PDA

View Full Version : John Pease as DC?

UtahsMrSports
02-02-2015, 07:29 AM
I just got a notification from Utahathletics..............well, ok then! John Pease is the new DC and Dline coach!

sancho
02-02-2015, 07:33 AM
I just got a notification from Utahathletics..............well, ok then! John Pease is the new DC and Dline coach!

And Justin Ena as linebackers coach.

UtahsMrSports
02-02-2015, 07:38 AM
And Justin Ena as linebackers coach.

With Harding and A-Rod as co-offensive coordinators.

sancho
02-02-2015, 07:45 AM

Scalley as special teams. Promotions for everyone. This all seems like good news to me.

Announced today so that Ena can make one last pitch to Folau?

Brian
02-02-2015, 07:51 AM
Pease seems like a great hire!

Co-OC: Hmmm, I hope this work out...

Rocker Ute
02-02-2015, 08:09 AM

Sweet, now we can start complaining about 9 coordinators in the past 8 years.

UtahsMrSports
02-02-2015, 08:18 AM
I think these are good hires. It provides some stability that we desperately need!

Applejack
02-02-2015, 08:19 AM
Is whit still head coach or is he taking over the linebackers at byu?

UtahsMrSports
02-02-2015, 08:25 AM
Is whit still head coach or is he taking over the linebackers at byu?

Linebackers coach at BYU would be too big of a step up from head coach at utah. He'd probably need to be a GA first, you know, kind of prove himself before being entrusted with anything at such a powerful and prestigious program.

mpfunk
02-02-2015, 08:28 AM
A-Rod still QB coach, I guess we also couldn't get anyone decent to take that job either. We knew it was going to be this underwhelming, but it is still disappointing.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

sancho
02-02-2015, 08:35 AM
A-Rod still QB coach, I guess we also couldn't get anyone decent to take that job either. We knew it was going to be this underwhelming, but it is still disappointing.

Well, with more than a month's worth of time to think/hope/dream the collective Utah fan base came up with only one name: Mike Sanford Jr. I never saw another realistic suggestion. These guys are going to do well.

LA Ute
02-02-2015, 08:37 AM
Just to save everyone the trouble of finding it, here's the entire press release:

SALT LAKE CITY -
Utah football coach Kyle Whittingham (http://www.utahutes.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/kyle_whittingham_37017.html) announced new offensive and defensive coordinators, a new defensive assistant and four staff promotions at a team meeting this morning.

Dennis Erickson (http://www.utahutes.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/dennis_erickson_838871.html) was promoted to assistant head coach, Aaron Roderick (http://www.utahutes.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/aaron_roderick_204547.html) and Jim Harding (http://www.utahutes.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/jim_harding_881778.html) were named co-offensive coordinators, John Pease (http://www.utahutes.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/john_pease_399827.html) returns to the Utah staff as the defensive coordinator and Justin Ena was hired to coach the linebackers. Also receiving a new title was Morgan Scalley, who will serve as the special teams' coordinator in addition to coaching the safeties.

The moves leave Utah with one assistant coach vacancy to be filled.

Erickson, in his third season with the Utes, will continue to coach the running backs in his new role as the assistant head coach. Roderick, a member of Whittingham's staff since he took the reins back in 2005, is the co-offensive coordinator for the second time of his Utah career. Roderick also held the title in 2010. Harding enters his second season on the Utah staff and has previous experience as a co-offensive coordinator at Wyoming (2013). Roderick (quarterbacks) and Harding (offensive line) will retain their position coaching duties.

Pease comes out of retirement for his second time to become Utah's defensive coordinator and defensive line coach. He first retired from coaching in 2005 after nearly two decades as an NFL assistant coach (1986-2005) and 15 years as a college assistant coach (1968-82). In 2009, he was lured out of retirement by Whittingham to coach the U. defensive line. After two seasons--during which time he coached current NFL starters Koa Misi (http://www.utahutes.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/koa_misi_293426.html) and Sealver Siliga--he retired again. Pease, who played for Utah from 1963-64, is now in his fourth stint as a Utah assistant coach. He was a graduate assistant from 1968-69 and coached the linebackers in 1977.

Ena comes to Utah from Weber State, where he was the defensive coordinator and linebackers coach last season. Before that, he spent six years at Southern Utah, the last four as the Thunderbird defensive coordinator. Under Ena, SUU finished second in the Big Sky in total defense and third in scoring defense in 2013. From 2008-09 he was SUU's special teams coordinator. In 2009, the Thunderbirds led the nation in punting and finished ninth in punt return average.

Applejack
02-02-2015, 08:41 AM
Is there a more obvious way for Whit to say "F YOU, I COACH THE DEFENSE" then to hire a guy that has been retired since 2010?

concerned
02-02-2015, 08:46 AM
Is there a more obvious way for Whit to say "F YOU, I COACH THE DEFENSE" then to hire a guy that has been retired since 2010?
I interpreted as a statement to Scalley: you are not quite ready yet, but I am not going to hire someone who will stand in the way of your career advancement.

