Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Mormon Red Death
10-11-2015, 05:16 PM
Game starts at 10pm EST 8pm local on ESPN

Redbird
10-11-2015, 07:59 PM
Utah opens at -7.

This is going to be a very tight game. ASU has our number, and our offense still has quite a few kinks to work out. But that defense is swarming, and there's something about this team to this point in the season.

NorthwestUteFan
10-11-2015, 08:04 PM
FWIW, the ESPN FPI says Utah has a 74% chance of beating ASU.

Devildog
10-11-2015, 09:34 PM
It is time. We need this f'n monkey off our back. ASU gets beat this week.

LA Ute
10-11-2015, 09:42 PM
Utah opens at -7.

This is going to be a very tight game. ASU has our number, and our offense still has quite a few kinks to work out. But that defense is swarming, and there's something about this team to this point in the season.

At the risk of over-simplifying, I'll say it this way: The seem to know how to win games, even if they have to scracth and claw their way to victory.

LA Ute
10-11-2015, 11:51 PM
My wishes for the ASU game:

1. That we are comfortably ahead at the end and aren't in a position where we need the defense to bail us out of a nail-biting final series.

2. That if we end up in a close one, and in a situation where we all we need to close out the game is a first down or two, we can get a first down or two.

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-12-2015, 12:26 AM
It is time. We need this f'n monkey off our back. ASU gets beat this week.

First ASU's f'n monkey. Then Washington's f'n monkey. No more f'n monkey at the end of this f'n season!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Utebiquitous
10-12-2015, 12:27 AM
How about we combine the two? I'd love to see us up seven points with five minutes left and take the remaining clock driving for a touchdown and putting a decisive victory on the Sun Devils. Is that too much to ask?

LA Ute
10-12-2015, 12:29 AM
How about we combine the two? I'd love to see us up seven points with five minutes left and take the remaining clock driving for a touchdown and putting a decisive victory on the Sun Devils. Is that too much to ask?

Nope. It's a modest proposal if I ever saw one.

Solon
10-12-2015, 12:40 AM
First ASU's f'n monkey. Then Washington's f'n monkey. No more f'n monkey at the end of this f'n season!!!!

Time to spank that monkey!
Wait. What?...

U-Ute
10-12-2015, 08:08 AM
One thing the Cal game showed me is our linebackers are finally fast enough to cover the spread offense.

Paul is amazing. He reminds me of Weddle in that he always seems to be in the right place at the right time. The guy seems like he is everywhere.

UTEopia
10-12-2015, 08:15 AM
The more we win the bigger each game becomes. I have no doubt that this will be a nail biter

Mormon Red Death
10-12-2015, 09:12 AM
This and next week are the two most important weeks in Utah Football Pac 12 membership.

If we win these next two games we have pretty much won the south. *Look talking about playoffs is fun and I know there is a chance. I would prefer to think more about things that are more likely to happen. *That is us winning the south and then having a good chance to beat Stanford to play in the Rose Bowl. *
Right now we have a 1 game lead on UCLA and ASU and a two game lead on USC and Arizona. *Winning this week probably puts us with a 2 game lead at least on everybody (UCLA is at Stanford on Thursday night).

Hot Lunch
10-12-2015, 10:48 AM
It is only Monday and I am extremely excited about Saturday nights game.

1st off, Whitt has had the ASU offense figured out the past two season. We held them to 20 in Salt Lake two years ago and then 19 in OT last year. It is the offense that I am extremely worried about, especially after the performance of Travis Wilson last Saturday. After the Oregon game I was asking for forgiveness on the things that criticism that I have given Travis in the past. I even said that to JIC via text. After Saturday night, I am back to wondering what we do have with Travis as well as Roderick. Travis looked bad, he wasn't accurate, wasn't making good decisions and that need to change. It has to change to win these next couple of games.

We just beat a very good Cal team, my goodness is our D good. They need to play the same way the did vs. Cal for us to have a chance. I also don't want to put all the pressure on the D like we did Saturday night. That makes me nervous.

SeattleUte
10-12-2015, 11:04 AM
Somebody tell me about ASU's defense.

SoCalPat
10-12-2015, 11:29 AM

On a related note, while watching the Bills game, a longtime Bills reporter Tweeted something I never knew ... that Marv Levy took over play-calling duties from his OC when the team was inside the 5-yard line. That's saying something for a team with Jim Kelly at QB calling the plays, and with an all-time great OC in Ted Marchibroda on the team for many of Marv's years.

I think we're all familiar with the notion that the HC makes definitive calls at key points in the game, mostly whether or not to go for it on 4th down. I've gotta wonder if Kyle has absolute authority and takes over everything on offense when we're in a situation like we were late against Cal. We might be on our 8th OC in the last 9 years, but game management with a slim lead in the 4th quarter has been a constant. You couldn't tell we've had that much turnover in OCs by watching Utah under Kyle.

Devildog
10-12-2015, 11:40 AM
It is the offense that I am extremely worried about, especially after the performance of Travis Wilson last Saturday.

I am back to wondering what we do have with Travis as well as Roderick. Travis looked bad, he wasn't accurate, wasn't making good decisions and that need to change. It has to change to win these next couple of games.

We just beat a very good Cal team, my goodness is our good. They need to play the same way the did vs. Cal for us to have a chance. I also don't want to put all the pressure on the D like we did Saturday night. That makes me nervous.

I agree with all of this. Are we not used to this by now? This is Utah football under Kyle. Cal is a good team this year and we fought them using all the tools we have. Defense being our strongest weapon. Nervous is an understatement in my case... but it was great to see one of the best quarterbacks in the NCAA fail against our defense in a classic two minute drill. Kyle will always trust his defense to get it done.

Brian
10-12-2015, 11:50 AM
I agree with all of this. Are we not used to this by now? This is Utah football under Kyle. Cal is a good team this year and we fought them using all the tools we have. Defense being our strongest weapon. Nervous is an understatement in my case... but it was great to see one of the best quarterbacks in the NCAA fail against our defense in a classic two minute drill. Kyle will always trust his defense to get it done.

Excellent point.
Kyle turned to what he trusted to seal the game.

And, the defense gave up 0 points in the 2nd half outside of the fumble deep in Utah territory.
Fantastic adjustments.

Hot Lunch
10-12-2015, 11:52 AM

Yes we are and I just want to get to that next level. We are a dynamic QB away from being a great team. Our defense is great, our Running Back is great, our O line is good but we the consistency at QB is the only thing holding this team back.

Like yourself, it was great to see our D perform like they did vs. a top 5 pic in next's years draft. I am blown away at how good our secondary is. They continue to improve week after week and what they did Saturday night was a thing of beauty.

Applejack
10-12-2015, 12:03 PM
Somebody tell me about ASU's defense.

It's only one game, but damn did they look good versus UCLA. Blitzing and attacking on seemingly every play. Their front four looked dominant, owning the UCLA O-line which I assume is well regarded. I'm nervous.

Devildog
10-12-2015, 12:24 PM
Excellent point.
Kyle turned to what he trusted to seal the game.

And, the defense gave up 0 points in the 2nd half outside of the fumble deep in Utah territory.
Fantastic adjustments.

Yes we are and I just want to get to that next level. We are a dynamic QB away from being a great team. Our defense is great, our Running Back is great, our O line is good but we the consistency at QB is the only thing holding this team back.

