09-20-2015, 12:51 PM
Top 20 Matchup in Eugene this week.

Time: 5:45 PT (6:45 MT)
TV: Fox

Polls:
- Utah 17 (USA Today)/18 (AP)
- Oregon 13 (both)

Injuries
Utah: Wilson (shoulder), Dimick (knee). Both expected to play..?

Oregon: Adams (finger) - expected to play.

Applejack
09-20-2015, 12:59 PM
Top 20 Matchup in Eugene this week.

Time: 5:45 PT (6:45 MT)
TV: Fox

Polls:
- Utah 17 (USA Today)/18 (AP)
- Oregon 13 (both)

Injuries
Utah: Wilson (shoulder), Dimick (knee). Both expected to play..?

Oregon: Adams (finger) - expected to play.

I have disconcertingly little about Dimick's status. We could use him Saturday night.

LA Ute
09-20-2015, 02:21 PM
Interesting breakdown of Utah's stats so far this season:

Utah football: One-fourth through the season, numbers inform knowledge of 3-0 Utes (http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2970329-155/utah-football-one-fourth-through-the-season)

UTEopia
09-20-2015, 02:51 PM
I am happy that the Utes won and record wise they are where most of us believed they would be at this point in the season, but I am just not that impressed with the play of a number of position groups.

QB - I believed out QB's would be better but did not know whether it would show because of how poor our outside WR group is. Through 3 games, the QB's are who I thought they were.

OL - Perhaps the most disappointing position group. I believe the Utes would have a B+/A- OL and through I would say that they are a C-. The pass blocking has been about a B, but the run blocking has been about a D. I know that averages out to a C, but the OL group has been less than average.

TE/Slot - This group has performed a little better than I thought they would in the pass game, but have been average in run blocking. I thought they would be a C and they have probably been a C+ or B-

WR's - I thought they would be a D and they have not disappointed. They are a D.

Booker - Is a stud. Never has an open hole and always creates something.

DL - I thought they would be an A group and they have probably played a little below that simply because they have not been able to sack the QB.

LB - Paul and Norris have played A level and I figured they would.

DB - I figured this would be a B group, but I would give them a C- so far.

Special Teams - Hackett and Phillips have disappointed a little, 1 fumble and 2 TD's last night. I would put them at a B+ overall.

Redbird
09-20-2015, 03:50 PM
I just don't know if Utah is strategically capable of beating Oregon. They're vulnerable. The defense is the worst it's been in recent memory, and the offense lacks the pace and QB play of even a Darron Thomas or Jeremiah Masoli, nevermind Mariota. But can Utah capitalize with field position, big plays, and getting off the field on defense? I don't believe it.

LA Ute
09-20-2015, 04:17 PM
I just don't know if Utah is strategically capable of beating Oregon. They're vulnerable. The defense is the worst it's been in recent memory, and the offense lacks the pace and QB play of even a Darron Thomas or Jeremiah Masoli, nevermind Mariota. But can Utah capitalize with field position, big plays, and getting off the field on defense? I don't believe it.

😐 Probably right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-20-2015, 04:26 PM
I have disconcertingly little about Dimick's status. We could use him Saturday night.

Pretty sure the broadcasters mentioned last night that he practiced the last few days. I expect him to start on Saturday.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-20-2015, 04:27 PM
Interesting breakdown of Utah's stats so far this season:

Utah football: One-fourth through the season, numbers inform knowledge of 3-0 Utes (http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2970329-155/utah-football-one-fourth-through-the-season)

This makes me so sad. 25% of the season already in the books.

Scorcho
09-20-2015, 09:27 PM
so Oregon's QB has a broken finger on his throwing hand? How do you play with that?

SeattleUte
09-20-2015, 10:50 PM
LAUte, DevilUte, Redbird, you guys can just shove it. The Utes are ranked no. 17 in the land and Vegas rates them a pick 'em at Oregon. Kyle has got the Utes at the high point of even the most stupid, unreasonable of fans' expectations. We played 3 decent teams in pre-season and handled them, beat or essentially matched the spread, despite the terrible adversity of losing to injury our starting, senior quarterback. We didn't play Arkansas State and Idaho, like USC. Apparently the people who make their living evaluating the Utes regard them a lot higher than you do. So who cares what you say? Did you notice that Washington was just a 5.5 point favorite over Utah State, and Michigan is a 6 point favorite over BYU? I never thought I'd see the day when fans would rather see Chris Hill proven right than the Utes win.

utefan
09-21-2015, 04:44 AM
LAUte, DevilUte, Redbird, you guys can just shove it. The Utes are ranked no. 17 in the land and Vegas rates them a pick 'em at Oregon. Kyle has got the Utes at the high point of even the most stupid, unreasonable of fans' expectations. We played 3 decent teams in pre-season and handled them, beat or essentially matched the spread, despite the terrible adversity of losing to injury our starting, senior quarterback. We didn't play Arkansas State and Idaho, like USC. Apparently the people who make their living evaluating the Utes regard them a lot higher than you do. So who cares what you say? Did you notice that Washington was just a 5.5 point favorite over Utah State, and Michigan is a 6 point favorite over BYU? I never thought I'd see the day when fans would rather see Chris Hill proven right than the Utes win.
I agree that Utah is absolutely capable of beating Oregon. But you are wrong about them playing decent teams and covering the spread.

Michigan is the only team Utah has played that currently has a winning record.

Utah State's only win came in the season opener (at home) against Southern Utah. And by all accounts they should have lost that game. They were losing all game, and returned a punt for the winning touchdown (their only touchdown of the game) late in the game.

Also, Utah did not cover the spread against Utah State.

I do agree with you that at 3-0 and ranked in the top 20 we have a lot to be excited about. But you had a few facts wrong and that needed to be corrected.

LA Ute
09-21-2015, 07:26 AM
So who cares what you say?

Looks like you do. But rest assured: despite my thought crimes I think we might win Saturday and I would love, love, love to see that. Meanwhile I will only sip at the Kool-aid you're chugging.

Ma'ake
09-21-2015, 08:10 AM
Very interesting matchup.

I like our D right now, especially against a QB who's new to Oregon's system, I think we'll take away parts of their offense, and on long drives, we can rotate 8-9 DL, rotate LBs, rotate corners. We're equipped to deal with their style.

I'm less concerned with the actual sack count if we get good pressure on the QB. We've shown probably 20+ defensive players in different configurations.

Their OL has to be prepared for everything from Mokofisi-Lotulelei-Tu'ikovolatu-Fanaika, to Taumoepenu-Seni-Tasini-Fitts, and hopefully Dimick. A lot of starter-level players up front to prepare for, and the pressure packages have not been revealed, really much at all.

I think we're ready to throw some curveballs at Vernon Adams.

SeattleUte
09-21-2015, 08:58 AM
I agree that Utah is absolutely capable of beating Oregon. But you are wrong about them playing decent teams and covering the spread.

Michigan is the only team Utah has played that currently has a winning record.

Utah State's only win came in the season opener (at home) against Southern Utah. And by all accounts they should have lost that game. They were losing all game, and returned a point for the winning touchdown (their only touchdown of the game) late in the game.

Also, Utah did not cover the spread against Utah State.

I do agree with you that at 3-0 and ranked in the top 20 we have a lot to be excited about. But you had a few facts wrong and that needed to be corrected.

Yeah, they're bad sort of like Northern Illinois is a bad team.

SeattleUte
09-21-2015, 09:00 AM

I like our D right now, especially against a QB who's new to Oregon's system, I think we'll take away parts of their offense, and on long drives, we can rotate 8-9 DL, rotate LBs, rotate corners. We're equipped to deal with their style.

I'm less concerned with the actual sack count if we get good pressure on the QB. We've shown probably 20+ defensive players in different configurations.

Their OL has to be prepared for everything from Mokofisi-Lotulelei-Tu'ikovolatu-Fanaika, to Taumoepenu-Seni-Tasini-Fitts, and hopefully Dimick. A lot of starter-level players up front to prepare for, and the pressure packages have not been revealed, really much at all.

Maybe the galling way we gave the game away last year will give us a psychological edge.

