PDA

View Full Version : The 2014 Bruins vs. Utes Battle in the Rose Bowl

Pages : [1] 2

LA Ute
09-28-2014, 08:27 AM
Here's the thread. I am not looking forward to this game. But I will be there.

U-Ute
09-28-2014, 08:59 AM
Get ready to do your best Herbert Morrison (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Morrison_(announcer)) impersonation.

UtahsMrSports
09-28-2014, 09:37 AM
This game will tell us a lot. So, let me be the first to say, i think we win. Yep. Im picking us to bounce back and breakthrough.

Damage U
09-28-2014, 01:01 PM
I'm thinking we do an impersonation of ASU last Thurs.

SoCalPat
09-28-2014, 02:34 PM
I'm thinking we do an impersonation of ASU last Thurs.

I'm thinking I have no idea what to think. Problem is, the locker room probably feels the same way. They go out, they play, let the results fall where they may. I don't think there's any leadership on this team. Don't ask me how I came to that conclusion, but who is the Brent Casteel, Brian Johnson or Matt Asiata on this team? Just exactly who follows who on this team, especially on the offensive end?

sancho
09-28-2014, 03:07 PM
This game will tell us a lot. So, let me be the first to say, i think we win. Yep. Im picking us to bounce back and breakthrough.

I've been picking this game since July as our big upset victory, so I'm sticking to my guns. Utes win. Travis Wilson, the real goat of yesterday's game, has a bounce back for the ages and moves the chains all day long.

DrumNFeather
09-28-2014, 05:53 PM
When UCLA played Virginia, the Drive featured the prep work Virginia did as well as UCLAs...boy would I love to see some cameras at Ute practice this week.

sancho
09-28-2014, 06:23 PM
So, we played ourselves into the late night slot. I'm pretty sure that prime time was ours for the taking, but instead it goes to USC/ASU. Well, the timing works out better for the Mormons attending general conference.

DrumNFeather
09-29-2014, 07:15 AM
UCLA opens at -13.

Solon
09-29-2014, 07:47 AM
Well, the timing works out better for the Mormons attending general conference.

My wife, a devout Mormon, didn't know that there were Saturday sessions of General Conference until she went to college.
Gotta hand it to my in-laws on that one.

DrumNFeather
09-29-2014, 08:15 AM
My wife, a devout Mormon, didn't know that there were Saturday sessions of General Conference until she went to college.
Gotta hand it to my in-laws on that one.

Me neither...imagine my surprise when Ricks shut down for the weekend.

I also didn't know there was a Saturday night session of stake conference until I was married and expected to go. Imagine my surprise.

U-Ute
09-29-2014, 08:17 AM
UCLA opens at -13.

Touchdowns or points?

LA Ute
09-29-2014, 08:22 AM
Me neither...imagine my surprise when Ricks shut down for the weekend.

I also didn't know there was a Saturday night session of stake conference until I was married and expected to go. Imagine my surprise.

The advent of DVRs has made the lives of many LDS college football fans easier.

OrangeUte
09-29-2014, 09:11 AM
Dry warm weather and Travis Wilson playing in front of family and friends that come up from orange county for the game. The slate will be wiped clean, and he will have a good week of practice.The offense will finally open up that playbook as they have been threatening to do.

This is my forecast.

OrangeUte
09-29-2014, 09:11 AM
I'm being optimistically vague.

sancho
09-29-2014, 09:18 AM
The offense will finally open up that playbook as they have been threatening to do.

I hope that involves using Clay like a poor man's Percy Harvin. I want to see some fake end arounds with a few real ones thrown in.

Honestly, I don't care if the playbook opens up. I just want them to execute the plays that are being called. Remember that awful screen play where our Oline was too slow to get any of the blocks? Blah!

OrangeUte
09-29-2014, 09:26 AM
I hope that involves using Clay like a poor man's Percy Harvin. I want to see some fake end arounds with a few real ones thrown in.

Honestly, I don't care if the playbook opens up. I just want them to execute the plays that are being called. Remember that awful screen play where our Oline was too slow to get any of the blocks? Blah!

Absolutely! They ran a screen, I think it was to Clay, and he was one on two with the defenders. I don't know a lot about schemes, but it seems like the best screenplay's are where at least one or two other receivers are available to provide blocking. Now, that could have been a broken play, we seem to have a bunch of those.

I hope the offensive line gets a Code Red this week, I hope they realize how shitty they played and the rolethat there are massive failures were in this loss.

DrumNFeather
09-30-2014, 09:08 AM
From the trib notes:

Tevin Carter is a question mark for Saturday night, and if he doesn't go, it's Williams again, Rowe would not be moved back to Safety.

Booker is officially #1 at RB with Poole at #2.

Whit is naturally singing the praises of UCLA.

LA Ute
09-30-2014, 11:06 AM
From the trib notes:

Tevin Carter is a question mark for Saturday night, and if he doesn't go, it's Williams again, Rowe would not be moved back to Safety.

Booker is officially #1 at RB with Poole at #2.

On Saturday I'll watch for #20 (Williams) in our defensive backfield and see how often UCLA goes right at him. It'll be a lot, I think.

UTEopia
09-30-2014, 01:22 PM

I would to after what they did to ASU. How can you not?

DrumNFeather
09-30-2014, 01:43 PM
I would to after what they did to ASU. How can you not?

Agree. Wasn't a critique...Whit knows he has a mountain to climb on Saturday. The best he can hope for (short of an upset) is to have the game be close and build up some confidence/anger going into the bye so that Oregon St. gets their absolute best shot.

LA Ute
09-30-2014, 02:04 PM
I will be there in the Rose Bowl. I really hope I don't have to walk out of there after a humiliating loss. That's not fun in the opposing team's stadium.

So far, during the PAC 12 era the only game in L.A. I've left with a smile has been the USC basketball game last winter.

Applejack
09-30-2014, 02:19 PM
Here's some optimistic news: based on the moneyline of Saturday's game, Vegas is giving Utah a 20% chance of winning. That's better than what I would have predicted!

