PDA

View Full Version : The Urban Meyer thread

SeattleUte
12-03-2014, 10:33 AM
I was in the pub by my house the other day and asked the bartender if she could put on the Florida-Georgetown game. She said, "Oh, are you a Gator?" I said no, I'm a Hoya and more than that a Ute. I reminded her that Urban coached at both our schools. She replied, "He's a liar, we don't like him." Of course I've heard this from many Ute fans too, so I thought it was interesting. I had no idea Florida fans felt this way (I have learned since then that it's a widespread belief that he faked his illness or nervous breakdown or whatever to enable a move to Ohio State). I almost asked her the question I've put to Ute fans, "Oh? You don't like Urban? Tell me about your football tradition before Urban" (B.U. as I sometimes say).

Ma'ake
12-03-2014, 11:37 AM
LOL. That's funny, and it's really weird how wrapped up fanbases get in all of this stuff.

His breakdown wasn't fake. He had some crazy stress-related stuff going on when he was here. I'll always appreciate Urban for letting me attend practice. He is extraordinarily savvy on technology, and the guy is an absolute genius at PR and motivational psychology. But there is a slippery aspect there, too.

concerned
12-03-2014, 11:42 AM
Florida had a tremendous tradition before Urban (not Alabama, but damn good), which is one of the reasons he took that job over ND. have we forgotten the Ole Ball Coach? Pat Sullivan? Gatorade? (Tha'ts all I can think of; I don't follow them very closely).

A better question is what was their basketball tradition B.D.

P.s. I have always thought that urban's heart condition may be real, but if so was induced by Nick Saban.

Diehard Ute
12-03-2014, 11:49 AM
LOL. That's funny, and it's really weird how wrapped up fanbases get in all of this stuff.

His breakdown wasn't fake. He had some crazy stress-related stuff going on when he was here. I'll always appreciate Urban for letting me attend practice. He is extraordinarily savvy on technology, and the guy is an absolute genius at PR and motivational psychology. But there is a slippery aspect there, too.

He's good at PR, but he also forgets what he's said in the past and thus gets himself branded as a liar. (I'm being generous here, reality probably is he doesn't care that he changes his tune to get what he wants. Urban is a politician in reality)

Ma'ake
12-03-2014, 11:54 AM
He's good at PR, but he also forgets what he's said in the past and thus gets himself branded as a liar. (I'm being generous here, reality probably is he doesn't care that he changes his tune to get what he wants. Urban is a politician in reality)

Well put. "Liar" is a little harsh, but it's understandable how that term gets applied.

SeattleUte
12-03-2014, 12:23 PM
Florida had a tremendous tradition before Urban (not Alabama, but damn good), which is one of the reasons he took that job over ND. have we forgotten the Ole Ball Coach? Pat Sullivan? Gatorade? (Tha'ts all I can think of; I don't follow them very closely).

A better question is what was their basketball tradition B.D.

P.s. I have always thought that urban's heart condition may be real, but if so was induced by Nick Saban.

They won twice as many National Championships under Urban as they had accumulated before. Spurrier got them their only previous one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_Gators_football

I see Florida much like Texas. A handful of or maybe 3 or 4 spectacular years and an abundance of money and glitz and access to the best recruits but under close examination the tradition doesn't stack up to what you'd expect. It's not even close to Alabama, USC, or Notre Dame. I'd put Miami or FSU above it. Florida is no. 3 in the state for football traditions.

They should forgive Urban his hubris and other foibles and adore him, as we should.

Applejack
12-03-2014, 12:25 PM
They won twice as many National Championships under Urban as they had accumulated before. Spurrier got them their only previous one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_Gators_football

I see Florida much like Texas. A handful of or maybe 3 or 4 spectacular years and an abundance of money and glitz and access to the best recruits but under close examination the tradition doesn't stack up to what you'd expect. It's not even close to Alabama, USC, or Notre Dame. I'd put Miami or FSU above it. Florida is no. 3 in the state for football traditions.

They should forgive Urban his hubris and other foibles and adore him, as we should.

100% agree! I love Pope Urban!

SeattleUte
12-03-2014, 12:28 PM
100% agree! I love Pope Urban!

He's a politician and possibly the best college football coach who ever lived. I love being a piece of that rock. I forgive him his ambition, it's part of what makes him great.

Applejack
12-03-2014, 12:33 PM
He's a politician and possibly the best college football coach who ever lived. I love being a piece of that rock. I forgive him his ambition, it's part of what makes him great.

