PDA

View Full Version : 2015-16 Utah basketball team

Pages : 1 [2] 3

UBlender
08-28-2015, 09:06 AM
I am still not even sure that we are a tournament team to be honest. We should be, but we really lost a lot in Delon.

I think we're a tournament team just based on our "proven" commodities that return: #JakPot, Chapman, Loveridge, Tucker, Taylor, Wright, Ogbe, Kuzma, Reyes. I think that core, with an average amount of improvement that is to be expected (particularly from the sophomore class) puts Utah in the tournament as a 7-10 seed. Whatever Utah gets from the "unknowns," mainly speaking of Bonam and Bealer is what can elevate the team beyond that. I also do find it odd and interesting that, as scratch alluded to above, Bealer has gone from being the hot prospect that people whispered about to not even being mentioned lately.

Of course I think Tony is getting a little (okay, a lot) over exuberant by saying Final Four, but I still think it's a solid lineup. At worst, we have an NBA center and shooters all over the floor and a coach that has proven to maximize players' utility and preach very good defense.

*If Jakob were to get hurt at any point then any and all projections are immediately out the window.

U-Ute
08-28-2015, 09:46 AM
I hope/expect that by March, Poeltl will be a completely different player than he was last year; dominant in the middle and a top lottery pick. Also signif improvement in Chapman, Kuzma and others. Losing Delon from last year's team would have been devastating; from this year's team, hopefully not as much.

The progress Poeltl made during last season was huge. I think we'll continue to see that trend. He seems to have the desire.

UtahsMrSports
08-29-2015, 10:28 AM
I think we're a tournament team just based on our "proven" commodities that return: #JakPot, Chapman, Loveridge, Tucker, Taylor, Wright, Ogbe, Kuzma, Reyes. I think that core, with an average amount of improvement that is to be expected (particularly from the sophomore class) puts Utah in the tournament as a 7-10 seed. Whatever Utah gets from the "unknowns," mainly speaking of Bonam and Bealer is what can elevate the team beyond that. I also do find it odd and interesting that, as scratch alluded to above, Bealer has gone from being the hot prospect that people whispered about to not even being mentioned lately.

Of course I think Tony is getting a little (okay, a lot) over exuberant by saying Final Four, but I still think it's a solid lineup. At worst, we have an NBA center and shooters all over the floor and a coach that has proven to maximize players' utility and preach very good defense.

*If Jakob were to get hurt at any point then any and all projections are immediately out the window.

Yep. Larry will have to get very creative if that happens.

Potential lineup:

1-Taylor
2-Bonam
3-Loveridge
4-Chapman
5-Poeltl

Backups:
1-Wright, Miller
2/3- Tucker, Ogbe, Bealer
3/4-Kuzma
4/5-Reyes, Mawien

Applejack
08-29-2015, 11:24 AM
Yep. Larry will have to get very creative if that happens.

Potential lineup:

1-Taylor
2-Bonam
3-Loveridge
4-Chapman
5-Poeltl

Backups:
1-Wright, Miller
2/3- Tucker, Ogbe, Bealer
3/4-Kuzma
4/5-Reyes, Mawien

This is the first I've heard of Bonam starting. Actually, it is the first I've heard of Bonam. I hope that Tucker/Ogbe/Wright seizes the spot.

UtahsMrSports
08-29-2015, 01:26 PM
The only thing you need to know about bonam is that he's the new jc everyone is taking up. And he's better than Delon.

Hes a combo of LeBron, Mj, Bird, Magic,and Kareem Abdul Jabbar.

U-Ute
08-29-2015, 05:44 PM
At Fan Fest..

Malwein is a big boy. He dwarfs Kuzma.

JL looks cut.

LA Ute
08-29-2015, 05:48 PM
At Fan Fest..

JL looks cut.

Photos, please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UtahsMrSports
08-29-2015, 06:48 PM
At Fan Fest..

JL looks cut.

Im excited about Mawiens future. Kid has the physocal tools to dominate on d and he has range on his jumper.

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-29-2015, 07:02 PM
Sounds like we missed on the Frenchman.

UBlender
08-29-2015, 09:49 PM
At Fan Fest..

JL looks cut.

Yeah JL was able to lift my boy up to dunk a ball, he must be ripped....okay, my six year old is scrawny so maybe that doesn't tell us anything.

Scratch
08-29-2015, 10:19 PM
Did Mawien dwarf Kuzma from a bulk standpoint or a height standpoint? If he's a couple of inches taller than Kuzma then I'd feel much better about the 5 spot going forward.

justaute
08-29-2015, 11:10 PM
Did Mawien dwarf Kuzma from a bulk standpoint or a height standpoint? If he's a couple of inches taller than Kuzma then I'd feel much better about the 5 spot going forward.

Exactly what I was thinking.

UtahsMrSports
08-29-2015, 11:28 PM
Exactly what I was thinking.

Fwiw, i remember a picture of Mawien last year with LeBron.....he was easily two inches taller, maybe more.

justaute
08-29-2015, 11:41 PM
Fwiw, i remember a picture of Mawien last year with LeBron.....he was easily two inches taller, maybe more.

If I remember correctly, Kuzma is now 6'9". Also, Mawien has broad shoulders.

U-Ute
08-30-2015, 08:32 AM

He may have been slightly taller but his shoulders reminded me of Dwight Howard. He has a huge frame.

Sorry I didn't get any pics. My role as family pack mule for our loot precluded having free hands.

#1 Utefan
08-30-2015, 10:45 AM
He may have been slightly taller but his shoulders reminded me of Dwight Howard. He has a huge frame.

Sorry I didn't get any pics. My role as family pack mule for our loot precluded having free hands.

If he is even half the size of Dwight Howard, we'll be in good shape going forward. Something tells me he needs to still put a lot of meat on those shoulders to be able to adequately compete in the post or down low in the PAC-12.

U-Ute
08-30-2015, 08:32 PM
Yeah JL was able to lift my boy up to dunk a ball, he must be ripped....okay, my six year old is scrawny so maybe that doesn't tell us anything.

Ok. Cut may be a bit strong but he looks like he has an NBA body. He looked very solid.

LA Ute
08-30-2015, 10:39 PM
I changed the name of the thread to include the word "basketball" because some people assumed it was about football. http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg149/autumn59/shrug2.gif

U-Ute
08-31-2015, 10:22 AM
Had so much fun at the LBJ skills camp

LeBron for scale. Oh, and this pic is a year old.

UtahsMrSports
08-31-2015, 10:58 AM
LeBron for scale. Oh, and this pic is a year old.

This is the one I was thinking of. Hard to tell context, but he looks to be 6'10 at least.

UtahsMrSports
09-17-2015, 08:11 AM

I thought this was cool.

UBlender
09-17-2015, 08:22 AM

I thought this was cool.

Interesting. I think Kuzma's athleticism was his biggest asset. I hope that the 25 pounds won't hinder his quickness and leaping. The strength certainly should do him some good.

U-Ute
09-17-2015, 08:39 AM
Interesting. I think Kuzma's athleticism was his biggest asset. I hope that the 25 pounds won't hinder his quickness and leaping. The strength certainly should do him some good.

His first shot every game last year was dangerously close to breaking the hoop hardware already. We may want to invest in some backup backboards.

:saythat:

Applejack
09-17-2015, 10:37 AM
I hope those 25 pounds were all in his head. I'm concerned that he really doesn't understand the game of basketball.

justaute
09-17-2015, 10:44 AM
My thinking exactly. The IQ/understanding of the game is really difficult to teach. In-game recognition and adjustment by the players are partially aptitude, and how far a player can go is partially on attitude.

Don't get me wrong, I'm hopeful Kuzma can take that "next" step. Although he's pretty athletic for his size, his athleticism is not that great among top-tier D1 players.

I hope those 25 pounds were all in his head. I'm concerned that he really doesn't understand the game of basketball.

U-Ute
09-17-2015, 10:50 AM

:clap:

LA Ute
09-17-2015, 11:14 AM

Krysko was all over him to gain weight. In Larry I trust.

UtahsMrSports
09-17-2015, 11:23 AM

I think he was an overwhelmed freshman last year who was anxious when he got on the court because he didn't know how long he'd get to be out there. I think once he gets regular, predictable minutes the game will slow down for him.

SeattleUte
09-18-2015, 12:36 PM
This is pretty exalted company.

http://dukereport.com/duke-basketball/top-10-duke-basketball-games-this-season-fhodges/

U-Ute
09-21-2015, 03:04 PM
From @DearOldCrimson on Twitter:

Jordan Loveridge gets the regional cover treatment from Sporting News. It drops tomorrow. http://bit.ly/1uuaPIi (http://t.co/QuJGvEGQRi)

Old Standing ute
09-21-2015, 05:32 PM
If my math is correct practice starts in 3 weeks.?

UtahsMrSports
09-22-2015, 08:23 AM
If my math is correct practice starts in 3 weeks.?

I would think so, as "Night with the Runnin' Utes" is about a month away!

LA Ute
10-01-2015, 11:36 PM
Here's Bonam's high school highlight film.

https://youtu.be/bXPX5bLPBG0

His body control is impressive.

UtahsMrSports
10-02-2015, 08:43 AM
A very happy first day of practice to all of you! This is obviously not as anticipated each year as much as fall camp but is important all the same. Looking for great things this year!

U-Ute
10-02-2015, 08:56 AM
Here's Bonam's high school highlight film.

https://youtu.be/bXPX5bLPBG0

His body control is impressive.

DISCLAIMER: This video is from his high school years and is therefore pretty old in terms of basketball development.

For the first half of that video I was wondering if he was left handed. He shoots right, but is very good around the rim with his left. There aren't any dunks in this video so I'm left to wonder if he can dunk. If not, maybe that's why he's so crafty. He can get shots off at a variety of angles.

I like him, but he's not Delon Wright. My expectations are now set thusly.

Diehard Ute
10-02-2015, 09:12 AM
DISCLAIMER: This video is from his high school years and is therefore pretty old in terms of basketball development.

For the first half of that video I was wondering if he was left handed. He shoots right, but is very good around the rim with his left. There aren't any dunks in this video so I'm left to wonder if he can dunk. If not, maybe that's why he's so crafty. He can get shots off at a variety of angles.

I like him, but he's not Delon Wright. My expectations are now set thusly.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WARo6qJK8ZY

UtahsMrSports
10-04-2015, 08:04 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/3021308-155/utah-basketball-runnin-utes-newcomers-arent

So many intriguing story lines as camp progresses, not the least of which is going to be interesting to see how Larry handles the rotation.

justaute
10-04-2015, 10:43 PM
Although I like football, I'm really a fan of basketball. I'm hopeful LK can continue to grow the program.

UTEopia
10-05-2015, 11:40 AM
I am bullish on LK and hopeful that this year's team can come close to matching what was done a year ago. My reluctance to say that they will is that they struggled mightily when Delon was not on the court. I know that they will be working with a different crew, but I will remain cautiously optimistic until I see what they come up with.

Rocker Ute
10-05-2015, 11:45 AM
I am bullish on LK and hopeful that this year's team can come close to matching what was done a year ago. My reluctance to say that they will is that they struggled mightily when Delon was not on the court. I know that they will be working with a different crew, but I will remain cautiously optimistic until I see what they come up with.

I am worried about how we struggled without Delon too, but I will assume that our strategy will shift to having the ball going through Poeltl this year versus Delon and hopefully that will adjust things for us quite a bit and take care of that slack. I'm also hopeful that Chapman can break through this year and I know I'm probably alone in this, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Loveridge make a surprising jump.

Some others here I believe have been hopeful about our JC guys coming in, thinking they'll be big contributors (or at least one in particular). I'm in the 'special year' camp that will end in the, 'what would have happened if we had Delon for another year' line of thinking.

FountainOfUte
10-06-2015, 10:38 AM
I remember wondering how well the Runnin' Utes would do without Van Horn. They did a'ight.

Each year is different. Of course we'll miss a talent like Wright, but I see us stepping up as a whole team. We're going to be GOOD this year. Still crossing my fingers that we land an elite recruit or two in the next month, or so. Then, let's have another good NCAA run this year, show the world the Utes are for real, and start getting top recruits more easily than it has been so far.

justaute
10-09-2015, 08:36 PM
I think this is a pretty objective, fair assessment of Poeltl thus far.

http://upsidemotor.com/2015/09/30/jakob-poeltl-nba-draft-lottery-scouting-report/

U-Ute
10-11-2015, 09:37 AM
Well that was an incredible game to have your top 3 prospects at. The MUSS was insane.

Diehard Ute
10-13-2015, 08:04 AM
Commander McGinnis is back. Phil Cullen is tweeting lots of photos of this years mini hell week, this was the last one

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/13/4005ab0e63e073d0f9f4e35c22a47dd7.jpg

UBlender
10-13-2015, 08:41 AM
Commander McGinnis is back. Phil Cullen is tweeting lots of photos of this years mini hell week, this was the last one

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/13/4005ab0e63e073d0f9f4e35c22a47dd7.jpg

"Oh man, why did I have to line up next to Jakob???"

