PDA

View Full Version : The Utes play Duck Hunt: #5 Ducks migrate to #20 Utah

Pages : [1] 2

U-Ute
11-03-2014, 12:50 PM
This definitely a "strength on strength" game as the Ducks seem to have regained their offensive mojo, while the Utes defense has been stifling.

First question of the week: the status Gionni Paul.

I suspect we'll find out after practice this afternoon.

sancho
11-04-2014, 08:51 AM
I have seen only pieces of Oregon games this year. I saw the 2nd half against MSU, and they were amazing.

I think recently, a lot of their success stems from Royce Freeman. He's a really great, strong RB. But we have a good run defense. If we can stop Freeman, I think we can slow down the Ducks. That's my key to the game.

sancho
11-06-2014, 10:53 AM
Just a bump reminder that we do have a thread for this game. Someone say something. I got nothing.

U-Ute
11-06-2014, 11:25 AM
Just a bump reminder that we do have a thread for this game. Someone say something. I got nothing.

I don't know anything about Oregon's defense. I don't know how good they really are since the offense puts so much pressure on opposing offenses to keep up.

Are they man or zone mostly?

DrumNFeather
11-06-2014, 11:27 AM

I believe that we will win.

SoCalPat
11-06-2014, 11:38 AM
I stop listening to anyone who says it's key to keep Oregons offense off the field. Stanford had 3 drives of 5 minutes or longer that ended up in FGs and got boat raced. The same will happen to us if we're settling for FGs instead of TDs.

Oregon has 28 punts in 9 games, or about 3 per game. We need to force at least 7 (or have an ungodly positive TO margin) to have a shot.

mpfunk
11-06-2014, 11:59 AM
The reason the Utes have a chance in this game: Oregon offensive line is decimated and we have a great front 7.

The reason the Utes don't have a chance in this game: we are going to have to score more than 1 offensive TD to win this game.

I'm not optimistic that we can get a win in this one. Winning this game will require the Utes to get scores from defense and special teams.

sancho
11-06-2014, 12:01 PM
I stop listening to anyone who says it's key to keep Oregons offense off the field. Stanford had 3 drives of 5 minutes or longer that ended up in FGs and got boat raced. The same will happen to us if we're settling for FGs instead of TDs.

Oregon has 28 punts in 9 games, or about 3 per game. We need to force at least 7 (or have an ungodly positive TO margin) to have a shot.

I agree. It seems like a tall task for us. Mariotta is the best QB in college football. He has the best arm, the best legs, and the best decision making. It's not fair, really. But even the greats can be disrupted, make bad throws, or just have off nights.

I still say the key to getting those 7 punts is to stop Royce Freeman, especially on first down.

LA Ute
11-06-2014, 12:31 PM
I'm just going to be curious to see what the coaches come up with, and how well it is executed. I read elsewhere that Travis said on ESPN 700 (or on another SLC sports talk show) that he doesn't have the authority to change the play at the line of scrimmage -- he can change the protection scheme but not the actual play. I don't know what he said or if that's what he meant (he's not the most articulate Ute player I've ever heard) but it is weird if true. A little frightening too.

DrumNFeather
11-06-2014, 12:37 PM
I'm just going to be curious to see what the coaches come up with, and how well it is executed. I read elsewhere that Travis said on ESPN 700 (or on another SLC sports talk show) that he doesn't have the authority to change the play at the line of scrimmage -- he can change the protection scheme but not the actual play. I don't know what he said or if that's what he meant (he's not the most articulate Ute player I've ever heard) but it is weird if true. A little frightening too.

Is it though? I mean, based on what little we know of DC's personality...I think you could easily connect the dots that he would be a "run the play that is called" kind of guy.

UBlender
11-06-2014, 12:40 PM
I agree. It seems like a tall task for us. Mariotta is the best QB in college football. He has the best arm, the best legs, and the best decision making. It's not fair, really. But even the greats can be disrupted, make bad throws, or just have off nights.

I still say the key to getting those 7 punts is to stop Royce Freeman, especially on first down.

I heard Curtis Conway interviewed on ESPN700 yesterday. He said that Utah's front will need to shift from a pass rushing mentality to a run stopping mentality. I think this is true. A forgotten thing about the ASU game is that they gashed us with the run a little bit. Oregon has to be looking at that and thinking it is there for the taking.

If I'm Utah, I take my first series of each possession fairly methodically. I don't want any really fast 3&Outs. With each first down, I pick up the pace and try to make Oregon uncomfortable with the altitude. The "keep them off the field" game only works if you can finish long drives with TDs consistently, something Utah has not been able to do.

This is the game to let Travis show what he can do. If he fails Utah loses a game nobody expected them to win anyway. If he succeeds maybe you finally have a launching point for the offense (of course I said the same thing after USC when I thought the offense had finally turned a corner).

Diehard Ute
11-06-2014, 12:41 PM
Is it though? I mean, based on what little we know of DC's personality...I think you could easily connect the dots that he would be a "run the play that is called" kind of guy.

Frequently I've had to listen to games on the radio this year. A common thread has been how often protection adjustments aren't made correctly.

If the qb isn't making those do you let them change the entire play?

OrangeUte
11-06-2014, 12:42 PM

I agree. Punts will be a big statistic in this game.

Our linebackers will be put to the test by Freeman.

Sounds like Rowe is back for Saturday. Fantastic.

DrumNFeather
11-06-2014, 12:44 PM
Frequently I've had to listen to games on the radio this year. A common thread has been how often protection adjustments aren't made correctly.

If the qb isn't making those do you let them change the entire play?

Or at all...I mean how many free runners off the edge have we seen?

On the flip side of all of this, when you aren't giving one guy all the reps at QB, audibles probably aren't even a possibility.

Diehard Ute
11-06-2014, 12:46 PM
Or at all...I mean how many free runners off the edge have we seen?

On the flip side of all of this, when you aren't giving one guy all the reps at QB, audibles probably aren't even a possibility.

Don't know that the reps thing is an issue, those in the know say reps for the one and two QB are equal as they've been for some time.

