PDA

View Full Version : Alex Smith's Revenge: Utah vs. Michigan

Pages : [1] 2

DrumNFeather
08-25-2015, 11:50 AM
Time for the individual game threads to get going...

Our beloved Utes hit the national exposure lottery with Jim Harbaugh and the Wolverines coming to town to open the 2015 campaign, and now we need to take advantage of it.

When you look at the 2014 Wolverines, outside of a few outliar type games there was one major theme: They couldn't score. Enter Jim Harbaugh, fresh off of wearing out his welcome with the 49ers, which as we all know included benching our favorite son Alex Smith.

From the looks of it, they will likely be starting Iowa transfer Jake Rudock at QB. In two seasons at Iowa, he's thrown for 4800 yards with 34 TDs and 18 INTs.

It sounds like they have a decent number of guys returning, and Harbaugh's success at Stanford is well known, so I think this will be a tough test. But for game 1 on the road in Sack Lake City, I'll give the Utes an edge to wear the wolverines down.

9 Days baby!

SoCalPat
08-25-2015, 12:46 PM
If Harbaugh is going to mine David Shaw for information on Utah, then I should expect Kyle to mine Alex Smith for information on Harbaugh. I expect a very low-scoring game. I'll be very surprised if both teams get over 20 in regulation.

U-Ute
08-25-2015, 01:16 PM
I heard something about a khaki wearing bus. I thought it was a joke.

Behold: The Harbus.

U-Ute
08-25-2015, 01:34 PM
My expectations:

Defensively, Harbaugh will play the Utes pretty straight up at the start. Probably 4-3. He will dare us to run. I say we throw the Booker at him and see if we can move the ball. Make them overcommit to stopping Booker and then see what the passing game can do.

Offensively, I am guessing Harbaugh will stay pro-style, which plays into the strength of our D.

SoCalPat
08-25-2015, 02:08 PM
Here's a great piece from Harbaugh's first year with the Niners when he found immediate success with Alex in the pass game. A must-read to get an idea of what we'll see in a few days.

http://grantland.com/features/quarterbacking-made-simple/

From re-reading this, my predictions on our game plan are as such: I would expect us not to blitz much at all in this game. Our pass rush with four down lineman should be enough to pressure the Michigan QB. Maybe we peel off a DB once in a while, and we'll play nickel on obvious passing downs. Like any defense, we need to make down-distance favorable to us and avoid 2nd and 6 or less. We'll also need great games from our linebackers, who will be counted on to disrupt passing lanes and be sure tacklers.

Diehard Ute
08-25-2015, 02:11 PM
Here's a great piece from Harbaugh's first year with the Niners when he found immediate success with Alex in the pass game. A must-read to get an idea of what we'll see in a few days.

http://grantland.com/features/quarterbacking-made-simple/

From re-reading this, my predictions on our game plan are as such: I would expect us not to blitz much at all in this game. Our pass rush with four down lineman should be enough to pressure the Michigan QB. Maybe we peel off a DB once in a while, and we'll play nickel on obvious passing downs. Like any defense, we need to make down-distance favorable to us and avoid 2nd and 6 or less. We'll also need great games from our linebackers, who will be counted on to disrupt passing lanes and be sure tacklers.

And this plays well into our defense that has been established. 40 of the 55 sacks the Utes had last year came on rushes of 4 players or less

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoCalPat
08-27-2015, 09:41 AM
Looking back at last year's game and what stood out.

Our pass rush and Kaelin Clay were the biggest difference. Michigan actually ran the ball well on us, but their numbers suffered because of sacks taken, which I think we can all agree has nothing to do with the run game. Take the sacks away, and Michigan averaged 4.1 YPC to Utah's 3.4.

Utah only had one more sack in the game than Michigan (4-3), but Michigan threw 12 more incomplete passes and three INTs total. Even with a deep threat like Funchess, who hurt us at times (4-82, long of 25), Michigan averaged just 4.9 YPA and 10.6 YPC, to Utah's 7.6 and 11.4. Utah's numbers are not great, and without looking it up, probably below our season averages. Michigan's were horrible, and I attribute that to our front 4/7.

Nothing more needs to be said about Clay, just as nothing more needs to be said about Michigan's offense, which didn't reach the end zone.

Wanna know why Andy Phillips will kick in the NFL while Louie Sakoda couldn't? Sakoda's leg wasn't deemed strong enough to kick off (Ben Vroman did KO duties against Michigan in 2008), but Phillips nailed 5 of 6 KOs for touchbacks at Michigan. That's without the benefit of altitude. He also booted FGs of 50 and 48 yards (Sakoda did have a 53 yarder in 2008). Phillips has the leg to handle both FGs and KOs. If the coaches wanted, Phillips would go the entire season at home without giving up a return, but if his placement is good, I could see him kicking off to the goal line and letting our coverage units try pinning teams back even further.

Kendal Thompson was a borderline disaster in this game. Intentional grounding/sack ended his first drive, his second drive ended with a pick-6. His third drive ended with a FG, but we had 3rd and 6 at the Michigan 13 and he takes a sack. KT did complete long third downs on this drive, one with his arm (3-8, Scott catch for 9) and one with his legs (3-9, rush for 12).

Booker ran 11-34 with a long of 9. Bubba Poole was our best runner this game, going 9-40 and a long of 24. Poole also caught 3-75 and a long of 67. Interestingly enough, Utah's longest two pass plays last year did not go for TDs -- I really shouldn't have to tell you what the longest was.

This would be a pick-em game if played in Ann Arbor. If we can disrupt Michigan's pass game like we did last year, we should win. But this is a loseable game, especially if the offense shows up like it did vs. Wazzu and Arizona last year.

DrumNFeather
08-27-2015, 10:14 AM

Our pass rush and Kaelin Clay were the biggest difference. Michigan actually ran the ball well on us, but their numbers suffered because of sacks taken, which I think we can all agree has nothing to do with the run game. Take the sacks away, and Michigan averaged 4.1 YPC to Utah's 3.4.

Utah only had one more sack in the game than Michigan (4-3), but Michigan threw 12 more incomplete passes and three INTs total. Even with a deep threat like Funchess, who hurt us at times (4-82, long of 25), Michigan averaged just 4.9 YPA and 10.6 YPC, to Utah's 7.6 and 11.4. Utah's numbers are not great, and without looking it up, probably below our season averages. Michigan's were horrible, and I attribute that to our front 4/7.

Nothing more needs to be said about Clay, just as nothing more needs to be said about Michigan's offense, which didn't reach the end zone.

Wanna know why Andy Phillips will kick in the NFL while Louie Sakoda couldn't? Sakoda's leg wasn't deemed strong enough to kick off (Ben Vroman did KO duties against Michigan in 2008), but Phillips nailed 5 of 6 KOs for touchbacks at Michigan. That's without the benefit of altitude. He also booted FGs of 50 and 48 yards (Sakoda did have a 53 yarder in 2008). Phillips has the leg to handle both FGs and KOs. If the coaches wanted, Phillips would go the entire season at home without giving up a return, but if his placement is good, I could see him kicking off to the goal line and letting our coverage units try pinning teams back even further.

Kendal Thompson was a borderline disaster in this game. Intentional grounding/sack ended his first drive, his second drive ended with a pick-6. His third drive ended with a FG, but we had 3rd and 6 at the Michigan 13 and he takes a sack. KT did complete long third downs on this drive, one with his arm (3-8, Scott catch for 9) and one with his legs (3-9, rush for 12).

Booker ran 11-34 with a long of 9. Bubba Poole was our best runner this game, going 9-40 and a long of 24. Poole also caught 3-75 and a long of 67. Interestingly enough, Utah's longest two pass plays last year did not go for TDs -- I really shouldn't have to tell you what the longest was.

This would be a pick-em game if played in Ann Arbor. If we can disrupt Michigan's pass game like we did last year, we should win. But this is a loseable game, especially if the offense shows up like it did vs. Wazzu and Arizona last year.

We seem to look sluggish in the opener as well. I'm sure that has something to do with the opponent 9 times out of 10. Hopefully the energy in the stadium will lift our guys up to not come out slow. I can see this being one of those games where we get off to a fast-ish start (21-7 at the half) and then grind it out with a couple of FGs in the second.

UtahsMrSports
08-27-2015, 10:29 AM

I had to go back and watch the highlights, because I thought that was the one where our WR group fell asleep at the wheel and didn't block and it cost us the TD. Nope, that must have been something else.......Booker against OSU maybe? Anyway, if Ken Scott is a half step faster on that Poole catch, that goes for a touchdown.

LA Ute
08-27-2015, 11:10 AM
We seem to look sluggish in the opener as well. I'm sure that has something to do with the opponent 9 times out of 10. Hopefully the energy in the stadium will lift our guys up to not come out slow. I can see this being one of those games where we get off to a fast-ish start (21-7 at the half) and then grind it out with a couple of FGs in the second.

This had become Kyle Whittingham's trademarked style.