Can Adams really play with a broken index finger?

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-21-2015, 09:19 AM
Maybe the galling way we gave the game away last year will give us a psychological edge.

Can Adams really play with a broken index finger?

He apparently played the whole Michigan State game with it. Didn't see any of that game, so I have no idea how well he threw the ball.

U-Ute
09-21-2015, 09:21 AM

Maybe it was because I'm used to seeing Mariota, or maybe it was because he hasn't developed the chemistry with his receivers yet, I was less than impressed by the accuracy of Adams in the Michigan State game.

I think our D can turn him over.

LA Ute
09-21-2015, 09:21 AM

Argh. It was 30-27, Oregon, going into the 4th quarter; should have been 34-23, Utah.

SeattleUte
09-21-2015, 10:04 AM
Argh. It was 30-27, Oregon, going into the 4th quarter; should have been 34-23, Utah.

Not only that, they lost the terrific momentum with the crowd, etc. In the NC game when Ohio State went up 14 and I heard the play by play guy say Oregon hadn't been down 14 points and won since 2011, I felt like shoving my fork through my hand. I think that first Oregon TD last season in some ways was my most painful moment as a Ute fan.

DrumNFeather
09-21-2015, 10:16 AM
Not only that, they lost the terrific momentum with the crowd, etc. In the NC game when Ohio State went up 14 and I heard the play by play guy say Oregon hadn't been down 14 points and won since 2011, I felt like shoving my fork through my hand. I think that first Oregon TD last season in some ways was my most painful moment as a Ute fan.

I bet we see that clip a half dozen times during the broadcast...minimum.

SeattleUte
09-21-2015, 10:34 AM
I bet we see that clip a half dozen times during the broadcast...minimum.

I hope Whit shows it to the team a bunch of times this week.

Damage U
09-21-2015, 10:39 AM
Maybe it was because I'm used to seeing Mariota, or maybe it was because he hasn't developed the chemistry with his receivers yet, I was less than impressed by the accuracy of Adams in the Michigan State game.

I think our D can turn him over.

With how bad our secondary gets beat occasionally, I hope that inaccuracy continues.

DrumNFeather
09-21-2015, 10:43 AM
3 Sacks by the D so far this year...we're gonna need that in the first half if we want to keep this thing close.

NorthwestUteFan
09-21-2015, 11:22 AM
Adams is a gamer. He reminds me of Jeremiah Masoli. But the index finger accounts for a large portion of the throwing power and control. If he has to wear a brace on it he will lack feel. If he is having pain in it and plays without the brace it will be a problem for him. Long passes downfield will be very difficult for him.

He had a game-winning pass play at Michigan State, and threw the pass short and into the dirt.

LA Ute
09-21-2015, 01:07 PM
I hope we see more of this Saturday night:

https://vine.co/v/ePqjQ5BBJJ6

DrumNFeather
09-21-2015, 01:22 PM
Oregon opens as a 14 point favorite.

Brian
09-21-2015, 01:28 PM

Good.

Whit tends to leverage these things well.

utefan
09-21-2015, 02:53 PM
Yeah, they're bad sort of like Northern Illinois is a bad team.
Northern Illinois barely squeaked out a win against Southern Utah in the closing minutes, at home

SeattleUte
09-21-2015, 03:03 PM
Northern Illinois barely squeaked out a win against Southern Utah in the closing minutes, at home

Actually, it was UNLV. Not much difference, though.

SeattleUte
09-21-2015, 03:06 PM

No, it opened as a pick 'em then went to -14 Oregon.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/odds/las-vegas/

U-Ute
09-21-2015, 03:07 PM
Tommy Hackenbruck (@TommyHacksaw) bringing the talk:

The last time Utah beat the Ducks was 10/3/2003 and I distinctly remember giving new meaning to the term "wedge buster" with my homie Reza Williams. Oregon has a great program but they always have been and always will be soft. I'd love to see the Utes play physical this week and come up with a huge upset on the road. U.T.E.S #hitcity (https://instagram.com/explore/tags/hitcity/) #sacklakecity (https://instagram.com/explore/tags/sacklakecity/)

https://instagram.com/p/76Cgn9Shse/ (https://t.co/u75GR3tjC3)

U-Ute
09-21-2015, 04:47 PM
AP report, Eugene Oregon:

In a new twist in the "let's keep them guessing who they have to prepare for" game, neither Oregon nor Utah will commit to actually having their teams show up for the game.

Neither coach could be reached for comment as their phones numbers were disconnected. No word on whether or not the schools are actually still open.

DrumNFeather
09-21-2015, 05:44 PM
Tommy Hackenbruck (@TommyHacksaw) bringing the talk:
I went on a blind date to that game! (did not turn out as well as the game result).

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Damage U
09-21-2015, 10:26 PM
This image is making its way around the twitter-verse.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CPcw8LgU8AAImf7.jpg

utefan
09-22-2015, 04:33 AM
Actually, it was UNLV. Not much difference, though.
There is a huge difference.

UNLV is a Mountain West school that has played a really tough schedule so far. They've lost to UCLA, Michigan, and Northern Illinois.

Southern Utah is an FCS team that has already been blown out by South Dakota State 55-10.

Northern Illinois put up 38 points against UNLV and won by 8 points. Northern Illinois took the lead for good in the 3rd quarter. They were never really in danger of losing that game.

Southern Utah had Utah State on the ropes. They lead the whole game, until Utah State returned a punt 88 yards for their only touchdown of the game with 4:54 left in the 4th quarter.

If UNLV were to play Southern Utah they would be heavy favorites.

The Northern Illinois game against UNLV is not at all comparable to the Utah State game against Southern Utah.

Devildog
09-22-2015, 07:28 PM
LAUte, DevilUte, Redbird, you guys can just shove it.

Is it too much to ask that we are capable of completing a downfield pass? :moron:

SigmaUte
09-22-2015, 08:39 PM
Is it too much to ask that we are capable of completing a downfield pass? :moron:

At this point yes.

Solon
09-22-2015, 08:57 PM
Utah State's only win came in the season opener (at home) against Southern Utah. And by all accounts they should have lost that game. They were losing all game, and returned a punt for the winning touchdown (their only touchdown of the game) late in the game.

There has been a lot of hand-wringing over Utah State's suckitude because SUU played them so tight.
SUU has a pretty solid defense. Not saying it's great, but there are some guys on there with a real shot at the NFL.

https://www.suu.edu/news/2015/09/thunderbirds-top-list-of-nfl-prospects-in-utah.html

SUU plays Utah State like Utah State plays the U. It means a lot more to one side than the other.

utes are having a fine season. Probably not a 13-0 run through conference play, but I think we might see a winning conference record again. The future is bright!

utefan
09-23-2015, 04:37 AM
There has been a lot of hand-wringing over Utah State's suckitude because SUU played them so tight.
SUU has a pretty solid defense. Not saying it's great, but there are some guys on there with a real shot at the NFL.

https://www.suu.edu/news/2015/09/thunderbirds-top-list-of-nfl-prospects-in-utah.html

SUU plays Utah State like Utah State plays the U. It means a lot more to one side than the other.

utes are having a fine season. Probably not a 13-0 run through conference play, but I think we might see a winning conference record again. The future is bright!
Southern Utah sucks. After beating Utah State, they got beat by South Dakota State 55-10 the next week.

Utah State's offense "exploded" for their season high of 17 points last week.

Look, I'm high on the Utes. I think the Utes have a real chance to win the division this season. But let's be realistic about the schedule so far.

Michigan is good, Fresno State and Utah State both suck.

DrumNFeather
09-23-2015, 05:36 AM
Southern Utah sucks. After beating Utah State, they got beat by South Dakota State 55-10 the next week.

Utah State's offense "exploded" for their season high of 17 points last week.

Look, I'm high on the Utes. I think the Utes have a real chance to win the division this season. But let's be realistic about the schedule so far.

Michigan is good, Fresno State and Utah State both suck.

I think this just means that our arrival as a P5 program is complete! One good team and a couple of patsies...sounds about right!