U-Ute
09-30-2014, 04:39 PM
I am starting to feel the Utes will bounce back against UCLA.

First, I'm really starting to come around to the point of view that the players looked past Wazzu towards UCLA. Given what Wazzu did to us last year, it is kind of hard to believe, but it is the only conclusion I can come to. The Utes are not as bad as they showed on saturday. Seeing what UCLA did to ASU thursday night and knowing UCLA would probably be a top 10 team the following week, it had to take some of their focus away from the Cougars. Not that I excuse them for it.

On the flip side, UCLA crushed ASU and probably sees Utah as floundering, and has a game looming against Oregon next week. They may forget that Utah has played them tough in all of our PAC-12 matchups.

I'm beginning to see a glimmer of hope.

sancho
09-30-2014, 04:41 PM

We will be better simply because we couldn't be worse. But will it be enough?

U-Ute
09-30-2014, 04:42 PM
We will be better simply because we couldn't be worse. But will it be enough?

I feel that a large part of that answer depends squarely on Carter's knee.

USS Utah
09-30-2014, 06:03 PM

First, I'm really starting to come around to the point of view that the players looked past Wazzu towards UCLA. Given what Wazzu did to us last year, it is kind of hard to believe, but it is the only conclusion I can come to. The Utes are not as bad as they showed on saturday. Seeing what UCLA did to ASU thursday night and knowing UCLA would probably be a top 10 team the following week, it had to take some of their focus away from the Cougars. Not that I excuse them for it.

On the flip side, UCLA crushed ASU and probably sees Utah as floundering, and has a game looming against Oregon next week. They may forget that Utah has played them tough in all of our PAC-12 matchups.

I'm beginning to see a glimmer of hope.

It was one of those "let down" games -- only the "let down" didn't start until after they build a 21-0 lead.

U-Ute
09-30-2014, 06:10 PM
I feel that a large part of that answer depends squarely on Carter's knee.

Word from practice this afternoon was Carter was practicing with a knee brace.

Applejack
10-01-2014, 09:32 AM
Allright, I feel like I am the conductor of the Optimistic Train, but I've never driven this train before. Hold on!

Good signs:

1. Dres is going to catch at least one pass this Saturday.
2. River Cracraft is not going to make any third and long receptions against us.
3. Last week was a fluke weather event-therefore it doesn't count. Remember how BYU fans assured us that the only reason they lost to a 1-17 UVA team last year was weather? Well, L.A. doesn't have freak weather.
4. Marcus Sanders is no longer starting his first game at safety. He is starting his second game.
5. We can use nose tackles against UCLA.
6. Gionni Paul has had an interception in every game that he has ever played for Utah.
7. Kyle Whittingham-coached teams have outscored UCLA 126-98 over five games.
8. Last time we played at the Rose Bowl I saw Dancing With The Stars' Chelsea Hightower.

LA Ute
10-02-2014, 06:02 PM
I was given 2 35 yard line tickets to the UCLA game Saturday night. Free to the first taker. Send me a PM.

LA Ute
10-03-2014, 07:32 AM
Maybe Arizona's upset of Oregon is a good omen for us.

UtahsMrSports
10-03-2014, 08:15 AM

In this conference, anything can happen in any game at any time. I just hope the ball bounces our way in a few of these upcoming games and its us who pulls the upsets.

sancho
10-03-2014, 08:38 AM

I'm sorry to say it, but my teams generally do well or poorly together. Did you see the Tigers 8th inning last night? Unless Verlander grabs a win this morning, I don't go into Saturday with much hope for the Utes.

U-Ute
10-03-2014, 09:08 AM
Allright, I feel like I am the conductor of the Optimistic Train, but I've never driven this train before. Hold on!

Good signs:

1. Dres is going to catch at least one pass this Saturday.

What will is reception/drop ratio be?

8. Last time we played at the Rose Bowl I saw Dancing With The Stars' Chelsea Hightower.

And I believe she's from Utah.

DrumNFeather
10-03-2014, 11:08 AM
ESPN Blogger:

• The chaos out West will continue Saturday night. Utah is going to take down UCLA.

I’m still not sold on the Bruins offensive line, and Utah is as good up front as any team in the Pac-12 -- Stanford and Oregon State included. The Utes also will cover UCLA’s modest outside threats far better than ASU did.

“Utah’s defense is good,” a Pac-12 coach said. “You don’t ever know about UCLA and how they are going to play.”

If Utah can keep the game in the teens or 20s, it’ll have a legitimate shot. Plus, UCLA could still be looking ahead to Oregon’s visit next week.

“Utah’s offense is really bad. [I’m] not sure they can score enough,” the coach said. “They have been scoring on special teams and on defense and relying on big plays. I think UCLA is probably too athletic.”

Perhaps the Utes' gravitating more toward Oklahoma transfer QB Kendal Thompson (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/514737/kendal-thompson) could be the spark the offense needs.

EutawStUtesFan
10-03-2014, 11:22 AM
I'm sorry to say it, but my teams generally do well or poorly together. Did you see the Tigers 8th inning last night? Unless Verlander grabs a win this morning, I don't go into Saturday with much hope for the Utes.

Well the way I look at it, my underrated Orioles beat a highly touted Cy Young winner therefore my underrated Utes will beat a highly touted Heisman Trophy candidate. :D

UBlender
10-03-2014, 12:52 PM
Well the way I look at it, my underrated Orioles beat a highly touted Cy Young winner therefore my underrated Utes will beat a highly touted Heisman Trophy candidate. :D

A this moment it is 5-3 in the 7th. I'm calling my shot, BAL comes back to win again. This team just feels like one of those random teams that gets hot at the right time and makes the WS despite lacking big name star power.

sancho
10-03-2014, 01:05 PM
A this moment it is 5-3 in the 7th. I'm calling my shot, BAL comes back to win again. This team just feels like one of those random teams that gets hot at the right time and makes the WS despite lacking big name star power.

You can call that shot just based on the Tiger bullpen. I thinking they should try to let Sanchez close it out all the way through the 9th.