If another coach wants to swoop in to Utah for 2 years and go 22-2 before heading for greener pastures, be my guest.

concerned
12-03-2014, 12:40 PM

You are hyperventilating. I love him too for all the reasons you said, but he isn't even the best coach currently. Saban is hands down. And I agree with your assessment of Florida relative to Alabama, USC, etc., but that is light years removed from suggesting that they had no tradition before Urban, or that their tradition was comparable to ours before Urban.

utefan
12-03-2014, 01:29 PM
Yes, I agree. Utah football would be like Utah State football without Urban. Very appreciative and I'll be a lifelong fan of his.

Thanks to him, we probably won't be the "farm team" going forward.

Ma'ake
12-03-2014, 02:33 PM
Yes, I agree. Utah football would be like Utah State football without Urban. Very appreciative and I'll be a lifelong fan of his.

Thanks to him, we probably won't be the "farm team" going forward.

Ronnie Mac + Urban + Kyle... each played pivotal roles. Before these guys, we were lost in the wilderness.

SeattleUte
12-03-2014, 02:43 PM
You are hyperventilating. I love him too for all the reasons you said, but he isn't even the best coach currently. Saban is hands down. And I agree with your assessment of Florida relative to Alabama, USC, etc., but that is light years removed from suggesting that they had no tradition before Urban, or that their tradition was comparable to ours before Urban.

Saban is hands down better? Meyer has two national championships, plus what he's done at Utah and Ohio State. He's 50, and Saban had not one national championship when he was 50 (Saban is 63). Meyer has two undefeated seasons (at Utah and Ohio State) in seasons in which he wasn't allowed to compete for the national title. Moreover, when they were in the SEC togather Meyer pretty much owned Saban until the last year. You can make a case case for Saban, but he's not hands down better. What Urban has done at three different schools is practically unprecedented.

Applejack
12-03-2014, 02:56 PM
Saban is hands down better? Meyer has two national championships, plus what he's done at Utah and Ohio State. He's 50, and Saban had not one national championship when he was 50 (Saban is 63). Meyer has two undefeated seasons (at Utah and Ohio State) in seasons in which he wasn't allowed to compete for the national title. Moreover, when they were in the SEC togather Meyer pretty much owned Saban until the last year. You can make a case case for Saban, but he's not hands down better. What Urban has done at three different schools is practically unprecedented.

I actually agree with Seattle on this one. I think I'd take Urban over Saban if I were trying to build a program. If I were trying to create a dynasty at a name-school (Alabama, Texas, USC, Oklahoma), I'd take Saban.

The one thing I'm not sure that Urban possesses is a long-view on creating a dynasty. He might be too impatient to every realize such a thing.

utefan
12-03-2014, 03:33 PM
Preach on brother!

I couldn't possibly agree more!

concerned
12-03-2014, 03:37 PM
I actually agree with Seattle on this one. I think I'd take Urban over Saban if I were trying to build a program. If I were trying to create a dynasty at a name-school (Alabama, Texas, USC, Oklahoma), I'd take Saban.

The one thing I'm not sure that Urban possesses is a long-view on creating a dynasty. He might be too impatient to every realize such a thing.

Saban has won four national championships at two different schools. He succeeded at Toledo, Mich State, and LSU. I'll bet Saban wins more nc's from here on out than Meyer ever does.

SeattleUte
12-03-2014, 04:15 PM
Saban has won four national championships at two different schools. He succeeded at Toledo, Mich State, and LSU. I'll bet Saban wins more nc's from here on out than Meyer ever does.

Fortunately both of these great coaches are part of our history in a positive way.

sancho
12-03-2014, 04:16 PM

They're both great. Saban has to lose a point or two for his NFL failure.

Snowman
12-13-2014, 11:10 AM
Urban left Utah better than he found it. Everyone knew he wasn't home grown. I did find his fake heart attack meltdown in Florida pretty funny. He knows how to jump ship. That's for sure.

SeattleUte
01-01-2015, 10:51 PM
Urban Meyer and Kyle Whittingham have something else in common. They both crushed Nick Sabin in the Sugar Bowl. Concerned, are you chastened?