I would think film work and the ability to take that to the game is more important than reps for that. That's what makes Alex the great QB he is. He can take what he leans in film sessions and translate it to the game.

LA Ute
11-06-2014, 12:52 PM

I admit I am no football mind but when a QB sees a blitz coming shouldn't he have the smarts and the freedom to audibilize a play?

Diehard Ute
11-06-2014, 12:55 PM
I admit I am no football mind but when a QB sees a blitz coming shouldn't he have the smarts and the freedom to audibilize a play?

Usually it would be to utilize the built in hot route. So far either the QB hasn't made that read, the WR hasn't run the right route or the line our back hasn't picked up the person they're supposed to long enough to get the ball to the hot route

sancho
11-06-2014, 01:00 PM
A forgotten thing about the ASU game is that they gashed us with the run a little bit. Oregon has to be looking at that and thinking it is there for the taking.

ASU ran out of an option, and that was new for us this year. From the little I've seen so far, Oregon has a more traditional run game.

The way ASU ran on us makes me worried about Arizona and all RichRod's dopey moves.

DrumNFeather
11-06-2014, 02:06 PM

I just listened to the interview...they asked him specifically if he could check from a run into a pass and he said no, the play that is called is what is called. He also just in general doesn't sound like a guy beaming with confidence...though maybe he never sounds like that.

Diehard Ute
11-06-2014, 02:17 PM
I just listened to the interview...they asked him specifically if he could check from a run into a pass and he said no, the play that is called is what is called. He also just in general doesn't sound like a guy beaming with confidence...though maybe he never sounds like that.

I can tell you Travis rarely sounds excited, down, confident etc. He's pretty even keeled and rarely shows any sort of emotion when speaking. No matter what the emotion may be.

OrangeUte
11-06-2014, 02:23 PM
he seems so boring in his interviews. not a lot of fire in his personality, I would assume.

he has big play potential, if we could just get him to play with some swagger I think he could be more consistently amazing.

I love watching travis run. I remember a huge block he threw in one of his first starts as a freshman. travis is talented.

Sullyute
11-06-2014, 02:24 PM

That is funny because that is the opposite of what Kendal Thompson said to 1320 (http://www.1320kfan.com/common/page.php?pt=Kendal+Thompson+On+Gunther+In+The+Afte rnoon&id=10511&is_corp=0) yesterday.

DrumNFeather
11-07-2014, 07:28 AM
Listened to an interview with the college football analytics expert for SB nation on the radio this morning. One of the hosts was mentioning that this weekend might be Oregon's slip up game and wanted to know what this expert thought. He basically said that it is definitely a tough spot for Oregon because Utah is built for upsets with our aggressive style of defense and if we can get the ducks into 3rd and long situations it will bode very well. He mentioned that he wasn't sure if the offense could score enough points to win but that Travis Wilson was a "volatile" player who has made big plays in big spots (last Saturday notwithstanding).

Always interesting to hear the perspective of the national guys. Hell, it's great to be involved in the discussion.

SoCalPat
11-07-2014, 08:40 AM

I don't mind running against a blitz because all Devontae needs is to make one guy miss and it's a huge gain. The question is, are you OK with one huge play in exchange for the 3 or 4 that go for a loss?

SoCalPat
11-07-2014, 08:42 AM
Listened to an interview with the college football analytics expert for SB nation on the radio this morning. One of the hosts was mentioning that this weekend might be Oregon's slip up game and wanted to know what this expert thought. He basically said that it is definitely a tough spot for Oregon because Utah is built for upsets with our aggressive style of defense and if we can get the ducks into 3rd and long situations it will bode very well. He mentioned that he wasn't sure if the offense could score enough points to win but that Travis Wilson was a "volatile" player who has made big plays in big spots (last Saturday notwithstanding).

Always interesting to hear the perspective of the national guys. Hell, it's great to be involved in the discussion.

My worry is that so much has been made about this being a slip-up game for Oregon, that they bring their A+++++ game. The entire league was put on notice last year -- Utah ain't an easy place to play.

But yeah, I like the matchups we have in this game. If we can field a competent offense, we'll be in the game late.

OrangeUte
11-07-2014, 08:52 AM
Oregon will be ready for us. They won't sleep. I think talk like that is stupid. I agree w socalpat. We have to beat them bringing tons of heat on defense and tons of heat on offense.

DrumNFeather
11-07-2014, 08:55 AM
Oregon will be ready for us. They won't sleep. I think talk like that is stupid. I agree w socalpat. We have to beat them bringing tons of heat on defense and tons of heat on offense.

Well, the reality is that really great teams don't have slip ups of any kind. The question is, is Oregon a really great team? They lost to Arizona at home earlier this season, and there is no way they didn't see the Cats coming. My hope is that they underestimate the environment at RES and that we can force them into an early mistake or two to capture the momentum.

OrangeUte
11-07-2014, 08:56 AM
Well, the reality is that really great teams don't have slip ups of any kind. The question is, is Oregon a really great team? They lost to Arizona at home earlier this season, and there is no way they didn't see the Cats coming. My hope is that they underestimate the environment at RES and that we can force them into an early mistake or two to capture the momentum.

Their defense is used to playing with tons of noise given all of the racket they make it home by yelling the letter O! If we match that when their offense is on the field, something they aren't used to, I wonder how they will respond to that kind of environment offensively.

concerned
11-07-2014, 09:22 AM

And playing Stanford last week was good preparation for us, given the similarity in the defenses.

OrangeUte
11-07-2014, 09:25 AM
And playing Stanford last week was good preparation for us, given the similarity in the defenses.

Good point. I feel like we have an opportunity for a huge win tomorrow.

DrumNFeather
11-07-2014, 09:49 AM
Interesting...

Stat to know: Oregon is 31-0 since the start of the 2012 season when it scores at least 30 points. Utah has held its last nine opponents, dating to last season, to fewer than 30 points, tied for the longest active streak in the FBS.