Like yourself, it was great to see our D perform like they did vs. a top 5 pic in next's years draft. I am blown away at how good our secondary is. They continue to improve week after week and what they did Saturday night was a thing of beauty.

We all would like to see Travis play every week like he did against Oregon. It's not going to happen though. He doesn't need to be a world beater for this team to be successful. I read a post on this forum (don't remember which thread or poster), but it had an interesting stat that over the last decade or so, it showed that when the Utah quarterback passed at a completion rate (for the season) above 60%... Utah almost always wins (see 2004 and 2008).

Travis just needs to be efficient with the football and not turn it over. Booker is a workhorse, and defense wins championships, the special teams keep performing and we are going to be in a position to win every game.

LA Ute
10-12-2015, 12:29 PM
I've gotta wonder if Kyle has absolute authority and takes over everything on offense when we're in a situation like we were late against Cal. We might be on our 8th OC in the last 9 years, but game management with a slim lead in the 4th quarter has been a constant. You couldn't tell we've had that much turnover in OCs by watching Utah under Kyle.

This is really an excellent question and point. Anyone have any inside info? There have been some reports that Sitake was really tired of the D constantly being put in difficult situations and being expected to pull off a miracle stop again and again. If KW has that authority maybe that's why Kalani blamed him for that problem.

Thus my question: what can we do to jump start the offense when it dies in the 4th? It happens all the time. What are the right plays to get things going again? As a fan, I'm afraid to just try and run, run, run the clock. I'm afraid that's a recipe for a 3 and out. But in those situations, I'm just as afraid to pass, as that seems to usually waste a down without running clock. We've been in this situation many times with TW, and so far very little has worked.

Another good question. I hope the Ute brain trust is figuring out an answer.

Brian
10-12-2015, 12:46 PM

I was watching on TV, wasn't able to see the play of the WRs.
TW seemed to be in the pocket a few times for a while looking for someone (hopefully someoneS). We're they getting open? Is it the skill? called routes? Or Cal covered them like unto Domo?

LA Ute
10-12-2015, 01:04 PM
TW seemed to be in the pocket a few times for a while looking for someone (hopefully someoneS). We're they getting open? Is it the skill? called routes? Or Cal covered them like unto Domo?

I have a hunch they were not getting open, but haven't watched the tape to see if that's true. But even when they were open TW was still not throwing the ball accurately. He had an off night. (I hope it was an off night, and that his play against Oregon was not a happy aberration.)

Brian
10-12-2015, 01:06 PM
I wish they would have run some picks as the refs were obviously going to let them play fast and loose.

maybe TW was rusty after the bye, and healing the shoulder up.

U-Ute
10-12-2015, 01:06 PM
It's only one game, but damn did they look good versus UCLA. Blitzing and attacking on seemingly every play. Their front four looked dominant, owning the UCLA O-line which I assume is well regarded. I'm nervous.

I like an attacking team. That's what Oregon did and we were able to take advantage of their over-zealousness.

DrumNFeather
10-12-2015, 01:32 PM

I missed Gameday, so I went back and watched and listened to what the experts said in making their picks. To a man, they all said that the Cal game was going to be won by Defense and special teams. In fact, I think Herbstreet even said that TW isn't going to play as well as he did vs. Oregon, but even so, Utah could still win...and that's pretty much how it played out.

Travis needed to keep the ball a few more times on those read option plays. He would've had some big chunk runs, I think.

I'd also like to see more underneath routes and TE production. We also need our WRs to go beyond the sticks on 3rd and long.

I liked that Wilson took responsibility for the offensive struggles and committed to improving. We haven't seen this level of accountability in the past and I think these guys know the opportunity that sits in front of them and won't allow themselves to play poorly in back to back weeks. At least that's my hope.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

chrisrenrut
10-12-2015, 01:41 PM

Kyle said in his press conference that Cal did a nice job of getting hands on WR's, disrupting the timing of routes.

Applejack
10-12-2015, 02:15 PM
I missed Gameday, so I went back and watched and listened to what the experts said in making their picks. To a man, they all said that the Cal game was going to be won by Defense and special teams. In fact, I think Herbstreet even said that TW isn't going to play as well as he did vs. Oregon, but even so, Utah could still win...and that's pretty much how it played out.

Travis needed to keep the ball a few more times on those read option plays. He would've had some big chunk runs, I think.

I'd also like to see more underneath routes and TE production. We also need our WRs to go beyond the sticks on 3rd and long.

I liked that Wilson took responsibility for the offensive struggles and committed to improving. We haven't seen this level of accountability in the past and I think these guys know the opportunity that sits in front of them and won't allow themselves to play poorly in back to back weeks. At least that's my hope.

I wonder how that shoulder is healing. when TW keeps the ball it's like he is anticipating pain; that tells me something is not right with the shoulder. When he runs it, as soon as someone is within 5 feet he pulls up. He should simply slide.

But something tells me that the shoulder doesn't feel right.

Sullyute
10-12-2015, 02:40 PM
I wonder how that shoulder is healing. when TW keeps the ball it's like he is anticipating pain; that tells me something is not right with the shoulder. When he runs it, as soon as someone is within 5 feet he pulls up. He should simply slide.

And not that Pete Rose head first slide he did. Get those legs out in front and stay healthy, my friend.

hostile
10-12-2015, 05:52 PM
Kyle said in his press conference that Cal did a nice job of getting hands on WR's, disrupting the timing of routes.
I think you will see this more and more. Defenses and DBs are going to be more physical with receivers and try and throw of timing. They are going to push the refs to make a call. It worked for us on the last play of the game.

concerned
10-13-2015, 07:56 AM
So I keep reading that we have to improve our passing game to have a chance against ASU, or improve this or that. Why are we 7 point favorites? What are our match-up advantages? Where are they weak this year?

DrumNFeather
10-13-2015, 08:50 AM
So I keep reading that we have to improve our passing game to have a chance against ASU, or improve this or that. Why are we 7 point favorites? What are our match-up advantages? Where are they weak this year?

I believe they have Freshmen starting at both tackle spots on the OL. If that is the case, the combo of our DEs should be able to pressure their QB all day and force him into making mistakes.

DrumNFeather
10-14-2015, 09:29 AM
So, ASU blitzes a lot against everyone. What is the answer for an offense like ours? I don't know if we have the QB/WR combo to beat the blitz with quick, precise reads. We don't have great blocking out of our WRs to beat the blitz with screen plays. I feel like this has been one of our toughest challenges over the past few years, and I'm surprised more teams don't just blitz, blitz, blitz us.

Maybe a swing pass to Williams and let him take it to the house with that speed. Or perhaps we get a guy like Repp more involved. What the heck happened to Harrison Handley? Do our TEs get TDs and then just get shut down for the season? :)

NorthwestUteFan
10-14-2015, 12:02 PM
They tried to run the Wheel Route to Booker out of the backfield, but the pass was a touch too long. Booker was WFOpen, and that alone would have blown the game wide open. TW needed to wait a touch for that play to work.

Conversely if that play plus the Option play to the left had worked, and we scored 20 points in the 2nd half instead of 6, and won the game 44-24, then perhaps USC would already have a contract delivered to Kyle Whittingham.

Solon
10-14-2015, 03:26 PM
So, ASU blitzes a lot against everyone. What is the answer for an offense like ours? I don't know if we have the QB/WR combo to beat the blitz with quick, precise reads. We don't have great blocking out of our WRs to beat the blitz with screen plays. I feel like this has been one of our toughest challenges over the past few years, and I'm surprised more teams don't just blitz, blitz, blitz us.