Rocker Ute
08-27-2015, 12:52 PM
I had to go back and watch the highlights, because I thought that was the one where our WR group fell asleep at the wheel and didn't block and it cost us the TD. Nope, that must have been something else.......Booker against OSU maybe? Anyway, if Ken Scott is a half step faster on that Poole catch, that goes for a touchdown.

It was this game. Poole was streaking down the sideline with two receivers there to block, but they were looking at Poole instead of looking to block. A Michigan player came ACROSS the field and past both blockers to knock Poole out. Seriously just getting a hand on him or making him take a half step would have resulted in a TD. Stupid.

concerned
08-27-2015, 01:04 PM
It was this game. Poole was streaking down the sideline with two receivers there to block, but they were looking at Poole instead of looking to block. A Michigan player came ACROSS the field and past both blockers to knock Poole out. Seriously just getting a hand on him or making him take a half step would have resulted in a TD. Stupid.

Al;so, Dres released his block on that guy way too early. He never should have been able to make it across the field. A lesson for every receiver.

SoCalPat
08-27-2015, 01:10 PM

I would say our offense has been adequate in openers against FBS teams. Outliers are 2006 UCLA (in which Utah couldn't convert a third down) and 2007 Oregon State (when we lost our starting QB and RB in the first quarter).

2005 Arizona, scored 27, but had a pick-6 from Weddle. Defense fatigued late in this game, a common theme in Kyle's first year

2006-07, already noted

2008: Michigan. Scored 25, most in the first half. Again, Michigan surged late thanks to a turnover and blocked punt in our own end of the field.

2009: Utah State. Scored 35 on 519 yards offense, both numbers being the most ever in FBS opener under Kyle. But with that yardage, you should score more than 33 points (Utah tacked on a safety late). Yes, it was USU, but we were also going up against Gary with a new QB and several new cogs on offense.

2010: Pittsburgh, scored 27, 24 in regulation. 405 yards total offense. Lots of penalties. Scoreless first quarter for both teams.

2013: Utah State, scored 30 with 450 yards total offense. Scored two TDs in first quarter, USU owned the next quarter and a half before we used an onside kick to flip the switch.

So in season-opening wins against FBS teams, we're averaging 28.8 points per game. In losses, just 8.5 PPG. I think we're like a lot of teams in Game 1 or Game 12 -- we have moments where we look good, but as Ma'ake says, the enemy has a vote. Rare is the opener a la 2004 Texas A&M, where everything clicks from the opening snap. That's an unrealistic standard.

U-Ute
08-27-2015, 09:22 PM
Jordan Gross vs "Har-bros" Fox Sports 1 spots

I'm driving the bus. (http://amp.twimg.com/v/77d92f59-0574-41ce-aff4-ba7796394551)
No more khakis! (https://amp.twimg.com/v/baad5214-8650-40d4-8e05-a8c7eeb33dc0)

EDIT: I missed on my phone last night that she called the UM coaching staff "Har-bros". :rofl:
EDIT: This appears to be a series. Added one that precedes the action.

U-Ute
08-28-2015, 12:51 PM
The final product...

https://twitter.com/utesequipment/status/637328494158966784

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/28/72967d7c740ecabd1e2da43b045af8c4.jpg

concerned
08-28-2015, 01:14 PM
This is a great idea:

Carter Williams ‏@cwilliamsDN (https://twitter.com/cwilliamsDN) 4m4 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/cwilliamsDN/status/637341223317958656)
Carter Williams retweeted Michael Rueckert
This is spectacular. Utah circulating these big heads of Alex Smith, the QB Harbaugh once benched, for Michigan game
Carter Williams added,
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CNhI_5LUYAALIET.jpg

Michael Rueckert @MichaelRueckert@Holli_Alexa @cwilliamsDN It's happening. Photo is him in his Fiesta Bowl Champs hat

U-Ute
08-28-2015, 01:27 PM
This is a great idea:

Carter Williams ‏@cwilliamsDN (https://twitter.com/cwilliamsDN) 4m4 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/cwilliamsDN/status/637341223317958656)
Carter Williams retweeted Michael Rueckert
This is spectacular. Utah circulating these big heads of Alex Smith, the QB Harbaugh once benched, for Michigan game
Carter Williams added,

Thread title now more relevant.

LA Ute
08-29-2015, 03:38 PM
We ought to rename the thread: Utah vs. Harbaugh. No one in the media is talking about the Michigan team. It's all about Jim.

NorthwestUteFan
08-29-2015, 04:17 PM
There was a thread on this on r/cfb. Essentially Alex Smith has Jim Harbaugh to thank for his current $45M contract at KC.

It might be more effective to have a pic of Jim Harbaugh throwing a hissy fit.

Also on that thread: the byu-P beat Michigan in the 1984 Holiday Bowl largely because Jim Harbaugh was injured for the end of the season and didn't play.

chrisrenrut
08-31-2015, 12:27 AM
It's going to be a long, short week leading up to this game. Then I'm sure it will be a short, long weekend.

Right now, looks like perfect weather is forecast, mostly clear, with highs in the. 80's an low in the 60's. I love the feeling of riding the motorcycle home from a game in a cool breeze after a win.

Diehard Ute
08-31-2015, 08:31 AM
Some Michigan fans are thinking they'll have 15,000 fans at the game. Bless their little hearts (one also said it's a 'rule' they get 5,000 tickets)

UTEopia
08-31-2015, 08:36 AM
It appears from reading this and other message boards that Ute fans are pretty confident in a win this Thursday. I wish my win confidence was higher, but I give the Utes about a 55% chance of winning. I think the main advantage we have over Michigan is the kicking game and I think we will need it. My guess is that the score at the end of the first half is Utah 9 Michigan 7. Both teams kick field goals in the 3rd quarter and the Utes finally score a TD early in the 4th quarter to go ahead 19-10. Michigan makes another FG to cut the score to 19-13 and is driving towards the end zone with about 2:00 minutes left. Harbaugh chooses to go for it on 4th and 3 at the Utah 30 and the defense holds. The Utes score a late TD when Booker breaks several tackles and goes 50 yards to seal the victory.

Despite the victory, Ute message boards light up with inflammatory posts about everything from the color of the helmets to Travis Wilson's release.

DrumNFeather
08-31-2015, 08:45 AM
It appears from reading this and other message boards that Ute fans are pretty confident in a win this Thursday. I wish my win confidence was higher, but I give the Utes about a 55% chance of winning. I think the main advantage we have over Michigan is the kicking game and I think we will need it. My guess is that the score at the end of the first half is Utah 9 Michigan 7. Both teams kick field goals in the 3rd quarter and the Utes finally score a TD early in the 4th quarter to go ahead 19-10. Michigan makes another FG to cut the score to 19-13 and is driving towards the end zone with about 2:00 minutes left. Harbaugh chooses to go for it on 4th and 3 at the Utah 30 and the defense holds. The Utes score a late TD when Booker breaks several tackles and goes 50 yards to seal the victory.

Despite the victory, Ute message boards light up with inflammatory posts about everything from the color of the helmets to Travis Wilson's release.

It's such an interesting game to start the season with. Given all of the Harbaugh talk, it is almost, almost like the Alabama game in 2008. Obviously, the stakes are not as big...but everyone is talking about our opponent and we have an opportunity on national stage to completely change that narrative. Now, sure, should Michigan win it's all about Harbaugh and what he's done. Should they lose, it's about how much work he has ahead of him. Nevertheless, this is a big chance for our Utes to start the season off with a big win on a national stage that, I think, puts them on a different trajectory heading into Pac 12 play, even if Michigan ends up not being very good.

I use the cliche that we are playing with "house money" frequently. Given that this is a home game on a big stage against a big name coach and a big name program, this does have a bit of a house money feel to me.

I think Booker has a monster day, and our D forces some big turnovers to preserve a win.

SoCalPat
08-31-2015, 09:11 AM
I'm not sure about that. Alex and the Niners were finally coming into their own when Harbaugh arrived. I know the narrative is that he turned them around, but I think a lot of coaches could have succeeded with that Niners team. They were loaded.

On the other hand, if Harbaugh doesn't bench Alex, both Smith and Harbaugh might still be in San Fran wearing rings on their fingers.

The Niners started 0-5 in 2010 and finished 6-10. In 2011, Alex posted career bests across the board and the Niners made it to the NFC title game. I've yet to hear anyone with a national platform suggest what you're suggesting. Harbaugh has been a raging success at every spot he's been at, across multiple FBS/FCS levels and in the pros.

What we have going for us is it's usually taken him a season in the college game to get everything put together. The flip side to that is Michigan will always be in better shape as a program than Stanford, and that he might not need a year to make some huge waves. Regardless, I think Thursday is too early for Harbaugh's efforts to bear fruit.

