same is true for us. There are only two things that matter for a college QB - accuracy and decision making. Whatever the style, whatever the offense, those two things are not optional. I don't think Wilson has either. He has never had accuracy, and he has always made poor decisions. In the 2 minute offense last night, he was panicky (again). The dump off to Booker was a panic throw that cost us 20 seconds. He repeatedly threw before he needed to because he was afraid the pocket was collapsing.

In a horrible twist of events, the one accurate downfield throw Wilson managed all game was dropped by our star WR.

We are 3-1, so we will write this off as a bad game for Wilson. He will start against UCLA. But I think it is his last chance. If he plays like this again, KT will get his shot. Thing is, I don't think Thompson or Cox have the accuracy we need either.

I feel like we have always been close with Whittingham. I think we are close again. Give us an accurate passer, and we can reach our potential of becoming the OSU of the south division - a team that regularly finishes with 6-8 wins and occasionally makes noise in the title race. We are close enough that I hate the idea of entering rebuild mode. Fire Whittingham, and we are looking at a 3 year rebuild. If that rebuild fails, we are looking at a decade long rebuild with potential to never be relevant again (like the Vandy, Kansas, Indiana of the Pac-12).

That said, it's all in play now. We may not be favored again in a game this year. Colorado/Arizona can score, and we can't. I think we may be underdogs going to Boulder. 0-9 in the conference is a possibility. We now have to beat OSU, Zona, and CU to go bowling, or we need to upset an actually good team. That seems unlikely.

concerned
09-28-2014, 08:57 AM
BTW, somebody tweeted last night that we are now 0-4 in conference with red jerseys black pants.

utefan
09-28-2014, 09:21 AM
BTW, somebody tweeted last night that we are now 0-4 in conference with red jerseys black pants.
Should have worn the all black. That's what we wore when we beat Oregon State for our first ever Pac 12 win.

UtahsMrSports
09-28-2014, 09:28 AM
Before the season started, we were all in agreement that to go bowling, we had to start 3-1. Well, here we are and i join most of you in being concerned about our prospects for this year.

Grading the team:

Offense: D

Outside of booker, this was a team wide disaster. Wilson missed open guys. Drops galore. Dumb, drive killing penalties. Defenders getting through. I do not recall one single pass to the middle of the field, everything to the sides. Where is the leadership? Where is the urgency?

Defense: C

Did fine but wore down. Made some plays,

Coaching: F-

Our game plan was great to start. At halftime, wash st adjusted and went away from quick throws. Our coaches never adjusted byincreasing pressure. So many blunders.

My main disappointment is that we had a lottttt of recruits there. I cant fathom anyone being excited about utah after this.

Finally, it was incredibly stupid of Kyle to get up in post game and say Thompson should have got more time. Its damaging to travis and quite frankly not smart football wise.

USS Utah
09-28-2014, 10:46 AM
Pac-12 football, always a wild ride.

So, I was flipping between the second halves of the Cal-Colorad9 and Washington-Stanford games yesterday, waiting for the Utah game to start. Both Cal and Colorad9 looked unstoppable, while the other game was a defensive battle. I started thinking, wow, Utah could win most of its games, but could also lose all its games.

Then the Utah game finally starts and the Ute build a 21 point lead. Naturally, I was feeling rather good at that point, but I kept telling myself that Washington State had a powerful offense and could easily come back and win the game. Then I got more and more frustrated as I saw Utah make one stupid mistake after another.

The Pac-12 is not for wimps. Buckle up.

utefan
09-28-2014, 11:04 AM
I keep coming back to that huge blunder of a decision to punt on 4th and inches.

The team made many mistakes. They're kids, so mistakes are to be expected. But that huge blunder made by Whittingham just can't be glossed over.

He basically told the offense, "You guys suck so bad that I don't even trust you to move the ball 6 inches. I'd rather give it back to Washington State, even though they're down by less than 1 score and have been moving the ball at will the entire second half, and there probably won't be enough time for us to score again if we get the ball back."

I can't really think of another coach that would have punted in that situation. You want to know what's wrong with our offense? Look no further than that decision and you'll see it all starts at the top.

It's no coincidence that no matter who the OC is, the same problems arise on offense.

How many times did Washington State go for it on 4th down? Even though they had many unsuccessful attempts, they kept trying and scored a few touchdowns. And we're scared to go for it on 4th and inches from midfield when there's not that much time left and we're only up by 6 and Washington State's offense was rolling?

I can excuse the kids getting emotional or otherwise being kids and making mistakes. I can't excuse the experienced and highly paid head coach probably costing us the game with an obviously terrible decision.

