PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Utes vs Harbaugh and those other guys

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

utefan
11-15-2014, 07:50 PM
I know this is early, but 2015 could be special.

Who do do the Utes lose, and who is in line to replace them?

The way things are going now, the Utes will probably finish the 2014 season ranked, and will probably be ranked in the 2015 preseason.

Before the 2014 season all the local media had to say was BYU was going to be undefeated, and Utah was going to be looking for a new coach after a terrible season. OOPS!

Hopefully this season will give the Utes a nice recruiting bump.

Applejack
11-17-2014, 08:11 AM
We don't lose a lot in terms of sheer numbers of seniors, but we lose virtually all of our big-play guys, except for Booker.

Contributing seniors that we lose on Offense:
WR: Dres, Tonga, K. Clay (he's going to apply for another year - it looks doubtful, from what I've heard)
OL: Jr Salt, Pouvave

Contributing seniors that we lose on Defense:
D-Line: Orchard, Ianu,
DB: Rowe, Orphey
LB: Hale
Safeties: Blechen, Freeman, Carter (he's also going to apply for another year)

Basically we are bringing back a ton of talent on the offensive and defensive lines. Of course, we lose perhaps our best defensive end ever, so there's that.
We also have to completely reload at receiver/TE.
Linebackers look to be fine, barring injuries, and I think we'll be OK at DB - we lose Rowe and Orphey, but should have Reggie Porter back.
We will need some help at safety. Marcus Williams has really improved, but we lose Blechen who has been really solid, if unspectacular, this year. It would be really nice to get another year for Carter.

sancho
11-17-2014, 08:30 AM

Two of our current commits are JC WRs. The hope is that at least one will be able to step right into a starting role.

concerned
11-17-2014, 08:31 AM
We don't lose a lot in terms of sheer numbers of seniors, but we lose virtually all of our big-play guys, except for Booker.

Contributing seniors that we lose on Offense:
WR: Dres, Tonga, K. Clay (he's going to apply for another year - it looks doubtful, from what I've heard)
OL: Jr Salt, Pouvave

Contributing seniors that we lose on Defense:
D-Line: Orchard, Ianu,
DB: Rowe, Orphey
LB: Hale
Safeties: Blechen, Freeman, Carter (he's also going to apply for another year)

Basically we are bringing back a ton of talent on the offensive and defensive lines. Of course, we lose perhaps our best defensive end ever, so there's that.
Linebackers look to be fine, barring injuries, and I think we'll be OK at DB - we lose Rowe and Orphey, but should have Reggie Porter back.
We will need some help at safety. Marcus Williams has really improved, but we lose Blechen who has been really solid, if unspectacular, this year. It would be really nice to get another year for Carter.

A year ago, we were wondering how we would ever replace Reilly, and how much weaker we would be on the D line this year because of that loss. Hopefully somebody will step up.

To me the big question next year is the same as it is every year it seems: Have we solved our qb problems? Not having KT in spring really hurts, and I cringe at the idea of another year of TW's ups and downs.

Applejack
11-17-2014, 08:42 AM
Two of our current commits are JC WRs. The hope is that at least one will be able to step right into a starting role.

Hopefully. I'm really down on JC Wideouts right now. One of the seniors that we have graduating this year is Andre Lewis, a former JC guy who was supposed to be the real deal. He hasn't been able to do much of anything, even with all of the injuries we've had. Clay has been good, of course.

A year ago, we were wondering how we would ever replace Reilly, and how much weaker we would be on the D line this year because of that loss. Hopefully somebody will step up.

To me the big question next year is the same as it is every year it seems: Have we solved our qb problems? Not having KT in spring really hurts, and I cringe at the idea of another year of TW's ups and downs.

A few years ago I finally bought into the advice that someone on this board gave: never doubt the d-line under Whittingham. I'm sure we'll have something new on the d-line next year. But I will miss having Nate back there.

sancho
11-17-2014, 08:51 AM
Hopefully. I'm really down on JC Wideouts right now. One of the seniors that we have graduating this year is Andre Lewis, a former JC guy who was supposed to be the real deal. He hasn't been able to do much of anything, even with all of the injuries we've had. Clay has been good, of course.

JC's are no different than any other new recruit. They come with a certain probability of success. A 2 star recruit comes with a 5% chance. A 3 star comes with a 15% chance, and 4-5 stars come with a 25% odds. I made those numbers up, of course.

Scout.com has 100 3-star QBs right now. How many of them will end up being quality starters for P5 teams? Maybe 10? You have to collect as many as you can to hit the lottery with one.

For us to get a 50-50 split out of Clay/Lewis is beating the odds. I think we have 6-7 WRs committed for next year? The hope is that 1-2 of them work out.

Applejack
11-17-2014, 09:01 AM
JC's are no different than any other new recruit. They come with a certain probability of success. A 2 star recruit comes with a 5% chance. A 3 star comes with a 15% chance, and 4-5 stars come with a 25% odds. I made those numbers up, of course.

Scout.com has 100 3-star QBs right now. How many of them will end up being quality starters for P5 teams? Maybe 10? You have to collect as many as you can to hit the lottery with one.

For us to get a 50-50 split out of Clay/Lewis is beating the odds. I think we have 6-7 WRs committed for next year? The hope is that 1-2 of them work out.

I think that JCs are a little more likely to fail because of timing. They need to quickly grasp the offense and get used to D-1 speed/schemes. Otherwise, they ride the pine their first year and then they are basically used up.

concerned
11-17-2014, 09:03 AM
I think that JCs are a little more likely to fail because of timing. They need to quickly grasp the offense and get used to D-1 speed/schemes. Otherwise, they ride the pine their first year and then they are basically used up.

The more I think about it, the really big question is replacing Hackett and Phillips. They are almost our best offensive weapons. (I am assuming Phillips will declare, since he is 25 has a baby and cant probably improve his draft status next year.)

sancho
11-17-2014, 09:10 AM
The more I think about it, the really big question is replacing Hackett and Phillips. They are almost our best offensive weapons. (I am assuming Phillips will declare, since he is 25 has a baby and cant probably improve his draft status next year.)

Is he an NFL kicker? Doesn't he need to more consistently put the ball out of the endzone on kickoffs? How many kicker openings are there in the NFL this draft? He may want to stick around. Does he have a degree yet?

sancho
11-17-2014, 09:12 AM

Makes sense. On the other hand, maybe coaches know a little more about them because there is film against something more than high school competition. So maybe the star "odds" are slightly raised for JCs?

We've had tons of success with JC players. But WR is such a hard position to learn. It takes a thorough understanding of the system and an ESP connection with the QB(s). Not to mention the physical tools and the right mindset.

Applejack
11-17-2014, 12:07 PM

Is he an NFL kicker? Doesn't he need to more consistently put the ball out of the endzone on kickoffs? How many kicker openings are there in the NFL this draft? He may want to stick around. Does he have a degree yet?

Is this a possibility? I know absolutely nothing about kickers or punters (PUNTERS!) declaring early. Does the NCAA even allow such nonsense? I have no ability to evaluate NFL kicking potential either, although I would think Hackett clearly has it based on stats alone.

LA Ute
11-17-2014, 12:13 PM

Looks like he did something in the off-season that enabled him to kick the ball out of the endzone whenever he wants to. My understanding is that the short kicks this season have been intentional, because of the opposing team's returner or other such issues.

Applejack
11-17-2014, 12:29 PM
OK, now I'm obsessed. NFLdraftscout.com lists Andy as the 4th best placekicke (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=111314&draftyear=2017&genpos=K)r in his class and Hackett as the 7th best punter (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=109524&draftyear=2016&genpos=P) in his. [This site looks a little dated (I'm not their pages have been updated since October).]

A couple of years ago LSU's punter, Brad Wing (also Australian), declared early (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=109524&draftyear=2016&genpos=P). Wing was not drafted and was cut by the team he tried out with. But it looks like he stuck around and is on currently on the Steelers roster. Before him, the last time a punter left early for the NFL was 1991.

I know that Sebastian Janikowski left FSU early and was drafted in the first round. I couldn't find a lot of other examples.

I'd be surprised if either left.

sancho
11-17-2014, 12:39 PM

Now Booker, that's another question.

Applejack
11-17-2014, 12:43 PM
Now Booker, that's another question.

Yeah, Booker is listed as the #10 running back in the junior class (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=126686&draftyear=2016&genpos=RB). The guy is not a scholar and running backs take a lot of wear and tear (especially when you have no passing game). He is probably our leading candidate.

If he left, would we score in the majority of our games next year?

Sullyute
11-17-2014, 02:11 PM
OK, now I'm obsessed. NFLdraftscout.com lists Andy as the 4th best placekicke (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=111314&draftyear=2017&genpos=K)r in his class and Hackett as the 7th best punter (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=109524&draftyear=2016&genpos=P) in his. [This site looks a little dated (I'm not their pages have been updated since October).]

A couple of years ago LSU's punter, Brad Wing (also Australian), declared early (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=109524&draftyear=2016&genpos=P). Wing was not drafted and was cut by the team he tried out with. But it looks like he stuck around and is on currently on the Steelers roster. Before him, the last time a punter left early for the NFL was 1991.

I know that Sebastian Janikowski left FSU early and was drafted in the first round. I couldn't find a lot of other examples.

Back when King Louie was looking at the NFL, I remember Whittingham commenting that NFL teams, because of their smaller rosters, really want a person who can kick and punt. Based on that, Whit thought King Louie was going to get a shot at the big time. He didn't get drafted but did end up kicking in the Canadian league. As good as Andy is, I don't see him leaving early. He may graduate with a Ph.D from the U by the time he finishes his eligibility.

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-17-2014, 03:48 PM

With our history, I look at our JC commits with a 50% chance that they ever qualify, and then a 50% chance they contribute on the field. The first 50% is a bit harsh, but that seems to be how it feels whenever one doesn't qualify.

Back when King Louie was looking at the NFL, I remember Whittingham commenting that NFL teams, because of their smaller rosters, really want a person who can kick and punt. Based on that, Whit thought King Louie was going to get a shot at the big time. He didn't get drafted but did end up kicking in the Canadian league. As good as Andy is, I don't see him leaving early. He may graduate with a Ph.D from the U by the time he finishes his eligibility.

Is this true? I thought that the NFL liked guys that can kick it out of the endzone and kick it through the up rights. It seems like a weird combo to be a place kicker and a punter. I don't follow the NFL, so it could easily be, but is this a real thing?

Diehard Ute
11-17-2014, 04:06 PM

I think you confused kick and punt with kick field goals and kick off deep. Some place kickers struggle with kick offs and it dooms their chances. Louie fell in this category.

I don't see Phillips leaving.

Sullyute
11-17-2014, 04:34 PM
Is this true? I thought that the NFL liked guys that can kick it out of the endzone and kick it through the up rights. It seems like a weird combo to be a place kicker and a punter. I don't follow the NFL, so it could easily be, but is this a real thing?

I think you confused kick and punt with kick field goals and kick off deep. Some place kickers struggle with kick offs and it dooms their chances. Louie fell in this category.

I probably am. Louie could kick field goals and punt. I don't remember him on the kick offs.

Diehard Ute
11-17-2014, 04:35 PM
I probably am. Louie could kick field goals and punt. I don't remember him on the kick offs.

Short. Rarely got a touch back let alone able to kick it out of the end zone. He was a very accurate guy, but even on FG his range was average

concerned
11-17-2014, 04:54 PM
Short. Rarely got a touch back let alone able to kick it out of the end zone. He was a very accurate guy, but even on FG his range was average

I remember everyone saying Louie would not make it in the NFL because he could not kick into the end zone. This year, Phillips has a much stronger leg. Even at sea level he has been putting kick offs deep into the end zone, better than just about every opposing kicker. He is not Louie at all. And he has good accuracy from 45-50 yards, which is at a premium in the NFL. I would go pro if i were in his position, depending on the evaluation I got, I guess.

Diehard Ute
11-17-2014, 04:56 PM
I remember everyone saying Louie would not make it in the NFL because he could not kick into the end zone. This year, Phillips has a much stronger leg. Even at sea level he has been putting kick offs deep into the end zone, better than just about every opposing kicker. He is not Louie at all. And he has good accuracy from 45-50 yards, which is at a premium in the NFL. I would go pro if i were in his position, depending on the evaluation I got, I guess.

