PDA

View Full Version : The V may represent the valley, but on the field it stands for VICTORY!!! Utes vs. Bulldogs

LA Ute
09-12-2015, 08:00 PM
We'll start with this:

Utah football: Travis Wilson expected back by Oregon as Utes seek improved run blocking, outside passing

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2936307-155/utah-football-travis-wilson-expected-back

So we might have Travis back by the Fresno State game. It's probably more likely that Kendal Thompson will be the QB next Saturday. Will there be a Chase Hansen package? We saw that on one play last night against USU. Kinda odd we didn't see it again.

Mormon Red Death
09-12-2015, 08:26 PM
We'll start with this:

Utah football: Travis Wilson expected back by Oregon as Utes seek improved run blocking, outside passing

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2936307-155/utah-football-travis-wilson-expected-back

So we might have Travis back by the Fresno State game. It's probably more likely that Kendal Thompson will be the QB next Saturday. Will there be a Chase Hansen package? We saw that on one play last night against USU. Kinda odd we didn't see it again.
I changed the title. If you want you can change it back

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Mormon Red Death
09-12-2015, 08:28 PM
Ole miss dropped 73 on the fsu today

UTEopia
09-12-2015, 09:25 PM
We'll start with this:

The Utes may want to get more production from the outside receivers, but they will need different receivers to do that. To date, our outside WR's have played terrible. They do not get any separation and they don't block worth crap.

Utebiquitous
09-12-2015, 09:55 PM
I take issue with the blocking charge. I see plenty of plays where they are blocking - particularly Kenneth Scott. The young guys are doing a poor job of blocking but I see some effort - very little technique.

The separation issue is huge. I'm totally with you there Uteopia. Pretty depressing to see USU receivers (without their two best - one suspended through our game and the other off the team) getting separation from our dbs and our receivers unable to get space. Kenneth Scott had a couple of good grabs but they were simply go get the ball throws and he's good at that. I'm just baffled watching their effort. Can't just look at them and say there is not enough talent. There may not be but some responsibility has to be taken at the coaching level.

LA Ute
09-12-2015, 10:21 PM
I thought we had speed at WR this season. They're all young, I guess. Coach 'em up, A-Rod!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redbird
09-12-2015, 10:23 PM
This will be Fresno's blackout game. 8:30pm MDT kickoff.

The last 5 teams they've played from P5 conferences since the start of 2013, they've given up 45, 59, 52, 55, and 73 points. IOW Utah will win this game 28-17.

LA Ute
09-12-2015, 10:23 PM
I changed the title. If you want you can change it back

It's fine. I came up with that title quickly and off the top of my head -- I am glad somebody else improved it.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-14-2015, 12:59 AM
If the offense is half as productive as this thread subject, we'll win big!!!

Applejack
09-14-2015, 08:01 AM
If the offense is half as productive as this thread subject, we'll win big!!!

What the hell does the thread title mean? Is it a California thing?

Diehard Ute
09-14-2015, 08:08 AM

Can't be a California thing, there isn't a sign warning that this thread is known to cause cancer

LA Ute
09-14-2015, 08:20 AM

Mormon Red Death came up with it. He doesn't mind if we change it. Any nominations?

Solon
09-14-2015, 08:23 AM

The green "V" is featured on all Fesno State student athletes' uniforms, including inside the blue stripe on the back of Fresno State's football helmets.

The mark can also be found on the dog collar of the Bulldogs' logo and throughout the Department of Athletics.

The "V" symbolizes Fresno State's pride in representing the San Joaquin Valley and the color green was selected to honor the importance of the agriculture industry to the region.

http://www.gobulldogs.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/082801aaa.html

Senioritis
09-14-2015, 02:38 PM
Chase Hansen???

Yea or nay?

I say nay, but I am open to yea.

Senioritis
09-14-2015, 02:59 PM
Not very enlightening comment: I agree with your position.

If KT is completely ineffective, I think you have to give Chase a chance, but I hate for anyone to have to start their career on the road in a game we are losing.

So I think we know that Travis Wilson, even if back by Oregon, probably misses more time this year. I can see the argument that Thompson gives Utah a better chance to win this year than Hansen.

But what about next fall? Isn't time invested in Hansen going to payoff big time next fall? I'm talking about an offense that could average, I don't know, 28 or 29 points EVERY GAME! But he's got have some experience before throwing him to the wolves against SUU next September.

The other thing is, after Thompson's, uh, showing against USU, I'm not sure how many more wins he's good for over Hansen. Probably some, right? But does Hansen have that unseen, intangible, powerful mojo known as pelotas?

Es muy posible, or something!

U-Ute
09-14-2015, 03:03 PM
So I think we know that Travis Wilson, even if back by Oregon, probably misses more time this year. I can see the argument that Thompson gives Utah a better chance to win this year than Hansen.

But what about next fall? Isn't time invested in Hansen going to payoff big time next fall? I'm talking about an offense that could average, I don't know, 28 or 29 points EVERY GAME! But he's got have some experience before throwing him to the wolves against SUU next September.

The other thing is, after Thompson's, uh, showing against USU, I'm not sure how many more wins he's good for over Hansen. Probably some, right? But does Hansen have that unseen, intangible, powerful mojo known as pelotas?

Es muy posible, or something!

All the more reason to hope that we can get up early on Fresno State and let Hansen make those mistakes when we know our D will shut them down.

UBlender
09-14-2015, 04:46 PM
My crazy idea (which will never happen) is that we already know Thompson is perfectly capable of coming off the bench and engineering an ugly victory. So if Travis can't go (and there is a dude on twitter that swears he has a friend on the team that says Travis will be back this week) then I start Hansen and go to Thompson if we need to go to the bullpen. Like I said, there is a 0% chance it happens, but if we're struggling on offense again then I'd rather have it be with Hansen and having a "safety net" if we need it in Thompson.

LA Ute
09-14-2015, 04:48 PM
We are 2-0 with the entire season ahead, so I think the coaches will be focusing on who gives us the best chance to win. That's probably Thompson, unless the coaches see something in Hansen that gives them confidence that he can read defenses, be more patient than Thompson, not make big mistakes, and move the chains. It was pretty obvious last Friday night that Thompson's almost-disastrous passes frightened A-Rod so badly that he basically shut down the playbook for the rest of the game. (Did we pass again? I don't remember.) I'm sure they are working with Kendal to coach him up, but we shouldn't be shocked if we see a lot of Chase this Saturday.