Sullyute
02-02-2015, 08:47 AM
I interpreted as a statement to Scalley: you are not quite ready yet, but I am not going to hire someone who will stand in the way of your career advancement.

Actually based on Justin Ena's resume, Scalley might have some competition for the future DC job.

Utah
02-02-2015, 08:49 AM
I like ARod/Harding as Co-OC's.

Harding is a very good coach and appears to be a much better recruiter than our beloved KS. This keeps him here and happy.

ARod as OC ensures that we will have the same OC next year. ARod isn't going anywhere.

No matter the OC, Whitt's teams have scored 28-30 points per game and 24-26 points vs P5 opponents. ARod won't help/hurt that. But what he does do is provides stability and gets rid of the negative recruiting.

I like what we've done. No "sexy" hires, but Chow, Erickson and DC were all "sexy" hires that blew up in Whitt's face. ARod is a better recruiter than Sitake, Harding is better than ARod.

I like it.

Utah
02-02-2015, 08:51 AM
Also, with Pease and Scalley moving to ST coach, we know who the real DC is. Whitt will take over the defense.

Wouldn't surprise me if Pease is only here one year, and is only here to sway a couple of kids to sign.

DrumNFeather
02-02-2015, 08:51 AM
I would think that the Co-OC picture is a little clearer then it was previously with A-Rod and Shramm. Both of those guys had clear designs on being THE OC someday. I don't really get that sense from Harding. OL seems to be his wheelhouse, and he's blown up recruiting the OL for us this year (on paper). As the run game coordinator, the call will be very simple..."hand it to booker." So, from that perspective, I think we'll finally see what A-Rod can do, and remember, much of what we heard was that Erickson supported A-Rod. If this hire keeps Erickson around this program for a few more years, then I'm on board with it.

I think it's clear that Whit is grooming one of the younger guys to take over at DC, so the Pease hire doesn't bother me very much.

He's got at least one more spot to fill, so it'll be interesting to see what he does there.

Applejack
02-02-2015, 08:52 AM
I would like to see more diversity on this staff. And by diversity, I mean polynesians.

sancho
02-02-2015, 08:53 AM
Based on rumors about Christensen, this seems like an OC upgrade to me.

I would have never thought it 6 months ago, but based on Sitake's recently demonstrated lack of decision making skills, this may be an upgrade at DC as well.

sancho
02-02-2015, 08:54 AM
Well, with more than a month's worth of time to think/hope/dream the collective Utah fan base came up with only one name: Mike Sanford Jr. I never saw another realistic suggestion. These guys are going to do well.

I take it back. I keep forgetting about Anae. There were two possibilities floated by fans. I don't think Sanford was ever coming, but maybe we could have had Anae. I would have liked that.

sancho
02-02-2015, 08:56 AM
I would like to see more diversity on this staff. And by diversity, I mean polynesians.

One more chance - we need a TE coach. And I agree. Polynesian players are the strength of this program.

Speaking of TEs, Noah tweeted that he his all torn up about this Utah/OSU decision. It's always so interesting to be an outside observer on people struggling with what should be easy decisions. Does this kid not have coached, family, friends who care about enough to point out that there is an obvious right call here? I hope I am not as wishy washy with my kids when they start making big decisions.

DrumNFeather
02-02-2015, 08:57 AM
QBs and who recruited them:

Wilson - A-Rod
Manning - A-Rod
K. Thompson - DC
J. Thompson - DC
Isom - BJ
Cox - BJ
Hansen - Jay Hill

sancho
02-02-2015, 09:01 AM
QBs and who recruited them:

Wilson - A-Rod
Manning - A-Rod
K. Thompson - DC
J. Thompson - DC
Isom - BJ
Cox - BJ
Hansen - Jay Hill

I'm not sure what to make of that, but it's a little depressing.

DrumNFeather
02-02-2015, 09:02 AM
I'm not sure what to make of that, but it's a little depressing.

Probably nothing.

Tuimanga, who is now with rivals, tweeted that the offensive staff is very unified, so maybe we see improved QB play, no matter who it is, just based on everyone being on the same page. Wouldn't that be nice?

sancho
02-02-2015, 09:04 AM
Probably nothing.

Tuimanga, who is now with rivals, tweeted that the offensive staff is very unified, so maybe we see improved QB play, no matter who it is, just based on everyone being on the same page. Wouldn't that be nice?

Continuity. It's the one thing we haven't tried yet.

Applejack
02-02-2015, 09:11 AM
Continuity. It's the one thing we haven't tried yet.

Yes we have. We've tried a different version of it every year!

jrj84105
02-02-2015, 09:14 AM
Actually based on Justin Ena's resume, Scalley might have some competition for the future DC job.

