PDA

View Full Version : What will the football staff look like for the 2015 season?

UTEopia
12-24-2014, 04:13 PM
We have already heard it was Hill's fault, it was Whit's fault, it was Kalani's fault. At this point, as a Ute fan it really doesn't matter to me. What I am most interested in is who will replace Kalani and Tuiaki. Both Kalani and Tuiaki have some characteristics that made them valuable coaches at Utah. Both are poly and are well connected to the poly community is Utah and elsewhere. Kalani is LDS and I believe Tuiaki is also, although I could be wrong. Poly and LDS are a strong combination with many of our recruits. They both are excellent coaches and more importantly, motivators. How do we fill those needs in the hires that will be made?

I think it is unlikely that Kyle will hire an established DC because Kyle has the defense he wants to run and any established DC will have his own defense that he wants to run. There are some interesting possibilities in this group: Lance Anderson DC at Stanford, Brady Hoke, former Michigan coach and I am sure there are many more.

I think it is more likely that Kyle will hire someone who will come in and run his defense.

These are important hires. There is a lot of angst in Ute nation right now and the right hires will go along way in curbing that angst. Hire the wrong guys and we will be in for a long 2015.

Some guys with Utah ties:

Lewis Powell - former Utah player and long time graduate assistant at Utah who took a full time job at Hawaii with Norm Chow.
Luther Ellis - Former Utah player. I don't know if Luther wants to coach, but he did help out with the DL a few years ago when he was completing his schooling.
Steve Fifita - Former Utah player and currently a DL coach at Idaho St.
Spencer Toone - Former Utah player and currently the LB coach at Idaho St.
Jason Kaufusi - Former Utah player and currently the DE coach at Weber
Justin Ena - Former BYU player and currently DC/LB coach at Weber
Kite Afeaki - Former Utah player and currently DT coach at Weber
Steve Kaufusi - Former Utah assistant and currently DL coach at BYU
Frank Maile - Former player and Coach at USU and currently coaches DL at Vanderbilt. Played HS at Alta.

Utah
12-24-2014, 05:38 PM
I'm really liking Fifita and Toone. DC's at ISU, Utah guys, better men.

SeattleUte
12-24-2014, 05:51 PM
Everyone is replaceable, except a great head coach not so much.

Coastal Ute
12-25-2014, 01:04 PM

Whittingham is replaceable. Sorry to break it to you. ;) I'm trying to understand your undying support for him. And Majerus for that matter.

Coastal Ute
12-25-2014, 01:07 PM
I'm really liking Fifita and Toone. DC's at ISU, Utah guys, better men.

I've heard that Fifita is a strong candidate.

UTEopia
12-25-2014, 02:20 PM
Whittingham is replaceable. Sorry to break it to you. ;) I'm trying to understand your undying support for him. And Majerus for that matter.

I agree that Whittingham is replaceable. I just don't understand why Hill is reportedly so interested in having him gone. As much as I enjoyed the winning of the Majerus years, I was not sorry to see him leave. I was worn out by his constant flirting with other programs which I believe undermined his ability to recruit better players. I was also tired of his eccentric behavior which appeared to become more bizarre as the years went on. I have really enjoyed listening to Josh Grant on the Ute pre-game basketball radio shows and hear him talk about Majerus. It seems like Majerus had a method to his madness. Make all the players hate and fear you so much that they bind together.

Coastal Ute
12-25-2014, 02:54 PM
I agree that Whittingham is replaceable. I just don't understand why Hill is reportedly so interested in having him gone. As much as I enjoyed the winning of the Majerus years, I was not sorry to see him leave. I was worn out by his constant flirting with other programs which I believe undermined his ability to recruit better players. I was also tired of his eccentric behavior which appeared to become more bizarre as the years went on. I have really enjoyed listening to Josh Grant on the Ute pre-game basketball radio shows and hear him talk about Majerus. It seems like Majerus had a method to his madness. Make all the players hate and fear you so much that they bind together.

My best guess for Hill wanting Whitt gone would be locker room drama and some bad hires. But that's all I can think of. Maybe it's worse than we realize. Maybe it's not nearly bad at all. At this point I'm just going to sit back and wait for it all to unfold. It will be interesting to see what happens.