Devildog
01-01-2015, 10:56 PM
Had this in the back of your mind for awhile... didn't you?

concerned
01-01-2015, 11:05 PM
Urban Meyer and Kyle Whittingham have something else in common. They both crushed Nick Sabin in the Sugar Bowl. Concerned, are you chastened?

yes. Mia culpa.urban coachedv circles around saban tonight. although I will still bet that Saban wins more national championships from here on out

SeattleUte
01-01-2015, 11:21 PM
yes. Mia culpa.urban coachedv circles around saban tonight. although I will still bet that Saban wins more national championships from here on out In my pool I have Urban winning one this year. Ohio State will be favored, don't you think? It certainty beat the more formiddable foe.

Devildog
01-01-2015, 11:22 PM
. In my pool I have Urban winning one this year. Ohio State will be favored, don't you think? It certainty beat the more formiddable foe.

Oregon will be favored, and they will win.

Mormon Red Death
01-01-2015, 11:24 PM
Oregon opens at -7

concerned
01-01-2015, 11:28 PM
In my pool I have Urban winning one this year. Ohio State will be favored, don't you think? It certainty beat the more formiddable foe.

12 gauge is not going to outplayed Marriota which he will gave to do for osu to have any chance at all. I dont think it will be close.

sancho
01-02-2015, 07:39 AM
12 gauge is not going to outplayed Marriota which he will gave to do for osu to have any chance at all. I dont think it will be close.

I'm not sure what to expect. An Oregon blowout would not surprise me, but Ohio State is the best team they've faced all year.

This game is a win-win for me. I like Mariota, and I would like to see him win it all. On the other hand, it would be nice to see Meyer re-establish himself as the top coach in America.

LA Ute
01-02-2015, 10:10 AM
I have nothing but good will for Urban Meyer. Utah football made a quantum leap upward because of him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

concerned
01-02-2015, 10:23 AM
I have nothing but good will for Urban Meyer. Utah football made a quantum leap upward because of him.

me too. The really interesting thing about the game last night was the OSU offense which looked to me almost exactly like the Utah offense in 2004. I told my son that the designed qb runs were just like Alex's runs, and the fly sweeps were the same sweeps we ran.

OSU matched up well against UA, esp. after the two linebackers went out. Alabama pass defense was horrible all year, and Jones was able to throw against it from the 2nd quarter on. If he can keep his poise in the national title game, I will be impressed. Especially if OSU has to play from behind and throw the ball a lot.

Sims was also horrible, with those three second half interceptions killing UA. Mariota is not going to do that. to me, this match up is a lot worse for OSU.

U-Ute
01-02-2015, 10:24 AM
Oregon should win, but I will never underestimate Urban. He is a great tactician and a master motivator.

His reaction to the Oregon/FSU score was classic. I wonder if he calls Kyle for tips.

justaute
01-02-2015, 10:30 AM
Hear hear.

Utah
01-04-2015, 03:27 AM
OSU's third string QB is not a third string QB. Coming out of HS, he was the twelve best recruit in the country. He's not some walkon playing out of his mind. Hes a special talent.

It will be a close game. Urban can coach. And he has a great defense and a very, very good QB.

I'm rooting for Oregon (backthepac), but I think OSU has a great chance to win. Oregon hasn't faced a coach like Urban, and OSU has lost, what, 3 games since Urban has taken over 3 years ago (the same number of losses as FSU in the same time period).

OSU is very, very good. Oregon struggled a lot vs FSU's run game. Urban won't forget that.

NorthwestUteFan
01-04-2015, 11:15 PM
The whole time I watched Cardale Jones I hoped with all my might that Donovan Isom would turn out to be a similar player. Given proper coaching he might be able to put a similar skill set on the field. Granted he isn't an elite QB like CJ, but he is what we have to work with.

I can't wait to see the game next week. It will be a game for the ages!

SeattleUte
01-05-2015, 04:13 PM
The whole time I watched Cardale Jones I hoped with all my might that Donovan Isom would turn out to be a similar player. Given proper coaching he might be able to put a similar skill set on the field. Granted he isn't an elite QB like CJ, but he is what we have to work with.

I can't wait to see the game next week. It will be a game for the ages!

Cardale Jones wasn't a star studded recruit. He was no more highly recruited than Travis Wilson, and his offer list was not nearly as impressive:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/103709/cardale-jones

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/111770/travis-wilson

What about Johnny Manzel, you say?

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/106378/johnny-manziel

This doesn't surprise me. Recruiting is very important but still overrated. Marcus Mariota was rated where the best WAC-level players reside, much lower than either of the foregoing.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/110527/marcus-mariota

Isom is closer to Wilson and Jones than Mariota, which I guess is a good thing.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/news/_/id/167423/donovan-isom

The other Wilson, Russell, was a blah recruit:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/37703/russell-wilson

Finally, I have to recognize the highest rated quarterback of all among these guys:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/64899/jake-heaps

What makes a great quarterback? Good question. Nobody seems to know.