U-Ute
11-07-2014, 10:45 AM

I heard KT on the radio yesterday say that may of their plays have a run/pass option, and the QB checks to one or the other at the line.

I'm not sure if that counts as "changing plays". It's kind of halfway.

LA Ute
11-08-2014, 07:37 AM
I don't mind running against a blitz because all Devontae needs is to make one guy miss and it's a huge gain. The question is, are you OK with one huge play in exchange for the 3 or 4 that go for a loss?

Against ASU we saw that, but only a little. Once Booker got behind the blitzing ASU players he got 7-8 yards. But those plays were too few and far between. We were helpless against the blitz for too much of that game. I've got to think DC and the offensive coaches spent a good deal of time on that this week.

DrumNFeather
11-08-2014, 07:39 AM
Game Day! The long wait begins.

LA Ute
11-08-2014, 04:36 PM
http://dailyemerald.com/2014/11/07/why-utah-will-beat-oregon/

mpfunk
11-08-2014, 08:16 PM
I realize that I'm in the minority, but I think it is the right call to start Thompson.

DrumNFeather
11-08-2014, 08:19 PM
I realize that I'm in the minority, but I think it is the right call to start Thompson.
Hey, if you aren't gonna throw, it makes sense to go with the better runner!

mpfunk
11-08-2014, 08:20 PM
Great first drive. What did I say about starting Thompson and basically being an option team?

It isn't going to be pretty most of the time, but it gives us the best shot to win games. I don't want to see Wilson again this year. I feel bad for Wilson and think a lot of his failures are on poor QB coaching, but he is a failed QB at this point.

DrumNFeather
11-08-2014, 08:22 PM
Great first drive. What did I say about starting Thompson and basically being an option team?

It isn't going to be pretty most of the time, but it gives us the best shot to win games. I don't want to see Wilson again this year. I feel bad for Wilson and think a lot of his failures are on poor QB coaching, but he is a failed QB at this point.
Frankly I'm surprised we haven't used that Poole/Booker look this season.

mpfunk
11-08-2014, 08:23 PM
Damnit that is what you have to stop with Oregon. You have to stop the big plays. The Ducks aren't really a team that will drive on you. Pretty frustrating to see a big play that fast.

mpfunk
11-08-2014, 08:25 PM
Frankly I'm surprised we haven't used that Poole/Booker look this season.

I'm surprised as well. It should be our base offense going forward.

DrumNFeather
11-08-2014, 08:25 PM
I'm surprised as well. It should be our base offense going forward.
Totally agree. And, it will open some passing up.

mpfunk
11-08-2014, 08:26 PM
Great job by the defense stepping up. This defense really is great.

DrumNFeather
11-08-2014, 08:33 PM
Crap...

DrumNFeather
11-08-2014, 08:35 PM
Also, offensive PI? Come on...

mpfunk
11-08-2014, 08:43 PM
Free Brandon Cox.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

DrumNFeather
11-08-2014, 08:46 PM
Free Brandon Cox.

Wilson was limping a bit. We might just see him.

justaute
11-08-2014, 08:46 PM
KT appears to be done. :(

Applejack
11-08-2014, 08:48 PM
I LOVE this defense. Perhaps my favorite one of all-time - including 2008.

I'm not sure Wilson can bring this one home for us. Too bad, because Thompson looked good.

mpfunk
11-08-2014, 08:48 PM
KT appears to be done. :(

Yep that is looking like the case.

DrumNFeather
11-08-2014, 08:51 PM
Moron

mpfunk
What in the ever loving fuck Clay. Way to destroy any shot we had.

justaute
Holy sh!t Kalin!

Snowman
Clay you are fucking moron. Fuck you.

LA Ute
11-08-2014, 08:52 PM
Oh my gosh did he really do that???

LA Ute
11-08-2014, 08:52 PM
Idiot.

LA Ute
11-08-2014, 08:53 PM
This is not Pop Warner. Showboating doofus.

mpfunk
11-08-2014, 08:54 PM
Clay way to make the dumbest play in Utah history.

AnestheUte
11-08-2014, 08:54 PM
Wow, unbelievable. Can we recover from that?

LA Ute
11-08-2014, 08:57 PM
Well we have 3 quarters to make up for that. Nothing like spotting the #4 team 7 points. A 14-point turnaround.

LA Ute
11-08-2014, 08:57 PM
I hope we can recover from the momentum loss. Everything was going so beautifully. Come on guys.

mpfunk
11-08-2014, 08:59 PM
We could have won this game. Now I'll be surprised if we keep it within 20

justaute
11-08-2014, 09:00 PM
With Wilson, play-calling has changed.

AnestheUte
11-08-2014, 09:00 PM
I hope that Clay is the story of the game... as a redemption story. Let's get some positive energy going here.

DrumNFeather
11-08-2014, 09:01 PM
I hope we can recover from the momentum loss. Everything was going so beautifully. Come on guys.
Kyle should've pulled a Leach and huddled the team. The confidence is gone, and the wind is completely out of our sails.

midnight shift
11-08-2014, 09:03 PM
Great start by the Utes, now they are making way too many mistakes. Hopefully Utah can regroup. Lots of things to overcome right now.

justaute
11-08-2014, 09:03 PM
With Wilson at the helm, our offense becomes so one dimensional. And, unfortunately, he can't seem to make the easy throws consistently. Sure, Wilson will give you a bomb once in a while, but that's not sufficient.

mpfunk
11-08-2014, 09:04 PM
Free Brandon Cox.

Mormon Red Death
11-08-2014, 09:05 PM
Finally complete a pass over the middle and we get that

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

LA Ute
Wow. What a self-destruct.

OrangeUte
Wow. I can't believe this. Just caught up to live action.

OrangeUte
11-08-2014, 09:06 PM
Crap.

AnestheUte
11-08-2014, 09:09 PM
So who is gonna replace Travis when we get another 3 and out? Is it Cox? Could we possibly do any worse keeping Travis in?

justaute
11-08-2014, 09:10 PM
Dive to Booker, counter to Booker, then incomplete by Wilson.

Please do something different.