I would love to see the shuffle-pass this week. It can work great against an over-pursuing defense.

Mormon Red Death
10-14-2015, 05:38 PM
IMHO this game will hinge on Travis Wilson.* ASU blitzes a lot.* In order to beat a team that blitzes a lot you have to make them pay with the read option and the pass.* If you watched the SD vs Pit game a perfect example came up near the end of the game on SD Last TD.* Pittsburgh blitzed and rivers made them pay hitting a wide open gates in the end zone. *

Hot Lunch
10-15-2015, 01:37 PM
IMHO this game will hinge on Travis Wilson.* ASU blitzes a lot.* In order to beat a team that blitzes a lot you have to make them pay with the read option and the pass.* If you watched the SD vs Pit game a perfect example came up near the end of the game on SD Last TD.* Pittsburgh blitzed and rivers made them pay hitting a wide open gates in the end zone. *

The last two years it has hinged on Wilson and he failed. The defense in both '13 and '14 played well enough to win. We lost to ASU the past two years because our offense was awful and Travis couldn't move the ball. Let's hope that changes this year and ARod can have him ready.

DrumNFeather
10-15-2015, 01:53 PM
The last two years it has hinged on Wilson and he failed. The defense in both '13 and '14 played well enough to win. We lost to ASU the past two years because our offense was awful and Travis couldn't move the ball. Let's hope that changes this year and ARod can have him ready.

Don't forget that Quasi-Automatic Andy missed some kicks last year.

Hot Lunch
10-15-2015, 01:55 PM
Don't forget that Quasi-Automatic Andy missed some kicks last year.

Ah yes. I get nervous every time he kicks now.

DrumNFeather
10-15-2015, 02:05 PM
Ah yes. I get nervous every time he kicks now.

Ha! Me too.

But overall I agree, this is going to hinge on Travis handling ASU's pressure and making accurate throws. We better have a wrinkle we haven't shown before to catch ASU napping.

I do think their QB will throw the ball to us if we can get the same pressure we got on Goff, we just need to convert those chances. An early shot down field to CBB or somebody would be nice.

Applejack
10-15-2015, 02:30 PM
We only got on PI out of Kenny Scott last week. Gotta get 2-3 of those!

But he did get 2-3 of his patented 6-yards-on-3rd-and-ten catches.

NorthwestUteFan
10-15-2015, 06:27 PM

The curls piss me off because a late throw means the receiver is moving back to the qb and the longer the throw takes, the fewer yards you get and the sooner the receiver gets tackled. Suddenly that 10-yd gain becomes an 8- or 6- yd gain.

The receiver needs to stop, turn, and immediately catch the ball while he still has separation.

LA Ute
10-15-2015, 07:32 PM

I haven't paid close attention to that problem this season. It's terrible route-running if it's happening. Drives fans nuts. Surely coaches too.

Diehard Ute
10-15-2015, 08:39 PM
Just read the play by play log of the game.

Scott never had a catch on third down, let alone one short of the sticks.

NorthwestUteFan
10-15-2015, 10:41 PM
Fakailoatonga looks good on 3rd down this year. He caught a few in traffic.

DrumNFeather
10-16-2015, 07:51 AM
Interesting reading Piper & Goon's piece in the trib about ASU's pressure. Over the last two seasons, it has only resulted in 4 turnovers and 3.67 sacks per game (I think I read that correctly). What's more, the Utes just haven't been able to move the sticks. Whit apparently expressed regret last year that we didn't take more shots down the field, so It will be interesting to see if they try to open up the defense that way. With our O-line only giving up 2 sacks so far this year, they will definitely be tested and if ASU brings pressure, we've got to be prepared to get rid of the ball quickly and do what so many other teams have done to us and utilize the TEs.

An increasing number of people are calling for the ASU upset, but I have to wonder if the Cal game gave the Utes the confidence to go out and hammer these guys. As we know from the last two years, ASU is not a team you can allow to hang around. It's going to have to be more than Booker this time. Covey, Poole, Scott, Singleton, Handley, TE with the long last name, Repp. It's all hands on deck, and I think they'll respond.

UBlender
10-16-2015, 08:36 AM
Interesting reading Piper & Goon's piece in the trib about ASU's pressure. Over the last two seasons, it has only resulted in 4 turnovers and 3.67 sacks per game (I think I read that correctly). What's more, the Utes just haven't been able to move the sticks. Whit apparently expressed regret last year that we didn't take more shots down the field, so It will be interesting to see if they try to open up the defense that way. With our O-line only giving up 2 sacks so far this year, they will definitely be tested and if ASU brings pressure, we've got to be prepared to get rid of the ball quickly and do what so many other teams have done to us and utilize the TEs.

An increasing number of people are calling for the ASU upset, but I have to wonder if the Cal game gave the Utes the confidence to go out and hammer these guys. As we know from the last two years, ASU is not a team you can allow to hang around. It's going to have to be more than Booker this time. Covey, Poole, Scott, Singleton, Handley, TE with the long last name, Repp. It's all hands on deck, and I think they'll respond.

What their pressure has done is caused Travis to bail out of the pocket too early and throw the ball out of bounds or scramble for no yards. He's been careful with the ball, perhaps a little too much. He hasn't turned it over but he also hasn't done anything productive against these guys. Of course, two years ago he was concussed in the first half and nobody knew it (also was dealing with that hand injury) and last year OCDC called like 4 pass plays the entire game.

This game is going to tell us a lot about HardRod. ASU's pressure will create opportunities to make plays. It will be interesting to see if they can scheme to take advantage AND instill the confidence in Travis to hang in there and make his throws even when facing pressure. They also need to get the OL (and TE/RB) to pick up those blitzes.

Redbird
10-17-2015, 07:53 AM
The Ute Proud jerseys this week.

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-17-2015, 09:56 AM
The Ute Proud jerseys this week.

Looks pretty good. I noticed they don't have a view of the back so we can't see all those monkeys.

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-17-2015, 10:01 AM
It seems like the biggest difference between last year and this year is Travis' ability to change the play at the line of scrimmage. I think it's common belief at this point that DC wouldn't allow Travis to do this all year, so when you have a team like ASU that blitzes every other down, it's important for the QB to make adjustments when the defense shows. It will be interesting to see if Travis is able to make the correct changes tonight and really exploit the blitz instead of just trying to salvage a bad situation.

Diehard Ute
10-17-2015, 10:10 AM
It seems like the biggest difference between last year and this year is Travis' ability to change the play at the line of scrimmage. I think it's common belief at this point that DC wouldn't allow Travis to do this all year, so when you have a team like ASU that blitzes every other down, it's important for the QB to make adjustments when the defense shows. It will be interesting to see if Travis is able to make the correct changes tonight and really exploit the blitz instead of just trying to salvage a bad situation.

The Trib had a good article about Aiono a while back.

It talked about how having the same basic offense and a good OL coach has allowed Aiono and the line to be able to concentrate on reads.

Aiono scans the safeties first at the line, then the LB and calls out the protections. He said he loves it and it's like reading a book now. He said they usually know what's coming after looking at the safeties.

Travis can overrule Aiono on protection but it's rare that happens because they're on the same page.

Aiono mentioned they'd never done this stuff in his other years as they were still just trying to learn the playbook until mid season.

DrumNFeather
10-17-2015, 11:54 AM
Lots of folks picking an upset. Get mad, Kyle, play that disrespect card.