Diehard Ute
10-14-2015, 02:27 PM
Interesting news from women's hoops.

They've switched to 4 10 minute quarters, removed 1 and 1 free throws and are allowing the ball to be advanced after a timeout.

They want to "streamline" with the WNBA according to Goon when I asked if they were trying to be like the NBA

Curious if men's is next (there are rumblings the men's game may push the season back a month to start in December soon)

UtahsMrSports
10-14-2015, 02:37 PM
Interesting news from women's hoops.

They've switched to 4 10 minute quarters, removed 1 and 1 free throws and are allowing the ball to be advanced after a timeout.

They want to "streamline" with the WNBA according to Goon when I asked if they were trying to be like the NBA

Curious if men's is next (there are rumblings the men's game may push the season back a month to start in December soon)

I was just going to link to this........

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2015-10-14/ncaa-march-madness-college-basketball-schedule-football-dan-gavitt?eadid=SOC%2FTwi%2FSNMain

311ute
10-15-2015, 08:40 AM
With Media Day today, I thought I’d get some talk going on the 2015-16 season in the conference.

Here are some of my thoughts:

· The conference will be improved from last year. I see 6 possible Tournament teams (had 4 last year).
· There’s a clear top-4 (Arizona, Cal, Utah, Oregon), and I don’t see much separation between them. I could see any one of the four win the conference.
· The next tier is UCLA and Oregon St. IMO these two will be bubble teams.
· I don’t see much of a difference in the bottom 6 teams.

If I had to rank them, I’d go:
Utah
Arizona
Cal
Oregon
UCLA
Oregon St
ASU
USC
Stanford
Colorado
Washington
Wazzu

I predict the Utes will be picked 3rd or 4th by the media today. I bet we begin the season ranked in the 18-22 range in both major polls.

I’m obviously very bullish on this year’s team. I think we have all the makings of a great team… A dominant center surrounded by shooters. Great leadership, great defense, and versatile lineups. People forget how deep we were last year, by far the deepest in the conference. My one concern is replacing Delon’s ability to create off the dribble and find our open shooters. But my expectation/hope is that some combination of Bonam/Isaiah/Bealer can provide some of that. If they can, I really think we could have a special year and make a deep tourney run.

DrumNFeather
10-15-2015, 09:18 AM
Preseason Media poll is out:

1) Arizona
2) Cal
3) Utah (7 first place votes)
4) Oregon
5) UCLA
6) Oregon St.
7) Colorado
8) Arizona St.
9) Stanford
10) USC
11) Washington
12) Wazzu

311ute
10-15-2015, 10:16 AM
Coaches poll is out... Utes come in at #16. Arizona at 10, Cal at 14.

Diehard Ute
10-15-2015, 10:59 AM
Reading the Cal board has made me dislike Cal.

The constant "we're smarter than everyone" posts got old. The reaction to losing Jayce Johnson was very BYU like, several claiming he wasn't smart enough to make it at Cal anyway

Scratch
10-15-2015, 11:08 AM

The constant "we're smarter than everyone" posts got old. The reaction to losing Jayce Johnson was very BYU like, several claiming he wasn't smart enough to make it at Cal anyway

If Marshawn can get into Cal than anyone can.

Utebiquitous
10-15-2015, 11:08 AM
I don't understand the love of Cal. Even with the recruiting class I would never give them the same deference the media gives to Arizona, Duke, and Kentucky. At the college level coaching matters significantly and I don't think the Cal staff has earned the reputation yet as getting the most out of players and bringing a team together. Cal deserves consideration due to their talent level but I think at the end of the season Utah, Oregon and Oregon St. will all finish higher. I also will never sleep on Colorado. I think Tad Boyle can coach. He'll have a strong front line this season and less drama with Askia Booker gone.

No problem with Utah's ranking in the Pac-12 or nationally. My hope for the program is to be a perennial top three in the Pac-12. It's nice to see us there as the season is about to get underway. It's terrific to see the program getting this level of respect in the league and nationally.

SeattleUte
10-15-2015, 11:14 AM
My biggest non-Utah hope for the Pac-12 this year is that Cal flops. I'd love to see all those big fancy recruits fail to gel and end up in the NIT.

lol. How many NC's would Coach K have if he didn't out-fancy-recruit everyone year in and year out.

311ute
10-15-2015, 11:28 AM
I don't understand the love of Cal. Even with the recruiting class I would never give them the same deference the media gives to Arizona, Duke, and Kentucky. At the college level coaching matters significantly and I don't think the Cal staff has earned the reputation yet as getting the most out of players and bringing a team together. Cal deserves consideration due to their talent level but I think at the end of the season Utah, Oregon and Oregon St. will all finish higher. I also will never sleep on Colorado. I think Tad Boyle can coach. He'll have a strong front line this season and less drama with Askia Booker gone.

I'm torn on Cal.... I'm not so sure Cuonzo will be able to coach up his players and allow his team to mesh well enough to finish top 3 in the conference. On the other hand, there's almost no question they will have the most talented starting five* in the conference: Tyrone Wallace (has to be overwhelming favorite to win POY), Jabari Bird, Jordan Matthews, Jaylen Brown (#4 recruit in the country), Ivan Rabb (#8 recruit in the country).
*that's assuming they start small (4 guards) like most expect they will.

I'm not high on Colorado this year. While I agree Booker caused a lot of drama, we saw how much they struggled last year offensively without him. Xavier Johnson tore his archilles and is most likely done for the year. So they have Josh Scott (who's good) and Wesley Gordon (who's ok) in the front court. Jaron Hopkins and Dustin Thomas transferred, neither were great, but both played quite a bit for them last year. And they don't bring in anyone of note in their recruiting class.

I do think Tad Boyle does a good job of getting the most out of the talent he has, but on paper this looks like by far the least talented Colorado team since we've joined the conference.

311ute
10-15-2015, 11:35 AM
The more I think about Oregon the more I think they'll be really good this year. They lose Joe Young, but get everyone else back. Yes, he's what made them go last year, but his supporting cast was pretty dang good. Dillon Brooks tore it up this summer for the Canadian national team. Elgin Cook is good, as are Jordan Bell and Dwayne (Snoop) Benjamin. Plus, they get the JUCO national player of the year (Chris Boucher), a 5 star guard who was the Gatorade player of the year in Cali (Tyler Dorsey), and a PG transfer from Villanova (Dylan Ennis) who started the entire year for them.

Like I said earlier, the top 4 in this conference are all really solid teams. The Pac-12 will be much better than last year.

#1 Utefan
10-15-2015, 02:23 PM

I read the same stuff. Cal is definitely good academically but it also has its worts in othe ways that might deter some like me from wanting to go there. I found it somewhat amusing that they think just because a kid is a good student and is being recruited by them (or a school like Stanford), they are automatically going to go there. It's not like they can't excel at Utah or any number different of schools and be successful (case in point: the guys from '98 Final Four team).

They have to hang their hats on their academics because frankly, from a quality of venue/facilities standpoint, they can't hold a candle to Utah. Utah also has a much better basketball tradition not too mention a superior coaching staff.

Utebiquitous
10-15-2015, 03:15 PM
I had no idea Xavier Johnson was out for the season - changes my projection. Too bad for Colorado. I agree with your thinking on Oregon. They'll definitely have a strong season.

I agree that Cal has the most talent. I just like our coaching, experience and talent over theirs - emphasis on coaching and experience.

FountainOfUte
10-15-2015, 04:02 PM

No problem with Utah's ranking in the Pac-12 or nationally. My hope for the program is to be a perennial top three in the Pac-12. It's nice to see us there as the season is about to get underway. It's terrific to see the program getting this level of respect in the league and nationally.

My sentiments about Cal are the same. I know they killed it in recruiting, but there are so many other elements that need to come together to end up 2nd best in the PAC-12. But it will be interesting to see what happens with them. (I STILL don't get how their recruiting class came together like that. It came out of nowhere, it seems).

#1 Utefan
10-15-2015, 04:16 PM
My sentiments about Cal are the same. I know they killed it in recruiting, but there are so many other elements that need to come together to end up 2nd best in the PAC-12. But it will be interesting to see what happens with them. (I STILL don't get how their recruiting class came together like that. It came out of nowhere, it seems).

$$$

LA Ute
10-15-2015, 04:48 PM
I read the same stuff. Cal is definitely good academically but it also has its worts in othe ways that might deter some like me from wanting to go there. I found it somewhat amusing that they think just because a kid is a good student and is being recruited by them (or a school like Stanford), they are automatically going to go there. It's not like they can't excel at Utah or any number different of schools and be successful (case in point: the guys from '98 Final Four team).

They have to hang their hats on their academics because frankly, from a quality of venue/facilities standpoint, they can't hold a candle to Utah. Utah also has a much better basketball tradition not too mention a superior coaching staff.

I work with a lot of Cal grads and in my experience they are about as smart and effective as anyone else. In terms of day-to-day success in the real world it's interesting how little the location of one's undergrad education actually matters.

chrisrenrut
10-16-2015, 01:46 PM

New uniforms revealed. They seem ok, except the gray ones. They don't blow me away, but aren't hideous.

Diehard Ute
10-16-2015, 01:53 PM

New uniforms revealed. They seem ok, except the gray ones. They don't blow me away, but aren't hideous.

The gray ones are last year. They only changed the red, white and black

LA Ute
10-16-2015, 03:12 PM

They're our Washington State disguises.

Diehard Ute
10-16-2015, 04:04 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/16/4df2566d95c12d2bf5a892647e43a2b7.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/16/7c05edc4fdfc17164793d56c244c11a2.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/16/8cfd2c99961b47ecb80d0a837d7a490c.jpg

The up close shots courtesy of Utah Basketball on Twitter.

Diehard Ute
10-16-2015, 04:05 PM
A video of Poeltl taking flight

https://twitter.com/utahathletics/status/655117402875686912

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-16-2015, 05:39 PM
A video of Poeltl taking flight

https://twitter.com/utahathletics/status/655117402875686912

Great Rev. Horton Heat promo.

LA Ute
10-21-2015, 07:37 PM
Watching the NWTRU live feed. Bonam looks like he might be a special player.

chrisrenrut
10-21-2015, 08:48 PM
Watching the NWTRU live feed. Bonam looks like he might be a special player.

I just got back from attending. I liked what I saw in Bealer as well. Not quite as aggressive as Bonam, but smooth and in control.

I dont think it was coincidence that both teams that Poeltl was on dominated the score. It's going to be a big drop off when he's not on the floor.

Old Standing ute
10-21-2015, 09:36 PM
I just got back from attending. I liked what I saw in Bealer as well. Not quite as aggressive as Bonam, but smooth and in control.

I dont think it was coincidence that both teams that Poeltl was on dominated the score. It's going to be a big drop off when he's not on the floor.

Bonam looked really good, plays really fast I. Wright once he got it going looked good.
Loveridge shot it well, as did Tucker at times.

Kuzma made some plays--some were good, some (especially at the beginning) were bad. Right now he starts over Brekkot. Much better rebounder.

Makol after he settled down showed potential. He defends the basket & rebounds. Not smooth but has some moves. He runs really well--he will be a player before he leaves.

This will be a Good team.

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-22-2015, 12:34 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hH6XKsPk8nQ

LA Ute
10-22-2015, 08:36 AM
Interesting CBS Sports breakdown of the PAC-12 for 2015-16. Has Cal first, then AZ, then Utah.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaab/eye-on-college-basketball/25345911/-16-pac-12-predictions-cal-to-break-arizonas-streak

Irving Washington
10-22-2015, 08:50 AM
My thoughts on the scrimmage last night. First, you have to be careful about taking much from these scrimmages. You're playing against guys you see every day, and know what they're going to do. You know the offense and defense the other team is running, and what they're trying to do. Real game intensity is not there.

That said, I was focusing mostly on the new guys. Bonam looked good, but not Delon good. Lots of nice drives to the basket. He's definitely not afraid to take it to the hoop. He didn't take many outside shots, but guys were playing him close when he got the ball around the three point line, so he can probably shoot it from there. Quick and athletic. He's obviously lost some weight (reports were that he was kind of chunky last year.) I didn't get a very good sense of him on defense.

Bealer looked smooth and athletic. Missed a lot of shot. though. Could be quietly good -- who knows from watching him one time.

Makol -- in the first half I was having a hard time seeing any basketball skills, other than one nice uncontested soft jumper from around 12 feet. Got up and down the court fine for a 6'9" guy, moved reasonably well, didn't look completely lost on defense, but that was about it. The definition of raw. Didn't look like he'd be of much help this year. Midway through the second half, though, he showed a couple of nice, quick spin moves around the basket. Hmmm, maybe this kid does know something about basketball. His hops are just ok, nothing great, not flat-footed. He's a project, but maybe can give us some useful minutes, and not horrible defense. Needs a lot of weight and strength.

Montgomery -- he sure isn't built like Jeremy Olsen. Skinny, and not much hops. Could barely dunk the ball. Needs to spend a lot of time in the weight room.