I know some people still worship at the Majerus Shrine but he wore out his welcome on the hill. Leaving abruptly in the middle if the season most likely because of the Lance Allred situation (and other contributing factors) sure left a black mark on his record at the U IMO. Won't forget what he did for the program though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoCalPat
12-25-2014, 04:22 PM
My best guess for Hill wanting Whitt gone would be locker room drama and some bad hires. But that's all I can think of. Maybe it's worse than we realize. Maybe it's not nearly bad at all. At this point I'm just going to sit back and wait for it all to unfold. It will be interesting to see what happens.

I know some people still worship at the Majerus Shrine but he wore out his welcome on the hill. Leaving abruptly in the middle if the season most likely because of the Lance Allred situation (and other contributing factors) sure left a black mark on his record at the U IMO. Won't forget what he did for the program though.

Majerus left because he finally accrued enough years as a state employee to qualify for lifetime health benefits. That's been documented.

SoCalPat
12-25-2014, 04:24 PM
With Christensen gone, you gotta make ARod the OC. And I hope Harding stays -- consensus is he would be a huge loss.

hostile
12-25-2014, 04:26 PM
Majerus left because he finally accrued enough years as a state employee to qualify for lifetime health benefits. That's been documented.
I have never heard that angle before. Maybe all the Allred noise overshadowed it.

SeattleUte
12-25-2014, 04:42 PM

What do you know about this? You don't know anything about it. Your'e a fan; almost by definition a chuckle head about football. Do you know how many outright championships Utah won in the 39 years between 1964 and 2003, competing in some fairly soft conferneces (just look at the record BYU compiled in those conferences)? Ask schools like Michigan and USC how easy it is to find a great coach.

Utah has been doing as well as it can with the recruits who are available ot it. It's been doing better than Texas and a lot of other schools who can and do recruit a lot better.

SeattleUte
12-25-2014, 04:46 PM

This makes me nervous because I know Chris Hill knows about as much as I do about football.

Coastal Ute
12-25-2014, 05:09 PM
With Christensen gone, you gotta make ARod the OC. And I hope Harding stays -- consensus is he would be a huge loss.

Is Christensen going anywhere anytime soon?

I agree that ARod is the next logical choice for OC. Maybe I'm wrong but I can't imagine that very many people would be interested in the OC spot considering the high turnover.

What do you think?

utefan
12-25-2014, 05:13 PM
Why is everyone saying Hill wants Whitt gone? Is there anything to this, or is it just something someone threw out as a possibility?

Slim
12-25-2014, 05:18 PM
Is Christensen going anywhere anytime soon?

I agree that ARod is the next logical choice for OC. Maybe I'm wrong but I can't imagine that very many people would be interested in the OC spot considering the high turnover.

What do you think?

Hans Olsen reporting Christensen is going to Texas A&M as the OC.

I texted my buddy who works deep within the walls of the Huntsman Center about the turbulent times in the football program right now. His response "There are some challenges, but everything will work out. It's probably all for the better in the long term."

If there was a lot of discontent within the coaching staff as it sounds like this year, it's amazing how well the team did.

As for ARod didn't we try him out at OC already? But I agree it's not very appealing right now. The revolving door at OC is very tiring

mUUser
12-25-2014, 06:21 PM

Yes, Urban could win with 10 untrained monkeys on his staff. A great head coach is the linchpin to success at this level. Winners attract winners, and KW will attract another great coordinator.

UTEopia
12-25-2014, 06:30 PM
Yes, Urban could win with 10 untrained monkeys on his staff. A great head coach is the linchpin to success at this level. Winners attract winners, and KW will attract another great coordinator.

Maybe Urban really is unhappy at Ohio St. and this is all because he has told Hill that he will return to Utah.:Evil:

Coastal Ute
12-25-2014, 07:30 PM
Hans Olsen reporting Christensen is going to Texas A&M as the OC.

I texted my buddy who works deep within the walls of the Huntsman Center about the turbulent times in the football program right now. His response "There are some challenges, but everything will work out. It's probably all for the better in the long term."

If there was a lot of discontent within the coaching staff as it sounds like this year, it's amazing how well the team did.

As for ARod didn't we try him out at OC already? But I agree it's not very appealing right now. The revolving door at OC is very tiring

Yeah, we tried Arod. And Schramm. I wasn't very encouraged by either at the time. But I'm willing to give him another shot.