LA Ute
10-17-2015, 02:11 PM
Interesting statistic: Arizona State is last in the conference in turnover margin; Utah is first. In other statistics there is not a great deal of difference, except passing offense. We are 11th and the conference and they are 4th. Both programs are neck and neck in both rushing and passing defense. Anyway, the turnover margin difference is interesting, and who knows? It might be the difference in the game.

Diehard Ute
10-17-2015, 03:24 PM
The Utes were just live from the locker room talking equipment on periscope.

Chase Hansen's number is 22 and his locker is in the safety section of the locker room.

LA Ute
10-17-2015, 03:33 PM
The Utes were just live from the locker room talking equipment on periscope.

Chase Hansen's number is 22 and his locker is in the safety section of the locker room.

Who could've seen this coming? 😉

Diehard Ute
10-17-2015, 03:34 PM
Who could've seen this coming? 😉

Confirming the social media reports, I don't trust parents tweets :)

LA Ute
10-17-2015, 03:44 PM
Just wondering who's gonna play the most important position in the team for us next year? A freshman? A JC transfer?

NorthwestUteFan
10-17-2015, 03:49 PM
I am glad to see Chase get on the field somehow. He is a good athlete. But is he ready to jump in there on pass coverage? Will opposing QBs pick him apart?

I guess if Whitt leaves it won't matter anyway. He likely would not play qb if we end up with a high-powered offense.

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-17-2015, 04:00 PM
I am glad to see Chase get on the field somehow. He is a good athlete. But is he ready to jump in there on pass coverage? Will opposing QBs pick him apart?

I guess if Whitt leaves it won't matter anyway. He likely would not play qb if we end up with a high-powered offense.

Yep. This is all the confirmation that I need that Whit is done at the end of the season. I hope we get it done while we have the opportunity.

Diehard Ute
10-17-2015, 04:06 PM

Well I don't think he's going to see a ton of in game action now.

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-17-2015, 04:26 PM
Well I don't think he's going to see a ton of in game action now.

Yep. Likely went from #3 QB to #3 safety. For now.

concerned
10-17-2015, 04:39 PM
He can't play quarterback now correct? 22 is not a number a quarterback can wear is it?

Diehard Ute
10-17-2015, 04:48 PM
He can't play quarterback now correct? 22 is not a number a quarterback can wear is it?

That's NFL rules. College doesn't have that restriction (beyond some rules about lineman and wanting "backs" below 50)

DrumNFeather
10-17-2015, 05:30 PM
Yep. Likely went from #3 QB to #3 safety. For now.

Maybe Jason Thompson switches back.

DrumNFeather
10-17-2015, 05:47 PM
I don't think this means anything. Chase is a competitor, and he wants to be on the field. They tried giving him an offensive package, but who wants to take the ball away from Wilson right now? So they'll give him some snaps at safety. If he doesn't win the starting qb job next season, he'll probably ask to switch. Why not give him some time there?

I don't understand how this is related to whitt coaching here next season.
I believe Kyle had previously said that he was so talented that they needed to find a way to get him on the field. Perhaps this is that.

NorthwestUteFan
10-17-2015, 05:52 PM
He knows the offense extremely well. Perhaps we will see him as a receiver.

DrumNFeather
10-17-2015, 06:02 PM
I don't think this means anything. Chase is a competitor, and he wants to be on the field. They tried giving him an offensive package, but who wants to take the ball away from Wilson right now? So they'll give him some snaps at safety. If he doesn't win the starting qb job next season, he'll probably ask to switch. Why not give him some time there?

I don't understand how this is related to whitt coaching here next season.
Also, yes, I agree, it signals nothing. We're the #4 team in the country and nobody can seem to enjoy that.

mpfunk
10-17-2015, 08:28 PM
Great start even without the fumble for a TD. I'm assuming they won't call it a fumble, because it is not one.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

mpfunk
10-17-2015, 08:38 PM
Repp has got to catch that.

mpfunk
10-17-2015, 08:41 PM
Defense has come to play today.

AnestheUte
10-17-2015, 08:52 PM
So far the O hasn't looked bad. Travis making good reads and throws. Fakailoatonga down with a knee injury, and Handley steps up. I like it.

mpfunk
10-17-2015, 09:03 PM
Damn special teams killing us.

Redbird
10-17-2015, 09:13 PM
Ken BAMF Scott. What a drive for him and Wilson.

mpfunk
10-17-2015, 09:14 PM
Ken BAMF Scott. What a drive for him and Wilson.

That catch was incredible.

utefan
10-17-2015, 09:16 PM
Can somebody tell me who these people are that claim to be the Utah kickoff and punt squads? They're obviously not the real Utah kickoff and punt squads.

And while you're at it, please tell me who these guys are that are pretending to be Travis Wilson and Kenneth Scott. They're obviously imposters. Perfect passes deep down the field and amazing 1 handed catches, in the pouring rain? Incredible!

mpfunk
10-17-2015, 09:19 PM
Defense playing out of its mind today.

AnestheUte
10-17-2015, 09:30 PM
If special teams makes the plays they usually do, we're up 14 nothing at the least. Defense has looked impressive so far.

Redbird
10-17-2015, 09:33 PM
another stop from the D. I want to see Utah get a chunk run play on the next drive.

Redbird
10-17-2015, 09:56 PM
what can you say? if it was just offense and defense, we'd be up a minimum of 14-0. but ASU is handily winning special teams, and it's kept them in the game. They're doing an excellent job of taking away Booker and the ground game, and they're also winning first down.

we're in a good spot, though. Our defense will start giving up more yards and possibly points, but special teams will even out. We have to get TD's instead of FG's when we have the opportunity.

NorthwestUteFan
10-17-2015, 09:58 PM
Was that a #22 screwing up the coverage on the left side on the 100 yd Krtd? If so, come on Chase!

Viking
10-17-2015, 10:14 PM
Utah is overrated. BYU would kick your asses

Viking
10-17-2015, 10:15 PM
Utah loses to a terrible asu team tonight

NorthwestUteFan
10-17-2015, 10:16 PM
Utah is overrated. BYU would kick your asses

Please. Go have another caiparinho.

mpfunk
10-17-2015, 10:22 PM
We have got to get Booker involved.

utefan
10-17-2015, 10:23 PM
Utah loses to a terrible asu team tonight
That "terrible" ASU team beat UCLA by more than 2 touchdowns, at UCLA. Yes, the same UCLA team that beat BYU.

Utah is dominating ASU. It's just typical BYU fan delusion to say Utah will lose this game at this point.

mpfunk
10-17-2015, 10:26 PM
Starting to get worried.

AnestheUte
10-17-2015, 10:29 PM
ASU's D is bending but not breaking so far in the second half. We have to keep up our defensive intensity and break that ASU defense. Hurts getting knocked out of FG range though. Don't like that at all.

LA Ute
10-17-2015, 10:30 PM
Only 2 sacks all season before tonight. Up to 4 so far already tonight. Our D on the field too much now.

mpfunk
10-17-2015, 10:30 PM
This is why I was getting worried. You outplay them and let them hang around, it can go against you quick. These guys own us and we needed to actually capitalize on drives,

AnestheUte
10-17-2015, 10:35 PM
How good has our defense been? Both teams look totally 1 dimensional right now. Gotta hit home on offense. Getting most of the way down the field doesn't count.

mpfunk
10-17-2015, 10:36 PM
We are going to f-ing lose. What in the hell was that. F. F. F.

