PDA

View Full Version : Kendal Thompson

SeattleUte
10-05-2014, 09:35 AM
Is he the starter now? Is there a controversy? He made that one grave mistake against MI in his first series, but othrewise he seems to move the team, in extremely difficult situations.

Ma'ake
10-05-2014, 09:51 AM
In this game you go with your hot hand. Kendal clearly led the offense when it desperately needed to be led.

That doesn't mean he couldn't stink it up in Corvalis, or another game down the road, and Travis Wilson better keep his head in the game, as odds are his number will be called again, but right now, KT is the QB.

How much of a factor in Kendal looking great was UCLA prepping for Wilson, then not being able to load up on expected plays? I think that was a significant factor. We wore their D down, certainly in part to KT being able to extend plays.

I can promise you the Beavs will scheme to make Kendal look like crap. This league is awesome.

At this level it's amazing how much success is not predicated on being able to impose your will on an opponent, and more about finding - even minor - advantages and then trying to use a crowbar to make those advantages make a difference.

This game is won at the margins far more often than we ever saw before. Remember the days when we could just show up, have a bunch of turnovers, look like crap, and still win the game? It's like it was a different sport.

sancho
10-05-2014, 09:53 AM
Is he the starter now?

Yes.

I hope we don't find out, but I wonder if he'll be on the same short leash vs OSU that TW was on last night.

concerned
10-05-2014, 10:17 AM
He seems to suit the strengths and weaknesses of our o line better. They cant keep a pocket, but they can run block. They seem more effective blocking for him and the schemes when he is in.

Will be interesting to see what happens when a team game plans for him or he faces a stout front 7, like USC's.

Snowman
10-05-2014, 10:39 AM
Travis is beautiful and resilient and more glory will rain on him this season.

LA Ute
10-05-2014, 10:47 AM
Kendal had no turnovers and made plays no one else on the Utah squad could have made. I saw him take one amazing hit (the crowed gasped) and jump right up. He was a warrior last night, and was very impressive in the post-game interview on KALL. FWIW, he really does sound a lot more mature than Travis. I still admire Travis and hope we see more of him this season.

Solon
10-05-2014, 10:48 AM
Travis is beautiful and resilient and more glory will rain on him this season.

Thompson's threat to run reduced UCLA's ability to blitz on obvious passing downs. Wilson can run, we all know, but Thompson is more slippery.
That spin-move was one for the ages.

Wilson will see the field again, if only via the requisite injury that seems to visit every quarterback on occasion.

Snowman
10-05-2014, 10:53 AM
I'm thinking Whit might just switch it up whenever the other starts to slump. 2QB systems are taboo but so is kissing your sister and I think your sister is cute. And I wanna win!

NorthwestUteFan
10-05-2014, 10:54 AM
KT runs the read option better than TW. He can bounce outside when the D stacks the box and he made UCLA pay for it last night. He has better foot work, pocket adjustments, and mobility. He has a far better 'touch' on the short passes. And he seems to be more accurate on the long passes, though he lacks TW's strength and underthrows slightly (although that pass to Dres was still 50+ yards in the air). Watching KT pop right back up smiling after getting pasted was a thing of beauty, especially since the defender hurt himself trying to kill KT. KT also spent 4 years developing with an entirely different coaching staff and that is a strength (Didn't he redshirt one year?).

TW is far stronger on the ground in the running plays but he isn't as elusive and isn't making the proper reads sometimes.. He throws too hard and behind receivers in the crossing routes. He seems to have a very quick release but it is very low and that bothers me a lot.

I think a lot of our O line woes on passing plays might have to do with TW being a bit weaker in terms of pocket awareness.

If TW can work on his touch with the short passes and accuracy with the long passes then he will get back on the field. Until then KT is fast becoming a legend.

UtahsMrSports
10-05-2014, 11:06 AM
Im patting myself on the back for predicting wed beat UCLA. im pretending i never said wed lose all games with kendall. He did a nice job last night, but we gotta pass for more than 100 yards. Asking a running back to give you 33 carries a night is too much.