Kickers are just in a different place than other players. The risk part is much higher for them leaving. Kickers aren't drafted nearly as often, and rarely in the rounds that guarantee money. Leaving early as a kicker could leave you on the outside looking in pretty fast.

concerned
11-17-2014, 05:09 PM
Kickers are just in a different place than other players. The risk part is much higher for them leaving. Kickers aren't drafted nearly as often, and rarely in the rounds that guarantee money. Leaving early as a kicker could leave you on the outside looking in pretty fast.

How is his vantage point (outside looking in) any different this year or next. He has a finite number of years as a kicker; he can always come back to college and get his degree if he gets cut.

Diehard Ute
11-17-2014, 05:10 PM
How is his vantage point (outside looking in) any different this year or next. He has a finite number of years as a kicker; he can always come back to college and get his degree if he gets cut.

Kickers can kick into their 40's in the NFL. If he can improve his strength and further his accuracy another year of proving it would increase his position

And it sure seems he enjoys playing in college. That's something he would lose. Money isn't always the most important thing.

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-02-2014, 02:53 PM

Applejack
12-02-2014, 03:06 PM

Kyle ceratinly doesn't look like a linebacker in this picture. Chase is towering over him.

tooblue
12-02-2014, 03:23 PM
Kyle ceratinly doesn't look like a linebacker in this picture. Chase is towering over him.

I guarantee you Chase doesn't look like a QB to Kyle either ... more like a safety. But I'm sure he is telling Chase he could play QB ;-)

Applejack
12-02-2014, 03:32 PM
I guarantee you Chase doesn't look like a QB to Kyle either ... more like a safety. But I'm sure he is telling Chase he could play QB ;-)

Toolblue! Where have you been all year? Hopefully you were able to watch a few Utah games this year. If you are looking for recommendations, might I suggest the Stanford, USC, UCLA, or Michigan games.

tooblue
12-02-2014, 03:37 PM
Toolblue! Where have you been all year? Hopefully you were able to watch a few Utah games this year. If you are looking for recommendations, might I suggest the Stanford, USC, UCLA, or Michigan games.

I have been quite busy. But I was at the Michigan game. Second year in a row I have suffered through a torrential thundershower game delay. I saw many Utah games this year online, but the quality wasn't great due to inconsistent streaming capabilities ... I had to mask my ip. Saw them give up in the Arizona game. And I made the mistake of going to bed because I thought the WSU game was in the bag ... no way they were going choke that game away :blink: But, seriously, the PAC 12 network can't be distributed on Direct tv? I thought ya'll was all that and more?

concerned
12-02-2014, 03:40 PM

Of course, you guys did the same thing with Mike Hague--KW recruited hims as a safety, you told him he could be a running back and then moved him to safety (where he wasnt all that great as it turned out).

tooblue
12-02-2014, 04:01 PM
Of course, you guys did the same thing with Mike Hague--KW recruited hims as a safety, you told him he could be a running back and then moved him to safety (where he wasnt all that great as it turned out).

Didn't he play for like 12 years or something? Converted running back vs QB ... two different things I think. And I didn't tell him anything.

UtahsMrSports
12-02-2014, 04:08 PM
Chase could be our starting QB in 2015.

utefan
12-02-2014, 04:14 PM
Pretty sure this was a jab, but I agree. Chase Hansen will not be a good P5 QB.

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-02-2014, 04:26 PM

Steve Tate disagrees.

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/459314631815598081/Su8DMc7G_bigger.jpegSteve Tate ‏@tate28 (https://twitter.com/tate28) 1h1 hour ago (https://twitter.com/tate28/status/539906560969805824)

I think ChaseHansen has the skills to start right away. He's ceiling is as high as I have seen. Could be a top QB in pac-12 #Utes (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Utes?src=hash)

Not that I agree with Steve Tate.

LA Ute
12-02-2014, 05:11 PM
I have been quite busy. But I was at the Michigan game. Second year in a row I have suffered through a torrential thundershower game delay. I saw many Utah games this year online, but the quality wasn't great due to inconsistent streaming capabilities ... I had to mask my ip. Saw them give up in the Arizona game. And I made the mistake of going to bed because I thought the WSU game was in the bag ... no way they were going choke that game away :blink: But, seriously, the PAC 12 network can't be distributed on Direct tv? I thought ya'll was all that and more?

I am disappointed. This is the post of a weenie. You are not a weenie.

tooblue
12-02-2014, 05:19 PM
I am disappointed. This is the post of a weenie. You are not a weenie.

If the bun fits ... no, but seriously: no PAC12 network on DirectTV. Man, how am I going to watch any basketball? I will get all of the BYU games.

tooblue
12-02-2014, 05:22 PM
Steve Tate disagrees.

Not that I agree with Steve Tate.

He'll be replacing Tate ... or if he bulks up he will play linebacker.

sancho
12-02-2014, 07:20 PM
I will get all of the BYU games.

I just ran some numbers. By my calculations, you should be able to see about 2 million contested Tyler Haws jumpers this year. Enjoy!

sancho
12-02-2014, 07:22 PM

I'm hoping he wows at QB and ends up being a great starter for us. But if not, I'm happy to know he can play safety too. A great safety can be a difference maker in college football.

Applejack
12-02-2014, 07:50 PM
If the bun fits ... no, but seriously: no PAC12 network on DirectTV. Man, how am I going to watch any basketball? I will get all of the BYU games.

NO! I forgot how much it burns me that Toolblue can't easily watch Utah games. The humanity!

Have you been able to watch last year's Utah BYU football or basketball games yet? I know you were waiting to get them on BYUTV replay.

Applejack
12-02-2014, 08:11 PM
Frankly, I kind of hope that Chase plays safety. I really like having amazing athletes at safety. I know I should want him to play QB, but I really like defense. Is that so bad?

sancho
12-02-2014, 08:22 PM
Frankly, I kind of hope that Chase plays safety. I really like having amazing athletes at safety. I know I should want him to play QB, but I really like defense. Is that so bad?

I love having a good safety. I'm just hoping that either Hansen or Isom is soooo good at QB that there is no doubt at all. That would feel great.

Applejack
12-02-2014, 08:23 PM
I love having a good safety. I'm just hoping that either Hansen or Isom is soooo good at QB that there is no doubt at all. That would feel great.

Sure, obviously we take a great QB over a great safety at this point.

I just don't want a great safety being a mediocre QB.

sancho
12-02-2014, 08:27 PM
]
I just don't want a great safety being a mediocre QB.

We are in agreement. Mediocre QBs are a dime a dozen.

tooblue
12-02-2014, 08:59 PM

Apparently. Utah's got two right now. Kinda sucks though, considering where the Utes could've been as compared to where they are now.

Applejack
12-02-2014, 09:07 PM
Apparently. Utah's got two right now. Kinda sucks though, considering where the Utes could've been as compared to where they are now.

You know about Kendal Thompson? So you watched the UCLA and Oregon State games! Congrats! Weren't those games awesome?!?!?!

utefan
12-02-2014, 09:56 PM
Get Comcast or Dish.

utefan
12-02-2014, 09:59 PM
I'm hoping he wows at QB and ends up being a great starter for us. But if not, I'm happy to know he can play safety too. A great safety can be a difference maker in college football.
Absolutely. He can be the new Blechen.

justaute
12-02-2014, 10:37 PM
If that's the case, I'm hopeful he'd be a better version of Blechen -- faster, takes better angle, reads the offense, etc.

Absolutely. He can be the new Blechen.

U-Ute
12-03-2014, 01:43 PM

I think we have $.20 worth then.

LA Ute
12-03-2014, 02:05 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Maoo2qrdPs8&list=UUU6ZO3Rvf_bT4Fx8iYLsIvQ

Applejack
12-03-2014, 02:08 PM

I love the returned missionary Australian accent.

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-03-2014, 02:11 PM

Kid had a busy first 12 hours home. I don't remember hearing him say "definitely" once, and it's that lack of conviction that makes it look like he's destined for defense.

Diehard Ute
12-03-2014, 02:19 PM
I love the returned missionary Australian accent.

And that he'll be OK going wherever he can be a blessing to the team....yeah he hasn't been in a football environment for a couple years ;)

LA Ute
12-03-2014, 05:10 PM
Just for grins, here is Chase's senior highlights video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSMQK5ry3lo

I'm no judge of high school football talent but he seems to pass the ball better than Travis Wilson's sidearm delivery or Kendal Thompson's hitch delivery.

Also, here's his Utah bio from back in the day:

http://www.utahutes.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/hansen_chase00.html

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-03-2014, 05:34 PM
Just for grins, here is Chase's senior highlights video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSMQK5ry3lo

I'm no judge of high school football talent but he seems to pass the ball better than Travis Wilson's sidearm delivery or Kendal Thompson's hitch delivery.

Also, here's his Utah bio from back in the day:

http://www.utahutes.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/hansen_chase00.html

He's already thrown more touchdowns in RES than all by one of our QBs.

tooblue
12-03-2014, 05:37 PM
He's already thrown more touchdowns in RES than all by one of our QBs.

It's unfortunate he won't get a whiff at QB. Oh, and I guess I should be able to see the big game on tv tonight right? Not the scoreboard feed I hope.

Applejack
12-03-2014, 06:02 PM
It's unfortunate he won't get a whiff at QB. Oh, and I guess I should be able to see the big game on tv tonight right? Not the scoreboard feed I hope.

It's on ESPN2. I really, REALLY hope you have cable so that you can see the game.

Brian
12-03-2014, 06:05 PM
He looks really fast.
Interested to see how he against the next level this spring.

tooblue
12-03-2014, 06:05 PM
It's on ESPN2. I really, REALLY hope you have cable so that you can see the game.

I'm one of 15 million Direct TV subscribers who can get ESPN channels but not the PAC12 network.

tooblue
12-03-2014, 06:06 PM
He looks really fast.
Interested to see how he against the next level this spring.

His throwing motion is a little too similar to Tebow's. He'll need some QB coaching. The staff at the U excels at coaching QB's doesn't it?

Brian
12-03-2014, 06:06 PM

Unless his mom is watching hallmark Christmas movies and won't let him have the remote.

maybe he switch it during commercials.

tooblue
12-03-2014, 06:08 PM
Unless his mom is watching hallmark Christmas movies and won't let him have the remote.

My Mom will be watching the game at home in SLC. My wife has been Netflix binging on Friday Night Lights ... she might not let me have the remote, and I won't fight it. She's learning to like football !!

Brian
12-03-2014, 06:09 PM
His throwing motion is a little too similar to Tebow's. He'll need some QB coaching. The staff at the U excels at coaching QB's doesn't it?

AKA: we didnt want him.

tooblue
12-03-2014, 06:10 PM
AKA: we didnt want him.

Who's we? He would've been developed as a QB at the Y. Too bad for him he is choosing to play at the U, where he will eventually end up as a linebacker.

Scratch
12-03-2014, 06:29 PM
Who's we? He would've been developed as a QB at the Y. Too bad for him he is choosing to play at the U, where he will eventually end up as a linebacker.

Ironically, if the Y's QB were playing safety he'd probably have an NFL career in front of him. And fewer surgeries to his legs.

Jarid in Cedar
12-03-2014, 06:32 PM
I'm one of 15 million Direct TV subscribers who can get ESPN channels but not the PAC12 network.

If you truly cared, you would switch to Dish. You have the option to get the network and choose not to get it.

As it is, you just like to blab on and on about it. Just change or shut your fucking mouth about it. I really don't give a flying fuck that you can't watch the games. That is your choice.

tooblue
12-03-2014, 06:39 PM
Ironically, if the Y's QB were playing safety he'd probably have an NFL career in front of him. And fewer surgeries to his legs.

Possibly. But he's a QB. That's what he wants to play. You'd think a program that desperately needs an offensive system to match it's recognizably successful defensive system would place a higher premium on developing offensive players at this point. Unless you are satisfied that 8 wins is as good as it will ever get.

Senioritis
12-03-2014, 06:39 PM
If you truly cared, you would switch to Dish. You have the option to get the network and choose not to get it.

As it is, you just like to blab on and on about it. Just change or shut your fucking mouth about it. I really don't give a flying fuck that you can't watch the games. That is your choice.

Said with love and concern!

tooblue
12-03-2014, 06:42 PM

15 million people should just switch? It's not that simple. You do realize I can't get it (PAC12 Network) on Dish in the north east where my dish would "virtually" be positioned. Look, either you're big time or you're not.

Senioritis
12-03-2014, 06:46 PM
15 million people should just switch? It's not that simple. You do realize I can't get it (PAC12 Network) on Dish in the north east where my dish would "virtually" be positioned. Look, either you're big time or your not.