SoCalPat
09-28-2014, 12:02 PM
I like Kyle a lot and he's a fantastic defensive mind and leader of men. But he is absolutely clueless on how to win football games.

Kyle is the only coach in America who doesn't recognize the pratfalls of leading by only 6 in the fourth quarter. It's been an issue his entire head coaching career (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=293040254). Literally, one play at any time can beat you. What's even more maddening about Kyle is he thinks everyone else plays by the same mindset. Leach obviously doesn't, and twice he went for it on fourth down when Kyle (and to be fair, a lot of other coaches) would've kicked and it paid off. I'm really starting to question Kyle's stomach for getting up on game day when every tough decision he makes almost always results in him deferring to someone else to save his bacon.

As a result, barring an incredible turnaround (8 wins total), I fully support his firing at season's end. When you're a middling team in terms of talent and resources, you cannot be led by someone who makes mistakes that are so obvious, so damaging. It turns 7-5 seasons into 5-7 seasons, and that's exactly what we've gotten from Kyle two years (going on three) running. The excuses simply do not hold water anymore (injuries, schedule, resources). Kyle's decision-making is simply not to be trusted. We've seen too many examples of it recently and have had seasons turn sour because of them.

EutawStUtesFan
09-28-2014, 12:04 PM

Arizona 2012
Oregon State 2013
Arizona 2013
Arizona State 2013
Washington State 2014

Though it won't be remembered, but Stanford was very close to being added to the list. It was another offensive no show in the 4th that happened to end in our favor.

SoCalPat
09-28-2014, 12:05 PM
He basically told the offense, "You guys suck so bad that I don't even trust you to move the ball 6 inches. I'd rather give it back to Washington State, even though they're down by less than 1 score and have been moving the ball at will the entire second half, and there probably won't be enough time for us to score again if we get the ball back."

He did basically the same thing last year at Arizona. Down 4, under 4 minutes to go, 4th and 4, he elects to kick a FG (which we miss). Even if the FG is good, it's still the dumbest decision I've ever seen. What the hell good does it to do to trail by one and kicking off?

SoCalPat
09-28-2014, 12:10 PM
Yesterday was the third game we've lost at home as double-digit favorites since joining the Pac-12 (Washington and Colorado 2011 are the others).

We have been favored in our Pac-12 home opener in three of four years (USC 2012 is the outlier). We have lost all three games.

UtahsMrSports
09-28-2014, 12:18 PM
Anyone else feel like we are back in the 90s in terms of football and hoops?

sancho
09-28-2014, 01:17 PM
This goes way beyond one 4th down decision. I didn't mind the decision as much as the rest of you. We had a great punt and got wsu into a 3rd and 9 for the game. They converted, again, and then they had their first and only big play of the game.

Far more troubling than the 4th down call is the fact that our offence could not sustain even one touchdown drive against one of the worst defenses we'll see all year.

If kyle is fitted, it shouldn't be because a bunch of armchair qbs second guess fourth down calls. It should be because our offense has not clicked for four consecutive years.

utefan
09-28-2014, 01:23 PM
He did basically the same thing last year at Arizona. Down 4, under 4 minutes to go, 4th and 4, he elects to kick a FG (which we miss). Even if the FG is good, it's still the dumbest decision I've ever seen. What the hell good does it to do to trail by one and kicking off?
Yeah that was a bone head decision too. But at least that one was 4th and 4. This time around it was 4th and inches. There's just no way I can accept that.

4th and inches, at midfield, up by less than 1 score, against probably the best offense in the nation, who had been basically unstoppable the entire second half, and Utah's defense tired from being on the field so long when they were already short handed, and enough time on the clock for Washington State to easily score again but not enough time for Utah to run a normal drive if they get it back. You don't really need the benefit of hindsight to know it's a bad idea to punt in that situation.

I can't think of another coach that would punt in that situation. 4th and 7, okay, punting would be justified. 4th and 6 inches? What was he thinking?

sancho
09-28-2014, 01:27 PM
Just a reminder that if we had gone for it and failed, we would now be blasting whittingham for not punting.

Our offense lost this game.

U-Ute
09-28-2014, 01:34 PM
I am usually one who puts all the blame on the coaches for losses, but this seems like one of the rare times where the players lost the game. Their execution was simply lackluster. I thought the coaches out the players in positions to have success and the players kept muffing it.

The drop by Dres being the most obvious example. But Blechen giving up in coverage and Booker cutting the wrong way in the hole are other examples.

I wonder if these guys started reading their press clippings.

utefan
09-28-2014, 01:53 PM
Dres sucked, Travis wasn't much better, and the safeties were terrible.