Snowman
10-05-2014, 11:07 AM
It's too early to assume anything long term about KT. All we have is hope at this time.

Mormon Red Death
10-05-2014, 11:08 AM
We didn't throw once across the middle last night. I don't know what that means. But I'm guessing we won't do that again.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

concerned
10-05-2014, 11:10 AM
Kendal had no turnovers and made plays no one else on the Utah squad could have made. I saw him take one amazing hit (the crowed gasped) and jump right up. He was a warrior last night, and was very impressive in the post-game interview on KALL. FWIW, he really does sound a lot more mature than Travis. I still admire Travis and hope we see more of him this season.

on tv, the replay showed it was a helmet to helmet hit, and the announcers said UCLA should have been flagged. KT bounced back up, the UCLA player had to be helped off the field. (there was another play where KT had been tackled and was hit in the head on the ground; announcers said that should ha ve been flagged too.)

UtahsMrSports
10-05-2014, 11:30 AM
We didn't throw once across the middle last night. I don't know what that means. But I'm guessing we won't do that again.

This was the same story in the Wazzu game. Its there; im not sure why we dont take it more.

U-Ute
10-05-2014, 12:05 PM
This feels like when Wynn replaced Cain.

Solon
10-05-2014, 12:11 PM
on tv, the replay showed it was a helmet to helmet hit, and the announcers said UCLA should have been flagged. KT bounced back up, the UCLA player had to be helped off the field. (there was another play where KT had been tackled and was hit in the head on the ground; announcers said that should ha ve been flagged too.)

I thought the UCLA player that had to be helped was #10, who came in just after the big hit (hit was made by a player wearing 50-something) and tripped over the detritus. Maybe I didn't see that correctly, though - I was pretty tired last night.

I agree that it should have been flagged. Blechen's big hit was right in the numbers, so it's hard for me to say "the refs were just letting them play". Thompson was on the sideline. Besides, it doesn't have to be a helmet-hit to be considered "unnecessary roughness."

NorthwestUteFan
10-05-2014, 12:38 PM
A shoulder pad higher that the top of the chest is a targetting call. But that was probably a borderline targetting call at best.

SoCalPat
10-05-2014, 02:05 PM
KT earned the right to start against OSU and he'll play as long as we win. Trouble is, I don't see us winning many games when we get only 5.6 YPA and 8.4 YPC.

This reminds me of when Hays replaced Wynn. Fortunately, we're better prepared to move forward with KT. We tried running the same offense with Hays and it was a disaster (remember 2011 Cal?). But once we brought in a fullback and made Hays only throw deep off play action, we were pretty good. We had JW4, who is on par with Booker this year. We don't have the sledgehammer fullback in Asiata, but I suspect we're gonna see some really exotic things in this offense (especially with our formations) to keep the chains moving and score points.

We had one play last night dialed up that looked like it was a reverse to Clay, with maybe a throw downfield. Unfortunately, UCLA defended it great and Booker wisely held on to the ball and swallowed a 2-yard loss. I expect to see some plays like that against Oregon State.

chrisrenrut
10-05-2014, 02:28 PM
http://giant.gfycat.com/GloriousWarpedElectriceel.gif

Solon
10-05-2014, 03:10 PM
http://giant.gfycat.com/GloriousWarpedElectriceel.gif

Man, I love that pump-fake too.

NorthwestUteFan
10-05-2014, 03:27 PM
The defense must honor the pump fake too, because he is very good throwing touch passes on the run.

LA Ute
10-05-2014, 04:09 PM
Man, I love that pump-fake too.

I don't think the UCLA linebacker did.

wally
10-05-2014, 04:47 PM
How much of a factor in Kendal looking great was UCLA prepping for Wilson, then not being able to load up on expected plays? I think that was a significant factor. We wore their D down, certainly in part to KT being able to extend plays.