Rocker Ute
12-25-2014, 08:28 PM
Yeah, we tried Arod. And Schramm. I wasn't very encouraged by either at the time. But I'm willing to give him another shot.

Well isn't the history on this kind of important too? While they weren't exactly lighting it up, Shramrod was serviceable until a seemingly can't miss opportunity came with Chow. Somewhere in there Arod left and came back and left and came back, BJ got promoted etc etc.

But I don't think Roderick at Co-OC was an unmitigated failure.

I don't hate the idea of him as OC.

Diehard Ute
12-25-2014, 08:31 PM
Rumor is DE thinks very highly of A-Rod and he's well liked by the players. I don't hate the idea

Utah
12-25-2014, 08:42 PM
Dan Mullen will be our HC. BJ our OC.

Scratch
12-25-2014, 08:54 PM

Where are you hearing this?

Slim
12-25-2014, 08:57 PM
Popped up on Ute fans tonight by SnowbirdUte

Scratch
12-25-2014, 08:58 PM
Popped up on Ute fans tonight by SnowbirdUte

Snowbird didn't quite come out and say all that, just that he had heard a shocking rumor involving a bulldog or something like that. Just wondering if Utah had heard something in addition to that.

SeattleUte
12-25-2014, 09:01 PM

If that were true I'd be delighted. Of course it's a fantasy.

SeattleUte
12-25-2014, 09:03 PM
Somebody said that Christensen taking the OC job at TAMU is a demotion. I'm sure the entire nation doesn't see it that way. TAMU is a bigger program by any measure. This does not make Whit look bad outside the family.

Diehard Ute
12-25-2014, 09:05 PM
Somebody said that Christensen taking the OC job at TAMU is a demotion. I'm sure the entire nation doesn't see it that way. TAMU is a bigger program by any measure. This does not make Whit look bad outside the family.

He's not taking the OC job. He's taking the O Line/Run Game Coordinator position

Mormon Red Death
12-25-2014, 09:06 PM
I heard it was the o line coach

SeattleUte
12-25-2014, 09:10 PM
He's not taking the OC job. He's taking the O Line/Run Game Coordinator position

That may make sense to a lot of people. Still, outside the family, Whit doesn't look bad.

Coastal Ute
12-25-2014, 09:11 PM
Well isn't the history on this kind of important too? While they weren't exactly lighting it up, Shramrod was serviceable until a seemingly can't miss opportunity came with Chow. Somewhere in there Arod left and came back and left and came back, BJ got promoted etc etc.

But I don't think Roderick at Co-OC was an unmitigated failure.

I don't hate the idea of him as OC.

I don't either. In fact, I have a good feeling about him. I agree that the offense was serviceable with him as a co-oc. I just remember being frustrated at times. But that has always been the case with our O.

NorthwestUteFan
12-25-2014, 09:48 PM
Snowbird didn't quite come out and say all that, just that he had heard a shocking rumor involving a bulldog or something like that. Just wondering if Utah had heard something in addition to that.

LOL. It wasn't Miss St Bulldogs, it was Samford Bulldogs. Sheesh!

Actually if DM and BJ came to coach I will be overjoyed. Perhaps we can get a consistent PAC-quality Oh-fense. And maybe Whitt will get hired to replace Bronco.

LA Ute
12-25-2014, 10:02 PM

That may have been a factor. It's not why he took off in mid-season.

Diehard Ute
12-25-2014, 10:05 PM
That may have been a factor. It's not why he took off in mid-season.

Must have been a special clause in his contract then....only other people who get such a benefit are legislators.

Old Standing ute
12-25-2014, 10:11 PM
Why is everyone saying Hill wants Whitt gone? Is there anything to this, or is it just something someone threw out as a possibility?

I over heard Gordon Monson's wife say this at the grocery store--so it must be true.

jrj84105
12-25-2014, 10:17 PM
The DC hire was a bad move from the beginning. I don't know why people thought we were hiring Gary Pinkel instead of a washed up asshole from Wyoming. We need offensive stability, dynamic hires for the coaching staff, and improved recruiting. KW is not the guy for that. I'm elated that DC is gone, and hopeful that we'll get past the fear of change and turn the page on a new chapter in Utah football with a new head coach.

