PDA

View Full Version : Flattening the forest: The Utes take on the trees of Stanford, 2014

LA Ute
11-09-2014, 02:42 PM
Have at it. I think our team is good and that we can beat Stanford by a couple of touchdowns.

NorthwestUteFan
11-09-2014, 04:59 PM
We are playing a team one of the best defenses in college football, and the only offense less effective than our own. Sounds like a fun game!

sancho
11-09-2014, 05:11 PM
Have at it. I think our team is good and that we can beat Stanford by a couple of touchdowns.

Stanford is a heavy favorite - 8 points. It's hard for me to disagree. We have lost our starting QB and 2 of our 3 starting WRs. We are on the road. Stanford is coming off a bye and is motivated by revenge.

How do we score enough in this game to win by multiple touchdowns? A one-dimensional offense should have a tough time against the Cards. Stanford has lost 4 games. Two of those were by 3 points each, and those were to teams as good as we are on defense and better than we are on offense (USC and Notre Dame). ASU and Oregon - the two best offensive teams in the conference - are the only two teams to reach 20 points vs Stanford.

Old Standing ute
11-09-2014, 05:19 PM
Stanford is a heavy favorite - 8 points. It's hard for me to disagree. We have lost our starting QB and 2 of our 3 starting WRs. We are on the road. Stanford is coming off a bye and is motivated by revenge.

How do we score enough in this game to win by multiple touchdowns? A one-dimensional offense should have a tough time against the Cards. Stanford has lost 4 games. Two of those were by 3 points each, and those were to teams as good as we are on defense and better than we are on offense (USC and Notre Dame). ASU and Oregon - the two best offensive teams in the conference - are the only two teams to reach 20 points vs Stanford.

Sounds like a 6-3 thriller.

LA Ute
11-09-2014, 06:23 PM

I'm assuming, very optimistically, that we will see the same O against 'furd that we saw against Oregon.

NorthwestUteFan
11-09-2014, 06:55 PM
Calling my shot. Utah by 5. Utah 8, Stanford 3. Andy Phillips has two Field goals and Nate Orchard gets a Safety.

Solon
11-09-2014, 07:22 PM
Calling my shot. Utah by 5. Utah 8, Stanford 3. Andy Phillips has two Field goals and Nate Orchard gets a Safety.

LOL.
Every time I think, "The team can't bounce back from this", they do. This team is really resilient.

I'm on Jarid's bandwagon. The Utes are going to run the ball, play tenacious defense, win field-position battles, and scrape out a tough win.
Norris is due for a monster game.

hostile
11-09-2014, 07:41 PM
LOL.
Every time I think, "The team can't bounce back from this", they do. This team is really resilient.

I'm on Jarid's bandwagon. The Utes are going to run the ball, play tenacious defense, win field-position battles, and scrape out a tough win.
Norris is due for a monster game.

i hope so. We are taking the kids for the game this weekend. Would be nice to come home with a win.

LA Ute
11-09-2014, 09:37 PM
i hope so. We are taking the kids for the game this weekend. Would be nice to come home with a win.

Since the game is at 3:00 pm Pacific we are toying with going up for the game. It would be a day trip.

Brian
11-09-2014, 09:51 PM
Perfect game for utah. field position will be key. and they excel at this.

concerned
11-10-2014, 08:27 AM
Threat of letdown would seem to be very great this week. Hard to get up 4 or 5 weeks in a row, especially on the road. this game will be a testament to coaching.

Applejack
11-10-2014, 08:32 AM
Threat of letdown would seem to be very great this week. Hard to get up 4 or 5 weeks in a row, especially on the road. this game will be a testament to coaching.

Against a team who has had two weeks to prepare. This is going to be a physicality contest. I'm worried that at this point in the season, we're too bruised and battered to bring it on every play.

DrumNFeather
11-10-2014, 10:02 AM
First team to 20 wins!

U-Ute
11-10-2014, 10:07 AM
I'm just worried that the clusterfuck that was the Oregon game will beat us twice.

sancho
11-10-2014, 11:29 AM
Common opponents:

USC. We won, Stanford lost. They were both toss up games. Stanford's D slowed USC down more than ours did. Stanford moved the ball well but repeatedly blew it in the red zone with penalties and other issues.

WSU. We lost, Stanford won easily with 300 yards passing and 200 yards running.

ASU. We both lost. We lost in OT. Stanford managed only 10 points but had 300 total yards. Stanford lost the turnover batter 2-0.

OSU. Both won. We won in OT. Stanford wrecked them 38-14 with 438 total yards while holding the Beavers to 221 yards (only 12 rushing yards).

Oregon. Both lost. Worst loss of the season for each team. Most recent loss of the season for each team. Stanford managed 430 yards (300 passing). Lost the turnover battle 2-1. Kept it close for a half.