NorthwestUteFan
01-05-2015, 04:30 PM
The Jake Heaps info is special. Glad you included it.

In the end all of the HS talent in the world is meaningless without a college coach who will develop that talent. This is part of the reason why Urban Meyer will have THREE Heisman-watch QBs on his team next year. He is a wizard at developing QBs.

sancho
01-05-2015, 04:35 PM
The Jake Heaps info is special. Glad you included it.

In the end all of the HS talent in the world is meaningless without a college coach who will develop that talent. This is part of the reason why Urban Meyer will have THREE Heisman-watch QBs on his team next year. He is a wizard at developing QBs.

I don't think the talent was ever there to begin with. They just missed on the rankings.

As for Urban developing QBs, sure, but he has also developed a simple system where he can just plug in a QB and have success.

That's part of what makes football so interesting. How much is coaching? How much is talent? How much is system? How much is the other 10 players on the field? SOS? Luck? All these questions are intractable.

SeattleUte
01-05-2015, 05:04 PM
I don't think the talent was ever there to begin with. They just missed on the rankings.

As for Urban developing QBs, sure, but he has also developed a simple system where he can just plug in a QB and have success.

That's part of what makes football so interesting. How much is coaching? How much is talent? How much is system? How much is the other 10 players on the field? SOS? Luck? All these questions are intractable.

The most important and most mysterious position in football. It's the great leveler position.

mpfunk
01-12-2015, 09:52 AM
I'm not anti-Urban Meyer, but I hope he gets his ass kicked tonight.

mUUser
01-12-2015, 10:48 AM
I'm not anti-Urban Meyer, but I hope he gets his ass kicked tonight.

I love Urban Meyer and would never bet money against him, but completely agree! I'm all about the P12 tonight.

LA Ute
01-12-2015, 10:48 AM
I love Urban Meyer and would never bet money against him, but completely agree! I'm all about the P12 tonight.

:highfive:

concerned
01-12-2015, 09:36 PM
I wont even suggest anything to the contrary any more.

SoCalPat
01-12-2015, 10:21 PM
I wont even suggest anything to the contrary any more.

I root for teams and people. Not leagues. So it was great to see the team with the Utah Man on its roster win and spoil the night of all the PAC 12 Fanboys within the fanbase. I've found that attitude embarrassing.

SeattleUte
01-12-2015, 10:37 PM
Hee hee.

Why were you Ute fans cheering for the Ogeron Fucks? You've told me you'd never cheer for BYU; why is Ogeron any different? Unless you think you're inferior to those chuckle heads in Eugene. I just came from a pub where all Husky fans were cheering for Ohio State; and the stupid Fuck fans didn't know what hit them; they were still yucking it up when Urban was up 15. Urban is a part of our history; we have a piece of that rock. This was an easy choice for me.

utefan
01-12-2015, 10:39 PM
Like it or not, a lot of people do cheer for the conference. That's why articles like this one came out within minutes of the championship game ending:

http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/scoreboard-sec-tops-conferences-7-wins-pac-12-big-ten-6-each

concerned
01-12-2015, 10:39 PM
Hee hee.

Why were you Ute fans cheering for the Ogeron Fucks? You've told me you'd never cheer for BYU; why is Ogeron any different? Unless you think you're inferior to those chuckle heads in Eugene. I just came from a pub where all Husky fans were cheering for Ohio State; and the stupid Fuck fans didn't know what hit them; they were still yucking it up when Urban was up 15. Urban is a part of our history; we have a piece of that rock. This was an easy choice for me.

I conceded already. Be gracious for once in your life, although it probably is as contrary to your nature as it is for UM to be conservative on offense.

Devildog
01-12-2015, 10:50 PM
I almost never agree with Seattleute, the dude is a cock.

However, in this case... Fuck Yeah Urban Meyer! Hell yes another National championship. This guy is a great football coach who left us far better off than he found us.

LA Ute
01-12-2015, 10:56 PM
Urban is awesome, I'll give him that, and part of me is happy for him. I still would have liked to see Oregon win it, for a variety of reasons, but nothing will ever kill my gratitude to Urban.

SeattleUte
01-12-2015, 10:59 PM
OSU's third string QB is not a third string QB. Coming out of HS, he was the twelve best recruit in the country. He's not some walkon playing out of his mind. Hes a special talent.

