PDA

View Full Version : "Unbroken"

LA Ute
12-27-2014, 10:34 AM
We saw "Unbroken" yesterday and I recommend it enthusiastically. The movie is faithful to the book -- which I also heartily recommend. Some have expressed disappointment that the movie leaves out the story of Louis Zamperini's post-war depression, PTSD and alcoholism, as well as his life-changing religious conversion. That did not bother me, however. There's an inspiring post-script summarizing what Louis did after the war, and that was enough for me.

In fairness to the filmmakers, I don't think the entire book could have been compressed into one movie anyway, and the addition of the religious material would have been polarizing to many audiences and would have limited the movie's appeal. Besides, that past of the story was already quite matter-of-fact in the book and to use it would have required a lot of interpretation. It would have been a no-win situation for the director (Angelina Jolie, who I think will get an Oscar nomination.) Fewer people would know about Louis Zamperini as a result, which would have been a real shame.

So go see this movie! It is not for young children -- there are many scenes of men in deadly, frightening peril, plus the POW camp brutality -- but I think it is quite appropriate for family viewing.

<font color="#141823"><span style="font-family: Helvetica">
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrjJbl7kRrI

Trailer and other info here:

http://www.unbrokenfilm.com/

Diehard Ute
12-27-2014, 03:04 PM
We saw "Unbroken" yesterday and I recommend it enthusiastically. The movie is faithful to the book -- which I also heartily recommend. Some have expressed disappointment that the movie leaves out the story of Louis Zamperini's post-war depression, PTSD and alcoholism, as well as his life-changing religious conversion. That did not bother me, however. There's an inspiring post-script summarizing what Louis did after the war, and that was enough for me.

In fairness to the filmmakers, I don't think the entire book could have been compressed into one movie anyway, and the addition of the religious material would have been polarizing to many audiences and would have limited the movie's appeal. Besides, that past of the story was already quite matter-of-fact in the book and to use it would have required a lot of interpretation. It would have been a no-win situation for the director (Angelina Jolie, who I think will get an Oscar nomination.) Fewer people would know about Louis Zamperini as a result, which would have been a real shame.

So go see this movie! It is not for young children -- there are many scenes of men in deadly, frightening peril, plus the POW camp brutality -- but I think it is quite appropriate for family viewing.

Trailer and other info here:

http://www.unbrokenfilm.com/

It was good however it is rather slow in a lot of spots

mUUser
01-02-2015, 10:19 PM
2.5 stars. Take it or leave it. I thought I read one critic say it was an endurance test for the audience. Seem like an apt description for this slower paced 140 minute movie.

LA Ute
01-10-2015, 09:33 AM
2.5 stars. Take it or leave it. I thought I read one critic say it was an endurance test for the audience. Seem like an apt description for this slower paced 140 minute movie.

Audiences liked it (74%) per Rotten Tomatoes. Only 49% of critics did. The book is highly recommended in any event.

OrangeUte
01-11-2015, 08:53 AM
I have read the book. I have seen the movie. My thoughts.

Critics that panned this as a two hour gruel must not have known what this movie was about before seeing it. It is an inspirational story, but it is a brutal story.

Angelina Jolie is a good director. I am sure that there are technical problems with the movie. All movies have them. But, she tells a great story and catches the importance of the events and the strength of this incredible man.

The movie is absolutely faithful to the book. Another movie could tell about his PTSD and subsequent life of good. But, that's not the point of the book or movie. The point is that this man went through hell and survived. That is the inspiring message. I thought his religious nature was captured sufficiently through the flashback to his childhood listening to the sermon at church and in his commitment to God in the life raft.

Beautifully done. It met my expectations and my expectations were lofty because I enjoyed the book so much.