DrumNFeather
09-23-2015, 10:09 AM
One thing that interests me about this game is how early it is in the season. Our previous two meetings with Oregon have both taken place in November, so the overall health of our team should be better, which I think will be necessary. In particular, I think Tevin Carter and Gionni Paul will both play pivotal roles in slowing down the Ducks offense.

Speaking of the offense…

Through the first three games this year, the Ducks QBs have thrown for 783 yards with 5TDs and 2 INTs. Their main weapon, Freeman has rushed for 373 and 5 scores, while their top WR Addison has 13 grabs for 185 yards and a TD, though Byron Marshall should also be a big weapon for them.

Just for comparison’s sake, through three games last year, Mariotta had thrown for 806 yards with 8 TDs and no picks. So even if it is small, there's a bit of a drop off. Hopefully we can take advantage.

The key to this game for the Ute defense will be limiting the chunk plays, and forcing Adams into a turnover or two – and then capitalizing on those turnovers.

Defensively, Oregon gave up just over 100 yards rushing to both EWU and GSU, but nearly 200 to Michigan St. I believe our blueprint for success offensively is going to have to mirror this. Pound the rock with Booker and Williams, try to get some quick hitters over the middle with Poole, Covey, and the TEs. I want to see the TEs targeted a ton in this game. Hopefully Scott will draw a P.I. or two.

IF Utah can do all of this…and it is a tall order, then I think we’ve got a shot going into the fourth quarter.

Applejack
09-23-2015, 10:36 AM
One thing that interests me about this game is how early it is in the season. Our previous two meetings with Oregon have both taken place in November, so the overall health of our team should be better, which I think will be necessary. In particular, I think Tevin Carter and Gionni Paul will both play pivotal roles in slowing down the Ducks offense.

Speaking of the offense…

Through the first three games this year, the Ducks QBs have thrown for 783 yards with 5TDs and 2 INTs. Their main weapon, Freeman has rushed for 373 and 5 scores, while their top WR Addison has 13 grabs for 185 yards and a TD, though Byron Marshall should also be a big weapon for them.

Just for comparison’s sake, through three games last year, Mariotta had thrown for 806 yards with 8 TDs and no picks. So even if it is small, there's a bit of a drop off. Hopefully we can take advantage.

The key to this game for the Ute defense will be limiting the chunk plays, and forcing Adams into a turnover or two – and then capitalizing on those turnovers.

Defensively, Oregon gave up just over 100 yards rushing to both EWU and GSU, but nearly 200 to Michigan St. I believe our blueprint for success offensively is going to have to mirror this. Pound the rock with Booker and Williams, try to get some quick hitters over the middle with Poole, Covey, and the TEs. I want to see the TEs targeted a ton in this game. Hopefully Scott will draw a P.I. or two.

IF Utah can do all of this…and it is a tall order, then I think we’ve got a shot going into the fourth quarter.

Good write-up. I feel good about this game, but where are the points going to come from? Hopefully some special teams magic and Stevie T. gets another chance to show his wheels. We're going to need more than 20 points on offense, though. We'll see.

U-Ute
09-23-2015, 10:53 AM
The only names I know from Oregon are Vernon Davis and Royce Freeman. Someone fill me in on who else I should be afraid of? Who are they throwing to? Are there any defensive standouts yet?

Their punt returner. Bralon Addison.

vs Michigan State: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2565751-oregons-bralon-addison-takes-punt-81-yards-back-to-the-house-vs-michigan-state

vs Cal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPHGE88iX08

U-Ute
09-23-2015, 12:47 PM
Weekly presser by Helfrich about the Utah game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3NHe3SM8PQ&feature=youtu.be&a

LA Ute
09-23-2015, 01:31 PM
Is the game on Fox Sports 1?

DrumNFeather
09-23-2015, 01:41 PM
Is the game on Fox Sports 1?

Fox...the big Fox.

Diehard Ute
09-23-2015, 01:49 PM
The only names I know from Oregon are Vernon Davis and Royce Freeman. Someone fill me in on who else I should be afraid of? Who are they throwing to? Are there any defensive standouts yet?

How does Vernon Davis handle college on Saturday and the NFL on Sunday? ;)

Diehard Ute
09-23-2015, 01:50 PM
Fox...the big Fox.

Guessing tooblue will complain he can't find Fox in Canada.

U-Ute
09-23-2015, 02:04 PM
Guessing tooblue will complain he can't find Fox in Canada.

The socialists have won.

SeattleUte
09-23-2015, 04:17 PM
Forget about the games other than Michigan State. Those are not legitimate tests. Clearly we need to rip some big yardage on the ground like OSU did in the NC game. The Ducks seem vulnerable there. This would keep their offense off the field longer too. The obvious keys: 1) Ball control, 1)a) ground game, 3) stop Oregon big plays.

LA Ute
09-23-2015, 04:28 PM
Recognizing that the guy he's juking here is the punter, it's still a fun move to watch:

http://riseandshout.net/images/covey-fsu-shake.gif

I'd love to see some of this against Oregon.

U-Ute
09-23-2015, 04:40 PM
Keys to winning IMO:

Booker needs 150+ combined yards (running+receiving)
We can't lose the turnover battle
Our special teams need to perform at a high level. Keep the field in our favor, don't allow a big return. Get one or two of our own.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-23-2015, 04:49 PM
A picture of Vernon Adams' throwing hand from practice today.

SeattleUte
09-23-2015, 05:28 PM
Keys to winning IMO:

Booker needs 150+ combined yards (running+receiving)
We can't lose the turnover battle
Our special teams need to perform at a high level. Keep the field in our favor, don't allow a big return. Get one or two of our own.

We can do this. I keep imagining the following conversation between Cardale Jones and Meyer or the OC in the NC game:

Jones: "Coach, what shall we do now?"

Coach: "How about you just take the ball from center and run it off tackle. That seems to be working REALLY well."

Jones sneaks and goes for 16 yards.

The Ducks were incapable of stopping just the most basic smash mouth offense that OSU threw at them over and over.

LA Ute
09-25-2015, 08:19 AM
In good hands: Utah's undersized Britain Covey coming up big
(http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/116258/in-good-hands-utahs-undersized-britain-covey-coming-up-big)

Redbird
09-25-2015, 09:17 AM
ESPN GameDay Kickoff for Week 4 (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/page/gamedaykickoff2015week4/gameday-kickoff-road-games-shake-playoff-picture-college-football)

Upset watch: Utah at Oregon. The health of both starting quarterbacks remains a question, but Utah's defense could be the difference in the game. Utah is allowing 105.7 rushing yards per game, and Oregon is 1-6 since Mark Helfrich's first season as the offensive coordinator at Oregon (2009) when it has been held to fewer than 140 rushing yards, including the Ducks' loss to Michigan State in Week 2.

LA Ute
09-25-2015, 11:09 AM

LA Ute
09-25-2015, 11:05 PM
Statistically Speaking - Utah at Oregon

http://www.blocku.com/2015/9/24/9394353/statistically-speaking-utah-at-oregon

OrangeUte
09-26-2015, 10:40 AM
On my way to the game. I will see HFN before the game. I'm so looking forward to this game!

U-Ute
09-26-2015, 03:25 PM
Game day is here!

https://vine.co/v/exwbK2n0bxm

Devildog
09-26-2015, 03:29 PM
I think this game is going to be tough. If we can sustain drives and keep it close we can win. Biggest stage, the Utes gotta lot of work to do. I'm cautiously optimistic. These Ducks don't lose much at home. It would be HUGE if the Utes can get it done.

GO UTES!

U-Ute
09-26-2015, 06:12 PM
Pre game.

https://vine.co/v/exdgDpg9HTO

DrumNFeather
09-26-2015, 06:17 PM
Per Piper, Dimick and Patrick traveled, but won't play.

Diehard Ute
09-26-2015, 06:37 PM
Per Piper kickoff now set for 6:50 Mountain Daylight Time

DrumNFeather
09-26-2015, 06:53 PM
Per Piper kickoff now set for 6:50 Mountain Daylight Time

AND, Oregon will receive...or did.

mpfunk
09-26-2015, 07:06 PM
If we can keep stopping the run like this I like our chances.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

DrumNFeather
09-26-2015, 07:09 PM
Solid start by the D. Gotta put a drive together here.

mpfunk
09-26-2015, 07:12 PM
Loved the design on that play on the long run by Wilson.

mpfunk
09-26-2015, 07:13 PM
Keep it on the ground. The Ducks can't stop a decent run attack. Use clock and keep stuffing the run. Force Adams to beat you with the pass.