It will be a close game. Urban can coach. And he has a great defense and a very, very good QB.

I'm rooting for Oregon (backthepac), but I think OSU has a great chance to win. Oregon hasn't faced a coach like Urban, and OSU has lost, what, 3 games since Urban has taken over 3 years ago (the same number of losses as FSU in the same time period).

OSU is very, very good. Oregon struggled a lot vs FSU's run game. Urban won't forget that.

He wasn't the 12th best recruit in the country. http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/103709/cardale-jones

SeattleUte
01-12-2015, 11:03 PM
I almost never agree with Seattleute, the dude is a cock.

You don't know SeattleUte, Corporal. No man knows my history.

SeattleUte
01-12-2015, 11:04 PM
Urban is awesome, I'll give him that, and part of me is happy for him. I still would have liked to see Oregon win it, for a variety of reasons, but nothing will ever kill my gratitude to Urban.

There isn't one good reason why Ute fan should have wanted Ogeron to win this game. Especially if we're supposed to be competing with them for recruits.

sancho
01-12-2015, 11:07 PM
There isn't one good reason why Ute fan should have wanted Ogeron to win this game. Especially if we're supposed to be competing with them for recruits.

I don't usually root for other Pac-12 teams. I have no reason to do so. I was willing to pull for Oregon because I like Mariotta. I was willing to root for OSU because I like Meyer. I watched at a sports bar in San Antonio and let my table decide who I would root for (it was Oregon).

utefan
01-12-2015, 11:14 PM
It was a toss up for me. I wanted the Pac 12 to do well, but I'm a huge Urban Meyer fan, as I'm sure most Ute fans are.

I'm happy for him. I think he's the best coach in the nation, possibly the best in history. I'll forever be in his debt for what he built and left us with in Utah.

U-Ute
01-13-2015, 10:42 AM
I didn't have a dog in this race. Rooted for Mariota and the Ducks because I like Mariota. Rooted for Urban because it is fun to see a genius in action.

OSU wanted that game more. They balled out. That's because of Urban.

All in all, a fun game to watch.

LA Ute
01-13-2015, 11:13 AM

Lol.

Anyway, Urban Meyer is the George Patton (or Erwin Rommel) of college football coaches. He's the guy you'd rather not face because he is going to find your weakness, exploit it, and leave you sitting in the dust, defeated and amazed. He's only 50. If he keeps at it he has a good chance of surpassing Bear Bryant in all-time NCs.

arizonaute
01-13-2015, 11:28 AM
I was rooting for Oregon to win because I wanted the Pac to have the champ. It would have driven the discussion that the pac is better than the sec.

LA Ute
01-13-2015, 11:43 AM
I was rooting for Oregon to win because I wanted the Pac to have the champ. It would have driven the discussion that the pac is better than the sec.

So was I. After all the good pub the PAC-12 has gotten for being a tough conference this year, and Utah having the toughest schedule in the USA in the PAC-12 South, I wanted all that hype to be validated.

chrisrenrut
01-13-2015, 11:45 AM

Me too. Unfortunately, according to SU, it isn't a good reason. :(

LA Ute
01-13-2015, 12:39 PM
Me too. Unfortunately, according to SU, it isn't a good reason. :(

Not only that, there isn't one good reason. I hate when that happens.

utefan
01-13-2015, 01:19 PM
So was I. After all the good pub the PAC-12 has gotten for being a tough conference this year, and Utah having the toughest schedule in the USA in the PAC-12 South, I wanted all that hype to be validated.
Same here. I'm not too bummed since it was Urban Meyer. It's hard to root against him, and I'm happy for him. But I still wish Oregon would have solidified that the Pac 12 is the best conference.

SeattleUte
01-13-2015, 01:36 PM
I just want you guys to be consistent, and to act like you belong in the Pac 12. I was chided here for pulling for BYU against Gonzaga, even though a BYU win would have materially elevated our RPI (which was the only reason I wanted BYU to win). All the reasons that make us want bad things to happen to BYU compeled pulling for Ohio State yesterday -- unless you don't really regard Oregon as a peer and a competitor of the Utes. To me, BYU is in the past, it doesn't matter much. But Oregon is a real threat, and Oregon's success in many ways makes it harder for us to succeed. I live in a place where fans of the dominant school have been eating duck shit for many years, after the ducks ate husky shit since the dawn of football. They put rubber ducks in urinals here at Duck games. No Husky fan wanted Oregon to win, nor did Trojan, Bruin, etc. fans. For the same reasons we never cheer for BYU. So let's act like we're Oregon's rivals.

