PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Football Recruiting Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

DrumNFeather
03-31-2015, 01:36 PM
Time for this thread to get going.

Utah picked up a commit from 3 Star OT Tucker Scott, from San Clemente in California. He is the son of former Utah O-lineman Lance Scott. He currently shows other offers from BYU, Nevada, and USU.

This brings Utah's Class up to 5 Commits for the 2016 season:

Mica Croom, DB, La Mirada - CA, 3 Stars
Kahi Neves, QB, Salt Lake City - UT, 3 Stars
Tucker Scott, OT, San Clemente - CA, 3 Stars
Kurtis Taufa, LB, Ephraim - UT, 2 Stars
Mitch Wishnowsky, K, Santa Barbara - CA, 0 Stars

NorthwestUteFan
03-31-2015, 08:15 PM
Lance Scott was a year behind me in school. Now I feel old.

sancho
06-06-2015, 03:42 PM
Twitter is reporting that Jordan Fogal has committed to Utah. DB out of CA.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Jordan-Fogal-128194

DrumNFeather
06-27-2015, 07:05 AM
Utes pick up two commitments from their camp in California:

Daevon Vigilant, a 3 star athlete out of California, shows offers from Army, CU, Michigan, Navy, WSU and the Mountain West.

Davir Hamilton, a 3 star athlete out of California, shows offers from UCLA, WSU, CU, Illinois, and some MWC schools.

I suspect we won't keep these guys without a tussle, but nice gets anyway.

DrumNFeather
06-27-2015, 08:52 PM
Picked up a commitment from DT Brian Fangupo, a JC kid. 6'1 290, does not have a rivals star rating right now. Committed to Hawaii out of HS: http://www.sltrib.com/blogs/uofusports/2672439-155/utes-pick-up-commitment-from-62

DrumNFeather
06-29-2015, 06:22 PM
Jay Griffin IV, WR from Texas commits. He currently has one other offer, UCF.

sancho
06-29-2015, 08:51 PM
Jay Griffin IV, WR from Texas commits. He currently has one other offer, UCF.

Yes. Stockpile WRs. The more the merrier.

sancho
07-06-2015, 08:01 PM
New guy. Bout time we added a TE.

http://sports.yahoo.com/florida/football/recruiting/player-Cole-Fotheringham-167944

jrj84105
07-07-2015, 05:02 AM
New guy. Bout time we added a TE.

http://sports.yahoo.com/florida/football/recruiting/player-Cole-Fotheringham-167944

Yes! All my hesitations about ARod would be erased if we trotted out a two tight end set in a non goal line situation this year. We have so many decent TEs in our natural recruiting pool and almost exclusively play undersized defenses in conference- it's a natural mismatch. I'm not talking about a Stanfordesque pro style two TE set, but more like how Chip Kelly has incorporated multiple TE sets in spread concepts with the Eagles.

DrumNFeather
07-11-2015, 02:18 PM
Devontae Henry-Cole, RB out of Florida. His teammates are Crisrow and Hart. Had offers from a lot of schools out east. Listed on rivals as a 2 star probably due to size. He's 5'7.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

DrumNFeather
07-20-2015, 10:43 AM
Julian Blackmon, 6'1 WR/CB out of Layton commits to the Utes: http://sports.yahoo.com/utah/football/recruiting/player-Julian-Blackmon-181014

Sounds like they've offered him as a corner.

Had offers from Idaho, Weber, and SUU, with interest from BYU, UCLA, USU, and Missouri (how much? I have no idea...I just read the profiles folks).

LA Ute
07-20-2015, 11:41 AM
Julian Blackmon, 6'1 WR/CB out of Layton commits to the Utes: http://sports.yahoo.com/utah/football/recruiting/player-Julian-Blackmon-181014

Had offers from Idaho, Weber, and SUU, with interest from BYU, UCLA, USU, and Missouri (how much? I have no idea...I just read the profiles folks).

FWIW the posters at UteZone are pretty excited about him.

Hot Lunch
07-20-2015, 02:13 PM

I haven't seen him play football but I have seen him on the hardwood a couple of times. Great athlete, I thought he was also good enough to play in some lower level basketball conferences like the Big Sky or the WCC.

DrumNFeather
07-28-2015, 12:53 PM
Utes pick up a commitment from Rivals 4 Star Handsome Tanielu, DT from Snow College: http://sports.yahoo.com/utah/football/recruiting/player-Handsome-Tanielu-173701

Had a ton of offers from P5 schools. Seems like a real nice get. Also, jumps right to the front of the line for best name on the team. Sorry Joseph Smith, you're out.

Dwight Schr-Ute
07-28-2015, 09:21 PM
Garett Bolles puts Utah in his top 7.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/28/f0f84fe3cf7af9a89f11a7aabc013ab2.jpg

Rocker Ute
07-29-2015, 08:25 AM
Handsome, Boobie, Bubba, Star, Shaky, Jiggy, Ticky, Poeltl... We've had a lot of great names come through athletics over the years.

Dwight Schr-Ute
07-29-2015, 08:53 AM
Handsome, Boobie, Bubba, Star, Shaky, Jiggy, Ticky, Poeltl... We've had a lot of great names come through athletics over the years.

Missed Tarzan by "that" much...

DrumNFeather
08-02-2015, 10:56 AM
3 star Florida WR Demari Simpkins.

More possible today...

DrumNFeather
08-02-2015, 11:37 AM
His teammate, QB Tyler Huntley committed as well.

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-02-2015, 01:22 PM
3 star Florida WR Demari Simpkins.

More possible today...

Are we sure he committed to us?

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/02/fe712ea7301498e663c1fae9886f4877.jpg

sancho
08-02-2015, 06:57 PM
His teammate, QB Tyler Huntley committed as well.

I'm excited about this pair. Two positions that we always need.

Someone want to do a power ranking of top five whittingham hires? Where is Erickson?

DrumNFeather
08-02-2015, 08:44 PM

Someone want to do a power ranking of top five whittingham hires? Where is Erickson?

1. Erickson

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-03-2015, 12:06 AM
1. Erickson

2. Cronies.

fify

mpfunk
08-03-2015, 01:11 PM

I really want to be excited about Tyler Huntley, but his underwhelming list of offers and the history of recruiting the QB under Kyle Whittingham and I can't get excited.

The only possible way that I'm excited is that Erickson recruited him over the strenuous objections of Kyle Whittingham and ARod.

Hot Lunch
08-04-2015, 10:43 PM
I really want to be excited about Tyler Huntley, but his underwhelming list of offers and the history of recruiting the QB under Kyle Whittingham and I can't get excited.

The only possible way that I'm excited is that Erickson recruited him over the strenuous objections of Kyle Whittingham and ARod.

I thought that he had a handful of good offers. I liked his tape.

Diehard Ute
08-05-2015, 11:24 AM
Wrong spot

DrumNFeather
08-08-2015, 07:58 PM
Wr Alec Dana. JC kid who is a December graduate I believe.

sancho
08-08-2015, 08:27 PM

Is it against the rules to have some smart MUSS kid do an exchange semester to shadow a juco and make sure he qualifies?

LA Ute
08-08-2015, 10:58 PM

Reportedly a 4-star kid coming out of high school. Ran a 10.83 100 in high school even though he didn't train for track, just showed up and ran. 6'3" tall. Sounds good.

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-08-2015, 11:43 PM
Reportedly a 4-star kid coming out of high school. Ran a 10.83 100 in high school even though he didn't train for track, just showed up and ran. 6'3" tall. Sounds good.

Too good.

DrumNFeather
08-09-2015, 02:52 AM
Too good.
The ghost of Aiona Key still haunts this program.

U-Ute
08-09-2015, 12:25 PM

What was the name of the tight end that was almost as dominant as Chuck Norris who never made the field?

LA Ute
08-09-2015, 12:30 PM
What was the name of the tight end that was almost as dominant as Chuck Norris who never made the field?

Dudley LaPorte. One of the greatest college football player names ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LA Ute
08-09-2015, 12:33 PM
Too good.

LOL. RDUFS: Repeatedly Disappointed Ute Fan Syndrome. We all suffer from it to some extent.

Mormon Red Death
08-09-2015, 06:14 PM

Hey Aiona key blocked like 3 punts. He was worth it for hours special teams play

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-09-2015, 07:05 PM
He also blocked a bunch of passes. 😢

UtahsMrSports
08-10-2015, 11:58 AM
New guy: DT Lorenzo Neal from Houston. Beat BSU, OSU (beavers, not bucks), and Purdue. 2 star by Yahoo:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Lorenzo-Neal-161449

Wonder if he is related to the former NFL fullback of the same name.

SoCalPat
08-10-2015, 12:12 PM
Hey Aiona key blocked like 3 punts. He was worth it for hours special teams play

I will forever remain convinced that Key was in that TCU kicker's head in the 2008 game. First one missed left, second one wide right. And Key blocked a FG vs. UNM the week before. TCU makes one of two FGs if Key isn't in the game.

LA Ute
08-11-2015, 09:30 PM
Is this for real? It's Bleacher Report but seems legit:

4-Star Melquise Stovall Opens Up on USC Decommitment, What's Next
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2543296-4-star-melquise-stovall-opens-up-on-usc-decommitment-whats-next

Stovall said he's open to hearing from all schools, but schools like Notre Dame, Utah, Washington State and Washington are among those that could be in the running thus far. Stovall added that Utah and Notre Dame are two schools that will receive official visits. Actual dates have yet to be determined.

"I watched [Utah's] game against USC, and I liked the way they moved the ball everywhere," Stovall said of the Utes. "The quarterback runs the ball, the running backs catch…everybody gets the ball. I like that they want to use me as a running back and a slot. Plus, I've got a great relationship with the coaches.

Notre Dame is in the mix too, so maybe we shouldn't get too excited about this one.

DrumNFeather
08-11-2015, 09:46 PM

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2543296-4-star-melquise-stovall-opens-up-on-usc-decommitment-whats-next

Notre Dame is in the mix too, so maybe we shouldn't get too excited about this one.

Get on the horn with this kid, Dennis.

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-11-2015, 10:48 PM

LOL. Of course it's not real.

"I watched [Utah's] game against USC, and I liked the way they moved the ball everywhere," Stovall said of the Utes. "The quarterback runs the ball, the running backs catch…everybody gets the ball. I like that they want to use me as a running back and a slot. Plus, I've got a great relationship with the coaches.

DrumNFeather
08-20-2015, 06:34 AM
3 Start Washington OL Scott Peck Commits. He his other P5 offer is Washington St.

Diehard Ute
08-20-2015, 08:37 AM
3 Start Washington OL Scott Peck Commits. He his other P5 offer is Washington St.

6'7" 285 ish. Like the length we're getting

U-Ute
08-20-2015, 11:20 AM
6'7" 285 ish. Like the length we're getting

Me too. Real tackles instead of guards who can move their feet slightly better.

Damage U
08-29-2015, 07:59 AM
Here's an article about St. Thomas Aquinas' (home of Florida RB commit Devonta'e Henry-Cole) 35-3 rout of powerhouse Booker T. Washington. Booker T. had a 41 game win streak going till last night. Henry-Cole had 118 yds. on 25 carries and 1 TD.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/high-school/article32714874.html

Damage U
08-29-2015, 10:26 AM
Me too. It keeps me distracted in the off season.
It's amazing how loaded some of these high schools are. St.Thomas is full of D1 talent kids including tOSU's DE commit Nick Bosa, Scouts #2 ranked player.

LA Ute
08-30-2015, 04:03 PM
Who likes tall CBs?

http://www.sltrib.com/blogs/uofusports/2892707-155/utah-football-florida-db-ohaji-hawkins?fullpage=1

Well, we beat out Army, Buffalo, Florida Atlantic, Tennessee State and Western Kentucky. Probably another diamond in the rough.

DrumNFeather
08-30-2015, 05:30 PM
Well, we beat out Army, Buffalo, Florida Atlantic, Tennessee State and Western Kentucky. Probably another diamond in the rough.
The most important part of this commitment that I read was an acknowledgment by recruits (talking to each other) that Utah is a viable option. I love the work we're doing there right now.

DrumNFeather
09-19-2015, 02:17 PM
Leki Fotu, DE out of Herriman.

U-Ute
09-19-2015, 05:35 PM
Leki Fotu, DE out of Herriman.

I heard his name over the loudspeakers last weekend and wondered: is he related to Nai?

LA Ute
09-19-2015, 05:52 PM
I heard his name over the loudspeakers last weekend and wondered: is he related to Nai?

I'll bet he is. Every Poly football player I've met has a zillion cousins all over the place.

justaute
09-23-2015, 04:57 PM
Not sure if this has been posted.

Here is a DN article about recruiting and Ty Jones, a 6'3", 3* WR, Utah commit. The salient point is that Jones is keeping his options open and is now "seriously" considering TDS; UW, WSU, and Beavers are also recruiting him. Two reasons Jones listed for considering TDS are (1) his conversation with Torre, a TDS QB commit from Bingham and (2) his game-day experience at a TDS game.

Have no idea what's going to happen, nor do I care that much about it. That said, if I were a "good" 6'3" WR prospect, Utah's offense certainly would not exactly excite me. Whit et al have some work to do, I think.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865637413/Red-and-blue-recruits-Utah-BYU-rivalry-takes-center-stage-in-Provo-receiver-Ty-Jones-saga.html

LA Ute
09-23-2015, 05:16 PM
Not sure if this has been posted.

Here is a DN article about recruiting and Ty Jones, a 6'3", 3* WR, Utah commit. The salient point is that Jones is keeping his options open and is now "seriously" considering TDS; UW, WSU, and Beavers are also recruiting him. Two reasons Jones listed for considering TDS are (1) his conversation with Torre, a TDS QB commit from Bingham and (2) his game-day experience at a TDS game.

Have no idea what's going to happen, nor do I care that much about it. That said, if I were a "good" 6'3" WR prospect, Utah's offense certainly would not exactly excite me. Whit et al have some work to do, I think.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865637413/Red-and-blue-recruits-Utah-BYU-rivalry-takes-center-stage-in-Provo-receiver-Ty-Jones-saga.html

I'm not one to go out on the ledge over losing recruits (and I know you are not either) but I am worried that our program must look unattractive to good WR prospects. Assuming Whit can ever get religion about "the throw game" (a big assumption, at this stage of his career) it would still take several years of demonstrated Utah success in that part of the game to change the public perception.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-23-2015, 05:28 PM
I'm not one to go out on the ledge over losing recruits (and I know you are not either) but I am worried that our program must look unattractive to good WR prospects. Assuming Whit can ever get religion about "the throw game" (a big assumption, at this stage of his career) it would still take several years of demonstrated Utah success in that part of the game to change the public perception.

There was a good discussion on UteNation a week or so ago about BYU's recruiting this year and as of now, on paper, they seem to have the edge on us this year. Especially with in-state recruits. I know that they tend to get their commits earlier than we do, but they do seem to have some momentum. How they've accomplished this after several non-inspiring seasons in a row? I'm not sure. Ty Jones' twitter page is BYU retweet after retweet. Sure, wide receivers might be a tough sell for Utah, but BYU is also getting commits from guys like Max Tooley and Keenan Pili, who would have been solids gets for Utah. Now, since I know the Pili family, there was very little chance of Utah getting him away from BYU, but it seems like Utah is struggling with in-state kids, despite supposedly holding the best cards: conference, better schedule, especially home schedule, brand new facility...

justaute
09-23-2015, 06:02 PM
Good comments, guys.

I like to think that I maintain pretty objective views in life. Clearly, with regard to LDS kids, BYU has certain edge -- not always, but it is there. In addition, I believe BYU's offensive philosophy, coupled with its QB legacy (real/perceived/whatever) also provide certain attraction. Now, if BYU can achieve/maintain a top-25 status, that's even more ammunition.

Sure, Utah is in P12, which obviously comes with certain prestige -- though, ask WSU how that's working, in aggregate. Is that prestige somewhat lessened by Utah's inconsistency on the offensive side of things? Whit's recent carousel of OCs certainly didn't help. My point is that there are a myriad of factors to consider, notwithstanding Utah's P12 affiliation.

As a former collegiate athlete in another era, today's young prospects have so much more information. Having recently coached a bunch of division-1 level high school players, albeit a minor sport of women's volleyball (300+ D1 programs), I know first-hand some of the things those players consider.

Just vomiting some thoughts. :)

DrumNFeather
09-24-2015, 09:03 AM

It's hard to get too caught up in a 2017 kid. I mean, you could argue that it is silly to be excited about a commitment that is well over a year away from coming to fruition. It seems to me that we're not having trouble with WR prospects outside of the state. We typically seem to be in the mix for JC guys etc. With the in-state guys the hill is a little tougher to climb, but I think the coaches will figure that one out too.

concerned
09-24-2015, 09:31 AM
If a 2017 kid chooses the Y to play with Tanner Mangum he could be in for a rude surprise. If Mangum is NFL quality, he could/should bolt after next year.

U-Ute
09-24-2015, 10:41 AM
If a 2017 kid chooses the Y to play with Tanner Mangum he could be in for a rude surprise. If Mangum is NFL quality, he could/should bolt after next year.

You're right. From the NFL's perspective, he isn't getting any younger. I hadn't considered that.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-24-2015, 10:42 AM

Next Heisman guy up.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-25-2015, 10:42 AM
Word on the Twitter street is that Handsome Tanielu is taking a look at BYU. How does a talented Snow College DT, who's been Tweeting Star highlights get so confused? I mean, he's not dumb enough to fall for jokes like this, is he?
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/25/1c7c75777f0be6d639ab17cf6c5f0cc1.jpg

UtahsMrSports
09-25-2015, 11:02 AM
I took a peak at this kid's twitter page. lol. just before this article, he was telling people to calm down because he was solid to the Utes (kind of like how Harvey Langi was excited to come back and become a defensive end for Utah........three months before he transferred.)

I chalk this up to a kid who is getting a ton of attention at a stage where his brain is not developed enough to handle it properly (ie, he is a kid being a kid and doing what the overwhelming majority of people in his shoes would do).

I generally get upset when we lose commits, but then I also tend to forget their names and focus on those who actually show up and want to be here.

DrumNFeather
09-25-2015, 11:08 AM
I took a peak at this kid's twitter page. lol. just before this article, he was telling people to calm down because he was solid to the Utes (kind of like how Harvey Langi was excited to come back and become a defensive end for Utah........three months before he transferred.)

I chalk this up to a kid who is getting a ton of attention at a stage where his brain is not developed enough to handle it properly (ie, he is a kid being a kid and doing what the overwhelming majority of people in his shoes would do).

I generally get upset when we lose commits, but then I also tend to forget their names and focus on those who actually show up and want to be here.

I'm in the same boat. I certainly get annoyed when we lose guys, and I try to follow recruiting pretty closely, but then I see guys like #90 who scored the TD on Saturday night and I could not tell you if he was a 1 star or 5 star and if we had to beat out Snow or Florida St. for him. I am confident though, especially on the defensive side of the ball, that once they get to Utah the coaches will get there absolute best out of them.

U-Ute
09-25-2015, 01:27 PM
Word on the Twitter street is that Handsome Tanielu is taking a look at BYU. How does a talented Snow College DT, who's been Tweeting Star highlights get so confused? I mean, he's not dumb enough to fall for jokes like this, is he?

Playing time?

Damage U
09-25-2015, 09:30 PM
Verbal commit Tyler Huntley puts up 447 yards passing. #passinggame
Hope he stays with Utah.

Hallandale QB Tyler Huntley 447 yards passing nationally rated St Thomas. @SFHSSports

DrumNFeather
10-01-2015, 09:18 AM
I read on the Twitter that a couple of Florida recruits will be out for the ASU game on 10/17. One is Armunz Mathews, currently committed to USF, but shows a ton of offers. The other is Hussein Howe, a RB who shows offers from Miss St. and Wisconsin among others. Would be a nice time for a blowout.

Diehard Ute
10-01-2015, 10:52 AM
This is the kind of stuff that has to help with recruits....especially Florida ones

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/01/f48c8abb83949da14debdafc05843a40.jpg

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-01-2015, 03:16 PM
Coaches doing work.

Applejack
10-01-2015, 03:25 PM
Coaches doing work.

Have we received a commitment from Vegas lately? Seems those dry heat kids never make it to the mountains.

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-01-2015, 05:39 PM
Have we received a commitment from Vegas lately? Seems those dry heat kids never make it to the mountains.

We've got three on the team. Bubba Poole, Marcus Sanders-Williams, and a Freshman OL named Daniel Heller, who apparently went to high school a mile away from me. :emb:

We also have a kid from the lovely North Las Vegas, a Freshman DB named Casey Hughes.

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-01-2015, 05:40 PM
And just like that, Fred Whittingham has turned on the bat signal. Either he, too, is excited about the basketball facility or we should hear about a new commit in the near future.

EDIT: Kyle Goon ‏@kylegoon (https://twitter.com/kylegoon) 6m (https://twitter.com/kylegoon/status/649729442768551936)6 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/kylegoon/status/649729442768551936)
WR RJ Hubert from Moapa Valley (Nev.) and LB Alema Pilimai from Tustin (Calif.) are the new Utah football commits.

Diehard Ute
10-01-2015, 09:59 PM
And just like that, Fred Whittingham has turned on the bat signal. Either he, too, is excited about the basketball facility or we should hear about a new commit in the near future.

EDIT: Kyle Goon ‏@kylegoon (https://twitter.com/kylegoon) 6m (https://twitter.com/kylegoon/status/649729442768551936)6 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/kylegoon/status/649729442768551936)
WR RJ Hubert from Moapa Valley (Nev.) and LB Alema Pilimai from Tustin (Calif.) are the new Utah football commits.

Hubert may be projecting as a safety. 5'11" 178.

Pilimai plays QB and LB, 6'4" 194 right now.

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-01-2015, 10:33 PM

Hubert is from a tiny high school about an hour north of Vegas. Crazy that they produced a D1 athlete. I've worked with several kids from that high school on environmental projects, but something tells me that he wasn't in FFA.

The kid has jumps. Cleared 6'7 in high jump and 23'4 in long jump.

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-01-2015, 10:34 PM

Both expected to be sign and sends.

Damage U
10-02-2015, 11:04 PM
Let this sink in. QB verbal commit Tyler Huntley has over a thousand yards in just 2 games.
Check out @larryblustein's Tweet: https://twitter.com/larryblustein/status/650134291318501376?s=09

In Hallandale's 56-38 win over Jackson, Tyler Huntley was 25-44, 515 yds, 7 tds. Over 1,000 yards and 12 TDs in 2 games. @SFHSSports

Damage U
10-05-2015, 11:00 PM
Fred Whittingham has put up the bat signal.
Ute fans welcome Semisi Lauaki. He's a sign and send DL.
Check out @AMarkhamRivals's Tweet: https://twitter.com/AMarkhamRivals/status/651249080966909952?s=09

Damage U
10-05-2015, 11:23 PM
Sounds like a great kid with a lot of character.
http://www.foxsports.com/west/story/lauaki-boys-from-leuzinger-high-school-find-loving-guardians-in-russell-family-112014

Damage U
10-06-2015, 09:57 PM
Does anyone know how many spots the Utes have left? Seems like they are getting close to full but they also have a good handfull of sign and sends.

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-07-2015, 03:53 PM
Huge recruiting weekend for football and basketball. Feel free to share what you know.

Damage U
10-07-2015, 09:50 PM
For football we'll see-
Lamar Jackson 4* S
Isaac Garcia 3* TE
Eric Briscoe Jr. 3* S
Scott Peck 3* OT - has already committed.
There are a handfull of unofficial visit guys also, not sure who they are. Stovall 4* ATH/slot receiver will be here next week.

Basketball - looks like Hanno will be playing tour guide for the Finn Lauri Markkanen 5* PF. Hopefully Hanno is able to take him home committed to the Utes.
Jayce Johnson 4* C will also be here.

Brian
10-09-2015, 07:42 AM
Any flippable 4-5 star SC recruits out there?

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-13-2015, 12:32 PM
This is technically a '17 commit, but this Ty Jones tweet makes me laugh. So Ty Jones is the kid that is a Utah County wide receiver Utah commit that has been texting positive BYU stuff ever since he was blown away by the LES game experience he had at the BYU-BSU game. Is this Utah telling the kid, thanks but no thanks? http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/13/b263815d7b7450affbf83caec940165b.jpg

Damage U
10-14-2015, 03:20 PM
Some news from this morning, Kurtis Taufa OLB from Snow has recommitted to Utah. Originally committed to the U then committed to Kansas now back to Utah. Not sure why Kansas was even in the mix. Playing time maybe?

U-Ute
10-14-2015, 06:30 PM
Some news from this morning, Kurtis Taufa OLB from Snow has recommitted to Utah. Originally committed to the U then committed to Kansas now back to Utah. Not sure why Kansas was even in the mix. Playing time maybe?

Maybe making sure his mom could get tickets to games was a high priority for him.

Damage U
10-14-2015, 07:50 PM
:rofl:
So, I'm guessing Chris Hill has given his okie dokie on stadium expansion. Fill in the south end zone corners for moms!

UtahsMrSports
10-15-2015, 07:48 AM

This is great to hear! Playing time is there for the taking next year at linebacker with all of the big three graduating.

LA Ute
10-15-2015, 02:51 PM
Red and blue recruits: Wayne Kirby decommits from BYU, gets offer from Utah (http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865638995/Red-and-blue-recruits-Wayne-Kirby-decommits-from-BYU-gets-offer-from-Utah.html)
I just hope we can give this guy good seats to our games.

Diehard Ute
10-18-2015, 03:13 AM
Saw Langi Tuifua (Bingham, Oregon commit) and Sione Heimuli-Lund (Brighton, Stanford commit) and Jay Tufele (Bingham, Oregon) on the sidelines with Kahi Neves tonight.

Tucker Scott was also in town along with Cole Fotheringham

DrumNFeather
10-18-2015, 06:12 AM
Saw Langi Tuifua (Bingham, Oregon commit) and Sione Heimuli-Lund (Brighton, Stanford commit) and Jay Tufele (Bingham, Oregon) on the sidelines with Kahi Neves tonight.

Plus Stovall and some guys from Florida.

Jarid in Cedar
10-18-2015, 09:41 AM

Most importantly, Tucker and Cole were here on unofficials with Jack Sears, high priority 2017 QB target from San Clemente. I hope he enjoyed watching Travis's performance. San Clemente is becoming a very important school for us.

concerned
10-18-2015, 09:47 AM
No Ty Jones?

LA Ute
10-18-2015, 11:34 AM
No Ty Jones?

He was probably in the scholarship box.

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-18-2015, 01:13 PM
No Ty Jones?

Rumor is his mom is pissed that we'd made her sit in the rain at her second ever college game.

Diehard Ute
10-18-2015, 01:15 PM
No Ty Jones?

He watched on a black and white tv with no sound.

DrumNFeather
10-20-2015, 11:51 AM
Welp. Troy Williams just committed. The plot thickens.

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-20-2015, 12:18 PM
Apparently the kid was a Top 100 kid out of high school. His highlights didn't blow me away, but people seem excited about him, so until shown otherwise, I will be too!

LA Ute
10-20-2015, 12:25 PM
Apparently the kid was a Top 100 kid out of high school. His highlights didn't blow me away, but people seem excited about him, so until shown otherwise, I will be too!

Went to Washington but transferred when it became clear to him there wasn't a place for him in UW's offense. (Under Sark, I guess?) Anyway, hopes are up.

DrumNFeather
10-20-2015, 12:30 PM
QB competition for next year is on!

Yep. Spring ball will be interesting this year, especially if Huntley graduates early and is here as well. Williams, Hansen, Huntley, plus Cox & Manning if they stick around.

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-20-2015, 12:32 PM
Yep. Spring ball will be interesting this year, especially if Huntley graduates early and is here as well. Williams, Hansen, Huntley, plus Cox & Manning if they stick around.

Any idea if Williams would be here for Spring ball?

DrumNFeather
10-20-2015, 12:40 PM

That's a good question. My assumption was yes, but perhaps that hasn't been determined yet.

UBlender
10-20-2015, 01:05 PM

That is said to be the plan. Although we see it often with JC recruits where they go from being here in spring to being here in fall to never being here. (No reason to expect that in this case).

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-20-2015, 01:18 PM
That is said to be the plan. Although we see it often with JC recruits where they go from being here in spring to being here in fall to never being here. (No reason to expect that in this case).

Fair stereotype or not, QBs worry me less than some of the other positions when it comes to grade management. Especially when they're not in JC BECAUSE of grades.

Scratch
10-20-2015, 03:18 PM
Went to Washington but transferred when it became clear to him there wasn't a place for him in UW's offense. (Under Sark, I guess?) Anyway, hopes are up.

Under Peterson. He transferred largely because he didn't fit with Peterson's offense.

He's planning on being here for spring.

LA Ute
10-20-2015, 04:04 PM
Under Peterson. He transferred largely because he didn't fit with Peterson's offense.

Ah. That makes sense. Well, we deserve a 4-star QB at Utah, doggonit! (Wasn't Travis a 3-star?)

Diehard Ute
10-20-2015, 04:37 PM
In the updated Trib article they talked to Williams who said he expects to have to come in and work. Also said he sees himself as more of a pocket passer

Also said he knows several Utes including Domo who had "nothing but great things to say about Utah"

NorthwestUteFan
10-20-2015, 05:22 PM
Also he is Steve Smith's cousin.

I would love to have a 'pocket passer' who can run past a radar gun at 24 MPH. Troy is the kid in that segment of the Adidas commercial.

LA Ute
10-20-2015, 07:01 PM
Former Huskies QB Troy Williams commits to Utah (http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-football/former-huskies-qb-troy-williams-commits-to-utah/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=article_left)

I didn't realize that he left them just last January.

He's in this commercial -- the shirtless guy in shorts at the beginning who runs past the radar sign at 24 mph:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QypkBliIEe4

U-Ute
10-21-2015, 02:19 PM

I dunno. I don't think I've ever seen a kid not get the job somewhere else then transfer somewhere to compete in the league like the PAC12. If he could play, he'd be at the original school.

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-22-2015, 10:03 AM
Lorenzo Neal decommits. With our success this season and several big recruits considering us, I expected decommits, but a bit surprised to see Lorenzo being one of the early ones. I hope we get the upgrade.

crazyute
11-21-2015, 11:09 PM
I dunno. I don't think I've ever seen a kid not get the job somewhere else then transfer somewhere to compete in the league like the PAC12. If he could play, he'd be at the original school.
Cam Newton- started at Florida went to blinn juco then auburn
russell Wilson started at NC State. They wanted glennon instead. Transferred to wisconsin
baker mayfield at Oklahoma. Started at Texas tech

U-Ute
11-22-2015, 08:33 PM
Cam Newton- started at Florida went to blinn juco then auburn
russell Wilson started at NC State. They wanted glennon instead. Transferred to wisconsin
baker mayfield at Oklahoma. Started at Texas tech

That's my point: These guys were starters then transferred for various reasons. They weren't backups who thought they were better than they were.

Mormon Red Death
11-22-2015, 09:04 PM
That's my point: These guys were starters then transferred for various reasons. They weren't backups who thought they were better than they were.
Jake Rudock transferred from Iowa to Michigan. He was a backup who thought he was better.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

concerned
11-22-2015, 09:42 PM
Jake Rudock transferred from Iowa to Michigan. He was a backup who thought he was better.

Rudock was a two year starter at Iowa.

NorthwestUteFan
11-22-2015, 11:57 PM
Well, he's our guy, so we might as well believe in him. Troy is going to bring offense to sack lake city.

Troy is a very good athlete who is a horrible fit for Chris Petersen's system. He will excel at Utah.

U-Ute
11-23-2015, 09:04 AM
Troy is a very good athlete who is a horrible fit for Chris Petersen's system. He will excel at Utah.

I hope he is the exception rather than the rule. I am just setting my expectations based on past performance of transfers.

UtahsMrSports
11-23-2015, 09:13 AM

I think he means "start" in the sense that he began his career there, at least in the case of Newton.

NorthwestUteFan
11-23-2015, 09:51 AM
I hope he is the exception rather than the rule. I am just setting my expectations based on past performance of transfers.

Oh please. TW is a Sark guy who suited up at UW for one semester, then realized ChrisPete doesn't want a Spread Option type of qb. CP wants a pocket guy who can occasionally run. The kid he has now is perfect, because he passed for about 25 billion yards and thousands of TDs in high school.

If TW spent a few years under the same coach, and then trasnferred to a JC, then your concerns would be more valid.

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-23-2015, 06:23 PM
Florida RB Zach Moss commits to Utah. Hat trick.

https://twitter.com/D1_Zeezy/status/668962348519055367 (https://twitter.com/Corey_Bender/status/668961480243589120)

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-23-2015, 06:46 PM
Have we ever taken three teammates in the same class? Seems unusual. Fortunately, Erickson has earned my confidence.

Diehard Ute
11-23-2015, 08:01 PM
Apparently the trio is also working to get 4 star receiver (Florida commit) Josh Hammond to flip as well

DrumNFeather
11-23-2015, 09:43 PM
Great pickup. This class should bring in a nice influx of talent to Salt Lake.

Damage U
11-27-2015, 02:34 PM
I hope all our QBs from now on are TWs. It should be our thing. Maybe Huntley would be willing to change his name.

So long double zz's, hello TW's

Damage U
11-27-2015, 02:38 PM
Have we ever taken three teammates in the same class? Seems unusual. Fortunately, Erickson has earned my confidence.

The bad thing with these kinds of deals is that if you piss one off, you piss them all off.
Kind of like when Isom left, Tarzan was soon to follow.

Diehard Ute
11-27-2015, 05:13 PM
The bad thing with these kinds of deals is that if you piss one off, you piss them all off.
Kind of like when Isom left, Tarzan was soon to follow.

I don't think Tarzan was ever sold on playing here, and I'm not sure he realized how much work he'd have to put in.

DrumNFeather
12-03-2015, 09:30 PM
Someone tweeted Zach Moss after the Richt news broke..."I wonder if Moss regrets his decision"

His response: "Hell no"

I like him already.

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-04-2015, 12:55 AM
Followed later by, "Miami fans are the most annoying people on Twitter."

U-Ute
12-04-2015, 05:05 PM
Followed later by, "Miami fans are the most annoying people on Twitter."

He obviously hasn't had much interaction with BYU fans yet.

DrumNFeather
12-05-2015, 04:54 AM
Johnny Maea, OL from East committed. Sign and send kid.

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-05-2015, 11:58 PM
Johnny Maea, OL from East committed. Sign and send kid.

People seem to be really excited about this kid. Solid addition to the O-block.

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-09-2015, 09:35 AM
Interesting analysis by ESPN ranking all 65 P5 schools in how easy it is to recruit. Utah comes in at 44. 8th in the Pac-12. They have us above Arizona, but I'm not sure if I buy it.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/14312923/college-football-easiest-toughest-recruiting-jobs-1-65

LA Ute
12-09-2015, 03:03 PM
Interesting analysis by ESPN ranking all 65 P5 schools in how easy it is to recruit. Utah comes in at 44. 8th in the Pac-12. They have us above Arizona, but I'm not sure if I buy it.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/14312923/college-football-easiest-toughest-recruiting-jobs-1-65

Ever been to Tucson?

U-Ute
12-09-2015, 03:08 PM

Lincoln Kennedy has pointed out how the Arizona schools seem to have a difficult time keeping talent at home. He used Brett Hundley specifically as an example. There must be something to it.

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-12-2015, 10:47 PM
Well, this was unexpected.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/12/cc50b94528b1562b95193300d7994330.jpg

Has his stock gone up or does he have a better shot at QB with RichRod? I never considered him to be that exciting of a commitment but I didn't think anyone else was after him.

EDIT: after doing a little more digging on Twitter, this kid seems to have not made a lot of friends in school. Came across the word "cancer" several times. Thanks RichRod!

Diehard Ute
12-13-2015, 12:13 AM
Well, since we have no lbrs next year, I'd have been happy to take a chance on him.

The AZ recruiting guy claims he wasn't recruited as a LB at Utah and that's what he wants to play.

Who knows if that's true. His history of 4 different HS in 4 years makes you wonder what's up.

Diehard Ute
12-13-2015, 12:28 AM
Make that 6 HS's in 4 years in 4 states.

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-14-2015, 02:10 PM
Garett Bolles' new wife posted a picture of them from their honeymoon. I approve of his shirt selection. Maybe we're still in the running.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/14/c78a9085a051e28a5e42d47b14353c77.jpg

concerned
12-14-2015, 08:31 PM
I haven't been paying attention but Oregon state apparently is putting together a great class. Currently ranked 30th by rivals.

UtahsMrSports
12-15-2015, 02:18 PM
I read that taneilu is going to announce tomorrow..........any thoughts on where he will end up?

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-16-2015, 10:01 AM
I read that taneilu is going to announce tomorrow..........any thoughts on where he will end up?

Any Scout subscribers here? http://www.scout.com/college/utah/forums/4394-premium-utes-forum/14394479-breaking-news/178643426?s=365

LA Ute
12-16-2015, 12:28 PM
He tweeted last night:

Handsome Tanielu @handsometanielu (https://twitter.com/handsometanielu)

National letter of Intent Signing Day is tomorrow! #BYU (https://twitter.com/hashtag/BYU?src=hash) #OregonState (https://twitter.com/hashtag/OregonState?src=hash) #Utah (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Utah?src=hash) #BoiseState (https://twitter.com/hashtag/BoiseState?src=hash)
9:37 AM - 15 Dec 2015 (https://twitter.com/handsometanielu/status/676818272877043712) · San Diego, CA, United States (https://twitter.com/search?q=place%3Aa592bd6ceb1319f7)

Mormon Red Death
12-18-2015, 11:20 AM
So who did he sign with?

LA Ute
12-18-2015, 11:56 AM
Don't know. Haven't seen anything about him in a day or so.

DrumNFeather
12-18-2015, 12:18 PM
Don't know. Haven't seen anything about him in a day or so.

He's probably waiting for an official word on Sitake. He also picked up an offer from Texas.

concerned
12-18-2015, 12:35 PM
He's probably waiting for an official word on Sitake. He also picked up an offer from Texas.

He tweeted the other night that he wasn't ready to make a decision. Most likely you are right--he will go where Sitake ends up.

DrumNFeather
12-21-2015, 09:47 AM
Stovall is announcing today sometime. That would be a significant get for the Utes.

UtahsMrSports
12-21-2015, 09:51 AM
Stovall is announcing today sometime. That would be a significant get for the Utes.

I heard that two guys are announcing today, and that we have a decent shot with both. One was a running back, the other a juco strong safety. Is this Stovall one of these?

UtahsMrSports
12-21-2015, 10:03 AM
http://www.scout.com/player/186284-melquise-stovall/recruiting?year=2015

I think he's the slot WR who will replace Covey for two years. We really need WRs!

Quite a list of offers! Markell Simmons was the other guy. People seem to think Stovall is a Ute lean.

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-21-2015, 10:09 AM
Quite a list of offers! Markell Simmons was the other guy. People seem to think Stovall is a Ute lean.

Davir Hamilton has been pressing Stovall on Twitter for several weeks. Stovall has seemed pretty warm to the attention.

UtahsMrSports
12-21-2015, 10:20 AM
Davir Hamilton has been pressing Stovall on Twitter for several weeks. Stovall has seemed pretty warm to the attention.

Davir Hamilton may be my favorite committ ever.

DrumNFeather
12-21-2015, 10:24 AM
Davir Hamilton may be my favorite committ ever.

He's taken what Lucky Radley did a few years ago to a whole new level. Let's hope it's good news today.

UtahsMrSports
12-21-2015, 10:27 AM
He's taken what Lucky Radley did a few years ago to a whole new level. Let's hope it's good news today.

When it was 35-0, he was telling all BYU commits to DM him so he could talk about Utah.......hahahaha!

DrumNFeather
12-21-2015, 10:32 AM
When it was 35-0, he was telling all BYU commits to DM him so he could talk about Utah.......hahahaha!

That's hilarious. Anyone know what time these guys are supposed to announce?

U-Ute
12-21-2015, 10:37 AM

I think I'm going to like this kid. LOL

DrumNFeather
12-21-2015, 12:34 PM

Annnnnnnnnnd he committed to Cal.

SoCalPat
12-21-2015, 05:56 PM

Stovall went to the same HS as Curtis Brown. This news doesn't surprise me in the least.

SeattleUte
12-22-2015, 09:21 AM

We will never beat Cal head to head for a recruit. EVER! Even if Urban comes back. Stop wasting your times on these fruitless, quixotic pursuits.

LA Ute
12-22-2015, 10:00 AM
We will never beat Cal head to head for a recruit. EVER! Even if Urban comes back. Stop wasting your times on these fruitless, quixotic pursuits.

It does look like we should concentrate on getting the 3-star recruits. That's where our bread and butter are. Now and then we'll get a 4-star, usually a Utah or legacy kid. On Utezone the talk was that we had a 70% chance of getting Stovall. I never believed it. Cal will always be able to say a degree from Berkeley will be more valuable to a recruit than a degree from Utah (sorry, Sancho, they say that and kids justifiably believe it). Add to that the negative recruiting about how A-A kids fit into the Utah culture (mostly unfair) and the narrative about the Utah offense (mostly fair) and it's tough for us to beat the California PAC-12 schools head to head. We'll do well with their transfers (Kylie Fitts, Kaelin Clay).

concerned
12-22-2015, 10:08 AM
Depending on how you define value, it might actually be true. But I don't think most of our recruits care. I doubt that is what cost us this guy. He just wants to be part of Air Raid numbers.

He probably watched the game Saturday and said "yikes; I dont want to be part of that offense."

DrumNFeather
12-22-2015, 10:40 AM
Depending on how you define value, it might actually be true. But I don't think most of our recruits care. I doubt that is what cost us this guy. He just wants to be part of Air Raid numbers.

The thing that surprises me about losing a recruit to Cal is the coaching situation. Sonny Dykes practically begged for a job (was linked to Missouri, South Carolina) and in the end "came back" but I mean, it's hard to imagine you've got a guy there that won't leave for the first offer he gets somewhere out east. Maybe that doesn't matter as much anymore.

concerned
12-22-2015, 10:58 AM
The coach probably matters too much to some recruits. Look at Noah. Followed Kalani, and now he's stuck in Corvallis with Gary.

Same with Christian Falau. I'll bet he flips to the Y when he returns.

DrumNFeather
12-22-2015, 10:59 AM
The coach probably matters too much to some recruits. Look at Noah. Followed Kalani, and now he's stuck in Corvallis with Gary.

Maybe Kyle should send him a note..."SUCKER!"

SeattleUte
12-22-2015, 11:07 AM
It does look like we should concentrate on getting the 3-star recruits. That's where our bread and butter are. Now and then we'll get a 4-star, usually a Utah or legacy kid. On Utezone the talk was that we had a 70% chance of getting Stovall. I never believed it. Cal will always be able to say a degree from Berkeley will be more valuable to a recruit than a degree from Utah (sorry, Sancho, they say that and kids justifiably believe it). Add to that the negative recruiting about how A-A kids fit into the Utah culture (mostly unfair) and the narrative about the Utah offense (mostly fair) and it's tough for us to beat the California PAC-12 schools head to head. We'll do well with their transfers (Kylie Fitts, Kaelin Clay).

It's not the degree so much as the disparity in glitz and the fact that a Cal kid will want to play at home at a marquis school. Also, there's a vague negative perception that hangs over anything Utah, thanks to the LDS Church. Finally, Cal has a longer history as a big time program. I think Whit recruits as well as humanly possible at Utah.

LA Ute
12-22-2015, 11:23 AM
It's not the degree so much as the disparity in glitz and the fact that a Cal kid will want to play at home at a marquis school. Also, there's a vague negative perception that hangs over anything Utah, thanks to the LDS Church. Finally, Cal has a longer history as a big time program. I think Whit recruits as well as humanly possible at Utah.

You're right. I'll just add that when talking about the Beehive State, the old saw that "you can't pick up one end of the stick without picking up the other" applies. Utah would not exist in its current form -- with both its good and bad characteristics -- without the LDS Church, whose leaders founded the U. of U. when they were still eating sego lily roots to survive. It's just woven into the fabric of the state.

chrisrenrut
12-22-2015, 11:29 AM
Maybe Kyle should send him a note..."SUCKER!"

Wouldn't it be Larry K sending that note?

concerned
12-22-2015, 11:30 AM
You're right. I'll just add that when talking about the Beehive State, the old saw that "you can't pick up one end of the stick without picking up the other" applies. Utah would not exist in its current form -- with both its good and bad characteristics -- without the LDS Church, whose leaders founded the U. of U. when they were still eating sego lily roots to survive. It's just woven into the fabric of the state.

This is for LA Ute, given his signature. I know it is the wrong category, but this is the most accessible post to reply to.

http://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2015/04/07/no-slouch/

LA Ute
12-22-2015, 11:51 AM
This is for LA Ute, given his signature. I know it is the wrong category, but this is the most accessible post to reply to.

http://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2015/04/07/no-slouch/

Thanks. As I read the article I wondered if I should feel bad for joining the throngs who have quoted the poem for various reasons. But I liked this:

But the first stanza captures more than just political unrest and violence. Its anxiety concerns the social ills of modernity: the rupture of traditional family and societal structures; the loss of collective religious faith, and with it, the collective sense of purpose; the feeling that the old rules no longer apply and there’s nothing to replace them. It’s the same form of despair we see in, say, Ivan Karamazov....

But why not celebrate the trend instead? Yeats’s lines work outside their context because the word pairings are brilliant in and of themselves. “Blank and pitiless as the sun,” “stony sleep,” “vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle”—they’re both jarring and sonorous. Even “slouching towards,” probably the most overused phrase of them all, retains its ominousness after all this repetition. We’d expect the rough beast to “plod,” like a limping monster in a horror movie or the killer in No Country for Old Men (which itself, of course, takes its title from another of Yeats’s lines, in “Sailing to Byzantium”). But plodding is a conscious action; slouching is not. We can’t even tell whether the beast has a will of its own. The verb heightens the mystery and dread.

Even if no one reads poetry anymore, “The Second Coming” is proof that a perfect poem can still go viral in a distinctly predigital way: that it’s become a part of the culture’s water supply. Slouchy though they may be, the misapplications amount to a tribute.
In the endless debate over who is the great poet of the 20th century, I used to think it was Eliot, hands down. Now I think it's a tie between him and Yeats. I can't pick one over the other.

concerned
12-22-2015, 11:53 AM
Thanks. As I read the article I wondered if I should feel bad for joining the throngs who have quoted the poem for various reasons. But I liked this:

In the endless debate over who is the great poet of the 20th century, I used to think it was Eliot, hands down. Now I think it's a tie between him and Yeats. I can't pick one over the other.

or Wallace Stevens

SeattleUte
12-22-2015, 12:04 PM
Sorry to interrupt the interesting poetry clinic. Yesterday cougjunkie said something somewhat thought provoking. Utah does not seem to have recruited much quarterback talent; Whit and his OCs have not had much to work with. If you go to the Rivals or ESPN rankings, this is one position that BYU has recruited better than Utah. But as we've seen, quarterback being the most important position in sports, and also a mystery in terms of who makes a good one, often recruiting evaluation at age 18 don't mean much. Mariota and Manziel were respectively two and three star quarterbacks, and Russell Wilson was not much desired when recruited or drafted. See the links below. So, recruiting quarterbacks is a lot a crap shoot. That's what I most love about football--the fact that quarterback is the great leveler. Have Whit and his OCs just been extremely unlucky recruiting quarterbacks?

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/106378/johnny-manziel

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/110527/marcus-mariota

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/37703/russell-wilson

mpfunk
12-22-2015, 01:12 PM
Sorry to interrupt the interesting poetry clinic. Yesterday cougjunkie said something somewhat thought provoking. Utah does not seem to have recruited much quarterback talent; Whit and his OCs have not had much to work with. If you go to the Rivals or ESPN rankings, this is one position that BYU has recruited better than Utah. But as we've seen, quarterback being the most important position in sports, and also a mystery in terms of who makes a good one, often recruiting evaluation at age 18 don't mean much. Mariota and Manziel were respectively two and three star quarterbacks, and Russell Wilson was not much desired when recruited or drafted. See the links below. So, recruiting quarterbacks is a lot a crap shoot. That's what I most love about football--the fact that quarterback is the great leveler. Have Whit and his OCs just been extremely unlucky recruiting quarterbacks?

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/106378/johnny-manziel

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/110527/marcus-mariota

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/37703/russell-wilson

Over 10 years is more than enough of a trend to say that this isn't just bad luck at Utah. I don't know if the problem is talent evaluation of talent development, but the problem is 100% on Kyle Whittingham.

Now before you launch into another tirade about someone disrespecting Whittingham, I am in favor of an extension and raise to Whittingham.

LA Ute
12-22-2015, 02:39 PM
Over 10 years is more than enough of a trend to say that this isn't just bad luck at Utah. I don't know if the problem is talent evaluation of talent development, but the problem is 100% on Kyle Whittingham.

Now before you launch into another tirade about someone disrespecting Whittingham, I am in favor of an extension and raise to Whittingham.

The "bad luck" explanation does wear thin after a while. I think there definitely is some bad luck -- maybe a lot -- in this situation. But Whit's a CEO, he is ultimately accountable. He's also very smart, so I think he'll figure this out.

LA Ute
12-22-2015, 02:39 PM
Sorry to interrupt the interesting poetry clinic.

Philistine.

SeattleUte
12-22-2015, 03:08 PM
That's why I said extremely unlucky. A situation of unusually prolonged bad luck. Stranger things have happened.

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-22-2015, 03:47 PM
Since we're commenting on LA's signatures, I thought this was timely.

LA Ute
12-22-2015, 03:54 PM
Since we're commenting on LA's signatures, I thought this was timely.

So when does Teddy Roosevelt make an appearance?

UTEopia
12-22-2015, 04:43 PM

I think there are a couple of things that come into play. When Whit took over, BJ was a sophomore. When BJ graduated, they brought in Cain, who was a 4* JUCO and Wynn, a 3* freshman. Wynn ended up winning that job. When Wynn's injuries forced him to stop playing, they had Wilson, who was a high 3* guy. He started 4 years. Unlike other positions, I think it is difficult to recruit QB's when you have a young starter. BYU had that same problem and they will have the same problem going forward. BYU's 2016 committed QB is the kid from Bingham who was not the starter.

I am not saying that this is the only problem. I do, however, think it is part of the problem.

LA Ute
12-22-2015, 05:29 PM
So when does Teddy Roosevelt make an appearance?

wally
12-31-2015, 12:10 PM
I just think that it sucks that we will never be able to ever recruit another Poly player to Utah, now that Sitake and Tuiaki are coaching at BYU. :mad:

Applejack
12-31-2015, 01:02 PM
I just think that it sucks that we will never be able to ever recruit another Poly player to Utah, now that Sitake and Tuiaki are coaching at BYU. :mad:
Maybe we will pick up all the white guys and the black guy that byu used to get. :dunno:

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-02-2016, 05:46 PM
Samson Nacua commits to Utah today. #throwgame

LA Ute
01-02-2016, 06:09 PM
Trib article on Samson. He is Kai's brother.

http://www.sltrib.com/home/3192384-155/prep-football-timpviews-samson-nacua-progressing

concerned
01-02-2016, 10:49 PM
I saw Sampson play east in the 4A title game. He was a man among boys. Caught everything. Maybe grades are the reason he doesn't have a lot of offers. I wonder if he is slow at the college level. That night he was amazing and tireless.

Diehard Ute
01-02-2016, 11:49 PM
I saw Sampson play east in the 4A title game. He was a man among boys. Caught everything. Maybe grades are the reason he doesn't have a lot of offers. I wonder if he is slow at the college level. That night he was amazing and tireless.

It's his grades that kept him from getting offers.

The updated Trib story says his grades suffered following the death of his father but he's since recommitted himself and will be eligible.

LA Ute
01-03-2016, 12:15 AM
Trib article this morning:

"Samson Nacua said Utah is recruiting him as an athlete, with an option of either playing receiver or safety."

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/3371853-155/utah-football-gets-commitment-from-timpview

U-Ute
01-03-2016, 11:40 AM
Troy Huntley named Miami Dolphins's High School Player Of The Year

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/03/2e6bae622fecb5b48a039cbdb215f194.jpg

NorthwestUteFan
01-03-2016, 05:12 PM
That is awesome. What day does he officially sign?

U-Ute
01-04-2016, 09:28 AM

https://twitter.com/FWhittinghamJr/status/684044778212732928

I was thinking this was about Nacua except for the #OBlock.

Any ideas?

concerned
01-04-2016, 09:31 AM
Bolles. All over twitter

U-Ute
01-04-2016, 10:06 AM
Seems like a pretty big deal. My brother's cousin-in-law played with Bolles at Snow. True story.

Let's get him to flip the WR guy now.

Indeed.

Scout has only 33 5 star players in the HS and JC classes combined this year. Utah just grabbed one in @gbolles74

DrumNFeather
01-04-2016, 10:30 AM
I'm glad this one fell our way, hopefully this can help sway some other offensive recruits that may be on the fence.

Applejack
01-04-2016, 01:54 PM
:jig:

I think this new strategy of recruiting non-Tongans (cuz Byu has them on lock) is a good one.

SeattleUte
01-04-2016, 05:30 PM
That may be the most impressive offer list I've ever seen.

http://sports.yahoo.com/smu/football/recruiting/player-Garett-Bolles-169342

mpfunk
01-04-2016, 05:44 PM
That may be the most impressive offer list I've ever seen.

http://sports.yahoo.com/smu/football/recruiting/player-Garett-Bolles-169342

Probably the most impressive offer list of any player that has ever committed to Utah.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-05-2016, 06:44 PM
Riding the momentum with the Bolles commit yesterday, the Utes get Quinn Meier, a RB out of Olympus today! Never heard of the kid. Is this a real thing?

https://twitter.com/QMeier/status/684547077691453440

Diehard Ute
01-05-2016, 07:54 PM
Riding the momentum with the Bolles commit yesterday, the Utes get Quinn Meier, a RB out of Olympus today! Never heard of the kid. Is this a real thing?

Dunno.

He rushed for 1,345 yards and 16 TD's last season

But stats mean nothing in HS really.

Jarid in Cedar
01-05-2016, 08:01 PM

Preferred walk-on

Applejack
01-06-2016, 06:23 AM
Can he play LB?
He'll get a shot.

DrumNFeather
01-06-2016, 07:15 AM
Can he play LB?

He'll get a shot.

Looks like we're actively recruiting about 4 LBs right now, including a JC kid that just decommited from Arizona. Hopefully we'll land one or all of these guys.

U-Ute
01-06-2016, 08:31 AM
Looks like we're actively recruiting about 4 LBs right now, including a JC kid that just decommited from Arizona. Hopefully we'll land one or all of these guys.

Wait. I was under the impression we were shutting the program down given the coaching changes at BYU...?

I'm confused.

UtahsMrSports
01-06-2016, 08:45 AM
I dont subscribe to any paid sites, but can someone list for me the top remaining targets and give maybe a guess as to our standing with them?

Diehard Ute
01-07-2016, 04:02 PM
Seems Sitake is not exactly making a lot of friends

https://twitter.com/hickskeegan/status/685224101426810880

I certainly get coaches need leeway when hired. But for the AD to tell him his spot was fine then the new coach yanks it 3 weeks later?

UtahsMrSports
01-08-2016, 08:56 AM
Seems Sitake is not exactly making a lot of friends

https://twitter.com/hickskeegan/status/685224101426810880

I certainly get coaches need leeway when hired. But for the AD to tell him his spot was fine then the new coach yanks it 3 weeks later?

Heres the thing with this, and I know that my take here probably belongs in another thread.........

When looking at the incident at face value, I don't really mind what BYU did here. This is college football and this wouldn't be the first time a scholarship was promised and then pulled within this time frame. Likely happens everywhere. That said, to BYU I'd just say.............

STOP@#$@#$ TELLING ME THAT YOU ARE SPECIAL OR DIFFERENT FROM EVERYONE ELSE. YOU ARENT. STOP WITH THE "YOU GAVE YOUR WORD!!!!!" NONSENSE. YOU GUYS ARE @#$@#$ JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Diehard Ute
01-08-2016, 09:48 AM
Heres the thing with this, and I know that my take here probably belongs in another thread.........

When looking at the incident at face value, I don't really mind what BYU did here. This is college football and this wouldn't be the first time a scholarship was promised and then pulled within this time frame. Likely happens everywhere. That said, to BYU I'd just say.............

STOP@#$@#$ TELLING ME THAT YOU ARE SPECIAL OR DIFFERENT FROM EVERYONE ELSE. YOU ARENT. STOP WITH THE "YOU GAVE YOUR WORD!!!!!" NONSENSE. YOU GUYS ARE @#$@#$ JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To me this one exposes a few more things.

1) You go to BYU you're expected to schedule your mission etc based on their athletic needs. I thought church came first?!

2) Holmoe's word means nothing. Which goes back to the issues in scheduling, sportsmanship etc.

Stuff certainly happens when a staff change occurs. We all know that. But this kid wasn't just someone who had been recruited to sign this February. And while I can see a coach saying "you're going to have a scholarship" it seems to be far more concrete when the AD tells you that.

I would take your last paragraph a step further. They're not the same, they're worse. Because they claim to be superior, they claim to be about more than winning games.

UtahsMrSports
01-08-2016, 10:42 AM
To me this one exposes a few more things.

1) You go to BYU you're expected to schedule your mission etc based on their athletic needs. I thought church came first?!

2) Holmoe's word means nothing. Which goes back to the issues in scheduling, sportsmanship etc.

Stuff certainly happens when a staff change occurs. We all know that. But this kid wasn't just someone who had been recruited to sign this February. And while I can see a coach saying "you're going to have a scholarship" it seems to be far more concrete when the AD tells you that.

I would take your last paragraph a step further. They're not the same, they're worse. Because they claim to be superior, they claim to be about more than winning games.

Very, very well said.

Scratch
01-08-2016, 10:47 AM

I generally agree, except for the fact that they kept promising him his spot was safe. If you're not going to keep him, or if it's up in the air, you have to tell him that when he first asks post-mission.

NorthwestUteFan
01-08-2016, 11:24 AM
I generally agree, except for the fact that they kept promising him his spot was safe. If you're not going to keep him, or if it's up in the air, you have to tell him that when he first asks post-mission.
I think it is great. I want ALL missionary kids to see this and get worried about whether the byu is in fact a place where they will be able to return and play. I want to see more of them open up for post-mission recruiting at other programs.

Lavell used to promise kids the world until they get close to signing day, only to ship them off to Ricks to park them for a few years and protect them from other programs.

Rocker Ute
01-08-2016, 03:12 PM

This would fix a lot of things actually. Just come clean and say, "We play sports because we like sports and competition. We are just a football team..."

It won't fix all issues but would address some of them.

Diehard Ute
01-08-2016, 03:15 PM
This would fix a lot of things actually. Just come clean and say, "We play sports because we like sports and competition. We are just a football team..."

It won't fix all issues but would address some of them.

But that won't ever happen, because as soon as athletics isn't a "missionary tool" it's no longer "needed".

Rocker Ute
01-08-2016, 03:24 PM
But that won't ever happen, because as soon as athletics isn't a "missionary tool" it's no longer "needed".

Yeah! Then they shut it down.

Actually there are lots of things Mormons do for fun that aren't necessarily part of the 'mission of the church' of sorts. You might twist it into one of those things, but sometimes it is just for fun.

I'll let LA give you some examples.

Diehard Ute
01-08-2016, 03:29 PM
Yeah! Then they shut it down.

Actually there are lots of things Mormons do for fun that aren't necessarily part of the 'mission of the church' of sorts. You might twist it into one of those things, but sometimes it is just for fun.

I'll let LA give you some examples.

While I would agree it's been made abundantly clear that's the reason athletics still exists at BYU.

LA Ute
01-08-2016, 03:38 PM
While I would agree it's been made abundantly clear that's the reason athletics still exists at BYU.

I think that's what BYU athletics boosters think. If matters ever get to the point where the BYU BOT decides that BYU sports are hurting the church's mission, there will be no more BYU sports, or they'll be significantly de-emphasized. You can take that one to the bank. It is the nightmare that lurks deep in the mental recesses of true-blue BYU fans, although few of them will admit it.

kccougar
01-08-2016, 03:45 PM
I think that's what BYU athletics boosters think. If matters ever get to the point where the BYU BOT decides that BYU sports are hurting the church's mission, there will be no more BYU sports, or they'll be significantly de-emphasized. You can take that one to the bank. It is the nightmare that lurks deep in the mental recesses of true-blue BYU fans, although few of them will admit it.

And every ALUF's wet dream.

SeattleUte
01-08-2016, 03:51 PM

This is crazy talk. Totally out of character for the LDS Church. They'll sooner agree to play on Sunday, grant full academic freedom to professors, and apologize to minorities and women they have stigmatized and oppressed if necessary to gain admission to a big conference than drop football.

LA Ute
01-08-2016, 04:06 PM
And every ALUF's wet dream.

I'd be kind of sad and kind of glad to see it happen. Just like I felt about Ricks. It would be the end of an era. But if BYU becomes like the service academies -- tough competitors, really standing for something (spirit, tradition, honor), and going to bowl games, but giving up on the annual NC talk -- I think the overwhelming majority of BYU fans would be happy about that and we ALUFs could even cheer for them then. Everyone wins!

LA Ute
01-08-2016, 04:08 PM
This is crazy talk. Totally out of character for the LDS Church. They'll sooner agree to play on Sunday, grant full academic freedom to professors, and apologize to minorities and women they have stigmatized and oppressed if necessary to gain admission to a big conference than drop football.

Nope, you're dead wrong.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-14-2016, 12:42 PM
Could be a nice little finish.

Joseph Silverzweig ‏@JSilverzweig (https://twitter.com/JSilverzweig) 4m (https://twitter.com/JSilverzweig/status/687720341804679168)4 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/JSilverzweig/status/687720341804679168)
ESPN 300 athletes Steffon McKnight (#205, CA WR) and Maxs Tupai (#233, UT LB) projected to sign with the Utes. http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/football/insider/story/_/id/14561898 … (https://t.co/r1Rj8sFXpU)

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-22-2016, 02:01 PM
It was just announced that Cal's OC is bailing to be the OC at Middle Tennessee. Wonder if Stoval is having regrets. This is where student athletes deserve more flexibility.

DrumNFeather
01-22-2016, 02:03 PM
It was just announced that Cal's OC is bailing to be the OC at Middle Tennessee. Wonder if Stoval is having regrets. This is where student athletes deserve more flexibility.

Hopefully it helps us with the other few guys that have narrowed it to us and Cal.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-22-2016, 03:02 PM
Hopefully it helps us with the other few guys that have narrowed it to us and Cal.

Yes. Couldn't have happened on a better weekend.

U-Ute
01-24-2016, 11:05 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160124/bbc9949cadf2da25becada7d3a8130b8.jpg

DrumNFeather
01-26-2016, 02:03 PM
Nygel King, CB out of Texas commits to the Utes. Rivals has him as a two star, but everyone else (I believe has him at 3 stars). Our main competition down the stretch was Va. Tech, and he originally committed to Houston.

LA Ute
01-26-2016, 02:41 PM
Utah football: Whittingham on recruiting, early enrollees (http://www.sltrib.com/sports/3458817-155/utah-football-whittingham-on-recruiting-early)

Diehard Ute
01-26-2016, 02:44 PM
Nygel King, CB out of Texas commits to the Utes. Rivals has him as a two star, but everyone else (I believe has him at 3 stars). Our main competition down the stretch was Va. Tech, and he originally committed to Houston.

He's 6'1" 175. Good size for the secondary.

Diehard Ute
01-26-2016, 02:50 PM
Watching film of King he seems to have good speed, and he's certainly a physical corner. Loves to come up and make a tackle

Diehard Ute
01-26-2016, 02:53 PM
He's 6'1" 175. Good size for the secondary.

Seems most have him at 6'2"

Scout lists his 40 as 4.6

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-26-2016, 04:04 PM
This thread has been way too quiet. I saw that Scout was running an offer over the weekend for $9.95 for nine months of access. Sure, most of that is pretty quiet after the next two weeks, but it made me wonder if social media outlets like Twitter was killing recruiting sites like Rivals and Scout.

So here we are, just under a week until NLI day. As I've been able to figure out, we're hoping to hold on to a few guys we have, flip a few guys that others have and grab a few that no one has.

Utah commits
Cole Fotheringham-Took a BYU visit last weekend. "Just so happened" to be on the same flight as several Utah coaches. BYU seems to really want him but there's also talk of a Notre Dame TE transferring to BYU, so not sure if that makes a difference.
Leki Fotu-Tripped to So. Cal last weekend. Read that he's high on their list. Tough push. No idea where it lands.
Johnny Maea-BYU wanted him before he committed to Utah. New regime still wants him. When he committed, he said that Utah "felt like home" but he's been curious about what Kalani has been doing in Provo. Was supposed to trip to Utah last weekend, but pushed it to this weekend, cancelling his BYU OV. He may trip to Provo sometime this week. I would consider the move positive for Utah, but it's a guess.
Zach Moss-Hat trick of the Florida kids. His buddies have been on campus for a month but he seemed to really liking Tennessee for a bit. Tripped to SLC last weekend and seemed to have a blast. Haven't seen any mention of Tennessee since.
Alema Pilimai-Tripped to BYU with Fotheringham last weekend. Cousins with two Pili's that play for BYU. (I tried to recruit the Pilis while they were in my Vegas ward but they moved to Utah, so it's not my fault.) If this is the best edit that Provo can do, we should be a lock. http://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=15344854

Guys Other People Have but We'd be happy to take
Jonah Trinnaman-Utah has been pushing hard for this JC receiver committed to BYU. Holliday was his recruiter while at the Y, so the switch has definitely improved our chances. I'm also reading that he's a big Cahoon fan, so who knows. He tripped to SLC this last weekend and seemed to be impressed.
David Luafatasaga-Ole Miss commit. Rated #1 JUCO outside linebacker. I understand it's down to Cal and Utah. Did a Utah OV a couple weekends ago, headed to Ole Miss this weekend. Heard positive things about his feelings on Utah.
Max Tooley-Tripped with everyone else this last weekend and Utah gave him "something to think about." He gave it 75% BYU.
Jaren Hall-Tripped with the above and is "looking hard" at Utah.

Kids still on the table
Maxs Tupai-Would be a great get. Tripped to the Trojans last weekend and will visit Oklahoma this weekend. Hasn't OV to Utah but is very familiar with the program, being he's in Murray. Quiet kid that doesn't seem to do social media, so no one really knows what's going on. Greg Biggins seems to think it's down to Utah and Oklahoma. http://www.scout.com/college/football/recruiting/story/1636075-latest-on-utah-de-maxs-tupai
Kaelin Himphill-tripped to Arizona last weekend and seemed high on the Wildcats. Scheduled to trip to Utah this weekend. Don't know much else.
Doug Taumoelau-Oregon State lean
Boss Tagaloa-He got a birthday cake from Harbaugh, so we're pretty much out of the picture.
Fua Pututau-Has visited Utah and BYU. Say's he's 50/50 on where he's headed.
Wayne Kirby-Decommitted from BYU awhile back. I thought we used to be pretty high on this Idaho kid's list but it sounds like he's liking the Ducks. Is scheduled to visit Utah this weekend.
Victor Viramontes-Will have tripped to Utah, Arizona and Cal.

There are others, but those seem to be the ones worth talking about. Should be a very interesting Wednesday.

Also, I have a friend flying to Hawaii at the moment. Mentioned that Scalley and Powell are on the same flight. Sad to see that they've already given up trying to recruit against Sitake and are taking the early vacation.

sancho
01-26-2016, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the update.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-27-2016, 12:12 AM
Sounds like Trinnaman and Kaufusi are off the table.

LA Ute
01-27-2016, 08:17 AM
I saw somewhere thay our class is ranked 33rd. If so we should all feel pretty good.

concerned
01-27-2016, 08:29 AM
I saw somewhere thay our class is ranked 33rd. If so we should all feel pretty good.

i have read that our current ranking is due in part to the number of recruits; we have reported more commitments than many other programs still in the 13-18 range, and that are ranking will go down as other programs fill up. FWIW

DrumNFeather
01-27-2016, 08:30 AM
This thread has been way too quiet. I saw that Scout was running an offer over the weekend for $9.95 for nine months of access. Sure, most of that is pretty quiet after the next two weeks, but it made me wonder if social media outlets like Twitter was killing recruiting sites like Rivals and Scout.

So here we are, just under a week until NLI day. As I've been able to figure out, we're hoping to hold on to a few guys we have, flip a few guys that others have and grab a few that no one has.

I think twitter is definitely killing those sites. Occasionally you'll get some good insights on how things went down etc...but it is pretty rare that there is a true "scoop" on something before it happens.

sancho
01-27-2016, 08:33 AM
I think twitter is definitely killing those sites. Occasionally you'll get some good insights on how things went down etc...but it is pretty rare that there is a true "scoop" on something before it happens.

Am I wrong, or is that a good thing?

DrumNFeather
01-27-2016, 08:39 AM
Am I wrong, or is that a good thing?

All in all...probably a good thing. I think Utah is still very much in a transitional period in terms of recruiting. Having a guy like DE on the staff has opened doors and states up that we may have never even considered. Hopefully that trend continues.

UtahsMrSports
01-27-2016, 08:58 AM
Another one to keep an eye on is Terrell Burgess. I see that he will be announcing tomorrow evening.

The scout guys are the only ones left who think utah still has a chance with Trinnaman. And that is not a good sign. Speaking of recruiting sites.......

I considered signing up for that Scout offer a couple of weeks ago, even did the free trial. Didn't even make it through that without cancelling. On twitter, I saw stuff like "We have an update on some ute recruits ($)" and id go to the link and it was absolutely nothing I hadn't already seen. I cant imagine what its like during the slow times for recruiting. Even sillier is when they put up practice reports for spring ball/fall camp behind the pay wall.

Paid recruiting sites are going to be on teh way out soon enough. When newspapers like the Des News hire someone to cover recruiting as their primary job (The man, the myth, the legend........the Gurn!!!!!!), there really isn't much need for a paid subscription. (Admittedly, gurn focuses 90% on the Y). Heck, when TJ was the beat writer for Ute hoops, he published WAY more info on hoops recruiting than even the paid site guys.

UtahsMrSports
01-27-2016, 09:11 AM
i have read that our current ranking is due in part to the number of recruits; we have reported more commitments than many other programs still in the 13-18 range, and that are ranking will go down as other programs fill up. FWIW

Good point. I do think we have a floor in that regard.

https://rivals.yahoo.com/usf/football/recruiting/teamrank

DrumNFeather
01-27-2016, 09:13 AM
Another one to keep an eye on is Terrell Burgess. I see that he will be announcing tomorrow evening.

The scout guys are the only ones left who think utah still has a chance with Trinnaman. And that is not a good sign. Speaking of recruiting sites.......

I considered signing up for that Scout offer a couple of weeks ago, even did the free trial. Didn't even make it through that without cancelling. On twitter, I saw stuff like "We have an update on some ute recruits ($)" and id go to the link and it was absolutely nothing I hadn't already seen. I cant imagine what its like during the slow times for recruiting. Even sillier is when they put up practice reports for spring ball/fall camp behind the pay wall.

Paid recruiting sites are going to be on teh way out soon enough. When newspapers like the Des News hire someone to cover recruiting as their primary job (The man, the myth, the legend........the Gurn!!!!!!), there really isn't much need for a paid subscription. (Admittedly, gurn focuses 90% on the Y). Heck, when TJ was the beat writer for Ute hoops, he published WAY more info on hoops recruiting than even the paid site guys.

I think the other thing about the paid sites is that it can be a bit maddening to follow it so closely. Oh sure, it's nice to be an "insider," but that only takes you so far with all of the outlets there are for reporting on this stuff. I'll probably end up canceling my rivals subscription after signing day. (Usually when I do that I visit the site and there's a new thread: "HUGE Recruiting News" - then I just get salty).

LA Ute
01-27-2016, 11:58 AM

Diehard Ute
01-27-2016, 05:13 PM
Football Twitter sent out a picture of the LOI's waiting to be sent. I count 30.

concerned
01-27-2016, 05:16 PM
Football Twitter sent out a picture of the LOI's waiting to be sent. I count 30.

Do sign and sends sign LOI's or just grant in aids? What was it that Langi didnt sign?

Diehard Ute
01-27-2016, 05:18 PM
Do sign and sends sign LOI's or just grant in aids? What was it that Langi didnt sign?

It depends on what their plans are what they sign. Most sign LOI's.

kccougar
01-27-2016, 08:17 PM

As a general rule, Utah staff chooses not to have their mission kids sign Letters of Intent. Preserves space under the scholarship limit but comes with some risk.

NorthwestUteFan
01-27-2016, 08:20 PM
As a general rule, Utah staff chooses not to have their mission kids sign Letters of Intent. Preserves space under the scholarship limit but comes with some risk.
This is true. Occasionally we will lose a 3rd string linebacker.

Diehard Ute
01-27-2016, 08:47 PM

With the rule changes signing an LOI is pointless if the player isn't going to enroll, it expires after a year.

SeattleUte
01-28-2016, 12:23 AM

Well, all Rivals does in determining the team rankings is aggregate the number of stars. So obviously more warm bodies means a higher team ranking if the recruits have any stars at all.

If you believe that star ratings are scientific and precise, the better measure of successful recruiting would seem to be the average star figure, which is a column on the Rivals team rankings but does not figure into the team rankings.

But, for what it's worth, here is my observation after following these rankings for a number of years. The differences between the top 5 is pure speculation, as is comparisons between those ranked 5-10. But it probably does mean something material to be in the top 5. The difference between the top, say, 5-10 and, say, the 15-25 is probably material. But any comparisons between teams beyond, say, the top 15-20 is purely subjective speculation. It's all about coaching and luck.

We learned from Boylen that it's even possible to lobby for more stars for your recruits, by granting access, etc. It doesn't seem to me that Whit and his staff would waste their time with this.

UtahsMrSports
01-28-2016, 08:42 AM
Of our current commits, does anyone know who the sign and sends are? I genuinely have no idea.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-28-2016, 08:48 AM
Of our current commits, does anyone know who the sign and sends are? I genuinely have no idea.

Off the top of my head: Cole Fotheringham, R.J. Hubert, Johnny Maea, Alema Pilimai, and Samson Nacua.

UTEopia
01-28-2016, 09:14 AM
Off the top of my head: Cole Fotheringham, R.J. Hubert, Johnny Maea, Alema Pilimai, and Samson Nacua.

I don't think Nacua.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-28-2016, 09:22 AM
I don't think Nacua.

Yeah, that was kind of a guess.

UBlender
01-28-2016, 09:28 AM

Nacua isn't, but Lauaki is. Also, Pututau and Bills (I think) that Utah is still recruiting.

UtahsMrSports
01-28-2016, 09:29 AM
Ohaji Hawkins just decommitted. Looking at his offer sheet, and who just committed/might commit today, I think this may have been a decision made on our end............but I dont know.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-28-2016, 09:33 AM
Ohaji Hawkins just decommitted. Looking at his offer sheet, and who just committed/might commit today, I think this may have been a decision made on our end............but I dont know.

Are there responsible rumors regarding this piece?

DrumNFeather
01-28-2016, 09:44 AM
Are there responsible rumors regarding this piece?

Burgess is announcing today (Cal/Utah) and the LB from Miami is in town as well.