I vote for big time. We are big time. I can borrow my brother-in-law's Comcast login and watch every game on my computer. I could never do that with the Mountain.

tooblue
12-03-2014, 06:48 PM
I vote for big time. We are big time. I can borrow my brother-in-law's Comcast login and watch every game on my computer. I could never do that with the Mountain.

That's just technological innovation that wasn't available when the mountain launched ... and speaking of ironic !! Good gravy folks, I thought this was what ya'll was supposedly leaving behind :blink:

Senioritis
12-03-2014, 06:49 PM
That's just technological innovation that wasn't available when the mountain launched ... and speaking of ironic !! Good gravy folks, I thought this was what ya'll was supposedly leaving behind :blink:

I can also listen to every game on KALL 700. But I suppose you don't get that either. Now who is big time?

Jarid in Cedar
12-03-2014, 06:51 PM
15 million people should just switch? It's not that simple. You do realize I can't get it (PAC12 Network) on Dish in the north east where my dish would "virtually" be positioned. Look, either you're big time or you're not.

No, if YOU truly wanted to watch the the network, YOU would switch. I couldn't care less if the station is big time or not. I couldn't care less if 15 million people on DTV can't get it. If they want it, they will switch. I had DTV, and I switched so I could watch the games that I want to watch.

Switch or shut the fuck up. Your shtick is getting old.

tooblue
12-03-2014, 06:53 PM
I can also listen to every game on KALL 700. But I suppose you don't get that either. Now who is big time?

I can listen to KALL 700 also. But man, I'm not 9 years old anymore when that was the ONLY option to experience a game. I will admit the nostalgia of radio game broadcasts is strangely comforting though.

tooblue
12-03-2014, 06:56 PM
No, if YOU truly wanted to watch the the network, YOU would switch. I couldn't care less if the station is big time or not. I couldn't care less if 15 million people on DTV can't get it. If they want it, they will switch. I had DTV, and I switched so I could watch the games that I want to watch.

You're not listening ... even if I switched I wouldn't get the network. I can get all the others. That's the point, apparently lost on dumb-ass and delusional Utah fans.

Brian
12-03-2014, 07:00 PM
You don't have a computer either?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tooblue
12-03-2014, 07:01 PM
You don't have a computer either?

I have to mask my IP.

Senioritis
12-03-2014, 07:01 PM
You're not listening ... even if I switched I wouldn't get the network. I can get all the others. That's the point, apparently lost on dumb-ass and delusional Utah fans.

Do you want to borrow my brother in-laws Comcast login?

Brian
12-03-2014, 07:03 PM
I have some extendible eyes from the weasely brothers magic shop. Just put them in the stadium and your good. I will throw in the ears as well to make a multi sensory experience. Be patient, it takes a while for a parcel to reach northern Alaska.

Brian
12-03-2014, 07:04 PM
I have to mask my IP.

Does your bishop know about this?

Mormon Red Death
12-03-2014, 07:15 PM

Amen. ... no one cares... the only reason to get direct TV is if you have to have the Sunday ticket. However with the red zone channel no one needs that anymore.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Senioritis
12-03-2014, 07:15 PM

I'll be there tonight. Do you want me to FaceTime with you during the entirety of the game?

tooblue
12-03-2014, 07:42 PM
I'll be there tonight. Do you want me to FaceTime with you during the entirety of the game?

That would be awesome!

Jarid in Cedar
12-03-2014, 07:50 PM

It is available in the Northeast with the Multi sports pack(with the BTN and SECN), but you probably already knew that.

Here is another option for you: http://techcrunch.com/2014/08/20/pac-12-networks-live-youtube/ that US citizens don't have.

Again, you can have it if you want. You apparently don't.

Applejack
12-03-2014, 07:58 PM
Toolblue, you aren't listening!!!!! The game is NOT on the Pac-12 network tonight. It is on ESPN2.

Please confirm that you received this message - PM is fine. I am desperate to make sure that you get to see the game tonight.

tooblue
12-03-2014, 08:19 PM
Amen. ... no one cares... the only reason to get direct TV is if you have to have the Sunday ticket. However with the red zone channel no one needs that anymore.

Boy, you and Jarid sure are angry. It isn't my fault you flew all the way to Utah and sat through that weather only to watch the Utes show as much fight as a belly up gold fish against Arizona. Chillax dude.

tooblue
12-03-2014, 08:22 PM
It is available in the Northeast with the Multi sports pack(with the BTN and SECN), but you probably already knew that.

Here is another option for you: http://techcrunch.com/2014/08/20/pac-12-networks-live-youtube/ that US citizens don't have.

Again, you can have it if you want. You apparently don't.

$15 a month? What the ... The PAC12 is big time, and then so are the Utes or so I keep hearing ... :makesnosense:

tooblue
12-03-2014, 08:23 PM
Toolblue, you aren't listening!!!!! The game is NOT on the Pac-12 network tonight. It is on ESPN2.

Please confirm that you received this message - PM is fine. I am desperate to make sure that you get to see the game tonight.

Got it. But you're not watching the game. I'll likely stay up and watch it though.

Mormon Red Death
12-03-2014, 09:30 PM
Boy, you and Jarid sure are angry. It isn't my fault you flew all the way to Utah and sat through that weather only to watch the Utes show as much fight as a belly up gold fish against Arizona. Chillax dude.

? Angry? You just seem to beating a drum that isn't a problem. Anyone that wants to watch the game can.

utefan
12-03-2014, 10:15 PM
$15 a month? What the ... The PAC12 is big time, and then so are the Utes or so I keep hearing ... :makesnosense:
Who is your Internet through? If it's through your cable company, then your account login will probably work on the Pac 12 Network website and you can watch all you want. And if it doesn't work then just call the cable company and tell them you want the Pac 12 Network at no additional charge or you're cancelling.

You don't need to have them actually hook it up to your TV, you just need the login to work on the Pac 12 website so you can stream it to your TV.

Mormon Red Death
12-03-2014, 10:22 PM
Who is your Internet through? If it's through your cable company, then your account login will probably work on the Pac 12 Network website and you can watch all you want. And if it doesn't work then just call the cable company and tell them you want the Pac 12 Network at no additional charge or you're cancelling.

You don't need to have them actually hook it up to your TV, you just need the login to work on the Pac 12 website so you can stream it to your TV.

Don't engage... he lives in Canada and is trying to start a fight that simply doesn't exist.

Solon
12-03-2014, 11:49 PM
Don't engage... he lives in Canada and is trying to start a fight that simply doesn't exist.

The thing is, tooblue is a really nice guy in person. Perhaps the cutest thing I've ever seen is his young (4ish?) canadian son playing miniature golf for the first time, not knowing how it works but figuring it must be just like hockey as he happy gilmored that ball into bolivian.

I don't know why he comes here just to poke people.
I guess twoutes didn't kick his ass hard enough back in the day.

justaute
12-06-2014, 11:15 AM
Watching the TCU game -- I'm just a bit envious of its offense/QB/OC/HC.

sancho
12-06-2014, 11:28 AM
Watching the TCU game -- I'm just a bit envious of its offense/QB/OC/HC.

Well, ISU is comparable to CU/Fresno defensively, so this isn't a great game to look at. But, yes, TCU's offense is 100 miles head of ours.

justaute
12-06-2014, 11:31 AM
I know, but my observation is not just based on this game -- it's been some time.

Well, ISU is comparable to CU/Fresno defensively, so this isn't a great game to look at. But, yes, TCU's offense is 100 miles head of ours.

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-06-2014, 03:44 PM
Comparing the attendance of this Alabama-Mizzou game vs last night's Oregon-Arizona game shows why the SEC is king. Huge full stadium.

sancho
12-06-2014, 07:53 PM
That sound you just heard was Michigan scratching Gary Anderson's name off their coach search list.

sancho
12-08-2014, 06:59 PM
Everyone should read the Tweets from Matt Piper and Kyle Goon tonight. Good stuff about QBs going into the offseason, Booker staying, and a quote from Sitake about football head coach positions.

LA Ute
12-08-2014, 07:04 PM
Everyone should read the Tweets from Matt Piper and Kyle Goon tonight. Good stuff about QBs going into the offseason, Booker staying, and a quote from Sitake about football head coach positions.

https://twitter.com/kylegoon

https://twitter.com/matthew_piper

justaute
12-08-2014, 07:27 PM
My concern... is Whitt's staff sufficiently competent to develop a decent QB. All other PAC12 schools seem to be able to do so. And, just because we have a lot of options, that does not mean we have good options. I have advised plenty of companies that have mediocre executives who make a lot of money.

https://twitter.com/kylegoon

LA Ute
12-09-2014, 07:09 AM
My concern... is Whitt's staff sufficiently competent to develop a decent QB. All other PAC12 schools seem to be able to do so.

Valid concern. There's no evidence that any staff under Whitt has ever done that, apart from 4 straight great games that Brian Johnson played in 2008.

USS Utah
12-09-2014, 10:54 AM

Some Piper quotes:

Said Roderick: "The first conversation I had with the QBs in my very first quarterbacks meeting was, ‘What would our record have been if we could just cut our turnovers in half?’ Which I thought was a very realistic goal. I asked Travis, ‘What if you go from 16 interceptions to eight?’ Which I think is reasonable. ‘How many more games do we win?’ And he said, ‘Probably two or three more games.’ And I said, ‘Exactly.’"

Utah won eight this year, in Year One of a new offense, he said.

With a little continuity, he expects even better play from Utah’s quarterbacks.

Whoever they may be.

Link:

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/1924517-155/utah-football-whittingham-expects-one-or?fullpage=1

More:

Roderick said his QBs can improve in a lot of areas, but he doesn't sweat trading some yards to limit turnovers. "Stats are for losers."

Roderick said offensive continuity is important. It's not an excuse, he said, but it can take years to iron out wrinkles in an offense.

Look, my role isn't to defend Roderick, but the "Stats are for losers" comment doesn't mean he wouldn't love to have great stats ... just that with this team, and this defense and special teams, that the main stat they worried about was turnovers. He doesn't hate TDs.

Btw, this perpetual apologist (me) is thinking Travis Wilson is not the answer at QB.

mpfunk
12-09-2014, 11:08 AM
I know this is early, but 2015 could be special.

Who do do the Utes lose, and who is in line to replace them?

The way things are going now, the Utes will probably finish the 2014 season ranked, and will probably be ranked in the 2015 preseason.

Before the 2014 season all the local media had to say was BYU was going to be undefeated, and Utah was going to be looking for a new coach after a terrible season. OOPS!

Hopefully this season will give the Utes a nice recruiting bump.

Until someone can convince me that Utah can even get serviceable play from the QB position or an offense that can crack the ten best in the Pac-12, I'm going to hold off on expecting a special season.

If there is a good head coach with a worse track record than Whittingham with recruiting and developing QBs, I'd be shocked.

Here is the list of players listed at QB when coming to Utah:

Kevin Dunn
Brett Ratliff
Tommy Grady (transfer)

No QB recruits

Griffin Robles: played in a few games in 2010, moved to LB
Corbin Louks: change of pace QB, transferred after not being named starter in the battle with Wynn and Cain
Chad Manis: moved to LB

Devontae Christopher

Terrance Cain
Jordan Wynn

Brian Blechen
Tyler Schreve

Jon Hays (transfer)

Chase Hansen
Travis Wilson

Conner Manning
Brandon Cox
Micah Thomas

Donovan Isom
Kendal Thompson (transfer)

No QB recruits signed

Look, I'm thrilled that Whittingham has solidified himself at Utah, but this is a problem and it needs to be fixed. You are obviously not going to hit on every QB recruit. However, it would be nice to hit on a few QB recruits. I'm not asking for Utah to get an elite QB, we don't need an elite QB. It would be nice though to get our QB play to the level of serviceable.

Senioritis
12-09-2014, 11:18 AM
Until someone can convince me that Utah can even get serviceable play from the QB position or an offense that can crack the ten best in the Pac-12, I'm going to hold off on expecting a special season.

If there is a good head coach with a worse track record than Whittingham with recruiting and developing QBs, I'd be shocked.