LA Ute
I'm not one to give up early but we are toast. An underdog can't make the biggest, most costly mistake of the season (if not the decade or even the century) against one of the best teams in the USA and expect to recover.

OrangeUte
So who is gonna replace Travis when we get another 3 and out? Is it Cox? Could we possibly do any worse keeping Travis in?

Remember. Travis almost had a huge td pass. A beautiful pass. Dropped at the goal line. I'm not giving up on Travis Wilson right now.

justaute
11-08-2014, 09:15 PM
That's the problem.

OrangeUte
11-08-2014, 09:15 PM
Come on defense.

DrumNFeather
11-08-2014, 09:16 PM
That just isn't an effective play call for the circumstances.

AnestheUte
11-08-2014, 09:17 PM
At this point this is going to have to be the game I don't watch the whole way through. At this pace, without any change in play-calling, we will be buried by mid 3rd quarter (perhaps sooner). As an east-coaster, my sleep is more valuable than getting really mad... They've got until half-time to change my mind.

OrangeUte
11-08-2014, 09:18 PM
Turnover!

justaute
11-08-2014, 09:18 PM
And, the way UO runs offense, I don't care how good our D is, we'll get tired.

LA Ute
11-08-2014, 09:20 PM
We could use a TO. But I am afraid the boat race is about to begin.

Mormon Red Death
11-08-2014, 09:20 PM
Game over

DrumNFeather
11-08-2014, 09:21 PM
A slant...not in DC's playbook

mpfunk
11-08-2014, 09:21 PM
We could use a TO. But I am afraid the boat race is about to begin.

Final prediction. 45-10.

AnestheUte
11-08-2014, 09:23 PM
Final prediction. 45-10.

This... sadly.

Whole different ballgame is Kaelin keeps the effing ball for 1 more yard... smh

LA Ute
11-08-2014, 09:26 PM
My son reminds me that now is the time when we older Ute fans rely on our calloused nether regions to get us through. Thompson having a great game, gets hurt. Our best WR literally gives away our TD and simultaneously gives one to Oregon. It's over.

Mormon Red Death
11-08-2014, 09:27 PM
The only utah fan who like that clay play
Is Lance Rice because he no longer has the dumbest play in utah football history.

LA Ute
Great. Now 28-7 by halftime. We finally get aggressive and it blows up.

mpfunk
I revise my prediction. 63-7

DrumNFeather
11-08-2014, 09:28 PM
Sorry Todd, Dargan had nothing to do with that. Hatfield hesitated.

mpfunk
Free Brandon Cox.

Snowman
I don't care what people say. Travis. Sorry offense. We would have lost anyway. Etc. Etc. Not carrying the ball into the end zone is the most horrible, pathetic, despicable, unforgivable play in football. That single play is worse than the back to back TCU Notre Dame blow outs. Worse than 4th and 17. Worse than cashing in on our tradition. It's the worse moment in Utah football history. Winning the game wouldn't make up for it. It's the lowest garbage there is. I hope he reads this.

LA Ute
11-08-2014, 09:29 PM
What's with a fake punt on our own 25?

DrumNFeather
11-08-2014, 09:30 PM
Trying to out Oregon, Oregon.

Mormon Red Death
11-08-2014, 09:31 PM

He would have had a chance if you would have just ran for the corner

LA Ute
I don't care what people say. Travis. Sorry offense. We would have lost anyway. Etc. Etc. Not carrying the ball into the end zone is the most horrible, pathetic, despicable, unforgivable play in football. That single play is worse than the back to back TCU Notre Dame blow outs. Worse than 4th and 17. Worse than cashing in on our tradition. It's the worse moment in Utah football history. Winning the game wouldn't make up for it. It's the lowest garbage there is. I hope he reads this.

I know we're all upset and saying things we might not say later. But still I think you are 100% right. Unforgivable, inexcusable.

DrumNFeather
Free Brandon Cox.

QB doesn't matter when our guys drop passes that hit them in the chest.

justaute
Utah defensive player should just beat the sh!t out of the Utah offensive players and coaches for being incompetent. With even an average offense, Utah would be meaningfully better.

mpfunk
11-08-2014, 09:32 PM

Our passing game is pathetic no matter what. Play someone who can run the ball effectively.

justaute
11-08-2014, 09:32 PM
Agreed. Though, some semblance of competent QB-play would at least pose some threat.

LA Ute
11-08-2014, 09:34 PM
Hey, remember, basketball season is coming. Travis is even trying bounce passes.

DrumNFeather
11-08-2014, 09:36 PM
Hey, remember, basketball season is coming. Travis is even trying bounce passes.
Don't make me delete your posts!

Mormon Red Death
11-08-2014, 09:37 PM
Is Tonga not on the team anymore?

justaute
11-08-2014, 09:37 PM
About time to get Booker out in space.

LA Ute
11-08-2014, 09:39 PM
For a great back, Booker sure has butterfingers.

Mormon Red Death
11-08-2014, 09:39 PM
Why not review it?

LA Ute
11-08-2014, 09:40 PM
Some day Travis will get the fade pass right.

LA Ute
11-08-2014, 09:40 PM
Ah, yes, stopped in the red zone when it is critical to score.

LA Ute
11-08-2014, 09:41 PM
24-14 would be an awful lot better. Ugh.

DrumNFeather
11-08-2014, 09:44 PM
24-14 would be an awful lot better. Ugh.
Still end on a positive note, moving the ball down the field...if we can get some first quarter play out of the D, we can still make some noise here.

justaute
11-08-2014, 09:47 PM
Danny Trevathan (Broncos), meet Kalin Clay of Utah.

http://youtu.be/ASe0lencljA?t=13s

LA Ute
11-08-2014, 09:51 PM
I hope Kyle has a great halftime speech and that Sitake and Christensen have some great ideas.

mpfunk
11-08-2014, 09:52 PM
I hope Kyle has a great halftime speech and that Sitake and Christensen have some great ideas.

I hope those ideas involve Brandon Cox.