These are kids. Mistakes will happen. You chalk them up to the ups and downs of a season and move on.

Coaching mistakes are a different beast. Kyle is supposed to be the genius leading this team. He's supposed to be nearly flawless. That's why he makes the big bucks. He's not an inexperienced kid.

I need to see him acknowledge that mistake, accept responsibility, and say he learned from it and it won't happen again.

It wasn't a "dropped a pass I should have caught, but the ball was wet" type of mistake. It was a "I blew an easy decision any little league parent would have got right" type of decision. And as we all know, it's not the first time. He does it all the time.

This is a fundamental flaw with his ability to coach. It's not a mistake that we can reasonably expect to be fixed, ala Dres dropping wide open touchdown passes. This is something we can reasonably expect to happen every single time the situation arises.

If we go for it and fail, then we can blast the players for not even getting 6 inches. Or we can blast the coaches for calling a terrible play. Punting it away is just a horrible decision.

SoCalPat
09-28-2014, 02:05 PM
This goes way beyond one 4th down decision. I didn't mind the decision as much as the rest of you. We had a great punt and got wsu into a 3rd and 9 for the game. They converted, again, and then they had their first and only big play of the game.

Far more troubling than the 4th down call is the fact that our offence could not sustain even one touchdown drive against one of the worst defenses we'll see all year.

If kyle is fitted, it shouldn't be because a bunch of armchair qbs second guess fourth down calls. It should be because our offense has not clicked for four consecutive years.

Results-based thinking at its finest, and does nothing to address whether or not the decision to punt was right or wrong. If we get 6 inches, we burn more clock. With another first down, we are likely in FG range. Instead, Kyle chose to punt and leave open the possibility that he could be beaten by one play, a possibility that still exists if we go for it and fail to get the first down.

Furthermore, against what you say is one of the worst defenses we'll see all year, you defend the decision to punt. So which is it already? Me, I've got one play to get six inches from my offense, or for my defense to make four consecutive plays to get WSU (only the nation's leading passing team) to turn the ball over on downs. I know what I'm taking.

sancho
09-28-2014, 03:05 PM
Meh, I'm with you. I'm going for it there. But it's not the worst decision in the history of football, as some are making it out to be.

Here's what I think: we go for it there, and we still lose that game. We probably convert, let's say 60% chance. Then, based on what I saw last night, we stall and punt with plenty of time for them to still beat us. At some point, we were either going to have to stop them or score, and by the end it was clear we were going to do neither.

LA Ute
09-28-2014, 03:14 PM
Meh, I'm with you. I'm going for it there. But it's not the worst decision in the history of football, as some are making it out to be.

Here's what I think: we go for it there, and we still lose that game. We probably convert, let's say 60% chance. Then, based on what I saw last night, we stall and punt with plenty of time for them to still beat us. At some point, we were either going to have to stop them or score, and by the end it was clear we were going to do neither.

Post-game, Whitt called it "the percentage call." I think he then said the Utes had a better chance of stopping WSU from deep in their own territory than from midfield. I suppose that is statistically valid. Now, I'm out of my depth here because i'm no football coach, but I wonder if that way of thinking isn't part of Whitt's problem. In sports you've got to go with gut and emotion at least some of the time. His default reponse seems to lean the other way, to percentages. That's probably great for overall strategy (e.g., designing a defense or an offense), but maybe not for tactics (deciding what to do in a specific situation). Maybe he just plays the percentages too much.

SoCalPat
09-28-2014, 03:50 PM

In the NFL, this play converts at a 63 percent rate. Or better than Travis Wilson's lifetime completion percentage.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/62665328/

justaute
09-28-2014, 04:54 PM
My line of thinking was relatively similar. WSU's offense was clicking like clock-work in the 2nd half and our offense could not sustain any drives. Hence, I believe we should have attempted that 4th-and-foot. That said, it was hardly the only issue.

- Tim Patrick: In limited playing, he's shown to be very sure-handed in short and medium routes, much more than Dres. Would have love to see him in more plays.
- I'm tired of seeing the drop-8-rush-3 defense in the second half. Of course there are inherent risks in either dropping more defenders to defend in the secondary or taking a more aggressive passer-rush approach. In this instance though, given Halliday's accuracy and rhythm, I would have gambled with more up-front pressure. He converted way too many 3rd and 4th downs. If Halliday were lesser of a passer, then I would have opt for the drop-8-rush-3.
- Offensive Callings: One dimensional. I'm tired of seeing the read-options. It just didn't work after Q1, and it didn't set-up or open-up for other plays.
- O-line: Well, not much can be said about it.
- Blechen: As a senior, it was very boneheaded to let the WR get behind him for the 4th-and-TD play. He thought Halliday may be scrambling and just left his "position".

