PDA

View Full Version : What is Utah football's brand?

LA Ute
07-05-2015, 10:30 PM
Interesting Matt Piper piece of what Fred Whittingham is doing with branding. Better late than never. Glad they're working on this.

http://www.sltrib.com/home/2692221-155/utahs-football-team-adjusts-its-recruiting?fullpage=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrj84105
07-05-2015, 11:43 PM
Wow. It sounds like they finally realized what the fanbase has known for a few years.

FountainOfUte
07-07-2015, 02:07 PM
I think our brand is a tough, blue-collar, beast-in-the-trenches team. Dominant on defense and a great place to land if you have NFL secondary aspirations.

Utah doesn't have the party rep that an Arizona school might have or the sexiness of the Cali schools. We'll never have that. So how do we turn that into a positive? I think we push the narrative that you get to play and beat those teams with regularity. That may appeal to the kids who feel those schools overlooked them. We're a great place for serious players -- football comes before partying. Bowls and road trips are business trips. We are a great place for kids who feel they were overlooked for 4-/5-star perks, but come here and earn an NFL-potential reputation because we can develop them if a kid is willing to work.

I'll confess, that's a sales pitch that will land plenty of high 3-star kids, but not sure if it resonates with kids who actually are four- and five-star talents. I think our ticket to getting those kids is winning and putting guys into the NFL. Either that, or somehow figure out how to have SoCal annex SLC as its easternmost city.

Now, what SHOULD our brand be different than that? Not sure. I'd love to have a pitch that would make stud QBs and WRs salivate, but I just don't see that on the horizon.

wally
07-07-2015, 03:24 PM
I think our brand should be "crispy on the outside, but warm and gooey sweet in the middle!" It just sounds so good!

sancho
07-07-2015, 03:37 PM
I think our brand should be "crispy on the outside, but warm and gooey sweet in the middle!" It just sounds so good!

S'mores are already overdone. Every cereal, granola bar, and candy has to have a s'mores flavor. And s'mores aren't even that good!

wally
07-07-2015, 04:13 PM
S'mores are already overdone. Every cereal, granola bar, and candy has to have a s'mores flavor. And s'mores aren't even that good!

No not crunchy, crispy! I am thinking about churros!

sancho
07-07-2015, 06:40 PM
No not crunchy, crispy! I am thinking about churros!

Aye! Churros! I'm on board 100%.

SoCalPat
07-07-2015, 09:22 PM
I think our brand is a tough, blue-collar, beast-in-the-trenches team. Dominant on defense and a great place to land if you have NFL secondary aspirations.

Utah doesn't have the party rep that an Arizona school might have or the sexiness of the Cali schools. We'll never have that. So how do we turn that into a positive? I think we push the narrative that you get to play and beat those teams with regularity. That may appeal to the kids who feel those schools overlooked them. We're a great place for serious players -- football comes before partying. Bowls and road trips are business trips. We are a great place for kids who feel they were overlooked for 4-/5-star perks, but come here and earn an NFL-potential reputation because we can develop them if a kid is willing to work.

I'll confess, that's a sales pitch that will land plenty of high 3-star kids, but not sure if it resonates with kids who actually are four- and five-star talents. I think our ticket to getting those kids is winning and putting guys into the NFL. Either that, or somehow figure out how to have SoCal annex SLC as its easternmost city.

Now, what SHOULD our brand be different than that? Not sure. I'd love to have a pitch that would make stud QBs and WRs salivate, but I just don't see that on the horizon.

Agreed. If there's a program out there that we should best emulate, it would be Wisconsin. They're the No. 5 "prestige" school in the Big 10. No reason we can't fill a similar role in the Pac-12 (behind USC, UCLA, Oregon and Stanford.)

LA Ute
07-07-2015, 09:33 PM
Agreed. If there's a program out there that we should best emulate, it would be Wisconsin. They're the No. 5 "prestige" school in the Big 10. No reason we can't fill a similar role in the Pac-12 (behind USC, UCLA, Oregon and Stanford.)