LA Ute
11-08-2014, 09:55 PM
Isn't Clay the guy who did the Heisman pose in the end zone against Michigan? Maybe he has now learned take care of business instead of trying to be cool.

Snowman
11-08-2014, 09:56 PM
I don't get the Travis hate.

He threw the best pass since we had Alex.

AnestheUte
11-08-2014, 09:56 PM
I hope those ideas involve Brandon Cox.

I dunno 'bout that, did you see Travis on that last drive?

/sarcasm

mpfunk
11-08-2014, 09:58 PM
By the way, I like Travis Wilson. His struggles are almost all on the coaches. They have destroyed him. Going to Utah was a horrible decision. I don't know why any QB would choose Utah.

Snowman
11-08-2014, 09:58 PM
Isn't Clay the guy who did the Heisman pose in the end zone against Michigan? Maybe he has now learned take care of business instead of trying to be cool.

Kyle should have sent him straight to the locker room. I don't care if he's Devin Hester.

Snowman
11-08-2014, 10:00 PM
By the way, I like Travis Wilson. His struggles are almost all on the coaches. They have destroyed him. Going to Utah was a horrible decision. I don't know why any QB would choose Utah.

Maybe he heard that Alex was the number one overall pick.

mpfunk
11-08-2014, 10:03 PM
What I want to see. Cox at QB with a base offense with booker and Poole in the backfield.

mpfunk
11-08-2014, 10:04 PM
Well shit. Utah reporting that they are going to make no effort to win the game and ate sticking with Wilson.

Snowman
11-08-2014, 10:06 PM
Way to go Blechan and Orchard!

LA Ute
11-08-2014, 10:07 PM
GREAT TO! Now stop with the bounce passes, Travis.

LA Ute
11-08-2014, 10:09 PM
We have to score a TD here to keep hope alive.

DrumNFeather
11-08-2014, 10:09 PM
Funk, you would've loved the Kirk Cousins movement here in D.C.

mpfunk
11-08-2014, 10:10 PM
Roll out Wilson equals 2 outcomes: 1) throw ball away; 2) bounce pass.

midnight shift
11-08-2014, 10:10 PM
Need to make that pass. Receivers have one on one matchups but Travis can't make the throws.

LA Ute
11-08-2014, 10:11 PM
Tim Patrick season over. Sheesh. What a night. Can Cox play receiver?

justaute
11-08-2014, 10:15 PM
Utah's offensive administration is just sad.

LA Ute
11-08-2014, 10:15 PM
Boy, are we pathetic in the red zone tonight. The D gift-wraps that possession for the O and they can't capitalize. Travis tries another bounce pass along the way.

AnestheUte
11-08-2014, 10:16 PM
We get a gift of a turnover, and can only get 3 points. Is this game payback for all the good luck we've had at the end of games this season (UCLA, USC, OSU...)?

LA Ute
11-08-2014, 10:17 PM
Blechen should've taken the fumble to the house. Can't trust the O.

LA Ute
11-08-2014, 10:19 PM
We were doing so well against their run game.

LA Ute
11-08-2014, 10:20 PM
We are really just out manned.

LA Ute
11-08-2014, 10:22 PM
Can't we review that? Guess not.

justaute
11-08-2014, 10:22 PM
Mariota is saying to himself....thank goodness I didn't go to Utah; otherwise, I wouldn't play until I'm junior and would likely be mis-used given Utah's offensive "prowess".

LA Ute
11-08-2014, 10:26 PM
I think we had a chance in this game. A long shot, but we had to play a relatively error-free game. Oops.

mpfunk
11-08-2014, 10:28 PM
Nice pass Wilson. Can we please see Cox now.

midnight shift
11-08-2014, 10:29 PM
At what point do we see Cox or Manning?

DrumNFeather
Alright Travis haters, I'll give you that play.

LA Ute
Well, we couldn't expect TW to go all season without a pick. But that was a pretty bad place to have one. Let the boat race begin.

justaute
11-08-2014, 10:31 PM
Ha...no luck there. Either the coaches can't coach or just recruited wrong players.

At what point do we see Cox or Manning?

LA Ute
11-08-2014, 10:31 PM
We won't see Cox, funk, unless TW gets hurt. Meanwhile our D looks dispirited now.

mpfunk
11-08-2014, 10:32 PM
Look the season is over and we are playing with house money. We aren't going to win the division or even in the top 1/2. The coaches have saved their jobs and any wins now are bonus. I short, play for improving next year. Their is no reason unless Cox is injured or the Utes are winning big to give another snap to Wilson.

He has failed, everyone knows it.

LA Ute
11-08-2014, 10:32 PM
OK, offense. At least give the D a rest.

Mormon Red Death
11-08-2014, 10:34 PM
With Kendall we run two backs, counters and qb runs with traviss its the Same formation as always? Wtf Christensen?

LA Ute
11-08-2014, 10:34 PM
Booker in space! Great concept.

Mormon Red Death
11-08-2014, 10:37 PM
Over under on how many swing plays for the rest of the game?

LA Ute
11-08-2014, 10:37 PM
If toughness and heart were all a QB needed Travis would be an All-American. Sadly more is needed.

Way to go, Booker.

midnight shift
11-08-2014, 10:38 PM
Wow! How are we down by only one touchdown?

DrumNFeather
11-08-2014, 10:38 PM

Hey, it beat Stanford last year.

DrumNFeather
11-08-2014, 10:39 PM
Despite the hand wringing, we are a good team.

mpfunk
11-08-2014, 10:40 PM

Over under on the number that are horrible passes. Thank God Booker caught both of those awfully thrown balls.

midnight shift
11-08-2014, 10:48 PM

I know. It just seems seems we were on the verge of getting blown out but the team has held tough. This team has a lot of heart and grit.

LA Ute
11-08-2014, 10:49 PM

I really don't know how they do it.

justaute
11-08-2014, 10:49 PM
Agreed. I just wish things are different on the offensive side -- it has been a long time since we had a decent offense.

justaute
11-08-2014, 10:53 PM
To TW's credit, his long-ball has been terrific.