In general, I believe Utah coaches and players had a relatively "poor" situational awareness.

Results-based thinking at its finest, and does nothing to address whether or not the decision to punt was right or wrong. If we get 6 inches, we burn more clock. With another first down, we are likely in FG range. Instead, Kyle chose to punt and leave open the possibility that he could be beaten by one play, a possibility that still exists if we go for it and fail to get the first down.

Furthermore, against what you say is one of the worst defenses we'll see all year, you defend the decision to punt. So which is it already? Me, I've got one play to get six inches from my offense, or for my defense to make four consecutive plays to get WSU (only the nation's leading passing team) to turn the ball over on downs. I know what I'm taking.

OrangeUte
09-28-2014, 05:47 PM
I agree with a lot already said. I haven't looked at the statistics or done any analysis. I have only watched wazzou last week and this week. I do not agree that theirs is an awful defense or one of the worst we will see all year. They are aggressive and in often position to make plays. Utah's offense stunk but I don't think wazzou can be made to have an inept defense.

Diehard Ute
09-28-2014, 05:53 PM
I agree with a lot already said. I haven't looked at the statistics or done any analysis. I have only watched wazzou last week and this week. I do not agree that theirs is an awful defense or one of the worst we will see all year. They are aggressive and in often position to make plays. Utah's offense stunk but I don't think wazzou can be made to have an inept defense.

I don't think they're inept either

I certainly do think Utah made itself much easier to defend with the lack of variety in the play calling, and a lack of adjustments when those plays failed to work in the second half

OrangeUte
09-28-2014, 06:00 PM
I don't think they're inept either

I certainly do think Utah made itself much easier to defend with the lack of variety in the play calling, and a lack of adjustments when those plays failed to work in the second half

For sure. The fumble by Clay came on a play that felt like we were going to get some juice going. We have to be mentally tougher on offense and stop feeling bad for ourself.

I really liked leach's timeout Pep talk. Would like to see some team captain excitement on the sidelines to get spirits pumped up.

sancho
09-28-2014, 06:13 PM
In the NFL, this play converts at a 63 percent rate. Or better than Travis Wilson's lifetime completion percentage.

Wow, lucky guess.

sancho
09-28-2014, 06:19 PM
For sure. The fumble by Clay came on a play that felt like we were going to get some juice going.

Yes, penalties too. Every time it looked like we could start something, we shot ourselves in the foot.

I think our coaching staff came out with a winning game plan. If I had been told we would limit WSU to 28 points, I'd have felt great about our chances. I think we failed to execute, we made mistakes, and we failed to adjust.

The 3 man rush was brilliant in the first half when they were going for quick outs. But when they realized we were going to give them time, they took their time. At that point, it's our turn to adjust. I think one problem is that it seems hard to disguise a blitz from the defensive formation we were using.

Maybe WSU does have a decent defense, but we managed exactly ZERO drives into the red zone against them. They aren't the '85 Bears. I feel like there'e plenty of blame to go around, but this is the worst game I think we've seen from a healthy Travis Wilson. At this point, I would be surprised if he's still our starter by season's end.

sancho
09-28-2014, 06:21 PM
I'm tired of seeing the read-options. It just didn't work after Q1, and it didn't set-up or open-up for other plays.

I think I agree. One problem - the read option fake is possibly the singly greatest thing that Travis Wilson does. He's just really good at it. And it did work a few times vs Michigan. Really, whether we like it or not, it's going to be a part of what we do if Wilson or KT are our QBs.

Diehard Ute
09-28-2014, 06:26 PM
I think I agree. One problem - the read option fake is possibly the singly greatest thing that Travis Wilson does. He's just really good at it. And it did work a few times vs Michigan. Really, whether we like it or not, it's going to be a part of what we do if Wilson or KT are our QBs.

It's fine to have it in the package. The problem is it's ALL we're doing in the run game and the play seems to always be an inside run

I am no football genius, but it seems never attempting to run something outside the tackles just lets the D Line and Backers fire up the middle every down, thus making the defense have a much easier day.

concerned
09-28-2014, 06:44 PM
For sure. The fumble by Clay came on a play that felt like we were going to get some juice going. We have to be mentally tougher on offense and stop feeling bad for ourself.

I really liked leach's timeout Pep talk. Would like to see some team captain excitement on the sidelines to get spirits pumped up.