FWIW, here's his high school highlight reel. One thing we can say for sure: He has a totally normal, conventional throwing motion -- no hitch, no sidearm. So he's got that going for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSMQK5ry3lo

Diehard Ute
09-14-2015, 05:07 PM
I think too much is made of the throwing mechanics.

What's made Travis better this year so far isn't mechanics it's his reads and understanding of the offense.

What made Kendall a bit scary was his slow reads and poor choices.

Dolce made a comment on the post game that Kendall has no issues throwing the football. His issues are making his reads and going through his progressions quickly and making the right decision. Dolce pointed out that more than once Kendall missed his open receiver and instead yanked it down and ran. That's where he has to improve.

As for Chase, the question really comes down to his grasp of the offense and ability to make those decisions, where he is on that none of us know.

LA Ute
09-14-2015, 05:32 PM
I think too much is made of the throwing mechanics.

I'm just a fan (but I did play 2nd-string QB on my 9th grade Ute Conference football team!). When I watch the NFL QBs and the best college QBs -- the guys who can put the ball where it needs to be, when it needs to be there -- whether it's a fade to the corner of the end zone, a long bomb, or a quick 10-yard rifle shot over the middle -- their throwing motion is a quick snap and it looks effortless. Watching Travis and Kendal pass after watching those guys is cringe-inducing. I think mechanics make a difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeiwvKtyxdI

Hot Lunch
09-14-2015, 05:49 PM
Chase Hansen???

Yea or nay?

I say nay, but I am open to yea.

Yea, I have lost all confidence in Kendal's passing ability.

Old Standing ute
09-14-2015, 06:05 PM
Kendal mainly because of experience. he has gotten reps with 2's while Chase stands & watches. He played OK last year.
He was bad Friday but then they shut everything down, so who knows. Although he did make one nice play where he found Covey a last minute while looking like he would run.
Move Covey to QB----just kidding; but how can be be that good & all these *** who played receiver all their lives be that mediocre?

Scorcho
09-14-2015, 06:54 PM
Ole Miss had 215 yards rushing on 35 carries (6 yards per carry)

I'm not sure KT will be required to air it out much.

DrumNFeather
09-14-2015, 07:04 PM

I'd like to see us have booth Booker and Williams in the backfield at the same time. If people want to try and load up and stop Booker, we'll pop Williams outside. If they account for Williams, we'll pound Booker, let KT run it, or open up our passing game. I think a lot of the creativity left with McCormick's injury, but I think we still have guys we can use to get this offense going a little more in the run game.

Solon
09-14-2015, 07:48 PM
I would never favor starting Hansen to prepare for next year. I hate the thought of it. If, at some point, we think he gives us the best chance this year, we obviously have to move on that.

I'm trying to be optimistic with Thompson this week. He did have those two drives against Oregon that we all remember. He made some throws on those drives. A week of practice as the starter can't hurt, right? I want to get to the point where I'm not afraid of a sack, a fumble, or a pick every time the ball is snapped to him, which is where I was last week.

Playing the backup always seems like a good idea until the inevitable pick-6 (Remember tommy Grady & Connor Manning?)

U-Ute
09-14-2015, 08:19 PM
Playing the backup always seems like a good idea until the inevitable pick-6 (Remember tommy Grady & Connor Manning?)

Remember when Terrance Cain came into the BYU game and reminded us why Wynn was starting? Yeah. Moments like that

Applejack
09-15-2015, 04:59 AM
Remember when Terrance Cain came into the BYU game and reminded us why Wynn was starting? Yeah. Moments like that

Or that time kenthom came in against Michigan and handed the ball to the wrong team? That was embarrassing.

The answer is YEA, verily. Use chase as a situational backup: he handles the fourth drive (or part of it). It's planned so we aren't doing it because kenthom takes forever to wind up.

U-Ute
09-15-2015, 08:51 AM
Or that time kenthom came in against Michigan and handed the ball to the wrong team? That was embarrassing.

The answer is YEA, verily. Use chase as a situational backup: he handles the fourth drive (or part of it). It's planned so we aren't doing it because kenthom takes forever to wind up.

I can't believe we all forgot Alex Smith's pick-6 at SDSU.

They play when they're ready.

LA Ute
09-15-2015, 03:39 PM
What will you all be watching for this Saturday against Fresno State? Here's my list:

1. Can the o-line get some push and open holes for Booker? If they do, the Utes' chances for winning improve exponentially.

2. Will our WRs (other than Covey) be able to get open? If they do, will Kendal be able to get them the ball?

3. Will Kendal show more patience on pass plays before taking off and running?

4. Will we pressure the Fresno State QB? We ought to be able to.

5. Will our kickers pull out of their slumps? (KW's term, not mine.)

I'll also be mildly interested in whether Chase Hansen gets any reps.

USS Utah
09-15-2015, 05:10 PM
I will be very surprised if Fresno State has a defense as good as Michigan or Utah State. Even though this is on the road, and TW is unlikely to play, I still expect a comfortable win, with both KT and CH playing.

Rocker Ute
09-15-2015, 06:53 PM
If we are being honest, QB development has been and continues to be a major concern at the U. For a guy who has supposedly been neck and neck with Wilson this whole time, the gap seems pretty big. KT has had a lot of reps and time on the field to still be struggling as he is. That being said, I want to give him a 'first game jitters' benefit of the doubt.

I'm also hopeful that they draw up plays specific to him this next week. It felt like we had a number of plays against USU that felt like plays designed for a right-hander run by a lefty.

So we'll see. Hansen has gotten some PT on special teams if you've noticed. I'm guessing he'll get a few snaps against Fresno regardless of Wilson, it may be the last opportunity all year.

Damage U
09-15-2015, 06:56 PM

I'm sure Booker is licking his chops at this game. I expect big numbers from him.

chrisrenrut
09-15-2015, 09:46 PM
I don't know if Booker will have a big game. If Fresno knows there is no passing game, they put 8 in the box and dare Kendal to beat them with his arm. And our run blocking hadn't been great so far.

Old Standing ute
09-15-2015, 10:27 PM
What will you all be watching for this Saturday against Fresno State? Here's my list:

1. Can the o-line get some push and open holes for Booker? If they do, the Utes' chances for winning improve exponentially.

2. Will our WRs (other than Covey) be able to get open? If they do, will Kendal be able to get them the ball?

3. Will Kendal show more patience on pass plays before taking off and running?

4. Will we pressure the Fresno State QB? We ought to be able to.

5. Will our kickers pull out of their slumps? (KW's term, not mine.)

I'll also be mildly interested in whether Chase Hansen gets any reps.