UBlender
10-03-2014, 01:10 PM
You can call that shot just based on the Tiger bullpen. I thinking they should try to let Sanchez close it out all the way through the 9th.

Seems like that would be smart. Of course based on Verlander's season, is there a reason they wouldn't reverse those roles going forward: Sanchez to the rotation and Verlander to bolster the pen?

concerned
10-03-2014, 01:38 PM
well you guys called that.

sancho
10-03-2014, 01:43 PM

I don't know what Sanchez' status is on the injury, but unless it's grave, they should have pushed him. And, now, they should fire every member of that bullpen. Today. Before game 3. Fire Joba, Nathan, Coke, Soria, and Albuquerque. The Tigers should have won 100 games this year.

sancho
10-03-2014, 01:48 PM

Let’s not give Delmon Young or the Orioles too much credit here. I’m certain that my 7 year old son would have crushed a double vs Soria in that situation.

UBlender
10-03-2014, 01:55 PM
I don't know what Sanchez' status is on the injury, but unless it's grave, they should have pushed him. And, now, they should fire every member of that bullpen. Today. Before game 3. Fire Joba, Nathan, Coke, Soria, and Albuquerque. The Tigers should have won 100 games this year.

I'm sorry sancho, sometimes this big brain of mine can be a burden that we all must bear.

EutawStUtesFan
10-03-2014, 02:12 PM
I feel a Ute upset coming on tomorrow! Go Utes beat the Bruins!

concerned
10-03-2014, 02:23 PM
Joba's era for the ALDS is 108.00

Applejack
10-04-2014, 12:20 PM
OK, roll call. Who's going to the game tonight? LA is in, right? Anyone else? Scratch? I wish I could be there.

Here's the way I look at the rest of the season: I think we will be fairly heavy underdogs in our next 7 games:

@ UCLA
@ Oregon St
USC
@ Arizona St
Oregon
@ Stanford
Arizona

But, all of those are games in which I think we are competitive. We're going to crap the bed once or twice, but what we really need are two victories. I'm circling @Oregon St and @ASU, but I could see any other game (other than Stanford, I think they work us) going our way if we get a few bounces and special teams touchdowns.

If we can just spoil two parties, then we just need to beat Colorado to go bowling. I hate the idea of being 5-6 heading into Boulder in November, but frankly if you can't beat Washington St OR Colorado, you shouldn't be complaining.

sancho
10-04-2014, 12:29 PM
OK, roll call. Who's going to the game tonight? LA is in, right? Anyone else? Scratch? I wish I could be there.

Here's the way I look at the rest of the season: I think we will be fairly heavy underdogs in our next 7 games:
But, all of those are games in which I think we are competitive. We're going to crap the bed once or twice, but what we really need are two victories. I'm circling @Oregon St and @ASU, but I could see any other game (other than Stanford, I think they work us) going our way if we get a few bounces and special teams touchdowns.

I think we match up best against pro style offenses - so I have my hopes pinned 2 of 3 from OSU, USC, and Stanford. I just don't think our offense can outscore ASU (and Oregon if they are healthy again by then). Arizona is interesting.

But let's just start the ball rolling again with a win tonight!

justaute
10-04-2014, 12:43 PM
If we don't make sufficient adjustments, and not just at half-time, we won't match-up well against anyone. Given our o-line and propensity to use option-read plays, I'm not sanguine about anything. In my view, our situation-awareness is less than optimal.

OrangeUte
10-04-2014, 03:37 PM
I have a good feeling. It may be the perfect chinese food that I just ate. But I don't think so. I think it's a ute victory hanging in the air!

OrangeUte
10-04-2014, 08:39 PM
White jerseys and black pants with white helmets. I like the look a lot.

Solon
10-04-2014, 08:41 PM
White jerseys and black pants with white helmets. I like the look a lot.
Both teams look sharp.
can we get this started already???

OrangeUte
10-04-2014, 08:41 PM
Seriously. It's been a long 11 minutes for crying out loud.

Mormon Red Death
10-04-2014, 08:47 PM
Great to see Carter out there

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Solon
10-04-2014, 08:48 PM
Great to see Carter out there

Punt team & defense just netted us 18 yds. Let's see if we can run the ball here.

OrangeUte
10-04-2014, 08:51 PM
I guess we have gone away from the fast paced offense.

OrangeUte
Seeing carter is good.

OrangeUte
Seeing Hackett for a second time is not.

Solon
10-04-2014, 08:54 PM
Seeing carter is good.
Wilson has to make them pay when they blitz. Otherwise, they're going to tee off on him.

sancho
10-04-2014, 08:55 PM
Wilson has to make them pay when they blitz. Otherwise, they're going to tee off on him.

story of the past four years.

OrangeUte
10-04-2014, 09:03 PM
We look completely dejected. Who is motivating this team, anyone?

OrangeUte
10-04-2014, 09:05 PM
This game is not going to remain a defensive slug fest for long. Great sack on Hundley.

OrangeUte
10-04-2014, 09:06 PM
Pick 6 baby!!!!!

Solon
We should just punt on first down. Hackett and defense are keeping us close.

DrumNFeather
D came to play!

sancho
10-04-2014, 09:07 PM
Time for an onside kick

OrangeUte
I want to see the kickoff go out of the endzone.

So glad that carter is back.

Solon
We should just punt on first down. Hackett and defense are keeping us close.
And by "close", I mean ahead. Beautiful pick-6!

Applejack

Who needs offense!!!! Carter w the pick six.

Let's just punt on first downs.

OrangeUte
10-04-2014, 09:08 PM
Onside kick. Hahaha!

OrangeUte
Time for an onside kick

Genius!

sancho
Omigosh, i called that play

chrisrenrut
10-04-2014, 09:09 PM
D came to play!

But we need the offense to give them some rest. The onside kick will at least give them some rest on the sideline for a few minutes.

Applejack
10-04-2014, 09:10 PM
Omigosh, i called that play

Whit loves the onsides.

Uh-oh, k Thompson is in. Lots of negative rushing yards ahead.

sancho
10-04-2014, 09:11 PM
Whit loves the onsides.