DrumNFeather
09-26-2015, 07:14 PM
Hey A Rod...how about a slant?

mpfunk
09-26-2015, 07:15 PM
Running it was the right call, but horribly executed.

DrumNFeather
09-26-2015, 07:16 PM
Keep it on the ground. The Ducks can't stop a decent run attack. Use clock and keep stuffing the run. Force Adams to beat you with the pass.
Game plan has been good so far. If we keep stopping Adams, how long until we see the other guy?

DrumNFeather
09-26-2015, 07:17 PM
Running it was the right call, but horribly executed.
Looked like Scott had a size mismatch, but I'm glad we came away with points.

Brian
09-26-2015, 07:18 PM
So far so good. Nice drive.

mpfunk
09-26-2015, 07:22 PM
I've been really impressed with the game A-Rod is calling right now.

Freeman is a beast and I'm shocked how well we have contained him so far.

mpfunk
09-26-2015, 07:23 PM
Game plan has been good so far. If we keep stopping Adams, how long until we see the other guy?

I'm not sure there is another good option. Here is the thing that I don't get with Oregon and where Helfrich has failed. Oregon had 3 years to plan for Mariota being gone and it doesn't really look like they had a plan.

Brian
09-26-2015, 07:25 PM
I'm not sure there is another good option. Here is the thing that I don't get with Oregon and where Helfrich has failed. Oregon had 3 years to plan for Mariota being gone and it doesn't really look like they had a plan.

Sounds familiar.......

mpfunk
09-26-2015, 07:29 PM
Well shit. This is why we can't beat Oregon. A quarter of great work f'd up by one bad play.

mpfunk
09-26-2015, 07:32 PM
As great as I felt a few minutes ago, I now have a really bad feeling. Stop throwing the ball, something bad is going to happen.

DrumNFeather
09-26-2015, 07:34 PM
Solid first quarter. Have to have to have to be sound in every facet of the game.

mpfunk
09-26-2015, 07:37 PM
That was both roughing the passer and PI.

DrumNFeather
09-26-2015, 07:43 PM
The 9th Habit!

Redbird
09-26-2015, 07:44 PM
brilliant play call. Wilson has looked very sharp tonight.

mpfunk
09-26-2015, 07:49 PM
We need to do everything possible to make sure Covey doesn't serve a mission.

mpfunk
09-26-2015, 07:55 PM
Let's get that 14 point lead that we should have had last year and see what happens.

DrumNFeather
09-26-2015, 07:56 PM
Throw game!

mpfunk
09-26-2015, 07:56 PM
Alright defense, keep it up the offense has finally come to play this year.

DrumNFeather
09-26-2015, 07:57 PM
Don't...DO NOT let them back in this game boys!

mpfunk
09-26-2015, 08:09 PM
We are going to need At least another 17 points to win this game.

DrumNFeather
09-26-2015, 08:13 PM
Repp!

DrumNFeather
09-26-2015, 08:13 PM
Outstanding answer to the Ducks drive.

mpfunk
09-26-2015, 08:17 PM
Hold them and I will feel really good about this half

mpfunk
09-26-2015, 08:19 PM
Take a knee.

chrisrenrut
09-26-2015, 08:21 PM
Hold them and I will feel really good about this half

You are far too easy to please. :)

Redbird
09-26-2015, 08:34 PM
defense allows one scoring drive, and that's the best half of football Travis Wilson has played in a Utah uniform. Absolutely superb.

DrumNFeather
09-26-2015, 08:36 PM
We need a Kyle "go out and finish this thing" speech

LA Ute
09-26-2015, 08:44 PM
Looks like we are winning in every statistical category, and it's not close. Be nice to get some turnovers in the second half. I can't watch, but I will look forward to watching the recording!

DrumNFeather
09-26-2015, 08:46 PM
This is unreal

mpfunk
09-26-2015, 08:49 PM
Way to go Utes that drive might be enough to demoralize them and put this thing away. What will demoralize them for sure would be a 3 and out by the defense. I feel bad for HFN though, he is good people and this has to be painful for him.

Redbird
09-26-2015, 08:50 PM
hell yeah. what an offensive performance.

DrumNFeather
09-26-2015, 08:51 PM
Way to go Utes that drive might be enough to demoralize them and put this thing away. What will demoralize them for sure would be a 3 and out by the defense. I feel bad for HFN though, he is good people and this has to be painful for him.
They score too quickly for it to be over...we just need to keep going.

mpfunk
09-26-2015, 08:54 PM
That is another way to demoralize them. 40 points. Get this thing to 40 points and we got this thing.

chrisrenrut
09-26-2015, 08:55 PM
Pick Lake City!

Redbird
wow!!!

DrumNFeather
That makes me feel better...

mpfunk
09-26-2015, 08:56 PM
Way to go for the jugular. I'm starting to wonder if the Utes have been holding back. A-Rod has called a brilliant game. We might even have the same OC next year.

I think we got this thing. The Ducks can score quick and score in bunches, but this is a 28 point game and we can ride Booker to kill the clock. We have got this.

DrumNFeather
09-26-2015, 08:57 PM
Way to go for the jugular. I'm starting to wonder if the Utes have been holding back. A-Rod has called a brilliant game. We might even have the same OC next year.

I think we got this thing. The Ducks can score quick and score in bunches, but this is a 28 point game and we can ride Booker to kill the clock. We have got this.
I almost don't recognize this team...but I love what I'm seeing.

Redbird
09-26-2015, 08:58 PM
wow!!!

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-26-2015, 08:59 PM
This is awesome! I look forward to giving up my # 1 spot in the prediction contest!

mpfunk
09-26-2015, 09:01 PM
Royce Freeman is the best back we are going to face this year and we have stopped him. Really really impressive performance.

utefan
09-26-2015, 09:03 PM
I can't effing believe this! Wow!

I agree with mpfunk, I think the Utes have been holding back so far this season.

What a performance! And BYU got blown out so we won't even have to suffer through their hype. This week is all about Utah baby!

And A-Rod, wow! Lock this guy into a long term contract right now!

mpfunk
09-26-2015, 09:03 PM
I can live with the Ducks moving the ball right now. They are going to score, but what we have to do is to make them take 5+ minutes to score. The only shot they have is quick strikes. Utes need to keep everything in front of them. Force the Ducks to sustain drives, which honestly they are not good at. They are good at quick strikes. Even with Super Mariota, they didn't have long sustained drives.

mpfunk
09-26-2015, 09:04 PM
For example, that is the type of play that we need to avoid.

LA Ute
09-26-2015, 09:06 PM
When we get the ball back a long, clock-eatlng drive would be great

LA Ute
09-26-2015, 09:08 PM
So do we want Kyle to protect the lead or pour it on?

mpfunk
09-26-2015, 09:09 PM
Glad we have depth on the dline, but losing both Fitts and Dimmick is going to hurt a ton.

mpfunk
09-26-2015, 09:10 PM
HATFIELD, HATFIELD, HATFIELD. The redemption story of the year. Stick it to those racist mother fucking police officers.

LA Ute
09-26-2015, 09:11 PM
Is that pick the back breaker? Lots of time left....

Redbird
what a pick! this game is over, and we still have 25 minutes left.

mpfunk
So do we want Kyle to protect the lead or pour it on?

It is time to ride Booker and use clock. Right now, we don't need more points. Any possession where we eat 4+ minutes of clock is a win.

DrumNFeather
09-26-2015, 09:18 PM
Our Punter just hit a wire...Hackett for Guy 2015!

mpfunk
09-26-2015, 09:20 PM
God is a Ute fan. That is the only explanation for this. God is a Ute fan.

God is good.

Applejack
our punter just hit a wire...hackett for guy 2015!