utefan
01-13-2015, 01:54 PM
I just want you guys to be consistent, and to act like you belong in the Pac 12. I was chided here for pulling for BYU against Gonzaga, even though a BYU win would have materially elevated our RPI (which was the only reason I wanted BYU to win). All the reasons that make us want bad things to happen to BYU compeled pulling for Ohio State yesterday -- unless you don't really regard Oregon as a peer and a competitor of the Utes. To me, BYU is in the past, it doesn't matter much. But Oregon is a real threat, and Oregon's success in many ways makes it harder for us to succeed. I live in a place where fans of the dominant school have been eating duck shit for many years, after the ducks ate husky shit since the dawn of football. They put rubber ducks in urinals here at Duck games. No Husky fan wanted Oregon to win, nor did Trojan, Bruin, etc. fans. For the same reasons we never cheer for BYU. So let's act like we're Oregon's rivals.
We're not Oregon's rival though. Their fans have been nothing but great to me. Their team, coaches, and fans all showed great respect and acted with a lot of class after they thumped the Utes. I don't hate them. It's definitely not on par with BYU and their fans.

SeattleUte
01-13-2015, 02:05 PM
We're not Oregon's rival though. Their fans have been nothing but great to me. Their team, coaches, and fans all showed great respect and acted with a lot of class after they thumped the Utes. I don't hate them. It's definitely not on par with BYU and their fans.

I'm sure Oregon fans were grateful for the gift they received. They woudn't have "thumped us" had it not been for Kaelin Clay's generosity. I'm sure you saw the stat last night that Oregon hasn't come back from a 14 point deficit since October 2, 2010. We'd have been ahead 34-23 in the fourth quarter, even ignoring the adverse momentum swing Clay's stupidity caused us.

LA Ute
01-13-2015, 02:09 PM

Wrong. I know many who were pulling for the Ducks. It is understandable and appropriate for Washington fans to root against them, of course. So you are not completely wrong.

SeattleUte
01-13-2015, 02:11 PM
Wrong. I know many who were pulling for the Ducks. It is understandable and appropriate for Washington fans to root against them, of course. So you are not completely wrong.

Look at the third picture down. That ball came out of his hand before he broke the plane. Somebody decided to be merciful, probably because they didn't want the NC to be decided that way, and the whole notion of this kind of thing happening is so ghastly. What is it about these guys thinking it's cute to drop the ball close to the goal line. I notice that in the NFL they spike it in the end zone, or hand it to the ref.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865619480/Utahns-react-to-Oregons-near-fumble-at-the-goal-line-in-national-title-game.html?pg=all

concerned
01-13-2015, 02:36 PM
Look at the third picture down. That ball came out of his hand before he broke the plane. Somebody decided to be merciful, probably because they didn't want the NC to be decided that way, and the whole notion of this kind of thing happening is so ghastly. What is it about these guys thinking it's cute to drop the ball close to the goal line. I notice that in the NFL they spike it in the end zone, or hand it to the ref.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865619480/Utahns-react-to-Oregons-near-fumble-at-the-goal-line-in-national-title-game.html?pg=all

What are you looking at? the ball is clearly in his hand after he breaks the plane. Look at the first gif. He flips the tip with his fingers after he crosses the line. And as the announcer noted, the ball has to be completely out of his hand (i.e., not touching it) before he breaks the plane for it to be a drop.

SeattleUte
01-13-2015, 02:46 PM
What are you looking at? the ball is clearly in his hand after he breaks the plane. Look at the first gif. He flips the tip with his fingers after he crosses the line. And as the announcer noted, the ball has to be completely out of his hand (i.e., not touching it) before he breaks the plane for it to be a drop.

The ball was coming out of his hand before he broke the plane. Was some part of his hand still in contact with it? I don't know because his hand is in the way; my experience with gravity tells me not likely. Still, what the sam hill was he doing? What is the matter with these morans?

concerned
01-13-2015, 02:51 PM
The ball was coming out of his hand before he broke the plane. Was some part of his hand still in contact with it? I don't know because his hand is in the way; my experience with gravity tells me not likely. Still, what the sam hill was he doing? What is the matter with these morans?

I didnt say he wasnt a moron, just that the ref made the correct call. Look at the first gif reverse angle where he is going right to left. He is well across the plane; view not blocked.