SoCalPat
08-31-2015, 09:21 AM
I'm feeling better about this game, because quick research on UM fan suggests their improvement this year is relying first and foremost on Harbaugh's presence. Not nearly enough attention paid to the fact our D-line is the best unit on the field, hands down and no point in debating. If that plays out Thursday and we don't have a catastrophic night with turnovers, Utah wins this game. We're too good in special teams and on the offensive line for us not to get in the 20-24 point range needed to win.

mUUser
08-31-2015, 09:49 AM
....I think a lot of coaches could have succeeded with that Niners team......

I've always felt coaching means everything, but especially at the college level. I'm convinced Urban could take Shawn Bradley plus 21 squirrel monkeys and win a championship within 3 years.

I believe Harbaugh is in that super elite class of coaches. He can do things other simply cannot.

U-Ute
08-31-2015, 10:02 AM
Depth chart for game:
Three freshmen WRs still on the two deep. No Tim Patrick or Raelon Singleton.

Wow. Tyrone Smith getting the nod. This will be interesting.

LA Ute
08-31-2015, 10:03 AM
I've always felt coaching means everything, but especially at the college level. I'm convinced Urban could take Shawn Bradley plus 21 squirrel monkeys and win a championship within 3 years.

I believe Harbaugh is in that super elite class of coaches. He can do things other simply cannot.

I think basketball coaches in college have a greater impact than football coaches. As for Urban, as much as I love the guy it does seem to be true that he has never accepted a new job at a program that didn't have a full cupboard of talent. Utah, Florida, Ohio State. When he took the Florida job he turned down Notre Dame because the Irish program was short on talent. (This is just according to what I've heard and read. I haven't studied the talent at each school and really am not qualified to judge it anyway.)

Damage U
08-31-2015, 10:16 AM
Depth chart for game:

Three freshmen WRs still on the two deep. No Tim Patrick or Raelon Singleton.

Isn't Patrick still injured?

LA Ute
08-31-2015, 10:17 AM
Isn't Patrick still injured?

Last I heard he was not 100%.

U-Ute
08-31-2015, 02:20 PM
Harbaugh tries to simulate The Muss (http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/2015/08/23/rudock-commands-first-team-student-only-um-practice/32223129/)

Interesting to note the increased utilization of the tight end. Our LB's will have their hands full.

concerned
09-01-2015, 08:18 AM
FWIW the BTN pronosticators pick Utah 4-0, and Nebraska 3-1.

http://btn.com/2015/08/31/week-1-see-our-predictions-for-all-14-big-ten-football-games/

UtahsMrSports
09-01-2015, 08:35 AM
Wow. Tyrone Smith getting the nod. This will be interesting.

I think we will see a ton of rotation in the early games, just to see who is a "gamer". Hopefully someone steps up as a legitimate target opposite Scott.

DrumNFeather
09-01-2015, 08:40 AM
I think we will see a ton of rotation in the early games, just to see who is a "gamer". Hopefully someone steps up as a legitimate target opposite Scott.

I'm a bit surprised they haven't penciled in McClellon in that spot because of his speed. Hopefully this means that Smith is legit.

UtahsMrSports
09-01-2015, 09:01 AM
I'm a bit surprised they haven't penciled in McClellon in that spot because of his speed. Hopefully this means that Smith is legit.

I remember reading that the OC's said Delshawn has too many ups and downs. Hopefully, as a redshirt junior, he can be more consistent to give us that threat we need downfield.

SoCalPat
09-01-2015, 01:39 PM
I think basketball coaches in college have a greater impact than football coaches. As for Urban, as much as I love the guy it does seem to be true that he has never accepted a new job at a program that didn't have a full cupboard of talent. Utah, Florida, Ohio State. When he took the Florida job he turned down Notre Dame because the Irish program was short on talent. (This is just according to what I've heard and read. I haven't studied the talent at each school and really am not qualified to judge it anyway.)

There's always talent at Notre Dame. Urban passed on Notre Dame because it's one of the five most stringent academic schools in FBS. It also doesn't redshirt incoming freshmen. The players can often get that fifth year back, but it's by no means a rubber-stamped process and it's a process entirely out of the coach's hands.

Redbird
09-01-2015, 07:15 PM
I love being on the East Coast, and it's awesome for European soccer, but it sucks for college football.

I'm guessing 8 of 12 Utah games will be televised after 8pm. I know the Fresno game kicks off at 10pm.

Looking forward to it, though.

DrumNFeather
09-01-2015, 07:37 PM
I love being on the East Coast, and it's awesome for European soccer, but it sucks for college football.

I'm guessing 8 of 12 Utah games will be televised after 8pm. I know the Fresno game kicks off at 10pm.

Where'd you land? Good to see you on here!

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Redbird
09-01-2015, 08:04 PM
Where'd you land? Good to see you on here!

Portland, Maine. I need to spend more time here, I miss talking Utah and CFB.

NorthwestUteFan
09-01-2015, 08:21 PM
I miss Portland and New England. Beautiful area. Even the wicked cold winters are tempered by the bright sun and blue skies in between storms.

It was tough during football season, though. All we had was BC (with Matt Ryan) and the Chip Kelly-led UNH Wildcats. I only got to watch two Utah games, plus the bowl games when I was there.

The Hockey East Frozen Four tournament is a lot of fun.

Redbird
09-01-2015, 08:30 PM
I miss Portland and New England. Beautiful area. Even the wicked cold winters are tempered by the bright sun and blue skies in between storms.

It was tough during football season, though. All we had was BC (with Matt Ryan) and the Chip Kelly-led UNH Wildcats. I only got to watch two Utah games, plus the bowl games when I was there.

The Hockey East Frozen Four tournament is a lot of fun.

Yeah, the wife's in med school, so we've only been able to explore Portland proper. But we have a Boston trip planned over Christmas break. The humidity has been a huge adjustment for both of us, but for the most part the month we've been here has been very pleasant. I'm really looking forward to some AHL hockey.

LA Ute
09-01-2015, 09:12 PM

Nice to see you here, Redbird! We've missed you.

NorthwestUteFan
09-01-2015, 09:26 PM
Is she at Tufts? (Maine Medical Center)

Don't wait, drive around the area before it freezes. Acadia National Park is worth a day trip. Find the local lobster pounds. Lobster was cheaper than steak, so we had it often. Get to know people/neighbors/friends, because everybody when the world freezes everybody will coccoon indoors and become very insular.

Enjoy the changing seasons. The leaves are spectacular, and once they drop you can actually see where you are going.

Redbird
09-02-2015, 05:33 AM
Is she at Tufts? (Maine Medical Center)

Don't wait, drive around the area before it freezes. Acadia National Park is worth a day trip. Find the local lobster pounds. Lobster was cheaper than steak, so we had it often. Get to know people/neighbors/friends, because everybody when the world freezes everybody will coccoon indoors and become very insular.

Enjoy the changing seasons. The leaves are spectacular, and once they drop you can actually see where you are going.

Univ of New England in Biddeford. We are going to use Labor Day weekend to see the beach and probably one other thing before work gets busy for me and she's knee-deep in school.

Applejack
09-02-2015, 07:56 AM
Univ of New England in Biddeford. We are going to use Labor Day weekend to see the beach and probably one other thing before work gets busy for me and she's knee-deep in school.

Portland! A great town if you like the outdoors, seafood, or burnt out hippies. There are some great restaurants in Portland (I honestly don't know how such a small city supports them all) and if you are interested I can drop you some recommendations offline.

Welcome to the East Coast and college football kickoff purgatory!

U-Ute
09-02-2015, 08:08 AM
This looks quite nice. We should do this more often.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/02/f7e0713fc18e1d8d7618eec14f6b2ec7.jpg

U-Ute
09-02-2015, 08:16 AM
@utahathletics: Don't miss @UtahCoachWhitt live on @CollegeGameDay this morning at 10:30 a.m. MT! #goutes @Utah_Football

U-Ute
09-02-2015, 08:21 AM
Ticket prices up to $400.

http://www.sltrib.com/blogs/uofusports/2901210-155/price-of-tickets-rises-to-nearly?fullpage=1

NorthwestUteFan
09-02-2015, 08:29 AM

There are a lot of fabulous beaches between Ogunquit and Portland. But after Labor Day weekend they will board up the shops and restaurants for the winter, and the only time you will see activity on the beach is around a winter storm when all the die-hard surfers come to play. Due to the clockwise rotation of the currents the water at the New England Atlantic beaches is significantly warmer than at the same latitude on the Pacific, but it is still damn cold during the winter. A 6mm wetsuit or a dry suit is mandatory. But in the summer it is very pleasant, particularly on the wicked hot days (100*+, 100% humidity).

NorthwestUteFan
09-02-2015, 08:33 AM
Now back to football!

This has been a long offseason. I can't wait for tomorrow, and hope to see some new aspects in the offense. I kind of fear that our receivers will be forced to run the same play on every down, again, because we have the same passing coordinator again. But the eternal optimist in me is telling me that Dave C was the cause of all of our problems last year and deserves none of the credit for the successes. So I will put in one last, post hoc "Screw that guy!".

DrumNFeather
09-02-2015, 08:35 AM
Now back to football!