LA Ute
11-10-2014, 12:50 PM
I'm still calling it: Utah by 10 or more. I feel it in my bones.

sancho
11-10-2014, 01:06 PM
I'm still calling it: Utah by 10 or more. I feel it in my bones.

I'm all for it. That's how I felt about the Stanford game last year.

mUUser
11-10-2014, 01:36 PM
Flying in for this one. Want the kids to experience the Stanford aura. Who knows, maybe one of them will catch the spirit and end up there.

As an aside, I ran into the parents of a kid whose been offered to play at Stanford, as well as several ivy's. They're diehard BYU fans and still holding out hope for an offer, and if no offer emerges, then a walk-on opportunity. What the?......I'm genuinely dumbfounded. :blink: Hey kids....if you get an offer from Stanford, you go to Stanford!! Ugh.

sancho
11-10-2014, 01:42 PM
hey kids....if you get an offer from stanford, you go to stanford!! Ugh.

booooooooo!!!!!!

Applejack
11-10-2014, 02:37 PM
I'm genuinely interested in Clay's performance this coming Saturday. I think he shook off his boner (can we officially call the play "Clay's Boner?" - it sounds civil warish) for the most part during the Oregon game. I'm just worried that a week of social media will ruin his soul.

Mano
11-10-2014, 02:51 PM
Flying in for this one. Want the kids to experience the Stanford aura. Who knows, maybe one of them will catch the spirit and end up there.

As an aside, I ran into the parents of a kid whose been offered to play at Stanford, as well as several ivy's. They're diehard BYU fans and still holding out hope for an offer, and if no offer emerges, then a walk-on opportunity. What the?......I'm genuinely dumbfounded. :blink: Hey kids....if you get an offer from Stanford, you go to Stanford!! Ugh.

To paraphrase someone "If they aren't smart enough to take the Stanford scholarship, they probably are not Stanford material".

LA Ute
11-10-2014, 03:00 PM
I'm genuinely interested in Clay's performance this coming Saturday. I think he shook off his boner (can we officially call the play "Clay's Boner?" - it sounds civil warish) for the most part during the Oregon game. I'm just worried that a week of social media will ruin his soul.

"Clay's Clanger." Probably too British. "Clay's Blunder," maybe.

Applejack
11-10-2014, 03:10 PM
"Clay's Clanger." Probably too British. "Clay's Blunder," maybe.

I'm sticking with boner. Blunder is too soft. I would call Travis' decision to go airborne against Michigan a "blunder." Clay's move was a total boner.

Clay's boner it is!

mpfunk
11-10-2014, 03:28 PM
I'm sticking with boner. Blunder is too soft. I would call Travis' decision to go airborne against Michigan a "blunder." Clay's move was a total boner.

Clay's boner it is!

I actually think you have to go with alliteration. Clay's Calamity.

For those that do not have a problem with language, it probably should be known as Kaelin Clay's Clusterfuck.

Applejack
11-10-2014, 03:29 PM
I actually think you have to go with alliteration. Clay's Calamity.

Now that sounds civil warish! I could get on board with that one.

LA Ute
11-10-2014, 03:39 PM
Now that sounds civil warish! I could get on board with that one.

Ditto. Clay's Calamity. Perfect. Although I imagine many people just making the poor guy's name into a new allusive noun: "Everything was going well until just after halftime when Robinson did a Kaelin Clay," or maybe just "a Clay."

sancho
11-10-2014, 04:05 PM
I've just been calling it the Clay Play. Easier to say than calamity. And we all know that it was a boner, calamity, disaster, catastrophe, debacle, failure.

sancho
11-11-2014, 12:27 PM
To paraphrase someone "If they aren't smart enough to take the Stanford scholarship, they probably are not Stanford material".

I know you all are hoping for another anti-Stanford rant. Here you go:

I saw a few weeks ago a copy of the flier that Stanford hands to football recruits. It lists how much more they will earn during their lives with a Stanford degree than with a degree from any school in the AP top 25.

First of all, a good student - the type who can get into Stanford - ends up making the same on average as a student who goes to Palo Alto. If you take Utes with a 32+ on the ACT and Cards with a 32+ on the ACT, they both end up making bank if they want to.

Second, Stanford average salaries at 15 years post graduation are sky high because a significant percentage of their grads go to law and med school. If you look at Ute undergrads and Stanford undergrads who go on to med school, I have to think the salary discrepancy is much lower. Plus, when both groups are in 6 figures, the salary discrepancy is almost meaningless.

Third, Stanford does not offer undergraduate degrees in nursing, education, etc. There is quite a selection bias on students who go to Stanford against lower paying careers, so of course their average salaries are higher.

Finally, Stanford football players are not typically the students going to med school, so the target audience is being fed misleading numbers. What is the average salary of Stanford communication majors? Psych majors? Sociology?