SeattleUte
01-13-2015, 04:35 PM
I didnt say he wasnt a moron, just that the ref made the correct call. Look at the first gif reverse angle where he is going right to left. He is well across the plane; view not blocked.

I can't be objective about this. I had such a strong feeling of schadenfreude when that play was under review.

concerned
01-13-2015, 04:39 PM
I can't be objective about this. I had such a strong feeling of schadenfreude when that play was under review.

It would have been the irony of ironies, esp. after Kaelin's tweets. I didnt notice it (or Clay's either for that matter), but my son saw it right off in real time and yelled he did just what Kaelin did. according to some of the comments to the DNews atricle, Marshall did this in the first game of the season and lost the TD.

SeattleUte
01-13-2015, 04:58 PM
It would have been the irony of ironies, esp. after Kaelin's tweets. I didnt notice it (or Clay's either for that matter), but my son saw it right off in real time and yelled he did just what Kaelin did. according to some of the comments to the DNews atricle, Marshall did this in the first game of the season and lost the TD.

You should have seen the looks on the Oregon fans' faces around me. They knew exactly what was happening. This is crazy, like when people cut off the partner's breathing during the sex act for more excitement -- and sometimes it goes horribly wrong.

LA Ute
01-13-2015, 05:21 PM
Here's Kaelin's tweet, which he posted in real time:

https://twitter.com/CALiboy4/status/554848304685531136

NorthwestUteFan
01-13-2015, 05:24 PM
This is crazy, like when people cut off the partner's breathing during the sex act for more excitement -- and sometimes it goes horribly wrong.

Uhh, is that the type of exquisite sex you pontificate about?

LA Ute
01-13-2015, 05:25 PM
You should have seen the looks on the Oregon fans' faces around me. They knew exactly what was happening. This is crazy, like when people cut off the partner's breathing during the sex act for more excitement -- and sometimes it goes horribly wrong.

:blink:

utefan
01-13-2015, 06:35 PM
I'm sure Oregon fans were grateful for the gift they received. They woudn't have "thumped us" had it not been for Kaelin Clay's generosity. I'm sure you saw the stat last night that Oregon hasn't come back from a 14 point deficit since October 2, 2010. We'd have been ahead 34-23 in the fourth quarter, even ignoring the adverse momentum swing Clay's stupidity caused us.
I agree Clay probably cost us that game. I was pissed for weeks, though I'm over it now.

Oregon fans have been very pleasant to deal with for many years. I can't think of a bad experience with them. Even back in the MWC days. There's friendly banter before the game, and pure class after the game.

I can't believe you or anyone would compare them to BYU and their fans. There is no comparison. Oregon is everything BYU wishes they were, and their fans are the kind of people you can actually watch a game with and everyone have a good time.

utefan
01-13-2015, 06:38 PM
Here's Kaelin's tweet, which he posted in real time:

https://twitter.com/CALiboy4/status/554848304685531136
Hahaha! That is great!

concerned
01-13-2015, 06:45 PM
two interesting tweets (with apologies to Alex Smith):

Favorited 9,459 times

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/489621467790082049/Np08P5_r_bigger.jpegSportsCenter ‏@SportsCenter (https://twitter.com/SportsCenter) 20h20 hours ago (https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/554871071573549057)
Ohio State has played in 6 games as an underdog under Urban Meyer.They've won all 6.

Jason Whitlock ‏@WhitlockJason (https://twitter.com/WhitlockJason) 2h2 hours ago (https://twitter.com/WhitlockJason/status/555151857807396866)
Consider this about Cadale Jones. Name a QB Urban Meyer hasn't made look spectacular and then examine their professional performance.

SoCalPat
01-13-2015, 07:42 PM
two interesting tweets (with apologies to Alex Smith):

Favorited 9,459 times

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/489621467790082049/Np08P5_r_bigger.jpegSportsCenter ‏@SportsCenter (https://twitter.com/SportsCenter) 20h20 hours ago (https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/554871071573549057)
Ohio State has played in 6 games as an underdog under Urban Meyer.They've won all 6.

Jason Whitlock ‏@WhitlockJason (https://twitter.com/WhitlockJason) 2h2 hours ago (https://twitter.com/WhitlockJason/status/555151857807396866)
Consider this about Cadale Jones. Name a QB Urban Meyer hasn't made look spectacular and then examine their professional performance.