Miller was in street clothes. Looked a touch gimpy as he was walking around, like he had tweaked something.

Poeltl looked good, like you'd expect. Couldn't see all of the extra weight he's put on, but it must be there. Muscle weighs a lot more. Missed his first three free throws, but then hit his next four or five, I think. At some point I'd love to see him shoot a straight up jump shot. I'm too old school, I guess.

Isiah Wright is strong, and uses his strength a lot. He was a little inconsistent. Doesn't mean much.

Loveridge's chest and shoulders are huge. You'd think he was preparing to play a lot of power forward, which I doubt.

At times Chapman looked real good, at times terrible. Had some nice drives and a couple of soft three pointers. At other times he was throwing the ball away and looking lost.

Kuzma looked like Kuzma. Missed a lot of shots, drove and lost the ball. I'm skeptical about him.

Taylor was Taylor. He's obviously one of the keys to this season.

Tucker was kind of quiet. I just think he could do more than he does. He needs to step it up this year.

Reyes was also in street clothes.

U-Ute
10-22-2015, 08:52 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hH6XKsPk8nQ

Ok. That was pretty damn cool.

UtahsMrSports
10-22-2015, 08:52 AM
That is always a fun event. Just a few brief takeaways.........

-If I had to base the starting 5 on last night, it would unquestionably be Taylor and Bonam in the backcourt, Poeltl in the middle, with Loveridge and Kuzma at the forwards. Coincidentally (or not.......) this was the starting 5 for the white team to start the game and they dominated. Taylor, Loveridge, and Poeltl were obvious going into the season. Bonam got to the basket at will and finished a good number of them. Kuzma was the surprise to me. He was very very active at both ends. He is noticeably stronger and fights harder for rebounds. First guy off the bench should be Chapman, he can play side by side with Kuzma at either 3 and 4 or 4 and 5 depending on matchups, or spell him.

-In addition to Bonam, I thought the newcomers looked good. Gabe Bealer is a smooth athlete. Makol Mawien was not intimidated by Jakob at all. Jakob schooled him a number of times, but Makol still got in there and battled. He is raw, but I love his upside.

-Of the other returners, Dakari is a known commodity and a nice player to have coming off the bench. Isaiah wright looked much more comfortable out there and will very likely be in the starting 5 next year. Ogbe, Reyes, and Miller were all held out to due to injury.

-Of the walkons, I dont remember if Austin Eastman even played. Jake Connor didn't do much, and Austin Montgomery showed that he can be a foul trouble emergency hacker.

-Coolest moment of the night: Brekkott made a really nice move and got an "and 1". Loveridge came running over and gave an encouraging and enthusiastic pat on the back. It seemed to really pump Brekkott up. If you didn't hear, they held a moment of silence at the beginning for Brekkott's grandpa who died recently. His grandpa has essentially been a father to him his whole life and Brekkott seemed down a bit. Kudos to loveridge for showing some really nice leadership there. (my description here doesn't do it justice at all).

#1 Utefan
10-22-2015, 09:16 AM
That is always a fun event. Just a few brief takeaways.........

-If I had to base the starting 5 on last night, it would unquestionably be Taylor and Bonam in the backcourt, Poeltl in the middle, with Loveridge and Kuzma at the forwards. Coincidentally (or not.......) this was the starting 5 for the white team to start the game and they dominated. Taylor, Loveridge, and Poeltl were obvious going into the season. Bonam got to the basket at will and finished a good number of them. Kuzma was the surprise to me. He was very very active at both ends. He is noticeably stronger and fights harder for rebounds. First guy off the bench should be Chapman, he can play side by side with Kuzma at either 3 and 4 or 4 and 5 depending on matchups, or spell him.

-In addition to Bonam, I thought the newcomers looked good. Gabe Bealer is a smooth athlete. Makol Mawien was not intimidated by Jakob at all. Jakob schooled him a number of times, but Makol still got in there and battled. He is raw, but I love his upside.

-Of the other returners, Dakari is a known commodity and a nice player to have coming off the bench. Isaiah wright looked much more comfortable out there and will very likely be in the starting 5 next year. Ogbe, Reyes, and Miller were all held out to due to injury.

-Of the walkons, I dont remember if Austin Eastman even played. Jake Connor didn't do much, and Austin Montgomery showed that he can be a foul trouble emergency hacker.

-Coolest moment of the night: Brekkott made a really nice move and got an "and 1". Loveridge came running over and gave an encouraging and enthusiastic pat on the back. It seemed to really pump Brekkott up. If you didn't hear, they held a moment of silence at the beginning for Brekkott's grandpa who died recently. His grandpa has essentially been a father to him his whole life and Brekkott seemed down a bit. Kudos to loveridge for showing some really nice leadership there. (my description here doesn't do it justice at all).

I will be very surprised if Kuzma starts over Chapman at the 4.

UtahsMrSports
10-22-2015, 09:19 AM

I dont think either is a bad option. And I wouldn't be surprised if Chapman starts, I just think Kuzma's defense and rebounding will give him the edge.

Applejack
10-22-2015, 09:40 AM

Agreed. Having seen nothing of the team since the duke game, kuzma must have improved DRAMATICALLY to beat out Chapman.

Diehard Ute
10-22-2015, 10:33 AM
Miller had a sprained foot. Reyes had a back issue and Ogbe's groin is again a problem.

Poeltl has some hand issue, perhaps why he didn't shoot a lot.

UtahsMrSports
10-22-2015, 10:49 AM
Miller had a sprained foot. Reyes had a back issue and Ogbe's groin is again a problem.

Poeltl has some hand issue, perhaps why he didn't shoot a lot.

Im hoping Reyes can get back soon; we will need all of the 'bigs' we can get.

Utebiquitous
10-22-2015, 11:14 AM
I'm with Mr. Sports. If Kuzma is rebounding and defending better he'll get the start. Assuming Poeltl, Taylor and Loveridge all start, we have enough offense. Additionally, with the reports about Bonham being a scorer and needing work on defense, there needs to be someone who will fill that role. I'm a little surprised to be saying Kuzma fills that role based on his performance last season; but it appears he's figuring out what he needs to do to get on the court. A healthy Reyes could start over Kuzma and Chapman as well.

Chances are we'll see a number of lineups early in the season. I love the idea of Chapman and Kuzma playing together. I'd love to see a lineup of Poeltl, Chapman and Kuzma playing together but it doesn't appear like either of the latter two can defend a small forward. I said it last year and I'll keep saying it - Chapman looks more like a three than a four to me. I wish he'd develop the ball-handling skills to make that move. I just don't know that he's going to get the body in time to be a traditional four - a stretch four yes. Playing that role in Utah's offense could match up real well with Poeltl when he's on the floor. That may be the biggest argument for Chapman starting over Kuzma.

Just spit-balling a little bit. Can't wait for the season to get underway.

LA Ute
10-22-2015, 11:18 AM
I'm with Mr. Sports. If Kuzma is rebounding and defending better he'll get the start. Assuming Poeltl, Taylor and Loveridge all start, we have enough offense. Additionally, with the reports about Bonham being a scorer and needing work on defense, there needs to be someone who will fill that role. I'm a little surprised to be saying Kuzma fills that role based on his performance last season; but it appears he's figuring out what he needs to do to get on the court. A healthy Reyes could start over Kuzma and Chapman as well.

Chances are we'll see a number of lineups early in the season. I love the idea of Chapman and Kuzma playing together. I'd love to see a lineup of Poeltl, Chapman and Kuzma playing together but it doesn't appear like either of the latter two can defend a small forward. I said it last year and I'll keep saying it - Chapman looks more like a three than a four to me. I wish he'd develop the ball-handling skills to make that move. I just don't know that he's going to get the body in time to be a traditional four - a stretch four yes. Playing that role in Utah's offense could match up real well with Poeltl when he's on the floor. That may be the biggest argument for Chapman starting over Kuzma.

Good thoughts, 'biq.

Old Standing ute
10-22-2015, 12:23 PM
Bonam's defense was not bad & he did rebound--it just is not Delon's D, but I don't think we ever see that again.

If Kuzma will not try to do too much & not shoot 3's, which he was 0 for too many last night, he will be OK. He rebounds & runs the court well.
Chapman just does not rebound. Plus he gets so many stupid fouls, he may not be able to stay on the court. He would have played 2-3 minutes in 1st half if it was a real game last night, as he had 2 quick fouls, so it may not matter who starts.

Chapman does have the better O game, although hard time holding his position on the block. Nice touch from 3.

Bealer is all right hand---but did find ways to score.

UtahsMrSports
10-22-2015, 12:37 PM

Agreed, completely. I think that both Brekkott and Kuzma will be given opportunities to start there at the 4. I think Reyes will be Jakob's primary backup.

LA Ute
10-22-2015, 12:42 PM
Bealer is all right hand---but did find ways to score.

Speaking of hands, I was watching Bonam's film and at first worried that he can only go left, but it looks like he's now pretty good with both hands.

UBlender
10-22-2015, 12:52 PM

Aren't 80-90% of college 4s "stretch 4s"? I see people bring this up a lot. My only concern is whether he can rebound, but I'm not worried much about him other than that as I don't think you see a lot of 4s anymore in college ball who are really strong in the post in the old school Karl Malone sense. Now if we're talking about Chapman's chances to make the next level then yes, he absolutely has to be a 3.

Having said all that, rebounding may be the biggest question with this team and that goes across the board. Jakob will need to be better on the boards and so will everyone down to the guards.

311ute
10-28-2015, 08:16 AM
Not sure this has been posted, but the Utes will play their "secret scrimmage" game Saturday vs Texas A&M in Colorado Springs. The Aggies are supposed to be good this year, they were picked to finish 3rd in the SEC. The past two years we've played Wyoming, we beat them by 30 last year.

Hope we can get some (limited) info from this game on Sat.

UtahsMrSports
10-28-2015, 08:29 AM
Not sure this has been posted, but the Utes will play their "secret scrimmage" game Saturday vs Texas A&M in Colorado Springs. The Aggies are supposed to be good this year, they were picked to finish 3rd in the SEC. The past two years we've played Wyoming, we beat them by 30 last year.

Hope we can get some (limited) info from this game on Sat.

I was just reading Goon's latest article and he mentioned that the opponent and location would not be disclosed. I chuckled knowing it would be leaked, as it always is. Interesting that we are going to a nuetral site for the game. I had heard, and I can't remember where (might even be on this board) that two other teams are coming to the huntsman this weekend for their secret game. I think I prefer playing one of our exhibition games against a real, legitimate team, even if it is in secret. Nothing to be gained by using both games to beat up on some division 3 schools looking for a paycheck.

chrisrenrut
10-29-2015, 11:37 AM
PACHoops.com Utah preview, with an unflattering picture of Herr Poeltl:

http://pachoops.com/2015/10/2015-16-utah-basketball-preview-not-replacing-delon/

FountainOfUte
10-29-2015, 12:03 PM

http://pachoops.com/2015/10/2015-16-utah-basketball-preview-not-replacing-delon/

Good read. I'm not saying by any stretch that Dallin was better than Delon, but I think we'll miss Dallin more than Delon. We have players that can absorb *some* of what Delon did. We don't really have anyone who can do what Dallin did when Jakob has to go to the bench. So tragic that we don't have Olsen this season. I'd trade a healthy Olsen for Bealer in a heart beat.

U-Ute
10-29-2015, 02:15 PM

Larry K’s daily yoga in his $36 million practice facility gets him so zen that he overdoes it with the pregame rope burn, destroying the Huntsman Center and practice facility. The Utes, after opening the season 13-0, are forced to practice and play on outdoor courts in the greater Salt Lake area. The Utah winter is unkind to outdoor basketball (but excellent for skiing) and the Utes’ season comes completely unraveled.

UtahsMrSports
11-02-2015, 09:15 AM
Jeff Goodman said that he heard that the Utah-Texas A&M game was fairly even and that is all I can find on that.

Season starts this week (sort of)!

UtahsMrSports
11-03-2015, 08:39 AM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/13991627/cbbrank-counting-top-100-players-college-basketball-2015-2016

Jakob checking in at #10 on this list. A lot of our opponents on this list as well.

311ute
11-03-2015, 09:54 AM
This came out a few weeks ago, but cbs ranked all 351 D1 teams. Here's where all our opponents rank:
(I put Miami and Butler on there, as we could play them in Puerto Rico if we beat TT in the first round)

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25331040/cbs-sports-2015-16-ranking-of-every-college-basketball-team-from-1-351

SUU: 293
SDSU: 36
TTU: 147
Miami: 21
Butler: 29
IDST: 344
BYU: 37
IPFW: 195
Wichita: 9
Savanah St: 348
Duke: 7
Del St: 322
Stanford: 69
Cal: 14
CU: 67
Oregon: 23
OSU: 54
Wazzu: 156
Wash: 167
UCLA: 51
USC: 89
ASU: 88
Ariz: 15

Our schedule is extremely difficult this year. Our SOS and RPI shouldn't be hurting us come selection Sunday.