Sent from my lg-d800 using tapatalk

ray guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DrumNFeather
Where is Joe Glenn to give Kyle the finger? :)

LA Ute
09-26-2015, 09:21 PM
Hackett!! LOL

Redbird
09-26-2015, 09:21 PM
Tom Hackett cares not for your camera wires.

mpfunk
09-26-2015, 09:23 PM
If we aren't in the top 10 this week, something is seriously wrong. I'm not sure we are one of the 10 best teams in the country, but we have the resume for it.

mpfunk
09-26-2015, 09:25 PM
Profanity

RAY GUY MOTHER FUCKER

mpfunk
09-26-2015, 09:26 PM
Caleb Repp. Give this guy more time.

chrisrenrut
Interviewer: So Mr. Repp, what is your role on the team.

Repp: I score touchdowns.

DrumNFeather
I think I had this Repp thing in the preseason...(pats self on back)

utefan
09-26-2015, 09:27 PM
Time to put in all the backups. No need to risk injury to any starters at this point. This game is well in the bag.

DrumNFeather
09-26-2015, 09:27 PM
Caleb Repp. Give this guy more time.
Keep him off our defense...I'm looking at you, Kyle!

mpfunk
09-26-2015, 09:28 PM
For a little perspective, Caleb Repp now has 2 more TDs in his career than Devon Blackmon has in his entire career. Maybe the rejecting Blackmon's LOI story is legit.

mpfunk
09-26-2015, 09:31 PM
I like Boobie.

DrumNFeather
09-26-2015, 09:31 PM
Literally, everything is going well for us.

DrumNFeather
09-26-2015, 09:32 PM
Like we've been saying...Chase Hansen time.

Applejack
09-26-2015, 09:33 PM
Hahahahahahhahabhabababbaahahahahahaaaaahahaababab a

DrumNFeather
09-26-2015, 09:33 PM
Helfrich just has no idea what to do.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-26-2015, 09:39 PM
I'm giddy. There's no other word.

mpfunk
09-26-2015, 09:40 PM
Utes need to shut it down. Play our hopefully future All-American LBer, Chase Hanson. If I'm Oregon, I also shut this thing down as well.

mpfunk
09-26-2015, 09:43 PM
Sack lake city is back.

DrumNFeather
09-26-2015, 09:45 PM
Utes need to shut it down. Play our hopefully future All-American LBer, Chase Hanson. If I'm Oregon, I also shut this thing down as well.
Hey...even in jest you aren't allowed to be a jerk about the QBs on our team. Not this game. Not tonight.

Redbird
09-26-2015, 09:45 PM
Most points given up by Oregon at Autzen since 2003.

mpfunk
09-26-2015, 09:50 PM
Hey...even in jest you aren't allowed to be a jerk about the QBs on our team. Not this game. Not tonight.

I agree. I take it back.

Oh and for the record

Profanity and doing my best to combat the Elder's Quorum Vibe

RAY GUY MOTHER FUCKER

Applejack
09-26-2015, 09:51 PM
This rules!

DrumNFeather
09-26-2015, 09:52 PM
I agree. I take it back.

Oh and for the record

RAY GUY MOTHER FUCKER
Fair enough!

DrumNFeather
09-26-2015, 09:54 PM
I just love everything about this game.

mpfunk
09-26-2015, 09:54 PM
I'm not sure that I'll watch another Ute game in my lifetime where everything goes right like this.

On the plus side, it is pretty standard for a Blackhawks game for everything to work out. STANLEY CUP REPEAT.

Devildog
09-26-2015, 09:55 PM
I agree. I take it back.

Oh and for the record

RAY GUY MOTHER FUCKER

Hell Yeah! Who the fawk saw this coming? Hell Yeah!

mpfunk
09-26-2015, 09:55 PM
I want 70. I want 70.

chrisrenrut
09-26-2015, 09:56 PM
Un-be-leivable!

:jig:

Applejack
09-26-2015, 09:57 PM
I'm not sure that I'll watch another Ute game in my lifetime where everything goes right like this.

On the plus side, it is pretty standard for a Blackhawks game for everything to work out. STANLEY CUP REPEAT.

Gtfo. This thread is about how everything we touch turns to bbq sauce. UTAH

LA Ute
09-26-2015, 09:57 PM
This has become a video game.

AnestheUte
09-26-2015, 09:58 PM
I am SO giddy right now! The whole team seems like they've locked in. You know that Kaelin Clay is somewhere smiling right now and saying thank you.

chrisrenrut
09-26-2015, 09:59 PM

Keep that sh*t in your own personal mullet thread.

Redbird
09-26-2015, 09:59 PM
61 at Oregon.

Statement win for Utah. Whitt's best win since 2008. Wow.

Redbird
09-26-2015, 10:00 PM

Fuck the hawks.

Applejack
09-26-2015, 10:01 PM
If we score, do we go for two?

Applejack
09-26-2015, 10:03 PM
What does the chart say?

This game? Go for three!

mpfunk
09-26-2015, 10:03 PM
Keep that sh*t in your own personal mullet thread.

I'm a Blackhawks fan first, and everything else fan second. I can't stop, just like the Utes can't stop scoring tonight.

LA Ute
09-26-2015, 10:04 PM
Most points given up by Oregon at Autzen since 2003.

Now it's more than they've ever given up at home.

mpfunk
09-26-2015, 10:04 PM
Fuck the hawks.

It makes me so happy to see you around here to say that again. I do feel really bad for the Blues. They have such a great team, but they put it together during the Blackhawks Dynasty era. It is like Stockton/Malone in the Jordan era.

Applejack
09-26-2015, 10:05 PM
Finally, Chase hanson.

Redbird
09-26-2015, 10:06 PM
It makes me so happy to see you around here to say that again. I do feel really bad for the Blues. They have such a great team, but they put it together during the Blackhawks Dynasty era. It is like Stockton/Malone in the Jordan era.

:mad:

Applejack
09-26-2015, 10:07 PM

Gtfo with this hockey crap. This thread should be a pristine example of all that is of good report. This is your highlight as a Ute: enjoy it.

mpfunk
09-26-2015, 10:08 PM
Profanity

RAY GUY MOTHER FUCKER

mpfunk
09-26-2015, 10:11 PM
Gtfo with this hockey crap. This thread should be a pristine example of all that is of good report. This is your highlight as a Ute: enjoy it.

I don't apologize and I don't take it back.

LA Ute
09-26-2015, 10:11 PM
Did anyone even dream....

chrisrenrut
09-26-2015, 10:12 PM

But he just can't help himself :(

Ma'ake
09-26-2015, 10:14 PM
Every oneis familiar with the term "game plan". What we're seeing from KW and staff is a "season plan".

It was so obvious vs Fresno that we were holding back, a LOT.

Everyone was uneasy after the previous games because we'd shown very, very little, particularly via the air game.

Our talent level has gotten to the point where we can present very, very different looks, from from week to week, and not lose cohesion, discipline, intensity.

Great time for a BYE, too, we'll get any excessive euphoria completely out of their systems.

Applejack
09-26-2015, 10:14 PM
Crap, they scored. I'm going to bed. I love all of you, everything, and all things Utah! Kiyi. #bookerforheisman

LA Ute
09-26-2015, 10:17 PM
It's great to see our Ray Guy winner back on track.

LA Ute
09-26-2015, 10:18 PM
I'd guess A-Rod's future is looking OK at the moment....

Solon
09-26-2015, 10:21 PM
I am SO giddy right now! The whole team seems like they've locked in. You know that Kaelin Clay is somewhere smiling right now and saying thank you.

This is what I thought. Last year's Clay Game has a helluva sequel.
Unreal.

Devildog
09-26-2015, 10:23 PM
I am sooo happy to see a potent powerful balanced offense! The defense kicked gigantic ass as we knew they would need to in order to win. But a Utah passing attack? HELL YEAH! Travis had his best game ever!

chrisrenrut
09-26-2015, 10:24 PM
It's great to see our Ray Guy winner back on track.

What do you think? Was the fake punt designed, or spontaneous by Hackett due to the bad snap? Hopefully someone will ask the and we find out, but it looked to me like it was Hacket's decision.