This has been a long offseason. I can't wait for tomorrow, and hope to see some new aspects in the offense. I kind of fear that our receivers will be forced to run the same play on every down, again, because we have the same passing coordinator again. But the eternal optimist in me is telling me that Dave C was the cause of all of our problems last year and deserves none of the credit for the successes. So I will put in one last, post hoc "Screw that guy!".

There's nothing quite like the first game of the year. It's been a long off-season and I'm excited to see the 2015 Utes in action. Questions, we have a few, but we still have a strong defense and the right guy at the helm. Tomorrow should be fun.

NorthwestUteFan
09-02-2015, 08:41 AM
I hope we don't come out flat like the last few years. The Oh-fense performance for the North Colorado and Idaho State games the last few years was less than impressive. I want to see explosions! (I know we will struggle vs Michigan, but hold out hope that we will find the right combinations a few times).

DrumNFeather
09-02-2015, 08:47 AM
I hope we don't come out flat like the last few years. The Oh-fense performance for the North Colorado and Idaho State games the last few years was less than impressive. I want to see explosions! (I know we will struggle vs Michigan, but hold out hope that we will find the right combinations a few times).

I get the sense that A-Rod wants to throw down field...I just hope our QB can get it there (he can) and our WRs can go up and get it (not so sure).

NorthwestUteFan
09-02-2015, 09:07 AM
Hopefully TW will lead the receivers into the wide-open green areas of the field, rather than throw directly at the coverage.

Mano
09-02-2015, 09:20 AM
I get the sense that A-Rod wants to throw down field...I just hope our QB can get it there (he can) and our WRs can go up and get it (not so sure).

I just hope that when the QB gets it there the receivers catch the ball. Drops really killed the offense last year.

concerned
09-02-2015, 09:35 AM
I just hope that when the QB gets it there the receivers catch the ball. Drops really killed the offense last year.

And I also hope the receivers, especially the freshman (at least one of whom was playing cb a week ago) run the right routes so they will be in a position to catch the ball.

Damage U
09-02-2015, 09:52 AM
This looks quite nice. We should do this more often.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/02/f7e0713fc18e1d8d7618eec14f6b2ec7.jpg

I like ours better.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CN53aksUsAA_xEJ.jpg

UtahsMrSports
09-02-2015, 09:58 AM
Id like to officially apologize to all of you. I will be in attendance tomorrow night and as a general rule, the team can sense when I am present and they all think "Hey! UtahsMrSports is here! Its time to fall apart!"

I went to Wazzu and Arizona last year.

U-Ute
09-02-2015, 10:10 AM
Id like to officially apologize to all of you. I will be in attendance tomorrow night and as a general rule, the team can sense when I am present and they all think "Hey! UtahsMrSports is here! Its time to fall apart!"

That means you're due! Guaranteed to be a winner!

Diehard Ute
09-02-2015, 10:39 AM
Just perused a Michigan board.

Their fans are looking for any reason to feel disrespected. It's comical.

They're also very upset that Utah believes they have a chance to even keep the game close. Let alone win.

Harbaugh has certainly made them rather blind to their recent history.

DrumNFeather
09-02-2015, 10:45 AM

They're also very upset that Utah believes they have a chance to even keep the game close. Let alone win.

Would love to see a long sustained opening drive (but I'd also take the Savoy play vs. A&M a few years back) to start the game. Or, a 3 and out by the D would be just fine.

LA Ute
09-02-2015, 11:05 AM

By coming forward so bravely, you have now reversed the jinx. Peace and victory be upon you.

SoCalPat
09-02-2015, 11:11 AM

What board is this?

NorthwestUteFan
09-02-2015, 11:16 AM

They can take their $150M athletic Dept budget and shove it up their entitled asses.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-02-2015, 11:32 AM
I think we win.

Diehard Ute
09-02-2015, 11:35 AM
What board is this?

MGoBlog

http://mgoblog.com/mgoboard/little-fuel-fire-perhaps

To be fair quite a few have said there's nothing wrong with what Kyle said, and that it was true.

But as you'll see some have gone entirely the other way.

There's also a handful of posters who believe they'll have 10,000 to 15,000 fans in the stadium. (Some of that is in other threads, their board has been hard for me to navigate, so it's hard to find the other good threads)

SoCalPat
09-02-2015, 11:39 AM
MGoBlog

http://mgoblog.com/mgoboard/little-fuel-fire-perhaps

To be fair quite a few have said there's nothing wrong with what Kyle said, and that it was true.

But as you'll see some have gone entirely the other way.

There's also a handful of posters who believe they'll have 10,000 to 15,000 fans in the stadium. (Some of that is in other threads, their board has been hard for me to navigate, so it's hard to find the other good threads)

I've been there. From your description, it's the Big 10's version of CB. But a season prediction thread had many losing to Utah, even with some seeing a 10-2 season for Michigan.

As far as traditional powers go, Michigan is giving us plenty of respect.

Diehard Ute
09-02-2015, 12:16 PM
I've been there. From your description, it's the Big 10's version of CB. But a season prediction thread had many losing to Utah, even with some seeing a 10-2 season for Michigan.

As far as traditional powers go, Michigan is giving us plenty of respect.

It all depends on the thread. Some have given us a lot, others have been the crass version of CB

concerned
09-02-2015, 12:55 PM
I'm watching the Michigan defense do a walkthrough right outside my office window.

Diehard Ute
09-02-2015, 01:10 PM
I'm watching the Michigan defense do a walkthrough right outside my office window.

So is David James

https://twitter.com/daviddjjames/status/639150069267083264

Did someone not tell Harbaugh the Gallivan center is not submarine friendly?

concerned
09-02-2015, 01:13 PM
So is David James

I took a photo from that same angle and texted it to my son and a grad asst came running over and told me to put my phone away or leave. I got into it a bit with him. Harbough is more paranoid than I would have thought.

Diehard Ute
09-02-2015, 01:18 PM
I took a photo from that same angle and texted it to my son and a grad asst came running over and told me to put my phone away or leave. I got into it a bit with him. Harbough is more paranoid than I would have thought.

It's public property. They can't tell anyone to do anything. Perhaps someone forgot to tell them they didn't leave the U.S. haha

SoCalPat
09-02-2015, 01:35 PM

That's hilarious. I would've told him to go pound sand.

Diehard Ute
09-02-2015, 01:36 PM

You can actually hear someone telling people to stop filming in David James video. Cracks me up.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-02-2015, 01:42 PM
You should have asked, "Isn't this one of them flash mobs?"

concerned
09-02-2015, 01:48 PM

I basically did, but more politely. I said it was a public plaza and I could stay and take pictures if I wanted. I also told him that I had no connection to the team and was taking it to text to my son. He accuesed me of "disrespecting these young men" by taking a picture and told me I was acting fidgety and nervous and basically accused me of acting suspiciously, he eventually walked away.

Here's the photo. I hope it provides the winning advantage

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/eyWbQe9hxMVf6NwjdUtN4XFIuV8-zCBvKROYb41L8Mmn=w1769-h995-no

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-02-2015, 02:00 PM
I basically did, but more politely. I said it was a public plaza and I could stay and take pictures if I wanted. I also told him that I had no connection to the team and was taking it to text to my son. He accuesed me of "disrespecting these young men" by taking a picture and told me I was acting fidgety and nervous and basically accused me of acting suspiciously, he eventually walked away.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/eyWbQe9hxMVf6NwjdUtN4XFIuV8-zCBvKROYb41L8Mmn=w1769-h995-no

I'm a little worried about the guy on the knee scooter.

concerned
09-02-2015, 02:05 PM
You can actually hear someone telling people to stop filming in David James video. Cracks me up.

The really funny thing is that the plaza is right next to David James studio. Good way to keep it under wraps.

wally
09-02-2015, 02:06 PM

Dude, were you so fidgety because you realized how close you were to Jim Harbaugh? I would be straight-up trembling!

Damage U
09-02-2015, 02:14 PM
I would have wet my khakis!

LA Ute
09-02-2015, 02:17 PM
He...told me I was acting fidgety and nervous and basically accused me of acting suspiciously, he eventually walked away.

Well, were you?

Diehard Ute
09-02-2015, 02:19 PM
Well, were you?

Objection. Those two things alone are not reason to stop someone your honor ;)

concerned
09-02-2015, 02:21 PM
Well, were you?

I respectfully decline to answer that question and to assert my Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination.

Two Utes
09-02-2015, 02:22 PM
I'm a little worried about the guy on the knee scooter.

I am guessing that is Bryan Mone

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-02-2015, 02:24 PM
He accuesed me of "disrespecting these young men" by taking a picture and told me I was acting fidgety and nervous and basically accused me of acting suspiciously, he eventually walked away.