SoCalPat
11-03-2015, 09:58 AM
More than a single voice appears to be high on Kuzma. Saying he'll start over Chapman is, at first blush, a gauntlet-dropping statement. There were words at this time last year that Chapman wasn't ready to play, and we saw how that turned out. He has to stop fouling and stay on the floor more than the 15 MPG he had last year. That said, he was either in the doghouse or his limitations caught up with him at the end of last year, because he played a total of 8 minutes in our two NCAA wins (he did have 17 minutes against Duke).

I'll believe Kuzma starting over Chapman when he starts contributing against legit D-1 competition. So far, he's done almost nothing in that regard.

UtahsMrSports
11-03-2015, 10:46 AM
More than a single voice appears to be high on Kuzma. Saying he'll start over Chapman is, at first blush, a gauntlet-dropping statement. There were words at this time last year that Chapman wasn't ready to play, and we saw how that turned out. He has to stop fouling and stay on the floor more than the 15 MPG he had last year. That said, he was either in the doghouse or his limitations caught up with him at the end of last year, because he played a total of 8 minutes in our two NCAA wins (he did have 17 minutes against Duke).

I'll believe Kuzma starting over Chapman when he starts contributing against legit D-1 competition. So far, he's done almost nothing in that regard.

I can't speak for everyone, but I put that out there based on night with the runnin utes, and I said as much. That scrimmage is what it is. There was no question who was better and who was going harder that night. I won't lose any sleep either way, as I feel fortunate to have both players and I think both will be matchup nightmares before the end of their careers.

311ute
11-03-2015, 02:49 PM
**Updated to include SI's ranking which just came out: (Utes are at #18 in CBS, #16 in SI):

SUU: 293, 275
SDSU: 36, 24
TTU: 147, 106
Miami: 21, 25
Butler: 29, 36
IDST: 344, 316
BYU: 37, 59
IPFW: 195, 236
Wichita: 9, 7
Savanah St: 348, 339
Duke: 7, 4
Del St: 322, 335
Stanford: 69, 65
Cal: 14, 13
CU: 67, 76
Oregon: 23, 35
OSU: 54, 56
Wazzu: 156, 127
Wash: 167, 112
UCLA: 51, 41
USC: 89, 83
ASU: 88, 75
Ariz: 15, 11

This came out a few weeks ago, but cbs ranked all 351 D1 teams. Here's where all our opponents rank:
(I put Miami and Butler on there, as we could play them in Puerto Rico if we beat TT in the first round)

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25331040/cbs-sports-2015-16-ranking-of-every-college-basketball-team-from-1-351

SUU: 293
SDSU: 36
TTU: 147
Miami: 21
Butler: 29
IDST: 344
BYU: 37
IPFW: 195
Wichita: 9
Savanah St: 348
Duke: 7
Del St: 322
Stanford: 69
Cal: 14
CU: 67
Oregon: 23
OSU: 54
Wazzu: 156
Wash: 167
UCLA: 51
USC: 89
ASU: 88
Ariz: 15

Our schedule is extremely difficult this year. Our SOS and RPI shouldn't be hurting us come selection Sunday.

LA Ute
11-03-2015, 04:25 PM
Here's SI's set of rankings:

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/11/03/every-team-college-basketball-ranked-north-carolina-kentucky-kansas

As noted, we are at #16. Arizona is at 11, Cal at 13. Others in the PAC-12:

Oregon 35
UCLA 41
Oregon State 56
Stanford 65
ASU 75
Colorado 76
USC 83
Washington 112
Wazzu 127

How SI introduces these rankings:

"Sports Illustrated’s College Basketball Projection System is, in a way, the anti-NCAA tournament. Our statistical model simulates a given season 10,000 times in order to find the most frequent No. 1—this year, that would be North Carolina—and determine where the other 350 Division I teams fall in line. This marks the second year that SI’s preseason rankings have been decided by the projection system, a collaboration among economist Dan Hanner, SI producer and writer Chris Johnson and myself. The results from year one were promising: The system forecast—in exact order—the eventual top four teams in adjusted efficiency (Kentucky (http://www.si.com/college-basketball/team/kentucky-wildcats), Arizona (http://www.si.com/college-basketball/team/arizona-wildcats), Wisconsin (http://www.si.com/college-basketball/team/wisconsin-badgers), Duke (http://www.si.com/college-basketball/team/duke-blue-devils)). It also predicted that title-game opponents Wisconsin and Duke would have the most efficient offenses, ranked all eight of the NCAA tournament No. 1 and No. 2 seeds among its Top 10, and produced the most accurate conference standings of any projection model (http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog/entry/2016_preseason_ratings), according to kenpom.com (http://kenpom.com/)."

justaute
11-03-2015, 05:29 PM
I can't speak for everyone, but I put that out there based on night with the runnin utes, and I said as much. That scrimmage is what it is. There was no question who was better and who was going harder that night. I won't lose any sleep either way, as I feel fortunate to have both players and I think both will be matchup nightmares before the end of their careers.

Well, to me, neither player was particularly fluid on defense last season; based on watching the games all season, their understanding of the game was sorely lacking. I couldn't careless how many stars they garnered while playing at the high school level. Better start kicking into another gear in all facets of the game.

Mormon Red Death
11-06-2015, 08:34 AM
ESPN's (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/13976378/no-18-utah-utes) preview

UTEopia
11-06-2015, 02:00 PM
I watched the game with the fighting otters last night and here are my takeaways. I don't see Taylor, Loveridge, Dakari, Reyes or Poetl being significantly different then they were a year ago. Not a bad thing because they were pretty good a year ago. I think Wright and Kuzma will contribute a lot. Chapman plays tentatively and I think it causes him to be less of a factor then he could be. Bonum and Belaer will both contribute. Mawein needs to redshirt. I don't think he can help us win any games.

Scratch
11-06-2015, 03:42 PM
I watched the game with the fighting otters last night and here are my takeaways. I don't see Taylor, Loveridge, Dakari, Reyes or Poetl being significantly different then they were a year ago. Not a bad thing because they were pretty good a year ago. I think Wright and Kuzma will contribute a lot. Chapman plays tentatively and I think it causes him to be less of a factor then he could be. Bonum and Belaer will both contribute. Mawein needs to redshirt. I don't think he can help us win any games.

I'd like to redshirt him as well, but do we have that luxury with this team?

FountainOfUte
11-06-2015, 03:44 PM
Mawein needs to redshirt. I don't think he can help us win any games.

I would agree if we had ANY depth at the 5. But with Reyes as our next available "5," and considering his lack of health and limited game, I think we need another body to throw at our opposition, raw as Makol is. In other words, I don't think we can afford to RS him. UNLESS, we think guys like Kuzma and Chapman (or even Montgomery - himself a freshman) can give us something in spots at the 5. Scary.

Sure wish we had Olsen.

UBlender
11-06-2015, 09:43 PM
I'd like to redshirt him as well, but do we have that luxury with this team?

Nope, don't have that luxury. They'll do everything they can to develop him to the point where he can give a solid 4 minutes a half of defense and rebounding. Larry's done great work with big guys in the past so I wouldn't rule it out.

DrumNFeather
11-09-2015, 06:00 PM
Ogbe to miss the start of the season.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

UtahsMrSports
11-10-2015, 09:03 AM
Ogbe to miss the start of the season.

Thats a bummer. Although if we are going to have someone out with injury, at least its on the wings.

DrumNFeather
11-10-2015, 09:09 AM
Thats a bummer. Although if we are going to have someone out with injury, at least its on the wings.

At some point you have to wonder if his career is ever going to get back on track. We've wondered where scholarships are going to come from. I wonder if he'll be one of them.

SeattleUte
11-10-2015, 10:59 AM
Here's SI's set of rankings:

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/11/03/every-team-college-basketball-ranked-north-carolina-kentucky-kansas

As noted, we are at #16. Arizona is at 11, Cal at 13. Others in the PAC-12:

Oregon 35
UCLA 41
Oregon State 56
Stanford 65
ASU 75
Colorado 76
USC 83
Washington 112
Wazzu 127

How SI introduces these rankings:

"Sports Illustrated’s College Basketball Projection System is, in a way, the anti-NCAA tournament. Our statistical model simulates a given season 10,000 times in order to find the most frequent No. 1—this year, that would be North Carolina—and determine where the other 350 Division I teams fall in line. This marks the second year that SI’s preseason rankings have been decided by the projection system, a collaboration among economist Dan Hanner, SI producer and writer Chris Johnson and myself. The results from year one were promising: The system forecast—in exact order—the eventual top four teams in adjusted efficiency (Kentucky (http://www.si.com/college-basketball/team/kentucky-wildcats), Arizona (http://www.si.com/college-basketball/team/arizona-wildcats), Wisconsin (http://www.si.com/college-basketball/team/wisconsin-badgers), Duke (http://www.si.com/college-basketball/team/duke-blue-devils)). It also predicted that title-game opponents Wisconsin and Duke would have the most efficient offenses, ranked all eight of the NCAA tournament No. 1 and No. 2 seeds among its Top 10, and produced the most accurate conference standings of any projection model (http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog/entry/2016_preseason_ratings), according to kenpom.com (http://kenpom.com/)."

Washington is way too low. It has a Kentucky-like recruiting class. I don't know how Romar does it.

LA Ute
11-10-2015, 11:02 AM
Washington is way too low. It has a Kentucky-like recruiting class. I don't know how Romar does it.

I've heard he takes recruits to this Seattle restaurant (http://eatatlowells.com/) and it seals the deal every time.

SeattleUte
11-10-2015, 01:21 PM
I've heard he takes recruits to this Seattle restaurant (http://eatatlowells.com/) and it seals the deal every time.

I didn't know you could make such an attractive Old Fashioned. What's your choice of rye?

LA Ute
11-10-2015, 01:24 PM
I didn't know you could make such an attractive Old Fashioned. What's your choice of rye?

It's about the magic of certain names.

Diehard Ute
11-27-2015, 06:34 PM
Apparently the U has decided to start searching bags at the JMHC without warning.

I do chuckle at the assertion it's for public safety. If they're worried about weapons they're searching the wrong things. And if they're worried about alcohol etc they miss 90% of it at football games

justaute
11-27-2015, 07:30 PM
Is Tucker still a D1 player? Thus far in the season, he's been pretty much useless.

U-Ute
11-27-2015, 08:00 PM
Is Tucker still a D1 player? Thus far in the season, he's been pretty much useless.

Biggest disappointment so far this season.

But I seem to remember him struggling at the beginning of last season as well.

U-Ute
11-27-2015, 08:47 PM
Bonham prefers to go left. I wonder when teams will take that away from him.

justaute
11-27-2015, 08:54 PM
I'm also disappointed with Wright's playing thus far. doesn't pass very well and often plays out-of-control.

Biggest disappointment so far this season.

But I seem to remember him struggling at the beginning of last season as well.

U-Ute
11-27-2015, 09:00 PM
Wow. Jake's shot looks just like Tommy's if my memory serves me.

LA Ute
12-08-2015, 06:27 PM
PAC-12 Hoops likes the way we are playing.

Week 4 PacHoops Pac-12 Power Rankings: Bounce back (http://pachoops.com/2015/12/week-4-pachoops-pac-12-power-rankings-bounce-back/)

Old Standing ute
12-08-2015, 07:26 PM
Cal at 7th, in the conference, not the country---

so much for all the 1 & dones.

LA Ute
12-08-2015, 10:35 PM
In Larry I trust, but I kind of hope this doesn't happen -- playing Jayce Johnson this season.

Utah basketball: Utes considering playing freshman right away

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/3282426-155/utah-basketball-utes-considering-playing-freshman

SeattleUte
12-08-2015, 11:13 PM
In Larry I trust, but I kind of hope this doesn't happen -- playing Jayce Johnson this season.
(http://www.sltrib.com/sports/3282426-155/utah-basketball-utes-considering-playing-freshman)
Utah basketball: Utes considering playing freshman right away (http://www.sltrib.com/sports/3282426-155/utah-basketball-utes-considering-playing-freshman)

That's so weird.

LA Ute
12-09-2015, 12:20 AM
That's so weird.

No.

Utah basketball: Utes considering playing freshman right away

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/3282426-155/utah-basketball-utes-considering-playing-freshman

UTEopia
12-09-2015, 08:29 AM
That's so weird.

I don't think Larry will put the season over the wishes of the kid and his family. It would not be a good thing to do. It is obvious that Mawein is not going to play this year and is not in a position to help the team. If Johnson has the ability to play 10 minutes a game and wants to do it, it might not be a bad thing. He is going to have big shoes to fill next year and it might help him to get his feet wet this year.

UTEopia
12-09-2015, 08:32 AM
I know this is probably an unfair question since he has only played a handful of minutes, but what do people think the future of Brandon Miller is at Utah? Personally, I don't see either he or Van Dyke being rotation players for the Utes. If basketball is a priority I think both would do better to seek other opportunities.