Utah
12-25-2014, 10:30 PM
My guess (dream) on the coaching staff:

HC - Dan Mullen
OC - Billy Gonzales
QB - BJ
RB - Erickson
OL - Harding
DC - Ed Orgeron
DL - Steve Fifita
LB - Orgeron
CB - Shah
S - Scalley

LA Ute
12-25-2014, 11:08 PM
The DC hire was a bad move from the beginning. I don't know why people thought we were hiring Gary Pinkel instead of a washed up asshole from Wyoming. We need offensive stability, dynamic hires for the coaching staff, and improved recruiting. KW is not the guy for that. I'm elated that DC is gone, and hopeful that we'll get passed fear of change and turn the page on a new chapter in Utah football with a new head coach.

Seems like this little episode should have been seen as a red flag:

Dave Christensen whispering sweet nothings to Troy Calhoun (http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=318_1350757268)

UtahsMrSports
12-26-2014, 12:33 AM
Tom cella is a buddy of mine. He is saying that whitt will meet with dr hill tomorow and dans name has come up. Sooooo yeah.

Homer Crimson
12-26-2014, 02:26 AM
That may make sense to a lot of people. Still, outside the family, Whit doesn't look bad.

Yeah, because eight OCs in eight years looks fine. The OC is gone, the DC is gone, Kyle is next- Hill is cleaning house.

TribUTE
12-26-2014, 07:32 AM
Yeah, because eight OCs in eight years looks fine. The OC is gone, the DC is gone, Kyle is next- Hill is cleaning house.

It would take unbelievable moxy to clean house after last season with all the players we have coming back. If that is what is going on, Hill is playing with fire.

Utah
12-26-2014, 07:55 AM
It would take unbelievable moxy to clean house after last season with all the players we have coming back. If that is what is going on, Hill is playing with fire.

Or is it the perfect time? Odds are, if you bring in a new coach, he will have a great season. Whitt is bringing in new coaches everywhere. So a new HC isn't too different anyways.

#1 Utefan
12-26-2014, 08:24 AM
Or is it the perfect time? Odds are, if you bring in a new coach, he will have a great season. Whitt is bringing in new coaches everywhere. So a new HC isn't too different anyways.

I guess we are Nebraska now and run off coaches after 9 win seasons. Hill better be careful. People that play with fire often get burned. If he screws this up, I will join the torch and pitchfork mob asking for his head as well.

Old Standing ute
12-26-2014, 08:43 AM
I guess we are Nebraska now and run off coaches after 9 win seasons. Hill better be careful. People that play with fire often get burned. If he screws this up, I will join the torch and pitchfork mob asking for his head as well.

Agree,
but I am still waiting for someone to say why Chris Hill would do this--football team won 9 games, a bowl & is ranked. New facility in place.
BB team is ranked & new facility is being built.
Hill is closing in on retirement.
Why would he need this type of grief----?

Utah
12-26-2014, 08:46 AM
Because Hill thinks he can cement his legacy. Two top 25 programs. The football team was a QB away from PAC-12 title game. He got Urban here before. Why not bring his offense back? Go out with a bang.

Whitt hasn't exactly lit the world on fire with all his OC's.

Worst case scenario? We have recruiting classes in the 50's and go 5-7.

LA Ute
12-26-2014, 08:54 AM
It does seem out of character for Dr. Hill.

sancho
12-26-2014, 08:56 AM
I think we have Arod and Scalley as coordinators next year, and I'm fine with that. They'll both do a nice job, and the promote from within thing will be good for us long term.

UtahsMrSports
12-26-2014, 09:20 AM
Utah football has taken another step toward mike tyson status in that anything i read is not surprising. Kyrylo fesenko could be hired today and i would just shrug my shoulders.

jrj84105
12-26-2014, 10:20 AM

Kyle Whittingham was HC at Utah for a full decade. Nobody will think he was run off unfairly after burning through 8 OC's and landing a bottom tier P5 recruiting class. A bad hire could put us down to 3-4 wins, but is that really much worse than 5 wins? Now that realignment has settled in, we can only fall so far, so the risk is already largely mitigated. Hill has the opportunity to be more risk tolerant, and he's not going to get that out of a very risk averse KW. I think the general trend is away from the old-school risk averse style of football that KW embodies toward a risk heavy, offense-first, explosive style of football. The college football game at the P5 level has simply changed, and although KW got more wins this year, he didn't show that he was capable of changing his approach to match the new environment, which is what his employers really wanted to see.

sancho
12-26-2014, 10:31 AM
Kyle Whittingham was HC at Utah for a full decade. Nobody will think he was run off unfairly after burning through 8 OC's and landing a bottom tier P5 recruiting class.