LA Ute
11-08-2014, 10:54 PM
Wow

Mormon Red Death
He is still on the team!

DrumNFeather
That and the TD pass were on the money

Snowman
11-08-2014, 10:55 PM
3 points. I'm stunned.

AnestheUte
11-08-2014, 10:55 PM
What is going on? Open up the playbook and look at what we can accomplish. At the very least we are making a game of this, who knows how it turns out now... :)

OrangeUte
11-08-2014, 10:56 PM
Glad we didn't give up on Travis. Excellent drive. Happy for kaelin clay.

justaute
11-08-2014, 10:57 PM
Oh...I'm also grateful for Booker's catching ability. Lemon, meet Lemonade.

OrangeUte

A lot of his game today has been solid.

AnestheUte
Glad we didn't give up on Travis. Excellent drive. Happy for kaelin clay.

Yep, nice catch by Kaelin. Did you notice his two-armed death grip on the ball as he went down?

OrangeUte
11-08-2014, 10:58 PM
Yep, nice catch by Kaelin. Did you notice his two-armed death grip on the ball as he went down?

For dear life!

OrangeUte
11-08-2014, 11:00 PM
Freeman is a beast.

LA Ute
11-08-2014, 11:00 PM
D needs to watch those edges.

OrangeUte
11-08-2014, 11:01 PM
Would have loved that fumble to have gone our way.

Mormon Red Death
11-08-2014, 11:01 PM
Put Lotuleilei directly over center

OrangeUte
11-08-2014, 11:04 PM
Ugh!

LA Ute
11-08-2014, 11:05 PM
We are rushing 3 now. I wonder why?

LA Ute
11-08-2014, 11:06 PM
Now we have to score a TD again. ON THIS DRIVE.

LA Ute
11-08-2014, 11:08 PM
We can't match their speed. But it ain't over yet.

mpfunk
11-08-2014, 11:10 PM
Where in the he'll was this play calling against ASU?

AnestheUte
11-08-2014, 11:13 PM
Where in the he'll was this play calling against ASU?

Yep, with this play calling we would have won that game in regulation. Why did we need dire circumstances to open up the playbook and be more creative?

LA Ute
11-08-2014, 11:13 PM
Still no quit in these guys. A stop here and we still have a chance.

OrangeUte
11-08-2014, 11:15 PM
Coverage problems there.

OrangeUte
11-08-2014, 11:16 PM
Marriota is showing why he's the heisman front runner.

justaute
11-08-2014, 11:17 PM
Absolutely. Those are terrific throws -- and on the run.

Marriota is showing why he's the heisman front runner.

OrangeUte
Absolutely. Those are terrific throws -- and on the run.

While completely exhausted.

Snowman
Honestly, I can't wait until this game is over.

Is Stanford another midnight special?

OrangeUte
11-08-2014, 11:18 PM

3pm pacific time.

DrumNFeather
11-08-2014, 11:18 PM

6 pm, Eastern

LA Ute
11-08-2014, 11:19 PM
Oh well. Not looking like a stop is happening.

mpfunk
11-08-2014, 11:20 PM
Utah is a good team, but Oregon is much better. Our defense proved once again that they are a championship defense. They were awesome in this game against an amazing offense. Our offense again proved that they are FCS caliber at best.

LA Ute
11-08-2014, 11:21 PM
I guess their receivers are always so open now because our D is tired.

LA Ute
11-08-2014, 11:23 PM
Sigh. I wish we'd kept the score more respectable.

OrangeUte
11-08-2014, 11:24 PM
Wow. Lots to talk about with this game. Does this knock us out of top 25?

DrumNFeather
11-08-2014, 11:26 PM
Sigh. I wish we'd kept the score more respectable.
Meh, everyone knows the Ducks were in a fight tonight. It went about how people predicted...tough game with Oregon pulling away late.

Also, this was a body bag game for both teams. Sheesh.

LA Ute
11-08-2014, 11:26 PM
Now Oregon is my favorite for the NC.

Funk, our O is not FCS, but it is wildly inconsistent and unreliable.

Solon
11-08-2014, 11:27 PM
Utah is a good team, but Oregon is much better. Our defense proved once again that they are a championship defense. They were awesome in this game against an amazing offense. Our offense again proved that they are FCS caliber at best.

I don't feel too bad about losing this game. Oregon is clearly the better team.
The offense is improved. The defense is great. The team fights hard.
What's not to like?

LA Ute
11-08-2014, 11:28 PM

Probably not but I think we will drop.

LA Ute
11-08-2014, 11:29 PM
What's not to like?

I think we win 9 games. Holiday Bowl, baby!

Mormon Red Death
Well if not for the dumbest play in utah football history we'd be down 3 with 4&a half minutes left. Oh well

OrangeUte
What's not to like?

My thoughts to a T.

OrangeUte
11-08-2014, 11:31 PM
Ugh! Now it's going to look like a blowout.

OrangeUte
That's too bad.

mpfunk
Free Brandon Cox,

justaute
I hope we drop. The evil side of me wants a dumpster fire on Utah so more can be done about the offense. I even thought about maybe the good WRs and QBs don't sign with Utah...apparently on the offensive side, coaches are quite obtuse. :)

Probably not but I think we will drop.

DrumNFeather
11-08-2014, 11:33 PM
Free Brandon Cox,

Welcome back to the thread. We missed you when the offense was playing well.

LA Ute
11-08-2014, 11:34 PM
Hmmm. Travis needs to not float that pass. Got kind of ugly there at the end, didn't it? That's the second TD we've pretty much given them. In fact, he last two TDs did not need to happen.

Snowman
11-08-2014, 11:34 PM

Yes. Especially since this is in our house.

Well, now it's 50. We're gonna need some serious therapy not to carry this loss over to next week.

Solon
11-08-2014, 11:37 PM
Yes. Especially since this is in our house.

Well, now it's 50. We're gonna need some serious therapy not to carry this loss over to next week.
I think the Utes will wreck Stanford. It'll feel nice not to be going against a top-10 team.