I watched a replay of USU. O line is OK when they go hat to hat straight ahead, but they often pull & expect the person on the wrong side of Defender to somehow get in front of him; or they pick the wrong D to block--ending up in a 2 team on a D, leaving another D alone who makes the play.
Not sure if it is a design error or they just don't know who to block. But when it is block the D in front of you, they can open a decent hole.

Utebiquitous
09-16-2015, 12:39 AM
Old Standing, Maake and other smart football guys,
Your observation about the O'line brings to mind a question/observation I have. It seems to me through two games that when Travis/Kendall just do a standard hand off to Booker - no option, just straight ahead running, that there seems to be a hole or two to run through. On the option plays there seems to be less running room. Does this tie into your comment on going hat to hat straight ahead? I'm frustrated by too much option in the run game and too little just give the ball to Booker - no reads, no razzle-dazzle, just straight ahead running up the gut or off-tackle.

DrumNFeather
09-16-2015, 08:13 AM
Interesting blog post today on the Pac 12 on Booker and Fresno St. Says he thinks they did him dirty with some clearinghouse issues out of high school after he posted a 28 on the ACT. Called him the day before he was to come to school and told him he was a non-qualifier. He had felt the whole time that they were trying to push him towards the JC route anyway. Apparently a staffer that was held over from Pat Hill's staff tried to chat with him prior to last year's game and he wasn't interested.

Run for 200+ Book! Show those Dawgs!

LA Ute
09-16-2015, 09:30 AM
KW seemed to say that K. Scott will be getting more balls thrown his way. The WRs generally will, he said. I doubt we will see that unless the running game goes nowhere.

Brian
09-16-2015, 09:50 AM
KW seemed to say that K. Scott will be getting more balls thrown his way. The WRs generally will, he said. I doubt we will see that unless the running game goes nowhere.

I keep hearing that.....
I guess I will believe it when I see it....

Utebiquitous
09-16-2015, 09:56 AM
That's interesting Sancho,
I totally agree with you on Kendall. He did take a while. I probably need to give these guys a break and realize we're early in the season and they need the reps to improve.

That said, I just have to admit my bias for a more pro-set offense.

Old Standing ute
09-16-2015, 11:48 AM
Old Standing, Maake and other smart football guys,
Your observation about the O'line brings to mind a question/observation I have. It seems to me through two games that when Travis/Kendall just do a standard hand off to Booker - no option, just straight ahead running, that there seems to be a hole or two to run through. On the option plays there seems to be less running room. Does this tie into your comment on going hat to hat straight ahead? I'm frustrated by too much option in the run game and too little just give the ball to Booker - no reads, no razzle-dazzle, just straight ahead running up the gut or off-tackle.

There are different kinds of options--Utah rarely runs the pitch option like AFA. Instead QB can give to Booker or keep himself in hope that D end will dive inside to take Booker.
Problem at USU for example was USU blitzed outside on our left & Tevi slid out to take blitzer. Left guard did not also slide out but double-teamed down on nose-guard leaving left D end free to disrupt play.
Another time they pulled center on a run to the right & expected LGuard to take tackle who was in gap to his right--so he had to time snap perfectly so he could move to his right to cut off tackle when play was going right. He did not make it & D tackle is in disrupting play.
Another time they slipped L tackle Tevi past his man to get to LB & expected Marcus-Williams FB to block the D-end who had a running start. He could not handle the bigger D end & this disrupted play.
The blocking for each play is different, but when they want they just go straight ahead & block that D player it seems to work better. The O line is not yet to a point where they can pull, slide, cover for each other.

Applejack
09-16-2015, 12:12 PM
Scott is interesting. He's by all accounts a great teammate, leader, and guy. He's a fan, coach, and player favorite. So. yeah, we want to get him the ball. On the other hand, he's not an elite WR. It's not like we are forgetting to run plays for our All-American here. When we do run plays for him, he is not wide open. Instead, he relies on toughness and positioning to go get the ball draw a PI.

Fixed it for you.

The fact of the matter is WE DON'T HAVE WIDEOUTS. There are things we can do to hide this fact-throw to Covey, run a ton of play action, or throw to Covey. But it's a problem that will bite us in multiple games this year.

LA Ute
09-16-2015, 12:20 PM
There are different kinds of options--Utah rarely runs the pitch option like AFA. Instead QB can give to Booker or keep himself in hope that D end will dive inside to take Booker.
Problem at USU for example was USU blitzed outside on our left & Tevi slid out to take blitzer. Left guard did not also slide out but double-teamed down on nose-guard leaving left D end free to disrupt play.
Another time they pulled center on a run to the right & expected LGuard to take tackle who was in gap to his right--so he had to time snap perfectly so he could move to his right to cut off tackle when play was going right. He did not make it & D tackle is in disrupting play.
Another time they slipped L tackle Tevi past his man to get to LB & expected Marcus-Williams FB to block the D-end who had a running start. He could not handle the bigger D end & this disrupted play.
The blocking for each play is different, but when they want they just go straight ahead & block that D player it seems to work better. The O line is not yet to a point where they can pull, slide, cover for each other.

Very interesting stuff, OSU. Thanks.

LA Ute
09-16-2015, 12:24 PM
Fixed it for you.

The fact of the matter is WE DON'T HAVE WIDEOUTS. There are things we can do to hide this fact-throw to Covey, run a ton of play action, or throw to Covey. But it's a problem that will bite us in multiple games this year.

We have four fast freshmen who people think will be good wideouts eventually. Problem is, they're freshmen. If they don't progress really, really rapidly this season (unlikely) you're right, we'll be bitten repeatedly. https://smileyshack.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/sbiting_100-100.gif?w=700&h=

mUUser
09-16-2015, 01:02 PM
...WE DON'T HAVE WIDEOUTS. There are things we can do to hide this fact-throw to Covey, run a ton of play action, or throw to Covey. But it's a problem that will bite us in multiple games this year.