Redbird
lol, finding new ways to lose to ASU. horrible, horrible execution.

NorthwestUteFan
Whittingham coaches for Utah next year.

mpfunk
10-17-2015, 10:37 PM
Seriously. Why?

Mormon Red Death
10-17-2015, 10:37 PM
What the fuck was that?

mpfunk
10-17-2015, 10:38 PM
No excuse. Really no excuse for that play. None. This game is about to get ugly. We are going to lose by 14 plus. The defense is about to give up.

mpfunk
10-17-2015, 10:40 PM
ASU can beat the shit out of us without the assist.

I'm not sure that even Dre can throw a better assist than Whit did on that play.

Mormon Red Death
10-17-2015, 10:40 PM
They're kicking every ball out of bounds and this is what we do?

mpfunk
10-17-2015, 10:45 PM
Yep. Defense is giving up. Going to get ugly.

Viking
10-17-2015, 10:46 PM
I like an attacking team. That's what Oregon did and we were able to take advantage of their over-zealousness.

Please. Go have another caiparinho.

Caipirinha. Means"little hillbilly". I don't drink cachaca, sorry.

Redbird
10-17-2015, 10:46 PM
5 points gift-wrapped to the Sun Devils.

mpfunk
10-17-2015, 10:47 PM
We have basically give up 12 points on special teams.

Redbird
10-17-2015, 10:56 PM
if you told me we'd have 300 yards passing through 45 minutes, I'd have thought we scored at least 24 points. and only two scoring drives allowed by the defense?

U-Ute
10-17-2015, 10:57 PM
What a strange game.

Mormon Red Death
10-17-2015, 10:57 PM
Worst call by kyle in his coaching career

mpfunk
10-17-2015, 10:59 PM
Worst call by kyle in his coaching career

By far.

Time for whiskey.

LA Ute
10-17-2015, 11:00 PM
I'll ask it: Is this going to be this season's WTH loss?

Redbird
10-17-2015, 11:01 PM
has ASU made any mental or coaching errors? they protect the ball, they manage the clock, no offsides or personal fouls. they're wearing us down with their discipline.

mpfunk
10-17-2015, 11:02 PM
I'll ask it: Is this going to be this season's WTH loss?

Nope. It was an expected loss. ASU owns us. Absolutely owns us.

Redbird
10-17-2015, 11:07 PM
huge play. great play-call to get Wilson out of the pocket.

nice to see them finally goof up on special teams.

LA Ute
10-17-2015, 11:07 PM
With ASU owning our O-line that was an excellent play call!

U-Ute
10-17-2015, 11:09 PM
Great call at the right time.

Mormon Red Death
Travis Wilson keeping the ball on the zone read has been open all night

Brian
Phew.

LA Ute
10-17-2015, 11:10 PM
Travis Wilson keeping the ball on the zone read has been open all night

I guess someone in the Utah booth noticed.

U-Ute
Interesting that Wilson is going to the sideline to get the plays more often. I wonder is they think ASU has deciphered their signals.

AnestheUte
C'mon Utah! Let's keep building on this momentum. We've proven that we can win when everything doesn't go right, let's finish this game!

Redbird
10-17-2015, 11:13 PM
blitz 7 on second down, don't touch Bergovici. Send 4 on 3rd down, sack. Football is weird.

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-17-2015, 11:15 PM
Capitalize!!!

Redbird
10-17-2015, 11:16 PM
for how miserable the 3rd quarter was, we can end this damn thing with a TD here.

Dwight Schr-Ute
Capitalize to exorcise!!!

U-Ute
Scott Mitchell's teams were renowned for scoring 48 points in a loss.

LA Ute
10-17-2015, 11:17 PM
Is that 5 sacks given up tonight?

Brian
10-17-2015, 11:19 PM
Interesting that Wilson is going to the sideline to get the plays more often. I wonder is they think ASU has deciphered their signals.

I thought that too.
When did it start?

Mormon Red Death
10-17-2015, 11:20 PM
Time for a turnover

LA Ute
for how miserable the 3rd quarter was, we can end this damn thing with a TD here.

That would have deprived us of the drama we've come to expect. So instead, with a FG we've set this up nicely for another nail-biter that the D will have to win for us. Hey, that's what we do when we play ASU!

Mormon Red Death
That should've been a penalty on the kick. Defenders can't jump over linemen.

AnestheUte
10-17-2015, 11:21 PM
I despise this excessive blitzing. How have we not made them pay more?

U-Ute
10-17-2015, 11:21 PM
Is that 5 sacks given up tonight?

Seems right. But we have hurt them on it too. You will give them up you just hope you can just take advantage more often.

U-Ute
10-17-2015, 11:22 PM
I despise this excessive blitzing. How have we not made them pay more?

I think they have disguised where it is coming from well.

LA Ute
Time for a turnover

Quite right! We are due.

Brian
Time for a turnover

Yes!

LA Ute
Quite right! We are due.

Well, I feel kinda prophetic!!!

Redbird
hahahaha, it's fun when it's not Utah

U-Ute
Oh my! Looks like Utah has it!

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-17-2015, 11:24 PM
Time for a turnover

Gracias.

Redbird
10-17-2015, 11:24 PM
touchdowns are cool, but please protect the football and get points.

Mormon Red Death
10-17-2015, 11:26 PM
Should have been another penalty

LA Ute
10-17-2015, 11:34 PM
How did bercovici not recover that fumble?

Wet ball?

Redbird
10-17-2015, 11:37 PM
huge sack!

Redbird
10-17-2015, 11:37 PM
gut-check win. massive props to this team for fighting all night.

LA Ute
10-17-2015, 11:38 PM
OK, how about we get a little old first down here?

U-Ute
10-17-2015, 11:38 PM
This team is as mentally tough as any team I have ever seen. They never wavered like some people on here did. :)

Redbird
10-17-2015, 11:39 PM
This team is as mentally tough as any team I have ever seen. They never wavered like some people on here did. :)

whitt teams have always been mentally tough. now we're deep and talented enough for it to make a difference in the P12.

Mormon Red Death
10-17-2015, 11:40 PM
Suck on that todd graham

Redbird
10-17-2015, 11:40 PM
exclamation point! hell yeah!

mpfunk
10-17-2015, 11:41 PM
This team is different. Past teams would have rolled after the safety. Great win.

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-17-2015, 11:42 PM
RUTMFS!!!!!!!

Redbird
10-17-2015, 11:43 PM
bowl eligible. huge monkey off our back. 3 wins in the conference. all we need is to finish 2-4 to secure our first winning record in P12 play...

..but this team is capable of more. much more. find a way against USC next week, and the last 5 games are much easier than the first 4 P12 games.

DrumNFeather
10-17-2015, 11:45 PM
Todd Graham: "come on! We're going to win this one"

No, Todd, you aren't.

LA Ute
10-17-2015, 11:46 PM
OK, how about we get a little old first down here?

Well, we got more than a first down!

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-17-2015, 11:46 PM
CBB got up, right?! Looked weird at the end of the interception.

AnestheUte
10-17-2015, 11:49 PM
CBB got up, right?! Looked weird at the end of the interception.

Same question. Hope he's okay...

LA Ute
10-17-2015, 11:51 PM
As I have said, these Utes are an easy bunch to love. Like Redbird said, they could've folded but didn't. It's a special group of guys.