You called it.

OrangeUte
10-04-2014, 09:12 PM
Complete disappointment.

sancho
10-04-2014, 09:12 PM
Whit loves the onsides.

Two out of three plays.

sancho
10-04-2014, 09:14 PM
USC goes down on Hail Mary

OrangeUte
Now we are going to have 2 qb's with mental blocks.

OrangeUte
USC goes down on Hail Mary

Just saw that. Wild.

sancho
10-04-2014, 09:15 PM
Now we are going to have 2 qb's with mental blocks.

Two down two to go. Let's do three and outs with Cox and manning too.

OrangeUte
10-04-2014, 09:17 PM
Finally pick up first down.

OrangeUte
10-04-2014, 09:18 PM
Two down two to go. Let's do three and outs with Cox and manning too.

Haha!

chrisrenrut
10-04-2014, 09:18 PM
First down, finally!

OrangeUte
10-04-2014, 09:19 PM
Faster pace is nice to see.

DrumNFeather
10-04-2014, 09:21 PM
And a completed pass!

OrangeUte
10-04-2014, 09:22 PM
Up at the end of the first half. Have the ball and are +1 in turnovers. Offense getting going. Good signs.

Applejack
10-04-2014, 09:23 PM

Can Thompson pass? I say yes, he just needs about four seconds to wind up.

sancho
10-04-2014, 09:25 PM
Dres!

OrangeUte
Absolutely beautiful!!!!

DrumNFeather
Who is #6? He looks promising. :)

Applejack
10-04-2014, 09:26 PM
Absolutely beautiful!!!!

I've always said he has amazing hands.

OrangeUte
10-04-2014, 09:26 PM
Lol!

sancho
10-04-2014, 09:27 PM
I have no idea what KT saw there. Double coverage. But boy did it work.

LA Ute
10-04-2014, 09:28 PM
Here in the Rose Bowl, UCLA fans very quiet right now.

OrangeUte
10-04-2014, 09:28 PM
I have no idea what KT saw there. Double coverage. But boy did it work.

Dres had separation. I don't think he saw the backup heading over. Great catch.

OrangeUte
10-04-2014, 09:29 PM

Behave yourself.

sancho
10-04-2014, 09:29 PM

I want you loud enough to cause a false start on this drive.

OrangeUte
10-04-2014, 09:32 PM
Come
On
Defense

OrangeUte
10-04-2014, 09:33 PM
That looked way too easy

sancho
There goes our momentum.

DrumNFeather
Uhhhh...what was that!

Applejack
10-04-2014, 09:34 PM
There goes our momentum.

Has Carter come back? I haven't seen him

sancho
10-04-2014, 09:44 PM
Big drive here for the defense.

OrangeUte
10-04-2014, 09:45 PM
Come on defense. We need a big stop here.

OrangeUte
10-04-2014, 09:50 PM
Offense come on baby - lets move the ball.

OrangeUte
10-04-2014, 09:56 PM
Settling for a field goal here. I understand it but I hope that's really not the mindset.

sancho
10-04-2014, 09:57 PM
Settling for a field goal here. I understand it but I hope that's really not the mindset.

It's tough. This is a running offense, especially with kt.

OrangeUte
10-04-2014, 09:58 PM
True. Good point.

justaute
10-04-2014, 10:00 PM
Did we lose all our tight-ends? Is Tim Patrick injured?

sancho
10-04-2014, 10:03 PM
Congrats, aj, on the giants. How many of those 18 innings did you watch?

DrumNFeather
10-04-2014, 10:07 PM
I suffered through it...

sancho
10-04-2014, 10:17 PM
I suffered through it...

Sorry man, baseball has been bad to us this week. Football's gonna make it up to us here, though.

Solon
10-04-2014, 10:17 PM
I suffered through it...

Booker is having a nice game. 67 yards at half.
perkins has 87 for ucla.
KT is 7 for 7 passing.

DrumNFeather
10-04-2014, 10:19 PM
perkins has 87 for ucla.
KT is 7 for 7 passing.
I flipped back and forth...sort of a "which offense will let me down first? " Nats by a mile.

Applejack
10-04-2014, 10:19 PM

6. From the eighth until the Utah game started

Applejack
10-04-2014, 10:21 PM
Did we lose all our tight-ends? Is Tim Patrick injured?

With Thompson we've been running 4 wide to clear out the box. The right end position may die at Utah.

I'm still waiting for tevin Carter. We need him.

sancho
10-04-2014, 10:27 PM
perkins has 87 for ucla.
KT is 7 for 7 passing.

You'd think with 7 for 7, I'd feel better about our pass attack. How many of those 7 were in the pocket?

justaute
10-04-2014, 10:28 PM
Well, I hope that doesn't happen. I think, given the state of our offense, Tonga/Tight-ends, Patrick, and Scott are our best medium/short-route receivers. Anderson is unreliable. Those big, over-the-top strikes are few and far in between, and our o-line can't give that much time. Give me more dink-and-dunk plays. Let see what adjustments UCLA makes against our offense at half-time. As one of the announcers mentioned, UCLA's defense should just stuff the box and make Thompson throw the ball.

And, yes, we do need Carter.

With Thompson we've been running 4 wide to clear out the box. The right end position may die at Utah.

I'm still waiting for tevin Carter. We need him.

LA Ute
10-04-2014, 10:41 PM
Very costly roughing the passer penalty. Who did that?

DrumNFeather
10-04-2014, 10:41 PM
A weak call and Hundley sold it.

concerned
10-04-2014, 10:44 PM

57. the transfer from USU cant spell his name, but it starts with an F.

OrangeUte
10-04-2014, 10:44 PM
Man that roughing the passer call really hurts.

LA Ute
10-04-2014, 10:45 PM
Let's not choke.

LA Ute
10-04-2014, 10:46 PM
57. the transfer from USU cant spell his name, but it starts with an F.

Fanaika

sancho
10-04-2014, 10:46 PM
Let's not choke.

It's gonna be up to the offense, like usual.