I will. It makes no sense to drop a guy after such a successful season. Kyle was in the running for COY until the Arizona game. He has been courted by a top national program. You don't let something like that go just so you can bring a new offensive scheme and become the new Cal, Wazzu, or Colorado. I still prefer winning over running an air raid.

No possible replacement brings what Kyle brings. I guess Anderson, Wells, Frost or Mullen are closest, but they aren't Kyle.

DrumNFeather
12-26-2014, 10:41 AM
I will. It makes no sense to drop a guy after such a successful season. Kyle was in the running for COY until the Arizona game. He has been courted by a top national program. You don't let something like that go just so you can bring a new offensive scheme and become the new Cal, Wazzu, or Colorado. I still prefer winning over running an air raid.

No possible replacement brings what Kyle brings. I guess Anderson, Wells, Frost or Mullen are closest, but they aren't Kyle.

Yup. We have to be careful what we wish for here. In Whit you have a proven commodity (say what you will, the guy has won 80 games here). If you try to bring in the hot coordinator, you'd better be ready for the football version of Giac or Boylen. That's not a reason to not make the move, but I think the smart play here first and foremost is for Whit and Hill to sit down and work out their differences (if there be any) before we just start looking at moving on.

Obviously if somehow a "name" is interested in the job, that would change the equation a little bit, but I would still lean on the side of doing what you can to work it out with Kyle, unless he has decided that he just doesn't want to be here and he is forcing your hand, which I have a hard-ish time believing.

Rocker Ute
12-26-2014, 11:45 AM
Here is me for throwing my hat in the ring that all of these Whittingham getting tossed rumors as horsecrap, at least it better be.

What are we trying to do? If losing an OC (and a DC that we've been speculating since the beginning of the season was going to walk) trumps a 9 win season in the second toughest division in college football; winning against people like UCLA, USC, Michigan etc; consistently selling out the stadium; commanding one of the best special teams units in the nation; and overseeing one of the best defenses in the nation... well that is just messed up.

I will be beyond pissed if Whittingham doesn't get to coach the group he has put together.

NorthwestUteFan
12-26-2014, 11:58 AM
You may as well send in your resume for OC. You will be at least on par with the skill level of Whitt's other hires.

Malaise Forever!

LA Ute
12-26-2014, 12:00 PM
My fondest wish is that Kyle stays at the U. and takes the program to the promised land. So that's where i am.

(Speculation warning.) Having said that, it might just be that the powers that be are thinking very long-term and are focusing not on the next season, or even on the next 5 seasons. Maybe there's a play under way for a statement-making hire. Mullen would be such a hire, IMO. That would explain the apparent indifference to Sitake et al. leaving.

This is just me, based on what I've seen on the Internet and what I have heard Hill say on other contexts about the U's long-term plans.

#1 Utefan
12-26-2014, 01:29 PM
My fondest wish is that Kyle stays at the U. and takes the program to the promised land. So that's where i am.

(Speculation warning.) Having said that, it might just be that the powers that be are thinking very long-term and are focusing not on the next season, or even on the next 5 seasons. Maybe there's a play under way for a statement-making hire. Mullen would be such a hire, IMO. That would explain the apparent indifference to Sitake et al. leaving.

This is just me, based on what I've seen on the Internet and what I have heard Hill say on other contexts about the U's long-term plans.

If true, he is playing a very dangerous game. If they are ting to push a coach the caliber of Kyle out, he better know for a fact Mullen or someone of that caliber is waiting in the wings and prepared to accept. If not, I want Hill gone as well.

sancho
12-26-2014, 01:37 PM
If true, he is playing a very dangerous game. If they are ting to push a coach the caliber of Kyle out, he better know for a fact Mullen or someone of that caliber is waiting in the wings and prepared to accept. If not, I want Hill gone as well.

Better be more than just Mullen. Mullen had one hot season at MSU, and it was built on fluff. One year ago today, the good people of Starkville would have been happy with the prospect of him leaving.