I don't think I have seen anybody mention it, but when Wilson lost his helmet, he came out for that third down play and killed the drive. The next drive was clay's fumble. Those two drive set the tone for the second half and killed any chance at momentum

Scorcho
09-28-2014, 07:17 PM
the difference in this game, Utah's receivers dropped the ball, WSU's didn't.

sancho
09-28-2014, 07:22 PM
the difference in this game, Utah's receivers dropped the ball, WSU's didn't.

I'd like to see tape of our 6 drops. Obviously, the Dres drop was all Dres. But I think we had a bigger issue with accuracy on our passes than with dropped balls. What was the final tally for Wilson? At some point, I seem to remember him being 15-32?

hostile
09-28-2014, 07:39 PM
I'd like to see tape of our 6 drops. Obviously, the Dres drop was all Dres. But I think we had a bigger issue with accuracy on our passes than with dropped balls. What was the final tally for Wilson? At some point, I seem to remember him being 15-32?

He seemed to be either high, behind, or both on several throws.

Solon
09-28-2014, 08:15 PM
What was the final tally for Wilson? At some point, I seem to remember him being 15-32?
18-38 for 165 yds.

justaute
09-28-2014, 08:37 PM
That's exactly my issue. WSU made the adjustment, but we didn't, or at least not enough. Our secondary, especially without Tevin Carter, was tested and challenged -- not unexpected. As in the past, we just drop 8 to defend it, but that didn't work for 2.5 quarters against WSU. Why did we not adjust more? It doesn't have to be just half-time adjustment. It could be a 4th quarter adjustment.

Y
The 3 man rush was brilliant in the first half when they were going for quick outs. But when they realized we were going to give them time, they took their time. At that point, it's our turn to adjust. I think one problem is that it seems hard to disguise a blitz from the defensive formation we were using.

justaute
09-28-2014, 08:39 PM
Don't disagree. Option-read isn't bad at all, especially given what Wilson has done in the past. However, again, as our defense in the second half, we need to adjust. That play did next to nothing in the second half.

hostile
09-28-2014, 09:22 PM
I don't think I have seen anybody mention it, but when Wilson lost his helmet, he came out for that third down play and killed the drive. The next drive was clay's fumble. Those two drive set the tone for the second half and killed any chance at momentum

Also, Dres had one of his drops on that series after Wilson comes out. Ball hits him right in the hands.

Scorcho
09-29-2014, 10:14 AM
this game was eerily similiar to the game that sealed Ron McBrides fate. Back in 2002, Utah went up on Air Force and led 26-6 going into halftime only to lose 30-26 to the Falcons. I remember having that same type of dry-heave feeling that I have today.

U-Ute
09-29-2014, 01:46 PM

When you look like SDSU, you play like SDSU.

concerned
09-29-2014, 01:55 PM
When you look like SDSU, you play like SDSU.

Truer words were never spoken.

LA Ute
09-29-2014, 03:56 PM
Truer words were never spoken.

I don't think the colors were related to the loss, but there is still something to be said for having pride in the school's 120 years-old traditional colors.

Diehard, get off my lawn!

Diehard Ute
09-29-2014, 04:04 PM
I don't think the colors were related to the loss, but there is still something to be said for having pride in the school's 120 years-old traditional colors.

Diehard, get off my lawn!

I may have left the profession, but I can still make your lawn grow or die on command ;)

sancho
09-30-2014, 08:19 AM
Watched Tom Brady convert a 3rd and 1 last night with play action. That is something that we just can't consider right now on 3rd/4th and short, and it is limiting. It's scary going up against WSU on short yardage because you know there are about 20 different plays they can run to pick up the first down. Until our completion percentage is over 60%, we can't really risk that kind of play on a huge down.

wally
09-30-2014, 01:40 PM
I have been busy and haven't weighed in here yet. Seems like there was an all around effort by Coaches, players, and God himself to help Utah overcome a devastating first quarter lead and somehow miraculously find a way to lose!

LA Ute
09-30-2014, 02:06 PM
I have been busy and haven't weighed in here yet. Seems like there was an all around effort by Coaches, players, and God himself to help Utah overcome a devastating first quarter lead and somehow miraculously find a way to lose!

It was a train wreck in very slow motion.

Applejack
09-30-2014, 02:17 PM
I just ended my three day mourning period.

I did not enjoy the last three quarters of the game on Saturday.

LA Ute
09-30-2014, 02:53 PM
I just ended my three day mourning period.

I did not enjoy the last three quarters of the game on Saturday.

That's when the train wreck unfolded, with the Utes seemingly powerless to do anything about it.