AnestheUte
10-17-2015, 11:53 PM
Can't believe Booker ended up with 118 on the ground. I realize that over half came on one play, but wow. What a rough night running for him.

I'm with LA Ute. This is a special group of players. This is a special season already. I hope the Utes can make it REALLY special. w00t!!!!!11!!1!1

Redbird
10-17-2015, 11:55 PM
Remaining games in order of how much they scare me:

1) @usc
2) @uw
3) ucla
4) @zona - could flip this with ucla
5) cu
6) osu

arizona is another team that had some hoodoo on us coming into the season, but they look really bad.

I'd definitely stratify it as:

@USC/@UW
(moderate gap)
UCLA
(massive gap)
@Arizona
OSU
CU

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-17-2015, 11:57 PM
More OSU than the Buffs?

Redbird
10-17-2015, 11:59 PM
More OSU than the Buffs?

good point, you never know what can happen in these rivalry games! we are basically their bowl game.

wally
10-18-2015, 12:30 AM

C'mon, bro! The trademark Utah fan skepticism is pretty much S.O.P. It insulates us from great emotional damage. I am way happy for the wins, but I reserve my right as a Utah fan to let the team do all the "believing" for me!

LA Ute
10-18-2015, 12:53 AM
K. Scott's grab:

https://vine.co/v/e9MEdKIQmiY

Jarid in Cedar
10-18-2015, 01:24 AM
bowl eligible. huge monkey off our back. 3 wins in the conference. all we need is to finish 2-4 to secure our first winning record in P12 play...

..but this team is capable of more. much more. find a way against USC next week, and the last 5 games are much easier than the first 4 P12 games.

We were 5-4 in conference last season

chrisrenrut
10-18-2015, 02:12 AM
C'mon, bro! The trademark Utah fan skepticism is pretty much S.O.P. It insulates us from great emotional damage. I am way happy for the wins, but I reserve my right as a Utah fan to let the team do all the "believing" for me!

Some more than others. To the point that it gets annoying.

chrisrenrut
10-18-2015, 02:15 AM
That should've been a penalty on the kick. Defenders can't jump over linemen.

Our coaches were talking to refs after both field goals asking why it wasn't a penalty. I couldn't year the explanation, but I'm guessing that part of the penalty is jumping and landing on an offensive player. I think their guy forested the line both times.

LA Ute
10-18-2015, 06:43 AM

I noticed that too. Haven't seen that before.

U-Ute
10-18-2015, 07:00 AM
Can't believe Booker ended up with 118 on the ground. I realize that over half came on one play, but wow. What a rough night running for him.

Normally I would be the first one to say "yeah, but he got all of those yards in garbage time" but this time I think he deserved those yards. After playing along and repeatedly throwing himself on the grenade for 1 and 2 yard gains without any complaining, he has a respective yard total which those east coast Heisman voters, the ones who can't be bothered to watch late night games, can look at in the stat box in a couple of weeks.

From a Karmic perspective, he earned every one of those yards.

U-Ute
10-18-2015, 07:20 AM
All aboard the Utah victory train!

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/18/3aed8e0a0c5529841ab9407c1877c473.jpg

U-Ute
10-18-2015, 07:26 AM
IIRC, this victory means we have beaten every team in the PAC-12 now at least once since joining the league?

Redbird
10-18-2015, 07:31 AM
IIRC, this victory means we have beaten every team in the PAC-12 now at least once since joining the league?

still haven't beaten Washington.

Redbird
10-18-2015, 07:33 AM
We were 5-4 in conference last season

weird that 9-4 ≠ 4-5. I got ahead of myself.

LA Ute
10-18-2015, 08:11 AM
We dominated Sparky defensively. ASU had 15 yards rushing against their prior season average of just under 200. They had 236 yards total offense, and were averaging 447. Their offense did not score a touchdown. Without the spot of 12 points -- all from special teams -- this would have been a rout.

Wilson was 26 of 36 for 297 yards and two TDs. After all the trouble he's had with ASU, that was great to see. Even giving up 5 sacks he kept his poise. Also, Andy Phillips hit all his FG attempts, which must have felt really good.

BTW, on the tape it looks like the trick play that turned into a safety would have worked if Covey had thrown the ball better. Still, I doubt we will see that one again.

This is a strong, defensively dominating Utah team. If they can continue to put on an average/decent offensive performance there's no telling what they can achieve this season. It's going to be a fun ride. My Ute Fan PTSD is easing up.

LA Ute
10-18-2015, 08:25 AM
Interesting statistic: Arizona State is last in the conference in turnover margin; Utah is first. In other statistics there is not a great deal of difference, except passing offense. We are 11th and the conference and they are 4th. Both programs are neck and neck in both rushing and passing defense. Anyway, the turnover margin difference is interesting, and who knows? It might be the difference in the game.

We ended up +2 on turnovers.

Redbird
10-18-2015, 08:27 AM
We dominated Sparky defensively. ASU had 15 yards rushing against their prior season average of just under 200. They had 236 yards total offense, and were averaging 447. Their offense did not score a touchdown. Without the spot of 12 points -- 10 from special teams -- this would have been a rout.

Wilson was 26 of 36 for 297 yards and two TDs. After all the trouble he's had with ASU, that was great to see. Even giving up 5 sacks he kept his poise. Also, Andy Phillips hit all his FG attempts, which must have felt really good.

BTW, on the tape it looks like the trick play that turned into a safety would have worked if Covey had thrown the ball better. Still, I doubt we will see that one again.

This is a strong, defensively dominating team. If they can continue to put on an average/decent offensive performance there's no telling what they can achieve this season. It's going to be a fun ride. My Ute Fan PTSD is easing up.

10 points from special teams? More like 15, because of the safety and ensuing kickoff. The defense gave up one sustained scoring drive.

USC will be very tough this week. Kessler was dropping dimes against good man coverage yesterday, and they're very talented. But you can't help but believe in this group of guys right now.

UtahsMrSports
10-18-2015, 08:30 AM
Where does this secondary rank in Ute history? Im not going to pretend i can judge anything but raw numbers, but im more confident in this group than any other that i can recall.

LA Ute
10-18-2015, 08:34 AM
10 points from special teams? More like 15, because of the safety and ensuing kickoff. The defense gave up one sustained scoring drive.

USC will be very tough this week. Kessler was dropping dimes against good man coverage yesterday, and they're very talented. But you can't help but believe in this group of guys right now.

I thought it was actually 12 (I edited my post on that point) -- the kickoff runback for 7, the punt return that set up the ASU field goal for 3, and the safety for 2, which was the purest gift of them all. But you're right, giving the ball back to them after scoring two points for them did lead to another 3 points for ASU. That a guy like Bercovici couldn't score a single TD against us is impressive.

Redbird
10-18-2015, 08:45 AM
Where does this secondary rank in Ute history? Im not going to pretend i can judge anything but raw numbers, but im more confident in this group than any other that i can recall.

The 2007 group finished first or second in pass efficiency defense. Brice McCain and Sean Smith are still starters in the NFL, while Robert Johnson and R.J. Stanford stuck around on practice squads and special teams for a while. Only Joe Dale was unable to make it in any regard at the next level.

But I agree, this is an impressive group.

edit: Steve Tate and Brandon Burton were a part of that group as well. Burton had a quick cup of coffee in the league.

SoCalPat
10-18-2015, 09:55 AM
We dominated Sparky defensively. ASU had 15 yards rushing against their prior season average of just under 200. They had 236 yards total offense, and were averaging 447. Their offense did not score a touchdown. Without the spot of 12 points -- all from special teams -- this would have been a rout.