Two Utes
12-26-2014, 01:38 PM

I agree. This would be a huge nail in the coffin for the fine Dr. Hill. You could argue very easily that this was Whit's best team. You could argue that this was the U's best team of all freaking time (maybe 2004 beats them, but It would be a damn close game). This is Whit's f'ing D and it always has been. He can replace Sitake (recruiting is another thing). As far as O is concerned, we all knew DC was gone (and wanted him gone) 6 weeks ago. It's funny how him actually going somehow changes the perception.

If Hill is pushing Whit out (and he doesn't have Mullen actually signed) he has jumped the shark and needs to retire.

Homer Crimson
12-26-2014, 01:45 PM
This is the only thing giving me pause at this moment- that this would blow up in Hill's face if he doesn't have a solid replacement in the wings (and even if he does, a lot of fans are going to be upset). Anyone can see how Hill and Boosters got fed up with Kyle's hiring blunders, but this is a really dangerous move that could be wildly unpopular.

Sullyute
12-26-2014, 01:47 PM

I agree 100% with sancho. After watching programs run through head coaches like we go through OC's, what makes us think that the next guy is going to do better than Whit? Everyone agrees that we are one player away from having a tremendous football team. Just hire an assistant coach that has a track record of recruiting good QBs and let Whit work his magic with the rest of the team.

jrj84105
12-26-2014, 01:56 PM
You guys are nuts.

Mississippi State will have had 19 bowl appearances and 11 bowl victories in the history of the program. Mullen will have had five of those appearances (in 6 years) and four of the victories if he wins this year. He has dominated their instate rival and led MSU to it's only #1 AP poll appearance in the history of the program. If you don't think Mullen is doing great things at a historically disadvantaged program in the only division in the country better than the PAC South, you're deluded.

jrj84105
12-26-2014, 01:57 PM
Everyone agrees that we are one player away from having a tremendous football team. Just hire an assistant coach that has a track record of recruiting good QBs and let Whit work his magic with the rest of the team.We are an entire offense away from having a tremendous football team. Travis Wilson has bourne the brunt of all the criticism that our admin is now correctly laying at the feet of KW.

justaute
12-26-2014, 02:01 PM
Didn't Whit say o-line is a strength of the team for the past two years? :)

We are an entire offense away from having a tremendous football team. Travis Wilson has bourne the brunt of all the criticism that our admin is now correctly laying at the feet of KW.

SeattleUte
12-26-2014, 02:07 PM
You guys are nuts.

Mississippi State will have had 19 bowl appearances and 11 bowl victories in the history of the program. Mullen will have had five of those appearances (in 6 years) and four of the victories if he wins this year. He has dominated their instate rival and led MSU to it's only #1 AP poll appearance in the history of the program. If you don't think Mullen is doing great things at a historically disadvantaged program in the only division in the country better than the PAC South, you're deluded.

Plese indulge your sickening pornographic fantacies of Mullen being accessible to Utah in private.

Two Utes
12-26-2014, 02:24 PM
We are an entire offense away from having a tremendous football team. Travis Wilson has bourne the brunt of all the criticism that our admin is now correctly laying at the feet of KW.

You think it's that easy? Just get a guy who can make some offense and we are awesome. That isn't how college football works. Whittingham is overachieving and Utah fans like you are delusional.

jrj84105
12-26-2014, 02:37 PM
Didn't Whit say o-line is a strength of the team for the past two years? :)

Exactly.....or was it QB depth?
I don't think we'll necesarily land Mullen or someone of his calibur, but to say that he's not better suited to our current situation (desperate need for offensive system above all else) is ludicrous. I don't think we even have to land a great coach to improve- we have just reached a point where we have certain continual problems and a HC who doesn't seem to have any aptitude for fixing those specific problems. I wouldn't be surprised if this change resulted in a downturn, but I also think the notion of Utah riding off into the sunset of continuous 9 win seasons with KW at HC and KS in a permanent holding pattern at DC with a rotating cast of less and less effective OC's is riduculously wishful thinking.

justaute
12-26-2014, 03:55 PM
Doesn't matter.

Utah is a basketball school. Wait -- it's a women's gymnastics school. Nope -- it's a skiing school. Ah, helllll...

Scorcho
12-26-2014, 04:53 PM
Dave Christensen leaving for A&M is on Chris Hill (said no one ever).