LA Ute
09-26-2015, 10:28 PM
What do you think? Was the fake punt designed, or spontaneous by Hackett due to the bad snap? Hopefully someone will ask the and we find out, but it looked to me like it was Hacket's decision.

We'll see what Kyle says post game.

Brian
09-26-2015, 10:35 PM
Best regular season win ever?

Other than the kickoff return defense, I didn't see any mistakes in this game. Near perfect.
I hope this gives the offense a lot of confidence to build on.
Hard time sleeping tonight.

AnestheUte
09-26-2015, 10:36 PM
ESPN PAC-12 Blog

What the win means for Utah: The Utes have put the conference on notice with their defense and special teams looking as good as they have and their offense showing up and getting the job done. They didn't just beat Oregon on the road. They gave the Ducks their worst loss since the 2003 season when Oregon lost to Arizona State by 45 points. The toughest road test Utah has the rest of the year is at USC (Oct. 24) but it welcomes Arizona State and UCLA to Rice-Eccles Stadium. If Wilson stays healthy and the pass game continues to progress, this is a team that could be the Pac-12 champion at the end of the day.I like the sound of this.

Redbird
09-26-2015, 10:42 PM
best regular season win ever?

Other than the kickoff return defense, i didn't see any mistakes in this game. Near perfect.

2008 tcu.

LA Ute
09-26-2015, 10:45 PM
I like the sound of this.

So so I!

Applejack
09-26-2015, 10:46 PM
I like the sound of this.

Too soon. Let's party: we just pulled an Oregon on Oregon.

Brian
09-26-2015, 10:47 PM
2008 tcu.

maybe, but that was at home.

Applejack
09-26-2015, 10:50 PM
Best regular season win ever?

Other than the kickoff return defense, I didn't see any mistakes in this game. Near perfect.

Absolutely. Most complete game I ever witnessed by a Utah squad. This is why you cheer for a team, thru thick and thin, for over 30 years: the joy of a complete piledriving is indescribable.

AnestheUte
09-26-2015, 10:51 PM
Too soon. Let's party: we just pulled an Oregon on Oregon.

Not my words. ESPN. I simply enjoy the positive energy.

But you are right really. Don't get TOO high on this one. We've still got more games to play, and many of them will be really tough. Hopefully the team can celebrate, enjoy the praise, and then re-focus and make this win actually mean something for this season.

LA Ute
09-26-2015, 10:53 PM
So this is a statement win, as Bill Riley said just now on the post-game show. Is it a signature win too? (Yes, I'm trolling SU.)

Applejack
09-26-2015, 10:54 PM
Not my words. ESPN. I simply enjoy the positive energy.

But you are right really. Don't get TOO high on this one. We've still got more games to play, and many of them will be really tough. Hopefully the team can celebrate, enjoy the praise, and then re-focus and make this win actually mean something for this season.

There are going to be plenty of lows this year (yes, we will lose a game) but you need to savor the highs when they happen. And this high tops them all.

Solon
09-26-2015, 10:54 PM
So this is a statement win, as Bill Riley said just now on the post-game show. Is it a signature win too? (Yes, I'm trolling SU.)

i guess Oregon didn't want to be there.

LA Ute
09-26-2015, 10:57 PM
i guess Oregon didn't want to be there.

LOL.

By the way, does anyone know if this game will be on next week's episode of "The Drive?"

chrisrenrut
09-26-2015, 10:59 PM
Crap, they scored. I'm going to bed. I love all of you, everything, and all things Utah! Kiyi. #bookerforheisman

There are going to be plenty of lows this year (yes, we will lose a game) but you need to savor the highs when they happen. And this high tops them all.

Posting in your sleep ;)

I'm not going to be able to sleep for a while tonight. Tomorrow will be a fun day, reading articles,watching highlights, seeing BYU fans avoid eye contact.

Applejack
09-26-2015, 11:01 PM
Posting in your sleep ;)

I'm not going to be able to sleep for a while tonight. Tomorrow will be a fun day, reading articles,watching highlights, seeing BYU fans avoid eye contact.

I tried. UTAH.

Redbird
09-26-2015, 11:04 PM
maybe, but that was at home.

Oregon is a great program, but TCU was a MWC rival, and they had so much talent on that roster. And while there's an argument for winning emphatically, it's easier to ascribe importance/significance to a close come-from-behind win.

LA Ute
09-26-2015, 11:18 PM
Notes from KW post game interview:

Our guys need the BYE week to get healed up. It's coming at a good time.

Team bought in to preparation for this game more than ever before.

Pressure on the Duck QB was exactly what Pease had planned.

Coaches have always known the OL players are talented, and now they are "starting to show up."

"I love Devontae Booker."

The fake punt was planned. The high snap almost ruined it.

Kickoff coverage needs to improve. That starts with Andy kicking the ball a little better.

"I can't tell you how much I love this group of guys."

scottie
09-26-2015, 11:39 PM
Any reports/pics of Whit crowd surfing in the locker room?

LA Ute
09-26-2015, 11:41 PM

I'm not allowed to discuss anything remotely related to our long-time rivals.

scottie
09-26-2015, 11:46 PM

Taking that as a Yes!

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/26/b9fb740cf856246d22783f10f5058cac.jpg

LA Ute
09-26-2015, 11:52 PM
Hmm. SportsCenter showed Ute highlights but pretty much summarized the game with "Oregon was awful." Too bad.

AnestheUte
09-26-2015, 11:56 PM
Hmm. SportsCenter showed Ute highlights but pretty much summarized the game with "Oregon was awful." Too bad.

At this point do we expect anything more than that? A narrative where Utah just plain out-planned, outplayed, and completely embarrassed one of their darlings would be out of place.

Devildog
09-26-2015, 11:57 PM

Taking that as a Yes!

Take that shit outta this thread. Containment people... no room here for that shit. Couldn't care less about those assclowns.

U-Ute
09-27-2015, 12:03 AM

Finally got some juice to my phone and streaming Salt Lake radio on my phone. I heard Whittingham comment on this.

On the first punt they noticed Oregon didn't cover it right. They figured if Oregon lined up the same way they would run it. The rest is history.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-27-2015, 12:12 AM

How funny is this?! I hope he make it his FB profile picture!

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/26/e71ac2f2d3e1abde6a45c01edf7a2dee.jpg

Devildog
09-27-2015, 12:14 AM
How funny is this?! I hope he make it his FB profile picture!

Kyle doesn't do dork.

chrisrenrut
09-27-2015, 12:53 AM
The neon D&F stays on all night tonight.

U-Ute
09-27-2015, 12:58 AM
That is the kind of defeat that makes a program introspective. It reminds me of when TCU clobbered us. We never recovered during that season. Hell I'm not sure we recovered until tonight.

AnestheUte
09-27-2015, 01:12 AM
Clay basically tweeted what I thought. After all that could have been last year, I knew he'd find some solace in this.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-27-2015, 01:17 AM
My favorite post game clip.

"Did that surprise anybody?!"
"NO!!!!"

https://twitter.com/utahathletics/status/647993339942338560

justaute
09-27-2015, 03:01 AM
Wow

justaute
09-27-2015, 03:11 AM
An Oregon fan said..."Utah pulled out their popsicle, wrapped it around our neck, and choked us to death with it". That's some funny stuff. haha

Devildog
09-27-2015, 03:51 AM
Love this... period.

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2015/09/ducks_coach_mark_helfrich_on_l.html

Ma'ake
09-27-2015, 05:21 AM
You're never as good as you think you are, you're never as bad as you think you are.

We really need this BYE week, for reasons we typically don't experience.

"We're really going to miss Sitake". "The OC merry go round is why Kyle is in over his head". Etc. Remember when this vein of thinking was so strong? It definitely *felt* tough, but all of these high anxiety concerns boiled down to Kyle's reaction once the sparring with Chris Hill settled down, and his extension was agreed upon: "It's unfortunate that got out in the press", ie, No.... Big..... Deal.....

We're going to see a different set of challenges, now, the type Majerus used to talk about.

Just relax, put on your inter-locking UU hat in 13 days, realize we're not likely going to just roll Cal like they're Fresno, and be resilient.