LA Ute
11-11-2014, 12:43 PM

I saw a few weeks ago a copy of the flier that Stanford hands to football recruits. It lists how much more they will earn during their lives with a Stanford degree than with a degree from any school in the AP top 25.

First of all, a good student - the type who can get into Stanford - ends up making the same on average as a student who goes to Palo Alto. If you take Utes with a 32+ on the ACT and Cards with a 32+ on the ACT, they both end up making bank if they want to.

Second, Stanford average salaries at 15 years post graduation are sky high because a significant percentage of their grads go to law and med school. If you look at Ute undergrads and Stanford undergrads who go on to med school, I have to think the salary discrepancy is much lower. Plus, when both groups are in 6 figures, the salary discrepancy is almost meaningless.

Third, Stanford does not offer undergraduate degrees in nursing, education, etc. There is quite a selection bias on students who go to Stanford against lower paying careers, so of course their average salaries are higher.

Finally, Stanford football players are not typically the students going to med school, so the target audience is being fed misleading numbers. What is the average salary of Stanford communication majors? Psych majors? Sociology?

Excellent points, all. I think it's funny that Stanford sends that message to football recruits. (I'm actually kind of embarrassed for them.)

Applejack
11-11-2014, 12:47 PM

C'mon, Sancho. This is the best you can do? Discuss the earning potential of various degrees/candidates/etc?

It doesn't have to be today, it doesn't have to be tomorrow, but some time this week it is your message board duty to post an anti-Stanford screed that defies all logic and boundaries of good taste in its hatred. We need this one.

LA Ute
11-11-2014, 09:09 PM
Watching some clips of the Oregon game, I'm impressed by Booker's good hands. So we have another weapon in the same player. We need that!

DrumNFeather
11-11-2014, 09:13 PM
Watching some clips of the Oregon game, I'm impressed by Booker's good hands. So we have another weapon in the same player. We need that!
One thing I noticed was that our RT got pushed all over the place.

concerned
11-11-2014, 09:27 PM

And what about the students who go into research and academia? I read somewhere over the last couple of years a majority of Harvard grads (among other institutions) have gone into investment banking.

NorthwestUteFan
11-11-2014, 10:03 PM
One thing I noticed was that our RT got pushed all over the place.

He is a True Freshman, isn't he? I think he will be a beast as a Jr/Sr.

NorthwestUteFan
11-11-2014, 10:14 PM
C'mon, Sancho. This is the best you can do? Discuss the earning potential of various degrees/candidates/etc?

It doesn't have to be today, it doesn't have to be tomorrow, but some time this week it is your message board duty to post an anti-Stanford screed that defies all logic and boundaries of good taste in its hatred. We need this one.

Ditto that. I want a true anti-Stanford screed, the type that can only be delivered by a carpetbagging Dookie.

On the other hand, I can't imagine why any parent would push their kid to byu over Stanford. Or nearly any other college, for that matter. That boggles the mind on too many fronts.

Diehard Ute
11-11-2014, 11:18 PM
He is a True Freshman, isn't he? I think he will be a beast as a Jr/Sr.

Sophomore

mUUser
11-12-2014, 08:55 AM
I know you all are hoping for another anti-Stanford rant....

I like the effort, but, you're trying to argue that Melissa Rivers is hotter than Kate Beckinsale, that chihuahua's are cooler than pit bulls & a prius is more manly than a truck.

That dog don't hunt, brother. :D

sancho
11-12-2014, 08:58 AM
Ditto that. I want a true anti-Stanford screed

Well, I had to look up screed, and I am offended. There is nothing crazy or irrational about my Stanford hate. The only crazy thing is that people still don't understand that the place is nothing more than an old-money snob factory for the children of jerks. When I'm in charge, I'm cutting NIH, DOD, and NSF funding to private universities. Let them pay for their own research with the humongous piles of gold they call endowments. You want a government loan for school? Go to a government school. Seriously, they're like dragons with their gold. Public money can go to public universities. The snob whining is going to be memorable forever. Seven stages of grief type stuff. People from across the nation who are used to getting every little thing they want will come to the slow realization that their moment is coming to an end. There's revolution in the air. Berlin wall redux. First, it will be professors. Running from the tree to the bear. The students will follow. Mass migration to public schools across the country; elite factor at state schools will rise as diversity rates decline to absorb hordes of upper-class white kids. And the girl in law school at Duke who became angry, sullen, violent, and withdrawn all at the same time in reaction to my "Stanford Tree is the Worst Mascot in Sports" stand-up routine will cry bitter tears to see the tree felled.

sancho
11-12-2014, 09:00 AM
I like the effort, but, you're trying to argue that Melissa Rivers is hotter than Kate Beckinsale, that chihuahua's are cooler than pit bulls & a prius is more manly than a truck.