Two Utes
09-02-2015, 02:28 PM
So is David James

And I am also going to go ahead and guess they are staying at the Gallivan Marriott. Maybe I iwll see some of them as I make my way down to see my good friends at the Scott M Matheson Courthouse this afternoon

concerned
09-02-2015, 02:33 PM
And I am also going to go ahead and guess they are staying at the Gallivan Marriott. Maybe I iwll see some of them as I make my way down to see my good friends at the Scott M Matheson Courthouse this afternoon

They are. When they ended, they all went back into the hotel. You should use your HH connections to go film their practice surreptitiously in 1080 HD.

last year, it seemed most of the Pac 12 teams stayed there too.

UtahsMrSports
09-02-2015, 02:34 PM

hahahahaha! This is awesome!

Diehard Ute
09-02-2015, 02:39 PM
They are. When they ended, they all went back into the hotel. You should use your HH connections to go film their practice surreptitiously in 1080 HD.

last year, it seemed most of the Pac 12 teams stayed there too.

If I remember right the U has a deal with them for visiting teams. (That's the hotel they've used for gymnastics stuff too)

NorthwestUteFan
09-02-2015, 02:56 PM
...the Scott M Matheson Courthouse this afternoon

RIP Port O'Call. (Steve Sarkisian's favorite watering hole back in the day)

Diehard Ute
09-02-2015, 03:13 PM
RIP Port O'Call. (Steve Sarkisian's favorite watering hole back in the day)

Wrong court house, it's the new Federal court that wiped out Port

NorthwestUteFan
09-02-2015, 03:39 PM
Wrong court house, it's the new Federal court that wiped out Port

Still..

justaute
09-02-2015, 08:22 PM
A photo (from my TV) of today's FS1 College Kickoff Show. Michigan was doing the walk-thru.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l164/justaute/Misc/20150902_185021_zps6vmgdowe.jpg

Devildog
09-02-2015, 08:28 PM
A photo (from my TV) of today's FS1 College Kickoff Show. Michigan was doing the walk-thru.

Very cool. The Field House roof looks outstanding. Can't wait for tomorrow.

U-Ute
09-02-2015, 08:33 PM
Time lapse...

http://youtu.be/kLmkcVpDsl0

Diehard Ute
09-02-2015, 08:47 PM

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l164/justaute/Misc/20150902_185021_zps6vmgdowe.jpg

Word from some Michigan folks is Harbaugh was upset with FS1 filming while they were in the stadium

concerned
09-02-2015, 09:53 PM
I walk or run my dog thru sugar house park several nights a week. Of course I went tonight. Runners or bikers would stop at the top of the hill near the international rose garden and look over toward the Michigan practice on the HH field, probably several hundred yards away. They had four security guards inside the fence trying to block a space on the fence where the ivy wasn't growing and anyone could look in. Of course, anyone could look over the fence too. You could see harbough at midfield in his khaki's waving a clipboard (I assume it was he, but it was very far away.) Everytime someone stopped, they yelled "move along" and "no pictures." They had all their busses parked end to end in the HH parking lot to prevent anybody from viewing up there.

They really are paranoid. It was a beautiful evening though. They had a great view of the mountains and the sunset.

Diehard Ute
09-02-2015, 10:19 PM
I walk or run my dog thru sugar house park several nights a week. Of course I went tonight. Runners or bikers would stop at the top of the hill near the international rose garden and look over toward the Michigan practice on the HH field, probably several hundred yards away. They had four security guards inside the fence trying to block a space on the fence where the ivy wasn't growing and anyone could look in. Of course, anyone could look over the fence too. You could see harbough at midfield in his khaki's waving a clipboard (I assume it was he, but it was very far away.) Everytime someone stopped, they yelled "move along" and "no pictures." They had all their busses parked end to end in the HH parking lot to prevent anybody from viewing up there.

They really are paranoid. It was a beautiful evening though. They had a great view of the mountains and the sunset.

Sounds like a nice night to fly your drone in the park

hostile
09-02-2015, 10:56 PM
Sounds like a nice night to fly your drone in the park

I was hanging out after the JV game talking with some other parents. We were asked to vacate the stadium and then they locked the gates behind us. Funny.

Diehard Ute
09-02-2015, 11:00 PM
I was hanging out after the JV game talking with some other parents. We were asked to vacate the stadium and then they locked the gates behind us. Funny.

Guessing they don't know there's live feed surveillance cameras......haha

DrumNFeather
09-03-2015, 07:15 AM
ESPN Insider article, quotes from some coaches:

"I think Utah blows them out," one Power 5 coach said. "We'll see. They're big and physical. I think Michigan will try to play that game and I don't know if they're ready to do that against Utah."

Added another Power 5 coach: "Utah kicks the s--- out of them. It will be very hard for [Michigan]. It's not going to be 38-0, but they're going to beat them."

Sullyute
09-03-2015, 07:33 AM
ESPN Insider article, quotes from some coaches:

Love those quotes! x:)x

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-03-2015, 07:55 AM
A pretty good endorsement this morning in Vegas. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/03/b9c4a5bd7bb13baaa0bdb347cbc8bd24.jpg

LA Ute
09-03-2015, 08:19 AM
I understand that Jim Harbaugh will be coaching one of the teams tonight. Anyone else heard anything about that?

concerned
09-03-2015, 08:23 AM
I understand that Jim Harbaugh will be coaching one of the teams tonight. Anyone else heard anything about that?

which one?

LA Ute
09-03-2015, 09:49 AM
which one?

Does it matter? It's Harbaugh!!

U-Ute
09-03-2015, 11:08 AM
It must be game day. I saw this and for some reason I thought of Harbaugh.

Sullyute
09-03-2015, 11:30 AM
A pretty good endorsement this morning in Vegas. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/03/b9c4a5bd7bb13baaa0bdb347cbc8bd24.jpg

Red sky at night sailors delight, red sky at morning sailors take warning. So this means the Michigan Sailors are going down!

Mormon Red Death
09-03-2015, 11:38 AM

Wow. .. I bet if one of the teams had flipper Anderson son last year on them they might mention that too. but that is just hypothetical.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Rocker Ute
09-03-2015, 01:10 PM

Yeah right this is Las Vegas. First of all... water. Second of all there isn't a single person trying to hand me a flyer for a strip club.

Here, I fixed it for you:

U-Ute
09-03-2015, 01:37 PM
Does it matter? It's Harbaugh!!

I don't think Jim brought a team with him.

At this point I fully expect him to run out onto the field by himself to play the Utes.

SoCalPat
09-03-2015, 02:03 PM
So I'm out on the casino floor this morning (I work in one) and I see a gentleman wearing a Utes ballcap. Shake his hand, tell him Utah's going to win tonight, etc. 10 seconds of chit-chat, tops. Now I've got nothing on me to show my fanhood (obviously), but then the horror of horrors strikes me. I'm wearing a Michigan yellow shirt. And since I'm going to be watching the game on delay, I'll have it on during the game. So if we lose, blame me. If we win, I'll break it out again on for Oregon.

Senioritis
09-03-2015, 02:06 PM
Yeah right this is Las Vegas. First of all... water. Second of all there isn't a single person trying to hand me a flyer for a strip club.

:clap:

Senioritis
09-03-2015, 02:17 PM
So I'm out on the casino floor this morning (I work in one) and I see a gentleman wearing a Utes ballcap. Shake his hand, tell him Utah's going to win tonight, etc. 10 seconds of chit-chat, tops. Now I've got nothing on me to show my fanhood (obviously), but then the horror of horrors strikes me. I'm wearing a Michigan yellow shirt. And since I'm going to be watching the game on delay, I'll have it on during the game. So if we lose, blame me. If we win, I'll break it out again on for Oregon.

SCP at work?

Applejack
09-03-2015, 02:19 PM
SCP at work?

He didn't say anything about a blue parasol.

SoCalPat
09-03-2015, 02:31 PM
SCP at work?

You're just cold, brother. Ice cold.

NorthwestUteFan
09-03-2015, 02:49 PM
SoCalPatty?

LA Ute
09-03-2015, 03:01 PM

https://media4.giphy.com/media/10FHR5A4cXqVrO/200_s.gif

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-03-2015, 03:38 PM

Ha. Taken about a half mile behind Sam Boyd stadium in the Clark County Wetlands Park. Still inside, although barely, Vegas city limits. We've replaced our strippers with stripers.

SoCalPat
09-03-2015, 03:48 PM
SoCalPatty?

Go ahead. Laugh it up.

NorthwestUteFan
09-03-2015, 03:58 PM
Go ahead. Laugh it up.

I'm done. You know I love you.

And now I know where to send all those yellow shirts my grandma gave me for birthdays.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-03-2015, 04:00 PM
Listening to the radio and they mentioned that Paul has been limping around all fall camp. This is the first that I've heard that his foot was still bothering him. Is that just the nature of his injury and will nag him through a long recovery? Is this enough to cause some concern about him?

chrisrenrut
09-03-2015, 05:02 PM
Up at the stadium. There are lots of Michigan fans walking around. The Field House roof looks amazing.