FountainOfUte
12-09-2015, 10:50 AM
I know this is probably an unfair question since he has only played a handful of minutes, but what do people think the future of Brandon Miller is at Utah? Personally, I don't see either he or Van Dyke being rotation players for the Utes. If basketball is a priority I think both would do better to seek other opportunities.

I don't know either kid personally, but it seems like it could backfire on LK to lose BOTH kids. I think he could lose one and no one will blink an eye because kids come and go from programs at all levels. But if both players were to be shuffled away, it starts to become a negative recruiting tool that plays right into the hands of the other local collegiate basketball programs (particularly BYU's, since these are two LDS RM guys.)

So, that's not a great look, but to add a cherry on top, remember that the whole narrative around Van Dyke was that he was the Ute fan who grew up at the feet of the University, being an East High kid from a family with season tickets to the U going back a couple generations. The story from the local media and the program was that Parker was a Utah Man and chose the U in a year when the Y was still pulling big fish out of Lone Peak.

So, it'll be interesting to see what Krystkowiak does. I'll bet he hangs on to PVD. Wouldn't be shocked to see Miller move on. I seem to remember that he had one brother play at an Ivy League school (Princeton? Harvard?) and another brother on a mission who'll come back to play at USU, right?

UtahsMrSports
12-10-2015, 09:09 AM
I don't know either kid personally, but it seems like it could backfire on LK to lose BOTH kids. I think he could lose one and no one will blink an eye because kids come and go from programs at all levels. But if both players were to be shuffled away, it starts to become a negative recruiting tool that plays right into the hands of the other local collegiate basketball programs (particularly BYU's, since these are two LDS RM guys.)

So, that's not a great look, but to add a cherry on top, remember that the whole narrative around Van Dyke was that he was the Ute fan who grew up at the feet of the University, being an East High kid from a family with season tickets to the U going back a couple generations. The story from the local media and the program was that Parker was a Utah Man and chose the U in a year when the Y was still pulling big fish out of Lone Peak.

So, it'll be interesting to see what Krystkowiak does. I'll bet he hangs on to PVD. Wouldn't be shocked to see Miller move on. I seem to remember that he had one brother play at an Ivy League school (Princeton? Harvard?) and another brother on a mission who'll come back to play at USU, right?

I agree with this. I think it is fairly telling that in a couple of games this year, walk on Jake Connor has been insterted before Miller.

I would argue that PVD can be a nice floor stretching piece off the bench. He doesn't even have to be a primary backup, just a guy you can throw out there for a few minutes to give others on the floor some space.

UtahsMrSports
12-10-2015, 09:11 AM
I don't think Larry will put the season over the wishes of the kid and his family. It would not be a good thing to do. It is obvious that Mawein is not going to play this year and is not in a position to help the team. If Johnson has the ability to play 10 minutes a game and wants to do it, it might not be a bad thing. He is going to have big shoes to fill next year and it might help him to get his feet wet this year.

I agree with this completely. If the kid and his parents are good with this, then I think it would be great for all the reasons you mentioned.

Johnson is a player. He is better than where he was ranked on the recruiting service lists.

SoCalPat
12-10-2015, 10:00 AM
I agree with this. I think it is fairly telling that in a couple of games this year, walk on Jake Connor has been insterted before Miller.

I would argue that PVD can be a nice floor stretching piece off the bench. He doesn't even have to be a primary backup, just a guy you can throw out there for a few minutes to give others on the floor some space.

Kids want to play. I don't begrudge anyone who leaves the program for that reason. Miller should go to SLCC and essentially open up his recruiting again. He needs to prove himself over again, as it will have been four years since he's played organized ball.

With regard to FOU's concern, I think everyone can see the program is in a much different place today than when PVD and Miller signed. I think PVD will be much more successful under the new rules and with our newfound uptick in tempo. With two experienced guards graduating, plus Loveridge, and with all being high volume 3 point shooters, there's a gap PVD can immediately fill next year.

UTEopia
12-13-2015, 01:55 PM
I was really surprised by the Wichita St. game. The Utes have been exposed as a team that cannot defend the perimeter and cannot handle the ball well. We saw both of these problems every time Delon sat the past two years, so they are not new problems. The question for me is whether the players are able to correct these deficiencies going forward. If not, this team will be a .500 team in conference.

SoCalPat
12-14-2015, 02:30 PM
I was really surprised by the Wichita St. game. The Utes have been exposed as a team that cannot defend the perimeter and cannot handle the ball well. We saw both of these problems every time Delon sat the past two years, so they are not new problems. The question for me is whether the players are able to correct these deficiencies going forward. If not, this team will be a .500 team in conference.

The writing is on the wall for Isaiah Wright. Taylor is playing so horribly at the point, that minutes are begging to be taken by someone else. If he cannot establish himself this year as Utah's PG going forward, I wouldn't be surprised if he was encouraged to transfer.

I cannot ever remember seeing the regression from a four-year player and three-year starter that we're seeing out of Taylor.

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-14-2015, 03:08 PM
We don't have a Duke thread yet, but Amile Jefferson is out indefinitely with a foot injury.

EDIT: What ^ said.

Old Standing ute
12-14-2015, 03:14 PM
The writing is on the wall for Isaiah Wright. Taylor is playing so horribly at the point, that minutes are begging to be taken by someone else. If he cannot establish himself this year as Utah's PG going forward, I wouldn't be surprised if he was encouraged to transfer.

I cannot ever remember seeing the regression from a four-year player and three-year starter that we're seeing out of Taylor.

Taylor was really the 2 guard last year with Delon.
He now has the ball more often, but he thinks score first---not pass to Jakob first.
And being so short is now a problem as he is not coming off screens all the time like last year--he is not great at pick & roll as he can not see over defenders.

Utes miss Ogbe more than anyone expected--his size allows him to do more & he is a good passer---Bonam not so great other than driving, not a passing point.

Utebiquitous
12-14-2015, 03:25 PM
Guard issues aside, I'm most disappointed with a general lack of toughness which is particularly demonstrated on the road. Where was Loveridge Saturday? He may as well have been on his couch watching the game at home. Where is simply a commitment to defending. I just laugh as I think about Coach K bringing the Seal guys out to put these guys through bootcamp. What an example of puffery if I've ever heard of one. First and foremost as a fan, I want to see a team play hard and play together. There is not near enough of either from this team. Even in the wins, they have periods of team play but a lot of selfish play. Coach K needs to start using the bench a little more - as Rick did - to send a few more messages.

concerned
12-15-2015, 10:57 AM
Well, that question has been answered or resolved

Jon La Follette ‏@espn700jon (https://twitter.com/espn700jon) 1m1 minute ago (https://twitter.com/espn700jon/status/676822892307329024)
Freshman guard Brandon Miller requested and has been granted a release from the @Runnin_Utes (https://twitter.com/Runnin_Utes)

LA Ute
12-15-2015, 11:36 AM

Jon La Follette ‏@espn700jon (https://twitter.com/espn700jon) 1m1 minute ago (https://twitter.com/espn700jon/status/676822892307329024)
Freshman guard Brandon Miller requested and has been granted a release from the @Runnin_Utes (https://twitter.com/Runnin_Utes)

Isn't that kind of unusual at this point in the season? Maybe he did it to facilitate his ability to transfer.

UtahsMrSports
12-15-2015, 11:53 AM

I think the writing was on the wall once the walk ons started getting into blowouts before him. Timing is a bit strange but with the semester wrapping up this week, maybe he was just ready to go.

I imagine this means that Jayce Johnson will take that scholarship. Still unclear whether he will play at all this year.

Id also imagine that this, in a small way, opens up a spot for PVD going forward.

DrumNFeather
12-15-2015, 11:55 AM
Isn't that kind of unusual at this point in the season? Maybe he did it to facilitate his ability to transfer.

I think the writing was on the wall once the walk ons started getting into blowouts before him. Timing is a bit strange but with the semester wrapping up this week, maybe he was just ready to go.

I imagine this means that Jayce Johnson will take that scholarship. Still unclear whether he will play at all this year.

Interestingly enough, BYU just had a kid do the exact same thing.

SoCalPat
12-15-2015, 11:59 AM

Id also imagine that this, in a small way, opens up a spot for PVD going forward.

Not strange at all. He can enroll in his new school in January and be eligible for second semester next season. He'll then have two more years to play after that.

The timing of this all means Miller has a likely landing spot in mind. I wouldn't be surprised if he landed at SUU or Weber.

UtahsMrSports
12-15-2015, 12:00 PM
Strike my comment: per Goon, Miller's scholarship cant be transferred mid year. So JJ will be still a walk on.

LA Ute
12-16-2015, 08:45 AM
PAC-12 Hoops on Brandon Taylor's struggles:

http://pachoops.com/2015/12/brandon-taylors-currently-historical-decline/

U-Ute
12-16-2015, 08:52 AM
PAC-12 Hoops on Brandon Taylor's struggles:

http://pachoops.com/2015/12/brandon-taylors-currently-historical-decline/

I think he may be pressing too hard to be the guy everyone wants him to be. Or maybe he's got something going on in his personal life (academics, family, who knows) that is jacking up his mojo.

:(

Diehard Ute
12-16-2015, 08:54 AM
I think he may be pressing too hard to be the guy everyone wants him to be. Or maybe he's got something going on in his personal life (academics, family, who knows) that is jacking up his mojo.

:(

Per a Trib article the coaches have said asking him to play point and do more has made things harder. They also can't run the screen game for him as much in that role so he's not getting those looks

LA Ute
12-16-2015, 07:33 PM
It's Utah 84, Savanna State 39, with 6:07 to go in the game. Yikes.

Old Standing ute
12-16-2015, 08:46 PM
Savanna State really bad---but unlike against other bad teams, Utes put them away early. At first Jakob had no one to guard--but that got figured out.
Much more effort to feed the post---Kuzma & Brekkott with Jakob. Kuzma was just too big & jumped over smaller defenders. Brekkott played good floor game, rebounding & defending.

Bonam was very engaged---had 2 really nice steals off passes. He handled the ball, which left Tayor to play more off the ball---so he shot much better. And Bonam did not miss a shot--including 3's.

Still some really lazy passes across the top of the key--it is a very obvious pass that is telegraphed. I. Wright is very predictable in his game. He is too much pass first.

Ogbe not dressed.

Can't wait to see what kind of effort they bring to the Garden.

U-Ute
12-21-2015, 11:01 AM
I find it surprising Utah didn't crack the USA Today top 25 this morning.

Duke falls 4 spots to #10

http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa/basketball-men/polls/coaches-poll/

Fortunately for us, we can still prove it in conference.

U-Ute
12-21-2015, 11:19 AM
I'll have to watch tonight to see if Fallon wears the Utah hat.

https://twitter.com/utahathletics/status/678802173602488321

DrumNFeather
12-21-2015, 11:29 AM
I'll have to watch tonight to see if Fallon wears the Utah hat.

https://twitter.com/utahathletics/status/678802173602488321

He's off for Christmas break. Won't be a new episode until the new year.

U-Ute
12-21-2015, 11:34 AM
He's off for Christmas break. Won't be a new episode until the new year.

Damn. We'll have to keep the pressure on until then

Heheh.

justaute
12-21-2015, 11:48 AM
Not at all surprised. We were blown-out by Miami and Wichita State. As much as I loved our win over Duke, it did not have its top interior player -- of course, it's still Duke and its collection of Mickey D All Americans. If our losses were closer and we were more competitive, then perhaps.

I find it surprising Utah didn't crack the USA Today top 25 this morning.

Duke falls 4 spots to #10

http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa/basketball-men/polls/coaches-poll/

Fortunately for us, we can still prove it in conference.

concerned
12-21-2015, 12:12 PM
No. 24 in the AP

U-Ute
12-21-2015, 02:09 PM
Haha... Johnnie Bryant makes Rodney Hood pay up...

https://twitter.com/jbryant3/status/679011822616207360

Old Standing ute
12-21-2015, 03:19 PM
Nice article on Jakob on front page of sports section in NY Times today.

Someone with an e-subscription will have to share.

LA Ute
12-21-2015, 05:30 PM
This is interesting:

Jayce Johnson Set to Join Men's Basketball Team

http://www.utahutes.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/122115aab.html

Incoming freshman Jayce Johnson has arrived on campus and will begin working out with the Utah men’s basketball team beginning Monday, Dec. 21.

Johnson, who signed a National Letter of Intent this past November, was originally a four-star prospect in the 2016 class, but reclassified into the 2015 class as a mid-season addition. He graduated from Santa Monica High School early and will enroll at Utah this Spring semester.

Johnson, who was part of the three-player incoming class announced by head coach Larry Krystkowiak (http://www.utahutes.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/larry_krystkowiak_750696.html) this past November, was ranked the No. 47 overall recruit at 247sports.com this past fall and was tabbed the No. 11-ranked center overall by ESPN. Meanwhile, Scout.com called Johnson “one of the best true 5-man players in the nation.”

“We are really looking forward to having Jayce begin his college career today,” Krystkowiak said. “He is a terrific player and a high-character young man. I am excited for him and our program.”