I'm with you, man. All those Prius loving Cardinals with chihuahuas in the passenger seat can get out of the way of me and Kate in my Ute truck.

Applejack
11-12-2014, 09:07 AM
Well, I had to look up screed, and I am offended. There is nothing crazy or irrational about my Stanford hate. The only crazy thing is that people still don't understand that the place is nothing more than an old-money snob factory for the children of jerks. When I'm in charge, I'm cutting NIH, DOD, and NSF funding to private universities. Let them pay for their own research with the humongous piles of gold they call endowments. You want a government loan for school? Go to a government school. Seriously, they're like dragons with their gold. Public money can go to public universities. The snob whining is going to be memorable forever. Seven stages of grief type stuff. People from across the nation who are used to getting every little thing they want will come to the slow realization that their moment is coming to an end. There's revolution in the air. Berlin wall redux. First, it will be professors. Running from the tree to the bear. The students will follow. Mass migration to public schools across the country; elite factor at state schools will rise as diversity rates decline to absorb hordes of upper-class white kids. And the girl in law school at Duke who became angry, sullen, violent, and withdrawn all at the same time in reaction to my "Stanford Tree is the Worst Mascot in Sports" stand-up routine will cry bitter tears to see the tree felled.

That's more like it!

Solon
11-12-2014, 11:12 AM

Excellent points, all. I think it's funny that Stanford sends that message to football recruits. (I'm actually kind of embarrassed for them.)

Yep. It shows a fundamental ignorance of what education really is.

We shouldn't be too surprised about this letter, though. It goes hand-in-hand with the traditions of a school founded with the ill-gotten blood-money of a gold-grubbing robber-baron industrialist, a school that managed to teach a young Herbert Hoover how to turn a Pretty Good Recession into a Great Depression, a school that celebrated the predatory predilections of its founder when its student-body proposed that the teams be called "Robber-Barons" decades ago.

A win against Stanford is like a win against Enron & WorldCom! C'mon, Utes! Do it for the workingman. Time to bring death to their hometown (http://brucespringsteen.net/songs/death-to-my-hometown) for once.

(PS - I hope like hell my kid goes to Stanford someday)

sancho
11-12-2014, 11:19 AM
(PS - I hope like hell my kid goes to Stanford someday)

You built up a perfect post for this week. Beautiful. Even included a blue collar Bruce song. And then you throw it out with this.

Doesn't your kid get discounted tuition in Cedar? Or in-state tuition at the U if he wants to leave home? There is no need to even look at anything else.

Applejack
11-12-2014, 02:40 PM
I just received an invite to join the DC area Ute alums for a Stanford victory party. Here's the announcement:

Hey D.C. Utes!

Last weekend's game didn't go so well, but we know the Utes can bring it back! As the season is slowly coming to an end, we're doing one last raffle
at this Saturday's game against Stanford.

To go out with a bang, we'll be raffling a pair of tickets to see
Donnie & Marie: Christmas at National Theatre (http://uofudc.us3.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=8830a9954fe46937ad46a7d73&id=40ffcbf4df&e=d3b8dc7bb5) on December 5th.

WTF? The raffle is a Donnie & Marie concert? That's like BYU having a viewing party at Chuck-E-Cheese (founded by a Ute). C'mon alumni assoc.....

Diehard Ute
11-12-2014, 02:50 PM
I just received an invite to join the DC area Ute alums for a Stanford victory party. Here's the announcement:

WTF? The raffle is a Donnie & Marie concert? That's like BYU having a viewing party at Chuck-E-Cheese (founded by a Ute). C'mon alumni assoc.....

Pretty sure Bobby McFerrin isn't performing this year so they had to go with plan B

UTEopia
11-12-2014, 05:27 PM
What do people think the offense will look like this week? No Dres, no Patrick, a hobbled Scott. Clay will move outside and Scott will play as much as possible at the other outside position, with Young and McClellon as the key subs. My guess is that we will see Tonga flexed out in the slot and 87 lined up as the TE. That gives us another blocker for Booker and hopefully Tonga can get open over the middle.

LA Ute
11-12-2014, 05:32 PM
What do people think the offense will look like this week? No Dres, no Patrick, a hobbled Scott. Clay will move outside and Scott will play as much as possible at the other outside position, with Young and McClellon as the key subs. My guess is that we will see Tonga flexed out in the slot and 87 lined up as the TE. That gives us another blocker for Booker and hopefully Tonga can get open over the middle.

Don't you think we'll more of Bubba Poole and a 2-back set?

UTEopia
11-12-2014, 06:57 PM
Don't you think we'll more of Bubba Poole and a 2-back set?

I don't know. I don't think you gain anything blocking wise by having a 2 back set over 1 back and a TE. They used that set a few times against Oregon, but they ran more gimic plays out of it than the basic offense. I think we will see a lot of different looks to keep Stanford honest. We had a lot of success a year ago motioning the back out of the backfield and throwing the swing pass. With 2 backs, you could motion Poole and still run Booker.