I like the brand you and Fountain of Ute are talking about.

sancho
07-07-2015, 09:47 PM

No one else can really make a case for that spot in the big 12. Quality drops off quickly.

But in the Pac 12, you have UW with a lot of tradition. You have Utah, ASU, and Zona all trying to lock up that "next in line" role. Not to mention the potential and history with CU and Cal.

There will be a little less pressure once Stanford returns to their natural position on the bottom.

jrj84105
07-08-2015, 07:36 AM
At some point people need to have a more serious look at the Utes name and the DnF logo. Our marketing has to be so cautious with using our core brand components that it really hinders any ability to integrate our branding efforts and reinforce it with appropriate imagery. Could the Oregon Ducks have been so innovative with their uniforms if duck feathers were sacred?

Would the Utah Highlanders be easier to portray as tough? Would tartan sell better than topo? Would a Cutthroat Pirate better illustrate our "saltiness". Does the U hand gesture very easily transform into Moose antlers? Did the PAC12's "O Pioneers" spot initially make you think it was a Utah promo? I really liked our Ute Proud effort, but it had to completely stand alone, apart from any other marketing, to have any chance of happening.

LA Ute
07-08-2015, 07:57 AM
Would the Utah Highlanders be easier to portray as tough? Would tartan sell better than topo? Would a Cutthroat Pirate better illustrate our "saltiness". Does the U hand gesture very easily transform into Moose antlers?

:clap:

tooblue
07-08-2015, 08:05 AM
I thought this had been settled years ago ... Utah: the new Washington St. ... or Oregon St. maybe?

sancho
07-08-2015, 09:16 AM
At some point people need to have a more serious look at the Utes name and the DnF logo. Our marketing has to be so cautious with using our core brand components that it really hinders any ability to integrate our branding efforts and reinforce it with appropriate imagery. Could the Oregon Ducks have been so innovative with their uniforms if duck feathers were sacred?

Would the Utah Highlanders be easier to portray as tough? Would tartan sell better than topo? Would a Cutthroat Pirate better illustrate our "saltiness". Does the U hand gesture very easily transform into Moose antlers? Did the PAC12's "O Pioneers" spot initially make you think it was a Utah promo? I really liked our Ute Proud effort, but it had to completely stand alone, apart from any other marketing, to have any chance of happening.

Thankfully, seems like we will get to be Utes for a while. And, if we go away from it, Hawks is still the likeliest (and worst) choice. But if you want to talk branding, nothing works as well as Red Rocks.

In order from a branding perspective: Red Rocks, Pioneers, Highlanders, Hawks, Cutthroat, Moose

jrj84105
07-08-2015, 05:48 PM
I don't see us going away from the Utes name as we sort of have the same claim to it as the Illini have to theirs sans NA imagery (RIP Chief Illiniwek). I do think going fully away from NA imagery is inevitable and would rather see us make the change proactively and within the context of a clear, comprehensive marketing strategy rather than a just reflexively going with Swoop and Hawks when the time comes. There's no reason why we shouldn't just can Swoop now as 90% of our fanbase would rather have a Pirate, a Pioneer, a Moose (obviously spelled MUUSS), a Scottsman, a Trout, or hell a Scottish Trout in a kilt than that stupid generic bird.

PS: Whatever our mascot is, he should be disgruntled and named "Salty" to match the general temperment of our coaches and fans.

SeattleUte
08-10-2015, 04:59 PM
Man, it feels good to see an article like this in the LA Times. Kudos to our basketball and football coaches!

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-top-25-utah-20150810-column.html

LA Ute
08-10-2015, 05:13 PM
Man, it feels good to see an article like this in the LA Times. Kudos to our basketball and football coaches!