I guess with the emergence of Covey, the Bubba Poole experiment is officially over?

jrj84105
09-16-2015, 04:12 PM
In the self perpetuating chicken and egg scenario where lack of offensive talent --> lack of production --> reduced recruit interest --> lack of talent, etc I've started to believe that the lack of talent is the initiating factor and poor talent appraisal the root cause. But which position group is the biggest issue? IMO, you get the least chances to produce a good QB with 1-2 signees per year, limited practice reps, and the propensity for guys who aren't getting reps to transfer. Even really good programs have difficulty fielding effective QBs year in and year out. It's hard to say that our QB talent has been consistently worse than comparable run first P5 teams with a lackluster offense. Our O-line has consistently struggled, but we've also been putting a fair number of linemen into the NFL, so I think scheme/coaching has been as much an issue as talent there. WR I think is the problem. You can recruit a lot of WRs to a team and spread out a lot of reps. Even most mediocre Go5 teams can put at least one decent WR on the field most years. Even GT can recruit decent WRs. I think that whatever talent appraisal strategy we use for defensive players is clearly not working at WR. This has to come back to ARod, who I increasingly think may be a very good tactician but a very bad talent appraiser. It seems like a few of Stubblefield's recent recruits (S Wilson, C Repp) may actually be able to catch passes and run routes and could be decent by next year, so maybe we're almost through with the WR drought.

LA Ute
09-16-2015, 04:25 PM
In the self perpetuating chicken and egg scenario where lack of offensive talent --> lack of production --> reduced recruit interest --> lack of talent, etc I've started to believe that the lack of talent is the initiating factor and poor talent appraisal the root cause. But which position group is the biggest issue? IMO, you get the least chances to produce a good QB with 1-2 signees per year, limited practice reps, and the propensity for guys who aren't getting reps to transfer. Even really good programs have difficulty fielding effective QBs year in and year out. It's hard to say that our QB talent has been consistently worse than comparable run first P5 teams with a lackluster offense. Our O-line has consistently struggled, but we've also been putting a fair number of linemen into the NFL, so I think scheme/coaching has been as much an issue as talent there. WR I think is the problem. You can recruit a lot of WRs to a team and spread out a lot of reps. Even most mediocre Go5 teams can put at least one decent WR on the field most years. Even GT can recruit decent WRs. I think that whatever talent appraisal strategy we use for defensive players is clearly not working at WR. This has to come back to ARod, who I increasingly think may be a very good tactician but a very bad talent appraiser. It seems like a few of Stubblefield's recent recruits (S Wilson, C Repp) may actually be able to catch passes and run routes and could be decent by next year, so maybe we're almost through with the WR drought.

I will now make my One-Note Johnny entrance. (1) KW, in his heart of hearts, doesn't have religion about the offense. (2) He's also endearingly but maddeningly loyal to his staff, and (3) insists on working with people he knows and trusts. I think those are the root causes of what you are describing. Again, I am not trying to rip on Kyle, just trying to be realistic about who he is and what we can expect from Utah football with him as the coach. He's our guy, and we are going to keep getting what we have been getting. Maybe it's all we can realistically hope for.

LA Ute
09-16-2015, 04:38 PM
I'm not buying (surprised?).

We've had some highly regarded WRs come in; they just haven't worked out. I think that's just bad luck. There are so many 3 star WRs, and most of them turn into nothing. We've gone after guys who were being pursued by other good teams, so I don't think talent evaluation is the issue. We've really just had some bad luck at the position.

We were due some good luck, and it looks like Covey fits that category.

Edit: maybe we have focused too much on speed and not enough on skill at the WR position. Especially in college, route running (getting open) is the most valuable thing for a WR. We have regularly been baffled by guys with low 40 times who just can't get it done.

I hear you, but we've had bad luck at QB for years. Now we have it with WRs. Sooner or later bad luck starts to look like a pattern. There is only one constant underlying the pattern.

USS Utah
09-16-2015, 05:10 PM
I guess with the emergence of Covey, the Bubba Poole experiment is officially over?

No, he is still getting catches as a slot receiver.

jrj84105
09-16-2015, 05:28 PM
The QB thing has been a mess, and we've gone over all that went into creating it (injuries, OCs, systems, luck). The WR position hasn't been as bad. We've had some good WRs under Kyle. This year, though, looks tough - the worst year for the position in a long time. We had the plan/people in place - some good looking recruits - but the last few classes just haven't worked out.

Say you bring in 5 WRs in class, all of them 3 star recruits. Say the probability of success for any individual 3 star guy is 15%. The odds of getting five duds are 44%. It's not crazy to think we just had an unlucky year.

We also missed out on a highly regarded JC guy because he failed to qualify.

When looking at our PAC era, think the WR situation has been a bigger mess than QB relative to other programs. Lots of schools struggle with developing QBs, and our struggles aren't particularly out of line with other run-first, defense-minded programs despite our annual system change and injuries. Our WR performance has been consistently worse than other programs, it's not like our scheme changes included a stint as a triple option team. Basically, lots of teams are limited by suboptimal QB play. Very few teams are primarily limited by their inability to field a receiving corps.

The 15% number is sort of baloney, and you have to take into account that it would take multiple years of missing on 5 guys per year to get where we are now at WR. In fact, our number one receiver was actually part of the 2010 class!!!

Just looked back at our WR recruiting classes. Delshawn McClellon is the only HS WR recruit from the 2011, 2012, 2013 classes who is still playing WR. Holy hell, that's unacceptable. Even if we had a 50/50 chance of turning a HS WR recruit in an all American WR by his senior year, we'd have 0 AA WR (and one AA DE). I didn't realize it was so bad, but clearly the issue is that we simply don't recruit enough WR for a school that wants to run a spread offense with 11 personnel. It's pretty much that simple.

LA Ute
09-16-2015, 05:59 PM
When looking at our PAC era, think the WR situation has been a bigger mess than QB relative to other programs. Lots of schools struggle with developing QBs, and our struggles aren't particularly out of line with other run-first, defense-minded programs despite our annual system change and injuries. Our WR performance has been consistently worse than other programs, it's not like our scheme changes included a stint as a triple option team. Basically, lots of teams are limited by suboptimal QB play. Very few teams are primarily limited by their inability to field a receiving corps.

The 15% number is sort of baloney, and you have to take into account that it would take multiple years of missing on 5 guys per year to get where we are now at WR. In fact, our number one receiver was actually part of the 2010 class!!!

Just looked back at our WR recruiting classes. Delshawn McClellon is the only HS WR recruit from the 2011, 2012, 2013 classes who is still playing WR. Holy hell, that's unacceptable. Even if we had a 50/50 chance of turning a HS WR recruit in an all American WR by his senior year, we'd have 0 AA WR (and one AA DE). I didn't realize it was so bad, but clearly the issue is that we simply don't recruit enough WR for a school that wants to run a spread offense with 11 personnel. It's pretty much that simple.

If your son were a blue-chip WR would you want him to attend Utah? Not a baited question. Just curious. I don't know how I'd feel.

Old Standing ute
09-16-2015, 06:03 PM
If you are a good WR, why would you ever go to Utah? To learn to block on the bubble screens?