I can promise you the Beavs will scheme to make Kendal look like crap. This league is awesome.

At this level it's amazing how much success is not predicated on being able to impose your will on an opponent, and more about finding - even minor - advantages and then trying to use a crowbar to make those advantages make a difference.

I think that your input here is not getting due attention. TW & KT are very different QBs, and it is difficult to prepare for both. 2 QB systems almost never work, but maybe, just maybe we can catch lightning in a bottle?!

NorthwestUteFan
10-05-2014, 05:09 PM
I am sure UCLA's DC was pulling out his long, luxurious, wavy, salt 'n pepper hair over it. KT nailed Dres in double coverage for a 42 us TD, and he was about 9 for 13 on the shorter passes with two incompletions hitting the receivers square in the hands, and the KT and Booker show was chewing up both yardage and game clock with the read option. The defense was paying the price for stacking the box or blitzing, so the 'pressure TW' game plan wasn't viable.

But Defensive Coordinators get paid big bucks to react and modify schemes and alignments on the fly, and by the time he changed up the scheme to stop us we were far enough ahead that field goals from Automatic Andy kept us in the game.

Honestly I don't know what TW could have done better. He probably finds a way to get positive yardage out of the sacks that KT took. Maybe the 8-15 yard passing game is better with TW, and Dave Christensen is willing to take more homerun shots downfield.

But for now I am content with the win and look forward to a 10-day break.

Bring on the Beavers.

UtahsMrSports
10-05-2014, 05:35 PM
I think that your input here is not getting due attention. TW & KT are very different QBs, and it is difficult to prepare for both. 2 QB systems almost never work, but maybe, just maybe we can catch lightning in a bottle?!

No. No. No. And no.

LA Ute
10-05-2014, 06:01 PM
My totally uneducated guess is that even if KT doesn't keep the starting job (and it may already be his to lose) we'll at least see some KT packages in certain situations.

I have to say I saw killer instinct in KT that has largely been missing this season from the team generally. If I'm right that's a terribly important intangible in a QB.

SeattleUte
10-05-2014, 10:20 PM

This game is won at the margins far more often than we ever saw before.

This is a great observation and very well stated!

ute4eva
10-05-2014, 10:20 PM
I wonder as well if TW could have played better with the play calling for KT. Christensen called a different game once the change was made. I like the adaptability but it seems like it might lead to false hope that KT can run the offense better. We'll see what happens when teams game plan for KT.

Hot Lunch
10-06-2014, 09:22 AM

I don't understand why we aren't doing this more. We have match-ups that could create nightmares if we were to attack the middle of the field.

sancho
10-06-2014, 09:33 AM
So...if KT is the QB from here on out, what's the over/under on how many times he fumbles while scrambling with the ball in just one hand? How many of you also yelled at the TV over this?

U-Ute
10-06-2014, 10:05 AM
I don't understand why we aren't doing this more. We have match-ups that could create nightmares if we were to attack the middle of the field.

I just think our QB's can't make the throws against the speed of the PAC-12 LB's.

mpfunk
10-06-2014, 10:12 AM
The Utes have 2 QBs and neither or them can throw the ball. Go with the QB that cannot throw, but at least is a threat with his legs. Thompson should be the starter the rest of the year.

DrumNFeather
10-06-2014, 10:53 AM
The only thing that makes me nervous about KT is that I remember when Wilson was the shiny new toy in the program a few years ago, and he was basically run into the ground, particularly after he'd already been injured. I'd like to see KT handled so that he can be around for more than a few games. Booker should help alleviate KT's need to run all the time.

U-Ute
10-06-2014, 11:31 AM
The Utes have 2 QBs and neither or them can throw the ball. Go with the QB that cannot throw, but at least is a threat with his legs can run the read option well enough to get Booker loose. Thompson should be the starter the rest of the year.