LA Ute
09-03-2015, 05:43 PM
Hackett warming up.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/03/63be815473e24a61372bd2bde0821b80.jpg

LA Ute
09-03-2015, 05:44 PM
That roof is awesome.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/03/e8c60a25ec6829cb870d5749cead84dd.jpg

LA Ute
09-03-2015, 05:46 PM
Phillips warming up. Sorry it's not a great pic.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/03/7ebfbcad98039427741d647611fd65a6.jpg

Redbird
09-03-2015, 05:56 PM
That all-white look for Michigan with the stripe down the leg is sharp.

I like the satin finish on the Utah helmets, but I don't like the red facemasks.

Devildog
09-03-2015, 06:16 PM
FS1 pregame is the Jim Harbaugh show... but that's no surprise. The campus shots look great. GO UTES!

Brian
09-03-2015, 06:28 PM
It's like Christmas morning when I was 6 years old!!!!

go Utes!

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-03-2015, 06:31 PM
Hackett warming up.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/03/63be815473e24a61372bd2bde0821b80.jpg

Nice seat. Looks like you're the lucky fan that gets phone coverage this game!!!!

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-03-2015, 06:32 PM
I hear booing!

Redbird
09-03-2015, 06:38 PM
Great blocking from Moeai on the Booker swing pass.

Redbird
09-03-2015, 06:42 PM
Trim Bubba Poole is smooth. Peak Brent Casteel, if I may say so.

DrumNFeather
09-03-2015, 06:47 PM
Nice opening drive. Get into a rhythm. Set the tone.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-03-2015, 06:49 PM
Come on 3 and out!

Redbird
09-03-2015, 06:52 PM
Nice read by J-Whit, but gotta wrap up.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-03-2015, 06:53 PM
Come on, Paul!

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-03-2015, 06:59 PM
Cbb!!!!

Redbird
09-03-2015, 07:00 PM
Great job mixing up the look right before the ball was snapped. Poor throw all around; the back found the soft spot in the zone, the QB just missed.

Devildog
09-03-2015, 07:02 PM
Settle down let's play our game. Let's go Utes! nice stop,

Devildog
09-03-2015, 07:03 PM
Booker's gotta break it open soon.

Redbird
09-03-2015, 07:04 PM
Gotta figure it out between the tackles. That LT got owned on 3rd down.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-03-2015, 07:05 PM
Our o-line isn't just not getting any push, they've been in the back field every run.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-03-2015, 07:09 PM
Receivers.

DrumNFeather
09-03-2015, 07:21 PM
That may have been a crossing rout...

OrangeUte
09-03-2015, 07:23 PM
Yes! Caught up with the live game. We need 7here.

OrangeUte
09-03-2015, 07:24 PM
Covey almost scores. I like this guy!

DrumNFeather
Cooovey...is Rick Majerus calling this game?

OrangeUte
Touchdown booker!!!!!!!!!!

DrumNFeather
Boom

OrangeUte
09-03-2015, 07:25 PM
Dammit I want to be there.

Brian
09-03-2015, 07:26 PM
No huddle. What else did they change? Seems like better along the line.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-03-2015, 07:27 PM
Touchdown booker!!!!!!!!!!

Yikes. Looks like that ball almost came out.

Devildog
Hell Yeah Utah!

Redbird
Excellent job. Speed up the pace, give Wilson easy reads against man coverage, and it opened up space for Booker.

Doesn't hurt that Covey ran some precise routes on that drive, befuddling his defender.

Redbird
09-03-2015, 07:32 PM
Great job collapsing the pocket. Didn't get even a knockdown, but it forced an errant throw.

Devildog
09-03-2015, 07:32 PM
Nice three and out, GO D!

Devildog
09-03-2015, 07:37 PM
Let's go D!

DrumNFeather
09-03-2015, 07:48 PM
Semiautomatic Andy

Redbird
09-03-2015, 07:52 PM
Great job by the defense. Now we have a great opportunity with all 3 time-outs and 2 minutes left

Redbird
09-03-2015, 07:55 PM
Ick. Credit to Michigan, they're tackling well, but at this rate we're going to leave a TO in our pocket and it will be another tough FG.

DrumNFeather
09-03-2015, 08:00 PM
Slug fest so far. Too many drops.

tooblue
09-03-2015, 08:02 PM
If Michigan could get any kind of QB play they would be in this game. But it's over. Utah will win.

Devildog
09-03-2015, 08:04 PM
Half time adjustments Kyle. Win this damn game Utes!

justaute
09-03-2015, 08:04 PM
First, I understand it's the first game of the season. That said, year after year, I read about how our o-line is a strength of the team. I just don't see it -- at least not so far.

DrumNFeather
09-03-2015, 08:05 PM
I bet we'll see Covey run that reverse sweep.

DrumNFeather
09-03-2015, 08:06 PM
No sacks in the first half...need to fix that.

tooblue
09-03-2015, 08:08 PM
First, I understand it's the first game of the season. That said, year after year, I read about how our o-line is a strength of the team. I just don't see it -- at least not so far.

Michigan's D line is stout. They are playing well. Michigan has made the decision that Travis Wilson will have to beat them. So far, Travis Wilson, and Utah's defensive front seven are doing just that.

justaute
09-03-2015, 08:11 PM
Michigan's D line is stout. They are playing well. Michigan has made the decision that Travis Wilson will have to beat them. So far, Travis Wilson, and Utah's defensive front seven are doing just that.

I get that and was aware UM has terrific front 7. Still, I'd like to see more, especially bases on what I have read.

And, yes, apparently Sack Lake City has been deserted.

Devildog
09-03-2015, 08:31 PM
Incomplete!

DrumNFeather
09-03-2015, 08:32 PM
Let's put a drive together

Devildog
09-03-2015, 08:32 PM
Go O!

NorthwestUteFan
09-03-2015, 08:33 PM
We need to get that 5 yd quick slant back in the Playbook. They forgot how to run that over the last 7 years...

Devildog
09-03-2015, 08:36 PM
movin'n the chains

Devildog
09-03-2015, 08:40 PM
Sorry, Jameson.

DrumNFeather
09-03-2015, 08:41 PM
Crossing routes...TEs...what is this offense?!?!

NorthwestUteFan
09-03-2015, 08:44 PM
Awesome. looking good now.

Redbird
09-03-2015, 08:45 PM
effin A, cotton. Effin A.

masterful.

DrumNFeather
Atta boy Travis!

Devildog
Touchdown!

justaute
09-03-2015, 08:48 PM
Travis!

AnestheUte
09-03-2015, 08:50 PM
I'm loving the way the offensive play calling is going. Imagine if Booker really got going...

Devildog
09-03-2015, 08:52 PM
Lets go Utah!

DrumNFeather
09-03-2015, 08:57 PM
When you have a hairdo like Smith, you better run hard.

AnestheUte
09-03-2015, 08:59 PM
When you have a hairdo like Smith, you better run hard.

Seriously... early 90's much? What is that even called?

Redbird
09-03-2015, 09:02 PM
Good god, Paul just cost his team at least 4 points, if not 7.

DrumNFeather
09-03-2015, 09:03 PM
Paul...

AnestheUte
Yep, that is directly on Gionni

Devildog
Damn that was stupid.

justaute
09-03-2015, 09:04 PM
What a low-IQ play...two tonight. Maybe it's a character thing.

Devildog
09-03-2015, 09:05 PM
We are still gonna win.

justaute
09-03-2015, 09:08 PM
We are still gonna win.

Hope so. Perhaps Paul does not deserve to wear that C on his chest.

Devildog
09-03-2015, 09:15 PM
First game bro, we got this.

DrumNFeather
09-03-2015, 09:16 PM
Momentum swinging just a bit. Need a stop.

Redbird
09-03-2015, 09:16 PM
Woof. Based on how their offense has moved the ball the last two drives, that does not bode well.

Devildog
09-03-2015, 09:17 PM
We got this!

Redbird
09-03-2015, 09:21 PM
Holy shit touchdown utah

DrumNFeather
Momentum swinging just a bit. Need a stop.

Yep, that will do.

Devildog
Pick fuckin'six!

AnestheUte
09-03-2015, 09:22 PM
Thank you very much Mr. Rudock. Mr. Thomas will pick your six.

Mormon Red Death
09-03-2015, 09:23 PM
Hell yeah

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Solon
09-03-2015, 09:24 PM
Paul owes Thomas a dinner.
I expect to see a graphic on the TV that says "First Pick-6 of the Harbaugh Era."

Devildog
09-03-2015, 09:26 PM
:uzi:

Brian
09-03-2015, 09:33 PM
I expect to see a graphic on the TV that says "First Pick-6 of the Harbaugh Era."
:clap::clap:

Devildog
We got this!

justaute
Paul owes Thomas a dinner.

At least...haha.

Brian
09-03-2015, 09:36 PM
Kalani who?

justaute
Hell of a 4th down stand.

NorthwestUteFan
Awesome.

tooblue
09-03-2015, 09:37 PM
Normally I don't really care about these kind of things, but the Jim Harbaugh show has gotten really old.

NorthwestUteFan
09-03-2015, 09:38 PM
I am happy to be the cause of ending the Harbaugj fellating.

justaute
09-03-2015, 09:41 PM
Man...our WR cannot block Pepper at all. He's a hell of a player.