Go to Wash St. or Texas Tech or UCLA or USC--where they throw the ball down the field.

Kenric Young was a Fla state champion sprinter. Tell him to run as fast as he can straight ahead & have the QB throw it in front of him & let him get it. I see him on the field, but I never see him do that, nor get the ball thrown in his direction.

jrj84105
09-16-2015, 07:09 PM
If your son were a blue-chip WR would you want him to attend Utah? Not a baited question. Just curious. I don't know how I'd feel.

Absolutely, yes I would. KW is risk averse to a fault, but what has really been the impact on WRs. Dres was about as high risk/reward of a receiver as you're going to get. How often did he sit the bench after causing an interception? When we he supplanted as the primary receiver for the offense?

A blue chip WR can expect the following at Utah:
1) Immediate playing time, likely as the primary target in the passing game from day one.
2) coaching from guy(s) who know the position.
3) good DBs to play against in practice.
4) high profile conference with good in game competition.
5) a very long leash for making mistakes as there probably isn't a viable plan B.

As a WR, Dres probably got more chances to advance his career than any comparably skilled player. Even if Utah throws half as often as other schools, a blue chip in 4 years at Utah as a primary target gets thrown more balls than a guy at Alabama who may or may not ever get first team practice reps start let alone Start. If my kid was a middling DT prospect I'd send him anywhere but Utah. A blue chip WR would have a great opportunity at Utah.

LA Ute
09-16-2015, 08:05 PM
Absolutely, yes I would. KW is risk averse to a fault, but what has really been the impact on WRs. Dres was about as high risk/reward of a receiver as you're going to get. How often did he sit the bench after causing an interception? When we he supplanted as the primary receiver for the offense?

A blue chip WR can expect the following at Utah:
1) Immediate playing time, likely as the primary target in the passing game from day one.
2) coaching from guy(s) who know the position.
3) good DBs to play against in practice.
4) high profile conference with good in game competition.
5) a very long leash for making mistakes as there probably isn't a viable plan B.

As a WR, Dres probably got more chances to advance his career than any comparably skilled player. Even if Utah throws half as often as other schools, a blue chip in 4 years at Utah as a primary target gets thrown more balls than a guy at Alabama who may or may not ever get first team practice reps start let alone Start. If my kid was a middling DT prospect I'd send him anywhere but Utah. A blue chip WR would have a great opportunity at Utah.

I'm sensing a back-handed compliment here....

Redbird
09-16-2015, 08:30 PM
Utes open at -14.

jrj84105
09-16-2015, 08:44 PM
When Kyle converts a WR to CB, many assume it's just crazy old Kyle doing his defense thing. I wonder though. Maybe these guys are evaluated when they arrive, and it's clear they aren't going to make it as WRs, so we switch them and hope they can get something done on defense.
Exactly. The formula of recruiting unpolished multi sport athletes and coaching them up works great on defense, but when that philosophy is applied to WRs, it produces DBs. After years of jugs machines and catching tennis balls, I wonder if the coaching staff might eventually come around to the idea that catching the ball is more of an inherent ability than a learned skill. Of course prioritizing WR skill over athleticism would means having fewer backup options at DB.

Applejack
09-17-2015, 10:23 AM
Utes open at -14.

Good line. Given our questions at qb (can Kentom throw?) and answers at WR (There are none!) I think expecting us to score 21 points is a stretch.

DrumNFeather
09-18-2015, 08:11 AM
It's hard not to think that our guys are peeking ahead to the Oregon game. Pac 12 opener, bye week to follow, etc. My hope is for a blowout and a lot of Chase Hansen in the second half. That said, would another slug fest type performance where we pull away in the second half surprise me? No. And to me, this game has no bearing on the rest of our season. The only thing it helps us do is get half way to bowl eligibility, and keeps us healthy heading into Pac 12 play.

All that said, I'd love for this team to take the "business trip" approach to this one and get out and take care of business, but hey, we're all human. After Michigan, Oregon was circled on the calendar.

NorthwestUteFan
09-18-2015, 10:13 AM
Agreed. This is the closest thing to a 'sure win' left on the schedule. Every remaining game will be a dog fight, including Colorado. For some reason we can't put them away and they always play us tough.

LA Ute
09-19-2015, 12:17 AM
Now wait just a minute -- the game is on the CBS Sports Network? What's that? Do I have to watch it online?

EDIT: Never mind, I figured it out.

DrumNFeather
09-19-2015, 05:23 AM
Now wait just a minute -- the game is on the CBS Sports Network? What's that? Do I have to watch it online?

I'm glad you were able to use the guide feature on your cable/dish box to find your answer. Welcome to 2015! :)

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Applejack
09-19-2015, 06:04 AM
I don't have to worry about what channel the game is on because it's at such an ungodly hour that I'll be asleep already. East coast!

LA Ute
09-19-2015, 07:34 AM
I'm glad you were able to use the guide feature on your cable/dish box to find your answer. Welcome to 2015! :)

😛In an effort to economize my wife had cut back on our Dish package and unwittingly dropped CBS Sports. So I was hunting for it in vain. It's being restored.

DrumNFeather
09-19-2015, 07:55 AM
I don't have to worry about what channel the game is on because it's at such an ungodly hour that I'll be asleep already. East coast!

10:30? Come on bro! We'll have basketball games that are way later than that!

Mormon Red Death
09-19-2015, 08:07 AM
10:30? Come on bro! We'll have basketball games that are way later than that!
No kidding the asu game last year started at 11:30

U-Ute
09-19-2015, 08:13 AM

That channel the Utes were sometimes on back in the MWC who owns the rights.

Utahute72
09-19-2015, 09:20 AM
The Chase Hansen discussion is interesting. When he was on his mission everyone thought he would come back to play linebacker, but having watched him play I thought he would be a really good QB. This take has persisted all the way up to and into fall camp, so it is surprising to see so many calling for him to start now. Like with Travis, I hope we can give him some reps, but not start him as a Freshman.

NorthwestUteFan
09-19-2015, 09:29 AM
Luckily for Chase he is only about a year younger than Travis so we aren't pushing a 17 yr-old into the fire. But you are correct in that he needs time to develop.

I want to see him go in for a few series tonight but definitely do not want to see him start.

NorthwestUteFan
09-19-2015, 09:31 AM
Also I wonder if Britain Covey takes a punt to the house tonight. He was a shoestring tackle away from that last week.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-19-2015, 10:06 AM
Also I wonder if Britain Covey takes a punt to the house tonight. He was a shoestring tackle away from that last week.