DrumNFeather
11-12-2014, 08:53 PM
Lots of swing passes.

DrumNFeather
11-13-2014, 11:06 AM
Sounds like Manning is the backup. I look forward to the cries to free him.

sancho
11-13-2014, 11:07 AM
Sounds like Manning is the backup. I look forward to the cries to free him.

Free Manning!

sancho
11-14-2014, 06:22 PM
I figure there are four Pac12 coaches who still have a shot at coach of the year - Herzlich/Graham as frontrunners and Whittingham/RichRod if either wins out.

hostile
11-15-2014, 11:28 AM
Game day!!! Got up early to watch England lose (again) to South Africa in rugby. Getting breakfast in Menlo Park now with the kids then waste time with friends until kickoff. The student newspaper thinks Utah wins in a low scoring affair. I agree with their highly-educated opinion.

Applejack
11-15-2014, 12:46 PM
Game day!!! Got up early to watch England lose (again) to South Africa in rugby. Getting breakfast in Menlo Park now with the kids then waste time with friends until kickoff. The student newspaper thinks Utah wins in a low scoring affair. I agree with their highly-educated opinion.

Where did you get breakfast? Cafe BOrrone? That's where all the VCs get their morning Joe/egg white omelette.

LA Ute
11-15-2014, 01:02 PM

Envious! I'm stuck in L.A. at a political event. By 3:00 pm I will be sitting in front of my TV watching the game. My Utah flag is hanging in front of the house for the benefit of my Tree graduate neighbors.

OrangeUte
11-15-2014, 02:12 PM
Just ate some incredible thai food at Bangkok Kitchen in Concord and should be at the stadium around 30 minutes before kick off.

OrangeUte
11-15-2014, 02:12 PM
And.... GO SPRINGBOKS!!!!!

mUUser
11-15-2014, 02:35 PM
Anybody going to tailgate? Looks like a good Utah representation walking around campus.

LA Ute
11-15-2014, 04:14 PM
Well, this first series could have gone better. We got burned badly for stacking the box and that TD pass was far too easy. Ugh.

mpfunk
11-15-2014, 04:16 PM
Well shit. If our defense doesn't come to play today, this will be ugly. I'm not confident our offense can score more than 9 points.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Snowman
11-15-2014, 04:19 PM
Well, this first series could have gone better. We got burned badly for stacking the box and that TD pass was far too easy. Ugh.

Yeah. I thought for sure they were just going to do a six inch QB sneak. Shaw's a smart dude. That was a good call.

Snowman
11-15-2014, 04:27 PM
Wilson is going to have sacrifice himself this game. God bless him. He's a tough tough kid. I don't know of any player more willing to give it all. He may have limitations but heart isn't one of them. I'll always remember him as one of my favorite players. Not sure why I'm being so sentimental all of a sudden. I'm not even drunk.

mpfunk
11-15-2014, 04:29 PM
Wilson is going to have sacrifice himself this game. God bless him. He's a tough tough kid. I don't know of any player more willing to give it all. He may have limitations but heart isn't one of them. I'll always remember him as one of my favorite players. Not sure why I'm being so sentimental all of a sudden. I'm not even drunk.

I feel bad for Travis. The guy tries hard and had talent, but our coaches have destroyed him. He is now a failed player and it is on the coaches, not him.

Mormon Red Death
11-15-2014, 04:34 PM
Wow you mean third and long and they bring the blitz! Never saw that coming.
Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

LA Ute
11-15-2014, 04:35 PM
Slow start. There's still lots of time but so far their D looks much better than ours.

sancho
11-15-2014, 04:40 PM
Wow you mean third and long and they bring the blitz! Never saw that coming.

Yeah, we know it's coming. What are we supposed to do? We are the dead last worst team in history at running a screen play.

Snowman
11-15-2014, 04:45 PM
I feel bad for Travis. The guy tries hard and had talent, but our coaches have destroyed him. He is now a failed player and it is on the coaches, not him.

Football is violent. You going to blame Whit for that?

mpfunk
11-15-2014, 04:47 PM
Football is violent. You going to blame Whit for that?

Injuries are not the reason Travis is a failed QB, not at all.

sancho
11-15-2014, 04:51 PM
That's two costly drops already.

Diehard Ute
11-15-2014, 04:52 PM
Bad call there. Replay clearly shows he was pushed into Montgomery

Snowman
11-15-2014, 04:56 PM
Just what we needed.

Thank you D!!!

Diehard Ute
11-15-2014, 04:58 PM
Should have had 15 more

Snowman
11-15-2014, 05:02 PM
Travis doing what needs to be done!!!