Diehard Ute
09-27-2015, 06:24 AM
You're never as good as you think you are, you're never as bad as you think you are.

We really need this BYE week, for reasons we typically don't experience.

"We're really going to miss Sitake". "The OC merry go round is why Kyle is in over his head". Etc. Remember when this vein of thinking was so strong? It definitely *felt* tough, but all of these high anxiety concerns boiled down to Kyle's reaction once the sparring with Chris Hill settled down, and his extension was agreed upon: "It's unfortunate that got out in the press", ie, No.... Big..... Deal.....

We're going to see a different set of challenges, now, the type Majerus used to talk about.

Just relax, put on your inter-locking UU hat in 13 days, realize we're not likely going to just roll Cal like they're Fresno, and be resilient.

Don't you mean roll Cal like they're Oregon? ;)

Rocker Ute
09-27-2015, 06:27 AM
HATFIELD, HATFIELD, HATFIELD. The redemption story of the year. Stick it to those racist mother fucking police officers.

Huh?

Rocker Ute
09-27-2015, 06:33 AM
If Utah plays like that the rest of the season we'll be in the playoffs. The problem is the PAC12 is filled with teams that are good at not letting you play like that.

But I haven't been this excited for a win since... Well last year when we beat USC... But this year there is a lot of hope tied to this one.

It's a great day to be a Ute.

LA Ute
09-27-2015, 08:07 AM
I was thinking about some of the dividends this win will pay. One of them is the respect opponents now have to give Utah's passing game in general. Booker will probably have his best games over the rest of the season as opponents realize they can't key on him or stack the box. More specifically, DBs will think twice about selling out on the pass when Book is given the ball in the backfield. They'll know he can chuck a tight spiral to one of those WRs out there. Are the WRs coming to block them? Or will one of the WRs suddenly slip past them to the end zone? :Evil:

LA Ute
09-27-2015, 08:13 AM
This is a must-read:

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/outkick-s-top-ten-for-week-four-2015-092615

U-Ute
09-27-2015, 08:14 AM
Covey is hilarious. What a great kid.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/27/b7dc52d181e3543012c799bfc3607aa7.jpg

Ma'ake
09-27-2015, 08:26 AM
We really another thread, specifically about deception. I could tell vs USU and Fresno we weren't even coming close to showing everything, and I also knew the chemistry among the offensive coaching staff was light years better than last year, but I don't think anybody expected *that*.

My best hunch is Oregon was much softer this year and they definitely sagged, but just about everything we tried worked, nearly to perfection. We heard about Caleb Repp, we heard CBB would be used on offense, we knew Covey was something special, and I think most people on this site recognized that while not perfect, Travis is a seasoned warrior who can be very good.

The punt return fake was beyond brilliant. Hats off to Scalley, but I'd like to know who saw that in film. The punt return game will benefit, because future coverage teams will be looking way up to avoid getting on SportsCenter, the wrong way.

concerned
09-27-2015, 08:33 AM
We really another thread, specifically about deception. I could tell vs USU and Fresno we weren't even coming close to showing everything, and I also knew the chemistry among the offensive coaching staff was light years better than last year, but I don't think anybody expected *that*.

My best hunch is Oregon was much softer this year and they definitely sagged, but just about everything we tried worked, nearly to perfection. We heard about Caleb Repp, we heard CBB would be used on offense, we knew Covey was something special, and I think most people on this site recognized that while not perfect, Travis is a seasoned warrior who can be very good.

The punt return fake was beyond brilliant. Hats off to Scalley, but I'd like to know who saw that in film. The punt return game will benefit, because future coverage teams will be looking way up to avoid getting on SportsCenter, the wrong way.

Post game, Whit said the punt return fake was all Sharieff

UtahsMrSports
09-27-2015, 08:38 AM
Post game, Whit said the punt return fake was all Sharieff

Sharieff went on twitter right after that and gave all the credit to Scalley, so who knows.

UtahsMrSports
09-27-2015, 08:41 AM
That is going to go down as one of those games not unlike the BYU game in 2011 where everything clicked into place and you kind of had to see it to believe it. If you were some guy looking at the espn app last night, you would have laughed and said "typo, theyll correct that I'm sure."

I really hope Travis can stay healthy all year. We are night and day better with him at the helm.

concerned
09-27-2015, 08:44 AM
anybody hear the nature or severity of Kylie Fitts injury?

Ma'ake
09-27-2015, 08:48 AM
Sharieff went on twitter right after that and gave all the credit to Scalley, so who knows.

I'll believe Whitt on this mystery... but last night revealed *really* good chemistry among the coaches.

We have the seasoned masters, DE and Pease, we have offensive chemistry between ARod and Harding (and probably Powell, too) we have Scalley and Shah, with Justin Ena to join them, and Pease.

Last season Sitake did a great job of dealing with his built up frustrations, and Whitt going over the top of him to get the defense to make a damn play at CU was probably the last straw, for him, but I'm not seeing much evidence of dissention among the coaches. It was clear that Christensen was really bad last year, and credit to DE, ARod and everyone else for dealing with it.

U-Ute
09-27-2015, 08:52 AM
I have lot of new friends in Corvallis this morning.

concerned
09-27-2015, 08:53 AM
I'll believe Whitt on this mystery... but last night revealed *really* good chemistry among the coaches.

We have the seasoned masters, DE and Pease, we have offensive chemistry between ARod and Harding (and probably Powell, too) we have Scalley and Shah, with Justin Ena to join them, and Pease.

Last season Sitake did a great job of dealing with his built up frustrations, and Whitt going over the top of him to get the defense to make a damn play at CU was probably the last straw, for him, but I'm not seeing much evidence of dissention among the coaches. It was clear that Christensen was really bad last year, and credit to DE, ARod and everyone else for dealing with it.

What is the Sitake CU story? I havent heard about it.

LA Ute
09-27-2015, 08:54 AM
PAC-12 Network highlights from the game:

Highlights: No. 18 Utah dominates No. 13 Oregon at Autzen

http://pac-12.com/videos/highlights-no-18-utah-dominates-no-13-oregon-autzen

Gotta love that headline.

Redbird
09-27-2015, 08:57 AM
That is going to go down as one of those games not unlike the BYU game in 2011 where everything clicked into place and you kind of had to see it to believe it.

You mention that game, and there are a lot of parallels.

We had a bye week after that win, too, followed by a P12 home game (Washington). We lost Wilson right before half, and the 2nd half was a shitshow.

This win can mean a lot if it's followed by more wins, and Whit has to find a way to keep his team focused on prep.

LA Ute
09-27-2015, 08:57 AM
Hoping Husky Free Northwest will drop by.

LA Ute
09-27-2015, 09:02 AM
What is the Sitake CU story? I havent heard about it.

Stake became very unhappy about his D defense always having to bail out the offense. Kyle publicly calling out the D in the CU game was, according to some, the last straw.

concerned
09-27-2015, 09:11 AM
Stake became very unhappy about his D defense always having to bail out the offense. Kyle publicly calling out the D in the CU game was, according to some, the last straw.

And I thought it was all because hill wouldn't give him the contract extension at the beginning of the year plus the fact that generally he likes GA more than KW
The c u story probably explains why he likes GA

Ma'ake
09-27-2015, 09:22 AM

I don't remember it being that "public", but because of Domo's running off the field to shake Whitt's hand, the details got revealed.

I remember there was chatter about Sitake almost certainly going to become a HC, at Logan, Vegas or CSU, but those jobs didn't happen. I have a lot of respect for Sitake, I think he's a really good coach and he handled the PR in leaving Utah to go to Oregon State perfectly. He was ready for a change, but I wonder how everything in Corvalis is going. I think it's probably OK, but the grass ain't always greener, and that situation is more uphill than he may have realized. I don't have a good handle on how Gary Andersen is to work for when the chips are down, since it's really not happened very much, except when he was building USU up, which was a different situation.

concerned
09-27-2015, 09:29 AM
I don't remember it being that "public", but because of Domo's running off the field to shake Whitt's hand, the details got revealed.