Kevin Dunn
Brett Ratliff
Tommy Grady (transfer)

No QB recruits

Corbin Louks: change of pace QB, transferred after not being named starter in the battle with Wynn and Cain

Devontae Christopher

Terrance Cain
Jordan Wynn

Brian Blechen
Tyler Schreve

Jon Hays (transfer)

Chase Hansen
Travis Wilson

Conner Manning
Brandon Cox
Micah Thomas

Donovan Isom

No QB recruits signed

Look, I'm thrilled that Whittingham has solidified himself at Utah, but this is a problem and it needs to be fixed. You are obviously not going to hit on every QB recruit. However, it would be nice to hit on a few QB recruits. I'm not asking for Utah to get an elite QB, we don't need an elite QB. It would be nice though to get our QB play to the level of serviceable.

I believe there's waaaaayyyyyyy too much heat on Whittingham and the crew based on the results of this season. Not from the message board rodeo of fun, necessarily, but from Ute fans with whom I associate on a face-to-face basis. I also believe you, MPFunk, gots to get on the Ute Train for 2015.

All that said, when you lay it out like this, it's tough to argue anything other than that recruiting of QBs has been, to coin a phrase, pretty darn sucky. That list is as painful to read as a lengthy Mr. Crimson blog post. Really, those are the QBs recruited under Whittingham. That's the list? Whooboy, that's the list?!??

It's gonna get better. We were so spoiled with Mahana the Eight Cow Quarterback, Alex Smith, and Lance Rice on the same roster, and someday we're gonna get back there. In the name of Jonathon Crosswhite, TD Croshaw, and Chris Freaking Mendonca, we're gonna get back there.

mpfunk
12-09-2014, 11:27 AM
I believe there's waaaaayyyyyyy too much heat on Whittingham and the crew based on the results of this season. Not from the message board rodeo of fun, necessarily, but from Ute fans with whom I associate on a face-to-face basis. I also believe you, MPFunk, gots to get on the Ute Train for 2015.

All that said, when you lay it out like this, it's tough to argue anything other than that recruiting of QBs has been, to coin a phrase, pretty darn sucky. That list is as painful to read as a lengthy Mr. Crimson blog post. Really, those are the QBs recruited under Whittingham. That's the list? Whooboy, that's the list?!??

It's gonna get better. We were so spoiled with Mahana the Eight Cow Quarterback, Alex Smith, and Lance Rice on the same roster, and someday we're gonna get back there. In the name of Jonathon Crosswhite, TD Croshaw, and Chris Freaking Mendonca, we're gonna get back there.

I'm on the Utes will have a good season next year and be a good team train. I'm nowhere near the Utes are going to be an elite team and have a special season next year train.

Whittingham shouldn't have heat. He should get an extension right now. He exceeded expectations this year. However, if we ever want to have a great season, he has to fix the offense/QB problems. I never thought I would be nostalgic for Jonathan Crosswhite and TD Croshaw.

Senioritis
12-09-2014, 11:41 AM
I'm on the Utes will have a good season next year and be a good team train. I'm nowhere near the Utes are going to be an elite team and have a special season next year train.

Whittingham shouldn't have heat. He should get an extension right now. He exceeded expectations this year. However, if we ever want to have a great season, he has to fix the offense/QB problems. I never thought I would be nostalgic for Jonathan Crosswhite and TD Croshaw.

I say the Utes win more games in 2015 than they did in 2014. And also stay within three touchdowns of Oregon. Can you give me an amen on that?

Senioritis
12-09-2014, 11:48 AM
I say the Utes win more games in 2015 than they did in 2014. And also stay within three touchdowns of Oregon. Can you give me an amen on that?

And I would also like to know what Train Jarid is on for 2015, although being a measured man of science, he'll probably wait for random stuff like observing spring ball and figuring out who's left on the coaching staff and making sure we actually have any quarterbacks left on the roster before he'll make a proclamation.

Applejack
12-09-2014, 12:06 PM
And I would also like to know what Train Jarid is on for 2015, although being a measured man of science, he'll probably wait for random stuff like observing spring ball and figuring out who's left on the coaching staff and making sure we actually have any quarterbacks left on the roster before he'll make a proclamation.

I'm on that train if we get extra years of eligibility for Tevin Carter, Kaelin Clay, Steve Savoy, Sealver Siliga, Jake Murphy, and Alex Smith.

concerned
12-09-2014, 12:10 PM
I'm on that train if we get extra years of eligibility for Tevin Carter, Kaelin Clay, Steve Savoy, Sealver Siliga, Jake Murphy, and Alex Smith.

Paul Solai played great last night. Lets get him too, even if he doesnt have any eligibility.

sancho
12-09-2014, 12:21 PM

I think you can add Jason Thompson to get the list to 20 names.

All those guys are 2 or 3 star QBs. I don't know what the success rate is on guys in that category, but it can't be high. Of the 20 on the list, 2 have been successful as QBs (Ratliff/Cain). Two have been successful with a position switch (DVC/Blechen). And two haven't had a shot yet (Isom/Hansen).

The middle years were messed up with injuries, near misses in recruiting, Wynn's PTSD, and unexpected transfers. The late years have been messed up with injuries, Wilson's PTSD, and a ridiculous coaching carousel. All the years have been cursed with poor WR corps. Some have been cursed with poor line play.

I think we know what we have if Wilson or Thompson ends up starting next year. We at least know that 8 wins is possible with one of those two. But I think a lot of Utah fans (myself included) are hoping either Isom or Hansen really runs away with the job this Spring.

Applejack
12-09-2014, 01:08 PM
No QB recruits signed

Chad Hekking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UTEopia
12-09-2014, 02:04 PM
Some Piper quotes:

Link:

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/1924517-155/utah-football-whittingham-expects-one-or?fullpage=1

More:

Btw, this perpetual apologist (me) is thinking Travis Wilson is not the answer at QB.

Is there anything to read into the quotes being only from Sitake, ARod, Erickson and Whit? Why no quotes from Christensen?

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-09-2014, 02:07 PM
Is there anything to read into the quotes being only from Sitake, ARod, Erickson and Whit? Why no quotes from Christensen?

Cut the dude some slack. He only has ten more days to find the offense.

Applejack
12-09-2014, 02:09 PM
Cut the dude some slack. He only has ten more days to find the offense.

Is Chase Hansen eligible for the bowl game?

Scratch
12-09-2014, 02:18 PM

The language wasn't suitable for publication by the main-stream media.

Diehard Ute
12-09-2014, 02:23 PM

I'd guess they only made those 4 available

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-09-2014, 02:26 PM
Is Chase Hansen eligible for the bowl game?

Interesting question. Although it would probably eat up a year of eligibility if he is.

I'd guess they only made those 4 available

I guess those who are no longer on the pay roll have no restrictions on who they can talk to.

Sullyute
12-09-2014, 02:27 PM
The language wasn't suitable for publication by the main-stream media.

"You have no !#*&?-ing integrity!"

Scratch
12-09-2014, 03:04 PM
"You have no !#*&?-ing integrity!"

"Look at me, Mr. %#)^ing Howdy Doody!"

sancho
12-09-2014, 04:06 PM

Kevin Dunn
Brett Ratliff
Tommy Grady (transfer)

No QB recruits

Devontae Christopher

Terrance Cain
Jordan Wynn

Brian Blechen
Tyler Schreve

Jon Hays (transfer)

Chase Hansen
Travis Wilson

Conner Manning
Brandon Cox
Micah Thomas

Donovan Isom

No QB recruits signed

Do you wonder if somewhere on some BYU board there's a post like this wondering why all BYU power forwards are so goofy looking? I bet they could go back even further than 2005.

LA Ute
12-09-2014, 04:25 PM
Do you wonder if somewhere on some BYU board there's a post like this wondering why all BYU power forwards are so goofy looking? I bet they could go back even further than 2005.

It's all the inbreeding among tall Mormons that produces that phenomenon.

UtahFanSir
12-09-2014, 05:46 PM
The entire QB issue is a puzzle to me. Alex Smith and Brian Johnson were great, particularly Smith. Since then, I have not been particularly impressed with any of them. I think Corbin Louks may have been the best, but he bolted. In the current lot, who knows, maybe they are all super stars. Every one seems high on Cox and Isom, both young and inexperienced. Maybe the future is in the Thompson Twins, while we have little to go on save for KT hard work ethic and maybe 1-1/2 good games. Perhaps TW could be terrific with different or better coaching depending on how you want to spin that.

If some of you also visit UF.N, I posted a lengthy discourse today on what are the issues with the offense, QB play included.

But honestly, I am flummoxed about why Utah cannot field a better offense in a conference known for great offenses.

Care to help me out?

USS Utah
12-09-2014, 06:23 PM
But honestly, I am flummoxed about why Utah cannot field a better offense in a conference known for great offenses.

The Pac-12 might not be known for great defenses, but it seems clear the most defenses are better than the average MWC defense.

Sullyute
12-09-2014, 06:23 PM
The entire QB issue is a puzzle to me. Alex Smith and Brian Johnson were great, particularly Smith. Since then, I have not been particularly impressed with any of them. I think Corbin Louks may have been the best, but he bolted. In the current lot, who knows, maybe they are all super stars. Every one seems high on Cox and Isom, both young and inexperienced. Maybe the future is in the Thompson Twins, while we have little to go on save for KT hard work ethic and maybe 1-1/2 good games. Perhaps TW could be terrific with different or better coaching depending on how you want to spin that.

If some of you also visit UF.N, I posted a lengthy discourse today on what are the issues with the offense, QB play included.

Care to help me out?

You get a hardy plus 1 from me just for the Thompson Twins reference.

DrumNFeather
12-30-2014, 07:45 AM
Jim Harbaugh's debut vs. Utah on a Thursday night to kick off the college football season...I wonder if ESPN will pony up for that or if we'll see it on Fox Sports 1.

sancho
12-30-2014, 07:51 AM
Jim Harbaugh's debut vs. Utah on a Thursday night to kick off the college football season...I wonder if ESPN will pony up for that or if we'll see it on Fox Sports 1.

Yes, someone has suggested that we retire Alex's jersey.

Old Standing ute
12-30-2014, 07:56 AM

Michigan's schedule (first 4 games):
At Utah
Home against Ore St
Home against UNLV (who cares)
Home against BYU.

We can measure Harbaugh against all the local characters.

sancho
12-30-2014, 08:00 AM
Michigan's schedule (first 4 games):
At Utah
Home against Ore St
Home against UNLV (who cares)
Home against BYU.

We can measure Harbaugh against all the local characters.

Looks like 3-1 to me.

U-Ute
01-02-2015, 10:45 AM
Looks like 3-1 to me.

All in all a pretty gutsy call considering that, for all we know, we may be a wishbone team next year.

DrumNFeather
01-12-2015, 10:44 AM
Per the tweeter, Devonte Booker officially staying for 2015.

Sullyute
01-12-2015, 10:52 AM

:rave:

LA Ute
01-12-2015, 12:02 PM

Once Kyle said on the air that Booker was "leaning" towards staying, I figured it was a done deal.

That aside, :jig:

LA Ute
01-12-2015, 12:40 PM
On the Booker decision, here's the tweet everyone seems to be relying on:

https://twitter.com/DTuimaugaRivals/status/554692926975262720

mUUser
01-12-2015, 01:12 PM

Awesome. But maybe we can upgrade with a 4 star back? :D

UBlender
01-12-2015, 03:12 PM
Awesome. But maybe we can upgrade with a 4 star back? :D

Brilliant.

U-Ute
01-12-2015, 04:41 PM
Shulz transferring to Houston.

https://twitter.com/matthew_piper/status/554784783612379136

Backup quarterback Adam Schulz is transferring to Houston.

LA Ute
01-12-2015, 04:42 PM
Shulz transferring to Houston.

https://twitter.com/matthew_piper/status/554784783612379136

Good for him. I wish Adam well.

jrj84105
01-12-2015, 04:54 PM
Good for him. It will be interesting to see what kind of offense Herman/Applewhite put together down there and if Adam is a better fit there.

LA Ute
01-12-2015, 05:14 PM
Maybe he'll get a shot at BYU during his time there.

NorthwestUteFan
01-12-2015, 05:37 PM
Maybe he'll get a shot at BYU during his time there.

He will be a SR and byu isn't on the schedule next year. But they will play a byu schedule...

UConn, UCF, Vanderbilt, Memphis, Tulsa.

Good luck Adam, I hope you tear it up next year!

LA Ute
01-13-2015, 10:15 PM
Jon Wilner has his "ridiculously early college football top 25 for 2015" out. Utah is #23. "Would be higher if not for the coaching staff upheaval The running game should be first class once again." FWIW.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegesports/2015/01/13/my-ridiculously-early-college-football-top-25-for-2015-ohio-state-is-no-1/

Diehard Ute
01-14-2015, 03:17 PM
#Bookmode is officially back for 2015

https://twitter.com/utahathletics/status/555488187271741440

NorthwestUteFan
01-14-2015, 03:43 PM

This is good news. I think Dennis Erickson can coax a truly special season out of him next year.