Yup. Pease is going to be a bridge to Ena at DC.

concerned
02-02-2015, 09:15 AM

why Ena rather than Scalley

Sullyute
02-02-2015, 09:15 AM
Tuimanga, who is now with rivals, tweeted that the offensive staff is very unified

All else stated, this might be the biggest benefit. This looks like a very unified staff and maybe the "Family on 3" mantra will actually mean something this year.

jrj84105
02-02-2015, 09:18 AM
One more chance - we need a TE coach. And I agree. Polynesian players are the strength of this program.
I REALLY hope we move ARod to TE's and bring in a QB coach. I've wondered if they would take a look at Wyoming's QB coach. He's from Hawaii, took WSU to a Rose Bowl under Price (very similar offense to DE's and probably ARod's), coached with Harding at Wyoming under DC's system, and was retained by their new pro-style HC. It seems like he would mesh really well with ARod, DE, and Harding. That said, Jordan Wynn is probably more likely.

Utah
02-02-2015, 09:18 AM

This. With Scalley to ST coach, Whitt is our DC this year.

I think Pease is there to help Ena get ready to be DC and to show the ropes to Elliss.

Next year, Ena as our DC and Elliss as our DL coach.

LA Ute
02-02-2015, 09:22 AM
I REALLY hope we move ARod to TE's and bring in a QB coach. I've wondered if they would take a look at Wyoming's QB coach. He's from Hawaii, took WSU to a Rose Bowl under Price (very similar offense to DE's and probably ARod's), coached with Harding at Wyoming under DC's system, and was retained by their new pro-style HC. It seems like he would mesh really well with ARod, DE, and Harding. That said, Jordan Wynn is probably more likely.

Program insiders have said that Jordan was a very smart QB and excelled at pre-snap reads. He's had a few years of learning under Chow. I'd be pretty happy to see him coaching our QBs.

jrj84105
02-02-2015, 09:25 AM
why Ena rather than Scalley

Scalley's not going to be any more ready in two years than he is now. KW just Jay Hilled him over to special teams. Ena's on a much better career trajectory at this point than Scalley.

jrj84105
02-02-2015, 09:27 AM
Program insiders have said that Jordan was a very smart QB and excelled at pre-snap reads. He's had a few years of learning under Chow. I'd be pretty happy to see him coaching our QBs.

I think he'd do well as a coach. I'm just not sure he'd be much of a recruiter which is something this round of hires sort of missed on.

Diehard Ute
02-02-2015, 09:28 AM
Both Kenneth Scott and Troy McCormick tweeted positive reaction to the announcements.

Utah
02-02-2015, 09:47 AM
What about Bingham's old HC as TE coach. You know the guy can recruit. Peck, is that his name?

jrj84105
02-02-2015, 09:53 AM
BYU's RB coach (Mark Atuaia) made some comments earlier about changing jobs. As far as Poly guys on the offensive side, he seems like a possibility. And hey, if Pease can come out of retirement, why not McBride as TE/assistant O-line coach? From the youngest coordinator in FBS to the oldest staff in FBS in three short years.

DrumNFeather
02-02-2015, 11:06 AM
One thing these moves also signify to me is that we all know who is in charge here. There shouldn't be much, if any, ego clashing next year. Kyle has two of his respected elders in the coaching profession in the room to help advise him, and (hopefully) several young and hungry up and coming coaches. We'll see how that translates on the field.

utefan
02-02-2015, 11:20 AM
I like ARod/Harding as Co-OC's.

Harding is a very good coach and appears to be a much better recruiter than our beloved KS. This keeps him here and happy.

ARod as OC ensures that we will have the same OC next year. ARod isn't going anywhere.

No matter the OC, Whitt's teams have scored 28-30 points per game and 24-26 points vs P5 opponents. ARod won't help/hurt that. But what he does do is provides stability and gets rid of the negative recruiting.

I like what we've done. No "sexy" hires, but Chow, Erickson and DC were all "sexy" hires that blew up in Whitt's face. ARod is a better recruiter than Sitake, Harding is better than ARod.

I like it.
DC was not a "sexy" hire. It was heavily criticized. The common thought was that he only got the job because he was a personal friend.

Also the Erickson hiring didn't "blow up" in Whitt's face. He's the best assistant in the staff and we're lucky to have him. He's made Utah's running game one of the best in the Pac 12, and he's the best recruiter on the staff.

Applejack
02-02-2015, 11:22 AM
DC was not a "sexy" hire. It was heavily criticized. The common thought was that he only got the job because he was a personal friend.

Also the Erickson hiring didn't "blow up" in Whitt's face. He's the best assistant in the staff and we're lucky to have him. He's made Utah's running game one of the best in the Pac 12, and he's the best recruiter on the staff.

Totally agree on Erickson. That's the best hire Whit has ever made, period.

mpfunk
02-02-2015, 05:47 PM
Since Whit has taken to hiring 72+ year old retirees for key positions on the team, any reason why he didn't reach out to Ron McBride?

sancho
02-02-2015, 06:08 PM
any reason why he didn't reach out to Ron McBride?

Who says he didn't?