Diehard Ute
11-15-2014, 05:08 PM
I love Orchard but he's doing a horrible job at containment

LA Ute
11-15-2014, 05:10 PM
It kind of looks like they may be shaking off their stupor.

Diehard Ute
11-15-2014, 05:18 PM
As a former field guy I just have to say Stanford has a horrible field.

Mormon Red Death
11-15-2014, 05:22 PM
Why can't Philips hit a 56 yarder?

Diehard Ute
11-15-2014, 05:28 PM
Why can't Philips hit a 56 yarder?

Looking at the field conditions and knowing the game is not at altitude I think that's asking a bit much ;)

sancho
11-15-2014, 05:32 PM
Looking at the field conditions and knowing the game is not at altitude I think that's asking a bit much ;)

Lousy fumble. We should be up 10-7. Hate to waste Scott's nice grab.

Diehard Ute
11-15-2014, 05:56 PM
Defense is being too aggressive

sancho
11-15-2014, 06:01 PM
Stanford flipped the field on us with that lousy 3rd and 15.

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-15-2014, 06:14 PM
Stanford flipped the field on us with that lousy 3rd and 15.

Fortunately the offense did just enough and Hackett and Orchard flipped it back. Now do something!

Mormon Red Death
11-15-2014, 06:16 PM
Btw Oregon hosted the first pac12 champ game

Diehard Ute
11-15-2014, 06:17 PM
Orchard sets the sack record for a season at 15.5 and counting

LA Ute
11-15-2014, 06:17 PM
Does our D often struggle on third and long situations?

Diehard Ute
11-15-2014, 06:19 PM
does our D often struggle on third and long situations

Seems our guys sometimes lose their assignments and get caught out of position.

justaute
11-15-2014, 06:23 PM
I believe so. Our secondary, collectively speaking, has not been strong in some time.

Does our D often struggle on third and long situations?

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-15-2014, 06:23 PM
Something more than that!

mpfunk
11-15-2014, 06:24 PM
On the bright side, at least this week our offense sucks against a good defense.

justaute
11-15-2014, 06:25 PM
I really wish Utah had an average offense. ya ya ya....Stanford has a terrific D. How many years, or OCs, do we have to go through to get an average offense?

sancho
11-15-2014, 06:29 PM
15 yards to fg range!

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-15-2014, 06:29 PM
Here we go!

mpfunk
11-15-2014, 06:31 PM
15 yards to fg range!

13 too much to ask from our offense.

Diehard Ute
11-15-2014, 06:32 PM
Dear Travis. Throw the damn thing

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-15-2014, 06:33 PM
Of course. Wrong way!!!!

mpfunk
Why in the fuck is Wilson still our QB?

Diehard Ute
We should have just taken a knee

justaute
11-15-2014, 06:34 PM
Exactly. I have so many descriptive phrases and adjectives I want to use, but what's the point.

Dear Travis. Throw the damn thing

utefan
11-15-2014, 06:35 PM
Does Wilson have instructions to never throw the ball away?!?!

Unbelievable how many sacks this guy takes!

Hot Lunch
11-15-2014, 06:35 PM
Put in Manning. I am so done with Travis. Oh my goodness is he awful.

mpfunk
11-15-2014, 06:37 PM
Put in Manning. I am so done with Travis. Oh my goodness is he awful.

The only excuse for Wilson taking another snap this year is if Cox and Manning are both hurt.

LA Ute
11-15-2014, 06:48 PM
I wish we had an option but an untried redshirt freshman isn't gonna get it done either

mpfunk
11-15-2014, 06:49 PM
I wish we had an option but an untried redshirt freshman isn't gonna get it done either

You really think it could be worse?

Diehard Ute
11-15-2014, 06:50 PM
We run a draw??

mpfunk
11-15-2014, 06:50 PM
Playing for OT is the right call with our QB.

Diehard Ute
11-15-2014, 06:52 PM
A draw is playing to lose. We had to get a first down and failed. They're going to have a shot now.

justaute
11-15-2014, 06:54 PM
I don't disagree. But, given how deep we were, we could have used one first down.

Playing for OT is the right call with our QB.

mpfunk
11-15-2014, 06:54 PM
A draw is playing to lose. We had to get a first down and failed. They're going to have a shot now.

Playing Wilson is playing to minimize damage, not playing to win. If that is the decision you call plays to minimize damage, not to win.

Diehard Ute
11-15-2014, 06:56 PM
Playing Wilson is playing to minimize damage, not playing to win. If that is the decision you call plays to minimize damage, not to win.

You don't have to throw. At least give Booker a chance to make a play instead of saying we're OK gaining nothing

Diehard Ute
11-15-2014, 07:03 PM
Didn't see that coming

Snowman
11-15-2014, 07:17 PM
Yes!!!!!!