Devildog
09-03-2015, 09:42 PM
stupid ass spot from the refs again. You would think that's normal.

DrumNFeather
09-03-2015, 09:45 PM
Well jeez.

justaute
09-03-2015, 09:46 PM
Well jeez.

Yah...a little too easy.

Devildog
09-03-2015, 09:47 PM
We got this.

DrumNFeather
09-03-2015, 09:52 PM
Lots to improve on...much better to do that after a W.

Devildog
09-03-2015, 09:57 PM
Love Kyle.... Love Kyle!

Solon
09-03-2015, 10:01 PM
Great post game interview.
Utes controlled that second half. Wilson looked really good. A lot to build on here.

AnestheUte
09-03-2015, 10:02 PM
A good win. They stood tall and delivered when it counted, but there are a lot of little things to clean up.

No more mental errors for Paul

Need some more physical run blocking for Booker

Better blocking from our receivers

We need to keep the pressure on the QB more (I saw some hurries and hits, but no sacks... did I miss one?)

Lots more, but that's my starter list.

DrumNFeather
09-03-2015, 10:03 PM
Glad to see Thomas carry the ball well across the goaline before dropping it.

Solon
09-03-2015, 10:05 PM
Glad to see Thomas carry the ball well across the goaline before dropping it.

Ha. I noticed that too.
missing kicks & committing penalties made me flash back to the McBride years.
glad to see the Utes choke them out.

SoCalPat
09-03-2015, 10:42 PM
Great game, great ending. Nothing really surprised me, save for Andy's two missed FGs. We can't have that.

Worried about A-Rod calling plays. Relied on too many screens. Worked once early, rarely worked thereafter.

Tonight was a vindication for people who hate hype. Harbaugh is not a miracle worker, because Utah's dominance this year differed very little from last. And hopefully, the Heisman talk about Booker calms down a bit. Check that, it shouldn't even exist. He's a good back. One of the 10 best in the nation? Maybe. Heisman candidate? Get real.

Pac-12 fans deserve much better than Joel Klatt as a color man. Questioning Kyle's M.O. at the end of the first half was silly. It's never changed. Utah had three timeouts and over a minute left, and he's wondering what we're doing running on 2nd and medium. Kyle is always looking to get that one first down, then he opens things up. And on the third down that preceded the fourth down stop, where the Michigan QB slipped, it was clear his elbow hit the turf. Questioning the spot there was silly.

I was screaming at the Utah staff, replay booth, anyone, to review that catch that was (rightly) overturned. Your player has the best view of any incomplete pass, and Paul was pretty quick (albeit somewhat restrained) to say the pass was incomplete. Harbaugh is screaming at his team to hurry up -- it screamed for a review, and sometimes, you gotta burn a timeout there to get review to look at it a second time. They'll give it back, so there's nothing lost there.

Booker gets the advance billing, but that doesn't change the fact that the QB is the most important single player on the field, and we won tonight because Travis was pretty damn good, and miles ahead of Rudock.

Gionni Paul had a roller-coaster of a game. The two penalties were stupid, and Jake Butt was Michigan's biggest threat receiving. But he was stout against the run and was there on the 4th down stop mid-fourth that pretty much closed the door on Michigan.

We're not pretty, but we're effective. I hope we have plans to throw more vertically -- too much of what we do in the pass game is side-to-side. We need Phillips to be better, because we go 7-6 if he misses FGs last year like he did today. But overall, I'm encouraged. We should dominate Fresno and USU. Oregon will tell a lot about our Pac-12 status.

DrumNFeather
09-03-2015, 10:46 PM
Nice to see so many young guys make plays offensively. Handley stepping in and making catches. Tyrone Smith with a few and a johnny on the spot moment. Williams is going to break one for 60 or 70 yards this year.

Any word on the TE that went down? Moeai (sp?)?

hostile
09-03-2015, 10:54 PM
Nice to see so many young guys make plays offensively. Handley stepping in and making catches. Tyrone Smith with a few and a johnny on the spot moment. Williams is going to break one for 60 or 70 yards this year.

Any word on the TE that went down? Moeai (sp?)?

covey as well. Good hands and quick feet. When he signed I didn't know how he would be used so count me as pleasantly surprised.

Moeai went dow. In the first series. He wasn't putting any weight on his left ankle, so that is concerning. Don't know anything more than that.

Rocker Ute
09-03-2015, 11:15 PM
This will be the only time I will defend our last defensive series like we did. It wasn't a prevent defense, but it was pretty close. My dad and I were both complaining about it, but as I thought about it, even with the score at the end what happened basically guaranteed us a win. If we play straight up like we did, and they get over the top of us and score right away with 3:30 minutes still on the clock, we stand a real chance of losing the game. Instead we cooked the time and then it was over.

Here is a little realization... yes we've beaten Michigan before, and yes this isn't the full-steam Michigan but there was no question in my mind who the better team was out there and right now the better coach and it was Utah and Whittingham. Now that isn't saying overall Whit is better than Harbaugh (although he very well may be) but head to head today Whit coached the better game.

I tend to believe that our current setup with upcoming games is now perfect to get the kinks out and like SoCalPat mentioned above, put us in a good position against Oregon to really tell us where we are in the PAC-12.

In short, there is much of the same frustration, but I am pleased. This was the first game of the season, and we sure didn't look like we were playing the first game of the season. Nice win.

Diehard Ute
09-03-2015, 11:15 PM
covey as well. Good hands and quick feet. When he signed I didn't know how he would be used so count me as pleasantly surprised.

Moeai went dow. In the first series. He wasn't putting any weight on his left ankle, so that is concerning. Don't know anything more than that.

They carried him most of the way to the locker room until they could get him crutches. He was putting no weight on it even with crutches.

Both Porter and Carter had cramping issues. Better up the hydration next week.

LA Ute
09-03-2015, 11:26 PM
Nice short post-game take with Pease;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7YlY3o-prU#t=30

Did anyone else our lack of pressure on the Michigan QB for most of the game?

NorthwestUteFan
09-03-2015, 11:28 PM

Yes, but this is also one of the better offensive line units we will face this year. At least by talent level.

SoCalPat
09-03-2015, 11:31 PM

I thought we pressured well. We didn't get sacks, but Rudock was forced to throw early or roll out most of the game. And a lot of times, we rushed only 3.

We took away a lot of the passing lanes and got 3 picks against a QB who threw all of five with Iowa in his last full season. I'd give the defense a B+ for tonight's game. It would've been an A- if not for Paul's silly penalties.

Diehard Ute
09-03-2015, 11:32 PM

They also played 2-3 TE a good chunk of the game. I'm with SoCal, our pressure was good most of the game.

SoCalPat
09-03-2015, 11:38 PM
They also played 2-3 TE a good chunk of the game. I'm with SoCal, our pressure was good most of the game.

Never really realized that until after the game, when several have brought it up. Concedes that Harbaugh knew what we've known all along (and what many Michigan fans didn't) ... our front 4 is a monster, and will outclass any O-line that doesn't have help.

Diehard Ute
09-03-2015, 11:41 PM
Never really realized that until after the game, when several have brought it up. Concedes that Harbaugh knew what we've known all along (and what many Michigan fans didn't) ... our front 4 is a monster, and will outclass any O-line that doesn't have help.

Exactly.

For most of the game Whittingham and Thomas would stand just on the field waiting to see if they'd pull a TE and put in a WR.

LA Ute
09-03-2015, 11:45 PM
I hope Michigan has a great rest of the season now.

Devildog
09-04-2015, 12:52 AM
Great game, great ending. Nothing really surprised me, save for Andy's two missed FGs. We can't have that.

Worried about A-Rod calling plays. Relied on too many screens. Worked once early, rarely worked thereafter.

Tonight was a vindication for people who hate hype. Harbaugh is not a miracle worker, because Utah's dominance this year differed very little from last. And hopefully, the Heisman talk about Booker calms down a bit. Check that, it shouldn't even exist. He's a good back. One of the 10 best in the nation? Maybe. Heisman candidate? Get real.

Pac-12 fans deserve much better than Joel Klatt as a color man. Questioning Kyle's M.O. at the end of the first half was silly. It's never changed. Utah had three timeouts and over a minute left, and he's wondering what we're doing running on 2nd and medium. Kyle is always looking to get that one first down, then he opens things up. And on the third down that preceded the fourth down stop, where the Michigan QB slipped, it was clear his elbow hit the turf. Questioning the spot there was silly.

I was screaming at the Utah staff, replay booth, anyone, to review that catch that was (rightly) overturned. Your player has the best view of any incomplete pass, and Paul was pretty quick (albeit somewhat restrained) to say the pass was incomplete. Harbaugh is screaming at his team to hurry up -- it screamed for a review, and sometimes, you gotta burn a timeout there to get review to look at it a second time. They'll give it back, so there's nothing lost there.