This is a strong, defensively dominating Utah team. If they can continue to put on an average/decent offensive performance there's no telling what they can achieve this season. It's going to be a fun ride. My Ute Fan PTSD is easing up.

You can run that play Covey ran, but he's gotta come out of the end zone before throwing the ball. He faked coming out, but pulled up, and so did ASU. Made reacting to the pass much easier. By coming out of the end zone, Covey has a clear marker to which to throw the ball backward. With both players in the end zone, it makes it that much more difficult to identify where your receiver is behind you. And, if you do somehow throw the ball forward, it's half-the-distance to the goal instead of a safety.

SoCalPat
10-18-2015, 09:57 AM
Normally I would be the first one to say "yeah, but he got all of those yards in garbage time" but this time I think he deserved those yards. After playing along and repeatedly throwing himself on the grenade for 1 and 2 yard gains without any complaining, he has a respective yard total which those east coast Heisman voters, the ones who can't be bothered to watch late night games, can look at in the stat box in a couple of weeks.

From a Karmic perspective, he earned every one of those yards.

Hell yes he did. This post x1,000,000

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-18-2015, 10:04 AM
This Tweet made me break the Sabbath.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/18/32083a5122da9a4e6b79158fc3b20a60.jpg

hostile
10-18-2015, 10:24 AM
This Tweet made me break the Sabbath.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/18/32083a5122da9a4e6b79158fc3b20a60.jpg

lol

Ma'ake
10-18-2015, 10:34 AM
The difference between the botched lateral on the kickoff and the fake punt return at Oregon was just execution. I'm a little bent they ran that play on a crappy opportunity to execute it - the kickoff was too deep - but just showing it should burn up some cycles for opposing special teams.

And our kickoff and punt coverage teams should be stone cold sober after last night, although the big punt return where Hackett had to make the play was in large due to the punt, which had minimal hang time.

Man, it's good to get the ASU monkey off our backs. We still owe Washington, and we'll get that shot, but ASU's a bigger demon to have exorcized.

NorthwestUteFan
10-18-2015, 10:44 AM
Anybody complaining about Booker gaining all of his yards on two plays needs to watch some football before spouting off.

Leonard Fournette has 7SU in the highlight reel every week because he busts a number of big plays. But if you watch the games, he has plenty of carries that go for 2-4 yards.

The 2 yard jump on the grenade is what an offense must do to set up the big explosive runs.

Ma'ake
10-18-2015, 11:19 AM
Anybody complaining about Booker gaining all of his yards on two plays needs to watch some football before spouting off.

Leonard Fournette has 7SU in the highlight reel every week because he busts a number of big plays. But if you watch the games, he has plenty of carries that go for 2-4 yards.

The 2 yard jump on the grenade is what an offense must do to set up the big explosive runs.

ASU's run defense was the best I've seen in RES. We tried to go horizontal, we tried up the middle, our air game should have opened things up more before ASU's D cracked late in the game.

A great game called by A-Rod, and a really impressive performance by TW going through his reads and finding the openings and delivering the ball where it had to go. Booker going over 100 was well deserved, but the run stats were highly skewed.

LA Ute
10-18-2015, 12:10 PM
Is it fair to say this was TW's best game as a passing QB? The Oregon game was great but they weren't relentlessly blitzing him in that one. This was a solid performance of a mature QB. After all the trouble ASU has given him in the past it was great to see him vanquish them.

Diehard Ute
10-18-2015, 01:14 PM
I made the same comments that the coaches must believe ASU was stealing our play signals. Most of the second half Travis either went to the sideline or someone came in with the call.

The free kick after the safety seemed to snap Andy out of his kickoff funk. He kicked that one down to the ten and kicked touchbacks the rest of the night.

Scorcho
10-18-2015, 01:15 PM
Whitt said last night that Hansen is still currently the 3rd string QB and should be listed 1st on the depth chart come Spring. Hansen played because of an injury to backup safety Godfrey and Utah needed his athleticism.

NorthwestUteFan
10-18-2015, 03:42 PM
Ty Smith had some great moves after his catch. Very solid. I am excited for the future of this team, assuming we can keep much of our Offensive staff together.

Diehard Ute
10-18-2015, 06:44 PM
I didn't see this quote locally, but Todd Graham told the AZ media Tom Hackett is the "best I've ever seen"

LA Ute
10-18-2015, 08:34 PM
Kinda fun to watch Pita T. launch himself at Bercovici:

http://i.imgur.com/HjL5pyx.gif

This clip doesn't show the spin move he used to get past his blocker.

I heard Pita on the post-game show and he came across as a really pleasant, happy young guy.

SeattleUte
10-18-2015, 09:19 PM
Anyone watching the Colts-Pats game tonight? Apparently NFL teams also make bizarre trick calls that are horribly executed with disastrous consequences.

Old Standing ute
10-18-2015, 09:52 PM
Kinda fun to watch Pita T. launch himself at Bercovici:

http://i.imgur.com/HjL5pyx.gif

This clip doesn't show the spin move he used to get past his blocker.

I heard Pita on the post-game show and he came across as a really pleasant, happy young guy.

My son knows Pita, he has been in our home. he is a real character; goofy fun kind of kid.

LA Ute
10-18-2015, 10:16 PM
I'm watching the PAC-12 Football in 60 broadcast of the ASU game. I hadn't seen the first half until now. I'm glad I didn't see those two consecutive special teams failures live. That must have been awful! It's much better to see those knowing what is going to happen!

It's impressive to watch how dominating our defense was. ASU could do very little as the Utes pretty much imposed their will on the Sun Devils.

Utebiquitous
10-19-2015, 01:16 AM
LA,
It really is something to watch this defense and to see their mental resolve. Last week, I couldn't believe their ability to play at such a high level. They did it again Saturday at perhaps an even higher level. It was the defense that picked the team and the crowd up after the 3rd quarter special teams miscue. Following the safety, the defense did allow two big pass plays that got ASU to the 10-yard-line but then they stiffened. I've seen some mention of the dropped pass in the end zone on that particular possession but I give credit to Carter who hit the receiver right as the ball arrived. It was a huge turning point and got the crowd back involved after we were all a bit stunned by the thought we were down 15-14 having only allowed three offensive points to that time. The three points ASU ended up scoring was a definite victory for the U defense and the ship was righted.

By the way, I don't know that I've read anything about the crowd. In general these last three weeks Rice-Eccles has been rockin'; but I really have to tip my hat to the North end zone. The noise they generate is incredible.

NorthwestUteFan
10-19-2015, 07:57 AM
After Cal's coach bragged about crowds being a non-factor in the game (presumably because they use visual cues on offense) it was apparent the crowd affected Cal's receivers and perhaps even Goff.

Even On TV I could tell the crowd was raucous and loud, despite the rain.

If we would close in the SEZ to bring even more crowd noise into play we could end up with one of the best home field advantages in the league, rivalling Autzen.

Redbird
10-19-2015, 09:41 AM
After Cal's coach bragged about crowds being a non-factor in the game (presumably because they use visual cues on offense) it was apparent the crowd affected Cal's receivers and perhaps even Goff.

Even On TV I could tell the crowd was raucous and loud, despite the rain.

If we would close in the SEZ to bring even more crowd noise into play we could end up with one of the best home field advantages in the league, rivalling Autzen.

it rained during the Cal game?