Hot Lunch
11-15-2014, 07:17 PM
Thank goodness. I still would like to never see Travis behind center again.

sancho
11-15-2014, 07:18 PM
We own Stanford! Two in a row.

Never thought we were going to throw on that 3rd down. I wonder if we were planning on going for it on 4th.

Diehard Ute
11-15-2014, 07:18 PM
The Dark Knight Rises

sancho
11-15-2014, 07:20 PM
We are down to just to WRs, and all they do is make game winning catches (and boneheaded, unforgivable Clay Plays)!

We were very lucky that Stanford took themselves out of FG range at the end with penalties. And Rowe saved the game by breaking up that long ball at the end of regulation.

Hot Lunch
11-15-2014, 07:21 PM
The Dark Knight Rises

So happy for K Scott. He is one of my favorites on this team.

LA Ute
11-15-2014, 07:23 PM
We are down to just to WRs, and all they do is make game winning catches (and boneheaded, unforgivable Clay Plays)!

We were very lucky that Stanford took themselves out of FG range at the end with penalties. And Rowe saved the game by breaking up that long ball at the end of regulation.

Rowe's my candidate for the game ball.

sancho
11-15-2014, 07:26 PM
Did we just score two TDs in OT? Without Booker gaining a yard? How bout that 3rd and 8 to Tonga?

Our last 4 wins - Stanford, USC, OSU, UCLA - all went down to the last play.

Hackett is the best punter in college football history.

Applejack
11-15-2014, 07:26 PM
Great win. Victories over usc, ucla, and Stanford. That is an amazing season.

How does Stanford not have a good running back? That's like Utah not having good d-lineman.

LA Ute
11-15-2014, 07:28 PM
You really think it could be worse?

I really hate to say it, but yes. Ugh.

But for now, let's enjoy this! 7-3, 3-0 against the CA schools. For those of us who live here, that's a type of awesome only rarely experienced!

justaute
Wilson -- way to make those critical throws.

sancho
Rowe's my candidate for the game ball.

Rowe, Orchard, Hackett. Any one of those three. Orchard had the strip that swung momentum to us and gave us a TD drive.

Snowman
11-15-2014, 07:30 PM
GO UTES!!!

Spoiled young fans may not understand.

Thank you, Travis.

Clay, we remember the TD winner against USC and we'll never forget this one.

Thank you Blechen. Thank you Booker.

HELL YES!!!

Utah man, Sir!!!

justaute
11-15-2014, 07:32 PM
Also, hat's off to the P12 Post-game show/analysts. Win or lose, I always enjoy listening to those guys.

sancho
11-15-2014, 07:34 PM
Win or lose, I always enjoy listening to those guys.

I don't enjoy anything after losing, but I agree with you. They are good. Better than the guys in the booth a lot of the time.

justaute
11-15-2014, 07:36 PM
True--I hate losing.

I don't enjoy anything after losing, but I agree with you. They are good. Better than the guys in the booth a lot of the time.

Ma'ake
11-15-2014, 07:36 PM
Football is often a game of redemption. Kicking adversity in the teeth.

As aggravating as it gets sometimes, you just gotta have faith and hope your guys can rise to meet the challenge.

I remember being insanely frustrated with Brian Johnson in 2008, especially coughing up 2 huge turnovers at Air Force, but we found a way to win that game, on 4th and goal, a pitch to Darrell Mack. The 2008 team taught me to never give up.

These guys don't give up, why should we?

7-3. Un-freaking-believable.

Who here said we need to video tape ourselves doing cartwheels?

Snowman
11-15-2014, 07:41 PM
Football is often a game of redemption. Kicking adversity in the teeth.

As aggravating as it gets sometimes, you just gotta have faith and hope your guys can rise to meet the challenge.

I remember being insanely frustrated with Brian Johnson in 2008, especially coughing up 2 huge turnovers at Air Force, but we found a way to win that game, on 4th and goal, a pitch to Darrell Mack. The 2008 team taught me to never give up.

These guys don't give up, why should we?

7-3. Un-freaking-believable.

Who here said we need to video tape ourselves doing cartwheels?

Yes

LA Ute
11-15-2014, 07:54 PM
Our last 4 wins - Stanford, USC, OSU, UCLA - all went down to the last play.

That's what really good teams do. Despite our below average offense, we are a really good team. Strange but true.

The PAC-12 postgame guys are giving the Utes lots of love. Hackett gets special mention. He deserves it.

Mormon Red Death
11-15-2014, 07:56 PM
Double ot and it still hits the under

LA Ute
11-15-2014, 08:00 PM
Just saw someone make this point: In the toughest 6-game stretch in school history, Utah has gone 4-2.

Diehard Ute
11-15-2014, 08:06 PM
Just saw someone make this point: In the toughest 6-game stretch in school history, Utah has gone 4-2.

And 10 years ago who would have dreamed Utah's wins in a season would include Stanford, USC, Michigan and UCLA.