Booker gets the advance billing, but that doesn't change the fact that the QB is the most important single player on the field, and we won tonight because Travis was pretty damn good, and miles ahead of Rudock.

Gionni Paul had a roller-coaster of a game. The two penalties were stupid, and Jake Butt was Michigan's biggest threat receiving. But he was stout against the run and was there on the 4th down stop mid-fourth that pretty much closed the door on Michigan.

We're not pretty, but we're effective. I hope we have plans to throw more vertically -- too much of what we do in the pass game is side-to-side. We need Phillips to be better, because we go 7-6 if he misses FGs last year like he did today. But overall, I'm encouraged. We should dominate Fresno and USU. Oregon will tell a lot about our Pac-12 status.

Solid review... but we won Socal... we won against a pretty well prepared, talent rich Michigan team, The future is rich man, the future is rich.

UtahsMrSports
09-04-2015, 07:54 AM
As I was in the massive crowd and not moving at all after the game last night, I noticed a group of Michigan fans in front of me........one guy kind of looked at his buddies, smiled and said "watch this........." and he started a "Beat BYU! Beat BYU!" chant. He got a lot of high fives and "I hope you guys kill them!" from the folks around him in red.

U-Ute
09-04-2015, 09:07 AM

The Michigan QB was throwing really quick. Not much time to get to him.

On the flip side, Utah baited him into the quick throw to the outside that JT jumped. He threw that pass every time we showed a blitz from that side.

I think we traded sacks for INT's.

SoCalPat
09-04-2015, 09:14 AM
I don't think we can take much credit for the first two picks. Those were gifts.

One of the Michigan boards pointed out that all three INTs involved a true freshman WR, and that you could chalk it up to bad route running as much as anything. And we've dropped plenty of INTs before.

SoCalPat
09-04-2015, 09:18 AM
Solid review... but we won Socal... we won against a pretty well prepared, talent rich Michigan team, The future is rich man, the future is rich.

We won, I'm happy and I knew it wouldn't be easy, but we gotta have vertical threats in this league if we're going to finish better than last season. Covey can be that Braden Godfrey-like player who gets open down the middle of the field, but who's on the outside that forces help from a safety? That's really the only negative I see about this team, but it's a pretty big negative.

SoCalPat
09-04-2015, 09:19 AM
Speaking of drops, did McClellon see the field again after his? That drop could have easily been a pick sick.

That was my biggest "oh shit I'm gonna have a heart attack" moment of the game, even moreso than the overthrown deep balls. Michigan couldn't get two gift Pick-6s in back-to-back years, could they? Very fortunate there.

SoCalPat
09-04-2015, 09:22 AM
Did Tim Patrick play?

Scott had 1 reception, right?

I wonder who ends up our leading WR for the season.

Dressed, did not play per the participation report at utahutes.com

Also, it shows a Sharrief Shah playing. Is that for real?

jrj84105
09-04-2015, 09:29 AM
Getting one of Patrick/Singleton back and healthy would help our screen game since they're strong blockers

UBlender
09-04-2015, 09:36 AM
I thought he had a son walk on? Am I making that up?

Yes, Sharreiff Shah Jr is a walk-on LB, probably played on special teams.

Diehard Ute
09-04-2015, 09:38 AM
Patrick looked good in warmups. Guessing he's back soon.

Singleton didn't dress

The Michigan fan reaction is wide ranging. Several talking about Utah being a good team. Many saying they handed us the game and we have a crappy program.

concerned
09-04-2015, 09:47 AM
Patrick looked good in warmups. Guessing he's back soon.

Singleton didn't dress

The Michigan fan reaction is wide ranging. Several talking about Utah being a good team. Many saying they handed us the game and we have a crappy program.

Listening to national radio coming to work (Mike & Mike; Dan Patrick, Doug Flutie) the overwhelming comment was that Rudock handed us the game. If he had had any touch in the first half, Michigan might have been up two TD's. The first pick, I thought the receiver turned the wrong way. The second pick just sailed over the receiver. Rudock's first miss on the potential touchdown was horrendous; the second one would have required a good throw, but eminently makable.

Senioritis
09-04-2015, 09:48 AM
Couple thoughts:

1. Love Covey. His little zig out special on Jabrill freaking Peppers that set up the first TD was just a technical masterpiece of beauty and art. And the juke, oh the juke, on the punt return. However, the big hits are coming. Hopefully they won't be too dirty. I am concerned for his spleen. Until then though, bottoms up!

2. Anybody expecting o jogo bonito out of the Utah football team needs to have a big glass of shut the hell up and readjust expectations. Especially when they are playing a team coached by Jim freaking Harbaugh. Kyle Whittingham has been the coach for 10 years, and some Utah fans with a bone in the middle of their brains continue to expect something other than what they've already seen. This is Utah football. This is what we do. This is also the only way we will be successful against teams in our conference who will always out athlete us.

3. But, dagnabbit, we do need to at least THROW THE FREAKING DEEP BALL a couple of times. Just throw it. It doesn't have to be complete. It doesn't even have to be close. There doesn't even need to be a receiver in the pattern. Just THROW THE FREAKING DEEP BALL to give even the faintest glimmer of an illusion to the opposing safeties that our receivers might have at least one route that is designed to be run beyond the first down marker.

4. And Ken Scott has proven repeatedly that he can go up and win the ball. So let him go up and win the ball.

5. Booker is rad, awesome combination of speed, power, hands. Really hit or miss on the whole pass blocking thing.

6. Joe Williams has some schwerve.

7. You know, in hindsight, maybe losing two 2nd round guys at the two most important positions on defense will have more of an effect than I thought.

8. I have no idea how good Michigan is, and I think anybody who thinks they do know has a 50/50 shot at being right. But I will say that it doesn't matter. At all. Everything is decided on the field for the Utes. The relative strength or weakness of opponents doesn't matter at all. What matters is the record. Beat teams in the conference, win the conference. That is what matters.

9. We are who we are.

Senioritis
09-04-2015, 09:51 AM
Couple thoughts:

1. Love Covey. His little zig out special on Jabrill freaking Peppers that set up the first TD was just a technical masterpiece of beauty and art. And the juke, oh the juke, on the punt return. However, the big hits are coming. Hopefully they won't be too dirty. I am concerned for his spleen. Until then though, bottoms up!

2. Anybody expecting o jogo bonito out of the Utah football team needs to have a big glass of shut the hell up and readjust expectations. Especially when they are playing a team coached by Jim freaking Harbaugh. Kyle Whittingham has been the coach for 10 years, and some Utah fans with a bone in the middle of their brains continue to expect something other than what they've already seen. This is Utah football. This is what we do. This is also the only way we will be successful against teams in our conference who will always out athlete us.

3. But, dagnabbit, we do need to at least THROW THE FREAKING DEEP BALL a couple of times. Just throw it. It doesn't have to be complete. It doesn't even have to be close. There doesn't even need to be a receiver in the pattern. Just THROW THE FREAKING DEEP BALL to give even the faintest glimmer of an illusion to the opposing safeties that our receivers might have at least one route that is designed to be run beyond the first down marker.

4. And Ken Scott has proven repeatedly that he can go up and win the ball. So let him go up and win the ball.

5. Booker is rad, awesome combination of speed, power, hands. Really hit or miss on the whole pass blocking thing.

7. You know, in hindsight, maybe losing two 2nd round guys at the two most important positions on defense will have more of an effect than I thought.

8. I have no idea how good Michigan is, and I think anybody who thinks they do know has a 50/50 shot at being right. But I will say that it doesn't matter. At all. Everything is decided on the field for the Utes. The relative strength or weakness of opponents doesn't matter at all. What matters is the record. Beat teams in the conference, win the conference. That is what matters.

9. We are who we are.

10. And, oh, those Brisket Swachos from Bam Bam's.

concerned
09-04-2015, 10:03 AM
One last question: is there any doubt that Hackett's late punt was out at the 3-5 yard line, and not a touchback? It looked obvious obvious obvious from the east stands. Or is that just skewed perspective from there?

mUUser
09-04-2015, 10:08 AM
Couple thoughts:

9. We are who we are.

Couple more....

Hands down, Peppers was the best player on the field.

Having said that, our receivers still can't block for squat. Embarrassing performance really.

Either their receivers are all world blockers or our corners can't brush off a block. Again, embarrassing.

Covey....for a true frosh. Wow.

Agree with the experts that our senior QB outplayed theirs.....and that was the game.

Semi automatic Andy looked horrible. He must've sliced that FG by 10 yards to the right. Next up, hook left.

Senioritis
09-04-2015, 10:12 AM
One last question: is there any doubt that Hackett's late punt was out at the 3-5 yard line, and not a touchback? It looked obvious obvious obvious from the east stands. Or is that just skewed perspective from there?

The ref is standing basically right on the pylon, the end zone to his right. He watches the flight of the ball, which is to his LEFT the entire time, the ball hits five yards to the left of him, and he calls it a touchback. That pissed me off. Michigan could have had another 18 yards passing on their TD drive if the ref makes the right call.