LA Ute
11-08-2014, 11:37 PM
I take back my prediction that we won't fall out of the top 25. We needed not to get blown out. We let that happen in the final 8 minutes of the game. I'm tempted to say the Utes quit. Disappointing.

mpfunk
11-08-2014, 11:38 PM
I think the Utes will wreck Stanford. It'll feel nice not to be going against a top-10 team.

Utah is a much better team than Stanford, but with this offense I'm not confident with any game Utah plays this year.

Snowman
11-08-2014, 11:39 PM
Well if not for the dumbest play in utah football history we'd be down 3 with 4&a half minutes left. Oh well

I'll remember that play a lot longer than any loss.

LA Ute
11-08-2014, 11:39 PM
Classy move by Oregon to let the clock run out.

DrumNFeather
11-08-2014, 11:40 PM
I take back my prediction that we won't fall out of the top 25. We needed not to get blown out. We let that happen in the final 8 minutes of the game. I'm tempted to say the Utes quit. Disappointing.
6 teams in the top 25 got blown out, so we're in good company.

I don't think they quit...Oregon was pretty motivated to get some style points.

LA Ute
11-08-2014, 11:41 PM
I really have no confidence in Travis any longer. I still think we can win out in spite of him.

Solon
11-08-2014, 11:44 PM
I'll remember that play a lot longer than any loss.
Losing KT was a bad blow too. He had some mojo working.
i think we'll be just fine with Wilson.

sancho
11-08-2014, 11:48 PM
Clay way to make the dumbest play in Utah history.

I think there's a decent chance that was the dumbest play in football history.

Snowman
11-08-2014, 11:52 PM
That play showed a profound lack of character and that reflects back on Kyle. And we all saw what he did about it. Nothing.

DrumNFeather
11-08-2014, 11:54 PM
I think there's a decent chance that was the dumbest play in football history.
ESPN pointed out that Clay and Desean Jackson, who had a similar play while with the Eagles, went to the same high school.

OrangeUte
11-08-2014, 11:55 PM
That play showed a profound lack of character and that reflects back on Kyle. And we all saw what he did about it. Nothing.

What should he have done? Humiliate Clay? Bench him when we are thin at WR?

I have no idea what criticism you can have there.

USS Utah
11-08-2014, 11:59 PM
I really have no confidence in Travis any longer. I still think we can win out in spite of him.

Say what?! I know he threw two picks, but he actually played a heck of a game tonight.

OrangeUte
11-09-2014, 12:01 AM
4 turnovers is a huge part of this game.

USS Utah
11-09-2014, 12:01 AM

Have him run gassers or whatever on Monday.

OrangeUte
11-09-2014, 12:02 AM
Have him run gassers or whatever on Monday.

There you go.

I agree with you on Travis. I felt Travis played a good game.

KScott is defending Travis right now. Says he has a dog in him that wants to fight.

Snowman
11-09-2014, 12:04 AM

Clay humiliated US. Yes, he definitely should have been benched. That was an insult to our tradition. I was never more disgusted with a Ute. That was bigger than the game.

OrangeUte
11-09-2014, 12:05 AM
Clay humiliated US. Yes, he definitely should have been benched. That was an insult to our tradition. I was never more disgusted with a Ute. That was bigger than the game.

And that would have inspired the team?

I'm glad you're not coaching.

USS Utah
11-09-2014, 12:09 AM
There you go.

I agree with you on Travis. I felt Travis played a good game.

KScott is defending Travis right now. Says he has a dog in him that wants to fight.

Anyone criticizing Wilson for tonight's game -- even with the picks -- should have their head examined.

He passed for 297 yards with 18 completions on 28 attempts and two TDs -- should have been three.

Snowman
11-09-2014, 12:09 AM
If you can't hold on to it until you're in the back of the end zone and then hand it off to the ref go play for Miami.

UtahsMrSports
11-09-2014, 12:10 AM
Give mariotta the heisman now.

sancho
11-09-2014, 12:13 AM
Well, Oregon is in a class of their own in the conference this year. Nothing went our way tonight. The horrible play. The injured starters. The doink field goal. But we likely weren't going to win this game anyway. Our defense, good as it is, could not stop Oregon from moving the ball. We did some "bend, not break" for a little while, but it was clear that Oregon could move downfield without trouble.

Other thoughts:

Pat said we needed to force 7 punts to win. We forced 1. Oregon's first drive of the game. That's it.

How horrible is it to game plan for KT all week and lose him on the 2nd drive of the game? That just has to be deflating.

TW made some of the best throws of his career tonight...and plenty of bad ones too. His two deep balls to Clay were perfect, and his TD to Tonga was amazing. His short throws to Booker on swing passes were awful.

After the first quarter, we really struggled to get pressure on Mariota.

Royce Freeman is impressive.

We are in serious trouble at the WR position. Who are we supposed to trot out there now? It's not like Patrick has done much this year, but he clearly beat out the others for that starting job.

Cox/Manning better be working hard this week. We have benched TW twice so far this year.

sancho
11-09-2014, 12:17 AM
Cox/Manning better be working hard this week. We have benched TW twice so far this year.

Whitt says they'll have to decide between Cox/Manning this week for the backup job.

USS Utah
11-09-2014, 12:19 AM
Absolute boneheaded play aside, Clay did have 5 catches for 152 yards and gave Utah a deep threat. Just sayin'.

sancho
11-09-2014, 12:21 AM
If you put all the head coaches across the nation in a large cage fight, Mark Herzlich would be the first to start biting and pulling hair. Right before becoming the first to die.

Snowman
11-09-2014, 12:22 AM
Absolute boneheaded play aside, Clay did have 5 catches for 152 yards and gave Utah a deep threat. Just sayin'.

Let's see what we remember ten years from now. Just sayin'.

USS Utah
11-09-2014, 12:26 AM
Let's see what we remember ten years from now. Just sayin'.

Hopefully I am remembering the winning TD catch against USC.

OrangeUte
11-09-2014, 12:28 AM
Kyle on kaelin. "Happened earlier in the season on a few different occasions. Thought we had taken care of that."