USS Utah
11-15-2014, 08:13 PM
Let's see:

Playing on the road against the best defense in the conference, perhaps the country. Check.

Stanford was coming off a bye with an head coach who had never lost two in a row. Check.

The Utah road warriors force OT and win with two TD passes from a QB who had been declared to be a failure by some fans earlier in the game. Check.

It's just 10 minutes after 8 o'clock and Utah is 7-3 having defeated UCLA, Oregon St., USC and Stanford -- three of those games on the road. Check.

Go Utes!

Applejack
11-15-2014, 08:14 PM

I predicted 1-5. Really amazing season so far. It's not over, so a lot (good and bad) can still happen, but this season is one of my top 3 all time right now.

hostile
11-15-2014, 08:15 PM
Fun game to attend. I was surprised by the number of Utah fans who were there as well as the paucity of Stanford fans. Not much energy in the stadium for the home team, not loud at all. The north end zone was loud in OT-glad we lost the coin flip and were abLE to choose that direction. Travis is frustrating to watch but he made some great throws in OT. Gutsy call to pass it on the final play.

Diehard Ute
11-15-2014, 08:22 PM
Fun game to attend. I was surprised by the number of Utah fans who were there as well as the paucity of Stanford fans. Not much energy in the stadium for the home team, not loud at all. The north end zone was loud in OT-glad we lost the coin flip and were abLE to choose that direction. Travis is frustrating to watch but he made some great throws in OT. Gutsy call to pass it on the final play.

Per Utah we sold out our allotment of tickets. Nice to see.

sancho
11-15-2014, 08:27 PM
Travis is frustrating to watch but he made some great throws in OT. Gutsy call to pass it on the final play.

The TD to Clay was just what he needed. His 4th quarter throws were mostly off, even the easy ones. I thought he had some bad body language and just didn't look like the kind of guy to lead us to an OT victory. I think that Clay TD brought him back and helped him make the throws to Tonga and Scott.

OrangeUte
11-15-2014, 08:31 PM
What a fun game!

OrangeUte
11-15-2014, 08:32 PM
Lots of Ute fans at this game. Lots of fun.

Sullyute
11-15-2014, 08:45 PM
What a fun game!

Great picture!

OrangeUte
11-15-2014, 08:50 PM
Great picture!

Travis took pictures w tons of fans. Classy player.

DrumNFeather
11-15-2014, 09:30 PM
I was attending a wedding in D.C. and missed this game, but I watched it in fast forward when I got home. Looks like we gutted out another win in this big boy league. 9-3 is a real possibility that many of us would've killed for in the preseason. Hats off to Whittingham, the D, and yes, Travis Wilson.

UTEopia
11-16-2014, 07:32 AM
GO UTES!!!

Spoiled young fans may not understand.

Thank you, Travis.

Clay, we remember the TD winner against USC and we'll never forget this one.

Thank you Blechen. Thank you Booker.

HELL YES!!!

Utah man, Sir!!!

As I guy who sat through the 70's and 80's, I'll call that HELL Yes and double it.

LA Ute
11-16-2014, 08:08 AM
The official stats are pretty interesting. For example, we had more third down conversions than Stanford, and a higher percentage.

http://www.utahutes.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2014-2015/utahstan.html

OrangeUte
11-16-2014, 08:18 AM
I was attending a wedding in D.C. and missed this game, but I watched it in fast forward when I got home. Looks like we gutted out another win in this big boy league. 9-3 is a real possibility that many of us would've killed for in the preseason. Hats off to Whittingham, the D, and yes, Travis Wilson.

And it includes wins over several ranked teams, including over a top 10 team. What a surprise this team has been this year.

LA Ute
11-16-2014, 08:59 AM
and it includes wins over several ranked teams, including over a top 10 team on the road. What a surprise this team has been this year.

fify. :d

OrangeUte
11-16-2014, 09:39 AM
fify. :d

You're a true gentleman

USS Utah
11-16-2014, 12:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZdSD35L9LU&feature=youtu.be

OrangeUte
11-16-2014, 12:43 PM
I love these videos.

LA Ute
11-16-2014, 09:11 PM
This is a Utah fan's video that shows how Scott got open on the winning touchdown. The TV camera angle doesn't show that:

http://youtu.be/SyvQ-adTEX0

Looks like the Stanford DB thought Scott was going to try a fade.

Diehard Ute
11-16-2014, 09:36 PM
This is a Utah fan's video that shows how Scott got open on the winning touchdown. The TV camera angle doesn't show that:

http://youtu.be/SyvQ-adTEX0

Looks like the Stanford DB thought Scott was going to try a fade.

Scott actually talked about this to the radio guys on the post game. The DB told the inside guys he was playing the fade so he'd need help inside. Scott heard this and knew he was running the slant so he faked the fade