PDA

View Full Version : Nate Orchard

U-Ute
10-27-2014, 01:48 PM
I thought his story deserved it's own thread. I've heard bits and pieces of a lot of it, but it to get the whole picture is mind boggling. He could have gone down the wrong road many times. The Orchard family deserves to be proud of what he has become.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/10/23/nate-orchard-utah-utes

LA Ute
10-27-2014, 03:59 PM
I thought his story deserved it's own thread. I've heard bits and pieces of a lot of it, but it to get the whole picture is mind boggling. He could have gone down the wrong road many times. The Orchard family deserves to be proud of what he has become.

Great story.

SigmaUte
10-27-2014, 05:00 PM

Really good story, I had no idea. I'm even more of a fan of Nate now. We truly have some amazing players at the U.

Ma'ake
10-27-2014, 10:25 PM
Great, great story about Nate and how he got where he is now.

It's important to note that Nate's mother, Ana Fakanafua, didn't exactly abandon Nate. As a struggling single mom, she did what many, many Polynesians do, she gave a child away (for the child, and also for its new family).

There is no shame in doing this, and it's not uncommon for a couple struggling to conceive may get child brought another way. I wouldn't in any way shape or form think that Nate changing his last name to the foster family who cared for him reveals problems between his mom and him. It was just the most practical way forward, and Ana Fakanafua had great faith in the Orchards.

OrangeUte
10-28-2014, 09:28 AM
This is such an amazing and inspiring story that I shared it with each of my kids.

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-28-2014, 10:20 AM
I was really disappointed that this story had to come from the national media. There are tons of heart warming stories like this on EVERY football team across the country and they all deserved to be told. It's not like Nate is some obscure player outside the spotlight; he's been a factor on this team all four years he's been here. Him changing his last name provided the perfect opportunity for one of our local media members to put this story together, but I certainly never saw it. There have definitely been improvements in team coverage over the last couple of years, but there's so much more area for improvement. Hopefully the continued upward trajectory of the team inspires upward trajectory local reporting.

concerned
10-28-2014, 10:28 AM
I was really disappointed that this story had to come from the national media. There are tons of heart warming stories like this on EVERY football team across the country and they all deserved to be told. It's not like Nate is some obscure player outside the spotlight; he's been a factor on this team all four years he's been here. Him changing his last name provided the perfect opportunity for one of our local media members to put this story together, but I certainly never saw it. There have definitely been improvements in team coverage over the last couple of years, but there's so much more area for improvement. Hopefully the continued upward trajectory of the team inspires upward trajectory local reporting.

I would guess that the U pub relations dept fed this to the national media to get the national publicity, which is not to say local media could not have written the story at any time.

chrisrenrut
10-28-2014, 11:11 AM

There was this one from 2012. Italks mostly about his daughter that was adopted, but also mentions some of how he ended up with the Orchards.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/utes/54971729-89/nate-utah-lily-fakahafua.html.csp