My feeling.

justaute
10-06-2014, 12:03 PM
Does it matter whether we have QB who can throw the ball? Don't we need WRs who can catch the ball? :)

U-Ute
10-06-2014, 01:23 PM
Does it matter whether we have QB who can throw the ball? Don't we need WRs who can catch the ball? :)

Let's not get ahead of ourselves...

Applejack
10-06-2014, 01:57 PM
I was pleasantly surprised by Thompson on Saturday. I do think that teams will scheme for him by placing an extra man in the box/on the edge to slow down the read option and bring the corners up to take away the quick outs/WR screens. I don't think KT throws across the middle because (1) he hasn't played football in a long time and the middle is filled with people that are looking to do bad things like intercept the ball and (2) he takes about 4 second to wind up, which is what linebackers/safeties live for.

I agree with SoCal that we are going to see a lot of exotic/trick stuff in the next few games. Flea flickers, TONS of jet sweeps, a lot more use of the WR in the read option, etc. Those will hopefully eleviate some of the tightness in the box, but KT is going to have to make a few throws downfield to truly open things up. His TD to Dres was, to put it mildly, underthrown. Wilson is a better thrower, and its not close. But Wilson has seemed tentative in the past two games, so I think Kendall is the man. For now.

SeattleUte
10-06-2014, 03:03 PM
I don't understand SoCal's comparison of Thompson to Hays. Hays was a panic pick up nobody really wanted from a JUCO that cancelled football. Thompson transferred from Oklahoma and I assume he had options.

Applejack
10-06-2014, 03:15 PM
I don't understand SoCal's comparison of Thompson to Hays. Hays was a panic pick up nobody really wanted from a JUCO that cancelled football. Thompson transferred from Oklahoma and I assume he had options.

I agree that KT >>>> Jon Hays. Hays was hard to watch. The fact that we came within a home game of Colorado of going to the Pac-12 championship should appear on Norm Chow's tombstone.

Thompson has limitations - he has a long windup, he's a little loose with the football (he's going to lose a lot of fumbles this year), etc. But he is also shifty, makes pretty good decisions on the read option, and makes pretty good short throws (at least outside the numbers).

I think SoCal's point was more that we will have to make some tweaks on offense for things to run smoothly. With Jon Hays it involved heavy amounts of fullback. With K. Thompson, it will be a lot of weird formations and creative use of the wide receivers.

Two Utes
10-06-2014, 03:15 PM

I agree. I don't think it is a good comparison

sancho
10-06-2014, 05:18 PM
His TD to Dres was, to put it mildly, underthrown. Wilson is a better thrower, and its not close. But Wilson has seemed tentative in the past two games, so I think Kendall is the man. For now.

The two biggest plays of the past two seasons were underthrown long balls that Dres managed to turn into gold against top 10 teams.

I also believe Wilson is the better thrower, but he has not yet shown it this year. So far, KT has been the more accurate of the two.

NorthwestUteFan
10-06-2014, 05:29 PM
TW is a stronger passer and doesn't underthrow receivers, but he also is very inaccurate and throws with little touch on the ball.

The wheel route toss from Hundley was beautiful, beside the fact that it went for a 93 yd touchdown. That play would work well for us if TW could develop a soft touch. KT seems to have a nicer and far more accurate touch pass. Until that happens, KT should be the starter.

SeattleUte
10-07-2014, 10:26 AM
Okay I've looked at that TD pass from Kendal to Dres a bunch of times. I don't see the pass was undertrhrown and I don't see that Dres had to come back to get it. You guys are making that up. Dres was double covered by two strong dbs and went up off his feet, after the ball, which was where it was supposed to be, and just took it; he kept it alive against his hands and his body and brought it home. It was a model play on both ends.

Applejack
10-07-2014, 11:20 AM
Okay I've looked at that TD pass from Kendal to Dres a bunch of times. I don't see the pass was undertrhrown and I don't see that Dres had to come back to get it. You guys are making that up. Dres was double covered by two strong dbs and went up off his feet, after the ball, which was where it was supposed to be, and just took it; he kept it alive against his hands and his body and brought it home. It was a model play on both ends.