Johnson will participate in practice today and will be available off the bench in Tuesday’s home game against Delaware State. Tip-off between the Utes and Hornets is set for 7 p.m. at the Jon M. Huntsman Center.

I don't that we'll see him playing this season. He doesn't know any sets and hasn't practiced at all. Won't he redshirt this season and learn from practicing against Poeltl?

Diehard Ute
12-21-2015, 05:34 PM
This is interesting:

Jayce Johnson Set to Join Men's Basketball Team

http://www.utahutes.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/122115aab.html

I don't that we'll see him playing this season. He doesn't know any sets and hasn't practiced at all. Won't he redshirt this season and learn from practicing against Poeltl?

They don't know yet.

He practiced today.

They want to see where he's at and see if he could be a help, they're supposed to sit down with Jayce and his parents tonight to decide the plan.

LA Ute
12-21-2015, 05:40 PM
Nice article on Jakob on front page of sports section in NY Times today.

Someone with an e-subscription will have to share.

Here's a link, with the first few paragraphs of the article:

Jakob Poeltl’s N.B.A. Dreams Began in an Unlikely Place: Austria (http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/21/sports/ncaabasketball/jakob-poeltls-nba-dreams-began-in-an-unlikely-place-austria.html?ref=sports&_r=0)

VIENNA — In February 2010, at age 14, Jakob Poeltl attended an N.B.A. (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/n/national_basketball_association/index.html?inline=nyt-org)game, his first, between the Knicks and the Washington Wizards at Madison Square Garden.

Even for Poeltl, a basketball-obsessed teenager who eclipsed his competition at home in both size and ability, a follow-up trip to the Garden without a ticket seemed unfathomable at the time.

In Vienna, young athletes rarely harbor N.B.A. dreams.

Almost six years later, Poeltl returned to the Garden on Saturday, scoring 19 points and grabbing 14 rebounds for Utah in a 77-75 victory over No. 7 Duke in the Ameritas Insurance Classic. Poeltl may soon be making regular visits to N.B.A. arenas after blossoming from infertile basketball soil into a possible lottery pick in next year’s draft, which would make him the first Austrian-born player in N.B.A. history.

Continue reading the main story (http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/21/sports/ncaabasketball/jakob-poeltls-nba-dreams-began-in-an-unlikely-place-austria.html?ref=sports&_r=0#story-continues-3)

“I try not to pay too much attention to it, but it’s obviously around,” Poeltl said by phone last week about his rising pro stock, bolstered by his averages of 19.1 points — on 70.2 percent shooting — and 9.9 rebounds this season. “I guess either way it’s a good thing, too. The hype around myself, especially back in Austria, people back home have been telling me basketball is in the news way more often now. Even little kids get exposed to it.”

U-Ute
12-22-2015, 07:57 AM
Larry commented last night that he doesn't expect him to play this year. Burning a redshirt for a handful of games wouldn't be helpful to anyone.

In my mind, the biggest thing is the practice time he will get against Poeltl.

UTEopia
12-22-2015, 08:00 AM
Larry commented last night that he doesn't expect him to play this year. Burning a redshirt for a handful of games wouldn't be helpful to anyone.

In my mind, the biggest thing is the practice time he will get against Poeltl.

I think that is the wisest course. Just as in the Duke game, during conference the bench gets shorter. Only 8 Utes played against Duke despite the fact that several were in foul trouble.

U-Ute
12-22-2015, 10:08 AM
The entire conference season plus the postseason is hardly a handful of games. He would only be missing one preseason. If he can help this team right now, I have no problem with burning the redshirt. We have more momentum as a program right now than we've had in a long time. The team so far does not look like a sure tournament team. I think it's very important for recruiting to keep momentum going.

Larry's comment was along the lines "this season will be over pretty quick. January, February, and the tournament in March. It will go fast." I agree with him. You have to look at it context of a kid who has 4 years to play. Do you burn a year to play kid who will most likely be lost until March?

But, he didn't rule it out. He framed any decision as "what would be best for Jayce as well as the team".

DrumNFeather
12-22-2015, 10:56 AM
Good, that is what it should be. I think there is a chance that playing could be in the best interests of both Jayce and the team.

What if having a backup 5 is the difference between making the tournament and missing it? What if it's the difference between making a deep run and not? Those are things worth missing a dozen games over a four career for. We don't know when we'll have another chance to play two quality big men side by side (assuming Jayce is a quality big man, which is what the decision hinges on).

I remember when Wilson was knocked out for the second of the 5-7 seasons and the coaches refused to pull redshirts off of Cox and/or Manning (in lieu of letting what seemed like a fairly limited player in Adam Schultz take the reigns). My thought at the time was that I was willing to gamble their redshirt on getting to a bowl game vs. missing the bowl and hoping they turn into the next Alex Smith. It seems like the decision is similar for Johnson, with an entire conference slate in front of him. I'm sure there were/are legit reasons for not playing a guy, but as a fan/guy on the couch, I'd like to see us put our best team out there, or at least the team that might give you a slightly better chance to win.

DrumNFeather
12-23-2015, 07:58 AM
This is more of a 2016-2017 team item, but whatever, that's a long ways away. Utes to play in the Diamond Head Classic next year in Hawaii: http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2015/12/hawaiian-airlines-diamond-head-classic-field-announced-joining-top-teams-for-2016-espn-events-early-season-mens-basketball-tournaments/

Field includes: Utah, Hawaii, Illinois State, SDSU, San Francisco, Southern Miss., Tulsa, San Francisco, Stephen F. Austin.

UBlender
12-23-2015, 08:34 AM
This is more of a 2016-2017 team item, but whatever, that's a long ways away. Utes to play in the Diamond Head Classic next year in Hawaii: http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2015/12/hawaiian-airlines-diamond-head-classic-field-announced-joining-top-teams-for-2016-espn-events-early-season-mens-basketball-tournaments/

Field includes: Utah, Hawaii, Illinois State, SDSU, San Francisco, Southern Miss., Tulsa, San Francisco, Stephen F. Austin.

The Dons are going to be tired. I wonder what happens if they win all of their matchups and have to play themselves. Can a team beat itself? (Oh, who am I kidding, BYU has been doing it for years.)

In all seriousness, I don't know much but at first glance it looks like a very winnable field for Utah, depending on what the Aztecs come back with next year. Tulsa and SFA could also be tough outs.

DrumNFeather
12-23-2015, 09:01 AM
The Dons are going to be tired. I wonder what happens if they win all of their matchups and have to play themselves. Can a team beat itself? (Oh, who am I kidding, BYU has been doing it for years.)

In all seriousness, I don't know much but at first glance it looks like a very winnable field for Utah, depending on what the Aztecs come back with next year. Tulsa and SFA could also be tough outs.

Last day before the holiday break...I'll chalk it up to that.

UtahsMrSports
12-29-2015, 09:10 AM
All right, this is a completely random thought that I had no idea where to put so here goes.......

With the Collette news, our roster looks like this next year:

PG-Bonam, I wright, Zamora, PVD
SG-Ogbe, Daniels
SF-Bealer
PF-Kuzma, Chapman, Reyes
C-Johnson, Collette, Mawien

Those positions are hardly set in stone, just for visualization purposes.

Is it possible that Chapman gets moved to the 3 for the final two years of his career? I'd love to see him get more playing time and his talent just feels wasted being a backup to Kuz.

LA Ute
12-29-2015, 09:40 AM
Interesting breakdown of where the Utes are just before the PAC-12 season begins:

What We Learned from Runnin' Utes Prior to Conference Play
http://www.blocku.com/2015/12/28/10674754/what-we-learned-from-runnin-utes-prior-to-conference-play

concerned
12-29-2015, 09:47 AM
All right, this is a completely random thought that I had no idea where to put so here goes.......

With the Collette news, our roster looks like this next year:

PG-Bonam, I wright, Zamora, PVD
SG-Ogbe, Daniels
SF-Bealer
PF-Kuzma, Chapman, Reyes
C-Johnson, Collette, Mawien

Those positions are hardly set in stone, just for visualization purposes.

Is it possible that Chapman gets moved to the 3 for the final two years of his career? I'd love to see him get more playing time and his talent just feels wasted being a backup to Kuz.

I would expect PVD to play back-up 2 (if he plays at all); off the bench as a spot up 3 point shooter when needed. He seemed to slow to play the point.

UtahsMrSports
12-29-2015, 11:05 AM
I would expect PVD to play back-up 2 (if he plays at all); off the bench as a spot up 3 point shooter when needed. He seemed to slow to play the point.

Good point. Most definitely a heat-check guy.

SoCalPat
12-29-2015, 01:26 PM
Interesting breakdown of where the Utes are just before the PAC-12 season begins:

What We Learned from Runnin' Utes Prior to Conference Play

http://www.blocku.com/2015/12/28/10674754/what-we-learned-from-runnin-utes-prior-to-conference-play

I'm worried about this team. We turn the ball over so much that even on a night in which we shoot well, we can still get blown out (see Miami). Giving up 75 points to COI is an abomination. And we're the worst team in the Pac 12 in defending the 3, which is a total reversal from previous years. Even our 5-win team in Larry's first year defended the 3 better than we are now (39.0 percent then to 39.3 percent today).

I would not be surprised if we opened up 0-3 in league play. I will consider 1-2 a success, and 2-1 or better ... well, I hope we can forget everything said in this post.

LA Ute
12-29-2015, 02:06 PM
I'm worried about this team. We turn the ball over so much that even on a night in which we shoot well, we can still get blown out (see Miami). Giving up 75 points to COI is an abomination. And we're the worst team in the Pac 12 in defending the 3, which is a total reversal from previous years. Even our 5-win team in Larry's first year defended the 3 better than we are now (39.0 percent then to 39.3 percent today).

I would not be surprised if we opened up 0-3 in league play. I will consider 1-2 a success, and 2-1 or better ... well, I hope we can forget everything said in this post.

I walked in to the game against College of Idaho a few minutes late. The 16-2 score was pretty amazing! To be fair, COI took 39 three-point shots and in the early going I guess they were making them. But we could not take that shot away from them all game long and they were able to get lots of open looks.

justaute
12-29-2015, 05:06 PM
Absolutely agree. In particular, I worry both about the guards and forwards. Still don't think our BB IQ is particularly high.

#1 Utefan
01-01-2016, 06:26 PM
Absolutely agree. In particular, I worry both about the guards and forwards. Still don't think our BB IQ is particularly high.

I think this teams biggest problem is a lack of physical and mental toughness (that and a legit backup center). I read a Gooner article in the Trib today that said Jace Johnson has brought an element of physicality and toughness to practices that has been needed. This kind of confirmed my perception of this team's biggest weakness to this point.

I think it is 50/50 at this point whether Johnson plays this year but maybe his presence could help solve both of these problems.

justaute
01-01-2016, 09:26 PM
Yup. We have no meaningful bench. We don't have good PG. Taylor may have the heart of a lion, but as a SG/PG, he has the game of a tiny kitten this season. Loveridge/Chapman/Kuzma are all defensive liabilities 1-on-1.

Mormon Red Death
01-01-2016, 09:26 PM
How many times is Brandon taylor going to miss free throws that would have won us games?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

DrumNFeather
01-01-2016, 09:31 PM
Perhaps we need a few more true road games in our preseason schedule.

Mormon Red Death
01-01-2016, 09:34 PM
Perhaps we need a few more true road games in our preseason schedule.

Or the two best free throw shooters and senior starters could make one f-ing free throw

Mormon Red Death
01-01-2016, 09:35 PM
Oh well shit happens...of course this will come back to bite us

DrumNFeather
01-01-2016, 09:38 PM
Or the two best free throw shooters and senior starters could make one f-ing free throw

Either could help...one more immediately than the other.

LA Ute
01-01-2016, 10:51 PM
Loveridge's troubles tonight against Stanford reminded of a question I've been asking myself. This is not an angry question, because I'm not really angry about tonight, just amazed. Why does Loveridge get the minutes he gets? Seriously, what is it that he adds to the team that makes him so valuable? With the regular disappearing acts that most of us comment on, I am wondering why he is worth starting and getting all those minutes with that inconsistency. The play tonight that stands out to me is the Stanford dunk (by Roscoe Allen?) when Chapman lost his footing and Allen blew right past Loveridge, who put on a bit of classic matador defense. He just stood there flat-footed.

So what am I missing that Jordan gives us?

DrumNFeather
01-01-2016, 11:03 PM
Loveridge's troubles tonight against Stanford reminded of a question I've been asking myself. This is not an angry question, because I'm not really angry about tonight, just amazed. Why does Loveridge get the minutes he gets? Seriously, what is it that he adds to the team that makes him so valuable? With the regular disappearing acts that most of us comment on, I am wondering why he is worth starting and getting all those minutes with that inconsistency. The play tonight that stands out to me is the Stanford dunk (by Roscoe Allen?) when Chapman lost his footing and Allen blew right past Loveridge, who put on a bit of classic matador defense. He just stood there flat-footed.

