PDA

View Full Version : Mark Strand

SeattleUte
12-01-2014, 04:10 PM
Mark Strand died. His obituary has been on page 1 of the NY Times as he was a Pulitzer winning poet and former United States poet laureate. He spent his last years (2005-2014) at Columbia, but the most time he spent in any one place was the University of Utah, where he was a professor of English from 1981 to 1993. I think he really became a celebrity while at Utah. I regret I didn't take a course from him.

LA Ute
12-01-2014, 04:25 PM
Mark Strand died. His obituary has been on page 1 of the NY Times as he was a Pulitzer winning poet and former United States poet laureate. He spent his last years (2005-2014) at Columbia, but his the most time he spent in any one place was the University of Utah, where he was a professor of English from 1981 to 1993. I think he really became a celebrity while at Utah. I regret I didn't take a course from him.

He became poet laureate while at Utah. Creative writing there is one of the little-known "star" programs. That reputation was what attracted Strand to Utah and he added to it greatly while he was there.

Applejack
12-01-2014, 04:27 PM
He became poet laureate while at Utah. Creative writing there is one of the little-known "star" programs. That reputation was what attracted Strand to Utah and he added to it greatly while he was there.

I'm happy to say that I was a creative writing minor. :cool:

I'm sure that most of you had already guessed that from my body of work on this website.

LA Ute
12-01-2014, 04:33 PM

I'm sure that most of you had already guessed that from my body of work on this website.

I think it is the graduate program that gets the kudos, but you breathed the same air as those guys so we'll give you credit for that.

UBlender
12-01-2014, 04:37 PM

High five. Me too.

Applejack
12-01-2014, 04:42 PM
High five. Me too.

Booyah! I knew I liked your writing style.

LA Ute
12-01-2014, 05:13 PM
My understanding is that the U creative writing is another area where we can look down at our rivals to the south who are invested in genre writing instead of literature.

Oh, come on. They'll have a U.S. poet laureate someday. A Nobel Prize winner too!

Diehard Ute
12-01-2014, 06:31 PM
My understanding is that the U creative writing is another area where we can look down at our rivals to the south who are invested in genre writing instead of literature.

Have you ever read their athletics press releases and marketing campaigns? If that's not creative writing I don't know what is ;)

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-02-2014, 08:43 AM

High five. Me too.

:cheers: I was a creative writing major for about a year after I decided that I wasn't keen on the lab coat wearing/premed biology career path. I took important courses like "Techniques of Greek Rhetoric" that I continue to draw upon daily. Thank goodness for USU's Fisheries and Wildlife program that saved me from a lifetime of Starbucks employment.