PDA

View Full Version : Sonny and Bear: Utah vs Cal 2015

Pages : [1] 2

Redbird
09-28-2015, 09:36 AM
Utah plays their first home game in a month on October 10th. Their conference home opener comes against P12N competition for the 4th time in the 5 years they've been a part of the P12, and the 3 previous conference home openers...have not gone well. In fact, Utah is winless in P12 home openers, losing to Washington ('11), USC ('12), Oregon St ('13), and Wazzou ('14). They are 7-11 at RES against the P12.

Utah is 4-5 vs Call all-time, but Utah enjoys a 3-2 edge in the 5 meetings since 2000. These teams split in 2011 and 2012, with the home team winning comfortably both times.

Cal is currently 4-0, with a number next to their name for the first time since November 2009. They have a strong opportunity to rise in the rankings with a home game against Wazzou, while Utah has a bye.

DrumNFeather
09-28-2015, 09:41 AM
Utes will be wearing those slick throwback uniforms for this one as well.

I remember the Cal game in 2003, Urban's last year and the first year of the MUSS, when the MUSS literally took up a handful of rows...that was back when you could still walk up to the stadium late and get a good seat. My how far we've come.

Goff is coming in as the presumptive #1 QB in the 2016 NFL Draft, so this has an opportunity to be a big time "showcase" game for him.

Plenty to play for, it's going to be a long two weeks!

Redbird
09-28-2015, 09:46 AM

I remember the Cal game in 2003, Urban's last year and the first year of the MUSS, when the MUSS literally took up a handful of rows...that was back when you could still walk up to the stadium late and get a good seat. My how far we've come.

Goff is coming in as the presumptive #1 QB in the 2016 NFL Draft, so this has an opportunity to be a big time "showcase" game for him.

I attended that game with a few friends because we got free vouchers at school. We redeemed them at the gate 15 minutes before kickoff and sat on the 34th row in the NW corner. That was the much-anticipated (not really) match-up of future first-round picks Aaron Rodgers (relieving Reggie Robertson in the 1st quarter) and Alex Smith (making his first start).

SoCalPat
09-28-2015, 10:13 AM
I attended that game with a few friends because we got free vouchers at school. We redeemed them at the gate 15 minutes before kickoff and sat on the 34th row in the NW corner. That was the much-anticipated (not really) match-up of future first-round picks Aaron Rodgers (relieving Reggie Robertson in the 1st quarter) and Alex Smith (making his first start).

And Smith and Rodgers go at it again tonight. You could make a good documentary about how their careers and team fortunes have risen and dipped since, and it all began with that game in 2003.

SoCalPat
09-28-2015, 10:14 AM

You couldn't do that for that game. It set a single-game attendance mark that lasted for over a decade.

DrumNFeather
09-28-2015, 10:16 AM
You couldn't do that for that game. It set a single-game attendance mark that lasted for over a decade.

Was that not the one on 9/11?

I swear we sat right above the roped off section for the MUSS and right before kick off we got to move up several rows because there were not enough MUSS members at the time.

DrumNFeather
09-28-2015, 10:36 AM
Per twitter, it's an 8:00 PM, MT kick on ESPN.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-28-2015, 10:46 AM
Per twitter, it's an 8:00 PM, MT kick on ESPN.

Assuming Cal beats Washington State this weekend, seems like that's high chances that College Game Day ends up in SLC for Homecoming!

DrumNFeather
09-28-2015, 10:47 AM
Assuming Cal beats Washington State this weekend, seems like that's high chances that College Game Day ends up in SLC for Homecoming!

That'd be pretty awesome.

Redbird
09-28-2015, 11:15 AM

I'm wary of predicting it because that's the same day as Texas/OU and Miami/FSU. It's also Northwestern at Michigan, and if both teams have a number next to their name the novelty of a ranked N'western and Jim Harbaugh may overpower the buzz of Cal and Utah.

Redbird
09-28-2015, 11:16 AM

IIRC because of walk-up sales. My personal experience was presenting a free voucher 15-20 minutes before kickoff and getting good seats.

SoCalPat
09-28-2015, 12:05 PM
I'm wary of predicting it because that's the same day as Texas/OU and Miami/FSU. It's also Northwestern at Michigan, and if both teams have a number next to their name the novelty of a ranked N'western and Jim Harbaugh may overpower the buzz of Cal and Utah.

There's no way we lose Gameday to a 1-3 (likely 1-4) Texas team that could be coming off a rout at the hands of TCU. Michigan-Michigan State will get the Gameday date the following week. I'm more leery of Arkansas-Alabama than I am Miami-FSU, although the Canes could be ranked if they get past Cincy on Thursday. This much we know -- Utah-Cal is a strong candidate to land Gameday.

SoCalPat
09-28-2015, 12:06 PM
Was that not the one on 9/11?

I swear we sat right above the roped off section for the MUSS and right before kick off we got to move up several rows because there were not enough MUSS members at the time.

T'was on 9/11, but the MUSS was in full swing at that time. Was from Day 1 under Urban.

LA Ute
09-28-2015, 12:20 PM
I think Kyle and Pease will be able to scheme very well against a pretty one-dimensional offense. Goff doesn't scramble (does he?) so perhaps we will see more pressure on him, rather than the very effective stay-in-your lane containment pressure they brought against Oregon.

SoCalPat
09-28-2015, 12:28 PM
Why is a 1-4 Arkansas better than a 1-4 Texas?

Utah/Cal or Miami/FSU both look good. What about TCU @ KState if the Wildcats beat Okie State to stay unbeaten or Okie State @ West Va if they both win next week?

Because of the SEC factor.

Honestly, the best argument against Gameday coming to SLC is that Gameday already has been West, and the WWL can't possibly acknowledge this part of the country more than once per year.

Redbird
09-28-2015, 12:38 PM
I think Kyle and Pease will be able to scheme very well against a pretty one-dimensional offense.

you say that, but Utah is only 2-2 against Wazzou, who is among the least-balanced teams in the nation since Mike Leach took over. They've given us fits, forcing OT in 2011 and beating us the last two seasons. Jared Goff is the best QB in the conference this year.

mpfunk
09-28-2015, 12:49 PM
you say that, but Utah is only 2-2 against Wazzou, who is among the least-balanced teams in the nation since Mike Leach took over. They've given us fits, forcing OT in 2011 and beating us the last two seasons. Jared Goff is the best QB in the conference this year.

Which is exactly why Jared Goff scares the shit out of me. Leach has put up big numbers against us with QBs that are half the player of Jake Goff. Cal is going to be a real test for this team. The Utes are the better team, but this is a potential match-up nightmare. I'm glad we had 2 weeks to prep for this game.

DrumNFeather
09-28-2015, 12:50 PM

Kirk Herbstreet also said Oregon would be able to handle a one dimensional Utah team. How's that working out, Kirk?

UtahsMrSports
09-28-2015, 12:56 PM
T'was on 9/11, but the MUSS was in full swing at that time. Was from Day 1 under Urban.

Yep. I was in it that year, and we were rocking. It wasn't as crazy as it is now, but it was still pretty big.

DrumNFeather
09-28-2015, 01:02 PM
Yep. I was in it that year, and we were rocking. It wasn't as crazy as it is now, but it was still pretty big.

But not too big! :)

NorthwestUteFan
09-28-2015, 01:25 PM
Kirk Herbstreet also said Oregon would be able to handle a one dimensional Utah team. How's that working out, Kirk?

He is correct. Oregon would have been able to handle a one-dimensional Utah team. However even in the Fresno game with most of the Playbook closed we were a multi-faceted team.

In the Oregon game we were all over the place with the playcalling. And The Lord saw it, and it was good.

LA Ute
09-28-2015, 01:42 PM

Sure, go ahead, burst my bubble.

I do think we have slightly better and healthier personnel in the defensive backfield this year. And Cal isn't Wazzu. So I have that going for me.

UtahsMrSports
09-28-2015, 01:43 PM
But not too big! :)

Yep, lol, you used to be able to come in and just sit wherever. I dont remember a time when there wasn't any good seats available.

DrumNFeather
09-28-2015, 01:49 PM
Yep, lol, you used to be able to come in and just sit wherever. I dont remember a time when there wasn't any good seats available.

I should've joined...don't know what I was thinking!

jrj84105
09-28-2015, 01:53 PM
Which is exactly why Jared Goff scares the shit out of me. Leach has put up big numbers against us with QBs that are half the player of Jake Goff. Cal is going to be a real test for this team. The Utes are the better team, but this is a potential match-up nightmare. I'm glad we had 2 weeks to prep for this game.

This is the matchup that has had me scared all year. I think it is the most difficult game on the schedule. We do best against teams that use the run to setup the pass, and have struggled with teams that just go out and sling the ball. Backup QBs for Fresno and Oregon did have some luck moving the ball with precision passing but made mental mistakes leading to interceptions. I don't think we can count on Goff to make so many mistakes. If we win this game, I'm not sure who can touch us.

DrumNFeather
09-28-2015, 01:55 PM
This is the matchup that has had me scared all year. I think it is the most difficult game on the schedule. We do best against teams that use the run to setup the pass, and have struggled with teams that just go out and sling the ball. Backup QBs for Fresno and Oregon did have some luck moving the ball with precision passing but made mental mistakes leading to interceptions. I don't think we can count on Goff to make so many mistakes. If we win this game, I'm not sure who can touch us.

Well, we'd still have to prove that we can stop Arizona's run game, and USC is still a challenge on the road.

Goes without saying, but we'll want to put some pressure on Goff and make him uncomfortable back there.

Redbird
09-28-2015, 01:56 PM
If we win this game, I'm not sure who can touch us.

Considering the voodoo spell both Arizona schools have over us, that's a big statement to make. Plus, we're 1-3 against USC since joining the conference, and they have a lot of talent on both sides of the ball. That will be a very challenging trip.

LA Ute
09-28-2015, 02:13 PM
Considering the voodoo spell both Arizona schools have over us, that's a big statement to make. Plus, we're 1-3 against USC since joining the conference, and they have a lot of talent on both sides of the ball. That will be a very challenging trip.

Nice dose of reality.

Back to Cal: With 2 weeks to prepare and lots of Goff film the Utes at least are in a good position to give it their best shot. I'm hoping that will make the difference.

Jarid in Cedar
09-28-2015, 02:15 PM

We have been in the game with USC every year, whereas that hasn't been the case with the Arizona schools. USC is the most talented team we will face, but we play well against their style of football.

concerned
09-28-2015, 02:42 PM
We are not going to be able to sustain this over two months. We are going to have a let down somewhere and play flat, like UA last year. Maybe USC; maybe UA, even UW. UW could be a classic trap game.

jrj84105
09-28-2015, 03:19 PM
I think we're doing the things we do best better than we have before- by a pretty wide margin. Mora's teams struggle with physical defenses (why he loses to Stanford and why with 6 interceptions they still struggled to put us away in 2013). Sark just got manballed by Stanford, which at this point is sort of like our slightly less-gifted twin, and we get USC after they travel to ND. ASU's O-line and receiver issues don't bode well for their matchup even if their aggressive defense again stalls our offense (I don't think it will. I think we destroy ASU this year). Arizona has had our number, but unlike Sitake, Pease shows the ability to win with a more vanilla defensive approach. Anu may be out for a while, and Scooby is out again for several weeks. I don't think they have much swagger left when we play. Colorado and OSU can come and play with nothing to lose, which makes them scary. Washington may be in the same boat, and their QB has a high enough ceiling to put out a season best type game and beat us. Cal is the team most able to challenge our weaknesses. If we handle Cal, which means great pass defense and productive offense, then I think we're a very balanced team, not just a team that plays good run defense and special teams while grinding out wins (and losses). It's the litmus test game, IMO. The difference, and here is where I go full zoob, is that if we handle Cal comfortably, then I think our losses going forward would have to involve injuries or some element of beating ourselves.

Redbird
09-28-2015, 03:34 PM
We have been in the game with USC every year, whereas that hasn't been the case with the Arizona schools. USC is the most talented team we will face, but we play well against their style of football.

I disagree. 2012, we benefited from two early TD's because of fumbles deep in USC territory; following that opening 3 minutes, we got manhandled. 2013 was an ugly game, and the defense looked fine, but the offense looked overmatched all day.

Jarid in Cedar
09-28-2015, 05:28 PM
I disagree. 2012, we benefited from two early TD's because of fumbles deep in USC territory; following that opening 3 minutes, we got manhandled. 2013 was an ugly game, and the defense looked fine, but the offense looked overmatched all day.

We always exclude anomalous plays that benefit us, but not ones that did not. We had a TD called back on a penalty that is rarely called that would have put us in the lead at the half, and Hays threw a pick six in our end that was the play that broke our back. We were clearly the less talented team, but we were in the game until the pick 6.

Compare our results with USC to ASU, especially in 2011 and 2012.

Devildog
09-28-2015, 06:41 PM
Great article on the ESPN PAC 12 blog.

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id/92147/dont-say-utah-has-arrived-the-utes-have-been-here-all-along

U-Ute
09-28-2015, 08:05 PM
5th helmet in 5 games with the Cal game.

Redbird
09-28-2015, 08:15 PM
We always exclude anomalous plays that benefit us, but not ones that did not. We had a TD called back on a penalty that is rarely called that would have put us in the lead at the half, and Hays threw a pick six in our end that was the play that broke our back. We were clearly the less talented team, but we were in the game until the pick 6.

Compare our results with USC to ASU, especially in 2011 and 2012.

Utah had 30 yards of offense in the 3rd quarter; USC had 103 and two missed FG's. USC hit on the 83-yard pass to Lee to make it a 10-pt game, and 5 plays later USC iced it.

U-Ute
09-28-2015, 08:16 PM

I swear I remember a MUSS sign on the wall below the student section in 2001 or 2002 against UNLV. That being said it certainly wasn't big. Urban Meyer engaged the campus student groups and blew it up in the two years he was here.

U-Ute
09-28-2015, 08:18 PM

The free tickets from Hogi Yogi game. I heard they broke some fire codes for that game which is why that record stood for so long.

U-Ute
09-28-2015, 08:22 PM
Sure, go ahead, burst my bubble.

I do think we have slightly better and healthier personnel in the defensive backfield this year. And Cal isn't Wazzu. So I have that going for me.

I believe the biggest difference for us this year is the speed we have at linebacker. Particularly Paul.

Spread offenses have been killing us since joining the P12 because our LBs couldn't cover the athletic tight ends/slot receivers. Our LBs are keeping up this year.

chrisrenrut
09-28-2015, 08:41 PM
The free tickets from Hogi Yogi game. I heard they broke some fire codes for that game which is why that record stood for so long.

They added the row of seats at the top of the stadium, which allowed them able to start reporting larger crowds to break the record.

Solon
09-28-2015, 09:19 PM
I think the Utes will roll vs Cal, as long as they don't spend the next 10 days thinking they belong in the playoff.
Whit is usually money coming out of a bye. Gotta manage the expectations. Even 4-4 from here on out brings us a respectable 8-4 season. It's shaping up to be a memorable year.

Redbird
09-29-2015, 08:04 AM
Whit is usually money coming out of a bye.

Excellent in the MWC, 1-3 in the P12. Last year was the first time we won following the bye week, and it required 2 OT's in Corvallis.

NorthwestUteFan
09-29-2015, 08:51 AM
Excellent in the MWC, 1-3 in the P12. Last year was the first time we won following the bye week, and it required 2 OT's in Corvallis.

That does it. We are screwed. 5-7 here we come. At least we will have a new coach next year.

/s

NorthwestUteFan
09-29-2015, 09:13 AM
My WSU coworkers think they will beat CAL this weekend. I am interested to know whether Cal is legit, or merely a paper tiger. I know a power run game and option read game will work against Cal, especially if we can air it out from time to time as well.

It is noteworthy, however, that a Cal DE was the defensive POW.

Solon
09-29-2015, 07:08 PM
True, true. I over stated it.
but the only game I consider to have been a disappointing effort is 2011 - when Washington handled the Utes in their Pac debut. 2012 & 2013 were close losses to Usc & UCLA - the USC game was close until late, and the Utes almost overcame 6 picks in 2013, losing by a TD.

so, yeah. I retract the statement. At the very least, though, I think the Utes will show well.

NorthwestUteFan
09-29-2015, 07:16 PM
2011 looked good until Jordan Wynn got knocked out for the season. The game was still winnable at that point. We were only two weeks removed from donkey punching byu in their crib and seemed to have Norm Chow mojo on our side.

Jon Hays came in and gave a valiant effort but we were completely overmatched.

SoCalPat
09-29-2015, 10:36 PM
They added the row of seats at the top of the stadium, which allowed them able to start reporting larger crowds to break the record.

I was wondering about that. Six of the 10 largest RES crowds have come since 2014. Hell, our game against Idaho State last year is still 9th biggest all-time.

I suspect it will be 10th very soon.

SoCalPat
09-29-2015, 10:40 PM
We flat out destroy Cal in special teams. The disparity is so huge, it's worth 10 points before the Bears get off the bus.

Utah averages more per punt return than Cal does on kickoff returns. We also average about 10 more yards per punt. Cal ranks in triple digits in just about every notable special teams stat.

Goff can throw for 450 yards, but if Utah can run and stop the run, while winning the turnover battle, we win comfortably, in the 10-17 point range.

If I'm Kyle, I'm reminding this team about last year's Wazzu game every chance I get.

chrisrenrut
09-29-2015, 11:06 PM
I was wondering about that. Six of the 10 largest RES crowds have come since 2014. Hell, our game against Idaho State last year is still 9th biggest all-time.

I suspect it will be 10th very soon.

Probably not this year. Possibly UCLA, if the PAC-12 South championship is on the line.

LA Ute
09-30-2015, 10:14 AM
Good interview here with A-Rod:

http://kfanav.s3.amazonaws.com/20150929_092915-aaron-roderick-WEB.mp3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NorthwestUteFan
09-30-2015, 10:49 AM
Good interview here with A-Rod:

http://kfanav.s3.amazonaws.com/20150929_092915-aaron-roderick-WEB.mp3

It is fascinating that Aaron spent so much time talking about Britain Covey, only to pivot to talking about how special and irreplaceable Troy McCormick is. I would love to see those two on the field at the same time, but I don't think they will overlap. Will TMac be a RS SR when Covey returns?

Also, does Troy get a Medical RS for this year? He redshirted already in 2013

SoCalPat
09-30-2015, 11:21 AM
Lots of talk about getting Gameday out to SLC for a game, but our biggest threat could come from ... Wazzu? And not because Wazzu could beat Cal.

The entire ordeal has raised the question of College Gameday possibly making the trip to Pullman this season. (Gameday senior producer Lee) Fitting called it “a must (https://twitter.com/leefitting/status/647582376818667521)” and called for a shift in priorities on Twitter. So when would be a good date for that? CougCenter (http://www.cougcenter.com/2015/9/25/9400561/college-gameday-producer-pullman-is-a-must) suggests WSU homecoming, which would be Oct. 17 versus Oregon State. But our Matt Zemek picked South Bend for Week 7, when Notre Dame hosts USC. What about Halloween when WSU plays Stanford? That’s the same week Georgia plays Florida in Jacksonville.

http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/how-espn-kept-wsus-college-gameday-flag-streak-alive.html

If we don't get Gameday for the Cal game, it's quite possible it's because Wazzu is getting it the following weekend. There will be other chances for Utah to host Gameday (or be the visitor when it goes elsewhere, like USC). I think it's clear that Wazzu holds more sway in getting picked right now than Utah.

LA Ute
09-30-2015, 12:01 PM
Lots of talk about getting Gameday out to SLC for a game, but our biggest threat could come from ... Wazzu? And not because Wazzu could beat Cal.

http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/how-espn-kept-wsus-college-gameday-flag-streak-alive.html

If we don't get Gameday for the Cal game, it's quite possible it's because Wazzu is getting it the following weekend. There will be other chances for Utah to host Gameday (or be the visitor when it goes elsewhere, like USC). I think it's clear that Wazzu holds more sway in getting picked right now than Utah.

What am I missing? Why is Wazzu a draw?

Sullyute
09-30-2015, 12:17 PM
What am I missing? Why is Wazzu a draw?

The article explains that WSU has had a flag waving at GameDay for over 10 years. The streak almost came to an end when the flag was stuck in transit. One of the producers is very superstitious and actually pulled a replica flag from the ESPN studios. So to celebrate WSU fans dedication to waving their flag at GameDay they are talking about going to Pulman for a telecast.

U-Ute
09-30-2015, 12:35 PM

That's an awesome story about the flag. I had heard it wasn't going to make it so I was surprised to see it.

LA Ute
09-30-2015, 12:38 PM
The article explains that WSU has had a flag waving at GameDay for over 10 years. The streak almost came to an end when the flag was stuck in transit. One of the producers is very superstitious and actually pulled a replica flag from the ESPN studios. So to celebrate WSU fans dedication to waving their flag at GameDay they are talking about going to Pulman for a telecast.

An idiotic reason, in my totally objective opinion.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-30-2015, 02:29 PM

I'd like to add my idiotic opinion to this objective reason.

LA Ute
09-30-2015, 02:30 PM
I'd like to add my idiotic opinion to this objective reason.

I think we are both being idiobjective.

SoCalPat
09-30-2015, 03:03 PM

Nonsense. Gameday celebrates college football. It's a traveling road show and they've been pretty good about making trips to schools that, while not ranked in the polls, still have something meaningful in terms of a contribution. No school has embraced the show's ethos as much as Wazzu and its flag. I'm not going to begrudge ESPN for returning the favor.

LA Ute
09-30-2015, 03:22 PM
Nonsense. Gameday celebrates college football. It's a traveling road show and they've been pretty good about making trips to schools that, while not ranked in the polls, still have something meaningful in terms of a contribution. No school has embraced the show's ethos as much as Wazzu and its flag. I'm not going to begrudge ESPN for returning the favor.

Your response is far too rational. I am not dealing in rationality right now -- I want Gameday at Utah on Oct. 10.

SoCalPat
09-30-2015, 03:47 PM
Your response is far too rational. I am not dealing in rationality right now -- I want Gameday at Utah on Oct. 10.

I would pass on Gameday on Oct. 10 if I was guaranteed its appearance in SLC for a UCLA game that had both teams combining for 1 or fewer losses.

LA Ute
09-30-2015, 04:55 PM
I would pass on Gameday on Oct. 10 if I was guaranteed its appearance in SLC for a UCLA game that had both teams combining for 1 or fewer losses.

I said stop the rationality!! ;)

(I agree about the UCLA game.)

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-30-2015, 08:57 PM

Right. But what are the odds of that happening? Besides, as has been stated, there are a lot of games that day that would likely attract more eye balls, regardless of PAC-12 standings.

SoCalPat
09-30-2015, 09:25 PM
Right. But what are the odds of that happening? Besides, as has been stated, there are a lot of games that day that would likely attract more eye balls, regardless of PAC-12 standings.

Yeah, I think I was the one who said that. And that's absolutely true. But if Utah and UCLA are both 10-0, Gameday is a lock to come to SLC. I don't think there's ever been a conference matchup where the teams
combined for a 20-0 mark. What about 19-1? Still likely. No sport allows fans to dream big like college football. Extreme unpredictability is the one thing the college game has over the NFL and I'm gonna embrace it for as long as I can.

San Diego Ute Fan
10-01-2015, 09:36 AM
My whiz kid nephew, Utah BS in finance and law degree from tds, ran the numbers on the likelihood of an unbeaten match up between UCLA and Utah. Based on ESPN's power index, the probability is only 1.2%. Planets would need to align for it to happen. He also ran numbers on the likelihood of Gameday at Rice Eccles with the two teams undefeated: 110%.

Yeah, I think I was the one who said that. And that's absolutely true. But if Utah and UCLA are both 10-0, Gameday is a lock to come to SLC. I don't think there's ever been a conference matchup where the teams
combined for a 20-0 mark. What about 19-1? Still likely. No sport allows fans to dream big like college football. Extreme unpredictability is the one thing the college game has over the NFL and I'm gonna embrace it for as long as I can.

utefan
10-03-2015, 06:55 PM
Well it's official, game day will be in Salt Lake for this game.

DrumNFeather
10-03-2015, 07:03 PM
"We're coming to your city!"

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

AnestheUte
10-03-2015, 07:21 PM
So awesome! Wish I could be there in person...

Redbird
10-03-2015, 08:27 PM

This will be the first CGD in the state of Utah I miss. I loved going to the two in SLC and one in Provo.

Redbird
10-04-2015, 10:45 AM
Utah 7th, Cal 22nd in Coaches Poll.

NorthwestUteFan
10-04-2015, 12:29 PM
Utah 7th, Cal 22nd in Coaches Poll.

Awesome. Let's knock them out of the poll next week.

chrisrenrut
10-04-2015, 06:34 PM

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-04-2015, 07:06 PM
Hopefully someone has thought to invite Ty Jones. I'd hate for him to think SO highly of the BYU-BSU game experience for another week.

NorthwestUteFan
10-04-2015, 07:14 PM
Are they actually setting up the set in President's Circle? That is a far better location than the parking lot, especially since the game is 8pm.

Diehard Ute
10-04-2015, 07:16 PM
Are they actually setting up the set in President's Circle? That is a far better location than the parking lot, especially since the game is 8pm.

Yes. They're also allowing camping in President's circle and all lots on campus.

Stuff begins at 10AM Friday and goes throughout the day and then of course the big show Saturday.

scottie
10-04-2015, 09:21 PM
This will be the first CGD in the state of Utah I miss. I loved going to the two in SLC and one in Provo.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/04/2cbb10f388b3c63e1e29b75d2bd234e7.jpg

Never gets old

Redbird
10-05-2015, 08:03 AM
Utah opens -6, and it's up to -7.

Brian
10-05-2015, 08:20 AM
Why do they do betting lines like this?

LA Ute
10-05-2015, 08:41 AM
Yes. They're also allowing camping in President's circle and all lots on campus.

Stuff begins at 10AM Friday and goes throughout the day and then of course the big show Saturday.

That's great. President's Circle is a much nicer backdrop for the show. Wish I could be there and wander around. Alas, it's fall break and my Ute student daughter will be home, so we'll be hanging out with her in L.A. and watching the game on TV.

SoCalPat
10-05-2015, 08:52 AM
Why do they do betting lines like this?

Pretty vague question there buddy.

Brian
10-05-2015, 09:31 AM
Pretty vague question there buddy.

Sorry, yes it was. From phone in dr. office.

Whey do they do the +/- ?
They always reference the home team, right? So +3 Utah means Cal by 3. WT$ ?
For Cal @ Utah, if the line is Utah by 5, it should be Utah +5. If the line is Cal by 3, it should be Utah -3.

This probably goes waaay back to dog racing in the 1930s.

Google searches like this are blocked at work. And I couldn't find anything on wiki....

"Look it up at home" is an acceptable answer.

Redbird
10-05-2015, 09:33 AM
Highlights from the 2009 Poinsettia Bowl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6KAaQcwK-M

Fun to watch old highlight videos with hits that would be a personal foul and possibly an ejection today (like Robert Johnson at 4:50).

Redbird
10-05-2015, 09:39 AM

For Cal @ Utah, if the line is Utah by 5, it should be Utah +5. If the line is Cal by 3, it should be Utah -3.

Google searches like this are blocked at work. And I couldn't find anything on wiki....

no. Vegas likes to pay the bills, and they want to draw equal action for a line. When they set a line, they're hoping to bring in equal money on either side of the line. When they open a line at "Utah -6", they assume an equal amount of people will bet money on Utah winning by at least 6 points and Cal losing by less than 6 or winning. If a line changes after opening (like Utah moving to -7), it means there's a lot of money coming in on Utah winning by at least 6.

Take a look at the gambling thread and MRD's picks. If he has "Utah -6.5", he has invested money in Utah winning by 7 or more. If he has "Kansas State +5.5", he has invested money in Kansas State losing by less than 6 points or winning.

U-Ute
10-05-2015, 09:57 AM
no. Vegas likes to pay the bills, and they want to draw equal action for a line. When they set a line, they're hoping to bring in equal money on either side of the line. When they open a line at "Utah -6", they assume an equal amount of people will bet money on Utah winning by at least 6 points and Cal losing by less than 6 or winning. If a line changes after opening (like Utah moving to -7), it means there's a lot of money coming in on Utah winning by at least 6.

Take a look at the gambling thread and MRD's picks. If he has "Utah -6.5", he has invested money in Utah winning by 7 or more. If he has "Kansas State +5.5", he has invested money in Kansas State losing by less than 6 points or winning.

I think he is also asking if they always use the home team as the reference team for the points. eg: Utah +/- 5 when the game is at Utah.

I believe that is the case right? They use the home team as the reference team.

Brian: To clarify, they have to give points otherwise when Utah plays BYU, nobody would ever bet on BYU winning. So they give points to try and get the bettors to split their bets 50/50 between the two teams. That's the only way Vegas can make money because they get a piece of every bet. If they had to pay out 100% of the bets (ie: everyone bets on the heavy favorite who happens to win), they wouldn't be able to cover their payouts.

SoCalPat
10-05-2015, 09:59 AM

The +/- has to deal with the points you're getting or laying, not about who's favored.

UtahsMrSports
10-05-2015, 10:18 AM
The +/- has to deal with the points you're getting or laying, not about who's favored.

for as vague as his initial question, this is just as vague of an answer. Im an idiot when it comes to this stuff, you gotta spell it out for me more!

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-05-2015, 10:46 AM
Highlights from the 2009 Poinsettia Bowl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6KAaQcwK-M

Fun to watch old highlight videos with hits that would be a personal foul and possibly an ejection today (like Robert Johnson at 4:50).

Oh Wynn. What could have been...

SeattleUte
10-05-2015, 10:53 AM
Brian, you should be angry that your LDS upbringing has deprived you of requisite learning experiences that would have enabled you to know this and other vital stuff important to a life well lived.

Mormon Red Death
10-05-2015, 11:36 AM

Two thoughts..David Reed is the most underrated player in Utah Football history
Robert Johnson would have been ejected for targeting three times in that game.

Brian
10-05-2015, 11:48 AM
I think he is also asking if they always use the home team as the reference team for the points. eg: Utah +/- 5 when the game is at Utah.

I believe that is the case right? They use the home team as the reference team.

Brian: To clarify, they have to give points otherwise when Utah plays BYU, nobody would ever bet on BYU winning. So they give points to try and get the bettors to split their bets 50/50 between the two teams. That's the only way Vegas can make money because they get a piece of every bet. If they had to pay out 100% of the bets (ie: everyone bets on the heavy favorite who happens to win), they wouldn't be able to cover their payouts.

Yes, I get that Vegas is trying to split the money, I'm just wondering why the +/- thing is reversed. And I can get the home is always referenced, it's the sign of the number that doesn't make sense.

Utah +5 means I'll bet that Utah wins by 5 or more. At least it should.

So, why the reversed signs? Is there history on this? Some obscure early 1930's mafia thing? It better have a good story, or it's just plain stupid.

Mormon Red Death
10-05-2015, 11:50 AM
Yes, I get that Vegas is trying to split the money, I'm just wondering why the +/- thing is reversed. And I can get the home is always referenced, it's the sign of the number that doesn't make sense.

Utah +5 means I'll bet that Utah wins by 5 or more. At least it should.

So, why the reversed signs? Is there history on this? Some obscure early 1930's mafia thing? It better have a good story, or it's just plain stupid.

No Utah +5 means you get 5 points. Utah could lose and you would still cover as long as they didn't lose over 5 points. + signs means you get points... - sign means your give points (you have to win by more than the amount)

Brian
10-05-2015, 11:50 AM
Brian, you should be angry that your LDS upbringing has deprived you of requisite learning experiences that would have enabled you to know this and other vital stuff important to a life well lived.

Here, here.

However, the "A scout is thrifty" allowed me to cash in the $3.80 I won playing a roll in the nickle slots. I beat Vegas the one time, and have never been back.

Brian
10-05-2015, 11:51 AM
No Utah +5 means you get 5 points. Utah could lose and you would still cover as long as they didn't lose over 5 points. + signs means you get points... - sign means your give points (you have to win by more than the amount)

Ahhhh. Ok, I get it now.

Thanks!

Solon
10-05-2015, 12:04 PM

Brian is smart as hell, guys. He understands the way that they do it - IMO he just doesn't think it's the most logical way to do it in terms of what he might want to bet.
I think his question is more philosophical. Going down his line of reasoning, we should be able to get odds on the margin of victory (for instance, a 5-point win gets you 1:1; a 10-point win gets you 15:1; etc.).
I'm with you, Brian. We should be able to gamble on Utah+5 to be Utah to win by 5, rather than getting 5 points. It would make the oddsmaking crazy complicated & tons of fun.

Mormon Red Death
10-05-2015, 12:17 PM
Brian is smart as hell, guys. He understands the way that they do it - IMO he just doesn't think it's the most logical way to do it in terms of what he might want to bet.
I think his question is more philosophical. Going down his line of reasoning, we should be able to get odds on the margin of victory (for instance, a 5-point win gets you 1:1; a 10-point win gets you 15:1; etc.).
I'm with you, Brian. We should be able to gamble on Utah+5 to be Utah to win by 5, rather than getting 5 points. It would make the oddsmaking crazy complicated & tons of fun.

they have that as well but its not as used as the traditional method.

U-Ute
10-05-2015, 02:43 PM
for as vague as his initial question, this is just as vague of an answer. Im an idiot when it comes to this stuff, you gotta spell it out for me more!

When it says "Utah -5", it means that you expect Utah to win by more than 5 points. It means if you take 5 points from Utah's final score you expect they will still have more points than the opposition. So when you bet "Utah -5", it means you're expecting Utah to win by more than 5 points. This is why you see most points given in 1/2 increments because then you won't have a tie (where the bet is Utah -7 and they win by exactly 7 points). For example: Utah -7.5 In that case, if Utah wins by 7, anyone who bet Utah -7.5 would lose because when you take 7.5 points away from Utah, they have fewer points (by 1/2 of a point) than the opponent, whereas if Utah wins by 8, that same bettor would win for the same reason.

The opposite is true when it says "BYU +5": You expect BYU need to get 5 extra points in order to win. "Giving BYU 5 points and having them win" is the way to read it.

This managing of points in the game is called "giving" or "taking" points as part of the bet. When a bet is "against the spread", it is against the points given/taken by bookies in Vegas where these lines are set. When a game is bet "straight up", that means you expect a team to win/lose without giving/taking any points.

If a game is a "pick em", that means the bookies in Vegas expect the game to be a virtual tie and is basically a "straight up" bet with no points.

Disclaimer: I have never laid a bet on a game in my life.

utefan
10-05-2015, 02:58 PM
Okay, to clarify this just in case anyone still has questions.

Vegas lists both teams when they give a line. If you see someone post Utah -7 it just means they bet on Utah's final score -7 being greater than Cal's final score.

Vegas would list it as
Utah -7
Cal +7
And you pick which final score will be greater once that point spread is factored in.

There is also an over/under where you can bet on the combined scores being higher or lower at the end of the game.

And there is also a money line where you just pick which team will win straight up, with no spread. The money line varies (like the point spread) and pays out better than even money if you take the underdog, less than even money if you take the favorite.

chrisrenrut
10-05-2015, 04:12 PM
I may have been wrong about this game not being in contention for the largest RES crowd ever:

@utahathletics: This weekend's @Utah_Football game is completely sold out (including standing-room only). Looking forward to an electric atmosphere! #goutes

Cheapest ticket right now on Stubhub is $113.

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-05-2015, 04:13 PM
I don't think the world is ready for SoCalPat's College Game Day poster ideas.

LA Ute
10-05-2015, 04:28 PM

He was a pretty nifty little QB. We were all pretty excited that we had a freshman QB with all that ability and smarts. We didn't know about the porcelain shoulders. Still, he'll always be a favorite of mine.

NorthwestUteFan
10-05-2015, 05:25 PM
He was a pretty nifty little QB. We were all pretty excited that we had a freshman QB with all that ability and smarts. We didn't know about the porcelain shoulders. Still, he'll always be a favorite of mine.

I agree, Jordan Wynn is a favorite of mine too. Isn't he the qb coach at Fresno now? I forgot to look for him at the game.

Diehard Ute
10-05-2015, 05:33 PM
I agree, Jordan Wynn is a favorite of mine too. Isn't he the qb coach at Fresno now? I forgot to look for him at the game.

He's a volunteer coach there.

NorthwestUteFan
10-05-2015, 05:38 PM
He's a volunteer coach there.

Didn't he have a paid position at Hawaii?

Diehard Ute
10-05-2015, 05:43 PM
Didn't he have a paid position at Hawaii?

Yes. He wasn't retained after last year

He basically went from being a GA at Hawaii to defacto OC when Chow fired the OC and WR coaches and Hawaii didn't want to spend money to hire replacements.

He called Schramm when he wasn't retained and is volunteering as a consultant during the week and charting in the box during games apparently.

Redbird
10-05-2015, 09:09 PM
Utah #2 among undefeated teams; Florida #1.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13811373/ranking-20-undefeated-teams-college-football-week-5

hostile
10-05-2015, 09:19 PM
Hunter Dimick expected back for Cal
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/3029816-155/utah-football-hunter-dimick-expected-back

LA Ute
10-05-2015, 09:56 PM
Watching that clip of Wynn reminded me of that shovel pass. I wonder if we will see that one this season?

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-05-2015, 10:26 PM
Watching that clip of Wynn reminded me of that shovel pass. I wonder if we will see that one this season?

If I remember correctly, Goff had some weird version of this last Saturday. I was watching on my phone while at the park, so I could have just been confused on what I was seeing.

Applejack
10-06-2015, 09:45 AM
OK, it's been over ten days since OREGON happened and I'm starting to get nervous. This seems like the ultimate let down game. Cal is legit offensively with Goff and Lawler (the one Cal game I've seen, Texas, Lawler caught the ball whenever he wanted). This isn't a Stanford/USc type offense that you can shut down with physical play. Gonna be a dogfight.

DrumNFeather
10-06-2015, 10:01 AM
OK, it's been over ten days since OREGON happened and I'm starting to get nervous. This seems like the ultimate let down game. Cal is legit offensively with Goff and Lawler (the one Cal game I've seen, Texas, Lawler caught the ball whenever he wanted). This isn't a Stanford/USc type offense that you can shut down with physical play. Gonna be a dogfight.

I don't feel like our secondary has really been tested this year, which I think is a bit concerning.

chrisrenrut
10-06-2015, 10:06 AM
Seems to me he keys will be the old standby's:
-stop the run
-pressure Goff
-chew up yards and clock on offence
-limit turnovers on O, and giving up big plays on D

But what do I know, I'm 20th in the prediction contest.

U-Ute
10-06-2015, 11:29 AM
If I remember correctly, Goff had some weird version of this last Saturday. I was watching on my phone while at the park, so I could have just been confused on what I was seeing.

I only saw about 5 minutes of the game, but I happened to catch it. It was a forward underhand pitch. He kind of casually flipped it forward.

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-06-2015, 12:40 PM
Highlights from last Saturday. Pretty confident that Lawler is going to get a few over our CBs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtB-kCsGY20

WSU had five turnovers and still managed to keep it a pretty tight game. Ball control. Ball control. Ball control.

Applejack
10-06-2015, 01:43 PM
Highlights from last Saturday. Pretty confident that Lawler is going to get a few over our CBs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtB-kCsGY20

WSU had five turnovers and still managed to keep it a pretty tight game. Ball control. Ball control. Ball control.

Love the announcer: "HIGHLY IMPROBABLE!!!!"

Cal is for dorks.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
10-06-2015, 04:02 PM
This will be an interesting game, I have a hard time seeing Utah play a worse pass defense than Oregon. Honestly any member of this board could've made the throws Wilson made that game, Oregon was spun around and confused all night.

While Utah's defense dominated the LOS, there were receivers open. With Adams hurt and Lockie having apparently about as strong of arm as myself or LAU, that made Oregon limp on offense. Had Oregon been able to rent Goff for the night they may have had a chance to keep it close, if those same guys are open on Saturday I see him making those throws.

As someone in this thread mentioned, the bye week was huge. The hangover is gone and with GD coming to town Whit should have Utah ready to roll, last week this would've been a huge trap game.

I'd say I hope we get another chance in the P12 champ game, but for this week I'm just hoping that we can find a way to hold the Fighting Leach's under 800 passing yards. I'm doubtful though.

Hot Lunch
10-06-2015, 04:48 PM
I don't feel like our secondary has really been tested this year, which I think is a bit concerning.

It is concerning. We will get tested. Because of who we have lining up at Safety, I feel as though we have the best secondary we have had in awhile. Carter and Williams are both really good and seem to have improved since their handful of missed assignments vs. Michigan and Utah State. I also really like Domo and Thomas, Porter is getting better as well. He struggled vs. Michigan and Utah St. as well but that was his first game reps after coming back from a major knee injury and that is too be expected.

Stoked for Saturday. Cal will put some points on the board. We won't completely shut them down. Travis and the boys will have to do the same.

Go Utes beat Kal!

SoCalPat
10-06-2015, 04:52 PM
I don't think the world is ready for SoCalPat's College Game Day poster ideas.

Tee hee. You gotta know your enemy. That's the most important thing about GameDay signs -- to strike at your enemy where it hurts them most.

NorthwestUteFan
10-06-2015, 05:15 PM
Should I be concerned that Fresno's backup qb Greenlee came into the game cold and went 8-11 with 3 TDs? It may have been garbage time, but he picked apart our 1s on some of those plays.

NorthwestUteFan
10-06-2015, 05:17 PM
Tee hee. You gotta know your enemy. That's the most important thing about GameDay signs -- to strike at your enemy where it hurts them most.

Some of your ideas were brutal, and highlighted highly embarrassing things in Cal's past. Outstanding work.

Hot Lunch
10-06-2015, 05:48 PM

You really do and that is what makes the best signs for GameDay. That being said, I was trying to think of some good signs for Kal and I realized, I don't know them well enough.

Hot Lunch
10-06-2015, 05:54 PM
Some of your ideas were brutal, and highlighted highly embarrassing things in Cal's past. Outstanding work.

Where can I find this list?

SeattleUte
10-06-2015, 05:56 PM
This will be an interesting game, I have a hard time seeing Utah play a worse pass defense than Oregon. Honestly any member of this board could've made the throws Wilson made that game, Oregon was spun around and confused all night.

While Utah's defense dominated the LOS, there were receivers open. With Adams hurt and Lockie having apparently about as strong of arm as myself or LAU, that made Oregon limp on offense. Had Oregon been able to rent Goff for the night they may have had a chance to keep it close, if those same guys are open on Saturday I see him making those throws.

As someone in this thread mentioned, the bye week was huge. The hangover is gone and with GD coming to town Whit should have Utah ready to roll, last week this would've been a huge trap game.

I'd say I hope we get another chance in the P12 champ game, but for this week I'm just hoping that we can find a way to hold the Fighting Leach's under 800 passing yards. I'm doubtful though.

It would be great to beat down the ducks twice in a season. I am your newest fan.

SoCalPat
10-06-2015, 06:06 PM
Where can I find this list?

Read my Twitter TL @100ThingsUtah. My personal favorite is "Jelani Gardner and Jared Goff are Housemates", followed by "Todd Bozeman's on Sonny's Payroll" and "Sonny Dykes Eats Quiche."

We should pool for donations for someone with the stones to make up a sign that mocks Jason Kidd and Kevin Johnson for their "treatment" of women.

NorthwestUteFan
10-06-2015, 06:49 PM
Background:
Todd Bozeman was Cal's coach in the mid 90s. He was busted for giving money to a player's family.
Jelani Gardner was the player. Coach Bozeman gave Gardner's family $30k to 'help' them drive to games. He also got accused of sexual harassment.

Gardner's playing time diminished, so Gardner's parents called the NCAA.
Cal had to forfeit the 94/95 and part of the 95/96 seasons and were banned from the 96 post season.

What is the background on Sonny Dykes and the quiche? Besides 'Real Men Don't Eat Quiche' trope from the 1980s? Is it a lesbian joke?

SoCalPat
10-06-2015, 07:18 PM
Background:
Todd Bozeman was Cal's coach in the mid 90s. He was busted for giving money to a player's family.
Jelani Gardner was the player. Coach Bozeman gave Gardner's family $30k to 'help' them drive to games. He also got accused of sexual harassment.

Gardner's playing time diminished, so Gardner's parents called the NCAA.
Cal had to forfeit the 94/95 and part of the 95/96 seasons and were banned from the 96 post season.

What is the background on Sonny Dykes and the quiche? Besides 'Real Men Don't Eat Quiche' trope from the 1980s? Is it a lesbian joke?

No background on the quiche. I just think it's funny to envision an adult male who goes by Sonny actually eating quiche.

DrumNFeather
10-06-2015, 07:36 PM
I saw one on twitter: "Turn Your Head and Goff"

Redbird
10-06-2015, 07:55 PM

There were a few throws that Wilson made that were inch-perfect, and had to be. Others, well, yeah, receivers were wide open. I think Lockie is okay, but you guys have been spoiled (and recruited very well) with Darron Thomas and Marcus Mariota the last few years.

I still think Oregon is good enough to win 8-9 games, including Washington and Oregon St. Wazzou seems to play you guys very tough, though. It should be a decent game.

Diehard Ute
10-06-2015, 07:59 PM
There were a few throws that Wilson made that were inch-perfect, and had to be. Others, well, yeah, receivers were wide open. I think Lockie is okay, but you guys have been spoiled (and recruited very well) with Darron Thomas and Marcus Mariota the last few years.

I still think Oregon is good enough to win 8-9 games, including Washington and Oregon St. Wazzou seems to play you guys very tough, though. It should be a decent game.

The post game breakdowns online and on the Pac12 network highlighted the reads and throws Travis made.

The fade to Repp, threading the needle to Scott were both tight well timed throws.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
10-06-2015, 08:31 PM
It would be great to beat down the ducks twice in a season. I am your newest fan.

Can you play QB? That might be our best shot to get the rematch, let me know and I'll call Helf.

Applejack
10-07-2015, 08:14 AM
Can you play QB? That might be our best shot to get the rematch, let me know and I'll call Helf.

I'm worried that we won't put up the points we need to win this one. Cal isn't going to settle for field goals and we aren't going to stop them every time. The minimum they score is 20-24 points. We need to have a balls to the wall attitude on offense like the second half against the Ducks. That's easier to do when you are up 3 scores.

Solon
10-07-2015, 08:40 AM
I'm worried that we won't put up the points we need to win this one. Cal isn't going to settle for field goals and we aren't going to stop them every time. The minimum they score is 20-24 points. We need to have a balls to the wall attitude on offense like the second half against the Ducks. That's easier to do when you are up 3 scores.
Utes are going to kill Cal! Kill them!!!:uzi:

wally
10-07-2015, 08:50 AM

Has Cal played a good defense yet? Honest question. Looking at their wins, I don't see a program known for defense.

Redbird
10-07-2015, 09:08 AM
Has Cal played a good defense yet? Honest question. Looking at their wins, I don't see a program known for defense.

According to ESPN's efficiency ratings for defense, Washington is 25th, Utah is 28th, Texas is 72nd, Wazzou is 84th, and SDSU is 92nd.

Washington is 17th in scoring defense and 29th in total defense (both put them higher than Utah).

http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/teamratings/_/sort/defEfficiency/tab/efficiency

http://www.cfbstats.com/2015/leader/national/team/defense/split01/category10/sort01.html

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-07-2015, 09:10 AM

Not even close. Unfortunately, unless we can get to Goff, that might not change on Saturday.

EDIT: Or you can use stats and stuff. (I had forgotten that they'd already played Washington. We have a better offense than the Huskies, I think that makes the difference.

NorthwestUteFan
10-07-2015, 10:17 AM
Every defense Cal has played so far, possibly except WSU has chosen to cheat down against the play-action. Goff had one 2 yd run, and got sacked four times. Utah should be able stop the run without doing that. We have by far the best defensive front they have faced all year.

Cal has stellar athletes, just like Oregon. I have to believe they will play more disciplined defense than Oregon did. But we will absolutely own them in the trenches, going both ways. Oregon has a very talented Rushing offense and we completely stymied them.

The Defense stats don't tell the full story at this point of the season as Utah (iirc) has never trailed in a game and admittedly played a simple defense in every game except Oregon.

I watched the Michigan game again last week. The Wolverines are huge, strong, and physical. And yet Utah manhandled them all game long. The O line missed a bunch of assignments and Booker perhaps should have hesitated a bit to allow the scheme to develop. But those problems seemed to go away in later games and things were very smooth vs Oregon. Cal has not faced a Read Option combo like Travis '240# Bulldog' Wilson and Booker, and Scott seems to have a good connection with Wilson and battles extremely hard for catches.

Utah can absolutely be beat by Cal, especially if 'ball didn't go in hoop'. But it is more likely that Utah will win by 12+ and we will top off the Great Salt Lake with Cal's tears.

SoCalPat
10-07-2015, 10:39 AM
Every defense Cal has played so far, possibly except WSU has chosen to cheat down against the play-action. Goff had one 2 yd run, and got sacked four times. Utah should be able stop the run without doing that. We have by far the best defensive front they have faced all year.

Cal has stellar athletes, just like Oregon. I have to believe they will play more disciplined defense than Oregon did. But we will absolutely own them in the trenches, going both ways. Oregon has a very talented Rushing offense and we completely stymied them.

The Defense stats don't tell the full story at this point of the season as Utah (iirc) has never trailed in a game and admittedly played a simple defense in every game except Oregon.

I watched the Michigan game again last week. The Wolverines are huge, strong, and physical. And yet Utah manhandled them all game long. The O line missed a bunch of assignments and Booker perhaps should have hesitated a bit to allow the scheme to develop. But those problems seemed to go away in later games and things were very smooth vs Oregon. Cal has not faced a Read Option combo like Travis '240# Bulldog' Wilson and Booker, and Scott seems to have a good connection with Wilson and battles extremely hard for catches.

Utah can absolutely be beat by Cal, especially if 'ball didn't go in hoop'. But it is more likely that Utah will win by 12+ and we will top off the Great Salt Lake with Cal's tears.

Trailed vs. Fresno for 9:51 in the first quarter, trailing 3-0.

SoCalPat
10-07-2015, 10:40 AM
Jared's Dad Goes by Jack -- Gameday sign

NorthwestUteFan
10-07-2015, 10:43 AM

Family should probably be off limits.

UtahsMrSports
10-07-2015, 10:48 AM

Whats the story on the guy who cant read?

mUUser
10-07-2015, 11:17 AM
Read my Twitter TL @100ThingsUtah. My personal favorite is "Jelani Gardner and Jared Goff are Housemates", followed by "Todd Bozeman's on Sonny's Payroll" and "Sonny Dykes Eats Quiche."

We should pool for donations for someone with the stones to make up a sign that mocks Jason Kidd and Kevin Johnson for their "treatment" of women.

Had no idea you authored this book. My 14 year old keeps it in his backpack, probably hoping to get school credit for reading it.

I learned everything I needed to know about Fred Gehrke, while driving the boy to school this morning. :football:

NorthwestUteFan
10-07-2015, 11:25 AM
Yes, Pat's book is mandatory reading for any Utah fan.

SoCalPat
10-07-2015, 12:35 PM
Family should probably be off limits.

Mixed feelings on this. At its heart, you're right. But it's just a silly play on words.

SoCalPat
10-07-2015, 12:40 PM
Whats the story on the guy who cant read?

Russell White was admitted to Cal as a Prop 48 student, the first such admission Cal ever made with any athlete. With Stanford as their big rival, and with Cal always insisting it had academic chops, this was a big deal and Stanford made a lot of hay with it. White was diagnosed with dyslexia and had a stellar career with the Bears (and graduated), but you know that didn't stop Stanford fans from twisting the knife. I don't think Utah fans should carry that torch, but Gameday signs are all about attacking enemies -- real or imagined. Some are good, some are bad and some will get confiscated by ESPN staffers.

mUUser
10-07-2015, 12:51 PM
Guessing there'll be a few counterpunches for our rivals as well?

Perhaps stand next to a BYU flag holder......

"Little Brother Syndrome ------>"
"Riding Utah's Coat Tails ------->"
"YBU 0, Michigan 31"

Stuff like that.

jrj84105
10-07-2015, 01:32 PM
What kind of game plan do we see against Cal?

On offense, I sort of expect something similar to what we did against Michigan. Safe (given Cal's success with turnovers) with a lot of wuick WR screens (given a decent pass rush from Cal) to stretch the field horizontally. It didn't generate a lot of points against Michigan, but I doubt Cal has the kind of big, physical, strong tackling kind of DBs that Michigan used to shut down our YAC on those plays. if we can spread the field horizontally with safe, quick passes, I think that opens up opportunities for Booker to have some big carries inside the hashes.

On defense, given Goff's limited mobility, I hope we see a lot of press man coverage with a safety over top of their big time receiver. Don't let Goff get in a rhythm with a lot of quick easy throws against soft zone cushions. If we can win the LOS without bringing extra guys, i think we can aggressively press while still leaving a safety back to prevent the big play. Just depends on the front four getting to Goff before the coverage breaks down.

U-Ute
10-07-2015, 01:36 PM
I'm not good at gameday signs. Some good ones in here.

U-Ute
10-07-2015, 02:24 PM
Watching the highlight youtube clips of the Cal/Wazzu game, it is clear that Wazzu tackled very poorly in that game.

Not to take away what Goff and Co did, but Wazzu didn't do themselves any favors.

NorthwestUteFan
10-07-2015, 02:35 PM
Russell White was admitted to Cal as a Prop 48 student, the first such admission Cal ever made with any athlete. With Stanford as their big rival, and with Cal always insisting it had academic chops, this was a big deal and Stanford made a lot of hay with it. White was diagnosed with dyslexia and had a stellar career with the Bears (and graduated), but you know that didn't stop Stanford fans from twisting the knife. I don't think Utah fans should carry that torch, but Gameday signs are all about attacking enemies -- real or imagined. Some are good, some are bad and some will get confiscated by ESPN staffers.

Can't do that. And Fvck USC (or whomever it was) forever for chanting 'Prop 48!' at Andre Miller when we played them back around '97.

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-08-2015, 11:32 AM
The MoTab has been asked to sing Utah Man for ESPN. Here's a previous recording. http://tindeck.com/listen/mkmj

DrumNFeather
10-08-2015, 11:33 AM
The MoTab has been asked to sing Utah Man for ESPN. Here's a previous recording. http://tindeck.com/listen/mkmj

This should also go in the Happy thread!

Applejack
10-08-2015, 11:37 AM

:highfive:

LA Ute
10-08-2015, 12:12 PM

I don't know about now, but back in the 1970s and 1980s most of the Choir's members were Utah grads. In the late 1970s the Choir made an album of classic college fight songs (Notre Dame, Michigan, USC, etc., and they insisted on putting "Utah Man" on the album. NOT another Utah school's fight song. That is the version Dwight links to.

We played it over the RES loudspeakers in 1978 as the BYU team was entering the field. We won that game.

SoCalPat
10-08-2015, 12:38 PM

Original lyrics or altered?

Rocker Ute
10-08-2015, 12:43 PM
I'm not a sign guy but if I were it would be one of these:

Top: "Will the U Win?"

And then below either a picture of that goofy cal logo with the bear with a hat with the caption:

"Does a bear wear a funny hat?"

Or a picture of a pope with the cal bear hat photoshopped on that says,

"Does the Pope wear a funny hat"

I was trying to do something with "Does the Pope crap in the woods" but couldn't connect it.

Applejack
10-08-2015, 01:03 PM
I just watched The Drive featuring the Oregon game. WE WON! WE ARE GOING TO KILL CAL!!

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-08-2015, 01:50 PM
Sign idea:
Utah would beat the pants off of Cal

If those liberal communists ever wore pants.

SoCalPat
10-08-2015, 02:40 PM
Sign idea:
Utah would beat the pants off of Cal

If those liberal communists ever wore pants.

Need something that can be read from afar. Too wordy. Good idea, but the only ones who would ever see it are those standing right next to you.

Diehard Ute
10-08-2015, 02:48 PM
The Cal board "Bear Insider" has been pretty decent all week.

Someone even started a thread saying they just couldn't come up with much to hate about Utah.

In that thread one poster went on a rant about Utah being built entirely on JC's and non-qualifiers and how he hates that Utah doesn't care about academics. Guess APR doesn't matter to him ;)

Viking
10-08-2015, 02:51 PM
My sign would be:
"M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E"

Of course with the block U in red upside down

"Go Cougars!" Underneath.

Actually, while the motab sings the dumbest fight song ever, id get like 30 guys to lift up the same sign at the same time. Timing is everything, fellow cougars, So don't raise the signs until the singing starts.

NorthwestUteFan
10-08-2015, 03:01 PM
My sign would be:
"M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E"

Speaking of that...

It must be a tough year for you. After this weekend your Cougars and your Longhorns will be a combined 3-8.

Viking
10-08-2015, 03:10 PM
Speaking of that...

It must be a tough year for you. After this weekend your Cougars and your Longhorns will be a combined 3-8.

Yep.

NorthwestUteFan
10-08-2015, 04:53 PM
Yep.

Keep your head up, buckaroo! Maybe Texas will REALLY crack open the checkbook and bring in Saban next year.

chrisrenrut
10-08-2015, 05:03 PM
My sign would be:
"M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E"

Actually, while the motab sings the dumbest fight song ever, id get like 30 guys to lift up the same sign at the same time. Timing is everything, fellow cougars, So don't raise the signs until the singing starts.

I find it just a little sad at the type of smack talk BYU fans have been reduced to. They used to be such a proud group. Now it is fight songs, comparing Utes to Lamanites, and resorting to referencing 1984 (commenting on multiple sources, not just Viking).

Diehard Ute
10-08-2015, 05:18 PM
I find it just a little sad at the type of smack talk BYU fans have been reduced to. They used to be such a proud group. Now it is fight songs, comparing Utes to Lamanites, and resorting to referencing 1984 (commenting on multiple sources, not just Viking).

I love a school whose fans relish in Popcorn Popping going for song smack

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-08-2015, 05:36 PM
I love a school whose fans relish in Popcorn Popping going for song smack

I always appreciate being reminded that that's a real thing. Thank you!

SoCalPat
10-08-2015, 06:43 PM
My sign would be:
"M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E"

Had a guy in my joint the week of the UCLA game swear he was the one who coined the Mickey Mouse theme smack (He was wearing BYU gear and I told him I was gonna call security on him). He wouldn't tell me his username on CB, so I think he's bluffing. Nice guy otherwise.

Redbird
10-08-2015, 09:05 PM
My sign would be:
"M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E"

nothing about attendance, morality, or the national title you won in 1984? god, just mail it in.

Solon
10-08-2015, 09:14 PM

Viking's okay. He's just giving it a good try.

Viking
10-08-2015, 09:44 PM
nothing about attendance, morality, or the national title you won in 1984? god, just mail it in.

How could you forget not getting accepted!!?? Come on, man, get your smack sequence right!!

Viking
10-08-2015, 09:51 PM
I have to admit, what a total f-ing disaster it is to the average ute fan to have the motab representing you.

My grandfather, god rest his soul, who would have no doubt been the motab director if not for his apostasy, would find this ironic (right, ddd?). Ute grad, but would still find it hilarious and embarrassing.

Your worst nightmare has materialized: you are Mormons.

jrj84105
10-08-2015, 10:22 PM
This is the matchup that has had me scared all year. I think it is the most difficult game on the schedule. If we win this game, I'm not sure who can touch us.
I'm sticking to my guns after tonight's USC/UW game.

Applejack
10-09-2015, 09:22 AM
I just took a look at Cal's depth chart (https://admin.xosn.com/attachments1/453135.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=30100, page 11). They have a lot of senior starters. Those types of teams are dangerous on the road.

Also, with the Texas job opening up (could be soon) maybe Sonny takes a hint and jumps ship. He's a Texas guy and there is no better job in the world for a Texan than the job at Texas. Something to think about.

Redbird
10-09-2015, 09:30 AM
I just took a look at Cal's depth chart (https://admin.xosn.com/attachments1/453135.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=30100, page 11). They have a lot of senior starters. Those types of teams are dangerous on the road.

Also, with the Texas job opening up (could be soon) maybe Sonny takes a hint and jumps ship. He's a Texas guy and there is no better job in the world for a Texan than the job at Texas. Something to think about.

Strong will get a 3rd year.

Applejack
10-09-2015, 09:45 AM
Strong will get a 3rd year.

Is he only in year two? That Texas soap opera seems to have been going on for five years now.

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-09-2015, 09:49 AM
Steve Smith bringing smack.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/09/dac990f81ea05213f4fc0b27e0d31ba2.jpg

Redbird
10-09-2015, 10:08 AM
Is he only in year two? That Texas soap opera seems to have been going on for five years now.

yeah, this is only year 2.

Sullyute
10-09-2015, 10:11 AM
Steve Smith bringing smack.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/09/dac990f81ea05213f4fc0b27e0d31ba2.jpg

That. Is. Awesome.

SoCalPat
10-09-2015, 10:30 AM
That. Is. Awesome.

That. Is. Photoshopped.

Sullyute
10-09-2015, 10:50 AM
That. Is. Photoshopped.

Thanks for the info. That definitely drops it down to "lol, that is funny!"

Rocker Ute
10-09-2015, 11:22 AM

Reading about the dumpster fire that was their recently fired AD, they better cut that guy a break. However I don't think there is an ounce of patience in Texas and there is no limit to what boosters will pay to get a winning coach in place.

Diehard Ute
10-09-2015, 12:12 PM
http://bit.ly/1Miwniy

They even used the traditional lyrics

hostile
10-09-2015, 12:26 PM
Nice write from Ted Miller.
http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id/92740/utahs-trophy-case-eyeballing-upgrade

DrumNFeather
10-09-2015, 12:39 PM
Looks like the fans are already turning out for the GameDay stuff. Way to represent!

LA Ute
10-09-2015, 01:20 PM
I posed this elsewhere but it belongs here. I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EbrEjjqipU

More about it here:

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/3047348-155/utah-football-mormon-tabernacle-choir-sings

DrumNFeather
10-09-2015, 01:36 PM

More about it here:

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/3047348-155/utah-football-mormon-tabernacle-choir-sings

BTW...I can't believe you are depriving your daughter of this experience...tisk tisk!

LA Ute
10-09-2015, 02:56 PM
BTW...I can't believe you are depriving your daughter of this experience...tisk tisk!

It is spring break and she wanted to come home. What can I say? (Her sorority actually won Song Fest and has front-row seats at Game Day. She's still happy to be here.)

utefan
10-09-2015, 03:26 PM

More about it here:

I can't hear that without the "GO UTES!" at the end. It just seems so incomplete!

chrisrenrut
10-09-2015, 04:39 PM
I can't hear that without the "GO UTES!" at the end. It just seems so incomplete!

They changed "Shout for dear old crimson" instead of "Fight for dear old crimson". That is a strange change to make.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
10-09-2015, 05:54 PM
Anyone who talks trash about a fight song is pathetic. Sorry, just being honest.

NorthwestUteFan
10-09-2015, 08:45 PM
Is anybody else sick and tired of the copious fellating of Cal on ESPN? Hopefully the SI curse will take hold of Goff tomorrow when he faces a stout and fundamentally sound Defense for the first time since the Stanford game last year, where Goff passed for 180 yds, 1 TD, and 2 picks.

utefan
10-09-2015, 08:49 PM
So Utah had the biggest win of the season so far, beating Oregon. Then Utah went into the bye week as the national media's biggest topic in college football. Now Utah has a huge game as the last 2 undefeated Pac 12 teams will square off. It's a huge battle of 2 ranked teams. ESPN GameDay is there, and the party has been jumping all day, with people camping out tonight and continuing the party all night and through tomorrow. It finally concludes tomorrow night, with Utah expected to beat a ranked and currently undefeated team handily, on national TV, in front of a wild home crowd.

I can't think of a more perfect recipe for recruiting. Hopefully all the best recruits got caught up in all the Oregon buzz and met with the coaches during the bye week. And hopefully the coaches got them out here this weekend for this game.

All the stars are lined up.

Redbird
10-10-2015, 08:41 PM
is everybody at the game? ugh.

went the wrong way after the fumble, but points are points. great work by the D.

mpfunk
10-10-2015, 08:44 PM
Little worried with only being up 3 with 2 turnovers forced. Goff is legit, we are going to need 30 plus points.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Redbird
10-10-2015, 08:45 PM
Uh...

mpfunk
10-10-2015, 08:47 PM
Yep, I'm worried. Holy hell Goff is good.

Redbird
10-10-2015, 08:52 PM
Cal is very content to give up 3 and 4-yard passes. gotta sustain drives and be patient early.

Redbird
10-10-2015, 08:53 PM
Devontae mother effing booker

mpfunk
10-10-2015, 08:54 PM
Holy shit what a run.

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-10-2015, 08:55 PM
I guess this is the game thread. When did Cal get to be so good at tackling?!

Redbird
10-10-2015, 08:55 PM
Holy shit what a run.

should've been a 2-yard loss, could've been a 20-yard run. instead, it's a TD. Helluva run.

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-10-2015, 08:57 PM
F'ing stream had me on commercial during the Booker TD?!?!

mpfunk
10-10-2015, 08:57 PM
Great pick by Domo. Thrilled to have him back.

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-10-2015, 08:58 PM
DOMO! And f'ing commercial?! WTF????

Redbird
10-10-2015, 08:59 PM
gotta get a TD out of this drive.

Redbird
10-10-2015, 08:59 PM
go for it.

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-10-2015, 09:03 PM
go for it.

Agreed!

mpfunk
10-10-2015, 09:04 PM
Our oline blocks like shit for Booker. Good thing he is amazing.

Redbird
10-10-2015, 09:06 PM
occasionally automatic andy.

+3 in turnovers, up 10-7. yeesh.

mpfunk
10-10-2015, 09:06 PM
Ugh, everything has gone right and we have a 3 point lead.

justaute
10-10-2015, 09:09 PM
We can't keep on giving Goff opportunities without getting something. Besides turnovers, he's picking apart our secondary. Our O needs to step up.

AnestheUte
10-10-2015, 09:09 PM
Ugh, everything has gone right and we have a 3 point lead.

Doesn't bode well for us honestly. Offense still looks jittery and nervous. Plus give Cal's D credit they're playing really well. There is time to right the ship, let's get this going!

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

mpfunk
10-10-2015, 09:10 PM
On the plus side, this year's batch of Big Bad Baptist is my favorite I've had. I went with the Blue Copper version.

mpfunk
10-10-2015, 09:13 PM
That pick was blatant.

mpfunk
10-10-2015, 09:19 PM
Our oline needs to pull their heads out of their asses and block for Booker.

Redbird
10-10-2015, 09:19 PM
stared down Covey, threw it behind him. yikes.

mpfunk
10-10-2015, 09:20 PM
F****. Horrible pass.

LA Ute
10-10-2015, 09:22 PM
Isn't that pick only Travis's 2nd of the season? Man, I hate to ask the D to do so much.

mpfunk
10-10-2015, 09:23 PM
Isn't that pick only Travis's 2nd of the season? Man, I hate to ask the D to do so much.

We are in trouble. It is going to be at best tied here soon.

LA Ute
I meant to say, we've gotta keep Goff off the field. We should be at 24 points now. At least 16.

justaute
Goff is terrific.

justaute
10-10-2015, 09:25 PM
Thanks to Lawler for dropping two...lucky for us.

LA Ute
10-10-2015, 09:26 PM
What a great defensive series. But we can't ask the D to do that all night. They'll be gassed by the 4th quarter.

mpfunk
10-10-2015, 09:26 PM
Our defense is bailing us out. We can't keep expecting this. We have got to get a TD on this drive. Cal is a bad defense, we should be shredding them on the ground.

mpfunk
10-10-2015, 09:31 PM
Well that was fun while it lasted. We are about to get destroyed.

mpfunk
10-10-2015, 09:32 PM
Thanks for giving it back Goff.

LA Ute
10-10-2015, 09:33 PM
Can we now capitalize????

Redbird
10-10-2015, 09:33 PM
so I think we're learning a lot about how awful the oregon defense is.

Redbird
10-10-2015, 09:34 PM
Can we now capitalize????

for as much as I like to talk about points off turnovers, that pick saved at least 3.

justaute
10-10-2015, 09:34 PM
Really hate "this" Wilson.

mpfunk
10-10-2015, 09:35 PM
We are going to have to ride Booker. He almost broke that one.

justaute
10-10-2015, 09:36 PM
YES...we needed that.

mpfunk
10-10-2015, 09:37 PM
Really hate "this" Wilson.

I like that Wilson.

Redbird
10-10-2015, 09:37 PM
goddamn, what a strike from Wilson.

Redbird
10-10-2015, 09:39 PM
W O W! he caught that!

mpfunk
10-10-2015, 09:40 PM
Amazing play by Paul.

justaute
10-10-2015, 09:40 PM
Paul!

mpfunk
10-10-2015, 09:41 PM
That may be coming back. Damn.

Redbird
10-10-2015, 09:42 PM
5 turnovers from this defense in the first half. opportunistic and hungry. superb.

Redbird
10-10-2015, 09:43 PM
great patience and vision from Booker. He's such a stud.

LA Ute
WOOT

mpfunk
Booker is a God.

LA Ute
10-10-2015, 09:45 PM
It looks like something has changed on the line of scrimmage. Our D-line seems to be getting more push

LA Ute
10-10-2015, 09:46 PM
We need a stop here

mpfunk
10-10-2015, 09:47 PM
As long as they don't score a TD here, I'll feel good.

mpfunk
10-10-2015, 09:49 PM
Shit.

LA Ute
10-10-2015, 09:49 PM
As long as they don't score a TD here, I'll feel good.

You're not going to feel good. #!?$$!!

mpfunk
10-10-2015, 09:50 PM
Well now I'm not feeling good.

justaute
10-10-2015, 09:51 PM
Hell, that was way too easy.

LA Ute
10-10-2015, 09:52 PM
Wasn't that a pick play??

mpfunk
10-10-2015, 09:52 PM
That was ugly. So so ugly. That also was obvious PI. Bullshit it wasn't called.