So what am I missing that Jordan gives us?
It might...might be fair to call him the Travis Wilson of the basketball program. I've been working on this theory for some time now.

NorthwestUteFan
01-01-2016, 11:19 PM
It was Chapman who fell down to allow Roscoe's first dunk.

Mormon Red Death
01-02-2016, 07:05 AM
what is up with Ogbe? he's still hurt? We could have really used him last night to.

LA Ute
01-02-2016, 10:19 AM
Yes, it was. But if you watch the replay you'll see that Jordan was facing Roscoe and was the man between Roscoe and the basket. He basically waved at Roscoe as he went by, when a hard foul was really called for. It was a terrible failure of help defense.

I think Sancho is right -- Jordan's in the game to score. I guess the coaches have decided that his scoring potential, in all its inconsistent glory, is worth the defensive liability he is. He does seem to get some tough rebounds at key moments.

concerned
01-02-2016, 10:26 AM
Last night they look like the Utah teams from two or three years ago. Tentative. No idea how to break down a zone. Throwing the ball around the perimeter until the last second shot. Can't get the ball into the post. Very ugly all round

Ma'ake
01-02-2016, 10:45 AM
We didn't get homered, but the Refs seemed intent on being the center of attention. Who told those clowns they would get $20 every time they blew the whistle?

The highest fouling team in the nation this year is Washington, averaging 24.6 per game, ranked 346th.

Last night each team had 25 fouls, so 50 total for the game. Really marginal calls throughout - disrupted the game and confused the players.

The most important player on the team is becoming Bonam, as Poeltl gets all the defensive attention, and D1 basketball players are quick enough and long enough to double down AND push the "safe" 3-point range well beyond the line.

Old Standing ute
01-02-2016, 11:24 AM
Loveridge plays because there is no better option; Tucker is limited, Ogbe is out injured & Bealer defends less than Loveridge---hard to imagine but true.
Bealer is a big disappointment, he practiced last year, but does not appear to get it at this level.

Hope Ogbe or Bealer can turn it around or they find some over-looked gem at Juco who cam play 2/3 next year.

U-Ute
01-02-2016, 01:28 PM
Loveridge plays because there is no better option; Tucker is limited, Ogbe is out injured & Bealer defends less than Loveridge---hard to imagine but true.

Loveridge rebounds well. Probably the reason he gets time.

Bealer is a big disappointment, he practiced last year, but does not appear to get it at this level.

This is disappointing.

Hope Ogbe or Bealer can turn it around or they find some over-looked gem at Juco who cam play 2/3 next year.

Based on these comments, it seems like the Ogbe injury is the thing really causing the problems for this team.

Ma'ake
01-02-2016, 05:10 PM
Loveridge rebounds well. Probably the reason he gets time.

He pulled down 9 defensive boards last night. Even if his long game is off, he's usually nails at the line. Taylor and Loveridge both inexplicably turned into FT brick masons at the wrong time.

I'm calling that game an anomaly.

justaute
01-02-2016, 05:20 PM
Agreed -- those four missed free-throws by Loveridge and Taylor were definitely an anomaly; however, the poor defense, poor PG plays, and poor decision-making were not.

He pulled down 9 defensive boards last night. Even if his long game is off, he's usually nails at the line. Taylor and Loveridge both inexplicably turned into FT brick masons at the wrong time.

I'm calling that game an anomaly.

SoCalPat
01-02-2016, 05:21 PM
Agreed -- those missed four free-throws by Loveridge and Taylor were definitely an anomaly; however, the poor defense, poor PG plays, and poor decision-making were not.

Taylor has been bad at the line before. Remember the 3 misses he had in OT of the Arizona game two years ago in SLC after getting fouled on a 3?

Mormon Red Death
01-02-2016, 06:21 PM
Taylor has been bad at the line before. Remember the 3 misses he had in OT of the Arizona game two years ago in SLC after getting fouled on a 3?
Or the 3 misses he had at ucla and Washington

SeattleUte
01-02-2016, 06:48 PM
We beat out NAIA schools for Taylor. We signed him when Utah won 5 games but Kodiak had nowhere else to turn. He's tiny. He's an example of the Peter Principle. It's amazing he's even competing at this level. But all of the foregoing is a testament to his character, and he was a crucial element of Kodiak's salvation of the proud program and tradition that Boylen all but destroyed. We should be adoring him, not criticizing him. He's done the best he could but that's been enough to make him a VIP in Utah basketball history.

Ma'ake
01-02-2016, 08:00 PM
We beat out NAIA schools for Taylor. We signed him when Utah won 5 games but Kodiak had nowhere else to turn. He's tiny. He's an example of the Peter Principle. It's amazing he's even competing at this level. But all of the foregoing is a testament to his character, and he was a crucial element of Kodiak's salvation of the proud program and tradition that Boylen all but destroyed. We should be adoring him, not criticizing him. He's done the best he could but that's been enough to make him a VIP in Utah basketball history.

If Taylor was 6-4, he'd be a 1st round NBA pick. I totally agree about holding Taylor up - he's the heart and soul of this team. He was the emotional leader last year, even with Delon's dominant role.

Dakarai Tucker's dad told me about Taylor lighting up Tucker's team in HS for 55 points. At the D1 level, he always seems to find a crack when the defender is leaning the wrong way, and he finds a way to take *good* 3 point shots, even though he'll only get 2 or 3 possible looks, against high level competition.

I really don't know what the deal is with Taylor sometimes losing his shot at the line late in games, but he was 2nd team All PAC last year, which is pretty remarkable, in a league stuffed with NBA prospects.

justaute
01-02-2016, 09:09 PM
Taylor's performance aside, I'm quite disappointed with Wright's development and that we don't have other options at PG. Candidly, relatively speaking, still not that impressed with Kuzma/Chapman.

Ma'ake
01-02-2016, 09:25 PM
Taylor's performance aside, I'm quite disappointed with Wright's development and that we don't have other options at PG. Candidly, relatively speaking, still not that impressed with Kuzma/Chapman.

It's been nice to see I-Wright starting to knock down some 3s. He seems solid, overall, but on this team, hard to break into a significant role. If Ogbe was healthy, he might have a hard time getting minutes.

Kuzma is quite a bit better than last year, physically. Chapman is about the same, knows the schemes, what's going on, and is a natural offensive talent. But he needs to put on 15 lbs, minimum, then he would be a serious force.

DrumNFeather
01-05-2016, 01:18 PM
Just read on the twitter that LK is still open to Jayce Johnson playing this year...said they'll have to meet about it. Makol is a redshirt all the way.

LA Ute
01-05-2016, 01:39 PM
Just read on the twitter that LK is still open to Jayce Johnson playing this year...said they'll have to meet about it. Makol is a redshirt all the way.

I was wondering if LK might start thinking that way, in light of the team's troubles when Poeltl is not on the floor.

DrumNFeather
01-06-2016, 02:23 PM
Per Goon, it sounds like it is up to Jayce Johnson as to whether or not he plays this year.

SoCalPat
01-11-2016, 10:01 AM
Put the Colorado win in the all-time gutcheck wins for Utah. I said I'd consider 1-2 a success, and although it didn't happen like I envisioned it (the one win was supposed to be at Stanford), coming home off a win sets us up nicely to gain some mojo.

I really think the No. 1 seed in Vegas goes 12-6. For Utah, getting there means winning out at home (9 wins), plus getting two more road wins. Nobody's come close to taking control of this league yet, but once a team loses twice at home, it's going to be very close to flatlining its title hopes.

DrumNFeather
01-11-2016, 10:04 AM
Put the Colorado win in the all-time gutcheck wins for Utah. I said I'd consider 1-2 a success, and although it didn't happen like I envisioned it (the one win was supposed to be at Stanford), coming home off a win sets us up nicely to gain some mojo.

I really think the No. 1 seed in Vegas goes 12-6. For Utah, getting there means winning out at home (9 wins), plus getting two more road wins. Nobody's come close to taking control of this league yet, but once a team loses twice at home, it's going to be very close to flatlining its title hopes.

The upcoming schedule provides some opportunities...sweep the Oregon schools at home and even if you split with the Washington schools (WSU is probably a must-get on the road) you are in decent shape.

Rocker Ute
01-11-2016, 04:27 PM
Lunardi has 8 teams from the PAC-12 in his current bracket... wow. SoCalPat's prediction of the conference champ having 6 losses is probably spot on.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

Mormon Red Death
01-11-2016, 04:41 PM
Lunardi has 8 teams from the PAC-12 in his current bracket... wow. SoCalPat's prediction of the conference champ having 6 losses is probably spot on.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology
How bout the 6 seed in raleigh? I could like that

311ute
01-12-2016, 10:59 AM
Current bracket projections:
ESPN: 7 seed
CBS: 5 seed
NBC: 4 seed

According to bracketmatrix.com, we have an average seed 6.96 right now. http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

Here's an ESPN insider article about how the Pac12 is sitting pretty because of RPI. 11 of 12 teams are currently in the top-75. That's insane. If the Utes can win 11 conference games they'll be in great shape.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/14547477/behind-bracket-joe-lunardi-pac-12-playing-numbers-game

Currently we have 3 top-50 RPI wins... we had 4 all of last year. Oregon is ranked 10th, OSU 28th.

U-Ute
01-12-2016, 11:08 AM
Current bracket projections:
ESPN: 7 seed
CBS: 5 seed
NBC: 4 seed

According to bracketmatrix.com, we have an average seed 6.96 right now. http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

Here's an ESPN insider article about how the Pac12 is sitting pretty because of RPI. 11 of 12 teams are currently in the top-75. That's insane. If the Utes can win 11 conference games they'll be in great shape.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/14547477/behind-bracket-joe-lunardi-pac-12-playing-numbers-game

Currently we have 3 top-50 RPI wins... we had 4 all of last year. Oregon is ranked 10th, OSU 28th.

Right now, we have a few issues that have me thinking we are any better than a 6 seed. Granted, a lot of this has to do with how many teams are better than us. But 6 is top 24, which seems legit. I am not sure we're a top 20 team right now.

If Bonham continues to sack up and win games for us, that will go a long way to boosting us.

LA Ute
01-20-2016, 01:07 PM
Good post on UF.net about why the offense struggles:

http://utefans.net/message.php?id=1803004

DrumNFeather
01-26-2016, 07:39 AM
The Utes are the first part of Andy Katz's 3 Point Shot: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=14651116

Diehard Ute
01-26-2016, 09:25 AM
Utah is an 8 seed in latest Bracketology.

Quick list of Utah resume victories according to Lunardi:

Duke (6 seed), Colorado (10, last four byes), San Diego St (12), UW (12, last four in),

First 8 out: Texas Tech, Oregon State

Our losses:

Miami (3), Oregon (4), Wichita St (7), Cal (9), Stanford (first 8 out)

That makes us 4-4 vs the field and 2-1 vs the bubble (5-1 if you want to expand the bubble to include Temple, BYU, and IPFW).

Duke a 6? Really?

311ute
01-26-2016, 09:40 AM
bracketmatrix.com has us as a 6 seed (6.85 average).

Bracket projections released yesterday:

ESPN: 8 seed http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology/_/iteration/209
USA Today: 6 seed http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2016/01/25/ncaa-tournament-bracketology-march-madness-north-carolina-kansas-oklahoma-iowa/79291906/
CBS: 6 seed http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology
NBC Sports: 5 seed http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2016/01/25/new-bracketology-update-hawkeyes-surge-to-top-line/

SoCalPat
01-26-2016, 03:49 PM
Good post on UF.net about why the offense struggles:

http://utefans.net/message.php?id=1803004

The 30-second clock hurts Utah because it takes 7-8 seconds to bring the ball upcourt? And 3-4 seconds to recognize the defense? I stopped really caring once I read that.

SoCalPat
01-26-2016, 03:52 PM
I think POY is a three man race right now between Andrews, Poeltl, and Payton. Maybe Josh Scott?

Andrews: 21.7 pts, 40 FG, 40% 3FG, 84% FT, 6.2 reb, 4.7 ast, 1.4 stl, 2.6 to

Poeltl: 16.9 pts, 64% FG, 70% FT, 9.0 reb, 2.1 ast, 1.8 blk, 1.9 to

Payton: 17.5 pts, 51% FG, 29% 3FG, 65% FT, 8.4 reb, 5.3 ast, 2.4 stl, 2.7 to

Scott: 17.5 pts, 59% FG, 43% 3FG, 77% FT, 9.8 reb, 1.9 ast, 1.9 blk, 1.4 to

You gotta include Dillon Brooks in there as well. The POY race is just as jumbled right now as the race for a top 4 seed and regular season title.

LA Ute
01-26-2016, 04:26 PM
Poeltl Named Oscar Robertson National Player of the Week

"Poeltl becomes the first Pac-12 to receive the award since Dec. 2012 (Shabazz Muhammad, UCLA) and is just the fourth Pac-12 player to earn the award since its creation in 2009. He becomes the first Utah player to earn the honor."

http://www.utahutes.com/m/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/012616aab.html

U-Ute
01-26-2016, 05:37 PM
Mock NBA draft puts Poeltl at #8.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2016/

concerned
01-26-2016, 05:39 PM
Mock NBA draft puts Poeltl at #8.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2016/

who was the extensively tatooed BYU player from South America who went 8? Bad karma.