U-Ute
10-19-2015, 10:24 AM

It was raining turnovers!

NorthwestUteFan
10-19-2015, 10:32 AM

My post was disjointed. I blame Tapatalk.

It rained during ASU and the crowd was amazing.

The crowd was also amazing for Cal and affected the game, although Sonny Dykes bragged it wouldn't be a problem.

chrisrenrut
10-19-2015, 11:22 AM
It was raining turnovers!

And Jared Goff's tears.

Utebiquitous
10-19-2015, 03:36 PM
Totally agree NWUte. I hear a lot of push back from the powers that be about the costs of closing in the endzone (adding seats). I think it's pretty evident the Wasatch Front and beyond U fans would sell out a 55,000 to 60,000 seat stadium. It would also allow athletics to move the students to the south endzone making the stadium one of the most formidable places to play.

No question Goff and Co. were affected by the North endzone fans and you could really see it Saturday whenever ASU was in the area. Throw out the difficulty that loud of a crowd makes for the opposition, I think it gives our defenders extra juice and confidence. Rice-Eccles is a helluva game day experience and it has nothing to do with marketing run amok and everything to do with a terrific football team and terrific fans.

Diehard Ute
10-19-2015, 03:45 PM
Totally agree NWUte. I hear a lot of push back from the powers that be about the costs of closing in the endzone (adding seats). I think it's pretty evident the Wasatch Front and beyond U fans would sell out a 55,000 to 60,000 seat stadium. It would also allow athletics to move the students to the south endzone making the stadium one of the most formidable places to play.

No question Goff and Co. were affected by the North endzone fans and you could really see it Saturday whenever ASU was in the area. Throw out the difficulty that loud of a crowd makes for the opposition, I think it gives our defenders extra juice and confidence. Rice-Eccles is a helluva game day experience and it has nothing to do with marketing run amok and everything to do with a terrific football team and terrific fans.

The argument about tickets sold and cost is just not a good one.

The U will spend well upwards of $50,000,000 for an expansion and make at best $2.5 million a year on the extra tickets.

The reality is the U has asked donors to fund $75 million in other athletics facilities in 3 years. It's going to take some time

(And never forget. Athletics does NOT own RES. They lease it and the JMHC for almost $1.7 Million a year. Athletics certainly is a big player at the table but they do not have the authority to make the call about anything at RES)

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-19-2015, 04:08 PM
Oregon State kickoff announced for 5 pm. Couldn't have picked a crappier time for a Halloween game.

Diehard Ute
10-19-2015, 04:15 PM
Oregon State kickoff announced for 5 pm. Couldn't have picked a crappier time for a Halloween game.

I'm thrilled. I can't get the night off work so any later and I'd miss the game.

People should quit being so pissed at the U though. They have absolutely no control over it, especially given our success.

U-Ute
10-19-2015, 04:19 PM
Utes thought ASU had deciphered their offensive signals.

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/3079812-155/utah-football-notes-utes-say-asu?fullpage=1

chrisrenrut
10-19-2015, 04:19 PM
I'm thrilled. I can't get the night off work so any later and I'd miss the game.

People should quit being so pissed at the U though. They have absolutely no control over it, especially given our success.

It's probably more about how crappy OSU is, since it is on the PAC-12 network instead of a bigger national network.

Diehard Ute
10-19-2015, 04:25 PM
It's probably more about how crappy OSU is, since it is on the PAC-12 network instead of a bigger national network.

Every school has to have 2 games on the P12 Network.

That being said if we weren't where we are this game would be a early afternoon kick. But we're drawing well enough to get the later Pac12 slot

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-19-2015, 05:25 PM

For the record, I know that the call was totally the conferences. Not pissed at anyone. I'm actually traveling for this game and was holding out a sliver of hope that I could do the game AND trick or treat with my kids. An 8 pm kickoff would have been perfect. But hard to be pissed to be eight games into the season for our first PAC-12 Network appearance. Pretty crazy how whiny the fan base has been this year despite the large network coverage. (My whiny exempted, of course.)

Diehard Ute
10-19-2015, 05:36 PM
For the record, I know that the call was totally the conferences. Not pissed at anyone. I'm actually traveling for this game and was holding out a sliver of hope that I could do the game AND trick or treat with my kids. An 8 pm kickoff would have been perfect. But hard to be pissed to be eight games into the season for our first PAC-12 Network appearance. Pretty crazy how whiny the fan base has been this year despite the large network coverage. (My whiny exempted, of course.)

I hate the 8PM kicks more than anyone, I have to burn a vacation day every time we have an 8 kick. (Even 5 or 6 means I either rush straight to work or miss some of the game)

I'd love afternoon kicks but I know that's just not realistic in the TV age.

I couldn't believe the stuff online

(Just like I can't believe Rich Rod is whining about 8PM kicks and filing a 'complaint')

Ma'ake
10-19-2015, 08:43 PM
Utes thought ASU had deciphered their offensive signals

I thought something was up. Pre snap the ASU players were talking a lot, and even though they blitz most of the time, there were more than a few run plays where they crowded the LOS and completely stuffed the run. It was like at the end of a game when an offense is just trying to run out the clock, and everyone in the stadium knows it will be a run; in those situations the offense rarely gets the first down.

I remember thinking, "they know what we're going to run". At first I was thinking it was just predictable play calling, but when we went with the huddle, the advantage they had disappeared.

Todd Graham is involved, so nothing is surprising, but in the era of Big Data and Analytics, and the level of competition in the PAC, we need to assume every team is doing some of that.

It's too bad the kickoff lateral didn't work, but I think it should a tradition for our coaches to have a half dozen plays ASU has never seen before.

LA Ute
10-19-2015, 10:57 PM
Utes thought ASU had deciphered their offensive signals.

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/3079812-155/utah-football-notes-utes-say-asu?fullpage=1

We never complained about that," he said. "It's our job to ensure that our signals are indecipherable. It's not their job to look the other way."

The right attitude, I think.

Utebiquitous
10-20-2015, 12:21 AM
Diehard,
Believe me - I get it. I was at the U a long time; but I can still hope for the day that the we enclose the south end zone. The price of doing so is far from what the U can get from tickets but the time is coming when it will happen. I will quibble with you on the athletics versus university issue. While technically you are right, if/when the decision is made to expand, the fund raising will happen largely through the ADs office. While the Olympics expansion benefitted immensely from public funds done through university relations, athletics drove a significant piece of the funding committing the Eccles to the project and raising matching funds.

Diehard Ute
10-20-2015, 04:54 AM
Diehard,
Believe me - I get it. I was at the U a long time; but I can still hope for the day that the we enclose the south end zone. The price of doing so is far from what the U can get from tickets but the time is coming when it will happen. I will quibble with you on the athletics versus university issue. While technically you are right, if/when the decision is made to expand, the fund raising will happen largely through the ADs office. While the Olympics expansion benefitted immensely from public funds done through university relations, athletics drove a significant piece of the funding committing the Eccles to the project and raising matching funds.

But that's exactly the point. Athletics has to raise the money to expand something they don't have any control over beyond asking.

I would guess the south end zone project is only 3-5 years off but I think you have to wait that long to somewhat recover from the huge projects that were recently funded.

The only way I see it happening sooner is an extremely large surprise donation.

As someone who sits in the south end zone I'm somewhat apprehensive about the change and not entirely confident those of us who have tickets there will be taken care of.