OrangeUte
10-04-2014, 10:48 PM
Love that run by booker.

OrangeUte
10-04-2014, 10:48 PM
Not having a passing game at all is going to hurt.

OrangeUte
10-04-2014, 10:55 PM
Booker comes up huge!!!!!!

sancho
It's gonna be up to the offense, like usual.

Offense answers, not like usual.

OrangeUte
No passing game but we sure have a great run game.

DrumNFeather
Booker comes up huge!!!!!!
Love that guy.

Solon
10-04-2014, 10:56 PM
Not having a passing game at all is going to hurt.
That was a drive!

OrangeUte
10-04-2014, 10:57 PM
Boy was it ever!

chrisrenrut
That long drive finished with a touchdown was just what we needed.

sancho
Gotta keep hundley contained now.

LA Ute
10-04-2014, 10:58 PM
Nice drive, ate up 5 minutes, didn't it?

DrumNFeather
10-04-2014, 10:59 PM
Finish, finish, finish!

Solon
10-04-2014, 11:01 PM
Finish, finish, finish!
Booker runs like a mike Anderson/dameon hunter/quint on Ganther /Mack/ wolf man.
it's nice to have a bruiser RB.

sancho
10-04-2014, 11:04 PM
Was that Paul limping off?

concerned
10-04-2014, 11:05 PM
Fanaika

I was wrong. It was 57 but it is not Fanika. It is Sese Ianu.

concerned
10-04-2014, 11:06 PM
Was that Paul limping off?

ye. Looked like his foot again

OrangeUte
10-04-2014, 11:07 PM
Losing paul is not good. Limped off.

sancho
10-04-2014, 11:07 PM
Not a bad time for a bye. New qb, and recovery time for Paul and Carter.

OrangeUte
10-04-2014, 11:08 PM
Jeez clay

OrangeUte
10-04-2014, 11:08 PM
Our receivers have completely gone dead.

OrangeUte
10-04-2014, 11:09 PM
Punted too fast. Could have drained 20 more seconds off the clock.

sancho
10-04-2014, 11:10 PM
Our receivers have completely gone dead.

What a bad drop.

OrangeUte
10-04-2014, 11:11 PM
Kaelin w that drop and last week w the fumble. He is not doing as good of a job being an offensive playmaker as he has done as a special teams playmaker.

justaute
10-04-2014, 11:11 PM
Patrick seems to be the only guy who doesn't drop balls, but he barely plays. If Anderson wants to rely on his speed for NFL, think again.

OrangeUte
10-04-2014, 11:13 PM
Terrible coverage.

OrangeUte
10-04-2014, 11:14 PM
Giving up a big play like that is pathetic.

justaute
That's the Utah secondary we know.

OrangeUte
At least make them earn it.

DrumNFeather
A little surprised they didn't review his feet. Looked close at the 30.

LA Ute
10-04-2014, 11:15 PM
Hey if I were UCLA I'd go right at our true freshman too.

justaute
10-04-2014, 11:15 PM
Ok...we need another +5-minute drive.

sancho
10-04-2014, 11:16 PM
When ucla had a big play vs asu, it woke them up. We need a strong response.

OrangeUte
10-04-2014, 11:17 PM
Ok...we need another +5-minute drive.

That ends w a td.

LA Ute
10-04-2014, 11:19 PM
Drops.

OrangeUte
10-04-2014, 11:19 PM
Another drop.

OrangeUte
10-04-2014, 11:20 PM
These receivers are killing us tonight.

OrangeUte
Just awful.

OrangeUte
Time to kill a drive defense.

justaute
10-04-2014, 11:21 PM
Put Patrick in.

OrangeUte
10-04-2014, 11:21 PM
How are these receivers not catching these balls?

LA Ute
10-04-2014, 11:22 PM
Let's get the mo back!

OrangeUte
10-04-2014, 11:22 PM
Put Patrick in.

They are onto our plan to just use booker. We've got to have someone else step up and make a play. And the defense has to force a punt.

DrumNFeather
10-04-2014, 11:23 PM
They went right back to the wheel route on the first sack.

OrangeUte
10-04-2014, 11:25 PM
Wow. Defense comes up huge.

DrumNFeather
Come on O!

OrangeUte
They went right back to the wheel route on the first sack.

Didn't notice that.

chrisrenrut
10-04-2014, 11:26 PM
Wow, it's a sack-fest.

Thank goodness, much better than the suck-fest I feared.

DrumNFeather
10-04-2014, 11:28 PM
I'll take the 3, but dammit.

justaute
Nothing but conservative calls.

OrangeUte

Exactly.

mpfunk

We needed better. We needed to use more clock and we needed a TD.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

OrangeUte
10-04-2014, 11:29 PM
Can't Phillips kick it out of the endzone anymore? That was stupid.

sancho
10-04-2014, 11:30 PM
We needed better. We needed to use more clock and we needed a TD.

Yup. Now we're exactly where we were a week ago. Praying for a stop.

mpfunk
10-04-2014, 11:32 PM
Fuck.

OrangeUte
10-04-2014, 11:32 PM
Needed more than 3 so we could avoid playing from behind to win.

mpfunk
10-04-2014, 11:33 PM
Progress = wins. I don't give a shit if we almost win. It is meaningless. We don't pull this off, we have shown no progression.

OrangeUte
10-04-2014, 11:33 PM
We gave them such good field position on that stupid kick off.

justaute
10-04-2014, 11:34 PM
Let me guess...the play-calling will be run, run, and then have to pass.

sancho
10-04-2014, 11:36 PM
Let me guess...the play-calling will be run, run, and then have to pass.

Booker is having a game, what do you want?

justaute
Let's go o-line. Open those holes.

OrangeUte
That should be called.

justaute
10-04-2014, 11:37 PM
I'm good with it. Nothing wrong with their knowing what's coming as long as we execute.

Booker is having a game, what do you want?

OrangeUte
10-04-2014, 11:39 PM
We need a first down here.

DrumNFeather
We need the first down here.

justaute
Yes we do. Still too much time left.

We need a first down here.