Huge overstatement by Whitlock. Urban's only QBs that have used up their eligibility are Alex Smith, Chris Leak and Tim Tebow. No one ever thought Leak would be an NFL QB and the media built up Tebow to unwarranted heights. Plenty of people raised red flags about Tebow's likelihood of success in the pro game.

Diehard Ute
01-13-2015, 08:34 PM
Huge overstatement by Whitlock. Urban's only QBs that have used up their eligibility are Alex Smith, Chris Leak and Tim Tebow. No one ever thought Leak would be an NFL QB and the media built up Tebow to unwarranted heights. Plenty of people raised red flags about Tebow's likelihood of success in the pro game.

Their college eligibility? Alex left early.

SeattleUte
01-13-2015, 08:50 PM
Uhh, is that the type of exquisite sex you pontificate about?

You need to broaden your cultural experience.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_Realm_of_the_Senses

sancho
01-13-2015, 08:56 PM
My thought, one day late. I love Urban and think he's a great football coach. But I've been surprised at the over-the-top reaction to him winning another title. He did not take a big underdog all the way. He did not take a struggling program and turn it around. He took a job at one of the top 5 programs in history, a team loaded with 4/5 star talent from top to bottom, and took that team all the way. It's less impressive than what he did at Florida, and that was less impressive than what he did at Utah.

SeattleUte
01-13-2015, 09:53 PM
My thought, one day late. I love Urban and think he's a great football coach. But I've been surprised at the over-the-top reaction to him winning another title. He did not take a big underdog all the way. He did not take a struggling program and turn it around. He took a job at one of the top 5 programs in history, a team loaded with 4/5 star talent from top to bottom, and took that team all the way. It's less impressive than what he did at Florida, and that was less impressive than what he did at Utah.

This is a ridiculous comment. A lot of schools like Texas, Notre Dame and USC meet your description and didn't smell a national title.

Besides three national championships at two schools he has two undefeated seasons, at two schools, in which he was not allowed to compete for the national title. Someday people are going to start asking whether maybe Utah would have beaten USC in 2004.

sancho
01-13-2015, 10:22 PM
This is a ridiculous comment. A lot of schools like Texas, Notre Dame and USC meet your description and didn't smell a national title.

Besides three national championships at two schools he has two undefeated seasons, at two schools, in which he was not allowed to compete for the national title. Someday people are going to start asking whether maybe Utah would have beaten USC in 2004.

Yeah, well, he's clearly a good coach, and ND, USC, and Texas would fire their coach today if they knew they could get him. Winning a title at Ohio State is a nice little resume builder. But it's not a surprising upset, and it's not something that makes him the greatest football coach of all time.

If the committee had done the right thing and put TCU in the playoff instead of either FSU or OSU, then Gary Patterson may have won the first ever college national championship at TCU. Now that would be a mind blowing coaching feat.

NorthwestUteFan
01-14-2015, 04:40 AM

I am not sure I want to broaden my unconsciousness.

DrumNFeather
01-14-2015, 06:55 AM
Yeah, well, he's clearly a good coach, and ND, USC, and Texas would fire their coach today if they knew they could get him. Winning a title at Ohio State is a nice little resume builder. But it's not a surprising upset, and it's not something that makes him the greatest football coach of all time.

If the committee had done the right thing and put TCU in the playoff instead of either FSU or OSU, then Gary Patterson may have won the first ever college national championship at TCU. Now that would be a mind blowing coaching feat.

In the context of the college football playoff, you're right, this isn't a Cinderella story. It's going to take people time (probably until it expands to 8 or until a non P5 school gets in) to stop trying to fit the college football playoff into the march madness mold and talk about upsets etc. Every single year, we're going to get 4 really good teams in the playoff, so from that standpoint you are right.

I do however think that it cements Urban as 1a if Saban is 1 as far as college coaches go. He may not have had a huge hill to climb, but at a school coming off a controversy and going 6-7 (3-5) under Luke Fickell, I think it is clear that the guy knows how to get the maximum effort out of his players. Hopefully we'll get a few years of Meyer vs. Harbaugh before Urban jumps to the NFL to coach the Redskins.

chrisrenrut
01-14-2015, 08:26 AM
. . . Someday people are going to start asking whether maybe Utah would have beaten USC in 2004.

Brady Poppinga said on the radio this morning that he thinks the 2004 Utah team wins the playoff if it was structured then like it is now. Of course, he said a lot of other stupid stuff, like Bronco being a top 5 football coach at any level, so take it for what it's worth.

U-Ute
01-14-2015, 11:22 AM

Sounds more like unconsciousness to me.

:eek: