PDA

View Full Version : Top WRs in Utah history

UtahsMrSports
06-18-2015, 07:45 AM
http://www.deseretnews.com/top/3271/1/HM-Josh-Lyman-2000-02-Ranking-the-best-wide-receivers-in-University-of-Utah-history.html

Another Deseret News list!

What do you all think? My knowledge of Ute football only goes back to 1994, so I am curious to hear what others think.

UBlender
06-18-2015, 08:11 AM
http://www.deseretnews.com/top/3271/1/HM-Josh-Lyman-2000-02-Ranking-the-best-wide-receivers-in-University-of-Utah-history.html

What do you all think? My knowledge of Ute football only goes back to 1994, so I am curious to hear what others think.

My initial thought is that Kevin Dyson is way too low. I know you can't always compare numbers across eras but still he's a four year guy whose numbers blow away everyone but Rowley's. His career also had impact beyond the numbers as he was prominent in Utah football taking another step during the '90s, local guy, caught one of the most iconic passes in the program's history, had an absolute monster game in a marquee game that nobody remembers (BYU 1997--Arceneaux just kept chucking ducks toward Dyson and he kept beating down BYU guys to catch balls that shouldn't have been complete).

It also seems like Dres is too low.

It also seems like pretty much every starting WR from the 2000s got honorable mention which seemed a little goofy, but whatevs....

UTEopia
06-18-2015, 08:18 AM

As I read the list the thing that jumps out at me is how many of those guys were JC transfers. There were some very good receivers back in the day. Speedy Thomas and Roy Jefferson were my favorites as a kid. I remember Jack Steptoe catching a 3 yard pass and racing 98 yards for a TD.

DrumNFeather
06-18-2015, 08:32 AM
I probably would've put Steve Smith higher on the list, but that might be me biasing his NFL accomplishments.

Man, I wish Steve Savoy would've stayed in school another year.

SoCalPat
06-18-2015, 09:45 AM
It's a good list, but no way does Brent Casteel rate only honorable mention. Sometimes, you gotta look past the numbers, and Brent's intangibles make him an all-timer in the Whittingham era.

concerned
06-18-2015, 09:59 AM
I probably would've put Steve Smith higher on the list, but that might be me biasing his NFL accomplishments.

Steve Savoy staying another year would not have mattered unless Alex did too.

DrumNFeather
06-18-2015, 11:48 AM
Steve Savoy staying another year would not have mattered unless Alex did too.

Maybe...still, between he and Paris Warren that was a lot of production you had to replace.

Interestingly enough, a guy I work with is good friends with Cliff Russel. He still lives in the DC area and owns a pretty successful gym.

chrisrenrut
06-18-2015, 12:59 PM
I know he was a tight end, but Dennis Smith was one of my favorite ball catchers or his time. Not sure how his numbers stack up. He ended up spending a few years in the NFL.

Mormon Red Death
06-18-2015, 08:02 PM

Steve Smith is#1 its not his fault mac couldn't realize what everyone else in the stands knew or the cavalcade of shitty qbs throwing to him.