OrangeUte
10-04-2014, 11:40 PM
Oh yeah!!!!!

justaute
10-04-2014, 11:41 PM
I do think o-line is playing better tonight. Keep it up.

chrisrenrut
10-04-2014, 11:46 PM
This whole drive, I keep wondering what can possibly go wrong to lose this game. I have battered-fan syndrome. I won't be comfortable until we have the lead and the clock is at 00:00.

DrumNFeather
10-04-2014, 11:46 PM
34 seconds with their speed scares me.

justaute
10-04-2014, 11:47 PM
Andy Phillips -- Mr. Ice. Let's D! Please don't get Cal'ed or USC'ed.

Solon
10-04-2014, 11:48 PM
We are going to lose. The football Gods will not be okay with how we played for a FG

Dude. You're killing me.

chrisrenrut
10-04-2014, 11:50 PM
We are rushing 4, thank goodness.

chrisrenrut
10-04-2014, 11:53 PM
I won't be comfortable until we have the lead and the clock is at 00:00.

I take this back.

concerned
10-04-2014, 11:54 PM
if we had lost on that ridiculous running in to the kicker penalty, I would have committed suicide.

DrumNFeather
10-04-2014, 11:54 PM
Good. That penalty was garbage.

chrisrenrut
10-04-2014, 11:55 PM
Oh my. What a crazy game.

DrumNFeather
10-04-2014, 11:55 PM
Great way to head into the bye! Well done boys!

sancho
10-04-2014, 11:56 PM
if we had lost on that ridiculous running in to the kicker penalty, I would have committed suicide.

I was thinking murder suicide with the referees. Can I say that online?

hostile
10-04-2014, 11:57 PM
Yes!!!

mpfunk
10-04-2014, 11:57 PM
I'm thrilled with the win, now no t shirts being made and no week after let downs.

sancho
10-04-2014, 11:59 PM
no week after let downs.

Bye week!

DrumNFeather
10-05-2014, 12:00 AM
Bye week!
Can't lose!

LA Ute
10-05-2014, 12:01 AM
Holy cow

SeattleUte
10-05-2014, 12:02 AM

I hate to grouse at a time of enormous triumph and celebration like this and after such a heroic performance and brilliant coaching display, but why were they trying to block a 55 yard field goal? The odds were almost nil he'd make it.

SeattleUte
10-05-2014, 12:03 AM
Holy cow

For the love of god don't call this a signature win.

sancho
10-05-2014, 12:03 AM
I hate to grouse at a time of enormous triumph and celebration like this and after such a heroic performance and brilliant coaching display, but why were they trying to block a 55 yard field goal? The odds were almost nil he'd make it.

I know it's not classy, but after he faked one, I hope that dirtbag kicker suffers a real leg injury this week walking to class.

DrumNFeather
10-05-2014, 12:04 AM
Adrenaline. Testosterone.

chrisrenrut
10-05-2014, 12:07 AM
On an absolutely crazy sports day, the Utes get a few minutes on the front page of ESPN:

Solon
10-05-2014, 12:16 AM
On an absolutely crazy sports day, the Utes get a few minutes on the front page of ESPN:
wow. Great game.
KT brought it. Accurate passing(albeit for only about 100 yds.) No turnovers. The offense was improved.
very nice to come away with a road win.

chrisrenrut
10-05-2014, 12:19 AM
The three things that were key to the win:

D line and LB's pressuring and sacking Hundley 10 times

BOOKER!

Kicking game, both punting for field position and Automatic Andy.

Whittingham was asked in the post game interview why he played for the field goal at the end. He said "we've got an all-american kicker, and we knew we could get the clock down to about 30 seconds".

justaute
10-05-2014, 12:22 AM
Agreed. Also, on the offensive side, KT played solidly for his first significant-minutes game. O-line did play better, as well.

The three things that were key to the win:

D line and LB's pressuring and sacking Hundley 10 times

BOOKER!

Kicking game, both punting for field position and Automatic Andy.

Whittingham was asked in the post game interview why he played for the field goal at the end. He said "we've got an all-american kicker, and we knew we could get the clock down to about 30 seconds".

sancho
10-05-2014, 12:23 AM
That Booker first down on 3rd and 4 was a thing of beauty. Denied at the line, bounced it out like a boss.

OrangeUte
10-05-2014, 12:25 AM
That Booker first down on 3rd and 4 was a thing of beauty. Denied at the line, bounced it out like a boss.

Keep telling my wife that this was probably the play of the game.

UtahsMrSports
10-05-2014, 12:27 AM
We have wins this year at the big house and at tge rose bowl. What a win, what a win.

justaute
10-05-2014, 12:28 AM
Absolutely.

OrangeUte
10-05-2014, 12:31 AM
My ute flag will be flying all night.

OrangeUte
10-05-2014, 12:31 AM
We have wins this year at the big house and at tge rose bowl. What a win, what a win.

Isn't that awesome!?!?!?

SoCalPat
10-05-2014, 12:44 AM
Let's be honest here. If we lose 28-27 (again) after Kyle passed up 4th and short so he can kick a FG to go up 6, how many of you want Chris Hill to do his best Pat Haden impersonation on Kyle at SLC when he gets home?

Going with Booker on our final drive makes last week's decisions all that more aggravating. We should be 5-0. and ranked in the upper teens in Sunday's polls.

Sullyute
10-05-2014, 12:57 AM
Let's be honest here. If we lose 28-27 (again) after Kyle passed up 4th and short so he can kick a FG to go up 6, how many of you want Chris Hill to do his best Pat Haden impersonation on Kyle at SLC when he gets home?

Going with Booker on our final drive makes last week's decisions all that more aggravating. We should be 5-0. and ranked in the upper teens in Sunday's polls.

3 and 3 and we just play for the field goal? I wanted the first down and put the game away instead of giving them any chance of a come back. Their kicker must be a former soccer player the way he faked hurt. But a great win to cap off a crazy week.

justaute
10-05-2014, 01:20 AM
Just want to say the Pac12 Network's Post-game Report show is terrific. The comments and analyses from all participates are terrific.