Those are some serious shoe strings.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/19/f404a5438216581384e605bb650e0208.jpg

NorthwestUteFan
09-19-2015, 10:43 AM
It would have been a shoestring tackle on a full-size player. Covey is merely Fun-Size.

Applejack
09-19-2015, 11:02 AM
Priorities. If this were the byu game or Michigan, I'd tune in. I can't watch a half and turn it off (addict), so I don't watch any so as not to tempt myself.

mpfunk
09-19-2015, 12:15 PM

No. I wouldn't want me son attending Utah if he was going to play anywhere on offense except maybe RB or oline.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Redbird
09-19-2015, 05:53 PM

:highfive:

DrumNFeather
09-19-2015, 08:59 PM
Quasi Automatic Andy ties the game at 3

justaute
09-19-2015, 09:05 PM
Utah offense...haha.

DrumNFeather
09-19-2015, 09:07 PM
Rumble big fella!

mpfunk
09-19-2015, 09:08 PM
Rumble big fella!

At least our defense can score TDs

chrisrenrut
09-19-2015, 09:09 PM
That got to stand. Not enough to overturn it.

DrumNFeather
09-19-2015, 09:12 PM
At least our defense can score TDs

Thompson looks a bit lost. His first instinct is run. Fine against Fresno...not so much vs. The league.

LA Ute
09-19-2015, 09:18 PM
Wow, we threw the ball downfield

DrumNFeather
09-19-2015, 09:18 PM
Pretty nice ball on the P.I. to Scott

LA Ute
09-19-2015, 09:26 PM
Amazingly bad throw by KT on the 3rd down. We need to escape Fresno with a win and get Wilson back behind center. He's less inaccurate than KT.

U-Ute
09-19-2015, 09:27 PM
Horrible throw. He was wide open.

Mormon Red Death
09-19-2015, 09:27 PM
Can we just have Hansen in?

mpfunk
09-19-2015, 09:28 PM
We are in serious trouble with our QBs this year and next year. We have got to get the best graduate transfer we can find.

Whittingham also needs to finally hire a real QB coach.

U-Ute
09-19-2015, 09:28 PM
Hackett continues to party on.

U-Ute
09-19-2015, 09:30 PM
Man Norris and Whittingham are fast. They ran that RB down from behind.

U-Ute
09-19-2015, 09:31 PM
Paul with another tackle 1 yard shy of he first down.

LA Ute
09-19-2015, 09:33 PM
Is it just me or is Andy's kicking just a little off? His kickoffs are short, and even his extra points are not centered. It's strange to watch.

LA Ute
09-19-2015, 09:36 PM
Let's see some more of that Williams speed! And fewer of those horrible KT throws.

U-Ute
09-19-2015, 09:37 PM
@tate28: If anyone knows about fast, athletic QBs that can't throw its me. I was one of them. That's why switched to Safety. #Utes

DrumNFeather
09-19-2015, 09:38 PM
That's a terrible spot...

mpfunk
09-19-2015, 09:40 PM
@tate28: If anyone knows about fast, athletic QBs that can't throw its me. I was one of them. That's why switched to Safety. #Utes

And our future is looking like another 3 years of a safety at QB.

U-Ute
09-19-2015, 09:45 PM
Hansen showing arm strength

DrumNFeather
Low hit on Hansen

LA Ute
If only we had a QB who could throw accurately.

U-Ute
09-19-2015, 09:46 PM
KT getting into some rhythm.

LA Ute
09-19-2015, 09:46 PM
OK that was accurate

mpfunk
09-19-2015, 09:47 PM
Great example on that series why Chase Hansen should not be playing QB.

DrumNFeather
09-19-2015, 09:48 PM

Oh stop it.

U-Ute
09-19-2015, 09:48 PM
Booker. Wow.

LA Ute
09-19-2015, 09:49 PM
WOOT

LA Ute
09-19-2015, 09:49 PM
Keep watching

Diehard Ute
09-19-2015, 09:53 PM
Is it just me or is Andy's kicking just a little off? His kickoffs are short, and even his extra points are not centered. It's strange to watch.

Having to listen on the radio from work.

From the sidelines Bo Nagahi said it's intentional and he's kicking it where he's supposed to but the coverage guys aren't doing their job.

chrisrenrut
09-19-2015, 09:54 PM

:beatingdeadhorse:

LA Ute
09-19-2015, 09:55 PM
Having to listen on the radio from work.

From the sidelines Bo Nagahi said it's intentional and he's kicking it where he's supposed to but the coverage guys aren't doing their job.

That's helps but his PATS and his FG were near the uprights every time.

LA Ute
09-19-2015, 09:57 PM
Kylie Fitts is a promising DE. Has the size.

U-Ute
09-19-2015, 09:59 PM
KScott draws a PI? Shocking.

U-Ute
09-19-2015, 10:00 PM
KT takes forever to get that throw out into the flat.

LA Ute
09-19-2015, 10:02 PM
OK defense, score a TD.

DrumNFeather
09-19-2015, 10:33 PM
I believe that's out...

U-Ute
09-19-2015, 10:38 PM
What a terrible throw.

LA Ute
09-19-2015, 10:39 PM
Now why throw that ball while you're about to be tackled and it's only first down?

chrisrenrut
09-19-2015, 10:39 PM
Stupid pass. Not sure Thompson has the arm strength to throw it out the back of the end zone like he should have.

U-Ute
09-19-2015, 10:42 PM
He was outside the box. All he needed do was throw it out across the LOS.

DrumNFeather
09-19-2015, 10:42 PM
This reminds me of about 1000 MWC games we played in. Going through the motions against an inferior opponent.

mpfunk
09-19-2015, 10:47 PM
Perfect play call on that screen.

LA Ute
09-19-2015, 10:48 PM
Some good calls on this drive.

LA Ute
09-19-2015, 11:04 PM
D doing a lot of bending on this drive.

LA Ute
09-19-2015, 11:05 PM
Kylie Fitts!

LA Ute
09-19-2015, 11:07 PM
So now we give them a TD with a TAUNTING foul?

EDIT: Reciprocal stupidity saves us.

DrumNFeather
09-19-2015, 11:09 PM
Perfect play call on that screen.

Need to bring it back on this drive.

LA Ute
Butler-Bird needs to run some gassers to get over that tendency.

U-Ute
Yeah. I have to give Butler-Byrd a bit of slack here. He was walking away until he got hit by the ball. That's when he turned back over him.

LA Ute
09-19-2015, 11:14 PM
Sheesh, Kendal winds up like a baseball pitcher on his throws.