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-top-25-utah-20150810-column.html

:clap:

LA Ute
09-17-2015, 05:59 PM
Maybe this could be worked into our branding. We have a good story to tell about RB tradition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=237&v=sHnkPOOr8j0

LA Ute
12-29-2015, 06:20 AM
Maybe this can be part of our brand: ranked 13th in graduation success rate:

College Football Top 25, Ranked by Academics

http://time.com/4147924/college-football-top-25-ranked-by-academics/?xid=time_socialflow_facebook

One of only 3 PAC-12 schools in the top 25. Stanford and USC are the other 2.

SoCalPat
12-29-2015, 05:54 PM
Maybe this can be part of our brand: ranked 13th in graduation success rate:

College Football Top 25, Ranked by Academics

http://time.com/4147924/college-football-top-25-ranked-by-academics/?xid=time_socialflow_facebook

One of only 3 PAC-12 schools in the top 25. Stanford and USC are the other 2.

Pardon my French, but this list is horseshit. First, if Utah isn't in the final CFP rankings, it doesn't make this list. Any "academic rankings" that puts Utah behind Baylor and Ole Miss is immediately sketchy. Also, graduation rates is the ultimate "who cares?" measuring stick of academic success, what with all the tutors and cake majors eligible for athletes -- especially in football.

Also, Oregon is on this list as well. Four Pac-12 teams.

LA Ute
12-29-2015, 07:30 PM
Pardon my French, but this list is horseshit. First, if Utah isn't in the final CFP rankings, it doesn't make this list. Any "academic rankings" that puts Utah behind Baylor and Ole Miss is immediately sketchy. Also, graduation rates is the ultimate "who cares?" measuring stick of academic success, what with all the tutors and cake majors eligible for athletes -- especially in football.

Also, Oregon is on this list as well. Four Pac-12 teams.

Oregon's in the PAC-12?

HuskyFreeNorthwest
12-30-2015, 09:54 AM
Oregon's in the PAC-12?

Only when we have a QB.

Sullyute
12-30-2015, 01:01 PM
Only when we have a QB. We know that feeling.

LA Ute
12-30-2015, 01:28 PM
We know that feeling.

I'd actually like to know what that feels like.

Jarid in Cedar
12-30-2015, 01:39 PM
I'd actually like to know what that feels like.

:rolleyes:

LA Ute
12-30-2015, 02:37 PM
:rolleyes:

Hyperbole. 😉

SeattleUte
01-02-2016, 06:21 PM
Guys, this bowl season has convinced me. We're in not only the glitziest but the overall toughest conference. Pac 12 teams are penalized for their brutal in-conference schedules. How can BYU not find its way into that glorified mid-major conference the Big 12?

SeattleUte
01-02-2016, 08:56 PM
Guys, this bowl season has convinced me. We're in not only the glitziest but the overall toughest conference. Pac 12 teams are penalized for their brutal in-conference schedules. How can BYU not find its way into that glorified mid-major conference the Big 12?

So I post this and then Oregon blows a 31-point lead. This gives me a taste of what it feels like to be Viking.

NorthwestUteFan
01-03-2016, 09:36 AM
So I post this and then Oregon blows a 31-point lead. This gives me a taste of what it feels like to be Viking.

Oregon showed why recruiting is so important. They had no chance to recruit a QB behind Mariota, because talented QBs want to play now rather than sit for 3 years. The problem then becomes what to do when QB #1 goes down, if QB #2 has a completely different skill set.

Helfrich absolutely should have changed his game plan when Adams went out. His backup qb is talented, but can't run the same dynamic offense. And they choked it away on a big stage.

Also, what Defense?

Oregon might finish #4 in the North next year.

Applejack
01-03-2016, 05:36 PM
That's not very Viking-like. If you want to post like Viking, you claim your team is going to kick our ass, steal all the Tongan recruits (how racist!), and do away with the word of wisdom.

Then, the game is over 5 minutes in, the recruits are the same, and coffee is still a no-no.

That's how you post like Viking.

U-Ute
01-06-2016, 08:52 AM
Utes Football: Offensive Idenitity is Offensive

http://www.tornbysports.com/utes-football-offensive-idenitity-is-offensive/

Not sure how serious to take these guys since they can't spell "Identity" properly.