Hmmm, let see Whitt has had 8 different people as the OC (clearly that's on Whitt),

but 2 coaches on the defensive side if the ball leave and that's on Chris Hill?

Not buying it.

mUUser
12-26-2014, 05:30 PM
Good gawd did I just enter the twilight zone? Fire Whitt. For who? Urban & Satan ain't available. We had a shot at Mullen 10 years ago and went with Whitt. Where were all the Mullen lovers then? Face it, he's in the SEC now making SEC money with no strong ties to Utah, the west or the P12.

Unless Hill got a lobotomy for Christmas, we replace our coordinators and move on. Maybe we can get Mullen's right hand man....Billy G? Run Whitt's D through Fifita, Toone or Scalley. If he fails, I mean legitimately fails, like Giac or Boylen....or its clear he's incapable of going to the next level, like Mac, then, and only then does Hill let him go. Seems to me there's a ways to go before we get there, however.

I hope this talk of replacing Whitt is a satirical piece in The Onion. Yikes!

USS Utah
12-26-2014, 05:54 PM
I honestly don't know what to believe. The local media had zero credibility before this week and everything I am hearing now is just plain ridiculous.

LA Ute
12-26-2014, 05:59 PM
Matt Piper today (http://www.sltrib.com/sports/1992101-155/utah-football-sources-say-growing-rift) (caveat: who knows where he is getting his information, with so many agendas at work here):

Emails obtained through Utah’s open-records law show that Whittingham had suggested "a significant increase" in Sitake’s pay. Hill then offered what he considered a sizable raise for the defensive coordinator, a figure that was redacted in the Dec. 5 email but amounted to an increase of $50,000 per year over a two-year deal, according to a source.

"If this does not meet your expectations as a significant raise, please let me know," Hill wrote to Whittingham. "We do not want to lose Kalani to another defensive coordinator position so please let me know in that case if it involves money and/or other issues."
Hill made follow-up offers to Sitake, the amounts of which were unknown. A source said Hill’s inability to lock up Sitake made Whittingham feel that Hill was trying to sabotage his program.

The Utah athletic department declined to make either Hill or Whittingham available to comment for this story.

Christensen also was offered a two-year deal, and Tuiaki and other assistants were offered one-year deals by the U., which redacted the amount of the offers because negotiations were ongoing at the time of the records request.

Whittingham appears to have asked whether Tuiaki’s deal could be sweetened — Utah’s defense led the nation in sacks, with 52, largely due to Tuiaki’s position group — and Hill responded that his salary could be increased, but that he would not be offered a multiyear deal.

The emails also indicate that Whittingham inquired about his own deal. A source said the coach wanted a greater guarantee of his base salary, which he would receive if he were fired. His current contract, which runs through 2016, includes a base and guarantee of $750,000 per year. With additional income from side deals, the total package is worth $2.4 million.

Hill’s offer did not satisfy him, the source said, further straining the relationship. The source confirmed speculation that Whittingham has met with administrators at other schools.

UtahsMrSports
12-26-2014, 06:32 PM
That last line in the piper article is interesting. Its pretty clear he is lookingarpund. But how seriously is the question.

Stay tuned

justaute
12-27-2014, 02:48 PM
My source tells me Gary Patterson and his entire staff will be joining Utah for next season.

OrangeUte
12-27-2014, 03:29 PM
My source tells me Gary Patterson and his entire staff will be joining Utah for next season.

Haha!

This makes sense.

UTEopia
01-01-2015, 09:36 AM
What about Mike Sanford Jr., the OC at Boise St. I watched a little bit of that game and it looks like he knows what he was doing. IMO, Boise's personnel is a lot more similar to what we have at Utah than the Oregon personnel. He runs a spread attack without designed QB run although he QB can get a few yards if the pass is not there. I wouldn't mind Sanford Jr. at all except I think it would be hard for guys like Erickson, Harding and ARod to work for a 32 year old.

sancho
01-01-2015, 09:42 AM
What about Mike Sanford Jr., the OC at Boise St. I watched a little bit of that game and it looks like he knows what he was doing. IMO, Boise's personnel is a lot more similar to what we have at Utah than the Oregon personnel. He runs a spread attack without designed QB run although he QB can get a few yards if the pass is not there. I wouldn't mind Sanford Jr. at all except I think it would be hard for guys like Erickson, Harding and ARod to work for a 32 year old.