Curtis Conway just made a speech about when the "coaches" are going to accept the responsibility of not changing the ineffective schemes; the example he used was UCLA's offense/line-play vis-a-vis Hundley's sacks.

LA Ute
10-05-2014, 02:02 AM
My ute flag will be flying all night.

Mine is out there right now and will be 'till tomorrow night. I'm surrounded by UCLA fans where I live.

LA Ute
10-05-2014, 02:27 AM
For the love of god don't call this a signature win.

Hadn't occurred to me. Will you object if I call it a great, historic win? It is the first time we've beaten UCLA in the Rose Bowl, and I think I heard someone say it's the first time we've beaten a ranked team on the road. It might well be Utah's biggest win in the PAC-12. I'm not sure we've ever come back from behind in the final quarter against anyone during the PAC-12 era, let alone a ranked team on its home field.

So it may not be a signature win (whatever that is) but I think you'll grant that it does have some unique distinguishing characteristics.

Mormon Red Death
10-05-2014, 07:41 AM
Hadn't occurred to me. Will you object if I call it a great, historic win? It is the first time we've beaten UCLA in the Rose Bowl, and I think I heard someone say it's the first time we've beaten a ranked team on the road. It might well be Utah's biggest win in the PAC-12. I'm not sure we've ever come back from behind in the final quarter against anyone during the PAC-12 era, let alone a ranked team on its home field.

So it may not be a signature win (whatever that is) but I think you'll grant that it does have some unique distinguishing characteristics.

Its our biggest pac 12 win ever. We hadn't won a road conference game since 2012. We beat a top 8 team.

sancho
10-05-2014, 07:50 AM
Its our biggest pac 12 win ever. We hadn't won a road conference game since 2012. We beat a top 8 team.

Have to wait and see where ucla ends up. Stanford last year still ended up ranked high. Ucla might lose a bunch of games this year.

I'm not drafting hundley if I'm an nfl gm. He has some beautiful passes, but how can he let himself get sacked ten times? And 100+ times in his career? Deer in the headlights. Ucla could have done more damage running him more.

Snowman
10-05-2014, 08:04 AM
I don't know about the NFL but I do know that Mora needed to adjust their play calling to very quick short passes. But then again, thank God he didn't.

OrangeUte
10-05-2014, 08:14 AM
Anyone know the status of injuries?

Sullyute
10-05-2014, 08:20 AM
Anyone know the status of injuries?

On the radio post game they said that Tevan Carter pulled a groin muscle. No idea how long he may be out.

OrangeUte
10-05-2014, 08:22 AM
I didn't hear that. Thanks. I hope Gionni Paul is okay. Limping off the field and with his barely recovered from a broken foot. Aye carumba - I hope he's okay.

concerned
10-05-2014, 08:40 AM
I didn't hear that. Thanks. I hope Gionni Paul is okay. Limping off the field and with his barely recovered from a broken foot. Aye carumba - I hope he's okay.

Paul played the whole 4th q.

OrangeUte
10-05-2014, 08:41 AM
Paul plyed the wholev4th q.

Haha - I didn't even notice.

Diehard Ute
10-05-2014, 08:52 AM
Haha - I didn't even notice.

Listening to what parts of the post game I could it sounded like cramps. They went from 55-60 degree weather here to 102 there

concerned
10-05-2014, 09:15 AM

on tv, they said it was the first time we had beaten a ranked team on the road since we beat #8 Colorado in 1961 (which would have been Whizzer White's team, I think. Or maybe Walter White's).

LA Ute
10-05-2014, 09:41 AM
Official Utah press release:

Utah Stuns No. 8 UCLA With Late Field Goal (http://www.utahutes.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/100514aad.html)
Andy Phillips kicked a 29-yard field goal with 34 seconds left

Oct. 05, 2014

Final Stats (http://www.utahutes.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2014-2015/utahucla.html) | Notes (http://www.utahutes.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/100514aaa.html) | Photo Gallery

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/utah/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/10406259.jpeg (http://www.utahutes.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/100514aad.html#)

PASADENA, Calif. - Andy Phillips' 29-yard game-winning field goal with 34 seconds remaining gave the University of Utah football team a 30-28 Pac-12 Conference road victory at No. 8 UCLA Saturday night in the Rose Bowl.

Utah (4-1, 1-1 Pac-12) started its game-winning scoring drive on its own 25-yard line and went 63 yards in 10 plays and 4:16 that allowed Phillips to make a 29-yard field goal, his third of the contest. Phillips went 3-for-3 in the game with makes from 48, 45 and 29 and is now 7-for-9 this season from 40+ yards and 16-of-20 in his career. He also recovered his own onside kick attempt.

Junior quarterback Kendal Thompson took over during Utah's fourth offensive series and was 10-for-13 for 95 yards and a touchdown without an interception. He was also second on the team with 83 rushing yards on 19 carries. Travis Wilson started and played the first three drives.

Junior running back Devontae Booker rushed for a team-high 156 rushing yards on 33 attempts with a touchdown, his second straight 100-yard rushing game.

With two receptions for 38 yards, including a 42-yard touchdown catch (his second catch went for a four-yard loss), Dres Anderson became the fifth Ute in school history to have more than 2,000 receiving yards. He now has 2,012 career receiving yards.

Senior Kaelin Clay also had 38 receiving yards on five catches and totaled 76 all-purpose yards.

The Utes sacked Bruin quarterback Brett Hundley 10 times, the second-most in school history and their 13 tackles for loss was the most since 2010.

Senior defensive end Nate Orchard tied the school record with four sacks in addition to a team-high 11 tackles.

Sophomore defensive end Hunter Dimick had 2.5 sacks and now has 5.0 sacks on the season.

Linebacker Jared Norris recorded 10 tackles, including a sack and two for loss, for his fourth career double-digit-tackle performance.

Senior safety Tevin Carter came up with a 27-yard interception return.

Junior punter Tom Hackett averaged 49.2 yards on eight punts with four punts of 50 or more yards and four downed inside the 11-yard line. He has 11 punts inside the 10-yard line this season (29 career).