I remember there was chatter about Sitake almost certainly going to become a HC, at Logan, Vegas or CSU, but those jobs didn't happen. I have a lot of respect for Sitake, I think he's a really good coach and he handled the PR in leaving Utah to go to Oregon State perfectly. He was ready for a change, but I wonder how everything in Corvalis is going. I think it's probably OK, but the grass ain't always greener, and that situation is more uphill than he may have realized. I don't have a good handle on how Gary Andersen is to work for when the chips are down, since it's really not happened very much, except when he was building USU up, which was a different situation.

Our defense certainly got a lot of accolades last night, especially the defensive line. If that continues all year, sitaki would have gotten a lot of credit for it. It's going to take him awhile to get there at Oregon State. I'm not sure that move accelerates his opportunity to be a head coach.

Ma'ake
09-27-2015, 09:31 AM
And I thought it was all because hill wouldn't give him the contract extension at the beginning of the year plus the fact that generally he likes GA more than KW
The c u story probably explains why he likes GA

There was some chatter during that "crisis" that Hill was ready to match, but KW realized Stake wanted a change of scenery and said "let him go". There was a lot of chatter, don't know if this account is accurate, but it's believable.

The stress, the hours, the nature of competitors means a lot of interesting things happen inside football teams.

U-Ute
09-27-2015, 09:38 AM
All hail the Ute Moon..

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/27/7fdb3fa7a0f22864e83fc7e6f18636c7.jpg

Jarid in Cedar
09-27-2015, 09:45 AM
anybody hear the nature or severity of Kylie Fitts injury?

Ankle injury, but he was back in the game a series later

LA Ute
09-27-2015, 09:57 AM
There was some chatter during that "crisis" that Hill was ready to match, but KW realized Stake wanted a change of scenery and said "let him go". There was a lot of chatter, don't know if this account is accurate, but it's believable.

The stress, the hours, the nature of competitors means a lot of interesting things happen inside football teams.

That accords with what I've been told. It wasn't about the contract.

Redbird
09-27-2015, 10:03 AM
http://a3.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2015%2F0926%2Fncf_conclusionsutah _ms_1296x729.png&w=570

utefan
09-27-2015, 10:23 AM
I could be wrong about this, but I bet when Oregon went for 2 on their first touchdown it sealed their fate.

That was a clear indication that they intended to run the score up on us (again). So it gave Kyle all the motivation he needed to keep his foot on the gas.

Did anyone ask about why the heck they went for 2 in that situation? Utah is up 6-0 after kicking 2 field goals. Oregon scores a touchdown so it's tied at 6 with a pending extra point. But those idiots went for 2 and did not convert it.

It makes no sense at all to go for 2 in that situation, especially against Utah's defense. And I have a feeling that ridiculous decision helped lead to Utah really pouring it on.

Damage U
09-27-2015, 10:23 AM
It was interesting listening to the radio late last night while trying to calm down and get to sleep, I was waiting to hear what SC had to say about the game. They spent 15 minutes talking about and playing highlights of the aTm and TCU games then just before a commercial break they spent 15 seconds on the entire PAC12.

Redbird
09-27-2015, 10:34 AM
I could be wrong about this, but I bet when Oregon went for 2 on their first touchdown it sealed their fate.

That was a clear indication that they intended to run the score up on us (again). So it gave Kyle all the motivation he needed to keep his foot on the gas.

Did anyone ask about why the heck they went for 2 in that situation? Utah is up 6-0 after kicking 2 field goals. Oregon scores a touchdown so it's tied at 6 with a pending extra point. But those idiots went for 2 and did not convert it.

It makes no sense at all to go for 2 in that situation, especially against Utah's defense. And I have a feeling that ridiculous decision helped lead to Utah really pouring it on.

Oregon goes for 2 more than any team in the nation. They finished 2nd last year in 2-point conversions, and led the nation from 2010 to 2012. Seems like every Oregon game, they line up in that spread formation after their first TD, and if they see a look they like from the defense, they attempt the conversion. If they don't like it, they motion into the typical XP formation.

SeattleUte
09-27-2015, 10:51 AM
Oregon goes for 2 more than any team in the nation. They finished 2nd last year in 2-point conversions, and led the nation from 2010 to 2012. Seems like every Oregon game, they line up in that spread formation after their first TD, and if they see a look they like from the defense, they attempt the conversion. If they don't like it, they motion into the typical XP formation.

It's part of their gimmickry you want to see rubbed out. It's true that a 2 point conversion attempt was stupid at that point in the game. I laughed when somebody said last night that if Oregon's going to turn into a patsy they need to change their whole imagery and branding including the mascott, which is really quite childish when you think about it.

Redbird
09-27-2015, 10:56 AM
It's part of their gimmickry you want to see rubbed out. It's true that a 2 point conversion attempt was stupid at that point in the game.

the 2-point conversion is one of the most underutilized options in football, college and pro. most experts would agree with me.

SeattleUte
09-27-2015, 11:08 AM
the 2-point conversion is one of the most underutilized options in football, college and pro. most experts would agree with me.

Maybe. Florida should have done it when they scored and went up 12 vs. Tennessee yesterday. But Oregon's attempt made no sense yesterday. And I'm not sure what "experts" you mean since apparently the coaches don't agree. Who the hell cares what these sports talking heads think. They have little value if they are not funny, like Scott Ferrell (he's the best!).

SeattleUte
09-27-2015, 11:13 AM
I want to thank Kaelin Clay. I said last week that his epic blunder had given the Utes a huge psychological advantage in this game--they knew they would have beaten the Ducks. I thought about this last night when we went up by 14, and the statistic in the Ohio State game that Oregon teams never rally from 14 points down. The consequence of Clay's recklessness hurts a lot less than it used to.

concerned
09-27-2015, 11:14 AM
Maybe. Florida should have done it when they scored and went up 12 vs. Tennessee yesterday. But Oregon's attempt made no sense yesterday. And I'm not sure what "experts" you mean since apparently the coaches don't agree. Who the hell cares what these sports talking heads think. They have little value if they are not funny, like Scott Ferrell (he's the best!).

Oregon just about always goes for 2 after their first touch down. It is their way of marking their territory and establishing their dominance out of the chute. Made no sense yesterday.

NorthwestUteFan
09-27-2015, 11:18 AM
Utah used to do that with Murphy running the wildcat. John White IV busting off a long TD run followed by the 2 pt conversion by Murphy were the highlights of the last game vs UW in the CLink a few years ago.

LA Ute
09-27-2015, 11:31 AM
Oregon just about always goes for 2 after their first touch down. It is their way of marking their territory and establishing their dominance out of the chute. Made no sense yesterday.

Right. It's part of their "pour it on" culture. It was pleasing to see that blow up in their faces yesterday.

Ma'ake
09-27-2015, 12:24 PM
I want to thank Kaelin Clay. I said last week that his epic blunder had given the Utes a huge psychological advantage in this game--they knew they would have beaten the Ducks. I thought about this last night when we went up by 14, and the statistic in the Ohio State game that Oregon teams never rally from 14 points down. The consequence of Clay's recklessness hurts a lot less than it used to.

One of the biggest life lessons from sports is overcoming adversity.

Here's how Kaelin Clay has reacted to that play: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865615116/Utes-Clay-learns-a-lesson-and-teaches-one.html?pg=all

I hope Clay can make it in the League, but at some point he'll move on, and I suspect he'll have just a bit more resilience in life because of what he's been through.

Solon
09-27-2015, 01:14 PM
Our defense certainly got a lot of accolades last night, especially the defensive line. If that continues all year, sitaki would have gotten a lot of credit for it. It's going to take him awhile to get there at Oregon State. I'm not sure that move accelerates his opportunity to be a head coach.
IMO, I definitely hurts his stock. If he were Utah's DC right now, his stock would be sky-high today. Instead, he made a lateral move to a team with poorer talent. Head-scratcher at best (unless there's a secret sweetheart deal he's already locked up).
i hope the Utes crush OSU this season. End that little rivalry for recruits right away.

LA Ute
09-27-2015, 02:07 PM
http://a3.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2015%2F0926%2Fncf_conclusionsutah _ms_1296x729.png&w=570

Love it.