As a side note I will say that Robert Turbin may be the most gifted and best prepared RB to ever go to any school in Utah. He was fast, fairly shifty, and was stronger than nearly every D Lineman out there. He is putting together some decent stats for a backup RB in the NFL, but the Seahawks will experience a dramatic drop off if Marshawn Lynch leaves next year.

In summary I am glad that Devontae Booker will return next year and will graduate. I would hate for him to leave early only to sit at the end of the bench, assuming he makes a roster.

Diehard Ute
01-14-2015, 03:45 PM
This is good news. I think Dennis Erickson can coax a truly special season out of him next year.

As a side note I will say that Robert Turbin may be the most gifted and best prepared RB to ever go to any school in Utah. He was fast, fairly shifty, and was stronger than nearly every D Lineman out there. He is putting together some decent stats for a backup RB in the NFL, but the Seahawks will experience a dramatic drop off if Marshawn Lynch leaves next year.

In summary I am glad that Devontae Booker will return next year and will graduate. I would hate for him to leave early only to sit at the end of the bench, assuming he makes a roster.

I think it's the best move all around for Devontae and the team

I also think DC moving along is playing out now. Twitter has calmed immensely since he was announced as leaving. The players on the offensive side of the ball seem more committed and comfortable

Sullyute
01-14-2015, 04:33 PM
I also think DC moving along is playing out now. Twitter has calmed immensely since he was announced as leaving. The players on the offensive side of the ball seem more committed and comfortable

Still surprises me that one guy could be so corrosive to a team (players and coaches). I am glad that Erickson is around to mellow his after effects.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-14-2015, 05:24 PM

Hopefully he was able to leverage the whole thing into committing someone to take the damn mountains off the sleeves next season.

I'm glad he's staying. Maybe even more for him than the program. I've hated watching the last few guys declare early only to watch selection Sunday conclude without ever getting the phone call. Here's to putting together a season that makes that call a near certainty!

Applejack
01-15-2015, 07:46 AM

:jig:

:highfive:

:utes::clap:

UTEopia
01-15-2015, 09:20 AM
So a too early look at the two-deep?

Offense:

I believe WR and QB are the two offensive position where there is playing time up for grabs and WR is a place where newcomers could come in and immediately contribute. QB will be an interesting battle. If the OC comes from the current staff, my guess is that Travis is the starter and Manning the back-up. K Thompson will have his own package of plays. I predict that J Thompson moves to any of a number of places (safety, LB, slot). It will be interesting to see what happens with Cox, Hansen and Isom.

Before everyone freaks out about Manning as the primary backup, I think we will run a spread offense and the read option will be an element of the offense when there is a running QB but the offense will be designed to not have a running QB.

WR - Patrick/Young
WR - Scott/ Singleton
WR - MCcClellon/Field
TE - Fakailoatonga/Handley
LT - Dielman/Albers/Barton
LG - Asiata/Nowakowski
C - Aiono/Lutui
RG - Uhatafe/Falemaka
RT - Tevi/Barton
RB - Booker/Bubba/McCormick
QB - Most interesting off season question: Wilson, K Thompson, J Thompson, Manning, Cox, Isom, Hansen

Defense:
We still need some depth at LB and in the defensive backfield. There should be some good battles at DB both in the spring and into the fall.

DE: Dimick/Fitts/Taumopenu
DT: Lotuleilei/Tuikolovaka/Havili
DT: Shepherd/Fauonoku/Mokofisi
DE: Fanaika/Gonzalez
LB: Norris/Sanders-Williams
LB: Paul/Whittingham
LB: Masina/Whittingham
CB: Porter/Hobbs
CB: Domo/Hughes
S: Carter/Christian
S: Williams/Godfrey
N: Thomas

U-Ute
01-15-2015, 10:35 AM
Cardale Jones

https://twitter.com/CJ12_/status/555775676750778368

Life changing decision at 3pm https://abs.twimg.com/emoji/v1/72x72/1f601.png

I assume this is where he announces he is coming to Utah because he is following Urban who will be our OC.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-15-2015, 11:09 AM
Cardale Jones

https://twitter.com/CJ12_/status/555775676750778368

I assume this is where he announces he is coming to Utah because he is following Urban who will be our OC.

Would he be the first kid to declare early for the NFL after starting three whole games?

NorthwestUteFan
01-15-2015, 02:28 PM
Will he go earlier than the fifth round? Will anybody take a big risk on a QB without much in the way of real game experience?

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-15-2015, 02:59 PM
Will he go earlier than the fifth round? Will anybody take a big risk on a QB without much in the way of real game experience?

Sounds like he's decided to stay and get a few more games under his belt. Phew.

NorthwestUteFan
01-15-2015, 03:15 PM
Sounds like he's decided to stay and get a few more games under his belt. Phew.

I wonder if he will be able to beat out Braxton Miller in spring camp?

sancho
01-15-2015, 03:29 PM
I wonder if he will be able to beat out Braxton Miller in spring camp?

I think that's backwards. Wonder if Braxton can beat him? Jones has to be the frontrunner, right? After the Wisconsin, Bama, Oregon sweep?

I've heard people say Miller will stay, but that guy is in a perfect spot for the graduating transfer rule. He really should transfer. I'm sure there are a lot of great teams who would love to have him, including the "team up north."

LA Ute
01-15-2015, 05:15 PM
I think that's backwards. Wonder if Braxton can beat him? Jones has to be the frontrunner, right? After the Wisconsin, Bama, Oregon sweep?

I've heard people say Miller will stay, but that guy is in a perfect spot for the graduating transfer rule. He really should transfer. I'm sure there are a lot of great teams who would love to have him, including the "team up north."

Maybe Urban will gift him to Kyle.

Scorcho
01-26-2015, 10:28 AM
in a region where it's not uncommon to marry yer cousin, North Carolina (ACC) just scheduled Wake Forest (ACC) as a non-conference game.

:blink:

Scorcho
01-26-2015, 12:05 PM
UCF is installing a beach into its stadium

https://ucfknights.exposure.co/esc

UTEopia
02-05-2015, 07:46 AM
With the 2015 recruiting class now in the books, it is time to turn our attention to what this means to the 2015 season outlook. Here are my takes on a couple of position groups. I will add to this in the next few days.

OL

The position group that probably improved most with the 2015 recruiting class is the OL. Although the Utes return 4 full-time starters (Aiono Sr., Asiata Jr., Dielman Jr. and Uhatafe So.) and 2 others who started one or two games (Lutui Jr. and Nowakowski Jr.) 5 of those 6 are upper classmen and we will need to have guys ready to step in and contribute in the next few years. Add the recent additions ( Capra, Carman, Dixon and Paulo) to the others already in the program (Falemaka So. and Barton RSFr) and you have a strong group. I expect OL to continue to show improvement this coming year because they have worked together and with Coach Harding for a year and because they will be running the same offense using the same terminology. As a result they can work on improving their technique as opposed to trying to remember exactly what they are supposed to do. I expect that we will see Dielman move from RT to LT and that there will be a battle between Albers Sr., Tevi Jr. and Barton RSFr for the RT position and the primary tackle position backup.

WR

In my opinion in addition to OL , WR is the position group that most needed an upgrade in numbers and talent. However, unlike OL where we have a number of proven returning starters, the WR group really has only one guy who is a proven commodity and I am not sure at this time whether this recruiting class provides the infuse of talent needed for 2015 and moving forward. We will just need to wait and see. We have a sure handed possession receiver in K Scott Sr. as well as T Patrick Sr, who we saw a little from before season ending injury, returning as well as journeymen D McClellon Jr, J Field So, and K Young. This latter group all saw action but none showed that he can consistently contribute big numbers at the receiver position. Returning from a season ending injury a year ago is good sized WR R Singleton, who I expect would have been in the rotation a year ago if he had not been injured. The incoming class adds freshmen Alfred Smith and Britain Covey, two guys I expect we will see in the slot, George Wilson and Tyrone Smith, bigger outside receivers, and JUCO Deniko Carter, also a bigger outside receiver. If that group cannot get it done, It is possible that JUCO transfers Corey Butler and Kyle Fulks, both currently slated to start out at CB, could get a look at WR. While our passing game will require improvement from the QB position, it will also require some unproven guys to step up and demand that the ball be thrown to them. WR is a huge question mark going into spring and with so many guys not joining that group until Fall camp, I don’t believe anything will be settled until a week or so before the fighting Jim Harbaugh’s arrive in SLC.

Hot Lunch
02-05-2015, 11:15 AM
With the 2015 recruiting class now in the books, it is time to turn our attention to what this means to the 2015 season outlook. Here are my takes on a couple of position groups. I will add to this in the next few days.

OL

The position group that probably improved most with the 2015 recruiting class is the OL. Although the Utes return 4 full-time starters (Aiono Sr., Asiata Jr., Dielman Jr. and Uhatafe So.) and 2 others who started one or two games (Lutui Jr. and Nowakowski Jr.) 5 of those 6 are upper classmen and we will need to have guys ready to step in and contribute in the next few years. Add the recent additions ( Capra, Carman, Dixon and Paulo) to the others already in the program (Falemaka So. and Barton RSFr) and you have a strong group. I expect OL to continue to show improvement this coming year because they have worked together and with Coach Harding for a year and because they will be running the same offense using the same terminology. As a result they can work on improving their technique as opposed to trying to remember exactly what they are supposed to do. I expect that we will see Dielman move from RT to LT and that there will be a battle between Albers Sr., Tevi Jr. and Barton RSFr for the RT position and the primary tackle position backup.

WR

In my opinion in addition to OL , WR is the position group that most needed an upgrade in numbers and talent. However, unlike OL where we have a number of proven returning starters, the WR group really has only one guy who is a proven commodity and I am not sure at this time whether this recruiting class provides the infuse of talent needed for 2015 and moving forward. We will just need to wait and see. We have a sure handed possession receiver in K Scott Sr. as well as T Patrick Sr, who we saw a little from before season ending injury, returning as well as journeymen D McClellon Jr, J Field So, and K Young. This latter group all saw action but none showed that he can consistently contribute big numbers at the receiver position. Returning from a season ending injury a year ago is good sized WR R Singleton, who I expect would have been in the rotation a year ago if he had not been injured. The incoming class adds freshmen Alfred Smith and Britain Covey, two guys I expect we will see in the slot, George Wilson and Tyrone Smith, bigger outside receivers, and JUCO Deniko Carter, also a bigger outside receiver. If that group cannot get it done, It is possible that JUCO transfers Corey Butler and Kyle Fulks, both currently slated to start out at CB, could get a look at WR. While our passing game will require improvement from the QB position, it will also require some unproven guys to step up and demand that the ball be thrown to them. WR is a huge question mark going into spring and with so many guys not joining that group until Fall camp, I don’t believe anything will be settled until a week or so before the fighting Jim Harbaugh’s arrive in SLC.

My biggest position concern for 2015 is Wide Out. I love Scott but like you said, he is a possession receiver and a good one at that. On film, this Carter kid looks like he can stretch the field. I do understand that he still has some academic hurdles to clear up before we see him in the fall. Young and McCelleon need to grow up really fast and make and need to become play makers. Both have the speed to do so, lets just hope they get the confidence and maturity to make it happen on Saturdays this fall. Here is hoping that we might find a Tim Patrick Sr. over the next couple of months that might have slipped through the cracks yesterday.

2015 is a big year for this program. We have the talent coming back and need to prove that last year was not just a one-time thing.

sancho
02-05-2015, 11:24 AM
Both have the speed to do so, lets just hope they get the confidence and maturity to make it happen

The more I see fast WRs fail, the more I understand that speed is a necessary but not sufficient condition. I think route running is much more difficult than it sounds.

Diehard Ute
02-05-2015, 11:30 AM
I'm curious to see what Scott can do next year with a more healthy body and a better coaching staff

It's pretty obvious no one in the throw game liked DC or the way he coached. They're all excited about A-Rod and Harding. And while Pease is on the other side of the ball I've seen nothing but positive thoughts from the players on him as well.

I know some aren't sold on Stubblefield and he certainly has more he can show, but Deniko and Clay have both tweeted about him as a coach and a recruiter in a positive way so at least there's that.