While I admire your ability to see the best in everyone, I think it is clear that Kendall is not the strongest passer. Dres has about 3 steps on the db when the pass is thrown - it ended up being a jump ball.

LA Ute
10-07-2014, 11:38 AM
While I admire your ability to see the best in everyone, I think it is clear that Kendall is not the strongest passer. Dres has about 3 steps on the db when the pass is thrown - it ended up being a jump ball.

Yep. There's a lot of things to love about Kendal but his long passing ability is not one of them. Still, to paraphrase a former SecDef, you go into games with the QBs you have.

Scratch
10-07-2014, 12:44 PM

Thompson also put way too much air under it, gave the safety all the time in the world to come help.

SoCalPat
10-07-2014, 02:36 PM
I agree. I don't think it is a good comparison

Y'all don't get it. Hays and Thompson are similar in that they are limited -- we have to make concessions on what we do offensively, primarily in the mid-range passing game (we had none with Hays and I suspect we'll have none with KT). Not that they're the same type of player -- only an idiot would make that comparison. And ultimately nobody cares where they came from.

The big winner in all of this could be Bubba Poole, just like Shawn Asiata was the big winner when we went with Hays. We have no use for Poole in a one-back offense, not with how Booker has established himself. However, to make Booker more effective, we need to give him some cover, and not just with KT, but with a back who can both pick up the blitz and slip out into a pattern and catch a pass. Poole is the guy there.

NorthwestUteFan
10-07-2014, 06:03 PM
Interesting concept. Bubba Poole seems to have the best hands on the team.

For some reason I think of KT being much smaller that TW, but he is 6'2" and 200#. That is still a decent size for a QB in this league, particularly one who is as strong and quick as he is.

I watched Dave Christensen's favorite team, "The World Champion Seattle Seahawks" game last night. I wonder if DC wants to move the Oh-fense in that direction with a shifty and quick QB, blazing speed at WR, big, physical receivers all over the field, moving the pocket around for the QB, and hard-nosed running with a RB who is essentially a lightning-quick bulldozer.

I like the comparison. Now I hope the receivers work on catching the ball...

sancho
10-07-2014, 06:52 PM
I wonder if DC wants to move the Oh-fense in that direction with a shifty and quick QB, blazing speed at WR, big, physical receivers all over the field, moving the pocket around for the QB, and hard-nosed running with a RB who is essentially a lightning-quick bulldozer.

I'm pretty sure any OC would be happy to move in that direction. Russel Wilson is a great QB. To combine him with Lynch and Harvin is just not fair.

SigmaUte
10-07-2014, 07:07 PM
I watched Dave Christensen's favorite team, "The World Champion Seattle Seahawks" game last night. I wonder if DC wants to move the Oh-fense in that direction with a shifty and quick QB, blazing speed at WR, big, physical receivers all over the field, moving the pocket around for the QB, and hard-nosed running with a RB who is essentially a lightning-quick bulldozer.

Obviously the Utes aren't the Seahawks, but there are comparison to be made there. Tough, physical defense & KT could be our Russell Wilson.

Also, Kendal seems to be a fan of Russell Wilson. I saw several tweets form Kendal about Russell last night.

U-Ute
10-07-2014, 07:30 PM
Obviously the Utes aren't the Seahawks, but there are comparison to be made there. Tough, physical defense & KT could be our Russell Wilson.

Also, Kendal seems to be a fan of Russell Wilson. I saw several tweets form Kendal about Russell last night.

If he can make decisions like RWilson does, that would be fine by me.

SigmaUte
10-07-2014, 07:46 PM
If he can make decisions like RWilson does, that would be fine by me.

I did like in his one of his interviews after the game he talked about protecting his body, getting out of bounds, sliding, and just making smart decisions. I hope he means it. From what I've heard/seen from him, he seems to have a high football IQ. I'm guessing a lot of that has to do with his father.