LA Ute
09-19-2015, 11:19 PM
Kendal is securing his 2nd string status. He is just too scary.

DrumNFeather
09-19-2015, 11:32 PM
Well that helps the cause.

U-Ute
09-19-2015, 11:33 PM
Special Teams: welcome to the 2015 season.

DrumNFeather
09-19-2015, 11:36 PM
Special Teams: welcome to the 2015 season.
Scalley is a wizard! ;)

DrumNFeather
09-19-2015, 11:39 PM
The 9th Habit with the punt return! (trademark pending)

Utefan51
09-19-2015, 11:42 PM
The 9th Habit with the punt return! (trademark pending)

Bahaha! I like it! The punt return was good too!

mpfunk
09-19-2015, 11:42 PM
Our special teams is very good. Our defense is great. They will both win is a lot of games.

DrumNFeather
09-19-2015, 11:43 PM
Defensive score time?

LA Ute
09-19-2015, 11:44 PM
Hey, if the offense is low octane, maybe the D and special teams can do our scoring.

DrumNFeather
09-19-2015, 11:47 PM
Travis...ditch the Pedro look. Good gravy man.

mpfunk
09-19-2015, 11:48 PM
Well Utah seems like they want to make this interesting.

mpfunk
09-19-2015, 11:51 PM
I take back the good things I've said about our defense. What a fucking joke

LA Ute
09-19-2015, 11:55 PM
There's just something about Whitt teams that lacks the killer instinct.

DrumNFeather
09-19-2015, 11:57 PM
This is a dud of a finish, but I don't really like Booker being in there.

Devildog
09-19-2015, 11:57 PM
3-0 and I'm utterly unimpressed.

LA Ute
09-19-2015, 11:58 PM

Three "blah" wins.

DrumNFeather
09-20-2015, 12:04 AM
Hey now...a style points move!

LA Ute
09-20-2015, 12:05 AM
There have been bright spots. Booker, Covey, Butler (except for the fumble), an actual passing TD (first of the season), Kylie Fitts, some really good play calling. We can still win 7-8 games.

Devildog
09-20-2015, 12:05 AM
I hear ya, but there are now only 3 unbeaten teams in the Pac-12.

Yeah brother... Our offense sucks. I hope we have some tricks up our sleeve.

DrumNFeather
09-20-2015, 12:09 AM
We'll have to earn each one. I think we are favored vs OSU and CU. Not sure about UW. Pretty sure that's it.
Still...it looks pretty wide open in the South.

Devildog
09-20-2015, 12:13 AM
UCLA didn't look impressive vs BYU. Stanford beating USC... college football. We may be more competitive than we realize based on what we've seen so far.

LA Ute
09-20-2015, 12:47 AM
13/19 on 3rd downs is another bright spot.

Diehard Ute
09-20-2015, 12:51 AM
Kyle corrected Bo on the kick offs . Said Andy isn't striking the ball like he usually does and he's fighting it a bit but they're working on it.

Devildog
09-20-2015, 02:07 AM
13/19 on 3rd downs is another bright spot.

Yes it is... but this is Fresno State. We will find out where we really stand next week. The PAC conference test will be brutal. Let's hope we are ready to meet the challenge. GO UTES!

U-Ute
09-20-2015, 09:31 AM
Yes it is... but this is Fresno State. We will find out where we really stand next week. The PAC conference test will be brutal. Let's hope we are ready to meet the challenge. GO UTES!

The MWC went 0/10 last weekend in OOC games. Did they are any better yesterday?

U-Ute
09-20-2015, 09:32 AM
DeVontae tanks Tank.

https://vine.co/v/ePW5ehvXVnD

UBlender
09-20-2015, 10:41 AM
Just catching up on this thread. How much did Utah end up losing by? I'm guessing it was a lot based on the majority of the commentary here.

Mormon Red Death
09-20-2015, 10:49 AM
Let's talk about the game.

1. We won by 3tds on the road. Can we really complain all that much?

2. We had a 2 td lead for noisy of the game. Why not get Hansen some reps? Biggest disappointment by far about the game.

3. Kendall Thompson can't throw. He has no zip on the ball. We need travis back for conference play.

4. Defensive line played great. Kyle Fitts played well. And we actually blitzed!

5. Devonte is deceptively fast. I'll say it. He's the best rb at Utah ever.

6. I thought our receivers played well. Especially blocking.

7. The last Fresno td was a great pass. He put that right on the money.

8. Phillips still looks shaky as hell

Two Utes
09-20-2015, 10:54 AM

We played with a second string QB all game. We played without our best defensive end (He and Wilson probably could have played but were held out). We played very conservatively.

Kyle just wants to win and doesn't care if he wins by 2 or by 9. This is Kyle Whittingham football, like it or not. This will always be Kyle Whittingham football, like it or not. We are going to have at least 6 games this year that are nail biters because Kyle is a defensive guy and Kyle thinks our special teams are better than most everybody else and will win it for us with field goals and field position.

Oh, and we've NEVER won in Fresno before.

Mormon Red Death
09-20-2015, 11:03 AM
BTW why do the announcers keep saying jim Harding is the offensive coordinator?

U-Ute
09-20-2015, 11:23 AM
Highlight video. Including a sideline view of Booker being mean.

@utahathletics: The Utes are 3-0 after last night's 45-24 win, which featured #BookMode and big plays on special teams. #goutes
https://t.co/R0xouLa6B9

DrumNFeather
09-20-2015, 12:00 PM
BTW why do the announcers keep saying jim Harding is the offensive coordinator?

Kyle said at one point that Jim had the final call on offensive decisions.

NorthwestUteFan
09-20-2015, 12:07 PM
I like JH calling the plays from the sideline. He and ARod are doing OK so far on playcalling.

I really wish Scott was able to haul in a big play last night. I was happy they finally hit the TE on the slant route. That play has been missing since the Murphy days.

Applejack
09-20-2015, 12:08 PM

I'd hate to see your attitude if we'd have lost one of our first three games.

USS Utah
09-20-2015, 12:45 PM
Let's talk about the game.

1. We won by 3tds on the road. Can we really complain all that much?

With a back up QB no less.

LA Ute
09-20-2015, 12:48 PM
We played with a second string QB all game. We played without our best defensive end (He and Wilson probably could have played but were held out). We played very conservatively.

Kyle just wants to win and doesn't care if he wins by 2 or by 9. This is Kyle Whittingham football, like it or not. This will always be Kyle Whittingham football, like it or not. We are going to have at least 6 games this year that are nail biters because Kyle is a defensive guy and Kyle thinks our special teams are better than most everybody else and will win it for us with field goals and field position.