It'll be interesting to see how the WR corps shapes up.

concerned
02-05-2015, 12:06 PM
I'm curious to see what Scott can do next year with a more healthy body and a better coaching staff

It's pretty obvious no one in the throw game liked DC or the way he coached. They're all excited about A-Rod and Harding. And while Pease is on the other side of the ball I've seen nothing but positive thoughts from the players on him as well.

I know some aren't sold on Stubblefield and he certainly has more he can show, but Deniko and Clay have both tweeted about him as a coach and a recruiter in a positive way so at least there's that.

It'll be interesting to see how the WR corps shapes up.

Also be interesting to see what Scott can do when he is not the third option, and doesn't have anybody focusing on Dres or Clay.

LA Ute
02-05-2015, 12:19 PM
2015 is a big year for this program. We have the talent coming back and need to prove that last year was not just a one-time thing.

Agree 100%.

LA Ute
02-08-2015, 01:57 PM
Here's a 20-minute interview with A-Rod that I think is pretty interesting. He talks a bit about his plans for the offense.

http://kfanav.s3.amazonaws.com/20150206_020615-aaron-roderick-WEB.mp3

If the passing game looks like it did in 2010 up through the Iowa State game (before Jordan Wynn got hurt), then I think there will be a lot for us to like.

Utah
02-09-2015, 08:44 AM
For those who have lost all faith in Wilson, take heart. I was reamed last summer for saying that Wilson would be a top 6 QB in the PAC-12 in QBR.

As "terrible" as his season was, he came in at #7.

There was tier 1, the Mariota tier. He came in at 90.9 QBR.

Then came tier 2, the 70's. Kessler (79), Hundley (76), Goff (75).

Then comes tier 3, "the upper class man". Hogan (68), Kelly (64), and Wilson (63).

The point? Wilson had a solid year last year. There is a reason why we won 9 games, and it isn't because Wilson is the worst QB in the PAC-12. He isnt. Not even close. He finished above Halliday, Falk, Mannion and Anu Solomon.

With all the TO at QB, Wilson goes out with a bang and finishes top 4 in the PAC-12 next year.

NorthwestUteFan
02-09-2015, 10:22 AM
How do you rank TW ahead of Connor Halliday? All I can think of is the game differential. Travis played ~11.5 games and Connor was hurt at the start of his 9th. And Travis was a far better runner (309 yds, 5 TDs).

Halliday: 354 of 526 (67.3% ), 3873 yds, 32 TDs, 11 Ints. 145.0 QB rating.

Wilson: 190 of 313 (60.7% ), 2170 yds, 18 TDs, 5 Ints. 134.7 QB rating.

If you nondimensionalize the numbers based on total games played (8.25 for CH, 11.5 for TW), you get an entirely different picture.

Halliday: 3.9 TD, 1.3 Int, 470 YD per game.

TW: 1.5 TD, 0.4 Int, 189 YD per game.

Wilson was serviceable and I love his intensity. But I want to see him increase his accuracy and (especially) his touch on the short passes. Too many drives last year stalled after a 90 mph fastball pass thrown above and behind an open receiver, or batter out of bounds because he threw at a receiver pinned at the sideline with two defenders in his face.

Connor Halliday would have taken the 2014 Utes to an NY6 bowl, or perhaps even to the Playoff.

utefan
02-09-2015, 11:23 AM
How do you rank TW ahead of Connor Halliday? All I can think of is the game differential. Travis played ~11.5 games and Connor was hurt at the start of his 9th. And Travis was a far better runner (309 yds, 5 TDs).

Halliday: 354 of 526 (67.3% ), 3873 yds, 32 TDs, 11 Ints. 145.0 QB rating.

Wilson: 190 of 313 (60.7% ), 2170 yds, 18 TDs, 5 Ints. 134.7 QB rating.

If you nondimensionalize the numbers based on total games played (8.25 for CH, 11.5 for TW), you get an entirely different picture.

Halliday: 3.9 TD, 1.3 Int, 470 YD per game.

TW: 1.5 TD, 0.4 Int, 189 YD per game.

Wilson was serviceable and I love his intensity. But I want to see him increase his accuracy and (especially) his touch on the short passes. Too many drives last year stalled after a 90 mph fastball pass thrown above and behind an open receiver, or batter out of bounds because he threw at a receiver pinned at the sideline with two defenders in his face.

Connor Halliday would have taken the 2014 Utes to an NY6 bowl, or perhaps even to the Playoff.
Connor Halliday would have probably had numbers similar to Wilson's on the 2014 Utes. Unless Whittingham agrees to let the offense loose, then you won't get much from the QB no matter who he is.

I honestly believe that last year, in most games, Whittingham would have rather seen an 8 minute drive that ended in a field goal rather than an 80 yard touchdown pass on the first play of the drive. Hopefully that changes, but there's no other way to explain what happened last year, especially in that Arizona State game.

jrj84105
02-09-2015, 11:52 AM
DC's offense was more about spreading the defense laterally which is better for a QB who has a precise but weak arm and elusive running abilities. That is not TW. TW was much better off in DE's offense that put more emphasis on spreading the defense vertically. I think he'll be better in 2015 if we simplify the routes (no more option routes) and stretch the field vertically with more deep passes. The thing that bothered me most with DC was that when we had a strong first down leaving 2nd and short that we typically went right back to Booker to move the chains with a 3 yard run rather than take a shot down field. It seemed like DC prefered to go deep on first down or when we were in third and long rather than being opportunistic against a stacked box. I just found it frustrating that TW wasn't smart enough in DC's eyes to make a presnap read (something he managed to some degree with DE) but he had to be able to make complex post snap reads on option routes.

LA Ute
02-09-2015, 12:03 PM
I just found it frustrating that TW wasn't smart enough in DC's eyes to make a presnap read (something he managed to some degree with DE) but he had to be able to make complex post snap reads on option routes.

This is something I'd like to know more about: TW's ability to make pre-snap reads. Insiders tell me Jordan Wynn was especially good at that, which may be why he did so well with A-Rod's offense in 2010. Can Travis make those reads?

jrj84105
02-09-2015, 12:59 PM
This is something I'd like to know more about: TW's ability to make pre-snap reads. Insiders tell me Jordan Wynn was especially good at that, which may be why he did so well with A-Rod's offense in 2010. Can Travis make those reads?

Jordan Wynn (post-injury) sort of drove me crazy with the presnap reads. Sometimes, the presnap activities were more entertaining than what happened during the play because Wynn would sequentially send every guy in motion until either A) the O-line jumped B) the playclock ran out C) the D showed something to justify a checkdown to the RB or a throw out of bounds.

I think DE's constraint plays [ http://smartfootball.com/offense/the-original-one-back-spread-offense&rct=j&frm=1&q=&esrc=s&sa=U&ei=sw3ZVK-CG9HYoAS034LgCg&ved=0CBYQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNHT3GEj1VqWJtl_BSxI7HOH4LvwGw ] gave TW some really simple presnap reads that resulted in a LOT of big plays prior to Wilson's hand injury. It was at times pretty easy sitting in the stadium in 2013 to watch the safeties creep up and know that TW was going to toss it to Dres downfield. I also think that the bubble screens against Stanford were the longest sequence of constraint plays ever run by a DE offense. There were so many times in 2014 when both safeties were cheating way up and TW didn't/couldn't opt to chuck it downfield, and everything I've heard makes it sound like TW was no longer allowed to make that read in 2014. I think the article also notes that option routes are a key component of DE's passing game, but I'm pretty sure that DE limited those as WR/QB misreads I think resulted in a few of the WTF interceptions where it looked like TW was throwing straight to a defender. I think TW's decisions to quickly tuck and run may have had something to do with him not feeling comfortable reading the option routes and wanting to avoid the interceptions that resulted from his misreads in 2013. I think we went a lot further into 2014 before we went back to more structured routes.

I'm throwing this out not becuase I know with any certainty at all, but becuase saying something wrong is more likely to elicit the correct answer than asking a question.

NorthwestUteFan
02-09-2015, 01:49 PM
Jrj I buy what you are saying about Connor Halliday vs Travis Wilson (and further recognize that Crazy Pirate uses the short passing game instead of a running game).

However I still contend that CH's exceptional touch and accuracy would have borne tremendous fruit in our offense last year.

But then again you are correct that a DC offense without the Read Option would not have been very effective.

jrj84105
02-09-2015, 01:54 PM
DC couldn't have made it work with either Halliday or Wilson, because he is so inflexible and incapable of working around their individual deficiencies. Add that to being a jerk of epic proportions. I still wonder if Brett Smith's ill-advised decision to declare was because he couldn't stomach another year under DC.

jrj84105
02-09-2015, 02:17 PM
On to something that nobody will agree with-

I think we'll run a two QB system in 2015.

A) KW hired a 25 year old BJ to run his "multiples" offense because that is what KW really wants. He wants an offense that can change identity to suit the demands of the individual game. If KW's defense is struggling, he wants a spread to pass offense that can score 35 in a hurry by airing it out and stretching the field. If KW's defense is dominating, he wants a pro-style offense that can sustain an 8 minute 80 yard drive without throwing the ball once. To do that, you need a QB who has at least an average arm, at least average accuracy, at least average running ability, and nothing less than supreme intelligence to know when to do what. Essentially, he needs Alex Smith at QB. We don't have that guy on the roster in 2015 unless Isom or Hansen really blossom.
B) KW has gone back to Co-OC's where he want's DC's running game (predicated on read option with a very mobile/running QB) and ARod's passing game (predicated on a smart QB who can make reads and throw). Again, we don't have a QB who can do all those things.
C) The counter to running 2 QBs is that the QB never gets in a rythm. Well, we haven't had a QB in a rythm since Iowa State in 2010, so we really aren't risking much. In fact, 2014 showed that switching QBs midgame was actually very effective for us in giving the defense something they hadn't prepared for.
D) The last time ARod was semi-in charge, we went into 2012 with the intention of having a two QB system with Wynn and Chase Hansen. After injuries, it devolved into Hays filling Wynn's role, and Wilson filling Hansen's. Wilson wasn't much worse at the Wynn role, so it went to Wilson fulltime. That doesn't change the fact that we entered the season with a two QB system in place.

Throughout Witt's tenure, we've seen Utah run a special package for a running QB on multiple occasions- maybe more seasons than not. I think we'll see that again next year with phase A of the offense featuring one of TW/Manning/Isom and resembling a bit of an ARod/DE hybrid with a single back and nominal read option elements and a phase B offense with one of KT/Cox/Hansen featuring one or two backs (add McCormick/Poole) and a DC-like offense. I think the success will depend on the extent to which they can keep the O-line assignments the same in both phases and the extent to which they can overlap the short passing elements. It could work or it could look like 2012 when opponents knew exactly what we were running based on personnel and alignment.

U-Ute
02-09-2015, 02:37 PM
I suspect that part of this is Whittingham's belief (backed by stats) that your QB will rarely play every snap in a season. There are just too many injuries.

Utah
02-09-2015, 03:49 PM
I didn't rank Wilson ahead of Halliday. Those are the QBR ratings. They basically cover passing, running, yards in the air, yards after the catch, etc.

In QBR, Wilson was the 7th best QB in the PAC-12. He was statistically more important to his team than those other QB's, including Solomon, Halliday and Mannion.

He isn't great, but he isn't as bad as everyone thinks.

He did progress last year and he should continue to progress this year.

LA Ute
02-11-2015, 03:57 PM
Utah’s football season ticket prices are up — here’s how much, where and why (http://www.sltrib.com/blogs/uofusports/2169110-155/utahs-football-season-ticket-prices-are)I guess I feel sort of happy that I am helping to pay for Kyle's new contract.

SoCalPat
02-11-2015, 04:20 PM
Utah’s football season ticket prices are up — here’s how much, where and why (http://www.sltrib.com/blogs/uofusports/2169110-155/utahs-football-season-ticket-prices-are)

I guess I feel sort of happy that I am helping to pay for Kyle's new contract.

It appears season tix will be more expensive in odd numbered years (7 game skeds) and cheaper in even numbered years (6 game skeds)

SoCalPat
02-11-2015, 04:27 PM
Also, be prepared to not see any marquee non-conference games until the stadium expands. We're not going to Ann Arbor to get $1 million only to give Michigan $600,000. You gotta make up that difference somehow. Maybe if we have a prime TV spot to offer (opening Thursday) we can use that as a carrot. Michigan ain't coming to SLC to play a Saturday game, you can bet that. As a result, it's also why, in order to "expand" our presence, we gotta play Northern Illinois instead of Illinois.