But Andre Miller went 8 now that I think about it.

U-Ute
01-26-2016, 05:41 PM
who was the extensively tatooed BYU player from South America who went 8? Bad karma.

Araujo? The difference is that Poeltl has talent.

SoCalPat
01-26-2016, 06:01 PM

As did Tom Chambers.

LA Ute
01-26-2016, 06:06 PM
Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafael_Ara%C3%BAjo_(basketball)):

"Rafael Paulo de Lara Araújo, nicknamed "Baby" and later "Bàbby" in Brazil, is a Brazilian professional basketball player. He played for three years in the National Basketball Association, a career largely marred by major failure."

UBlender
01-29-2016, 10:02 AM
I thought this was a well-balanced and reasonable article on Jakob and his NBA prospects. My one quibble was that I think his defense suffers from the fact that he knows this team is dead in the water if he gets into significant foul trouble. You can see him pull back often and contest a shot rather than try to block or take a charge. I think his defense was better last year when he was able to play with more abandon knowing that Dallin Bachynski could hold the fort down if he picked up some fouls.

https://thecauldron.si.com/nba-draft-watch-jakob-poeltl-and-damian-jones-c9367a3458dc#.94v6e6r5r

concerned
01-29-2016, 06:18 PM
Good article in the Trib on two utes son, lew evans, at Utah State. On my phone so I can't cut and paste. Congratulations to two utes.

Jarid in Cedar
01-30-2016, 08:37 PM
We need to split the road games, beat Oregon, and hold serve at home to have a shot at the league title. 6-3 gets us a first round bye in Vegas

Jarid in Cedar
01-30-2016, 08:48 PM
If we split the roadies and hold at home, we will get to 7-2 in the 2nd half. Even better.

Right, which will get us a shot at the league title.

Going 6-3 instead will get us a first round bye, but not enough to win the league

Sorry if I wasn't clear on what I was saying

Jarid in Cedar
01-30-2016, 08:57 PM
I just have a hard time reading. Either way, it will be tough. Lots of good teams to play.

I think 5-4 is the floor. Worst case scenario at home is 4-1, and 1-3 on the road.

I think 6-3 is the most likely finish

UBlender
01-30-2016, 09:20 PM
I think 5-4 is the floor. Worst case scenario at home is 4-1, and 1-3 on the road.

I think 6-3 is the most likely finish

I think you're right and oh man that first Stanford game.....

LA Ute
01-30-2016, 09:31 PM

Someone was joking that it almost looked like they were throwing that game but that no one who was throwing a game would have made it look so obvious by blowing the game so badly.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
01-30-2016, 11:53 PM
You guys seem to be finding your groove since we beat you in SLC. Next Sunday should be a good one. I don't know if there are any PNW folks here but I've got tickets I won't be using, shoot me a message and you can have them.

SeattleUte
01-31-2016, 12:37 AM
You guys seem to be finding your groove since we beat you in SLC. Next Sunday should be a good one. I don't know if there are any PNW folks here but I've got tickets I won't be using, shoot me a message and you can have them.

I submit it's now a two-team race! I'd love to go and will try to make it. I'll let you know.

SeattleUte
01-31-2016, 12:39 AM

Look on the bright side. We also have won two or three that could as easily have gone the other way.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
01-31-2016, 01:52 PM
I submit it's now a two-team race! I'd love to go and will try to make it. I'll let you know.

You bet let me know. I'd love you to come to Sacrament meeting with me too!

NorthwestUteFan
01-31-2016, 02:54 PM
Definitely go to Sac Mtg too. SU should share his testimonkey.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-31-2016, 05:18 PM

Can't wait to see SU court side!

Jarid in Cedar
01-31-2016, 11:07 PM

I agree. Initially,I thought it would hating us with positioning within the conference tournament. Sadly, it could come back and cost us a real shot at the conference title.

DrumNFeather
02-05-2016, 08:25 AM
The loss does not appear to have hurt our RPI or SOS (17, 28). Maybe it hasn't been updated yet.

LA Ute
02-06-2016, 08:23 AM
Moving beyond Brandon's bad awful day, what about the dumb TOs on inbounds plays? There have been three of those in three tight games down the stretch: Duke, Stanford, OSU. They were key contributors to the two losses that should've been wins. Without those we'd be sitting pretty in the PAC-12 and ranked. That needs to be fixed.

SeattleUte
02-06-2016, 01:04 PM
I'm wondering if we should push back on SCP's statement that Kodiak loses 80% of his close games whereas if Kodiak isn't doing something wrong the law of averages ought to make it about 50/50 (like a coin toss). I count five such games this season: Duke, Colorado, Washington, Stanford, and Oregon State. Kodiak has won 60% of these. Am I missing any?

concerned
02-06-2016, 01:16 PM
I'm wondering if we should push back on SCP's statement that Kodiak loses 80% of his close games whereas if Kodiak isn't doing something wrong the law of averages ought to make it about 50/50 (like a coin toss). I count five such games this season: Duke, Colorado, Washington, Stanford, and Oregon State. Kodiak has won 60% of these. Am I missing any?

Oregon State home game. It was give and take until the trip, and we came from behind. IMHO, we would have won without the trip.

LA Ute
02-06-2016, 03:27 PM

That is a helpful perspective. Glass half-full and all that. Colorado in particular was a tough-minded road win. So was Washington. And, like concerned, I think we win the OSU game at home even without the tripping incident. I'm not talking about percentages, but about poise. I'm just hoping that these Utes can get better and tougher in close games. In the final minutes of the Duke game they narrowly avoided disastrously blowing a lead and beating themselves in a marquee game on national TV. The mistakes were shockingly stupid and unforced. That would have been an aberration and a learning experience, except it wasn't -- Stanford and now OSU are exhibits A and B. I'm hoping there isn't an exhibit C coming. It's not a matter of percentages or the way the breaks fall. Collapsing like they did against OSU Thursday night was not a matter of breaks. Larry is a top-tier coach and I think he can fix it.

U-Ute
02-08-2016, 09:32 AM
Lunardi still has Utah in as a 7 seed. (http://espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology?src=desktop&rand=ref~{%22ref%22%3A%22https%3A%2F%2Fwww.reddit. com%2Fr%2FCollegeBasketball%2Fcomments%2F40h760%2F lunardi_bracketology%2F%22})

Wow. That's one funky URL.

SoCalPat
02-08-2016, 09:45 AM

Someone else can do the homework, but if we change the criteria (5 points or less/OT) instead of 3/OT, I would be his percentages would improve slightly, but not markedly so.

LA Ute
02-10-2016, 09:32 AM
So how much do we miss Jeremy Olsen this year? A lot, I think. Imagine having him available to spell Jakob when Jakob is in foul trouble. Instead, we get Reyes.

DrumNFeather
02-12-2016, 10:28 AM
Mike Yam of the Pac 12 network was part of the Mock Selection committee, who just finished its bracket (no articles, just twitter stuff at this point) has the Utes in as a #4 seed.

SoCalPat
02-13-2016, 03:35 PM
Our future in Vegas essentially comes down to getting a split from our games against USC and Arizona. Lose both, and we're at 7 losses, meaning we would have to win all others, including at UCLA -- which we've never done -- to finish 11-7. 10-8 will not get anyone a top 4 seed. But 11-7 would have us with tiebreakers against the other contenders for the 4 spot, most notably Colorado and Arizona.

LA Ute
02-14-2016, 08:48 AM
Nice story about Bonam's life and his road to Utah.

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/3532691-155/utah-basketball-in-the-lane-and?fullpage=1

UtahsMrSports
02-18-2016, 11:01 AM
http://www.sltrib.com/blogs/uofusports/3549170-155/utah-basketball-austin-eastman-sounds-off

Story from Goon on the scout team. I think our future is really bright.

311ute
02-19-2016, 11:01 AM
Updated resume for the Runnin Utes:

RPI: 16
SOS: 23
NCSOS: 19
vs top-25: 2-4
vs top-50: 6-6
vs top-100: 13-7
sub-100 losses: 0
road/neutral record: 7-6

Games remaining: (@USC (RPI 22), ASU (81), UA (24), CU (31), Pac-12 Tourney). Possibly 1 more top-25 win, 3 more top-50 wins, 4 more top-100 wins.

Compare with last year's FINAL resume heading into Selection Sunday:

RPI: 20
SOS: 32
NCSOS: 50
vs top-25: 1-3
vs top-50: 3-7
vs top-100: 7-7
sub-100 losses: 1
road/neutral record: 8-7

Conclusion: It's not unreasonable to expect a top-5 seed (in the NCAA Tourney). If we finish 12-6 with a win in Vegas, I think the absolute worst seed we would get is a 5. 3 or 4 would be possible.

LA Ute
02-19-2016, 11:30 AM

Games remaining: (@USC (RPI 22), ASU (81), UA (24), CU (31), Pac-12 Tourney). Possibly 1 more top-25 win, 3 more top-50 wins, 4 more top-100 wins.

Conclusion: It's not unreasonable to expect a top-5 seed (in the NCAA Tourney). If we finish 12-6 with a win in Vegas, I think the absolute worst seed we would get is a 5. 3 or 4 would be possible.

FWIW, KenPom has us at 39. Here's how he stacks up the PAC-12:

Arizona 13
Oregon 18
USC 28
Cal 30
Utah 39
UCLA 57
Colorado 61
OSU 67
Washington 74
ASU 80
Stanford 100
WSU 187

The Stanford and Oregon State losses probably hurt us with Ken.

311ute
02-19-2016, 11:36 AM

Arizona 13
Oregon 18
USC 28
Cal 30
Utah 39
UCLA 57
Colorado 61
OSU 67
Washington 74
ASU 80
Stanford 100
WSU 187

MOV is the big killer with KenPom (and other advanced metrics like BPI). We've had some blow-out losses (Miami, Wichita, Oregon) and some close wins. Compare it with last year where we had lots of 10+, 20+ wins, and most of our losses were relatively close.

Good thing is, the Selection Committee doesn't take major consideration into KenPom, BPI, etc. RPI is mainly used to determine "quality wins/losses", i.e. top-50, top-100 etc.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
02-19-2016, 12:12 PM

I remember a couple of years ago when Oregon had similar numbers to what you were posting and got a 12 seed. Never underestimate the selection committee underseeding P12 teams.

U-Ute
02-19-2016, 12:27 PM

Arizona 13
Oregon 18
USC 28
Cal 30
Utah 39
UCLA 57
Colorado 61
OSU 67
Washington 74
ASU 80
Stanford 100
WSU 187

I heard him on the radio a couple of days ago admit that his system probably undervalues the Utes.

311ute
02-19-2016, 12:41 PM
I remember a couple of years ago when Oregon had similar numbers to what you were posting and got a 12 seed. Never underestimate the selection committee underseeding P12 teams.

Oregon's 2013 resume (when they got a 12 seed):

RPI: 46
SOS: 125
NCSOS: 253
vs top-25: 2-0
vs top-50: 4-3
vs top-100: 10-7
road/neutral record: 9-6

Yes, Oregon got a big time screw job with that 12 seed. The biggest thing here is SOS and particularly NCSOS. The Committee has always gone on record as saying they will never give the benefit of the doubt to a team who didn't challenge themselves in the non-conf. That's where we'll really benefit this year, when you look at not only our SOS, but NCSOS. Also the reason why I think Arizona isn't going to get as good of a seed as many are now predicting... their NCSOS is 273.

LA Ute
02-19-2016, 12:57 PM
I heard him on the radio a couple of days ago admit that his system probably undervalues the Utes.

Aha!! Well, I am going to file that one away for future arguments with non-Ute fans. Thanks.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
02-19-2016, 02:00 PM
Oregon's 2013 resume (when they got a 12 seed):

RPI: 46
SOS: 125
NCSOS: 253
vs top-25: 2-0
vs top-50: 4-3
vs top-100: 10-7
road/neutral record: 9-6

Yes, Oregon got a big time screw job with that 12 seed. The biggest thing here is SOS and particularly NCSOS. The Committee has always gone on record as saying they will never give the benefit of the doubt to a team who didn't challenge themselves in the non-conf. That's where we'll really benefit this year, when you look at not only our SOS, but NCSOS. Also the reason why I think Arizona isn't going to get as good of a seed as many are now predicting... their NCSOS is 273.

I do remember that teams non-conf schedule. That one was a bit hard to digest $40 a ticket for.

Dwight Schr-Ute
02-19-2016, 02:35 PM
I do remember that teams non-conf schedule. That one was a bit hard to digest $40 a ticket for.

Floor seats for $40?! Knock it off.

Diehard Ute
02-19-2016, 02:38 PM
Floor seats for $40?! Knock it off.

I'm shocked anyone would pay $40 to stare at that floor.