I wonder what is going on in Clay's head that leads to this as a problem.

justaute
11-09-2014, 12:35 AM
Do people only judge a game/player by stats? Yes, TW's long-balls, plus that TD pass, were terrific tonight. What about other facets of his game? What if Booker didn't catch those ankle-level pass and one-hand-behind-the-body pass? Of course not all are on TW's shoulders as our WRs often don't help much.. DC's play-callings have not been impressive. Is that because we don't have the players? Is that because the coaches can't coach-up the players? Is that because coaches are not able to identify players with potential? Why is WSU's redshirt freshman QB can throw 470+ yards? Why is Arizona's redshirt freshman QB can tear it up? Yards are not everything, but we need enough of them.

There are so many questions and much observation I have. In the end, our offense has not been good in a long time. You are what you record says you are; and, I would add, over time, you are what those data-points, or trend, say you are. If the team(s) consistently under-perform -- Utah offense in this case -- what does that say about the team's administration?

LA Ute
11-09-2014, 12:38 AM
Say what?! I know he threw two picks, but he actually played a heck of a game tonight.

You never know which Travis will show up on which down: The one who throws a beautiful long ball to Clay or the one who throws bounce passes to open receivers. But yes, I'll grant that he did give us a chance to win tonight. Again, if toughness and grit alone made champion QBs, Travis would be top-notch.

USS Utah
11-09-2014, 12:40 AM
The play calling was better tonight -- at least, I don't recall seeing those passes to the RB before tonight except, perhaps, that one to Poole against Michigan.

WSU has a very different offensive philosophy with that air raid thing they do.

Utah's record is 6-3.

USS Utah
11-09-2014, 12:41 AM
You never know which Travis will show up on which down: The one who throws a beautiful long ball to Clay or the one who throws bounce passes to open receivers. But yes, I'll grant that he did give us a chance to win tonight. Again, if toughness and grit alone made champion QBs, Travis would be top-notch.

It's probably better to judge his game as a whole rather than just individual plays here and there.

LA Ute
11-09-2014, 12:41 AM
Hopefully I am remembering the winning TD catch against USC.

I agree. It was an inexcusable mistake but he has 3 important games left in which he can bury it with great plays. The mistake may end up being very important to him. After a sleepless night thinking about it and being reminded of it over and over, maybe his tendency to showboat will be burned out of him.

justaute
11-09-2014, 12:46 AM
Yes, I understand those points. As an ex-college coach, I tend to look at a lot of details. Philosophy or not, there are certain fundamentals that need to be addressed -- of course, I think those are pretty obvious, as well. Whether they will be, who knows. Some people learn faster than others. Some don't learn at all. Some just don't have the cognitive capacity to digest information.

One of the praises that people often showered Mariotta with is his ability to quickly acquire information, digest it, and then make a decision.

The play calling was better tonight -- at least, I don't recall seeing those passes to the RB before tonight except, perhaps, that one to Poole against Michigan.

WSU has a very different offensive philosophy with that air raid thing they do.

Utah's record is 6-3.

justaute
11-09-2014, 12:49 AM
FWIW...this is what Clay tweeted. Although that was one of the most boneheaded plays in the history of football, I'm hopeful he will right the ship and learn from it. That play will be remembered for a long time. Recognize it, digest it, and change it.

"I TAKE FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR THIS GAME BY MY SELFISH ACTIONS...I'll take this one"

Snowman
11-09-2014, 06:20 AM
I'm touched.

LA Ute
11-09-2014, 06:57 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmo51Z6ZMtM

LA Ute
11-09-2014, 07:05 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rmo6Ej__00I&list=PLh3NNe3cO5UDg5KaqcFuz50-m5wngHM2z%3Fwmode%3Dopaque

Snowman
11-09-2014, 07:53 AM
Seeing those remarks from Clay and the look on his face makes me even more disgusted. I don't like the way he said "I don't care" even though that's out of context. I don't like that he said he forgot about it for awhile. It's partly what he said and partly how he said it. You can tell he's not sorry. The other players were more upset about it than he was.

sancho
11-09-2014, 08:20 AM
Seeing those remarks from Clay and the look on his face makes me even more disgusted. I don't like the way he said "I don't care" even though that's out of context. I don't like that he said he forgot about it for awhile. It's partly what he said and partly how he said it. You can tell he's not sorry. The other players were more upset about it than he was.

Yup. It's clear now that he did it on purpose. He'd do it again if he had the chance.

Come on. It's the worst blunder I've ever seen in football, but it's over. The better team won, we lost two starters to injury, and we are going to have to figure out how to close the season with a qb we don't want to be playing and a complete lack of wrs.

Snowman
11-09-2014, 08:45 AM
This goes beyond winning and losing.

justaute
11-09-2014, 10:50 AM
Unfortunately, a significant number of people don't have the capacity to understand that.

This goes beyond winning and losing.

U-Ute
11-09-2014, 12:26 PM
One interesting thing that probably didn't show up on TV: at least a dozen times throughout the game I noticed Blechen taking off right before the snap and running to a spot which ended up being right where the ball was going.

Solon
11-09-2014, 12:29 PM
Yup. It's clear now that he did it on purpose. He'd do it again if he had the chance.

Come on. It's the worst blunder I've ever seen in football, but it's over. The better team won, we lost two starters to injury, and we are going to have to figure out how to close the season with a qb we don't want to be playing and a complete lack of wrs.

We already know the answer to this: it's Booker-time!

The over-reactions here are sobering. So Clay made a mistake. It definitely impacted the game, but Oregon was clearly the better team & won by enough points to make his mistake a footnote to the contest.

The suggestion that this mistake betrays some character flaw or that it deserves harsh punishment is misguided. National humiliation is punishment enough for the poor kid. He's a college kid who made a dumb mistake on a big stage. As dumb college-age mistakes go, this one was pretty benign.

I think the Utes will get back to basics & will welcome a chance to match up with Stanford. This team is tenacious & resilient. It will be ready for the cardinal.