(On a related note, if we're to seriously contend for a national title after this year, it would behoove us greatly for BYU to be labeled as a P5-worthy opponent. Baylor finds our non-con slates from 2016 onward laughable.)

concerned
02-11-2015, 04:29 PM
It appears season tix will be more expensive in odd numbered years (7 game skeds) and cheaper in even numbered years (6 game skeds)

Wanna bet that prices don't go down next year or other years with six games?

concerned
02-11-2015, 04:30 PM
Also, be prepared to not see any marquee non-conference games until the stadium expands. We're not going to Ann Arbor to get $1 million only to give Michigan $600,000. You gotta make up that difference somehow. Maybe if we have a prime TV spot to offer (opening Thursday) we can use that as a carrot. Michigan ain't coming to SLC to play a Saturday game, you can bet that. As a result, it's also why, in order to "expand" our presence, we gotta play Northern Illinois instead of Illinois.

(On a related note, if we're to seriously contend for a national title after this year, it would behoove us greatly for BYU to be labeled as a P5-worthy opponent. Baylor finds our non-con slates from 2016 onward laughable.)

So we will be like BYU--play all our marquee non-conference games on the road? that is depressing.

Scratch
02-11-2015, 04:33 PM

Every H-H I've ever seen, including with Michigan, has equal payouts going back and forth. The general understanding with a H-H is that it's a financial push for the two teams.

UTEopia
02-11-2015, 04:41 PM
Every H-H I've ever seen, including with Michigan, has equal payouts going back and forth. The general understanding with a H-H is that it's a financial push for the two teams.

That is my understanding as well. Most of the time it is a small guarantee like 250k so the home team keeps most of the gate.

SoCalPat
02-11-2015, 04:44 PM
That is my understanding as well. Most of the time it is a small guarantee like 250k so the home team keeps most of the gate.

I gotta see more H-H with marquee programs on the docket if that truly is the case. I find it a little disturbing that we've signed all of one marquee non-con (read: P5) opponent in the five years since it was known we'd be in the Pac-12.

Scratch
02-11-2015, 04:53 PM

Yep. One-and-dones will be for a lot more (usually in the 750-1.25 range). I don't think I've ever seen an unequal H-H, nor do I think I've ever seen one for over 300K. Now, the buyouts for a game in a H-H will usually be in the 750K-1M range.

Scratch
02-11-2015, 04:55 PM
I gotta see more H-H with marquee programs on the docket if that truly is the case. I find it a little disturbing that we've signed all of one marquee non-con (read: P5) opponent in the five years since it was known we'd be in the Pac-12.

H-H deals aren't about the money as much as they're about other considerations (SOS weighed with likelihood of winning, location of the game, etc.).

SoCalPat
02-11-2015, 05:12 PM
H-H deals aren't about the money as much as they're about other considerations (SOS weighed with likelihood of winning, location of the game, etc.).

I think in the playoff era, those factors are mitigated somewhat, if not significantly.

Utah
02-11-2015, 05:21 PM
Honestly, At this point, I'd rather have 9 win seasons with a weak OOC schedule than an awesome OOC and 5-7 wins.

Until recruiting picks up, I want wins. Until we win the south, I want wins. Until we win the PAC-12, I want wins. If that means 1 FCS, 1 weak MWC and then 1 semi good mid major (this is where BYU falls), but more home games (at least 7 per year) and 8-10 wins every year and being ranked...I'll take that over a tough OOC schedule with 6 home games and a 6 win season.

Utah
02-11-2015, 05:25 PM
I think goal #1 right now should be 7 home games every year.

If that means weak OOC, I'm ok with that. If it means USU, BYU and Weber St all at home, but 7 home games, great.

Once we get 7 home games, our wins will improve. Once wins improve, recruiting improves. Better recruits = more consistent winning. Then comes south titles. Then comes PAC-12 titles. Then comes playoffs.

IF we get snubbed from the playoffs, ala Baylor, THEN I'll look at OOC scheduling.

Yeah, Baylor was snubbed, but FSU wasn't.

UTEopia
02-11-2015, 06:27 PM
Utah’s football season ticket prices are up — here’s how much, where and why (http://www.sltrib.com/blogs/uofusports/2169110-155/utahs-football-season-ticket-prices-are)

I guess I feel sort of happy that I am helping to pay for Kyle's new contract.

I don't have any complaint about my tickets.

We have 2 tickets in NEZ and 2 in W14.

Our tickets in NEZ have gone from $25 per ticket to $26.42 + $2.00 Stadium enhancement fee.

Our W14 tickets have gone from $56.66 to $60.00 + $2.00 Stadium enhancement fee.

No increase to CC.

That comes out to $90 per ticket for the W14 seats including the CC payment.

LA Ute
02-11-2015, 06:44 PM
I don't have any complaint about my tickets.

We have 2 tickets in NEZ and 2 in W14.

Our tickets in NEZ have gone from $25 per ticket to $26.42 + $2.00 Stadium enhancement fee.

Our W14 tickets have gone from $56.66 to $60.00 + $2.00 Stadium enhancement fee.

No increase to CC.

That comes out to $90 per ticket for the W14 seats including the CC payment.

I have no complaints either, to be clear. Just thought the article was interesting.

DrumNFeather
02-13-2015, 01:13 PM
Whit said on Kfan that Jason Thompson is moving to Safety.

6 QBs remain...

Utah
02-13-2015, 03:05 PM

6 QBs remain...

I think Thompson and Carter will be amazing this fall. Our defense will be NASTY.

Paul, Pease and Carter running the defense?

NASTY.

Dwight Schr-Ute
02-13-2015, 03:29 PM

6 QBs remain...

Wilson
Thompson
Cox
Manning
Isom
????

With Schulz transferring, we're down to five, right?

concerned
02-13-2015, 03:42 PM
Wilson
Thompson
Cox
Manning
Isom
????

With Schulz transferring, we're down to five, right?

Chase Hansen. KW said specifically that he would get a shot in the spring.

LA Ute
02-13-2015, 04:05 PM
Chase Hansen. KW said specifically that he would get a shot in the spring.

I've come to think of Chase Hansen as kind if an X factor. He might be something special at QB. Then again, he may become a great safety.

Dwight Schr-Ute
02-13-2015, 04:19 PM
That's right. I had somehow forgotten that he never transferred to BYU.

LA Ute
02-13-2015, 04:22 PM
That's right. I had somehow forgotten that he never transferred to BYU.

:rofl:

LA Ute
02-20-2015, 11:42 PM
We are ranked 24th here. Kinda cool.

Best College Football Programs (https://colleges.niche.com/rankings/best-college-football-programs/?source=fb_cfb)https://colleges.niche.com/images/thumbnail/best-college-football-programs/300/300/
Best College Football Programs ranks 654 colleges based on game attendance, student ratings, bowl appearances, NCAA Championships, and NFL alumni. A high college football ranking indicates that the program has a rabid fan base, quality bowl game appearances, and a strong NFL alumni presence.

This ranking looks at historical data and generally reflects the top college football programs since 2000.

https://colleges.niche.com/rankings/best-college-football-programs/?source=fb_cfb

chrisrenrut
02-21-2015, 07:58 AM
We are ranked 24th here. Kinda cool.

Best College Football Programs (https://colleges.niche.com/rankings/best-college-football-programs/?source=fb_cfb)

https://colleges.niche.com/images/thumbnail/best-college-football-programs/300/300/
Best College Football Programs ranks 654 colleges based on game attendance, student ratings, bowl appearances, NCAA Championships, and NFL alumni. A high college football ranking indicates that the program has a rabid fan base, quality bowl game appearances, and a strong NFL alumni presence.

This ranking looks at historical data and generally reflects the top college football programs since 2000.

https://colleges.niche.com/rankings/best-college-football-programs/?source=fb_cfb

That is kind of a weird list. We are ranked just ahead of Mount Union and Appalachan State, who are both just ahead of Texas A & M and UCLA.

Just goes to show that determining the best or better program is very subjective, and can vary wildly depending on the criteria chosen.

Rocker Ute
02-21-2015, 08:18 AM
That is kind of a weird list. We are ranked just ahead of Mount Union and Appalachan State, who are both just ahead of Texas A & M and UCLA.

Just goes to show that determining the best or better program is very subjective, and can vary wildly depending on the criteria chow .

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out the math on these. These two named colleges have small fanbase, few players in the NFL, no BCS appearances and no championships... Maybe most of the weight on this is based off of active NFL players divided by average attendance or something.

SoCalPat
02-23-2015, 02:57 PM
Yeah, I'm trying to figure out the math on these. These two named colleges have small fanbase, few players in the NFL, no BCS appearances and no championships... Maybe most of the weight on this is based off of active NFL players divided by average attendance or something.

No championships for Mt. Union and Appy State? Might wanna recheck that ...

DrumNFeather
03-05-2015, 01:05 PM
From the Pac 12 Blog, spring questions: http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id/84976/spring-questions-utah

Diehard Ute
03-13-2015, 12:05 PM
Utes add Sione Pouha as a GA D-line coach.

LA Ute
03-13-2015, 03:18 PM
Phil Steele says Utah had 8th-toughest schedule in 2014.

http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/2015/MAR15/DBMar11.html

Interesting that UCLA is 2nd and Wazzu is 6th.

UTEopia
03-19-2015, 10:25 AM
Any Parrot Heads out there, I just saw that Jimmy Buffet is playing the Hollywood Bowl the Thursday before the Utes play USC. Just bought my tickets.

Hot Lunch
03-19-2015, 10:31 AM
Utes add Sione Pouha as a GA D-line coach.

This is a great move by Whitt. Sione will only be able to recruit on campus but his name and when kids especially poly kids and their families get on campus, will be impacted by Sione and what he brings to the table. Very excited about this.

Diehard Ute
03-19-2015, 11:56 PM
Travis Wilson and Conner Manning are in San Diego working out with Jeff Garcia

Scorcho
03-24-2015, 03:58 PM
I don't know if you can tell anything about the PAC-12's OOC Football scheduling philosophy from this, it just seems like an odd matchup considering the current states of the programs.

https://twitter.com/...416596721737728 (https://twitter.com/McMurphyESPN/status/580416596721737728)

TCU, Colorado schedule home/home series sources told @ESPN (https://twitter.com/espn); 2022 at TCU, 2023 at CU

LA Ute
03-25-2015, 05:57 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49gIHIlV_Cs&feature=youtu.be

Utah
03-25-2015, 07:07 PM
Our passing game will shock people this year. Not saying we will be top of the PAC-12, but after the drought we have been in, it will be fantastic.

Shock people this year. With Wilson.

concerned
03-25-2015, 09:29 PM
Our passing game will shock people this year. Not saying we will be top of the PAC-12, but after the drought we have been in, it will be fantastic.

Shock people this year. With Wilson.

So you are picking up right where you left off last spring?

Sullyute
03-26-2015, 09:03 AM
So you are picking up right where you left off last spring?

It is spring ball! Let the optimism fly!!!

LA Ute
03-26-2015, 09:56 AM

Oh, why not?

LA Ute
03-26-2015, 10:12 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ36IZLfFj0

UTEopia
03-26-2015, 10:26 AM

If we can just get past USU and Fresno St. I can seriously seeing us in the playoff.

Sullyute
03-26-2015, 12:02 PM
If we can just get past USU and Fresno St. I can seriously seeing us in the playoff.
That is more like it. :rave:

NorthwestUteFan
03-26-2015, 01:10 PM
My goals for this year:
1) Beat GD Arizona State
2) Beat UW
3) Undefeated at home
4) Pick up a road win in either California (Fresneck doesn't count) or Arizona
5) Give Oregon the scare of its life in Autzen, and win if possible
6) Embarrass the shit out of Oregon State coaches and players...
7) Get into one of the better bowl games. If we rise to the level of a NY6 game, then all the better.
8) Devontae Booker as a Heisman and Doak Walker finalist.

Go Utes!

LA Ute
03-26-2015, 01:19 PM
I like NWU's goals here.

Scorcho
03-26-2015, 02:37 PM
http://www.fbschedules.com/2015/03/texas-am-colorado-schedule-2020-21-football-series/

Colorado with another home and home scheduled with A&M

Utah
03-26-2015, 02:41 PM
http://www.fbschedules.com/2015/03/texas-am-colorado-schedule-2020-21-football-series/

As a fan, I like what Colorado is doing. BUT, they don't have aspirations of bowl games either. Man, they are scheduling like a poor WAC team. Poor Colorado fans.