I just want to say that I floated Sanford Jr last week before it was cool!

But, yeah, he runs and passes with balance. He knows how to use a good RB, and his QB led the nation in completion percentage. Boise also runs 1-2 trick plays per game.

They mentioned during the game yesterday that some other P5 went after Sanford Jr last year but could not convince him to come. I can't remember which school it was. He is a Boise State grad, and so is Bryan Harsin. They might just stick together up there. They have a pretty easy path to a NY6 Bowl every year.

edit: it was Vanderbilt that he turned down.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-01-2015, 10:29 AM
Kkkb

Diehard Ute
01-01-2015, 10:47 AM
Kkkb

Bless you

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-01-2015, 11:19 AM
Bless you

Apparently, my 9-month old has strong opinions on next year's staff.

DanielLaRusso
01-09-2015, 01:19 PM
So I was just talking to a friend online and he mentioned that Dennis Erickson called the plays for the bowl game......Uh, is this a thing now or is it actually true?

Applejack
01-09-2015, 01:21 PM
So I was just talking to a friend online and he mentioned that Dennis Erickson called the plays for the bowl game......Uh, is this a thing now or is it actually true?

One day the Australians take down this website, the next day DanielSon starts posting after an unnecessarily long absence. Coincidence?

NorthwestUteFan
01-09-2015, 01:23 PM

I don't recall the bowl game announcers calling the next play based on the formation, so it is safe to assume Dennis Erickson had something to do with it.

LA Ute
01-09-2015, 10:37 PM
A report on another board says that Robert Anae is under conisderation. Kyle wouldn't do that, would he?

sancho
01-09-2015, 10:41 PM
A report on another board says that Robert Anae is under conisderation. Kyle wouldn't do that, would he?

I'm all for it. Anae has always been good. Just make sure he doesn't do the weird enter the field thing.

NorthwestUteFan
01-09-2015, 11:16 PM
Anae's receivers ALWAYS catch the ball. That is a positive.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-10-2015, 12:10 AM
I'm all for it. Anae has always been good. Just make sure he doesn't do the weird enter the field thing.

At least Kyle wouldn't let him talk to the media. That's Anae's biggest weakness.

utefan
01-10-2015, 09:32 AM
I sure hope not. I want another top notch recruiter like Erickson.

In fact, I'd be perfectly happy making Erickson the O.C and letting him hire a strong recruiting position coach.

LA Ute
01-10-2015, 09:37 AM
The more I think about the happier I'd be with Erickson, IF Erickson has the fire in the belly to do the job. Maybe A-Rod could be Assistant O.C. (but no more of the co-coordinator stuff, please -- "Roderickson," I can hear it now). The continuity would be good.

utefan
01-10-2015, 09:49 AM
The more I think about the happier I'd be with Erickson, IF Erickson has the fire in the belly to do the job. Maybe A-Rod could be Assistant O.C. (but no more of the co-coordinator stuff, please -- "Roderickson," I can hear it now). The continuity would be good.
Roderickson, hahaha!

Boy I sure hope that doesn't happen.

Erickson is an offensive genius who's won a championship. If he wants it, the job should be his with no question about it. We're fortunate to have him on the staff.

Whoever ends up getting the job, I hope Kyle backs off and lets him run the offense.

And please, no zoobs.

LA Ute
01-10-2015, 10:05 AM
I saw a report that Kyle has hired Cyrus Satoafaiga to be the LB coach. He played LB at Utah and graduated in 1998:

http://www.utahutes.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/utah-m-footbl-1998outlook.htmlv

Although there is a guy by that name in San Diego who is a psychotherapist, there's also a guy who coaches at Grossmont College by that name:

http://gctest.grossmont.edu/campus-life/athletics/files/m-football/2014/GROSSMONT%20POLY%20CAMP.pdf

Maybe Cyrus Satoafaiga is a psychotherapist who moonlights as a JC coach? Or maybe there is a father-son thing going on here.

sancho
01-13-2015, 10:17 AM
In fact, I'd be perfectly happy making Erickson the O.C and letting him hire a strong recruiting position coach.

I'd rather have arod. I'm done with guys whose offenses were modern 20 years ago.