Oh, and we've NEVER won in Fresno before.

Spot on.

What I liked:

The play calling was really pretty good -- that one screen call was perfect.

Kylie Fitts will be a beast before he's done.

Booker once again earned most of his yards after being hit at the line of scrimmage. But the line opened some nice holes for him. That's important improvement and I think it will continue.

The 3rd down conversions (goes along with the play-calling). 13 of 19, which we haven't seen in years.

Covey juking his way to the house on his TD runback.

Butler not giving up and taking that kickoff 99 yards to the house.

Some pretty doggone good blocking by the receivers -- another sign of improvement in an area the coaches identified as needing it.

Thompson doing a basically decent job of filling in for Wilson. He did show why he's not #1 but he got the job done, and again A-Rod called plays that Kendal could execute.

I'm still cautiously optimistic. We seem to be improving. Michigan may eventually be seen as a better win than it first seemed to be.

Whittball is never going to be flashy but I think these guys can grind out 7-8 wins. Maybe more, if certain things are cleaned up: run blocking, WR routes and completing passes downfield, Andy's shaky kicking.

We'll see. Realistic expectations will help us all stay sane.

Devildog
09-20-2015, 01:46 PM
I'd hate to see your attitude if we'd have lost one of our first three games.

This is true. We should not have lost any of the first three games. This Utah team has the talent to be good.

I just wish we could throw/complete a downfield pass.

Utefan51
09-20-2015, 02:29 PM
Anyone know if there is a scheduled replay of this game? I looked through the channel lineup and have not seen one. I would like to see the first 8.5 minutes of the game. ��

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-20-2015, 05:10 PM
Gotta love this shot of Whit's half time speech. Is there even a visitor's locker room?
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/20/60f78fa56387f4c8620e46670d6ad7d4.jpg

LA Ute
09-20-2015, 05:56 PM
Gotta love this shot of Whit's half time speech. Is there even a visitor's locker room?
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/20/60f78fa56387f4c8620e46670d6ad7d4.jpg

I was wondering about that. Kind of hard to to believe that all they have is a parking lot. Maybe it's on the way back to the stadium from the locker room?

SoCalPat
09-20-2015, 06:40 PM
Pretty sure the last time Utah played a game in the PTZ with a late night start and traveling with a QB it wasn't sure or not would play was the infamous 2007 game against UNLV. No need to rehash that game, but I'll remind you that we were only 8 point faves in that game, or almost half of what we were favored by against Fresno. And we covered with ease last night.

I didn't watch the game last night, but I followed along as best I could and have read as much as possible. We're still a decent team that struggles in spots. That description fits about 70 other teams in America, but not all of them are 3-0. We got largely what we wanted out of the non-con -- more than I think Oregon wanted. Ducks are beatable. I'm excited for next week. I think we got a real shot at winning. Without looking, I'll say the opening line is Oregon -8.

Ma'ake
09-20-2015, 06:49 PM
From the NE corner of the endzone...

Fresno was 14-2 at home in MWC games under DeRuyter, previously. I would not be surprised if several bulldogs are in traction today. We knew it would be a physical mismatch, and it was. Fresno's coaches knew exactly what we were going to do, and they were powerless to stop it. Their linemen were really hating life last night.

At one point our DL was Mokofisi and Fitts at DEs, Lotulelei and Stevie Tu'ikavalatu inside. It was painful to watch Fresno trying to get a ground game going. Dave Schramm is a very good coach, and Fresno is very young, with good potential at QB and the skills positions, but last night I was feeling badly for Schramm.

Hobbs fumbled the opening kickoff. Thompson and Joe Williams had a missed exchange, and Thompson threw up a prayer, which was rightly picked off in the endzone. Booker got snagged on what should have been a 70+ yard TD, and Siale Fakailoatonga got tripped up by the turf monster on what should have been another long TD pass play. I think Thompson passes for 300 if those two plays go as they should.

Phillips nailed his one attempt, Hackett was outstanding, CBB and Covey got some well deserved glory. Stevie T got a D-lineman's wet dream, got hurt, and most importantly, came back in. We had a completely blown coverage on their long TD - actually a very well designed play by Schramm to get our CBs out of the area and have Masina covering a great athlete. We got toasted on the onside kick, we have areas to work on, but we won by 21 on the road, cashed the check and got out of town.

Utah football is smash-mouth like every opposing coach hates to see, and the guy who admitted it, and came clean that he's glad his own smash-mouth team isn't playing us this year just went into the Coliseum and beat USC.

Diehard Ute
09-20-2015, 07:34 PM
From Corey Butler-Byrd. Maybe this explains why we hired a lawyer

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/20/b8b37f901330afe2f1bb7adc863ead5e.jpg

NorthwestUteFan
09-20-2015, 11:47 PM
From Corey Butler-Byrd. Maybe this explains why we hired a lawyer

I love Sharrief. Always have, going back to his plying days. He is such a great communicator and ambassador for the program and he has put together a strong group of DBs. IIRC we are the only school to have a DB/Safety drafted in each of the last five years.

LA Ute
09-21-2015, 07:29 AM
I love Sharrief. Always have, going back to his plying days. He is such a great communicator and ambassador for the program and he has put together a strong group of DBs. IIRC we are the only school to have a DB/Safety drafted in each of the last five years.

I admit I was an early skeptic about the hire but this one has worked out well.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-21-2015, 01:10 PM
Tough hangover in Fresno. http://www.fresnobee.com/sports/college/mountain-west/fresno-state/bulldogs-football/article35979855.html

LA Ute
09-21-2015, 01:17 PM
Tough hangover in Fresno. http://www.fresnobee.com/sports/college/mountain-west/fresno-state/bulldogs-football/article35979855.html

I feel bad for Virgil. Not so much for Greenlee. Idiot.

NorthwestUteFan
09-21-2015, 02:12 PM
I didn't realize we broke their qb. That stinks. I feel bad for Virgil. He played tough against us.

Greenlee was just a dumbass. Now Schramm will be forced to start his 3rd string qb...

U-Ute
09-21-2015, 03:20 PM
They are probably having nightmares about this...

https://vine.co/v/ePqjQ5BBJJ6

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-21-2015, 03:35 PM
They are probably having nightmares about this...

https://vine.co/v/ePqjQ5BBJJ6

I've watched that clip about 50 times and it's just insane. Any chance they're able to play both ways? Booker would probably appreciate that.