After the teams went 3-and-out during the first five series of the game, Carter picked off a screen pass over thrown by Hundley and bolted 27 yards down the sideline for his second `pick-six' of the season to give the Utes an early 7-0 lead.

Phillips then recovered his own onside attempt on the ensuing kickoff to give the Utes possession at their own 46-yard line.

Thompson then found Anderson in the end zone for an acrobatic 42-yard touchdown catch, his fifth score of the season.

The Bruins came back with a nice 10-play, 82-yard scoring drive, capped by a 4-yard rushing touchdown by Paul Perkins brought UCLA with seven points of Utah, 14-7.

The Utes countered with an extended scoring drive of their own, an 11-play, 49-yard series to set up Andy Phillips' 48-yard field goal attempt, which he drilled through the uprights to put Utah ahead 17-7 heading into halftime.

The Bruins reached the end zone during their second offensive series of the second half, but the Utes answered promptly with a 13-play, 75-yard scoring march after a tough 6-yard scoring run by Booker to push their lead back to 10, 24-14.

Hundley then found Devin Fuller on a wheel route out of the backfield for a 93-yard score to pull the home team back within a field goal, 24-21.

A diving seven-yard run on third-down by Thompson during Utah's next drive set up Phillips' second field goal of the contest from 45 yards to inch the Ute lead out to six points, 27-21.

UCLA (4-0, 1-0 Pac-12) took its first lead of the contest after a 40-yard scoring strike from Hundley to Eldridge Massington to give the home team a 28-27 advantage.

After their second bye week of the season, the Utes head to Corvallis, Ore., to face Oregon State on Thur., Oct. 16. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. PT on Fox Sports 1.

SoCalPat
10-05-2014, 09:54 AM
on tv, they said it was the first time we had beaten a ranked team on the road since we beat #8 Colorado in 1961 (which would have been Whizzer White's team, I think. Or maybe Walter White's).

Whizzer White played in the 1930s. He was appointed to the SC in 1962.

concerned
10-05-2014, 09:56 AM
Whizzer White played in the 1930s. He was appointed to the SC in 1962.

Yeah, I got confused. He was JFK's contemporary, and friend from England, which is how he got to the SC. Must have been Walter White's team.

SoCalPat
10-05-2014, 09:57 AM

Just as important, we're 1-1 in league play. We've been .500 only once before, going into the CU game in 2011.

LA Ute
10-05-2014, 11:00 AM

I was questioning that decision to kick the the FG on 4th and 3, but on reflection I realized that if you line up 10 knowledgeable football fans and ask them about that call, 5 will agree with it and 5 will not. The UCLA game was a chess match, much more than the WSU game was. The coaching staff -- DC must have been intimately involved in that decision -- worked their strategy and it succeeded. That's good enough for me.

BTW, I think the Utah coaching last night was overall very impressive. So did the network guys (and the knowledgeable UCLA fans around me, FWIW).

LA Ute
10-05-2014, 11:12 AM
Here's the L.A. Times UCLA beat writer on the game. Interestingly, he's very critical of Mora's decision to go for a field goal at the end instead of simply throwing for the end zone.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/uclanow/la-sp-ucla-five-things-learned-utah-20141005-story.html#page=1

Solon
10-05-2014, 11:15 AM
I was questioning that decision to punt on 4th and 3, but on reflection I realized that if you line up 10 knowledgeable football fans and ask them about that call, 5 will agree with it and 5 will not. The UCLA game was a chess match, much more than the WSU game was. The coaching staff -- DC must have been intimately involved in that decision -- worked their strategy and it succeeded. That's good enough for me.

BTW, I think the Utah coaching last night was overall very impressive. So did the network guys (and the knowledgeable UCLA fans around me, FWIW).

The Utes managed the clock pretty well last night at the end of both halves, getting a FG in each.
To Thompson's credit, backup QBs (understandably) can be quick to burn a timeout, but the Utes had them when they needed them.

Solon
10-05-2014, 11:19 AM
Here's the L.A. Times UCLA beat writer on the game. Interestingly, he's very critical of Mora's decision to go for a field goal at the end instead of simply throwing for the end zone.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/uclanow/la-sp-ucla-five-things-learned-utah-20141005-story.html#page=1

Aaah. So that UCLA RB Perkins was sick. That's why he didn't play much in the second half. He looked really good in the 1st half.

LA Ute
10-05-2014, 11:21 AM
Here's my question for people more knowledgeable about football than I am: How does a coach teach receivers to catch the ball? Our pass plays seem to work to the point of getting receivers open and getting the ball into their hands. If they can get better at catching the rock, our offense would be much more productive.

concerned
10-05-2014, 11:27 AM
Here's my question for people more knowledgeable about football than I am: How does a coach teach receivers to catch the ball? Our pass plays seem to work to the point of getting receivers open and getting the ball into their hands. If they can get better at catching the rock, our offense would be much more productive.

Seems to me if you have to teach a receiver to catch, you have recruited the wrong guy.

concerned
10-05-2014, 11:28 AM
The Utes managed the clock pretty well last night at the end of both halves, getting a FG in each.
To Thompson's credit, backup QBs (understandably) can be quick to burn a timeout, but the Utes had them when they needed them.

KT did burn one early in the second half; we only had two at the end. At the time, I thought it would come back to haunt us, but it didn't.

Solon
10-05-2014, 11:30 AM

Conventional wisdom is (usually) to catch with the hands, index fingers & thumbs forming a kind of (non-touching) diamond. Some receivers tilt their wrists backwards. Others don't.
The Utes definitely dropped some catchable passes last night - I'm especially thinking of the early Wilson throw to Scott & the Thompson 3rd down pass late to Clay.

I think it boils down to concentration.

Solon
10-05-2014, 11:33 AM
KT did burn one early in the second half; we only had two at the end. At the time, I thought it would come back to haunt us, but it didn't.

Oh yeah, there was that one. But still, the Utes did pretty well at the end of the halves. Not perfect, but an improvement.