Sullyute
03-26-2015, 02:46 PM
My goals for this year:
1) Beat GD Arizona State
2) Beat UW
3) Undefeated at home
4) Pick up a road win in either California (Fresneck doesn't count) or Arizona
5) Give Oregon the scare of its life in Autzen, and win if possible
6) Embarrass the shit out of Oregon State coaches and players...
7) Get into one of the better bowl games. If we rise to the level of a NY6 game, then all the better.
8) Devontae Booker as a Heisman and Doak Walker finalist.

Go Utes!

Your #6 is my #1.

sancho
03-26-2015, 03:01 PM
As a fan, I like what Colorado is doing. BUT, they don't have aspirations of bowl games either. Man, they are scheduling like a poor WAC team. Poor Colorado fans.

Who knows where CU football will be in the next decade? They are scheduling with optimism.

But, if they still stink, at least the home fans get to see good teams instead of G5 teams.

UTEopia
03-26-2015, 03:05 PM

2015 - @ Hawaii, UMass, CSU, Nichols St.
2016 - CSU, Idaho St., @ Michigan
2017 - CSU, @ San Jose St., No. Colorado

Not a murderers row in the next 3 years.

LA Ute
03-26-2015, 03:33 PM

Former Big 12 rivals. Nice match-up, IMO. If I were CU I wouldn't do it, but that's just me.

Utah
03-26-2015, 04:55 PM
2015 - @ Hawaii, UMass, CSU, Nichols St.
2016 - CSU, Idaho St., @ Michigan
2017 - CSU, @ San Jose St., No. Colorado

Not a murderers row in the next 3 years.

Good point. Maybe they will be competitive when they play those games.

Utah
03-26-2015, 04:57 PM
Is Colorado looking to hit Texas recruiting hard in the future?

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-26-2015, 07:32 PM
Saw that Poole was splitting time between RB and slot receiver yesterday. Interesting development. If only he had hands like Booker.

sancho
03-26-2015, 07:59 PM
Saw that Poole was splitting time between RB and slot receiver yesterday. Interesting development. If only he had hands like Booker.

I'd love for this to work, but so many teams have tried and failed to turn RBs into WRs (Greg Little is the first example that comes to mind, and Shane Vereen is the first counterexample). Slot receiver in particular does not seem like the kind of position you just pick up. You really need to be a gifted route runner. I hope Poole can do it. I'd like him to get the ball some.

LA Ute
04-03-2015, 06:04 AM
Looks like Chase Hansen is doing well.

http://www.sltrib.com/blogs/uofusports/2361332-155/utah-football-notes-right-tackle-spot

Diehard Ute
04-03-2015, 06:38 PM
Troy McCormick went down with a severe knee injury today. Clean hit, knee just gave out. No official diagnosis but Whitt said he'd be on the shelf for quite a while and told Booker that Troy would need him.

DrumNFeather
04-03-2015, 08:13 PM
Troy McCormick went down with a severe knee injury today. Clean hit, knee just gave out. No official diagnosis but Whitt said he'd be on the shelf for quite a while and told Booker that Troy would need him.
Terrible.

sancho
04-11-2015, 04:35 PM
So Cox is hurt again. Looks like our QB order is Wilson, Hansen, then Manning. Isom does not appear to be part of the plan for 2015.

Utah
04-11-2015, 06:33 PM
So Cox is hurt again. Looks like our QB order is Wilson, Hansen, then Manning. Isom does not appear to be part of the plan for 2015.

Our QB position is actually pretty decent this year. No world beaters, but both Wilson and Thompson have beaten top 10 teams. And neither will be asked to carry the load with Booker and Williams and our OL.

Wilson - SR
Thompson - SR
Hansen - FR
Manning - SO

Not too bad. Not too bad at all.

jrj84105
04-11-2015, 09:53 PM
Our QB position is actually pretty decent this year. No world beaters, but both Wilson and Thompson have beaten top 10 teams. And neither will be asked to carry the load with Booker and Williams and our OL.

Wilson - SR
Thompson - SR
Hansen - FR
Manning - SO

Not too bad. Not too bad at all.
I really like our 2015 QB group. 2016 is a different matter as Hansen really looks like the only guy who may be ready to play, and he's a running QB so we better have a backup. I hope we bring in a transfer to compete with Hansen for the starting job rather than putting all our eggs in the Hansen basket. bringing in Hays win us some games as did bringing in KT. Some of our biggest success stories are from transfers, and given our questionable HS QB recruiting I's like to see the same formula at QB.

Utah
04-11-2015, 10:23 PM
I really like our 2015 QB group. 2016 is a different matter as Hansen really looks like the only guy who may be ready to play, and he's a running QB so we better have a backup. I hope we bring in a transfer to compete with Hansen for the starting job rather than putting all our eggs in the Hansen basket. bringing in Hays win us some games as did bringing in KT. Some of our biggest success stories are from transfers, and given our questionable HS QB recruiting I's like to see the same formula at QB.

I agree. 2016 could be a little hairy. Or it could be fine. IF Hansen is our starter, you'll have Cox and Manning behind him. That isn't too bad. I'm not so sure Manning or Cox leave after this year, even if Hansen is above them. Manning is a sophomore, redshirt sophomore if I recall correctly, and would be able to compete for the starting job next fall. If he leaves, he will go into a new system just to compete for the starting spot. I don't see the motivation to start over somewhere else for the same opportunity.

I guess I only see Cox or Manning leaving if they are told that they will never be our starting QB.

So, back to 2016. This is how I'd want to see the depth chart:

Hansen - SO or Manning - JR
Isom - SO
Cox - JR
Freshman

Not terrible. I'd like to see the talent level rise a little, but we are building solid depth. We are getting there offensively.

Utah
04-11-2015, 10:25 PM
What I'd like to see is Wilson have a solid year, so we can get a better QB to look our way. If we could have Wilson have a solid year, then Hansen have a couple good years, hopefully we could see the QB talent just get better and better.

sancho
04-11-2015, 10:32 PM
I really like our 2015 QB group. 2016 is a different matter as Hansen really looks like the only guy who may be ready to play, and he's a running QB so we better have a backup.

This is why Isom and Manning should stick around. Patience, guys.

UTEopia
04-11-2015, 10:39 PM
This is why Isom and Manning should stick around. Patience, guys.

I will be shocked if they are both here in August.

Utah
04-12-2015, 01:19 AM

Really? These aren't 5 star kids and we arent a mid major program. If Manning or Cox transfer, they sit out a year. Which means they are competing for the starting job at most likely a mid major school instead of competing for a starting job at P5 school for their JR year. They gain next to nothing by transferring, unless the coaches tell them they have no shot at QB at Utah.

Also, Isom is a FRESHMAN. Freshman QB's usually suck. That's the normal thing to do as a freshman QB.

LA Ute
04-12-2015, 07:37 AM
Really? These aren't 5 star kids and we arent a mid major program. If Manning or Cox transfer, they sit out a year. Which means they are competing for the starting job at most likely a mid major school instead of competing for a starting job at P5 school for their JR year. They gain next to nothing by transferring, unless the coaches tell them they have no shot at QB at Utah.

Also, Isom is a FRESHMAN. Freshman QB's usually suck. That's the normal thing to do as a freshman QB.

I hear that Manning graduates this summer and thus can go anywhere he wants to -- even in the PAC-12 -- and play immediately. Cox has foot problems and we've seen how tricky recovery from those can be. Isom is a mystery to me.

jrj84105
04-12-2015, 10:04 AM
Given our previous issues with QB depth with ARod at the helm, I'd be more disappointed than shocked.

Manning riding the depth chart ahead of Cox and Isom is a big problem. Our offense REQUIRES a mobile QB, and Manning simply cannot provide that. If Cox and Isom can't rapidly overtake Manning in a system that is fit for their skill sets and not Manning's, then they aren't cutting it. I think that's the situation we're in.

QB's just tend to accumulate when you don't recruit well enough for the new recruits to displace the guys ahead of them who aren't progressing. That really appears to be the situation with no QB recruit this year and Manning, Cox, and Isom stalled. There are a lot of decent QB's poised to transfer, and I hope we're after the guys with a few years of eligibility left. (Notice QB #1 from the list).

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2370180-college-football-qbs-most-likely-to-transfer-before-the-start-of-summer

jrj84105
04-12-2015, 10:07 AM
I hear that Manning graduates this summer and thus can go anywhere he wants to -- even in the PAC-12 -- and play immediately. Cox has foot problems and we've seen how tricky recovery from those can be. Isom is a mystery to me.
I think you have to put Cox ever playing QB in the "pleasant surprise" box and just not count him towards depth anymore. Even if Manning is a PAC12 quality QB (doubtful) he's never going to be a PAC12 quality dual threat QB. I think Mnning will be a decent MWC/AAC QB like Schulz provided he finds the right system.

Utah
04-12-2015, 10:54 AM

What PAC-12 team would take him? Manning' best chance to start in the PAC-12 is in Utah.

LA Ute
04-12-2015, 12:14 PM
What PAC-12 team would take him? Manning' best chance to start in the PAC-12 is in Utah.

No idea. Just saying he can leave and go anywhere he wants to, whenever he wants to, without any waiting period. I doubt he'd go to a PAC-12 school.

sancho
04-12-2015, 12:40 PM

I bet he could put up numbers at WSU. Everyone does.

sancho
04-12-2015, 12:48 PM
Manning riding the depth chart ahead of Cox and Isom is a big problem. Our offense REQUIRES a mobile QB, and Manning simply cannot provide that.

Am I wrong? I thought Isom was also not a mobile QB.

It's probably not smart for us to have an offense that requires a mobile QB. But I wouldn't recommend making any changes now, since having an offensive scheme at all is new to us. Maybe we can make gradual changes so that we can eventually have an offense that allows us to recruit the best available qb.

Speaking of transfers, how can none of the osu guys transfer?

Utah
04-12-2015, 02:26 PM
I'm very curious to see how the transfers go. We aren't a mid major team anymore. Most of our QB's should stay.

I would think the only QB's that would leave are the ones that are highly touted coming out of HS and I don't think any of our QB's fit that bill...maybe Hansen.

I guess what I'm saying is being a P5 school changes the way depth is built and I'm not so sure we will have a mass exodus of QB's.

sancho
04-12-2015, 04:10 PM
I'm very curious to see how the transfers go. We aren't a mid major team anymore. Most of our QB's should stay.

I would think the only QB's that would leave are the ones that are highly touted coming out of HS and I don't think any of our QB's fit that bill...maybe Hansen.

I guess what I'm saying is being a P5 school changes the way depth is built and I'm not so sure we will have a mass exodus of QB's.

I don't see how P5/mid major makes a difference. Players transfer all the time. It happens to every school.

jrj84105
04-12-2015, 04:23 PM
Am I wrong? I thought Isom was also not a mobile QB.

It's probably not smart for us to have an offense that requires a mobile QB. But I wouldn't recommend making any changes now, since having an offensive scheme at all is new to us. Maybe we can make gradual changes so that we can eventually have an offense that allows us to recruit the best available qb.

Speaking of transfers, how can none of the osu guys transfer?
Sorry Sancho but yes, this is wrong.

1) What got us in trouble was recruiting "the best available" QB with no system in mind. Recruits want a system where guys with similar attributes have succeeded before them- similar to how we consistently recruit rangy pass-rushing LB/DE hybrids to KW's defense. not having a system turns off many QB recruits. That drops the "best available" one notch. Then we have poor results from switching systems every year to match the QB. Poor results turn off more QB recruits, so now the "best available" is even worse. We wound up with no system and no QB talent by taking the "best available" approach.

2) Isom is probably a little slower than TW at top speed but gets up to speed faster and is more elusive and harder to bring down than TW. He's a mobile QB (like TW) but not a running QB (Hansen, Cox).

3) There are two main constraints on our offense a) KW likes to run the ball and control the clock. b) we are generally going to be less talented as a whole than opposing defenses in our conference.

The pro-style power run offense is great for running the ball and controlling the clock. It works best, however, when your team can beat the opponent 11 on 11 (like Alabama). It's what I would expect us to run in the MWC where our eleven would generally be better than the opponent's eleven. Spread offenses are better for creating mismatches such that a less talented team overall can win by exploiting a few favorable mismatches. That's why we should run the spread. Now to run the ball effectively from the spread, you have to have a mobile QB; that's non-negotiable. So it makes sense that we are utilizing a spread to run offense with a mobile QB in the PAC.